Speaker 1: Justin worship as host of the Dad podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello, do you think you know how we have cold wars? Is this going to be like a tariff war? Is that a Is that going to be a favor?
Speaker 3: We call them trade wars?
Speaker 4: Ye?
Speaker 3: So I was, I was, I was saying this yesterday.
Speaker 5: In my lifetime, I can't remember there being this much cursufful around a trade war. I'm sure they existed, but we weren't paying attention. And now I just feel like we have to pay attention. Speaking of the high cost medicine, a center from a study from baby Center shows that raising a baby can be pretty expensive. That in the first year alone, you're talking about twenty grand got.
Speaker 6: Four dollars on average. Which is what did they say?
Speaker 4: They said, it's fifteen percent of moms baby let expenses eat up half of what they bring in, half of your income for your baby's first year. And they're talking like we've been hearing about this decline and birth rate and this is the first kind of I don't even think that they're well, they do make the connection here, but this is the first time I'm seeing this connection. Is that I thought it was just like generationally that people like millennials were less interested.
Speaker 2: In having families.
Speaker 4: They were more career oriented and they wanted to live a more nomadic lifestyle and have freedom.
Speaker 2: So therefore kids weren't a part of it.
Speaker 4: But now what we're trying to what we're starting to see is that it's possible that there's more economic influence because the birth rate in the US is declining, stem like people are having less kids. There's more dual income no kid type families than there were in the past. I don't think they out like rank like or outnumber the parents yet, but it's still it's rising, and I think a lot of it has.
Speaker 6: To do with the costs well.
Speaker 5: And I know that they make one point in here that there's no national paid leave, there's no federal law that requires paid leave for parents. But I've never worked in a place where it wasn't offered. Yeah where, I mean, that's just a matter of whether it's local law or just a company policy.
Speaker 4: And when you look at like we always love to make fun of the Netherlands, right because there it's where everybody is happy and they have the largest, the longest paid national leap.
Speaker 1: I think who makes fun of people from the Netherlands. I do you do like you like we would make fun of Canadians, you make fun of the people from the Netherlands.
Speaker 6: Wait, there's a different.
Speaker 1: Wooden shoes.
Speaker 6: She listens.
Speaker 4: I told you, she listens. I think is what it's called the gigs out my pseudon.
Speaker 1: You broadcast from solving.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm spending defective American who I'm fun.
Speaker 1: Always make fun of the.
Speaker 4: Well, maybe I'm talking to me in the Royal League because I think it's just so funny that they are always so happy and nobody seems to understand why. And then the minute I bring up and say like things even amongst friends, not just here, but when I say amongst my friends, it's like, oh, well, they have more paid apparently if I think they're like I thought it was closer to nine oh maybe, and they have that. I think it's nine months for a mom and six months for a dad is what they get in the Netherlands.
Speaker 2: I'll look that up before when we go in the next break or whatever.
Speaker 4: But that the happier nations seem to have longer paid leave. That is a federal thing, like I don't know in what instances it's actually paid by the federal government. I'm sure that it has to be subsidized in some way, shape or form. It's like a disability for lack of a better way putting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's also a great tax coat in in Amsterdam.
Speaker 6: What do you mean by that?
Speaker 1: Thirty percent of your gross salary can be paid out tax free as non taxable allowance?
Speaker 4: Wow, but you still got to be in the like fifty percent of taxes. There's no way that they're You're also just getting a third of their inner.
Speaker 1: Beautiful there too, nice waterways.
Speaker 2: The Shannon's planning a move and offend it by me saying making fun.
Speaker 1: You read it from the work for the.
Speaker 3: Commerce or something.
Speaker 6: He's doing another trip you gonna go?
Speaker 5: I stopped there on the way to a don't yeahcakes.
Speaker 6: That's like almost a ten year old fit.
Speaker 1: Now, this.
Speaker 6: A long time ago.
Speaker 4: Gary Shadow were filling it on the Morning show when I worked there. Just mentioned about going to Europe, and Gary evidently gets very upset whenever she talks about her travels because he feels like his children are sandbags and weigh him down from being.
Speaker 3: Able to experience it. It's rooted in my deep jealous.
Speaker 6: And as a person who walks with children. I agree wholeheartedly. I think it is fair that it's the shouldn't she should be burdened with at.
Speaker 4: Least a bag of flour or some eggs that she has to care for, like it's a junior year.
Speaker 6: In high school again.
Speaker 5: And listen, you and I may both be older than Shannon, but because of the benefit of having squeezed.
Speaker 3: Out a couple of kids, we're smarter. We are smarter.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I can't wait.
Speaker 5: Science will prove it, Gary Channon will so much belief in your eye.
Speaker 1: Being a parent keeps the brain young, so says science. Justin Worsham, host of The Dad podcast, is with us. His hips don't lie. I've been worked on.
Speaker 6: A physical therapist did some It's a.
Speaker 1: Whole thing strong hips. So what's what's the deal with this? Is it just because your brain has to stay active when you've got kids, especially multiple at just the multitasker, the entire your whole life.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They did multiple brain studies in Britain and they showed that when they looked at the not only there was a direct correlation between people who didn't have kids and people who had kids, but also even more to support their evidence, was the more kids you had, the longer your brain stayed active, and it was because of use. Like to me, there was a my r pediatrician gave the kids this kind of speech when we went in there and saying, you got to watch how many how much time you spend playing video games, and she said the reason is is because if you spend most of your time playing video games, then the neurons in your brain that are used for playing video games become very strong and very open and can fire fast.
Speaker 2: But you're neglecting the other parts of your brain like your hips.
Speaker 4: Your hips, you need to get out there and do some pilates boys, uh, and so so you have to do these other things so that you're well rounded in that area, and so with parents, because so much of your life is about social connection with kids, and the more kids you have, so those parts of your brain. But the thing that blew my brain, my brain, was that it's also your motor function is more like grip strength is something that they actually use to assess your motor ability because you're that part of the frontal cortex of your brain controls how hard you.
Speaker 2: Can squeeze your hand.
Speaker 3: Well, you've you've tried to hold kids down, haven't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course that's but.
Speaker 6: I guess I guess what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Not to be a wet blanket on your humor, but I'm what I'm saying is that I never would have thought that you having a stronger frontal stronger frontal cortex.
Speaker 2: Not my verbal cortex obviously, but.
Speaker 4: For motor skills because of kids, would make my grip strength stronger later on in life. Like that, that's fascinating to me, Am I done?
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I think you're right. Because there's no gen there's no brain, you should not have children.
Speaker 4: I don't think you understand deal with frustration and anchor.
Speaker 3: They do describe.
Speaker 6: Also, no more puppies for you, okay.
Speaker 5: Caregiving is the highly sensory process involving coordinated movements. The holding the cradle and defeating the children can engage multiple sensory systems, but obviously you're using muscles with that as well. Just my wife used to have this very specific way that she would hold one of the kids on her hip.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it.
Speaker 4: Looks like they're like making a half moon shape out of their back, and I don't understand how that works.
Speaker 5: And she would talk about that, of course, I mean that made her that strengthened whatever that side. I mean she would switch from side to side, but she would talk about that being a very specific feeling of that was strengthened. Especially as the kids grow from you know, eight pounds up to.
Speaker 3: Eighty pounds. I don't know when you stopped crazy.
Speaker 6: Whatever they grow to, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know how big number one and number two, I know which one was.
Speaker 4: Fir impressed me too that my wife could literally carry a child like a toddler around all day at like a theme park. Right, But when it comes to taking four or five bags of groceries, can you get these big guys?
Speaker 3: This is not a Ruffles counseling.
Speaker 1: This is not that. Yeah, I'm not even gonna look at you for the rest of the time.
Speaker 6: Overdone.
Speaker 3: I thought we had some time here.
Speaker 6: Can we unpack what I just said?
Speaker 3: Do I need not a great idea?
Speaker 5: She done enough, She unloaded two kids, and now you wanted to unload four or five bags of groceries.
Speaker 4: So many times I defend you with her, and now you're gonna jump on this bandwagon.
Speaker 1: He wants to be safe too.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to protect you. You see this, I'm helping you.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go next door and start my apology tours the world, but especially my wife.
Speaker 6: I wasn't saying it was bad. I just was like, it was interesting to me.
Speaker 1: Why is that she taught the kids, she carried the kids, and she carried the kids on her hip, and then she like grocery shops.
Speaker 6: I'm sure this doesn't argument. But I told her about to breastfeed.
Speaker 5: Okay, you've taught her to I'm sure she would find that interesting.
Speaker 6: Also, let's get her on the horn.
Speaker 1: Let's car also an awful idea, so never want to hear I taught my wife how to breastfeed again.
Speaker 2: Ever, alright, well I had a good run.
Speaker 5: You can see why that was all I do. Think you have a good sitcom pitch. Justin Worsham, the world's first male lactation consultant.
Speaker 3: I could see that coming up.
Speaker 4: No w B, everybody's going to use that talkback feature right now and you're gonna get blown up on how many people, how many guys know how to teach ala?
Speaker 1: I have never done that. I know I just did a child, but in my head, I I can't think of anything that would be more infuriating than my husband telling me how to make that s work. And I almost said the real word, like that to me sounds like the worst version of calm down I've ever heard, Like you do it.
Speaker 3: That is actual weaponized mansplain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the onion was to write an article about man splaining. They would use my life example.
Speaker 1: That'll land on a dateline with Keith Morrison talking about your life.
Speaker 4: This is why she is my soulmate because she found it amusing.
Speaker 6: That's like she doesn't look at this.
Speaker 2: It's like you have to.
Speaker 6: I'm never coming back here again.
Speaker 1: You know we love you.
Speaker 6: I know. That's why it makes it so infuriating.
Speaker 5: Twelve o'clock hour is coming up next. Gary and Shannon will continue right after.
Speaker 1: Use that then