Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Do you want your Jeopardy question?
Speaker 3: Love it?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Pro Sports teams by Mascot for six hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: A bird named Poe?
Speaker 3: The name Oh Poe Poe? Yeah, I'm sorry, Baltimore raveil is. What else is Poe?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Po Like a po boy, like a New Orleans Saints little Poe boy sandwich running around.
Speaker 2: I'd be cute. I love a good Poe boy.
Speaker 1: I do a good one there and Carson Darrow's grill catfish Poe boy slap you in the face for one.
Speaker 3: Not at lunchtime place?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, we only do DV at the nine o'clock hour. What else is going on?
Speaker 4: Time four? What's happening?
Speaker 2: Probably not the best day to make that joke.
Speaker 1: The minute one brothers resentencing hearing has begun, there is a new risk assessment on the table. This is a risk assessment from the Parole Board which says, well, it's insinuated that it says that there are greater risk these brothers than you would think they would be having this isolated murder of their parents being a familial situation, the fact that they haven't accepted accountability or taken accountability for these murders is.
Speaker 2: Going to be a problem for them.
Speaker 1: A judge is considering whether to wipe off the whole without parole or without the possibility of parole from the end of their sentence, which would make them eligible for parole right away since they've served so much time. But it's up to the parole board whether or not it's going to be down with releasing two people that refuse to say they did it.
Speaker 5: A couple other court cases, one in France Kim Kardashian on the witness stand against a group of accused a group of people accused of stealing a bunch of jewelry from her. Remember that story. She was in Paris for Fashion Week in twenty sixteen. The other one is Cassie Ventura testifying in the case against Sean Diddy Combs. She testified just a few minutes ago that she was eventually disgusted and overwhelmed by all of these freak offs that he was forcing her to take part in, that she felt humiliated, She was disgusted. She said it was too much and it was overwhelming. She did take a quick break after that comment. The judge alouder a few minutes and then got back on the stand. Just a short time ago.
Speaker 1: The FDA announces it's going to begin the process of pulling fluoroid drops and tablets for kids off the market, usually given to kids at high risk for cavities.
Speaker 2: I was given fluoride as a child, explains everything, doesn't it?
Speaker 1: Weight gain, thyroid disorders, increased decreased IQ.
Speaker 2: Thanks mom?
Speaker 3: Wait is that? Oh that's real?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what they say.
Speaker 3: And jes you were born without a thigh.
Speaker 1: I thought ingested fluoroid can alter a child's gut biome, cause weight gain, thyroid disorders, and decreased IQ. But thanks for not backing off the weight gain portion of it. For the decreased IQ portion, Say that again, you know what?
Speaker 2: How about a fish sandwich for lunch? Again? I don't know why I keep threatening harm.
Speaker 3: Gas prices going up.
Speaker 5: Gas prices up over twenty three cents in California. We're at an average of four to eighty three gallon. I know that President Trump has been going around and talking about his describing the economy as successful and suggesting that egg prices are down and the gas prices are down, but he has not spent any time in California, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Did you see the full flower moon last night? It was a full moon. I thought it was more impressive the night before, on Sunday night, I thought it was more impressive.
Speaker 5: I saw it from the airplane on Sunday night, which was kind of cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you do your moon dance on the plane?
Speaker 3: No, not a lot of room.
Speaker 2: Well, you can't take.
Speaker 3: Out your clothes next to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you couldn't take off your clothes and put on the.
Speaker 3: I could have tried. I could have tried, and that would have made a headline, all right, and.
Speaker 2: You would have said it was for the flower moon.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm and be at acts surprised that not everybody was taking.
Speaker 1: Claim your tribal ancestry. How do you say white and Native American?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: No, you'd have to figure out which that would be your tribe. Griffith Observatory celebrating a milestone. It's ninetieth anniversary this week. First, it was the first public observatory to open west of the Mississippi May fourteenth, nineteen thirty five. They're going to do a special ceremony at the front lawn at about eleven thirty tomorrow before the door's open.
Speaker 1: The Native American term for white varies depending on the specific language and tribe. While Unga in Cherokee means white, other languages like Lakota and Navajo have different words, which I cannot pronounce. Lakota uses o was c shoe, washy shoe. Navajo the term is bio by Leigana, by Lagana. I think we'll go with the Cherokee term unga.
Speaker 3: It's a little easier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're from the Unga tribe.
Speaker 5: Before we get into our true crime Tuesday, there was a story also about the hunt for El Choppo Junior.
Speaker 2: Do we have the thing? What the music?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we haven't done the story yet.
Speaker 1: I know, but I'm excited for you are excited for it. Yeah, you have The bar is very.
Speaker 3: Low, very very low.
Speaker 6: All right, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KF I am six forty.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll have to get that thing here in just a second.
Speaker 2: I asked for the thing.
Speaker 1: It's my favorite part of any sort of El Chapo news.
Speaker 3: That's the weirdest thing to be excited about.
Speaker 2: But well we've had it for the whole.
Speaker 3: Joaquin Guzman is a just sucks. Somebody left a message for us a while ago about the l Chapo thing. I'll get to El Chapo here in just a second.
Speaker 5: Joaquin Guzman, the El Chapo, leader of the cartel down in Sineloa, is obviously in jail awaiting trial, and his son is probably the guy that they say has taken over Ivonne Archivaldo Guzman. Now, he was in a safe house in the Sineloa cartel stronghold of Kulia Khan earlier this year and special forces came in and do you know what they did? They blew the doors down looking for Van Archivaldo Guzman. He was able to escape using a trick that is Dad taught him. Remember when El Chopo left prison and ended up going through a tunnel to a tiny little house that was far away from the prison and was able to escape that way. Well, this is what Yvonne did El Choppo Junior. A cabinet in the bathroom covered the entrance to a tunnel where he was able to escape. That tunnel went three blocks to an uninhabited home. He left more than fifteen burner phones at the safehouse, along with a laptop, computer, family photos, and a room full of sports memorabilia. Yvonne is now he is forty one years old, took over the family business after his dad. The El Chopo was picked up in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: I believe it.
Speaker 1: Was Well, there's another son who's in the news for coming to the US for negotiations for a flea deal and has brought seventeen relatives with him.
Speaker 3: Well, what's wrong with that?
Speaker 2: It seems a little suspicious, seems.
Speaker 3: Like a lot.
Speaker 5: Do you have seventeen relatives? I don't even think I have seventeen relatives. Prosecutors say that Yvonne Archievaldo Gusman is one of the most brutal of a new generation of what they refer to as Narco juniors who have risen to the top of the cartel, especially now that they've gotten into the fentanyl.
Speaker 1: Do you want to dip into Mark Geragis he's holding a dog and pony show outside of the Menendez brothers resentencing hearing again, this judge could decide to take off the life without the possibility of parole, which would make the brothers eligible for parole right away, and then it would give if the judge decides that in this two day hearing I believe it's going to be few days, then it would go to the parole boards.
Speaker 2: They would make the decisions.
Speaker 7: Who was almost a surrogate mother and all of the extended family. They want them out, and they want them out now, and that's hopefully what the result that we're aiming for. I'll take a couple of questions.
Speaker 4: Would been really thrilled, you.
Speaker 5: Know, when they're on the stands that her bad part.
Speaker 3: And think their password free is going to pack on the questions, whether they're.
Speaker 7: Deflection obviously by the DA's office, I don't you know. As much as I object to the deputies in there, I think this new DA, as I said last week, I think he's got an unhealthy and unnatural belief that he needs to rehabilitate Jose. I don't know whose interest he's vindicating other than him and his dad's representation of Jose's business partner. It's interesting he wants to focus on tax fraud. Somebody just reminded me this is a guy whose father who was very well respected in this town and him for a number of years they made all of their money defending people accused of tax fraud, which so the irony is delicious.
Speaker 4: But the fact remains that the so called.
Speaker 3: Mark arras calling out defense attorneys.
Speaker 2: No, I think he's going after Nathan Hawkman, That's.
Speaker 3: What I mean.
Speaker 5: Father, Yeah, who representing people accused of tax frauds. A defense attorney going after defense attorneys is.
Speaker 4: Very rich clear as to what this is supposed to be about. This hearing.
Speaker 7: Resentencing is not to relitigate the facts. By the way, we're happy to do that. In the habeas. We have a separate proceeding pending. We have a separate judge to litigate that. That's where all of these arguments that they want to deflect here are from. And you may ask, well, then why are they bringing it up? You didn't ask that, but I'll ask your follow up. They're bringing it up because if they read the code section, if they are intellectually honest, they would understand that there are no two better candidates in the state of California right now for resentencing than Eric and Lyle Menendez for all of the.
Speaker 4: Reasons that we talked about.
Speaker 7: If they were intellectually honest, they would admit, you know what, we've used these guys as proxies for politics that shouldn't be Just let's try to course correct and get back to why we're here. We're here for resentencing, didn't I'm talking slower for covase soul. Wow, that's one question, but ask it slow, Robert.
Speaker 4: Will the brothers be able to address the court without.
Speaker 7: Being brest if the judge, as I understand what happened this morning, is in all sentencings in the state of California and mostly federal as well most jurisdictions, at a sentencing, you can do what's called an allocution, and which means you can address the court. If he recalls the sentence and then says I'm now conducting the re sentencing, they will be allowed to speak.
Speaker 4: With the judge talked about earlier. We're about to do that. But anyway, off on a candid here.
Speaker 7: The issue today on the recall of the sentence is very simple. Was stated on the record. Is there a likelihood that they will commit a super strike what I call the seven Deadly sins?
Speaker 4: There is zero likelihood. That's what the record reflects.
Speaker 7: Nobody has suggested that anywhere, anytime that is the calculation. If that is the calculation, the sentence should be recalled. And then this afternoon, when I come back out, we will discuss what the ramifications of that are.
Speaker 4: I'm going to take one more question. Then the promise was, Then the promise was.
Speaker 3: I'm not We've been listening to defense attorney Mark Garritto.
Speaker 2: Oh, Mark, he's so good at what he doesn't.
Speaker 3: He knows how to he knows how to work those those reporters like that. That's for sure, all right.
Speaker 5: So when we get into true Crime Tuesday, an introduction to a notorious serial killer. We believe here in southern California that until last night, I'd never heard of the Scorecard killer.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 5: Just before the break, you heard Mark Garages speaking. A judge over at Van Eyes is listening to arguments this week over whether Eric and Lylelmaninde should be receiving reduced sentences. Of course, they've spent more than thirty years in prison for the killing of their parents back in eighty nine. The attorneys their attorneys, including Garago's, expected to argue over the course of a two day hearing starting today that the brothers have been rehabilitated. They do have the support of some of their extended family as well.
Speaker 1: Have you ever heard of the Scorecard Killer active in Long Beach in the seventies.
Speaker 2: That is this topic of our True Crime Tuesday.
Speaker 4: The story is true true.
Speaker 7: No, it sounds made up.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Gary and Shannon present True Crime.
Speaker 1: Dan Salcito is a retired homicide detective with the Orange County Sheriff's Department. He says he's not the media version of what a killer looks like. If you put him in a room filled with people, he's the last one you'd pick. Talking about the Scorecard Killer.
Speaker 3: It's weird.
Speaker 5: So twelve thirteen years ago, Dan Salcedo was nearing retirement. He and a partner were on a I guess you'd say, a field trip to visit Robert Randy Craft, sorry, different guy Randy Craft in San Quentin and at that time been about thirty years since Craft had been pulled over by a couple CHP officers down in Mission Viejo, and they found some pretty interesting clue that he may have been a bad guy.
Speaker 3: The dead marine in his passenger seat.
Speaker 5: Salsato was already headed up to Santa Cruz part of an active investigation, and decided he was going to stop by San Quentin one more time, just take another shot at Randy Craft, just to see if there was any other information that he would be able to pull out of him. And that description of not your normal serial killer is kind of how he described it. He said he looked like everyone else. To this retired detective, there's nothing remarkable about Randy Craft's appearance or his persona. And he said he had a kind of a pathetic, get off my lawn attitude, but otherwise was utterly unimpressive. And he didn't see what some detectives describe in the eyes of killers. He didn't see the aura of evil or the junkyard stair. Just a bitter old man, is the way this retired detective described Randy Kraft.
Speaker 1: He was referred to as a scorecard killer for a codd list of more than sixty entries believed to correspond to his victims, mostly young men and marines, whom he tortured, raped and murdered before dumping their bodies, sometimes on roadsides, off ramps, public spaces, and for a decade He trolled and terrorized the Southern a southern California area while confounding law enforcement up until that random traffic stop with the dead marine in the passenger seat. When he was convicted, he was believed to be the most prolific serial killer in the country at that point, and.
Speaker 3: Although his total may have been eclipsed.
Speaker 5: He was convicted of sixteen murders, they said he suspected of at least sixty five more, and there are potentially one hundred or more unsolved murders throughout California, Oregon, and some in Michigan.
Speaker 1: He was born in Long Beach in nineteen forty five. Parents had moved there from Wyoming, and they said the ultra conservative nature of Orange County was befitting for him, given high school classmates described him as somewhere right of Attila the hun.
Speaker 5: He went to Claremont College. After he graduated, studied economics. Big Berry goldwater supporter supported the Vietnam War.
Speaker 3: He grew a beard.
Speaker 5: They said that he kind of fell into the worldwide protests back in sixty eight, which would have been an unusual spin for him. He just as voraciously supported the efforts of Robert F. Kennedy, and in nineteen sixty eight he came out.
Speaker 3: As gay.
Speaker 5: He was dismissed from the Air Force on account of what they referred to at the time as medical problems.
Speaker 2: He went to.
Speaker 1: Sunset Beach a lot the gay bars. He would go back and forth from Laguna to la He was fully entrenched in a newly gay social life, apparently lived off a diet of meth and beer, diving into excesses.
Speaker 3: So it's about this time.
Speaker 5: That he starts running into people and decides that he could take advantage of them. He ran into one overly confident runaway, asked him for a cigarette, and being obliged, this guy was then lured in, not only by the prospect of having a place to say, Randy seduced him with the idea that there may have been a lady waiting at his apartment to take the young runaways virginity. So they go up to pch in Belmont Shore, some wine, some pot, a couple of pills handed out like juice and candy until the kid was basically knocked out. Randy took advantage of him. When the boy had a chance to stumble into Belmont chores, he had nothing of They said nothing of that attack, including a sexual assault, for thirteen years.
Speaker 2: He was so prolific and so active.
Speaker 1: They're still connecting bodies to this guy in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: We'll tell you about that when we come back.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: The first ticket to the NBA Conference Finals could be punched tonight. Pacers can earn a spot when they take on the Calves in Cleveland at seven pm. Eastern Pacers lead that one three to one in the way to the Oklahoma City Thunder hosts the Nuggets.
Speaker 2: Pivotal Game five.
Speaker 1: That series all tied up two games apiece tip off at six thirty hour time.
Speaker 5: Stocks rally today after this encouraging report that showed inflation unexpectedly slowed across the country last month before we see much of a bump from tariffs, if any. The Dow started the day in very positive territory, but is down about one hundred and ninety right now. S and P five hundred and the Nasdaq are both in positive territory with just a few minutes left in trading.
Speaker 1: We are talking to or about the scorecard Killer, the man who created a lot of terror in the seventies, especially in the gay man community, as he would troll the different gay bars.
Speaker 2: Ended up fixating on marines.
Speaker 1: Young gay men that he would drug and kill and dump along the highways and byways.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: One of the reasons why I'd never heard of this guy is because the southern California landscape of serial killers was rampant, shall we say, in the seventies, especially for young men, especially for hitchhikers, because not only did you have Randy Craft again, the so called scorecard killer, but you had William Bonnen, you had Patrick Kearney, and their killing spreees overlapped. They are credited is blamed, that's the right word. They're blamed for at least one hundred and fifty murders at different times. All of them were referred to by the moniker the freeway killer because of the similarities. So Patrick Kearney is caught in nineteen seventy seven, they figure their detectives think they got their guy. Bodies keep showing up. William Bonnan captured in nineteen eighty and they figure they got their guy, but they continued. These bodies kept piling up until Randy Craft was caught and again we talked about that random traffic stop and nineteen eighty three when he was caught on suspicion of drunk driving with the corpse of our marine in the passenger seat.
Speaker 3: But these stories, he's convicted of sixteen.
Speaker 5: They believe that he had a list of more than sixty in the car, hence the scorecard, but that they're still finding victims.
Speaker 1: Yes, they have identified recently a man who was found dead along the highway up in Oregon more than forty years ago that they now believed was the work of the scorecard killer. Oregon State Police Captain Kyle Kennedy says the man found identified as a thirty year old Larry Eugene Parks, a Vietnam veteran whose family had lost contact with him in seventy nine. His body was found in July nineteen eighty along the five, a suburb of Marion County, Oregon.
Speaker 2: There would burn and they didn't identify him.
Speaker 1: They just identified him last month and they have linked his death Larry Parks to Randy Kraft.
Speaker 3: Interesting because.
Speaker 5: Parks's body was found just a day after a seventeen year old was found along I five, also near a different exit there in Marion County. We're talking about the area along Eyefive between Salem and Portland. And at the time they said due to similarities in the evidence and the conditions of the bodies and the age and the gender, they suspected that the two murders were related. But at the time the investigation into Parks's body into Eugene Parks, it went cold. O'fallen, the seventeen year old that was also found there, was later linked to Randy Craft when investigators said they found a camera in his garage after the drunk driving arrest in nineteen eighty three, and it was Michael o'fallen's mother's initials that were inscribed on the camera. During the trial that mom took the stand was able to identify that camera. And again, as I mentioned, one of the reasons why they had a hard time figuring out who this was is that William Bonnen was also active in the at that time. He was that truck driver out of Downey. And again they just assumed that there was there was only one on their loose, because why would you ever assume that there were three serial killers that were active all at the same time.
Speaker 2: Eighty years old. He is still alive.
Speaker 1: You wonder, I mean, what a time for serial killers the seventies and the eighties and then DNA testing and all the things, and people were.
Speaker 2: More attuned to this sort of thing. But I mean, it's not like.
Speaker 1: DNA and environmental factors stopped producing serial killers.
Speaker 2: They're just not. You're just going to get caught these days.
Speaker 3: Well that is a question is will there ever be serial killers like we saw?
Speaker 1: And what are they doing in Lewi? The killing they walk amongst us, not killing.
Speaker 3: But wanting to doing what.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Something to think about and go to sleep tonight.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 2: The good news answer that late night knocked at the door.
Speaker 1: The good news is the John Cobalt shows coming up, and that's always unicorns and rainbows.
Speaker 5: Between the end of our show and the beginning of John's show. The magic people around here will put the podcast together. So you miss any part of our show, go back and check out the podcast. Just type in Gary and Shannon wherever you find your favorite podcast.
Speaker 2: People keep saying the new Pope looks like Ken, I don't see it.
Speaker 3: Oh, he don't see it?
Speaker 2: I Ken, I don't see it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, or maybe you saw him every day for so long that you're they don't all look like face numb to him.
Speaker 3: I see him.
Speaker 2: I just know the intricacies of Ken's face.
Speaker 3: Close. Were you to his face?
Speaker 2: I mean, I know your face.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you sit closer to me now than you did to Ken when he was doing the show.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, and your eyesight's better. His face was more acceptable. Maybe I appreciate that mine's average and his was more average. John show up next. We'll see you tomorrow. Stay dry, everybody bless. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show, you can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.