Speaker 1: Live from the heart of the nation's capital, this is a Jim Acosta Show special report.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome to the Jim Acosta Show. It's another day that ends in Y in Donald Trump's assault on American democracy. Trump is interfering in the midterms as we speak. It's happening right now. His administration is trying to block mail-in ballots from reaching voters via the post office. And much more than that, let's discuss with Mary Trump. Mary, it's great to see you, as always.
Speaker 3: Jim, it's great to be here.
Speaker 4: I love hanging out with you.
Speaker 3: And yeah, a thing or two happening on this day.
Speaker 1: A thing or two happening, no question about it.
Speaker 2: And I mean, I'm, you know, the election stuff, and I want to get into Natalie Harp and the way he's been losing it lately, Kennedy Center and so on. But this election stuff, I really am concerned because we've already been through this, you know, this whole, this idea that, oh, you know, the way it's covered in legacy media, you know, as if, you know, this is something that may occur or it's something that he's threatening to do or warning. He may, he's doing it like he's doing it. And I think everybody's being too cautious in saying it. What's been your observation of this? How worried are you about, about these upcoming midterms?
Speaker 3: I've been worried about Donald's willingness to cheat and steal elections since 2016, because he's, so deluded himself into believing that he deserves to win, that he's perfectly comfortable cheating in order to do so. And as we know, the only way this guy ever does win is by cheating. So we should all be concerned. As you said, it's not like this is new. The writing has been on the wall for a very long time, and especially since 2020. with the big lie and the insurrection. How much more evidence do we need that Donald Trump is capable of doing whatever it takes in order to stay in power? And the thing about the mail-in voting that's particularly concerning is because it affects all elections. Now, gerrymandering, partisan gerrymandering, racist gerrymandering, those are all very bad things, but they can affect statewide or federal elections. Mail-in voting can, And it's just an indication that Donald knows that without this assist, this fraudulent assist, his party will lose. And that is not going to end well for him. So, of course, he's going to pull out all the stops. And, of course, the corrupt, illegitimate Supreme Court is going to help him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, that's the scary thing about it.
Speaker 2: And judges are, I mean, I also have a problem with the judicial system and the way the judges in the Supreme Court have been behaving. I mean, this judge today lifted an order that had blocked the administration from carrying out these efforts. This is the New York Times. The Postal Service can for now move ahead with plans to restrict mail-in voting ahead of the midterm elections in November after a federal judge lifted an order that had blocked it from carrying out Trump administration efforts. The judge wrote that she felt compelled to act in response to a ruling from the Supreme Court on Monday that that the action by the courts was premature. And, you know, I mean, under the plan, the Postal Service would not deliver mail ballots in states that do not share voter data with the agency and.
Speaker 1: Would deliver only ballots that meet certain criteria.
Speaker 2: And, you know, just this week, Mary, the Supreme Court basically lied about Trump's intentions. You know, they lifted this lower court stay of the executive order on the mail and ballot stuff.
Speaker 1: And it begins with a lie.
Speaker 2: The ruling from the Supreme Court begins with, it says, about five months ago, President Trump issued an executive order designed to maintain public confidence in federal elections.
Speaker 1: That's not true.
Speaker 5: He doesn't.
Speaker 2: It says he issued an executive order regarding election integrity. He doesn't care about election integrity. He cares about elections being tilted in his favor.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And apparently the aforementioned corrupt illegitimate supermajority only cares about that, too. don't care about the Constitution. Donald's never read it. It is in the Constitution that elections are run by states. The federal government has no role here. And just to make it as simple as possible, Donald votes by mail.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: It just, the hypocrisy and the willingness of the Roberts court to bend over backwards to give Donald an assist is bordering on the grotesque at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was asking the other day, who's the biggest super fan of Donald Trump? Is it Natalie Harp or is it Chief Justice John Roberts? I mean, you know, they're both in serious competition with one another.
Speaker 3: And Roberts has done much more to help out Donald Trump than Natalie Harbaugh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no question about it. And, you know, I mean, there's example after example. Again, not to harp on this.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: Using ICE as a weapon against voting. You know, there's a Republican nominee for governor in Maine today.
Speaker 1: Total supporters.
Speaker 2: He plans to ask Homeland Security to send ICE to polling places in Maine before the midterms. Washington Post has a story today. Trump is threatening to election arrest election officials. And I mean, it goes on and on and on. It's it's this is what I want people to understand. It's happening right now. It's already started.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: And it would be malpractice for governors and blue states or Democratic governors not to be taking this seriously and not to have a plan in place. I mean, the good news is that that Democratic AGs meet regularly to discuss make sure that they do whatever they can to protect their state's elections. So that should make us all feel better. But I think that governors who have a massive amount of power, and we forget that sometimes, states are sovereign. And Democratic governors could make sure that they counter any ICE presence with the National Guard, for example. And just to make sure that there is no violence and there is no voter intimidation, which is exactly... what will happen if ICE is allowed to show up to polling places in Democratic cities unchallenged. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, and states have state police forces. I mean, I think that you could just have a couple of squad cars in certain locations and just say, hey, you know, we're keeping, you're keeping an eye on us. We're keeping an eye on you. You know, I mentioned Natalie Harp. Let's talk about this because Mary, you and I haven't had a chance to speak in a while. We've seen Donald go through this over the years where he collects these aides who get super.
Speaker 1: Clingy with him.
Speaker 2: Natalie Harp seems to have like blown all of them out of the water in her clinginess. And I mean, just over the weekend, they had this big race here in Washington, which they, where they spent a whole bunch of money. And I guess not a lot of people turned out, but Melania turned out the first lady showed up out of nowhere. We haven't seen her in a while. We have some video of this. She looked really pissed with Trump. I'm sure you saw this.
Speaker 1: She did not look happy.
Speaker 2: And I guess maybe she was not happy that she had to make an appearance as part of her deal with Donald there. But what do you make of this whole Natalie Harp fiasco? We haven't had a chance to talk about it.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, obviously, Melania only shows up if she's handsomely paid. And that's probably where most of the money went to get her there. But I think the Natalie Harp situation is of a piece with Donald's general decline. It makes him look like such a pathetic, frail, needy old man that he has to have a woman young enough to be his granddaughter constantly with him, protecting him, making sure that he sees positive press clippings about him, positive articles, most of which are probably fictional. it's a very bad look for him. And it also shows you that, you know, probably not in the not too distant past, somebody like that would have been too much even for him, but because he's so in so much trouble and he is really lashing out and is really desperate to change the narrative. And his, his ego is being threatened at every turn. He needs somebody, constantly filling his head with compliments and positive messages. And she fits the bill, I have to say that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And this is more than what we've witnessed in the past, it seems, what she's doing, it seems.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it's extreme. It's over the top. And again, it looks terrible. Like I personally, I don't care what the contours of their relationship are. I really don't care. Clearly, she's somebody who needs help, though. What I do care about, besides, again, the fact that it's just another example of how far gone he is, she presents a very real national security threat to the United States of America, all because the president is a flailing, failing old man whose ego is fragile. That's the most alarming.
Speaker 4: Thing about her.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I mean, there are signs of decline all over. I mean, the way he's lashing out about the Kennedy Center now. they're threatening to demolish the Kennedy Center if they don't put his name back up there.
Speaker 1: He's lashing out at the Canadians.
Speaker 2: You know, it sort of reminds me of Grandpa Simpson shaking his fist at the moon at the moon or the clouds or.
Speaker 1: Whatever it was.
Speaker 2: And, you know, he's got these true social posts that he's going to rename again. Lake Ontario, Lake America, and nobody's going to go along with that. Sort of like when your, your crazy uncle makes, you know, stupid racist jokes at the, at the Thanksgiving dinner table.
Speaker 1: And everybody just kind of like, you know, does one of these things. Oh, geez. You know, I can't wait for this, this dinner to be over. So we can all go home. He's acting like that guy. Well, yes.
Speaker 3: Well aware.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. And I mentioned uncle. So that was my.
Speaker 3: Whole family at Thanksgiving, actually. So, But it's getting worse, obviously. And he is. He is that guy shaking his fist at the clouds. But really what he's shaking his fist at is reality because he has completely lost control of this narrative. And people are beginning to see that there's no need to capitulate to this profoundly weak person. There is no reason to go along with his rantings and his ravings Because not only do they make him look bad, they make his supporters and enablers look bad. So you know that you've lost the plot when cattle ranchers have turned against you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's so true.
Speaker 2: I mean, everybody is mad at him right now. 47 states and the District of Columbia. Apparently he's underwater in all of those places. But, you know, one of the features of Donald Trump, Mary, and this is not really age.
Speaker 1: Relative is the way he will throw people under the bus.
Speaker 2: And he's got, there was a true social post where he, he retweeted somebody saying that, you know, the GOP doesn't understand how badly they're screwing things up. I don't think the GOP fully grasps how badly they're fucking up right now.
Speaker 1: Trump put that on his true social.
Speaker 4: Well, that's, that's the way to message it, right? Hey, thank you, Donald.
Speaker 3: That's actually really helpful. And it's, what's interesting is, What's what's the rationale for thinking that? Because the truth of the matter is the ways in which the Republicans are fucking up by is by continuing to be completely 100 percent behind him every step of the way, even though he got rid of two incumbents who easily would have won reelection and he installed Darlene Nordone, who is likely to lose against a far superior Democratic candidate, Annie Andrews, in South Carolina. So that's the way in which they're fucking up, not by doing anything that he could objectively object to.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Darlene, you know, she doesn't know about national security.
Speaker 1: She doesn't know anything about it. She admitted that during a debate. Okay, you know, good luck with that.
Speaker 2: But, you know, the funny thing about, you know, Trump throwing the entire Republican Party under the bus is, is that, I mean, he is the one that is, you know, is largely, I mean, he is 100% responsible for where we are as a country right now. He put up a Truth Social post declaring mission accomplished with Iran. I mean, this is also the detachment from reality thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He's making fun of Bush.
Speaker 2: For the mission accomplished thing, mission not accomplished. And he has, this says mission accomplished 2026 with Iran. Nobody thinks it's mission accomplished. Zero people think that.
Speaker 3: No, well, we're still at war. So, yeah. And tell that to the sailors of the USS Lincoln.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting strategy. But I think this is this is also part of what will eventually be his undoing. Now, strong men, people like Donald, who have always gotten their way and who have successfully used the strategy of humiliation to co-opt people and gain power over them. can only do that if they still are in control. And I think he's just used to that. And to be fair, Republicans have let him get away with it. They stay in line, even though he humiliates them all the time. Even people like J.D. Vance, you know, it's one of his favorite hobbies that he learned from my grandfather. But as his grasp of reality and his grasp on power weakens, they're not going to sit still for it anymore. I mean, we're seeing this with our allies. We're seeing this with universities who aren't caving in and bending the knee automatically anymore. So I think we're going to see a steady stream of Republicans also starting to push back.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And Fred Trump, he enjoyed a good humiliation ritual. Is that Yes.
Speaker 3: Next to money, my grandfather's favorite thing was humiliating people who were weaker and less powerful than he was.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree in that regard, it seems. Yeah.
Speaker 4: This one did not.
Speaker 1: This one did not.
Speaker 2: The other thing that, Mary, we should talk about, too, is, and I don't know, I should have asked you what your thoughts were ahead of time on this.
Speaker 1: We'll just do it.
Speaker 2: The way he has been picking on the trans community, the way he has been picking on trans kids, I'm old enough to remember when Donald Trump used to try to appeal to the LGBTQ community as a Republican, even though we knew he wasn't a Republican way back then. And the way these days he just totally picks on vulnerable people in the trans community, to me, it's one of the more disgusting things that I've seen take place during the second administration. It's not covered enough because I don't think our legacy media, national media, I don't think, I don't, I was doing a Google search.
Speaker 1: They don't know how to cover it. And I guess there's a, he was at this event. What was it yesterday in the Rose garden? His hair looked super weird, by the way. I don't know what you think. Maybe we can talk about it. His hair looks so weird, but he was talking about this.
Speaker 6: In reading and math that was under the last administration. Under the Trump administration, we're systematically ending every single one of these radical left betrayals, and we're putting the parents back in charge.
Speaker 1: They're the ones that love our children. They're the ones that should be in charge.
Speaker 6: So immediately upon taking office, I signed an executive order to ban critical race theory and to ban transgender ideology from public schools. That was a big deal. We banned men from playing in women's sports. That was so easy to do. I don't get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, some of this stuff is gross. I don't want to play it too long, but he does. It's almost like his favorite campaign thing now that he talks about.
Speaker 1: Your thoughts on this?
Speaker 3: Well, unfortunately, this stuff works. Republicans are very good at crafting these kinds of vile, divisive messages. And, you know, they almost always do. to target the most vulnerable among us. We just need to look at how they've treated and talked about immigrants. Now, here's the thing. I agree with you that Donald is largely responsible for many of the horrors that we're living through, but he couldn't have done it without his enablers in Congress and on the Supreme Court and throughout the judiciary. This is not his idea. He didn't come up with this stuff Somebody else did. And it works.
Speaker 4: It tracks.
Speaker 3: And shame on anybody who actually believes this vile nonsense. Trans people make up less than 1% of the population of the United States of America. Imagine what tiny percentage of those are children who want to play sports.
Speaker 4: With their friends.
Speaker 3: So they are endangering the lives, the physical and mental wellbeing of children, all to get people's votes by instilling completely unreasonable fear in their base. And it is so horrifying to witness this and watch it not be covered at all, or when it is covered, not covered properly. not to make it clear to people just what a non-issue this always was. Trans people have always existed.
Speaker 4: This is not new.
Speaker 3: So this was never an issue before. And then to have the president of the United States make up the most insane lies about schools, giving people gender surgery. It's maddening that anybody in their right mind would believe it and that it's been allowed to take root. Um, and I, I don't know. I, I just, it's shameful.
Speaker 1: It is shameful. And you know what?
Speaker 2: You make a great point, Mary, and that this did not originate in his head. Um, and the way he stupidly lies about it is, is kind of, kind of makes that point because he, he, it's so stupid and it's so outlandish and it's so exaggerated beyond the pale that it, it, it's.
Speaker 1: Laughable how dumb it is.
Speaker 2: It would be laughable if it wasn't so horribly tragic. And, you know, there are so many people in the very culturally conservative MAGA community who should be holding their heads in shame over this because they're the ones who put those talking points in his head.
Speaker 1: There's no question about it.
Speaker 2: And, you know, they must sit around the table, you know, one of the tables at the White House and gin up how, you know, they can rake the trans community over the coals and rake vulnerable communities over the coals for political gain.
Speaker 1: And it is, it's disgusting.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 1: And he uses them. He uses them, by the way. I mean, yeah. And they use him, I guess.
Speaker 3: Because, you know, I think, I think that the deal with the devil has been As long as Donald has power and as long as he's able to steal as much money from the American people as he wants and grift as much as he wants, the Nazis like Stephen Miller can come up with whatever cruel policies they want and Donald will sign off on them. I think that's pretty much where we are. He doesn't care. He doesn't care about other human beings. He doesn't care what the impact of these horrible policies are. might be, he doesn't care. So as long as he gets what he wants, and that is truly what we're dealing with right now. It's like the entirety of the United States government right now is in service to protecting his ego and to making him and his useless children rich while the other people in his inner circle inflict such extraordinary damage to our country and the people in it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It is astounding.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, when I saw Jared Kushner meeting with Hakeem Jeffries the other day, I mean, I was like, wait a minute, what is going on here? It is astounding how the kids have resurfaced in this White House. I remember when Jared and Ivanka, they ran off into hiding. They secluded themselves and they didn't want to go in front of the cameras and they wouldn't go to New York anymore. And now Jared Kushner's brother's buying the Lakers and Melania and Jared want to buy an island and Jared's meeting with Hakeem.
Speaker 1: It's kind of sickening to see that come back, too, I will say.
Speaker 2: And Don and Donnie and Eric making all that money in.
Speaker 1: A ridiculously corrupt way.
Speaker 4: It's all corrupt.
Speaker 1: And barren.
Speaker 3: What 19-year-old doesn't have the business savvy to make $ 200 million a year?
Speaker 4: Like, truly. Yeah, it's disgusting. It's despicable.
Speaker 3: And again, wouldn't be happening if we had a functioning government, which we clearly don't. It is not a good thing to have Jared Kushner or any of Donald's useless children involved in anything. And what Jeffrey did is inexplicable to me. Jared is not a member of this government. He doesn't have a job in this government. And he's one of the people who needs to be held accountable. So basically what Jeffrey is signaling here is that when and if the Democrats regain power, people like Jared Kushner are going to have a say in how we work things out. No, I it's mind boggling to me that you would do anything to legitimize or normalize or empower somebody as vile and traitorous as Jared Kushner.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But it is happening.
Speaker 2: And I think Hakeem Jeffries maybe touched the hot stove and he learned his lesson.
Speaker 1: And we'll see.
Speaker 2: We'll see how that plays out. But when you bring up the kids, it's extraordinary because they had all– I remember watching Don and Eric and Ivanka. They were all crying at that farewell ceremony to Donald Trump when he left office in disgrace the first time around.
Speaker 1: I was there at Joint Base Andrews.
Speaker 2: And the way they've all come back and just made a fortune to me, that– books could be written on that.
Speaker 1: It's just, it's, it's, it's totally insane. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's all been allowed to happen by other people.
Speaker 1: No question.
Speaker 2: Chiefly the Republicans in Congress who won't investigate it at all. Mary, great to see you. Thank you so much for coming on and wonderful to catch up.
Speaker 4: Thanks Jim. This is always great.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Thanks Mary.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Take care. Good to see you.
Speaker 2: The other person I've been wanting, I've been dying to talk to all week is somebody we profiled last year. when she was fired by the Washington Post wrongly for simply offering her views on Charlie Kirk. This week, she's been reinstated by an arbitrator. And there she is, Karen Atiyah, author of The Golden Hour on Substack.
Speaker 1: Karen, we're back together. It's great to see you again.
Speaker 4: Oh, man, it's so good to see you. Thanks so much, Jim. I was like, I have to talk to Jim.
Speaker 3: I have to.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I knew it.
Speaker 2: When I saw this, I was elated. I was so excited for you. And I thought, my God, something... something good happened. There's all this bad stuff happening and something good happened. And Karen, I I've been meaning to, I've been dying to ask you, do you want to go back to the Washington post? Like, are you going to go do that and go back to your job? Have you gone back in there yet?
Speaker 1: What's going on?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I mean, we're, we're what, uh, 48 hours or so since then.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah. As of now, um, I still have not heard from the post.
Speaker 5: Um, my goyers, my guild reps are the first thing that is on the agenda.
Speaker 4: We're working out the back pay part.
Speaker 5: So I was awarded not just reinstatement, but full back pay for the year.
Speaker 4: So that I was, we were all like, all right, y'all need to.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, that's important.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: At least one, it doesn't, obviously it doesn't account for how much, how difficult this year has been, but it's something. Yeah, to the question of returning, I know that's like the big, big question.
Speaker 4: I mean, here's how I see it, right?
Speaker 5: Like the reinstatement was I am supposed to be reinstated back to my previous position, which was columnist. And as a columnist, I was largely free to write about whatever I wanted to write about. So- I think there's still, for me, you know, a question, again, there's this expectation, this is legally binding decision, arbitration, that I should be restored back to that. I think the big question for everyone and for me, which I understand, is will I be allowed to write and say what I want, you know? So I understand that. Of course, I'm willing to go back to that work. Journalism is important. Writing is important. That work, obviously on Substack, I continued as much as I could to still keep doing that work. But the question is, what am I going back to and will I be allowed to have a free voice?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And Karen, I mean, we should remind everybody, I mean, you had a stellar career there at the Washington Post. and this is the Columbia Journalism Review did a story about you, and they said you were fired over social media posts about Charlie Kirk, and you went through arbitration. You're a member of the Washington Baltimore News Guild. You went through the arbitration process. They ruled in your favor, and it says here that you worked at the Post for 11 years. You were hired in 2014 as a digital producer in the opinion section, and you were the founding editor of Global Opinions, before.
Speaker 1: Becoming a columnist.
Speaker 2: I mean, I would think the Washington Post would want all of that back, but the Washington Post is a different newspaper right now that's been going through a lot of turmoil.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a different newspaper.
Speaker 5: Even the very person, Adam O'Neill, who fired me, he has been ousted or pushed out. So even the folks brought in to really reform, reform is, I'm putting it very mildly, but to reshape the pages in Bezos' wishes, have themselves found themselves out of a job, right? So there's still a lot that I'm, you know, still a lot of question marks, a lot of uncertainty, but yeah, I did good work. This is my time to say, you know, it was hard to have my.
Speaker 4: My, my work all that time be on trial. And I get it.
Speaker 5: I know a lot of people are like, look, these are corporations. They don't give a flying F about people. This is why we have independent media. I get that, but I'm human, right? Like, and as journalists, we put so much on the line to do this job.
Speaker 4: We don't do it for money. That's for sure. We don't do it to be popular.
Speaker 1: That's no, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It was, it was hard to have, The place where I professionally grew up in so many ways then accused me of becoming a threat to them, becoming dangerous to them.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: That was one of the crazy and outlandish things that the Post had said at that time. And it felt very Trumpy. It felt like they had been infused with a lot of Trumpiness. And they said that you had because of what you had put on Blue Sky about Charlie Kirk.
Speaker 1: That that had endangered people at the Washington Post.
Speaker 2: And it sounds like the arbitrator just tossed that out the window and said that that has no merit. But now that we've had a year to digest all of this, I mean, I will say that there have been lots of people who have expressed opinions about Charlie Kirk. And what you were saying in the immediate aftermath of when he had been killed is is not all that different than what people still say now. And to me, your opinion at that time, I didn't find it to be controversial then.
Speaker 1: I don't find it to be controversial now.
Speaker 2: And I think if you're going to talk about Charlie Kirk, you have to talk about the fact that he said a.
Speaker 1: Lot of bigoted things. I mean, he just did. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I mean, the chief, I think, basis of your complaint that it's a bit much to lionize somebody who espoused those kinds of views is That's not going to always sit well with every community in the United States. I mean, how can you not give voice to that? People can, they can put them on a pedestal all they want. This is America. But you also have a right to say what you want to say. I still don't understand how any of that was controversial.
Speaker 1: But I'm on your side.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think, you know, the close reading, even, you know, my lawyers who, because it could be the case, there are plenty of people who have already asked, well, maybe you should have softened. Maybe you shouldn't have said, you know, but we'll, we'll, we'll still represent you, you know, but I think for anybody reasonably reading into it, I specifically said, and it's the only, it's one of the very few things I said about Kirk at the time I was.
Speaker 4: Actually talking about America and the.
Speaker 5: Political discourse that was going on that day, which everyone was like, this is, has, political violence has no place here.
Speaker 4: This is not who we are.
Speaker 5: And I just had to remind people of, we had a school shooting that very same day. We also had the Minnesota lawmakers, Melissa Hortman, who had been killed in her own house a couple of months before. So that wasn't even the first political assassination that season, I guess. And so for me, it was, and my job has always been commentary on America and how we particularly talk about white men who coddle or who espoused hatred and violence, whether it was the white man who killed Melissa Hortman and her husband, or eventually Charlie Kirk, yes, himself, or even the.
Speaker 4: Man who killed, ended up being the one killing Charlie Kirk.
Speaker 1: It was a white guy.
Speaker 5: So I ended up, yes, being vindicated on those observations of America's pattern. But yeah, for the Washington Post, you know, this for journalists, we're supposed to be above the fray in terms of emotions and in terms of we're supposed to be able to look very objectively at facts, especially when sometimes that is uncomfortable. And so, yeah, you know, I mean, I think the Washington Post was just shown to have.
Speaker 4: Really acted quite recklessly.
Speaker 5: And they claimed, again, that my posts were such a threat, even though they never called me.
Speaker 4: To warn me about the threats. They never told me to take them.
Speaker 3: Down, actually.
Speaker 5: So, you know, you're threatening your colleagues, you're threatening us, and yet my posts are still up.
Speaker 4: So they were really just trying. It wasn't about security.
Speaker 5: They were just trying to get rid of me by any means necessary. And Charlie Kirk was the knife that they were going to use.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And they did it via email, despite the amount of time you had spent there. Um, you know, I, that to me was, was, I mean, that, that is not a, um, a very nice thing to do, obviously a pretty cowardly thing to do. They didn't want to have you come in in person and talk to you, but I mean, can you speak to how in was the Washington post under Jeff Bezos swept up in a moment that they can now get beyond?
Speaker 1: Is that possible? Can the Washington post be fixed?
Speaker 2: Do you think, because I will say I, you know, and I made a big deal about this last year when they defended Donald Trump knocking down part of the white house, there was this editorial that defended that. And I canceled my subscription live on my show.
Speaker 1: I was, I was so pissed off.
Speaker 2: I'm a DC guy. And like, that just pissed me off. Like January six pisses me. There's things that, and for him to unilaterally bulldoze part of the white house and the Washington post, the Washington post.
Speaker 1: To put out an editorial that says, Oh, well, no big deal.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe it. And so I canceled my subscription. I will say that I have seen, I don't want to call it a return to where they once were, but I've seen some good reporting there. I've seen some signs of life from the Washington Post. I'll put it that way. Do you see that too? Can the Washington Post be redeemed or is it beyond repair?
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, a couple of things on that note.
Speaker 5: First of all, and I want to be fair and objective the way that I see it. the Washington Post and have always seen, I mean, here I'm wearing red right now, specifically because these are the colors of the Washington Post guilds. And I would have even had an opportunity to fight this within the timeframe if it wasn't for the fact that the Washington Post guild and the Washington Baltimore News Guild had a grievance procedure and a contract, a collective bargaining agreement that ultimately that was what the arbitrator ruled that the post was in violation of that contract. So even going into arbitration, getting to binding arbitration, for me, returning to the post also means returning to those folks who were fighting for me, even when I was being silenced.
Speaker 4: So I just want to say that.
Speaker 5: And then to your point about there is, the news side has been, and I know this for a fact, has still been publishing great reporting, despite the fact that in February, Bezos made a move to cut something like 40-something percent of the newsroom, which was also a boneheaded and destructive move, right? So, so much of this is coming from management and coming from leadership. And we even saw behind the scenes that they were starting to quietly hire people back.
Speaker 4: Because they realized, oops, right?
Speaker 5: So that's why like this question of like returning back to the post, I see I'm not trying to minimize like the decisions and the direction, the very clear kowtowing to this moment that.
Speaker 4: Everybody has seen.
Speaker 5: I guess if there's something that gives me hope or even considering, it's the fact that there are people who are willing to at least fight for me. I know that there are people who are, who are really fighting to try to cover my story, even at the post. Wow. So, Like, I'm aware of that. And that being said, yeah, Jim, I mean, I'm sort of like, okay.
Speaker 1: You're still catching your breath.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's catching the breath.
Speaker 5: But I just found it, you know, and people might disagree with my logic and reasoning. And, you know, even last year when all these changes were happening and people were saying, why didn't you take the buyout? Why didn't you just take them over? Why didn't you resign? And I guess I just felt like it was more than just a job. I think seeing these changes and sort of running away in anticipation and making it easy for the silencing to happen, I think in my mind, I was like, I'm not going to participate in this, not even my own censorship, but I'm not going to make it I want to make an example of what it can look like to try to fight. And that's just A, who I am, and B, people might know me from being the editor who recruited Jamal Khashoggi, the Saudi journalist who was murdered in 2018. And I guess my experience being an editor of people like Jamal, others who've been jailed for their writing, I'm like, okay, I'm worrying about a job, HR stuff. I'm like, I've worked with people who've been killed, who've been jailed, who've been beaten. And so I guess my relative thinking of what safe is or what fighting means is very, like I see this, like they paid the ultimate price. Me losing a job, yes, it hurts, but it's also like, that's why I fight.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's, maybe it's Jamal. I don't know. Like maybe there's something to it.
Speaker 5: I'm just like, of course I am.
Speaker 4: I've seen the example of what it looks like when someone lives out their values to the very fucking end. Uh, right. So I don't know. Maybe it's, there's something there, I guess.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: And I, you know, I think that's a great message and a great moral of the story here. And we should note, uh, Norm Eisen and his folks helped you through this process. And it is worth highlighting that you fought through the arbitration process to get your job back. You fought against the Washington Post and you won, which, you know, not a lot of people can say. So that is a good thing. That is a very good thing. And it should be I think I think it should be celebrated. So kudos to you. But I wonder, Karen, and this goes to a little bit of what you're saying earlier. I mean, it's wonderful that you have perspective. and all of this and Jamal, you know, and other examples have, have shown you kind of the light in the way, but it seems to me that the, the construct is broken, that, that American media are broken.
Speaker 1: The legacy corporate.
Speaker 2: Media, billionaires owning, owning news institutions like the Washington Post, that whole system ain't working anymore in this country. It seems to me your thoughts on that. I know it's a very big subject, but, What do you think?
Speaker 4: I do think it's, I do think a lot is broken.
Speaker 5: I mean, and I'm not even, I can't even say that I think me going back there. fixes any of this systemic thing, which is why, like I said, there's some conversations that we need to actually have before, you know, like I've said, I'm willing to go back to this work. But I mean, what particularly this year has shown me and shown all of us is the power of independent media, the power of, like, people are, people have seen the mainstream media for what it is. People have seen the bowing, even, and you mentioned Norm Eisen and his team at Democracy Defenders.
Speaker 4: Also, shout out to Craig Jenkins.
Speaker 5: Who gave real direct legal support that these, whether it's the Paramount merger, whether it's the attacks against PBS, whether it's the lawsuits that We have mainstream.
Speaker 4: Media that is.
Speaker 5: Willing to crumble and willing to assemble under rich and powerful interests.
Speaker 4: And so, yeah, I think there's a tension, at least.
Speaker 5: For me, in the sense that, I mean, the very fact that I was even able to weather the storm for a year and not starve, frankly.
Speaker 4: Was because of.
Speaker 5: Being able to have Substack was because of being able to have an independent platform. So I know a lot of people are asking what's going to happen to my Substack.
Speaker 4: I'm not letting it go, for sure. There you go. No, not at all.
Speaker 5: So like I said, there's a lot we got to hash out, but I see no reason. I think, not only that, but mainstream media would be smart. to see where the winds are going. And yet they're holding on to a status quo that is proven not only economically not working, but also in terms of morally, structurally, people are like, if your job is to tell the truth, why are you guys partnering with AI companies and putting digital slop in your news stories? Why are you guys, you're supposed to hold truth or speak truth to power. Why are you running scared from not only Trump, but scared from libs of TikTok in.
Speaker 4: My case, right?
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 5: People are looking for bravery and people are looking for just honesty. So I have a lot to really, I'm glad for this win. I'm very glad for this win. I'm very glad.
Speaker 4: For the option, but there's a lot that I still have.
Speaker 5: To really, really, really, really think about in terms of I did have, I still have, you know, just this, this freedom to be good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, you know, I love it. And maybe, maybe I.
Speaker 5: Just, like I said, I mean, I'm not giving up a sub stack. I'm not going to give up the things that I built in this, in this year.
Speaker 4: But, but yeah, I mean, we have to also look at where, where can we do our best work?
Speaker 5: So my thought is, Can I do my best work at this Washington Post?
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: That is the ultimate question. Well, Karen, I mean, you're doing your job as a reporter.
Speaker 2: You're asking good questions, not only of what's happening in the world, but of yourself and what you should.
Speaker 1: Do in this moment. But please keep us posted. Let us know what you do, what you end up doing.
Speaker 2: And thank you for the example that you set over the last year. When I woke up, I think I woke up to the headlines. that this had happened in your favor. And I was, I was just absolutely overjoyed and hysterically happy for you. So kudos to you and Jeff Bezos. I hope you, you know, I hope somehow you see this and think long and hard about what you've done to the Washington post because people like Karen should be at the post doing great work every day. And Karen, I just want to thank you for what you and check out Karen substack, the golden hour.
Speaker 1: It's terrific.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 5: I'll still be, Updating everyone on the saga, on the behind the scenes. And, you know, if, when, walk through those doors, I'll let everyone know.
Speaker 1: I know. And you might be in red.
Speaker 4: I'm going to be wearing red for, I think, a long time.
Speaker 5: I don't, like, A, it looks good on me. B, like, you know, like I said, guild strong.
Speaker 1: Again, shout out to the guild.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: We need some good old-fashioned unions coming back in this country, I tell you.
Speaker 1: Guilds, unions, all of that.
Speaker 4: This is a huge labor movement victory.
Speaker 5: There are very few guilds and unions that can say they took on one of Jeff Bezos' companies and won. So this is pretty monumental. So I hope that this is, you know, back to your point, and I know you have to go, but This is why I hope tomorrow, you know, to be covering the labor, the union aspect of this, because I think if there's going to be a saving grace to mainstream and corporate media, this is an example of solidarity. Unions of like it was the union handing out flyers, protesting like the only reason I had a fighting chance against Washington Post was because I had a union.
Speaker 4: So, yeah.
Speaker 2: That is so great to hear. Well, Karen, good for you. Keep on fighting the good fight. Keep us posted what you do next. It's great to see you.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Jim. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thanks, Karen. All right. Congratulations.
Speaker 2: The wonderful Karen Atiyah. And, you know, that is kind of when you think about it, that is that's a statement there. She took on a Jeff Bezos company and won and she did it with a union, with a guild, with the newspaper guild. helping her along the way. My dad was in a grocery workers union. You know, you don't have that many unions around anymore. And look what's happening in America. Workers are getting the shaft. Workers are getting screwed. It's harder and harder to get by these days because you have a lot of giant companies and a lot of giant oligarchs.
Speaker 1: That have taken over just about every facet of our lives.
Speaker 2: And are they making our lives any better or are they making them worse? It seems to me that they're making them a whole lot worse. Um, and so congrats to Karen for that. And she made this comment that made me think about this gentleman I ran into at the gym. He, you know, Karen was talking about, uh, the, the joy of being independent and being able to do what she wants to do on her sub stack.
Speaker 1: And it's, it's one of the reasons why I.
Speaker 2: Love sub stack, love independent media, love being on YouTube, Apple, even on Elon Musk's. They haven't kicked me off of X. I'm on X right now. They haven't kicked me off. They may be throttling me, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: They haven't kicked me off.
Speaker 2: And I like being able to come on and do what I want to do and say what I want to say and have the guests on that I want to have on. I can have Mary Trump come on and she can, you know, kick, you know, Don Jr. and Jared and Ivanka in the shins and free speech. We all get to do what we want and say what we have to say. And it's reminding me, I was at the gym yesterday.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to go to the gym more and more, folks. I'm getting old. I got to stay in good shape.
Speaker 2: And a man came up to me and sometimes I don't know whether it's a good thing or it's going to be a bad thing. Sometimes they, you know, there was this Trump guy that came up to me at the gym the other day and I was like, get out of here.
Speaker 1: What are we talking about here? Anyway, not talking about that guy. Different guy comes up.
Speaker 2: To me and he says, I just want you to know that I really liked it when you described Pete Hegseth as the secretary of douchebaggery the other day.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh yeah, I did do that. That was pretty fun.
Speaker 2: And there's no fucking way I would have been able to do that.
Speaker 1: Anywhere else than right here.
Speaker 2: And so I will say that it is to see people take on these corporate titans, to see people take on these giant oligarchs and win. It's a lesson for all of us folks. It is a reason to have hope. And I was talking about this at the beginning of the show, and I'm going to talk about it here at the end of the show. And I'm going to drive everybody nuts because I'm going to talk about it between now and November 3rd.
Speaker 1: The steel is on. The steel is on.
Speaker 2: This is not Donald Trump threatens to do this or Donald Trump may do this. He is now intervening in the election cycle. It is happening right now. It is occurring as we are all speaking at this very moment. He is attempting to restrict mail-in voting in this country. As Mary Trump told me just a short while ago, Donald Trump himself engages in mail-in voting.
Speaker 1: He wants mail voting for me, but not for thee. And It is anti-democratic. It is un-American.
Speaker 2: It is now filtering down to the rest of the Republican Party and MAGA. You have a candidate for governor in Maine. We don't talk about Maine enough. We're going to talk about Maine a lot between now and November 3rd. Susan Collins is running for re-election for the 18,000th time. And somebody is trying to stop her, Troy Jackson, the Democrat there. The candidate for governor in Maine, Republican, said today, that he wants ice at the polls in Maine.
Speaker 1: Why do you need ice at the polls in Maine?
Speaker 2: You don't need ice at the polls in Maine other than to try to intimidate and bully certain communities in this country, Latino communities, I assume, and try to stop them from voting in this country.
Speaker 1: And I will say, we're not going to let that happen.
Speaker 2: We're not going to let that happen. And And Jared Kushner, you could try to meet with everybody under the sun in the Democratic Party.
Speaker 1: You could try to, hey, buddy, hey, pal, let's get together, have a drink, buy a dinner, let's.
Speaker 2: Meet behind closed doors, whatever corrupt, ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Bullshit you are trying to pull. It ain't going to work.
Speaker 2: It's not going to work. Donald Trump is underwater in 47 states and the District of Columbia right now. He calls all these things fake polls, but he has nothing left but to try to interfere in these elections. And that's why I said it yesterday. I'm going to say it again today. You've got to make it your job to vote. You've got to make it your job to make a planned vote. And this is the guy, he thinks right now, that he's accomplished his mission in Iran. He put out a true social post today that shows George W.
Speaker 1: Bush, mission not accomplished, making fun of George. Yeah, George W.
Speaker 2: Bush should have never put that flag on that aircraft carrier during the Iraq war.
Speaker 1: That was a massive blunder.
Speaker 2: But isn't this Donald Trump's mission accomplished moment?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Will this be on the nightly news tonight?
Speaker 2: Donald Trump standing over an aircraft carrier with an American flag, And it says mission accomplished 2026. I guess he's talking about because he took out the EITOLA there.
Speaker 1: You have not accomplished any mission in Iran. Iran is still a shit show. The Strait of Hormuz is still a shit show.
Speaker 2: You can't even get the reflecting pool right. You're nowhere near getting the Strait of Hormuz under control. And gas is through the roof.
Speaker 1: I had gas buddy on yesterday. It is the highest.
Speaker 2: The prices are at their highest at the latest point. that we know of since people started paying attention to what the price of gas was and, and people are feeling it. And so just take a look at this, absorb that, absorb the insanity of this true social post, this bullshit, true social posts, the Orwellian truth, social website of Donald Trump. He's trying to, he's trying to, he's trying to get us to believe it's not even Orwellian.
Speaker 1: It's just stupid. It's just insane. It's just bullshit.
Speaker 2: Nobody believes this, that he's accomplished anything. It's clownish, stupid, insane behavior. But that's all he's left with, memes and election meddling. That's all he can do right now. And this applies to the little asswipe incels in the social media department. All they can resort to are stupid memes. Folks, this is the best news. that all of us could possibly ever have. It means that the truth is coming. It means that accountability is coming. It means that democracy is coming. All of it is coming for Donald Trump, and we just have to hang in there for, what, 69 more days?
Speaker 1: That's your job. Your job is to.
Speaker 2: Hang in there for 69 more days, and then your job is to get out there and vote. Don't let them take that mail-in ballot away from you.
Speaker 1: Find a way. Call that buddy down the street. Call your Aunt Edna. Call your kids.
Speaker 2: Harass somebody to get you to the polls if you have a problem getting to the polls. But make it your job to vote. Make it your job to resist. Make it your job to hang in there. That's what I've been doing. That's what a lot of us have been doing. We've got to keep on doing it. We've got to keep on keeping on, folks. My thanks to Mary Trump today. My thanks to Karen Atiyah. My thanks to all of you. Please support independent media. Please check out our daily newsletter, the Jim Acosta Morning Memo. It's available to paid subscribers on both Substack and YouTube. And make sure you share, you like, you subscribe when you watch this episode, whether you're watching it on Substack, YouTube, listening to Apple Podcasts. Get out there, support independent media so we can continue to bring stories like this, the guests that we have on the show, the things that we're allowed to say. All of this is possible because of folks like you. So if you become a paid subscriber, you get immediate access to our brand new daily newsletter. It's available on Substack and on YouTube posts. Yes, you can read stuff on YouTube and not just watch videos like our show every day. You can also read our terrific new newsletter as well. But in the meantime, still reporting from Washington, I'm Jim Acosta.
Speaker 1: Make it your job. Your job is to go vote. Make it your job. I'll see you next time.