Speaker 1: He'll be don't be bare. It's the Internet. You're busy. Let's do this for November sixth, twenty twenty four. For the next hour or so, let me help you sort through the world of gaming on Game Mess Mornings Live with Me Jeff Grubb. Today, Nintendo has confirmed a much requested feature for the Switch to But first, please join me in welcoming today's co host to Game Mess Mornings. It's Jason Finale. Everybody, Jason, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: I am fine, but we're not going to talk about why. I'm going to talk about gaming.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, we'll just say, hey, it sucks. I'm embarrassed. I am mostly embarrassed that people can be fooled by such a loser again. I'm embarrassed to look at the women in my life, the trans people in my life. I'm embarrassed to talk to my friends that live in Eastern Europe and the Ukraine.
Speaker 2: How do we explain this?
Speaker 1: It's it's inexplicable because the excuses are are just not there. And they you know, the people that vote for this want us to be miserable. They do, and there are a lot of real reasons to be miserable. There are a lot of stuff could hurt a lot of people I care about very deeply. But we're gonna we're gonna try. Like me and Jason we're talking before the show started, we're gonna try to be a respite. We're gonna try to be a place where you can come. You're not gonna forget about this. How do you forget about these kinds of things. It's it's your entire life, it's there constantly. But we're gonna be a place where, at least we're not going to try to contribute to that misery. We're going to try to do to do our best here to make you feel good, make you feel happy, talk about stuff you care about in a passionate way, and when when bad things happen and it's too much, maybe come here and we'll do our best to just hang out and be cool. Does that sound like something we can do, Jason.
Speaker 2: God damn right, it does. And I didn't know if you wanted to address it, So that's why I was being coy. But to be completely honest, as as the chat has said a couple of times, shit's fucked. It's just it just is. And I you're talking about your friends, you're talking about the women and the trans folks, and I agree with you one hundred percent with that. I had trouble looking at my own daughters.
Speaker 1: Yep, this morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's rough, And because because my my eight year old, the older one started showing an interest, started showing what what what is voting? How does it work? What does Explaining the electoral college to her was a nightmare because I couldn't do it right. It's the whole other story that doesn't even matter in this regard now. But but she started to show that interest, and now I'm afraid to cultivate that interest because of what then I then have to explain to our it just it it kills me. But I again, I completely echo your sentiment that we have a response, We have a responsibility as goofball news reciters, that we are to be goofballs and give you news and talk about it in our own special way. When you gave me the choice between Wednesday and Friday to come on, I picked Wednesday, not realizing Yeah, yeah, but I'm glad I'm here because if I could put some smiles on some faces in this chat with my mispronunciations of skibd or whatever the hell it is, I am happy to do it, or just showing the hat. There's the hat there. It is beautiful. So if I can be, if I can be a little ray of sunshine on what's going to be a very cloudy day, week, month, four years for a lot of people, off we go.
Speaker 1: Yep, I think we can confirm that the United States of America doesn't definitely have that skibd ohio raise Zach. It's a terminal condition and there's nothing we can do. Yeah, yeah, Hey, we'll do our best. It's not gonna be perfect. I you know, we're gonna maybe maybe make jokes where things are serious, and we're gonna it's it's not gonna be perfect, but I do deeply care about you people listening to this, Uh right, and we're gonna do our best.
Speaker 2: So uh you know, let's let's start with something good now that I have the chance. Please over forty five thousand dollars raised through extra life for the team. You absolute goofballs. Yeah, what a what an amazing eighteen hours that was.
Speaker 1: You go, there's the mullet, everybody there, you go, I'm getting rid of this thing soon. I'm almost just like went this morning and got rid of it.
Speaker 2: But genuine question over under the amount of words your wife has said to you since you came up with that mullet.
Speaker 1: Ten, it's not it's definitely like I was like, I'm gonna go get a haircut. He's like, won't you be embarrassed to I go like, all right, well listen, you don't have the whole back children the key. Yeah, and my kids, my children were like, I kind of like it. Hell yeah, it's very funny, cool, but yeah, hey, I'm deeply proud of what we did for Extra Life. It was a fun time. Forty five dollars. We'll do it again next year again, looking forward to it. Let's explain what we do here most weekdays, I, Jeff Grub, will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on twitch welcome, You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game mess Mornings, or find the RSS on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with PS five Pro reviews are out our own two more Hussein wrote review over there on game Spot. He said powerful on paper, but ordinary in action. Essentially, I think the first assessment most people had is where tam ended up with the system itself. Now I know that, like, there's a lot of people who do have this thing, and they're looking at it. When they're like comparing it or trying to, like look at some games that really take advantage of things like Horizon, they're like, no, you know what, this does look better? And I do think it's noticeable, But is it like noticeable to the tune of an extra seven hundred dollars or I suppose if you trade in your PS five an extra three fifty and extra four hundred dollars. And I think the you know, at least at now, from the games that our take advantage of the PS five Pro, the fifty to fifty five games that do so, the answer is probably not really not It's not worth it in this moment for most people, unless you are the most enthusiastic of enthusiasts.
Speaker 2: Yes, I I appreciated TAM's review from the perspective of the layman, right, the normal human being, who is just am I upgrading this? Or am I good with my current PS five? Because that's how I and I assume, I mean, you and I have more knowledge than most, but we're not like digital foundry knowledge right right, like that, which is a whole other thing we can get to in a second. But I sort of not having tried it for myself, if I ever get the chance, I expect to be like, Wow, this looks much better, but it's not different enough to justify that added cost, which seems to be yes of the reviews that I read this morning where things are landing. Although I tried to look at digital foundriies but it disappeared. I don't know what's going on there, that their review was taken down, that it was copy struck or whatever the hell happened, but that hopefully they'll be able to dig into the more technical side of it. But at the moment, powerfron paper ordinary inaction. I expected to see it and be like, oh, yeah, I noticed a differences, but nothing to make me want to jump in. So I'm not surprised by these reviews really at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's just that's where gaming is at right now, That's where console gaming is at, gaming across the board sort of. You know, I think every time the systems come up, I've pointed out that the thing I've noticed is the thing holding back games is no longer the hardware. It is now time and money. And now you have more powerful hardware. So technically it's even more time and even more money required to take advantage of fresh, new, more powerful systems. So and that's not happening. You know, games aren't getting bigger budgets now just because there's new hardware outs.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and I saw that I agree with you there. And I saw some analysis, so a thread on X or something I was reading. Maybe this was a review that I can't remember exactly where it was, and if it was, you please show yourself. PS four Pro had a much bigger impact when it launched, because at the time the PS four was creaking under its own way with the amount of games that were available for it. Backwards compatibility had just come to it, and it was a noticeable improvement. That sort of situation is not happening here because the amount of especially in the first party, the amount of games just isn't there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the amount of games, and the the PS five itself is a much different piece than the PS four was. Where the PS five they treated with love and care and thought it could have could be a success. When they launched the PS four, they were not sure, so they put you know, you know, a netbook CPU in there, and they really limited the amount of investment they made into the GPU. It's a it was a you know, the whole console generation was rough. They were both pretty bad consoles, the Xbox One and the PS four. So the PS four Pro and the Xbox one X were very welcome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And and that sort of iterative jump isn't quite needed yet at this stage of the game, if it's ever needed at all. So the fact that they're trying to go back to this well and it ultimately isn't doing much more than as Tam puts, it, a luxury item for tech enthusiasts. That's not surprising to me that it's not going to be I mean, it'll probably still sell because it's PlayStation and some people are just tech enthusiasts who have to be at the top of the line. But will I be surprised if Sony's like, it's not doing as well as I hope? No, I won't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what that was actually gonna be. My next question is like, Okay, whatever the reviews, how the thing actually performs, maybe doesn't matter so much. Like the reality on the ground is people want shiny new things. Are enough people are going to buy this shiny new thing, And I think the combination of the price and the perceived quality of the base PS five as we've come to call it, is kind of those things are going to combine to create a situation where maybe I think a few fewer people actually end up getting the PS five relative or PS five pro relatives to the PS four PRO. So I think the final sort of split that Sony points to is that about ten eleven percent one in five people who purchased the PS four of any kind purchased the PS four pro and it probably will end up in the same like range here, But I won't be surprised if that number is actually like eight percent, nine percent, just a little bit lower. Sorry started talking about percentage points and I got a PTSD from yesterday. But yeah, it's exactly, but hey, that's their problem, not ours. And frankly, you know, even my problem is do I let myself get convinced to end up buying this thing when I'm sitting here now and thinking I don't need this. I really don't, so I don't know that could happen to me. Still, I am a sucker. I've planned that a bunch of times. I do like shiny new things, so there's still that possibility. But seven hundred dollars is a big enough sticker shock that so far it has been enough to scare me off.
Speaker 2: Yep, same, I am perfectly capable with my base level PS five and my curved monitor. Here, I'm finally playing through Rebirth, and I don't think I'm missing anything by the graphical improvements of the pro give. I can play Rebirth just fine and get what I want, which is a very confusing when is this going to actually go somewhere? Story? But I am enjoying it, but like that, the graphics won't fix that.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, just play Rebirth and you know, of course that's one of the games that apparently takes massive advantage of the PSI pro and I guess that's relatively speaking as well, because it's that was the one that we had a little bit of a blur when you played it in the performance mode to it. So they fixed that up and most of their games don't have that issue. So that's why it's a a bigger improvement. All right, let's get into a whole batch of Nintendo news. Nintendo did drop their earnings report earlier this week. There's been sort of more out of that. The CEO has come out a couple of times and expanded on a few things. I think they did end up having their Q and A with investors. They usually have that the day after, and that's happened now. So let's start here with for a, Kawa getting out on social media and confirming a new feature or a requested feature for the Switch to switch to will be backwards compatible with the switch. Nintendo has fully confirmed. Now this is from Jordan Miller at VEGC, and I see someone highlighting the headlines. Now, I think Sean has a yeah, there we go.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Sean appreciate that. So now we have headlines again. All right, switch too, We'll be backwards compatible. We'll switch Nintendo, confirms Jordan Miller VGC Nintendo's confirmed that the successor of the Nintendo Switch will be backward compatible with the Nintendo Switch, and a post on Twitter a message from Nintendo President Shintaro for Okawa also announced that further information about the successor to the Nintendo Switch would come at a later day. I'll just I'll read the message you posted. This is for a kala, which is how they always start their stuff. I love it. At today. At today's Corporate Management Policy briefing, we announced that Nintendo Switch software will also will also be playable on the successor to the Nintendo Switch. Nintendo Switch Online will be available on the successor to the Nintendo Switch as well. Further information about the successor to the Nintendo Switch, including its compatibility with the Nintendo Switch, will be announced at a later date. So jas, let me ask you. Do you read this as full compatibility across the board? No? With no exceptions?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would include physical mea right? I mean else, how else are you supposed to take that? I feel like Nintendo is a company that's comfortable enough to have made the distinction if it was just digital downloads versus digital and physical. They just say it's backwards compatible on the successful successor to the switch, which tells me that they're either to keep the cartridge format that they have now, or they've included two slots yep, kind of like how three DS and uh or yeah, three DS right, that's a lot on topic.
Speaker 1: Yes, and the DS had a Game Boy Advanced slot on the bottom is something like that. The thing I remember most three DS we used might be actually how they actually end up doing it, which I think there was one slot, but there's like a little tab on the side of three DS games. Could I could be mixing this up, but I think that's how. It's just a little almost imperceptible tab and that would prevent you from putting those games in a DS. But you could put DS games in a three DS and and gotten it. That's probably how this is going to go down the the There's been some advancements in the kind of flash memory that Nintendo game puts on for their game cards they use, uh, and you know it's not it's still not as cheap or or readily accessible as like a CD or something like that, or DVD or a Blu Ray even uh, but it's there's been advancements there. They're they're more storage, so they should be able to have much bigger games this time around, which will be a requirement. But in doing that, they will probably have to have a new format, but it could look very similar to the Switch format as it stands. So yeah, I think one side of it, like you mentioned, physical digital all should just work. That's kind of what they're implying here. The other side of it is and I think this is not like a huge surprise to anybody, but like there's motion control games that need a joy Con to work. So this system is probably going to be a lot like the Switch one, which we were already assuming, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that prototype had come out the last time we were here, with a doc look like Home Store Runner and the magnetic the magnetic Joey cons on either side, So that makes sense. I mean, I fully expected it to be more of an iteration in form factor and have all the improvements be under the hood. What I am curious about is two things. One will the will the kortridge just taste the same?
Speaker 1: Oh, and I bet they'll taste even worse.
Speaker 2: And two I'm being told to emphasize by showing which cartridge I just want to make sure I say that right, I.
Speaker 1: Was gonna let it go. I was gonna let it go. I was gonna be like, I'm gonna be, uh the bigger man and not make a point of it. They're not cartridges, everybody. They're game cards. Cartries imply that they become like part of the system instead of just holding memory. They're just game media like CDs. How dare you Sean?
Speaker 2: But yes, old man, yells Alas, I.
Speaker 1: Was trying not to be that man. I was trying, but get leave it up to Sean to just presh the button. Yeah, game card, cartridge, whatever, it's all the same.
Speaker 2: Uh we have this weekend. You're the smaller man.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right, that's definitely true. Uh yeah, I'm the thing that I'm like still curious about, is okay. So, like the first couple of sentences say like what we were what works back to even kind of broke those down. But then they're like, there will be more information about how this works. This compatibility works with the switch one to switch to. Does that make you believe that maybe there's more to this, like improved performance from some switch games automatically on switch to Do you think that that's maybe what they're implying here or is it something less than that.
Speaker 2: I don't think Nintendo gives a crap about stuff like that. I think the switch cards cards are going to work the way the switch cards work, and then the new six switch switch successor cards with the little notch or whatever the form factor is going to, you know, perform another way it. Maybe maybe you'll get a better battery life out of the switch one games because they're not using as much of the that's good point more powerful internal hardware, so they get more gameplay on the go. But other than that, no, I as soon as you said the notch in the three DS exactly, well, I think it's gonna go down now just as similar as it could be without being too different. Now, that also runs into a we use scenario where it might if the name is not different enough, then the look of it won't help either. So hopefully it's not just called switch to, it's something different enough that they don't add that extra layer of confusion, right, especially if everything's going to be as similar as we think it will with the leak thought from the last time I was on Plus now this backwards compatibility conjecture that we're doing here that I think is the last big pitfall with switch to the actual naming of it. If it's different enough, I think they won't fall into that. We you think again, But I.
Speaker 1: Mean the easiest way to avoid that is just called a switch to. Right. If it's a switch to, everyone who buys stuff understands what that means. It works, It's worked for the PlayStation without fail so far. And if you're going to be the most conservative version of Nintendo and hope to avoid that, that that that's the answer. I think, true. I do like switch advanced, though, I'm sure yeah. I mean, Nintendo's been able to pull it off before, so it's not like I don't think they would shy away. For if they feel like they have a name that sounds really good and works really well, I think they'll they'll do it. But if that's their biggest concern, switched to is the easiest way to avoid that. So sure, you know, and I think there's no way it doesn't have the switch name though, right, It's definitely an.
Speaker 2: Absolutely has to, yes, has to, if only for a familiarity of those who are not familiar with games alone.
Speaker 1: Yep, I think, uh, the you know, last thing on this point is, you know, so if games do get some improvement, though, like maybe not automatic, because they we know that they were according to the reporting showing off an improved version of Breath of the Wild to some developers at like games Com the year before, the year prior, not this past games come, but the year prior maybe or maybe it was this that one. It's all conflated in my head. But so it's like one of the big things with this system is right, no, those games can run better. Do you think the possibility here is that the thing that the change that they might talk about at a future date could be and here's how that works. And some of these games will have ten dollars upgrades things like that.
Speaker 2: I think they might have seen the ten dollars upgrade model from Sony and like what they're seeing there, like if you own the cart and you can just verify it, or if you have the digital license, you just pay an extra small fee. I don't know. They might not even go the full ten bucks. They might try and be different and go five nine to nine or something a little more you know, marketing friendly, just to say, hey, you can turn this on for a quick upgrade for this one time fee if you already own the game. Yahda YadA YadA. Also too, though the enhanced version of Breath of the Wild could just be from as we were talking about earlier, the internal hardware just being better, right like if it's not if it's if it's if the battery life is better, or whatever we were talking about. It could just be naturally happening on an enhanced version of the console. That again, these companies do like making money, so the one time fee for the expanded version a la Sony does make the most sense from a business standpoint. But whether or not they do that.
Speaker 1: And then here's the scenario where it's like they might be including that caveat there at the end or that addendum because maybe there's maybe it's more complex than what we're thinking. Maybe there's just a switch inside of the switch to maybe like because you know the switch to hardware, while it will be similar to the switch one, it's not like one to one, like just everything that works on the switch to or it will switch one would just work on the switch to. Naturally, they had to do some work here. It's possible that the work that they did is here's just to switch one in there. Now, that's unlikely, I think because one of the things that they emphasized Nintendo did in their earnings report is how important these games are, these game purchases are to the continued success of Nintendo. Of like, people feel like they're in the ecosystem. People have subscribed to Nintendo Switch online, the games that the that they purchased are now tied to their Nintendo Switch account or their Nintendo account, and we want all that stuff to carry forward. And that only works if they've sort of solved a way to play these games in perpetuity beyond the switch to. But it's still possible they just put a switch one inside of the switch to and in that situation it would be like, oh no, Yeah, those games just go in there and they work just like they're running on the switch one. But if you do want a enhanced version of like Breath of the Wild, we're going to sell that to you again as a switch to version. That sounds kind of like Nintendo to me at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this switch seption version that you've come in, Yeah, this switch switch inside your switch. Yeah, the Russian mistroke is switch or whatever. Yeah, damn it, Jeff, Yeah, how did you have to say that, because that makes perfect just.
Speaker 1: I could see them doing that just by Nintendo be like, well, that would save us money. Actually, I don't know how much much money would save them in the long rand to put a switch aside every switch to but it'll be easier maybe than like solving the technical problems now, and then it still creates this opportunity to be like, and here is the enhanced version of all of those Switch games. And we know you all complained about the way they ran on that system, so we know that you have a craving for these games running at a higher frame rate and a higher resolution, And now we can do that.
Speaker 2: We'll see played right into their heads.
Speaker 1: Jeff, Yeah, we'll see. I would probably buy a version of Breath the Wild that ran at sixty frames per second. It would be guilty to do. Hey, Speaking of enhancements, though Nintendo Switch Online data miners have discovered four K resolution options and support for mesh shaders. We'll get into what that means here in a second, but a data miner on social media platform Blue Sky's discovered that the latest version of the Nintendo Switch Online play test program has added support for both mess shaders and four K resolution. The discovery has inevitably led to speculation about the next console from Nintendo, which is set to be revealed sometime this financial year, which ends the thirty first of March twenty twenty five. Now, the tenn to Switch online play test program is that you know, weird game that I'm in. I can't talk about really, but you've probably seen some stuff online here or there. It definitely seems like something that they're testing now to like carry over into the switch to. I wish they would just put it out because you know, I'm sorry not to new, but I had fun. I would like to keep playing it. It's over now, at least my understanding should be over to. I don't know if they extended it or anything, but hey, four K resolution, four K output resolution is probably what we're expecting here, right. The game renders internally ten eighty outputs at four K for your TV, so it just like looks nice and they don't have to you don't have to rely on the TVs upscaling. That's probably what that means, right.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, if it's the switch or even the switch to even the switch too, yeah yeap, Yeah, what else? What else is you don't really have an option other than that explain, like I'm five mesh shaders, right, I think. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So mess shaters is a new graphics rendering pipeline. It's a new way of just presenting graphics on your screen, newish, and it's something I think that Nvidia has been pushing. I think it's primarily available. It's available in many of the graphics libraries like the direct X and Vulcan, but Nvidia's sort of like pioneered it there. So that's probably one of the reasons why I switch to is getting it maybe pretty early. What it does is there is a geometry shaders, and then there are there's other shaders, and these things happen one and then and then the other happens, and mess shads put them together and can intelligently know which one it needs in any one moment. So basically what it boils down to is it's way more efficient and can improve a performance in many games. One game so far that I'm aware of is taking advantage of mess shaters actually uses it, and that is Alan Wake two. Alan Wake two uses mess shads, so like it's probably gonna be used in a lot more games going forward. But this is good news for a lot of developers who might be considering this sort of thing because now you know the Switch two can handle that and it's very good for performance. That's my general understanding. I'm no expert.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's alan Wake two was also mentioned by Seoan in the chats as a game, and if they can make alan Wake two look that good, like like a Switch game, make us look as good as alan Wake two or at least close to that, sign me up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, but like photo realsules are going to be a lot easier with something like mess shaders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, four K resolution, stuff like that, top of the line graphics processing makes sense for something, especially with we've been waiting so long for Switch to to be revealed in a certain capacity. So the fact that they're exploring these options that all make sense to me.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, I mean again, like their partnership with Video Yeah, like that is the kind of thing that will lead to situations like this where in videos like look, Nintendo, we're working together for the long haul, Like when we first announced this deal, we said it was gonna be twenty years, like, so we're gonna be as we make new technologies, we are going to be thinking about ways that you can use it. And when you have a new console, we're gonna have a menu of options for you to select from of can we get this into the switch too, And we're gonna work. We're gonna do our best to make sure that that is possible. So when we're building you your your custom chip that is, you know, necessarily less powerful than a lot of other stuff, maybe it still has all of the access to the most powerful features, so that you can get the best case scenario from that less powerful chip. So you know, I'm I'm excited from that perspective, you know, And then out putting at four K is kind of table stakes. We knew that was gonna be the thing. If a single game runs natively at four K on the switch to I will I think I will like maybe eat a half or something. I will be surprised if that is the case, especially if it just took off, yes, the one I just took off. Especially because you know, they're very very likely we'll have DSS, so there'll be less of a reason for games to run at four K in the first place. So we'll see, all right, let's take a quick break when we get back plenty more to talk about from these Nintendo earnings. We'll talk about that right after this. All right, let's get into it. Like I said, more Nintendo News, Nintendo Switch Online has thirty four million subscribers. This is from my Nintendo News. Nintendo's latest financial report had a lot of interesting data. However, there was one thing in the report that may surprise you. You see, around this time every year, Nintendo likes to provide an update about how successful Nintendo Switch Online is, so it isn't surprising that Nintendo did the very same thing with this financial report. According to Nintendo, there are now over thirty four million users that are paying for a Nintendo Switch Online subscription as of September thirty, twenty twenty four. Ask for more details on this, all Nintendo says is that although we did observe a year over year decrease in membership, partly due to fewer new releases in the past year focusing on online play, many people continue to enjoy on Nintendo Switch Online.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think this is kind of like, Okay, this is where these sorts of services settle right in the thirty million to fifty million range and they bounce up and down. I think PlayStation Plus is one that goes around like forty two to forty five million, and every once in a while I have an increase, then it drops back down for a few quarters in a row. Things like that. So Nintendo Switch Online a system that doesn't have you know, Call of Duty for example, that pushes a lot of people to get these subscription services so they can play games online onto console. This is pretty good for Nintendo Switch. Now. Obviously there are a lot of games that people do like playing online on Nintendo Switch, but it's it's just not the obvious. It's like, oh, well, I'm going to play Call of Duty. I need this. It is I want to play Mario Party online with a friend, Mario Mario Kart, Super Smash Brothers, things like that. But this is the new way of doing things. Nintendo did talk about how important it is to have a subscription service like this and Nintendo accounts because they expect this transition from Nintendo Switch to Nintendo Switched to in part driven by backward compatibility, to be the smoothest one they've ever had. They called that out explicitly about how each new console generation they sort of had to reset the clock down to zero and rebuild up the people they could sell games to, and now they expect that to be completely different, and with thirty four million subscribers, that should be exactly the case, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, And if that's where it's settling after the heyday of Super Smash Brothers, which was probably one of their biggest online contributors outside of Mario Kart, which I would like to say Mario Kart at day is over, but it's not. The game just continues to sell beyond all logic and reasons. So if it's going to settle at thirty four million and you're going to have that built in on the cusp of a new console, yes, they have to feel like they're sitting pretty. And also too, the fact that the people opting for the higher tier is also steadily increasing is a great sign as well. If they continue to add more things to that expansion pack to make it more valuable in the eyes of the consumer, you might see the entire subscription base rise. So because people might want to subscribe to online and then look at the two options and think, well, there's enough here that I can just bypass the original and just go straight into the expansion pass. It's not necessarily people who are already online and upgrading, you know what I mean. So I think they're in a very good spot here as far as their online base, which is it? And my memory is like, it's not lost on me. How weird it is to say that Nintendo's in a good place with online subscribers, Yes, because it has always been a very back burner sort of deal for them. They seem to care now, which is nice. If only the games ran a little better, But that's hopefully the switch too. We'll fix that problem. But the fact, I mean, the fact that the company that has treated online is like a thing that goes with their games, not the selling point of the games is almost at forty million ors, you know, north of thirty million subscribers. It's wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's clearly they see the business case for it. Clearly. They see the benefits it has to the continuation, the continuity of revenue coming in from a certain subset of gamers, and they love that. So they have slowly started to have to like, all right, we do have to make improvements to justify this and keep people in our ecosystem. And they've mostly you know, they've done that. Now you know they revamped their online network. You know, has that really manifested in any game so far? Not to my knowledge, maybe in like the recent Mario Party or stuff like that. It hasn't made that much of a difference so far. But you know the promise is there, and then you know the promise for them is also. You know, Call of Duty is coming to the switch the nintend or Microsoft promised it would. So at that point, maybe you do get a situation where you know it's probably not going to be the primary place that anyone plays Call of Duty, but maybe you get like you know, a million two million new subscribers to switch online from people who do want to play Call of Duty online on their switch, and uh yeah, and you have that. Now you have the infrastructure there and ready to go to take advantage of that.
Speaker 2: And if they can, if they can somehow utilize like hotspot technology and make Call of Duty run on the switch as a cheaper option than say a like a portable PC or or Android streaming like the Razor Edge, then that's another avenue they could explore too. That might be a little more advanced for the younger crowd, but for people who are playing Call of Duty. It's something. Yeah, I mean if you're sitting on the if you're sitting on the bus and you can connect to your hotspot and getting match Call of Duty and while you're driving, that might appeel with a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, the advantage that Nintendo has over like a Steam Deck is Switch is locked down and so the you know, Call Duty developers can just implement their anti cheat stuff and they know that the cheating is you know, maybe least likely to come from a Nintendo Switch audience at least you know, Nintendo Switch to audience even more so because that will be more secure than the Switch one. So yeah, I think that they'll they'll be able to get those games without the worry that the anticheat has broken. So we're just gonna stop putting games out on or putting them out as compatible with the Steam Deck, which is something that's happened a couple of times now, and for a handful of games they're like, we're never putting out a Steam Deck version because of the anti cheat stuff. So yeah, there's it could still have a place in the market or something like that. But in the meantime, when I look at Nintendo Switch Online and the reasons I have it. I think I mostly have it because it's cheap enough to justify, but like as a an impulse purchase, like fifty dollars a year for Nintendo's Switch Online Expansion Pack. You know, it's significantly cheaper than any of the other options. You know, more than less than half the cost of a year's subscription to might be like listen a third of the cost of like the PlayStation plus premium service that I got the other day. So yeah, it's just kind of easy to justify it. But if Nintendo's trying to grow it, you know, they just put out the music app as one of the things, like like, hey, this is part of Nintendo Switch Online. If you have a membership, now you can use this app and listen to music. I don't think that's growing it, but it maybe helps people justify keeping it, ortens the deal, sweetens the deal, right, Maybe it helps people convince themselves to pick up the service here or there. But I don't think it's a huge difference. You know, that said beyond like big third party games a dropping, are there features they could add to Nintendo Switch Online to grow it?
Speaker 2: I mean you have to expand the what they call it, but like Nintendo Super Nintendo.
Speaker 1: They just called it took the Switch online, like Nintendo's six four and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they would have to add maybe other consoles if they can figure out the GameCube, I think that would be a bit of a boon, or even some of their other handhelds. I don't know how you would do DS on the switch. Maybe turn it sideways and have one side of the screen be the touch screen and the other side. That probably be the most logical way to do it.
Speaker 1: One of my hopes for the switch too, is because of the magnetic connectors, maybe you can flip the switch screen sideways and if there's magnetic connectors on the top of the bottom so you get a vertical screen like in Tate mode, that would rule.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be awesome.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a great I hope some of that. I doubt it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the more deal sweeteners like that to get more people in are safe. I don't know that. Like you said, Nintendo Music, despite them already updating it twice since it launched, Super Mario Wonder and donkydown Country two are now on there. Yeah, I don't think that's going to be enough. It's going to be enough to you know, because I've wanted to stream Nintendo's music forever and I finally have a solid option to do that for most. For some games, not all of them, but some, it's not enough for the for the layman, so that they would need more. Maybe maybe they do the free games every month, like for once a month, like a game you can play it for free for the entire month and then it goes away. They get a little sort of how Games with Gold worked, but it's a temporary thing, so it is a game pass Games with Gold hybrid. I don't know. I don't end vi the people that have to make that decision, but for me, it would just be like more free stuff because that seems to be what people are most attracted to.
Speaker 1: Yep, I think you're probably right there. All right, let's uh, I guess this is the last. Now a couple more Nintendo stories. Nintendo reports rapid growth for Metroid, Zeno Blake Chronicles.
Speaker 2: And more.
Speaker 1: Basically, they put out a chart showing how Pickman, Kirby, Metroid, and Zeno Blake Chronicles have all seen significant growth as franchises on the Switch compared to the WU and three DS. Now, let's go with Metrod here. For example, Metroid has sold four point nine to nine million units of video games across all the games released for the Switch, and then it sold juster point nine to eight million for three DS and WEU games. Now, if you might remember, there weren't a lot of Metroid games released for the WU. Things like that. But hey, yeah, I do do not doubt that this series has seen growth, just like you know, Kirby's at fifteen million on the switch, where it was five point six two million on the WU and the three DS, Hickman seven point eight six million on the switch, it was one point seven eight million on the WU and three DS, and then Zeno Blake Chronicles seven point seventeen million on the switch, where it was one point four to one million on the WU and the three DS. It's the switch effect. And I suppose this is Nintendo saying the switch effect has filtered down all the way from you know, it's not just Zelda and Mario. Like Zeldo was the biggest glow up in terms of franchise, always did well. But then Back of the Wild, a game that's sold like thirty five million copies or something like that, more than thirty million copies, which is just unheard of from just about any other kind of game. So that had the biggest effect. But that effect it applies across the board, including franchises like Pickman and Metroid. Do you think this is them saying, Hey, if you like these franchises, we're gonna stick with them because we've seen this growth and that growth can continue.
Speaker 2: I hope so, because it seems to me that the logical idea of releasing a game on a console that's successful will warrant success for those dormant franchises. I think Animal Crossing might be another great example that also had the benefit of launching during a global pandemic which nobody could see could see coming.
Speaker 1: Although gentle Animal Crossing has like started to pick up in terms of sales, like it's out selling most other games except for Mario Kart, Like it's sales are picking up a man, yep, wow.
Speaker 2: But yeah, looking at this chart here that you've now shared on the screen. This releasing games on the popular console and you get better sales. It just seems like simple math to me. Kirby has had what two maybe three launches on the Switch.
Speaker 1: More than that, Like, yeah, if you count some like this.
Speaker 2: Does not include digital according to download right again, this does not put downloadable only.
Speaker 1: But there was because there's there was that Kirby remaster remake forgotten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've done a lot with Kirby. Yeah, it's like three in like one year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not the one that has the most sales on this chart, but I think the biggest beneficiary is Xena Blade.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You had two core entries in that series, each one with a DLC expansion, and I think it the Switch specifically has taken Zena Blade Chronicles from sort of a niche RPG to like more in the conversation of one of the best ones you can play right now. Yeah, and I think they did something.
Speaker 1: I think they did exactly what you said, right, like just make it available on the console. They have done that with Zena Blade Chronicles where three yes, and now they're going to you know z you know, Blake Chronicles X is going to be on there, and like the DLCs are all on there. It's it's yeah, it's a scene of Blake Chronicles machine and uh, and that has clearly been like people feel comfortable investing not just their money, but their time and their their emotions into a franchise when they feel like it's easily accessible to get to the rest of that. I think that's been sort of the lessons learned from Resident Evil, right where it's like people feel good about investing their time in that franchise because they know Capcom's going to one keep supporting it. They're going to keep putting out re releases and remasters and remakes so that it makes it easy to play the whole thing, and that's what people want. People want long term investments and franchises. See the BA Chronicles is clearly taken advantage of that. And then you know Pickman. You know, I think Pickman's just a breakout hit. Now. It was you know, one point seven eight million on the WEIU and the three DS. You know, Pickman three came out on the WIU, and then you know, three Deluxe and four come out on the Switch and just kind of crush it. They are, especially especially in Japan where the franchise is really really caught on. So yeah, good for Pickman. All right, let's see here Nintendo reconfirms release schedule for its upcoming movies. This is from Liam Dulan at Nintendo Life. Nintendo's expansion into cinema is well underway, and this week it provided an update on what is to come. Its current plans for visual content, as it calls it, are seemingly still on track. After the release of the Super Mario Brothers Movie in cinema's last year, the film has now been viewed by approximately one hundred and seventy million people worldwide. As for what's to come, a new animated film based on the world of Super Mario Brothers. Brothers is still locked in for in April twenty twenty six theatrical release. Then this will at some point be followed by a live action film based on the legend of Zelda series from Sony Pictures. I always fund to point out that that's being made by Sony, that that currently has a like twenty two X date, so sometime in the twenty twenties for that Super Mario Brothers two obviously coming. I'm kind of think I'm getting to the point where it's like, I don't know if that Zelda movie ever comes out.
Speaker 2: No, I don't either. I think, man, I really wish they'd put two exits there. It's just so we could say that, like Legend of Cela's happening in the Mega Man franchise, that would maybe live No Super Mario Brothers too is If that date moves at all, I'll be shocked. I think. I think that it's around the time the first one released, which was a sweet Spot, and seventy million people can't be wrong, right, so that one's basically a locke. I'm a little more confident in you, I think in the live action Legend of Zilla, just because they have to see what Sega is doing and we're going to talk about them in a little while. With this whole transmedia strategy that they have. They have now a third Sonic movie coming out. Yaka is a series which has not reviewed well but is still there. They have Shinobi, which is coming a game and a movie. So they're starting to dredge up old franchises and get them out there in more ways than one, which shows that there's value in at least the attempt. I think there are other problems with a Legend of Zelda movie, like how do you do that? Yeah, I would love a Gannendorf origin story, but that's just meun.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a Peacock show or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's true too. But yeah, so I'm not shocked by Mario too being locked in. I do think the Zelda movie comes out, but that X in that twenty twenty X is doing some heavy lifting. We could be talking like twenty twenty nine. But yeah, good luck west Ball, good luck with that. Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm hopeful. But boy, I bet the scripts are coming in and they're just like, no, not this one, this is not working.
Speaker 2: Well did you just being in that room?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean all the masters got to serve. Yeah, like where you like you got to like make me a Moto happy with your Zelda's script. That seems impossible. Uh, don't expect a major mass efect announcement this week for in seven Day. This is something comes around every year, this from any coot game spot. But basically it's just saying they're trying to tamper expectations. In seven Day happens every year November seventh. People celebrate mass effect because in seven was his rank, right, Like it's his rank.
Speaker 2: Inspector spector rank, that's designation of the spectr.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right, they're you know, they could be a man or woman, and then they each year sometimes make announcements they at least acknowledge it over there at BioWare, Uh, but they just released a game, no surprise that they're not going to have something to say about Mass Effect at this point, although they did confirm that they have like shifted to Mass Effect, right that was some news yesterday that they UH put out Dragon Age and they're saying no Dragon Age DLC expansion like story expansion, like we've done a lot in the past, because we are all moving to Mass Effect to get that done. So that's some news, but that they don't expect news beyond that some new like re reveal of Mass Effect five because they're busy. They just did one game. They're getting to work on that one right now.
Speaker 2: Now. I think you might get like a teaser too. It won't be anything substantial. It may just be like a continuation of the teaser that they did last year, and they'll do they'll focus on like fan order and cosplay and all that other stuff that the community has been doing for years now. But I agree with this. I mean, it sucks that the timing is so close between Dragon Age and N seven day that you have to kind of temper the N seven expectations because I like that. I like this. I love Mass Effect, I loved I love the entire trilogy. Andromeda, you know it happened. We don't talk about it that much, but I'm a huge fan, So I like being reminded of this franchise and what and how much I enjoyed playing it in you know, twenty seven, twenty ten, and twenty twelve. God damn, so long ago. But so, but like, I get that they don't want to step on dragon Age's toes, and it seems like dragon Age is doing well critically and commercially, I think, so I get it. They want to they want to maximize that as much as possible. Plus I know I say this a lot when I'm on here, but like a Mass Effect update sounds like a killie thing, So you might see something there. Just wait a month December seventh or whatever the date is instead of November seventh. That makes sense to me. Yeah, give dragon Age a little bit of space and then do it later. But yeah, I get it. It's disappointing that it won't be too much of a blowout this year. But you don't want to mess with your game that just came out you worked so hard on, So it makes sense to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you feel about them? Also like saying, hey, we're not going to do DLC for for Dragon Age Veil the Vailguard. You know, I know people have a lot of fondness for certain byware expansions, but it also feels like maybe just we've that, doesn't it Maybe it doesn't make a lot of sense, Like every dollar spent on an expansion pack for one of these games probably returns less than every dollar spent on a new mass effect, right sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And then and not only that, it takes manpower away from getting the new mass effect out as soon as possible or as soon as you know, a non crunch situation would allow hopefully. Uh but yeah, I don't. If they are satisfied with the story that they told then and they feel that they can stand on its own lengths without being expanded upon, why then should we demand an expansion? You know, you know what I mean? Like, if they're creatively, if they're happy with the story, then and then why if that's it, that's the story they told, we don't have to agree with it. Where there the fans, where the critics. We will come out with our opinions on what that story is. But if they're good, then I guess we have to be good, right. Is it an interesting choice? Yes? Did I expect there to be DLC? Yes, But to hear that there's not and they're going to focus on Mass Effect more. Someone who may be admittedly biased that I enjoyed Mass Effect more than I enjoyed Dragon Age. Sure, that's fine with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get that. I think, you know, if dragon Age kind of continues the role here and and maybe outperforms where it's even at at this moment, I could see a world where it's like, maybe not an expansion, but maybe an expand alone, a like half sequel between. You know, sometime or soon after Mass Effect comes out, a smaller team working with the same assets puts out a smaller game, more focused. I would welcome that.
Speaker 2: But perhaps even a different genre. Maybe, Hey, maybe like a roguelike would fit dragon Age, like go.
Speaker 1: Back to Turn Base for a smaller story. Yeah, something like that could be very cool. But you know, maybe they also get busy remaking the dragon Age games as a dragon Age trilogy Anyway, let's get to the next story why a dragon Age trilogy compilation may never happen. Eddie McCoo at GameSpot Bywear released a compilation package for its Mass Effect series, bundling the original trilogy, But could the studio do the same for the dragon Age franchise. Don't get your hopes up, but nothing has been ruled out Bywear. Creative director John Eppler said in an interview that this would be especially difficult because the first two dragon Age games were made with the Eclipse engine before dragon Age Inquisition shifted to Frostbite. Epler told Rolling Stone that he's made one of maybe twenty people still working at Buyowear who has experience with Eclipse, which could make putting it together a compilation package difficult. I remember around the time of the Mass Effect Legendary Edition, when I was doing the reporting on that, a lot of Biowaar fans were coming to like, okay, now what about dragon Age, when is that going to get a trilogy? And I remember asking about this, and this is exactly what I heard. For one thing, Mass Effect is easy because it was all in unreal engine. So when they build the tools to take something from the old Unreal engine and sort of spif it up. It just works across the board. It really streamlines that process that would not be possible with the way the dragon Age games work, you know, being able to two games being an older engine and then one game being in Frostbite, none of them being an Unreal So even the work they've done on mas Effect would not apply to any of them. The other factor that they pointed out is, you know, Mass Effect is a you know, for the most part, one through three is one big story. It all like one leads into the other and it's one character and that so like does make sense as a package. Whereas dragon Age is each story is more self contained. Some of them are very self contained, and so they'd be doing this work and maybe maybe it wouldn't actually have the same impact as a Mass Effect a legendary edition, So I think they continue to lean away from doing this. It would be a lot more work and maybe not worth the effort in the way Mass Effect was. So I would not expect this to happen, how about you.
Speaker 2: I don't know about a full trilogy, but maybe they go back to the Well for a remake.
Speaker 1: Of Origins or that sounds like, I'm possibility too.
Speaker 2: But that I think that makes more sense than a compilation, just based on the fact that they were using a completely different engine at the time, and if there's only twenty people still working there that have experienced with the old engine, that really says a lot about the industry as a whole. Yeah, it does, but that's another that's another story here, but yeah, it makes sense to me.
Speaker 1: Yep, all right, new Virtual Fighter game is in development. This is from Jason Pinellia Game Spot some SMO. Last year at the Game Awards, Sega announced new entries in multiple franchises within their backlog, including Jet Set, Radio, Crazy, Tacky Crazy, Tacky Crazy, Taxy, and Streets of Rage. Today, one of the company's executives confirmed that another classic Sega franchise will be punching its way back into the limelight, as a new Virtual Fighter has been confirmed to be an active development. This is from an interview over a VGC.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, yes, so they were speaking with Justin scarp Owns Carponi. I'm not sure who that is. He is the VP and head of their global trans media group that I mentioned earlier, and he flat out was like, so here's the full quote. We have a suite of titles and development right now that fall into that legacy bucket which we announced last year at the Game Awards, Crazy Taxi Jets, at Radio Reach of Rage, Shinobi, and we have another virtual fighter being developed, and so all that's very exciting there. It is. That's it. That's the confirmation another virtual fighters being developed. Seven words in a sentence have confirmed what people have wanted since technically two thousand and seven when Virtual Fighter five first launched on Xbox A wild way to find out, but something after Virtual Fighter five Ultimate Showdown and the way it was received by Sega not completely out of the rum of possibility. I think we all kind of had the feeling us Virtual Fighter fans yea, you know, all five of us that once Ultimate Showdown came out, and the way that they were like, well, okay, people will really have a taste for this. It's probably something that's going to happen. I don't know if it would be more of a reboot thing or if they would like just create six. That has not been discussed. I don't know if they're going to call it Virtual Fighter across e Sports like the last time when they announced Ultimate Showdown. It was originally called and we all went huh that that was one of the most confusing announcements. But I'm telling you right now, the instant I see a trailer that starts with that iconic put the coin in sound from Virtual Fighter to I may launch into space because I cannot wait for Virtual Fighter six. It's gonna be great. Nice to see it confirmed. I would have liked more than seven words in a sentence, but hey, any confirmation at all that it's being developed works for me.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: If he comes back and says, oh, I was just kidding, then he's dead to me. But for now, for now, I feel pretty good about another Virtual Fighter coming up.
Speaker 1: Yep, Yeah, I like Virtual Fighter a whole bunch. Love to see this return. I think this is the right Sega to do this. They're in the right position now. They are firing on all cylinders. They seem to have a strong backbone that creates the opportunity to take risks with some of these things. Uh, you know, they know they can rely on at list, they know they can rely on like a dragon. The you know, they're kind of shifting things around to make their their PC gaming space stuff makes sense. Again, so total War. But you know, Creative Assembli has also got several other irons in the fire. So all right, now you have all these other classic franchises, we're gonna they're gonna do a bunch of stuff with that. They got, you know, like you said, Streets, Rage, Jets, Radio, all this stuff coming back. And apparently they've you know, we've kind of known from the beginning. That was just the that was just the beginning. They do have a lot of other ideas for these older franchises. Virtual Fighter getting sort of to be the next one in that parade is awesome, and I hope, I hope, I hope this initiative is super successful for them because I love that this is where Sega's at this rules Yeah it's.
Speaker 2: Face yes exactly, Yeah, very I'm getting the lot of cap Co vibes, So Vector Man fans, Comic Zone fans, sort of Vermilion fans. There's still hope for you. There is, just keep hoping.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So if we're going to move to the last story here, I just want to breaking news in from the chat Uh to the to the Games Morning's news desk Uh. Jimbo Plushy now available for pre order via Blatro game on x Let's want to Jimbo plushy. Who wouldn't want to Jimbo plushy that stares into your soul while you sleep. These plushies will be a limited run, so make sure you pre order a SAP. And I am not buying that creepy ass motherfucker. What A that's cool? Uh? Good for you, go go find that. Thank you for dropping that in the chat whoever did that?
Speaker 1: Uh? And he got very excited about multiple houses had several scary clowns, and she was like, I love this, so maybe maybe I'll get that for her, although then I was yes, but then I was like, should I should we watch a scary clown movie? And she goes maybe when I'm maybe one. I'm a teenager. All right, Good call kid, good call. Well, A good way to know yourself, all right. Last story here that I have the secret actor behind Meddle Gear Solid three threes Ava has been revealed after twenty years. This is from Michael mcwerder at Polygon. For the past twenty years, the identity of the woman behind Ava in the Men Middle Gear Salad three Snake Eater has been a closely guarded secret. The actor credited with the role is Susetta MiNet, but the name is a pseudonym for a much more famous voiceover artist. A new video from Konami promoting the upcoming Medal Gear Solid three remake reveals the third episode of the Medal Gear Solid Legacy series hosted by David Hayter, reveals that the actor behind Ava in Snake Eater is Jody Benson. She's best known for her role as Ariel in Disney's The Little Mermaid and Barbie in Pixar's toy story franchise Crazy. That's Crazy, That's nuts. They had her just doing the voice, and no one knew for two twenty years.
Speaker 2: Well and said a word for twenty years. Ariel has been part of your world for twenty years, and nobody said a thing that is wild to me the way that. Later on, she talks about seven years ago, an unnamed convention, someone slipped the copy of Snake e Ar to her for to sign, and she said, why are you bringing this to me? And he said, because you're in it. And she said, do you know my deep dark secret? He said yeah, She said, keep it quiet. So and also she explained, she explained why she did that. That's because this was such a departure from her child friendly, family friendly things, right.
Speaker 1: She said that she did family based, children based projects and throughout her career, and so voice acting director Chris Zimmerman suggested that she go with a pseudonym.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I get that logic sure absolutely makes sense to me, and honestly, it makes for a better reveal twenty years later when we can all appreciate it a little bit. Well, that's very cool, Metal Gear, Solid three motors. I look forward to the aerial mod coming to coming soon to the PC version. And I love how she picked the name too. What was your dog's name growing up, Susette Monett? You know what, let's build on that. Let's how about Susetta And instead of money, like the artist will do mine? And Y was like, Neil done, watch that video. It's great.
Speaker 1: This is a very cool thing. I love. Well, I guess I love when the sort of thing happens. How often does something like this actually happen? That's it's just such a unique scenario.
Speaker 2: So that's a goofy story.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, But yeah, I'm getting excited for Delta. I wish it was coming out this year, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Two, they announced when it's coming out, and they still say twenty twenty four. Got better get on that run out of time here or there, pals.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he is working with a hand in hand with Jeff Kewey for the Game Awards on that one. They love each other.
Speaker 2: Did you imagine they come out holding hands all the stuff.
Speaker 1: Wow cats and living together? Yeah? No way. All right, let's see here, I got the pole question. We get to that real quick. All right, there we go. Uh, let me were fresh? Actually did we put the pole question up? Because? Uh, yeah, we didn't. We forgot Jam was sick, so we didn't put up the poll question. So here's what we're gonna do. We'll get that pull question. We'll put it up and then we'll also put up to days and we'll do both tomorrow here on Game Mess Mornings. And by we I mean yes me, I forgot. I forgot everybody. Look, well, my bad de Shaun was traveling, Jam was sick, and I am a bad person, so you could see how this sort of thing would happen. But new pole question will be do you think the live action Zelda movie will ever come out?
Speaker 2: Yes? Or no?
Speaker 1: I'm just kind of curious to see where people are at with this, and we'll get the results of that and talk about on Games Mornings here on giant Bomb tomorrow. Before we get to what's happened on giant Bomb though, Jason Finelli, what's going on with you where if you'll find you on the internet.
Speaker 2: I'm still writing news for GameSpot, as we talked about earlier, had a second feature go live on Rolling Stone, spoke to the folks behind Metal Slug Tactics about bringing modern retro games to the modern era. As half of it was with the CEO's studio, Aurelian Lose, which is a great name, and then the other half is with the dot EMU CEO and Bear talking about all the things that they've done with Streets of Rage and wind Jammers. And he also talks about a game that he would like his next game, but his dream project. But not his next game, it's not confirmed, but his dream project, the game he would like to bring back into the limelight, be it in its original form or in a new form. And the answer might surprise you, because it surprised me. I'm going to make you go read the article though to find out other than that I am you know, big Man Finelle on basically everything every social media that there is, including Blue Sky. If you are traveling to Bluer Skies, I am over there as well. And yeah, to have a couple features from Magic Con in Vegas a couple of weeks ago, ones already up. I spoke to Blake Rasmussen, who is the head marketing guy, and Aaron Forthite Forsyth, who is one of the heads of design for Magic to gathering talking about the next year of what they're coming out with, like the Final Fantasy Set, the Spider Man set, the SpongeBob Secret Layer which has been an interesting reaction, and all the things that they're planning on doing there. It was an interesting conversation. Have another one coming out soon, specifically about Foundations, which goes into pre release this week. Sorry if that's Greek to you, but for those who it's not Greek too, I promise it'll be good stuff. Yeah, that's that's that's what's happening here now. We're just running out the clock till twenty twenty five and moving and starting the year off over again.
Speaker 1: Yep. As far as Giant Bomb goes, I think we're probably gonna kick a few things from today just to let people, you know, take some time. So no Blake club today. If we do one later this week, we'll let you know. But I was just saying and slack, we should take it easy today, So no Blake Club. I might stream something here in a little bit by myself, just hang out with y'all, but if I do, I'll let you know that could also I could also just up pull the ripcord on that as well. We'll see how we're feeling. But we should be back to normal things here in the next couple of days. We'll keep you all posted. But yeah, let's take care of each other. Let's do our best to be there for each other. You know, go play a game or not, Go read a book, do something nice for yourself and for the ones around you that you love, like hang out with Jason Fonelli. That was a nice thing for me. Jason, thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talk about video games. Man, I really appreciate it be.
Speaker 2: To do it. It was a nice way to get out of my funk. I was describing my feelings this morning as I drove the kids to school as that moment when noise cancelation headphones activate and you're just in that weird like yeah, whoa and you can't really hear anything. It's that's what it was. So to get that out of my system and to talk here with you is something I very much appreciate, and I just want to echo what you said. Reach out to people who might be affected by this in your life, make sure they're okay, do what you can for them. Empathy will get us through whatever is coming. The strongest thing you can do is be it empathetic and just nice to the people around you. And I can't really say it any better than that. So yep, be careful, be safe, enjoy yourselves. So that's it.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's you know. It just takes a couple of people who really, you know, can push this stuff forward with love. Everyone else is gonna be miserable. And I don't blame anyone for doing that. But let's try to be a pillar here there where we can. It's not going to be a constant thing when you can do it. All right, let's see anything else I wanted to mention. No, I think we're good. Oh yeah, eighteen hours of extra life is now live on YouTube. Sean got the whole archive put up. I think he said even something about doing timestamps, which is insane, but he might be doing that very least though. Go watch it. It's a really good time. If you missed it. There are several incredible moments. Not several, there's dozens of incredible things, because it's just jam packed with an amazing moment. So go watch that if you want to. Put it on the background over the next couple of days and enjoy yourself. All right, Well, thank you once again, Jason, Thank you everybody for listening and watching. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourselves, and goodbye.
Speaker 2: There y'all, the headphones aren't letting me put this hat on the way I wanted to. Sorry,