Speaker 1: Minnesota. Goodbye. Let's start off with this one. You guys are part of my morning routine. Jenny in the morning zoo is great and we'll welcome that full time when it is time. Which is it now? Lol? This or Mike by the way, but happy the band is back together. When you have time off from work, how long does it take before one you start thinking about work, two you think about your co workers, or three you dread the return to work? See you Friday at cub and that is from Mike. Okay, when you go on vacation, how long does it take before you start thinking about work? I kind of am really good at shutting it off enough, but I never really shut it completely down because I'm always looking for ideas like, oh, that's something funny that happened. I'll put it in my phone or you know, make a mental note or whatever. How often you think about your coworkers? I mean, you know, I love you guys, but it's not like I'm going, God, what's Jenny doing right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know? Oh yeah? And how long before or you dread the return to work? I don't really dread the return to work. I mean, I like I dread getting up early, I dread the alarm going off. But yeah, I don't really have a problem with that. What about you guys.
Speaker 3: I think mine's a little bit different. It's it's evolved over the years. I'm used to I used to get very stressed when I would take vacation because truthfully, you guys relied on me for so much back in the day, and now I've got like Bailey and volunteer, and it was just a different dynamic back then.
Speaker 2: So, like, you know, I was.
Speaker 3: Getting texts about things and all of this stuff when I would be on vacation, and so I feel like I didn't get to turn it off a lot of times because I had to be there to help you guys with certain stuff, which was fine, but I just like took on the pressure of being stressed, leaving you guys hanging, even though I earned my vacation days, right, So I think I used to think about it a lot, But now my brain is like, vacation, baby, let go dread going back to work if it's a longer vacation, and I feel like that hits me the last couple of days of it. If it's a short like couple days off, I don't feel like that's enough time for me to.
Speaker 2: Feel one way or I'm not sure, right, yeah.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I've honestly only gone on a two day vacation since starting here.
Speaker 1: But you've got a week or two now, right, Well.
Speaker 4: Next in a couple of weeks, I'll be gone for like three or four days. Okay, Yeah, so I can report back to you there. But like I'm always thinking, if something happens, I'll write it down. But mostly if you guys are on vacation and I think about something that I want to tell you, I feel weird texting you.
Speaker 2: But like I had to tell you last week that I.
Speaker 4: Sat next to some Mormons at Costco and what they were talking about, because I was like, Dave might think this is interesting.
Speaker 1: What were they tell you? Did say me that I don't remember that.
Speaker 4: It was like they were on It was kind of like a first date because they were like, so, what kind of music are you interested in? And we were talking about Mormons or something, so it was on my brain that would be interested.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But yeah, mostly I'm just thinking, like, oh, I can't bother them because they're on vacation. But sometimes you I don't mind.
Speaker 1: I don't mind because it's a friend kind of a thing. Yeah, like, yeah, okay, let's do I think it is time for Ranger Jessica. I want to make sure I got her name right. Yeah, Ranger Jessica. You ready, I'm ready. Let me find the button to push, and here we go with a fun fact from a real park ranger.
Speaker 5: Hello, Ranger Jessica. Do you know why it's snowing in May? That white fluff floating around and getting on everything is actually the seeds of the cottonwood tree. The cottonwoods are huge, gigantic floodplain tree species, and they release their seeds at about the same time that the floodwaters from the Mississippi River are receding. And that's so that these teeny tiny seeds will land in the mud that's left behind after the floodwater receeds. And these trees are incredible. They can grow up to six feet in their first year, so they are super fast growing. And they also have a star shape on the inside. There's a very cool Native America can tail. But why that star is there? So if you crack open a branch of a cottonwood, you'll see the star inside the cottonoo trees. I could talk about those trees forever. They are amazing, But just wanted to let you know why it's snowing in May.
Speaker 1: Range Route Range Route Cool, jess a question for you because I walked through him Intewahta Park and there are giant cottonwood trees that two people would have trouble ramping their arms around together. How old are those trees? Do they go back before pre European times like four hundred, five hundred years? Are they one hundred years old? My friend Curtis lives over in Saint Paul and they say the oldest tree in Saint Paul is in his backyard. Oh how does he know this? Because he was looking out his back window one time and it's not like you know, it's not like it's got an alley, it's not fenced off, and there's a bunch of girl scouts out there, and so he wanders outside. It's like, Hey, what's going on. They're like, this is the oldest tree in Saint Paul, And I would say maybe three people would have trouble wrapping their arms around. It's you've never seen anything like it huge. So, Ranger Jessica, tell me how long cottonwood trees grow because you walk through like a path by your house and see a giant cottonwood tree. Is it one hundred years old or is it four hundred years old?
Speaker 4: If it grows that fast in one year, six feet in one year, then maybe it's relatively young.
Speaker 2: It just grows fast.
Speaker 1: Let me know.
Speaker 4: There's a really big tree right by the Lake of the Aisles and it had been marked to get like cut down, and somebody, I don't know, tree activist or something put a sign on it that like dated it, and so it said, like, this tree is this many years old, This tree has seen all of these historic events. Do not cut down this tree. And they didn't cut down the tree. So I don't know how old was it.
Speaker 3: Do you remember?
Speaker 4: Oh it was like I don't like one hundred and fifty years old or something, and it said, like this tree is older than anyone who's living on earth today.
Speaker 2: Sure yeah, And like here's all of the things that this tree has seen in this area.
Speaker 1: Well, this is what I like to think about, to look at an old tree like that and think this predates Europeans coming here, like like a Native American might have leaned against this tree, or you know, walked by this tree or walked around this tree, and I like to think about that, and the same thing in Colorado. The trees on the brea where I live in Colorado, they can be about two hundred or three hundred years old, well before Europeans came, and I like to think how many natives from two hundred or four hundred years ago walked right by this tree.
Speaker 2: History is fascinating, it.
Speaker 1: Really is, you know, Okay, next one writes in, I want to say love listening to the show every morning. Oh please don't say my name, so I will go back and I will delete your name. I need some advice. I've been in my current job for a while now, and honestly, I do absolutely nothing. I am bored out of my mind. It's starting to feel like my brain is turning to much. I'm always asking for more to do, but there just isn't much work coming in my way. Frustrating because I'd like to stay busy and challenged. I'm wondering if I should wait it out and hope things pick up, or if this is a sign I should start looking for something new. I'm nervous about making another move too quickly, but I also don't want to waste my time in a role that's not helping me. Any advice on how to handle this kind of situation. Should I stick it out or start the job search? Thanks so much, Love you guys. First reaction is start the job search, because if it concerns you enough that you're writing into the Minnesota Goodbye, then it's concerning enough that you just need to leave.
Speaker 4: Well if you're asking to, if you're asking for more work and they're not giving you more work, I wonder if you ask for more work in conjunction with saying if I don't get more work, I'm going to find another job, if they would give them more impetus to give you more work.
Speaker 1: There is also the risk that if you ask that they'll be like, oh, then we don't need your position.
Speaker 4: True.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: A friend of mine worked for She was an office manager and during the pandemic, nobody came into the office anymore, so she literally had nothing to do. She would try to find things to do, but she couldn't find anything to do, so she put up you know, she started printing up a company newsletter. Okay, well, that kept her busy for an hour or two a week, but Eventually they looked at her and she was making eighty thousand dollars a year doing nothing. Yeah, and she was not lazy at all, but she got laid off because they realized, we're paying you eighty thousand dollars a year, we don't need you.
Speaker 3: I'll be honest, when people say that they don't have enough work and like aren't given more work, that surprises me a little bit. I know I don't understand everyone's jobs, but like anytime I've been in a job like that, I have made work for myself. So honestly, before I got on the Day Ryan Show, I used to be on a morning show down the Hall, and I had such little responsibility that I just started like going across to a different studio, learning from another guy who did all this production, and like learning different things, and I would just like infiltrate myself into different stuff to make sure I had work to do, because I was just sitting in a studio pretty much every morning doing barely anything. So I feel like there's always something you can figure out to do. I obviously can't speak for every industry, but I really feel like there's something you can figure out to do.
Speaker 1: When I worked at Sambo's back when I was a kid. That was my summer job between junior and senior year. The boss said, there is never an excuse to sit around doing nothing. There is always something to do. My title was dishwasher, but that also meant toilet cleaner. Yes, supply bringer in her truck, onloader anything. He said, if you ever find yourself with nothing to do, you're not doing your job. There's always something to do, so I can't imagine. And same with this job. There's always something we could be working on, answering emails, writing new bits, writing whatever. All right, Janita is here with her rant. And did you not play Janita's rant when I was here last week?
Speaker 2: I want to.
Speaker 1: I wanted you to hear it. Yeah, I want to hear it too. I'm glad that I didn't miss hit. Okay, here we go on eat.
Speaker 6: Hey, Hey, y'all, So this week's rent is about white people that want black people to do white people shit. Now, let me explain. So this past holiday, we were hanging out with our friends and family, and the one couple who we've been friends with for like over twenty years. They're always asking us to do shit. They just know black people don't do. One weekend, they asked us to go bungee jumping, not happening. The next time, they asked us to go canoeing, not getting in the water. They wanted us to go to a pool party. Black people will go to the pool party, but they ain't getting in a damn pool. So just this past murial, I mean just this past holiday. So they said that we should all we should go camping with them. I'm not fucking going camping. I'm not sleeping outside of the tent. You know, we don't do that. Stop asking me that I am not sleeping outside. Black people normally don't sleep outside unless they get evicted. Now sleeping outside the tent anywhere with bugs and bears and whatever the hell else is roaming around outside, I'm not doing it. So then she says, well, we could do a practice run and we can set up tents outside in the backyard. Not sleeping outside in the backyard. No, it's not gonna happen. Stop asking us to do white people's shit. It's not gonna happen. Well, that's why I read for this week.
Speaker 2: I love you guys. Bye.
Speaker 1: Okay, that is kind of funny.
Speaker 2: That's funny because Vaughn just went on kayaking.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he's break breaking the rules here.
Speaker 1: I did notice, and this is I'm gonna go ahead and say this because it's in my mind and I'm known for saying what's in my mind. In Yellowstone Park, I did not notice a lot of people love color. And I don't know if it's just because that was just there weren't but nearly everybody out there is what, Oh, Japanese, Man, I tell you there are a ton of Japanese people. And I would say, man, I'm not quite really exaggerating. Close to half of the people that I saw in Yellowstone Park were Japanese. Interesting, and I thought that was interesting. I thought, wow, that the economy in Japan must be really really good because to fly over here and go to Yellowstone Park, which is like, you know, you gotta fly to Jackson Hole or Billings rent a car going to the park. So I thought that was really interesting.
Speaker 4: I wonder if you, like, if you are living out of the country and you google like a big park in USA, if Yellowstone is just the first one, though, it must.
Speaker 1: Be like most desirable and maybe they don't have anything like that in Japan.
Speaker 2: Do you remember when you went to Japan if they had big national parks or something.
Speaker 1: I don't. They do have a Mount Fuji Okay which you can, like, you know, drive up part way or maybe all the way. I don't remember, but it could be because you know what, that might seem just as exotic to them as Kyoto seems to us. Yeah, so, Wanita, thank you for the rant to miss you. Thank you. Here's an interesting one. I was listening to an episode where a listener wrote in that works for the airlines and pretty much worked every job is there is for them. I'm curious if she could shed some light on something. Since marijuana is legal in a lot of states, is it true that TSA doesn't really check for single vape, pens, gummies, edibles, et cetera, as long as it's not a huge amount. I'm sure you can't just bring flour through, right. I have friends that fly often and say, you know, you can bring those with you. I've literally put my wallet, THC pens, keys, phone in the bin and watch it go through and the stuff has returned. No bigie at all. I've personally done a few times but left it in my carry on where it's not in the open for everyone to see. Does TSA really check or care for that stuff? Can you still get in trouble? Find THGC that is not nicotine? Thanks for all you do. Lickety lick dart lick. That is from Lucas. I don't know anything about it. I know that it used to be when you were in Colorado where lee weed was legal, that it had a sign that said you cannot fly we marijuana out of Colorado, so you can drop it in this courtesy box over here, or if we find it, you can be subject to a fine and arrest. And I never tried to fly weed out. I'm not a big weed guy. I don't really enjoy weed, but I did try to bring some back for Fallon and Steve one time. No I tried to mail.
Speaker 2: You tried to mail it.
Speaker 1: I tried to mail it, Yeah, and they figured out they flagged it. I got a letter from the post office that said, we've got a box down here at the post office that we think is the illegal and if you want to come by and pick it up, we will have to open it to give it to you, or if you ignore this letter, we'll throw it away. So I bought weed for Steve and Fallon in Colorado and it never got to them.
Speaker 6: All.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: It's so funny because I mean we almost Steve liked to engage in stuff like that, but Fallon didn't. And you don't like that stuff, so it's funny that you went out of your way to do that.
Speaker 2: Was it for a bit?
Speaker 1: I love my friends, so yeah, I don't know if somebody's listening who knows about that one. I have a friend Tracy who works at TSA, but I don't really like to bother him because I think I asked him one time and he said, yeah, don't put me on the radio about that. But somebody will know.
Speaker 4: Well, someone did email in last week saying that they had like a bunch of different jobs in the airport. So that's why this person's calling there or emailing to ask.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and that is going to be it for the Minnesota goodbye. There are something we didn't get to so if you wrote in going her you never read mine, we'll try to get to it tomorrow. But also we're always looking for new fresh emails, so send those in Ryan Show at KADIWB dot com and we will get you on tomorrow here on the Minnesota Goodbye