Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Bill Handle show on demand on the iHeartRadio f this is KFI Kno, can you not actually use the music of the NFL.
Speaker 2: That's the minions?
Speaker 3: Bro Oh, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, come on, I okay, hey, before you get started, Willie Wolf, I wanted to correct something. Jennifer hit me up on X and said, you are wrong. I was reading from a story that only talked about Kamala Harris, former vice president, visiting the Palisades, and she corrected me with an LA Time story. The former vice president Kamala harris first stop actually in California was the Alta DA fire zone, and her husband, Doug m Hoff, was met with volunteers working for World Central Kitchen and handed out food. So I apologize, I stand corrected, and I shouldn't have opened up my gaping And by the way, without the.
Speaker 3: Fact, why did he work with World Kitchen? She's not going to run again. Why would he do that?
Speaker 2: Well, because maybe they're decent people.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I don't understand that.
Speaker 2: So you look confused. A correction is when we actually admit when we're wrong.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: We don't just gloss over it, Okay, all right, So thanks, Jennifer, I appreciate that now.
Speaker 1: Admitting you're wrong and maybe not making the best move in the world is having bought a super Bowl ticket a week ago, because super Bowl ticket prices have dropped precipitously. When since last Friday you would spend for the nose bleed seats eight dollars, today that same ticket is thirty five hundred dollars forty five percent drop since Friday.
Speaker 3: Hmmm.
Speaker 1: Ticket reseller stub Hub sees a similar trend. By the way, the average ticket price is down sixteen percent from last year, which is hundreds of dollars less than just a week ago. And the price of the and the price is low, low, and so sales have gone up. So why would you think the interest in the super Bowl is lower is less this year? Well because people are a little Kansas City just a little sick of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just there's just a yeah, there's too much of them. Third time out. I mean it's kind of neat. It's wonderful, but there's fatigue, there is it?
Speaker 2: One of them dating Taylor Swift? Yeah, yeah, I seem to remember hearing something.
Speaker 1: Something about that and this year, you know, no one's that excited last year, or was she going to show up?
Speaker 3: Was she not going to show up?
Speaker 1: Travis Kelcey remember when he threw blew the kissing her and did the the heart sign after either scoring or a great pass. Uh, you're not going to see this year. You're not gonna see Taylor swift to which he did last year. And that's flashed the camera and it says I love Travis. That is not going to happen, and people just don't care as much. Uh, there is I would think it'd be the other way around to watch a three go and the three peat of Kansas City winning. But his ego a three go yeah, a three peat. Yeah, it's a three go go three.
Speaker 3: Go for three. I make up these words.
Speaker 2: You are such a goofy pass I know.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the novelty of that relationship is kind of wearing off. Searches of the word super Bowl on Google Interest is down last year. Well, super Bowl searches jump each year, but at this point last year, this is twenty five percent down.
Speaker 3: Now, how much does a commercial cost?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, and they always they always tout the most expensive commercial at the best part of the game.
Speaker 3: Commercials at the.
Speaker 1: Very end of the game are nowhere near as expensive as the commercials at the beginning of the game because obviously, if there's a blowout, people just stop watching. Between seven and eight million dollars for a thirty second commercial, But wait a minute, there's less interest, Fewer people are going to watch the game. How can the price of commercials keep on going up because for the first time in years, people are watching.
Speaker 3: For the commercials.
Speaker 1: Remember it used to be where you'd watch a Super Bowl and you'd be as interested in the.
Speaker 3: Commercials as you would be in the game.
Speaker 1: And if the game was either boring and there was no scores or there was a relative blowout, people would stay for the commercials. They go into the bathroom or grab a snack and miss the first part of the game, but you don't miss the commercials.
Speaker 3: That kind of.
Speaker 1: Interest is back because of the I guess the anticipation of great commercials.
Speaker 3: That's the buzz.
Speaker 1: You know. Some phenomenal commercials have hit the Super Bowl. Remember the nineteen eighty four commercial Apple. I mean, to this day that may be considered the most iconic commercial that has ever been seen on TV. In general, much less a Super Bowl. So here's what we do every year. I watched the commercials. We come back on Monday, we grade the commercials and do a little survey right here. So I pretend that Amy and' neil and an actually count as they say, as I say, so, what kind of commercials did you like? And I snore through that when you talk. But we're going to be doing that topic on Monday.
Speaker 3: Okay. Orange juice.
Speaker 1: The demise of American orange juice, Now, think back, wasn't too long ago. Matter of fact, it still maybe to a smaller degree. In your family, orange juices was always is always part of the breakfast table. Affordable, great tasting, of course, full of vitamin C and levels of sugar. People tend to ignore that, or they certainly did in the past. But it's not so cheap anymore, not so affordable. Tropicana, one of the worst orange juices out there, has shrunk the bottles raised its prices in recent years. Since twenty nineteen, the price of concentrate has increased by about eighty percent. Inflation has not gone up eighty percent in five years now. Some of the cost is inflation. The other costs and this is where. Oh my god, I'm just saying if I said, we're gonna be Trump free if a certain president ever goes through with the tariffs threatened against Mexico and Canada, which we don't know if that's going to happen or not. Orange juice, which usually came from Florida, I remember orange juice was always Florida.
Speaker 3: It's not growing up.
Speaker 2: Though it was a big deal.
Speaker 3: It's not from Florida anymore.
Speaker 1: Orange juice is really a mix of international oranges.
Speaker 3: It's a blend. It's like whiskey. It's about it's like wine. And even the.
Speaker 1: Biggest orange juice producer, of the biggest orange producers aren't growing as much fruit. So the era of orange juice ubiquity coming to an end, much like the dodo bird. So why let's go through some of the reasons. There's something called citrus greening. Sounds pretty benign, doesn't it. Well, these are actually Asian little bugs that feed on orange trees, and they inject bacteria that floods the veins and the tree dies. The fruit while the tree is still producing fruit becomes rancid, misshapened, discolored, and within a couple three years you've got a dead tree out of your hand. And around the world, millions of acres of orange trees have succumbed gone and in the past twenty years, production in Florida's orange grows, which once supplied the majority of the juice that was consumed in America. Just like Neil said, it was made from Florida oranges. I remember those commercials. What was her name that was the spokesperson of the orange juice something Brian, Remember her, Anita Bryant, who was the most anti gay human being that has probably ever lived. Yeah, those were the days. No, she got a toss for that. And in the meantime, really yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: We can look that up. Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: And she was representing fruit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's very funny, very good.
Speaker 1: And so just to give you an idea of the past twenty years, production of oranges from the groves have declined ninety two percent.
Speaker 3: It's almost done or well orange groves.
Speaker 1: When I came to the United States in the mid fifties, the San Frano Valley ended at Recipa Boulevard, it ended at Resida. Beyond that it was all orange groves. Today it ends what Nebraska the Sanferano Valley. So and what's a little left in Those orange groves in Florida all got hit with hurricanes, so oranges were flying all over the place.
Speaker 3: It's a different world. So you know what's happening. Oh there's another one too.
Speaker 1: People that have orange groves or had them companies sold them off to developers because you made a whole lot more money selling it off. So tropicanas suppliers, the big one is just said up, we're done. We're not going to invest in our citrus operations and once the current crop is done, we're out of business.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 1: Citrus screening has no cure. So the fruit supply is making orange juice harder to produce, more expensive, And so what where do we get an orange juice? Well, it's no longer Florida, it's Mexico, Brazil. I mean there's still a little tiny bit Florida orange juice, but not very much. Citrus greening hasn't hit as hard as in Florida. Florida is the world champion of citrus greening. They about forty percent of flora of Mexico and Brazil have been hit with citrus greening. Florida ninety five percent, and that supply is uncertain. So the oranges that are coming in the only place that doesn't have citrus greening is Europe and Australia. However, bringing in the fruit from those countries is not the same because we have different tastes. For example, European orange juice with their oranges is more tart, it's not as sweet. So juice here, well, we all have a sweet tooth doesn't work in Europe and they have the fruit that generates that supplies this kind of orange us. So are we going to get more orange juice that doesn't taste as good? You know what the answer is, We're not going to be drinking orange juice very much, too expensive, tastes different, So the American staple of orange juice on the table is not going to happen. Also, even if none of that was happening, you know, the sugar content and people drinking tea and a lot more coffee, and yeah, I don't drink orange juice for breakfast, even when it was around.
Speaker 2: Oh not right after you brush your teeth. Oh that's the list.
Speaker 1: It is also orange juice concentrate, orange from oranges from concentrate is disgusting.
Speaker 3: Stuff.
Speaker 1: Orange juice has to be fresh squeezed with the pulp.
Speaker 2: I grew up with the concentrate. I remember that, and you peel open the can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh that's disgusting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we were we were poor, so yeah, that's how we got it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah I did.
Speaker 1: We were not richie, that's how we got and I like it. You go to the store like Gelson's particularly, and they have the fresh squeezed orange juice that they have those machines that look like automatic baseball machines, pitching machines. So you stay the hell out of the way because the orange just just fly out. No, those are broken machines. Those don't work. All right, that's a visual. That's a visual. We're done, thanks for that. No, you're welcome, You're welcome, all right. A story.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm not a Starbucks fans. I don't know if you are. I find the coffee a little bitter. But a lot of people are big fans of Starbucks. And it used to be that the badistas. And I think that's both male and female. The term bardista. Yes there is no male turn okay. Would Baristo would write little affirmations, not just your name on the cup, but also affirmations like have a good day, hello again for regulars, well wishes, you know all that stuff. Well, the new CEO is bringing that back. Starbucks has gone down in sales for the fourth straight quarter, and so they brought in a new CEO who says we're going to bring that back because we have to connect with people again. We cannot just be seen as a drive through. We we have.
Speaker 3: A connection and we have to keep on doing that.
Speaker 1: So oh, the condiment station, remember they took those away where they had the sweetener and all that. They're bringing that back because again connecting with customers.
Speaker 3: So I don't know about this.
Speaker 1: I've gone to Starbucks before and I thought of those little affirmations were just trashed. It's always the same ones. Do they boristas really mean it?
Speaker 3: Police? You know they were asked to do that. It wasn't real. There was one.
Speaker 1: Oh, and there were politics like race Together was one of them, which means all the races should join together.
Speaker 3: It's just little positive.
Speaker 1: Stuff about society and who are all the same and we all love each other. Uh yeah, yeah, pretty vomitous. So now you know it's a new politics. I'm willing to say, and some uh, some of these baristas say, you know, you can't make nice to uh, for example Valentine's Day to a man because of the possibility of it being interpreted as flirtation. You know, for example, you have a bardista who is writing, gets a cup of coffee and she writes Fred quite a few quite the fruit package.
Speaker 3: You have, Fred. You can't do that anymore.
Speaker 1: And the politics of today also is very different. Uh.
Speaker 3: The any positive view of.
Speaker 1: Racial equal of course is gone under the administration. So you're gonna see little affirmations white is right. That is what's going to happen. This is why I would last one day. No, I wouldn't last a shift, would.
Speaker 2: I making coffee for people?
Speaker 3: Yeah? No, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You couldn't work anywhere else. You and John Cobalt could couldn't get jobs anywhere else in life. This is it.
Speaker 1: I always make fun of John, not so much me, because I actually I was a lawyer and maybe I could go back to practicing.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Lawyer is lawyer ish?
Speaker 1: John I make fun of because all he has ever done is radio from the time he was very young and sports writer. Oh yeah, okay, okay, I'll buy that. But I've always over the years, I've always said that John couldn't sell pencils on a street corner if he wasn't in radio, which is the way I describe a lot of people, a lot of them radio. Yes, no, God bless you, but you're gonna see Starbucks coming back with those little oh have a good day, we love you, and the names whatever. For example, will I give my name, I always say Bill with three l's.
Speaker 3: And go huh huh.
Speaker 1: Also leave your name for if you go to a restaurant and you leave your name for the reservation and they call your name, I always say it's Bruno Hotman, and you'll have the person announcing, you know, on the microphone or on the speaker.
Speaker 3: Reservations for Bruno Bruno Hotman.
Speaker 1: Now occasionally someone will actually know what I'm talking about. He was the guy that was electrocuted for kidnapping the Lindbergh baby, and not too many people are aware of that. But when someone is a history buff, I hear someone just burst out in laughter.
Speaker 2: Well a one person, Yeah, it's worth every bit. You sound like a real treat. You don't put the name pot in there. And then they go pot pot party of five pot party, A five.
Speaker 1: No, No, that's no, no, yeah, that's too Monday.
Speaker 3: It's no. All right, guys, we're done with that. All right.
Speaker 1: So every year, what's the number one resolution? Lose weight and go to the gym. Usually the gym is a little bit higher in terms of number of people who say this is what I'm gonna do for New Year's. And I'll tell you, the gym's love this because the number of people who sign up and pay their bucks is astronomical. And the gyms are okay because after a month or two, guess what, all those people are gone. Now the first month, the people that use the gym regularly.
Speaker 3: There are two types of people. People go to the gym's.
Speaker 1: Regularly and people that sign up and go for the first month and it is not fun. And so the Wall Street Journal did this article and interviewed a bunch of gym goers and just folks who are regular gym goers and said, so what do you think. So one of the gals Heshi Brodie. No, he's a guy, Heshi. I think he's Jewish. He lives in New York. And he said, it's packed. Your favorite locker is taken. The treadmills are full, you have to wait in line for the shower.
Speaker 3: And that's he talks of his gym in Brooklyn.
Speaker 1: He goes on to say, listen, I respect your New Year's resolution, but I'll be impressed if you're still showing up in February. So we're into February seventh, most of those people are gone, and twenty five.
Speaker 3: No different than every year.
Speaker 1: Fitness is on the list of New Year's resolutions. Exercising was the most popular resolution this year. And this was a survey conducted by Health and Fitness Association twenty four Hour Fitness that they said the foot traffic in January has already exceeded all forecasts and expectations. Marlena Rodriguez was interviewed, and she's in Fort Myers, Florida. Most days she lives swights or she spins, and I mean to go into that. She's very small, very petite.
Speaker 3: During the month of January, she's lucky if she can find parking classes booked.
Speaker 1: Getting a spot on the machine is a sport of its own. Suddenly everyone wants to work out. It's really frustrating when you go every day and it's not just the number of people who go.
Speaker 3: It's what they do.
Speaker 1: There is I've been to the gym and I was a regular gym goer and I stopped because I was moving next week, next week, next week, next week, by the way, this week truly, And so I'm hooking up with a gym because yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I want to be in reasonable shape.
Speaker 1: And what she says newcomers don't wipe their sweat off the machines when they finish. They use the emergency stop button to end the session on the treadmill.
Speaker 3: They don't just turn it off.
Speaker 1: Phones at the gym, people are videoing themselves for Instagram, and people just sit there watching TV. Ryan Scott was interviewed and he's forty three, and he said big screens are a big problem.
Speaker 3: People watch the TVs that are there.
Speaker 1: So after a treadmill fight they had and the reason was that he watched the man stand and stand in front.
Speaker 3: Of the TV.
Speaker 1: At the weight machine and no one could get there and he didn't even bother. It's Jim etiquette, and so how do you handle this, Well, it's real, it's real simple according to most Jim goers, regular gym goers, and that is it comes down to respect and awareness for people around you, which I have no idea how that works. It is simply not something in my wheelhouse. But I have experienced the same thing. Oh here's another one. There's actually a book of actually a website of Jim etiquette. In first order of business, if you can lift all that weight, you can put pick it up and put it back. That is a big one. Leaving the barbells on the floor. All right, I'll buy that, sure, fair enough, Jim etiquette. And even I get really pissed off because I've been to the gym, and this is why I go to these small, smaller gyms. I don't go to the big gyms twenty four hour fitness. First of all, they're very expensive compared to small gyms that buy used, crappy equipment and small numbers of them, so I go there. Also, I can't take the hard bodies. I cannot watching those people in their twenties who have not six packs but twelve packs.
Speaker 3: They're abs.
Speaker 1: So I go to the gyms where people are fat, out of shape. So I feel a little bit better, you know when I feel and I've got body dysmorphia having been huge. My whole life, and I'm feeling really fat and some guy who weighs four hundred pounds is next to me.
Speaker 3: That makes me feel good.
Speaker 2: Do you mock them?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, get out the nautile is fatty.
Speaker 1: No, I don't say that. I just say, hey, you lose a couple of pounds. What do you think? Wow, that machine's gonna break you gotta be pretty careful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm uh. I've been asked.
Speaker 2: It hurts my feelings when you do that. By the way, Oh, I just.
Speaker 1: I do that to you constantly. How often do I make fun of your weight? How many times a day? I don't know a lot.
Speaker 3: I'm not you lost track, you don't pay attention or not.
Speaker 2: I'm just not sensitive to that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: When I make fun of your weight, I feel fat.
Speaker 2: Okay, soon, I earned this body. This is dedication.
Speaker 3: It is all right. We're done with that. Kf I A M six forty. You've been listening to The Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 1: Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.