Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App Reminder Friday, we're going to be live at Bravery Brewing up in Lancaster for our latest news and Bruce in fact, our first one of twenty twenty five. If you can believe that they are going to be introducing Kfipa this year's edition of it. That's a great beer that they have brewed for us that I had a little hand in helping create. The Bravery Pizza Kitchen will be open and they'll be serving some great pizzas there that are award winning. We have some stuff that we're going to be giving away. Bravery has some stuff that they're going to be giving away. And then after the show at one o'clock, we're going to actually record this week's edition of the Gas Weekend Fix, which is the segment that does not appear on the air for good reason because some of the things that Shannon says. But we will be recording it in front of the live audience. It's going to be out there, so we would love it if you come on out. A great way to start off the Memorial Day weekend. Not only that it is a great way to to spend a Friday, the weather is going to be absolutely gorgeous. I just finished up that Terror in the Sky segment.
Speaker 3: Hi, Gary, I was just listening to you tell the story about the love in the air, and my father and mother actually met that way.
Speaker 4: My father was chartering a flight and.
Speaker 1: She was a flight attendant.
Speaker 5: He saw her on that first flight, and then he told his friend he ran the airline, please put that Greek lady on the next flight that I charter.
Speaker 6: And he said there's two, and he said, put them both on.
Speaker 5: And it was happily ever after.
Speaker 4: Wow, three more kids. That's a good story.
Speaker 2: Next segment, by the way, we're going to talk more about the study that came out that said the teenagers of any age thirteen nineteen whatever it is, teenagers of any age who drink alcohol with their parents' permission do drink more as young adults. Not an entirely groundbreaking study, but I was curious about what experience you had, did you drink with parents' permission and what impact did it have, if any, on your attitude towards alcohol.
Speaker 4: That's coming up in just a couple of minutes. What else is going on? Time for what's happening.
Speaker 2: One of the larger stories nationwide is that President Trump is telling House Republicans on Capitol Field, Capitol Hill that is, to drop their fight over his next big tax cuts bill. He spoke privately to members of the House Republican caucus today to try to get them to vote in favor of his multi trillion dollar package. There are some people who are arguing about the state and local tax deductions. They want to raise that limit. Others are talking about cuts to Medicare. So it's not a guarantee that this I think this thing passes, and that's why he was there today. Heat wave is coming to southern California. Expectation today as we could see highs closer to one hundred degrees one hundred and three possibly Wednesday and Thursday. But as of right now, much of the Sanford Nando Valley, and we've got the west end of the Santa Monica, Western Santa Monica Mountains wreck Area, the eastern Santa Monica Mountains wreck Area, Calabasas, Goura Hills under the heat warning, now the heat advisory, and that'll be up through Thursday evening. A bunch of other places are going to get a heat advisory starting tomorrow because, like I said, that's probably when it is going to get the hottest. More tornadoes ripped through the central part of the country yesterday, ripped apart buildings, knocked out power to people from Texas all the way to Kentucky. At least four tornadoes confirmed in Oklahoma and Nebraska last night, according to a report from the National Weather Service, Hey.
Speaker 4: Don't worry.
Speaker 2: Your water may smell funny, but LA Department of Water and Power says it's not harmful if you're in the valley. There are a puple people, a handful of people that were complaining that the smell of their water changed. That it is an earthy odor and they, according to the Department of Water and Power or the customers regarding the smell were commenting on the smell. Sorry, and they began testing. What revealed the musty odor is attributa attributable to geosman.
Speaker 4: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I've never seen that word before, so your guess as good as mine as to how to pronounce it. The official said, it's a natural compound that's created from algae, an occasional seasonal occurrence caused by changing water temperatures and sunlight. The elevated Geosman levels were detected on May thirteenths They immediate thirteenth. They immediately adjusted treatment and operations to control the situation.
Speaker 4: You can remove the odor at.
Speaker 2: Home by running your water through a carbon filter pitcher or a carbon filter in your refrigerator waterline. But it is not harmful, according to LA Department of Water and Power and the American Chemical Society. It said if it is highly concentrated, it could cause serious damage, eye damage, your irritation, but for the most part, it is not going to hurt you. Handful of sad stories. Number one was that cal State Fullerton student ended up dead after a fraternity trip to Lake Havasu. Eighteen year old out of Panol went under the water and did not resurface. On Saturday, search cruise up in Big Bear found the body of a twenty two year old student from UC Santa Barbara who disappeared over the big over the weekend. In Big Bear Lake. They found him about ten thirty in the water near Pine Not Marina. And then the story of the twenty one year old sheriff's deputy off duty sheriff's deputy who was killed in a car accident just yesterday afternoon up in the Santa Clarita area off of San Franciscito Canyon Road. You remember Hana Kobayashi. She disappeared after she landed at Lax last fall and kind of prompted a whole series of theories about what happened to this woman. And then as her family went came, i should say, came to search for her, was found dead in a parking lot after he came to Lax, came to La to find her, and had killed himself. In an Instagram story she shared over the weekend, she explained that she wants to share the details of her disappearance soon, saying she wants to stand up against any ill will that has been cast against her as a result of that, I'm not sure anybody remembers who Hanna Kobayashi is or would want an explanation from her. Dozens of people detained yesterday after police uncovered what they described as an underground casino in the Van Eyes area. It started as a response to possible burglary. The discovery about three am on Monday morning, an alarm coming from a building in the area. They spotted a person they were looking for headed north on the rooftops. When they approached one particular building, they found evidence of a secret gambling ring. So they've picked up several people detained in connection and.
Speaker 4: Said it was little kid games.
Speaker 2: You go to Chuck E Cheese or Shakey's Pizza, then they have some of these games in there. Melissa Cruz, one of those people detained, said she didn't consider it gambling and likened the operation as more of a game club for adults.
Speaker 4: So let's see where that goes.
Speaker 2: In for a Weenie race, the Wiener mobiles are going to compete at the inaugural Weeni five hundred at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Each regional Wiener mobile will represent one of six regional hot dogs. The Chai Dog for Chicago, Shy Dog representing the Midwest, the New York Dog East Coast, the Slaw Dog the Southeast, the Sonoran Dog representing the Southwest, the Chili Dog representing the South, and the Seattle Dog representing the Northwest. They're all identical wienermobiles, just with different numbers and names on them. They said that it will be the first race for the entire Wiener mobile fleet and the first time that all six of the vehicles gather over the last decade. Set for Friday at two pm Eastern Time, streamed live on the Fox Sports app. So when we're live at our news and Bruise, we can have some I guess Wiener Race news when we're there. All right, Up next, a little bit more about this study teenagers of any age who drink alcohol with their parents' permission and how that changes their attitudes towards.
Speaker 4: Alcohol in the future. We'll hear from you when we come back.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: New study really was driven by questionnaires, but this study looked at whether or not drinking before you're legally allowed to has an impact on your attitude towards drinking early in a adulthood. The journal Addictive Behaviors published this study, and the topics include a history of child and parent alcohol abuse, beliefs about alcohol, rules about alcohol in your home, and The questionnaires ask adolescents if they ever drank alcohol with their parents' permission, even just you know, the sip. The taste kind of thing, and if yes, at what age did they first do so? And then the researchers looked at those answers and compared them to the self described alcohol practices I guess you could say, when they were young adults, and if it came out to impact how these people treated alcohol in their early adulthood. And what they said was drinking with parental permission began anywhere from age five to age seventeen, and just some of the talkbacks that we've gotten very similar age range, but that right around twelve was probably the most typical. And about eighty percent of the people who responded that said they had some alcohol with parental permission. It's higher than a higher number than in some other studies, but it's somewhere in that range. And they said that adolescents were more likely in young adulthood to drink more often and in greater amounts if their families allowed the practice, compared to those who did not, who are very strict and said no alcohol at any cost.
Speaker 4: Until you're twenty one years old.
Speaker 2: So I wanted to ask what your experience was, how did your family handle alcohol when you were a teenager, or how do you handle it for your team.
Speaker 7: Hey, Gary, my dad served the four of us alcohol from the time we were about five years old on whatever if we wanted any never withheld it from us. We're now all age sixty six to seventy five and none of us have any alcohol problem. We can take it or leave it, and we typically have maybe one drink a month each. That's that's the Italian way.
Speaker 4: Thanks er, thank you. Yeah, that is the Tielli guys.
Speaker 8: I've got six kids and I've always let them taste alcoholic beverages. We've never been big alcohol drinkers in my household, although you know, I ran the gamut when I was a kid. But all of my kids have found that they disliked the taste of alcohol, and that's the reason I let them try it, so that they don't like it, so then as they grew older they don't care for it. At least that's been my experience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the taste is not the thing I'm concerned about. The taste.
Speaker 2: You know, you can mask the taste of whichever alcohol you like. It's what it does to you and how much your brain craves it after you have it that first time.
Speaker 3: Hello Gary Son, Shannon so my father allowed me to drink with him when I was young. I think I had my first shot of whiskey at maybe nine.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: But in all fairness, my father was an alcoholic, and I certainly can't imagine now that I have my own child ever allowing her to that with me. But maybe as an eighteen eighteen year old in my own house, I could see that, But otherwise.
Speaker 4: No way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's That's one of the curious things is I remember drinking Dad's Budweiser without his permission. I know that wasn't the question, but without his permission when I was probably eight, nine, ten something like that, And I remember that awful taste of the That was the worst soda I had ever tasted in my life. It tasted like a dry hay soda. I mean, that's basically what it is because of the ingredients there, but it just tasted awful, Hi Gary.
Speaker 5: My parents would have a cocktail when my dad got home from work. He drank Martini's. My mom drank Dubinet, which is a sweet sherry. We always got to taste it. We thought my dad's drink tasted like rocket fuel. My mom's drink was very sweet and we loved it.
Speaker 6: But I grew up.
Speaker 5: Alcohol just wasn't a big deal until I started partying in my twenty then it was more of a big deal. But now at this point in my wife, I hardly drink at all. Maybe when I go out with friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that seems to be the most common pattern, at least from the people who called us, is that the drinks were there or available to them, but later on they just they got they got over it.
Speaker 9: Young teenager Will in high school, my father served us a high ball after the game, which was on Sundays. My uncle would come over with his family, and my father would serve highballs to the adults and my brother and I were senior and junior. And when my aunt said what are you doing, he said, I'm teaching my children how to handle alcohol before they leave this house.
Speaker 4: What goes into a high ball? It's a I know it's a type of drink, but there's a larger person.
Speaker 2: Uh so the seven and seven Scotch and soda, gin and tonic a screwdriver. So it's the alcohol based spirit and a larger proportion of a non alcoholic mixer. That's the general definition. Never knew that specifically I.
Speaker 7: Don't see anything wrong with letting your kids drink before twenty one.
Speaker 4: Just a little something at dinner time on a Sunday is okay. My parents did it. I'm okay.
Speaker 10: I'm not an alcoholic.
Speaker 4: Bye Gary, Bye, thank you for the call.
Speaker 6: Hey Gary, love you guys. Let's shot too.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I love.
Speaker 6: One of my children drink as a teenager. She grew up to be alcoholic. I didn't drink as a teenager. My parents didn't allow me, or just allow me. I just never drink, which I did not let my kids smoke weed till they were eighteen.
Speaker 4: I guess that's good. You didn't let your kids smoke weed until you're a till.
Speaker 10: My parents were teetotalers, so they never drank around them. But my family friends had a hotel where I worked as a dishwasher, and they allowed me to drink wine out of little paper cups at work and the occasional Narragansett beer, and it was delicious.
Speaker 4: I loved it.
Speaker 10: Thank you, Lewis and Port, thank you.
Speaker 2: We're going to revisit this issue tomorrow because I'm curious. Justin Warsham is going to join us, so we talk about parenting stuff on Wednesdays. And this is one of those issues that I don't think we've been able to really tap into just yet, just how much how important it is the issue of alcohol when you have teenage kids. And he's of course right in the middle of it with his two boys that are teenagers. And we'll get personal with Justin So we'll do that tomorrow at eleven thirty. So stick around up next our True Crime Tuesday. A couple of things. The whole crypto world is something that is worthy of its own movies lately, it seems, and now it's getting pretty violent. Our True Crime Tuesday is the rattling of the crypto bros and the crypto elite with all of this physical violence that's going back and forth between them. We'll talk about that when we come back.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: President Biden's prostate cancer diagnosis and Scott Adams, the creator of the Dilbert comic strip, came out yesterday and revealed that he has also been diagnosed with prostate cancer, just like Joe Biden, but that he says his prognosis is pretty dire.
Speaker 4: In a live stream.
Speaker 2: Yesterday, Scott Adams, at sixty seven, said he had also been diagnosed with prostate cancer that has spread to his bone. He said, my life expectancy is maybe this summer, and I expect to be checking out from this domain sometime in the next few months. I do think that there is a potential positive that comes out of this story, outside of the theories about when Biden knew about it, whether there was a cover up, if this is an aggressive this is one of those This is one of those stories that can drive simple public awareness of the story. And I went back and checked out my own health records for blood tests that I had a few years ago regarding PSA numbers, just because I didn't remember, and so it's nice to have a quick baseline on all of that. We will revisit the story tomorrow of teenagers of any age who drink alcohol and what kind of effect it has as they grow up.
Speaker 11: What's going on, Gary flying fish out here at the airport. My father loved that Olympia and me and my little brother. He would give us a little taste.
Speaker 4: But Olympia beard alcohol.
Speaker 11: Didn't really phase us and we never became alcoholics. What the trip was it was the gateway to the other stuff. We used to party on the other stuff because the alcohol made us feel so good, and of course everything was there. But I'm cleaning sober to this very day, coming up on four years loving it.
Speaker 2: Thanks Fish, Yeah, good luck to you. That's We're going to talk more about it tomorrow. So if you had an experience, we'd love to hear about it. You can leave us a talkback message on the iHeart app. Just hit that little microphone button and leave us a quick message, just like Fish did.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's time for our True Crime Tuesday. The story is true? Sound true?
Speaker 10: No, it sounds made up.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Gary and Shannon present True Crime.
Speaker 2: There is a really weird world that exists that you and I probably don't know very much about, and it's those people in the very high echelons in the world of crypto. And as difficult as it is for a lot of people to just simply understand what crypto trading is, how anybody can make money at it, how it has survived as long as it has, this is going to add a tiny bit of probably fear to that keeping people away from crypto. The Wall Street journalish the story about the ransom that exists, ransom cases that exist in cryptocurrency, and that there have been greater and greater incursions of safety, I guess threats to safety in that very elite crypto world. Three men in black masks jump a thirty four year old woman in Paris. Her father runs Paymium, which is a cryptocurrency exchange based in France. They had canisters, a mace, they had a gun. They tried to force this woman and her baby into an idling van disguised as a delivery truck. Her husband was there was able to throw himself between his family and the attackers. A neighbor was able to grab the child and get it to safety. The other neighbors were closing in. Shopkeeper shows up to throw a fire extinguisher. The kidnappers I should say would be kidnappers, jump into their van and they speed off. The latest in a wave of violent criminal attacks and potential abductions around the world, including some here in the United States, that target these crypto executives and sometimes their families.
Speaker 4: Like this one.
Speaker 2: Victims have been pistol whipped, some of them have been kidnapped. In at least two cases, their fingers have been severed again. It sounds like this is going to be a movie. The goal is to get millions of dollars in ransom in cryptocurrency. These are sometimes called wrench attacks like the Tool simply because they rely on very simple tools for inflicting pain to coerce their victims. Very old school mafia sound to it. Hacking used to be the biggest risk. I mean, it's still a big risk for crypto people. But to thwart those hackers, cryptocurrency investors take their digital wallets offline in favor of a physical device.
Speaker 4: It makes some more.
Speaker 2: Making it remote and offline makes it harder for somebody to steal simply by hacking into it. So real world crypto crime is what bypasses those safeguards. A bitcoin security company called Kasa, the co founder says a lot of people are getting to the hide your gold under the mattress level of security. But if you're a high profile person, that's when you have to worry about the physical attack. A cryptocurrency exchange. Just this week, Coinbase disclosed that as many as ninety seven thousand people had their personal information stolen, including addresses. The company said it was likely stolen by bribed contractors or employees that worked in their customer support and that it had refused a twenty million dollar ransom demand. We've seen that with you know, hospitals, municipalities, et cetera. Somebody will hack into a system and basically hold it hostage until the hospital or police department or municipality whatever pays the ransom to free up that computer system. Cryptocurrency has also surged over the course of the last year. Bitcoin alone. Bitcoin is up fifty four percent in the last year, so there are people making millions of dollars on all of this. At least five crypto related abductions have taken place in France in just the last few months, dozens of others around the world in the last year. For example, in Australia, a crypto billionaire was almost kidnapped whilst vacationing in Estonia. He was able to fight off the attackers posing as painters. In March, a crypto influencer out of Houston was assaulted before her husband got into a shootout with the bad guys who invaded their home in the middle of the night demanding her laptop. Some of the assaults been clumsy, some of them messy. But the problem is there are now organized crime rings that are seeing this as a major profit potential. And once you get a little bit more sophistication behind some of these abduction attacks, you're going to see people go away for a long time, and I mean disappear. In September, there was a Florida man who was sentenced to forty seven years in prison because he led a crime ring that carried out a string of home invasion across home invasion robberies in multiple states in search specifically of crypto. In one of the attacks, he held a gun to the head of a guy in Durham, North Carolina, threatened to cut off his his junk. The victim eventually was able to transfer one hundred and fifty thousand dollars worth of crypto to the guy. Was later ordered to pay more than five hundred thousand dollars in restitution to his victims as part of his sentencing. Just last week, the Interior Minister in France gathered a bunch of crypto companies for a meeting to try to present new security measures for that sector. They said the attack that attempted kidnapping from last week appeared similar to other recent abductions in France, in which they said these ringleaders are recruiting a bunch of young criminals they never meet, using apps like Telegram and signal, and then remotely controlling them to execute their plan. Again, the French Interior Ministry says that these are probably linked. At least some of these, like I said, have been successful in terms of the abductions, and definitely the physical assaults have been successful, with some people losing their fingers over this whole crypto thing. We'll come back, we'll talk about Fred and Rose West. Unless you're British, you haven't heard this story yet, but there is a new book out about Fred and Rose West. Its subtitle is a British horror Story to Mary serial Killers out of Britain. This is a very American thing. I'm surprised that it happened in Britain. We'll tell you about Fred and Rose when we come back.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: We're in the midst of True Crime Tuesday and talking about some of the craziest true crime stories that we've seen over the last couple of years.
Speaker 4: And I got to tell you. This is one of them.
Speaker 2: The story behind Fred and Rose West a British horror story. I said it was a book. I meant to say that it was actually a Netflix documentary that has come out and it's a series. And I will say now, based on the story, it is not for public consumption, or at least not general family watching.
Speaker 4: Shall we say?
Speaker 2: This documentary ends with a judge sentencing Rose West to life in prison. She was married to Fred West and back in nineteen sixty nine, Friend was twenty seven years old, Rose was only fifteen. The power dynamic in that gives you an idea of how this relationship started. He controlled every aspect of her life and he pimped her out. Okay, that's not setting a great table for the relationship going forward. They had several kids together, at least ten, and the whole thing starts with I mentioned that the documentary ends with her being sentenced to life in prison. It starts with police discovering the remains of one of their daughters in their home. There was this kind of weird and uncomfortable everybody thought it was a joke at the time that would go between several of the children, which was if you misbehave, you'll end up under the patio like Heather, and friends of theirs heard the kids say that joke to each other and never thought anything about it because they didn't know there was a Heather until her body was found, like I said, under the patio. She had been missing since nineteen eighty seven, and in the years after she disappeared, the stories about where she ended up changed. Parents would tell the different stories. It was February of ninety four that her remains were found underneath the patio of the rear garden of their home. Fred was arrested. Fred admitted that he killed the daughter in interviews with police there in Gloucester, but that was one of the last murders that he committed. Fred was accused of starting way back in nineteen sixty seven, killing at least twelve young women. And remember that was about the time that he was starting to get this relationship with Rose. He was again killing a dozen women. Rose was convicted of ten of the murders. The date back to the early seventies. The documentary reveals also the story of Alison Chambers, who had run away from home. In the series, her sister Desra reads a letter from nineteen seventy nine that her mother received from Alison saying that she was going to be living with this great new couple Fred and Rose and looking after their children, acting sort of as a nanny. A few months later, she goes missing and her remains are found at the house there in Gloucester. The series does not actually center on the living kids because a lot of them are not on speaking terms with each other today. There's a lot of blame that goes back and forth between them. The eldest son, a guy named Steven, says, I don't speak to my siblings. There are no large, happy family get togethers. Too much has gone on. It's probably too painful for us. Phil Davis, is the husband of an older sister, explained every few years the case is back in the media, like now with this new documentary, the public public gets interested again. But it's the kids who live with the pain of what happened on a daily basis, and in the series it's the relatives of the family. It's that second concentric circle who gets the last word. Brelnda Mott, whose sister Juanita remains were found in the cellar of the West House, is seen visiting the sister's tombstone, and she says, this is why I say to my children. Every single time I say good night or goodbye, I always say I love you, because you never know when it's the last time. Desra said, talking about her sister, Allison, the one that was a nanny, said it's cathartic. She's gotten so used to compartmentalizing all of this, she says, I've never really worked through it. So it was a help to her to take part in the documentary. And it's filmmaking, so again, just an awful true crime story that's going to be this Netflix.
Speaker 4: Fred and Rose West a British horror story.
Speaker 2: Reminder that on Friday, we're going to be live at our news and Bruise at Bravery Brewing in Lancaster to help kick off Memorial Day weekend. We have some surprises out there. We have some stuff that we're going to be giving away. Bravery has some stuff they're going to be giving away. The kfi A Kfipa has been brewed and will be on sales starting on Friday at.
Speaker 10: Kfi ip A Beer. Yes, it's brewed with liberal tears. Oh boy, it's flavored with your snarkiness. And Shannon's occasional non sequiturs.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, the marketing is still out on that one, but thanks for your option.
Speaker 4: KFIPA will be on tap.
Speaker 2: The Bravery Pizza Kitchen is going to be up and firing off pizza, so it's going to be a great opportunity for you to grab some lunch and we will be recording our KFI Weekend the Gas Weekend Fix, right after the show ends at one o'clock. We'll be out there recording it and we need to do We're going to need some audience participation in that, so we'll see out there on Friday. Are our news and bruis at Bravery Brewing in Lancaster. John Cobelt Show is up next. We'll see you tomorrow. Stay drive. Everybody you've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show, you can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.