Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kfi AM six forty The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon kfi AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Vice President Harris may soon announce her pick to be a running mate. Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer told CBS Mornings Harris will likely to sign on her pick to be VP in the next six or seven days. Whitmer, is co chair of the presidential campaign, shot down speculation she could be a possible contender for Harris's running mate.
Speaker 2: Let me let me point out Dick Cheney was also in charge of choosing a vice president for George W.
Speaker 3: Bush Ah the Dick Cheney rule.
Speaker 2: So we told you earlier that Al Gore has endorsed the vice president, which I have to I think this is the first ever Al Gore joke I've ever heard.
Speaker 3: Hi, Gary and Shannon, what do you call it?
Speaker 4: When Al Gore is playing the drums and doing a sophisticated arithmetic calculation at the same time.
Speaker 2: Algorithm that was I didn't the only that exists?
Speaker 3: It just right?
Speaker 5: It was the first here. So I'm so.
Speaker 3: Excited about Doctor Doom. It's not gonna be hard thing. It's a multi universe thing. You wouldn't understand.
Speaker 5: But yes, Tony Starks will be Doctor viol Doom.
Speaker 3: Understand Doctor Van Doom.
Speaker 5: He is an evil villain, but but he's one of those villains that gets along with the good guys every once in a while.
Speaker 3: You know how Catwoman and Batman got along every once in a while.
Speaker 2: But she was a bad guy.
Speaker 3: Kind of like that. I can't wait, Marvel Universe.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like Biractar and bumber Puss. You wouldn't understand that way.
Speaker 3: You don't have to explain it. You just say you wouldn't understand.
Speaker 2: Federal data show coronavirus levels here in California, Yes, CARDI uh, surging to levels we have seen for a couple of years now, indicating a wide and worsening spread of COVID.
Speaker 3: Do you know anybody, well, we know one guy. What's the difference you have it? I'm sure I have had it several times. Did you complain about it?
Speaker 1: I just kept going on. I just kept going on and keeping on. Hey, what's the difference between al gore and a slab?
Speaker 3: Of stone. Absolutely nothing.
Speaker 1: I have stumbled on a page of al Gorgio al Gore jokes.
Speaker 2: Yes, because listen, we right now, for the seven day period that ended the twenty second of July, still only fourteen less than fourteen percent of coronavirus tests are coming back positive. Right, one in ten people who think they have it actually have it. And for the Olympics in Paris, they have finally decided to treat this as any other sort of respiratory illness. If the protocol now among athletes in the Olympics is if.
Speaker 3: You feel if you feel a just put a mask on. That's it. That's the only thing that they require of you with a positive COVID.
Speaker 1: Test, then why was al Gore the best VP we've ever had? He replaced a guy who couldn't spell potato and was followed by a guy who shot someone in the face.
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, Alvy, here all day, sharp, sharp political humor there. That guy started it. It's not my fault. That's very true.
Speaker 2: The Park Fire, which is burning in now Butte Taima, Shasta and Plumus Counties, is by far the largest wildfire of the year. It's said to be the seventh largest fire on California records. I saw the number updated this morning to three hundred and sixty eight thousand, two hundred and fifty six acres. There is a small amount of progress being made and containment. They said it's about twelve percent contained. That was because temperatures were not one hundred and change over the weekend.
Speaker 3: They were only into the nineties. So that was good news.
Speaker 2: But they've talked, they've used different descriptors to explain how this thing grew in size. They're talking about eating up a square mile every minute. And I've just I mean the idea of how quickly this thing spread in the area where it started along the gully and Bidwell Park. They said that areas there and to the north of it that was the way the wind was blowing hadn't burned in anyone's memory. There's no record of those areas burning. So that's one hundred plus years if not more, of fuel that just will burn very hot.
Speaker 1: A chilling warning for Migelia and Paradise. They got an evacuation warning. I don't know how much Paradise has been rebuilt, but it was completely wiped out a few years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Chico paid the Chico newspaper or the Enterprise Record that's up there. Great paper they have talked about, and they've done a really great job of keeping it. I mean, it's it's Chico specific, so I think you and I understand all the terms and the street names and the places.
Speaker 3: And things like that. So it wouldn't be wouldn't unless you're a nerd. Go check it out.
Speaker 2: But they've done a good job of keeping everybody up to date. And Highway thirty two and thirty six way up there where they meet in the mountains, that's where this thing is headed. Now there's another fire, the Barrel Fire in Kern County that has lever leveled the old historic mining town of Havila. I think that's how you say it. This is another fire also started Wednesday, but it was in the Kern River Canyon, spread rapidly and ran through Hala Havevela on Friday night and took out almost the entire town. Nowhere near the size of Paradise or anything like that, but there was an historic built, historic place, appearing to spare only a few buildings, and as tender dry as we have seen the state over the course of the last years, right even with our couple of relatively wet winters. A guy was arrested in northern California last week after driving a truck without a front tire for four miles and starting several dozen fires alongside the road.
Speaker 3: Driving without a tire. You shouldn't do that. One more fire story? Are you?
Speaker 6: Did?
Speaker 3: You want one more al gore joke?
Speaker 5: Or no?
Speaker 3: We're done with that.
Speaker 2: Well, let me let me get this in there, because I want to be able to forget this. The study was released also today at the Alzheimer's Association International Conference in Philadelphia. What you did there exposure exposure of wildfire smoke increases the odds of being diagnosed with dementia more than any other type of air pollution.
Speaker 3: They said.
Speaker 2: It's the largest, most comprehensive review of the impact of wildfire smoke on brain health.
Speaker 3: According to its.
Speaker 1: Author, you're very much into brain health today. I feel like what happened this weekend?
Speaker 3: I didn't do. I didn't use it. You didn't I did. That's a problem that was really well.
Speaker 2: I read through I read through what was it a retirement planning booklet or something like that.
Speaker 3: That's why that's it's all making sense now. Because I was just trying.
Speaker 2: My wife had asked me the other day about what pension the union has, and I thought, I have no clue.
Speaker 1: I should look. Could you could you write me up a one No, No, I cannot because I have no idea. I do not pay attention.
Speaker 3: You got to pay dues for one right, I should write that check. You ain't gonna get no pension, and you put no dues in, you ain't gonna get no pension.
Speaker 2: That's the first page. That's what it says on the first page. You don't pay no dues, you ain't get no pension.
Speaker 1: While you're on it, let me know what our contract says. I don't know where the hell that is either.
Speaker 2: The French government says multiple telecom lines have also been hit by acts of vandalism, affecting FRA lines, fixed and mobile phone lines as cities around France hosting the events of the Olympics. The scale at this point, they said, is unclear, but they do not believe it has affected any Olympic activities. And then also we'll talk more about this when we get into the Olympics segment at eleven thirty or so. But organizers apologized yesterday for part of the opening ceremonies from Friday that featured what they said was an apparent re enactment of Leonardo da Vinci's The Last Supper.
Speaker 1: I thought it was the Greek ceremony of Dionysus. Yes, now, thank you for taking that from me there. I was going to do horrible things to it.
Speaker 2: They It included a woman with this crown that was looked like she was in the role of Jesus. Was a drag queen's yes, okay. The woman in the center was a woman, and then gay guy and one guy with his nuts hanging out.
Speaker 3: Whoa yeah, real yeah, and it was and then and then.
Speaker 2: That was crashed by the guy in blue wearing the head dress of fruit. That would have been Dionysus, Yes, the Greek god of fertility and wine and revelry.
Speaker 1: They're apologizing now to choot church groups.
Speaker 3: On On de Camp's calm.
Speaker 2: She's a French spokesperson for the Olympics, says clearly there was never an intention to show disrespect to any religious group. If people have taken any offense, we are of course really really sorry.
Speaker 3: The guy showing his uh is this the guy the.
Speaker 2: Black the black shot no, no, no, no, he's over on the other side over Oh oh why.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's too much escape? Escape? Why didn't that work anymore?
Speaker 7: Ago?
Speaker 3: There's escape? Where's my control? All the leap?
Speaker 5: Wait?
Speaker 1: That's not okay? Just genitals on display like that. That bothers me more than anything else.
Speaker 3: Okay. Who wants to see a stranger's nuts?
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: And it was broadcast for the entire world to see French nuts of.
Speaker 7: Course, right, I too loved Tony Stark and when he died an endgame, I was so sad, but I grieved, I processed, and then for them to bring him back, I just what what is happening? It kind of reminded me of watching soap operas with my mom growing up, Like that person died twice, How are they back?
Speaker 3: Marlane, Marlaine, It doesn't compute in.
Speaker 1: My mind, the one whose eyes turned red and her head spun around and days of our lives. Oh, and then there was Hope. Hope was missing for like my entire lifetime and then came back.
Speaker 3: But you knew who she was. Well, my mother watched that show. Oh.
Speaker 1: I haven't spent any time with real focus on a soap opera. But yeah, it's very confusing. Uh boy, we are looking for a swimmer. This is devastating Tower eleven there in Huntington. Yet two teens went swimming in Huntington Beach near that lifeguard Tower eleven, and one did not make it back to shore. Huntington Beach Fire says they were alerted at about nine pm last night. Divers and swimmers searching for this teenager were pulled out of the water about ten forty pm. We don't know the age, the identity, the gender of the swimmer at all. This is kind of near I pulled up the location. It's kind of near where the junior lifeguards meet there in Huntington Beach.
Speaker 2: One story says it was a he. I mean that's but that could change. We don't know if this is. We're still talking about teenagers that are given the information. Basically they did go back in the water this morning. We know to continue to look, but that's I mean being out in that water for ten hours, twelve hours. Yeah, multiple agencies, obviously state lifeguards are out there. Huntington Beach life Guards Marine Safety is leading the search with the assistance of Newport Beach Lifeguards. Have been helping out. State park lifeguards have been helping out. So there's a lot of eyeballs out there, but at this point, no good news to report in this ongoing search.
Speaker 1: There will be a press conference with the Coast Guard at about eleven thirty hour time. That just came in from the Coastguard's office.
Speaker 3: All right up next.
Speaker 2: I saw amazing videos and steal images from this traffic jam from over the weekend. Completely absolutely dangerous traffic jam that the CHP and Caltrans really couldn't do much about. Unless you were very angry and stuck in traffic, you think it's their fault.
Speaker 1: That's one of the most maddening things is when the road is shut down and there's no exit for you to get.
Speaker 3: To, which is weird because you think about it.
Speaker 2: It's not like you're driving up Highway fifty to Lake Tahoe where you've got a cliff on one side and you know, trees on the other. There's some flat road and desert around you, so you could if you had to get on the other.
Speaker 3: Side of the road. It's that lack of control thing that is also Yeah.
Speaker 2: All right, Gary and shann if you were out there by the way in that absolute mess from over the weekend. Let us know, send us a talkback on the iHeart app or if you're listening on your smart speaker, just say hey, Schmas schmesa, send a message to KFI and then she'll record it and you can'll come in.
Speaker 3: We'll play it. Escape Escape, What are we doing here, folks?
Speaker 2: And last night they kept referring to Simone Bile's lower extremity because she had her ankle was taped. Yeah, want her left ankle I think was taped, and she she did a great odd They kept and they kept doing it. Oh, you can see that she's fighting an injury in her lower extremity.
Speaker 1: That documentary, by the way, on Netflix is exceptional. It's only two episodes at this point, and it just it shows how well it shows the human side of people that we think of as just athletes.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well she, I mean she did a lot to move that need a little bit, a lot to move the needle a little bit. She pulled out of the Olympics in twenty one.
Speaker 1: I mean she right, Well, it was a hole in her head type of a thing.
Speaker 3: And they go through it.
Speaker 1: If you're in your head and you're doing full speed vaults like that you could die.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Not good, not good. There's no.
Speaker 2: It's not like the yips where Chuck Knoblock can't throw the ball the first from second exactly.
Speaker 1: And I think that there was a lot of heat on her. Oh she's just gonna quit on the team. She's just gonna go oh oh, she doesn't want to go to work today, she says, she's just gonna quit on them. It's like, no, you're It's that the same thing as making widgets. Your life will be on the line if you land wrong, like on your neck, and you'll be paralyzed forever.
Speaker 3: So that you.
Speaker 1: Bob on your couch in you know, Ohio. Yeah, Well, it's just it's funny how everyone is so critical of these athletes, right they all know you clear it from football players all the time, you know, Like, Okay, I've got Bob and Ohio on his couch yelling at me to catch the ball. Bob can't catch that ship in his face. Meanwhile we send his lap.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: I remember seeing that at training camp when we were out there a couple of years ago, where they had basically a pitching machine and the receivers were walking towards the machine, and they catch a ball and then take another step closer, and catch a ball and take another step closer, and that ball was being wid jugs football machine machine.
Speaker 4: I thought that the Olympics was for young and upcoming athletes, So why do we send James Lebron. He's too old and his son is young but not good enough nailed down.
Speaker 3: I think the oldest Olympian this year is fifty nine. He is thirty nine. James Lebron might be early for I think.
Speaker 1: What she meant was she was just gonna say James, and then she wanted to specify that it was Lebron James, because James is a common last name.
Speaker 3: If you say so, I trust you, Okay.
Speaker 2: So something happened over the over the weekend that caused massive, massive problems. All lanes of fifteen between La and Vegas had to be shut down for forty eight hours because of a big rig accident.
Speaker 3: Now what happened was this was a chemical hazard.
Speaker 2: They said this big rig was carrying lithium batteries when it overturned, caught fire and created the hazmat situation. So by Saturday night, the truck still burning, still having the fire had been extinguished, but not until late Saturday. HP said all of the northbound lanes were closed on Friday. Everybody turned to alternate routes, such as the forty, which was the huge problem. The forty was the one where I saw all of the information that wasn't I should say, the information didn't get to the people who were trying to go on I forty about how crazy it was gonna be.
Speaker 5: Gary Shannon, Oh, that was the wrong one.
Speaker 3: Let me play the other one over here where she says, I.
Speaker 6: Know, Gary and Shannon, you just brought up the I fifteen being shut down. I'm a trucker. You should have seen the I forty. It was way worse. So everybody and their neighbor with all the truckers were on I forty completely.
Speaker 3: Stopped, Yeah, completely stopped.
Speaker 2: And they talked about people climbing out of their cars to do the duties on the roadway or on the median whatever it was. Some people driving through the desert to try to get around all of this.
Speaker 3: You know, where there were no roads, people were doing their duties on the median.
Speaker 2: Many wrote that authorities said greatly mishandled the situation by failing to warn people to steer clear of the congested roads, said the time estimates on the GPS maps were incorrect, potentially dangerous conditions where cars were overheating, they're running out of gas or electrical charge.
Speaker 3: Well, and I bet a lot of people didn't have water. Well, you don't play.
Speaker 2: That's the thing is if you well, I don't know about driving to Vegas, but if you're just hopping in the car to go somewhere, I don't know, Like if you're just driving up to Gilroy or something like that, do you you automatically plan to have a gallon of water in your car? Usually have something to drink, right, maybe a little water bottle. You're not there for hours.
Speaker 1: Well, and you also think you can stop at a gas station.
Speaker 3: Or whatever if you need something.
Speaker 2: They said that the single vehicle big rig crash happened just before six in the morning Friday near Afton Road exit between Barstow and Baker, so northbound traffic had been rerouted in the area to get onto some of the southbound lanes. Then the southbound lanes were initially closed after the crash. They were able to reopen on Saturday morning. They tried to move. This is the thing. They tried to move the truck from the freeway should out to the open land. I mean, there's nothing out there that's going to burn other than a couple of shrubs. There's nothing out there, So it would have been safe for them to drag it farther away from the freeway itself.
Speaker 3: But they couldn't do it.
Speaker 2: It was seventy five thousand pounds and even the big, big equipment that the San Bernardino County Fire District has was not able to move this thing. So this was off gassing of the hazardous chemicals from the lithium ion batteries and yay, I cannot imagine. I cannot imagine. But don't go on, don't go to Vegas on Friday?
Speaker 1: Are we allowed to start talking about our adventure?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Is it is it bad that we both just came up with the same word.
Speaker 3: Oh, it'll adventure. Well, let's talk about it at the top of the hour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be Apropos and Swamp watch big adventure coming up for our show, Hee Wee's Big Adventure.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's also a whole series of terror in the Sky stories that Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've got people that are groped, teenagers being groped. We've got the secret language behind those ding sounds. I mean to tease, like everyone's excited to hear about teenagers getting groped. That didn't come out right, you know what I mean. Also, a flight is diverted mid air due to a passenger's disgusting act.
Speaker 3: You'll never guess what he did. Was it urination?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: Was it dolphin time? Dolphin time? Oh like by himself time?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, what's even more disgusting than that? Feces vomit? Maybe will continue? It's time for terror in the skies.
Speaker 5: Zero to make rather get off my plane?
Speaker 3: Rader Rogers once our vector, Victor. I haven't had with these munty pipe snakes on this money. It's Gary and Shannon's Terror in the Skies on ko. Well, let's start here.
Speaker 2: This Boston bound United Airlines flight had to be diverted yesterday.
Speaker 3: Passengers and crew began vomiting.
Speaker 2: God, this is horrible due to a passenger involved bio hazard incident that forced an emergency lands.
Speaker 1: Do you have that affliction where you see or you hear somebody. You probably not, because you have kids and you kind of outgrow it, but before you had.
Speaker 3: Kids outgrow it. You just have to control.
Speaker 1: Here's someone vomiting. I totally have this, and then I like, I just can't do it.
Speaker 5: This was the pilot making the call, is a doctor, And I talked to the crew and sounds like it's quite bad.
Speaker 2: Back there.
Speaker 5: It's still really bad. The crew is vomiting and passengers all around are far as for bath starting, et cetera. And it sounds like, I think, you know, twenty minute flight to Cleveland is probably the better option instead of going an hour to straight ahead the box, especially when it's kind of being a biohouse. I think we need to probably get just played on the ground.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine being on an Exorcist flight like that where just one person starts and then I feel like we've seen in this movie before.
Speaker 3: Isn't it like it's like naked gun or something. No, it was stand By Me? Was it the pie eating contest? I haven't seen stand by Me since I am going to ignore that you just said that.
Speaker 2: That is one of the classic scenes in American cinema where the guy makes himself sick with the castor oil and then eats the entire wins the pie eating contest.
Speaker 3: Okay, I lost you.
Speaker 2: Houston is where it took off, and again you heard the pilots say they could go to Cleveland.
Speaker 3: It's just a short time away.
Speaker 1: I don't think i've ever seen that movie in entirety. I think I started a Stephen King fan.
Speaker 2: I am diverted to Washington Dulles International Airports afternoon.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I found it. Triangle of Sadness. It's a recent movie, Triangle of Shit, and it's where everyone on this luxury yacht starts vomiting due to seasickness.
Speaker 3: And it's awful, but it's hilarious.
Speaker 1: It's one of those things where you're laughing so hard at your stomach hurts and you start crying.
Speaker 3: Where everyone's parfect. Yeah, it's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Air Canada flight from Morocco to Montreal canceled over a flight attendant's response to a passenger who asked for a blanket. The flight attendant tried to remove the passenger from the plane and threatened to call the police before other passengers threatened to deplane in solidarity.
Speaker 3: The airline employee has heard.
Speaker 2: Saying you will behave or we will get off and I'll tell the captain right. And what's amazing is that the everybody else on the flight took the fellow passion your side. Usually they tell them to shut up and applaud when they get when they get taken off. A woman is now claiming that her cancer came back because she was not allowed to fly with her emotional support dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not how it works. I'm pretty sure. I'm not a doctor, but that's not how it works.
Speaker 2: She said that Jet Blue had on a flight from Lax to Fort Lauderdale's. She had bought round trip mint tickets from LA on Jet Blue, which would be business class, and they filled out the attestation paperwork to bring their dog, a twenty three pound Frenchy back. The outbound flight on September tewod went smoothly, the dog flew at her feet, and then pre boarding on the return flight, they were questioned about the dog and not permitted to pre board.
Speaker 3: God, why did I just do that?
Speaker 1: I just looked up vomit scenes from movies to see what I'm You know that there's a.
Speaker 3: Lot of vomiting movie It's funny.
Speaker 1: I mean it is funny in a lot of circumstances.
Speaker 3: It can be funny. Yeah, in some it's really sad.
Speaker 1: There's a bunch of Reddit forums of why is there so much vomiting in movies? Could you imagine just being a keyboard warrior on a Reddit posing the question like where's your life at?
Speaker 3: At that point people that's their social network.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I mean I'm not defending, and I'm just saying that's what that's how people do it. That's what they think. They think they're making friends with people. I see they're not.
Speaker 3: Other people that are curious about vomiting in movies.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's a a somebody who put together a video specifically plane Language p L a n E. Plane Language, about two million views on TikTok already. According to the clip, when a single ding chimes in the cabin, the plane's getting ready to take off or land. Two dings means that the plane's safe altitude to use electronic devices other provisions. They said, it's like a secret language between the cabin crew and the cockpit.
Speaker 3: How did people not know this? I don't know. To me, it is a common sense. Of course.
Speaker 1: It's the way that the crew communicates to the captain and vice versa.
Speaker 3: And don't they just pick up the little phone.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, for instance, a high to low beep means that one flight attendant is signaling to another or that the flight deck is trying to reach them.
Speaker 1: You never want to hear three beeps, guys. Three means an emergency.
Speaker 2: Kiss it goodbye, ding ding ding, kiss it goodbye. Oh and then a teenage girl groped by a man from Alta Dina bord a red eye flight from Lax to Orlando. She is suing Delta Airlines, saying that flight attendants were serving this guy alcohol even though he already was drunk when he boarded the plane, and they did not restrain him after the assault.
Speaker 3: Good for her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, I will sue on your behalf if you get groped on on your next flight.
Speaker 3: Who's my next flight? I think we're going to Texas first. Oh, yeah, you're going to Texas? Yeah, and then I'm going to Chicago.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app