Speaker 1: Yeah, ripped.
Speaker 2: News need advice so you don't happen.
Speaker 1: Come running just as fas as we can.
Speaker 3: Shooter's gonna help Come Man Dix is the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 4: No Tom Martino, Hi.
Speaker 5: Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. Three oh three seven one three talk three O three seven one three eight two five five. Here to help you any way we can with help information referrals.
Speaker 2: We do it every single day, Monday through Friday.
Speaker 5: And I want to uh talk about a lot of important things going on today. Uh in the stock market. It's crazy stuff going on. So I'm gonna do that in just a minute. But I noticed Suzanne is on the phone about an h O A issue.
Speaker 2: So Suzanne, what's going on with you?
Speaker 6: Hey Tom, thank you?
Speaker 2: What's happening?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 7: In May on.
Speaker 6: Mother's Day, I got a call from a neighbor that water was coming into her unit. Uh, and she was saying it was from my unit above her garage.
Speaker 2: Are you in a condo? Yeah, okay.
Speaker 6: And it has a strange design where the my the crawl space in her garage is behind locked doors. I never even knew about it. And there was a leaky pipe in there.
Speaker 2: In who's crawl space Your neighbors.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my neighbor who's She actually lives above me, but this was her garage, which is below my unit.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 5: So your it wasn't your water. It was water going into your apartment, into your condo.
Speaker 6: It was Yeah, it was maybe my water, but it could have been other people in my building that share it's a common area, is the bottom line.
Speaker 5: Well, you're saying the leak though, you're saying the leak was in a crawl space, yes, and the crawl space is not accessible from your unit exactly, and the water was flowing where from the crawl space to where.
Speaker 2: Into her garage and then from her garage into one.
Speaker 6: It wasn't It wasn't that big of a leak that it was like streaming out, you.
Speaker 2: Know it just did it do damage to your place?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 8: No, And okay got its. The issue is that she she's a lawyer, and she she told me on the spot that that that crawl space had only my pipes in there, and I better get a look. You know, a plumber there immediately.
Speaker 9: And still with it.
Speaker 6: So I got somebody there on a Sunday evening and he did a great job. Patching it. It took him forty minutes and I paid him seventeen hundred dollars on the spot. And then he got a mitigation crew to come to look at it and clean, you know, start cleaning the next day.
Speaker 5: But now your insurance, if this is your responsibility, your insurance will cover it.
Speaker 6: Yes, And they've done the assessment and they're like, no, you were not negligent. But the neighbors insistent had been insisting that it was coming from my hot water.
Speaker 5: Doesn't it doesn't matter, okay, It doesn't matter what the neighbor says. It matters what it is. Hold on, Suzanna, and I'm going to come to you, okay. I have to think of the experts I want to get on. And there's another reason. I also want to go to another caller, But do.
Speaker 2: Not hang up. I mean, I'm not done with you at all.
Speaker 5: I want to help you, okay, and I appreciate your your patients want to I want to talk.
Speaker 2: To Michael Abate. Michael are you there, sir?
Speaker 10: I am Tom, How are you good?
Speaker 5: Michael is with Atlas CPAs and financial advisors.
Speaker 2: And everyone show not everyone.
Speaker 5: Most everyone is looking at the stock market because there's been a major change. Now in general terms, Michael, I want to talk in general terms. I don't want to ace out people who don't have a degree in accounting your finance, and I want to talk about this because this does affect everyone. If you have a four oh one K and I RA, if you have a stock account and individual account. It also affects businesses and business plans. And the stock market affects everything. Stock market is common ownership and stuff. Let's just put it that way. And even though we believe that big corporations are big corporations, they're really not. They're big corporations made up of a lot of people. Now, obviously you have some big stockholders that control things, and we call them, some people call them fat cats and all that. I don't want to get into all that. I want to get into the stock market. It's been doing so well so long.
Speaker 2: And no one knew.
Speaker 5: Why is this the first time that I mean Biden took and I'm not getting politically, but he took credit for it before that, Trump took credit for it. Let's talk about the stock market that prior to this.
Speaker 2: Kind of volatile period. Right now, the volatility has been going on now for what two weeks? Three weeks?
Speaker 11: How long, Michael, It's been a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Okay, now before that, before that.
Speaker 5: To get very simplistic, why was the market doing so damn good? Reason I say that is it was doing so damn good that you could hardly make a mistake.
Speaker 2: Why why was it doing so well?
Speaker 12: So, a lot of people invest in the broad stock market, like the S and P if you want.
Speaker 5: To talk about yeah, which is which is an index of a bunch of companies and they yeah, and and the S and P is one of them, and we have the DOWS another and okay, go ahead, Yes, a lot of people's.
Speaker 12: There were There are a lot of people that have investments in that through their four own K plans. And a lot of the returns that we've seen over the last year have been driven by some of the largest tech companies that are part of that return or part of that index.
Speaker 5: So was it was it skewed by those companies alone or were the other companies rising because of them?
Speaker 12: They're dragged up with them because they're in the index. But it definitely had a an add on effect, like if you were in the index, you got pulled up when those other companies went up, because every time someone will what.
Speaker 5: People invest in those other companies because they were just optimistic because of the tech companies. In other words, did this tech optimism spread to other companies where people would buy other companies? Yeah?
Speaker 12: I think that AI boom also helped spread out where people were looking to put their money and where they were looking at to allocate resources.
Speaker 5: Did fundamentals companies? Did fundamentals back that up?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 5: I want to talk to people really basically about this, because I believe that everyone should know a little bit about this. But in a stock market, there are many things that drive the market. There are hunches, there are attitudes, there are sentiments, and then there is reality what I call fundamentals. Is a company making money? Is it growing? Is it contributing to the economy? Is it literally a good investment not because you're to have another full buy it, but because it is a good company. Now, how much of that optimism or that the rallies we've seen in the later part of twenty three and in twenty four, how much of that was driven by fundamentals?
Speaker 12: I think a portion of it. I would say probably a third of that. If I had to put a number on Okay, because earnings for companies that have been released that are not those seven big companies have been fairly good, and the US economy has had decent data over the last year, which has also helped with the floating up of the stock markets.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what happened then?
Speaker 4: When you have high.
Speaker 12: Rates for as long as we have, we've basically it's been a year since the said raise rates the last time, the impact that has on companies, we're actually starting to see larger layoffs.
Speaker 5: It takes but it takes that long. It takes that long. Yeah, So okay, go ahead, and I'm sorry.
Speaker 12: Interest rates. Interest rates are are a blunt instrument and the feeling and the impact on companies if they're well capitalized and have reserves and can weather the storm. It's been a year now that they've had to have increased borrowing costs to the level that we haven't seen since, I mean in a long time, and that's that's been one of the challenges, is we're starting to see those larger layoffs and right sizing of companies because they can't borrow cheaply anymore.
Speaker 5: So it's okay, so we would call interest rates a leading indicator, but it takes a long time for them to show up as far as impact on the economy.
Speaker 12: Correct and people have heard about, you know, short term rates versus long term rates, and well, when you have an inverted yield curve, you're going to see a recession. We've had that for a while now, and there's not really been signs of recession from an economic standpoint that has started to show until very recently.
Speaker 2: But are we going into a recession?
Speaker 12: I would say we're probably in the beginning or middle of a very vanilla recession right now. That the challenge is you don't know about it until you're starting to come out of it because the bounce back when they start to pull rates down from where they're at. September's the next meeting, and everyone was shocked when they didn't move rates this past meeting in August. But in nineteen ninety seven there was an emergency meeting that happened and they came in and they lowered rates. The problem is there's not a fire to put out. There's not a credit crisis, there's not a liquidity crisis. This is a global repositioning and repricing of stuff that has been brewing for the last year because because of this high interest rate environment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so is it a normalization? Is it something that should happen? In other words, corrections they you know, we look at corrections sometimes as being negative, and they are if you lose value, but in reality they might be reality.
Speaker 12: Yeah, the re pricing of companies to where the market feels they should be based on price dynamics. Yeah, that's the emotions of things. That's the I'm gonna sell out of something that I wanted to get a little too greedy and had too much of. I'm going to get right sized in my positions.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's normal.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think this is a fairly normal.
Speaker 13: Market move.
Speaker 12: I mean, when people see a thousand points when you wake up first thing, that is a big number. But in reality, that's less than two and a half percent of a move on the Dow Jones. So as I look at the screens right now, we're only down seven to eighty on the Dow, and this morning at like nine o'clock it was down ten eighty. So that's a quick swing back. If things were were really fundamentally horrible, I don't think you would have seen us come off the lows as quickly as you have. And the biggest drop is in the tech heavy sector, the NASDAC sure, which is where everyone has to right size themselves because those all of those companies, because of AI and all of the other things that go along with the network that you need for that particular new growth apparatus in our economy, everyone wants to get in on it.
Speaker 5: Okay, So in essence, though, in essence, if we have recessions, they should not be as deep and cutting as they were in let's say two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine or before that in the nineties. Will we ever see those great recessions or have we learned a lesson?
Speaker 2: Or is there a lesson?
Speaker 12: I think that the lessons learned are learned well until we forget about them.
Speaker 14: Okay, it's not been long.
Speaker 12: Enough since two thousand and eight. There's been a lot of changes to the policy since then. As I said earlier, this is not a credit or a liquidity crisis like we had back in two thousand and eight and in the late nineties. And I remember the late nineties interest rates going up literally like a staircase to where they're at now. And then dropping very quickly after that because we didn't have a pandemic and we didn't have all the other things that were happening these last few years that we're recovering from. There's also been a huge, huge unwined of our balance sheet, like the Fed's balance sheet bonds or bleeding off, so that has an impact to all of this as well.
Speaker 13: It's not like.
Speaker 12: We're pumping juice into the system like we were during any of those cycles in the past.
Speaker 2: So what do you see going forward?
Speaker 5: And I know I'm asking an impossible question, but what do you think? A normalization, more recession, more inflation, what do you think?
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 12: Well, I mean, we went from nine percent inflation to down below three percent now, and that's I mean, that's very much closer to that two percent level that they're looking for. The thing that impacts the people in the four one K plans is institutional investors are using leverage mechanisms that can make things move a lot quicker than the regular person who's moving stuff around in their four.
Speaker 15: To one K.
Speaker 12: And what I broaden me by that is regular people are not playing with currency transactions and interest rate swaps and things like that, but banks and institutions are and that is the unwind I think that you are seeing as that waterfall start. It's not the regular investors saying I want to get out of the stock market. It's literally margin calls that are happening that are forcing people to sell. And to give you an example, there's no reason why some interest rate should have been overwhapped down twelve percent overnight in the market in Asia. There's nothing wrong with Samsung.
Speaker 2: And that is that's emotion.
Speaker 12: Great, that's a great emotion. And that's not even emotion, that's I can get the most for that asset to cover a loss somewhere else.
Speaker 6: Okay, I got to get out.
Speaker 5: Of Okay, got it, you know, Paul, thank you very much. I mean, if we get some call of some calls, we may call you back. But I appreciate you being on. I wanted just your impressions some quick I wanted to get some quick observations. People are welcome to call in on this. I'm Tom Martino. This hour brought to you by waterpros dot net. The best water systems, the lowest prices for drinking water at the kitchen sing fourteen hundred dollars fully installed three oh three eight six two five five five four. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 16: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 5: Time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance Paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank Durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two him Tom Martino here three oh three seven one three talk three oh three seven one three eight two five five probit Energy dot com for your solar systems. That's sales, installation and service and people you can trust. Probid Energy dot Com. Okay, I want to go back to Susan. Wait, wait, Susanne, we're getting some experts on. I'll go back to after we get some experts. I want to go to Brenda. Now, Brenda, what's going on with you?
Speaker 2: Brenda?
Speaker 17: Hi?
Speaker 2: Brenda?
Speaker 5: Hello, what's going on with your Is it a Ford Focus?
Speaker 9: It's a Ford focus. It's what's happening for eight months that of the last year. It means a new transmission. But it took them this long to figure out that it needs a new transmission.
Speaker 2: Where did you have it? Where did you have it for service?
Speaker 18: I took it to Larry H.
Speaker 9: Miller first, the first time it broke down and told me transmission fail. I had it towed to them.
Speaker 2: How many miles on it?
Speaker 9: Then it's sixty five?
Speaker 5: Really, that shouldn't that shouldn't have a bad transmission.
Speaker 2: I want to ask a few questions. How long have you owned it?
Speaker 9: A year? Thirteen months?
Speaker 2: Where'd you buy it?
Speaker 9: I bought it from Quest Motors.
Speaker 5: Okay, so you took it to Larryage, Now tell your story.
Speaker 9: So I took it there, and it took them so long to get back to me. And then when they did get back to me, just to even say that they had it, and they when they did get back to me, they called me a different name, and they had a different car, and they kind of just didn't know what was going on. So I had it towed to a transmission shop. The transmission shop told me, you need a new transmission, And at that time I had an extended warranty. I had a warranty that I purchased.
Speaker 2: And what transmission shop told you that.
Speaker 9: Mark Coppman Market Coppman Transmission Cotman.
Speaker 2: Okay, So anyway, keep going.
Speaker 9: So he said, but it's better to have the dealership do it first of all, because part of the transmission was warranted. Buy the dealership.
Speaker 5: Well, that's really nice that they told you that. That's really nice. Then so then watching, so your extended warranty when you bought the car, you had an extended warranty, and you believe that warranty covers the tranny.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, keep.
Speaker 9: Going back to the dealership. Then the dealership said no, no, no, even though on the dashboard it gave me transmission fail error messages and they're like, no, it's the sensors. We have to replace the sensors. So they replaced the sensors.
Speaker 18: It worked for a couple.
Speaker 9: Of months, and then it broke down again. And then it broke down again, and then it broke down again. It just keeps breaking down.
Speaker 2: And this was Larry H. This was Larry H. Miller who told you it was the sensors.
Speaker 9: Yes, And then they said that they thought it might be the transmission control module and then they said that it was the wire harness, and they assured me that that's what it was, that it would work just fine, that it wouldn't break down on me again and leave me stranded.
Speaker 2: So how long has l Larry H. Miller been fooling around with this?
Speaker 6: Eight months?
Speaker 9: Well for the past year, but they've had my car on their car lot for eight months out of the past year.
Speaker 5: So wait, you've had that, You've not driven your car for eight months.
Speaker 2: Did you get a loaner during that time?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 9: And I've asked repeatedly for a loaner.
Speaker 5: Well, they don't owe it to you, but it would be nice. So where does it stand right now?
Speaker 9: Brenda, one of the management got involved months ago, and he said it's his priority. He's taking care of this.
Speaker 6: Just give him a.
Speaker 9: Few days and just give him a few more days, and just give him a few more days. And he's trying to get help from from corporate and he's like, he thinks they'll help, but then they're helping other people who he requested after my request, and he doesn't know why. Just give him a few more days.
Speaker 5: So I'm just now if the warranty covers this. Do you have to take it to Larry.
Speaker 9: H My warranty expired while it was sitting.
Speaker 18: On Larry hold On.
Speaker 5: It's still going to cover this because they never fixed it.
Speaker 2: If what if, what is wrong with.
Speaker 5: That car would have been covered, they need to cover it. And I hope they told you that. I mean, it happened while it.
Speaker 2: Will it happened while it was under warranty.
Speaker 5: They can't very well say too bad otherwise, Brenda, all they'd have to do is just keep every car until the warranty expires, right.
Speaker 9: Right, But it was an extended warranty aftermarket that I purchased. That was all.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: It doesn't matter if it happened during that warranty and that warranty would have covered it, then I believe they should cover it. It just stands to reason. I mean, it just logical to me. What are they telling you right now? What's the latest you heard from these people?
Speaker 9: To give them more time, they'll talk corporate and see if there's something they can do to help.
Speaker 5: Hold on a second, I'm going to have Deputy doc. He's in the studio. Deputy Doc, can you talk to her? Call over to Larry H. Miller, come on, this is ridiculous, and also tell them that about the extended warranty. If it happened under warranty, they can vouch for it. I'm going to go to Brad O'Brien, attorney at law Real Estate Attorney ols law dot com.
Speaker 2: I want to ask them a quick question.
Speaker 5: Hey, Brad, if someone has that you live in a condo and you have common you know, you have you have common stuff, but then you have like waterlines that go to and from your condo. But if they go through another if you could picture this, if they go through another crawl space and you have absolutely no access to that crawl space and it pops a leak or something with this homeowner, her neighbor who had some damage from the water claims that she needs to cover it because it's her pipe. Now, I think the you're gonna say, maybe that the hay By laws might take effect.
Speaker 2: I don't know what would you do in a case like that.
Speaker 19: Well, the h declaration, the written document normally covers who's responsible for what inside.
Speaker 6: Okay, okayally normally.
Speaker 19: They're written where if the water line serves one unit, then the water line in the wall that serves that unit is the responsibility of the unit owner, And normally they're written that because the waterline's serving multiple units and it's an HOA responsibility. But you have to look at the documentary.
Speaker 5: Now, now I want to ask very quickly here, Suzanne, does that water line whether you agree or not, isn't the issue here.
Speaker 2: But is that waterline yours?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh, you really don't know.
Speaker 5: So the plumber who fixed it, can you ask the you called the plumber. What did the plumber say? Was it your line? Was it your cold water line going into the water heater? Did I hear something about the water heater?
Speaker 6: I think it was my line actually, because yeah, my water heater was it was working. Be fine that I was running out of hot water in the show, and I believe the hot water kind of was running out of that pipe down there.
Speaker 5: And now, now, Brad, do you know or should I ask Compass Insurance? Would her insurance cover that or would they? They're telling her she wasn't negligent, they're not covering.
Speaker 6: It, So I think it suns out. I I'm sorry, go ahead, Brad.
Speaker 19: Policies will cover it under the base policy, but some insurance policies. You have to buy an additional endorsement onto the homeowners policy to get that inside the wall coverage.
Speaker 2: Okay, Susanne, what were you saying?
Speaker 6: Okay, So it's definitely outside my unit, outside my wall and in the common area. That's been determined and proven with a video of Okay.
Speaker 5: So it's in a common area, but it's isn't it under her condo?
Speaker 6: No, it's undermine. Oh, next, like it's in the back of her garage. There's this little pony wall.
Speaker 2: But it's not.
Speaker 5: You say it's it's under yours. But what do you mean it's a common area.
Speaker 6: Because my pipes are not the only ones in there.
Speaker 5: Okay, so this is an area where pipes run back and forth. Yeah, more than yours. How many pipes are in there for multiple units?
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I couldn't really determine it because they wouldn't share any information about it or drawing rad.
Speaker 5: What do you think about that if it's in a common area, what do you think about that?
Speaker 19: Well, I think that the declaration is going to specify who's responsible for this particular pipe.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 19: Any guessing won't change the fact that, Yeah, it's determined in that document.
Speaker 5: And so if it's if it's each unit owner, she's going to have to pay it, whether she her insurance pays it or not, is what you're saying.
Speaker 2: By the way, Brad, thank you.
Speaker 5: Brad is basically stating the facts as we should check them out. We're going to check with Compass Insurance Group in general. Brad is at Olslaw dot com seven to zero three seven zero seventy three eighty eight more coming right up. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 16: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 5: Time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, you're troubleshooter three all three seven one three talks seven one three eight.
Speaker 2: Two five five. By the way, I do have a guest.
Speaker 5: Coming up, Bob logan from Plumbline and Plumbline Services, plumbing, hitting, cooling, electric and trains. I have some some texts here that I would have called him about anyway, so it's good that he's here.
Speaker 2: But on the.
Speaker 5: We're going to get Compass Insurance Group on for that also that h way, But meanwhile I also want to talk to you as you call three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five and remember you call three oh three Martino twenty four seven three oh three six two seven eight four sixty six. Josh has a question on credit reports. Hi, Josh, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Josh? Hello, Josh? What's happening?
Speaker 20: Can you hear me?
Speaker 2: Yes? I can, sir, what's happening?
Speaker 20: Do you know any creative ways to get a thirty day late payment removed off your credit report?
Speaker 5: Well, some of the ways people do, and I'm not saying it's creative necessarily, but it works sometimes is to simply challenge it and they don't answer the challenge and they have to remove it.
Speaker 2: But tell me about how long ago the thirty days late was.
Speaker 20: Oh, it just happened, and it was due to front on a bank account that got closed and.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, normally hold on.
Speaker 5: Normally, if there's a good explanation like that, the easiest way is through the credit issuer, not the credit reporting agency. But for example, I had I forget what it was.
Speaker 2: Maybe a Nordstream account, and I had it set up.
Speaker 5: On auto pay, and they they took it out late and then marked it late. And I could clearly show that is it something like that. If you can show and if you contact them, they don't want to hurt you. I mean if you say to them, look, the reason this was late was because of this, this, and this, and you can show it.
Speaker 2: Many times they'll just take it off for you.
Speaker 20: So would I just email City Bank customer service.
Speaker 2: That's where I'd start.
Speaker 5: Sometimes they have a number to call on your credit report, but you should start there and say I'm trying to look now.
Speaker 2: A lot of them.
Speaker 5: That are lazy will say, uh, you know, there's nothing you can do about it. You just have to keep crying you or you have to call the credit department or wherever it was late.
Speaker 2: What were you late paying of the credit card?
Speaker 20: It was no, it was a monthly payment to best Buy that's been on auto.
Speaker 21: Pay for the left.
Speaker 2: No. No, no, no, no, no. Then best Buy is the one that reported it, not City.
Speaker 3: Well, best Buy card through City Bank, okay, the best by So who reported it. I'd have to look, but it was probably reported as best by Financial Services, but it's serviced by City Bank.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, in that case you could also go to best Buy either one. You just have to get the issuer though. The credit reporting agency will never take it off.
Speaker 21: Yeah, it's the only way they will.
Speaker 5: Take it off is if it was truly an error, not by mistake, but in error.
Speaker 2: Okay, So like it's not you or something. So start there, Josh, and then call me back.
Speaker 5: I mean really, most of the time, whoever issued that late you know that late charge will take it off if you have a true explanation for it, because they're not necessarily looking to hurt you. Three zero three seven to one three talk seven one three A two five five. Jerry, you want to give a good report on a car dealer, Go ahead quickly.
Speaker 22: Yes, no, of course. Uh so. The dealership is Morgan County Motors. They got a location out in Fort Morgan, and you m the Colorado. I can't, for the life of me to recall the gentleman's name. But I bought a car from him a while back, and about a month after for owning give found out that it had a bad fits and minute and it needed and then in replacement the car was sold to me as is oh yeah, yes, sure a out of a cond gesture. He bought the car back from me and got me out of the loan.
Speaker 5: You know what that's that's really that is really stand up.
Speaker 2: It's called Morgan County Motors.
Speaker 21: That is correct.
Speaker 11: Thank you for doing that for everybody.
Speaker 5: But you know, no, you know what, Jerry, these things need to be These things need to be told. Man when this thing, when this kind of thing happens. And I really really appreciate it. By the way, Denver Regen dot com they are actually doing hair replenishment with stem cell therapy and weight loss compounded drugs semaglue tide and turzepetide at pennies on the dollar and they do of course stem cell therapy. Denverregen dot com. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel roofing dot com.
Speaker 16: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 5: Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation in comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, you're a troubleshooter. I want to go right to Brian Burns Compass Insurance, by the way, home of the free insurance checkup three oh three nine nine six nine thousand, which, by the way, you need now more than ever. Hey, Brian, so listen. This woman's in a condo and her water line to her water heater broke or sprung a leak and did some damage. And it's in an area she could not see. It's outside of her unit but under her unit. But it's in an area considered common area, and there are several pipes to several units going back and forth. The particular pipe that sprung a leak was hers. Now Brad O'Brien, the real estate attorney, suspects that according to bylaws, if it's your pipe, you're.
Speaker 2: Probably responsible for it.
Speaker 5: Not negligent, but you're responsible for it, you know, I mean, And her insurance is saying you, what, Suzanne, they.
Speaker 2: Turned you down? What did they tell you your insurance?
Speaker 6: If I could just finish the summary, like, I don't think you really know that, the go ahead, go ahead. They determined that I was not negligent and I took care of my unit with diligence and this is outside and then the common area.
Speaker 8: But they don't think they need to pay.
Speaker 6: They think the HOA needs to pay. So that was determined for that. But there's also this mitigation of you know, the restoration company that I called.
Speaker 5: That's exactly where I was going, but I appreciate that. I'm gonna let you finish after That's exactly where I'm going. I'm trying to find you insurance coverage, and I believe your insurance should cover it, but I want to I want to explore that and let you finish, and Brian will listen, so hang on. We have also plumb line Services dot com in the house. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're contenth time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: R you need advice who you don't have?
Speaker 1: Come? Run just as fast as we can. Shooter's gonna help. Come man, this is.
Speaker 4: The Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 5: No Tom Martino, Hi, Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. Three ozho three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five Remember water Pros for water softening two thirty four hundred dollars a full house system. That's Waterpros dot net three oh three eight six two five five five four. Hey, And speaking of water or plumbing, speaking of uh heating and air, we have plumb line services with us. Bob an age old problem has come up, and I'm gonna go right to the phones. But I trust you and I know you get these calls now. I did a whole complete social post on cooling your house the proper way. And here's what I said. So I'm gonna give these people the same advice. Your attic has to be well ventilated.
Speaker 2: First.
Speaker 5: This has nothing to do with HVAC. But if you have an attic that's closed up, you're dead. You need to have that attic open. And you need to have a soft events ridge, vents or pipes around the house vents they call them, or a solar fan that pulls air out of the attic.
Speaker 2: The attic, not the house. The attic has to be cooled because if it.
Speaker 5: Gets overheated, it radiates into the home. Even in the winter.
Speaker 2: It helps.
Speaker 5: There was another reason it helps in the winter. But you have to have these convective currents. Have you ever run across something where and I would think you guys would have to be experts in this excel roofing happens to be experts in the roofing, insulations and ventilation business, and they're looking at this particular house.
Speaker 2: But I wanted.
Speaker 5: To say to you, you guys should be experts in it, because you could end up putting a whole new air conditioning system and people get pissed at you because their upper floor is like steaming hot and it's not your system going bad?
Speaker 2: Well, what do you do in that case? What do you do?
Speaker 23: You know, you just got to educate our customers on the limitations of the system based on the home point exactly. Don't if the attic is not well ventilated. That's the big problem people are having right now. Their addicts are super high, especially with these hot this hot.
Speaker 2: Special radiating heat.
Speaker 5: I can't tell you how many reactions I got to that post I made and then on LinkedIn and YouTube about ventilating.
Speaker 2: The right way, and they're.
Speaker 10: Or old insulation.
Speaker 5: Do you guys though, inspect that and say, listen, we're putting in a new system, but you better take care of this or better yet, why don't you just get into that? But I'm serious, I mean, if you're going to be doing the air conditioning, why not say, while we're here, let's also do this.
Speaker 23: Yeah, And I've considered it too much. No, I've considered getting in the insulation business. I've considered getting in you know, attic fans and some other things.
Speaker 5: We do attic fans, but you do whole house fans. Do you do attic fans? The whole health house fans? Yes, and now that's different, right, but even a whole house fan won't work well if the attic isn't open.
Speaker 23: Correct, And so you know, one thing I want to be careful of always is we don't want to be all things to all people.
Speaker 10: What may be going to be specialists very good.
Speaker 2: At will and you are very good at what you do. So what you do is this, what about this?
Speaker 5: I'm recommending maybe you have a synergistic relationship with an Excel roofing or the or the people that can ventilate addics or whatever, or drop in attic fans and then and you actually do whole house fans though.
Speaker 23: We do, and you know in those synergistic relationships we have a few of them. Again, we've got to be very very careful.
Speaker 2: I know. We refer people because your reputation.
Speaker 10: Because their reputation is on the line.
Speaker 23: And the fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter if it's plumbing, heating, cooling, or electrical, or roofing or concrete or anything else. There's a lot of really good contractors, but there's a lot of really bad contractors, which is why you do your skill right.
Speaker 5: So somebody wants to ask, what do you do about overheating on the third floor. They don't know what to do. They just don't. And they say third floor. They have a walkout basement. And were you going to recommend the same thing? First check the attic or what.
Speaker 10: It could be atic insulation, It could be that simple. It could be you know, the it could be the system itself.
Speaker 2: What would go wrong with air conditioning?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 23: One thing we always recommend because a lot of people they try to close up rooms, they close off vents. The best thing you can do is leave your doors open. That's your house, Leave your vents open, keep your fan on on.
Speaker 10: All the time. You're you're really good.
Speaker 23: Your air conditioning system, your furnace system has a fan operating that most people put in the auto mode of meetings.
Speaker 10: It kicks on and off when the when the and you think it should just always search you always circulate.
Speaker 23: It keeps that air moving, it keeps the temperatures more regulated throughout the house. And it'll cost you pennies a month. I mean, it doesn't cost you that much to do that.
Speaker 5: Now, I want to go back to Compass Insurance and Suzanne in this issue here. So so, Suzanne was telling us that she had a broken pipe. It was her pipe, but it was in an area of a common area of a condo unit.
Speaker 2: And it's not just.
Speaker 5: Her pipe that runs through there, although hers, let's just say, for argument's sake, was the one that broke, and she went to fix it and all that, and we're trying to get her paid through insurance. But Susanna, I want you to completely finish your story, so Brian Burns at Compass Insurance can get an idea. He's our insurance expert, by the way, he's not involved in this. But Suzanne, so you had the water line fixed. How much did that cost you?
Speaker 6: Sixteen eighty four dollars?
Speaker 5: Now that you would have to pay because it's your line, and that's a normal cost of repair.
Speaker 2: But what else now is going on? What else? What else is happening?
Speaker 6: According to the bylaws, it's not my expense because it's outside of my unit.
Speaker 5: You mean the pipe itself isn't even yours?
Speaker 6: Right, Well, no, it might be, it might be coming from my unit, but it's the leak sprung down there. So way, that's already been determined by my company and they the thing the mitigation.
Speaker 4: Part is no.
Speaker 5: But I want to ask you this, though you say it's been determined. Is the HOA going to pay for your pipe repair?
Speaker 6: I don't know. They're dragging their feet about answers to that end. The restoration company which is trying to bill me over eight thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: For whose restoration yours or for your neighbors?
Speaker 6: The restoration happened in my neighbors in the cross space.
Speaker 2: No, I get it.
Speaker 5: But they had to get rid of the moisture because of all that susand there's a few issues here. The number one issue is which Compass Insurance can't help us with but we can help you is try to get your HOA. If your bylaws truly do say that those pipes outside of your house are not yours, then you need to fight your HOA. The problem is fighting in HOA is like fighting with your own money, because they just keep assessing.
Speaker 2: People to go through court.
Speaker 5: I mean, but your HOA or management company, whichever one you're dealing with, if they see that in the bylaws, then they should pay for the pipe.
Speaker 2: What do they say about that? When you say, well, the bylaws say this is.
Speaker 6: Yours, they file acclaim with their insurance company. I've been in touch with everybody, and right, yeah, and what happened. It's been seventy seven days or more since the billing is you know, it's now way overdue, and since I signed the work order, which I would never recommend, by the way, to do with anybody until.
Speaker 5: You know, I know you're responsible for that and you had to pay or they're looking for you to pay. But if the HOA truly is responsible for that pipe, it seems to me that they should pay not only for the repair, but for the mitigation, but or excuse me for the property damage.
Speaker 2: I want to ask Brian.
Speaker 5: Burns, Brian, you guys have had to have come across something like this before, have you ever? Yep?
Speaker 11: Absolutely, And my first advice is going to be what do the bylaws say? Because not all the bye laws are same. Some of them will make you, you know, responsible for things outside of your unit, but the vast majority is, like she's saying, once these pipes or anything else leaves the unit, then you're no longer responsible. It now becomes an HOA issue. So I would surely think the HOA is responsible for it. But like you said, trying to get that money is tough as far as the damage to the neighbor. This is true with almost any loss. If it was something a bit more negligent, you know, let's say your pipe leaks in your house and goes down to the unit below, that does not necessarily mean that you're going you're going to have to pay for that. And the way that insurance works is that it's for liabilities, because in that case, your liability is what's paying for another unit. The only way that ever pays is if claim comes against you. In other words, you get sued for some reason, and that your insurance has to protect you. Whether or not they end up having to pay is then is their responsibility at that point, because they're there to defend you.
Speaker 5: But they're so so she wait, you're telling me her insurance no matter what. If she refuses to pay and they come after her, her insurance would have to defend her.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, it would have to defend her, but it doesn't have to pay them for the damage. They would have to prove that this is right.
Speaker 2: I understand that. I understand that.
Speaker 5: So what if they defend her, but in the end the court finds that she is responsible, would her insurance then have to pay?
Speaker 11: Yep, that would be liability that would have to be paid. There's not the same exclusions there is in her own units like seepage or slow water leaking. If they determine she is liable, none of those are factors anymore. It's now liability is what we're looking at.
Speaker 5: So so, Suzanne, your your home coverage was your carrier, state farm?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, they have to defend the story.
Speaker 6: Does I should?
Speaker 5: Just Suzanne? I have not once stopped you from telling the story. So go ahead. What are we missing? Don't recap tell us what we're missing?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's that The problem is that HOA definitely is I believe, and it's been determined they should be responsible with their insurance company. They did file a claim. Nobody is corresponding back to me to say when it's going to be resolved. And I'm going to be, you know, attacked by a collection agency and if my credit could get ruined very easily. If that, they're looking out for me right now.
Speaker 2: But the who's looking out for you right now?
Speaker 6: Not answering the mitigation company is not. They're just trying to get the HOA.
Speaker 9: Give them an answer about got it now?
Speaker 5: But you said one other all of that all of that you've said, as far as you said it's been determined, they put a claim in with their insurance. If that was the rest of the story, we knew that. Then you said you're afraid of being collected on. You had told us that before. That's what we're addressing that. We are telling you that if they come after you for collection, that's exactly what we have just told you.
Speaker 2: If they come after you for collection.
Speaker 5: I can't help the credit part of it as far as ruining your credit, but you can defend yourself through your insurance. If they come after you and then that other company or excuse me, then the HOA would have to determine your at fault. But you said it was determined. You said that three times. So here's what I need to know. When you say it was determined that it's the hoa's responsibility, who determined it?
Speaker 6: My insurance company, Well, they don't get to determine.
Speaker 5: They don't get to determine who's response onsibility.
Speaker 2: That is okay. When you said it was determined, that was confusing. You're you're right, so is the HOA.
Speaker 5: Susie. I promise you I'm not just doing this just to interrupt you. I swear to God, I know what I'm doing. I need to know this. Did the HOA agree it was their responsibility?
Speaker 6: They're not saying they're they're just not answering the question. I keep asking it, okay, and they say that they're waiting for the insurance company is waiting for a report from their adjuster. But I spoke at the adjuster and he submitted that to them. He says, like a month ago, and they're just not answering.
Speaker 2: And what did he say? His determination was dud. Did the adjuster say he agreed with you?
Speaker 6: I don't know. He wouldn't tell me what was said, what you said in the report.
Speaker 5: I want to tell you what's going to happen, okay, And here is what you need to know. The hoa's responsibility is not decided by your insurance or their insurance.
Speaker 2: It's determined by.
Speaker 5: The bylaws and the interpretation of the bylaws, which may need a court ruling their insurance adjuster. If the insurance comes back and says the HOA is not responsible or we're not paying, it doesn't mean that they're not responsible. It means that is their opinion, just like your insurance is telling you in their opinion, it's the HOA. The reason they do that is to avoid paying. So you're in the middle of this battle. And the point I'm making to you is you must be defended by your insurance, whether you are liable or not. That's good news. Your insurance must defend you. And unfortunate, Lee, you may have to go through a lawsuit. You may have to have the mitigation company file suit against you for your insurance to kick in their liability.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I mean that might.
Speaker 5: But in the meantime, unfortunately, you may be reported as late payment. However, normally that should not happen if it wasn't determined. If that does happen where they try to report it to your credit report, you can dispute it based on the fact that it's in litigation. But this is the unfortunate part of it. Brian, did I miss anything or is that really it? The determination must be made by.
Speaker 11: The court agreed there, I say. The only thing, and I know you made a comment to this, Suzanne. The worst part of this to me is it sounds like you're the one that's signed the work order to have the mitigation done to your neighbor's unit.
Speaker 13: Is that right?
Speaker 11: Actually ordered that?
Speaker 6: Ye?
Speaker 11: So that yeah, that puts a little key thing because they haven't established anything yet yet. She put the request in like her hu Wa could say, well, we wouldn't have done this, we would have done it this way, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: They're always right.
Speaker 5: I get it, I get it, or how do we know it's the best price right?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 11: And I don't And your insurance isn't going to pay if you've made a bad decision. You know, that's that's not liability. I'm saying she's responsible. She's responsible. But and I know you know this, Susan, I really wish you wouldn't have signed a work order for something that you didn't know who was going to pay.
Speaker 6: For Me too, I was just trying to do the right thing, you know. It's thinking that he was certain that it was my all my faults. And actually she signed it as well. I made her sign it.
Speaker 5: But then wait a minute, wait a minute, you both you both signed it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but then she wrote on it not for payment on her part, so she was smart enough to say at least that, but yes, she signed it as well. I made her agree, you know, to sign and then I would sign too.
Speaker 5: You know, you may have to ask the mitigation company to do a a lawsuit to declare who's responsible.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 5: This sounds crazy, but you may just to get it over with. You may say to them, look and you tell your insurance that if you get sued, you expect them to Now, now, Brian, can her insurance company actually refuse to defend her.
Speaker 11: Well, here's the thing, Tom, is we're talking about two different things here. She's she's not being sued by her neighbor. She's being sued by because she signed a contract at that. Okay, you're right, So that's not going to be insurance.
Speaker 5: You're right, You're absolutely right. She's going to be sued for contract breach.
Speaker 11: Oh god, she almost has to take the offensive to go after the HLA.
Speaker 2: Is what I would think she should.
Speaker 5: Well, technically she could pay that and then sue the HOA. Maybe if it's eight grand, you sue for seventy five hundred in small claims court just to keep you know, they may try to go to a higher court. But even if they do, they technically once you file in small claims court have to keep relaxed rules of evidence that might help you, or you hire an attorney, Suzanne, But I think Brian's right. It's not your neighbor suing you. It's going to be the company suing you for payment. And when they sue you for payment, it's not going to be for liability. It's going to be for contract breach. So you have to somehow defend yourself. So the best way might be to pay that and then take the HOA to small claims court for seventy five hundred based on your bylaws and hope that adjudge she's.
Speaker 2: It your way.
Speaker 5: I mean, now immediately the HOA is going to hire an attorney and they're going to try to kick it to a higher court, which is fine, but you still have to.
Speaker 2: Show with relaxed rules of evidence.
Speaker 5: They're called because you filed first in small claims court. They can't just do a slapsuit against you. They can't penalize you for that.
Speaker 2: You can show.
Speaker 5: If you can clearly show in your HOA bylaws they're responsible, maybe a judge will order them to pay you the seventy five hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: That might be the way to go.
Speaker 5: That might be the way to go to do that, to really bring it to a head, because otherwise you're going to end up in trouble.
Speaker 2: Brian, I appreciate it again.
Speaker 5: Home of the Insurance Checkup three h three nine nine six nine thousand.
Speaker 2: By the way, did I do the fifteen or not?
Speaker 5: For help me out? I'm so sorry, Shannon. We have more coming right up. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, you're a troubleshooter.
Speaker 2: Three oh three seven to to three.
Speaker 5: Talk Jim has an issue with air conditioning.
Speaker 2: Jim, what's going on with you?
Speaker 13: Hi?
Speaker 24: Jim, thanks for take Hey, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, what's going on?
Speaker 13: I've got it.
Speaker 24: I've got a six thousand square foot house. It's a walkout rant, so it's a you know, one story with a walkout base. But and I can my air conditioner blows cold, but it can run twelve hours non stop and not get me down below seventy six degrees.
Speaker 2: Jim, we're getting this complaint.
Speaker 5: We're getting this complaint this summer because the extreme heat. Now, let me ask you, somebody, does it happen? Are you noticing it just with this extreme heat? Or has it always been this way?
Speaker 24: It's kind of always been this way. If I've got a lot of windows, and I'm just wondering whether I've actually got a big enough air conditioner for the house.
Speaker 23: What do you think You said you have about six thousand square feet and do you just have one air conditioner?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just have one.
Speaker 24: But but the basement is not you know, the basement always stays cool because it's you know, a walkout ranch. So I'm only trying to heat the upstairs.
Speaker 2: Flor well hold on, wait, wait, you said heat. You're meaning air now right, I'm sorry air?
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 5: May I asked you a question about Bob. Do you have vents in the in the in the basement. Yes, When you say you're only trying to cool Go ahead, No, I didn't.
Speaker 11: I take that back.
Speaker 24: I do not have the bedrooms pool area are not vented in the basement area.
Speaker 5: So your AC is only ducted to two floors, to one.
Speaker 24: Floor the upper floor.
Speaker 13: It's a you know, it's a ranch, so I don't.
Speaker 5: Have you have a six thousand square foot ranch on one floor six thousand feet or is it three.
Speaker 10: Thousand three and three three out?
Speaker 5: So really, then you're only trying to cool three thousand square feet?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 5: And is the downstairs the downstairs cut off to the upstairs.
Speaker 3: Heating wise or accessibility accessibility?
Speaker 2: Do you have doors that block it off?
Speaker 17: No?
Speaker 5: I do not, okay, And do you have windows? Is it a walkout basement?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 17: It is?
Speaker 2: Okay, go ahead, Yeah, I was.
Speaker 23: Just gonna you know, like we were talking about earlier, there's so many factors involved here. The best thing to do is get an expert out out there. But right now, what we're experiencing most manufacturers, and it doesn't you know, we're a carrier dealer. We we can do dyke in train, we can do anything. But carriers are number one manufacturer. But it doesn't matter who the manufacturer is they're gonna they're gonna tell you that their systems are really only designed to get to about twenty degrees below ambient temperature.
Speaker 2: So when no matter what.
Speaker 23: They are right, So when you have these extreme temperatures, the systems are gonna work overtime and do everything they can, but they may and especials.
Speaker 2: And especially if your home is not built right.
Speaker 23: Right, if it's if the system's not sized right, designed right, if your if your home isn't insulated properly, if you've got a lot of windows, all those factors that we were talking about the attic, then your problem is only gonna get worse.
Speaker 5: And you said something else. You said that the basement always stays cool.
Speaker 24: Yeah, yeah, a whole lot cooler than the upstairs.
Speaker 5: Well, a lot of the air is spilling downstairs.
Speaker 2: The cool air will drop and warm air will rise.
Speaker 5: Okay, And if your thermostat is in a place where it rises, you're you're always going to read a higher temperature. So so have you ever considered a whole house fan? And I'm not saying that's the panacea, but it certainly does help.
Speaker 24: Have you ever considered one the wife's considered them, but we had a We had one in our old house and I just hated the noise.
Speaker 2: Well, you're not going to get any noise with this one. I'll tell you. I have it on right now and I'm on the air.
Speaker 5: I want to ask something though, and that's why they call it quiet cool Again, I'm not I'm not trying to push a product. It really does work, now I did. I did notice something. I use it a lot, but when it's extremely hot out, even down here in the basement, it pulls in hot and it defeats itself.
Speaker 2: So you have to watch when you use it.
Speaker 5: You can use it a lot of the time even when it's apparently hot out, but when it's extremely hot out, it doesn't cool your house down.
Speaker 2: It brings the heat in.
Speaker 5: But it's still most of the time, eighty percent of the time fully usable either on low speed during the day, high speed mornings and nights, and it will definitely destratify your air. But there's something even more primary, And I put this post.
Speaker 2: On LinkedIn and on.
Speaker 5: Instagram and on YouTube, and it's all about the attic. Did you hear us talking about attic ventilation? I did, Yes, that is totally different. Than whole house ventilation if your attic does not have an independent ventilation system with properly spaced and sized vents. And by the way, eighty five percent of all roofs are underventilated under and it will put extreme pressure on your system.
Speaker 2: Extreme pressure.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, so Excel Roofing can check out your roof ventilation or or any well, you know, I don't know who else to call. I wish again, I wish our AC people did it. And I'm not pointing fingers saying they're bad people. I just wish they did because it defeats the very systems they're putting in. If they don't do that, in my opinion, if somebody came and did a brand new AC system for you and did not at least check your attic ventilation, they're asking for trouble. There's something else, Bob Bob Logan that I think you mentioned one time, called power venting.
Speaker 2: Does that ring a bell?
Speaker 5: Do you are there power vents that can move air better for some houses or are you no event fans in the vent or something that would boost airflow?
Speaker 10: Oh, you're you're talking about zoning systems with none.
Speaker 23: Necessary at least a boosting fans and the duct work, so you can you can do that. But really, again, if you have a if you have a well designed system and a and a good air handler, which your furnace can act as an air handler during the winter, during the summer as well, and it moves there properly.
Speaker 5: So again, even even when it's right, you're saying, on extreme heat like this, Bob, we're just gonna have some limitations.
Speaker 23: There are gonna be some limitations. And again that's where you know, I could do installation, and I'm looking at do an inlilation. But then you know, windows are a factor, you know, am I gonna.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's only so much.
Speaker 5: There's only so much you can do right, so and roofing and you know, all addicts everything.
Speaker 23: There's so much to take into consideration. But you know, we're happy to go out and take a look at your system if that's something you want us to do.
Speaker 5: You know, for sure, I would check first the attic, then I would check the system, and I would consider a whole house fan.
Speaker 2: Those are the three things I would do.
Speaker 5: You're not the only one with this issue, Jim Listen, I have a whole house fan, okay, And with this extreme heat. Now, I've never noticed it because I didn't have anyone here. My daughter's here now and she said, Dad, it is unbearable. So I have a remote control where I can see the thermost and bob my AC. This is again on the extreme hot days where I couldn't run this. Even at night, it didn't cool down.
Speaker 2: So the whole.
Speaker 5: House fan can't. They can't manufacture cool right. So it was seventy eight and that damn air conditioner ran all day and I was going to call you and seriously, and you were coming here today and say what should I do? And I know what you're going to say, Tom, There's not much you can do. So I have excelled checking my ventilation in the attic because I never really did check this house. And I was always bragging about how my whole house fan blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: And it really does work. I'm not dissing it.
Speaker 5: But even on the hottest days that can only bring in hot air.
Speaker 10: It does.
Speaker 23: And the other thing it does, Tom, which works against your system, is it brings humidity in your air. So keep in mind and air conditioning the system, the way it's designed is removing here here my house. Every time you open your windows and use that system, it brings humidity in and it's starting over. So for me, I I keep all my doors and windows closed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you most of the day, you would, especially on these.
Speaker 23: Days and on days like today, I can maintain comfortable temperatures.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so listen, go ahead.
Speaker 24: Sorry, hey, Bob, do you do you're with plumb line?
Speaker 11: Is that correct, Bob?
Speaker 10: Yes, sir?
Speaker 24: And then do you have people that would come out and look at my house and see if the air conditioner is enough?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 23: Absolutely, yeah. We do what it's called a load heat load calculation, so we do a complete design to make sure that you're sitting in size properly. And if you want to give Kelly your number off there or she can give you our information, call and say you were on the show, and I'll send somebody out there.
Speaker 2: No charge.
Speaker 23: We're pretty slammed right now because of the heat. We'll get out there.
Speaker 5: By the way, I'm running away behind. I got to take this break on Tom Martino more coming up. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel roofing dot com.
Speaker 16: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 5: Time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one. Help You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, your troubleshooter three O three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. Okay, So Andrew, what's going on with your twenty twenty one Mazda?
Speaker 13: So thank you for having me.
Speaker 21: By the way, my girlfriend me we bought a twenty twenty one Mazda thirty from the dealership in long month, and shortly after we bought it, it had a low engine light come on or low engine oil light come on. Yeah, so we took it to the dealership and apparently there's a not a recall. It's a TSB bulletin.
Speaker 5: Yeah, technical service bulletin. May I ask you something? When did you buy it?
Speaker 21: We bought it last year and I want to say may and.
Speaker 2: You bought it as is I suspect.
Speaker 21: Well, it was a certified pre owned and it had the warranty.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, got it.
Speaker 21: They got it ended the warranty because of this, okay, okay. When we took it into them in October. It's a valve seal or issue. So the oil is blowing through into the exhaustion right out, so it's losing oil.
Speaker 5: So the TSB was for a new valve cover gasket.
Speaker 21: It's the valve seals.
Speaker 5: Valve seals. Sure, No, that's more. That's way more involved. So would it cover would it cover it?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 21: So there was a class action lawsuit once we started to look into it, and apparently they're you know, if that low engine light comes on or that low oil light comes on, they are required to repair and replace the valve stains.
Speaker 5: Not necessarily, not Jim, not necessarily. Terms of class action suits are never that clear cut. There's usually a mileage limit, a number of owner limit, there's all kinds of limits. So I'm not disputing it, but I want to know, are you positive that the recall or the technical service below would cover you in that particular car at that particular time.
Speaker 21: Yes, and it did. We only had fourteen thousand miles on it.
Speaker 2: Excellent. We bought it excellent.
Speaker 21: So they fixed it in October excellent. Now a year later we get that same light issue. The same light came on and we took it to the mos To dealership here off of Colfax. They didn't have a loaner vehicle, so we weren't able to leave the vehicle.
Speaker 5: So after the after the manufacturer fixed it, how long did it last?
Speaker 21: Roughly like seven months?
Speaker 5: Okay, and then what happened the same thing after seven months?
Speaker 21: Yeah, the light came on before her oil her?
Speaker 2: No, but was it the same thing? Was it the valve seals again?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: And so are they going to redo them for you?
Speaker 21: Well, so they're giving us the run around, so we took them. We took the car to moz de McDonald in Littleton.
Speaker 2: All right, hold on one second, hold on, it's my own fault. I got behind here, but I'm going to finish up with you.
Speaker 5: Don't don't go away on, Tom Martine, go with a sure thing Denver's best rufer excel roofing dot com.
Speaker 16: You don't pay a cent until you're content, wait.
Speaker 5: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation in comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one.
Speaker 2: Help.
Speaker 5: You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: All right, let's uh, let's.
Speaker 5: Continue talking anyway, Andrew, Here's what I need to know, Andrew, where does it stand right now?
Speaker 2: How can we help you?
Speaker 21: So we took it to Mosda McDonald on in Little King because I didn't have any faith in the last dealership because you know, they've already fixed it once. And when we got there, they told us that they wanted us to take and do an oil change on the vehicle and drive it twelve hundred miles. Okay, so we've all been reading on the internet. What they'll do is they will overfill the oil by a court because they say in twelve hundred miles, if it goes down by less more than a quart of oil, then they will repair the salves them together.
Speaker 5: All right, hold on, we're gonna we're gonna look this up to and be right back to you and more calls coming up. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 16: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 5: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation Compared call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 25: Yeah, rid.
Speaker 1: News needed that. Who you don't have? Come running sious as fast as you can. Shooter's gonna help coming man, This is.
Speaker 4: The Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martine.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm Tom Martino.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the show brought to you by one Clear Choice.
Speaker 2: Garage Doors.
Speaker 5: The people that really and truly do a great job on garage doores twenty four to seven. If your door isn't closing right or opening right, get him out there now. If it's an emergency at night, they have twenty four to seven service. They also can help you with broken parts. They're one of the few companies that are truly approved for factory authorization on most doors one clear Choice doors dot Com all of their prices on their website seven two zero three seven zero thirty nine eighty seven one clear Choice stores dot Com.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go to the phones. Let's talk to you.
Speaker 5: If you noticed of your streaming Bob with me, Bob Logan from Plumbline Services, we were talking about plumbing, heating, cooling, electric trains, especially cooling. There are so many complaints. I'm getting more facts here. What do I do about this? What I do about that? They're all asking about upper floors, there really are. I'm gonna go to Tony, who has a question on this, and then we'll go back to this moz De problem.
Speaker 2: And then also we have a question on social security.
Speaker 5: Whatever is on your mind today, folks, give us a call three oh three seven one three talk. You can always call three oh three March you know as well, three oh three six two seven eight four sixty six. So, Tony, what is your question about attic and heating, heating and cooling.
Speaker 22: Yeah, so I got a new roof put on. It's got a ridge vent that was put on it. Good put the soft events. Uh, they haven't put soft events on it.
Speaker 13: The old saw.
Speaker 22: Before we put the roof on, there was no seff events originally.
Speaker 5: Well, my god, the ridge vent will do nothing without them, of course.
Speaker 22: Yeah, so they're going to install the soft events. Now, my question was, would there be any harm with me putting fans in the soft events that helped draw more of the outside air.
Speaker 5: You don't do it that way, but there's nothing wrong with drawing more outside air. What the way you do it is you put in the vents and then you put in a an attic fan, not a whole house fan, an attic fan. An attic fan goes on the roof and sucks air out of the attic and they're wonderful. I'm having one installed by Excel Roofing, and I'm having their solar stan put in that runs so it's not wired into the home. They drop it in, they they flash it and waterproof it and then it sits there. That's it, and it's constantly on and off. It's just all done by the sun.
Speaker 13: All right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's a great it's a great idea. Now, I would not put them in the soppits. That's not where to put them for the most efficiency. You put them at the uppermost hot hot part. And even though you have a ridge ven you may or may not need it, but it'll never Let's put it this way, it'll never hurt it. I seek right, Tony. I'm glad you're doing that. It's going to help a lot. Okay, So when we're going back to Andrew andrew A twenty twenty one miles to under extended warranty, they didn't do the job right a seven months later not extended warranty, I should say, a technical service bulletin and it was fixed under the manufacturer.
Speaker 2: But then seven months later, same problem.
Speaker 5: So where do we stand now It's at another dealer, and are they going to fix it?
Speaker 2: They should.
Speaker 21: Well, so what they're doing is they told us to bring it back after they'd changed the oil in twelve hundred miles, and they said that within tolerance, it has to lose at least a court of oil for them to be able to do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right, and that's unfortunately all manufacturers have that. It's it's a quarter of oil every thousand miles.
Speaker 2: That's what they call excessive.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 21: But we've read on the internet that what the dealerships will do to try and get around that is they will add an extra court to the motor.
Speaker 13: So before we.
Speaker 2: Left, well, well did they.
Speaker 21: Oil and it was a coot? Yeah, absolutely, they didn't. They even even pulled them out and they came and looked at it and they said, oh, yeah, no, it is a quart over and they took it back and drained it a quarter of oil. Again, good good, But I feel like they're trying to screw us.
Speaker 5: Well, you don't know that until you get your oil consumption back. I mean, if it's now filled to the proper level, and if it burns less than a quart in a thousand miles, whether you like it or not, that's the conditions you bought it under. That's the conditions and the owner's manual if it burns. And by the way, that's not just for that recall or that service bulletin. That's for everyone. I once had a friend who had a bunch of oil burned in four thousand miles and they said that what they call excessive is one court per thousand miles. Now, that is excessive, But that is what is in almost every owner's manual that they won't do any engine repairs un warranty unless they get more than that consumption. Now, I know what you're saying. You're saying that they they tried to get around it by adding oil.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you took.
Speaker 5: It out, so now you'd monitor your oil. I mean, did they fix it or not?
Speaker 2: Is the question? In other words, they haven't.
Speaker 5: Okay, So what are the symptoms right now?
Speaker 21: Well, the car runs fine. It's it's not a matter of the learning of the vehicle. It's just you know, the excessive oil that's being burned through the exhaust pile and has thirty eight thousand miles.
Speaker 2: On it right now, I get it. But first of all, those Masitas aren't good cars to begin with. So you bought it used. I'm not I'm not making excuses for them.
Speaker 5: I'm saying you bought it under certain conditions, man, and so it's used and they fixed it once. You're saying they didn't fix it adequately. Lee, the new dealer said, wait and see. So wait and see. What can I tell you the oil consumption? Have you monitored it since then?
Speaker 21: Well, so that's the thing is, we've always had the oil changes done at the dealership, and now you know we've always just kind of taken it for their work.
Speaker 2: But here's what you do.
Speaker 5: You don't if you have it, if you have your oil done, what every five or six thousand miles?
Speaker 2: When do you do your oil?
Speaker 21: About every five thousand miles?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: In five You can monitor your usage. You can monitor the dipstick before you take it to the dealer and if it's down more than a quart in one thousand miles, make a record of it.
Speaker 2: That dealer.
Speaker 5: That dealer has no reason to lie to you because that dealer will be paid by the manufacturer.
Speaker 21: Well, so they send us videos while the car was in the shop. They sent us videos that the service tech and in the video he goes over everything that they do to the vehicle and everything as far as the fluid levels that they pop off, and he claims and states in the video that prior to and after they did the oil change that the oil level was in between the two lines as per the manufacturer. But then when they gave it back to us, it was over a court full.
Speaker 5: But Tony, so, okay, so you still have to monitor it. Okay, you're gonna have to. I don't know what you want. They're not going to rebuild your engine. They're not going to put in new val siels. They just told you monitor it, so do it, drive it.
Speaker 2: One thousand miles and if it.
Speaker 5: Goes below a court then you know you got a problem.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: In other words, if it happened before, it'll happen again. I know what you feel like, Oh, I caught them in a lie. Okay, but I'm going to tell you something. They absolutely have no incentive to lie to you because the manufacturer under the TSB will.
Speaker 2: Pay them for the work.
Speaker 5: That they don't get a kudos from the manufacturer for screwing a customer. The manufacturer may not like paying for it, but the dealer likes getting paid for it. They don't care if you pay them or the manufacturer pays them. I think you're thinking that they're trying to plot against you. Now.
Speaker 2: Now, whether or not they.
Speaker 5: Overfilled it on purpose or it was a mistake, I don't really know. But I know this now that you know that monitor it and go to yet another dealer, but you monitor your own oil consumption to be absolutely sure you're getting the straight poop.
Speaker 21: You know, they put tamper proof tape on it or paints to make sure that we didn't pull the dipstick or drain the oil ourselves.
Speaker 5: Listen, Well, you're telling me that you're not allowed to check your oil.
Speaker 21: Basically, yeah, they want us to bring it back to them at twelve hundred miles.
Speaker 5: Well take it back at twelve hundred miles and insist on being there when they pull the dipstick.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean, why not just say?
Speaker 21: I guess My question was like, you know, I guess I don't have any proof of them doing this prior to this, but it just kind of seems to me that they're just trying to shuffle it under the rug and not really get to the real issue of the car.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, I know exactly what you're saying.
Speaker 5: You're saying you don't trust them, and I'm telling you now you can monitor it. Look at you might be right, Well, what it's only going to be another twelve hundred miles.
Speaker 2: Why is that so difficult for you?
Speaker 21: I mean, I guess I just don't, like you said, I don't trust them.
Speaker 5: But you're going to be monitoring it now along with them, right.
Speaker 21: But what I'm saying is, I guess I don't even know if they did the repair in the first place back in October, they could have just told me that, okay, they're just filling it over and oil.
Speaker 2: Here's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Even if they didn't do the repair, if in twelve hundred miles or one thousand miles or whatever, if you're down let like hardly any you're fine. If you're down more than a court, then you know you need more repairs. I can only say this. I'm not going to say it one more time. I agree with your distrust. Now monitor it for yourself and even go to another Maza dealer.
Speaker 2: I don't care.
Speaker 5: I mean, go wherever and and you know, but monitor it for yourself and see at the end of they said take it back in twelve hundred, and they said if it's down more than a quart, they're going to do it for you.
Speaker 21: Right they say that, yes, then.
Speaker 16: Let's do it.
Speaker 5: You're in on it now. And how stupid would it be if they said, no, you're not allowed to look when we check the oil. Of course they will. If they say that till you call me, I swear to God, we'll send someone down there with you. But don't assume that they're trying to screw you. They get paid from the manufacturer. Okay, after five times, can't say it anymore? Three oh three seven one three eight two five five again agree with them? Monitor it three? Now I said it six times? Shall I say it seven? Let me say it seven? Monitor it for twelve hundred miles and be a witness to it. Then you know if they're lying to you or not. We have more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 2: I'm Tom Martino.
Speaker 5: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 16: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 5: Time for an insurance checkup free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance. Three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: Hi, Tom Martino, is.
Speaker 5: Your troubleshooter three oh three seven one three talk seven one three A two five five B has a question about Social Security?
Speaker 2: Go ahead, be what's happening.
Speaker 7: Hi, Hi, I am curious. I was told to find out if my ex bouts can get social security from me, and he is at retirement age already collecting social security, but she said, you may want to check and see.
Speaker 18: If he can collect your social security. And the human being is because she would get more from me.
Speaker 2: That's possible.
Speaker 5: Now, the way it works is this, whoever's married to who doesn't matter, or whoever's married to whom. Here's the thing. Here are the conditions. The marriage must have lasted ten years, and to get full benefit, they have to be a full retirement age their retirement age, right, and then he is and you must be unmarried, so you can't be remarried.
Speaker 2: Is he remarried?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: Okay, Therefore, if they're entitled to social security anyway, they've been married ten years to you and then divorced, they're not remarried. They can apply for the spouse's retirement. Now what they get is half of that spouse's full retirement.
Speaker 2: Okay, half of it.
Speaker 5: Now, if it turns out that your social security or the social security he's getting is less than your half, then the way it technically works, he still gets his, and then he gets a supplemental check for the difference between his up to your half.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense?
Speaker 14: It does?
Speaker 5: Now, if he makes more than your half, he gets nothing.
Speaker 18: Okay, I got you. Should we still check into that though, that's.
Speaker 1: Up to him.
Speaker 5: I mean that it's not gonna been. You're very kind to worry about that. Let me ask you something. What is your benefit? Your full benefit? How much is it?
Speaker 2: Now? By the way, when you figure.
Speaker 5: Your full benefit, you got to add back in the premium you're paying for Part A and Part B of Medicare.
Speaker 18: It's like twenty three or twenty five. I've got to look at it.
Speaker 2: Let's say it's twenty five.
Speaker 5: Let's say it's twenty five, and then you subtract from that. You're subtracting from that your Part A and Part B of medicare, right, because that's yeah. So the only point I'm trying to make is you don't net the social Security payment. It's your gross Social Security payment before any deductions.
Speaker 2: You divide that in two.
Speaker 5: So if it's twenty five hundred, half of that would be twelve fifty. So does he get twelve to fifty a month on his own?
Speaker 18: Yeah, he gets more than that.
Speaker 2: Then he's not going to be eligible. But make sure what I want to I mean, yeah, I will, and then so.
Speaker 5: Because you want to help him if it's possible, right right, Okay, Well that's nice of you.
Speaker 2: That's the way you do it. So you would just fill out. In fact, there's a form that does it for you.
Speaker 5: If you fill it out for spousal benefits, it'll ask all those questions, how old are you, what are what is her benefit or his benefit?
Speaker 2: What is your benefit? Blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 5: So b thanks and again, as I said, it's very kind. Okay, three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five. I got a question for Bob Logan on again. We're talking about heating and air and somebody asks, when.
Speaker 2: You keep the fan on all the time, does that use a lot of electricity?
Speaker 5: You're saying with an HVAC system, it's not a bad idea to keep air circulating, not just having it on auto.
Speaker 2: Does it use a lot of electric or are they efficient? Hold on thereic here you go, bar, Yeah.
Speaker 23: They're super efficient. You probably won't even notice the difference on your electrical build. Just a couple bucks a month okay. So, and the other benefit of that in equalizing the temperatures from the floors and the rooms, is that it continually filters your air, so you'll get better indoor air quality. And so on that note, I just want to say one more thing. The number one call we get during this time is clogged air filters.
Speaker 2: Now, how do they know they're clogged or they don't? Then you discover it.
Speaker 23: We discover it, right They call us because they're air conditioner or the furnace in the winter is not working. We go out there and they got a clogged air filter. So make sure you're changing those, especially with the fires and the pallens that we've lately. If you haven't changed it in thirty days, it's probably time to change it again. And so if you can, you know, hold it up to a light and if it has any discoloration, you should be changing it.
Speaker 5: And you like those wispy filters that led a lot of air through, right I do.
Speaker 23: I use kind of a medium grade so you can get you can get those high density filters for allergies, but especially during the summer. So a furnace or an air conditioner system needs airflow. It needs airflow to function properly, and more so during the summer your air conditioning system. That's where a lot of people get their their systems freezing up because they're not getting proper airflow, and so changing those out regularly is they're so inexpensive?
Speaker 13: You know?
Speaker 23: Yeah, an air filter is you know, six eight ten bucks, and I change mine every thirty days.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, So that's Plumbline Services our guest today. Plumbline Services dot com. Three h three five eight six ten eighty six is our number, is their number? Our number is three oh three Martino three oh three.
Speaker 2: Six two seven eight four sixty six.
Speaker 5: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 16: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 5: Wait time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two Hi Tom Martino, you're troubleshooter three oh three seven.
Speaker 2: One three talk Hey Mike? How are you? And Mike? How can we help you?
Speaker 13: Hey? Tom? I Over the years, I'm sure I've heard the story about what I should be doing. But we had hail damage to a car and took it in and got an estimate for thirteen thousand dollars. The insurance company said fine, and it's been in the shop for about a week. Apparently no work was done. But at any rate, today we got a call from the insurance company that they are totaling the car.
Speaker 5: Well, I would say when you said thirteen grand, I would say, wow, that seems appropriate, because unless that car is a lot of money, what is the car worth?
Speaker 13: Well, it's a twenty twelve Actorate MDX.
Speaker 2: And what is the value with that?
Speaker 13: Well, they claim it's nine or ten thousand trade in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and okay, what they have to do they not trade and they have to give you what's called replacement value on an automobile policy.
Speaker 2: So you have to argue a little with them on that.
Speaker 5: I don't know what it is, but I don't I don't know if they're high or low.
Speaker 2: They're always low in the beginning.
Speaker 5: But it so they're saying it was worth that that the repairs are more than the than the actual car.
Speaker 2: Why did they wait so long to tell you that?
Speaker 13: Exactly? I don't know that you have.
Speaker 5: Thirteen thousand inhale damage? Yes, okay, so what is it? Let's look up this car? I mean, I don't know what it's worked.
Speaker 2: Did you look it up? Did you? You know?
Speaker 5: Nowadays with the with the damn Internet, you can look up anything, right, So did you look it up?
Speaker 13: You know? I figured I need to talk to Tom about that because I know there's ways around this, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, there's no hold on. There's no way around actual value. Value is value? Is value?
Speaker 23: Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it just a straight MDX?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Okay, So let me look at what they're selling for. How many miles on it? One hundred, one hundred and it's a twenty twelve right, yes?
Speaker 17: H huh.
Speaker 5: Okay, most likely I'm trying to find out here twenty twelve these people are. I think they're a little low, but let me let me make sure, me like sure, I want to see what they're Okay, yeah, they.
Speaker 2: Seem to be really low. No, No, there's different ones.
Speaker 5: Depending on the mile. It's okay, see a twenty twelve for example, I'm trying to find one with your miles on it? About one hundred and twelve thousand? Did you say? Or what one hundred and something thousand?
Speaker 13: Right?
Speaker 2: One hundred thousand?
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, well i'm seeing here it's probably that's probably pretty accurate. They're about yeah, they're about ten to thirteen thousand, depending on for the Do you know what engine you have?
Speaker 2: Is it the three point seven?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that's about right. Bro, that's about right, about ten grand.
Speaker 2: Ok So they're right.
Speaker 5: They're not going to pay thirteen to repair a ten thousand dollars bait. What they have to do is give you average retail along with sales tax.
Speaker 13: Okay, retail as a opposed to trade.
Speaker 5: In that's right, replacements not trade in, that's right.
Speaker 2: Why are they quoting you trade in?
Speaker 13: Well?
Speaker 2: What did they wait? What did they say was? What did they say was trade in value? What was it again? They said it was worth.
Speaker 13: Like seventy dollars.
Speaker 5: Well, that's retail. So even though they're calling it trade in, that's about retail. That's what I'm seeing here because average retail.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't. Here's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 5: You add sales tax to that, and you know it sucks. Now you can keep it, you know, but you'll have to buy it back from them unless you don't. Let is it really heavily damaged?
Speaker 13: Well, no, it's got these little dings that you can't see unless you look at it in the sunlight.
Speaker 2: So let me in this.
Speaker 5: Are you really keep the car?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 6: And no.
Speaker 13: The wife has been wanting to trade it in for something new, and uh, you know, then you end up with a car that you're going to get repaired, and then you're not going to get it repaired. So we're kind of bouncing around like a.
Speaker 5: Okay, listen, if you were going to trade it in any way, then you're right in that you're then just take the money and trade and pay it. I mean you're not, You're at it. You're at no loss here, Okay. I mean I think there're being what's the name of your insurance company.
Speaker 13: It's through Triple A and they write for a bunch of different companies. I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: By the way, you can always call petty detail.
Speaker 5: Deputy Chopper told me that they're on referral Liss dot com and uh so petty details on our referral list. We'll give you a good they'll do a free service for you on evaluation of that car, and if you ever have to do a dispute, then you pay three to five hundred bucks or something and they act as you're expert. I don't think you're gonna have to go that far. Just call them for their free service and see what they say it's worth.
Speaker 2: Okay, but I.
Speaker 5: Think you're right in the ballpark. What kind of car are you looking at?
Speaker 13: Well, we have a Tesla so we oh man, hold.
Speaker 5: On, hold on, I was going to suggest you get a.
Speaker 2: Tesla Model three.
Speaker 5: They're a great deal right now and they're a great dependable car.
Speaker 13: Well, there you go. We have a we have an X.
Speaker 17: So you like the X.
Speaker 2: Do you like the X?
Speaker 17: Not me?
Speaker 5: No, she does so man, Yeah, the Model three is a really good bargain right now.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I like that car. We had one before we had the X.
Speaker 2: And also cars too. He is really good cars man, kis.
Speaker 13: So you know it's what are you talking about? Electric?
Speaker 5: Well, they have a good electric and they have good cars just gasoline cars.
Speaker 2: Are you looking to go to electric?
Speaker 25: Though?
Speaker 5: If you are, then I would stick with Tesla. I would personally stick with Tesla, although they you know, Kia and Hyundai both make really nice electric cars too.
Speaker 14: I got to chip into I love my new Hyundai.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was gonna yeah, I was thinking of you.
Speaker 5: You're you're you have the Corna the oh yeah, the Cone very very reasonably.
Speaker 14: Priced and it just it's a great car to drive.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 13: Okay.
Speaker 26: And by the way, before tax, the out the door price before tax and title was only twenty seven.
Speaker 13: I won't tell you what that X cost is.
Speaker 2: How much? How much?
Speaker 13: Oh it was ninety five thousand? Oh?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 5: And that isn't that the one with the weird doors? Yep, that's what you're paying for sexy.
Speaker 13: Yep.
Speaker 2: It's a nice it's a nice for sure. It's an it's a nice one. Okay.
Speaker 5: So anyway, at least you got what you were looking for the price. I think they're treating you fairly. I'm Tom Martine. We have more coming up.
Speaker 17: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three O three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: Hi, Tom Martino, who are a trouble?
Speaker 5: Three seven on three talks seven one three eight two five five. Randy wants to talk about selling a car. Randy, Am I reading this correctly?
Speaker 1: Bro?
Speaker 2: You have a nineteen ninety four Geo Metro.
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Yeah, how many miles are?
Speaker 25: But it's a good one and nine But at eighty thousand miles. We did a full service on the engine, did everything I needed, timing, belt gaskets, took the head off, kicked the valves everything.
Speaker 5: I was going to make a joke and tell you to drive it off a cliff, but it really is worth more than I thought. What do you think it's worth?
Speaker 25: I only want to sell it for twelve hundred bucks, you know.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, let me just let me say this. Who's ever listening? That is such a screaming deal. I can't believe it. How is the body?
Speaker 13: The body?
Speaker 25: The hood is dented in a little bit, but all the lights work. The driver Corny's an ex terrier door handle and within the next year is going to need a radiator and an electric fan.
Speaker 2: Now why do you say within a year?
Speaker 25: Because the fins in between the cores are starting to come out.
Speaker 5: Where can we get parts for this thing? I'm thinking about my Venezuela and friends. And again, I know there's a lot of going on about helping immigrants, but I'm talking about helping immigrants who help themselves.
Speaker 25: So it has brand new tires on it. The car is really in good condition for the age. You know it the hood dent it in, but the rest of the body's good. It has really dark tinted windows because it does not have AC but some erasing cells. Universal air conditioning unit that you can put in any car with an electric pump for four hundred and forty dollars. And I was going to put in it because I.
Speaker 17: Was going to drive it.
Speaker 2: But then how does that work? When you put it in any car?
Speaker 5: You mean you hook it to the existing heating and air system or does this sit free in the car or.
Speaker 25: What it sits free in the car, and it's really in an air conditioner. It mounts underneath to dash. You put the hoses through the engine firewall. Yeah, put the pump in there and hook it up to the battery battery and the battery runs the compressor you charged it up with free on.
Speaker 5: Come on, man, what a great idea. And you know I love Summit racing. How did you find out about them?
Speaker 25: Like I said, I was going to drive it, and I'm I'm six one, two hundred and sixty five pounds and I can't stand over eighty degrees. I swept my butt off.
Speaker 2: How long have you had this car?
Speaker 25: I've had it about two months now. Like I said, I just got it for me and I was gonna I know the owner that owned to the last four years. So the card in really good shape.
Speaker 5: Leave your name in the nine Okay, no matter what, twelve hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: Hell, even if you put a thousand into this one. You know, I'm gonna tell you. Coming up the.
Speaker 25: New radiator and fan, it's seventy eight dollars on Amazon.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna tell you, man, I'm going to tell you what they sell for coming up.
Speaker 2: I'm Tom Martine.
Speaker 5: Get your calls in three O three seven one three eight two five five. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 16: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 5: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two oh with.
Speaker 1: News so you don't have come running just as fast as we can. Shooter's gonna help.
Speaker 15: Come man, this is.
Speaker 4: The trouble Shooter Show. No Tom Martino.
Speaker 5: Hey, I'm Tom Martino, your trouble shooter. Want to buy a ninety four piece of crap? Mea a geometro.
Speaker 2: I'm just kidding. Some guy called looking to sell a car.
Speaker 5: Randy, and I said, Randy, you're not gonna believe, but these are worth I misread it.
Speaker 2: It was the MSRP.
Speaker 5: I was reading seventy four hundred bucks that when they sold brand new in nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 2: He's got a ninety four metro. But I don't mean it's a piece of junk. It's not.
Speaker 5: He says it runs okay, and he's done the timing and all that stuff, and it doesn't have air. The front hood is dented, and he wants about twelve hundred four. What I'm seeing online is about that's about that's high.
Speaker 2: And then in.
Speaker 5: I had condition there about you know, two to five hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: So anyway you got it.
Speaker 5: You got to make up your own mind right nowadays to get any.
Speaker 2: Car that runs for twelve hundred and.
Speaker 5: Randy, you still there. He's looking to sell it. Are you still there?
Speaker 2: Randy?
Speaker 25: Yeah, I'm still here, all right.
Speaker 2: So you bought it? Did you buy it for yourself?
Speaker 5: And then did you buy it for yourself and decide you didn't want it or what?
Speaker 25: So this is what happened. I had a ninety nine dods Ram. It was a cling truck and the throttle got stuck wide open and shared the breaks. Long story. Truck almost killed me. So I needed a car. A friend of mine had this car. You had it for four years. Did all that work to it, put brand new tires on it. Ten at the windows, you know, redid the engine. He redd the whole top end of the engine except for the block because the rings were Okay, it had eighty thousand miles whenever he bought it, so in the last four years it's had twenty nine thousand miles put on it.
Speaker 5: But are you here that's original miles because everyone I'm seeing here has like two hundred thousand miles.
Speaker 25: Man, I guarantee it's originally I just my friend gave it to me after that happened to my truck and told me, you know, give me twelve hundred bucks for it. And not having a car and needing a car, I was like, okay, well.
Speaker 2: Here are some I'm finding some. I'm finding some.
Speaker 5: For sale with no body damage whatsoever and in relatively good condition, a little more miles one hundred and fifty thousand miles for about fourteen hundred bucks. Look at I'm not here to who cares twelve hundred and fourteen hundred thousand. I mean, all I'm saying is is I don't know if it's a fair price or not. All I'm saying is is that any car running is worth something. This one does have air in it though for fourteen hundred, No it doesn't.
Speaker 21: Wait a minute, no, no, that the one does come with air.
Speaker 25: You know they have like they have like thirty six horse paps of three cylinder engine. If yeah, the motor, you're gonna get like twenty miles of the gallon and you're not gonna be able to get out of your own way.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 25: Because I found the car that had her conditioning, I was going to take everything off of it and put it in this car because it was cheaper than four hundred and forty bucks.
Speaker 5: But then I have a funny story about Geometros when they were brand new. I have a funny story about Geometros when they were brand new. I my mom was an older one, well really older. I mean she had me at forty three, so she was getting older and she wanted a car, another car, and I wanted to buy her brand new cars.
Speaker 2: I bought her brand new.
Speaker 5: Metro and I had it and I took it to her and she refused it.
Speaker 25: She said, my second one.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: Anyway, it was funny story. So I had to get her alumina at the time. Do you remember those that was a nicer car. Listen, So if we hear from anyone who wants to buy that for two twelve hundred bucks, what the hell right, we'll.
Speaker 25: Let I can I can knock the din out of the hood so it looks better, and I'll order the outside door handle for the driver's side.
Speaker 5: So yeah, whatever I mean, if we if we hear somebody, if we hear somebody who wants it, we can talk about it.
Speaker 2: But I appreciate you calling. Again.
Speaker 5: I've been helping some immigrant families who have jobs get cars and helping them to get on their feet, and uh, I'm going to think about this one for that.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 5: You know, they they they're utilizing these cars to get to work.
Speaker 2: So it's something. But if anybody else wants it, give us a call.
Speaker 5: We uh, we're not we're not exactly a trade radio show, but it's fun. Every once in a while when people ask as something unusual, they call me and say, hey, do you know where I can get rid of this?
Speaker 2: So that's it. Thank you for calling.
Speaker 5: Three all three, seven, one, three eight, two five five A ninety four.
Speaker 27: So that's ninety four, twenty four and fourteen. It's thirty years old, thirty year old car. Wow, thirty year old car. But man, that you can get an eighty four?
Speaker 5: You can you can get forty let's say fifty to seventy for fifty year upon right. Yeah, if you got my car that I got out of high school, I would be more.
Speaker 2: Than fifty years old. What did you What was your first car? Bob Logan with plumb Line Services. What was your first car?
Speaker 23: My first car was a Monte Carlo that half the trunk was ripped. It was my sister's car and she got reranded by a dump truck, so so I got to buy it for salvage.
Speaker 5: My I inherited my mom's Pontiac Catalina and it was a piece of crap.
Speaker 2: It was gold. Pontiac Catalina was my very first car ever.
Speaker 26: Hey, Tom, mine too. I had a nineteen fifty six Pontiac vertible. Shows you how old I am?
Speaker 2: Did you buy? Was it new or what? Oh?
Speaker 26: No, it was it was used. But it costs me like a hundred bucks in those days.
Speaker 2: So I had to I forget what year that was.
Speaker 5: It was a it was when she was done with it, you know, Pottiac Catalina she had from new, but it was really old by the time I got it, and didn't last that much longer. But yeah, Pontiac Catalina, I'll never forget that. But I've owned such crazy cars in my time. One of the most crazy cars I've ever owned was.
Speaker 2: A SOB three cylinder.
Speaker 5: I think it was was a weird like either two or three cylinders.
Speaker 2: The SOB, the old SOB.
Speaker 5: And that was the first time I ever got ripped off, not buying it but selling it.
Speaker 14: It sounds to me like a SOB story.
Speaker 5: Tom oh fuck good one answer that, well, I gotta admit that one. That's the first time he's ever come up with. Here's what happened. I thought the transmission was failing on this SOB and it was slipping and all that. So I found a guy that wanted to buy it, and he was a mechanic, and I thought, he doesn't notice this transmission, you know. I mean, I didn't hide it. I just didn't tell him. I think I thought its slipping and at the time was in pretty good shape.
Speaker 2: It really was.
Speaker 5: I bought it for all right, and it's a cute little car. And then he bought it for six hundred bucks and he said, and then he as soon as he paid me, and he got the bill salely.
Speaker 2: So oh and under here is a lever.
Speaker 5: He went under the dash and it disengages the transmission.
Speaker 2: They used to do that when they were coasting the hills.
Speaker 5: I guess where it was from, so he said, And it was half in and half out. He says, I bet you thought I was buying a bad transmission.
Speaker 2: And he drove away. The car was in perfect condition.
Speaker 10: So you said he screwed you, but you were not screwed.
Speaker 2: I wasn't trying to screw him.
Speaker 5: I just wasn't volunteering everything, and he knew exactly.
Speaker 2: What was what was up with that.
Speaker 5: I also had a Honda six hundred sedan or six hundred. It was the first time they imported these Hondas. I'm not talking about like Honda's you know and love, I'm talking about Hondas with a motorcycle engine, right, And they called it a six hundred because it was a Honda six hundred cc engine.
Speaker 2: And I'll never forget this. I bought it.
Speaker 5: Brand new for eighteen hundred ninety five dollars when I was in college. I bought it to have a It was my first new car ever, and it was. And it was a tiny little car. It fit for people, you know, two in the front, two in the back. And I drove from college in Miami to New York. I went for spring break, I went the opposite, I went back home.
Speaker 2: To visit, and I drove.
Speaker 5: I swear to God from that back then in college, I drove from Miami to New York.
Speaker 2: And I spent ten dollars in gas.
Speaker 5: Can you imagine that? Ten dollars? And so I forget what I was paying for gant was getting. It got forty no excuse me, fifty to sixty miles a gallon, and it got it did it got like fifty miles a gallon? And I think what was a gallon? I guess seventy five cents maybe maybe I don't know, but whatever it was, I would have to do the math. But I remember about ten bucks in gas did not include tolls.
Speaker 2: I might have spent more in tolls than I did in gas.
Speaker 5: But that would be good for car Day to talk about your first car or some of the more unusual cars you've ever owned.
Speaker 23: And uh, I had a great what Dotson two ten station wagon Dotson dots in twos.
Speaker 2: The precursor to the Nissan, right, the Dotson.
Speaker 23: Yes, it was a it was two tone blue and rust. But for seven hundred bucks when I had two kids. So it did me well for a couple of years.
Speaker 5: Stephanie years ago had now this is before I knew her. She had at home in Arizona. She had Remember those pacers, Yes, they looked ugly as hell.
Speaker 2: They looked like little bubbles.
Speaker 5: She had a Pacer with a Southwest design, you remember the Southwest like whatever they are the Southwest seats.
Speaker 2: And it was orange.
Speaker 10: Oh that's horrible orange.
Speaker 2: I think she said.
Speaker 5: It was like a pacer. Yeah, that has to be the most ugly car ever made.
Speaker 2: What else?
Speaker 5: Now, I've had some pretty chute cool cars, but my craziest cars, yeah, that would be. That would be pretty crazy. The SOB was about the most.
Speaker 2: I had an MG tom Oh, No, I had an MG. Well, I borrowed an MBA.
Speaker 26: When I was a kid and I had my license suspended for thirty days and I didn't want to tell my future in laws, so I told them that the call broke down and they had to send to England for the parts.
Speaker 17: Geez.
Speaker 2: My sister had a little NG that I borrowed, and they were fun.
Speaker 5: They well, the ones that I this one was like the ones that looked like those little old fashioned cars. They were the qu'est cars in the world. The MG's were the coolest little cars. And once they boxed up and got that stupid ugly look, but those rounded fenders in the way they were, or those grills that looked like.
Speaker 2: The tiny Bentleys. That was when the MG was so cool.
Speaker 5: And she had one of those, and that was the coolest car I've ever saw in my life. But they never I have never met an MG that ran. That was the problem.
Speaker 1: Never.
Speaker 2: I never never could see one that would run well.
Speaker 5: Everyone was always stranded with them.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 5: We got more coming up on The Troubleshooter Show three O three seven to one three A two five five Go with a sure thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven one help You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi, Tom Marks, you know you're troubleshooter three all three seven to one three talks seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 2: Randy, Go ahead, Randy, what's going on? Randy? Go ahead? Sir?
Speaker 13: Okay, thank you, Aery.
Speaker 2: I can't yes, sir, go ahead.
Speaker 13: I heard you talking about Randy to tell you what?
Speaker 25: Yes, Sir, I wanted to tell you what I got after that Deo Metro.
Speaker 2: What did you get?
Speaker 25: Eighty six Camaro with seventy nine thousand miles one owner in immaculate conditions?
Speaker 2: God? Where did you?
Speaker 5: Where did you find an eighty six Camaro with that many miles on it?
Speaker 13: Just lucky? I guess, like, I don't know.
Speaker 25: I owned an app and it was the second.
Speaker 13: Car on there.
Speaker 2: How much was it?
Speaker 13: What do you think it's worth?
Speaker 2: God? I'm trying to think. I'm I'm it has there.
Speaker 25: Talking, it has air conditioning, it's the V six unfortunately, but oh well that that cuts meres It does cut the value.
Speaker 2: But I don't know what is it?
Speaker 13: Where you're I've been told eight to.
Speaker 2: Ten grand, oh easily?
Speaker 25: Yeah, yeah, I paid fifteen dollars and traded a powerwasher.
Speaker 2: Are you always looking for weird deals? Is that your thing?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 25: I liked I liked one owner cars. All my cars for the last U sevent eight years has been one owners and they last me really, really well. I had a two thousand and two GMC Sierra with four hundred thousand miles on it. I drove it eighty miles every day, never overheated, never left me stranded. That was the best vehicle I've ever owned.
Speaker 13: In a drunk driver rear into.
Speaker 17: Me in it. Oh, I lost that truck.
Speaker 2: You know, Brandy, you know what I like?
Speaker 5: I like when I hear the stories about someone who finds some kind of find in a garage or in a barn where or a disgruntled this urban legend about this disgruntled woman who whose husband you know, she's getting divorced and she sells his uh ferrari or something. No, I don't think any of that's ever true, but I love hearing about deals.
Speaker 2: That kimaroized deal. How many miles were on it? Did you say?
Speaker 25: Seventy nine and sixty seven.
Speaker 2: See that specificity. That guy's really telling the truth.
Speaker 25: And in two thousand and five it had seventy six thousand miles tune up an oil change with a sticker put on underneath the hood at seventy six thousand miles. God, we got it from the original owner. She died, her son sold it.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for calling man, I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five Bob, this Texas for you. Is there any secret check to getting high pressure in low pressure shower head? Can you do something to get pressure there?
Speaker 13: Like?
Speaker 5: Do they make shower heads that increased pressure? It doesn't increase pressure, does it. It probably restricts flow and makes an appearance of pressure.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's exactly what they do.
Speaker 2: But are they aerated or something?
Speaker 10: But yeah, you can go and get different shower heads. It'll help out with that.
Speaker 5: What about increasing he said, like, can you do like pressure a circuit? He's not saying circuit, he says, get high pressure to there without the whole house?
Speaker 2: Is there?
Speaker 10: Not that I'm aware of that?
Speaker 2: They don't make pressure tanks for parts of the house. Yea, No, not that I'm aware. Can you increase pressure in your home? You can Is it not wise? Is it not allowed?
Speaker 10: What do you do again?
Speaker 23: All new construction has a pressure regulating vowve. All old homes that didn't have one should have one.
Speaker 5: Now, now when you have one, If you don't have one, what's the city feed you?
Speaker 2: Well, where systems feed you.
Speaker 10: It's going to fluctuate. And typically, I mean I don't really know.
Speaker 23: You're maybe one hundred and twenty, one hundred and thirty, maybe one hundred and fifty during the summer because you're going to increase the pressure. What you're saying, we should have them on our homes, we should have them on our homes. And if they if they exceed seventy five psi, then then the pressure regulating valve isn't working. And so you can, you can reduce the pressure or raise the pressure, but if it gets above that, then the pressure regulating valve has failed. And a lot of people like high pressure. I mean I like it in a shower for example. Everybody likes high pressure. But that's what damages your system. It's like it's like having high blood pressure. Your body can sustain it for a little while, yeah, but then things are going to start failing.
Speaker 2: Okay, and then we have a question.
Speaker 5: Does auto insurance cover private owned vehicles working for door Dash or Amazon deliveries. The answer is yes if you tell them about it, but you have to pay for it. But normally these places have insurance that will cover you when you're on the clock or on the app, so you have your own and then this one kicks in when you're on the.
Speaker 2: App app, so ask about those.
Speaker 5: And then somebody asked about a shove are installed all the time, families with small children need them.
Speaker 2: Oh oh oh, he said.
Speaker 5: Tub showers are installed still all the time. See I talk against him. I think they're the ugliest things in the world, the kind you step over, the regular showers, the curtain, or those the ugly diffused doors. But they're saying people with kids they want a place to bathe.
Speaker 2: And it or hot soak in the winter.
Speaker 5: Except I think truly, he says, I use my tub to store water when our Vada shut off the water for a day for repairs. A lot of us use use water in a tub or use tubs. Here's the thing I believe. I believe they're useless, these tub showers. I say, get a shower and get a tub. I mean in a newer home. That's what they're mostly doing. The combinations are ugly. Oh, if you have a room, if you have the room, right, But if no, I know, obviously small all our homes need it. Here's tom I called bs on. Manufacturers don't pay the same amount of money for warranty repair. Oh okay, I said, don't distrust the dealer if you need warranty work, to talk you out of it because they get paid anyway.
Speaker 2: And this guy says, I called bs I.
Speaker 5: Know, manufacturers don't pay the same for warranty repairs as a customer would. But you see, this wasn't the case. They're not trying to get the customer to pay for it.
Speaker 2: They're trying. What they were trying to say is you don't need the work.
Speaker 5: So I don't think they were trying to screw this guy because they weren't trying to get him to pay for it. The manufacturer would have paid for it on recall, but they said he didn't need it. And I said, the only reason they would say that because they believe it, because they would get paid from the manufacturer. I wasn't saying that, or maybe I did say an error that the manufacturer pays them for the repair the same amount as a consumer.
Speaker 2: I don't think they do.
Speaker 5: If I said that I was wrong, I wasn't insinuating that. What I'm insinuating is whether the dealer does it or not, they will get paid by the manufacturer for warranty work.
Speaker 2: I have a question for plumbline for Bob. My Parker home has a raised floor basement.
Speaker 5: The floor is three quarter inch plywood and about two feet of dirt underneath, and there are pipes four inch diameter that come through the basement from outside. One just terminates a foot above the basement floor.
Speaker 2: I think these are those four inch Those are drains, right, okay?
Speaker 5: And it terminates above the basement floor. That's for a rough in a toilet. I think he said four inches aren't okay. Hold on, but he says to go to the plywood floor into a two foot dirt area.
Speaker 2: Three goes into.
Speaker 5: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies. Find out now three all three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, you're a troubleshooter. Three O three seven to one three talk Very Active show three oh three seven one three eight two five five MHO eight time on one of my YouTube war and says, I get eighty pounds uh EIGHTPSI for water in Denver.
Speaker 2: I got a shower head from Denver.
Speaker 5: Water that puts out a very nice high pressure spray for free.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 23: You can actually quest those, I believe, and they'll send you one for free, one per household, and they.
Speaker 5: Do cut restrict they'll flow a little to get that pressure flow.
Speaker 10: But there they're right that because I got.
Speaker 2: One and they're pretty good.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they're really good.
Speaker 2: Am I on Denver Water here? I don't know, I'm not. I'm on Cherry Creek something that's south.
Speaker 23: I actually lived in Highland's Ranche when I got mine, so I can.
Speaker 2: Just probably buy one anyway.
Speaker 5: He said, he tried to find it on Denver water site. He'll see if there's a model number. Yeah, thanks, get me a model number and a brand. I'll bet you Amazon has them. But you said the ones that offered a softened water with that cartridge, that doesn't really work on the showerhead, right.
Speaker 23: I don't see how it's going to soften the water. Yeah, you know it's it's going to remove sediment and minerals possibly, but which might might help. But it certainly isn't going to soften the water.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: Now, so the inline fan in these four inch pipes sound much like a mitigation for it, says, Can I add a four inch inline for the incoming floor pipe to generate more airflow into that raised area above the dirt or will this cause air balance issues? I can't see why they would want to do that though. Why you would want to bring in more air? I I don't get it.
Speaker 2: Is it to make it cooler? Is that what he wants to do?
Speaker 5: Can I add a four inch inline for the incoming floor pipe incoming to generate more airflow into that raised area above the dirt? But is that to keep don't I don't understand. Does it get really hot down there. Maybe is that what he's trying to do? Okay, anyway, you know, as far as it is a good point as far as air circulation and gen if you had a crawl space or a basement area, you need to keep that insulated from your house. If it's not if it's not heated or cool, you need to keep it insulated from the house. Really, you do shut off unless there are vents down there. Now, if there are vents down there and.
Speaker 2: It's unfinished, you really should close off those vents.
Speaker 10: Don't you think there are crawl spaces right that.
Speaker 2: We're no, Well, i'm talking about now, I'm talking about a basement.
Speaker 5: If you have an unfinished basement, Okay, in an unfinished basement that needs to be shut off if it's not heated or cool. Don't you think or I guess you could leave it open if it's cool in the summer.
Speaker 10: Right, you're talking about the vents now.
Speaker 5: No, I'm talking about the area itself, just a door leaning downstair.
Speaker 10: I would keep it on because again, if it's.
Speaker 2: We keep it on meaning what do you mean keep it on?
Speaker 13: Keep?
Speaker 10: Well, I mean i'd keep the doors open. If there's if there's.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, cool air down there.
Speaker 23: Right, If there's a returner, especially if there's a return air event down there, it's gonna pull that cool air.
Speaker 2: Back up there. And that's another thing. Furnaces have to breathe.
Speaker 5: I notice a lot of people store stuff sometimes in mechanical rooms that can choke down their system.
Speaker 10: Right, that can or a lot of times around your house.
Speaker 23: So typically the return error which pulls the air in is on your walls. Sometimes it's on your floor, but a lot of times people have.
Speaker 2: Went over there. Yeah, okay, were you behind that?
Speaker 5: Your couch shoved up against it is kind of some of it.
Speaker 2: But you're right, it's got to be open.
Speaker 23: Doesn't You need to pull it away from the wall a little bit so that your system can breathe.
Speaker 2: I got to turn that down. I agree with you on that. That is that is necessary.
Speaker 5: So return air are the greats you see about six inches above the floor, right, yep, six to eight inches above the floor, and their rectangle they don't look like a little vent like a heating vent. They look like a rectangle a grate. Correct, and you need to make sure they're clear. Those are return airs and sometimes when you guys go into check systems.
Speaker 2: You're getting a lot of calls now because of the heat.
Speaker 5: I'm do you get more calls for imbalance when it's heat or more calls when it's imbalanced in the cold?
Speaker 17: Uh?
Speaker 10: During air conditioning season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's when you notice how hot it is in a certain area. Okay, So in the times you check those, do you ever find there's just not enough air return?
Speaker 10: Quite often? Yes, especially if.
Speaker 2: But you can't just add a return air anywhere, can you?
Speaker 10: There are some Yeah, there are some things you can you can't add. You can add a return air, yes, what.
Speaker 2: You make one, but if there's not one up there in.
Speaker 23: For example, or increase the return air where it is is another one. Sometimes you can put a vent in above a door. You know, a lot of times people and children like, for whatever reason, it seems like the children's bedroom is always above the garage, which is always the hottest room in the house. And so because the kids don't need privacy necessary necessarily, you can put a vent in above the door to allow error that moves back and forth. Us they can sell their door closed, but eric will moved back and forth there. So there are some things you can do. But again, if you're having those issues, get an expert out, whether it's US or another reputable furnace and air conditioning company, and they can give you some suggestions.
Speaker 5: Alicia, what's going on with your sister real quick here and I'll take it after the break.
Speaker 2: What's going on? Let me get the right people on.
Speaker 15: She is evicted because we've been trying to pay her rent. She's in jail right now, and we've been trying to pay her rent and the manager is like avoiding us in every Do.
Speaker 2: You think she's being evicted?
Speaker 5: Do you think she's being evicted for lack of payment or that he just doesn't want her there because of the Does he know she's in jail?
Speaker 15: Yeah, and we've tried to contact her. She said that we needed to get normal to call. Well, she tried to call her and there's a block on there, so she can't call.
Speaker 2: Actually, believe it or not. Being in jail is not grounds for eviction.
Speaker 6: It's her boyfriend.
Speaker 15: She don't like her boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, does her boyfriend live.
Speaker 15: There too, No, he's been staying there to save the apartment for her and he's on way.
Speaker 2: She doesn't want him staying there.
Speaker 15: Yeah, she doesn't like him, okay.
Speaker 2: In other words, she wants him out of there. But is he on the lease?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 16: No, okay, hold.
Speaker 2: On, we'll come right back to you. I'm Tom Martino.
Speaker 5: Hold on, Alicia will come right back to you on the Troubleshooter Show. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best rufer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three O three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to listen your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, you're troubleshooter. Okay, So Alicia your sister. How long has she been in jail by the way, three months?
Speaker 2: Okay? When will she be out?
Speaker 15: I don't know. They keep canceling gourt in Texas if they only have it once a month and they get canceled it too much.
Speaker 5: And is her lease here in Colorado? Yes, okay, here's what I want to tell you. If she when is the lease up?
Speaker 15: It's I don't know when it's up, I really don't. I just know that she wrote a letter giving permission to put Chad onto the lease her boyfriend.
Speaker 5: Oh, so what is the issue now? Is your sister being evicted right now?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 2: What is That's the reason for the eviction.
Speaker 15: Non payment of rent?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: Well, that's a good reason. That's one of the few reasons they can now get rid of people. So non payment of rent, and.
Speaker 2: What she instructed you to do was to pay the rent yep? Okay.
Speaker 5: On the non payment of rent? How many months are we talking?
Speaker 15: Three?
Speaker 2: Do you have the money to make it?
Speaker 15: Yes?
Speaker 17: Sir?
Speaker 2: What stage is the eviction in right now?
Speaker 15: It's already went to court. The judge did give say, tell Chad that it's up to the manager at this point whether okay?
Speaker 4: So they did not?
Speaker 2: Okay? When you went to court the hearing, who was there? Was he there? Chad? The boyfriend there?
Speaker 21: Yes, sir?
Speaker 2: Were you there?
Speaker 17: No?
Speaker 2: Did Chad offer to make full payment at that time?
Speaker 11: Yep?
Speaker 2: And the judge refused.
Speaker 15: No, So he said it was up to the management.
Speaker 2: That's well.
Speaker 5: Then the judge refused to say they had to take it. In other words, the judge said they can decide whether or.
Speaker 2: Not to take the payment.
Speaker 17: Yes first.
Speaker 5: In other words, they could proceed with the eviction if they wanted to. Yep, there must have been a reason for that. Do you know why the judge would have said that, were they see, we need to investigate this, because normally that would cure it. And I don't understand why they're not allowing them to cure it. So hold on, Kaschina. Let's get her on with Brad O'Brien if we can tomorrow and get a copy of the lease if we can.
Speaker 2: If not, we'll still get her on.
Speaker 5: By the way, plumb line services when they're not here, plumbline Services dot com three oh three, five eight six ten eighty six three oh three Martino to save all your problems for me.
Speaker 1: See me