Speaker 1: Wigan are still top of the tree. The same cannot be said of neighbours. Lee. The Giant season is like a nightmare. Bradford gave Saint Helens a scare. York did the same to a winning team. Warrington Wolves will be better, it would seem. Welcome to the twelfth episode of Super League three sixty, a podcast primarily about the top tier of British rugby league and great poetry. My name is Lee Addison, Esquire What's yours?
Speaker 2: My name is John Davidson, the non Scottish Nontourette's one Ah.
Speaker 1: I'm a coach in Australia, John a journo in the UK. Please read descriptions of previous pods and or the description of this one to make our intro short of The podcast being aired on the Ashes Rugby League Rugby League Coach Coach podcast platforms, as well as the Rugby League Coach YouTube too, so if you subscribe to those you won't miss a thing, but would rather you move over to Super League three sixty for this pod. Also, Rugby League dot Com are running this every Friday. I believe John, Steve Mask, Gord, Jason Costigan and the guys John's tweet of the week, as adjudicated by me. You can get John at Johnny D Davidson on x He has written, quote Rugby league is a cruel mistress unquote on Saturday. What the hell does that mean?
Speaker 2: I mean, if you didn't see the post that my missus did on Instagram or Facebook le which was during the mainly game when Mainly came back and I got a little bit excited and then yeah, we lost in gold Point and.
Speaker 1: Do you do you shout at the TV dere John.
Speaker 2: I don't, to be honest, I don't generally I've kind of gone past that. But when we're at for a Neil, I was like, oh, you know, first game of the season, you're all full of optimism, Tommy Turbo's back, we're doing well, and then it all goes to shit and we're getting flogged. And then somehow we come back in and we tied that right to death and then we're losing points. So it's like, your your levels are like this.
Speaker 1: For those listening, for those listening, he's doing a wave. Yeah, sorry watching.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just it is a cruel mistress because you're right the highs and those of your team don't you. But look, it was a great contest. If you're a camera fan, you you're very happy. If you're a mainly fan, you you're a sad so so likely, but yeah it was. It was entertaining, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Rugby League tweet of the Week. I've got to be honest, I completely forgot to look for one. So I've now done this. While you were talking then I was listening to you, John So, a man by the name of Louis two seven double one ninety two, an hour ago from this recording, has said of the Castleford coach Ryan Carr that he must have been a one season wonder for FEV because he was a fantastic coach. Can't see him lasting at CASS. I'm going to talk about cast when we get to there. I've made some observations about them. I don't know if you want to add anything there, John, but I was.
Speaker 2: I was at the addersfield Wholekur game was on the exact same time as Leeds. I saw some clips of c Those tries have got a hat trick. But yeah, I mean, but you can't really compare when he was at feb and the money that I had in that division compared to where is it cast and limitations I have. I don't think that's a fair comparison. It's also all rounds in so yeah, to me, I think that's a bit nonsense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll elaborate on that when we get to them. Socials Popper Lee of the Week nada, zilch zero. Mate. It's been a quiet week on socials in that regard Johnny's job. You're concerned a little bit about red cards, bad tackles effects of head milks. I'll let you elaborate on that.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean I think it was just the I'm not sure of if you saw it, Lee, but at the it was that the paposhi. I don't know how you pronounce, but the card against St. Helen's on George Delaney. He comes in as with a group tackle, shoulder to the head. Delaney's can cust and yeah it's a red card. And I just I showed a quick video of the clip on from TV and just when that's an ugly one. But the amount of comments that you get people is like, yep, definite red card to the game's gone soft, nothing wrong with that, blah blah blah. It's like complete opposite ends of the spectrum. And it seems to me a lot of people or a lot of us just don't know what is and isn't a red card anymore.
Speaker 1: So do you blame the authorities for that or do you blame people's perception for that?
Speaker 2: I mean, there's probably a few ways, a few people you can blame. But I think the part of me, I think that people don't understand. And literally, just before we were starting recording, and I was watching a BBC documentary about concussion in rugby and it's done by rugby union guy Ben Young's.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I've seen that. Yeah, yeah, they talk.
Speaker 2: About Rob Burrow, and you know they talk about CT and M and D in links with rugby, and I know, you know, your own personal family can actually you've got a link with M and D.
Speaker 1: My mom would have been sixty eight today. She died twenty years ago of it. So and I imagine she wasn't, you know, taking hit ups on she was just hitting me, yeah, my dad before this, blittle man.
Speaker 2: My point is, like, I know, the M and D link is not being established by science, but CT and early inside dementia has been by repeated brain injuries, contact and contact, and we do need to make the game safer. Like I know, you can't do that completely because rugby of both codes, is a contact sport and that's part of it. But we do need to try and protect our players as much as possible. And some people I'm not saying what the Bradford Ford did was intentional or mouth or anything like that, but it was shoulder too head and it knocked the other player out. And you've got to get you're and you're the coach, you can explain this better. Maybe you've got to get you know, technique down lower, don't you You need to you need to coach your players, and you know, if it goes wrong then people need to be penalized with a red card. I don't think that's.
Speaker 1: Just before I go into that. I just want to make sure that my mum didn't beat me. Ever, just just give me a slap around the chop sometimes, particularly when it particularly when it came home pissed at age fourteen after a day on the town.
Speaker 2: I thought you were joking, but also probably that you would have deserved it anyway.
Speaker 1: So yeah, probably Look in terms of the high tackles, we're in an area now, where anything around the melon has to be some kind of consequence. Okay, So I spoke in depth last week on the Loose Carry podcast from Zero Tackle about the Stephen Crichton non punishment for what happened in Vegas. I don't know if you remember the Saint George player I forget his name, came. It came out from his wing and actually slipped and he was virtually horizontal. But Stephen Crichton actually connected with his head and it was a swinging arm that connected with his head. So a swinging arm to a head, whether it's on the grass or in ten foot in the sky, is a swinging arm to the head. And this is where I think the game has got confused. And I also linked it back to the incident where Reese Walsh was slipping and Joseph Sualihi was tackling him and it was forty and Reese Walsh was about forty five degrees when he got hit. Basically, so, I think there's some lack of knowledge in the refereeing realm and in officialdom when it comes to what actually happens in the game. Sometimes the game has played us fast pace because they make it faster, right, every rule change is to make the game faster, never to slow it down, particularly in England where the ground is slippy. But also people don't understand this. In Australia it can be slippy too because of humidity, because of bouts of rain that kick in in the summer, in particular in the in the autumn. So so play a slip because they're moving at high pace on very high quality field in Australia. So and at the same time they're being met by somebody who wants to tackle them hard. So I really like the rugby union rule where they give them a card I think it's a short arm card or something like that, or something a lot and they actually send them off for ten if this contact with the head, and that then gives the people in the equivalent of the bunker ten minutes to decide the severity of of that incident because because and the other thing we can do with that too is we can actually send on an extra interchange to cover for that player that's been simbinned in case the decision is wrong one and that takes the pressure off the ref because I think we want our referee to interpret the lords of the game. What I don't think we want our referees to do is be arbitrators of future medical issues. Right, So there's a line there, and I think anything near the head that gives a referee the jurisdiction to be able to go, I'm sending him away for ten but I'm not convinced. It's I'm not convinced. And then we could potentially bring on another player to replace that player. And then if after two minutes they decide it's a sending off a fence that that extra player comes off, okay, that that could be an option, or we don't use an extra player at all.
Speaker 2: And I think I think in more recent times, what referees and I understand from their point of view is I'll just put things on the report. You know, so and so probably should be sent off, but I'll just put on a report and let the judiciary sort it out. You know, if the other team's lost a play because of fail player or whatever, it doesn't help them, does it.
Speaker 1: No? No? Yeah, So I really like that rule. I mean, rugby union tend to steal rules off us, and we tend not to steal that much off them. At times, we think we're we're better in that regard as rugby league players as footballers, so I think we should we should not be too proud and take that from them, because because we can't take any risks from this, because there's already people trying to sue the game, and there's already people people taking steps, and honestly, if something wins in England, it will ruin rugby league. The game will be decrepit and there'll be nothing left. So I think we need to be a bit careful in and around that. I think any contact with the head, whether intentional or unintentional, at least deserves a sin bin. And honestly, I've said this numerous times already on this Super League three sixty podcasts but also on my other podcasts. The era has gone and it is and the coaches who are not moving with these times are going to be left behind. You can't stay upright and try and catch and wrestle anymore. You can, but the margin ferrera gets really reduced because you're going to end up around the head. At some point. Coaches need to encourage their players to get lower and use their shoulders rather than a hugging technique, and the other reason they need to do that is, you will drive back momentum, or you'll at least stop momentum if you do it right, or even if you don't, you'll be in a better position to control the ruck for a couple of seconds before you have to get away. Because what's happened is over the years, because the game has reacted to the symptoms of what coaches have been doing. They've never gone to the cause. They've gone to the symptoms. When twenty odd years ago they brought in the rule that as soon as you were off the floor you had to get off, basically coaches started to decide, well, we're going to hold them up for longer. Once you're holding them up for longer, that's influenced tackle techniques over the years. That influence of tackling higher has ended up with a few more high shots in places where it shouldn't happen, And there's also more room for chicken wings, grapple tackles, and so many other things that we've never heard of prior to the year twenty ten. And all league does is go for the symptoms, not the causes. So, in other words, put so much pressure on the coaches and the teams not to go near the head and they will soon learn. It is that simple in my mind. And people can cry that the game's gone soft. I always say to those people, if you think it's gone soft, why aren't you playing it? And you know, maybe it has gone a little bit soft. Maybe, but it's just the world we're in now. Lee's Laugh This week. It won't be obvious straight away why it's Lee's Laugh, but I've brought in John Wilkin and his comments before and after games because I look forward to them. I find them refreshing, and with Carnie and Wilkin, I think we've got two of the best in spot. Quite frankly, I think they're brilliant before and after games. And the reason I've put it in Lee's Laugh is it's refreshing. But also I laugh at the thought of the clubs just going, oh shit, what's John Wilkin gonna say and Brian Carney going to say this week? And I think it's brilliant, I really do. There's none of this sick of fancy. I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I don't watch it every week because I simply can't because of the time differences, but I'm sure there's a little bit of you know, nice stuff said to keep favor with some people. I'm sure there is, but the vast majority of what they say is raw and honest and it's absolutely brilliant. So hats off to John Wilkin and Brian Carney, but the Lees laugh. The component of that is how the clubs are going, oh no, what are they going to say now? And how they react and Saint Helen's last week was a perfect example of that. Are you going to comment or just look at me?
Speaker 2: I was just going to say, yeah, no, I agree. I rarely do, but I agree with pretty much everything you've said early, Thank you always.
Speaker 1: I've also put that in media Watch. Right, let's talk about some news items before we get into game reviews and people's questions. And we've also been inspired to start a poetry competition. John, We've had an entry. Somebody's jealous of my poetry skills, so we've got a poetry addition that I will bring in soon. I just want to let everyone know know I've been drinking Yorkshire tea this morning, not coffee. I had one coffee and then I've had Yorkshire tea. The reason being, did you know instant coffee has a number on no right. I've only been drinking coffee for approximately thirty five years, thirty three, thirty two years, something like that, and I didn't know it had a number on. And accidentally, about three months ago, I bought a jar of something that I like the look of and it was number fourteen, which basically is weapons grade, nuclear level caffeine. And when I was putting my normal dollops of spoons of coffee in, I was fully awake, training hard and everything else. But come two o'clock, three o'clock in the afternoon, I felt I was having some kind of stroke or something. Everything was tightening open, and my sleep has been affected. Anyway, remembered the next month to get a different coffee, a bit lower grade, and then I've forgotten this month and I've ended up with another high level nuclear grade coffee. So I've now had to adjust it to one coffee and one tea.
Speaker 2: So you're living a great coffee nation and you drink, you need to know.
Speaker 1: There's some there's some very instant, there's some. There's some very good instant coffees now because they've responded to what's been going on on the high street. And yeah, the coffee in question is Victoria and even if you look at my Kona and things like that, they're making so many different blends now it's actually not bad mate. There's no cafes open when I try and record with you because you get me up at daft o'clock anyway, So it's all right for you. It's all right for you sitting there drinking costa coffee.
Speaker 2: You need, you need an expressed over shame like me with your.
Speaker 1: Yeah, truly fair enough news items. The first thing you wanted to talk about was the NRL and Super League talks. Where are they at? Mate?
Speaker 2: Well? Yeah, I mean there's been uh a lot of talk. I think we had a few questions about that. Didn't we get a piece in the I paper yesterday. I spoke to a lot of different people in Australia and New Zella. It's a very fluid situation. I think the really interesting thing is that there's been no terms or conditions set by the NRL, which after a year of this is a bit mad to me, apart from the public time of complete control and you know it needs to be done in three weeks for three months. Sorry, Yeah, there's a lot. I think there's it's a really nuanced situation. I think there's a lot of different ways to look at this. You know, is Peter of Landy's is he trying to intimidate super League? Is he trying to talk it down to get a better deal. Is he that bothered? You know, they've got they've got their own Perth, they own P and G, so they've got to run those clubs. They're going to do Las Vegas again next year. Haven't got enough manpower. There's there's just really a lot to it. But in saying all that, I think there is more an appetite from the super League side for an NRL deal then there was twelve months ago. That doesn't necessarily mean a deal will be done because we don't know what's what's being proposed, but yeah, it is a really interesting time and I think, as I wrote in the article, there's been some you know, mentions from private equity for super League. But and super League needs money, but it also needs expertise and the only sort of organization to me, I think that does that both is the NRL because they have a history of growing rugby league and marketing rugby league and you know, being able to secure better TV deals so yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't think Peter Valandi's and the NRL would have forgotten to bring those terms and conditions sick. I don't think they're too busy to go all, well, we've just forgotten. It must be it must be a play, it must be a ploy to get some kind of response. We have had some questions and maybe you got some in the last hour because you sent a thing. Mark Williams on x AS does to role play John, So get your costume ready.
Speaker 2: I was going to say that you bringing the latex underwear, am I?
Speaker 1: I'm going to address as a nurse roleplay your Vita Polandi's a chic with billions, said Mark, how would you structure Super League and Championship twenty twenty seven? Free pass, promote, relegate restructure, go wild and no fan base can be offended. It's only a personal opinion. I would go to. I'm a I'm a rugby league development man by nature in terms of I believe in long term development of players. I want the England or Great Britain team to be a lot better, So I think we need to increase the intensity of the Super League competition. So we either need to make a ten team competition or we have have to have two conferences. We need we need to make the games tougher, so we need to think about what that looks like and what also marry that up with what crowds will be etc. We need to reduce the amount of games that English players play because that's not helping them when it comes to postseason events, and the World Cup will expose that. I feel this year, and they're not getting proper preseasons either. So whereas in the NRL they probably do too much, in England, they're probably doing too little and that's why so many players are breaking down. So I think we need to marry that up now. If I was the Shekh, I would also do something in the middle of the year that is similar to Australia's origin. What that looks like, what that looks like, whether it's Lancashire Yorkshire again or England versus someone or whatever, and I'd mark it the absolute hell out of it. And what I would say to the clubs is we're going to make your money back off this. Okay, so what you're losing in fixtures, you're making on this. Maybe it's not maybe it's not anything like that. Maybe it's a nine circuit, maybe it's seventh circuit. But do something that's a circuit breaker, which is the equivalent of Big Bash origin anything like that where people can get a break from their week to week reality. And I think Rugby League's not bad at doing magic weekends and things like that, but just something in the middle of the season that becomes a show piece event in that regard. But we've got to reduce the games that our players are playing now in terms of the Championship, there's too many clubs folding. Basically, I had a look. Somebody else interviewed me for something the other day and I had a bit of a look. I think it's something like nine clubs that have folded in the last five years, and some of them have been come back to life again, and it's something like eight or nine seven eight nine, something like that. And so if it was a business, you'd start to take drastic action. And if you think about the Championship, well, first of all, the cost of living has gone up, so fans are less likely to find the pounds and pence to get to games. It's harder for them to do. Players have probably been demanding more money because they have to pay their mortgage and their bills, and some clubs are obviously paying too much and not earning enough. Also because of the expansion of the game over the years. I know some of those expansion clubs have withered on the vine. But there's actually longer journeys now than they used to be. But you know, rugby league used to be a bit of Yorkshire and a bit of Lancashire, and now it's now you can end up anywhere, so so I think we might need to regionalize that a little bit and reduce some of the costs for the teams. And I'm going to use the horrible term because they've never really done this in the Championship, I don't think. But some loop fixtures get some looke fitishes going.
Speaker 2: That have I mean effectively merging league went into the Championship this year and I do have regions, so they are playing a kind of regional drawing that not everyone plays each other right amount of time, and they're playing teams that depending on table structure, so they are they have moved to that, but I think you're right. I think they've probably moved to that far too late and the original expansion when they brought in a Gloucester and Oxford and these sort of clubs was twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen when they got the forty million a year TV deal. As you said, rightly saidly most of those have gone bust. So I think that strategy just sort of plunking in clubs new clubs and not as has failed. It's not really been thought out expansion or supported.
Speaker 1: And I think the problem with the current championship is unless people are ready to look into it further, you don't know it's regionalized. You just look at the long season. It just looks like a hell of a long season because it's a long season for fans too. It's a lot of money for fans.
Speaker 2: It starts in January and ends in October.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty nine. Yeah, yeah, Look.
Speaker 2: I think when we're talking about the lower divisions, the simple fact is there's really hardly any media coverage, there's no TV coverage, and the fan bases are very small. So we've got a bit of a middle ground. That super League's probably not a lead enough compared with the Championship, and there's not enough of a gap when you know the Maitland pumpkin pickers don't have as much sale or braining as the Bristo Broncos, but in England there seems to be a bit more of a similar footing, which probably doesn't help either.
Speaker 1: Now, one other thing i'd consider, and I've not cost thought this out or anything like that, but would have an English franchise in the NRL and buy an English franchise in the NRL. I think the obvious choice would be Perth, so I wouldn't get some kind of investment in there somehow, And this would probably happen from an NRL perspective if they come in and put some cash in, even though I'm the shake and I would make Perth predominantly, and it doesn't have to be every single player, but I'd make it predominantly players who qualify for England, whether it be through parents or grandparents. So obviously somebody like Victor Radley, somebody like what was the fullback time I've just had no, Yeah, the one who played this year for England. I've had a brain. J Brimson. They could be they could be incentivized to play for that club. It might be P and G P and G might be the team, you know, because there is a thought in Australia that P and G are going to struggle, Perth might struggle, So this could be a way of influencing that. Yes, that would we can super leagal little bit?
Speaker 2: What do you mean perose didn't you see males comments you know we're gonna we might We're going to try and win the company our first year at Perth.
Speaker 1: I think he must have been eating cakes in Amsterdam. You you did a piece on the Las Vegas effect on teams, although it didn't seem to affect Leeds and yeah this week.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I wouldn't say it didn't affect whole car because they were playing the worst team in the camp, but whole our reaction was very positive. You know, they played very well. They weren't perfect, but you could see the effort and enthusiasm for I think the article I wrote was just you know, having a look and look you could say Canberra last year of the anomaly because they finished minor premaries and they were great, but they did go out in the Semis back to back and then you could say they were they were robbed because rus Wols should have been simpinned. But look, no one who's played in Vegas the following year has managed to win a Grand Final afterwards, and having gone to Vegas last year not got a lot of sleep, jet lag, et cetera. I think it has an impact. Now, I don't know if it has an impact enough that it will affect a club from winning a premiership. But it's just an interesting thing that I thought up. I thought, you know, and I heard the sample size a small We've any got?
Speaker 1: No, it isn't. It isn't, And I stick up for on it.
Speaker 2: You did, Yeah, yeah, well I had. I had Josh. I don't know who Josh is, but some lovely trilling by Josh. He didn't even read the article, but he was like, so thanks for that, Josh. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: A small sample size, isn't thirty three percent? Tell tell me any tell me any research where they sampled thirty three percent of the sample in anything. We're now going to see how humans react to the injection of this vaccine. We're now going to sample thirty three percent of the earth. Get stuff, mate. It was it was a fine sample. That's you know. It's about thirty three of the top flight professional clubs in the world. They've tried this, so I stuck up for you, John. Did you get any more questions on X by the way, maybe just have a look at those see if we've got them in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got a load of Mike Davies. Do you think the RFL has sold out the championship camp? For the past few seasons, it's uguly been the most competitive league in the sport, but merging the two leagues into one division when all the teams playing each other, has turned into a bit of a dog's dinner. I'll learn to this one firstly, and if you want to have a buy it afternoon. But I don't think the rfls sold out a championship comp. I don't think there's ever really been a lot of investment or marketing push for the championship. Like I know it had that Premier Sports TV deal a while ago which was popular, but it may be quite competitive. Previously, I mean writing about Super leigu y because the fixtures clash and there's no TV covers, you can't really run for it closely, either cover one or the other. So look, I think the Championship certainly has its place, but I think it should be. Its place should be as a feeder league to Super League. That's my personal opinion.
Speaker 1: I think what the problem with this league structure is is if your team's losing, it's a long year ahead till September, especially when you started half an hour after Christmas. The other problem, John is I think the most market ball thing in the Championship right now is London Broncos, and they're obviously putting their games on YouTube. The problem is some of those fixtures have been absolute floggings because of the opposition that they're playing.
Speaker 2: That was going to be my point. I think the idea to merge the two visions had merit. But the problem is you've got London who might be spending one point seven million on the cap and you've got North Wales who might be spending one hundred and fifty grand and you know there's allegations that they're paying their players laid again, So how do you work that out. You've got one full on team and you know people who are training two nights a week. You're going to get massive flogging. So is that competitive? No? But you don't get that in Super League because everyone's fall team. You do get some floggings, but you don't get you don't get eighty two nil. And in the NRL, I know we had a we had an eighty odd school last year, but you generally don't get that, do yet? So yeah, I think we've kind of answered that one. There's a couple or few other questions on from Kevin Byrne. They are for a veinings for Super League? Will we stick or twist? I think we've already talked about that.
Speaker 1: Is it private investment offers for Super League? You've got that as a as a Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, there's been some interest, there's been reported in the Guardian, there's been some interest from line Cap Global and from Oakwell Sports. But are there investment ones that have broken out? Ones? An investment for But anyone who's seen what private equity investment's done with rugby union, I think you'd be very reticent or very careful, And people have spoken in RFL. We're not really sure if it they're realistic offers because obviously private equity would want to return on their investment, they'd want to make a profit, and I don't think in rugby lea you'd guaranteed that. So yeah, there is some speculation where some people want to you know, push off the RFL, sorry, the NRL, to say, look, we've got this private equity investment coming in, so we don't need the NRL. But how realistic is that investment offer?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, it seems highly questionable.
Speaker 1: Shall we say anything else?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got one from Mike Smithhurst. Can you highlight the shock and coverage of the game and the red button or through the app? Also the clock situation, especially after the Saints match, and the continuing community communication problems for the officials.
Speaker 1: I think you spoke about that last week about the TV coverage that well, the.
Speaker 2: Clock situation, and I think the communication problems, at least the communication problems with the officials. I believe he's an RFL issue. The clock situation, I'm not sure. The Look, I'm a big fan of the game starts ten minutes, the coverage stat ten minutes before the game. You have nothing at half time. But if we're having every game on TV live, this is what we're going to put up with because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, beggars can't be choosers, which is exactly what I said last week.
Speaker 2: Exactly, So whether we go back to having two games a week or three games a week full coverage, or we have three games a week Paul red Button and we have three good coverage.
Speaker 1: I mean rugby league is also at the pointy end of what has been changing in the world quite significantly over the last fifteen years. Anything legacy media orientated is going downhill at a rapid rate, isn't it. There's less staff, there's less budget, there's less advertising spent on legacy media. We have had to move, whether we want to or not, into a more social media savy world. So Sky Sports is legacy media. It was around thirty od ago, so it's a legacy it's a legacy item. And therefore some of their production staff probably aren't there anymore on rugby league at least, and they probably have to prioritize their football output and some of the other sports, and there probably just isn't the manpower. And that's also probably why the TV deal has gone down over the years, because there's probably less money coming into the joint so and that's probably why it was sold a few years ago and what not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's less money for the TV deal because the games not growing in popularity, or in media coverage is actually shrunk, and there are other sports like darts and women's football that are taking common ches. They're getting big ratings.
Speaker 1: Sky are going where the fish is biting quite frankly, and the's not biting as much in rugby league.
Speaker 2: And there's not another broadcaster who's prepared to whacking a lot of money. So that's the only way to count that has become bigger and more.
Speaker 1: Popular, Shake Addison, Peter Landers.
Speaker 2: There's a few more questions, James Harvey think any of the newly promoted sides will strengthen further. That's a tough one, James. Look, I think York and to loose obviously getting half the distribution and and to lose having to pay the travel costs. I don't think there's any money for their Bradford possibly, but again I think all of those clubs you know are on fairly tight budgets. They don't have well, you know, well off owners, so I think any recruit would be limited. Nick Allen, this is a tough one. Of the three clubs that you've come up, who has impressed you the most thus far? I think all three of them have impressed me. Bradford really good against the Helens. Look to Loose, how to dig against Wigan obviously got beat and York pushed Warrington all the way. I think probably the one for me is York because to Loose were full time last year. You know, they kind of got the advantage of a club traveling to them and had that experience in Super League a couple of years ago. Bradford obviously picked up a lot of Salford players, the good rep as a coach and obviously historically have got that Super League link and you know, a big fan base. But York probably are the ones who've impressed me the most. But they've all done well. And then another one from Joe Kieran which coaches are already under pressure, will luke Rooms and keep his job after the dreadful start to the season. What do you think? Right?
Speaker 1: So let's deal with the promoted teams first, Simon paul on x had is it safe to say going to fourteen teams and success as a massive rugby fan after a poor Super League last season? I believe it has. I still think it's too early to tell right now. Right now it's fine, but to Loser already starting to find a bit of reality Bradford. Bradford have a lot more history to talk about and think about as players. So for example, you know, going to Saint Helens, they can One game that springs to mind is the Wide to West game, you know, the that that was at the height of Bullmania. So there's more history in Super League. To count On York, it's their first every year in Super League. They're not being in the top flight for for forty years, so there's a lot of excitement there to lose. I've already had a dip come back out again, so they're in a little bit of a different a different phase. So they're finding it a little bit tough for the last through a few weeks. I still think York and Bradford are living a little bit on adrenaline that will only last so long. Go on, what was the next question?
Speaker 2: Which coaches are already under pressure? Will Luke Robinson keep his job after the dreadful start to the season. Look, I think it's very early. I think obviously Haddersfield a bottom and I had a terrible year last year. I think I was at Hallisville again today in Luke Robinson said they've got fourteen of the what thirty man's squad injured. Yeah, picked up three or four more injuries today. It's the worth injuries crisis he's ever seen at a club, and he's playing and coaching career. I think you've got to give him some time with that.
Speaker 1: Well you know what, though, John, it all depends on what they did in pre season. So people always when they assess injuries, coaches will always say, for us, we've got injuries. It's also integral that the coach manages training loads with his staff to make sure that they are playing in a situation where they are less likely to get injured, so they're training methods and whatnot, and then also that they're also prepared. It's a very tough job. I'm not saying it is, but that's why they are paid to be the head coach. Now, I'm going to give you an example, a very very very relevant example to to tell you what can happen. When I was working in Super League. I won't give the team and I won't give the the year or anything like that, but I was working in Super League and in one season the club I was working out had a very very very good year and they had no next to no soft tissue injuries. The year after they changed the condition the strength and conditioner, the one that they had had based effectively retired or moved back to Australia. They changed the strength and conditioner and he was regarded as younger, more up to date, et cetera, et cetera. But this conditioner wanted the players to start doing deep, heavy squats in the gym and also a few other things in the gym. All of a sudden, this club in the second season started having breakouts of hamstring injuries and certain other soft tissue injuries that they didn't have before. So this is how delicate the balance is. And this all comes back to the head coach. The head coach is the one responsible for all this. Now there's injuries popping up all over Super League at the moment, right, and so the way to look at this is it might be unavoidable. But the ratio and the amount of injuries is the think, Okay, if you put somebody unprepared into battle, they're more likely to get injured. If you put somebody over prepared for battle, they're more likely to get injured. If you put them in in peak condition, they're less likely to get injured and it has to take something else to knock them off. So there is some responsibility on the coaching staff there also. I mean, I'll talk about it a little bit more in the match reviews. They are such a poorly coached defensive side. I'm so sorry. They are like five year olds on the edges. It's really bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just to jump back what you said, I did actually ask Luke about you know, have you looked at you know, training loads and you know methods, and he said, yes, they've they've swapped from training on forward you back to grass And with some of those I agree with what you said. But I think with some of those, like today George Flanagan Jr. He jumps up high for a ball, he lands very awkwardly, arguably maybe even gets hit in the air. That's where his injuries come from.
Speaker 1: John, Even with that right, I'll stop you right there, Sorry to interrupt. If your body is more likely to get injured because you haven't done things right, be enough, sleep, not the right diet, et cetera, et cetera. The person who's who is ready and who is in the right kind of condition. He jumps up for that ball, falls a bit awkwardly whatever it was my twister ankle a little bit, shake it off, get off. But there's still there is, still there is absolutely till something the coaching staff. I mean you you you what you what you often defer to me when it comes to coaching things. Yeah, I'm telling you there is. There is definitely a correlation between what they are doing.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm not I'm not disagreeingly, I'm just saying I think for some of those injuries many English today, he gets a cannonball.
Speaker 1: To the knee, you know, that's to avoid is that role for.
Speaker 2: The I think that was the last week concussion head knock in the game, you know. I think I think there can be perhaps some down to training as that's the thing. But look, I think the issue for Harriswood is not this. This is not the first year has happened. It has happened for a few years.
Speaker 1: So also also what they allow. So are there play are what are their players doing after games? How are they recovering?
Speaker 2: We don't know, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's the culture at Huddersfield Giants? Right? We don't know?
Speaker 2: Well, we do know the culture apart from your famous giants on leash, the culture has not been a winning culture since what twenty thirteen, so that's actually well, I think it was twenty it was twenty twenty two. I think they did finish third under well, they made the Challenge Cup one under in Watson, but you know they haven't had a good season results wise for a long long time.
Speaker 1: So yeah, any more questions?
Speaker 2: We do have a couple more, I mean, Phil Higgins, any thoughts on why there are so many injuries soil in the season. Too many games? We've covered that one ab seeing our refs too busy focusing on what happens in the tackle. Teams are able to be off side pretty much every set and get away with a question mark. Yes, I agree that. I agree with that. Also, who would be blame at shocks only serving eight minutes for a yellow? Also? Do hip drops not exist anymore since Morganoles has left? I think he's referring to the one on Jacob Host which broke his leg in the game against Bradford. I think hip drops sometimes, I don't know about Ulie. I find them hard. Had to pick out what is and isn't because sometimes they're very blatantly obvious, and the players like drops their weight. But other times, anyone who's actually you know, has made a few tackles in their life, bodies kind of get tangled up, don't they.
Speaker 1: You you know, Yeah, And a lot of them look like passive tackles to me. And because they go for the symptoms and not the cause, players are wired now to try and stop the opposition player getting down to play the ball quickly. So everybody who's been around the game for a long time, he says, we used to get rewarded for tackling around the legs. Now you don't you tackle around the legs, draft saying, get off. So we have to go higher. So we go higher, and then all of a sudden, if anybody ends up going a bit lower because they've got the feet in the wrong place when they're approaching, or somebody step them, all of a sudden, they're trying to do a passive tackle, but they think, oh no, we've got to keep them up, so they end up twisting them in some kind or somebody else comes in and offer something else. It's because we attack the symptoms, not the causes. So the hip drop is another thing that's coming to the to the rugby league.
Speaker 2: Lexicon I can't remember hip trubs ten years ago a little now.
Speaker 1: I can't remember him two years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well maybe two years yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Keep sending us questions guys at Johnny D. Davidson on X I'll speak for him and I'm Rugby League Coach on Socials and Rugby League Coach dot com to tell you if there's any more, John will talk about him at the end because I've still got more questions at the end. We should have Maybe we should just do a podcast, Questions Questions podcast every week. Mark Percival, is he going? Is he staying the class? Should I stay? Should I go?
Speaker 2: No? He has there's been a big, big backflip it. So he's resigned on a one year deal.
Speaker 1: What's going on there at that club? Why has that happened?
Speaker 2: There's a lot going on there? League?
Speaker 1: What's going on there? John?
Speaker 2: I don't know legally what I can can't say without getting sued, But I mean, I think it was reported he'd had a falling out with Saint Helens and was looking for an exit. You know, there's been allegations that he was offered a contract which he agreed to a two year deal, which was then pulled. Now I don't know whether that was a handshake or what, but I think St Helens have denied that, but that's been reported and lots of sources have told me about that, and which obviously Percival was very upset about. He was looking to leave. I think Catalan's and Wakefield and Huddesfield were interested and he was close to getting a deal with Hardestfield. Now my understanding is that there was some lawyers involved over this situation and Saint Helens have done a major backflip and managed to secure him in a one year deal, which is he's actually off going to be earning more money how the contract was. So it's quite bizarre, but yeah, it's it's there's been a very very big bad and obviously Mike Rush was the CEO involved in the personal negotiations previously. He's left the club now so it's Aimy is doing the negotiations. You can read into this a lot of ways, but as I said, I'll be somewhat careful of what I can say with that big suit.
Speaker 1: In terms of should I stay or should I go. Halifax were gone and now they're back.
Speaker 2: They are back, and it's good. Obviously you know that the club has been resurrected. I think their first game will be against London. I think interesting for me Lee is and I don't know a huge amount amount of Halifax history, but I know they've got a long, long history. But they produce a lot of players, like a lot of players. And I'm talking about rugby league town. It is a Rogan. They punch above their way. You know. You look at Camera Morgan Smithy's Manna Nicosina from Halifax that to lose Tyler Dupre, Jake Connor is from Halifax. There's other ones that don't come to mind, but Halifax. The thing is interesting. All those players, they didn't come through the Halifax Panthers system. I don't think they came through. I think along and came through Siddel although were picked up in terms of the two camera boys came through Wigan's system. Jake Connor came through Hudderfield system. Dupre was with Leeds and then went to I think it was Salford and then onto Wigan.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: So it's really interesting, like what is the kind of role for Halifax Panthers in that town. In fact, when there's the amateur clubs who are doing some great development work. Yeah, I'm sure that they play a role in the pathway, but I.
Speaker 1: Mean in terms of Halifax in the eighties, who won a league and a Cup, I.
Speaker 2: Was gonna say, yeah, that was Christian bull Dogs.
Speaker 1: And then and then they were in the first throws of Super League and there were the team that finished sort of eighth and ninth most years, and then one year I think it was ninety eight, they finished third, and then I think it was two thousand and two was there last year in Super League and then they dropped out so well in two thousand and three.
Speaker 2: I think the when they went bust in nine to ninety seven, and I think they see at the time was Nigel Woodley.
Speaker 1: So look, I think to put it into context for modern fans, this would be like Wakefield going belly up in thirty years because of the eighth and ninth sort of finishes, you know, like the.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, well. But my point is though, like obviously, you know, we don't want to see any clubs go under, but they're producing talent that isn't going to them. It's kind of an interestingly how this happens elsewhere. But it's like for for.
Speaker 1: Rugby, the same in Oldham, mate.
Speaker 2: Well all of them. Yeah, I've they've done that for years and year is with what Barry Mack and Kevin Sinfield.
Speaker 1: And for a while there it was the same okay are it was?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, And look I think Cass obviously there's a club in Cast, but Cass produced a lot of players who Rob Burrow for example, who you know, get their start at Leeds or other clubs. Paul Anderson was was a Cast boy. You know, it was great at Bradford and in Hellns, et cetera. So yeah, it's just an interesting one. But look, it's good to see the club coming back. Let's just hope they can, you know, run their business correctly, pay their taxes and not overspend.
Speaker 1: Inspired to do a poetry competition, James Varley, our mate, sent something through here. It is well, he sent about eighteen things through. I had to break. So if you want to send poetry, it needs to be sick lines maximum, because that's all I ever do.
Speaker 2: What is this the Times or something? Now?
Speaker 1: Mcafe, At least one of us has standards. Right as robins flew high and the dragons breeze fire, the consequences for Huddersfield and Lee were dire. The weekend started with Wakefield defeating Hull, then also defeats for to lose, Bradford and Castleford, which left things over which to mure as the Warriors, Saints, Rhinos and even in defeat York or perform like Knights. It was Warrington who won under the lights.
Speaker 2: Very good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know what, you know what, Yeah, good effort and all that, James, you get a badge for trying. But what James doesn't understand, yeah, is the meter of the poem. I've been doing some research. The meter is the rhythmetic structure of a poem.
Speaker 2: I'm just hoping no one's using AI tools for this poetry.
Speaker 1: Right last week I started talking about how Super League teams could be in groups. We sort of put them in groups. I'm now putting them in three. Groups. Last week was four, this was three. So I've got Wigan, Leeds, Warrington and Saints in the top echelons. I just think Saints are not showing a consistency of performance yet. Okay, I've spoken in the past about poor rulers, defenses, Middle Chunk to lose York, Bradford Bulls have been brilliant as we've said newly promoted side, so they're in the middle chunk. I'm now also putting Wakefield and Catalans in there. I like how Catalans responded this week. In the bottom chunk, I e we're in a bit of trouble and we've got some work to do. Huddersfield, I've got whole k are in there. I've got Lee Leopards in there. I've got Hull Left C in there. The one I'm really struggling to put into a category as Cast. But in terms of results, I've got to put them in that bottom group. But I think Casts are showing a bit more than Lee and Huddersfield at the moment, and possibly Hull Left C. So they're my three groups. York Night's thirty Warrington thirty eight to try Manic forty point first half it was helter skelter. What were you at the game or did you watch it?
Speaker 2: Like I was watching the League Atlins game, so I only saw the highlights. Look, I think Warrington probably had this one one by a fair margine, but a lot of credit to your full chloring back in and putting a lot of pressure on them. Look, I think it's Warrington three from three, not being you know, at the Wigan levels, but underfooded starts, so they've got to be very happy and you're again very very competitive, pushed a good Warrington team by the way, so sorry. I think it's a lot to like for both teams.
Speaker 1: Last week I did some analysis on the Warrington defense on the Rugby League Coach YouTube channel and I actually think their defense is structurally, structurally very good and I I think it's improved a lot from last year and I credit the addition of Steve McNamara to the coaching staff for that, I think. But sometimes teams can be not quite up for the fight. You know that we're going to York, we should beat them. We probably only have to play at seven out of ten intensity and that's probably what happened there. York still have some work to do close on their line. You get close to the line with York and you tend to come up with points, so they've still got work to do there. Warrington have Ghoul Vikings in the Challenge Cup next week and York faced keith Ley Cougar, so obviously Warrington should win that game against gool York. York should beat Cougar's And the good thing about that for York is that I think their confident run can keep going then as a rule, because I think they'll get confidence after what they did against Warrington. By the way you're describing the game, it was probably won by Warrington, and then Warrington took the foot off the gas. But mister Applegarth doesn't have to say to his players. He can massage the message and say, no, you fought back, boys, you fought back. And then this week they'll play Keithley, they'll beat them, and all of a sudden they've got a winning start to the season, or at least a fifty percent start to the season. So great stuff at York, and you know, I just hope it continues for a while. Lee Leopards sixteen, Catalans twenty two. Something's going on at Lee John. I mentioned this issue in our after the hooter last week when I talked about that player that turn round and blame someone. I've analyzed their defense this week with Warrington on my Rugby League Coach YouTube channel last week, I should say, and their defense is really poor at the moment, Lacking line speed, lacking intensity. They're still trying to catch and wrestle. They've now lost three Super League matches Lee and in a row, and they'll need to see an improvement if they're going to make the playoffs. The other worrying thing about this for Lee was Catalans had every used to lose. They had a mechanical fault on their plane, they had to make an emergency landing in Bordeaux. Their journey to Greater Manchester took sixteen hours before the kickoff. Tommy Makinson picked up an injury in the warm up and had to be replaced, and even then Lee scored the first try on ten minutes. It was a nice tribe that Tessi Nu finished. We seem to mention tes every week on this podcast. And it was six all at halftime. If you ask me, Catalan's had every reason if they were lacking confidence, or if the coach was down on them or anything like that. But halftime in that game, they could have gone, oh, yeah, all these things have gone against us. It's going to be a tough second half. That's what happens sometimes. Yeah, definitely it was a tough instead. It was a tough second half for Lee.
Speaker 2: It was yeah, look, I think broke the story an hour or so ago about my understanding that the chairman of Lee might learn them a stepped down. It seems like there's a lot of things happening at the club.
Speaker 1: The chairman of Lee, he might step down, yes.
Speaker 2: But I understand that he has stepped down. That's right.
Speaker 1: What's his name, Mike Latham? Yes, I don't Mike. Yeah, being a.
Speaker 2: Club a long time, being I think chairman since twenty eighteen. Yeah, there seems to be a lot happening behind the scenes. That obviously a big injury issue there with a number of key players out. But yeah, it's been a really tough start for them, and you know, I think another disappointing game.
Speaker 1: It was ill disciplined in the second half and the first half that cost him. I know, Lamb took somebody out off the ball and there was a high tackle that led to points in the second half. So one concern for Catalans was how many tries were conceded down there, right testing you again mentioning him again had some fun on that side and they and Lee were clearly attacking that side too, So they've obviously highlighted that as an issue, but it just wasn't enough to lose sixteen wig and thirty six. That Wig and Kit was hideous by the way that lime green, but it was eighteen nil after twenty two minutes and by analysis video coming out this week is actually showing how why Wigan are at the top of the table. They're building pressure. They're they're very patient, coming out of their own end. They're kicking deep, they're chasing, they're doing all the boring things and they're happy to be bored and all that pressure that they're building is allowing them to pile on the points early. It took fifty three minutes for to lose to score and that was then twenty two to six. Jack Farremond had a hand in four tries. Did you watch this game?
Speaker 2: I did. I mean, I'm a big fan of Pharamont.
Speaker 1: How old is it?
Speaker 2: That's a really good question. I'm thinking twenty one.
Speaker 1: Where's he from? Zeer Wigan? Lad, he's from Lee.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's a Lee Miners junior and I believe his dad's a coach or has coached Lee Miners. Look, he's a fantastic talent. Made his debut I think it was about two years ago, just half back. Uh and he's had to buy his time and obviously with the injury to Joe gire Field, they moved Bevan French back there and he just looked, I mean Pharamon when he was running the ball, he was I think he beatd three defenders on one of them and just skinned them like they weren't even there. They've just got so many players were getting in such great form and as you said, they look relaxed. They can you know, they can. They can bash you, they can skin you on the outside. They've got pace, They've got a lot of skill. Yeah, they just they just really really.
Speaker 1: I think they're the best coach side in the competition at the moment. I did an analysis, like I say, it looked at the tackle techniques compressed different. I believe I coached Batpete. I believe he came to Great Britain students training a few times. Yeah, so I don't remember meeting mentor should we should we give you never know he might be watching it might be watching me stuff. A lot of them do. But the worry for to lose, maybe the to lose coach should start looking all seven Wigan tries were on to lose his left Wigan right, so these patterns. These patterns are really really interesting to me. Defensively, Wigan conceded two of the three tries they conceded from a kick and one a penalty try, so even their defense held up. Saint Helen's twenty six. Bradford twenty two, the fixture famous for the wide to west moment, was another good game. I suppose did you watch this one?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I thought Bradford Shid are a lot of great Obviously, there was a few controversial moments. We talked about the red card. There was the clonal sin binning early on, which was also a big hit. I think it was slightly different than the other one, but you know you've seen you know those given red as well, so you could say maybe Clema got off lightly there. But yeah, Saint Helen's managed to get fight back and get the win. Bradford again really competitive. I like the way his team plays. But they picked up a couple of injuries as well, so I think that you know their depth is going to be sorely tested in the coming weeks.
Speaker 1: Their right edge got peppered. They conceded four of their five tries. Right, Yeah, Eastern Master has really got exposed a couple of times. I noticed that some poor defensive efforts from him, I would say, but Bradford was six points up at halftime and then went twelve points up, so so they definitely gave gave Saints a fright. It's not getting easier for Bradford. They travel to travel to Wigan on Friday the thirteenth, and but what will undo undo Saints this year when the Whips are cracking is the their defense. The Yeah, he's got some work to do. Paul Rowley talking of poor defense Huddersfield six or KR thirty two. You were at this game, I'll let you go on about them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, there was sixteen at half time and then Mikey Lewis scored a fantastic solo try right after halftime, and early in the second half the game was over the whole hour. Were just better in every department.
Speaker 1: Twenty two nil at half time, wasn't it?
Speaker 2: Sixteen nil? And then twenty two nil?
Speaker 1: Sorry just after half time? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, I were you know, they were trying to make amends from what happened in Vegas. They were, you know, strong in defense, they were very good in attack that they probably pushed a few passes, maybe try a bit too our times, but Hardsfield were just woeful, so many errors, cheap errors, and there was I can't exactly remember which player, but there was at least two occasions when they had two on one and the Senate didn't pass to is we're unmarked on the right or the left?
Speaker 1: Just to coaching?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean simple, simple too on ones it was like just look to you know, your left, to your right, if you've got support, if you've got support user, But yeah, I can't, I really can't say where Haddison was going to get their first win of the season at this point.
Speaker 1: Well, what shocked me about this was how easily hook I was scoring there. Try and bear in mind, whole k are a team that you could basically expose any lack of confidence that was there after what happened at Vegas and at York, holders Field has made it too easy for them.
Speaker 2: Well, how I weren't at their best by I think the best it would have been fifty.
Speaker 1: And Huddersfield only try he came from a high kick that lower here put down, So they didn't even really.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, no, they didn't really travel the defense match and these two teams play again in the Challenge cap in six days?
Speaker 1: Was it Flanning who kicked it and Lily here who scored it?
Speaker 2: On? No, I think it was Lolo who kicked it well, and then.
Speaker 1: I'm sure the BBC said Lola he had scored. Some of the stuff would never be wrongly as you know. Now Leeds twenty two Cast four, Jordan Brown, who was a teenager, scored his first Super League try forle Leeds. That was a nice touch. You know what I got me about this game? Obviously? Now my Casivo is the talk of Super League. But Rava Lawa for Casts did at make as Evo first on me Casivo side. Basically just it just barreled over for a try on eighteen minutes, all low, but then not to be able to don Sivo scored one back, and then another and then another and then another.
Speaker 2: Two of them, two of them from Seva I just I could have scored. He rolled over and one of them was a beautiful offload from Hankinson. But yeah, the one where he just went over. Whoever the cast player was, It's kind of like you think you know them. I've ever seen Civo play before. Because he did this for Paramouna for how many years. Like, you've got to get bodies in front of him, You've got to get up in his face. You know, you can't let him isolate a winger one on why why? Because you know what's going to happen. So yeah, but look, I think it's nine tries in three games, so they're not.
Speaker 1: Doing bad the lad It's like the early in Harland of rugby league. Casts are battlers and they've got a lot more about them than their results suggest. I think they don't lead tries as easily. They don't lead tries easily as a rule, and leads had to fight for everything. So CAS fans don't give up on your team or your coach yet. In response to the to the question we had before, Erin Francis asked, do you think each ref has a different understanding of rough speed? And then she asked me to tagger in the episode so can watch the listen. I can't do that, erin book because only because your tag won't come up when I try. But I'll put it back in that group voye as you can see. Do you think they have different interpretations of rough speed? John, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think they do. Yeah, I don't think it's the uniformity across the competition.
Speaker 1: Well, it comes back to leadership. Comes back to leadership. Then he to help them with that uniformity. And when you chase the symptoms rather than the causes, this is what happened early Bird on X. How does English Rugby League find more talent? Should every team have to run a genuine reserve grade and academy? It irks me. We don't insist on this talent is there if we allow it to flourish? Can I answer that, John?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The best it ever was, mister Airlybird, was when we did service areas. So what we need to do is look back at the model that happened in late nineties early two thousands. Service areas were about getting everybody in your area on side and on the same page and pooling all resources wherever you could. And the key thing about a development system is the bigger the bottom of the development pyramid, the more will rise to the top. You then, as you quite rightly say, mister aily Bird, who I've written down as Airline Bird on X, is you have to have the facilities and the pros to have these players filter through to the top and this could be a restructuring issue for the championship too. Maybe maybe some of them have to be genuine reserve grades. Maybe again I don't know, but ultimately service areas is the key at the bottom end, whether it's reserve grade and academies. I think they cost money and that's why some clubs struggle with them. So we're going down that avenue again of how much clubs can afford and whatnot. We need a twenty year thirty year plan to turn this all around. In terms of English rugby League, Ian Reed asked loans for a week or even two, are they really improving reserve players? Fitness? Is a championship game that far above a Super league reserve side. Does a championship improve by scraping through a game or two or should loans be for a minimum, say three months or not happen at all.
Speaker 2: I think the loans are definitely needed from both parties. I think a championship look, there's not many reserves fixtures, and I think a championship game is of a higher intensity, definitely a much stronger physicality. Yeah, I think we need one week loans and two week loans obviously, you'd like them longer, but it's always possible.
Speaker 1: I think I makee Ben sent a question really early. He loves our podcasts. I think this was Ben's question, would the NRL have the best interest of the UK game at heart or simply their own profits if they were to buy into it? And then he also asked, how did the likes of Shane rich Richardson do when they had senior roles at Gateshead and Hall FC and any other ossie or club director you can think of.
Speaker 2: The first part. Look, I think it's a bit of a bit of column mind, bit of comb I think the NRO can see that there's money to be made in the UK. They can sell merch, they can sell watch NRO packages, they can have origin and make a stackload of money. But they also realize that they need, you know, if they want to be a global game, they need one of the historically strong countries to be stronger, and they need opposition in the internationals because if you're just walking the ashes every day, what's the point of playing it? You know, And if you're the NRL, you want your next Sam Burgess, your next James Grahame, your next Mel Riley, your next Adrian Morley. So I think generally there is a thing of helping people on this side of the world as well as helping themselves. And I think you can use the example for New Zealand. Warriors have been fantastic for New Zealand rugby league. They're way more competitive internationally. They want to World Cup in two thousand and eight than they were pre Warriors. Look at P and G how you know they've improved and how they will go to another level with the Chiefs. So yeah, I think I think there is mutual benefits on both sides. On the other one, the Australian administrators, I know, Gateshead, Thunder one under, I don't think you can blame them all in Shane Richardson's you know, it's all his fault. Yeah, I wasn't covering the game when the Gateshead started in what was it ninety nine? I think yeah, I think Gateshead could probably be listed down a lot of the expansion teams in super Bogue, like Paris and Toronto and you know many of the other failed ones that what expected, strategy, what support. It's not like the Melbourne Storm, you know we're given forty million whatever it is quid over twenty thirty years by news limit. It is.
Speaker 1: I don't think different. I don't think it matters if they're Australian, are English or so. That is about who the best people are for the job. Yes, that it's that simple. And if they have an Australian accent, if they have an English accent, or if they have a two bleasy accent, then we need to we need to, we need to look at them and consider it.
Speaker 2: Is a point for your lee.
Speaker 1: Ben Blackwell asked the earlier question. Sorry, sorry, I've not I've not got the right person who asked that question. So Ben Blackwell, thanks for your question. I think we answered it earlier.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I was just going to say that there was a question that someone or comment that someone had about my eye story about the NRL and Super League potentially getting into bed with the concern that the Australians would not understand the tribal nature of rugby league in England, which I respond, I mean they'd like to get your thoughts leader, I responded, rugby league's pretty tribal in Australia.
Speaker 1: State of origin is tribal, definitely, That's the epitome of Australian tribuilt tribalism having lived, they just they just don't decide to sing at each other and bash each other and brisbane each other exactly perfect.
Speaker 2: But I know I know Western Suburbs fans who I can remember I worked in one in two and six and he filled out of rugby league of rugby league completely through the West Toys because he was a mad pass tragic and the mergers lost a lot of people to the game.
Speaker 1: So I think there was a couple of Roosters fans. There was a couple of Roosters fans turned up to a mate of Mind's dad who passed away in his eighties last year, who's a big self fan. A couple of Roosters fans turned up and everyone's looking at them, going, well, them two doing it. So Challenge Cup next week, so we won't have an after the hooter because I don't think I can watch these. Wakefield Verus leads on Friday, Wigan versus Bradford on Friday, York and Keighley play on Saturday, Ghool and Warrington. Okay, I have to go to Huddersfield again. I guess Huddersfield are going out of the court. Leon Hull f C is probably the pick of those ties and both of them need a win and I think whoever wins that game will get a bit of confidence going back into the league again. The other team will be licking their wounds. Casts and Saints. I think Saints good for that one, and Catalans for a Moldham. I wanted to talk about the NRL before we go, John. There was a headline in the Sydney Morning Herald this morning actually another NRL opening week of rule changes and confusion and confusion. Here's hoping history doesn't repeat. And that was by Dan Walsh. And I think when we criticize refereeing in England we need to be so happy that the referees don't have this paralysis by analysis attitude, because in the NRL it's the exact opposite and some people are switching off for it from it. Regardless of what Valandi says, some died in the world rugby league. People have had enough of some of these refereeing interpretations, let's say. So, there's definitely an issue in the NRL. Penrith put Brisbane to the sword on Friday and there's a headline in the telegraph, stroke, courier mail and I know, and you know better than anyone headline. You know, writers are a different breed to the writers sometimes. Yeah, Madge facing toughest test of career after brutal Broncos start was the headline. Now, my my thoughts on that, mister sub editor, are that you've got short memory. When he arrived at Brisbane a year ago, they were outside the finals and as Ramam had just been in trouble for doing what he was doing off the field, I'd say that was a bit worse. Also he coached West Tigers, so the target and so yeah, so the NRL has started. Quick review from you. John Roosters missed out at the at the Warriors. Broncos got heavily beaten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was very very poor and a lot of people faced them this year.
Speaker 1: There were only eight points off being scrubbed out of the comp In terms of if you conceived fifty.
Speaker 2: You're not going to come well. Paramatta were diabolical. The Storm looked very good. Yeah, Broncos again, can they catch a highball? I mean it's not the moment they carried the whole Car World Club challenge for me in obviously look mainly great ten minutes, first ten minutes, great last ten minutes, but they need to play a lot better than that consistently to have a good season. I didn't see the Titans game, but i'll tell you what. I felt bad for Josh because.
Speaker 1: I always laughed the two teams that made the most noises in the off season, or at least the media made noises for them. So that comes down to whatever's leaking out the place with Paramatta and Go cost Titans, and there were some and Brisbane, let's not forget the Brisbane Yeah, and Roosters actually, so there's a better noise around all those. So so there that was int I think the concern for the NRL this weekend would be some of the blowout scores. And it's funny once Saturday kicked in, game's got a bit closer, and I just wonder how much influencers coming for the top, from the top to the referees too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't see. I didn't see the game. I saw at least of the troll Tryer and it's just good to see him back full fitness of confidence because he's just got that ability like a gi just to get the ball bang bang bang to over defend, over defend and score and you just kind of go, how do you stop that?
Speaker 1: I saw some of that game, and what's clear to me is the Dolphins still can't defend so well.
Speaker 2: Christian waf Wolf is a hard task master. I imagine he'll be flogging his his players come on Monday morning.
Speaker 1: Mm, that was a bumper one, John. Yes, my my laptop battery is about to die, so we better better. My eyes are about to die. I should have warned my glasses. Look out for the analysis video this week. We're not doing an after the hooter. Have a great week, enjoy your Challenge Cup weekend and contact me Rugby League Coach dot comatay you at Rugby League Coach, on Socials admin at Rugby League Coach dot COMA tay you John X.
Speaker 2: Johnny D Davidson and on Facebook at John Davidson a journalist.
Speaker 1: He's got the balls now to get you to ex him again after his little wings the other week. See you later,