Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of October twenty eighth, we're discussing Season four, episode ten, aka the last one of only murders in the building. This one was called My best Friend's Wedding, and we feared for Loretta's safety, but they dispense.
Speaker 1: With that right up top, they too have been listening to the girls. No, no, no.
Speaker 2: We are not going to do anything to Meryl Streep except ship her to Newzy.
Speaker 1: Please don't worry. We've got it. It's all taken care of. We're gonna kill We're gonna kill somebody else at dire Lisa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they also had the trio finally nod to the ridiculousness of every time we saw a murder, another one happens. Yes, they did do that, but that did not prevent, unfortunately, the victim from being the victim.
Speaker 1: For the first time in this season. They were all winky about stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, little sarcasm from this season.
Speaker 3: Oh all this poke, poke, poke, get it. Look at this off movies, DV algorithms. Y. My side is sore, stop it. But you know what, you know, I've had problems with this season and I've talked about it every week, and this finale was really kind of a mess. But I forgive absolutely everything for that Jan reveal.
Speaker 1: If the whole season was just a long joke leading up to that, all was forgiven, masterfully done, just out of the freaking etherch. They just planted that little seat at the beginning that Jan was somewhere in the tunnels, and then paid no attention for to her.
Speaker 2: Yep, everybody, just look another way.
Speaker 1: Were adorned that that was just the cherry on the top of the Sunday of how ridiculously nothing. The season has been very very good, show that you had that in your pocket this entire time.
Speaker 2: I mean, we did say at the time when jan appeared in Charles's coat closet, having harcourd her way out of prison and then found her way into the tunnels of the building, we said, where yea is She's still in the in the tunnels, And in fact she was eating the deepooty in the tunnels.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, that was just glorious. That so much. Yes, but you know the whole I liked that we got to see the Westiest one more time rallying to be a distraction, but only some of them of them, But.
Speaker 2: We didn't get the entire Sauce family, Like I mean, we could make a very long list of all the plot holes and dangling things, but like you know, they didn't wrap up basically any of that, you know, dudeing off Westy stuff, Like who was in the picture that got scratched out? Was that actually Helga? Like why Helga? Period?
Speaker 1: Like what well? That will plot line was worth it? For the line. We're just a bunch of cute weirdows who torched a body again. All right, I'll accept that. I'll accept that simmation for all that nonsense. Right, And they did come kind that's excellent, right, And they.
Speaker 2: Did come up with when they were outside the door trying to distract Marshall p Pope from killing Mabel, they came up with all kinds of you know, we're making chicken and we don't know what we're doing, and you know, they were just a desperate number of yes, frand stuff.
Speaker 1: I would love for that to have been improvised, but I don't care. It's just it was just it was like this whole episode was them just admitting, yeah, this old is a mess, wasn't it. Okay, We're just gonna throw a bunch of stuff and get the screen and then damn taking it back season one?
Speaker 2: Thank you, And at least Uma got one more line, no too. She got a couple in this in this episode, got the wedding. She went to the wedding, which I'm kind of surprised she didn't just like grouchily stare at it from.
Speaker 1: Her apartment with just having a good time.
Speaker 2: After she after she thought she saw a roach.
Speaker 1: And scream oh goodness, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and the bulldog is still alive. We haven't seen that dog for the entire season.
Speaker 1: But it was the pig there too. Was he willing to creatures have been there?
Speaker 2: I don't think, but Helga maybe took the pig.
Speaker 1: Maybe Helga took the pig.
Speaker 2: Yeah, off to the land.
Speaker 1: A sentence you don't feel like you're gonna say very often. Maybe Helga took the pig. Took the pig. Oh goodness, oh man, this just was this just was completely ridiculous. But the whole like the backstory with Saz having decided, you know, to get out of stunt stuff at her age and become a writer and and then be betrayed by this person. And there was some really dramatic good acting by Jane Lynch there. It was really kind of heartbreaking all that stuff and uh not a not a a flavor we usually see from that character, right, and so that was aw aw But to shoot her, I you know, nothing could be as gloriously out of left field as jan But back then it wound up being the writer. Really, this is the way we went with this. Okay, you know writers are dangerous. You gotta watch us every minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially writers, somebody, especially writers who also have stuntman skills.
Speaker 1: That's right, and you know have been raised to be killers.
Speaker 2: So yes, daddy issues.
Speaker 1: We can't get.
Speaker 2: All of us everywhere. Ah, It's just I thought it almost seemed a little parental of Loretta to to decide that Oliver shouldn't go to New Zealand with her because he couldn't leave his friends.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was a parenting thing.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm. And hey, look, remember Loretta has a son. There you are?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was wondering and he was gonna show up.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen him all season either.
Speaker 1: Always invite your long lost son to your nuptials and even longer I think since we've seen Oliver son, yeah, yeah, he was first. I was expecting that maybe Loretta's son would be there somewhere. I was very happy to see all of a sudden there too. It was like, hey, they remembered, right, They found that actor somewhere said come on back.
Speaker 2: Are you busy?
Speaker 1: You think? Can you get called up to say could you come back? We just need you for one episode. They're gonna think, oh crap, am I the victim?
Speaker 2: The guys shoot me? But if you were the victim, you would know that you'd behbacks.
Speaker 1: Yes, that actor plan well, spoiler alert if you didn't see the episode and don't want to know who the next season's victim is. Fast forward a little bit. But that actor who plays Lester, I mean rip, But you're gonna get a lot of work next season, buddy, You're.
Speaker 2: Getting a lot more work than you had this season.
Speaker 1: Yes, So don't no more just standing at the door and giving a quip or two. You're actually gonna we're gonna get flashbacks to you, buddy. We're gonna find out about your life. Maybe unless you accidentally got shot and they thought you were somebody else, in which case maybe not so much.
Speaker 2: But well, it's obviously gonna be connected to this. Yes, mobster dry.
Speaker 1: Cleaning Carleoni I have not seen in a long time, because it's like, I know this actress, but I don't know who she is. I had to wait till the closing credit. It's like, oh, yeah, golly, it's been a while to you.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Your son used to watch her show though.
Speaker 2: Right, Adam Secretary, Yes, he watched all of Madam's Secretary multiple times. I think, oh, well, then he moved on to two U n C. I s and Leroy Jethrow Gibbs.
Speaker 1: Yes, but so I guess she's got a job for next season. Good for her. Yeah, yeah, I'll mind that. Find find if actors we sort of recognize and are happy to see again and give him a job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, excellent, not playing herself.
Speaker 1: No, that's true. Yeah, that would I wonder at the end of this, Uh, Eugene Levy and Eva Lunkuria and Zach what are we galif? And achis what did they call aniphal axis? Was one of the better ones. But I wonder if they thought, well, that was the thing we did. I thought it would be a little more important, but it kind of lost track of us somewhere along the line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but at least we loved.
Speaker 1: That would be awkward to kill a killer like a real life person, I was thinking, because they were saying that the only people who knew about this stuntman were Saz and the and Glenn and the director, And I'm like, they gotta kill Ron Howard. Is Ron Howard going to be the next victim? That would be something different? But no, is he gonna come to the wedding because he just had a dinner with Oliver you know, yeah, I could have just stopped by to pay his regards, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they did, you know, put a little button on it by having the trio of actors say like, well, if if they're worn't for us, you would have figured you wouldn't have figured it out. I don't know what we did, but we did something.
Speaker 1: We don't know what you did either. Friends, yea, bye, Plese, don't go back now. You can go back one, only one of you at a time, though, and really really Eugene Lovy, the rest of you.
Speaker 2: The rest of you know. Thanks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was that was a thing they tried, and yeah, I don't think it was as funny as it seemed like it was going to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they didn't need Evil Longoria's nineteen and one pink tool.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's true. That's true too. I'm surprised it was marshal for those afterwards. You never know when you might need to shoot nails into somebody, that's right, or give them a good massage, or record what they're saying. That's right. Perfect.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately we did not see Davine and Joy Randolph in the finale. That was that.
Speaker 1: It was a big big time Oscar winner, now, you know, and.
Speaker 2: I guess, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why wasn't she there at the end wrapping everything up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she wasn't. Even she wasn't there like arresting jan was she?
Speaker 1: No, she was not. She could have been invited to the wedding. They would have invited her to the wedding, right, buddies, Oh well, another season.
Speaker 2: One more and that's it?
Speaker 1: Right, that's is it? That is that it did have? They said they're only doing it for certain number of years. I hope.
Speaker 2: I think it's I think it's about time.
Speaker 1: Like go ahead into it forever. Well, you know, yeah Martin shortened, Steve Martner getting up there. I wish them no ill, but you know, and Selena is like read article. Selena is a billionaire. She has enormous like real estate holdings and businesses.
Speaker 2: She has a beauty company too. Yeah yeah, and think of the residuals from Wizards of Waverley Place.
Speaker 1: She doesn't need this bleep.
Speaker 2: She's can you even watch that show anymore?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Is it on the depths of Disney Channel Disney Plus, Well.
Speaker 1: They're bringing it back like a like a sequel of it. But I think she's just like appearing in the first episode because she definitely doesn't need that. No, So you know, it's I hope that next season will be better. I think they just got a little I don't know, too famous and just too I felt bad. I felt bad about ringing this bell every episode to that too many famous people, too many celebrities. And then I read Alan Sepenwall's review of the whole season and he said exactly the same thing. So me and Alan, you know we need the problem welcome just don't know again, right, And you know, if you want to just periodically have Jan shoot somebody out of nowhere, Terry will allow that. Stealth serial killers, serial killing serial killers. You never know when she'll pop up just when you need her, right, hilarious. That was what else Chef's kiss? I adored that. It was just so ef and ridiculous. It's like, yes, this is the perfect solution for this.
Speaker 2: What else parenting can we say about this?
Speaker 1: That's what else parenting can we say about this? Let's see watch out what you tell your kids. You know, they may have like an interest in something that you are personally not interested in. Uh, don't don't force them to be the thing you want them to be. I mean, that's special sort of thing you want them to be as a killer. But still let the boy go right. You know, sometimes if you if you squash their natural interests, terrible things happen.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: So you know, parents, we all have our our dreams for our kids. But if if they would prefer to do something non violent, that's probably a good go ahead. And yes, go try to be a writer in Hollywood. It will make you feel like you want to kill somebody and then come up in right.
Speaker 2: Then I'll be here with this rifle for you when you need.
Speaker 1: Yeah, being a writer, good luck with that, you know. And then when you're ready to, when you're ready to put some hurt on that person who's not paying you, come back to me. Yeah, it's writing is not a real profession. It'll blow over such a small pervage of people. And you know, a good lesson to kids to not take other people's work as your own. Make sure you drill that in. It's really not cool to steal somebody else's work. And it will always come I mean, at least if you're on a TV show or movie, it will always come to a bad end when you do that. Yes, don't do that. Don't do that. Don't plagiarize. Don't cut and paste big swatches of stuff off the Internet and paste them into your work and assume that nobody's going to notice. I edit notice by novice authors, and I you know, to tell is if the punctuation style changes, if the wording style changes, if they're suddenly using big words that have not done elsewhere, it's like and then I just like, you know, copy a swatch of it and paste in it to Google and oh look here there it is. Yeah, so it's not cool people, Gosh, a writer will just put their heart and soul into something. Don't take that. Look what happened to sas that was. You don't want to be that person who's stealing her work.
Speaker 2: No, definitely not.
Speaker 1: And parents have a harder and harder time figuring out that their kids doing that. But still make it clear, you know, your own crappy work is better than stealing somebody else's because I can always teach you how to kill, so we're good. Don't do that either, By the way, don't do that either. Don't hear this did not turn out well? I bet his dad is gonna wish he had never taught that kid to joot a gun. Yeah, or to crawl like outside windows and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's taught him that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. See. Unfortunately, don't take a protege is another good lesson. Oh well, and and don't expect too much from TV shows. Just lay back and be used.
Speaker 2: That's a little lesson from Terry.
Speaker 1: They can stick the landing, which this did just by being throwing everything out the window and being completely ridiculous. Right, I can respect that. Just stop poking me in the ribs.
Speaker 2: Well, next week we're going to start something new. We are going to get to season two of Shrinking. Yes, it's on Apple TV Plus and we very much enjoyed season one, so we are excited to be back for more. We are a few weeks behind when it's dropping, but we are just going to go one at a time.
Speaker 1: And so choose to watch it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So next next whe day we'll discuss the first episode. This is the first episode of season two and it's called Jimmy Ing. Yep, So we will see you back here tomorrow though for our regular weekly roundabout round up.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.