Speaker 1: You're List Saints KFI AM six forty the Bill Handles Show on demand on the iHeartRadio f.
Speaker 2: It is the Bill Handles Show. He'll be back from vacation at on Monday. That's when he's coming back. President Elect Trump is asking the Supreme Court to block a law that would require TikTok to either sell itself or shut down. He wants as president when he becomes president on January twenty, he wants to negotiate a resolution to the TikTok problem that he can save TikTok while also addressing the national security concerns that we have about TikTok. So he's asking them to block the law and then he'll handle it and we'll see what they say about that. Lapt Lieutenant Mark Garza has filed a legal claim against the city. Now, the legal claim is the precursor to a lawsuit. That's typically what happens. You can't in most cases.
Speaker 3: Just sue.
Speaker 2: In most situations, first you file a claim, you say, hey, I think you did this wrong and I want whatever I want from you, and it gives an opportunity for the thing to be settled without involving the courts. But typically claims are denied in almost every avenue of life. So I'm guessing there will come a lawsuit after this. But here's what he's saying. So he was in charge of the Mission Division Gang Unit. He's in charge of that unit and the officers, some of them in that unit were under investigation last year because of allegations that they were illegally stopping people, illegally searching vehicles, and in some allegations, stealing.
Speaker 3: From the people that they pulled over.
Speaker 2: So Lieutenant Garza says in this claim that he went to the authorities back in June of last year and said, I think some of my guys are doing what they call ghost stops. That means you're pulling somebody over, you're not documenting it, you're not turning on your body camera or your dash camera, you're not telling dispatch where you were totally off the books with no record of it pulling people over. So you know, the LAPD has refined their body camera footage policies now. Back when this was going on, the requirement on Lieutenant Garza was to only look at body camera footage or sports footage if there was a complaint or there was a use of force or there was a pursuit, So if in fact officers are performing ghost stops, there's no way that anybody would ever see anything anyway. And he was saying, look, we can't just limit our review of this stuff, because then the way if people are misbehaving, it makes it easier for them to keep getting away with it. So he started to look into it, and that's when he says he learned that there were videos of officers breaking rules, but that they had been excluded from any audits of LAPD video footage. And what that would mean is every time there was an audit, they would get a perfect score because somewhere the auditors had been ordered to take out any incomplete body camera videos. If i'm gonna check on you, I'm only gonna check full encounters. If any part of that encounter is missing, I'm not even gonna look at it. So all an officer would have to do is to delay turning on their dash cam or their bodycam because they knew if they did that, it would be a partial video of the encounter and they wouldn't audit it. And also, the claim is that the people checking the videos for misconduct were told specifically if you see a gang officer doing something they're not supposed to do, just don't do it, don't say it, don't report it. So he went to the authorities and he said, I think some of these guys. This is in June of last of Yes, twenty twenty three int he had already, according to him, reported his suspicions. Now in August, two months later, it came out in an LA Times report that internal affairs at LAPD got a search warrant for the officers' lockers at the Mission Division station. That is, I'm not going to say it's never happened before. That's very rare for an internal affairs investigation to result in a search warrant for everybody's lockers. So now you have these officers are under investigation. They're accused of breaking the law, they're accused of trying to cover it up. There's a search warrant being served. They take Garza off duty. He's facing discipline, he's got a Board of Rights hearing coming up.
Speaker 3: He could be fired.
Speaker 2: And his former boss, the captain at the time, James Townsend and Argent and several former officers from this gang. There's also one officer who's facing criminal charges already for allegedly stealing a knife and some brass knuckles from two different people that he had pulled over. And he's pled not guilty. He's got a preliminary hearing coming. So here's the thing. He thought maybe these officers were doing something wrong. It turns out maybe he was right. But he's being swept up in the whole thing. And I guess it's whether you think it's fair that somebody who tried to bring it to the attention of the department is going to be punished the same way that the officers who did.
Speaker 3: The bad things can be punished. All right, here we go. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't think that people who love to read books could be every bit as hostile and annoying as sports fans. You would think of people who love to read books as being quiet, intelligent, wearing a cozy sweater, not making waves. But in fact, there is a battle royale going on between people who say listening to an audio book is the same as reading a book and other people who say, my name.
Speaker 3: Is Michelle Cube, and I will not stand for this. It is not the same. Not. May I interview you, yes about this issue? Yes? You may. Okay.
Speaker 2: Now I'm going to ask you some questions because I'm going to try to elicit the origin of your anger about the idea that somebody would listen to an ebook and then say that they read the book or counted as having read a book. So my first question for you is, are you currently in any kind of book club?
Speaker 3: I am not in a book club? No, okay?
Speaker 2: Are you currently do you peruse or engage in good Reads the website good Reads? I do not?
Speaker 3: Okay, So hold on, just sit tight for me for a second. Okay, okay, because I'm going.
Speaker 2: To talk about why most of the people who are arguing about this are arguing about it. And then since this I don't think would apply, well, lo, let me one more question. Are you or have you ever been involved in any kind of reading challenge?
Speaker 3: Yes? Okay, there it is. Then it's just wasn't It was.
Speaker 2: Not a good Reads no reading challenge, but you have involved in a reading challenge. Okay, So here we go, so for you, see, ladies and gentlemen, For some people, the reading of books has become a competition sport, and good Reads allows users to issue reading challenges. But reading challenges can come from almost anywhere, and they are very often in the form of read this number of books in this amount of time. So this is where it becomes an issue. There are people who say you should not if you're in a reading challenge.
Speaker 3: This means you're in a competition.
Speaker 2: And you listen to a book on tape, you should not be allowed to count it towards the goal of the reading challenge.
Speaker 3: You have to actually look at it with your eyes.
Speaker 2: Words on a page or maybe a kindle is allowed, but not listening to it. Yes, and now the reading challenge, where are they coming from if they're not coming from good Reads and you're not in a book club.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is going to sound weird, but it's something I've done all my life. It's a challenge I do myself. And it started when I was in elementary school and during the summer, my mom sent me to the local library, you know, for like you go to library for a few hours and some peace and quiet probably, but they at the time gave us a challenge. You know, you had to read like ten books for the summer. And ever since that time, I do this every year where I challenge myself to read x amount of books every year.
Speaker 3: That's where it came from for me. All right.
Speaker 2: So you don't like the idea of people who have said I did the ten books and they were all ebooks. You hate that. You think that's cheating. This is the This is the equivalent of doping the kindle.
Speaker 4: The kindle is fine. I prefer actual books. Oh you whaw, but the kindle is fine. Like I'm okay with the kindle. I'm not okay with the audio books.
Speaker 2: Okay, not fair. Now let's talk about why. Maybe you have a point. The idea here is that if you are listening to a book, you can do other things at the same time. You can put on an ebook and you can listen to it while you're making dinner. You can listen to it while you're out on your walk, you can listen to it while you're pretending to pay attention to your kids when they think you're playing with them, or even when you're driving around and you can't really read a book while you're driving. You can't really read a book while you're working out. And so the idea is that it gives audiobook listeners an unfair advantage because they are multitasking and someone reading a paper book or a kindle book. Can't do that. That's the argument. That's the basis for the argument. So, first of all, it would be irrelevant except that y'all are making the reading of books now a competition. That's the first thing, And the second thing is depending on the person. How do you know if I'm making dinner and listening to an ebook, how do you know that it's not my comprehension of the book that's suffering from the multitasking rather than the cooking. Now, I suppose that the point here is, well, what you can do is you can just put on an ebook and not even pay attention to it, but just you hear it like you hear that it's on, and then you count it as having read a book, as opposed to putting it on and sitting intently listening to it and counting it as reading a book.
Speaker 3: But can't. Here's where you come in.
Speaker 2: I'm going to challenge you, can't the same thing really happen with reading a paper book where you can kind of just scan it and not really be.
Speaker 3: Engaged, I'm sure, and still say I read it.
Speaker 2: And then somebody goes, oh, well, what about this scene in this scene and you're like, I don't really want to remember all of that because I did read it. Technically my eyes scanned each line on each page, but my I didn't internalize any of it. If you do a book that way and you don't really remember that much about it, have you read it? No, So what's the point of this challenge? It's like, who can perfunctorily scan a book or have a book on in the background.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just listen.
Speaker 4: I just think if you're going to say you're reading a book and you're listening to it on tape, it's not the same. It's not the same thing. It's not the same experience. It's not the same because in a book, you're supposed to lose yourself in a book, you're supposed to take it to the beach and sit there and you know, read and just you know, have that imagination. If you're doing too many other things, you're not really enjoying story.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I think people I think people have a good idea of where you're coming from, where I'm coming from, and I just do want to say this. I think that the that the good news here is that you that you have enough space that you're holding enough Did you hold space for wicket by the way, I did? Okay, so you had you had space for wicket. You have space for this ebook controversy thing, which means I'm gonna say that means your life isn't as bad as.
Speaker 3: It could be. No, it's not as bad as it.
Speaker 2: So let's so we're gonna I'm gonna say, let's focus on the fact that our lives could be worse and we would literally not have one synaps available in our brain to even think about whether listening to an ebook should entitle you to market as having read a book for the purpose of a challenge.
Speaker 4: And that's good. It is good. And by the way, I'm reading the Wicked Book books again. There's four of them.
Speaker 3: Oh dear lord, you people, then you know what I thought. The first one was great and the other ones get a little wonky, Yes they do.
Speaker 4: But I'm enjoying, you know, reading them again just for the fun of it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's probably good for Hollywood that everybody is so obsessed with all things Wicked, because otherwise, uh, Hollywood is struggling somewhat.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing.
Speaker 2: When there is a strike at some point there's always a settlement, and those settlements almost always, I think, always make production more expensive. So when there's a strike and work stops, studio executives take a look at, Hey, how much does it cost us to make a movie anyway? Maybe we don't need to make make it here. We can't save money by stiffing the writers anymore or the actors anymore, because you know, they went on strike and we had to settle and we had to give them something meaningful, So we can't really find cost savings there. How could we find cost savings?
Speaker 4: Then?
Speaker 2: Oh, let's make our movies and TV shows in other parts of the country where the other costs that we can kind of control can be controlled. We can move to cheaper places. And that is why you know, there's so much filming that goes on in Georgia now, and New Mexico is coming in hot as possibly the number two out of la place for film and TV production because Georgia has put a lot into attracting production for years. They have a no capax incentive program.
Speaker 3: Billions of dollars.
Speaker 2: Have been given in tax incentives to Hollywood studios.
Speaker 3: With no there's no limit.
Speaker 2: Bring all the production that you possibly can, and you'll get tax incentives for all of it. Now, New Mexico is coming up because they also have tax incentives. They also are closer to California than Georgia, and they are allowing massive buildout of production facilities. Netflix since twenty nineteen has invested over half a billion with a B dollars in productions in New Mexico and they are going to build a massive expansion. They have studios in Albuquerque and they are massively expanding them. Four new sound stages at least, and Georgia and New Mexico are not alone. California now and LA in particular are competing with at least thirty eight states that have some kind of tax incentive to attract film and television production. So yes, there's a ripple effect, because it's not just direct film jobs that suffer when productions go out of state. Productions typically don't. It's not that I have a bunch of experience with making films or television or any but if you're going to make a big movie, you're not going to necessarily bring every single person who's working on a movie from LA. Make up people here, people, costume people, production assistants are likely to be hired locally, where perhaps you can pay them less because the cost of living is less. And so if you're, say Deborah Humphries, who is mentioned in this La Times article, a makeup artist, you know, it used to be you could get work pretty easily, and then it got harder. And some of it is because the productions aren't happening here. Production down several percentage points in just in the third quarter of this year, five percent decline year over year third quarter twenty twenty four from twenty twenty three. And the question becomes, what can we do to keep that business here? There's a lot being done. So for example, Governor Newsom and Mayor Karen Bass, they want a double They actually want to more than double the amount of money in the tax incentive program.
Speaker 3: They want to more.
Speaker 2: Than double it to seven hundred and fifty million dollars that would be available every year in tax incentives for film production. They got to get it approved by state lawmakers. I don't know, you know how many people to Sacramento want to vote to allocate that much more money to something like this, But it could happen. And then Mayor Bass put together this Council made up of industry leaders in the entertainment industry to find other ways to keep more of these productions here. They want to streamline the permit process so you can film olive. If you have ever tried to go somewhere and run across, you know they're filming on a street and it's shut.
Speaker 3: Down, you gotta go around.
Speaker 2: I guess get ready for that to happen more often because it'll be easier to shut down streets and film. But look, according to the La County Economic develop In Corporation, the entertainment industry contributes over one hundred and fifteen billion dollars to the economy every year. That there are over six hundred and fifty thousand jobs related to this industry. That includes the dry cleaners and the delivery drivers, the couriers and things like that that are adjacent when.
Speaker 3: You have film production.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, man, I mean, you'd think it wouldn't be that hard to keep Hollywood in Hollywood until you realize that Hollywood, like any other business, is ultimately about the money. So if it becomes cheaper to be Hollywood in Albuquerque, then Albuquerque will be Hollywood all right here. We go. Now you have been warned, and I will say it again that this segment is not for children, and it is not for the exceptionally squeamish.
Speaker 3: Not so much. I mean this is a medical topic.
Speaker 2: So when I say it's not for children, it's mostly so that they don't get any ideas, but it is also because it is of a medical nature that perhaps you would feel.
Speaker 3: Your child is too young to know about.
Speaker 2: And it comes from the database maintained by the US Consumer Products Safety Commission. They keep a database of emergency room visits because they want to keep track of how people are getting hurt or what kinds of problems that they have when they come to the emergency room, to see if there are any patterns involving products that they should take a look at, as maybe these products are too dangerous or more dangerous than we thought.
Speaker 3: I can think of one example lawn darts.
Speaker 2: You may remember a lawn darts where these darts with metal spikes on the end, and you would throw them on your lawn and people started getting hurt and showing up in the emergency room, and eventually there was enough data to cause the Consumer Product Safety Commission to say, maybe we shouldn't have.
Speaker 3: Wand darts anymore.
Speaker 2: And so now please enjoy a reading from the US's of things that people put in their bodies and needed help getting out.
Speaker 3: Here we go. I will start with the backside.
Speaker 2: These are things that people came to the emergency room with. The grammars terrible. I should have thought about how to say it dramatically nicely.
Speaker 3: That was terrible too.
Speaker 2: People who showed up the emergency room had these things in their backside. Sometimes they'll put a quote from the note from the doctor. The music is great, feels feels so good, Chuck MANGIONI, that's why you do it all right. Patient states that him and his wife got carried away and a portion of a plastic screwdriver handle is in his rectum. Oh, somebody had to go to the emergency room for the removal of a xylophone mallet no cooking spray, I assume in in the can. Also speaking of a shampoo bottle, a lotion bottle, a can of deodorant, a broomstick, three triple A batteries.
Speaker 3: In another case, two double A batteries in another case, one D battery.
Speaker 2: Somebody presented with this problem tried to remove poop with a pen a few days ago, lost pen in rectum, a fifty cent piece, a scrub brush, a wire hangar, two plastic bottles, and a shotglass. That was the original title of becks to turn tables in a microphone.
Speaker 3: In the same place. Yeah, yes, time.
Speaker 2: Yes, same place, same time, same place, same bat time, same bat place, the tail of a toy dinosaur. Patient stakes he tripped in the shower and fell backwards and landed on a shampoo bottles who baby shark toy? Patient took klenazepam dose three times instead of once and has a battery in rectum and has nausea. Marbles, darts, a plastic lemon, a fake banana, a jello mold.
Speaker 3: Wait, darts like now darts? Move a dart?
Speaker 2: Yeah, now we will move on.
Speaker 3: Now we will move on to the front of men.
Speaker 2: If you understand what I'm saying, the urethra is the medical term. These are things that we're in people's urethras when they came to the emergency room. Handle of a plastic spoon, a plastic fork, a rolled up magazine page, the ring from a power aid bottle, a pen cap, a pen, a coffee stir a screw, a paper clip, a wax straw.
Speaker 3: A domino. How how did the phone is charging?
Speaker 2: I don't know, a phone charging cable, a thermometer, an air pod was it an AirPod or an AirPod pro? And finally, not to leave out the ladies, here are just a few things that people had stuck inside them that the ladies had stuck inside them in a place only a lady could. A plastic triceratops, a shot glass, a toy fire truck, an egg, a spork, a perfume bottle, a pencil, in another case, two pencils, and in the third case a pencil sideways, Oh my god, a curling iron, a dry erase marker, a spoon, a knife, a bag of soil. And the final one I will leave you with from the doctor's notes was roughhousing with her husband who lifted her up and accidentally dropped her on a hot dog cooker. Be safe out there, everybody. This is KFIM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my Show Monday Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.