Speaker 1: Final Minnesota Goodbye of twenty twenty four. Next time we do this will be on Thursday, January second, and the holidays will be over and we'll have the tree taken down and Christmas stuff put away. And isn't there always like under your tree, like the day after Christmas there's one lonely present that the person didn't show up or they weren't there, they couldn't make it. So there's one sad, lonely present sitting under the tree, like on January fourth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did a photo shoot on my tree last night because we don't have like a ton of gifts, because we don't do a ton with people, or my sisters handle the presence for like my parents most of the time. And so I took a picture of my tree before coming in this morning because I feel like your guys's gifts took up half of the Christmas gifts under the tree, and I wanted that like magical picture before I started giving away gifts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true, and your tree looks great with presents, but it looks so sad. Yeah, And then you know most people, if you're anything like me, you water your tree diligently until about December eighteenth, and then you kind of go fuck it because it's gonna die anyway.
Speaker 3: You're the only person I know that has a real tree. I literally put my tree out yesterday. Oh really, It's just a tiny, little, like teeny tiny tree and it's got fiber optic lights on it. So all I had to do was take it out a box, and then I just never went to grab the box. So I was like, you know what, I have time, So I went and grabbed the box and threw it out. And I felt bad because my cat sat and stared at it, and I was like, you could have been doing this this whole time, and I was a bad mom.
Speaker 1: I one time, I Susan and I were not together at this time. I don't know if you know this, but we've been broken up a couple of times and then gotten back together. I was actually engaged to somebody else for a while, but then one Christmas, I was totally alone, lived in a nice town home, but I didn't have a tree. I didn't want to buy a tree, but I had a snow globe with a tree inside of it. So that was my Christmas tree. Wow, that was peticlt it.
Speaker 4: In your hand shaking it back and forth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I set it up on top of the fireplace. It was fine. All right, Here we go with the emails all the way from Dodgeville, Michigan. Dave, Jenny, vont and Bailey. I've been a longtime listener but never emailed.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 1: Of course I've thought about it over the years, but never took the initiative. I felt they had to write in after hearing Jenny mention Mount Bohemia. Yeah, I live in the up about fifty minutes from Bohemia. If Jenny and Andrew decide to make the seven hour trip up, they can feel free to email me if you need recommendations in the area. It is a winter wonderland up here and really is beautiful. What did you say about Mount Bohemia, Well, we just we got.
Speaker 2: A season pass actually for Mount Bohemia because it's only ninety nine dollars.
Speaker 4: It was a ski area, Yes, it's a ski area.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we got a season pass and it actually works at like other places too, including Spirit up in Duluth. So we were like, well we might as well do that because we didn't go for like the big passes this year, like the Icon or the epic passes. But we are we don't know what we're doing yet for the holidays. We were going to maybe go up there this weekend already, but they're not getting a ton of snow yet. And maybe this person emailing disagrees, but Andrew says that it's only worth it to go there if it's loaded with snow, because it's very steep runs.
Speaker 4: It's almost all black diamonds.
Speaker 1: Oh really Okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: But it's like a grey It's one of the better places in the Midwest because, as you know, a lot of our ski hills here are more hills, not mountains and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've been in the Up one time, and I remember how thinking how sparsely populated it was. Y. It just there's not a lot of people up there, and I think it's because it's so remote. Did you know that to get to the Up, I think from before they built the macket is in the Macanaw Bridge, you had to take a ferry, Like back until the sixties or whenever, when they built that bridge, you had to take a ferry to get to the Up from lower part of Michigan.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was gonna say, you meet from Michigan because I was like, you obviously can drive there from Minnesota or Wisconsin, you just have to go a long route for Michigan. I will say that Andrew was telling me about mam Bohemia because I've never been there, and when we go, he says, you better get ready. It's going to be just a sausage fest. It like girls, I don't really go there, and still it's like when you walk in, they're all going to be like shocked. And the best part about it is like their promotional materials have like women in bikinis in it because they got this Nordic spa attached to it, and so it's like all these hot women in bikinis. And when you show me this, I was like, what are you going to the Hooters version of a ski resort?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And he's like, yeah, there's never girls there, and I was like, so they're just like getting people to come thinking all these hot babes are going to be there and there's it's a sausage vest.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna that's funny. I would have never realized that I'm going to throw out something that I think is true, but I could be wrong, and it's just kind of a thought, but skiing and snowboarding is not as fun as people think it is. Now stay with me, okay. I think people do it because it looks cool, and it is cool and it's a vibe. So I don't really enjoy, Like, is it worth it to me to drive? Like if I'm in Colorado to drive two and a half hours up to breck and Ridge, spend one hundred and eighty nine dollars on a lift ticket to snowboard for four or five or six hours, and to spend twenty dollars on a burger and seven dollars on a diet coke and then drive home two and a half hours. Is it really that fun? My answer personally, and I want you to turn this over in your mind a little bit. The answer is no, it is not that fun, but people do it because of the vibe, the fashion, the adventure being able to say I'm going snowboarding, I'm going skiing, But when I'm actually snowboarding down the mountain, which is the heart and soul of the snow sport, it ain't that fun. It's okay, maybe it's just me, Jenny. I know you disagree, show Okay, then go ahead.
Speaker 2: I really do. I think it is just as much of a hobby as it is for Bailey to go to the theater, for people who play pick a ball, for vont who likes to watch late night shows, whatever. I think it's just as much of a hobby because I find so al much join it. I the fashion aspect of it is my least favorite part. I fucking hate putting on snow pants and all the layers. I don't care what I look like when I go snowboarding. That's the best part about it, because you just put on a goggles and a helmet and stuff. But I really do love to snowboard. I think it's very fun. And yeah, I mean Andrew and I just like go by ourselves and maybe get a picture of us at the top of the mountain every once in a while. But I don't think we do anything that's like for social media. I mean supposed I do like a cool jump, and by a cool jump, it's like when I get like two inches off, like.
Speaker 4: And then you look back at the video and you're like, oh, wow, no, I don't.
Speaker 1: And people love skiing and snowboarded long before social media and long before you know, taking like you know, digital pictures up on the on the slope. I don't know. I just that has been my experience. I've liked skiing and snowboarding. But when I look at it now and maybe it's like an age perspective, there's so it's a five hour round trip. If I gonna go like here, I can go skiing over at Highland. It'll make me thirty minutes to get there from my house. Then I got to buy the ticket, and then I got to wait in the lift line and cold, I got snow going up my butt crack or down my butt crack, And to me, it's just not as fun as it should be for the effort that you put into it. And that's a personal thing.
Speaker 2: Have you ever done like a ski and ski out place? Yeah we have, hey, yeah, oh, Because I feel like that's a different experience and a lot of times it's very expensive, but like in Keystone, Colorado, it's actually very reasonably priced. Where you're in the ski village, you walk to the lift and you're right there. So like, I feel like you have a different experience when it comes to going to like the big mountains, because usually you're just saying Colorado and then you drive from your Colorado house, so you're not doing the whole experience of staying in the village and like stuff like that. That makes things a little bit more eat like easier.
Speaker 1: Okay, lad we've put it this way. I mean, what concert would love go see? Is it's like Taylor Swift might be your favorite concert, would you spend eighteen thousand dollars? There becomes a point where you go, I like Taylor Swift, but it's not worth eighteen thousand dollars. And I guess with me, I like skiing and snowboarding, but it's just the time, effort and expense is really what do you think? I mean, I get it. It's totally a personal preference thing, and so let us know who's right. I think I'm right. Next one, I want to thank you guys from the same person. I want to thank you guys for being a constant positive in my day. Over the years, you provided many laugh one of my favorite being when Dave says, you have to take a break, but we won't even know you were gone. I wouldn't have known it if Dave didn't tell us. Okay, that's funny. I will end this email before he gets too long. I'd love a staff writer sticker if possible. Thanks for all you do, and that is from Alana and Alanta. I will make sure that Secretary Brie gets you a sticker and shout out Secretary Brie for handling one of the more I don't know what tedious. Thank you, Jenny, so thank you so much. Next one, Tyler says, I got a slight complaint for Bailey. Oh she keeps saying the trip is from Northfield, but he is from He's from this I get it, which is next to Northfield. If somebody works in Dundas, I am sick to death of people thinking we are Northfield. Lol. Please give the attention the little town's need. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Yes, I understand that he is from Dundas, but when I met him it was because of the Northfield defeat of Jesse James days.
Speaker 5: So I want to make sure I plug Northfield. You know enough for that.
Speaker 3: And they're right next to each other. But yes, he lives in Dundas, right next to the two bars in town.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, so convenient, that's my boy.
Speaker 1: Happy holidays, y'all, Hoping each and every one of you have a great holiday season in New Year after today's podcast about servers and remembering orders. My questions for Jenny Jenny, I wrote in the other week about being super anal when going out to we eat, including checking the cleanliness of the restaurant, seeing how long a server takes, et cetera. My question is how many drinks could you hold in two hands? At my prime of bartending and serving, I could put three glasses in one hand and one in the other, so I could hand them out total of four.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the top for me. I usually didn't do the three in one hand because my hands aren't that big, but I always did two in one hand and one in the other. Or I have gotten three in one hand, but that's yeah, that's the top.
Speaker 1: I never carry a tray.
Speaker 4: What's up the tray?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Trays are so inconvenient when it put down to it yet okay, And I had one awful situation when I was training at like a new restaurant job, where I was holding the tray full of like ten drinks and I made the mistake of emptying one side too quick. Oh oh yeah, fell over from the weight onto the table onto one of the guests of a party of like twelve, and I was like, ah, they're.
Speaker 4: Never going to hire me.
Speaker 2: I was like in trading and like they were pretty the customers were pretty nice. But yeah, trays are not. They're really more inconvenient than they are convenience.
Speaker 1: I did know that. Interesting. Okay, let's see, he says at my primate bar attending I could Yeah, he says that. Okay, I think it's a little tanky when someone tries to bring out three drinks but carries them with each hand on either side like a triangle, holding for dear life not to drop them at that point. Get a tray. I also don't want your fingers in my diet coke, so you're sticking your fingers down into the glasses.
Speaker 2: No, you don't do that bringing them to the table. If you're clearing a table off. I've done that before, but like not when you're bringing them to the table.
Speaker 5: Gross.
Speaker 1: I have the same rule five and under. I can memorize, but more than that, I write it down so I don't fuck up. And when you get your little ship heads that want to split ten fucking ways right down, helps too. Sorry a little rant there anyway, Have a happy holiday until next time, Lucas ps. We still have a few days left in the year to get some dart licking in.
Speaker 2: Oh right, Gus helped me pick out a refrigerator at Warnerstown.
Speaker 1: Are you serious?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he works for them, so he helped me get my refrigerator. Crapped out this time last year, and it wasn't cold out at this time, so you know, you think you could just put your shit outside, so I had to get one really quick.
Speaker 1: Next one, Mike says, all y'all have been a highlight of my twenty twenty four. I cherish your authenticity. You just being yourselves and talking on the radio. I feel like I know you the people you are, not just an image portrayed on the air. I appreciate that you bring an admirable life perspective. There are times to be serious, but not all the time. Better to take life as it comes, enjoy the ride, and then be serious when necessary. Thank you for all of that. I love y'all so much. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, enjoy your time off, looking forward to twenty twenty five, and enjoying another year with y'all. Mike BFF, Thank you, Mike.
Speaker 5: I appreciate Mike.
Speaker 1: Happy New Year, Sean writes in says Will, what if all of your astrological signs and let us know if you relate to the description and traits of the sign. It's a fun way to learn about people. I'm a Scorpio. I truly don't know much about it.
Speaker 5: You're like the suxy one.
Speaker 1: Sex fiends I've heard were sex fiends or something like that, which is not true because I dated Cricket who was born on the same day, and she was far from a sex fiend.
Speaker 5: Of course, she was a lot younger birthday. What how romantic?
Speaker 1: Exact same birthday, one year older than me? What is your sign?
Speaker 3: I am a Virgo, which is apparently the ones that are very organized and kind of like anal retentive. And I feel organized but also like in a chaotic way, So I don't necessarily one hundred percent agree with it, but it does suit me.
Speaker 2: And I'm a Taurus and I'm just googled what characteristics are It says I'm grounded. I'm also stubborn, Yes, sensual, yeah, I feel like that does.
Speaker 5: Chores are strong willed well.
Speaker 2: It says tourists are very connected to their physical and sensory experiences and take their physical wellness seriously, So I would say that that does describe me.
Speaker 4: I'm very ah, what's the word?
Speaker 2: Just? Noises affect me a lot, Like I can walk into a room and hear like a million noises, whereas, like I think some people can tune things out. So I do think that, like my sensory ability is heightened, but I altill think that's because of anxiety.
Speaker 5: Bonta is a Leo and those are divas, and that checks out.
Speaker 1: Now that's funny because my brother is also a leo Leo and my ex fiance was a Leo and they're not divas at all.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's like an entertainer type and I just used diva because that suits fut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, hello, my favorite people. I hope your last day of work is going well. Question for Dave do you ever get tripped up by having two full names? Switching from Dave Ryan to Dave Flugelblinder on a daily basis, It's almost like two different people. I get tripped up sometimes from my married name and my maiden name because professionally I still go by my maiden name, but my legal name is my married name. I have clients who literally don't know my real name, because they all know is my professional maiden name. I imagine you probably go through something similar anyway. Hope you guys have a wonderful break and we'll hear from you next year. Anna, that's an interesting question. Not really, I don't have an example of why it does or does not bother me. But no, it's like my real last name, Kibbler. I don't try to hide it anymore because a lot of radio people don't. I mean, Jenny's last name is Lutenberger. There there's no damage from giving your real last name. But I chose Dave Ryan because you've got a chance to have a radio name, so I wanted a radio name. But no, I don't really you know what, When I'm with the boy Scouts, I'm Dave Kibler. When I'm hanging out with Ukulele Club, I'm just Dave. Dave. I'm just Dave. I don't really have a persona that's off the air. But when I pay bills and go to the dentist, I'm Dave Kibler. You know, yeah, I feel about like not that feel bad, but like fallen. She was fallin bon set and now she's pretty much fallen. Gottler. I don't know about on the radio, she's just Fallen Fallen Gottler or bon Set.
Speaker 2: I think she usually goes by Valan Gottler, but I feel like we always still call their fallI B. Yeah, okay, you know, like when she was on the show, I feel like it was always fallI B still even though she changed her last name to Scholar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, And I think that's all we have. Any final thoughts for the year for the Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Goodbye no thanks for the real extra content we do every day. Yeah, yeah, and contributing really fun.
Speaker 4: Actually it's your content, really, it really is.
Speaker 1: You're the staff writer. If you want to write emails for next year, you can be the first emailer for the new year. And if you want to go back and binge on Minnesota Goodbyes. There's some fun ones in there. There's an episode where we explain how dart Lick came to be and all right, and then there's I don't know, just randomly choose one. You never know what you're going to get, but it's one of my favorite things we do during the day, and so thank you because it's always fun to see what you have come up with. To write in for the Minnesota goodbye, and you can do that now or whenever you want over the holidays. Ryan's show at katie wb dot com. Happy Holidays,