Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County. It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Wednesday, August seventh. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app, and whether you're streaming us or you're listening to Good Old Am six forty, we're happy you're here.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 1: I was happy watching Gabby Thomas yesterday. She's amazing. We're gonna be talking to ABC Sines de la Katera about all the happenings at the Olympics. So much fun. I can't believe it's almost done. There's only like three or for more days left. Also, did you feel it, Cono, did you feel the earthquake?
Speaker 4: I did not?
Speaker 1: You did not, Okay, like everybody, there was this group text going around and everybody was weighing in and oh yeah we felt it, we felt it. I missed out. I was asleep. I mean, I'm also the Inland Empire, so it's another sixty miles.
Speaker 5: That is true.
Speaker 1: That is true. But so it was in Kern County, but it was felt Nick felt it in Anaheim, they felt a jolt in Fullerton, it was felt in Long Beach and shaking the political world. Harrison, her new VP picked Tim Walls, hit the campaign trail. I've been watching my shows because you know, I like to watch all of the shows because I'm a junkie about political just like you know, knowing what's going on. CNN is giddy about Tim Walls. Fox is appalled, and both Harrison Walls are on the attack. It is going to be a wild, wild ride. Here's what's a head on wakeup call. As I just mentioned, Kamala Harrison, her just announced running mate Tim Wallas, have hit the ground running with a campaign rally in Pennsylvania. Walls went on the attack, saying former President Trump doesn't know the first thing about service. Harrison Walls are hitting battleground states next, including Wisconsin, Michigan, North Carolina, Georgia, and Arizona. Missouri. Democratic Representative Corey Bush has lost her primary. She's been a vocal critic of the Israeli government and its response to the Hamas terrorist attacks. On October seventh, she was beaten by Israeli group backed Saint Louis County Prosecutor Wesley Bell in the primary yesterday. She's the second so called squad member voted out this election cycle. The Lacity councils considering creating a so called bubble zones around protest sites. The motion would set up designated protest areas outside places like mosques and synagogues, and also community centers that would still allow for people to come and go to those locations. The motion now heads to the Council's Public Safety Committee for consideration. Hey, we're gonna be talking with rich Miro in just a couple of minutes a little bit early today. We've got new rules for getting into costco. Google has the new streaming device, and with the political season in high gear, is there a way to stop all those stupid political texts that you're going to be getting At six so five a handle on the news, A pole vaulter's package is breaking the Internet. You're gonna love this one. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news or more than thirty aftershocks have been felt from a magnitude five point three earths quake, in Kern County that shook many parts of southern California. The quake was located near Bakersfield. It lasted for about thirty seconds last night. This guy in Ventura says he was in bed when he felt the shaking.
Speaker 6: I heard the dogs neck door making some noise, and then I got the text from the USCS or whoever. And then about two seconds later we felt the earth start to move.
Speaker 1: Apparently the earthquake was felt as far away as Riverside, so Kono. Maybe you just weren't Maybe you were sleeping too. LA's Heavy Metal Task Force has been given a financial boost.
Speaker 7: The city council approved another two hundred thousand dollars for the specialized team of police officers targeting the growing number of criminals stealing copper wire. The money comes from Councilman Kevin Dalleyon's district office. He and Councilwoman Tracy Park announced last week the task force has made more than eighty arrests and recovered more than two thousand pounds of copper wire. Thieves have targeted street lights, darkening neighborhoods and even the new Sixth Street Bridge. They've also hit cultural monuments statues. And plaques, leading to costly repairs and replacements in downtown La. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: A man has stabbed and killed a coyote that got into his home and seeing a semi valley, and attacked his small dog. Police say that coyote got into the house Monday through a dog door. The man was bitten on his hands and arms. He's been treated at the hospital. His dog was bit in the face and head, but is expected to recover. A slight cooling tra is hitting southern California following a heat wave that brought heat advisories and excessive heat warnings to the Southland. Forecasters say closer to average temperatures are expected through Friday. By temperatures are headed back up as we head into the weekend. Vice President Harris says Minnesota Governor Tim Walls will be ready on day one. Harris introduced Walls as her running mate for the twenty fourteen or twenty twenty four presidential election at a rally in Philadelphia yesterday.
Speaker 4: Coach Walls and I may hail from different corners of our great country, but our values are the same, and we both believe in lifting people up, not knocking them.
Speaker 1: Down Walls is a former high school teacher, a high school football coach, National Guard member, and a six term member of Congress. A survey says seventy one percent of Americans don't know yet who he is. A State assembly member from the San Fernando Valleys joined with elected officials, celebrities, and child health advocates to push for the passage of the California School Food Safety Act.
Speaker 2: Anthetic food dies which are the target of this bill six synthetic food dice can cause harm to children that they can cause hyperactivity and other neurobehavioral problems in our children.
Speaker 1: Assembly Member Jesse Gabriel says that includes red dye forty. The legislation would not ban specific foods or products, but rather would encourage companies to make minor changes to products sold in California, which could encourage other states to make similar changes. The bill faces a vote in the Senate Appropriations Committee next week. Okay, we got Rich, So let's say good morning now to the host of Rich on Tech on KFI KTLA tech reporter Rich DeMuro, who we're talking to a little bit early today because we've got Anez with Olympic updates every day. So We'll be back to the normal time with Rich next week, but we get to talk to you early this week. So Rich tell us about Google's new streaming device. I'm just finally figuring out how to use my fire device, so I need a new one.
Speaker 8: Now, well, you don't need a new one necessarily, but I think that this actually competes better with what Roku has, what Apple TV has, and what Firestick has. It's one hundred dollars. It's a Google TV streamer, and basically Google has been all in on Chrome Cast for a long time, but now they're you know, this is a set top box, and so I think that it addresses a lot of the issues that people had it. It has much more power than the last device that came out with. It's got four K It's got eight hundred free live TV channels. So I was actually checking some of these out the other day. I mean, you can watch a lot of stuff for free, and of course it has AI built in. That's to be determined. I need to see how good that is. But Google has some pretty good AI for saying, hey, I want to watch a movie like this or with this person, or you know, family comedy, whatever. But this This will arrive on September twenty fourth.
Speaker 1: And do we know how much is going to cost?
Speaker 5: One hundred bucks?
Speaker 1: And you said it's got four hundred live TV channels.
Speaker 5: Eight hundred lives, eight hundred Yeah, so is.
Speaker 1: It going to have like local like I can watch Channel four and seven with it?
Speaker 5: I don't know what those channels are?
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, can I watch KTLA channel five on that?
Speaker 5: No, I've heard of that one. You know what. That's a good question.
Speaker 8: I don't know, actually, because I don't think we're on I you know, I got to look at that, because I do know you have access to a lot of those like you know.
Speaker 5: Streaming only news stations.
Speaker 8: It's just a lot of stuff, Like they have channels dedicated to I was just flipping through. It's like they have channels that just like show like you know, food channels and you know, travel stuff. But that's the biggest growing area is all these free channels that people don't want to pay for streaming services. Yeah, so Roku's got them, you know, fire TV's got them, and now Google has them too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'll be interested to see because like my my firestick or whatever, it has some channels, but It's like you can watch the news in Chicago and I'm like, I don't really care about the news in Chicago exactly.
Speaker 8: It's very hit or miss, but I think people find stuff. But yes, for for KTLA specifically, I don't know if we have a Google TV app just yet, but I know we're on Roku, Apple TV and the other one Firestick.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's coming out September twenty fourth, and then let's move on shall we know?
Speaker 4: We know that.
Speaker 5: Is it.
Speaker 1: Google's in a lot of trouble because they say that they're operating as a monopoly forcing people to use their search engines. But now Apple has something brewing with bing.
Speaker 5: Well. I thought this was pretty interesting.
Speaker 8: So we heard yesterday that, you know, the judge, federal judge ruled that Google does run an illegal monopoly when it comes to search. And the main issue is that Google pays billions of dollars to companies like Samsung and Apple and many others so that when you open up that smartphone and go to the web browser, what comes up Google by to fall right, And so Google pays a lot of money these companies to do that. And this judge said, you know what, that's really stifling the competition. We don't think that Google's a bad search engine. They actually think it's a really good search engine. He mentioned that. He said the problem is for advertise because there's no competition. Basically, all these advertisers have to use Google Search for those little text links up at the top of the results, and Google can charge as much as they want because there's no one else that you're gonna go to anyway. That's just also set it up Amy where inside this judge's report there was a mention where Apple I guess Microsoft came to Apple and said, hey, we'll put bing on the iPhone as a default, and Apple said there is no price that Microsoft could ever offer us to get us to do that, because clearly they don't like bing very much.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I guess we're not seeing that change coming. This is I'm this is an important one because if you're having an emergency, you're probably not thinking straight and you need to access those magic three numbers as quickly and easily as possible. And it's you know, you have to do certain things on your phone to get to the dialer to do the nine to one one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so I was this kind of was.
Speaker 8: You know, it's it's very appropriate today after last night's earthquake. But if you ever need help fast, yes, you can always dial nine one one, of course, but like you said, sometimes you want to do this faster, right, and so every phone and.
Speaker 5: Watch actually has a shortcut.
Speaker 8: And for most yes, so most of the phones, you can just press your side button like the power button, five times fast and that will automatically dial nine one one. Now, if you turn it off in the settings, you can go into the settings and you know, make.
Speaker 5: Sure you have that turned on.
Speaker 8: But I thought that was really interesting because you know, it could make you know, a change, if it could be the difference in life and death if you get that number dialed faster. If you have a smart watch, Apple Watch, Google Pixel Watch, or Samsung Watch, same thing on Apple Watch, you press and hold the side button the flat one, Just press and hold that. That'll bring you to the nine one one screen Google Pixel and the Samsung you can press the button five times fast and you can also ask the voice assistant Siri and Google can dial nine one one Alexa cannot. I've got all the instructions on the website so you can review them. Familiarize yourself with them before you ever need this.
Speaker 1: Okay, And you're talking more about this on this one on KTLA this morning.
Speaker 5: Right, Yes I am, and I'll show you how to do all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, very cool, that's very cool. I know that when I try to turn the phone off, it says, hey, do you want to dial nine to one one?
Speaker 5: I'm like no, that's.
Speaker 8: How people discover it, like ninety percent of the time, or you're trying to take a screenshot or something and you're like, wait, no, don't dial.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right. Always good to know how to dial nine one. Seems like it's an intuitive thing, but on smartphones it's kind of not. And one more thing, oh no, two more things. Gosh, we have so much to talk about. Costco's changing things up a little bit. Now you have to scan your membership card to get in.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I thought this was pretty interesting.
Speaker 8: Over the weekend went to Costco and first time I've ever seen this, But you have to scan your membership card. They've got like an iPad set up with a little scanner, and I guess they are verifying you are who you say you are and making sure that you are you have a valid membership to go in, and so when you scan it, I guess your picture pops up on the iPad, they verify it's you, and you can walk in. So this has obviously created a ripple effect across southern California, as I posted this to my Twitter and Facebook, and people are reporting that there's many many stores in our area have now implemented this procedure. It makes sense because they're supposed to be a member to go into Costco. But I guess a lot of people are going in with expired or inactive membership cards or just trying to use someone else's.
Speaker 1: Okay, the using someone else's I get, but the expired one wouldn't make a difference because you couldn't check out with an expired card.
Speaker 8: Oh and my favorite is when they're just like, oh, we just added your membership to the total. You just spent like three hundred bucks, yere, and we just added another like fifty or sixty whatever it is.
Speaker 1: You're like, no, okay, So something new at Costco. Okay. And then lastly, we're going to be probably inundated with political texts. I'm getting them all ready. Is there any way to stop those?
Speaker 8: Really, really tricky. So the you know, look, there are so many lists out there. We're all getting these messages that are texts that are unwanted and spam. If it's a legitimate sender, it should respond to what's called stop. So if you've got a legitimate text from someone, you can type in stop if it's from a business or political and they would stop that. But after that it gets pretty tricky because many of these are just political lists. And also, by the way, if you're on the do not Call list, that does not apply to political calls and texts, So you're kind of like basically at the mercy of deleting these things, ignoring them, or if you think it's legitimate, then you can try texting stop and see if that works.
Speaker 1: So I think the takeaway from that is you're going to be getting a lot of political texts, and.
Speaker 5: You're gonna be getting a lot.
Speaker 8: I mean, look, you can forward them to like spam spam, but I don't really think that that works, to be honest, And also it's not going to help you.
Speaker 5: It's just gonna maybe these.
Speaker 8: People text from so many different numbers, I don't think it's always the same every time, so it's just it's like, you know, you get set up unknown texts going to that unknown folder, but then sometimes your other texts going there. So I think we're all just like this is a problem, right, the bottom line.
Speaker 1: All right, and we're stuck with it, and we've got three months to the election, so I would expect it to ramp up. Rich Demiro, thank you so much for your time today. As always, we'll talk to you next week again at five twenty. But you can also listen to Rich on tech right here on KFI this Saturday from eleven to two. You can follow Rich where do we follow you? Rich?
Speaker 5: Rich on tech dot TV.
Speaker 8: I have all those instructions for the nine one one calling, and I'm gonna put some earthquake instructions up today too to get those alerts.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Thank you so much, Rich, thanks for having me. Five point three earthquake that rocked Kern County has been felt in LA and as far south as Long Beach, Anaheim, Fullerton. The quake hit at nine oh nine last night. There have been at least thirty eight after shocks that rumbled the Lamont In Great Vine areas. The largest after shock was a four point five hunting in Beach City Council is considering an ordinance that challenges the newly signed California law that bars public schools from requiring teachers to notify families if a student starts identifying as a different gender. Mayor gra C. Vandermark says he wants to make Huntington Beach the first parents right to no city. The mayor says the Fourteenth Amendment is on her side. Got to get my hers and hymns straight, saying it gives us the constitutional right to parent our children. The city of Long Beach is considering a plan to allow people to smoke marijuana at public events. Long Beach City Council talked about the plan yesterday. It would allow businesses to get temporary permits to sell pot and let people smoke it or eat it at public events. At six o five, It's handle on the news. NASA says it needs more time to come up with a plan to get two of its astronauts back to Earth. They're stuck on the space station because of issues with the Boeing Starliner. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's and As de la Katera in Paris, bonjourins.
Speaker 9: Oh the Great day for Kemu to.
Speaker 1: Say today, it is what's going on?
Speaker 9: So far, they are leading in the gold medal counts for the first time, very exciting. We now have twenty four gold medals.
Speaker 1: Nice. And then so China's still in second, that's.
Speaker 9: Right, Ta has twenty two. We're still leading also in the total medal counts with eighty six. China has sixty. But yeah, we're doing great so a few days ago though, so we still have a lot of events to get through, but certainly some welcome news.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the US women's soccer team is powering its way toward an Olympic gold medal, that's right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So they had an incredible game yesterday. They played against Germany in the semifinals. They went into extra time and it was Sophia Smith that gave the Americans the goal they needed to advance. So they did defeat Germany one to nothing, and they will be facing Brazil in the final on Saturday.
Speaker 1: And what's a vibe at thisccer games? Is it like as electric as you know other soccer matches.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I famally haven't been to the soccer games yet, but they are, I mean from what I've seen the pictures yeah, there are so many team say fans who are there cheering people on and and the women's team. I think they just have a really committed fan base. So we'll see how they do on Saturday, but we are expecting that to be a big one certainly want to watch. You've also got basketball, the team sports actually, you know, are finally they've been ongoing. They had to get through all their different rounds and all the different games, but we're now in the final stretch. So we do have basketball also who they have the men's team. They won against Brazil yesterday and they are favored to win the goal, so they are advancing. We'll see how they do, but certainly may be shocked if they didn't win the goal. They have such an incredible line up. They're on the men's basketball.
Speaker 1: Team well, and they're just demolishing their competition, aren't they.
Speaker 9: That's right. Yeah, I mean, you've got I feel like it's unfair for the other teams. You've got Lebron James and Stuff Curry and Kevin Duras and they're all teaming up for the Olympics, so it's yeah, it's always unfair for the other teams. But but yeah, They're absolutely crushing it.
Speaker 1: And I saw that Steph Curry's taking a little time out from basketball to go watch gymnastics. He was in the crowd the other night watching watching some own viles. We talked about American beauty Colley. She's pretty. Gabby Thomas yesterday, how'd she do in her two hundred meters?
Speaker 9: She is incredible? Yeah, So she won the gold in the two hundred meter final. It was a very exciting race and I think a bit of a redemption for Team USA because she beat think Lucia's Julian Alfred, who you'll remember one the gold in the one hundred meter final against she Carrie Richardson. She had Garry had been expected to win the goal. She ended up winning the silver. Julian Alfred winning the gold in that race came as a bit of a shock, I think to a lot of Team USA fans and to the fact that Gabby Thomas was able to win against herr yesterday made it, you know, all the more satisfying, and it was I think on a personal level for her, she was really outdoing herself. She had won the bronze in that same event four years ago, so very nice to see her winning the goal of this time around.
Speaker 1: Cool and then what do we got on tap for today?
Speaker 9: So today we've got some more racing. We've got the men's two hundred meter semifinal where we are expecting to see Noah Lyles, who has been dubbed the fastest man in the world. He is expected to clear that to then advance to the finals. The men's four hundred meter final is also happening today, and we've got women's basketball the quarterfinal against Nigeria.
Speaker 1: Okay, and as the Olympics get closer to wrapping up, So it's Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, so really for four more days of competition. Is what's a feeling around Paris as you're wandering around? Are people still as excited? Are they getting tired and want to go home? What's it like?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's a great question. I was just thinking about that this morning when I was out for a walk. The mood has changed, calmer, and I think that's because a lot of the events that were taking place around Paris, a different kind of iconic landmarks are winding down. So now that we've moved on to athletics, all of that is happening at the stadium there that's outside the one with the now infamous purple track that's outside of Paris, so you're not seeing as many tourists as many fans kind of milling about the downtown, you know.
Speaker 3: All the swim for.
Speaker 9: The most part, the swimming in the sun has wrapped up. There is one final event that's going to be held on the ninth, but the bike races have ended. The beach volleyball at the foot of the Eiffel Tower is winding down. So yes, it's a bit of a Calmber vibe. It is starting to feel like the beginning of the end, which is very sad. Post Olympics. Post Olympic blue, I'm told is a very real thing for athletes. I think it's probably a real thing for reporters covering the Olympics.
Speaker 3: As well well.
Speaker 1: And we will check in and hopefully you won't be in a deep depression next time we talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 5: There we go.
Speaker 3: So that's good, Thank you, Thanks.
Speaker 1: As we'll talk to you tomorrow. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A man has been killed in a road rage fight in West Hollywood, police say two men got out of their cars and started arguing after they got into a crash in a Strip mall parking lot yesterday. The fight turned physical. One of the men punched and knocked out the other man, and he died. The man who threw the punch was detained by police and taken to the hospital. News brought to you by American Vision Windows. A former safety officer with Metro is suing the trendsit agency, alleging she was fired earlier this year for filing a report about rider safety. The lawsuit, filed in La Superior Courts's Gina Osburn, was let go unlawfully in retaliation for voicing a complaint about rider safety, which the suit says was contrary to the position taken by Metro's chief executive. The suit is asking for more than seven million dollars in damages for out of pocket expenses and emotional pain. A substitute teacher from Southgate has been charged with sexually abusing two boys.
Speaker 10: One boy was allegedly abused at the age of eight, the other was allegedly abused between the ages of four and nine.
Speaker 5: Nine.
Speaker 2: What we didn't know or expect at the time of this investigation was initiated. Was how deep, dark and disturbing the acts of this individual turned out to be?
Speaker 10: Southgate Police Chief dren A Rakawa says neither boy abuse from twenty fifteen to this year was a student of Andrew Sandoval's. Police were initially tipped off to Santoval's home last month on a cyber tip that he was downloading childborn in downtown La Blake trolley kaf I News.
Speaker 1: The Palestinian militant group Hamas says, chosen a new leader following the assassination of the group's former leader in Iran. The man chosen to replace Ismael Hania is Hamas's top official in Gaza, who masterminded the October seventh attacks in Israel. US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken says ya Ya Sinwar has the power to ensure that a ceasefire deal is reached for the war in Gaza. A statue of Marilyn Monroe in Palm Springs is being moved. The twenty six foot tall Forever, Maryland statue that Monroe's famous skirt scene from nineteen fifty five's The Seven Year Itch has been called inappropriate because you can see her underwear. It's in plain view. Visitors disagreed with concerns. They say it's a great place to take photos. The statue will now be tucked away at the back of the property where it now stands away from the sidewalk, so it's not going away, it's just moving back a bit. The term campaign has called Kamala Harris's running mate West Coast wannabe, who is a dangerously liberal extremist. Republicans this morning wasted no time in branding the Kamala Harris and Minnesota Governor Tim Wall's ticket as the most liberal in American history. Walls is a former teacher and coach who served in the Army National Guard. A robber has been shot and killed by the owner of a tobacco shop in Norwalk. Police say four armed men broke into the business yesterday. The owner shot one of them. That man was found in an alley and later died. Two others ran off. They were found and arrested. The fourth person still on the loose. Border patrol agents are building a second layer of border wall near Calexico. They're using material left over from previous security construction projects. The wall being built is to stem the flow of fentanyl into the US, which agents say is crossing the border in the El Centro section. The work is being done without direct approval from Washington. At six oh five, it's handled on the news the leader of Hesbalos as an attack against Israel is coming, but they're keeping Israel waiting is part of the punishment.
Speaker 2: As on it, as.
Speaker 1: On it, Aami's on it?
Speaker 5: What am I on?
Speaker 1: I'm on streaming services checking out movies and TV shows and documentaries. Got some good ones in the queue, but I felt like, since its Olympics and there's been so much hype around Simone Biles, I should check out the Simone Biles documentary and then also the Selene Dionne documentary since she had that just freaking amazing performance at the opening ceremonies. So first, Simone Biles Rising. It's on Netflix, and it's the story of Simone from when she was a little girl to her rise to superstardom in the gymnastics world, to what happened at the Tokyo Olympics when she took herself out of the competition. Sort of goes a little deeper and explains all of that. It goes back to deciding when she wanted to go for the gold again, and how she got through what she called the twisties, that's when your mind and your body aren't working together. She basically says, she kind of forgot how to do all the amazing things that she knows how to do that nobody else in the world can do. And then it shows how she fought her way back, and it goes back to see Simona's a little girl. I mean she's little now, she's like four to eight, but when she was a little girl, she was really little, and she was still amazing. Like you could see her as soon as she got the gymnastics by like they show her like doing a flip off the beam when she was about four and she was about two feet tall, and it's absolutely adorable, and you see her poise and her strength and her ease on the apparatus, like it's just she was meant to do this. And it takes you all the way up to right before the Olympics, and of course now we know what happens, and then there's also going to be more because Simone Biles Rising has the next episode coming this fall. I didn't know that until the end of it, so that's kind of fun. But it's a fun, fun look at Simone Biles. Okay, So then onto Celen Dion. It's on Prime Video. I am Selindon. It's raw and a sometimes painful look into that very rare disease she has. It's called stiff person syndrome, like one or two people in a million get it, and it causes her muscles to spasm and freeze and then it's heightened by like noise and stress. Well that's basically performing. So it shows at the beginning show are kind of raw. She's not camera ready. You can tell she's in pain, and so you go, wow, this is really really interesting. And it also shows clips of her when she's younger, and it shows clips of her singing, and you just go goll lee. She's just so just phenomenally talented, and it makes you very sad because she hasn't performed for five years until she performed a couple of years ago. All right, a couple weeks ago. But at some point in this one, I was really disappointed, if I'm being honest, I was disappointed because it kind of it went away from what she's going through, Like I'm thinking about the Michael J. Fox documentary called Still, which I thought was just phenomenal. They did the same things, but you felt differently about Michael J.
Speaker 5: Fox.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he's more relatable or something. And Selena is just such an amazing talent. But then they show her and she's got she's got a ton of money, right, and they show kind of this opulence that makes her unrelatable and it kind of affects how empathetic I felt while I was watching it, and I was it was really it was disturbing to me because I'm like, wait, I want to feel more for her because she's going through this awful thing. And then toward the end of the show, then they show the real effects of it, Like there was one scene where she's like literally paralyzed laying there and they show how hard it was for her to sing, and she's trying to sing and she's explaining why she can't, and then you start to feel the empathy. But again, I feel like the documentary kind of missed the mark in waiting until the end of the documentary to show her vulnerability and how devastating this is. That being said, God, nobody wants to go through this, and it is an interesting watch, and I think it was especially powerful because watching her performance in the opening ceremony and how spectacular she was, and you could see the emotion on her face as she's singing and doing what she said she was born to do and has always wanted to do, and that's performance. She's on that world stage and just belting out a song so beautifully, and you could see the emotion that she misses performing, you know, So I think it's worth a watch again. Again, it's called I Am Celene Dion. It's a little tough to watch, and like I said, I'm a little bit disappointed, but I still thought it was interesting and then definitely recommend Simone Biles Rising. That's what I'm on this week, Simone and Celon Salon. Simone and Celene, two incredibly powerful and talented women. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A magnitude five point three earthquake in Kern County has been felt across southern California. The US Geological surveyces it was centered about twenty miles from Bakersfield and hid at nine oh nine last night. This guy in Bakersfield. He didn't feel a lot of shaking.
Speaker 5: It wasn't violent here at all. Definitely a rolling taking.
Speaker 4: And long.
Speaker 1: The shaking was felt for about thirty seconds. Apparently there were no initial reports of injuries or damage to buildings, but a lot of people in the Southlands say they felt it, including as far away as Fullerton, Anaheim, and Long Beach. Some La City Council members have asked for a faster process to hire LAPD officers. The city's Personnel Department General Manager Dana Brown says it's not just the process, though, it's also candidates not having patients.
Speaker 9: They have the expectation that being becoming a police officer will take a significant amount of.
Speaker 6: Time because that's truly the industry standard.
Speaker 1: Brown says, other candidates have failed to meet the physical requirements to proceed to the next level. The council's Personnel Committee voted in favor of doing an analysis that could move hiring to the police department as a possible way to speed things up. Laguna Beach is running online ads to convince all beach visitors to start behaving better.
Speaker 6: Oh, we had so many people this year, way more people than we've seen.
Speaker 11: In the past Luguda Beach mayors, who Kemp says, the ads warned the influx of new tourists that there is no drinking, alcohol, smoking, or littering on the beach.
Speaker 1: We welcome visitors to the beach and just treat it as if it was your own beach. You wouldn't leave your trash out, and you would be respectful to the people around you, particularly the lifeguards who work really hard.
Speaker 5: Kemp says.
Speaker 11: The community also called for action to stop illegal parking and public intoxication. Finds run one hundred dollars for the first events, two hundred for the second, and five hundred dollars for the third. In Orange County, Corbin Carson kf I News, a.
Speaker 1: Five point three earthquake rocked Kern County. It was felt in la and as far south as Long Beach, Anaheim, Fullerton, and out in Riverside. The quake hit at nine oh nine last night. There've been at least thirty eight aftershocks, the largest of them was four point five, and the US Geological Services get this, there's a seven percent chance a quake larger than the initial five point one three could be coming. Border patrol agents are building a second layer of border wall near Calexico. They're using materials left over from previous security construction projects. The wall being built is to stem the flow of fentanyl into the US, which agents say has been coming in at the El Centro section. The work is being done without direct approval from Washington. The Little League team from East Vale has beat Hawaii in the regional championship eleven to three. The win yesterday puts the team from Riverside County one victory away from the Little League World Series in Pennsylvania. Their chance to secure that spot is Friday at Al Houghton Stadium in San Bernardino. We're just minutes away from a handle on the news this morning, a pole vaulter package is breaking the internet. Let's say now good morning to the President and CEO of Pasadena Humane, Dia du Vernet. Good morning, Dia, Good morning Amy. Thanks for getting up early to talk to us about a couple of big events that you have coming up up at Pasadena Humane that just may end up with a wake up call listener adding a furry friend to his or her family. Let's first talk about doggie speed dating. What is it and how does it work?
Speaker 3: Well, this is so much fun. It's going to be this Sunday, and we're looking for foster families to come and speed date with some large dogs and see if they can find one they fall in love with and take home and foster. We're asking them to foster for six days and then to bring the dogs back for our Clear the Shelters events the following weekend.
Speaker 1: Oh so this is sort of a this is a lead up to the Clear the Shelters.
Speaker 3: It is you know, when dogs are in foster homes, the foster families are able to give us more information about how the dog acts in a home, what its personality is like, and just gives us a lot of great information to provide to perspective adopted families.
Speaker 1: Okay, so does it work like regular speed dating where you go from dog to dog to dog and pick out the one you want.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 3: We're going to have families spent about five minutes with each dog and then figure out which one is a perfect match for them. And we're hoping too, to recruit some new foster families. We have wonderful volunteers who foster animals in their homes all throughout the year, and this is a great opportunity to see what it's like and hopefully you'll want to do some more fostering.
Speaker 1: Lovely, Now, what Dia, What if you took a dog home to foster and you fell in love with it, could you adopt it or no?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, we call those foster failures. Of course, it's not a failure that it's really the best outcome possible for a dog to find a permanent home, but it does happen at times, and it's absolutely wonderful if fosters end up wanting to adopt their foster pets.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you're just asking for six days. So does it cost anything to participate.
Speaker 3: No, it's absolutely free. We do ask that people sign up for a session because we're going to have three one hour sessions, one starting at eleven, one at twelve, and one at one pm. So you can go online to our website Passing Humane dot org and sign up for one of these sessions.
Speaker 1: Okay, super Now that's happening this Sunday, and then next weekend we're going to clear the shelters.
Speaker 3: Yes, please, we love to clear the shelters. We'll have over two hundred pets who were a need a home Saturday, August seventeenth. The event is from ten to two and it's part of the nationwide effort. Shelters all across the country during the month are having these events. That used to be the Clear the Shelters was a one day event and it was so popular that it's expanded to a month and shelters pick what kind of adoptions specials they want to run during that month. So for us, it's free adoptions this Saturday, not this Saturday. Next Saturday, August seventeenth, from ten to two.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. And why do we need to have these Clear the Shelter events.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell you, Summer is our busiest time. We have so many animals. We actually just adopted out one hundred and ninety five kittens last weekend at cat Coon and we still have yeah, we still have hundreds of animals who are in need of homes. So it's so helpful to get the message out of how wonderful shelter pets are as members of your family and encouraging people to adopt from shelters all during this month. It's a great way to read our message. It's sponsored by NBC and Telemindo, so there's quite a bit of pr to let people know that this is happening.
Speaker 1: My best friend was in town, I don't know, about a month ago, and I said, do you let's go look at the Pasadena Humane and go check out kittens. Guess who has a new kitten, Aha, and he is adorable. His name is Ozzie and he is absolutely beautiful and growing and growing. So for anyone who's just thinking about this, why should someone adopt a pet?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, the companionship is amazing and if you adopt from Pasaden Humine, all the dogs and cats are spade or neuter, vaccinated, microchipped, and if you want to foster, we provide all of the supplies. We provide twenty four hour support and we also have veterinary care available. So we try to make it as easy as possible and we would encourage anyone to consider adopting or fostering.
Speaker 1: Okay, Dia du Vernet, thank you so much for your time, and again we've got doggy speed dating you're looking for foster people, that's this Sunday, August eleventh. And then the clear the shelters where you can go and have your pick because there's a lot of beautiful pets just waiting for a new home, and that event is Saturday, August seventeenth, and you can get information again.
Speaker 3: At Pasadenia Humane dot org.
Speaker 1: All right, doa thank you so much good luck with both events. I hope you find lots of new homes for our beautiful dogs and cats.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Amy.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. Governor Newsom says Kamala Harris's VP pick Tim Walls is about doing the right thing. He says, Walls is about honor and decency and is exactly the right pick in a campaign about daylight versus darkness. Newsom, whose name was thurned around as a presidential contender will be, says that Walls will be an incredible partner to Kamala Harris in her presidential run. A new poll shows the extreme heat across the US is affecting people's lives. The Associated Press Nork Center for Public Affairs Research poll found seven and ten Americans say the heat has impacted their electricity bills in the past year, and a majority reported an impact on their outdoor activities. About four and ten said the extreme heat has had an impact on their sleep, their pets, and exercise routines. Tropical Storm Debbie continues to dump heavy rain on the southeast. ABC's Victor Akendo says the rain is expected to last several more days.
Speaker 7: In downtown Charleston, over eight inches of rain already overtaking streets and businesses, homes struggling to keep both.
Speaker 1: Debbie came a short Monday in Florida, packing eighty mile per hour winds, dumping more than a foot and a half of rain in Sarasota, and Team ussays men's basketball team has demolished Brazil one twenty two to eighty seven. That advances them to the semi finals at the Paris Olympics. Team USA is won each of their first four games by at least fifteen points. They're going to try to keep that momentum going against Serbia tomorrow. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed in a wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app