Speaker 1: And we're back with another episode. But we have got three of us, but we haven't got the loud, annoying one, so.
Speaker 2: We've traded him in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well he's a bit busy at the moment anyway, isn't he.
Speaker 2: He's really busy. I actually called him, this is Richard Nigas we're talking about. I called him, yes, work it out, yeah, just in case, And he said, oh, I can't be long. Chum always calls me chum. Weird. It can't be long, chum. I'm actually just waiting on a call from my agent, and I just I just said to him, do you hear yourself? Do you hear what you're saying? I said, I missed the old Hedge. Lad Niga's not the celebrity hedge lad Nigas, he's You're change man, You're a change man. I don't like it.
Speaker 1: You can tell it's after Hedge season because when you ring him, he's on the phone for an hour as well. If it's if he does speak to your he's not got his call from the celebrity celebrity afterwards. He's just on the phone for an hour, whereas when you're ring him from September through to the end of March, you'll go, yeah, what is it? Yeah? Yeah, fine, do it right, I've got to go. And that's it. And that's all we'll hear.
Speaker 2: Already give you half hour. Why you hear Richard Gold huffing and puffing for chainsaw in the background, carrying him through the hedge lane season.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we're being rude? Should we talk to our guest? I guess we should. Who's that? Who's that over there?
Speaker 3: Patrick gal Braise? I do what do I do? I do columns, I do all kinds of things. I write about food, I write about deer. I've just written a book, a book that is proving to be more controversial than I anticipated.
Speaker 4: I knew it was going to be fun.
Speaker 3: It's transpired to be even more enjoyable than I thought it would be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you wrote one of my favorite things ever, which was a very simple piece about trying to get a pond, made the dramas of trying to dig your own pond because you aren't your own flight pond?
Speaker 3: Was that when I was quite young?
Speaker 1: I think it was. Yeah, it was a it was a very simple piece, but it really resonated with me.
Speaker 3: I don't know why I do a lot of simple pieces, and I often forget the pieces that i've that i've that I've written. Country Life Magazines said they had a complaint from somebody yesterday who was mentioned in my book, and they said the detail with which they knew my sort of back catalog in the magazine of writing was really amazing. And I said, well, that's you know, that's fascinating because I sort of finished a piece and then it's and then it's then it's done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you never go back and look at your own stuff. That's I never we never listened to these. I have no idea what I've said afterwards in the podcast. The this is somebody that I've met you two or three times. It's only been sort of in very brief outside a talk or a ten or something going oh I like what you did there, Oh that's great again, and we moved on. But I think, callum, how long have you known Patrick?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: We we done shoots several time times in various different places across the across the length and breadth of the UK. I suppose shoots.
Speaker 3: With cameras, shoots with guns. What are we?
Speaker 4: What are we talking about?
Speaker 2: Him a bit of both, But I had the thought this morning. I don't think there's many people that I've spent such a long time in their company and never really spoken.
Speaker 5: To that much.
Speaker 3: We're either we're either.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think we had a good chat on a way out with Mike Swan on the Medway where we were in the boat, and then after that we were hunkered down in a wild fowling so we were dead.
Speaker 3: God did he always like did he forget the keys for the lock or something? Is that right?
Speaker 2: We went out and then we had to come back. I think we went out twice. I've been out a few times with with Mike.
Speaker 3: Mike, Oh mad Mike. He's always kind of laughing, grabbing his balls. He's real.
Speaker 2: Love Mike.
Speaker 3: Mike's one came to my house on Christmas Eve and we just hung out for, you know, hours and hours. You were telling my family all about bumblebees, and my family like, who the fuck is this guy?
Speaker 4: And you know, yeah, wid.
Speaker 2: Mike refers to his dog as good bitch, and I have a video of him and that I had to cut all the sound out or he says good bitch, good bitch, good bitch over and over again because it just it really didn't fit the tempo. It just seems so odd. Bramble.
Speaker 3: That dog is great, very very clever guy, very interesting. He's one of those people who, you know, the thing I find so endearing about Mike Swanan for those of you who don't know him who are listening, he's a store at the GWCT, and he often says things to me like, well, you know, if we just make the case for shooting as part of conservation and so on, I think people will get it. And I go away, and I think I wish that was so, you know, I wish sensible p people with you know, qualifications and with the expertise that Mike has could just say sensible things and people will go, you know, that sounds sensible. Then he sort of he doesn't engage at all in the kind of culture wars stuff. It's not really a world. I think that that he kind of recognizes. He just talks sense and he really cares.
Speaker 1: I think it's a bit of a danger if you only ever speak to other sensible people who all agree to argue on first principles, then you sort of think the world works like that.
Speaker 5: If you can just get to people exactly and then and then and then the the you know, the the other thing you can do is you can spend your whole time on social media and you go, oh my god, everyone is a complete nut job, you know, And actually probably the truth is somewhere between the.
Speaker 2: Two of those, right it is you'd like to think so.
Speaker 3: Well exactly, yeah, yeah, it's the ninety ten split.
Speaker 1: I think probably it's But when you venture out into the world, you do wonder sometimes, you know, is.
Speaker 2: That how do people get dressed in the morning?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well sometimes they're not. I mean that our local supermarket is that to put a sign up saying please wear clothes when you come in sort of a cardigan or there's actually a dressing gown doesn't really count anymore.
Speaker 3: You wonder you wonder what went wrong there? Which particular incident inspired that one?
Speaker 2: So did you see the guy on I posted on on x that thought that was very disappointed that Hadrian's Wall wasn't on part with the Great Wall of China, And he said that no one seemed to care, and at one point he saw a sheep just simply hop over it. That's bad, accept it is.
Speaker 3: The Great Wall of China. I mean, I've never been to China. I don't know if either of you have, But is it a great Wall of China, an amazing feature along the whole length of it, or what's the deal with a Great Wall of China.
Speaker 2: I think it's great.
Speaker 4: Well, you'd be disappointed if it was. You boil the money back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's a bit like Hadrian's Wall. It's got some really good bits, and then it's got some bits where it's just not there at all, and then it sort of peters out into the desert at one end of the sea. At the other it sort of have you been, I've done bits in the middle of the Great Wall of China. I used to work for a company that did you know those horrible corporate charity things where somebody's going to go and climb kill a Maanjaro or or do ever's base camp, but they come around the office trying to get sponsored to pay for that, right. I was on the other end of that where you take them out up and do kill a Maanjarro or ever his base camp. And we did Great Wall of China one year, and it was weird because you stayed in the same hotel for ten days and every day you just got the coach back and forth out to wherever you finish the walk the day before, and you just have to take a slight longer coach journey every day to get to the end. And you were staying in the same hotel, so the sense of travel was completely overshadowed by the fact you're just in the same monkey hotel room.
Speaker 3: I always think, I always think how it would be deeply ashamed to be one of those people who goes around an office and ask for people to give you a quid for whatever. But almost every day I go around the office and ask people if they want to go for lunch with me, and it's usually a note as well. And actually, you know, thinking about it, that's kind of just just a shameful.
Speaker 1: Really, are you trying to get them to pay for lunch as well?
Speaker 3: Well, No, I'd happily pay for them to have lunch. But actually even that, even that doesn't get them to come out, so, you know, so it goes.
Speaker 1: So you've written a book, this is this is your second.
Speaker 3: I've written two books. Yeah, not all chat GPT you know some of it. I even myself have you know, did a little bits in the star Not true by the way, that's not listening and my policy.
Speaker 4: That's not true.
Speaker 3: Is that true?
Speaker 1: I think soon it's all going to be chat GPT anyway, isn't it.
Speaker 4: It's a really interesting point.
Speaker 3: I mean I read the audio book for my book, which you know, if anybody listening likes audiobooks, get onto audible. But I think quite soon AI will be able to read audiobooks, which is amazing. You just you know, you just give a sample of your voice and then it will and then it will do it. And for all of those kind of slightly fourth rate out of work actors who you know, put bread on the table by reading audio books, it's quite frightening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: I just finished listening to your audio book and in the very first section I've got something to bring up with you that you said Rowan rather than Rowan try.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's probably I mean my strong Scottish accent.
Speaker 4: I think that's probably where that comes from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think would they would say, yeah, a row and tree.
Speaker 1: I just it just took me out of it completely. I just had to get through the next ten hours that rattling along.
Speaker 3: No, that's interesting, isn't it. That probably is a sort of you know, I grew up in Scotland. I don't have a particularly Scottish accent, but it probably is a round tree, they would say.
Speaker 1: I think it's only the Welsh that call it rowan anyway, because yeah.
Speaker 3: In Wales do they think that row andry rowan trees keep witches away?
Speaker 1: It's witches, but it's also strongly related to churchyards and holy sites, and so it's sort of it's part of the I don't think it's a national tree, but it's like part of it. It's like the next one down from oak in terms of the world. People are going to write in and tell me I'm wrong, So let's get them to I direct that ire at you. What's this second book, what's it called and what's it about?
Speaker 3: So the book is called Uncommon Ground, Rethinking our relationship with the countryside, And the title that I was originally going to go with was their country the Places that divideas And I have to say I think that working title gets to the heart of what the book is about. It's about who gets to access the countryside, what they can do there, how connected we feel to the countryside, and the way that the countryside inspires senses of identity. I mean, if I let me just tell you a little story about the preface. So I went to go and see these two brothers in Hull who spent their working life in the shipyard there, and they have spent all the spare time they've they've got during the season out wild fouling, out shooting pink footed geese. And the guy who founded their wild fowling club, a guy called Stanley Duncan, who effectively found the basque. Actually they go to his grave when the pinkford of geese return in the autumn, with feathers that that are there on the marsh when the geese return, and they leave them at the side of the grave. And I realized when I was there that for them, the geese, they're not just like a quarry or something to eat or something to shoot out that almost like a kind of deity, you know, their sport, you know, they would call it. That is a kind of goose worship. And it's how they connect to this place and obviously places very far away in terms of the birds migration, and that kind of I think gets to the heart of the book. But I mean, you've read it, so you can tell me what it's about.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know whether I've got the right take on this, but it seems like you sort of did a Louis through on the on the Right to Rome.
Speaker 3: Campaign in part. In part, I mean it's not it's been kind of Right to Rome have definitely felt that, you know, lots of it is about them, and I would say they're there in part, and they're are kind of jumping off point in a way. But but yeah, no, certainly I got I got down and dirty with the right Jerome.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the things you sort of repeat, well not repeat, but you you got back to towards the waight. Yeah, I'm trying to get more words right because we were an actual writer and I'm somebody who struggles with the English language. That you say that it's the loudest voices are the ones that we listened to most within that that that world, And it does seemed that Right to Rome have been very good at making themselves that loudest voice of the voice that's listened to the most.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean one hundred percent. I mean the thing I would pick up on there, I had a really interesting I had a really interesting time on Radio four a couple of days ago now with a guy called Robert McFarlane, who lots of listeners will have heard of. He's he's one of the great nature writers of our time. And yeah, we were, we would. What I wanted to say to him is we were talking about rights. He was talking about the rights of rivers, and the rights of forests came up and so on, and I was talking about the right of people to be listened to. So I think we've heard an awful lot from Right to Rome campaigners. A lot of them have tremendous connections. They write for publications like the New Statesmen, like The Guardian.
Speaker 4: You know, they're not.
Speaker 3: Sort of you know, factory hands who are kind of, you know, oppressed. I don't believe. And what I wanted to go and do was to talk to people in the countryside, those who work and live in the countryside about their perception. So I went down to Dartmore and I spoke to a young guy, a farmer's son, and I said to him, what do you think of Right to Rome? A very shy young guy, and he always couldn't look at me, but he said, I think they're just a bunch of rich Londoners trying to tell us what to do. Now, you know, I'm not saying that that's absolutely correct. I'm not saying it's correct in every instance. I mean, Right to Rome is a mass movement. There are lots of them. They're not all rich Londoners. But it's fascinating why he said that, you know, why does he think that? And the other moment that is sort of related to that is we were there on Dartmore and Guy Shrubsol was dressing the crowd and there was a farmer who was just trying to get through, just a farmer smoking a rolled up cigarette, and it was the most terrific image. And his wife, I assume, was quite agitated and people were being slightly unpleasant to her in quite a superior way. And I just thought, this is fascinating because you've got people who are kind of purporting to be peasants. I mean, that's a word that guy shrubs All uses again and again. You know, we're the peasants. And actually you've got some you know, probably tenant farmer just trying to make you know, enough money to kind of feed his family, who can't get through to do his job. Because all of these you know, sort of Oxbridge grows are here, and that's a really fascinating dynamic, and it's been a dynamic that they have absolutely hated in terms of the way that the book has come together.
Speaker 2: But those tenant farmers are probably the people that they're taking out on them, but they're not really the ones that are. They're just kind of against them in a way, the people that are on the estate enforcing potential cut off zones right to where people can't go. So it's not necessarily they're against the tenant farmer. But what they stand for and the sort of the organization they're in is that not well.
Speaker 3: I think the point is is that is that they're not against the tenant farmer. They don't see the tenant farmer. So when they look at a piece of land, they see somebody in a big house who they've got to scrap with. They don't see the person who actually works on the land.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: And there is a thing and I write about this, I mean, landowners get a lot of as Mark Avery, the Campaigner and Conservation has put it in his review, a lot of brick bats. There are landowners in this country. They don't even know what they own, you know, to them, it's just a way to sort of store wealth in quite a tax efficient ways. Still, you know, I've worked with landowners along fields and they've said to me, do I own that bit next door? Because I stalk there or whatever. So I don't know, mate, it's your it's your land. But there are people on the land eking out, you know, a really really meager existence. And those are the people who land access campaigners don't see. And I think that that's a fascinating thing, right, the kind of rural working class are not seen, and when they're imagine, they're just seen as kind of lackeys in a feudal way. So it's yeah, so it's so interesting, so wrong on so many counts.
Speaker 1: So you open the book with the the kinder trespass, not what recreation, but the meeting in Hayfield and the the discussion there with about was it Benny Rathbone, Benny Rothman.
Speaker 3: Bennie Roman, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And who was the almost sort of held up as this deified figure of access and this is.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, and I mean, and I suspect and I think he's a fascinating guy. A very important part of working class history was he a member of the Young Communist Party.
Speaker 4: I think he was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what's the can you sort of lay out for the audience, because I'm very conscious that it's that difficult thing because I know this subject quite well. I'm trying not to just say.
Speaker 3: What the hell are you jogging about? Well, everybody will know I'm a rambler. I'm a rambler from Manchester where you know. And if they don't, they should so so you and McCole was the I'm going to use the wrong title, but it was something like the head of propaganda, right, and he wrote that song. He was considered to be a particularly dangerous person. But they went out there the the that land was it was it was a grouse shooting estate, right, And they went up into the hills and they fought it out with the gamekeepers there. There's a guy called Wolfy, really interesting guy. Lots of them went off to fight in the Spanish Civil War. So when I was there in Hayfield, there were people dressed up as though they were going to fight in the Spanish Civil War. And they're quite kind of comic figures, some of these people in a way. It's kind of yeah, I mean, they get very upset, but it is cosplay to a degree, and you know, it's kind of terrific. You know, it's a wonderful part of British heritage. But I mean, one of the things I think is interesting to dwell On is that, like, if you grew up around kinder Scout, then you couldn't go up into the hills, right, if you grow up around Winter Hill, you couldn't really go up into the hills either, And these people really wanted to be able to do that, and their lives were hard, their lives were miserable, and there's a there's a kind of One reader pointed something out to me the other day which I thought was fascinating. He'd really like the book. He said that the land access movement now goes to places they almost go on like trespass day trips. Right, so like, let's go to the anglefield of state life, let's go to the arrund of the state life. Let's go stick it to Alexander Dharwah kind of thing. Where was somebody like Benny Rothman, he was going to go up there. He'd be there the next weekend, the next weekend, the next weekend, the next weekend. So it's it's interesting this kind of idea that they there's like this lineage and exploring that lineage is quite an interesting thing.
Speaker 2: So a lot of these people, these trespassed straight day trips. Is it like a tug of a tug of war against the establishment that we we think it's not necessarily that they want to go up on the heel that that someone's telling them they can't. It's that they're just trying to exercise the right to prove the point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, exactly. I mean I almost think it's I almost think it's just best as a like journalist and writer to take it from them.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So I spoke to a person who was very active and right to Rome and she said to me, so, let me tell you that the way that this happened. I don't know how well you guys remember this, but Guy Shaubzol, co founder of the Right to Rome campaign, went to the Arundela state and let a COVID out of a trap. Right, that's confirmed, we know that, okay, And he said, I will always take the opportunity to do so. He was on the Arundella state, he thought he was, and he ended up having an argument with the gamekeeper online who's a terrific guy, you know, And it ran and ran, and it was sort of quite embarrassing in a way because he'd been somewhere and he thought he was somewhere else, it seemed. And anyway, and long after that, the Right to Rome campaign went there to trespass and I was talking to a girl who said, oh, you must come on my trespass. And I'd been down there to see this gamekeeper not long before that. She said you must come on my trespass to Aarondalden and I said, I don't know whether Arundall's the one. And I showed her all of these videos of kind of conservation efforts at Arundall. I was showing her Curlew chicks, I was showing her whatever, and she looked at them and then said, oh yeah, but we're we're not going there. We're going somewhere else on the estate. And said, you don't know, you don't know the estate, this is like whatever, and she asked me to come along. I couldn't make it. I had something else that I had to go to for writing this book. And I bumped into her again, like not long after that, and I said, how was arundall, like was it? You know? And she seemed to think it was pretty amazing. I mean, no one cared that they were there. There was a lot of wildlife. And she said to me, and this is verbatim, and they hate this, that right to Rome is a symbolic thing.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: She'd gone there expecting no doubt that they were going to have a kind of Benny Rothman like experience and it wasn't that at all. And that to me is like, so I'm not telling you what you are. You were telling me what you are. It is a symbolic thing. And what is it symbolizing? That's what's so fascinating.
Speaker 1: So is it almost that they are creating a tribal group under this identity that they have to do it as a performative thing in order to maintain that identity.
Speaker 3: No, No, completely, And it's and it's and it's you know, I find it so extraordinary. I'm fascinated by it. I have to say, I'm truly fascinated by it. I Mean, one of the things that that Right to your Own fell out with fell out with each other on when I was kind of writing about them, was Palestine. So you know, so so some members of Right to Rome wanted Right to Rome to take a position on Palestine. The kind of head campaigners were like, we're not taking a position on Palestine, thinking that like your campaigning for access to more farmland in Britain. I mean, Palestine is tremendously important, but not only do I think that most of you probably don't know enough about it to really like, you know, speak about it, because it looks like you don't know that much about the conservation and farming either, but like what has that got to do with And it just and it just, you know, it was really interesting and I think symbolic the word that that girl used is absolutely right, and this whole thing of like, you know, we're the peasants. I mean, there are people in the world who live in very hard conditions agricultural labors and so on. There have been peasants in Britain, but it's a little distasteful for very successful authors, you know, Guardian columnists and so on, to purport to be you know, peasantry.
Speaker 2: I think there's a there's a line in the book that says is basically trying to stick it to the man, where somebody says to you that this person had made their money from pheasant shooting, and yeah, anyone that's got the actual knowledge of the countryside knows that that's.
Speaker 3: Not really He was reading my book being like, ship howl, if.
Speaker 2: I go, if I go, could I pay for the guys rubs course on to.
Speaker 3: Making millions out of that's a really good idea actually, I mean we're published by the same publisher.
Speaker 4: I'll text after this and say that you should do.
Speaker 1: This going to be Grouse after that as well, well.
Speaker 2: We'll make it. It'd be a country Country's live production and we'll retire on it exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But but it just shows that the fundamental h lack of knowledge on behalf of these people, and you kind of I don't want to say like this, it's like a big gotcha in the book, but you've got these moments that show huge cracks in the logic and the thinking throughout throughout the spending time with these people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, one hundred percent. Yeah, And it's it's so there's there's two things there. I think it's really interesting to kind of when you're when you're trying to understand something, you don't just go and you know, if you want to understand the Republican Party. You don't just go and talk to jd Vance. You don't show whatever you know. You come in. You come in on an obliqu hangle. You'd talk to people in rural places at rallies and so on whatever. But I mean the stuff that I was hearing was just remarkable. So like driven grouse shooting on Dartmore. I mean that'll be news to you know, anybody who sort of really actually works on Dartmore. And Alexander Darwalf fascinating guy because I write this this line that on Dartmore that day he was kind of everywhere and nowhere, and he was whatever you wanted him to be. You know, he'd made millions doing this. He was actually really interested, apparently in the mineral rights. I mean, you know, he'd made a lot of money from pheasant shooting. He'd bought all the land, he'd inherited all the land. He was this kind of like Gatsby figure. You could say anything about him and people will go, that's absolutely right. And I met the bloke.
Speaker 2: Very underwhelmed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean, you know, I'm going to say it. I'm going to say it, and there will be people who listen to this. My ops. He's a pretty ordinary bloke with an interest in conservation. You know, he's pretty conservative. He's clearly very good at what he does, you know. But but yeah, he literally he like the extent to which he's a bogey man. I mean there were people there with pictures of him with signs, you know, going onto somebody's land with pictures of them and with signs. I don't know, it's it's I mean, so this whole thing about this campaign that they say they're about wondering goodness, it doesn't feel that kind of gooey and wonderful to me doing that.
Speaker 2: But I don't know, Yeah, that does sound a bit. Is he not? Like is he just like the figurehead for the man?
Speaker 3: I mean they call him comrade Darwall and they kind of you know, use him as this. You know, did he get the PR right? I don't think he believes in PR. I think he has a very specific way of thinking, quite a binary way of thinking, and he doesn't do PR in the way that other estates do. So I mean, you know, let's name some names, right, the Hulk estate terrific on PR.
Speaker 4: I think Aarondell are quite good.
Speaker 3: I actually think, funnily enough, that Darwall has been quite good for Right to Rome. I think Right to Rome have been quite good for Arundell because you know, they're letting the bird out of the trap is just you know, moronic.
Speaker 1: And the whole dart More wild camping thing was was a such a poor faith argument as well, because it was always made that now wild camping is banned, that's the last place you can wild camp. Well, no, it's just if you overturn the wild camping permission or that interpretation of the law, that you just return it to the same as the rest of the upland areas of England and Wales where wild camping is generally tolerated. There have not been any prosecutions for it, and it's actually embedded into most of the outdoor education syllabus, you know. To do my Mountain Leader award, I had to do a certain number of wild camps in England and Wales a altitude and it was the only way to achieve that qualification.
Speaker 3: So it's but surely that's impossible though, Richard, right, because you can only do it.
Speaker 1: And that was back in the back in the early and mid two thousands. A long time ago. And it's is that strange thing that I feel like we got this settled after the two thousand and four Land Reform Act, and we'd already had the two thousand countries, I had Right his Way Act. Then when I started working in the outdoors in the early two thousands or something, mid two thousands and then did it, got qualified and started running my own my own stuff, there was this general vibe of yeah, we have it great, We've got all this access, all this access to the land, to the mountains that wasn't there before, and that there was sort of you felt you like you were on the winning side there. That narrative changed background to you can't do anything anywhere and I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: I mean, this happened to me, right, and they and it's really amusing. There's a guy call John Moses who wrote that this was He wrote he feigned mock surprise, which doesn't really work as a sentence anyway, because quite how you would feign mock surprise. I was think, Jesus, you know whatever. But but you know, I went down to Richard Benz the State Anglefield, right, and I read the start of the book Wild Service, and I read it in good faith. It said that accept and I'm going to get slightly wrong with I'll do my best other than basically a few stunted footpaths. His vast dominion remains closed at all times.
Speaker 4: Okay. I got public transport down next my.
Speaker 3: Car was broken and for the book, and basically the point that I went down there to prove is that access is quite shit.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: I hadn't done my research on this at this point. You know, I read the book, right. This is the book published by Bloomsbury, biggest independent publisher.
Speaker 4: Great, you know, got there.
Speaker 3: Hang in a second. The gate's open, right, Okay, So go in. Meet a guy from Ghana. I'm like, you know, what are you doing here?
Speaker 4: Mate?
Speaker 3: And all he wanted to talk about was how brilliant the access is and how happy he is that you can go to places like this, because he said, in Ghana you would have nothing like this, you know. All right, Okay, that's a bit weird. Met someone from America a bit further down the drive and they just said this is incredible. They're like, you cannot do this in America.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: And then I got the garden center that I'm meeting this now the next person, there's all of these meadows. Find a thing about like seventeen hundred acres of access. There's a community woodland and you know, I would like to say the access is not signposted that well, in part because the estate is so big that quite a lot of it is in another place. But it was just, to use a technical term, fucking bullshit. You know there are seventeen hundred acres that you can access. Richard Benyon, who owns it, wants access to be better. He wants to communicate with the local community about how access can be better. They've gone mental saying, oh, you know, there was not actually not the next thing that fellas you've had to change your book. You have had to change your book. I wrote to Balloonsbury. I said, this is incorrect, and I believe that there might still be errors in there. But like, what's the point in just bullshitting about this, Like, le let's accept what we've got. It's not great everywhere you know it could be better. How could it be better? But let's not just pretend that we're locked out of the countryside because it is not true. You know, I don't see what the benefit is in that unless you're kind of it's this kind of cosplay thing that I don't really get.
Speaker 2: You must have encountered some places where you thought, well, surely you know, they could open this up and it could be was there any points we thought actually fair enough, they might be right in any way.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent? And this is and this is this is my thing kind of always is like it's like, you know when I meet a farmer or a landowner who says, oh, the public don't understand the countryside.
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 3: But what have you done to try to change that? And that's not just about throwing open access. So you know, you know how many states have lakes with pike in them? How many of them right to the local primary school and say can we do like a pike fishing workshop or whatever? You know, and the whole thing of we've not got time or make time, you know, make time, like you know, you you have to connect people with a land, you have to give them a respect for the land. And I genuinely believe this is a true I think if landowners and farmers and conservationists as well got on the front foot and tried to engage local communities and provide access, sorry engagement opportunities. I think Right to Run would have done the thing and everyone would have gone as bollocks, you know. But it's almost like flourished because of a lack of engagement and because of a lack of knowledge about how good access that's is. But but how you you change culture is through engagement.
Speaker 1: And they have quite a good pr campaign with the numbers because they say it was it eight percent of England is open access land.
Speaker 4: Everything else is off limits.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So obviously before before the crow at you couldn't go.
Speaker 1: Away, and they never mentioned whales, which is twenty percent exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all the all the footpaths, I mean they say that if you, if you, if you put all the footpaths around and around and around around around in England, you could go around the globe six times.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well I'm in next September, I'm walking from Ivy Bridge and Dartmoor to Oxford on public footpaths.
Speaker 3: Well impossible though, because the countryside is off limits. And the question I would say to you is like, okay, so you're working on footpaths there when you look out across fields of wheat.
Speaker 4: Are you like these bastards?
Speaker 3: I want to be able to walk through that whek or are you like now I can see it and I can you know, because that's the thing that always interests me.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, is it that people look at those landscapes and they think, well, that's currently not doing something. Well, there's Lewis. Lewis Winks a couple of years ago got into an argument on Twitter before he left The Blue Sky saying, well, there's all these field margins. Why can't we just walk on the field.
Speaker 3: You're not allowed to talk about that though, because I've got a lot of trouble for talking about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's well, I've got screenshots as I wrote it for it, I put it into an article.
Speaker 4: But the that is that is you know, expecting to knock on the door in the night.
Speaker 1: I have to find me. That's is that? The thing though? Is it that you there's that we aren't good at connecting people with the landscapes because we don't say that thing that looks like it's just being a nice place and a nice view over there is actually hopefully a factory that turns out great partridge or wood carle well exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: And you've got two things there, right, You've got a field. Okay, the bit in the middle of that is generally growing food for us or growing food for things that we might eat, And that little tiny sliver that we leave at the side, right, it's the little time really at the side, that's the wildlife, you know, that the wildlife that still remains, you know, that's still hanging on. So the idea that we should just be able to use it as a footpath is that because we want the middle of the field for food production and we want the edge of the field for recreation. And it's like, you know, it's so anthropocentric.
Speaker 2: I don't think a regular being formally a regular person. I don't think.
Speaker 1: Before you got it indoctrinated by.
Speaker 2: Us being formally a regular person. I don't think people understand that even or even the extent that going just walking through a piece of wood affects the wildlife in the wood or through a field margin, the damage it does and the disturbance it has for wildlife. Even even even now, if I'm like deer stalking and something happens and there's like, you know, some kids riding their bike on the edge.
Speaker 4: Of the gay over yeah, yeah, it's like, yeah.
Speaker 2: You do. I would never expect that something so minor like forestry commission starting a chainsaw like a mile away has scared the entirety of a wood.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, yeah, yeah, how is that?
Speaker 2: I would never have expected that.
Speaker 3: So it's just on a practical level with deer s talking. I mean, I do a lot of deer stalking. I'll be going down a wood and ride occasionally shoot them on jack. We've all done it. We all miss deer. What do you do if someone's coming around the corner with a dog like it's it's like, it's a very practical. It's not like a water boudery thing like it is exceptionally dangerous. Not only are they're not going to be I remember saying to a keeper a while ago, right, I was talking the edge of a village, and he said to me, he said to me, but don't worry too much about people, because if there are people anywhere, there won't be any deer.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: And that's like that is an interest because they're scared because we're predators, because they look at us and they think, you know, this whole notion that oh we're part of nature. You don't walk through a meadow and a lap wing goes fantastic, pal, great to see you know, see you again tomorrow. No, they see you and they go, fuck, you know this is going to try and kill me, right and trying to eat me because you know, there's what they've been doing for time immemorial.
Speaker 4: It's yeah, it's crazy. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: It's like that thing of invisible impact that people don't realize the impact they're having. And not nobody thinks they're the villain in their own story. They always think they're the heroes. They don't consider naturally that I wonder if my actions are having a negative content. Yeah, it's mean, it's like the skinner meme, is it. I wonder if it's me causing a problem for wildlife? No to blame.
Speaker 3: And you're like, no, I'm actually monitoring, I'm actually looking at the wildlife.
Speaker 4: It does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you have all these I was talking to Tom Cameron, Who's was it Tom Cameron?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a he's a great ecologist at.
Speaker 3: Essex, and he was saying, like, everywhere you go on the beach, just imagine the wildlife that would be there if it wasn't for all the people. And that's just and we're so weird as a species, Like it's almost a colonial thing. Like we see somewhere and we're like, we should go there, whereas you know, you see other species and other species will look at places and go that's not really for me, you know, and that's not really where I live. Like I just stay here, I stay in the marsh or stay up the tree or whatever.
Speaker 4: They're not like I want it all.
Speaker 1: I want it all. So what do you think the biggest myth then the public holds about sort of the either the land access or the way lands managed in the UK, what's the average across.
Speaker 3: The thing is there's not like a sort of there's not one thing. It's it's more sort of you know. I mean one of the most interesting things is and this is this is now moving on to a historical point, but the idea that everybody used to own the ground that they worked so a kind of misrepresentation of the commons and enclosure. I mean, people were treated very badly. We know that. But you know, I spent quite a lot of time talking to historians, I mean proper historians on this who would say that, you know, the notion of the commons as an egalitarian space a set of egalitarian free for all is not right. So there were court cases to do with people trespassing on the Commons. Now, the way that we understand the Commons today would mean that trespassing on the Commons wasn't possible surely because it was like a place where everyone did Morris dancing and like held hands and whatever danced around maples. That's not that is not what the Commons was. And yeah, so I think I think the language used is really interesting and the extent to which things are. But I mean that's a very old thing. Is that is that you know, after the Civil War, you had quite a lot of movements who would say we need to go back to you know, Anglo Saxon England when everything was wonderful, and you know, I was talking to historians and I hope I'm not going to garble this point, but you had a lot of slaves in Anglo Saxon England, the idea that everyone had their own little bit and it was like it was like you know, woodstock. You know, that's not that's not but it can kind of be whatever you want it to be because it was so long ago. So that I think is is And then also, I mean this is a more kind of a subtle point, but I think that lots of people think that landowners big landowners, so wake up in the morning and worry about people trespassing across their boundary, you know. And as I say, I think a lot of landowners don't really know what they own. And that's actually a darker thing, right, That's a darker thing, the idea of land as just being a kind of store of wealth, a kind of tax efficient store of wealth.
Speaker 1: I've got a friend who's got this this theory that Tolkien is to blame for some of this, because You've got this sort of this vision of being able to walk entirely across Middle Earth and just go off on your adventure and just set out from the.
Speaker 2: Door with your hairy feet, yeah.
Speaker 1: And just walk in a direction to a location, and it didn't really matter where you went to. That that's what life was like up until about seventeen fifty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, No, I think that's I think that's that's that's probably very true. No, you're probably tru Yeah, that's right. And I think though, I had a very interesting conversation with a guy who's very into pilgrimage, and he said that the right to own campaign, we're keen to do some kind of collab guys, like, you know, I'm up for it, but I can't tell you that anybody is trying to go on pilgrimage in this country and they can't actually get to where it is they're trying to go to. Now, I'm sure you're going to have all kinds of people who pick up on this and say, oh, well, you can't go here and you can't get there. But again, I'm just reporting what he was saying. And that's so that's really interesting. It's, as you say, that space between myth and reality, and it's that thing of like, if you can control historical narratives, you've got quite a good chance of controlling kind of where we're heading. And that's and that's what really this is all about. It's all about actually, you know, it's all about a fight for the past as much as it's about the future.
Speaker 1: There's something Calum and I were talking about this other day that because we're on different sides of the country, the view outside of his window and the sort of the five miles around his house looks very different to the five miles around my house. Because you've got that potentially very urban lead campaign for right to Rome and for that increased access, you know, very london centric or coming out of those urban areas, that perception is skewed because generally the access to the countryside is maybe a little bit poorer in the urban edges because the urban edges keep moving out into the countryside. Whereas that's so interesting, Yeah, we are where we are here. I mean, I'm I can't see a street light from here, and I can just look at a range of hills. It's all over and I can take anyone on any number of footpaths to get there. But that's because I chose to live here. I didn't choose to live where Calum lives. And yeah, that nothing. There's nothing wrong with your house, Calum. I'm sure it's fine, but it's sort of this disproportionate access is something that keeps being brought up, but they never argue that the people of Birmingham or Leicester don't have walking distance to a nice beach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, that's really interesting. I mean, when I've felt access keenly, or rather a lack of access, I should say, is for country life magazine.
Speaker 4: A while ago.
Speaker 3: I recreated that journey and Three Men in a Boat if you know the Jerome Cage your Own books, very famous book, and everywhere we went like there would be signs like no camping here, no camping here.
Speaker 4: I mean these were people's gardens.
Speaker 3: But I was like, ah, this is pretty shit, these people in these massive houses. And then I think actually in the original that's also the same thing that they come up against. And I could totally imagine if you lived in like Walton on Thames or something, you would be like, the access is terrible. It's like, but that's because you know, we're in almost suburban zone. I had a very interesting conversation in the book with with a hunt master, Home County's hunt master, and he was saying that the big problem that they have is rich Londoners buying one hundred acres and just saying you can't hunt across here anymore, closing down their country. And as I was saying on the radio the other day, that's like what I hear from the Right to Rome guys as well.
Speaker 4: So you have these kind of you know.
Speaker 3: Dual things going on that Right to Rome think that like they're anti hunting and hunting is sort of anti what they're doing, but actually they both got a kind of common enemy, although they would never see it like that, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I had a look at bridle paths once to see where we could go with the horses, and the logistics of it were just terrible, Like you couldn't You'd get one bridle path that you could go for like, you know, a quarter of a mile and it would end there's no way to get to another part unless you had a horse box and put it on. So it became like these areas of permission that were fundamentally useless because you who wants to go on a quarter mile hack?
Speaker 1: Is it? Because the bits that used to be bridle paths are now tarmacked and just called the B five four three nine.
Speaker 2: Yes, so there wasn't an access to it. And then there's like a footpath down that's obviously public are walking cross on the foot path, and then there's and then there's a bit more bridle path, but unfortunately you can't take I think that's a really valid horses along a river with people walking dogs.
Speaker 3: You know, every guy the other day whose thing is about trying to like connect paths up and things, and that's and that's really quite interesting, you know.
Speaker 4: And it's about like the other thing.
Speaker 3: I spoke to a farmer actually not far from here, chicken farmer, and he was saying he's got a right of way that goes through his yard or up to his yard. He said, now, this right away used to be for people to come to the farm who were working here. He now has a problem with it because of Avian influenza. He doesn't really want people walking up it, along it, through it. And his point is that like, maybe we should rethink paths and create paths that work for us now, rather than being like, oh, we need to maintain everything and so on. I think that's a really interesting point, is what works for us now.
Speaker 1: Well, the lot of the tracks around here are sort of old postman paths, yes, link farms that way. But the north of the border up in that they're Scotland that sort of often painted as this utopia where there was absolutely no problems with access whatsoever. No one has ever had a problem at all, particularly in the central belt. How did that sort of come across in new conversations?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was really interesting. So I was watching a video and there's all that. Yeah, it's like it's almost like land access bingo. They've got the eight percent thing in there, They've got the peasants in there, the pheasants get mentioned in there. And then there's this guy who's just like chewing a piece of grass. He's like, yeah, works pretty well in Scotland, doesn't it. And it's like he doesn't. He doesn't seem to know. And I thought, well, you know, I'll get on the road. You know, I've only spent whatever, like most of my life that I got on the road up, get up and see how it's going. Pouring rain, driving alongside Loch Loman, and these two hitchhikers were there and I couldn't see them until last minute. I reversed back, raining so much and they got in the car and I was like, oh, how have you been getting on? They're both minking.
Speaker 4: They were like it's rubbish.
Speaker 3: We thought like Scotland was just like this promised land in terms of you could go wherever you want, but like all the way up lock Loman there's just these no camping signs.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh, it's really unfortunate that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know, we did find a boat that we just like took out onto the loch and just like took it for a spin. And this guy was like, yeah, I don't really think it belonged to anyone it And this girl he was with was like, I think it actually might have done. It could have been like someone. She was like, I was really shocking myself that we were going to get back and there's going to be a shepherd there or something like. I wonder why they've got the no camping sign between Yes, you know, but yeah, totally right. I mean Loch Loman lock Un big big problems and in other parts of Scotland they don't.
Speaker 2: But why is that a no camping all around? It's the what's the reason for.
Speaker 1: It as a by law? It was an exception to the line reformat it. It was added in afterwards as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was added afterwards.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know in terms of lock Loan and I suspect it was added afterwards Lockerun. They fought quite hard to have it changed, I believe. I mean there are things like sectarian violence is quite an issue there. So you can get the train and then you get the bus. It's not that far from Glasgow. You know, there's a lot of drinking and you know, look like so it's where these things start to fall down because I've heard the Write your Own campaign say things like, oh, well, if people were just able to access the countryside, they would learn to love it. And you're like, what about the guys in Lockern That doesn't make any sense, Like why are they you know, kicking off and literally stabbing each other. You know they've been for a very violent instance. And then you go to Harris right way up one of the islands, and I was talking to farmers there and they were saying, oh, they don't have too much of a problem with access. But it's not like because they opened the whole thing up, like everyone's just spread the equidistance across the country. And that's one of the arguments that So, so my point really is like let's not just say, oh, look how well it works in Scotland. Let's actually understand Scotland and then say, you know, what could we do better given the differences.
Speaker 1: I used to work on a project with Natural Resources Whales years ago and one of the women working on it, who was she was coming up to the end to her retirement at that time with Natural Resources Whales, but before they formed that quango and it was still part of the Countryside Council for Whales, so a bit like sort of Natural England sort of DEPHA. They were responsible for mapping out the right to rome areas under the Countryside Right of Way Act, and the whole idea was that they would they would look at someone like Mrtha Tidville and say, well, these hills around them, they can't access these people, so we're going to make all the hill area around here open access land then they can access it. She was talking to me about how idealistic she was in the late nineties that this was going to happen. This was such a fantastic opportunity, and now in about twenty twelve, twenty thirteen, with the rise of social media.
Speaker 3: She.
Speaker 1: Massively regrets it did because of the effect it had on the landscape.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And what effect did it happen?
Speaker 1: So it was you ended up with the quarry areas that were previously inaccessible now just became somewhere that was almost impossible to police because you ended up with anti social behavior as the papers would call it, but just fires, people getting drunk, smashing stuff, all those human behavior, but it was spreading out then into the natural areas and areas that had to be in effectively de facto nature reserves because it were crap for grazing and people didn't go there. They had become areas then just where people go to for mountain biking. Now yeah, yeah, push, and then that leisure push just gets further and further out, And it was we were talking. The thing that led to that conversation for memory was there's something that became famous on Facebook at the time called the Snowdonia Infinity Pool, which is actually just some poor sod's water supply hard that it had sort of this damn thing that meant it looks like an infinity pool. So people started going doing while swimming there because it got them a great photo overlooking this overlooking the Nampeis Valley. But they then just ended up with one person one after another, and they ended up with literally a queue of people waiting to get the photo taken in some poor sod's water supplies. And it's the social media element of it was I think that was a missing element for the people who drew up these policies in the first place. And I think if you were doing the Land Reform Act or the Countryside right Away Act now, it would be less permissive, is my sincere belief. I don't think as much land would get added on to.
Speaker 2: I think we get less access to and including camping as well.
Speaker 1: I don't think you would. You wouldn't get were camping. You might get more camping maybe in some areas, but I don't think a lot of the access land that was included would be included.
Speaker 3: That's really interesting.
Speaker 1: Smaller number.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean one of the things I keep sort of thinking. And actually, you know, this is something that guy said to me a gamekeeper on Dartmore. He said that he was really terrified when when the protest happened there and he thought his Phasant pens were going to get smashed up. And then he went up at the end of the day on his mule, in his mule and he said there wasn't a bad person among them, and that was really interesting. But he said, he said, but it's not. I mean, I sort of disagree with that because there were quit a lot of people there with signs protesting against Phasant shooting someone, which is the only reason this.
Speaker 4: Guy was there.
Speaker 3: And I spoke to people who were really poorly informed. But at the same time you get these kind of tremendously idealistic land access campaigners who think that everybody else in this country is like a really nice guardian reading knitting, you know, vegetable growing whatever. And you're like, that is you are not representative of the entirety of the country, I'm afraid. And you know, most people just want to walk their dog. Most people just want to go mountain biking. Lots of people just want to have cans of beer and make a fire.
Speaker 1: So is it like the free speech argument that if you argue for free speech, you must be willing to defend the things you do not want to hear, that if you argue for freedom of access, you must be willing to defend the things you don't want to happen in that place.
Speaker 3: Well, exactly, I mean that's a really good argument, and you're saying all kinds of things, and I'm thinking, shit, why do I not include in.
Speaker 1: My book second edition? Makee second edition?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, paperback, yeah, I mean it's selling well, hopefully we'll be another hardback edition. But but no, no, I mean, I mean that is totally true. Yeah, yeah, and then you get these things well, as I say, you know, if you could just see these things, you would learn to love them. I mean that doesn't carry And also, okay, so if normal people could just see wildlife, they would learn to love it. But what about the landowners who get to see these things all the time but don't And you're like they different sorts of people, because that doesn't really make sense to me.
Speaker 4: So it's just it's just.
Speaker 3: These logical arguments really and this idealism.
Speaker 1: So steel Man, under the argument for right to rooma, then what would be the best argument for increasing access? What wou the best benefit to the nation to increase that access?
Speaker 3: Again, I would come back to I don't think it's about access. I think it's about opportunities for engagement, and I think those are two different things. And I think that I think as long as we kind of pursue I mean, I tell you who would really benefit, right, I tell you who would really benefit from more access would be people who want to let their dogs off the lead for a good run. They would absolutely love it. Yeah, oh yeah, I mean that's true. They would love it. The coursing boys would love it.
Speaker 4: But you know.
Speaker 3: But but but the thing is is, yeah, it'd be great for people who want I mean, I said on the radio the other day, I said, oh, they quoted me. Rather, they said, and we're going to speak to a guy who believes that dogs should never be off the lead on the beach in spring.
Speaker 4: And everyone's like, huh huh, what an idiot?
Speaker 3: Right, and no, like like that that is where going wrong?
Speaker 4: Okay, that is that is the problem.
Speaker 3: Like people just don't understand that there dogs are predators that they have seen as predators, not in the kind of a devious way, but you know, you know what I you know what I mean, And that's and that's just it's just crazy.
Speaker 4: It's just crazy.
Speaker 3: It's it's yeah, humans are just so arrogant and and we kind of can't see it.
Speaker 2: I've got a cho hour, so he's not much of a predator. He's never chased a bird off its nest.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you some serious damage to a chicken nugget.
Speaker 2: I don't eve mean, he's not got that many teeth.
Speaker 3: Twenty four hours with a chicken nugget, and he would have mostly destroyed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he would have taken a batter off at I also have never under did not know actually saying this right. So I've had a variety of dogs, and it does depend on your dog breed. But now I have a cocker, which is a mental thing bread to put birds into the air. That's that's what she does. So to now I see the severity of it. I mean, I only have to let her off for two seconds and like the would be in the trees or gone. So so I sort of I do think that that does make a difference in the breed of what would what would most people do if they got their way, What would most people do with their access? They would potentially go to places that are dense with wildlife and disturb it. So I was reading the book and I was listening to all the points about the counter argument, but then just the the why you want access, other than just that the right has been taken away from me and I don't like it. It's like loss a version when something gets like it's much more painful when you lose some money than it is when you gain some money. You take pay far more attention to it. And it's just the fact that the right of not being able to go to a place seems to wind a lot of people up, which.
Speaker 3: Although access has got better, which is which is really important. So this whole notion of loss is really interesting. Like, you know, I spoke to a guy who'd known Benny rothmanwell, who helped organize I think they're like, was it like the fifty years later March or something, and it was like, oh, yeah, access is so much better now than it used to be. But that's not the narrative that a lot of people are spinning now. So I hear your point completely, and I think I think the places people want to go to is really interesting because you're right, right, Like, no one wants to walk through a field of week. No one wants to walk through a boring dead landscape. They want to walk where the deer are. They want to walk in the woods, they want to walk in the meadows. But those are the places that the wildlife are, so like.
Speaker 2: You know, they want to get amongst wildlife and and disturb it. But then that's fundamentally not good for wildlife because they you know, badgers don't like it if you come and go, look, let's get selfie with this one, because that's right, really cute to.
Speaker 1: Big upon Callen's point there, then, is it that basically there's nobody Well, actually no, that's not true. The Ordnance Survey do do this. There's no organization saying look, there's loads of access in the UK and you can go to all these places. There's no That narrative sort of stopped about twenty eleven twenty twelve, and the only narrative is that there's access is unequal or access is virtually there's nothing and if you don't vote for if you don't vote in support of right to Rome, you'll lose it. All one argument, and then the other argument is no, we don't want you on our land. And that's basically that's the A and the B.
Speaker 3: That's it. That's it. Yeah, And you meet all these like sensible, quiet guys in the middle who are like, yeah, I'd quite like to have a better pass down the side of the road, and no one really listens to me. And you're like, that's a fairly decent argument, Like no one cares about the better bus services and rural places, better paths on the side of the road to be able to.
Speaker 2: Ride a bike here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, do you you know there's the Strava app, so if you're into your running, a cycling or something that you can log your runs and record it. There's a if you go for the paid version, there's a heat map function. I am goingwhere with this, but that shows you anonymized data of where Strava users go right, so where they record, and that if you overlay that on top of footpath maps for the UK, you can see that most people don't go They stay on certain paths, but they don't go on most of them. Most network isn't used or it's viewed very very likely. I know it's only one app, but if you take that, even if it's five percent of the users, if you spread it across, that's an average of behavior that we don't use the network that we have, We don't use the access land that we have, so maybe before we open up the rest of it, should we Yeah? Yeah, deserves.
Speaker 3: It's weird, isn't it? But again it's like, is it really about access? And I don't know, and it's about all kinds of things, but it's yeah, no, hey, it was. It was a lot of fun and the fallout has been been spicy.
Speaker 1: So where your books? Your books out?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: When did it come out?
Speaker 4: Was it came on April, so that's the last.
Speaker 1: Week's only its first week.
Speaker 3: Now it's only one week in. So if this keeps up on going.
Speaker 1: To be you know, yeah, what's what's we'll go on callum, your point is going to be better.
Speaker 2: There was one piece that I've got highlighted, which was the just one, the do you know what's really weird? Because I I have. I did a PDF version and CHATCHI bted it, put the whole thing in and ask a bunch of questions based on it, and I had a had an hour drive to my last photoshoot that I had a conversation with gpt all about what the contents of the book involved. And then today I've listened to you for like six hours in total in audio formats and now I'm now I'm hearing it live in concert as well.
Speaker 3: So that's Jesus, take out some kind of restraining order or something of this.
Speaker 2: I've had a full overdose. But there was one particular part that I'd highlighted that was the parrying of the people that would stop you like preparing for the stuff you role played.
Speaker 3: The Oh yeah, that was so funny.
Speaker 2: The parrying of the apple technique.
Speaker 3: The apple technique. Yeah, well yeah, the apple technique. But any piece of fruit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a banana, I feel like banana might be a little bit sectional.
Speaker 4: Bunch of grapes.
Speaker 3: A bunch of grapes were absolutely Sharon fruit, a little bit of personally LII cheese in.
Speaker 1: There listening to Britain's premiere Rural podcast.
Speaker 2: We like to keep the tone up right.
Speaker 3: So this was absolutely hilarious. And and you know, so I wandered this some how to trespass workshop, and.
Speaker 4: You know, the whole thing was the whole thing was kind of funny.
Speaker 3: But there was this moment where we were talking about, you know, what to do when you get caught right getting down to the nitty gritty. Okay, so you're having fun frolicking the meadow and the landowner comes up, and this guy, John Moses said that it's really good to have an apple on you because you just get the apple out and you start eating it and it just has this like sort of like conveys the sense of being at ease, and it kind of like puts some slightly you know, off God or whatever. And I was just thinking, this is crazy talk. And there's a there's there's a Monty Python thing about you know, how to defend yourself with a piece of fruit. Fruit, right, what you're going to do if you're walking home tonight and someone attacked you with a bunch of loganberries.
Speaker 4: And I was thinking like this.
Speaker 3: I was like, is this actually And I was looking around the room and people taking notes, people nodding along, and I was like, this is really crazy. And I wrote this up and people were reading it. People were laughing, people were in hysterics, and this was for real, right, I'm like, yeah, one hundred percent, so I've done a confession.
Speaker 4: You've done it, So you've done it.
Speaker 2: Some of these techniques are absolutely things that I've done when I've been caught fishing paces that I shouldn't. I shouldn't have been caught fishing technique. I've never used the apple technique. Possibly do that, you know, the ignorance technique.
Speaker 3: Tique is a great one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean there is. There's plenty of techniques. And I was thinking, I was thinking about the whole access thing, and I thought, I've never I've never actually felt like this anywhere I couldn't go as in, like I've never thought I'd love to be on top of that hill. And I'm not I never felt that. But in fishing, yeah, there is like little backstreams of rivers that are you know, just because there's an industrial unit there that's not good for wildlife. It's not like a wildlife it's not like a field margin and the thing it is a it's just like a a part of a river. And I thought, that's where the fish are. I want to fish there, So I.
Speaker 3: Kind of how can we get that changed? How could we kind of open up fishing opportunities for more people in those sort of you know places wackwater bailiffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, round them all up against also people people poaching and stealing fish. That's one of the reasons. So they don't want to police it. They don't want people. There's probably a bit like the camping argument. They don't want people sitting out camping, camping on a weir pool, drinking beer, lighting fires, putting put like irresponsible fishermen are terrible, leaving line on the floor, rubbish litter that. I mean, you can't keep the scroats away, but it doesn't stop me wanting to catch the fish.
Speaker 3: And irresponsible I think we've all fished in places that we shouldn't have been fishing and in some ways, you know, oncoming ground. That's partly where it came from, was being a little boy wanting to go and fish, wanting to go with my terrier to try and catch rabbits in places.
Speaker 4: But as you say, yeah, I mean I kind of agree.
Speaker 3: It's interesting. I just found lots and lots of people who who felt they could walk anywhere, and particularly the people from abroad. That was really interesting. People who were saying that, you know, Britain is a place where you can really you know, you can really roam.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's that comparative analysis you think about where you're coming from. If you mentioned right at the beginning of the book you were talking to an American journalist, Yes, and she was talking about land access in the States. It made me when I read that, it made me think about Steve Ranella, the meat eater guy. His brother Matt Renella, has a completely counter campaign running which is trying to stop hunting social media from publicizing things and getting to into hunting. Yeah. So he's got this Hunt Quietly movement, which is trying to maintain the public access by trying to reduce poor behavior that's amazing and that's and it's so it's really interesting to listen to I like listening to his stuff. And I've been on his podcast talking about the UK sort of situation because the access to land there is it's weirdly, it's sort of the public publicly held land is almost communist in the American in the American sense, and the public lands and this is held in trust for the nation for everyone to use is a very non American idea.
Speaker 3: It feels like, yeah, yeah, that's really interesting. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this when he was taught, he was amazed that you could have effectively foot high way. He's running zigzagging back in American stalking ground.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like Nathaniel Hawthorne writes about that that like, yeah, like these and you can't build over them, you can't divert them. And yeah, it's really it's really so curious. It's so curious these comparisons. But at the same time, I mean, look, so access might be very good, but I do think and it's a point I come to at the end, I wish there were more opportunities to engage, you know, I mean, why aren't there more people out there talking? Why aren't there more people, you know, feeding and maintaining flight ponds, and you know, there are just all sorts of things we could and should be doing. And I think that's it's it's easy to point to them. It's much harder to work out how we create those connections. But that's where our focus should be. And I worry that if we bash each other over the head with is access good or isn't it good? You know, as a kind of big stick, then we kind of lose sight of really what we should be talking about.
Speaker 1: So what would you like people to do after listening to this podcast in relation to this?
Speaker 3: You've got to buy the book, right, And I'm not just talking about one copy. I'm talking about two, three, four five cop exactly. I want to bang. I want to like brat Summer. I mean, you know, there are enough people out there trying to.
Speaker 1: Six people in our audience. Know what that means?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Exactly?
Speaker 3: People?
Speaker 4: What what the hell is that? No? You know? Yeah? I mean, honestly, like.
Speaker 3: Read it, enjoy it. I think it's a fun read. I think it's a fun read. I mean, I hope, I hope you you you know, raise a smile. I mean, that's something the observer pointed out. They said, you're very funny at points. You know, it's a kind of it's in some ways a bit of a love letter to English eccentricity. But but I think what I want people to do is I want them to read and I want them to think.
Speaker 4: It's not a polemic.
Speaker 3: You know, it's an inquiry and it puts lots of different points of view across and sure I have a point of view, but it's there quite quietly.
Speaker 4: I want people to.
Speaker 3: Come away thinking that they've been introduced to people and places and complex arguments that they weren't aware of before.
Speaker 1: Callum, you look like you're going to say something.
Speaker 2: I was just going to ask, where can where can people find you on the social media's or on.
Speaker 3: The social medias? Oh, I'm I'm gonna I'm not off social media, but I don't use it as much as I used to. People might find it disappointing. Yeah, you follow on Instagram, follow an Instagram occasionally look at Twitter and then I think, oh my god, why did I do that?
Speaker 4: Or X or whatever you call it.
Speaker 3: Now. Yeah, I'm kind of like, I don't know, I kind of I'm increasingly getting to a place where I like to write things. I like people to read them. I like I like to engage with people that way, or rather actually not engage with them that way rather than rather than you know, on social media having a back and forth.
Speaker 1: If people are subscribing to you on social media, they might be expecting all these epic shots of all your adventures outdoors. But it does just seem to be a lot of drinking coffee and sort of nice shots of the corner of a window and this very nice cafe down the road. Is it like you do seem to have a very a life, like it's like of for Ben Elton film.
Speaker 3: I don't even know who Ben Elton is, but yeah, no, I I move a mover. I kind of yeah, I'm quite nomadic. I'm kind of in London a lot. I love being in London, but I also like getting away from London. And yeah, I spend a lot of time in Norfolk, so I kind of sometimes you get the occasionally I like rush back from Norfolk having been stalking and like I get my timing slightly wrong and I end up at like a book launch in South Kent in kind of covered in you know, munk Jack piss or whatever and you kind of yeah, gone between the.
Speaker 1: Two, launched that as your own fragrance.
Speaker 3: Exactly, exactly, Yeah, yeah, yeah, a little bit of Jack Green, a little, a little there's a sweetness to munk Jack. But yeah, it's been a Yeah, I've been shooting a lot of munk Jack because I'm getting married soon and I decided i'd put munk Jack on the menu.
Speaker 4: So I've just been just slaying munk Jack.
Speaker 1: Well, I think there's that's there's no better place to end the podcast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And also I think you know, the other thing is I just want to say a final thing is like if you're listening to this podcast and you know, you want to go out and you want to shoot munch Jack, want to shoot rabbits, you want to do whatever, and you know like like try, you know, really like connect with people and knock on doors and so on. I had a really good chat. You know that guy who does Tommy's Outdoors that podcast. Yeah, he was saying to me he's a Polish guy who lives in Ireland, and he was saying that he just like spent a lot of time knocking on doors asking if you could come and shoot people's deer, and he said he's got like so much deer stalking now. He's also met so many people, and yeah, you know, I think I think people are a lot more welcoming than you know, we often realize. So you know, yeah, do what you want to. Life is short, right, have fun and engage with nature as much as you possibly can, and ask for more. We should definitely all be asking for more and asking for more for other people as well.
Speaker 1: So Patrick Gawbray, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Thank you