Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow.
Speaker 2: And I'm Catherine Jileco.
Speaker 1: Every Thursday, we're bringing you a library find, a pick from our archives, and a parenting or pop culture tidbit or two. Let's start with Catherine's library find of the week.
Speaker 2: So this week's library find is connected to the segment to follow, which is Dancing with the Stars. Because did you know that Julianne Huff, oh my gosh, has written a novel, has written in air quotes a novel because it's her and somebody else gets their name on the cover, so you know, uh huh, all it is is her name, and this is why normal people can't write books and sell books, because we have this happening, yes, Julianne Huff, you know, putting her name on a book called Everything We Never Knew, which is a very generic title, co written with someone named Ellen Goodlett who probably is an actual real author.
Speaker 1: So did she just come up with the idea and say go write this or what?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I do know that that is what happened with Millie Bobby Brown, who has her name on a book as well, that she sort of had a vague idea and told it to an actual writer, and that writer wrote it down and it was published with Millie Bobby Brown listed as one of the authors. And again I say to you, this is not fair. Stop it.
Speaker 1: I have mixed emotions about it, because, yes, it's why real writers can't get published. But on the other hand, real writers are making a nice living as ghostwriters. And that's not terrible that I did in the early days of my writing career do some ghosting, not for anybody famous, and not for anything that I would actually want my name on it. But you know, it's it's a it's a gig. These people got a gig, and they've got their name on the front of a book, and they've got something to point to that's gonna be much more famous than something that had only their name on it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: You know, we make our compromises, right, and we cash our paychecks and we pay bills.
Speaker 2: And we get three out of five stars on Goodreads.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well, and you get talked about on a podcast. Yes, it's just like a writer's name again.
Speaker 2: What was that name, Ellen good Lit?
Speaker 1: Ellen Goodlett, We salute you, babe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's see what else she's she's.
Speaker 1: Written down payment on a living arrangement or a car, or got your kid into a good school.
Speaker 2: Right, she's written a couple of other looks like sort of fantasy type books. Those get more stars than her Julienne.
Speaker 1: Huffshow they're better. Do they get more dollar signs? Away?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Probably not.
Speaker 1: You know, it's just like, we don't live in a perfect world. Sometimes you make your you make your compromises, and you make your peace with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's just you know, isn't she doing It's it's like, isn't she doing enough? You know, like why do these tough enough? Yeah? Why why do these celebrities want to do these things?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: That's my question.
Speaker 1: I am cynical enough to think that probably a publisher comes to their agent and says, would she like to write a book?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That makes me think putting her name.
Speaker 1: On a book will make us dollar sign Right, it's all you know, if you don't like it, go to the back shelves of bookstore and pick out an unpromising looking book by somebody you've never heard of, and go pay for it and feel like you're doing something good. But we all, I mean, we're all attracted to shiny objects.
Speaker 2: I have no interest in reading Julianne Huff's dazzling and heartwarming novel.
Speaker 1: So Katherine's library find this Week is just about shaming. It's just like me breathing about it, and she's putting it back.
Speaker 2: A big sigh. So Everything We Never Knew. It's just one of those titles that you'd never remember it, like, you know, you'd be like it was called something we always knew, or it was called everything we used to think, or it's a very generic title.
Speaker 1: It is very much fiction of the day. You know that there's probably you could just throw like twenty five words in a bag and pull out five of them and put them on your book cover. Yes for four everything, never, perfect, couple, lie, truth, Yeah, yeah, those would be some of the important ones around. And look at the new fiction and go, there's a very small range here. If only we had a book by a famous dancer, Yeah, and somebody we've never heard of it, although it does refer to her here as rule author Ellen Goodlett.
Speaker 2: So that's her other. Yeah, that's her other.
Speaker 1: She's got some something that some people would know her name, I guess. But then it just is about the author julian huffposits right.
Speaker 2: Emmy Award winner Julianne Huff, please get it right?
Speaker 1: Did you read did you read the reviews that go with the three point ten store stars and find out if they were mostly saying the same thing you're saying? Go back?
Speaker 2: Oh man, the top review that's posted as a one star. So that person is on my side.
Speaker 1: Don't give up the dancing dabe.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Yes, this individual calls it a weird mash up between a Hallmark movie and ghost whisper.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so shall we talk about Julianne's real job?
Speaker 1: Yes, Actually, we don't like the way she does that. She's fine, She's fine. You know, She's no Aaron Andrews, but she's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do miss Aaron do So.
Speaker 1: Was Disney Night on Dancing with the Stars, otherwise known as That's Disney?
Speaker 2: How is this? Disney Zombies? Mickey Mouse? Mickey Mouse was in the disco ball, the mirror ball hanging above it all. I guess it had mouse ears.
Speaker 1: This is see all the properties Disney is acquired night?
Speaker 2: Yeah, usually don't they send them to Disneyland? Like nobody went to Disney.
Speaker 1: It was a sort of on Disney E Disney night, I think. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean they had Sasha and Jen like paddling around in some kind of little lagoon, but that wasn't at Disney, so yeah, usually they take them there, and I.
Speaker 1: Feel like the dances that were from a non super familiar Disney property didn't go over as well. I don't know, I just didn't feel as excited about them. Although whatever rendition of I guess somebody there was singing kiss the Girl live.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was weird, not good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it just the dance just kind of fell flat because it's just this guy kind of singing, you know.
Speaker 2: It was a very Holy Wishes. It was a very odd cover of that song.
Speaker 1: Yes, agreed, but not as unfortunate as oh my gosh, they're show mancing them, aren't they. Yeah, they sort of were hinting at it for a few weeks, but Gleb was taking the taking the heat on the showmance. And now they're doing it with the two of them, and she seems perfectly game with it, and he seems a little likely. He's like, no, this is her, this is her bread and butter, you know. Yeah, but she was. She was on the season of the same season as joe I guess. She was on Joey's season of The Bachelor.
Speaker 2: I guess, and then immediately she was on The Bachelorette.
Speaker 1: Right awkward, but I guess again, it's a franchise. They're just right, you know, they're all actors, so sure. So she's like, oh, sure, you know, I'll make the little little bad jokes and so just like, maybe I'm getting too old for this show. I don't know. Speaking of Sasha, have we seen Emma since she was eliminated, because all the eliminated pros have been in group dances.
Speaker 2: And I don't think I've seen her. Yeah, they've been have the blonde troop girl, And that's a good question. I feel like I definitely didn't see her at all tonight, but in the past, like maybe maybe just last week when they talk about the tour, she's always like front center, yes, but you're right, you know, either has something else to do or is just.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's very weird because Ezra and Pasha have been very front and center and doing stuff on social media, as has brit So you see them in all the dances and stuff, and it's kind of fun. But I wonderful. We didn't really see Gleb either, not that I care, because I saw Gleb.
Speaker 2: I remember seeing him in the opening number.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think he was in something else later on too when I noticed him, but there was a blonde but I don't think it was just hoping that if they keep it in long enough shot, we'll just assume.
Speaker 2: Real.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, well yeah, this was I mean getting to the actual show.
Speaker 2: Getting to the actual I did enjoy the opening number, but yes, the actual show. I mean Steven and Riley kick it off. They do a really fun Charleston. They make a big deal about how he got us fray and then they give him eights, which okay, you know, I thought it was really cute and good and okay, but fine, But then they give Phedra and val also ates. They give Dwight and Danielle eights, which I still enjoy watching them, but like, no, that wasn't the same.
Speaker 1: Scoring this season seems to me that it's been very high for everybody, and I don't really get it. But yeah, I mean Fedra well, I mean if she spoiler she left the show this this week.
Speaker 2: Yes, she was elimonade, but.
Speaker 1: She has a dance really. Now, you could say maybe Steven's not dancing as much as he should. He's doing more tricks and stuff and he's not really getting the dancing part of it moving.
Speaker 2: And that's what Danny's doing. Danny is doing just lyft after lyft after list exactly. Yes, like come on, so she's just.
Speaker 1: Really standing there while Val dances around her. And you know, I'm glad the final three was her and Stephen and Riley and Jen and Sasha, and boy, if it hadn't gone the way it did, I mean I would have been I think Jenn is perfectly fine, much better than Edra, so that would have been bad. But if Stephen had gone home instead of her, I would have been tipped and Riley was Riley needs to work on her game face, sweetie, smile all the time.
Speaker 2: This is just the way it is. This is It's okay.
Speaker 1: Sasha was looked a little pained too, so I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe because he's like, oh great, another week of show. He was ready to be done with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's why, why is that necessary at all? I mean, if it happens organically, okay, But when it's so obvious right, wig wik.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, then they had team dances, and I agreed that the the second team, which was Alona, Joey, Chandler and Jen, their dance was better and it was fun. I mean, I thought the Lion King was fine too, but.
Speaker 1: I thought they were both okay, And it's it's just this is the way it works. Every time, whatever team goes first gets lower scores because they can't score them high because they don't know what the other team is going to look like, right, and then the other team always wins it. So okay, fine.
Speaker 2: I just thought they were more coordinated, they were more seemed like they were dancing as a group better.
Speaker 1: I guess. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed how Alona was filling in as the as the fourth guy right for lifts and such.
Speaker 2: That was fun, but.
Speaker 1: Tense times in the Jenna and valehouse, right her team Media's team, and then he also.
Speaker 2: Went and then he got eliminated.
Speaker 1: Yes, happy for you, honey, Oh well you.
Speaker 2: Can stay home with the baby. Why I go to work? That seems fair.
Speaker 1: Boy. They're pushing the heck out of Chandler, aren't they. Yeah, you will love her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and guess what she's got immunity now and bonus.
Speaker 1: Points find her completely indistinguishable. But uh yeah, they brought Milo in and it's like, I remember how good Milo was.
Speaker 2: That was fun.
Speaker 1: Remember that had something that she ain't got. I don't know if it's if it's partner because because he was with Whitney and yeah, she gave him some really good choreography. But hmmm, she just you know, Okay, it's fine.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But although she's she was said said something, how old do you think she is?
Speaker 2: Oh? I think she's pretty young. I think she's like.
Speaker 1: She said something like I did dig deep. I just didn't externalize it. She's like that lingo.
Speaker 2: I missed that, Yeah I did. I mean when they were saying that to her last week, I was just like, we are we are reaching for stuff to say, you know, we are what what now?
Speaker 1: I think perfectly fine. It's sums her up pretty well. And I mean, I guess she could win. I thought the youngster from last season who won. So she's too young and too lacking a fan base. But she just bulldozed right till the winds.
Speaker 2: And that was Val. So yep, that's maybe that's why Val can be like, Okay, I'll set the rest of this out because I won last time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I don't know if we'd have no if Brandon has the chops, but we'll see. There was a very cute was it on Instagram? I think I'm not on TikTok, so it must have been on Instagram of Chandler and Brandon's wife doing a little thing. And actually she also did something with Steven's girlfriend.
Speaker 2: So she's just Chandler.
Speaker 1: Just hanging around Brandon's wife.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, she's just.
Speaker 1: Hanging around the ballroom looking for Instagram opportunities.
Speaker 2: I saw the them doing that lift that Whitney did where she was laying on the floor and she had her legs stuck out and you know, Danny just lifted her up by the leg. I saw a bunch of people trying that. I did too, including Ilona and Alan, and they did not do it, mostly do it, but yeah, yeah, Brandon and his wife did pull it off.
Speaker 1: So good for them. Mm hmm. But that looks like if you don't, if you are not a trained professional, that could be painful. My back hurts just watching it. Young and lie the people only m.
Speaker 2: Yes, So that's look good. It's pretty impressive. Yeah. I mean, you know, Danny and Whitney, it's it's all about those those lifts and yep, and yeah, I don't necessarily associate Deadpool with Disney Night. But okay, yeah, so good for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, football guy, Okay.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: You know, this is what we have. This is what always comes down to. Yes, football guy, the bachelor. The oh, speaking of bachelor, Yes, do we know if that guy has dance experience? I don't know, but he's good dance experience. It's pretty good. I don't think he's learning how to dance right now, because like with the bachelorettes, usually they've been like cheerleaders or some other dances. They have like extensive dance experience or experience or stunt experience. He's got to have some mm hmm. But I don't think they've said anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean at one point they were like, oh, he was a cheerleader, and he was like, well it was you know, powder puff cheerleading, so that's not really anything up. Yeah, exactly, you.
Speaker 1: Were on the dance. You call him, We won't think less of you. You're already a bachelor. We were about as low as we could go.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, we'll have to maybe do a little research into that. Just the way he moves.
Speaker 1: He moves very well in addition to you know, and certainly learns choreography very well. So I suspect it would be nothing new for that franchise. But Jen, on the other hand, Yeah, sorry, babe, Yeah, I wasn't her saying like, I think you're not getting a music either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think it was music.
Speaker 1: But yeah, oh well, oh well, so another exciting week, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Next week is Halloween.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, they certainly make a meal of that. So what do we have from the archive this week?
Speaker 2: We are going back to twenty twenty one. We at that time were obsessing about what we would put on a wish list at this stage in our parenting life, you know.
Speaker 1: Along the lines of you know, wish lists for newlyweds and wish lists for people having their first baby. These were like what we would want to at our particular stage, right right, just the Amazon wish lists people put up for no particular.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Some of the things that we had mentioned back then were noise canceling headphones so that when we retreat to our to our room to work or sulk or whatever it is, we do not want to also be listening to whatever is going on around us. I would still like these even though my children don't live in my house anymore, because I still have a human living in the house who's whenever they are on the phone, we all get to get to hear that conversation. And if it's with you know, customers, like please spare me. That's that is when I put on the headphones and crank up post alone because nice stuff. Yep, yes for that. We wanted snacks and treats that are only for us. Yes, that is a little more achievable for me now because like I said, the children are not in the house.
Speaker 1: In my case, I'm mostly stealing other people's treats. I'm fine with that. Oh look, who, somebody has crackers here in the closet.
Speaker 2: Isn't that nice? Give me a handful?
Speaker 1: Sometimes they do it when my kids are walking around, Like my son will be walking around with the box of crackers shoving in his mouth right like some for me? Please? Yep, mom, tacks still applies, see way more than I wanted. And that's fine, generous boy, loving generous boy. I'll just my husband will be sitting on the couch eating a pop tart, and.
Speaker 2: I'll be like, could I have a bit tart?
Speaker 1: So you know, I don't buy the bad stuff. I don't bring it into the home, but once it's here, I can eat some of you.
Speaker 2: You are entitled to.
Speaker 1: I am entitled. I'm defenseless against this. This is the best way to like, not eat things that you shouldn't eat is to not bring them into the house. Somebody else brings them in the house. You're you know, what, what could I do? I didn't do it.
Speaker 2: I don't Probably the calories are are negligible if you do that.
Speaker 1: They certainly ought to be. And you know, I am just as with Halloween candy. You know, I'm sacrificing myself for my family. Let me throw myself on this stuff and consume it so that my children will be spared the things we do. But uh yeah, I wouldn't mind having you know, my own snack cash here in my office along with my increasingly elaborate coffee set. I got tired. I have this These reusable filters metal and you don't have to put a you know, pull to filter in them. You just wash them out.
Speaker 2: Have some difficulty.
Speaker 1: I got tired of washing it out three times a day to make myself a cup of coffee. So I just bought three filters.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: I have three, most of them dirty, just sitting here. But my office is more and more looking like a back room of a Starbucks.
Speaker 2: I would like to work in the back room of a Starbucks. That's okay. I don't drink coffee, but I drink other things that Starbucks.
Speaker 1: Coffee half just right now, Yes, some Moores flavored coffee. Oh, and it does not taste anything like some wares. But it tastes vaguely coconuty, which is fine, hmmm, as long as it tastes good.
Speaker 2: I don't understand what that would have to do with.
Speaker 1: I don't know, because there's no coconut and some wars. No, maybe that's a marshmallow flavor and I'm just mistaking it. I don't know. But as I've discussed before, I get this flatavored Coffee of the Month club from Blackout Coffee, and they're always really ambitious flavors, you know, and sometimes it hits, sometimes it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: The weirdness was chicken and waffles, what, which was actually kind of tasty.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Wow, sort of like a crispy fried chicken skin and a maple syrup sweetness to it, and then add by the end I liked.
Speaker 2: It, add that to your coffee. Well yeah, yeah, I mean maybe this is how Pumpkins spice started. I guess, I guess.
Speaker 1: So, oh well, okay, anyway, my kids will not come near my coffee, so that's safe. That's my that's my safe stash. Yes, does you have twice some of this coffee now away from us? I don't even want to smell it. Just fine? So what else do you want to think that I most want? He's not a thing you can get on an Amazon or that it would do you any good to put on a wish list, which would be friends, romantic interests, and spouses. And I still have not found where you can order those up. And then there's always the possibility that the recipient would return it.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's your wish list, but it's their life.
Speaker 1: I think this is one that you have to put on order with the prayer and not with Amazon. Yeah, I'm working, its likely putting in those requests. Here's my list, amen. But because that's the other than that, we're rolling along just fine. But I don't see that actually ever happening, but I would like it to if I could. Just you know, is there a boyfriend of the month club?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, yeah, I mean I if I were to think along those lines, it would probably be, you know, a career, you know, for the creative child who wants to work in the arts. You know. My wish list item would be like a steady income for that.
Speaker 1: Amazon, I would like a pack of five big breaks.
Speaker 2: Yes, space them out across the next several decades so that they all string together nicely. Let's do that. Yes, there you go. That seems like that should be doable. Yeah, no problem, no problem at all. And you know we'll we'll add to keep the pets healthy forever and ever.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is true. I still could request all sorts of pet things. Yes, And actually I have this one particular type of dog treat on order from Amazon to send me like once a month. So just like I get my coffee, the dog gets her greenies. And when there's a little gap, you know, something's a little late coming, she doesn't understand. It's like, where are the Beleef's my treat?
Speaker 2: Right? What's going on here? I believe you.
Speaker 1: Could tell me about lateness in the mail cycle. I do think you could maybe get those other grocery joor you could. You could, They're cheaper from Amazon R. And also, I don't have to go to the store, right, Actually I went to the store. I don't know if I said this before, but I went to the store. And I don't usually go to the store, but I happened to be there. And so I went to the pet treats aisle so sad, I'm gonna get her some special treats. And I'm looking at all the treats. They're so expensive. And then I came to the milk bones, which was an enormous box for three dogs, Like, hey, I bet she's not that picky. They had peanut butter milk bones. She likes peanut butter, so she is enjoying them quite a bit.
Speaker 2: Bet. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's like, I'm sure there's people who would go, oh my gosh, you give your dog that.
Speaker 2: It's so bad for them.
Speaker 1: Yes, but you know, dogs will eat trash off the street. Certainly, I don't think that they need the twenty five dollars dog treats.
Speaker 2: We we used pretty inexpensive food, and I swear. We tried when we first had the dogs, we tried different ones that were more expensive, and they did not like them.
Speaker 1: Not to bless dogs with you know, low brow tee exactly. I mean, they're plenty costly in other ways. Yes, yeah, we give ours blue Buffalo, which is a little pricey. But I think she would just be just as happy with a bowl of rice every night, So we probably I could take that down a notch. But you know, you want to feel like you're doing the best for the kids, that's right, and all they want to eat is Kraft macaroni and cheese out of a box.
Speaker 2: But still, I did just see this is very much unrelated, but that you know, how the Wicked movie is coming out probably, I think around Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: Half of it is coming out.
Speaker 2: Oh is a two parter. Yeah, so this is the one with Ariana Grande and Cynthia Arrivo. Apparently Walmart is selling instant Kraft mac and cheese, you know the ones where you just add boiling water. I forgot what the like green Wicked branded nous, unless that was it's not the right time of year for it to be in April, fool, I'm sure it's I'm sure it's No, it's real. It's great value. Oh actually it's mystery color. Sorry, it's it's the microwavable cop right, you know which. It's not craft, it's Walmart brand, great value, and it's going to be either pink or green. You won't find out until.
Speaker 1: You and if your kid gets the wrong one, they're gonna cry and you're gonna have to make you go.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have to eat.
Speaker 1: The unfavored one. Yeah, oh golly, that seems like that sounded like such a good idea in a boardroom.
Speaker 2: So there you have it. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: We're just gonna be overrun with Wicked Cross Promotionally, yes, it's coming. But first, as I mentioned earlier, the Krabby patties are now at wendy'sh Go support your local Wendy's, buy an overpriced burger with a tie in. Definitely eat SpongeBob's House with a pineapple under the sea frosty.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Man marketing people, the people who come up with this stuff. That's actually the kind of job I could have done at one time. Probably it's just oh yeah, you would have been good at that, because I did work for like giftwear companies and stuff, and oftentimes they had cross promotions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh man, there is a wild time for that profession because it just seems like anything goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you need only look at the pumpkins spice takeover of the world.
Speaker 1: I like me some pumpkin spice. I have pumpkin spice coffee right behind me as we speak.
Speaker 2: Right next to the chicken and waffles. Next.
Speaker 1: Man, the chicken and waffles is gone, next to the hazel nut and the some moore.
Speaker 2: Okay, those sound a little more.
Speaker 1: Enorm I'm gonna buy you a bag of chicken and waffle coffee just for that.
Speaker 2: I don't drink drink coffee.
Speaker 1: We'll work on You could just smell it though, Yeah, a vaguely, a vaguely chickenese.
Speaker 2: Please.
Speaker 1: Speaking of wild things, they're sitting around trying to figure out what they want, flavor of coffee they want next? Where do they come up with chicken and water?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But as I say, it was tasty good.
Speaker 2: I would drink it again. Good.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com slash Shop slash Mamitude, but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.