Speaker 1: Look up with come all the things on the bottom. Oh wow, is you You're my favorite view?
Speaker 2: But there's nothing.
Speaker 3: And we are back, Welcome back Bumble.
Speaker 4: Today, we are doing something that we have not done in a very long time. Uh and I think that we've only done two or three times total since we started the podcast, and we are doing a zoom call with a couple who is going to treat this almost the way.
Speaker 2: That we do couples retreats.
Speaker 4: They're going to tell us what's going on in their lives and we're going to try to troubleshoot and help them. And the couple that we have on the call's name is Addie and Hobby. Anything you want to add before we just jump right in because this is definitely not a housekeeping moment. Okay, you guys might see us eating because we're it's dinner time and I'm not ashamed to eat on cameras, so you may see me eat. She's looking at like maybe not yeah cause the chewing. Yeah yeah, okay, no problem.
Speaker 5: We just say jack in the box.
Speaker 2: So all good, nice, nice, All right.
Speaker 4: So what do you guys got going on in your lives that you wanted to do the zoom call.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying it's mainly me. My husband is a very hard working man who does not spend much time on the internet. However, I consume your guys is content like a good book repeatedly. You guys play in my house on repeat most of the time. I just find that I feel we struggle with not only some boundaries with his parents. I feel like maybe he doesn't he doesn't always stick up for me to his mother when I feel he should, and not that his mother isn't great. She she always goes out of her way to help us, but she also tends to talk smack to us about my health when I'm not doing what I'm doing, kind of coming trying to come into our marriage where I feel she doesn't be long. And then I also feel like when I'm upset, he can't necessarily communicate how he's feeling or why he's feeling that way, and I don't quite get the closures that I need all the time.
Speaker 3: Okay, you want to start with the un laws, baby, I would like to hear why.
Speaker 6: Husband, you agreed to the zoom call before we start breaking down.
Speaker 7: So basically agreed to this because one she she had me do this because, yeah, I have bad communication skills most of the time, especially with my emotions.
Speaker 8: It's one of the reasons she wanted us to do this.
Speaker 5: She asked why you agreed to do it?
Speaker 8: Because I agreed for you and because I had that communication.
Speaker 4: So just because of the weird cutout, he said that he wanted to do this because he's not good with communication and because she asked him too, and he wanted to.
Speaker 2: Be there for her. It's a great answer.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Okay, I'm hung up on this. I can't move pastes. And I'm not laughing because of the situation. I'm laughing because of how my brain works. Hobby started answering, and when we came back, you said specifically she had me do this the call whatever it was going to lead into. And then you followed up with you agree that you have poor communication and the emotional aspect of things. And then Addie jumped in and you corrected the way that he was answering by re asking my question in a slightly aggressive tone. I'm not saying that you did that on purpose. I also, I don't know you, so that could have just been you as a person, and ask how I'm reading it with our first interaction, But I am going to ask did it not sit right with you? The way that your husband was answering that question, I.
Speaker 5: Just felt like maybe he didn't maybe because me and him are both like very adhd. I'm also autistic, just for a little bit of background, but we tend to like our short term memory is terrible. So I was like, Okay, maybe he didn't remember the exact question, So like, let me make sure that he knows, because I don't know. I guess in my brain you can't. You can agree to do something for somebody else, but the way that Chris asked the question, that's not the way I interpreted it, I guess. So I was like, let me make sure that he knows like he remembered the question.
Speaker 6: But yeah, okay, there was no right or wrong answer to that. Just wanted to see where you were at in that. So now let me ask, Hobby, is that how that felt came across to you? Because in your response, it felt like you doubled down a little bit on.
Speaker 3: On what you said.
Speaker 6: So did you feel a little bit defensive, did you feel like you're being corrected or was there an understanding of that was what was coming across.
Speaker 8: No, technically, that's just her voice. It seems suggressive sometimes, but.
Speaker 7: Sometimes she doesn't let me finish completely completing my sentence.
Speaker 8: So that's why she interrupted by exiting.
Speaker 6: Okay, I want to revisit that, but I want to continue into the conversations of what Addie had brought up and see if see if this is a pattern or because you said that she can interrupt, not saying that that's a bad thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my mind is just very short circuited. So especially like when we're having a conversation, I would say and like she said something that sparked something in me, and then my ADHD kind of goes off on a rabbit hole trail for a minute, so he has to bring me back to what we were talking about. Or sometimes he'll forget to you know, that kind of thing. But it's not meant like in either like a disrespect or I don't think he knows what he's talking about. It's just something sparks in my brain that if I don't tell you, I'm gonna lose it. And it happens a lot. I'll lose what I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: Are you waiting on me to speak?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I feel like you got something to said.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean I have a lot to say. My two big things though, is that the cutting somebody off, even if it's not a malicious way, You're training your person to stop speaking when you start talking, and they will get to a point where they're going to find the inability to speak to you because every time they're wanting to say something, they get cut off. And it's a psychologic or a subconscious training. It's something that you're aware that you do, which means you need to work on it. And the other thing was the the correction. The Yattman Institute says that correcting your partner on small things, on anything, really doing the correction. If somebody's telling a story and like twelve years ago and you're like it's thirteen, like that shit does not help the story at all. That minute detail doesn't matter, But you correcting your person like that becomes an embarrassing thing to them. And the Gotman Institute says that that's one of those things that is a marker when they are looking for couples to whether they're going to make it or not. So like correcting your person is a huge no, you know, especially in like public settings. If you need to have a discussion afterwards about things, you can do that. But I'm not sure if we've talked about that a whole lot on the podcast. So I wanted to excuse me. I just wanted to put that out there so that it was known. All right, those are my two big things. I figured you got a shit ton of notes already, so.
Speaker 3: Uh no, this is just for me keeping track.
Speaker 6: I retain better not only when I hear it, when when I write it down. That's how I process the important facts to me, and I filter. I agree with those both points. Both of those points I don't want. I don't want anybody to feel bad about that, right Addie for you interrupting, like, don't feel like you are a bad person or fill in the blank with the negative thing. These are the small, minute things I get overlooked often in a relationship, and these are the small things that will lead people to I don't understand how this became a big fight, right right, because it's those small, subconscious frustrations that chip away at the foundation. Gentle perspective, gentle correction.
Speaker 4: Yes, there's a whole lot of things that have to happen in doing these things. It's like the karate kid, the wax on wax off thing where he's sand index and painting houses and all that shit is to teach you how to end the moment, react or respond accordingly to situations. So when we give you these minor corrections of the way that you talk to each other, this is so that when you have big things, the work has already been done and it makes it very easy to do the thing. I just heard it click, the yes, it builds the foundation. I heard a click. I thought we lost everything again. They're still there though.
Speaker 6: Okay, so let's jump into so you said mainly me, Addie. When we asked what why are we here? What's the purpose of the call? You said mainly me? And then you went into struggles with the boundaries and then how he does not how you feel? Right, I'm not going to say that he doesn't what it's not a fact you feel that he does not stand up for you in regards the mom who oversteps boundaries? Why do you feel like that's a you thing? First, let's start there.
Speaker 5: So we have been together a little over four years. We got married two years ago. Now, in that whole span of our relationship. His side of the family has a lot of Type too diabetics, whereas I am a genetic Type one diabetic, meaning I don't produce any insulin at all. Whereas Type twos, it's normally based on their lifestyle. They can take a pill to you know, activate more insulin production, things like that, But the way that you care for these two diseases are very, very different, and in my case, my diabetes is intertwined with all of my other health issues. So since I've been with him, since we've been together, she always makes these sni sidemark comments about how about what I should be eating, how my body looks, what I'm wearing, how I'm acting, what I'm doing, I'm not doing enough in our household. I'm I'm not being a good wife she's given me. She's about our financial things, all all just little things that you would think a wife needs to take care of. Those things are what she specifically attacks on top of my health, which she does not see behind closed doors, and those comments. Growing up in the trouble home that I did, my mom made those comments my whole life, even though she was there from the day I was diagnosed and heard from the doctors. There was nothing we could have done to prevent this disease because my older brother has it as well.
Speaker 4: Okay, we have to pause because there's so much going on here that needs to be addressed, and if we don't work as we go, we're gonna get in misship.
Speaker 5: Yes, I got you.
Speaker 2: Are you ready? Yepkay? Go ahead.
Speaker 3: So I first want to touch on Hovey.
Speaker 6: What is your perspective? Let's just start with the mom saying Snyder about your wife's chronic illnesses. Do do you have the same perspective that she makes snydermarks and she oversteps and verbally attacks your wife's existence.
Speaker 7: So she does, and you know I do tell her when my wife's not around because I don't want her to see that side of me.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 7: Yeah, she does back down a bit once in a while, but she tends to she's just like her mother, which well my grandmother, which they tend to bring it up again, and it's a pet peeve that she has, and I keep telling her that that's like a big issue with her as well.
Speaker 3: What do you mean a pet peeve?
Speaker 7: Like my mother and my grandma When they start something, if you tell them to, they'll stop from that time, but like after a while they'll bring it up again, like if they didn't have the conversation. It's one of my pet peeves that okay.
Speaker 8: And mainly most of the family when it comes to that.
Speaker 6: So I want to pause there because this is very very important to me. You calling what they're doing a pet peeve is diminishing the way that they are disrespecting the relationship. And there's a relationship just being beyond blood relatives. There's a level of respect in handling things. If you go to somebody and say you are disrespecting my wife and this is not okay, and they stop it for a week or two, and then they pick it back up. They heard what you said, and they don't care that it bothers you because they reverted back to that behavior.
Speaker 3: Don't don't call that a pet peeve, because, like I said.
Speaker 6: I believe that that's diminishing the irrosive behavior of what they're doing. I think it's grander than a pet peeve.
Speaker 4: So she said a couple of things that really stood out to me. One, there's a whole lot of things you have me to take that off you so you need Oh yeah, there's a whole lot of things in that line of statements that should not be a thing to begin with. There's no reason that your in law should know what's going on in your financial situation. There's no reason that they should know the intimate details of your marriage. There's a whole lot of.
Speaker 2: Things. There's a been meshment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a whole lot of things that you need to maintain as like sacred in your marriage. And then you even said something along the lines of the finances are something that the woman is supposed to deal with. I actually disagree with that across the board. I think finances are a man's job. Statistics show that we spend money differently when we are in charge of the finances. We are less likely to spend on ourselves and more likely to spend on our women. And there's a whole lot of quality of life things that change because we get better raises. We tend to look for better paying jobs because we know where the money is. And as like traditional marriage, it's very important that a man is very hands on with the finances. Back to the other things, though, the intimate details of your relationship should be your relationship. If there are problems happening in your household, and Hobby runs to mom or grandma and goes and explains what's happening to them, and he's trying to get feedback, and he's got good intention there. They now have something to gossip about between the two of them when he's not on the phone, and aunts and cousins and everybody else gets to know about what's going on in y'all's marriage, and what is a sacred space in your home is now a discussion piece for everybody else's gossip. It then gets thrown back in face later and it changes the way that people look at you, and it creates what we call a negativity bias from the people that are in your lives looking into your marriage, and that should never be the case. If you guys are having issues, there are better ways to get information, and it needs to be from somebody that doesn't have any skin in the game whatsoever when it comes to your life. So that was my big takeaways from what was said there.
Speaker 3: I just want to touch on one more thing that Hobby said.
Speaker 6: You said that you will correct your mom when your woman's not present, So there is a level and I totally get it that you don't want your woman to see you like that. But there is a level that she has to see that my man's willing to step up for me no matter what. So you doing this behind closed doors?
Speaker 3: Real shit.
Speaker 6: If I were in these shoes of your woman and you're telling me that you're having conversations with your mom and then her behavior is not changing, you're.
Speaker 2: Lying to me, That's how I would view that too, all right.
Speaker 6: And I'm not saying that you're lying, but that's how it would feel. Because I'm not present, I can only do based off of what you're telling me, and there's no change in action.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's also a whole lot of primal shit that happens when you defend your woman against people, regardless of who they are, and so like there's a lot of like they fucking got me, especially when there's loved ones involved, and like it shows that you are putting the marriage above everything else. So in that situation, if you were to correct the behavior in the moment, like, Hey, that's my wife, You're not going to do that. I don't appreciate you talking to her like that. If it continues. We're leaving. When you guys get in the car, the ride home is going to be incredible. Yes, right, there's going to be a whole lot of new connection established because you just did the fucking thing. As the man of the relationship, there's a lot of protect, provide, and lead in those moments.
Speaker 6: So and confrontation or correction doesn't have to be aggressive. It doesn't have to be this thing where I don't want my woman to see me like that. That tells me that there's heightened emotion. It could be anger, it could be frustration, it could be yelling, it could be fear, fear, name.
Speaker 3: Calling, whatever the case may be.
Speaker 6: This conversation with your mom is a very calm and simple one. You're not going to talk about or speak to my woman like this. And this is one of those situations where you are going to be presented with very hard decisions because you can't make your mom or your grandmother.
Speaker 3: Do anything, do anything.
Speaker 6: So if they continue to chip away at your marriage and continue to chip away at your wife, going to have to decide what am I willing to do to protect my wife and my marriage. And that may look like distancing or limiting. And like I said, that doesn't have to be crazy aggressive. I'm done with this And unless you decide that you want to treat my wife with respect, we don't have to have communication for six months or three months or whatever whatever.
Speaker 3: The that looks like, I.
Speaker 4: Am going to turn our video off on Zoom guys, because I'm getting notifications from YouTube saying that they're it's killing our band with having lives running on two different things. Okay, so the video is off cast still going you guys just can't see us now. So now we're on the phone together. Would you got anything else on that?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: Okay, got it? That means I got to join your YouTube.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's behind so you just watch it without the audio so that you can see our facial expressions or whatever. I understand from a family to new family perspective, not wanting to create waves and like real shit. If he has a good relationship Pavi, if you've got a good relationship with your grandparents and your mind, the last thing that you want to do is to create any type of real waves and be nasty to them because you love your family members. So again, like Peter said, this isn't a matter of being aggressive and being like fuck you, blah blah blah. This is a matter of being like, hey, we exchanged vowels. This is my wife now and I plan on spending the rest of my life with her, and I wouldn't allow anyone else to talk to her like this. And I love you Mom, I love you Grandma, But like you, guys can't can't talk to her like that. And if this is going to continue, it's going to disrupt the relationship that all of us have and I don't want that. I need you guys to respect my marriage, respect my wife, and doing so, you're respecting me, and do its in it as a diplomatic way as possible so that it's not coming across aggressive. But you also have to be prepared for them to take that in a negative way, because nobody wants to be told that they're doing something wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anything else, I am ready to continue.
Speaker 6: I'm ready to continue. We said a whole lot, So you guys feel free to get into anything next that you would like to get into.
Speaker 8: Yep.
Speaker 5: In terms of like our like who works with our finances, it's because my right now, my physical capacity is very low with my health issues, and my husband, I'm gonna be honest, money is not his thing. All the logins we have for our bills. That's just that's not his deal now. He makes all of it. He provides for us completely, and thankfully I can take the time away from working if I choose to, but I really lately I feel like I struggle with feeling like I'm not showing my appreciation enough because I can't physically clean up a mess or do the dishes right now, and I just I'm not sure how else to show my appreciation. And I know, as our provider and protector and everything and the lead in our relationship, that it's his job to provide and protect and everything, and he always wants to treat me better than himself. But it makes me feel like I'm not doing my part because I physically can't right now.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I pausive again because there's two different aspects to this, the first one being the finance, is the second one being the change in health and the way that things are being taken care of. If you're better at taking care of the finances, there are people in relationships that don't want to deal with the money at all.
Speaker 2: And I get it.
Speaker 4: It doesn't change what I said about the way that money is spent. So if you were dealing with the finances. You need to be doing check ins two to four times a week about where things are financially. Hey, I paid this bill, there's x amount in the account. Hey, I just put this into our saving Now there's this amount in the account. And the check ins don't have to be very long. Your credit card has one thousand dollars available on it, it's at forty percent charge. Don't use it until I pay another payment. There needs to be a constant communication happening with finances, real shit. I truly believe that every single relationship that ends up in divorce has finances within the top three, if not the number one spot, every single time, even if there's infidelity. I believe that the stress starts with finances and it makes everything else fucked up. So there's no reason that that finances aren't a daily or every other day conversation. We talk about it multiple times a day, every time something comes up, anytime there's money going out, if a credit card gets paid, I don't just take care of the money. She knows that the shit's taken care of, but I tell her what's going on, what's coming in, what's going out, so that she's in the know of everything. She has nothing to do with our finances. She's like, hey, I want to buy this thing is their money, And I'm like, go do your thing, babe, because that's I don't even know. That's what I do with the finance. I don't think that you even listen to me most of the time, but I do. Well, I'm to a degree that if you did, you wouldn't have to ask me.
Speaker 3: Most of the time. I don't. Yeah, if it's over three hundred bucks, but.
Speaker 2: That's good, that's fair. I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know what, I realized, it's three hundred bucks in one blow.
Speaker 6: Like I'm cool with spending fifteen bucks here and there, and then adds up to three hundred bucks and I don't say anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what were you saying, Hobby? Well, oh, okay, I thought you were cutting out or you were cutting out. I thought you were saying something.
Speaker 8: No, it's because uh.
Speaker 5: I was in the first YouTube one where like the call got jacked up and you had to redo the thingy, so I wasn't in the correct one. And he's looking at my screen frozen, like, hey, m I want to check the discord because that's not the right video.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, gotcha? Okay.
Speaker 4: So the other thing was do you have anything on the first part of that, on the finances, I do not, Okay. The other thing was the health and the feeling like you're not doing enough and him taking care of you more than himself. That's what I was talking about with the finances. When we know what's going on, we're more likely to send you to retreats. You're more likely to get your hair done, your nails done, the new thing that you want, getting your car detailed, whatever, whatever, whatever, because we want to make sure that you have a life of abundance. That also makes us work harder, It makes us earn more over the cost of the course of a life, and it inspires us to continue to find better pain jobs. You can go on the other aspects of that with the the thing.
Speaker 6: Okay, So I wanted to touch on you said that you are struggling because you can't do the dishes or you can't clamp a pile of a mess, and that is what you ac create a credit, a credit your appreciation to being shown as so if I am hearing you properly and you can correct me if I'm wrong, it sounds like your love language to show that you love him as acts of service.
Speaker 3: And girl, you got to listen to your body.
Speaker 5: Or gifts as well. And I feel like he doesn't receive gifts well because he keeps telling me no, he doesn't want anything and to just get what I need. And I feel very frustrated with that. But I'm still learning about love languages and like giving and receiving of love languages. I'm still new to that and it's something I severely struggle with because of my autism. I have to start. I'm still learning to recognize what they are and how to do that.
Speaker 4: Your autism has nothing to do with you learning the love languages. There's five of them, and they're super easy to understand. You guys can sit down do the love language quiz in fifteen minutes and understand all of that very very easy. That's a super super simple thing. It's just dedicating the fifteen to thirty minutes to do it. You can't expect somebody to live your love language. You're giving gifts in the ways that you do love languages, and the way that you show love may not be how they receive it. Like if peaches, I give gifts I'm a gift giver, but I don't want to receive it. I don't want anything like that. It makes me uncomfortable when people give me things. So if she owns tried to shower me with gifts, I would feel neglected in the other aspects of my life that I need to fill my cup. So you guys do need to do the love languages. I used to think that shit was pop psychology. It's fucking real. Yeah, you know, we all need specific things in our life to make sure that we are seen and heard and validated and important. And a lot of men don't have gift giving or receiving as a love language. It's low on the total poll for us. It's words of affirmation and physical touch almost across the board.
Speaker 6: So I just wanted to present a different perspective to that this is just a possibility, right, So there's a shadow to everything in life once the light hits it. And is it possible that the shadow of you showing your appreciation through acts of service is that you have your self worth tied to the labor that you can provide, versus trying to show him appreciation through being able to maintain the household or fill in the blank of that. And you don't have to answer that right now. If you would like, that could be like a journal question for yourself later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's definitely a journal problemamb.
Speaker 5: Honestly, it already kind of hit me.
Speaker 2: I feel like my situation that hit me.
Speaker 5: My work has always been connected to what I can provide other people due to the way that I was raised. It is, and it's something I'm still trying to relearn that that's not always curate.
Speaker 3: Did you cut out? Are you done with your sentence?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 5: That was the my said sentence is that it's not always accurate, Like just because you can't do hard labor or do a service of some sort shouldn't necessarily determine your worth. And that's something I'm still having to reteach reself.
Speaker 3: All right, So let me help you with that reteaching.
Speaker 6: You said that you have always been this way with your chronic illnesses, and I will put I don't know. I don't have bricks of gold, but if I did, I would put my bricks of gold on the fact that Hobby did not marry you because you have been an athlete, marathon, house taker, care over or fill in the blink, right you. You provide happiness and joy for him in other ways. That is not the quote unquote common womanly duties of maintaining the household or cooking every single day. Or I don't think you guys have children. I feel like you would have said that by now. But if you did, like running the appointments and making phone calls.
Speaker 5: We've been struggling with fertility for a little over two years now, but it's definitely something we are trying for. But no, we have not had children yet. We just have three for.
Speaker 4: Carrently, Okay, I want to ask you, since you you have chronic illness, what are you doing in the downtime when you are struggling? Are you sleeping? Are you laying down and not doing anything? Are you doom scrolling? Are you watching TV? As somebody like? Because I blew out two of the discs in my back and fucked myself up pretty bad a couple years ago, and I still managed to do a whole lot of life stuff instead of allowing it to knock me completely out of the game. I've had other medical issues that has has fucked me up pretty bad, but I'm not chronically ill or terminally ill. There's a difference in those things. But I use my downtime in ways that's going to benefit my life. And if you know that these things are an issue for you and you're not trying to find ways to improve, and you're just accepting that this is what is, you're choosing that life. And I'm not saying you're choosing the chronic illness. I have to be very clear about that. I'm saying that you're choosing to doom scroll instead of doing things that's going to make your mind better or find ways to understand love languages. Right, if you spent six hours doom scrolling because you were sick, you could have read a thirty minute article on the love languages and taking the quiz or taking a personality test or started learning, you know, how to make money online doing very little work or whatever whatever, whatever, Like, there's always time in your day that you can be utilizing differently to increase your overall standing in life.
Speaker 2: Just something to ponder.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I yeah, in my like when i'm I call them flare ups, but I have especially currently it. So we're in Texas and of course summer is a very hot. This whole week has been over one hundred and ten degrees like the full week, and it's been causing seizures for the last almost month now. In my downtime in between seizures, when I'm actually you know, out of it, I tend to focus on doing things that help me bring back my motor skills a little faster, because my seizures really affect that. I've been reading books on like any like certain sort of things I can do to help lesson seizures, natural medications, things like that. I've read a few articles on love languages, but I just I still don't understand them, Like I just don't. I'm so I don't know how to explain it, but they just don't quite make that much sense to me.
Speaker 4: We we have an entire playlist. We broke those down really well, so you can just watch them. It'll make it easier. If it's one hundred and ten degrees outside, why in the fuck are you going outside?
Speaker 2: Ever?
Speaker 5: We're I'm currently in the pasmetology school. But yeah, with that heat during the highest points of the day, which is like almost ten hours here, I'm pretty much can't do anything. Can't drive, can't really walk too far. I have to like lean against our wall and Thankfully, my husband works night shifts so he's not out in the very heat of the day for the most part, but that, along with my diabetes, has been causing a lot of issues health wise, so it's been the balancing act there has been really hard, especially with when I was having back to back seizures. I was losing time because they were so close together. But thankfully, my husband's always been great with my health issues, so he keeps me very grounded. But it's definitely something I'm still working on and I try to be better, but it's it's a little hard to manage trying to do something productive in those moments depending on what's going on.
Speaker 6: So I'm going to ask the first thing that comes to my mind, and that is, do you feel like you have unreal, unreal, realistic expectations of you.
Speaker 3: And and the body that you live in?
Speaker 6: Right? And I ask that because I don't. I have my own issues right, not to the extent that you do. And I know that I put too much on me and I have to take a step back and be like, Okay, it's okay that I can't do this. My body is limited, and I have to accept that I'm gonna leave it at that. Now, I'm gonna let you answer.
Speaker 5: Chris, did you want to say something before I answered her? Or do you want me to answer first?
Speaker 4: No, because I think the things that I'm gonna say is gonna it's not gonna go over well with the internet. So I'm gonna wait until you answer, and then if I feel like I need to say it I want to say, I'll say it. Otherwise I'm just gonna stay silent.
Speaker 5: Well, I always appreciate your honesty and your podcast, so I'm gonna start with that. But I definitely need to hold myself to higher expectations. I feel like, mainly because between his mother and my mother, they have put these crazy expectations on me that I should be doing all these things that I currently cannot do. And I'm in the process of like rewiring my brain to remember that their words do not have to be the way that I hold myself. I don't have to have to live up to that expectation because it's not accurate anymore because I'm not necessarily with his mom, but my mom, I've grown and changed so much since I was living in her house at sixteen.
Speaker 4: How old are you guys? You've been together for four years. You were living at sixteen. I'm guessing you guys are twenty twenty.
Speaker 5: One, A little off. I'm twenty eight and he is thirty.
Speaker 2: So wait a minute.
Speaker 4: You were living at his parents when you were sixteen years old, and you guys have only been together for four I.
Speaker 5: Was living with my mom at sixteen.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I miss I missed a lot since I lived with gotcha, Okay, I misunderstood. I thought it was his mom. I was like, wait a minute, how on the fuck?
Speaker 5: Yeah, sorry, that was kind of my bad.
Speaker 4: Okay, I am gonna say what I was gonna say. This is not an insult to people.
Speaker 8: Guys.
Speaker 4: You have to learn to adapt and overcome. I know people who are paraplegics nothing from the neck down, like they got to blow into a straw to get around, and they found ways to still enjoy their life. I understand that you've got medical conditions and all of those things. You have to learn to like adapt your life to your situation and not try to live to the expectations of others. It would be very unrealistic for me to contact my boy Rob and be like, bro, I know you're in a wheelchair, but I expect you to run a marathon.
Speaker 2: Let's go right, it's not even that's not even a thing.
Speaker 4: But I also don't expect him to sit around and feel sorry for himself either. So, like if I reached out to him and I'm like, how are you doing today and he's like, oh, you know, I'm fucking depressed, I'm gonna be like, well, what have you done to do something about that? I'm not going to just accept that you're feeling sorry for yourself. And I'm not saying that that's what's going on with you. I'm just using that as a very broad example. If you've got something going on in your life that creates problems, no body's coming to save you. You are on your own to learn to work around and make these things work. And you know, I still stand by what I said earlier with the doing things in your downtime to increase the standing of your life. If you're going to cosmetic school and you're or a cosmetology I don't know if you're going for hair and makeup or nails or d All of the above is okay, but how how realistic is this going to be for a career for you? If you are having a hard time doing dishes. Data entry would be a much better job. Like, there's other options out there for you. It's just the point that I was trying to make is that you know, you have to be realistic with your life and you have to be trying to make things work with what you've got going on versus you know, getting a pointless degree or and I'm not saying it's just pointless. Real shit, you can get that degree in open fucking business and have people working for you and make money. But I just don't want you to.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Time is short and wasting. It doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 4: You have to, like I said, you have to build the life around what you're capable of doing. And there's a whole lot of learning new aspects to be able to do that.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, I get you. I have a business plan. That's the whole reason I entered cosmatology school is so that I can help other disabled people who can't go to like standard salons. That was the whole plan behind it. But we'll see if I'm still at that place in a year.
Speaker 4: Okay, have you this is I'm not going to get into business with you I'm literally just going to ask you this and then I want to move away completely from business. Have you looked at the demographic of people in your area that that would actually cater to, Because if you have a business model that only reaches zero point two five percent of the population of your town, that's not a business model, it's charity. You will never make a living or even be able to provide for yourself, let alone even by your supplies with such a small demographic of people. And it's just something to think about. You don't need to answer the question. This is just for anybody that's trying to start a business plan. If you have not looked into the key demographics of your business and what you're trying to do for your area, you are already starting at a negative and and and you were likely to fail because of it. So you need to look into your key demographics so your customers customers are going to be and then try to figure out how you're going to make that work if you go that route. If you want to talk business shit, you can tag me in the discord anytime and I'll answer the questions.
Speaker 2: This is not what this is for.
Speaker 5: I just I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Going back to the.
Speaker 6: Conversation about mother grandmother boundaries them over bleeding into your guys's life. Right, So we've talked about it's an issue to have other people in your relationship that are not in your relationship. Addie, what what are your wants or your expectations with how your husband conducts himself or sets boundaries going forward?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: What what is going to put this to rest inside of you?
Speaker 2: You mean with his family, right?
Speaker 5: Yeah, with the family that he stops letting them disrespect me when they speak about the way my the way I am, I choose to express myself as well as my health issues.
Speaker 4: Okay, wait, I'm sorry this is now we're having a different conversation than what we had a minute ago. You expressing yourself and your health issues are two different things.
Speaker 2: What was so?
Speaker 5: I mean expressing myself? I mean by like the way I dress, because they're always commenting about how I look, the way my body is things I can't well, I can control the way I look, obviously, but not like I can't control the way my body was built. Okay, kind of seeing as well as my health, those are my main two things that those are topics that are not their business, and I don't feel they should speak disrespectfully me to me about those things in any case.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you for clarifying. That just didn't make sense to me.
Speaker 6: So I'm going to take this a step further, and now I'm going to ask what does that look like? Does that look like him having a conversation with you in the room to them? Is this going to be setting up a list of boundaries and seeing if they adhere to that?
Speaker 5: What does.
Speaker 3: What does that look like? I'm repeating myself at this one.
Speaker 5: I think it would probably I've never experienced it before. This is like my real, first healthy relationship, honestly, but I think it looks like Kim is having that conversation in front of me so that it is clear and everyone is present in that moment, so no one can say, oh, yeah, well he said this and I did this. You know, I don't want any where they can twist it any kind of way to try to get in between us at some point in the future, because I felt like that was a real possibility and having those close those conversations behind closed doors have not changed anything in four years. And then following that, if they keep doing it, setting boundaries and if they can ithre to that limiting contact.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's unrealistic, don't.
Speaker 2: I don't either.
Speaker 4: I am curious have you stood up for yourself in any of this or do you, like, are you waiting on him to do the thing?
Speaker 5: I have spoken up to his mother quite a few times and she always tries to spin it off like it was a joke. Disgusting, But a joke that is disrespectful isn't a joke. It's just a compliment sandwich, if you will, in a sense, but with a fake joke instead.
Speaker 3: It's degrading. That's what that is. Yes, that that is malicious intent.
Speaker 6: That is intentionally going out of your way to bring somebody else down, to feed into a superiority or an ego.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 6: I want to say this before we continue on those moments where she says something in the moment and you guys are in a room together.
Speaker 3: She needs to be corrected immediately.
Speaker 6: This isn't something that we talk about six hours later once we've all dispersed. Families have a really big problem enabling and perpetuating toxic behaviors because they don't want to handle the fallout or the meltdown or whatever. They tiptoe around the most toxic person and it bleeds out because everybody else is miserable because nobody can say something to that person, Right, Hovey, I do view that you are enabling some type of abuse towards your wife and allowing your mother and grandmother to degrade her. This way, there is a level of defense and protection no matter who it's coming from, that that has to happen.
Speaker 3: Do you have anything to say them?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 2: I have two things.
Speaker 4: The people in the chat keep saying that they think this is a culture thing because Hobby's probably got Latin parents. I think I understand that that's the thing, But that's a bullshit excuse. That is justifying behavior based on tradition, and that's accepting generational bullshit.
Speaker 2: The other thing that.
Speaker 4: I wanted to get into with this is that you don't have really okay, how do I word this and make it make sense them? When people say something to you and you feel disrespected, it doesn't always mean that they're being disrespectful. It means that you feel disrespected. Then there's a difference there, And if you feel disrespected, it's okay to acknowledge that, Hey, what you just said came across as and I now feel disrespected and I would appreciate it if you don't do that again. And if they go, well, I was just joking, you can say, well, I understand that's your humor, and I'm telling you that that's not okay with the way that I expect people to treat me. And if you do not, you know, respect the way that I want to be treated, I'm not going to be here. That's the boundary that you set. And if that joke comes across, or they play it off or they try to downplay what's going on, you get up and you fucking leave. And if you're riding passenger princess and can't leave, you go sit in the car until he leaves, and then you guys can have a conversation about why it took so fucking long for him to follow suit. Yeah, there's a whole lot of you treat people how to treat or you train people how to treat you, and when you allow things to continue long term, you everybody knows how far they can push your buttons, yes, and when you allow those buttons to continuously get pushed that you have to have a very extreme reaction before they stop because they know that they can get away with shit.
Speaker 2: You can.
Speaker 4: You can be disrespected by something that someone said or did that was not disrespectful at all, and it is totally okay to feel that way. You should figure out why you feel that way. That's things that you journal about, meditate and pray about whatever it is that you need to do to figure that shit out on your own. But you don't have to tolerate it. And that's one of the biggest lessons that people need to learn. When you learn to love yourself and you have like an adherent self worth, there's a very different mindset from allowing somebody to be disrespectful and tolerating somebody being disrespectful. And I'm not saying you needed to hoot and holler and jump and puff fucking chest out and smack tables over and be that. There's no reason for any of that shit. There's so much more power in being like, well, I've overstayed my welcome. You guys have a good day, and you fucking walk out the room. You don't even have to wait for a goodbye. Real shit in business, there have been multiple times where I have said what I've needed to said say, and I have gotten up and I have left.
Speaker 3: It's so hot.
Speaker 4: Every time I have done that, I've gotten a phone call within forty five minutes from the people that I walked out on and being like, hey, did we offend you?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: Are you okay? You left in a hurry? Is everything all right? And I'm like, no, I made my fucking point. You guys need to figure out what you're going to do now, and that's the end of the discussion. It's almost manipulative, but it's letting people know where I am at and the power that I hold in my life. I'm not going to be a doormat for fucking anyone. So this is as much as it's on him to conduct himself with his family members, and you guys work together as a unit, you know, one flesh in your marriage to make sure that the marriage is sacred.
Speaker 2: Did you see what she just did? Okay?
Speaker 4: It's also on you to make sure that you love yourself and that the people around you know that you love yourself and you're not going to accept less than from anyone.
Speaker 5: Do you balance that in not overstepping my baland is his wife to his family but I have already personally had these conversations with my family because one person made one disrespectful comment. I was like, look that happens again, and we won't ever come back. That's that's my man, that's my husband. I we're one soul now, and I just how do I find the balance between those two things.
Speaker 4: Ain't no balance. There's no balance there. I don't know what your vowels look like. Marriage is a very sacred thing between two people, and not everybody does the typical Bible valves. I don't know what they look like. But when you say I do, when you make a covenant between the two of you, and if you've got guide involved, there's a three way agreement that's there, that we are one flesh now and that this family supersedes everything else. Your marriage is the most important family aspect that you have, and everything around your marriage is secondary, tritiary, like it just continues.
Speaker 2: To go on and on and on.
Speaker 4: I understand that there's blood ties there, and there's a whole lot of well, they raised me and we're all of these things. I am a very firm believer that your marriage, your spouse is the number one priority above all things in your life, including you, and when you treat each other like they are the most important thing above everything else, and the marriage is the most important thing, everything else falls into place because you're not living from a place of selfishness and you're not worried about other people's feelings. In that aspect, this is not a matter of I'm not trying to hurt your feelings. This is a matter of my marriage. It matters more than your fucking feelings does real shit, Mom, Grandma, You're gonna die one day and I love you, and I hate that I just said that, but that's the truth of it, and so are we. But I have a longer time with my wife, God willing, then you guys got left on this earth.
Speaker 3: Your wife is gonna get so much more than you than your mother ever did.
Speaker 4: Right, I'm trying to to enjoy every moment with this person that I have committed myself to for the rest of my life. There's I don't think that people view marriage as such a sacred thing anymore. It's just the next part of the evolution of a relationship. And like I was going to ask them where they put their marriage and like how that's prioritized but I mean it sounds like you got it down under control. Have you gone back to that relative's house since you laid that out?
Speaker 5: So when I laid it, it was my my grandmother on my mom's side, and she has not made any derogatory comments about my husband. She's she's done everything I requested, thankfully. So it's been a pretty I guess, smooth transition in a sense that one comment happened and nothing has happened since.
Speaker 2: Good good.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 6: That that is the that's the proof that you stand up for yourself and people will fall in line if they actually want to be in your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I also it makes me curious about what her marriage look like like. Did she have a long, healthy marriage, because if so, she understood that you stand on business right right, there's a whole lot of you don't want to ever try to make me choose between you and my woman. I don't give a fuck who you are, real shit, I understand the whole concept of God in source, but like I have, I made a vow. Yeah, and like there's not going to be anything that's going to come between that because this is this is us.
Speaker 3: So I have a question, do.
Speaker 6: Mom and Grandma hobbies side only act this way towards you, or is this a prominent pattern with them towards everybody within the family unit.
Speaker 5: I feel like I'm very singled out. But there are like cousin cousins, right, that's what ari right, Okay, cousins that kind of like his cousins and like his mom, don't quite get along. And then like some of the the his theas don't quite like his siblings, like those types of like they all talk a little bit of shit about each other, But I don't ever really see personal attacks like I feel.
Speaker 4: Happened to me was because it's personal to you and and the other way around.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 6: So Now I have a question, Hovey, are you an only child or are you the only son?
Speaker 8: I'm actually the third child out of four.
Speaker 5: And he's got two other brothers.
Speaker 6: Okay, so now have another question for you. You you have dealt with your mom the longest she's your mother. Has she always had these tendencies? Do you feel like this has been a thing and maybe past relationships and maybe y yeah, maybe like high school relationships when you started dating that she would be aggressive towards your women, or is it just with your wife.
Speaker 7: Uh actually only well, no, what the first girlfriend? It was it because she I'm not trying to be like very you know, I'm want.
Speaker 3: To say there's no worry of anything.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna be straightforward. When oh, my first one, she.
Speaker 7: Was very like aggressive and suicidal to the point where, yeah, she was trying to be manipulive that I can't speak.
Speaker 5: She was trying to be manipulive. She would use suicide to make him stay or to make it do certain things that she wanted him to do.
Speaker 2: Adie, you just did it again.
Speaker 5: No, he he couldn't pronounce the word and he asked me to explain it because he wasn't getting.
Speaker 8: Okay, Okay, I have a I have a major and speech impediment.
Speaker 7: What was born with so like most of the time she'll speak for me on what I need to say, so I can't pronounce certain things correctly, okay, and I bring decides to mumble it.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm gonna for what it's worth, We're able to catch the Bible what you're trying to say. And while we're speaking to you, at least I would rather hear from you than have her talk over you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm a plan to see that. I think that's actually a detriment. If you look at not just your wife, anybody to speak for you, you are never going to gain confidence or or develop beyond where you're at now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but yeah, she was very aggressive, tarred me to the point where I had let her know one day that I was taking a nap and like I was very tired, I was already up for twenty four hours, and she decided to send me a message saying that I wasn't paying enough attention to her.
Speaker 8: So that was the point.
Speaker 7: My mom had saw it and told me, told me straight up that she's not wanting and she doesn't want to see this on my hands because it was about her ending her own life. So I decided to tell the first girlfriend that we were done because of that, And it was something that I did. I had suggested I'm doing myself because after seeing.
Speaker 9: The way my mom looked at me, You're good, all right, The way that my mother had looked at me, and then the way the message had written, now I knew that she was just trying to get more attention than she needed just for her own uh fun out of it?
Speaker 2: Okay, do you got anything on that because I do.
Speaker 6: No that answer I think like maybe ten percent of my question. So if you have something pertained to what was just said, you can do that.
Speaker 2: I'll be real quick.
Speaker 4: Then Okay, this is so good that you were able to see the manipulation happening.
Speaker 2: That's a very good thing.
Speaker 4: But it also gave your mom a power that she didn't have otherwise because she told you to end it and you did. The whole situation that's going on every everything that just transpired, with the manipulation and the talking over and the conversations that we just had, it sounds like there's a lot of giving up your power to other people and it's bleeding into your marriage and a negative polarity because of it. And we can get into that more iph we need to, but I just wanted to point that out, like moms get very possessive over their sons, especially when they have the power to do so there's a very whole I brought you into this world, I can take you out of it kind of thing, and that's it's a very ugly situation for a lot of people.
Speaker 6: But go ahead, So with that, right, the first girlfriend is when like she wasn't super overbearing, but she did give a direction you followed it. So past that, have had you noticed any other tendencies? Like does she overstep into your personal life? Is this something that you've only noticed with your wife? Is this something that has only happened with your wife? Beyond that that first instance with the manic girlfriend, we can say.
Speaker 7: I would say yes, because she has stepped in and she's tried to like tell me how things are supposed to be done.
Speaker 8: But like I've never actually.
Speaker 7: Like accepted what she says because it's my marriage.
Speaker 8: Like yeah, she's my.
Speaker 7: Mother's, but when she gets suppressed to her about what she needs to be done, I really don't.
Speaker 8: I let it be her opinion, not her her voice in it.
Speaker 6: Can you elaborate on that? What do you mean by her opinion versus her voice?
Speaker 7: Like she could make her own statement on how she wants us to uh, how she wants us to live and everything. But all in all, it's like it we're living our own life. You still have your marriage and like like I told her multiple times, Like like I said, I told her behind when it's just me and her, like it it's our life, Like I'll take her I'll listen to her opinion, but I won't actually like fully take it unless it's needed.
Speaker 8: So when we're taking it with a grain of salt.
Speaker 6: Yes, that makes sense. So what I'm taking away from what you're saying is that your mom is just kind of like talking a bunch of hot air and it doesn't really bother you. It's in one year out the other, not a big, big disruption to your life.
Speaker 10: Okay, unless it's unless it's it's something that's really needed, I will take it as advice, but other than that, it would just be opinions.
Speaker 3: So now let me ask you this.
Speaker 6: Do you do you feel like I just don't want to deal with my mom like she's just talking shit. I'm a letter talk shit and then continue off my life.
Speaker 8: Pretty much because as she was saying, as aDNA was saying, she h, my family.
Speaker 7: Has a bunch of problems between cousins, siblings, stuff like that, because I listen to what she tells me and like she does back us up compared to my other cousins. But she won't say it to a Dina because I guess she has a boundary between her and my wife.
Speaker 6: So why do you think that is why do you think your mom is acting this way towards your wife?
Speaker 8: To be honest, I'm not too sure.
Speaker 7: She likes to keep herself like at a certain standing point where she she doesn't want to be too appreciated, but she doesn't want to be too like like controlling.
Speaker 10: I would see, Okay, I don't know the work to put for it.
Speaker 6: I have one more question, and then a husband, if you want to jump in you can. What are the things that you have said to your mom behind the closed door to try and let her know that what she's doing is not okay.
Speaker 7: I've told her that a lot of the stuff that when it comes to like the medical stuff, that yeah, a lot of places aren't trying to help her out, and we're trying different not areas, but like insurances try to work with her because a lot of places apparently she doesn't meet the credentials or the criteria that need it for their support for their insurance.
Speaker 8: And I've told her plenty of times that we're still working on this.
Speaker 7: If I when I move up, we're going to try to go to like a better insurance policy or health policy that way they could help her with the benefits that she needs.
Speaker 3: Okay, I see you over there writing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was trying to think of how to word this on paper, and I think I've got enough written down that I'm not gonna forget it, so it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: You can go.
Speaker 4: So I'm curious, does your mom and grandmother help you guys financially because of ADDIE's illnesses? Or is this a like how does that look for you guys?
Speaker 8: I forgot to mention this before my grandma had passed away years back.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, so she's not obviously not an issue anymore then, No, So then why did that?
Speaker 11: It's more like, since since I didn't know my grandma, my wife didn't know her, I know how she acts and how she is, uh like in the way of seeing how my grandma was.
Speaker 4: Okay, that makes sense why she was brought up and I couldn't figure out where there was a correlation. Okay, So does is your mom helping you guys out financially? Is there any type of transactional things going on in between the two of you?
Speaker 8: So before it was when I was.
Speaker 7: The previous job I had, it was barely covering all her our bills and a lot of the stuff that we needed was mainly.
Speaker 8: For like gas, so that way I could get to work and get.
Speaker 7: Back And that was mainly the biggest thing, was helping us with gas money.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 7: Before that, before I got the job, it was I was laid off of.
Speaker 8: Work because oh, I mean, I'll get to that.
Speaker 7: Before I had, I had lost my job when I was working with Walmart, one of the bigger companies. I was asking around with my families if they could help me out, you know, and I'll do stuff in exchange. A lot of that stuff was just you know, yard work or small uh. Aaron runs with them and they would help us out that way. And that was before I had. Like I said, I had lost my job when she was working, but she still wasn't getting enough money, so it was only enough to get us through.
Speaker 8: Some of my bills.
Speaker 4: Okay, So is that the biggest Is that still happening? And have you paid that debt off? Or was the transactions forgiven as work completed paid?
Speaker 7: So I'm still working off some of the uh the amount that we borrowed from her.
Speaker 8: A lot of the.
Speaker 7: Transactions is only me helping out with yard work on my days off or if she needs she needs someone to go with her to pick up my nephew or my brother from my nephew from school, or my younger brother from work if she doesn't have the time to go get them, or if she's not in the the area. Because she still takes care of my grandpa and because she's the only one doing it, so she'll ask me in return, and in that return, it's paying off some of the debt that we owe her.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, So it's important to not owe people things. So I'm glad that you're actually working to do that. If there's also an honor in being able to be there for your elders, like real shit, there's a lot of respect in that for me, So good on you on that. You also have to understand that you doing the things that you're doing for your elders and being a part of your family the way that you are is it makes you an asset to your family, and a lot of people don't realize that it does give you a little bit of leverage that you otherwise may not have had earlier. When you were talking, you said that that your mom talks about your cousins to you, and she kind of defends you. Guys, to a degree. If somebody gossips to you, they'll gossip about you, and that's important to remember as well. There's a whole lot of everything that's gone on in is call, like there's been a lot of good back and forth and information given, I believe, But I also think that the biggest lesson that the two of you need to have here is a united front about how you're going to conduct yourselves marriage wise. Your mom being somebody that is just a boisterous, hot air breather, and you've experienced that your entire life. That's just who she is, and you have accepted her for that. Your wife has not. So there's got to be a level of when she's giving unwarranted opinions, where she's saying things that your wife may view as disrespectful, even if she's not there, you have to correct that behavior in the moment. Mom, I'm not going to allow you to talk to my wife or about my wife that way. I would appreciate it if you stopped. It's polite. It will start to correct that behavior, and it'll carry you over into the interactions that your wife has real shit. Beyond that, there's not a whole lot of advice that we can give you guys in terms of what's going on in this relationship thing other than you both need to have a united front about the marriage to everyone that's got an opinion, a disrespect, or anything else that goes on. It needs to be the two of you versus the world Robanni and Clyde shit like that's I gotta be honest. At this point, I feel like we've exhausted the parent thing quite a bit and I don't want to keep harping on it. We've been an hour, and if there's other things I want to get into, get into them. I know that you were making notes though, so if you've got things to run through, let's run through that and then let's move to the next topic.
Speaker 6: The last thing that I want to say to that is correcting your mom doesn't, like we said in the beginning, doesn't have to be this volcano eruption, destructive, life ending conversation. It is a gentle correction of mom, don't talk about my wife that way, and then continuing onward if she tries to pick a fight, Mom, I'm not mad at you, I'm not yelling at you. I'm just gently letting you know that we've talked about this, and I don't want you talk about my wife like that.
Speaker 3: I love you.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna go finish doing the yard stuff, and if you're frustrated, we can talk about it when you're.
Speaker 3: Not frustrated anymore.
Speaker 2: There it is, and.
Speaker 3: Then go do your thing.
Speaker 6: People who gossip and shit talk and nitpick and pull people apart are not okay people. There is some deep rooted darkness that that stems from. And your corrections of your mom might be the light that needs to be shine on these things for her to recognize that she is being a detriment to her family as a matriarch.
Speaker 4: There you go, well said, and the matriarch word good timing for that. I normally don't like those terms. Yeah yeah, good on that, baby. What else do you guys got? You guys have other things that you want to try to get through.
Speaker 5: My other bakes and it's just really communication on how he's feeling, and like him talking to me about those emotions so I can understand because he I feel he really struggles to tell me, hey, I'm mad because you did this, or I'm I'm he lets them like he just pushes everything down until he's he explodes at some point in some way, whether that's having a panic attack or having a nightmare or whatever the case, and I just worry about his mental health because of it. And I don't know how else I can help, because I'm not a man, and I know that that's a different experience than what I've been through.
Speaker 3: So real shit.
Speaker 6: After an hour and a half talking about his mom, I can see why he's like that.
Speaker 2: Yep, a whole lot of training.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's not just his mom.
Speaker 4: It's the way that you guys interact with each other. Earlier when I was like, I want to hear you speak, regardless of you mumbling or or not having the words, Like, there's a power in your voice. When you guys give your power away and let other people speak for you, you become recluse. Like you know that, you catch the vibe, you get what I'm saying, and you just kind of quit talking.
Speaker 2: Well, that's it's not the same thing.
Speaker 3: You're shutting yourself down.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 4: We have conversations on the podcast all the time about couples not having honest conversations. You guys will have a conversation and you will beat around the bush and you will put so much sugar on the thing that it's just sweet now, and it's not the fucking bitterness that needs to be had. And I'm not saying you need to fight, but you need to be fucking honest with each other. And if you're not okay with the way things were said, or you don't feel good when somebody goes to bed without the other person or whatever whatever whatever, it needs to be like, Hey, I don't like that. Yeah, what do you mean? You don't like that? This happened. This is how I feel, and I don't like the way I feel right now. Most people aren't told that that's okay. We're told to suck at the fuck up, shut ups down, pick yourself up by the bootstraps, get to work.
Speaker 2: Men, don't cry. We don't want to hear it.
Speaker 4: Nobody's got time for your nonsense. Boohoo, you fucking sissy. And that's that's the life of man. Whereas women are told to express themselves and to communicate and have effective communication because you know, you, guys are allowed to cry and that's that's a weapon, and that's a tool, and it's all these other things and we're not allowed doing of that. Shit, and if we get upset, now we're an asshole or a narcissist or an aggressor, so like we have to tiptoe around things. It's very different for a man's emotional state, mental state than it is for a woman because of the way that we're raised. There's a whole lot of you train your person on how to deal with you. And the first time I was emotional with my wife, or I cried, or you know whatever, the first time she saw me in pain, whatever, whatever, whatever, Every single one of those firsts are an opportunity. Were an opportunity for her to show me how I am able to be with her. If I was vulnerable, I hate that term, it's not the right term. But if I was in a moment of weakness and she got exposed to that, her reaction to that thing tells me exactly how I am. If I feel like I'm being looked down on, if it feels like she sees me as less than you're not getting a side of me anymore, I'll fucking break my femur bone and I'm gonna walk that shit off and go cry in the car away from everyone, because you show me that you're gonna look down on me or think less of me because of these things, every one of those instances. It only takes once for that to change the way that you conduct yourself in your marriage or around other people, especially with men. So you have to train him to be And training is such a bad word. It's like we're dogs. But the truth of the matter is everything in life is training. We're animals, right. Learning to speak is training.
Speaker 3: Body training.
Speaker 4: Yes, So when things come up and he is not having a good day, you saying, hey, I can tell you're mad. Well, what if he's not and you just think that because you're feeling insecure in the moment. Now you've assumed some shit. You've told him how he's felt, because he's not used to speaking for himself. I'm assuming obviously this is hypothetical. He doesn't correct it. He's just like, no, I'm okay, And that's the end of the conversation. I'm not mad, I promise I'm that mad. Well, what about the depression or the sadness, or the fucked up conversation you have with the boss or maybe the mom and him got into an argument earlier, Like there's a whole lot of you need to probe and not assume. Hey, I don't feel like the energy in the house is right right now, what's going on? Talk to me, you know, be available and shut the fuck up, ask the question and sit there for forty five minutes and complete silence if you have to, and if it doesn't get answered, and be like, hey, I know you've been pondering it. You talk about it, yeah, And if he says no, then you just got to leave it alone. But you have to be able to give the opportunity for that habitual pattern of life to be broken. And it started with mom and it's continued so like, And this isn't a fuck you to either one of you, guys. I'm not being nasty. This is just simple behavioral modifications that's going to improve your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I have a question for Hovey. Are you well versed in your emotions? Can you identify that bothered me? I don't like the way that that felt fill in the blank or do you like, oh, I don't like that. And then just kind of like shoven under a rugger into a bottle kind of folds are your emotions and inconvenience to you, very your emotions will never go away and until you learn how to interpret right, because our emotions are not just something that we feel that is a signal from our body telling our minds that something is not okay. A boundary was crossed. You let yourself dip below your standard or expectations for yourself fill in the blank for whatever causes the negative emotion. You continuing to ignore your emotions inside of you because you don't have the time to deal with them, or you have life shit going on, or you have to take care of your woman and I can't handle this right now. You are neglecting yourself and you're training your nervous system that you cannot be trust with you, and in turn, you're becoming your own abuser. You got to sit with your emotions, man. You have to identify the things that don't sit right with your soul, the things that bother you, and you need to communicate it.
Speaker 3: And if your.
Speaker 6: Wife takes it poorly, or your coworker takes it poorly, or whomever this this is coming up with, their reaction is not your problem.
Speaker 2: And your delivery is Yes.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: One of the best things about being married to somebody is that they actually give a fuck about you and you have a woman here who is looking at you and saying, I want to help you heal all of the shit that's broken inside of you because you deserve so much more out of life. And by ignoring that, not only are you suppressing something for her yourself, you are denying her the opportunity to spread love and joy. And if you guys have faith or religion, that that's the whole fucking point. We're here to be loving like Christ was, to share and serve and be of service. Now, let me ask you this. Do you feel like you're a burden to your wife if you are emotional?
Speaker 8: Sometimes? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Is that because of the way that she responds to you? Or is that just the way you've you've been taught that men are to women if they're emotional.
Speaker 4: Be honest, Yeah, be honest, Yeah, honestly, more of that's how we're taught.
Speaker 8: Less like slight amount of the way she is.
Speaker 6: Okay, So just that slight amount we can say it's point zero zero two percent means they're still work to be done right. So what does that look like when you try to bring something right? And this is not an attack on your woman, Addie, This is not putting you in a bad light. This is the feedback to get what you want out of your man. So that point zero zero two percent, what does that feel like for you when that does happen?
Speaker 3: And what is it that she does?
Speaker 12: So a lot of times it's well, as you guys can see as the interrupting, it's when I can't like really want to express myself.
Speaker 8: So when she.
Speaker 7: When she like talks over me, it just makes me shut down even more than.
Speaker 8: What I was taught Addie.
Speaker 4: This isn't a feel bad moment. This is data collection. These are the honest conversations when we do check ins that we want real shit. The fact that he just said that in front of you, live, in front of the people that we're on and this is going to be on a podcast. This shows that he trusts you and this is an opportunity for you to grow in love. You're fucking man like this. These are the conversations that you have at bedtime where you think the person for being honest with you, even though it's suck to hear. This is how we fucking improve guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so with you, I agree with that. I didn't realize you were already speaking. It's there's a little bit of lag. My bad, uh, Peaches, But I am sorry if I ever made you feel like you could not tell me any hard truth. It's just like when we were having issues a year and a half ago. I need to know the whole truth. I need all of the information so that I can help to the fullest of my ability, because if something is left out, even if it hurts my feelings and I have to sit there for a minute and think about my actions, that's something I have to do because it's gonna help our marriage, and it's gonna help you. And that's my job as your wife and helping you to identify those emotions. And even when it's hard to tell me, I need you to tell me anyways, and realize that no matter what you tell me, at the end of the day, you're still my person. It's not gonna change.
Speaker 6: So with all of that being said, I'm assuming that something that's been said before because of the conviction that's been said with I'm gonna read this first because I wrote down something so Addie, as a woman, you need to understand what he needs from you emotionally. So him saying now that the interruptions are a problem. He just voiced what he needs from you emotionally in order to step into what you want him to be or how open you want him to be as a husband.
Speaker 3: I love everything that you just said.
Speaker 6: I agree with everything you just said as a wife at the end of the day, all of it. But that also goes hand in hand with when he does bring it up in the moment, you have to monitor your reaction versus your response. So if you're saying that he needs to bring these things to you and fill in the blank, you also have to accept it in the moment and not try to be defensive or try to backtrack or over explain to control the narrative. I'm not saying that you do do that, but to plant the seed of you and anybody who may be listening to that hovey with everything that Addie just said, do you believe that to be true? Because right now we're calm. This is a calm conversation. Emotions are nice in a homeostasis when there are elevated emotions and our IQ drops. This is scientifically proven. When we are not in our emotional homeostasis and we start getting elevated, our URQ begins to drop.
Speaker 3: Because our energy is allocated elsewhere.
Speaker 6: Do you feel like that is an accurate statement and that you can voice in the moment, like, hey, you've spoken over me. Can I finish my sentence? Whatever the case may be.
Speaker 7: Pretty much, yeah, Because no matter what, even if we'll get into an argument, I'm never gonna tell her that I don't love her. It maybe be a time when she's out of it that I'll still say I love you, Or there'll be a time when before I go to work that if she's still mad at me and we're not talking much, I will still say I love you.
Speaker 2: Good good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I'm going to rephrase my question a little bit. No, I'm not going to rephrase my question. I'm gonna ask a different question than the husband. You can take the floor in moments where you are trying to express how you're feeling and she interrupts or she we can say bulldozer or whatever the case may be, or starts to speak for you. Have you ever said, yeah, you just interrupted me, let me finish my sentence. That's not my thought, whatever the case may be, I have Okay, And how does that usually play out?
Speaker 7: Usually it turns out turns into one of us being angry over one another.
Speaker 6: So everything that Addie just said about you need to come to me and tell me the truth and all those kinds of things and heightened emotions that still may be true, but that's not what's happening. It sounds like there is a punishment for the honesty because it's taken personally, and that's something that has to be resolved or the things that you just said are not true. There is no action follow up behind it.
Speaker 3: Y'all. When we are in.
Speaker 6: Conversations and we were like, hey, I don't like that. You need to take a step back and not take it personally and recognize that your person is trying to fix the relationship. Because if this is not something that's addressed, resentment's gonna build.
Speaker 3: You need you don't need.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 6: I would highly recommend a safe word for conversations. So low quat, Zucchini, Teddy Bear, I just you just interrupted me. Addie can say, I like I'm not being heard. I feel like you're shutting down emotionally, whatever the case.
Speaker 3: Movie.
Speaker 6: Once Zucchini has said, it is understood that there was a boundary crossed within the relationship and we are now going to take a forty five minute break to calm back down before we come back and revisit and try to solve what's going on. Resolution will not be found in conflict.
Speaker 5: I've heard you say that before, and I really agree with it. But I think something that I need to mention and that maybe my husband isn't realizing, is that if he thinks back to less than six months ago, I was when we were, not that we've had many arguments. As of recently, the last few I would say three ish months, maybe maybe a little longer. We haven't had really many any disagreements. The only time I would interrub would be at by accident and then immediately apologize. But like, hey, I have this thought in the middle of a conversation. So I've really been working on interrupting and listening to what many times that I would say that is not accurate is if he immediate, if he if something he says triggers my trauma, trauma from paths where it kind of like takes me out for a minute and I just kind of zone out. That's the only time sometimes where I still struggle and I interrupt or like I freak out a little bit. It just takes me a minute to kind of come back and be like, hey, no, we're healthy, we're good, this is my husband, we're safe, we're cool, you know, whatever the case. But just in the last I would say, you know, ninety days, interrupting has been it's been so much less than it was been before I've been actively working on this, and I feel like he's using the interruption as a crutch to say that he can't express his emotions. But I've had him at night where he had a nightmare or he's just in he's crying in in sleep, shaking, having a panic attack, and I'm sitting there with him until he comes out of it, just like he does to me. And now these attacks have not happened, thankfully, in a while. But I find that those happen the most when he's hiding his emotions and I try to probe and I just find he shuts down more and I can't I can't find a way over that wall. And that's where my struggle has been because I've been using these tips from your previous podcast and stuff in terms of communication skills, and I'm just I'm not sure what I should do next because those probing questions not automatically assuming his emotion. I don't assume he's angry, mad, happy, sad anything. I'm specific, try to be as specific as possible, ask how he's feeling things like that, and I still find he won't communicate with me in less about his emotions unless he's he's bubbling over already, and I want that part to stop happening and to heal that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: You want to go or you want me to. Okay, I have a whole lot to touch on before we go any further. You said a whole lot of things that I had wrote down, and I love that we're on the same page of a lot of shit. Yeah, you covered a whole lot of things that I don't have to cover, but I still want to cover some things. The other thing that I want to get into is I want to remind you guys again that this is very healthy communication right now, Like you're learning and you're evolving, and I know I can hear it in your voice that there is a little bit of tension happening right now. You need to take a breath and let that shit go, because this is healthy growth. This is how we learn to communicate effectively. You said that you probe, and you do the tips that we do, but what you're failing to do is properly communicate. Negated everything that he said, you then removed his reality. If we were standing in a field together and you were convinced that a flower there was pink, and I was like, nope, it's a yellow magenta. It's not even real color, just making it up, and you're like, nope, it's pink, and I tried to convince you otherwise. Your reality is that that fucking flower is pink, and if I see it as yellow magenta, it's yellow magenta. It doesn't mean that you're right. It doesn't mean that I'm right. It means that we are viewing the world differently. He told you how he feels you took the last four years condensed into what's happening in the past ninety days, as if that negates the other three years and seven months of your life, three years and nine months of your life, and that things are just better now, regardless of real shit. I'm glad that you've been making efforts. I'm glad that you two are communicated and trying. But just because things are different now doesn't mean that the expressions the feelings, the built up resentment, the insecurities, the training that has been there is going to go away. Ivy was trained by a dog trainer three or four years ago, and she still does all of the commands that she was given, even though she doesn't have to live that life anymore, because that's been instilled in her. I have a whole lot of notes, so I'm gonna just run through them real quick. I was going to ask her to repeat back what he said, and then you did it like four times, and I was like, oh, there goes that one. So I want you guys to start repeating back to each other what was said. The next thing is is you have to fucking let him talk. Yes, there needs to be a safe word is coming, So we're gonna just jump into that as well. Like you said, there needs to be a safe word. There needs to be an indicator of I'm done. There needs to be a pause if she starts talking and you're not finished yet, or you still have thoughts and she's going you can raise your hand. Something needs to be indicated that you're not finished yet, so that she can write things down what she needs to address and then actively listen to what's going on, repeat things back, make sure that you understand what's going on, and fucking hear each other. Your perception is your reality. His perception is his reality. The way that you view the world is not going to be identical. Ever, your live life experiences, your past traumas and triggers, past relationships, live life experiences are going to dictate the way that you view things. Stop saying but when you were thank you for telling me this is going to make a relationship better, blah blah blah blah blah. But everything that you said before that butt was negated because you had something else that had nothing to do with anything.
Speaker 2: So you you.
Speaker 4: Wrote your repair. It was very very very nicely written on the board. It was underlined, exclamation points, grammar, and shit was perfect and you said button. You just wipe that shit right the fuck off. So it didn't even have time to sit before you started going on with the other things. If somebody comes to you and says, hey, I don't like the way this makes me feel, or this is what I'm going through, there's a lot of people who have the urge to go well, that's not what I meant, or I was only intending this or I wanted to do that. Blah blah blah blah blah. The only thing that you need to say. And this is so fucking hard. It was a lot for us. It's still hard for me because I want to fix everything. Okay, this is what I'm hearing. That sounds like it really sucks, and I'm sorry that I did that to you. I'll work on it, and then new journal about it, and you think about what you want to say. In a couple of days, come back and be like, hey, I've been really thinking about what you said, and I can see this in da da da da da, and then you can have a discussion about it.
Speaker 2: But in the moment, they don't need that shit. They need to be heard.
Speaker 4: And if if somebody is coming to you with a problem and they are not able to get that problem out and they're not able to be heard, you're showing them that you're not, for a lack of a better turn, you don't care right Like, they're not able to fully express what's going on, You're not safe. I covered everything else. I did all of that in one shot. Do you have anything you write notes too?
Speaker 6: I have a bunch of notes, but the one that's most important to me is hobby. Do you agree with the perspective that over the last ninety days her interrupting you has gotten better?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 4: Okay, do you acknowledge that in the moment, it's like, hey, I appreciate these things. Words of affirmations are a big deal. It's like giving a dog a treat.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so real quick. Going back to one of the other topics, the.
Speaker 7: Me treating her more than she wants to treat me, I haven't really been feeling myself as been like I want her to get me something nice.
Speaker 8: Is more of I want her.
Speaker 7: I want to get her stuff so that way, you know, it makes me feel better that I'm giving her what she needs.
Speaker 3: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the duty of man.
Speaker 6: And right tying that into the love languages, you are not a gift receiver, You're a gift giver, and that's my husband.
Speaker 3: Yep, real shit.
Speaker 6: In the beginning, there was a level of I need to give my husband gifts in return so that he can see that I appreciate and value him just as much as he values me.
Speaker 3: But you hated that shit. I remember once I got you two T shirts.
Speaker 7: I even wrote her a whole letter while I was at work because I had nothing to do for about six hours on like the whole reason of it, but like it, it's mainly of just seeing her smile that's been making me feel better.
Speaker 8: And I tell her that, like I don't need much.
Speaker 7: The only thing I need is like stuff that is just like a monthly paint, subscription to things, just a soda. That's literally all my me receiving a gift the nicest of I go big for her when I can. Other than that, it's like I don't want to chew to go big, just you know, I just need. I just want this small thing.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: What's this small thing that you want from her?
Speaker 7: Uh So I'm a big gamer. So right now, it's just the subscription for my monthly that that's literally the small gift.
Speaker 8: That I accept.
Speaker 6: I don't want to deviate too far away from the conversations, right, like the the conversation conversation, but to go into right, you're not a gift receiving guy, So what are other ways that you would feel comfortable with your wife showing her love and devotion and dedication appreciation towards you. Does that look like dedicating two hours every Friday and cuddling on the couch and watching movies.
Speaker 3: You know, quality time?
Speaker 6: Does that look like putting the phones away for an hour every Friday night and sitting down having super philosophical conversations.
Speaker 3: What are other ways that she can express her love to you?
Speaker 7: So the way we used to do it was I would have the weekends off, So Saturdays would usually be the days that I would take my time just to you know, relax myself from work, and Sundays would be the days that we spend the whole day together. After I've done laundry, after I made uspooon, we would sit down.
Speaker 8: We would watch NonStop Enemy.
Speaker 6: So you guys just have a bunch of quality time together. Yeah, how has that changed?
Speaker 7: Well, it's gonna be different now because it's not gonna be weekends like we want it.
Speaker 8: But because I had I got a promotion in my job. So now it's one week I will have the weekends, one week I won't.
Speaker 7: So there's still there's gonna be more quality time with her on certain days.
Speaker 8: That way, you know, we're more with each other than we need to be.
Speaker 5: I think my issue is is that lately, when we've been having our quality time. I feel like it's only like if you will partial quality time because we're watching Naruto the animates to Prudence specifically, we're in the fourth War. It's magical, but we'll be in that arc and he's on his phone while we're watching the show, and it just to me, it doesn't feel as much as quality time because he's he's not putting his like full effort I guess into it. Whereas I'm like fully watching the show. I'm not on my phone. I'm just you know, enjoying it. And I feel like that's where I feel like it's enough because during that time, I feel like he's distracted.
Speaker 6: So this is my husband and I yep, my husband could be totally engrossed in a show and he's going to have his phone in his hand, playing a game, or checking emails or looking at business TikTok, whatever the case may be. My my husband And this is just from my perspective. I am not speaking for his existence as his wife. This is how I right, because as humans we fill in the blanks and we fill in with stories. The way that I view my husband and how his brain works, he has lived a life of distraction and you know, through his childhood into adulthood, there was a level of security in having multiple things going on at once. You my husband gets very uncomfortable not having his hands doing something, so there is a level of.
Speaker 3: Chaos.
Speaker 6: We can say that he has become adapted to in his life that if he is just sitting there with one type of stimulation, it could increase his anxiety, it could induce spiraling all of these other kinds of things. So I totally get the perspective of he's disengaged right now. My husband and I've had multiple conversations of I feel like you are not spending quality time with me because you're engaged on your phone versus watching TV. And it's taken those multiple conversations and me being open to perspective and different life experiences to understand that this is just how my husband's brain works. Very rarely does he miss what's going on in the show. There are times where he will be on his phone and I am actively watching because I don't have my phone in my hand, and I will still have to ask him what just happened, and he can fill me in almost to a tea because he is more engaged because of what is going on with his hands, he can listen better versus what's going on in his mind.
Speaker 2: I love you, God, I fucking love you so much.
Speaker 3: I love you too.
Speaker 4: There's a whole lot about everything that you said that I'm not even gonna get into it because a lot of it it is personal, and that's our thing. You're both engaged in something other than each other, and that's how I view that. If you're very immersed in the TV show and he's immersed in his phone, and you guys are in the same room, if he's able to still know what's going on in the show, you are still doing that thing together. We get so caught up in wanting people to do what we want them to do and live the way we want them to live that we fail to realize that there are different enjoyments and different things. I could not be doing the same thing. You could be playing video games, and I could be laying on the couch next to you, and I'm having the time of my fucking life because we're in the same room together, being lazy and enjoying ourselves. That matters more to me than watching a TV show I'm only half interested in. And that's part of being married. You're not gonna be fully engaged in a show all the time. We watch Fire Country, and like, after season one of that show, I lost all interest, and like I still watched it because you enjoyed it, loved the final season or the final episode of the last season. I thoroughly enjoyed that shit, But like, I watched that show because you want to watch that show. So if I'm playing my game in Discord and talking to Jeff about work while watching that show, my brain can do all of that at the same time. I also know that my brain doesn't operate away the way a lot of people do, and like I don't. I don't do well with downtime period. So again, I feel really seen right now. There's been a lot of times in our relationship where we've looked at each other and be like, I fucking see you, and like we always know what that means. That was a very good moment for me, just knowing I really appreciate you, I love you, I love you well.
Speaker 5: Chris, apparently you're Sime's twin to my husband, because he feels the exact same way about Fire Country, and this whole time he's just been nodding, it says ted rapidly, yes at me.
Speaker 6: So, so was that about fire Country or are you relating to the way that my husband experiences life.
Speaker 5: That way.
Speaker 7: In both ways because like, well, watching our hotel and she'll be getting mad at me that I'm on my phone. I was like, I'm paying more attention than you because you've asked me three questions about this same episode and we're already on the next episode it and I'm playing my game on my phone while still paying attention because I've learned to multitask when it comes to.
Speaker 8: Playing a game and watching videos at the same time.
Speaker 4: There are a lot of people out there that tell that will tell you that there's no such thing as multitasking and that if you're multitasking, you're not actually giving your full attention to something. And there's a truth in that, But there's also the truth in understanding that some of us need to fidget and move and walk and do in order to retain what's happening because it's not happening fast enough, Like I have to listen to audiobooks super fucking quick otherwise I can't do it. And real shit, like I'm watching tiktoks at two and three times a speed now because I don't me too with my YouTube video, I just can't. So like, I need you to get to the fucking point. If I'm watching a YouTube video because I need to learn about one thing and it's forty five minutes and I'm looking for six seconds of information, I'm not watching that.
Speaker 8: Get you'll skip through.
Speaker 4: Yes, we'll kind of life to live homie, right, Yeah, there's a whole lot of a whole lot of my life needs to be tailored to the way that my brain works. And unfortunately the rest of the world doesn't work like my brain, so I have to navigate it to make it do what I want it to do.
Speaker 3: Adapt it.
Speaker 4: But I read, play video games, and listen to music or YouTube videos at the same time, So like I'll have magic the gathering open while researching a document, reading the law of one, and watching YouTube shit at the same time. It's it's wild and I can retain all three.
Speaker 2: Of it at the same time. Do you have anything else you guys want to get into.
Speaker 4: I think at this point we've covered a whole lot, and I don't want to overinundate you guys with information I feel like this has been a very productive call.
Speaker 5: Yes, I think, yeah, pretty much everything honestly. Oh, I do have one question. Can you give me a few questions that I can ask to not necessarily hell, but kind of break the eyes when he's having an emotion and I can see something's going on but he's not communicating yet. You just said to pro but I just I don't feel like maybe I'm asking the right questions.
Speaker 4: Well, so, first of all, you need to stop doing this about you, you having this need to figure out what's going on and try to have him communicate with you as a youth thing. If he's not coming to you to talk to you about what's going on, he either hasn't processed it yet or he's not ready to talk about it. There's a whole lot of times in life where Peaches will come to me and ask me a question and I'll be like, we'll get there, or I'll be like, I'm not ready to have that discussion yet. Let me finish working it through my head so that we can have an intelligent conversation. Or she gets to the exact opposite and I just word vomit all the fuck over her and then afterwards, I'm like, did that even make sense? And she's like yep, And that's the end of it because I got it out and we're good. It would be better for you to if you think he's not okay, just simply ask him, like, Hey, where's your headspace at right now? That's a great question. Where's your headspace? Is there anything that I can do for you? What do you need for me? And anything beyond those basic questions. If you think he's off, love him, love on him, lay on him, put your head in his fucking lap, Like there's intimate things that you could be doing. Real shit, you guys, are you remember the tiktoks that people were making about how the touch of a partner can make everything in a head go silent. That's my fucking reality with you all the time. I made tiktoks about it in the beginning, Like that was one of the first tiktoks that we made that blew up. My head is loud constantly when my face is in your hands and we're making eye contact or we're sharing forehead breath, like that shit stops. It's dead silent, and it's the only time in my life that my mind is silent other than when I'm unconscious. I need those moments. I need the reprieve for me and you laying on me, or me laying on you and us having that physical touch makes that go away. He may not be a physical touch person in an aspect, but I'm willing to bet that if you ask most men, that's a great moment for us. You lay on a couch with our head and our lap and just play on your phone and let's just existence in time and space for a little while. Like that fucking recharges my bad man. You'd be surprised at what that does for us. But don't make it about you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my answer to that is, don't try to label what you think he's going through. So instead of approaching him and saying are you angry or I feel like you're frustrated, say something along the line of I feel like your vibe is off, I feel like your energy is not where it usually is, And you can even throw in there, you can tell me if I'm wrong. My emotional seeking device might need a calibration. There is a very real projection that happens. There are times where my vibe is off and I'm checking in with my husband, because I know I'm not okay and I need to make sure you're okay. So if he says there's nothing going on, you need to believe him. But in turn, Hove, you need to be honest about that. When you say that there's nothing going on, there actually needs to be nothing going on. If you do have something going on and your woman comes up to you and she was like, hey, the vibe is off. Is there anything you want to talk about? Not yet, but I did think of something today that's kind of put me in a dark place. Yeah, I'm gonna be okay. It's not about us. We are fine. I just need to process this before I bring it to the table.
Speaker 2: Always hit them with we're good. Yeah, Always hit them with unless you're not good. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But if you're having relationship problems, it's a different conversation. But always let your partner know that things are good. I'm working through things right now. Let me let me get a cohesive thought together and we'll have a discussion. I don't want to sound dumb. I don't want to be overly emotional. I'm not ready to talk about it. It's okay to not be ready to discuss some shit. As long as you're willing to address and process and then actually, you know, let that shit out. You guys, can't You can't suppress. Yes, you can only put so much into a bottle before the bottle explodes. That's why we do the after reaction reviews. There's times where we have arguments and then have well we don't have arguments, we have disruptions, but then we have a follow up discussion about it a day or two later. If there needs to be ones that we can understand the way that we behaved or why we did the thing we did, or whatever.
Speaker 2: The case may be.
Speaker 4: Because conflict resolution or resolution doesn't happen in conflict, that happens after the fact. There's got to be time to process. Emotions have to cool off, like there's a whole lot of that that it's a thing.
Speaker 6: So yeah, and there also has to be a level of acceptance. Addie, Right, if he processes something and all he gives you is I overcame it and I'm a better person because of it, and that's all he wants to say.
Speaker 3: That's all you're going to get.
Speaker 6: The more that you try to probe and gather more information that may not be yours right, the more of a violation that can happen. But also in turn, if he does want to talk about it again, that's one of those things where you just have to sit there and listen to it. Don't try to fix it, don't try to problem solve unless he specifically asks. I don't know what to do in this situation, and I need your help. I feel like I said a lot there.
Speaker 4: We yeah, we got, We've covered a lot in this episode. This is this has been, I believe, a very productive thing both of them, and I honestly think if you guys sit back and listen to this again and you approach it from a place of neutrality and you start implementing things that'll change your life, Like you guys will find yourself in a very different relationship because of it. These these little tweaks is like tuning up an engine. Like your car may run good, but if you go through and you just tighten everything down and make sure things are lubricated and running properly, you're gonna get a lot more out of it.
Speaker 2: So it does it. It doesn't take much to just make.
Speaker 4: Sure that things get their their you know, maintenance, And that's what communicating is. It's what the check ins are, it's it's general maintenance of your life.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think this is definitely something we needed to do. What about you use your words?
Speaker 2: Don't do that?
Speaker 5: Well, you guys can't see him not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but but you're not talking he's you were talking to him. So if you were able to see him, not, that's that's enough. There's a whole whole lot of let this man live his life.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 6: There is a certain level right that and this just came into my mind. This could totally be left field and inaccurate, but for anybody listening who can relate to this, it does something for somebody. There is also a level of inducing if I have to perform to make someone happy, not saying that hobby feels that way, but that is just to see the plant to think about.
Speaker 4: So how do how do we close this out? I didn't think that through.
Speaker 3: I didn't think that through either.
Speaker 4: Okay, So then final thoughts. Do you guys have anything else that you want to get into before we wrap up?
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 3: That's good?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Okay, I don't have a question, but I don't know if I can ask it. And it's not a relationship question. It's for peaches.
Speaker 4: Guys, if this is something that you've enjoyed and you would like to be on the show, you can send an email to Chris at Tobbetter dot com list of things of what you want to do and make sure that your partner's on board. If you send an email and you're like, my partner's not into this, we're not doing it like this is going to be a two way street. That needs to be both of you willing to try to actively improve your lives. And if that's something that appeals to you, please send us an email. I will do what I can to try to facilitate that if it aligns with what we're doing. Anything you want to add for final thoughts, hot on this.
Speaker 6: To Hovey and Addie. Thank you guys for putting yourselves out there like this. I know that this may have not been an easy decision. I know it may have caused anxiety or you know, like, oh my god, what are they going to say? Are we going to walk away from this better? Is it going to cause tension or frustration? I hope that you guys walk away with this with some golden nuggets. And I truly hope that this conversation with us has brought you, guys or will bring you guys closer together with better understanding of each other and of yourselves and the relationship. A couple of comments from the YouTube channel everybody thanks you guys for being willing to do this, so people got a lot from this conversation. I think in putting your guys' self out here like this, you are going to help a lot of people. And I think that by proxy a lot of marriages and relationships can be saved from the conversations that we're had tonight.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and thank you for trusting us.
Speaker 8: And with that being thank you for thank you for listening.
Speaker 5: Actually and helping us. We appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Oh that just made me a little bit of emotion. You guys are very welcome.
Speaker 6: It's an honor to be able to have these conversations and try our best to help you guys find the joy and love back into the relationship, not that it's not there, but to increase it.
Speaker 4: Life of abundance guys. And with that being said, guys, remember that you are the author of your own life. So grab a pen and we will see you on the next one.
Speaker 3: Bye, guys.