Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange.
Speaker 3: County and your host Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, it is five o'clock. This is your wake up call for Monday, October fourteenth. I'm Amy King. How about them Dodgers? Did to watch the game last night? Nine nothing? What a great way to start a series. We'll see what happens today. They got a day game today, but think things are looking pretty good for my boys in blue. Thirty three scoreless innings for the Dodger pitching staff.
Speaker 4: Right, so that ties the record.
Speaker 1: So if if they go scoreless in the first inning of today's game, that's a new Major League record. Unbelievable, pretty impressive. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. A forty nine year old man arrested at a checkpoint near Trump's rally in Coachella says he was not planning to kill the former president and is actually a Trump supporter.
Speaker 4: Several weapons were found in his car.
Speaker 1: Riverside County Sheriff Chad Bianco says the guy from Las Vegas All has also said several passports an unregistered vehicle and fake license plates. A HESBELA drone attack on an army base in central Israel has killed four soldiers and wounded seven others. The IDFs as the attack was the deadliest strike by HESBOLA since Israel launched its ground division into Lebanon nearly two weeks ago. We're going to get the latest from Jerusalem with ABC's Geordana Miller in less than five minutes. And as I mentioned, the Dodgers decimated the Mets nine to nothing in Game one of the National League Championship Series. The best of seven series continues this afternoon two Dodger Stadium. We're also going to be checking in with ABC's Jim Ryan in Tampa to see how cleanup is going after Hurricane Milton. ABC Stephen Portnoy's gonna tell us what the latest polls are saying about who's going to be the next one sitting in the White House. And there's another shuttle in southern California, a space shuttle. You can see it on the streets of LA This week, we're going to tell you about that before the top of the hour. Also coming up this hour, I love this. We have tickets for you an acoustic evening with Rick Springfield and Richard Marks at the Crito Center for the Performing Arts.
Speaker 4: Doesn't that sound very cool? That's coming up this hour.
Speaker 1: Let's get started with some of these stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A man from Las Vegas caught with guns and fake id's outside the Trump rally and Coachella Valley says he was not there to kill Trompe, claims to be a supporter. VM Miller was arrested Saturday at a checkpoint leading into the venue. Riverside County Sheriff Chad Bianco called the arrest a thwarted assassination attempt.
Speaker 5: It's all going to be speculation about what his intentions were getting there. What we do know is he showed up with multiple passports with different names, an unregistered vehicle with fake license plate, and loaded firearms.
Speaker 1: The sheriff says Miller appeared to be a member or admirer of so called sovereign citizens who don't believe the government has authority over them. The Secret Service, as former President Trump was not in any danger and that a federal investigation is ongoing.
Speaker 4: A nineteen year.
Speaker 1: Old man's been arrested for allegedly killing his father in the San Gabriel Mountains. The father was killed Saturday on Mount Baldy Road near Stoddard Canyon Falls. Sheriff's deputies say he had trauma to his upper body. A man seen driving off crashed a few miles away. He turned out to be the dead man's son. He's been booked on suspicion of murder. President Biden has toured parts of Florida impacted by two major hurricanes. Visit yesterday was the second in two weeks. Biden announced more than six hundred million dollars for projects related to hurricanes Milton and Helene.
Speaker 6: This is all team effort, folks. You made a big difference and has saved lives, but there's much more to do. We're going to do everything we can to get power back in your home, not only help when you recover, but to help you build back stronger.
Speaker 1: Nearly eight hundred thousand homes and businesses are still without power as of yesterday. Florida Governor Rond de Sande says FEMA will pay for one hundred percent of debris removal for ninety days. SpaceX has pulled off a successful test flight of its enormous Starship rocket. The empty starship launched yesterday in southern Texas and arked over the Gulf of Mexico. Then a few minutes later, mechanical arms stretched out and caught the rocket booster back at the launch pad.
Speaker 7: We have successfully.
Speaker 3: Copy Easter.
Speaker 1: The spacecraft splast into the Indian Ocean as planned. Another first for SpaceX. So impressive. I would have loved to have seen that. I think I'm gonna have to go and google it. Let's say good morning too, ABC's Geordana Miller in Jerusalem.
Speaker 4: Good morningda.
Speaker 1: Israel continues to take heap for airstrikes into Lebanon, but meanwhile Hesbola just continues to love hundreds of rockets into Israel.
Speaker 8: That's right, rockets, missiles, anti tank missiles, and drones. One yesterday hitting an IDF military base injuring dozens, and overnight four soldiers that were severely injured died of their wounds. So this strike now on a base in central Israel, killing four soldiers, another fifteen are recovering or trying to recover from you know, very serious injuries, and another thirty or so from shrapnel wounds. This was you know, a very that terrible and painful day for Israel, given you know, this was a combat training base for Gobani. It's one of Israel's, Israel's really premiere fighting unit. And we heard the Israeli Defense Minister talk about what a painful day it was, and that Israel's investing all kinds of efforts to try to come up with better solutions for combating has Bolla drones. They've persistently been a problem for the Israeli army through this war. They're small, they fly low, they have a short flight path, and they can switch, you know, they can twist and turn before they hit their target, which is usually programmed by twops, very very specific you know locators, and you know they're hard to detect and shoot down because of all of that. So they have really been one of Hsbala's quote unquote best weapons against Israel. And yesterday they have this drone happened to hit a dining hall where dozens of soldiers that just come in, you know, to sit down and eat.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, Jordan, I'm curious because we've talked about and heard about so much in the last year about the number of people killed in Gaza, that the Gaza's health ministry, which is run by Hamas, is in like forty thousand something to that effect. Lebanon's health ministry is saying that how many people have been killed there? We don't hear much about Israel I mean for yesterday, and I think there were a couple more of the week before.
Speaker 4: Do we have any idea.
Speaker 1: How severely Israel's military has been hit during all of this.
Speaker 4: Or do they just kind of keep it we.
Speaker 8: No, they don't keep it quiet. Every soldier that is killed, there's an announcement. Every soldier that's severely wounded. By the way, there's also an official announcement from the Israeli army. And if you can believe it, every person who's been killed in this war and now since not you know, if we don't look at October seventh, right, but we look at since Israel went into Gaza at the end of October, since the ground operation began in Gaza then later in Lebanon, there have been about four hundred soldiers killed. And you know, their funerals are always broadcast clips of their funerals on the Israeli media here, so you know, there's no hiding who's been killed. It's over four hundred soldiers in the north. There have been about three dozen civilians that were killed before Israel went in on the ground in southern Lebanon, and the fighting now between Israel and Husbala is particularly intense. It has intensified. You know, on average, there's about two hundred and fifty Hasbala rockets and drones and missiles fired, you know onto northern Israel and those most of the areas are evacuated, but some of them are not. I mean the Haifa bay and area, there's about a million Israelis there and earlier today has balafired on central Israel and that you know, put off sirens. Another one million people around Natanya and Herzelia, the coastal areas. So, you know, has Bala even though they've been hit very hard in their leadership, Israel taken out dozens of Husbala leaders. You see, they had such a huge arsenal of weapons that they are still able to fire mid and short and long ridge missiles on Israel. Right, they are not. They're not defeated, and Israel knows that. Right, even though they've made what Israel considers good ground in setting Hasbala back and harming them. They know they're still still a formidable enemy, right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, well, thank you so much for the update, Jordana. We appreciate it as always, and we'll talk to you again.
Speaker 8: No problem, We'll talk soon, all right, take you by.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom of fire that has burned about two hundred acres near Beaumont is twenty percent surrounded. Officials say fire crews have stopped it from spreading. The fire started it yesterday afternoon in the hills near the sixty Freeway and Jack Rabbit Trail. There were no injuries or evacuation orders. People in Pasadena are being urged to be cautious because of coyotes.
Speaker 9: Coyote sightings in the city increased by seventy percent during the first eight months of the year compared to last year. Pasadena Public Health Acting Director Manuel Carmona says despite the sightings, there have been no reports of coyotes attacking humans in years.
Speaker 10: But in terms of attacks on pets, that is something that happens rather frequently, and it's just a matter of you know, in fact the coyotes you see small pets such as cats and small dogs as brave.
Speaker 9: Officials say people should keep cats indoors and make sure dogs are supervised. They also say people shouldn't leave pet food outside. Chris Sadler KFI News.
Speaker 1: And maybe parachutist has missed a landing spot and crash landed on a woman and a teenager during a Fleet week air show in San Francisco. Six members of the Navy Leapfrogs jumped out of a plane yesterday. One missed the planned mark and landed on the spectators. San francisc Go Fire Departments is the woman and teens suffered minor injuries, but the mother was taken to the hospital just in case to be checked out. The jumper was not injured. Some of the leading sports venues in Australia are pushing for a regular season NFL game to be played down Under. Officials from Sydney, Melbourne and Perth all flew to London over the weekend to meet with NFL representatives during the Week six game between the Bears and Jaguars in the UK. One of the Aussie venues in the running is the famous Melbourne Cricket ground, which has the capacity of one hundred thousand fans. A man from Las Vegas who says he's a Trump supporter, has been arrested outside the former president's rally in Coachella after being found in possession of guns, ammunition, fake passports, and fake license plates. The Riverside County Sheriff says he believes his deputies prevented a third assassination attempt on Trump. A new NBC News poll shows former President Trump and Vice President Harris are locked in a dead heat just twenty two days from election day. Trump and here each received forty eight percent support from likely voters in the poll. Ten percent of those polled said they might still change their minds. Crowds have gathered Newport Beach to see the waves glowing, Yeah, glowing. It's a phenomenon caused by living organisms that emit light in response to being agitated by the waves. It's called bioluminescence. It's not clear how long it's going to be around, but it is common around this time of year. Orange County Outdoors told KTLA there were also some dolphins swimming around near the beach and they were lighting up too, but that was a sight coming up this hour an Acoustic Evening with Rick Springfield and that's Richard Marks that come into the Cirito Center for the Performing Arts on November fifteenth, and we have a pair of tickets to give away this hour during wake up call at six oh five, it's handle on the news. The US is sending some big guns into Israel.
Speaker 4: Right now.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning to ab Sees Jim Ryan in Florida. So it's drying up in Florida, but they are a long way from normalcy. What are the residents who are evacuated because of the storm finding as they get back into their neighborhoods a.
Speaker 11: Big, big mess, full disclosure, not in Florida, any Oh you're not you went home? Yeah, this is really a tragic situation down there. They still have four hundred and six thousand power outages across Florida, and they're primarily concentrated on the west part of the state where the storm came ashore.
Speaker 4: But you can follow the.
Speaker 11: Outages on this map that shows almost exactly where the storm went, where Hurricane Milton went after it made landfall, going up to the northeast of there and then jumping back into the Atlantic and Volusia County. Valusia has ten thousand power outages today, So yeah, still a difficult situation. Their fuel is hard to come by. And what's more, amy even some places that didn't flood as a direct result of Hurricane Milton are flooding now because the runoff for Milton, that's very, very flat country out there in Florida, was flowing into creeks. The creeks flow into streams, the streams flow into, for example, the Saint John's River on the east side of the state or the Hillsboro River on the west side of the state, and suddenly you've got flooding in areas that didn't have flooding before. The rivers crested over the weekend and flood waters were flowing out into neighborhoods. Again, you had even under Sunny Skies high water rescues going on.
Speaker 1: So it was that sort of a surprise or had they been warned that that that was coming.
Speaker 11: There were warnings about that late last week, But yeah, I think people were a little incredulous, right, They thought, that's nothing going to happen, And would I, by the way, have flood insurance if I live forty miles inland from the coast, well because of something like this, and yeah, unfortunate, I think unforeseen consequence of a hurricane like Milton.
Speaker 1: You mentioned flood insurance, you know that like in North Carolina where they had those devastating floods in the mountains that they really weren't expecting. And probably people are like, we're not going to have floods, so we don't have flood insurance. Does kind of everybody in Florida have flood insurance?
Speaker 11: No. My understanding is about something like the twenty percent of the population has flood insurance, and folks living inland they don't bother checking and taking that policy out, and now they're finding out that it probably is a good idea. I think people around the country who think they don't have a threat of flood might want to take a look at that as well. But in Florida, the average cost of flood insurance through the NFIP, the National Flood Insurance Program is seven hundred and seventy six dollars per year. But those rates are going to go up as we have more flooding going on. In one zip code there in Florida, the average annual bill could be four thousand dollars as a result of these hurricanes that we keep seeing there.
Speaker 1: I heard too, I was reading a story over the weekend about that. The other issue with some of the people who do have flood insurance is that as they're filming out their claims, they have to distinguish whether it was Hurricane Helene or Hurricane Milton.
Speaker 4: And so that's causing like a.
Speaker 1: Paperwork problem because they're not sure which funds to go through or something like that.
Speaker 4: So just got to cut through the red tape people.
Speaker 11: Yeah, well, and of course some people are dealing with the day aftermath of both storms. If you live there in Sarazola County or in outside Tampa, you got damage from both storms. So yeah, you can imagine the complication of writing a check to some homeowner because they have both kinds of insurance, are both kinds of damage or from both storms. So yeah, it's a complicated process regardless.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if you know this, but if water gets into a house like it hasn't, it's there for a couple of days at least for what we're seeing, before it starts receeating. Can you fix that home or is it basically a tear down because the water is just wrecked it.
Speaker 11: You can't fix it. You can get in there. Most likely the carpet is destroyed. They try drying it out. Your insurance agent will say, we're gonna get some fans and there, we'll try to blow it out. And if it's not too badly soaked, and if it hasn't gone too long, it could be okay. They're gonna have to cut away the dry wall because once the dry wall is wet, then it starts to mold. After a couple of days, the studs should be okay. But you know, in some places, You're right, it's just kind of a tear down if the damage is that extensive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then I'm seeing pictures and a video of neighborhoods where you see there's obviously some damage, the houses are still standing, but then you can't see the roadway because it is literally covered with sand. Now, so how are they do? They just have bulldozers out there.
Speaker 11: And clear in the roads, right, Yeah, they've got bulldozers and front loaders and different pieces of equipment out there. Why the National Guard was in place to push away some of the debris, whether it's palm trees or you know, other trees that have fallen or sand there along the shoreline to try to get the roads cleared so that utility crews can get down there and start restoring power. But I mean, still, what are we four days, one, two, three, four days after the storm came ashore, four hundred thousand homes and businesses still.
Speaker 8: Have no power.
Speaker 1: The only good thing about that is, like you said, that the weather's pretty decent. It's not like one hundred degrees and super super mundy.
Speaker 11: That was one thing. The day after the storm, the weather in Tampa was kind of nice. It was beautiful. It was cool and dry, and so it was nice. But the other part is, don't forget about western North Carolina. They have a major recovery underway, and I think it's being overshadowed now by Florida and Milton.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because like we said, they weren't expecting it, so they hadn't prepared for it. So it's going to be a long roadback for everybody. Thank you so much for the information, and as always, Jim, we'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 11: Thanks. Amy.
Speaker 1: The company that owns seven eleven says it's closing more than four hundred underperforming stores in North America.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine the seven Elevens closing now? That's crazy.
Speaker 1: No list of locations has been given, The company said in an earning support last week that is shutting down the stores for various reasons, including slowing sales, declining traffic, inflationary pressures, and a decrease in cigarette sales. There are more than thirteen thirteen thousand, seven elevens across the US, Canada, and Mexico. A man who police a drove the wrong way on pch and Hermosa Beach and caused a head on crash has been arrested after police spotted him walking down the street covered in blood. It happened on Friday night. The other driver has minor injuries, please say. The guy was found and arrested about three hours after the crash. LA's temporary outdoor dining program could become permanent, making.
Speaker 7: It easy to offer outdoor dining was a move the city made to help restaurants during the pandemic, but city Councilman Nythia Rahman, who's pushed to keep it in place permanently, says there are high cost entries.
Speaker 12: I introduced this motion to see how we can actually make sure that the barriers that businesses are facing into making their alfresco units into permanent ALFRESCO units are addressed.
Speaker 7: The city council approved a request to have city departments look into the cost as well as the potential inefficiencies that have kept enrollment in the program below ten percent city wide in downtown La.
Speaker 1: Michael Monks KFI News LA Chargers head coach Jim Harbaugh had to briefly leave yesterday's game in Denver because of an irregular heartbeat. Harbaugh went onto the sideline medical tent, then he went into the locker room during the game. He was given an EKG that showed his heart was back to a normal rhythm, and they let him go back out onto the field about halfway through the first quarter. The Chargers went on to beat the Broncos twenty three sixteen. Of course, the Dodgers mutilated the medicine Game one of the NLCS last night, nine nothing. The Dodgers take on the New York Mets at Dodgers Stadium this afternoon for Game two of the National League Championship Series. First pitch goes out at one oh eight. You can listen to the game on AM five to seventy LA Sports and in HD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five to seventy LA Sports powered by Zenchi Sushi, Fast, Fresh and Easy. A forty nine year old man from Las Vegas has been arrested then released on bail after weapons and fake passports were discovered in his unregistered car at a checkpoint near former President Trump's rally in Coachella. The man says he had no intention of hurting the former president on Saturday. The Secret Services Trump was not in any danger at the rally. A final vote is set for today on California's plan to stop spikes in gas prices. The Senate advanced Governor Newsom's special session proposal last week, and it's back in the hands of the Assembly. Newsom wants refineries to keep a certain amount of fuel on hand to avoid a supply shortage if they go down for maintenance or an outage. SpaceX has pulled off another first. It caught a returning booster rocket that came back down at the launchpad in Texas after the star Ship rocket lifted off yesterday. So the empty starship launches it arcs over the Gulf of Mexico comes back down and gets grabbed by these big monstrous metal arms. Four other rockets launched were destroyed previously, the spacecraft it launched splashed into the Indian Ocean precisely as planned.
Speaker 4: Pretty impressive. We've got tickets too.
Speaker 1: No, Rick Springfield and Richard Marx coming to the Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts.
Speaker 4: Got a pair of tickets coming up in just minutes. Stick around.
Speaker 1: At six oh five, it's handle on the news. Governor Ron DeSantis has skipped another meeting with President Biden as Florida cleans up from hurricanes Milton and Helene. At five point fifty, we've got another space shuttle in LA. Didn't even know about it, and it's about to preay through the streets of the city. We're going to tell you all about where you can see it and when it is moving. But right now, let's say good morning, two ABC's Stephen Portnoy. Stephen, we're twenty two days away from election day, and it seems like we're getting poll results every day. I mean, it might not be every day, but it sure seems like it. What are the most recent polls show?
Speaker 13: Yeah, well, I'll tell you. I mean, we have a fresh data from ABC News, so I like to, you know, dive into our own data.
Speaker 8: So let's do it.
Speaker 1: Let's take yours.
Speaker 13: Yeah, all right, So we have it as a statistically tied race in our ABC News HIPSOS poll, Harris ahead of Trump fifty to forty eight. That is a statistical tie within the poll's margin of error, which is two points. So it's a two point lead for Harris. That is again the margin of era.
Speaker 1: That's a tie.
Speaker 13: In the battleground states, Stephen Closer tied at forty nine percent apiece. The seven battleground states that will decide this.
Speaker 1: Election, all seven of them are tied at forty nine.
Speaker 13: Well, as an average, we look at right exactly yah now, but if you look at the five thirty eight polling average of each of those states, you see it's basically just about except with one or two exceptions within one percentage point. In terms of the various leads that either Harris or Trump had, there's a large gender gap in our nationwide serve if women favor Harris by nine points, men favor Trump by eight And looking deeper inside the demographics, African American men a major focus of the Harris campaign, this week, specifically today, she's unveiling a raft of new policies to benefit black men in this country. Eighteen percent of African American men now favor Trump. That's worrisome for the Democrats. It is about the same level of support for Trump we saw in our polling four years ago seventy six percent of Black men favor Harris. And in a close election as this one is, it'll be decided on the margins. Trump's game has been to cut into Harris's support among African American men. If you can continue to do that, the race might be his now. On the issues, voters trust Trump more than Harris to handle the economy, and among those who say the economy is getting worse and most voters do, three quarters of them say they prefer Trump. Another significant finding in our poll comes to an issue that weighs in Trump's favor.
Speaker 1: That's immigration.
Speaker 13: A majority in our survey fifty six percent say that all immigrants in the country illegally should be deported. That is a twenty percentage point jump on that question in our polling from eight years ago. In twenty sixteen, Trump has made this an issue, and increasingly he's brought voters along voters like the proposals that Harris Is brought to the table, such as a six thousand dollars per trial tax credit, a twenty five thousand dollars grant to first time home buyers, limits on grocer's profits. When those issues are put to voters, majorities find them favorable. Majorities also like them of Trump's proposals, including an end to taxes on Social Security benefits tariffs on imports. They do not like Trump's proposal to lower the corporate tax rate. That's one area where Trump is finding that he's not raising a popular.
Speaker 1: Issue except for the corporate guys.
Speaker 4: They like it.
Speaker 1: Sure course.
Speaker 13: Look, Trump has a town hall tonight outside of Philadelphia. Harris is also in Pennsylvania, in the western part of the state, and eerie because that state, with its nineteen electoral votes, is going to be pivotal, and mars is it's her tenth visit to that state since she's become the nominee. Similarly, Trump has made repeat visits to Pennsylvania. This is, as I understand it, one of his first stops in the Philadelphia suburbs. And you know, we could talk about all of his efforts in recent days, particularly the rally in Coachella on Saturday to appear in blue states. You know, there are a couple of theories about that.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you about that, Yeah, right.
Speaker 13: One the theory that I have is that Trump is trying to boost his support in the popular vote. He obviously wants to win the electoral college, that's the game. But the thinking amongst pundits for years has been that Donald Trump is not going to win the popular vote. That he did not win it in twenty sixteen, he did not win it in twenty twenty. But now we see a national race that is so close that if Trump can encourage enough of his supporters to come out in states where he's not expected to win the state wide vote, perhaps he will narrow that gap in the popular vote, maybe even win it. It's insignificant when it comes to the outcome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it doesn't matter, That's right.
Speaker 13: But nevertheless, it undermines an argument that liberals democrats have made that the electoral college itself is a flawed system and that Donald Trump doesn't have legitimacy as president even if he wins the electoral college because most Americans didn't vote for him if that turns out not to be the case and most Americans do vote for Trump, well, then that completely undermines the Democratic argument and it gives Trump more of a mandate if he is to become the forty seventh president.
Speaker 1: Is there also some thought that by him showing up and hope and as he hopes to increase the number of votes that he gets in states that he's not going to win, that he might help with some of the down ballots.
Speaker 13: There's part of that. I mean, look, there's always the idea that you know, there's either a House member or a senator who may be on the bubble and a Trump rally can help. There's no doubt that that's part of it. And encouraging Trump supportvoters to come out and vote for those down ballot candidates when they otherwise might just send it out and say, oh, I live in southern California. Doesn't matter because I'm a Trump voter. But the overall, you know, the state and it's fifty four electoral votes are going to go to Kamala Harris no matter what. Why bother wasting, you know, whatever time it takes to go to the polling place and vote. I think you know Trump may have that in mind too.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we'll be watching interesting, interesting stuff. So looking forward to talking to you many more times before the election, which is just three weeks away. Can you believe it?
Speaker 13: I can't wait.
Speaker 1: After watching all the news shows yesterday, I can't wait either. I'm so sick of the ads, and we're not in one of the states that's being bombarded with the presidential ads, which I'm thankful for.
Speaker 8: Sure.
Speaker 13: Well, you have a Senate race and a whole bunch of other important races that DA's race too.
Speaker 1: We'll be watching it all too, Yes, we do, thank you so much, Steven Portinoy. You bet all right. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Prosecutors in La sam Bernardino and Riverside Counties have fun Lamps plus four point one million dollars for unfair competition and false advertising LUs.
Speaker 2: Civil Law Enforcement complain alleges. Lamps plus advertised price protection policies price match and one hundred and twenty percent price match guarantee, but didn't disclose the policies didn't apply to its own products. Riverside County DA spokeswoman Talia Hayden says the company claimed the product was a bargain when it didn't even have a competitor.
Speaker 14: Also, the strike through advertised reference price on sales tags was allegedly used to indicate a bargain price even where the advertised former price was not an actual former price.
Speaker 2: Lamps Plus did not have to admit wrongdoing last week for the stipulated judgment. Corbin Carson Kfin.
Speaker 1: News China has started doing large scale military exercises surrounding Taiwan. Warplanes, helicopters, and drones have been spotted today within Taiwan's Air Defense Identification Zone. The drills followed Taiwan's celebration last week of its National Day. China's Defense Ministry says the drills are a response to the Taiwan East President's refusal to accept Beija's demand that Taiwan acknowledge itself as part of the People's Republic of China. The horror movie Terrifier three, about a killer clown, has scared its way into first place at the box office. The ultra gory slasher movie earned just over eighteen million dollars. The Joker sequel Joker foley An d'eux only took in seven million dollars in its second weekend. It falls to third place. The wild Robot I still haven't seen that was in second place for the second week in a row. Forty nine year old man from Las Vegas has been arrested after weapons and fake passports were discovered in his unregistered car with fake license plates at a checkpoint outside former President Trump's rally in Coachella on Saturday. The man said he's a Trump supporter and has no intention of hurting President Trump or former President Trump. He was released on bail. He'll be facing charges, but those won't come up until January. The US Coast Guard is watching the waters off the coast of la because of a black substance in the world. The Coast Guard says it checked it out and it is soot, but officials don't know where it's coming from. This year's Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences has been awarded to three US based economists.
Speaker 4: I'm going to try this name.
Speaker 1: Darren Agimolu, Simon Johnson and James Robinson are going to share the award. It's given for helping to demonstrate how societal institutions that exploit people do not generate economic growth or positive change. That same seems to make sense. We're just minutes away from a handle. On the news this morning, FEMA has paused activities in North Carolina out of an abundance of caution. We were trying to connect and did we connect. We did not connect. Okay, So we're trying to connect with somebody because from the California Memorial Space Center because who knew we had another shuttle. We know about the Space Shuttle Endeavor. We've shared it. In fact, you can still go onto my Instagram at Amy K. King because we went and saw it when it was in flying position at the California Science Center, like right before they moved it. And now it's in its upright launch position and they're literally building the building around it for its final display, which is going to be really cool. But we have another shuttle in Los Angeles and I have no idea about this. So now let's say good morning to the president and executive director of the California Memorial Space Center, Ben Dickow. Good morning, Ben, Good morning, than We're doing great. Thanks so much for getting up early and talking to us on wake up call. We just found out about this last week. They said we got another shuttle and it's moving through the streets of LA And I was like, what, I didn't even know there was another one. So can you tell us about this before we talk about the journey? The shuttle inspiration?
Speaker 4: What is it? Where did it come from? Where has it been sure?
Speaker 15: So we're at the Columbia Mortgigs Space Center and we are in down in California on the site where all the Apollo spacecraft and all the space shovels were designed and built back in the day. And our space shuttle inspiration is the full scale one to one engineering mock up. This is the first space shuttle ever built in nineteen seventy two to figure out how do you build space shuttles to actually go in the space. And it's been on our site since it was built, you know, fifty years ago, and lately for the past fifteen years it's been in storage and we're bringing it out of storage to rehabit incut it on permanent.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 4: We have a space shuttle. It's in storage.
Speaker 15: I know, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, So I love this idea because we were just before you came on.
Speaker 4: We were talking about that.
Speaker 1: I've been to the California Science Center and seeing Endeavor and it's so so impressive and just to see that this is the one that it didn't actually fly, but it's the one that the space shuttles are all style after and modeled after. So now you have to get it to a place where people can see it. So let's talk a little bit about that. So you're going to parade it through the streets of LA this week.
Speaker 15: So it's going to go down the streets of the streets of Downey, but you know basically LA, which is that Downey is only about ten miles south of downtown Los Angeles. So yeah, we're moving it from that storage the public works yard, the storage place down the streets to a new temporary structure that we just built last week. It's about one hundred feet by two hundred and twelve feet. It's spatial tipping and it's going to go in that temporary structure and it's going to get a full rehabilitation. You know, we're going to assess it. It hasn't been on displayed for the public for, like E said, around fifteen years. So we're going to it needs a math, it needs you know, you might need a little TLC. And that's that starts in a you know, about a month or so once it's in the look in its temporary location, and then early next year we break around in a brand new building and that will be the permanent.
Speaker 11: Home for it.
Speaker 15: So it's going to get rehabbing the temporary structure for about a year year and a half. We have to have to line up the construction schedule and everything, and then we move it into its permanent location. Any exciting thing about this is that, because this shuttle is you know, an object of our museum of the Columbia Modian Space Center, we're going to be able to get people inside of our space shuttle once it goes on this way. Really, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's going to be cool because I've gone to see the endeavor and you get to look at it, but you know, you can't touch it, so you get to go inside it. That will be spectacular.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's going to be it's gonna be exciting.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the exciting thing we're gonna we'll plan to talk to you again as we get closer to us, so we can talk about the unveiling and maybe come down and see it.
Speaker 8: And yeah, that's definitely But for.
Speaker 1: Right now, the exciting thing is it's going to be traveling through the streets of Downy and so can people come out and watch it.
Speaker 15: Absolutely so. We will start to move around nine in the morning on Thursday, October seventeenth, just a few days away, and people can come and line the line the street and check it out as it goes down the streets. It's going down Belfall with Boulevard. We've got the street closed off between Imperial and Washburn. Those of you familiar with felthyas l A you'll know the location, but more precisely actually it's going down Balfour Boulevard from the corner of Steve horn Away and Washburn Boulevard. So if you can come out there check it out, watch it go down the street. We're going to do a little press conference closer to ten am and then and then it starts getting moved into its new building.
Speaker 4: Okay, so it's only going to take about an hour to move it.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's not We're not going all over the place. But you know what we are making. The biggest deal out of this is possible. It's going to be the most spectacular, you know, one hour move that anybody's ever seen.
Speaker 4: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 1: And where can people find out more information about the shuttle and about the about the California Memorials Space Museum and where do they go?
Speaker 15: Sure, the Columbia Memorial Space Center. And that's because where the national not it's okay, but we're the national memorial to the Columbia Space Shuttle. And you can find us and all the socials So at Columbia Space. That's our social handle or our website which is Columbia Space Science dot org Colombia Space Science dot org. And we have some links and to information about the shuttle itself and about what's going on. And I know on Instagram we've been pushing out the move the location so people can see exactly where it's going.
Speaker 4: Okay, so check it out on Instagram. I love this.
Speaker 1: And then I I think I need to come and visit your place because I didn't even know it was there. And I love that you have a memorial for Columbia. I mean, you know they deserve that.
Speaker 15: I r I agree, and yeah, I mean your story is not is not uncommon story.
Speaker 12: We are a.
Speaker 15: Gem that is often undiscovered. But but that's why we're doing this, because when I'm talking to you, that's why we're doing all this kind of stuff. That's let people know that there's there's this amazing resource here in Los Angeles. And you know, now we have the first shuttle and the last shuttle ever built, and it's a it's a really nice bookend for southern California.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Benda cal Thank you so much for your time this morning. And again, if you want to go and follow it, it's at Columbia Space on Instagram. Okay, exactly, all right, so go check it out. And again, the move is happening on Thursday. We'll be watching it.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much, Ben, Thank you so much.
Speaker 15: Take care.
Speaker 1: How cool we have another Space shuttle and we're going to be able to go inside this one.
Speaker 4: I'm excited for this.
Speaker 1: It's a year and I'll have to quell my enthusiasm because it's over a year away, but that's really cool. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer Kno. I'm Amy King.
Speaker 4: This has been your.
Speaker 1: Wake up Call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeart Radio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app