Speaker 1: Teenage lobotomy.
Speaker 2: I want to be sedated psychotherapy.
Speaker 3: My brain is hanging upside down, brain drain.
Speaker 2: Why this fascination with the brain.
Speaker 4: We're screaming out for help.
Speaker 1: I hope you get that.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Amusing Jews, where we celebrate Jewish contributors and contributions to American popular culture. I'm Jonathan Friedman.
Speaker 4: And I'm Joey Angelfield.
Speaker 2: Producer engineer Mike Tomren is working somewhere behind the scenes. Amusing Jews is a project of a Dot Hoverine Congregation for Humanistic Judaism, the Jewish Museum of the American West, and the Atheist United Studios. Hey, Joey, Punk rock is Jewish, As today's guest is written, punk reflects the whole Jewish history, repression and uncertainty, flight and wandering, belonging and not belonging, always being divided, being both in and out, good and bad, part and apart the Shpilkes. The nervous energy of punk is Jewish.
Speaker 4: We're delighted to talk with Stephen Lee Bieber, a freelance journalist and author of.
Speaker 2: The hebgb's at CBGB's.
Speaker 4: A Secret History of Jewish Punk. Stephen, Welcome, to amusing Jews.
Speaker 3: Oh hi, thanks for having me. Great to be here.
Speaker 4: What led you to explore the Jewish history of punk rock?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm Jewish and I grew up at a time when it wasn't that cool to be Jewish. You know, there was Barry Manilow, and as much as I like Paul Simon, it wasn't rock and roll, and yeah, Barbara Streiss and and the like. But I liked rock and roll, and I did not have heroes as I were, So, you know, like most Jews, I wouldn't say I do the jew but you do kind of notice when when one crosses the radar. And I was at some point in the I think it was the early nineties when Perry Ferrell of James Addiction was talking about being into Cabbala and then Madonna was into Kabala and Britney Spears and Heat magazine. It appeared, I'm like, what the hell's going on? Jews are cool all of a sudden. So I started thinking about looking at this rise and you know, Jewish hit and as I started looking at rock in general, it hit me, which I'm kind of amazed had never hit me before, how Jewish punk was. I mean, it's from New York. New York, for all its cultural cachet, and like the center of American culture, has really had very few rock movements. There's the San Francisco scene, there's Athens, there's you know, grunge and Washington and Seattle, but New York really is only known for punk. And why because well it's the most New York of rock movements. And according to the Lenny Bruce formulation, it doesn't matter if you're Catholic, if you live in New York, you're Jewish. And I think that's so true of punk. Not only were once I started to look more closely, a lot of the people whose names you know, were changed for stage the stage, they were Jewish, but their attitudes were so Jewish, you know. Even some of the non Jewish acts growing up around Jews and being New Yorkers were jew Asque, let's say, not Jewish, jew Esque. So that's kind of how I ended up there. And then, of course the connection between Nazi imagery and punk and Jews seemed counterintuitive at first and then so obvious, like you know, like hiding and playing sight and a you know, follow the money of the kind of mordergate that the deeper I went, the more it became a parent that it was. It was really something integral to the beginning. It is a punk if not the most intricral thing.
Speaker 2: The spot the jew tendency that a lot of us have, myself included. I mean, it can be done on a very superficial level where you're like, oh, isn't that interesting, isn't that interesting? But when you start to analyze the individuals that we spot as Jews, it's very common that there's something really quite universal in the Jewish experience that is expressed through this person. I know that you found a lot of that in the punk movement.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yeah, no, I you know, I grew up in a Jewish family. I love my family, but it was always like, oh so and so is jewious, like so, you know, unless there's something that is meaningful about it, And that's what I was looking for. Is there a common thread here other than an accident of being from the same background? In other words, ha, did that background affect then? And that? Yeah, that's that's what really is. From that sort of cultural studies component of it, you know, American studies and I pe, you know, kind of looked at all the aspects of cultural Jewish and it's not Judaism, uh though there's you know, a bleed over there's you know, there's some relationship, but cultural Judaism, you know, that idea of being outsiders and rootless cosmopolitans, right, who are critiquing the culture and making jokes about the culture and making jokes in part because the culture they have to deal with is oppressive and in the history of oppression for sure. I mean, the Holocaust is just the cherry on top of the history of Jewish oppression. It's the it's the ultimate. But there are plenty others. Inquisition, you know, Babylonian exile, you can you know, we all know, we can find any anyone anywhere in the world. People have hated us at some point badly. And the Holocaust, though it is so such an impactful cultural trauma for Jews and really for Western civilization. You know, that's I think why it doesn't matter in a sense if you're Jewish. You know that old Levi's Rye commercial. You don't have to be Jewish to love Levi's right. You don't have to be Jewish to get how horrible the Holocaust is. But it sure doesn't hurt to have for it to strike a little deeper. Yeah, yeah, I think it.
Speaker 2: Does hurt, But it hurts so much because it's us.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: You know that Lenny Bruce is considered the patron saint of punk rock?
Speaker 3: Why is that a lot of the people who I interviewed and I talked about one hundred and fifty people in addition to doing you know, research and books and past interviews and that kind of thing, but so many of them mentioned Lenny Bruce as being really important to them growing up. You know. So these were punk is early to mid seventies and New York and so these are people came of age in the mid to late sixties, right or even earlier. And that's Lenny Bruce's height, the popularity. And he was synonymous with Jewish, synonymous with New York. He was cool. He was you know, a badass, as they said, a smart ass and funny with an edge. You know, he's all social critique, no taboos. And you know Chris Snine I remember from Blondie, who was partners, never buried, but partners with w Harry for before the band started and through the end of the band talk to me about how he kind of recognized later in life listening to Lenny Bruce again talking about his own marriage to Honey Harlowe, the shick Sagata and how you know he was attracted to her in part for that and Chris jokingly but also you know, with some truth saying that that resonated. You know, that's kind of I realized how much that is like Neian Debbie. So they really just kind of came up in conversation, and then I started asking people because enough people mentioned it, and it sounded like just about everybody loved Lenny Bruce. You know, maybe except for the DA at the time in New York, at most of America, but all the all the punks, all the punks liked Lenny Bruce a lot like an adult, one of the adults they could look up to, as they put.
Speaker 4: It, enjoining the show, click like and subscribe. You argue that these largely Jewish musicians, a generation removed from the Holocaust, were the first to truly break the silence. How did that play out?
Speaker 3: When I wrote the book, I didn't actually even see a further connection that I've since kind of come upon, and that is the the Eichmann trial. Nineteen sixty one was not. It was a pivotal event in Holocaust history because up until the Aikman trial, people generally did not talk about the Holocaust. Immediately after the war, it was all but too painful to talk about it, and it was among Jews considered somewhat shameful. It was really hard for survivors in that sense to not only have had to go through that, but then to be on some level not supported. I don't mean they were shunned in exile, but people didn't want to advertise that aspect of Jewish is, that victimhood as they saw it. When Eichman was brought to trial, the idea for David Bengerien and a lot of the other Israeli leaders was to use the trial for justice obviously, I mean, who deserves to go on trial more than Eichman, but to publicize why there was an Israel that was that there was a need for a haven of sorts, because there were people like this out there at very high levels of power, and you know, it could happen again. So that trial was one of the first, if not the first, really broadcast on network television, and there were excerpts every day and in New York they were not just excerpts. It was like, I don't know if any either you're old enough to remember the Watergate hearings, but those were on TV would ruin the cartoons on certain days, and Galligan's Island, you couldn't say.
Speaker 2: For us it was the oj Simpson trial.
Speaker 3: There you go, there you go equivalent, Yeah, you know, we preempt this message, and so preempting that message in New York for long stretches of time was the Eichmann Trial, and it was graphic, I mean on purpose. You know, they really were honest about what had happened in the camps and in Germany and general. And the the children who were watching that were the punks. You start to see beginnings of the late sixties into the seventies, lots of movies, television shows, books, uh directly about the Holocaust and indirectly just about Jews. Jews only become very interesting to people. Philip roths all Bello, you know, Bernard Malamud and writing on television. You got you know, Bridget Loves Bernie Rhoda Holocaust, the mini series with Meryl Street and Theater Sophie's Choice, Woody Allen Elliott Gould leading men, I mean jus is leading men and would have been unheard of at one time. Elliott Gould, Dustin Hoffman, Richard Dreyfus, lots and lots of very openly not just coded Jewish, they were clearly Jewish. Springtime for Hitler, you know the producers mel Brooks movie in which he uses the Nazis for humor, and that's what the punks did and a lot of people misunderstood at the time and thought they were just being insensitive offensive. Well, I mean, one can make the argument it's kind of insensitive, but one can make the argument just as Jews have always done to cope with oppression and difficulty, They've made jokes you know today and I guess the equivalent would be, you know, black people using the N word, they reappropriate it, turn it into something that doesn't have the power anymore because who is using it, Who's the one that's in charge of it? Well, they are, And that's a lot of what the the Nazi imagery and punk was about. And some very funny jokes about you know, Nazis. They saved Hitler's cock, they put it in a box. Was one of my favorite lyrics from one of the punk de heads of the time.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm also thinking how Jews were not the only ones who suffered at the hands of Nazis, and so I think maybe Jewish punks were sort of dabbling in intersectionality as opposed to exceptionalism. You know, they weren't saying Jews were the only ones who suffered, but they were sort of leading the leading the charge of the you know, anti fascist, fuck Nazi kind of movement.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. I mean, if you want to call the original punks the original antifa, I think you're absolutely right. It was fascism in general, and it wasn't just the Jews. It was the punks in general recognizing that, you know, this kind of tendencies, I mean, especially once Reagan came around in nineteen eighty. But you know, the punks. I think one thing people forget because punks hated hippies, they always say, But a lot of the punknks, the early punks were hippies, but they were at that end of the hippie movement that was more yippie, you know, Jerry Rube and Abbie Hoffman politically revolutionary, and they wanted to bring back that element of rock and roll, the basic rebellious nature of rock and roll, the democratic impulse in right anybody can play it, uh, if they have something to say, and the passion to say. All of the punks were, yeah, addressing not just the Holocaust and history, but the potential of Holocaust thinking ideology, you know, right wing eyey ideology.
Speaker 5: To to to create darkness and and uh, you know when when Ramone wrote this, the Ramone song Bonzo Goes to Bittberg about Reagan going to a cemetery in Bittberg, Germany, honoring the SS.
Speaker 3: It's different to honor fallen drafted soldiers and who fought, you know, in World War Two. That's understandable. It's not their fault really, but the SS you had to you had to pay your dues and prove you're really loyal. And I mean, what are we doing honoring the SS? You know? So yeah, and you know, like I say, if in the book, but I would even I think stress it more now if I were to go back and revisit it, the non Jews who also were very impacted by the story of Western civilization and what I was capable of. If you want to just put it into a bigger umbrella. You know, Iggy pop Uh then Iggy Stooge are the Stooges had a I think it was called the Rape of the Virgin is what he called the act, and it was him being stomped on and literally bloodied by Ron Ashton, one of the band members, wearing a Nazi uniform. And Iggy used to date Jewish women almost exclusively, I think married a Jewish woman eventually, and his father was actually raised by two Jewish sisters. And Iggy when he was dating this one Jewish woman at the time, who was a child of Holocaust, of races, I have a surprise for you at tonight's show. He thought she would love because like cathartic and and he did the rape of the Virgin. She hated at She's like, what the hell? But he meant well, he met well, he was he was trying to exercise the demon in a way, right. I mean, even the sex Pistols, for all their questionable practices, you know, the holidays and the sun talking about, you know, go to a new Belsen. What wasn't like they wanted to go to a concentration camp for a vacation. They were making fun of people who go to like third world countries and enjoy themselves while there's misery all around them, and like, you know, so they're making a parallel life. Like I'd like to go on a vacation to Belsen, you know, that'd be great. So, yeah, I think you're right about the intersectionality. It wasn't just Jews of gay people, you know, romany people, many Catholics, any political enemies. You know, the original concentration camp was for political enemies in Dacau, Germany. So I'm not telling you anything you don't know. I'm just I'm just saying I absolutely agree with you that. Yeah, I think that the intersectionality of it is is definitely part of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how should we assess the impact of the Ramones and specifically it's frontman Joey Ramon born Jeffrey Hyman.
Speaker 3: Well, Joey is so such like a paradigm shift and rock. You know, Joey was and I don't mean this in any knock against Joey. I loved Joey and everybody did. Everybody called him a minch, right, that was the term always used for him. But he was a little freakish looking. If you look at the average person. He was very, very tall. I think it was six or eight something like that. Grew up, you know, feet taller than his kids in high school and later he put on a little weight, but he was emaciated, so it was all the more exaggerated. He had a big hook nose and uh, you know, kind of bad posture due to some physical conditions, and looked like a you know, one of those stereotypes of Jews and the dishturmer, the Nazi newspaper mericature of a Jew. He was anything but what was at the time seen as a rockstar. Rockstar was Robert Plant with his shirt unbuttons of the navel and tight jeans and cockrocker, you know, like it's all sex and stud and I'm in charge. And Joey was like, I'm a freak. You're a freak. We're all freaks. That's cool, you know. Gabba Gabba hey, one of us, one of us. Yeah, that Gaba Gaba Hey comes from the movie Freaks, So it was actually Gobble Gobble Hey in the movie, but it was the chant of all the freaks and I'm again quotation works around freaks bonding together and putting a spell on someone who was cruel to them. Who was the beauty, the blonde beauty. Uh so Joey. Yeah, Joey was kind of the emblematic of it in so many ways. And so much of punk is about neuroses and about being broken and twisted. And yet it's an anti hero, right, because if you were in this culture and you're paying attention, you really should be broken and twisted. You know, if you're not upset, there's something wrong. If you're not wounded by the culture, there's something wrong. Joey. What's interesting to me, especially about Joey, is that Tommy, the other Jewish member of the Ramones, who no one knew was Jewish, including their Jewish manager Danny Fields, until I told him. Tommy was very self conscious about it. It was Tommy who insisted to the other two d D and Johnny that Joey be the lead singer. They're like, what, that's insane. He's not a he's not I mean, they knew he could sing, but he just let he looked ridiculous as the leader of Bend. Tommy said, no, that's the point, that's what we are. That's the kind of band we are where he's the leader. Tommy was a child of Holocaust survivors who were hidden or protected by non Jewish friends in Budapest during World War Two, and they fled in fifty six with the Soviet you know, when Soviets kind of crushed a rebellion and anti Semitism was on the rise there like that, and we've been through this once, We're not here for that again. And Tommy was I don't think paranoid's the right word, because you know, if they're after you, you're not paranoid. So but he was very alert and cautious, never denied as Jewish as was proud of it, but didn't advertise it. And his vision for the Ramones was really a very Jewish vision. And the fact that the Ramones and I'm sorry to fear from Joey, but Joey's so intrigral to the Roan's like you can't talk about John Lennon with they're talking about the other Beatles, right, They're They're that kind of band where the four distinct personalities make up a whole. Johnny collected Nazi memorabilia and was known to say any Semitic things. Was it just to wind people up or was the questionable it's a you know, who knows, it's a little No one knows what's in someone's heart, but he sure did hurt people like Joey and Tommy. Tommy had to drop out of the band in part because of Johnny. That's why he left. Dede, whose mother was German, whose father was an American serviceman who married her while stationed in Germany occupying force, had a very conflicted relationship towards Germany. But to piss off his father, he collected Nazi memorabilia as a kid, and the two of them were somewhat counterpost against Joey and Tommy, and together those preoccupations came up. And yet in a comic context it was kind of you know, Tommy especially would take those songs and make them funnier, so that the Nazis seemed kind of ridiculous. And Joey, obviously later with Bonso goes to Bitberg part of that as well directly. And that was a song originally Johnny did not want Reagan named in the title. It was called My Brain is Hanging upside down, which is the chorus. And you know, Johnny was a big support of the police and Reagan and supposedly had a photo of Hitler over his fireplace. I never saw it, so I can't say for sure that's true, but I heard that and anyway, so there are a lot of negotiations in there that reflected bigger schisms, and not even just on the Ramones. It's another bands too. You know, Kiss was sort of punk adjacent, same time period, some of the same fright elements, like for kiddies, and they were split between two Jews and in one hardcore any you know, Nazi sympthizer.
Speaker 2: So it's just fascinating that these bands were able to be friends, we can assume, and work together despite that kind of deal breaker in most relationships.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Ramones are also known as the most dysfunctional band in history, and they really were. They hated each other by the end. You know, Joey would sit in the back of the bus, Johnny on the front. Joey. I mean, I don't I don't mean to sound like I'm mocking. I mean, you know, he had like everyone had his shaes, but he was ocd very clearly, you know, had to touch. They would try to leave to go on tour and he'd have to go up and down the steps of his apartment, like for an hour, touching certain things over and over. Sometimes. You know, Johnny, who found Jolly intolerable, was his own kind of OCD. He was obsessed with baseball statistics to the point that it was like reams and rims of of notebooks, you know, keeping track of everything.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Tommy was probably depressive, seem seemed like and d D was a mystery hard to tell bipolar, perhaps not schizophrenic, but people all everyone commented on how he could turn. There were like two d d's, you know, this sweet, innocent, almost childlike to the point of that being almost creepy, like, how was this he not more you know, grown up and a kind of cruel uh, you know, violent character, very talented, hugely talented, also hugely important to their moones. So I don't mean to make it out Tommy was their Moones, not by far. You know, of the Beatles, they got to dislike each other, an the Ramones ever liked each other that much. You see those early films. I think it's one of their first shows at CBS and they're fighting on stage about which song to do next. They're really fighting. It wasn't an act. It was funny, but it was suposedly real.
Speaker 1: Judy is a punk.
Speaker 4: Turning to CBS. Jews were also central behind the scenes, like Hilly Crystal, owner of the punk maca CBGB. What was the significance of Crystal and that club?
Speaker 3: Well, Hilly, Hello, Crystal is his real name? What's his name? Interesting character. Grew up on a Zionist socialist collective and this is back when Zionism wasn't considered a dirty word. It was the lefty version of Israel where you went to a kabbutz and you shared the wealth. His great uncle was head of this collective in the Jersey homestead and Hilly grew up there. The idea, just as it was in Israel, was to for Jews to get back to the land. It was kind of a Romantic era response to displacement, you know, the Romantic era of like the you know Beethoven, that kind of Romantic era that you get back to the soil, kind of like the hippies word right, Brousseau and Beethoven, and you know, our natural healthiest celts were out of cities. We're in touch with the soil. And the thinking was among the original designs that Jews had been divorced from that kind of connection to the land, that they had been dispossessed to that, and that they needed a place, a literal place where they could till the land and be workers and be strong and healthy and all spiritually as well as physically hilly. It was a strong, big guy, big strong guy, but also loved music and wanted to play violin and was very good. I was playing violin all through his youth and high school years. He had a sister who was ill. He needed to take care of her, and he couldn't pursue that in the way he wanted. But he did finally go to New York and pursues singing that he also had a great voice, and he worked in a number of venues and then kind of segued from that into clubs, managing clubs. You know, he interacted with a lot of the famous jazz musicians.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 3: He in the like early seventies, decided he was going to open his own club. And he picked the Bowery because it was cheap and you know, uncharted territory, and he opened CBGB's Country, Bluegrass and Blues. It was an Americana music club. Did not do very well. It was inhabited by bikers initially, and it wasn't until Richard Hill, Richard Myers and Tom Verlane came to him and said, we have a band we want to play, and hell, he said, you know what you can play, but you have to play your own music, which was not common in New York at the time at all. They were bands everywhere, and he's like, you've got to play your own music, and that was his line to everyone, you got to play your own music. All those early bands that germinated and just stated at CBS would never have gotten gigs alt where they were bad and that by their own minutes, you know, they start out bad. And Hilly said to me, I didn't like them, but I thought they deserved the chance. So I thought they deserved They were doing their own thing, do it yourself. And he said, you know, I wish someone had give me that. I grew up on the Jersey Home store. The whole idea was the not workers alone, but you know, empowerment of individuals, the common man. You know, the folk. The original meaning of folk is just the regular people, right, folks, wagon and folk. So folk music, which was the big movement in New York before punk, Dylan and the rest of them. He wanted that a place for the and so he was di y before there was a term for it, and he created the literal setting for punk to be born. And you know, I think we should just say that. You know, for years decades people said, oh, no, punk starting in England, and there was some you know, no it started, or starting let's starting. Well, I'm clearly on the site it started in New York. And I think one of the ways you can tell it started in New York is that the Ramones played a July fourth Independence Day show at the Roundhouse in London, a big club. In attendance were members of the Damn what became I should say the Damn what became the sex Pistles, what became the Clash, and all of them were hugely inspired. And if you listened to early Clash songs like White Riot, it's a basically a Romone song with one short guitar solo. Ramones didn't have guitar solos, But other than that, it's a It's a great song, and I have no problem with people sounding like the Ramones, but it clearly has its precedent and our Moones. Uh yeah, so Hilly, Hilly was was huge. Hilly was huge. And you know, if nothing else, he had a club where he allowed his dogs to run around and shit everywhere. People had always comment there was dog shit all over the club, and the bathrooms or legendary are infamous in their disgustingness. And you know, if it maybe, if nothing else, if Hilly had just done that, he would have helped to create punk. His punk is grungy, yeah, unkempt and sorted and wallows and and in the io call it the dark side, the smelly side.
Speaker 2: Did he ever come around to liking that music aesthetically or was it just sort of a business thing? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I said, I think you know a lot of those bands weren't good in the beginning. I mean, television became amazing. There were Moones, did they were? They're very loose, intous organised in the beginning, and then were very powerful once they kind of got it to click and you know, things to fall in place. And yeah, Hilly then let's not forget he was a manager and a music label owner later. So yeah, he liked the music and he liked the attitude. He liked what he saw is a real New York kind of music. And you know punk was originally called if you think of punk as starning New York music, there was no term for it.
Speaker 2: You quote avant garde jazz musician John Zorn who says the Jews are contrary by definition, How does this apply to punk rock Jews?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't agree with Jones or no trying to be contrary. No, it definitely, definitely you know the old joke two Jews, three opinions, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Punk was confrontational and argumentative with the culture. You know, it critiqued the alter It didn't accept, you know, question authority, all that stuff, the bumper stickers you would say around and Jews for good reason have traditionally been that way because they the culture ends up treating them questionably, so they don't trust all of the patriotic notions that often are talented as being the principles of the civilization and of the moment. You know, the Nazis they thought they were good citizens and that's what their government was telling them. And you know a Jew is not just because of that experience, but many experiences. Uh doesn't doesn't take verbta take take unquestioning the the the precepts and principles of any given movement, creed, even the judy Ism' That's why I'm saying it isn't I talk about cultural Jewishness, what's called Yiddish kite, I think in academic circles. And but there Jews were and still are religion, and the religion has something to do with that. And the religion is very I would say, proudly questioning that. You know, the Rabbinical tradition is one of interpretation and argument and debate. And even in the Torah, you know, the Bible, the characters are questioning God. They don't just have blind faith. They they they they're in dialogue. And so the contradictory nature the the the in the sense of questioning absolutely And I think living in a position, being both in and out of many cultures, you can't help but feel somewhat internally that way too, uh, you know, kind of torn between attitudes, which I think is super healthy personally irony. You know, people, you treat your own highest beliefs with some level of irony, You question them, you know, kind of stand upart and think about them, and that I think is healthy.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, fascist were anything but humorous, anything but ironic. It was all black and white, all really simplistic, easy answers that are maybe maybe it makes you feel good if you're on the inside, but if you're the one who's the enemy, the Jew or the immigrant, raping immigrant who comes in, like all of them are just rapist and criminals, feels pretty good. Just like be on the other side not so good for them. So yeah, I think that's what Zorin was talking about. I absolutely agree with him that that's very punk. That couldn't be more punk.
Speaker 4: Do you think that the sound of punk rock is in some way Jewish?
Speaker 3: The harsh rawness of it, that's abrasive and not just gently melanic, and things are easy, you know, easy listening, that's so Jewish. Jews are in a state of agitation, often for good reason, you know. I attribute so much of it to their cultural positioning. It's sort of a byproduct of being a minority, maligned minority that has almost become an easy go to. It's just self perpetrating. The more every era decides that Jews are to blame, the more that next ere can think, well, the Jews have always been to blame. They're to blame, so that that sound and in fact, if you look at movements in we call classical music and around the turn of the century, previous century, the twenty you know Schungberg and all that discordinate nature of that. You know, it was supposed to reflect dasa, the feelings in society and culture of fragmentation that we're going on, you know, post World War One, especially in post World War two even more so. It's like the you know the World War One was was a horrible slaughter that made you lose faith in civilization. Well you'll really love World War two more so. And that sound is, yeah, it's the one. It's kind of what I'm referring to in the title the hebgb's at CBGS. It's a mixture of Shpilka's nervousness and Spilka's itself is a mixture of nervous energy, excitement almost but also agitation and feeling ill at ease and having to do something. Are you're going to jump out of your skin? So the music of punk definitely has that. It also, we should note, is intentionally what we might call simplistic. I would call it minimal minimalist, just like the classical music of that period, same exact period, Philip Glass, Steve Roth, Terry Riley. Minimalism was going on at the same time, and you know, the Velvet Underground, who are often thought of as the godfathers of punk along with iggy pop, had you know, Lou reed Lewis for Benowitz as their leader, but equally almost equally important in the beginning, it was John Cale, who was a classically trained minimalist musician, who brought the drone, an element of minimalism into that music. And if you want to hear discordance music, listen to the earlier Velven Underground. You know, the Black Angels Death song is for many people unlistenable. If you do listen to the lyrics, it's interesting. It seems to be about the killing fields of Eastern Europe during World War Two. I think it's what it is poetically referring to, just like John Zorn's Krystalnacht has elements. It's in different movements, right, but some of them are hard to listen to. I don't think you could write easy to listen to music about a holocaust. It should sound that way and punk, so punk was meant to reflect that. But as I was saying, also the simplicity, the democratic, primal, the folks element of everyone can do this and we shouldn't forget. That's what became punk was as much a concept in the mind of rock critic originally as it was a music. And all of those are rock critics, Nine of them were Jewish and very self conscious about it, like Sandy Pearlman, Richard Meltzer, the aesthetics of rock kind of the Bible before Grail Marcus and Lipstick Traces, I was, as Sandy Prolman, who went on to create really so much of what made the Blue Oyster Cult successful, and what the Blue Oyster Cult had was a playful and yet sinister preoccupation with fascism and Nazi imagery that got them banned in Germany in fact. So yeah, the definitely, I think that's a very Jewish aspect of punk. And I don't want to let me let me rephrase that. I don't want to say Jews alone, because again, I think so many people were traumatized by but are traumatized by history and what they see were capable of. You don't have to be Jewish to reflect the Holocaust, reflect the atom bomb. I mean, what was nineteen fifty sci fi horror films? But this this fear of technology gone mad and what we could do. You know, Godzilla is the ultimate atomic weapon come back to reck vengeance on everyone. So yeah, I think that is I think it's absolutely correct that the muse the abrasiveness of the music reflects the abrasiveness of history and its impact on Jews and non Jewslike.
Speaker 2: Do you have an opinion of the modern colloquial usage of punk. I hear a lot these days people saying kindness is punk rock or love is punk rock?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, takun alum, which is, you know, heal the world through good acts and uh, you know, pointing out the evil in the world. The fascism inherent in our culture is a healing gesture. It's a kind of love, even if it's about uh, you know, in the form of snot jokes and and you know, freaks and the rest of it, and shouting, you know, you have to shout to be heard. It doesn't mean for all the anger you feel, anger is not the opposite of love. Anger is caring and you're you're angry about something that is hateful. It's the opposite of love. So yeah, in that sense, punk is love, yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much Steven for joining us.
Speaker 3: Thank you that was great. I had a good time.
Speaker 2: And to our audience. Now back to your regularly scheduled lives.
Speaker 4: Amusing Jews is here to amuse you. If you like being amused, go ahead and click like and subscribe.
Speaker 1: H