Speaker 1: Well, look here, it is time for the first Minnesota Goodbye of twenty twenty five. Do you like this time of the year. This time of the year, I'll be real honest with you, is depressing to me. Yeah, because the holidays are over, the days are dark and cold. It just kind of seems like it's a reminder that life ticks by and ticks by and ticks by, and so I don't like this time of the year. I'm in a good mood right now, yeah, but I just don't like this time of the year because it's fucking depressing and it's cold, and the holidays are over and you have to go back to work.
Speaker 2: I agree about the cold and depressing like weather, because this is like the first time.
Speaker 3: I've seen sun.
Speaker 2: It'll week last Saturday, yeah, which is bonkers to me. But I've always thought that January is like the longest month ever in general.
Speaker 3: It just takes forever for it to pass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I'm nerdy and I coach speech and speech starts like this Saturday, so I'm excited for that. But that's literally what I have to do in order to give my life purpose in the winter time.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, I mean I like winter, but I'm also a winter sports person with snowboarding. I don't snowboard a ton around here though, honestly so I do like it. But for me, the reason I like don't have a problem with it is because I feel like my personality is constant, like you should be doing something all the time, like you should be accomplishing something, and the shitty weather makes me feel like, cool, you can sit on the couch and relax and I don't feel bad about it, okay, whereas most other months of the year I will make myself feel bad about that. If I'm sitting on the couch, I still do it, but then I feel like shit about it.
Speaker 1: The only thing is the thing is we do we sit on the couch and then after because I experienced that over vacation, it was like, oh man, I've got like almost two weeks to do whatever i want, and I'm going to do this, and I can clean this, I'm need to build this and whatever. And I sat on the couch so much and scrolled on my phone. But I don't think that's you know, that didn't bum me out a little bit. We did go to Dave and Busters, so that was kind of cool. We got out a little bit here and there. I don't know, it's just that time of the year or you're kind of waiting for the cold to go away in the days to get longer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and not gonna happen anytime soon, which is also depressing.
Speaker 4: And I know that it's like cold and stuff, so going outside sounds miserable, but you're gonna feel so much better if you do go outside and you do cross country skis sometimes still right.
Speaker 1: I haven't done it yet because there's been no snow, but yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: Andrew's grandparents just gave us their old snowshoes.
Speaker 3: So and I've always wanted to do They've never.
Speaker 4: Done that before, so I like, I'm definitely going to get out and go snowshoeing for the person.
Speaker 1: Let me know if you like it, because that does not appeal to me at all. I saw Belinda Jensen and Bobby doing it on an old episode they were playing replays on Carolevin Saturday, and I'm like, what's the appeal of walking in snowshoes?
Speaker 4: Okay, getting out and being able to walk a little bit more comfortably without getting your feet. Yeah, I guess snowshoes you can still get your feet maybe damp, depending on what you're wearing with them.
Speaker 2: I just feel like a little cartoon character and that would be enough for me and be like, look at me my snowshoe.
Speaker 1: Well, look at that. Here's a pro tip if you are not cross country skiing, stay the fuck off of the cross country skiing trails. Every time I go cross country skiing, unless it's a very specific cross country place, there's some yahoo walking along making big old bootprints in the cross country ski trail and their grooms specifically so you can ski on them. And if you walk on them, you're fucking up the trail.
Speaker 3: You're fucking up the trail.
Speaker 1: Fucking it right up. So stay the fuck off of the cross country ski trails. And I see people on them and I think maybe one time, but I don't even if I maybe have made this up in my mind that I said, hey, you know what, you got to stay off of these. These are not for walking. But I don't think I said anything, probably, And I think.
Speaker 4: That it's okay if you do say something to someone, though, because I was at Fort Snellian Park Park one time and I didn't realize the trail I was on was cross country ski trails, because I've never seen those before on any hikes I've done, and so I realized the trail I should have been on was just like a little bit over. So I felt like a jerk and I moved, but I didn't know. So if someone would have said something to me, I would have understood, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, because they groomed them. There's like, you know, like I don't know, there's a like I say it, like stripes or whatever on one side, and then there's two what do you call it tracks on this side. Yeah, so you can whush whush, whush whish, or you do the kind where it looks like you're skating where you push, you know, with your feet. So anyway, stay the fuck yeah, yeah, all right, moving on to the next one, or actually first one. Hello Jenny and the Morning Zoo. Do you remember two thousand and nine, Day was ranting about how telekinesis didn't exist and challenged anybody to come down to the radio station and move a dice with the power of their mind. I was in high school skipping class with my best friend. All we heard was move a dice with the power of your mind, and we had it straight to the station to give it a try. We were promptly turned away because we did not hear the day was asking for someone to come to the studio the next day, not right at that second. We had a third friend listening to Katie able to be at the time, and we heard you mentioned that people were so excited that they were already showing up. Thanks for the great memories, all the best, Sean. I do remember that, Sean. I don't remember everything when somebody brings it up, but I remember a guy came in and we put a dice right to where your right elbow is, Bailey, and it was a guy probably twenty five thirty years old, and he kind of put his hands above the dice and sure as shit, that dice flipped over. Really, I was amazed. We do it again. I was amazed. And then he told me how he did it. Oh, there's something the magicians use called invisible thread. And it's like it's such a fine, fine, fine thread that you really can't see it unless you're right up on it. And he had it between his fingers and all he had to do was kind of get down underneath the dice and kind of flip it all and it looked really magical invisible threat.
Speaker 4: When I was younger and I'd be like laying in bed but the light was still on. I would like pretend and try to like use a power to turn the light off from across the room as hard as I could, and I still to this day do it. Sometimes I'd be like, oh, come on, did it never works? No, of course, it never works.
Speaker 3: I always try to use the force.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: You get so comfy sometimes you're like I want to get up, and so you just look and you're like, turn off.
Speaker 2: Oh, I do it with my hand because I put my hand out to try and control the force, and I think the lights will turn off.
Speaker 3: They don't.
Speaker 5: They do not.
Speaker 3: They never do.
Speaker 1: I don't do that because it would scare me if it actually works. And I'm being serious kind of because for example, if I was sitting like in the living room and I'm like looking at the remote and it's over, you know, on the coffee table, and I'm like, remote, come to me, and it actually worked, it would scare the shit because then it would prove that everything that's not possible is real, you know what I mean, everything from ghosts to the.
Speaker 5: UFO way, I'm gonna stop trying to use my powers.
Speaker 1: Maybody could ever and nobody ever has, nobody ever has, and probably nobody ever will been able to move anything with their mind. Now there are people who say they can, and there are magicians who say. You ever seen the magician trick where they hold a spoon and they use their mind to the spoon. Now that's not possible. I've actually got that trick at home. I've got several versions of that trick. But you think about if somebody could move an object with their mind, then everything is possible.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That makes I think that makes it more exciting because that means anything is possible.
Speaker 1: Wow, even very evil stuff.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, the stuff I would think of the evil stuff Bailey has, like the positive outlook.
Speaker 5: David and I have the like, oh fuck this bad thing that happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh. Hello. My first name is Ali. I'm a first time writer. I was listening to the podcast last week and heard Jenny talking about the shi WHI. I bought a different version called the Go Girl and that shit don't work.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 1: I bought it to use when ice fishing with my now husband and in laws. We went off to the Lake of the Woods. You stayed in a different house close to shore, and then during the day it drove miles to the day house to fish. Anyway, I went out to go to the bathroom and use the Go Girl for zippers on girl jeans do not go down far enough, so I had to pull my pants down and my ass was sticking out, but my shirt was long enough to cover it. And I hate being naked in front of strangers, so I just didn't. I didn't just squat. Then I started peeing. My pea flow was too fast for this Go Girl and it overflowed. I'm covered in pea from the waist down. So for the rest of the day I sat in the night ice house covered in pea, and I smelled because it was hot in there. Everybody was laughing. I didn't go back to change because it was too far to drive and I wanted to fish. I do not recommend this to anyone. Thanks for listening. Please send me a sticker ally, thanks for the review on the Go Girl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've never heard of that. Only the she we have I ever heard of, so I think the Go Girl's actually the one that I have. I don't know, but I'll give it to you anymore when I find it. Once I find it, I will give it to you. You can have it. Can I tell you guys that on this trip that we took over the holiday, it was a lot more difficult to do certain things like maintain hygiene and go to the bathroom. And at one night we were sitting in the casino parking lot, I had to pee so bad. But there's surveillance cameras everywhere, and we were staying overnight there. So I had packs just in case, like containers, and I use a cool whip container like multiple times on that trip to pee in and then like just dump it out wherever I could once I could, But like you know, you give a sample at the doctor, it's warm, so imagine you're living in a van slashing around container Like I had a cover obviously on it and whatever. But I just I felt pretty filthy on this trip. Still loved every second of it, but I just like there wasn't as many opportunities to keep like the hygiene gud totally.
Speaker 5: That the warm pol that's so gross.
Speaker 1: I read that you would wipe up with like a like a wet wipe or whatever. Baby Why yeah, baby wipes.
Speaker 5: We showered once the whole trip.
Speaker 1: I learned this at boy Scout camp that from a dentist that said, you can honestly go about ten days without brushing your teeth. Now, it might feel gross, but you're really not doing any damage to your gums or to your teeth. Good for ten days. Because you know, the boy Scouts and a lot of the adults too, you can't get them to brush their teeth. You know. We were in the on the trail for like twelve twelve days, Yeah, and I brush my teeth probably five days out of that. Yeah, but it was inconvenient whatever. But just so you know, if you go ten days without brushing your teeth, you're okay.
Speaker 4: That's the easiest thing to do on the road because you can just go to a gas station bathroom and brush your teeth there. It's just like usually you're not just not always having access to bathrooms though. So usually you can find a bathroom early in the morning and handle something like that. But you never know when you have to go to the bathroom. Yep, that just comes when it comes. So you might be thirty miles away from the closest bathroom and you were just out of your coolip container.
Speaker 1: Did you slosh? Did you make a mess?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: No, I was I was pretty good.
Speaker 4: I mean, we do have a toilet in the van, but the problem is then we'd have to maintain getting rid of the waste, so we try not.
Speaker 5: To use that.
Speaker 1: That's absolutely necessary yet.
Speaker 5: So we just we've never used it once.
Speaker 4: But I don't know, we might have to start using it on future trips, especially if we go like snowboarding in the van, because that'll be very cold weather. We won't be like doing anything outside.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Okay, gotcha. I was just remembering something. You made this come to mind. When I was a kid, my best friend Scott, he had a treehouse. Yeah, and he's like, yeah, I put a bathroom in there. And it wasn't a bathroom. It was like an infant's potty. Yeah, and so he yeah, so I pooped in it. And because he invited me to, he's like, yeah, brack. And we're probably in second or third grade and he said, yeah, I get a toilet up there. Now it's an infants potty, which is like, you know, it's probably about a foot high with a little toilet seat and a little you know, receptacle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like potty training for potty training.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so I pooped in it, and I remember he thought it was pretty cool that I pooped until we had to decide what to do with the product.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, we don't care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, He's pooping in front of each other all the time, And I remember the poor kid. He's like, yeah, i'll take care of it. So he carries it down the treehouse ladder and then he carries it to a pond to throw it in, because of course that's where you throw it. And I can still see the look on his face. Imagine the look on his face as he's carrying a porta potty of his friend's poop to dump it in the lake. And at that moment, I'll never forget the look on Scott's face. I've never told this story before, and I felt so bad for him that he was so proud that he had a toilet in his tree house, but now he's got to take his friend's poop and dump it in the lake.
Speaker 2: Well, I can just imagine him trying to like fling it, it gets stuck in the basin and then he has to like flick it up.
Speaker 1: I don't remember that happening, but it's very likely Ross all right. Next one, Donna writes in from Le Rochester. She says, you were talking about crazy things from your childhood, and that gave me a memory of having a party line. Does anybody remember that? That is where you have multiple people on the same phone number. So odd to think about that. We did have one when I was a little kid. A party line was when phones were fairly expensive to have. So you would have a party line with your neighbor across the street or up the road, and so if you picked it up, it'd be like, oh, you could hear the neighbor talking. They were using the phone, so you'd have to hang up and wait till they were done.
Speaker 3: Okay, like a communal phone line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, kind of like that. Yeah, I do remember that barely. We would also play old school Pong on a black and white TV. Lol. Oh, Pong was a miracle of modern technology. When I was a kid. You would go down to Radio Shack or go down to Sears and buy Pong. You know what pong is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the first video game ever invented.
Speaker 1: Pretty much, Yeah, I think so, And we got it and it's an actually pretty boring.
Speaker 3: Game, just kind of like tennis.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but it was a miracle that you could make something happen on your TV screen, So I definitely remember that. One oddball question for everybody, what was the food you ate growing up that you don't eat anymore? We would have spaghetti sauce on toast. Haven't had that in years, and I've got no desire, maybe because noodles were expensive. Donna in Rochester, does anybody want to handle this one? What food did you eat growing up that you don't eat anymore? I would say saltines and peanut butter.
Speaker 2: I mean I eat everything. I was decent eater in general. But there was a food when I was growing up. It was an Eggo brand, and they were called wah fulls and they were like Eggo waffles, but they were full of like jam.
Speaker 3: Essentially.
Speaker 2: They were so good. I ate those every single day. I would eat them all the time. I would eat them for breakfast, lungeon dinner if I could. And they discontinued that, so obviously I no longer eat them, and I am bitter about it. Every day, delicious full wowfuls of jam so good.
Speaker 1: I want you to look up an old food they don't make it any more, called jello one two three. Go ahead and look it up. Tell me a picture, and then describe jello one two three.
Speaker 4: So it's like a multi layered cup with different colors of jello.
Speaker 5: I'm assuming it is.
Speaker 1: Ooh yep.
Speaker 5: So it looks delightful.
Speaker 1: It was really good. You would make the jello and then it would separate itself into three different flavor texture, color layers in a cup, and then you put whipped cream on the top. And it was delightful. But they discontinued it, So that was one It bumps me out, Jenny. Did you eat anything when you were a kid that you don't eat now?
Speaker 4: I would say probably pop tarts. I lived off pop tarts when I was in high school because my dad, when my parents got a divorce, my dad just had the most unhealthy food at his house that the whole time. So I just got like addicted to pop tarts. And I really don't ever ever, I would never go to the grocery store and buy those. Maybe on like a random ski trip or something, I'm like, you know, it sounds good pop tarts, right, grab that to like have snacks or something. But I never eat those anymore.
Speaker 1: I used to eat cereal when I was a kid. I cannot tell you the last time I had cereal. It's not that I dislike it. I just don't go, Wow, you know it sounds good, A bowl of milk and thooty pebbles, Hey, you mind?
Speaker 3: Buy it? I just it just sits.
Speaker 2: It sits in the cupboard, and I'm like, why did I buy this freaking cereal? I have so much of it just sits around next one.
Speaker 1: Happy New Year, beautiful people, Jenny, your openness about mental health is just one step closer to destigmatization. Keep normalizing what very normal?
Speaker 5: What's very normal?
Speaker 1: What's okay? What's very normal? Thank you for that, vont Your ambition that your age is inspiring, Bailey, j You have consistently proven your amazing nerdism. Yes that is now a word, but your love of culture in theater is admirable. You make theater look cool day. Well, you're just Dave Ryan, Okay, and that's really all that needs to be said. Now. The obligatory pleasantteries pleasantries are out of the way, Dave. These boeing incidents seem to be happening more and more do you think the urgency on production is taken away from the quality of how these planes are being built. Here's to a wonderful twenty twenty five from Stacy. I don't know enough about it, yeah, but I do think that I read something the other day that said it's either they cannot hire the best people anymore, or they're not able to get the parts, or they're rushing. I don't know, but there's definitely a reason for it. But I will say, did you see the plane crash that happen I think in South Korea over the weekend?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, like one hundred something people died.
Speaker 1: Nearly everybody on the plane died.
Speaker 5: Wasn't there a few in the last week?
Speaker 4: I read the most about the one where it slid off the runway and crashed.
Speaker 1: Yep. There was probably another one. It might have been in Russia, but I'm not sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but there's not.
Speaker 1: Been a major plane crash really in the world in a long time, And there's not been a major plane crash in the United States in many years, like a decade or more. When I was growing up and into the seventies, eighties, and nineties, there was a major plane crash in the US probably once a year, wow, where several hundred people would die once a year or so, and anymore, there's just not And I could get into some of the reasons why. I'll give you one of the most interesting ones. It used to be that it was considered very very bad form and professionalism to question the captain. So, in other words, if you see the captain is tired and making wrong decisions, it used to be you did not question the captain. He or she's word was God. But then they said that's leading to a lot of accidents where people are afraid to question the captain and say, captain, you can't do that because then they could get fired, or it's just what it was culturally wrong. So now they encouraged the first officer to say, hey, captain, we shouldn't be doing this. So now you've got two minds in the cock instead of one.
Speaker 3: Means and balances.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so, but that's all I know about that. Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 4: There was so much flying over the holidays, so I saw so many people commenting like, why did I just see this news article as I'm in the airport ready to fly, like about the big crashes and stuff. I probably would have been stressed. If I was flying over the holidays with all these crashes that have been happening, I would have no doubt thought like I was not going to survive next this is it.
Speaker 1: Well, Carson was a little bit nervous. He flew back to la on Tuesday morning, and he's like, there have been a lot of plane crashes lately. And I explained to him, I said, you know what, there really aren't. They're so insignificant now you can't even really think about it.
Speaker 3: Seems like there's a lot because we're hearing about them.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: But in the grand scheme of how many planes are in the sky on every single day, there's not that many.
Speaker 1: It is true, all right that This is from Andrew, Hello and happy New Year from Ohio. I was listening to podcast over the break. Wanted to comment on bad teachers and urban legends. First, bad teachers. When I was in first grade, we had a lot of substitutes because they hadn't hired enough teachers or something like that. Anyway, my mom would pick me up from school at the end of the day, and one day by teacher came to talk to her. The teacher said, to my mom, with his straight face, completely serious, do you think Andrew might be blind? And my mother laughed and said, yeah, I think we'd probably know that by now. The reason she asked, apparently was because I had bad handwriting and wouldn't hold my pencil the proper way, So apparently that makes me blind. I will say, and I think that teachers will probably agree with this one. Most teachers are wonderful, but there's a lot that slipped through the cracks, and I think it's probably because they have trouble hiring enough teachers, so they'll hire anybody that's a hard job. Yeah, and they don't make a lot of money, so there probably are some bad teachers. It's kind of funny that she said, is he blind because he used handwriting was bad? Urban legends was interesting the one I was going to mention. I don't know if it's actually an urban legend, but my wife and I were eating apples the other day and I told her, you know, before they had toothbrushes, people would eat apples to clean their teeth, and she said, no way, it's not true. But I googled it and confirmed apples are nature's toothbrush because of the texture However, that doesn't mean you should do this in replacement of brushing and flossing anyway, That's all. I hope you haven't all right New Year Andrew in Ohio.
Speaker 4: I feel like either you've said that before about apples or maybe my my boyfriend Andrew has said that before, because I've definitely heard that about apples.
Speaker 1: I've heard it somewhere. It makes sense because of the texture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're delicious.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: One of the greatest inventions ever, the toothbrush. Oh can you imagine what they used before that? A piece of bark.
Speaker 2: That's what they do on Survivor. They like scrape their teeth with pieces of like twigs.
Speaker 1: Really going to do something?
Speaker 5: Yeah, given?
Speaker 3: Oh no, have you ever seen them like scraping their teeth.
Speaker 5: I think they just do that because, oh, it's to brush their teeth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're bored, so I'm gonna stick in my No.
Speaker 3: I think it's yeah, they're rudimentary toothbrush.
Speaker 1: And that is it for now on the Minnesota Goodbye. Thank you for listening. Love to hear your emails. If you got anything you want to bring up about bad teachers or urban legends or boeing, then send an email to Ryan Show at KDWB dot com. Here's a thought starter. Tell me about the worst airplane flight you were ever on. Maybe you run a horrible like a flight where the oxygen masks actually dropped and they said brace, brace, brace, you know, or maybe it dropped out of the sky and maybe it turned upside down, you know what. So give me your story about the worst airplane flight you were on as a little thought starter and we will see you tomorrow on the Minnesota Goodbye. Oh the email address case you need it. Ryan Show at KDIWB dot com.