Speaker 1: Good evening everybody, and welcome to another edition of Fire Up. I hope everybody's fired up tonight. I know my co host, my husband, Scott the MotorCity mad Mouth, he was fired up on his last show just that he ended Sports Exchange. Check it out. Him and Rod Peterson talk a lot of NHL. But it's my all star lineup tonight. I have next to me Scott the MotorCity mad Mouth, Morgan Roth.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, Thanks Katie, enjoy being on this show. This is a contrey, baby, I'm fighting in the well. I trained this woman. I trained them all in this way or two in there and got them all. I'll get nicely. Thank you very much. But this is your show. I'm just hanging out here with you.
Speaker 3: I gotta let me introduce everybody now that you have everybody, but I'll do it again and then my usual co host, one of my co hosts, who's been on here for jeez, Ralph, how long have you been on here with me?
Speaker 1: For a while? A while?
Speaker 4: Now, a few, so it's been a few.
Speaker 1: It's been I think over a year, I think almost.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, Ralph.
Speaker 4: I'm still here though you are.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, awesome, And then mister Pensman sports, how are you tonight?
Speaker 5: I'm good. I'm ready to get this show rocking and rolling.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, that's awesome. Since the last time we talked, Pensman, though, you have a little uh armor arm damage there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I had a little fall. But about six weeks I'll be all right.
Speaker 1: Okay, is that all only six weeks?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Only six weeks.
Speaker 1: Only six weeks. Well, let's get to our first topic of the night, and no it is not with the title of the show. We're gonna talk about a lot of different topics tonight. We're gonna throw it to a couple of different sports. We're first gonna start in Pittsburgh and we're gonna talk baseball because one of the Pittsburgh Pirates, Paul pitcher Paul Skeins, feels his team can win the World Series without spending money like the LA Dodgers. Hmmm, what do you think about that? Ralph, you're in Pittsburgh, tell us, how do you feel about that?
Speaker 6: I don't know what's Paul Skins maybe his girlfriend or something. I don't know, but he's drinking some bad kool aid or something. Because the Pittsburgh Pirates have done absolutely nothing except re sign Andrew McCutcheon. They brought in a first basement, the traded for a couple of relievers, but you know they need help in the starting pitching. I guess to wait for the scrap heap to come up, so, you know, I don't see how they can win. Derek Sheldon's not even that good of a manager to begin with, and we have a new hitting coach this year, so you know, we'll see what happens. You know, I keep my fingers crossed every year because that's about all. But thank goodness for the progy races, the fireworks and the concerts after and the Bible Heads, because if it wasn't for those things, nobody would come to a Pirate gamp.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Ouch, Pensman Sports, what do you feel about what Paul Skeins had to say?
Speaker 5: You have to spend money to get just you have, like the Bets just signed buon Soto. In order to get players, you have to spend money. You can't take the same team and not spend money two years in a row they had the same record. It's not I don't know what Paul's thinking. I don't know if his Rookie of the Year award got to his head or what.
Speaker 1: So, Scott, the Pirates their peril was eighty four million. They ranked twenty ninth. It was one hundred and fifty six million dollars less than the Dodgers and two hundred and thirty million dollars less than the New York Mets for the twenty twenty four season. Right, what do you think about what Paul Skime said?
Speaker 2: Well, let me pick a back off of Ralph because we need to teach him a little bit about journalism. Okay, the Pirates are absolutely nothing. Okay, and Utti and Gene not nothing. Kidding with the Ralph, I had no choice. Segue number one. Okay, before we worry about a world series, we're about a winning record. This is the same franchise that lost twenty three years in a row and missus Roberto Clemeni was playing don't make it twenty one and don't work embarrass or Berto. So before we worry about payrolls, comparing them to the Dodgers and the Mets, because we all know that the Dodgers that are legal, what they're doing legal monopoly because they're buying everything that they can buy because there's no salary cap in baseball. The Pirates have been the pharmacystem for the rest of the Major League Baseball for that till the end of time. Do let me wrong. It's a problem fan base, it really is. I'm convinced of Pittsburgh can sell that building out all day long if they go out there and put together a good product out there. We're saying good, We're not talking about great. I'm sure that the crowds had to be pretty decent when he had Barry Bonds there and they were winning under Jim Leland. Bring back to any time respectably where you get eighty five, I win and Pittford's will fought like a bunch of geese because it is a great baseball town. What if they won five World Series championships. That's not say they won five. So the reality of the situation is, Paul to me, I'm glad you're there. The question is down the road, can the Pittsburgh Pirates afford you? And I would say if I had to say they, my answer is absolutely not or absolutely not. We will, but not realistic. The Mets and the Dodgers have certainly paid a lot of money. Now, Marlin's never spent a dime, but yeah, Andrew mccrutch and several little better plays in recent history. Well, I hope I'm wrong, Paul. I always say, please prove me wrong, please, but it didn't get happen here.
Speaker 1: So let me put in my two cents, and my two cents are Pittsburgh Pirates. Shame on you. In twenty twenty three, your revenue was three hundred and nine million dollars. You spent one hundred and twenty million on your payroll last year. Can you do it with lower let I mean, let's face it, that's a big difference between your revenue and your payroll. I'm gonna give you a small town market as well, the Milwaukee Brewers because you all know that that's my team. Their revenue in twenty twenty or in twenty twenty three was three hundred and twenty million, yes, that was what eleven million more. Their payroll was only one hundred and fifty three million, which is a little bit more I will give granted, but they made the playoffs. You can do. You don't have to spend Dodger money or New York Mets money, but you do have to spend money to get some quality players and to generate more revenue and more people. And you have to win games because then your fans are going to want to come back and spend more money. If they spend more money, you make more money. The next year, you can spend more money and you keep it going. Let's face it, the Mets spent a crazy amount of money and the Dodgers are up there. But the but are they the two teams that always end up in the end in the end. Is it always the highest payroll that end up winning the World Series?
Speaker 6: No, no, not at all. Tampa Bay was in the World Series and they had a low payroll.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks, reality, Well, memory will tell you that the Kansas City Royal Word World Series Championship against.
Speaker 4: The mat Yes.
Speaker 6: Yes, so you know, low budget teams can win.
Speaker 4: But they have to have a good scouting. They have to have a good manager.
Speaker 6: They have to have a good front office that's well and an owner that's at least willing to spend a little bit of money and bringing a couple of decent star You don't have to have the farm and a good farm system.
Speaker 4: You got to have a good farm system.
Speaker 6: Pirates have one but it's just a concept of can they keep that farm system going and and and they have to get some some uh at least one or two quality guys to come in and at least try to, you know, try to do something.
Speaker 4: I'm satisfied.
Speaker 6: I would be satisfied if they won five hundred, because, like Scott's, at least that's something that's winning, you know what I.
Speaker 4: Mean, you know, major league to pirates, Yes, exactly, I agree with you.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I know, but you know, I'm a hard for journalist. It's hard to argue with the max.
Speaker 1: I get it. I get it.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: One of the things that happened this week in baseball, besides Paul saying that is we had Hall of Fame was announced Scott who made the Hall of Fame this time?
Speaker 2: Billy Wagner. Suzukis that's the one vote. I hear that Suzuki is trying to find out who's the one person that snubbed them. They got it right on the ballot this time. They did the three that belonged in there, the other two that fell short and will make it next year. Because when I looked at the newcomers coming out of the ballot, I didn't say, but it struck me familiar fight where it's gonna be Billy Wagner. Glad he made it in the tenth year of her ability. She Savantis Sabati, excuse me all tongue. Time there Beatarezuk only or one or guns on the ballot, it'll be a great class. I think I have what Dick Allen and Dave Partner another Pittsford guys that get in there, so they have a nine class going in this year. I've been to cooper Son a couple of times. Candy Mader first trip there, great place to go if you'd ever been there. Fell out their goats in unelievable place. Bag Fall got it right this time.
Speaker 1: So I'm just gonna give you a little bit of background. There are some people that are saying that the reason why one voter votes against is because Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron didn't get in one hundred percent unanimous, and so they don't want them to overtake them. So with that being said, is that the way it went down. I don't know, but Chiro is the first Japanese player elected to Cooperstown. He had over nineteen seasons between the Seattle Mariners, New York Yankees, and Marlins. Uh Sabbathia was baseball's premier work course over nineteen seasons with Cleveland, the Milwaukee Brewers, and the Yankees. He retired with a two hundred and fifty one wins, one hundred and sixty one losses record, three point seventy four ERA and three thousand, ninety three strikeouts. And then, the last, but not least, Wagner gained, like you said, Scott, entry into the Hall in its tenth and final year of eligibility. Let's see, he was the fifty.
Speaker 4: Three mm hmm, I mean John David Kohne.
Speaker 1: I see her, Wow, fifty three year old who pitched for five teams over sixteen big league seasons. He was very emotional when he got his call. So, Pensman, your thoughts.
Speaker 5: Did Billy Wagner get in with the Phillies's got bill? Did Billy Wagner get in with the with the Phillies as astros? Okay? Because he was the closer for that.
Speaker 2: I think he had like four hundred, some say.
Speaker 5: But I used to My dad used to take me to Phillies games a lot, and I saw Billy Wagner I got to see CC a lot. I didn't get to see each roll, but I think they did all right. I'm happy with with those guys. They deserve it. Could more people make it in, yeah, but the voters will vote, so I think baseball got it right this time.
Speaker 2: Tell me answer you guys the question. You know who we're what team that Neutro got a three timeand hit one?
Speaker 5: Was it Seattle?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's your guess? What about you? Ralph?
Speaker 4: Well, what's the question again? I'm sorry?
Speaker 2: Go ahead, newtro got a three talents hit club?
Speaker 6: Oh gosh, I couldn't even tell you that for real. I could take a guess.
Speaker 4: I'd say the Yankees, Miami, Miami, Marlins, Marlin.
Speaker 2: Okay, fire throw it in there.
Speaker 5: Oh that's fun.
Speaker 6: I thought, I gotta get knowledge.
Speaker 2: You know what, Ralph, nobody would have not too many people would have gotten this one. He'll kill do that. Don't look at that as a knock. Let's just call that as an f yi. Okay, that's all.
Speaker 1: And one of the things I would say Pensman is I agree that, but I think putting only three in to the Hall of Fame in a year really gives makes it stand out and makes it that much more special because there was how many people they could have actually you know that retired and could have were eligible. I think.
Speaker 2: I personally don't remember the last time they put four in in one year off the bet maybe record, I don't remember, probably even a while, but three a decent amount, let alone these particular three players, they were all well deserved. And there's another little piece of information. Billy Wagner barely his first year, barely had over five percent, so he kept growing and grow on until he hit that threshold. Were by the last couple of years, even the sixty to seventy percent range. It was a matter of time where he's gonna get in and loan the oldie dead.
Speaker 1: So he got so each year O got in with ninety nine point seven percent. Ccbathia got in with eighty six point eight, Billy Wagner got in with eighty two point five. The next one Carlos Beltron and is with his third year of trying to get in, his percentage was at seventy point three. And I will say that these three got in from the writers. There are two others, Dick Allen and Dave Parker, who were elected in December on the Er Committee ballot, and then longtime Cleveland Guardians broadcaster Tom Hamilton will also be honored as induction weekend as the winner of this year's Ford C. Frick Award for Broadcasting Excellence. The class of twenty twenty five will be four normally inducted July twenty seventh in Cooperstown. And like Scott said, if you have never been it is it is a hall that you need to go to if you are any if you are any type of baseball fan, I don't care what team you're a fan of. I don't care how many players are in the Hall from your team. It's really cool to see the Hall of Fame and Cooperstown, Cooperstown, the whole town. So it's not just the actual Hall of Fame. I mean you go, you go down the streets of Cooperstown and the light posts have baseballs on them and all the different memorabilia places. You can go to Doubles Day Field, which is a little field next not too far down the road, and it's just a very pretty area in upstate New York that's kind of out in the middle of nowhere, and it's got a beautiful lake and just a beautiful area. I would highly recommend anybody to take a trip up there.
Speaker 2: Well amazingly enough, I didn't take you until Monday, but you drove by it, and we drove around the whole area, and I had a lot of apple cider. Apple siteer was good, so we couldn't have enough of that stuff anyway, And the lake was unbelievable, the surrendering one were driving. And then we got to the museum actually on I think Monday, and then of course my colleague Mark Meriday was there and we ended up meeting in person. And Mark Merriday was regular here on the Softworks of You and Broadcasting Network and we do baseball. He's going to be joining me in hockey as well, so you know, this kid was out there playing ball and we had just so happened we were there at the same time we met up. We did the show remotely. So yeah, super consent place. I've been there, thankfully, I think now three times. Only sure Candy got there. I told her once to go to the field of tree we did in Iowa. I said, I'm taking the Coopers down and lo and behold we were able to do it. And then on top of that trip, we ended up going to New York City, and then that took her by where the old Yankee Citium wasn't a new one, and that really gave her a real case of New York and one little town outside of It's a cute little town, and I remember Donating, who used to play out of a little bit of.
Speaker 5: Gives me chills. I'll tell you that I am going.
Speaker 1: To take you guys to a sport that we don't talk about very much on this on fire up. I'm going to take you to men's college basketball because I'm gonna throw you a curveball.
Speaker 5: Looka Stephen F.
Speaker 1: Austin State University announced today that men's it was yesterday that men's basketball head coach Kyle Keller has been relieved of his duties, effective immediately. The decision to make a change in leadership comes after disappointing one in seven start to Southern Conference play and an eight and eleven overall record for the season. This program's last conference champion came in twenty twenty two. The last NC two A tournament appearance was in twenty eighteen. What record is the right time during the middle of a season in college to let a head coach.
Speaker 6: Go, that's wrong. I mean you should wait till the end of the season at least give him that that benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 4: See where he takes the team.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know there's always two there's two halfs to every season. And what happens is is if you fire the coach in the middle of the season and then you know, the momentum of your team, even whatever is there is gone.
Speaker 4: They're like, well, forget this.
Speaker 6: I'm not playing for this, you know, because I was here to play for this coach. And then now you got everybody jump into the transfer portal and you're not going to have anybody. That's exactly what happens when you do that in the middle of the season.
Speaker 1: Pensman, your thoughts.
Speaker 5: I thought you were to go to a different route. But to answer your question, that is wrong. There is two half basketball there. Like like Ralph said, there's people that the recruiter goes to your house, the coach goes to your house be like, hey, you want to play for my team. Here's the reason why, Here's why I give you. Here's how much money you'll get.
Speaker 2: Make this.
Speaker 5: You'll see this, You'll see that. Here's our rivalry team. And then once he's gone, the new coach comes in and everybody be like, you know what's going on here? It's like it's totally stumped the players, and I don't agree with it.
Speaker 1: Scott, your thoughts on.
Speaker 2: This particular topic. When was the momentum there at the beginning of the year which provided the impetence for them to let him go? That's why they tried to make a change the same things up. Now, keep in mind this is the exception of the rule. You're talking about a level like this or the cover is buried again with I mean, the guy a little bit of a break. I mean, it's not like you're playing Division one, Power four or five conference, but you know, administrations at the what was the guy getting paid thirty five or forty thousand dollars a year to coach this group? I have no idea what they can afford to do. I don't know how big their stadium.
Speaker 4: Is, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean there's a lot of variables and unknowns, and we don't know about the particular university. But whatever reason they made, I don't know. They think they're going to get a spark plug. But the question is is what's the next it's going to say, you let this guy had a little success, he go to let me go. Why would I want to take the job? So an adtisement or or an endorsement.
Speaker 1: For me coach Keller had entered. That was his eighth season in charge of the Lumberjack basketball program. He was coming off a nineteen and eleven campaign. He continued to raise the bar and over the past four seasons to have compiled an overall record of eight thirty one, which ranks thirteenth best in all of NC to a Division IE level. He is the fastest coach in SFA. He was the fastest coach in SFA history to record one hundred wins and now has an all time record of one hundred and forty five and sixty nine plus a conference mark of eighty nine and thirty six. And yet they left him go.
Speaker 2: I don't think I'll have a hard time getting employment those for.
Speaker 4: No, not at all, Not at all.
Speaker 6: And sometimes you get these alums that they don't they just for some reason they have his big heart onto the fact that they don't like this guy because I don't you know, or maybe the athletic director looked at it at a and it just said, well, maybe we need something better. But you know what, sometimes you know, firing this coach like this and trying to look for something better there now, unless you got money, forget it.
Speaker 1: One of Scott's quotes that I will quote him on, if you're going to fire somebody, especially in the middle of a season, do you have somebody better in mind when you do that. If you do, then maybe it's okay and you make this this switch and this change. But if you don't, what message are you sending to everybody.
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 2: So well, new case is not the right one.
Speaker 1: I thought it was interesting and that's why I thought we'd I'd bring it up to Mike.
Speaker 2: It was great. I think it's a great idea. Came up with a human interest story. Nobody in the planet will come up.
Speaker 5: And if you do what you say, Candy, you have to tell the players, Hey, this is who's going to take over before you fire the old coach.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, because you know what though, Pensman, some of those players might even stay. On the other hand, you know, and especially if you have an assistant in the system.
Speaker 4: That recruit you.
Speaker 6: Yes, then you're saving your team and you're saving what you have and you're saving everything you know.
Speaker 4: But you don't have astem within the system. Forget it, You're done.
Speaker 5: That's why I brought that up, Casey.
Speaker 4: Yes, that was a good point though, that really was, you know.
Speaker 1: So my next question the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Speaker 5: Here we go, Here we goes guys.
Speaker 7: They they let their head coach go two weeks ago, two weeks in a day, so they've been searching for a head coach and to their surprise, nobody really was as interested.
Speaker 1: Nobody that they wanted was really interested. And it's because the GM. So two weeks later they decided to fire the GM finally, and now they're finding that some of their top prospects that they wanted for head coach have left and gone other places. But the interesting, interesting thing I thought was earlier this week, Bucks Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Liam Cohen told the Jacksonville Jaguars that he was going to go back to his job with Tampa Bay now that they fired the GM. He's back to talking with Jacksonville. What are thoughts about this whole?
Speaker 2: You know, Ralph, I was thinking the same thing, and I don't know, you know, I'm sorry candy, but Ralph stumbled out something go ahead.
Speaker 1: I was saying that we're going to start with you talking about the whole situation.
Speaker 2: Scott, your thoughts, oh, I mother just point at Ralph now Byron leftwish to me doesn't sound so stupid. Look four years ago, Doug Peterson, with all due respect, did the best he could work under Trent Bulky. They're talking about a guy like Jim Harbaugh who couldn't work with him either. Okay, Jim tom Suwa won and done, couldn't work with him. Ship Kelly, by the way, fresh off financial championship with the Ohio State University, don't either. Then Bulky gets let go my mot move the clock forward, right, and what do you have? Jacksonville under five hundred and twenty some odd games out the door for Peterson or I'm sure he's getting paid good by con And of course fire and left was like where else said didn't want to work with this guy. Working with him was like career suicide. Probably is right, that's why everybody would turn him down. The right left. But here's the thing. Dan Johnson was going to Chicago anyways. Aaron Glenn playing for the NIT for the new York Jets wanted to go there. I don't think they necessarily lost out on those guys because they knew where they wanted to go, So yeah, they did, so it'll be so I don't really I think Jacksonville may have caught it just a little bit in time. They really did. When Liam Cohen, I get paid pretty good money not to work with turn bulking with the Bucks exactly all right. So but then all of a sudden, you've got a situation where, you know, the way I look at it is it isn't so bad after all. That may not be a bad job. Now I will go and have a little bit of fun with this clip here because on the External Bump Show, I got involved in the debate with the an internal bum. Okay, that talked about Trevor Lawrence and that internal bum didn't think it could play. But that internal bum, you know what the problem is that this guy he's never said in a dark press box, never covered a game as person. And I know Trevor Wawrins is a good quarterback. You don't win a national championship with clenching by accident. Under Devil Sweeney, It's hard to start off, Okay, with Irvin Meyer and then and Doug Peters forget on everything in the plus at least he got paid, okay, and then Doug Peterson trading them out and they want to call for I had a couple of decent years anyways, and all of a sudden it ends this way. So the internal poem lost that debate, and the reality of the situation is is now Liam Cohen, there's no interference from Trent cancer bulky. That's what it is. And if I want to go out to another name, Trent toxic Bulky as out of the picture, and all of a sudden this becomes a much better job, doesn't it.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm I'm glad the cons fired him. I mean, you know, because that way now they can get a coach. And if I'm trying to hire our head coach because of your general manager, you know that should have been done a long time ago. But you know what, I'm glad they did it. They woke up a little bit, and now they're going to get a coach. The question is who's going to be their general manager. That's gonna be the question.
Speaker 1: But they're looking for the head coach first.
Speaker 2: Troy Lyon did it doesn't matter. They got Dan Campbell and then they had Bradle. Maybe that worked a big delicate that can be, that can happen.
Speaker 1: Yes, Pensman, your thoughts.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 5: To answer Jay's question, the wing is starting to get a little bit better, but I'm still sore. But Mike McCarthy, I want you to listen to me. Listen to me closely. Go to Florida, Dore, what happened to Dallas. Go the flint plate down to Florida and do the best you can and coach Jacksonville and see if you can make Trevor Lawrence like he was in Clemson. As the GM situation, they will get that GM situation situated because every situation, every GM comes in and they will find a replacement for that GM and hopefully, hopefully at GM will be good enough to win a playoff game.
Speaker 2: You know, I think you're right. I think Lewis Rick would be a good.
Speaker 4: It's a smart guy. He's really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he is a really smart guy. I really am with be on that one. But the realities will get the coach. But now that you got rid of the cancer and the problem, this job because the thing is covering games of Jacksonville for the last so many years. This is a football town that is waiting until he roup. They're gonna be building a brand, tearing their own building apart practically and starting a new and a couple of years ago to have a state of the are facility in their building offices right down the street, and they already have a good training area where they practice, so they're doing some good things there. I enjoyed being part of the Jag for many years under my friend Dan Edwards and with David Woolf. So this is a franchise that's on the up. Fling and Trent Bulky had to go shod Con had already seen enough. You can't go through coach after coach after coach. It doesn't want to go there. And it gets back to what Ralph said at the time at the top of the thing. Byron left, which isn't as stupid as most people think he is. You didn't want to work with him, So I'm betting you on that one, Ralph ah way.
Speaker 4: And you know what the other team's gout.
Speaker 6: They got egg on their face now because you know why they didn't want to hire him, because they said, well, if he can't work with bulky how come he can't work with these other guys here and those other teams that didn't hire him now are regretting it now because because of that situation. But you know what though, Byron Up, which is the one that's laughing.
Speaker 2: Last, Yeah, there you go, well said.
Speaker 1: Scott. This one's this, this one's for you here. Okay, the picture the picture of the bull that's behind you, Scott, where's that from?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That one Florida.
Speaker 1: So j I let me preface that. Scott got a new vehicle called it the Bull Cruiser. We thought about putting the front license plate being a picture of a bull, so that actually is a license plate, but we don't have They don't put front license plates on cars anymore, so you only have the back one. But on the back on his license plate the surround does say Bull Cruiser. And that is actually a picture that I did take at South Florida. Yes, that so that's what that is from. That's actually a license plate that we had made from a picture that I took. Pensman, they want to know what you have to say.
Speaker 5: I have a question for all you guys, how would you feel if Jimmy Johnson was the GM of the Jaguars.
Speaker 2: Jimmy Johnson. Yeah, we know Jimmy Johnson.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they have to pay somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a general manager of the Dallas Cowboys when they swiddled the Minnesota Vikings and they're making that ridiculous trade. But that's why I don't think it'd be too many days off the boat out of Key Lark. Oh, he would do it, but.
Speaker 5: I know it'd be an interesting name.
Speaker 2: Though now a little bit too late, as eighty years old, he's having a good time broadcast thing and hanging out on a boat. I think it's been great. Maybe ten years ago, okay, but he was technically the general manager of the Dallas Cowboys because we don't Yeah, because technically Jerry Jones doesn't want anything to nineteen ninety five when Johnson was there again at Larry Switzer, who was headed a ranked thanks to Jimmy Johnson. That's another day for another story.
Speaker 1: So I will say that Jacksonville Jaguars have come out and said that they're going to hire the head coach first, and I think that's because there's so many other head coaching vacancies out there that they want to make sure that they get the guy that they want before he's gone. I will also say that former Jaguars Tony Boselli is one of the He was an All He was a five time pro bowler. He started ninety games for the Jaguars between ninety five and two thousand and one. He is a Hall of Famer. He is now part of the Jaguars coaching search to help with the process as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that reminds you of what happened in Detroit when Chris Fielman was a part of the process of Detroit. And Tony Mcelli is a really respect the name and was a Jaguars he really is. So if he's a charms of the coaching search and then eventually he'll be part of the GM search, more powers and they got a good guy. Tody was Selly is really well respected up there.
Speaker 4: Absolutely hall of famer.
Speaker 1: So my question what where do we think Robert Salah will end up, because there have been conflicting reports that he was one of the front runners for the Jaguars. He was supposed to be flying out to the Jaguars tomorrow. There are reports that he canceled his flight now because of the because Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Liam Cohen has re engaged in talks. There are a report out there that the forty nine ers are going to hire him as defensive coordinator for their second stint. What do we think? Where will he?
Speaker 8: And?
Speaker 1: Uh Pensman, We're going to start.
Speaker 5: With you, I say, New Orleans.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know what, you stole my thunder on that one, because that's what you know what the.
Speaker 4: Great minds think alike?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, yeah, that would be the job I think he could he would take.
Speaker 5: Easily, easily. Sat the Saints are easily.
Speaker 2: I wonder where you've got that line from Ralph?
Speaker 4: You great mind, like my.
Speaker 2: Friend, more than I give him credit for let the road to two hundreds begin today.
Speaker 5: And the recent I'm saying the Saints is because the team had. The team's good enough, and he wants to be indoors. He's tired of being in the cold.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I just think.
Speaker 5: The team's ready and they're ready to They just need a good coach to get him motivated. Go ahead, Ralph, Ralph.
Speaker 1: He agrees with you, Orleans ahead. Anything else you want to add to.
Speaker 4: That, No, I'm good man, I'm good Okay, Scott.
Speaker 2: The only place that makes sense for me now is he goes back to the forty nine ers and makes a boat load of money with the Niners. I don't see a head coaching job that he would take. I mean, maybe the Raiders job would be appealing. The Saints on I think they need an offensive mining coach that really did take them money with the forty nine ers, and they'll pay you a lot of money. They appreciate what you did before. They're probably thrilled that you're available again. We all know that he did a great job at that Jets defense before he was let go one ceremoniously by Woody Johnson. He really did. You can't tell me what the interim coach did. That defense went south pretty quick, didn't it. So take them money with the forty nine ers. I don't think there's a head coaching job that would make sense for Robert saw I know Larry Putten, I believe is a front runner for the Lions defensive coordinator. If he wasn't, I would say Robert Salace should go back to Detroit take that job, because he's from Dearborn, Michigan anyway, But I see him heading back to San Francisco unless for some reason or another shocking development takes place and he gets one of a few head coaching jobs. But you know what the variables, Jerry Jones, what would he do? But really the front runner for that job I think is either Tellen Moore or was it Schottenheimer?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Brian Schottenheimer. Yes, I think yeah, it'll.
Speaker 2: Be one of those two guys that I think ultimately gets it.
Speaker 1: So we have some championship NFC and AFC championship games this weekend predictions, and I'm going to start with Ralph. Let's start with the first game at three PM on Sunday, Washington Commanders against the Philadelphia Eagles. Who's gonna bill?
Speaker 6: Bill car once said, this is a National Football League and anything can happen. Okay, Uh, you know, Washington's had a good season. He got a rookie quarterback. But I don't want to see Kenny Pickett get a Super Bowl ring, So therefore I'm taking Washington in this game only for that purpose, all right. Uh, Philly does have a good team, they have some good coordinators. If Kellen Moore leaves, but if they don't win a Super Bowl, Sirianni, I think he gets fired. So I mean, you know, uh, they they're desperate, and sometimes desperate teams screw up. So guess what Washington might win this game?
Speaker 1: Pennsman, Well, wait, wait, wait, let's go to the Let's go to the other game first for Ralph so he can make his two predictions. Go the Chiefs.
Speaker 6: I want Buffalo because I don't want to see the Chiefs get three in a row.
Speaker 1: Okay, Pensman.
Speaker 5: Oh, I have the Commanders winning because of Jadon Daniels and I have nothing against Kenny Pickett. So if the Eagles win, it's because of Berkley. So that's what I have to put on that one. And the Bills are beating the Chiefs, That's what That's what I'm thinking I have.
Speaker 4: So I don't hate.
Speaker 6: I just didn't like the way he conducted himself when he was told that he had to compete for his job and cried like a little baby, so the Steelers had to ship him out.
Speaker 2: Okay, Scott, Ralph, I was giving you. I was giving you a smart handle showing to you said that Sirianni doesn't when he's gonna get fired. Now, I'm gonna find a dunk cap and send it p's your address out in Pittsburgh. How can you say Syrian is gonna get fired? Are you seriously stupid?
Speaker 4: Super Bow or bust? He's done?
Speaker 2: Hey hear it, Sirianni's back getting fired, Rolph seriously.
Speaker 5: Really Philotal and Sri Srianni too much now I got Sterri activated here and upset with me on the phone here because I'm so wow.
Speaker 2: Serious thinks I'm going crazy because showing this guy out. Ralph, you were smart, old show. How did you get stupid over Sirihanni getting fired?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Picking away? Okay, sirih it's okay. We're on live set. We're on the live show here, Okay, so don't worry. I'm cool, sirih You know you know these things and how they light up here when you get a little loud, and so happens that mind's a little bit loudier. That's called an iPhone people. But you know, I like him. I'm gonna have it any other way her predictions. But you're saying the guy would get fired. Wow, I'm gonna I'm gonna call you the internal bomb on this show. I don't come on here very often. I'll call you the turnal bum on this show. You know what that's is tonight with you, l It's what you call me picking Bill can Seriously, Ralph, I know you can't handle it. Yeah, my predictions, Yeah, I forgot. I had to give those, Okay, Washington, Yeah, Washington. The last time the Washington team played the Detroit Lions in the playoffs, back in nineteen ninety two, they went to the Super Bowl. They beat the Lions. This year they get back to the Super Bowl again. Unbelievable year for dan Quinn. What a remarkable turned around. Jade Daniels. Lions didn't help matters out and all by having five turn rowers for the two bad that the internal bum on the other show was having a having a Ryan song here mourning the death of that team when reality set that the turnover situation will bite you all day long and it's worse than a picking cobra snake that will give you a venom in the wrong places. But true with the prediction itself. Washington, there, and I gotta go with Kansas City until Buffalo proofs that they can beat this team. I'm gonna go with Kansas City. Seriously, Yeah, why you said you're gonna be wrong?
Speaker 5: No, I'm just saying that Buffalo has a chance this week.
Speaker 8: They have a chance. Come on, Penny, everybody kis have a chance. But according to that internal bum up in Michigan, Okay, and I really haven't a loot of times from my story here tonight, the reality wa ain't morning a team. We're just talking about the reality of the situation of the four that are in there. You can't have commit five turtles like it did against the Houston Texas.
Speaker 2: It's me to win. You can't do it. But Josh Allen is a heck of a quarterback, Okay. And if you if this guy is on fire, and the Chiefs have won a lot of close games. If this game, to me, as far as I'm concerned, can't get closed. If it gets closed and you have Josh Allen, as far as I'm concerned, the Bills have a puncher's change. But I'm going to Kansas City right now. Until Buffalo approves to either. They can't over take this theme once and for all. And as far as Sirianni getting fired, well, Ralph, I think no by now at the torch that he needed that and getting fired, I think they're really happy with what he's done, and then of course he got say Kwan bark, the future of me be playing on that team. But I still say Washington comes away, will the win, and Dan Quinn looks like a genius because he how smarteran Dan Campbell and beat Campbell in his own game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I have breaking Bob.
Speaker 6: It's called the Bobby Lane Curse. My co host smoking Jim Fraser, he says to Bobby Lane curse.
Speaker 4: He calls it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty hard to say. You know, the last time that a championship was on December twenty ninth, nineteen fifty seven. I was born December twenty ninth, nineteen sixty two. I remember that day because my birthday. I haven't lived toy one of those bad boys. I'm actually helping Alliance to get to the super Bowl, not because of the fact that I'm a fan, because I'm not. I feel an objective journalist here. But I'll tell you the sound bite from Campbell would have been something that would have been unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Pensman, you were going to say something, I have breaking Dudes.
Speaker 5: Camp Jordan's didn't practice all week. Dallas Gallard diad practice all week. Commanders Go Eat Go, eat.
Speaker 1: Okay, now we are too. One of the segments that I may I created when I I don't know, probably not too long after I started the show, and it is my Town. So that is a segment where you talk about something that is happening in the town you live in now or the towne you grew up with in, if that's whichever one you prefer. So we are gonna start with Ralph, what's happening in your town?
Speaker 4: Well, not a whole lot.
Speaker 6: Penguins are doing the roller coaster season again and uh you know, so went in, went in about two games, three games and losing ten. Uh they just uh the most Christian, Tristan Jari is down in the minors where he belongs. And uh, we're gonna see what happens with the rest of the season with the Penguins and uh, you know the Pirates. Of course we had the Paul Skiings discussion earlier this but pitchers and catchers coming are starting up I think in the next week or two. Uh so for baseball, So get everybody ready for the for the games, and this week's championship games are gonna be interesting. They can grab congratulations to Ohio State for beating Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: So okay, Scott, what's happening in your town?
Speaker 2: I'm warning your reveling shirt tonight. I had a great time warning an Ron Peterson show Red Wings four of Montreal too. What can I say? Great win by the Wings and the best part about it is Rod Peterson in Montreal. I had Detroit. Rod, if you're listening here in the software to me and Broadcasting Network, and you probably are got me again, I tell you good win for the Wings over the halps. It really was. Had a great time with Rod today and you know what, I've enjoyed coming on the show. You guys are a lot of fun to be with. I love everyone. You know, I've had a high energy today the amount of Diame Mountain dew I've had. I'm still what do you know? He wrote in No matter what show I go on, I'm only get out My third one of the day started with Rod having our own show the Sports eight and now fire ups been great. So you know what, I'll stay with the Wings theme tonight and I'm really gold pretty well. No Florida stuff tonight? Well, well, actually, you know what, if you have anything Florida you want to mention Candy, I'll have to.
Speaker 9: Do it, okay, Pensman, I'm going to go little north, a little up towards the north and go to New York.
Speaker 5: And we've already talked about this, but I am so happy about Cecius Spathia getting the whole fame. He well, he deserved it, and each rill got it, and Yankees are making a lot of picks. So I think we're going to be the ALE champions once again. That's what's happening in my town.
Speaker 1: So one of the things, one of the towns that I associate with obviously is Milwaukee because I grew up there. I lived there for over forty years. One of the things that was announced tonight was the first ten NBA All Stars were revealed tonight, and one of them was Milwaukee by forward Giannis Andy de Campo. He earned a spot for his ninth consecutive All Star Game game, while Los Angeles Lakers superstar Lebron James scored his NBA record twenty first appearance at the event. So the Eastern Conference will have Jalen Brunson, Donovan Mitchell, Giannis, Jason Tatum, and Carl Anthony Towns and the Western Conference and if I mispronounced the name, I apologize, But Shahi Jo Horace, Alexander, Steph Curry, Nikolajokic, Lebron James, and Kevin d Rant. Despite leading the fan vote for Guards in the East, Charlotte Hornet star Lamello Ball narrowly missed out on making his second All Star appearance, and then there were others that didn't make it as well. But the NBA will announce the fourteen other All Star players next week. The All Star Game is scheduled for February sixteenth in Golden State. The other thing is, and I know I'm gonna I've said this last night. I'm gonna yeah, Jay, thank you very much. You thought I was twenty five. No, I let I am quite older than that. We won't go into quite how how old, but that's fine. The other thing that's happened in my town is, for those of you that didn't see Monday night, Eric Katz and I did a tribute show to Bob Buker. So rest in peace, Bob Buker. As far as Florida goes, the Panthers are playing. The Heat are playing. In fact, tonight, the Heat are playing My Milwaukee Bucks to be honest with you, the game is still going on. Last I checked. Let me see if I can give you. It's in the third. Milwaukee is up eighty one to the Heat sixty two. The Heat have suspended Jimmy Butler for the second time this season, and I think it's even the second time this month much less so. That's kind of the things that are happening in my town.
Speaker 2: Well, let me add one to it. I didn't know if you were going to mention this that you mentioned to me before I went live. Miami Hurricanes were hosting a Notre Dame Fighting Irish over a hard rock at the stadium. I believe on it Sunday, August thirty thirty first something like that. I think the NFL starts the following week. It'll be pretty good. And God willing helped providing for me anyways that Candy and I have been able to cover the game. She's never seen the Fighting Iris. Love nothing better than Candy had seen the Fighting Iris. And Miami Hurricanes should have made the Collge football play. If they didn't, obviously they didn't win the important games and it mattered. But a load that you don't know Miami and Notre Dame have had a pretty good rivalry over the years, and it'll be great to see them face off and kick off here at hard Rocky. I'm look aboard again. I believe it's on a Sunday night. I don't know what network it's on, but it's much watched TV.
Speaker 1: Anything else anybody else wants to talk about?
Speaker 2: Sure my book?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: Yes, we want to promote that. We have not done that yet. Let's make sure we do that. The South Florida Tribune Publishing Company published a book, Lessons from the Microphone, Tuning into the Enduring Wisdom of Visionary Leaders. It is written by Scott MotorCity mad Mouth Morgan. Roth talks about his forty plus years in the business and how it has changed. It's available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kindall, Google, Apple and Audio coming later this year. Scott tell us a little bit about your experience about writing.
Speaker 2: It right, aligning it in next cards, memories forty five years, and making old school media versus new school media. The only regret I have is I didn't add a few more pictures. But the book coach I had invited me that this is a better book with more content the pictures, I had no problem. I'll write another one later in the year, and those pictures that I didn't get earlier will be in the next version. I'll all line it sometime this year. It was a fun book to write, brought back a lot of great memories and for those of you that are getting it that are not familiar with the industry, this is a good book that will educate you about old and we're at least that it was a lot of fun to write. It really was, and I can always say now that I'm a published author, and that was one of my lifelong goals is to be that. Let alone being in this industry for five years, it was something that I was really pleased to do. But I'm not done yet.
Speaker 1: Awesome, Awesome again. That book is available on Amazon, Burns and Noble, Kindle, Apple and Google Books. Audio coming later this year, and there's also a link on our website www dot self, flirt Attribune dot com for it. Ralph tell us how can people get a hold of you?
Speaker 6: Well, I have my own production company or W Media Productions. You can catch me on YouTube Ralph Williams RW Media. Please subscribe and I have all my shows on there as well, general talk, sports, wrestling, and a whole lot more on there, so check them out as well. I have two radio shows here in Pittsburgh on Saturday eight am to nine am, the Ralph Williams Show. My guest is next Saturday, not this Saturday. This Saturday, it's just me because the fourth Saturday of the month I always i'm I'm solo, but every other episode I have a guest on. I have Tony Moreno coming on next week. He's running for Republican side of the Mayor's race in the City of Pittsburgh. And then from two to three pm, I have the Sports Corner Radio Show with me Ralph Williams, Smoking, Jim Fraser, Claudia Rozonno and Luther Deprie and the External Bum Show from nine am to ten am, and it's now on the Huddle Sports Network as well as YouTube, Facebook, putsch and Twitter x platforms and all my shows the Sports Corner Show in the Wrestle Talk Show on Tuesdays is also on the Huddle Sports Network as well, and you can also reach me on Twitter please follow me, and also I'm on Facebook and Tumbler and LinkedIn.
Speaker 1: Okay Pensman how can people get a hold of you.
Speaker 5: Before I do that, I have one thing to say real quick, and that is I'd like to congratulate cal Perry last night because he won his first conference game as an Arkansas razorback. Hey coach, coaching that team from Kentucky to Arkansas, that is a big devotion. I just wanted to say congratulations of cal Perry going one of your first conference games. I'm proud of you. Keep up the go work. But after that, you can find me on YouTube Pensman Sports and you can find me on x or Pensman Sports.
Speaker 1: Scott, do you want to go or you want me to just go over everything.
Speaker 2: You go over? And I think my voice is taxed. I think I've done enough seriously and really for a few shows all day that I'm probably at the end. It might be better for ralphin Tenman I'm losing my voice. At least. We've had a lot of fun doing this show tonight. So you guys are great people. I enjoy coming out with these guys. You know what I think.
Speaker 1: So we are going to talk about If you like to listen to podcasts, you can find us wherever you get your podcast. I hear Google Apple Podcast check us out. Check out our our South Florida Tribute YouTube page. If you see the red subscribe button in that lower right hand corner, that means you haven't subscribed to us, please do so. We're striving for more and more because we will like to entertain and educate people, and we want to keep doing that for all of you guys, So hit that like and share, share us with all your friends and family, anybody that you think would enjoy any one of our programs. Monday nights one hundred nights such as Baseball Talk, We talked baseball Tuesday nights Inside the Pig Skin And let me just rephrase, Monday nights, one hundred nights such as Baseball Talk. He is a former MLB player on the show who has won multiple World Series rings. Tuesday nights on Inside the Pig Skin. Sometimes he has a former player, sometimes he has a former coach. Check it out. I would say Wednesday night Sports Exchange, you never know what we're going to be talking about Thursday night he does. Sometimes it does a Sports Exchange episode. You never know what they're going to be talking about. A lot of times they talk throwing a little bit of hockey. Then we have fire up tonight. Now I will say, Scott, you want me to preview you have a special show on Monday night. You want to tell us who you are going to be interviewing.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Katie, thanks very much. Monday Night, MotorCity Mad Mouse Show, seven o'clock, certain time. Why super Bowl winning wide receiver Don Beebie joins me in the MotorCity?
Speaker 5: WHOA wow?
Speaker 2: Don Debie's a good friend of mine. He really really is written a couple of books or the head coach at Aurora College or university out in Aurora, Illinois was a super nice guy. They have a good working relationship. I have a chance to meet him and get a couple of books, and of course I have one, he's got a couple, and we're going to be able to talk about a lot of different things. Run I talk about it's only the NFL A but the book also going to talk about college football today and how he works at that sigular level. I'm probably glad he's not over in the Division one level world the insanity. So looking forward to heaving and Monday night, and of course Kenny and I will be the party for New Orleans A week from Saturday for Super Bowl fifty nine out in New Orleans. It's gonna be a fun time at their first rodeo with the Super Bowl. The New Orleans will be my fath so I'm looking forward to seeing how she reacts to the circus, which will be and she won't realize le't hit her until she's there. So Don Beebe's a good guy. I have a lot of good friends in this industry, and I think, like anything else, I had a show earlier this year or later this year or last year rather with Kenny Albert. So Don Beebe's just another good guy and I have a lot more things in the world. I love one on one interviews. I really really do. It gives me the opportunity one of the guys you used to pattern myself around as Roy Firestone and Roy Firestone used to have a show called up Close and I look at you know what I want to Interviews is my version of being up close to people just to get into their heads a little bit. And even last week we had a show with the woman from the girls Frey Schamber of Commerce named Merril Katlan, who talks about making podcasts and a profession of people, but not getting too far out subject don beebe joins the Motor City man Mouth Show seven o'clock the Eastern time. Hope you can join us on the Southwork Tribune Broadcasting network again, have a subscribe, please subscriber or channel not to write up Dame, Thanks Kaming.
Speaker 4: All right, real quick, Candy, before you get into the book.
Speaker 6: If you two are going to New Orleans stopping the spirits on Bourbon and sale to my friend Brad Bohan and he owns the Establishment and he also his friend Steve Smith owns owns a.
Speaker 4: Place called Turtle Bay.
Speaker 6: They're right there on the on the French Quarter there or whatever they call that there Bourbon Street there.
Speaker 2: So yeah, somehow I got to get the Paddle Brian and have one of their hurricanes.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, question tea cup to that that they have there.
Speaker 2: People, if you haven't been on New Orleans, you have been to Paddle Brian. You got to go there. I've had so many hangovers there that you you'd laugh if you thought it was loud and wild. And I got but a couple of those bad boys in me, and then I get really crazy silly, okay. And for Kendy an cis New Orleans. She's rushing up on it to get failier.
Speaker 1: At that time, Lessons from the microphone, tuning into the enduring wisdom of visionary leaders. It is written by Scott the MotorCity mad Mouth Morgan Roth. He published it. We published it. Salt Florida Tribute published it. It is available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Google, Apple, Kindle Audio coming later this this year. Check it out. Talks about Scott's got some great stories. If you think he had stories, he's got way more stories in that book. And he's got a picture of him as a young young reporter talking to none other than Muhammad Ali. Check out the book, get your copy today. Also go to our website www dot selfword Atribune dot com. You get a copy. You can look for link for the book, a link for our merchandise store, a plethora of great articles. Check it out. Some some okay pictures that I've taken here or there, but check out check it out. Also Tuesday nights, I am on a chicks podcast. It's called Three Chicks in a Pod or Chicks and Salsa. Check it out seven point thirty Tuesday nights. Definitely, and if you want to advertise on our network or a sponsor a show, call us Scott nine three four. If you want to be a guest on a show or have show ideas, you can always email us at South Florida Tribune at gmail dot com. I want to thank everybody that was in the chatroom tonight. I want to thank you three gentlemen for thank you spending yourselves for this hour and us talking sports. It's something I love to do, so thank you. Thank everybody that watched us.
Speaker 2: And James, I appreciate the kind of words that you provide. You're the greatest. I love this guy.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you. Thank you. Guys. Enjoy football this weekend.
Speaker 6: Any other thoughts, No, no, really, I'm just waiting to see what's going to happen with this with these championship games this weekend. We're gonna find out we got a heat wave here in Pittsburgh. We're gonna be up to thirty five degrees.
Speaker 2: Wow, you and everybody else war text. I want to find out what I have at these press conferences to work when we get out to the big easy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: It's all good. It's all good. Everybody. Enjoy your weekend and enjoy the football. Let's see who wins.
Speaker 4: Have a good one, everybody all right, have a good one. Thank you.