Speaker 1: Steve Rivera and Jacob Salads. They have their eye on the ball on Tucson's sports station CHET, Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Down the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm your host, Jagan's Allas for the day. Steve is up, he will be back tomorrow. I've got Ryan Dunn, good friend, a good friend of the show here as a co host with me. And I've got Henry and Henry's loaded up with breaking news.
Speaker 1: This is on the ball breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Sean Elliott is recovering in a San Antonio hospital last night after his Apple Watch detected and regular heartbeat, which resulted in an atriolation procedure that was successful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he Which is funny because I wear an Apple Watch and I didn't know that they would alert me to that. I do know that if you if you're wearing an Apple Watch and you fall, you'll you'll get a notification on your watch and last it'll say because this happened to my sister this morning, it'll say, it appears you have fallen. Do we need to call nine one one? And I'm like, okay, that's kind of cool, because you know, I don't get on a ladder anymore, but if I did, and now I know if I go down, I got it. But yeah, Sean Elliott his his according to his wife, Claudia posted on Instagram that the watched and detected an irregular heartbeat. They checked him out and it turned out he had to have surgery. So he's in uh, he's in hospital in San Antonio recovering from That's crazy stuff.
Speaker 4: I mean, how awesome is technology. Sometimes sometimes it's a pain, But right in that situation, I mean, that's something he probably may have never found out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he never would have known. And the post, the post and the stories that you've read afterwards actually said that it had been going on for like a couple of weeks and then finally they paid attention to it when it got him checked out, and the next thing, you know, he needs surgery. And the danger of that when you've got atrial fibrillation, it can oz you know, issues with your heart and lead to a stroke. So pretty lucky guy. I when I first read that he's in the hospital, I thought, oh ope, this doesn't have something to do with his kidney, because maybe had to have a kidney transplant. He got a kidney from his brother. I was hoping it wasn't related to that. Uh, there's a picture of him. He's smiling. He's in the hospital. H So, you know, good luck to him, and I'm glad they caught this because you would hate to see something happen to him. He's had, you know, enough health issues. Has had a great career. He's an announcer for the for the Santa Kutin Spurs. He was on the show just a couple of months ago, and we were looking to get him on again pretty soon. So we'll we'll let him rest and recover and then we'll get back with him. So thank you.
Speaker 3: The Arizona Duke game of his next season has been pushed a week earlier to Friday, November twenty second.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was kept on the twenty ninth. That was gonna be a fun weekend. It's still gonna be a fun weekend. But when it was originally scheduled, it was gonna be the night before the ACU football game here. I mean, what great weekend that that would be. Probably wear a lot of fans out. But man, if you can say I'm going to the Duke game tonight, them going to this U game tomorrow, but they've pushed it or backed it up a week so it's the night before Arizona goes on the road against TCU.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was just gonna mention, Yeah, for those for those following Arizona football, is that TCU that that same weekend?
Speaker 2: And also that's the night before l TOTY Tucson, which I'm still I'm still haven't started my training, but I've committed to going thirty two miles in that thing. So we'll see. But I'll be working the Duke game the night before either way. But just you know what, better than them saying, you know what, we had to change schedules. It's not happening. Play whenever you want played it, you know, three in the afternoon on a Wednesday. I don't really care. It's gonna be It's gonna be fun.
Speaker 3: Noah Fefida and t Mac have been named to the preseason Maxwell Award watch list.
Speaker 2: That's one of those awards that's for the best player in college football. So you know, it's not the Heisman, but it's kind of like.
Speaker 4: And there's no surprise there, right, No, right, those two guys, certainly there's no surprise that they're on the list.
Speaker 2: Right, They're getting a lot of attention. You know, a lot of debate. Is no feat of the best quarterback in the Big twelve. They've got some good quarterbacks. You know, we just talked about Cam Rising, the quarterback at Kansas State's supposed to be really good. The quarterback at Kaan's supposed to be really good. A lot of discussion of that. And you know, Team Mac arguably one of the best, if not the best receiver in the country going in at least, so yeah, I'm not a surprise to see them nominated for the Maxwell Award.
Speaker 3: The Team USA Women's defeated Japan one hundred and two to seventy six in their first Olympic game Asia. Wilson had twenty four points and thirteen rebounds.
Speaker 2: That was ugly. I had that on and I was watching it, and then I was really upset at myself for not taking the ladies minus the twenty points. But you know, they're really good. They've just got better play and everybody else.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Again, they're you know, similar to the men. I mean from top to bottom that they should be favored in every game they play. That just because of their depth and definitely showed in round one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, interesting comments by Don Staley. She was on the in the studio show down if you saw that yesterday after the men's game, and they started talking about the women's team. She had an interest anything to say. She said that at the time that they that they put the team together, she didn't think Caitlin Clark should have been on the team, But she said today, based on what she's seen since then, she feels like maybe she.
Speaker 4: Has a strong possibility. Yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe she should have been on the team, or at least could have been on the team. I thought that was really interesting for her to say that.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, she could have totally avoided that question, right, but yeah, she was very honest of me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, you know what, she's what twenty two years old, maybe twenty three, she'll have some Olympics to playing.
Speaker 5: This is.
Speaker 2: Diana Tarassi's fourth, sixth, six, sixth Olympics. Twenty four years of Olympics.
Speaker 4: Come on, that's crazy, but really cool.
Speaker 2: Henry wasn't born when she played in her first Olympics. That's crazy stuff I heard. I'm like, wait, I'm doing the math. I'm like six Olympics twenty four years. I can do that. Six times four is twenty four nuts to think that she's been in that many Olympics and she's forty two forty four yeah, so you know she's very young when she played in her first one. But holy cow, I think this is her last one, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you would you would, you would think think so.
Speaker 2: You would think. But they were, they killed them, so it's gonna be. Well, they've won what eight straight, so I think eighth straight Olympic Olympic Golds is where I think they are. So the expectation is that they'll win this thing. But they look pretty damn good and they again players all over the floor, sabria I and Escu. You know, I watched her a bunch. She was really good. So Kelsey plumb, you know, jacking it up from all over the place. Britney grinder. Nobody's got. Nobody else has a Brittany grinder?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 6: What is she?
Speaker 2: Six? Eight?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I believe so yeah, come.
Speaker 2: On, man, that's not even fair. That's not even fair.
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 6: What else?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Just an overall metal update usas and first with twenty medals, Francis and second with sixteen medals, in Japan is in third with twelve medals.
Speaker 4: But the last count I saw US does not lead in gold medals yet right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I watched there was a man's race I believe it was one hundred meter or maybe two hundred meter freestyle, and a US guy was leading the whole way and they ran him down in the in the in the stretch and he finished third behind a Romanian guy and then a Canadian guy.
Speaker 4: Speaking of swimming is awesome to watch in the Olympics, and to me, it's because of Dan Hicks and Rowdy Gains. Those guys are so good together and they make it so exciting. Obviously Dan Hicks with his tuc Son ties, but I just think those two guys are just so good together on the broadcast that it just makes it even more exciting.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 2: They add to the event, they really do with their calls, and they I mean, you feel like you're watching, you know, the most exciting thing that's ever happened, right, And it's every race. I mean, they've got to they make those calls for every single race and they're great, and that one was incredible because you know, with the technology that they have now, you can see how far ahead they are. You can see if somebody's gaining, you see their times, and and as as they're going along, and about halfway on the about halfway down on the last lap, so the last twenty five meters, you thought they're going to catch him. And then they did, and you and you know, he got the bronze. He hit the wall and he looks up and he was you could tell he was not I can't I don't even know his name, but you could tell he was not happy. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And it was a similar thing yesterday in the in the men's hundred breast three finishers, two guys tied for silver, which they touched the wall the exact same, exact same time, which it was unbelievable. There were six guys I mean with within you know, that could have won.
Speaker 2: The race, right, incredible. The swimming, the swimming is great. I love I love watching that. What are your favorite Olympics?
Speaker 4: Watching the Olympics, Yeah, I mean swimming to me is especially like the speed races, like one hundred meters, fifty meters, stuff like that. I mean that's that stuff is a lot of fun. But uh, you know, I I like a lot of it. I mean, I like watching softball when there's softball in the Olympics. I like watching track and fields some of those events against to me, the speed events are really fun to watch.
Speaker 2: Well, I was being speaking of speed events. I was telling you off there. I watched some table tennis on Uh. I don't know if it was yesterday morning or Saturday morning. It must have been. I don't know, but I'm watching those guys and I'm like, that's how do you play that? How do you play like that? Right? I mean we were making fun of their serves and stuff because they're just so so precise. But that's an unbelievable sport.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and is that along with badminton. I watched some highlights of badminton last night when I was catching up on the coverage, and uh, some of those rallies, I mean, guys diving and keeping it in play and just going back and forth, and it's it's incredible, some of those rallies in both table tennis and badminton.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think beach volleyball has become one of my favorite sports, both the men's and the women's. I think to me that that looks like as grueling a sport as there can be, because you got you got two people trying to cover a volleyball.
Speaker 4: Court, and you kind of mentioned it earlier. But you don't have to sit there for three hours, right, I mean, it's it's quick. I mean you can get a match in in forty five minutes. You know, you've had your fill of action, and it's pretty quick.
Speaker 2: And it's quick, all right, Henry.
Speaker 3: The MLB trade deadlines tomorrow at three pm Pacific. There was a three team trade between the Dodgers, Cardinals, and White Sox earlier, where the Dodgers got Tommy Edmund and Michael Kopek, the Cardinals got Eric Fetty and Tommy fam and the White Sox got prospects Miguel Vargas, Alexander Albertis, and Jerrol Perez.
Speaker 2: Oh, the Dodgers sent Miguel Vargas over Okay, all right, I've not never even heard of the two guys they got, so all I know is that the Dodgers bullpen is the pits. I think I could pitch for the Dodger bullpen because they were just they got they got obliterated. Saturday night. They had they were beating the Astros like four nothing or five nothing lost it in the last and well the extra innings. It gets into extra innings and then the relief pitcher comes in the bottom of the tenth, throws one pitch. Bregman hits it out of the park and game over. And they blew a game that they should have won. Did come back and win yesterday, but that one was dicey two. Uh a close. Came into the into the ninth inning, got some guys on base, and they and they, the Leavers did what they needed to do. Dodgers lost two out of three to the Astros, and I hate the Astros. We've talked about grudges all last week, and they're one of mine. I've evalvated that to a personal grudge against Jose Al Twove. He's with all my other grudges like girlfriends and stuff like that that I have. So watching the Astros do what they did to the Dodgers over the weekend, really just the Saturday game. Dodge beat him up on Friday five zip, I mean the Astros did. Dodgers had him on Saturday, blew the game. At least they came back and got one, so I was okay with that.
Speaker 3: The Mariners acquired Justin Turner from the Blue Jays for to be named later prospects.
Speaker 2: I guess yeah. My wife he was a big is a big fan of Justin Turner. And I say that proudly because of the fact that she's a fan of a baseball player. Uh, and he was with the Dodgers for lot of years, went to the Red Sox. We actually got to see him when we went to a Red Sox game at Fenway last year. And uh, then he got traded to the Blue Jays. My wife said, I'm not buying a Blue Jay's T shirt. And now if he's over at the Mariner, so I'm gonna have to break the news start to night sometime.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: Last aga, Jonathan Vegas won the three M Opened yesterday and it was seven years since his last ggas were winning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was cool. I mean that's a guy that he's a guy that you don't expect to win at this point in his career, all right, and that was you know, he's not a guy that you see competing towards the top of the leaderboard weekend and week out, and uh, you know three M Open, Uh you know, catches fire and gets a win.
Speaker 2: Do you catch you into that. Did you see the last hole? His last hole, he had like a seventy foot putt that ninety nine feet is that what it was? Ninety nine and he had the two putt to win it, and then he lays one up there like three. I mean, that's a pro right, only they can do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's one that you probably don't practice a whole bunch, but you know, he may have dropped one down in the practice rounds on that green and hit a couple from that distance. But yeah, pretty.
Speaker 2: Cool, now, it was very cool. It was great to see. I was happy with my guy, Sahi Thigala, who finished six, although he bogied the last hole and cost me a couple of points in our pool. But I'm still up there, so but I was, you know, I was. I was okay with him. He did all right, He hung in there all weekend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had Tony and he was top fifteen, so you know, can't be disappointed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he did all right. So all right, we're gonna take our next break. Nice job, Henry. We're going to come back. We've got Greg Hanson getting ready to join us. We're gonna talk some Arizona football. Greg's been doing some work on some of the big twelve teams around the league, trying to help us get familiar with them. So and then we've got practice starting a day after tomorrow. There's a a Brent Brandon press conference tomorrow, so we'll get some of Greg's thoughts as football season is here, so stick around.
Speaker 9: The Windows Depot is more than a Windows store. The Window Depot is a one softwarehouse with everything you need for your complete Homer model. Shop the aisles of pre built cabinets in a variety of colors, granite and courts, counter talks, sinks, skylights, and hardware to complete your project. Need a custom order, we can help. Our designers offer free design services and can special order everything you need for your kitchen, our bathroom remodel.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 9: Shop the Window Deepot dot com our find a location near you. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 10: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 6: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 7: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 11: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading.
Speaker 4: Edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 11: On twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 7: Did you know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting records sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantle So for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie So for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable if you want to start a collection or expand your collection. Check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's show Time Cards at Noble Home Loans.
Speaker 12: We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpe is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com that's Volpe team dot com or called five two oh six one eight five six two six today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona BKO Ninez two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity now to commitment to Lyndrix syn Credit rates and available loan programs of subject to change with un notice.
Speaker 13: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your companies. Giveaways keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit their Creative Awards idea center at two twenty eight West Drackman Street or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 6: Guy bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera and Jacon Salis they have their eye on the ball on Tucson Sports Deiga, Fox Sports fourteen fifty streaming live.
Speaker 6: I'm the Ihad Radio app.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to vaull you know, Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm jagon Zalez, your host for the day. Steve Rivera's out until tomorrow, you'll be back. I've got Ryan Dunn, I'm a good friend of the show here joining us today. Henry's on the board, just finished up with breaking news. And on the phone. We've got Greg Hanson, the Lovable should we call you Lovable Dragon? The long time, I'll just say long time. The sports columnists at the Airzon Daily start semi retired, hanging out up in Colorado where snights and cool and playing all the golf he can stand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want to know how the golf game is.
Speaker 5: Today. I was awful, so unfortunately I'll get to go back tomorrow. Try again.
Speaker 4: But it's not one hundred and five degrees where you're at exactly.
Speaker 5: Oh it was my furness came on this morning. Really I did.
Speaker 2: Wow. Well, I played in a furnace on Saturday. I played at one o'clock on Saturday afternoon at El Rio and it was so hot and so muggy. I told I told Ryan. I was grinding at the twelfth hole. Usually it takes me. Usually I get to fifteen before the grind comes on. I got to twelve and I thought I might not finish, but then I did, So what are you gonna do? It was fun?
Speaker 5: But hasn't there been a terrific month soon?
Speaker 4: It's been awesome yeaheah Yeah.
Speaker 2: A lot of rain, a lot of rain here. The courses are in great shape. I played so Wilo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we played so Wilo together and it was.
Speaker 2: We played the two week two saturdays ago. It was awesome.
Speaker 4: It was in as good as shape for a summer golf course in Tucson that I probably have ever seen since I've lived here.
Speaker 5: I'm glad to hear it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very cool. Well, Greg, so we wanted we want to get you on to talk about you know, it's kind of like, okay, here's the Big twelve. Arizona's in it. I know it's a few more days before they're you know, technically in the Big twelve, but they're in the Big twelve. They're getting ready for a Big twelve season. Practice starts this week. A lot to learn about who the Big twelve is. Uh, you guys at there's on daily Star, are are doing you start doing what you're you're calling a big twelve blitz to kind of give readers a sense of who all these programs are in the various sports. You talked about this thing with Kansas State where we almost got Jack Hartman as the coach here back in eighty two instead of all Sadden all those things. I mean, there's some history, but then there's not. Right, you're kind of your thoughts right now on Arizona in the Big Twelve. What I mean, what does it feel like to you?
Speaker 5: I've done research on the schools for about the last three weeks, and you talked about no history. You know, Arizona's never played West Virginia, never played Central Florida, never played Cincinnati, only played Baylor once, only played TCU twice. There is no history except with PC, except with Texas Tech. And stun met to find out that Texas Tech has the best record against Arizona than any opponent in history. They are twenty five and four against Arizona. Texas Tech.
Speaker 4: Go ahead.
Speaker 5: So it's both good and bad, and I think it's uh. I think the fans are going to be caught a little off guard at how good the Big Twelve is in football. The remaining Big Twelve teams and how how into it they are because if you look, if you look at their attendance capacity last year, ninety seven percent or more. Baylor, BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, and Central Florida all had ninety seven percent or more capacity at home. And that is not the Pac.
Speaker 2: Twelve, not at all that that's crazy. We've talked about that, you know, we had We've talked to, you know, some of the former play Arizona players who we ask them, is it harder to go play where the stadium is full and they're on top of you and they're yelling at you and it's loud and you can't hear, Or is it harder to go play like at you know, with twenty thousand people at the Rose Bowl or twenty thousand people at Stanford, And unanimously they prefer to go play where the place is nuts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like the Big they remain in Big twelve. There's no Horseshoe, there's no Big House, there's no Happy Valley. But every single school except Houston has one of those places like Utah fifty two thousand packed, right, and that's that's gonna be a weekly thing. Yes, I didn't realize it was gonna be that tough.
Speaker 2: And then think about the other way, right, their fans are gonna travel, They're gonna come here, right because they you know, first of all, Tuson's new to them. They're gonna they're gonna come and and you know, all of a sudden, you're gonna be at a state, you know, the state. Remember that Iowa game. How many Iowa fans were at that Iowa game in the Mike Stoops.
Speaker 5: Years fifty seven thousand and Tucson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that was that was nuts. I remember that or the that I think when when Arizona played Ohio State and Dick Tomey's last year, all how Steak fans were buying Arizona season tickets so they could have tickets to the game.
Speaker 5: It's Arizona sans are going to have to step up to match what they're going to face. You were to remember this one, Jay. Didn't you go to the Texas Tech game in nineteen eighty nine?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You and I went to that.
Speaker 5: Yes, remember it wasn't very impressive then. Remember it was.
Speaker 2: No Yeah, it's kind of a rinky station.
Speaker 5: And it was a dumpy Town, right. Well, I went there about twenty years later when Stoops was coaching Oklahoma to do a store on Stoops maybe becoming Arizona coach. And it was completely redone fifty seven thousand, as good as any stadium in the PAC twelve. And I looked it up the other day. Every they've had one hundred percent capacity for fifteen straight years. That's I mean, that's going to be wicked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if you're you know, you brought up Texas Tech in the record against Arizona. Texas Tech when they're a zone was was in the whack, so we're talking. You know, in the seventies, Texas Tech was Arizona's big game. Every year they would play them, and Texas Tech was there was the USC right that, you know, they're Texas Tech. They're in the Southwest Conference, you know, and then the Comunian and kick Arizona's ass every year except one that I remember where Arizona was down like I think I think we were down twenty eight to three at halftime or something like that, and they came back and won the game. It was one of the greatest games I've ever seen. But that was the big game. If you could beat Texas Tech, you're somebody. That's how it was here at Arizona when they were in the whack and it took.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they tried to get in the Big twelve for like twenty five years and they finally let them in like what nineteen seventy seven or so, And you and A fans have no idea how tough they are. Yeah, yeah, I mean Mike Leach went to didn't Mike Leach go to nine straight Bowl games in Texas Tech?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, they're they're they're they're they're good and they're tough, and we we you know, there's A played them a couple of times since then. Didn't they play them during the Sunland years? Right? Then there's I think there's on to beat them here? Didn't they Ryan?
Speaker 4: You know, I'm thinking back at that, I.
Speaker 2: Think colil te Uh.
Speaker 4: But didn't we get drilled at Texas? Yes, that was the one that we got just annihilated right from the beginning.
Speaker 2: Right Or was that Houston?
Speaker 4: But that may have been that may have been Houston.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they haven't played Texas Tea.
Speaker 2: I thought I've got a confused with Houston played them here?
Speaker 4: Well, I still you know.
Speaker 2: One of the great stories I tell Greg about that that eighty nine game was when you and I walked out of the stadium and we were going through after they got just blasted. Remember James Gray ran for like five hundred yards. Yeah, And we were walking out of the stadium and we were we were going through Arizona schedule, and we ended up with them at three and eight. And and then the next week they beat Oklahoma here remember that.
Speaker 5: That's six to three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm like, how the hell does that happen? Because they they looked awful in that game against Texas Tech, and we were surprised. We thought, oh, it's Texas Tech. You're going to go over there and beat them. And then they got they got killed, and we walked out and I think one of us said, they're going three and eight.
Speaker 5: That was probably me. You were probably joked to the Remember you had to drive up to the border of the county to buy a beer.
Speaker 2: To get a beer, That's another one of the great stories that I loved telling them about going to Lubbock is that you had to you had to go to the county line to get beer. That was funny. So we got enough to fill up a bathtub, is what I recall.
Speaker 5: Sure.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 5: One thing I found out about the Big Twelve of the last few weeks. You know, in the last five years, Cincinnati, Central Florida, and TCU all have had a thirteen whim season them.
Speaker 2: Wow wow wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's incredible.
Speaker 2: That's scary.
Speaker 5: Actually, I was thinking Cincinnati would be the one thing you could probably win. But they had one hundred and five percent capacity at a home game last year. Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and Arizona doesn't even get Cincinnati this year.
Speaker 2: And yeah, well, you know lucky. Steve and I were Steve and I were running through the schedule the other day, and we can't we mark Central Florida as a loss. I mean, you know, well they're tough, you know, we we don't know how good they're going to be. But you know, there's a lot of questions about them. But one traveling over there, and that's another place that just they packed the house. They packed the house. That's stifling heat over there. But that's gonna be interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they call it the bounce house. So they must have one of those things going like Wisconsin, does you know how Wisconsin?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, twenty.
Speaker 5: Thousand students go crazy. I think Central Florida has something similar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, what is there a team this year? Let's not counting the Pac twelve teams that have moved over to the Big twelve. Of the Big twelve teams that you know from last year, who's the most intriguing team to you that maybe that's on Arizona schedule, or it doesn't have to be on Arizona schedule, But who's the most intriguing team to you?
Speaker 5: You know, it might be the state because of course it's been thirty years. Remember Sports Illustrators did a story on cover story Kansas State. The headline said, futility you worst team in college football for thirty years. Since then, believe it or not, they've finished in the top twenty five twenty one times. Kansas State. I had no idea. Yeah, they're tough every single year. How do they do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's got to be a I mean it's got to be a very tough place to recruit players too. But you know, they're not reeling in top twenty five classes recruiting classes every year, but they have their way of identifying the right kids.
Speaker 5: I think they're the number one school in the country at recruiting solid, contributing junior college players. And we remember how good that philosophy is because Dick Tomey milked it right in Kansas to Bill Snyder, the coach Kansas State. They named the stadium after him. That guy's a Hall of Famer life almost nobody else. He rebuilt the whole thing. And plus they hired a really good coach replace and they hired this was it, the North Dakota State coach Klinman, A good one like poor national titles. And that's working. And you know that's going to be a long afternoon. Well there was on a place there right in mid September.
Speaker 2: Well, they had to State in a non conference game. It's a non conference game. It's the third game of the season, and it's on a Friday night. It's a seven o'clock game. Their time, five o'clock our time. I was gonna ask you about that. So we're talking to Greg Hanson from the Arizona Daily Star. Greg, that game it's a non conference game, so in the in the sense it doesn't matter for the conference race, that's a game that matters though. That's what we're gonna find out a little bit, maybe a lot, about this Arizona football team.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, because they are battle tested year after year. They haven't had their ups and downs like Arizona does. And they average fifty seven thousand at home, I mean fifty Arizona can now only draw fifty thousand. Yeah, I mean it's gonna be that's gonna be one of the hardest games of the year. That's not gonna be like going to cal or Stafford or even a su Right, and.
Speaker 4: Not to mention, Arizona has to go and play Utah in their next in their next game, which is their first Big twelve game, so on the road.
Speaker 5: I mean b YU averages sixty five thousand fans at home. Yeah, but that's going to be a war.
Speaker 2: I don't like those guys, I know, And look, I've got history with those guys, okay, I you know, went through the whack years with those guys. I've never liked b YU.
Speaker 4: You remember Kevin Someone's Was it the first game of his of his second year here.
Speaker 2: Right up in Phoenix, wouldn't that? Wasn't that the game to play? I'm talking about the one we're here in Tucson.
Speaker 4: Was it? Was it his first year where we opened with b YU here and kind of laid an egg and uh, I just remember there was tons of b YU fans here. Everybody, everybody on Arizona's side was very excited for Khalil Tate and Kevin Someone, and it kind of was, uh the beginning of of of some bad things to come.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 5: Well, so I will I will say this now. I'm guessing b YU has one of the top ten stadiums in the country home stadiums, and people in the West always say, no Husky Stadium to a beautiful lake right there. But Jake and I remember walking off the field the Husky Stadium one year and it was pouring down and we both said, who would ever want to live there? B YU doesn't have that. B YU has those gorgeous mountains right behind the stadium. I think BYU Stadium is better than Husky State.
Speaker 4: It is. Yeah, it is beautiful.
Speaker 2: Your your your your memory is correct, Ryan. Uh. It was actually Kevin Someone's first game. Yeah yeah, b YU here got b twenty eight twenty three. Uh, and then went.
Speaker 4: To Houston and then we opened in Vegas against b YU and Jed fishes first.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, But then they got obliterated by Houston at Houston and then I'll have I'll it just went to hell in a hand basket from that point on, and it was awful. Hey, Greg, thanks a bunch, you know. I know, well, I'm gonna say stay warm right because your furnace is coming on in the middle middle of summer.
Speaker 4: What is it about seventy degrees.
Speaker 5: For the high seventy.
Speaker 2: I literally I literally melted on Saturday afternoon. I got home and okay, this is the sign. I came home from God and I didn't even take off my golf shoes. I left my golf shoes on until I got in the house, threw myself on the bed and kicked them off. That I just left my golf shoes on there. They're in my closet now instead of out with my golf with my golf bag. It was that bad. So oh man, all right.
Speaker 5: Man, at least you're not going to every day, you know.
Speaker 2: I almost miss campco Cheese. I think, if you know, if they were down in campco Cheese, i'd go down there for maybe do a radio show or two. That would be fun. I didn't know that of the year I had fun down there. I know I did. I got to go once, but I had a blast.
Speaker 4: I'd love to go down there. I think it'd be great.
Speaker 2: It was so cool. It was so cool and Greg, Greg was a legend down there in Douglas hanging out over there.
Speaker 5: It was disbey.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you're going to Bisbee as well. Hey, thanks again, Greg.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 2: Well, well we'll catch you on the rebound a little bit and enjoy the rest of your summer and we'll see you in a sometime soon. Thanks a bunch. Thanks see Greg, that was fun. Greg Hansen from there is on a Daily Star again. We're talking. We're starting to talk Big twelve football like it's here, right, So this is this is very cool. The Kansas State game. I mean, I'm telling you that's that's gonna be huge.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a big game. Obviously, it's not a conference game this year. However, you don't want to go down there and get beat like a drum. Yeah, you know that that could uh be the precursor for some bad things the rest of the season. Right.
Speaker 2: I think it's an important game for the psyche of the team, but also for the psyche of the fans. Right If as you said, if they go out there and get blasted with all the expectations that Arizona has right now, it's gonna and then, as you said, then you gotta go to Utah. So you know, the ideally, if you want, if you're looking for what you hope for, the best from that is for Arizona would be three and one in its first four games. Split those two games, split Kansas State and Utah, as hard as that might be. But don't be surprised if they're two and two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no question. I mean, certainly from my perspective, you'd want to win the Utah game since it does done as a conference game. But right so, if you had to pick one, which one is harder? I think Kansas State's going to be harder, you think, personally? Yeah, absolutely, Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, well know and now we're we're not that far away from that. Okay, we're going to take our last break. We'd love to hear from you five two zero four one, six seventy four forty uh, if you've got some thoughts on on you know, the Big twelve, what it's going to be like, what you expect to see from their fans coming here? Are you signing a road trip somewhere in the Big twelve. Would love to hear that. Give us a call five to two zero four one six four forty.
Speaker 10: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 8: Hi, this is formal while get leman huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 6: And your life.
Speaker 8: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freewaight equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shureroom today at twenty second in Wilmot, Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 14: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. Pemac Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule, with over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, It's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PMA dot edu slash someday. Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars Saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big what your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home, and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash ten k chare lench to get started today, been really insured and CUA.
Speaker 4: Do you want to be part of a winning team?
Speaker 7: A Team Security is looking for friendly, outgoing event security guards and event staff to be a part of our team. We've been providing our outstanding services to some of Arizona's biggest sporting events and concerts.
Speaker 4: For over twenty years. We want you to join the action.
Speaker 7: A Team offers a fun and exciting opportunity to work in the sports and entertainment industry, with flexible schedules that are perfect for those looking for a part.
Speaker 2: Time job or a second income.
Speaker 6: Come be a part of a winning team.
Speaker 7: The A Team apply online today at a teamsecurity dot net, extreamly Live.
Speaker 6: I mean iHeartRadio WAF.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jacobzalez on Fox sportsporteen fifteen.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to On the Bogging Out Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm your host, Jacob Zalez, sitting in for Steve, who is normally in this CT. He'll be back tomorrow. I've got Ryan Dunn, one of our great friends and a friend of the show, and uh we got Henry running the show. So you know, I promise you will talk a little bit about your business. Uh you got TGA Premier Sports. Uh, you got after school and summer programs for kids. Just tell us a little bit about what's going on now. Your school's getting ready to start. How can kids, you know, sign up for your for your programs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're we're starting the grind. So today we were at a couple of schools for their back to school events. Our registration is now open for most of the schools that we're going to be in. So uh, people are are registering right now. They're kids for for after school programs. And so if if your kids are in one of the schools that we're at, take a look at our website PLAYTGA dot com, slash Tucson and uh, all the information is there and what schools we're currently at, and uh we're always looking to grow and and add some more schools.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm a huge proponent. I mean I you know, I grew up at a time when there were after school programs I put on by your school, elementary school. We had we had flag football, we had basketball, we had softball and baseball, and we had not baseball, probably softball, we had kickball. Right where you would just stay after school for an hour hour and a half, you know, and play sports and you were on teams and you know, all the elementary schools in our in our I was in the Sunnyside School District or I think there were six elementary schools at the time. We had leagues, you know, and you had you had you know, district championships in the whole bit, and it was like it was so cool and and so often now you go to school and you go home, or you go to school and you go to the babysit or whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's and our program is nice because you get to leave your kids at school for you know, that hour hour and a half and uh, you know, schools, especially elementary schools, get out so early that you know, I know, parents have a difficult time of picking their kids up. So our program is nice because you could leave your kid at school for for that extra time and you know they they're doing and something active, they're playing sports. We bring all the equipment. You don't have to buy any equipment. You don't have to send your kid with anything. So it's really nice that you know, they can learn something, especially the younger kids that haven't participated in any organized sports, right, the kindergarteners, the first graders, and they're kind of just getting their feet wet and some of that stuff. So it's it's our program's really good for that stuff to kind of get get those kids involved somehow.
Speaker 2: What sports do you offer? What sports can they can they come and be a part of.
Speaker 4: So golf, tennis, pickleball, cheerleading, flag football, floor hockey, lacrosse, ultimate frisbee, and volleyball.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow, a lot of fun stuff. And again, just get out and get active, right, I mean, that's that's really what it is. Just get out, get active, do some stuff, meet some other kids, play, you know, play these things with kids, because those were things that we naturally did growing up, whether we went to an after school program or we met after school somewhere. You know, I lived literally right outside the gate of an elementary school and that was where we did. We played baseball there, we played basketball there, we played football there. And there were neighborhood kids that went and did this. This is kind of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And uh, you know another thing is you know we hear from parents all the time that you know, parents are so busy, you know, most most of the time, both parents are working, and you know, they don't want to have to take their kid from school and then have to take them home and then have to take them to another practice. And you know, it's just a revolving cycle. So our our program is nice because you know, really it's just you get that extra time as a parent, your kids learning, your kids participating, and you know you're not having to drive them all over the place.
Speaker 2: All right, give us a website again.
Speaker 4: It's PLAYTGA dot com slash Tucson.
Speaker 2: All right, go on there, and you know, find find something for your kid to do, cause it's it's just fun. And even if they're in a you know, you know, oh we play little league, we play soccer whatever, but you know, do other stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely. Uh. You know, we just started pickleball last year and uh that's quickly becoming one of our most popular sports. I mean, it's really taken off. So we're offering more pickleball this year at some schools. We'll probably have some some camps. We've done some summer camps this year and they went really well.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, all right, So okay, so we were talking about road trips, right, You mentioned off fair you've got a couple of road trips in mind for yourself and your family.
Speaker 4: Yeah, going to Utah and going to b YU. So the two Utah trips we've got, we've got our stuff booked and we're we're heading on those on those two trips.
Speaker 2: What have you been to those places already?
Speaker 4: Before I've been to Utah, I've been to b Yu. I've been in the stadium. I have not been to a game. So you know, both great places, both nice stadiums, both really really nice backdrops with the mountains and everything. So uh yeah, b y U is really nice.
Speaker 2: Well, and we have seen you know how b YU fans are. You know, they've come here and they come here in in loads. We you know, we had Arizona play them up in Phoenix one time. Arizona fans were out numbered there. Played you know Jed Fish's first year they played in Vegas, Vegas. Yeah, totally outnumbered there. You know, again, as as Greg said, Arizona fans are gonna have to step it up with the joining the Big twelve because every stadium in Arizona goes to it's going to be like that. And then so you got to make it like that. When they come here as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean looking up and down the schedule, you look at the Big twelve games. Obviously the Kansas State game counts as a non conference game, but you expect that game to be sold out, Right, they go to Utah, you expect that game to be sold out. B YU, you expect that to be sold out. And then a few weeks later at UCF, I know they have a big promotion going on that night and it's always full anyways, so you expect that to be sold out, and then you close it out a few weeks later at TCU, and you know they historically have to.
Speaker 2: They were in the National Championship two years ago. Yeah, so it's going to be in. It's gonna be a tough road again. Players love that, right, they'd rather do that than go to the Rose Bowl and there's twenty five thousand people there, those kinds of things, and but it's still gonna be hard. It's gonna be hard for them to go play at those places.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, And it's a it's gonna be a different brand of football. It's uh, you know, I think a lot more offense that you're going to see in the Big twelve. And you know, you always hear about guys from Texas and high school football in Texas, and there's gonna be plenty of plenty of guys from Texas on all these rock Riders, and uh, you know, even even a guy that's a three star player from Texas is typically a lot better than some of the some players from other places, right may be rated higher.
Speaker 2: Well, And again, you know, I don't know that I don't want to sit here and downplay expectations because there's a lot of huge expectations pars on a football. Uh people, you know, we should win ten games and those kinds of things. This is going to be hard, and every game on the road is going to be hard. You should almost expect to lose when you go on the road, just because of how hard it's going to be to play. But on the other hand, you know, you're good enough now where you should be able to defend what you've got. And there's some good teams coming in here. We talked about Texas Tech's got to come here, who.
Speaker 4: West Virginia, Colorado?
Speaker 2: Who knows what the hell Colorado is going to be, right, But you know they weren't very good last year. In Arizona, you know, beat him at the buzzer last year. So you know that's not good. That's not gonna be an easy game. You know for Arizona. They've got guys remains to be seeing what they're going to look like. But that's not going to be easy. I you knows, as much as I hate to say it, you know, Kenny Dillingham and what they're going to be better than they were last year. I know Arizona obliterated him last year. I wish it had they had beat him seventy to seven. They didn't, but they knocked the crap out of them, But you can't expect that again this year. His his program is getting better.
Speaker 4: Yeah that that game to me is always kind of a coin flip too. No matter who's good and who's bad, you always you know, last year, I went to the game in timp and I was certainly nervous for that game, even though they weren't very good, right, you just never know they're gonna pull out all the stops, no matter how good or bad they are, to try to beat Arizona.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I expected, you know, to be a lot of fun. But you know, Arizona fans have to understand it's winning eight games, okay, is going to be really hard. Absolutely, just as even giving the you know, the two that they should win at the beginning with New Mexico and NAU at six more games you got to win to get to eight.
Speaker 4: Who were I would call eight wins a really good season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there's gonna be some people who are They're gonna say eight wins isn't good enough?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean Steve and I went through the schedule. We came up with eight, and that's counting we had them losing all the road games. No, I think we had him beating by U, had him losing at Utah, had him losing at at Central Florida, had him lose in Kansas State, and I think one more might have been TCU. Uh probably Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean when you look at the schedule, it's on paper somewhat favorable at home. I mean, so you you should win the majority of your home games. You should, you know, there shouldn't be more than maybe one loss at home two with the most because you're you're not obviously you're not gonna win all your road games, right, You're going to You're gonna slip up somewhere on the road.
Speaker 2: West Virginia's got to come here, and we have no idea what Virginia is gonna be.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 2: All I know is that they've been in a national championship game. You know, I know it was years ago, but they have been Their program has been that good at times. You know, this is not you know, a bad cal program or a bad Oregon State program. This is a this is a program that's been good over the years. They're trying to get you know, they've got a history and they're you know, they're trying to get back to that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. I mean, I think that's one of the teams that you look at and you're just not real sure with the transfer portal and all that kind of stuff, exactly what some of these teams are gonna have. But you know, you've heard about some of these programs adding some good players here and there, and so you never really know.
Speaker 2: Well, that was one of the interesting things that we talked with talk to Brad Brannan about because I asked him, I said, you know, does somebody have an advantage do they do? Do you have an advantage over because the Big twelve schools don't know you guys won your new coach here. But two, they don't they haven't played the only the only team that Arizona's played in there, Uh, you know outside of the you know the Pac twelve teams, b YU a couple of times, and then Oklahoma State years ago, Texas Tech. It's been a long time. Okay, Houston back when the summering years, there's not a lot of familiarity. I said, who does that help? And said doesn't help anybody? Said, one, you know, we don't know them, but they don't know what's either, so it's kind of a wash. Said the second, you can go look at film from last year and a lot of those guys aren't even there anymore because of the transfer portal. You know, it's it's added a whole new element to trying to get ready for a season. He said, Yeah, we're looking at their film to see the kinds of things that they do, but we know the person that is going to be different, So you just don't dig in deep until you start getting film of them this coming year. He said. By the time we play Kansas State, we've got a couple of Kansas State games to look at. She said, So, yeah, we've looked at some of their stuff from last year, but not as in depth as you might think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you look up and down the schedule. It's it's that way for many of these teams. I mean we talked earlier about Utah and how many really good players they had get drafted, yeah, this past year, so they're going to look completely different. But you know, if Cam Rising is healthy and you know, they got some pretty good weapons around him, they're going to be good.
Speaker 2: And they're always a physical team, always an incredibly physical team.
Speaker 4: And same about the same thing regarding by you. I mean, they're a team that's always very physical. They usually have some older guys, and they're not really being talked about very much right now. So that's, you know, another scary game on the road.
Speaker 2: YEP. One of the things that I think does does play Welfare ZONEA and its schedule is that they've got Kansas State on that Friday night. Then they've got a week off, right, so they can if they get beat the hell beat out, and I mean if they get physically beat up or they got injuries and you know, nicks and things like that, they've got some time to get over all of that before they go they go play Utah. But that two game stretch, he's gonna tell us a lot about this team. Again, I think if they can split those two games, they're on their way to at least a nine win season.
Speaker 4: And then you got another bye leader in the season. So it's nice that it's the buys are split up nicely. So there's a between the November second game at UCF and the November fifteenth, Friday night home game against Houston. So again that's that's a by that comes out a pretty good I'm as you're nearing the end of the season.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at the schedule, I think, when, well, we gotta get going. But I think Steve and I picked them to lose Kansas State, Utah, Central Florida, and TCU all road games, and that gets them to eight wins. Eight's the over under, well seven and a half for eight, depend on where you go. So I you know that those two I mean, I think they can still lose those two games and they'll be fine. Fans got to stick with them if they do. But if they don't, if they win one of those year, you might be headed.
Speaker 4: Towards a really fun season. Absolutely. It just depends on people being healthy, right, exactly. The quarterback has to be healthy exactly.
Speaker 2: Hey Ryan, thanks man for being here, Thanks for having I know this went fast, but it was great having you again.
Speaker 4: TGA sports PLAYTGA dot com. Slash Tucson is the website.
Speaker 2: It's a website for Ryan's youth program. So Steve will be back tomorrow, so we hope you'll be back here too, So we will see you tomorrow.