Speaker 1: Welcome back to EVE Sports Radio live from Panama City, Panama. It is a fantastic, beautiful morning in Panama City. Fantastic city. If you've never visited here, you'll have to make if you can get the opportunity, please come. You would be amazed of the size, the beauty of the people, the attitude of the people. It's a thriving city. They're building everywhere. I'm not talking about three or four story buildings. I'm talking about sixty and seventy story buildings. They're building everywhere in Panama City. So welcome back to Eve Sports Radio. It is June the twentieth, twenty twenty five. Phone numbers five zero two five seven to one seventy nine hundred. That's five zero two five seven to one seventy nine hundred. I have got rip behind the glass. Shannon, of course, is unremote. With Matt Jones, I'm gonna have to whip Matt for taking Shannon every Friday. I'm gonna have to whip Matt. That's all there is to it. I can't whip Shannon, but I can get Matt Jones, so I may have to just whip Matt. So I appreciate you sitting in with us, Rick, how are you doing this morning?
Speaker 2: I'm doing pretty good. Jerry wish I was down there with you, no question.
Speaker 1: How's the weather, Rick, I just need to know. Has it been raining since I've left.
Speaker 2: It hasn't rain in a couple of days.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be close to ninety today and we're gonna be in the mid nineties.
Speaker 4: All weekend, so it's finally feeling like summertime.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, I'm gonna have to have one of my brothers water my grass because I can't have my grass that I've been working on it too hard.
Speaker 2: Rich, too hard.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: Here we are catching in my front yard that I planted grass seed because I had two huge trees taken down, so I've been trying to grow the grass in those spots. So I'm gonna have to get after them. I was hoping we got a little rain. I thought I saw yesterday it was supposed to have gotten a little rain, but we didn't. So anyway, Rick, appreciate you sitting in with us and giving us that weather news or meteorologists today.
Speaker 2: You just do a little bit of everything for E Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: Now let's get to my host first and foremost youngest son anything, and he's sitting there with us.
Speaker 2: Andy, how are you doing today?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'm doing amazing this morning. We've got a lot of stuff to get into later this afternoon. And you know, all I can say is Panama has been treating me well. Even the casino.
Speaker 5: Trying to treat us well last night.
Speaker 3: Just jump just a little bit, just a little bit, you know, very very modest. God, It's it's been an amazing trip so far.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: I actually was kind of just looking myself last night, just I kind of looked on Google Maps to kind of see how far we were from back home and showing the distance. It's crazy that we're farther if you look on the map, if you're looking dead at it, we're farther east than we are Kentucky. But the timeframe here is an hour behind back home, which is completely different. So we've always wondered because the sun is six o' eight right now, and it will be looks like it's fully daylight within the next fifteen minutes, but the sun goes down so much earlier here in six thirty, six thirty, seven o'clock, seven thirty comes around, it starts to get pitch a black outside, so you think it's later than what it is, and then you look at your phone and it's not even eight o'clock. Back in the Louisville and Son stays out until nine o'clock, eight forty five. So that was something that kind of threw me off. The first two days. I thought it was super late. I'm kind of yawing and getting a little tired, and I look at the phone and it's six forty five pm.
Speaker 2: I was like, this add up.
Speaker 3: Adding up, And then I kind of looked on the map and just realized that.
Speaker 1: No question, Let's bring on that other guy. Hey, George Williams, Hey, have you been looking at your watch? Has the casino been good to you?
Speaker 2: George?
Speaker 5: It's always good to meet Jerry. I'm always a winner. I never to George.
Speaker 2: I know, hey George, because we don't gamble, all right, you knew.
Speaker 5: That it be good to meet exactly. I watched other people quiet, but I'm always happy.
Speaker 2: I do to George.
Speaker 1: I just did behind him and go help there those twenty more dollars, No, but they all wasn't yesterday, George. So everyone was happy last night. Everyone table was good. Black jack table was good, George.
Speaker 4: Everyone everyone was happy.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I like to see no so much. I don't even go in them.
Speaker 2: Hey, George, I could walk to them every day. George.
Speaker 1: I used to gamble, and after I lost money as an NBA player, I said, that's enough.
Speaker 2: We played eleven games.
Speaker 1: I told people this, eleven regular season games in Las Vegas in eighty three and eighty four with the Utah Jazz, and George by game five or six, when I was like, I'm losing money, that was it.
Speaker 2: That was it been done. The thrill is gone. The thrill is gone, George.
Speaker 5: I was just talking about that. Jad. I just talked to a friend of man. He has family to come over their house and they play a little card game. They put up like quarters and fidgets and stuff. They always answered me, I don't even go to the house when they gamble. I said her Man, I cannot lose a nickel of my money and think I don't have an attitude. Jee, I'll be ready to get up and want to rumble. Dude, you want to know the more personal than basketball?
Speaker 2: You like that band, Uncle George, lose the diamond? Want to go ad it?
Speaker 5: That horble? Uncle Jay Bought is losing my money. But I'm glad y'all won. I'm proud of you guys. Just bring me something back, that's all I am.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the sports radio. Sorry for the technical difficulties. Things do happen when you're out of the country trying to host a sports talk show.
Speaker 2: This is Jerry's of course, I'm.
Speaker 1: In Panama City, Panama, and we're gonna hope to keep the signal, but I can't promise you. We're just gonna do the best we can. Now, George, before we introduce our co host, we're gonna chop it up with Today and George. This young man right here is a Baltimore, Maryland guy. I don't know if you know anything about Baltimore. George, Uh, you scared of people from Baltimore. You're scared of him, George.
Speaker 5: Nobody know what Jerry I mean. They people, I mean, I teat them canny. They treat me canny when I'm good to you.
Speaker 2: Don't treat me kindly. You don't treat me kindly.
Speaker 5: Well, I said, people, Oh, my friend, my friend, you my friend Jared. That's what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: But George, let me tell you, we're gonna bring on this young man, great person. I mean, his mom has got the beautiful personality. You have to meet Michelle one day. But Amien Lee or a cardinal from a dregs were great. It's unbelievable how quickly time has passed. George, I can't believe I'm looking at this. He left louis on twenty fifteen sixteen. It's like he left Louisville three years ago. Let's bring on the one and only. We'll get through all the accolades because he's a co host.
Speaker 2: I mean, George, I gotta pup him up. We're gonna talk junk to him. Everybody. Welcome Damien Lee to E Sports Radio.
Speaker 4: Damen, how are you I'm doing? I'm going well. I appreciate that because it definitely feels the same way. It feels like it has not been almost ten years since I've been gone.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, Damien. I mean, I'm looking at you like I told my son. Truly he pleaded the lords. I can't believe that.
Speaker 1: Fifteen sixteen, fifteen sixteen, con you're a University of Louisville shooting at three, living a.
Speaker 4: Life so Davien life. I got three kids.
Speaker 2: Man, that's still living a life. That's a good deal. I'm telling you that a best friend in life.
Speaker 1: But George and I we're gonna get after you a little bit today, Damien.
Speaker 2: We have to.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get you with tough questions. I appreciate your mom. I told everyone. I didn't say that. George said your mom got you up early. It's four fifteen in Phoenix. I didn't say that. That's what George and Anthony said. They you know I didn't.
Speaker 2: I would never say anything like that, Damien. You know that I wouldn't do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, but it's early. But you know, brother, I got kids, so at some point, you know, the time is the time. You'll figure out the time to get in that you'll figure.
Speaker 5: It out for itself. I thought you was crazy to get up this time in the morning to come on. That's that's what I thought. I said. If I had anything to do with Moore in the morning, it would not be helping Jerry with vacation in Panama and winning money in it. Can see, no, Damon, that's not what I see it.
Speaker 4: Well, at least I can at least I can. At least I can move my workout of earlier. So sooner, as soon as off the phone, I could just I can go right to the gym and work out. Get it over with.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you say being gafag your normal time. Damon, I'm gonna tell you, bro.
Speaker 1: George, let's just start with the tough part, even going through a tough stretch, and we'll talk our way out of the tough stretch. You've I've had major injuries the last two years. You're bouncing back from them. You know, you've had setbacks. I was reading all about you again yesterday and some of the mental aspects you've gone through trying to get back after all these injuries. Tell me where you are physically and mentally with the basketball game.
Speaker 2: Where are you right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, So.
Speaker 4: My major injury was two years ago. Had a knee injury. Took about a year to recover. But then all last year I was fully healthy. I was fully healthy. I was available for all eighty two games. I was ready. Just you know, I was ready for whatever opportunity, whether you know it's pick up games, you know, amongst the team, throughout the season at home, on the road. Yeah, I've been feeling really good about my game since let's say about last December and then you know, this opportunity didn't fully present itself, you know, throughout the year for whatever reason. But yeah, I was. I've been healthy this whole past season. Once the season ended, I took about a week off and then just been back in the gym. So yeah, I've been I've been grinding it out, man, Just you know, kind of want to break that narrative of it's funny you're you're like probably the third or fourth person to be like, man, you've been hurt for two years, and it's like, no, I was only hurt for one year. That last year there was just a bunch of there's just a bunch of you know, stuff that was going on. So you know that.
Speaker 1: But I mean, majority you have been Let's just be honest. You've been fighting through this. You have broken your hand twice, yep, acl twice. I never heard, George, have you ever heard of a root repair?
Speaker 2: Damian?
Speaker 1: I had never heard of I was reading this. I'm like, I've been lets my entire life. I've never heard of a route repairer pastry. So you've gone through it, young man, you have really gone through it. So last year you did play twenty five games. Let's start then I'm gona let George Teacher with one. But Kevin Durant the news with Phoenix. Kevin Durant wants to be traded and is leaving the team at Phoenix. Where are you all right now.
Speaker 2: As a unit?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't really know. I mean, obviously we know it's reporter on the media and everything of that nature, but like, I don't really try to concern myself with that. Like I know, you know, something will happen, whether he traded or whether he stays. But you know, I'm I'm kind of in the business of you know, I'm a free agent this summer myself, so I'm just trying to make sure that, you know, everything's good with my family, like know, with us having a newborn, having three three kids four and under, and you know, just trying to really concern myself with that. I mean, I know, obviously I've known Kevin, I've played with him multiple years on different teams, and you know, just understanding the talent that he is, like he's one of the best players such a basketball But you know, you also understand there's a business side of things, So you know, I feel like they'll figure it out, you know, at some point, if you know, he gets traded, if he doesn't get traded, whatever it's for. But I'm really concerned about what I can do in my immediate future, knowing that, you know, I still got some miles left on these left left on these times.
Speaker 5: I got George Williams go ahead, Yeah, damn, I got a question. I know it doesn't come up quite often, but I know what the trade deals like, the rants going through, And you said you're a free agent. Do you guys ever think about who has to be mixed, who has to leave the team when you're trading a superstar because you know the money some mess foot both teams, and do you have a think about what you be included in the deal? The players think about that if a trade is going down, the players trade think that they may be moving because another player is moving.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, definitely. I mean the other you know, the guys that are free agents that are trying to wait out to see who the team brings in for a guy that they're trading for. If you know they're trading for obviously you know some of the better players you know in this league. That means that you're trying to trade them to get multiple players back. So some guys definitely see like, all right, there's the money match, especially with the new CBA and the restrictions. You know, whether you know teams are in the luxury tax, they're not in the luxury tax if they're hard cap first apron, separate second apron. Sorry, I'm throwing all this jargon out there, but there's the stuff that I study, you know, throughout because that's just the way of the league. Like you see, all these guys are getting paid a lot of money, so some guys may be thrown in deals, but there's also certain restrictions that come with that, which if the team is in the second apron, then they can't put together two contracts to get one guy back. So yeah, there's a whole bunch of stuff that's going on and everyone in the league is still trying to figure it out in real time.
Speaker 1: Yes, the players agreement is very complicated. A lot of people say too complicated. But at the same time, George Teacher with a great question as being a free agent, is that saying that you cannot be part of a trade deal now that your contract is expired with Phoenix.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it'll technically expire on June thirtieth. But yeah, so the only way that I could be included in a deal is if I would if I re sign with Phoenix before I guess that trade would go through, then that would be the only way.
Speaker 5: Come again, Oh, I want to hit you with a follow up to that you were talking about that the move? All right, then do some teams sign you back just to make the dollar value match? So they may not we're gonna keep you, but they'll sign you back just because the dollar value and they can move you as well as the player they want to move. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so some teams do that, or some teams will sign you to an inflated number in the off season, so like after summer, I mean after free agency starts with like the intention of trading you down the line, or the possibility to trade you or to add you into a trade down the line, because guys, there's like a sweet spot. There's like a sweet spot number guys making between like you know, say in that mid level area between six to ten that is viewed around the league as easily tradable contracts.
Speaker 1: It's just a tough business. Now that you've been in it. You understand the old Dallas saying. When players call it a game, the owners call it a business. When the owners call it a business, the players call it a game. So, David, about the luck, when do you think that you'll be signing. Are there any teams that you're looking at that you can tell us about before we get into your golf outing.
Speaker 4: Uh, No, nothing, nothing at the moment. I mean, really just taking it day by day, that's all my When I last talked to my agent at the beginning of the month, I was like, let's just you know, reconvene towards the end of the month. I don't you know, it's it's it's good to hear that people like you. But also you have to produce, and you know, knowing me what I've you know, been through two years ago and in this past year not playing as much, I know I have to show and produce. So I'm willing to go anywhere and everywhere and show that I'm still healthy, that I can still play the game at a high level. And yeah, so there's nothing. I'm not even concerned about that just yet, because you know, waiting for the finals to get over and then once some trades start going through, then I know, you know, things will uh, things will start opening up.
Speaker 2: Gotcha.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about something good because that part is very difficult, going through which I did myself, and waiting to get a contract, waiting for a team to call you. I went to the CBA and played, got called back up with Sacramento. It's a tough thing, but of course you've been doing it quite a while. Now you're a professional and ultimate professional, and you're going to come out on the right side for sure. Let's talk about your golf outing, coming back with your foundation to the city of Louisville again.
Speaker 2: Tell me the time, the place. What's going on with your golf outing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we're back again fourth year, which is crazy to think. How you know, we had an idea four years ago to start it, but this is our fourth year. It is a Damien Lee Family Foundation Golf Scramble. It's August fourth and Louisville, Kentucky at the uf L at Cardinal Club. The registration link is on the website, which is Damian Lee Samilyfoundation dot com. It's also on my Instagram. We still have some spots available for anyone that wants to sign up in the Louisville or you know, Indiana area, so anyone that wants to come from out of town as well. Uh, and then yeah, we also have some sponsorship slots available as well. So yeah, it's August fourth. Yeah, where it's it's it's it's a great time. We you know, auction off items, we have you know, sponsors there as well, we have you know, celebrities come by, come play as well. It's it's truly an amazing time. Everyone that's come for the past three years always you know, show up and show out and uh, you know, they say that it's one of the best events you know that they come to. So I'm just super excited to have it again. You know, some of the proceeds that you know, we have, we'll go back into the Louisville community, to the West end, you know, some of the schools that we've been working with, and you know, the y m C a great James Academy that we've been working with since the Inargole year in twenty twenty. So we're just you know, we're just super excited about it.
Speaker 1: Well again I'm gonna participate George of course, and Damian you didn't have.
Speaker 2: To call me out of celebrities.
Speaker 5: I didn't hear that.
Speaker 2: I wanted the celebrities. I wanted the celebrities. George, of course, well I.
Speaker 5: Can thank you. I thought you said you were gonna participate. I didn't think you said celebrity. I thought you said participate.
Speaker 2: Celebrities.
Speaker 5: It's not a golfer. You're just not a.
Speaker 1: Golfer celebrity in my own mind, George, I understand.
Speaker 6: Love it about we all love you.
Speaker 5: The fans hate him Damon, but he's not a golfer. Damon, you got you got bad golfer journey to be in that with those guys. Put him over with the he was out there. That's the guy I know.
Speaker 1: See, Damon and I played, George, we've played together. See you can't get in between its George.
Speaker 5: How bad you are. I don't have to tell Damon. How about you beat him.
Speaker 2: Younger? Go ahead, David.
Speaker 4: Finish, I was gonna say I would saying now, George, Me and uh Me and Jerry played, and Jerry was solid. I can't even.
Speaker 2: Lie to be old, to be old, I was solid.
Speaker 5: George, You're the front person that ever come on this radio that said that much.
Speaker 4: I hope I'm not. There's the deal.
Speaker 1: Damien, here's the deal, Frank. Of course who you played with will be in the tournament. Anthony's gonna play well, we'll get to some other players. We'll get Mike Vines, but to play again like last year, we'll definitely have a team.
Speaker 2: Man. But my younger son wants to talk to you about your tournament. This is Anthony. Okay, how are you doing, mister Lee.
Speaker 4: I'm doing great, brother, how you I'm good?
Speaker 3: I know we met last year. I think the year before, I think I played in your golf ending.
Speaker 2: I think twice now.
Speaker 3: But now it's it's a phenomenal event. I love playing your golf out I got. It's funny. I go to the gym and play basketball all the time, and I wear your backpack to the gym all the time. And people always ask me where I got it from the Damien leef Allen, like, where'd you get a book back like that? I said, don't worry about it's exclusive.
Speaker 2: He gave it.
Speaker 4: He gave it to me himself.
Speaker 2: Little they know they gave it.
Speaker 3: To me because I pulled the one on tea on the whole number two into the golf range, so they gave me.
Speaker 2: A free backpack.
Speaker 3: Now, I know you're an honest guy, but don't lie about saying my dad is solid.
Speaker 2: We've played the last two months and it's been the farthest thing from solid. This is why we're playing in the scramble.
Speaker 3: If he had to play by himself out there, he shooting sixty eight, he was shooting.
Speaker 2: He shoots his age. Now there was due nine holes. It's handicapp going up by age each year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so, but but you know how it is, those the best people to have in a scramble, you know it.
Speaker 2: It's right we're gonna at the red T's.
Speaker 3: But also I know this is this is a little bit off talking from topic from the golf outing. I just have a question about it because I came from a lower school. My brother played out of mid major, and I know a lot of kids always feel like they have to go to a power five school like the U of L or Kentucky to be able to have a chance to make it.
Speaker 2: To the next level.
Speaker 3: You came from Dresville, came as a grad transfer U of L one. I want to ask what was your decision in coming to louis was a grad transfer in two What were the big do you think you had a better chance at making it to the next level coming to u of L or staying even just coming straight out of Drexel Because Drexel were your second team All Conference actual, your first team All Conference, first team All Defense your senior year, even your second team All ACC I think those are phenomenal a conferencements to make no matter what conference, matter what level you play. I've seen players come from We've all seen players come from low level schools and mid major schools come out there and be successful in their professional careers. But you think going to the uf L was a big turning point in your career to get to that next level.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, that's that's actually a really good question. I haven't. I mean, it's honestly been almost ten years since I've even thought about it. And it's like when, well, I since I thought about it, since it's been ten years since I've made the decision to leave Drexel to go to Louisville, And like, for me, it was just like I felt like at the time I did everything that I could do, you know, being at Drexel, and you know, I just I just felt like I wanted another like not another test, but you know, just to like measure myself up against those you know, which what I felt was was the best conference in the country, which was the ACC at the time, obviously Duke, North Carolina, Florida State, Syracuse, you know, all those guys. But when I was but I was leaving Drexel, that was that was part of the toughest decision that I had. But I knew that if I could hold my own in the ACC that year, it was just a test of myself like a challenge, and I'm someone that loves challenges. I love you know, that back against the wall mentality that you know everything's against you and how do you come out and figure it out? And I do think that that year helped prepare me to understand what it was like to be a pro. We stayed at you know, really good hotels, the travel that we had, we flew private. That was my first time ever doing that. But if I stayed at Drexel, I hm, that's tough. I don't fully know if I'd be where I am, But I know Drexel help made me to who I am today because I still carry that ship with me everywhere I go, even when I get announced for NBA games or on the pamphlet, I tell them to make sure they put Drexel like they'll always put Louisville, and Louisville holds a very special place in my heart. But those four years at Drexel, that especially Dregs wil being disrespected, you know, mainly in the city of Philly, like not not viewed at as one of those like you know five schools, the Big five schools, And every time we played against any other school in Philly was like I wanted to go out and dominate, to show like how much Drexel really means to me. And I will carry that with me every day. I mean, there's only three guys in the history of Dreuxel ever play in the NBA. Mike Anderson had played in the eighties, Malik Rose, and then myself. So I kind of carry that torch with me, you know, everywhere we go until you know, the next guy from Drexel comes along.
Speaker 1: Great George, when we come back, we're gonna throw it back to you talking about name, image and likeness and get Damien's view on college players being paid. This is easy Sports Radio. It's six poin forty We'll talk to you all after the break. Welcome back to Sports Radio. June the twentieth. It is seven forty three and George, I'm gonna throw it to you. They mentioned likeness, but be first thing, Damian, give me a two minute synopsis of.
Speaker 2: The NBA playoffs.
Speaker 1: Ok, see Pacers, and what do you thought about last night's game.
Speaker 4: I'm excited. I've been I've been excited. I think Game seven are one of the best things in sports. It doesn't matter what sport it is. To see how Halle was able to go out there and gun cut it out through you know, the calf injury. I think it's major. And yeah, I think what the game's on Sunday. So really just excited. I mean, I feel like everyone's gonna be tuned in. Some people are saying that the playoffs, that the playoffs weren't that good. I think, I think this has been one of the best playoffs in an NBA in recent history, from top to bottom, every single matchup all throughout, and then I think, uh, damn, I don't know who I'm picking. I just hope it comes down to the wire. But you know, just kind of ends off the playoffs, you know, in the right in the right fashion, but super excited. I've been. I've been nothing but pleased with all these games throughout the playoffs. And you hope the next year I can be on the team that you know can be back in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Absolutely no, I agree, George.
Speaker 5: Yeah, damon. You know they started in that L deal and we've been talking on this show, but even before in our al went down, the players should be paid. We always thinkured that one of the problems they had. They wanted to throw it to the Senate. They wanted to throw it to the uh uh and the NCAA just sit there and watch. I think it's out of hand now, don't get me wrong. But now they want to come and regulate the players, but they don't regulate the coaches, the people who make the n I L work. Are you guys? You know what I mean? So I think that they should because if you look at how even is now. Look at schools like Saint John's, all the big age schools with twenty one million dollars, they have no football program. Look at anyone to have recruiting. Do you think that this is good? Do you think that the NCA should have said it and either regulate coaches players. You just think it should just be the wild wid West.
Speaker 4: I definitely don't think it should be the wild will West. I thought it was supposed to be a way of like the original thought was like kids get paid through like partnerships with like companies, like local local brands.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I thought that was kind of the wave that it was going. But yeah, now that it's the wild wild West, like you have, I mean, you know, I'm happy that these kids are getting paid, like that's amazing, but it's also crazy to see like these kids go to a school for X amount of money and then they don't actually go to the school because they're like, oh, I didn't get paid my money up front, and then they transfer and they leave, and it's like that's where it kind of gets a little tricky for me because at some point, like, yes, it's about pay to play and these guys getting you know, compensated properly, but also like you're you getting a degree matters as well, at least in my eyes. I mean, I could be wrong, but you know, and then I think, I think eventually it'll probably go to just guys just having five years of college period. Like, I do think there has to be some rule put in where like you can't transfer after every year, you know, like kids going to one school and then going to another school and then going to another school. I feel like there should be a rule of like you can only transfer once maybe maybe twice max if like there's medical thing that comes up. But it's also like at some point, like I don't feel like you should be bouncing school to school to school to school for four years you go to different schools than like who's your allegiance to, Like what's your what's your fan base? Who? Like is it just off of sport or like what's like where's your where's your academics coming from? As well?
Speaker 1: That's George, great question, Damian, great answer. Uh, Damian, you sound like a little conservative right there. Now, I'm being straight. George knows that, Damien. I've been the same for years. Players should be paid, and yes, it is the wild wild West, but that's how things work. Things will be legislated. A lot of people agree with you. I've got close friends Damien that we're worried about the players leaving every year, and I agree with that. I don't know how you can get your degree doing that. I do agree with the way that you get it. You at your degree when you left rights to come to Louisville, But I don't like to limit the player's ability.
Speaker 2: To make money.
Speaker 1: And it was supposed the format was supposed to have been, you get naming rights throughout the city, you do commercials for people in your city. You start to gain contacts to where it will further you when you're finished playing. Like most athletes, most are not, Damien Lee. They don't make a dying playing professional sports. You know they don't. You're an exception to the rule. That's what people don't understand. And it was supposed to help them gain business contacts. Well now it's just turned into pay for play. I'm still not mad at that, though, Damien, I'm not gonna kid you.
Speaker 2: It's been too Damon.
Speaker 1: In nineteen eighty two, I played in front of seventy two thousand people when Michael Jordan hit the shot.
Speaker 2: I was in that final four.
Speaker 1: There's seventy two thousand people there and the tickets were expensive. So it's been fifty plus years before players like yourself were able to benefit and I'm glad that you all are benefiting. I do think the NCAA never does its job, Georgia alluding to it so that they always push it off on the Congress, Senate. They want someone to do it or a lawsuit has to do it because.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't do it. But you are correct.
Speaker 1: There needs to be guardrails put on this, and it needs to be put on really soon.
Speaker 4: I agree, and it's like, oh, sorry, you call it, George, all right?
Speaker 5: The thing I say what I think it should be. Yes, I think the school should be obligated to pay a certain amount of money. But I also say, if a player has the capability and he has and he doesn't accept the school's money and he says that I can get paid on my own, he should be able to make the money that he can make.
Speaker 4: Because I wholeheartedly agree with that, because it's like, at the end of the day, like it's just like like we're all kind of I mean, we're all in the same boat. It's like you should be you should be compensated for what you produce. For like, if you're the best player on the team, I feel like you should get the most amount of money. That's just how it is. It's cutting dry, yes, but because you're the one that's helped bringing in the revenue, you're help driving the ticket sales, doing everything, jerseys and all that. I just think it gets it gets tricky when you have kids that average four or five points a game and they're asking for five hundred, six hundred, seven hundred thousand dollars. Then it's like, all right, let's be like, let's be realistic about it, Like, yes, there's there's enough money for everyone, but like let's be real and if and and let's say you average four or five points a game, which is okay, it's not bad. That's just the spot that you're in now. But you go to a lower school and you average more, and then you build your name up. Then you go back to a higher school, which is why I said the possibility of like they're transferring twice thing, then at least you can get compensated for that down the line. But don't count your eggs before they hatch and think, oh, I'm gonna like I deserve this just because you see the next person is getting it. I just think that's like that's where a lot of these kids are just losing their minds.
Speaker 1: Productivity has to has to come into play and sports. It always has, it has to. Now, look, I got a gentleman as crazy. I just want you to know that, Damien. But he says he's got a personal question for you, and I'm gonna les George. He's George's guy. Ac is George's guy. Bring Ac do the show.
Speaker 6: Good morning, Good morning, miss Lee. First of all, I apologize. First of all, I did not know who you are, so I had to do some Google research. If I'm not mistaken, you won the twenty twenty two D Championship with Golden State. Am I correct?
Speaker 4: Yes, I was a part of that team.
Speaker 6: Okay, so I am talking to the right person. Good Let me ask you a question. I'm gonna be honest with you. I did not know who you are are, so I have to do some research. Let me ask a question. What was it like for you to play with the Splash Brothers and why in your opinion? I mean, this is what we see in the media. Why do you think your current teammates about to be former Kevin Durant is so sensitive? You know I'm gonna be crazy next week?
Speaker 4: All right, Well, I'll answer the latter First, I wouldn't. I wouldn't take Kevin sent itive. I mean that's just me. We've been teammates over over, like I said, a span of years. I just think he's one of those guys that obviously him being very active on social media, like he's not afraid to be who he is and just talk about whether it's basketball, you know, whatever the case is. So I think that's honest. I'd say from that standpoint, that's admirable because I wish there's there's some things I wish I could say back to people on social media, but I just don't, like I just don't, you know, have that have that one way about me. I mean, I you know I do have things. You know, if people say it in you know, in front of my face or whatever, then you know, I definitely always have something that you know, comeback willing or ready, but I just don't have it to you know, put it out there. And keV keV. keV has that and can speak on whatever he wants, and like that's something that I wish I could do. But to talk about playing with the Splash Brothers, I mean I always tell people this, man, I've been I've been fortunate and blessed enough, you know, amongst amongst my career to learn and play with some of the greatest players to ever play. I mean, all the coaches I've played for have either been to the NBA Finals or won the NBA Finals, been a part of championship teams. The players I've played with, I've played with at least sticks possibly seven Hall of Famers, and just try to gain as much knowledge as I could from them. All those guys, you know, I'm lucky enough to be friends with. And like I said, I mean, I've been to the finals twice one year twenty nineteen obviously had the injuries, lost to Toronto, and then being there in twenty twenty two, and just seeing what it's like to win a championship, to be a part of a team that's so special where everyone's completely bought in one through fifteen. Coach utilized everyone one through fifteen throughout and and it's just it's just empowering. But with those guys, man, if you give them fifteen minute workouts either before practice or after practice, it's just mesmerizing. You see why they are who they are for sure.
Speaker 2: But we got to get out again, let them know about your golf out. Let them know. I don't want you to kill me. Let them know about your golf.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so so Damian Lee Family Foundation August fourth, lou Uh you at Louisville Cardinal Club. I think it's Spoor one champions Way Simpsons, I'm not my FA. Yes, yeah, so we're there. Uh. Registrations on Damian Lee Familyfoundation dot com is also on my Instagram Damian Lee D A M I zero and L E E uh the links there. Registration is up. It's still open. We still got some spots available, also have some sponsorship spots available as well. Come out. It is a great time. It's one of the best times, one of the best golf outings that you'll come to. Yeah, it's it's it's amazing. And you know, some of the proceeds are going back to the West Ends of the Louisville community, the West n Y m c A and Chris James Academy.
Speaker 1: Great Damien Lee, we appreciate your time. Thanks for getting up so early in Phoenix, Arizona.
Speaker 2: To call in. Tell your mother I will see you there.
Speaker 5: I will definitely be there.
Speaker 1: I'll have my team in and George, you're not invited to play on my team period.
Speaker 5: Hey, if you got your son's playing your team, you just own the team. You're not playing, you own the team.
Speaker 4: Hey, George, George, all you gotta do is George, all you gotta do is get three more people you come pull up and then and then we'll see who takes the money.
Speaker 2: There you go, that's that's a challenge.
Speaker 5: Yes, George, don't play that game. I wear them out.
Speaker 1: I'll wear them out, David Brother.
Speaker 4: Contend your success.
Speaker 2: And see you in August.
Speaker 4: See that love you.
Speaker 1: Eastports Radio, Panama City. We'll talk to you along Monday.
Speaker 2: Bye bye,