Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbary Lane. Welcome to a new episode of Full Circle the Podcast. A visit to our home where we squeeze a few headlines for our decidedly queer lens. See what happens. This episode is brought to you by Decanta jug Wine and Dicant jug Wine.
Speaker 2: I am your post Charles Tyson Junior.
Speaker 1: And I'm your host more than madrible. Welcome to the Full Circle Table.
Speaker 2: You made me snort in my intro. Damn, sorry, Hi baby, Hi, how are you. I'm okay, just okay, I mean, I'm good.
Speaker 1: That's good. He's tired.
Speaker 2: It's the end of a we're always tired, long week.
Speaker 1: I know it is August second. Yeah, that books Green Outside the World is still there.
Speaker 2: We've been officially in Leo season.
Speaker 1: For months now. For a week. Yeah, this this Wednesday would be Tutsa's birthday should be ninety six.
Speaker 2: And today would be my dearly departed bestie's birthday. Christina would be fifty one today, exactly twelve days older than me, right, because that was the running joke. You will always be twelve days older than me, and there is nothing you can do.
Speaker 1: About nothing you can do. It's true. My cousin is two months and one week older than I.
Speaker 2: Am, and that one week is very important.
Speaker 1: Well, it's there.
Speaker 2: And it always will be.
Speaker 1: It's there October first to December eight mm hmm. This is two months and a week. Okay. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then yesterday, August first, was my bestie Ken his birthday. So many leos, A.
Speaker 1: Lot of leos, A lot of leos. I'm saying happy birthday a lot because.
Speaker 2: We're everywhere and we're very sensitive if you don't say something from the.
Speaker 1: End of July through all. Yeah, we know a lot of leos. How about that?
Speaker 2: Interesting, We're fabulous and we're everywhere.
Speaker 1: That must be it.
Speaker 2: I know it is from where I'm sitting.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, and uh yeah, going to Kat's Jellico ball was still your birthday present. I'm just gonna keep saying that Happy birthday again.
Speaker 2: I'm sure I will still be a changed human from having seen it on my birthday.
Speaker 1: All right, And we were well, I'm sure we'll get to a bit. We were watching Haitiestown yesterday. Yes, we went to the movies. We managed to make it to our local queer art show. Yes and buy things, and then we managed to meet up with Kathy at the movies where we have recliners and I see Hadestown.
Speaker 2: Yes, and their limited engagement.
Speaker 1: That has been extended extended.
Speaker 2: It was supposed to be five days and the original run took place over the past weekend when we were booked solid. So when it got extended, I said, yes, yeah, no.
Speaker 1: It was great. And as they were doing different shots I believe, I leaned over and said, and you we talk about this. You can talk about how you met Andre Deshields in his dressing room recently. Yes, yeah, like.
Speaker 2: That, Yes, because I met Andre Deshields in his dressing room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, exactly, just like I was saying, I'm going to text my my friend Andre Deshields about the episode with great great King. Yes, I will mention having seen Haydes Town a role he originated and one a tony four correct correct, Yes, at brilliant is so well done. And this is we saw it in Philadelphia touring. Yes, and this is the core members I guess, our original cast and then the West End folks.
Speaker 2: Right, the current the original Broadway cast and then current at least at the time of the filming cast on the West End.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I love that one of the Fates as a transwoman. Yes.
Speaker 2: And it took me a second to catch because you know, at first you're just taken over by the Fates, because the Fates are like, might be my favorite characters in the show actually, yea, because they're fabulous and they do everything in three part harmony, the way they.
Speaker 1: Move, the way they sing yes so much there.
Speaker 2: I love them. And there it was two black women and one white woman of size, yes, and they were all killing it. And after a while I was like, hmmm, and then leaned over to you. I was like, is she a trans woman? You said, I think so, And I looked it up and.
Speaker 1: I said, yes, yeah, I don't think I said, I think so, Yes she is, yeah, because I did clock her voice, and I went, oh, good for her because she Oh.
Speaker 2: Once she got the solo moment, I was like, okay, yeah, no, I just beautiful, beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and out and proud and all of that from what I was reading. But yeah, yeah, that was that. That gave it another layer of delicious.
Speaker 2: Alie Daniel is her name, Yes, yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's hard to not watch her for real when she's on screen because very captivating persons.
Speaker 2: That entire cast. Man, I get it because the cast we saw, the touring cast, I went away from it. I believe. I said. One thing you can know for sure if you are in Hadestown, it is to be assumed that you can sing your fucking ass off, because the music is designed for people who can sang s A y and G sang. And seeing the original cast, I'm like, yeah, that's that's the through line.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure it's as important with Hades, the other character.
Speaker 2: I think Hades is the important thing about Hades is you have to have a striking look and you have to be able to hit a bottom note that you have to lift up your shoe to reach.
Speaker 1: Okay, because you need that booming voice.
Speaker 2: Yes, because both actors we have seen play Hades have had a very deep bus voice.
Speaker 1: Yeah my god. Yeah. And I'm like, where do I know him from? Where do I know him from? And then you went gilded age.
Speaker 2: Oh that's it.
Speaker 1: There we go. Okay, it made sense because I who did he remind me of? I've said something to Kathy Anthony Quinn. I think and and and visually, but then you know with the I'm like, I know him from somewhere.
Speaker 2: Patrick Page is Patrick Page name?
Speaker 1: Yes, and he yeah, I had the voy he had a boot on.
Speaker 2: So yeah, he had injured his his foot and so he had the walking boot. But they like created this like decoration on it, so it like went with his outfit.
Speaker 1: It kind of did. Yeah, it was very fierce. And he still danced with wearing the same suit in the movie that Nicole Kidman is wearing right before the movie starts every time, and.
Speaker 2: I always said, I always say, you can rock the fuck out of Yeah, he was wearing the same suit, sparkly pinstrip.
Speaker 1: It hit different on him whatever, Yeah, different vibe. Yeah, anyway, it's something I noted.
Speaker 2: Going back to talking about Broadway, Okay, apropos of nothing. We just released our interview with doctor Gregory King, yes, who came on the pod, and we talked about cats agelical Ball, and we discussed why we think it close, it's closing early, and what are the contributing factors in the Broadway system as a whole, and we talked about you know, yeah, we asked some bigger questions possible ways to alleviate this problem on a larger scale. We got deep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why do some shows get grace for a time and some don't? Yeah, was part of the question. Something as groundbreaking as this. Not getting more time is a question. It's a serious question. And you know, in part, and I mentioned this yesterday, maybe part of the answer is doing these releases in movie theaters. Now you know this is obviously, you know, an edited version, but it is the stage play. It's you know, filmed on stage like Hamilton one. Right, And is this another way to create a revenue stream that can help these shows? Was the question. Because Met Live. I don't know if they still do it, but Elizabeth was talking about this that you used to be able to go see opera live. It was like a simulcast in a movie theater. Yeah, so while the performance is happening at the Met in New York, you could go to a movie theater in Chicago and it was like twenty five dollars and I don't know what it would be now, but and watch the same performance. Yes, and that expands the reach. It may it creates more accessibility, I don't. I doubt it minimizes the audiences on Broadway itself, because the people that are going to Broadway, I think are going to Broadway, and the people who can't never get there, they might see it when it tours, or they may never see it.
Speaker 2: Right, And that's primarily like the staged recordings shown in movie theaters. I feel like those are for people that are either most likely never going to physically make it to see a Broadway show on Broadway, or for fans of the show to see it again.
Speaker 1: I've not seen Hamilton on stage. I've only seen the Disney you know, Channel version, which is excellent. It's the original cast. It's from twenty sixteen, and tickets at that time were so astronomically expensive there was no way, right, there was no way we could have seen it on stage at that point.
Speaker 2: Like I'm glad, Like with Hadestown, I'm glad we saw it in the order that we saw. We saw the touring production first, and then we saw the original cast in the movie because like seeing Hamilton for the first time with the original cast, it's like, I'm in no big hurry to see anyone else do it, Okay, fair, I mean that's just me, you know.
Speaker 1: I do like seeing different people bring different things to the role, even you go who else could do that, and then somebody brings something fresh.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there's plenty of people that could like rock the hell out of it.
Speaker 1: I mean you mentioned the physicality of the person doing it on tour, doing the Hermes part, Oh, and it was like much more physical, more dancing, more movement. I was like, yeah, much younger actor. For one thing. Under Deshields, every movement is so intentional and so elegant and so clear. Yes, and part of the storytelling. He doesn't have to move around, and he did.
Speaker 2: He danced, did oh, he did like a nice little bit there.
Speaker 1: I mean, but you know, watching him an old Deuteronomy, it's like, right, yeah, you don't have to move much, right because when you move everyone sees exactly what you did that.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing. I in no way felt like having seen the more physical version of Hermes first, I in no way felt like there was anything missing from Andre to Shields's performance. I mean, first of all, why would I But it's just there was it was different, right, it was different. It was different, but he was captivating, you know what it is. It's it comes down to that whole like how you can like how with ease you can you can do things as opposed to people that have to put forth more energy, like for instance, when Kathy and I saw Missus Doubt Fire the Missus Doubt Fire musical. Yes, that actor had to be able to sing, dance, act, do impressions, play instruments just to be able to keep up with the energy that Robin Williams put forth naturally right, And I feel like that actually might be the same thing because it was a younger actor playing Hermes. There's no way that he would have had that nuance and presence like at his organically, at his fingertips, at his age, that Andre de Shields has because it's an amalgamation of everything he's done and everywhere he's been. You know what I'm saying, Like seasoned performers just have sure a performance quality that younger performers just don't, not won't, but don't.
Speaker 1: Well and some just get old. But under it just shields. It's a master right on the stage.
Speaker 2: Like in in Cats, like Andre just stood there, gave a look across the stage and then gave a thumbs down. A. I was captivated and B it was effective as fuck, absolutely, And you know, a younger actor might feel compelled to make that a bigger moment.
Speaker 1: Well, right, it's big because you're riverted, right, so you don't miss anything. But yeah, right, fascinating, It fascinates me, it does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So like that first that that actor we saw first do Hermes had to fly to get to the same place that Andre walks to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we watched Ain't Misbehaving? Yes, that was filmed in eighty two with the original cast, and I had that moment where I went, I kind of forgot young Andre to Shields, right, like I knew who he was then I kind of forgot that the same dude, you know, right, that's the same person, because yeah, how many years ago? Well also, but he was, he was cute, and he could move.
Speaker 2: He did the damn thing. Well, Ain't misbehavin Is like when I told Andre that he was my archetype for queer black cool. That performance is what I'm talking about. That's what cemented that for me. It's like, oh, okay, those mannerisms, that style. I like that, That's what I aspire to be. And I also realized, because you know, I hadn't seen Andre to Shields in performance in a in a long time. Before we saw him as old Uteronomy, and he was moving very slow and tentative, and I was like, oh, okay. And then we saw Hadestown, which was just a year before, and I'm like, okay, that's right. Old Deuteronomy is old and and and you know.
Speaker 1: Right, so it's like domain Shields camp. Correct. It means that's how he played, right.
Speaker 2: Which again is a testament to how fucking talented.
Speaker 1: Yes, Andre Shields, I'm still working on Broadway at eighty right. You gotta love it, right, yetta love it.
Speaker 2: I mean I should have known because when we met him in the dressing room, he was just regal and fierce and absolutely ten feet tall, even though he's not.
Speaker 1: Well, Yeah, he just has a presence and an elegance. And yeah, welcome to.
Speaker 2: The Andrea Shields Appreciation Podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. I want to note we did have two folks who we lost since we last sat down.
Speaker 2: Yes, this one is for my dancing people and for.
Speaker 1: My arts loving people, Okay.
Speaker 2: Simone forty passed way at the age of ninety one. She was very much a founding presence in the postmodernist movement, okay, and introducing the different elements of the arts into movement, including writing and painting and you know, using minimalist movement to create larger works. And her stuff was captivating. She could do a lot with a little.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's that? She took her inspiration from everyday objects, children's play, animals, minimalism, and LSD trips. Yeah.
Speaker 2: There was also that she.
Speaker 1: Called her most influential works dance Constructions. Yes, okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: So a lot of my postmodern folks are definitely mourning her right now. Simone forty was. I also just loved saying her name. Simone forty.
Speaker 1: She was premiered at Yoko Owner's Lower Manhattan loft in nineteen sixty one. Her groundbreaking five Dance Constructions and Some Other Things was a suite of short pieces based on playground structures, improvisation, and random chance. Yes, the idea had been planted in her by the pioneering recent performances of Japan's Gutai Art Association. Yes Gutai, Yes, whose artists crashed through paper panels and hurled fistfuls of mud.
Speaker 2: Yep, that sounds right, okay, yeah, okay, yeah, that's that stuff that I would have gone to. It would take place in a warehouse that someone managed to acquire access to. And it was one of those word of mouth things that somehow everybody went to and someone ends up naked and someone throws things at people in one things and by the end you're like, that was amazing? What the fuck did I just see? Like it was? She did a lot of that.
Speaker 1: Aha, Okay, okay, she did get her obituary in the New York Times yep, ninety one ninety one. May we all see one? I know, that's right, And she was still performing, it looks like until fairly recently. Yeah, that's kind of cool, right't rest well? Yes, Simon Forte, Yes, Vincent Pastor, I know.
Speaker 2: Big Pussy, Big Pussy, which is a name I can't believe was ever said on network television.
Speaker 1: Network television. It was HBO.
Speaker 2: I'm aware of that. I'm talking about like when they talk about it on the view.
Speaker 1: Oh they they said big pussy. Yes, okay. Salvator is am I saying bumps And Sarah the foot Soldier he earned FBI in foremant, known to his friends as big Pussy. Yeah, that was his seminal work. We've seen him in so many other things. He played Italian American tough guys, but that was. His biggest role was in Sopranos. He died at eighty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think I ever saw him play anyone that wasn't mobbed up.
Speaker 1: I did either. He died at his home. In The Bronx, he played mob enforcers, capos and the like before being cast in The Sopranos, which premiered in nineteen ninety nine. Oh And his character was known as Big Pussy, not for any obscene reason, but because he had started his career in crime as a cat burglar.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: His friends added Big to distinguish him from another character, Gennaro Malonga, known as Little Pussy. He won critical for the nuance he brought to the role. The character's flawed, conflicted, and likable caught in circumstances partly beyond his control that nevertheless sealed his fate. Ye, yeah, he came late to acting. He spent over twenty years as a nightclub bouncer and limousine driver, eventually becoming a manager and owner of a club in New Roshelle, New York. Among his regulars were Matt and Kevin Dillon, who knew him from his days as a chauffeur. Impressed by his charisma. They persuaded him to take acting classes and auditioned for small roles in New York area theater. He climbed quickly, getting parts in TV shows and independent movies, as well as small roles in Goodfellas and Carlito's Way, both about mob life and set in the city. His first major role was in the film The Jerky Boys Not Familiar, Oh God, the right hand man of a mob boss played by Allan Arcan. More mob theme roles followed, including in the movies Nightfalls on Manhattan, Gotti, and Mickey Blue Eyes. So he was working alongside many of the same Italian actors who would later be on the cast as Sopranos. Yep, yeah, interesting. How about that Jerky Boys? Was that fucking show on Comedy Central? It was all these recorded prank calls and they were re enacted by fucking puppets. Huh.
Speaker 2: It was straight white boy nonsense that I never cared about.
Speaker 1: He has done several reality shows after The Sopranos, Celebrity Apprentice or Celebrity Family Feud, Dancing with the Stars, branded his own pasta sauce, and had a role in the Broadway musical Bullets Over Broadway in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 2: Yes, the musical Bullets over Broadway, where they were even fewer black people than there were in the movie. And in the movie there was one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, interesting, interesting, interesting portrayals. He died at eighty this week. Yeah, Okay, do we want to take a quick break and then we will come back and jump right into good news. Yes, let's do that. We'll be right back and we're bad.
Speaker 2: We're back, so good news.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Yes, this actually was from the middle of July, but I wanted to make sure that we talked about it. The murderer of Oshay Sibley was sentenced finally.
Speaker 1: Yes, Anosha of course, killed for dancing Yeah, at a gas station in Brooklyn. Dmitri Popov hurled homophobic and anti black slurs during the attack on Thursday. The victim's family and friends remembered him in court as a vibrant young man who moved to New York to pursue his dreams before the judge handed down the sentence. Yeah. Last month, a jury found him guilty of manslaughter as a hate crime.
Speaker 2: Yes, sentenced to twenty years in prison, which I think is not enough.
Speaker 1: But that's just me. He was seventeen at the time that he killed Osha, who was twenty eight. Yep, so twenty years yeah, okay, not enough. But he was a black, gay.
Speaker 2: Man and a fabulous dancer enjoying a summer evening. Yep. And that's the thing when they were pomping, also bumping the Beyonce Renaissance album, So I know they were cutting up in vogueing and I know they look fabulous because I'm sure they were them.
Speaker 1: What's the problem? Yeah, exactly, what was the problem?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 1: But we had to interject hate and homophobia, I'm sure, no, a little bit of racism, right, yeah, So.
Speaker 2: Justice for Osha.
Speaker 1: That is why this is in good news, because you know that is finally over and justice is finally served. Yeah. You know, after he passed away that night happened to be Beyonce's show at New Jersey's MetLife Stadium, and after he passed away, Beyonce dedicated her homepage to him. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was the whole thing is like a black page with just his name in the middle.
Speaker 1: Rest in power, yeah, ohha, simply yeah yeah, yep. I'm glad that it was seen and charged as a hate crime because it was Yep, it really was okay. So for some well, I want to say, for some bizarre reason, but anytime I'm talking about Trump.
Speaker 2: Who is in himself a bizarre reason.
Speaker 1: He made insulting comments about Dylan mulvaney at the White House Press dinner, which is apparently turned into just an awful thing that people still attend for some reason. Well, but her response was kind of classy and fun.
Speaker 2: He brought her up for no reason out.
Speaker 1: Of right, the way he does with trans people. Oh, I forgot to mention the trainees. Let me throw that in there. He the funck den, he say. He compared her to CNN correspondent Caitlin Collins.
Speaker 2: Who before his speech had won an award for her reporting on Trump's meeting with Ukraine President Zelenski. Right, and so, he said, I thought Caitlin had really made it big with a major new sponsorship. But then I informed her that it wasn't her on the bud light can it was Dylan mulvaney.
Speaker 1: What yeah, which he just yeah said, right, exactly yeah. In a four minute video posted online, mulvaney congratulated Collins, encouraged her to keep up the great work, and said I'm incredibly honored to be compared to her in any way. She said that she had been flying under the radar, keeping up a pretty low.
Speaker 2: Profile except for starring in Broadway.
Speaker 1: Since the infamous bud light incident. Yet I am still his topic of conversation all these years later, and it seems to me that I might be like the one that got away for these men. Ooh, like I am permanently burned into their retinas. I am microchipped into their minds. Maybe being publicly mocked and criticized by this administration is actually like the greatest compliment of all because it puts me in the company of some of the most brilliant, empathetic people in our world to day, she continued, before rhetorically asking why it is so important for people like Trump to try and make sure that she remains unsuccessful. What is it that I have that they don't, she asks, before answering, Oh, my god, freedom. I am free in a way they will never have the privilege to experience, and they wont to use their power to take away my freedom. She then said that Trump and his kind do understand that her freedom has zero contingency on what they can provide for her because her freedom is fully dependent on her own acknowledgment of her real, authentic self. Okay, ha, okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: I love it. She was like, I'm still me and you're still you.
Speaker 1: So I win, right, exactly exactly? Oh my god, I miss smart people word. So this is fun. In a recent Fox News poll, I love it when they're Fox News polls right, a clear majority of voters fifty six percent embraced the Democratic Party on transgender issues. Thank you for thinking, we go right. Only forty three percent of voters opted for the Republican positions. It's still too many. And this is in the same survey where voters favor the GOP on immigration and border security issues as well as crime and national security.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: So it was not an exceptionally or even moderately liberal pool who were polled. Good to know, right, The General Social Survey documents some big changes in the American public's views over the last twenty years. In two thousand and four, Bush made opposition to gay marriage a centerpiece of his campaign. As we know, since then, I guess nearly every religion category has increased their support for the question if homosexual couples should have the right to marry one another. Why don't we keep going back over the same old chat. It's a good quin no one, no one's been harmed the day people have been married for eleven years now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, asked and answered a long time ago, Dear God.
Speaker 1: Mainline Protestants have increased their support for gay marriage over the twenty years, from thirty two to seventy eight percent. For Catholics, the increase went from thirty seven to sixty eight percent. Over the same time period from four to twenty four, those of other faiths jumped in supportive gay marriage forty two to seventy percent. For those with no religion, liberal or conservative, those numbers jumped from just under fifty percent to eighty one percent. What is wrong with the other nineteen percent?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So, this article posits that on trans issues, there's another reason for the change. Less than half of one percent of high school athletes are transgender, while for colleges it's point zero point zero zero two percent.
Speaker 2: That's way less than one half of one percent.
Speaker 1: Uh huh oh, way, way way less. But some proposed solutions have strangers doing gender verification on all female athletes, which affects a lot more athletes as well their parents and family. Given that some in our Congress refuse to investigate several major scandals involving political figures and underage girls, there's plenty of trust concerns among parents about those who may be doing the checking given oversight issues, interesting which.
Speaker 2: We have been positing, like repeatedly over the past couple years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this, John Torres is writing this about the shift. It's good news. It's been happening. It's been the trend. It's the trend I hope to see play out in the midterms. Yeah, you know, they're sick of this. People are sick.
Speaker 2: Of this and have been.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and have been for a long time. And just stay out of the common sections because that will give you a skewed view of the world, right, genuinely, seriously skewed view of the world that might make you think it's a bigger group of people than I think it actually is. Yeah, because actually most people are self absorbed and don't give a fuck what I'm doing. True, So, yeah, they're shifting. We know that they are, and I love it when it's their polls right that show it even among conservatives. If they weren't so slow to their own party. They did not it off already, right, it's not winning them anything. And how about the Epstein files. Well, so this could have gone in Shadenflreuda for Republicans joined Democrats to defeat an effort to write Trump's transgender military restrictions into federal law. The House rejected a permanent trans military ban and the Defense Bill.
Speaker 2: Vote and good, we saw it coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is good. They failed narrowly, and not before approving two measures targeting trans troops and their families. An amendment from ARMB work that would have given Trump's executive what are the force effective law failed two twelve to two seventeen, a ha before Republicans joined every voting Democrat and opposing it. It leaves the administration's ban in place, while preserving a path for courts, Congress, or a future president to reverse it.
Speaker 2: You good Republicans tried to codify Trump's trans military band into law. But my fellow members of the Congressional Equality Caucus and I put in countless hours of work in order to kill this amendment, and we were successful. I'm grateful for the bipartisan vote to defeat this discriminatory amendment that was a representative Mark Takano, chair of the Congressional Equality Caucus.
Speaker 1: Good, so some are waking up, I mean some are realizing, like he's getting older, this is all getting worse. You are all complicit. So you know now and again there's a tiny ray of sun. Right, this is one of them tiny ray. However, the House approved two amendments from Nancy Mace targeting healthcare and school athletics. Of course, one would prohibit Trcare, the militarys health insurance program, from covering transition related care for service members and their family members, including HRT, puberty blockers, and surgeries. What a count. Sparta Pride said the provision would deny medically necessary care to military families and could leave transgender troops without treatment even if open service is restored. Right, so you can serve, but you can't have healthcare.
Speaker 2: Right, give it and take it away.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And the second would ban transgender girls from competing on girls teams in Defense Department schools. Yeah. The amendment defines eligibility according to reproductive biold, but does not say house schools would verify students part always Yeah. Sparta Pride, which advocates for transgender people in the military, warned that enforcement could create serious privacy risks for military children. Yep. The way that they play with the military, support the troops.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile they're weakening the entire thing. Oh yeah, like how you're going to weaken our military and weaken our standing on the global stage at the same time. But call yourself strong. That don't even work.
Speaker 1: There are thousands of service members with transgender children who now have to face whether or not they should stay in the military as the government they serve discriminates against their kids. Yep, m hm, yeah, yeah, there it is, there, it is. I'm weary and this is good news, right, it's still in fucking good news, right, and I'm sad just because yeah one good too bad. That's the dance we're doing these days. I do want to talk about Governor Shapiro in Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania has ended criminal penalties for people living with HIV. They have never served an effective law enforcement purpose, and at the end of July they stopped it. He signed legislation the end of July ending enhanced criminal penalties for people living with h IVY. It removes HIV from the state's criminal code, yes, which previously allowed those charged with crimes like prostitution to face harsher criminal penalties if they are HIV positive. So we know when these things were written. While most offenders charged with prostitution and related crimes in Pennsylvania faced misdemeanor charges prior to this bill being signed, those living with HIV could be charged with a felony punishable by up to seven years in prison, regardless of whether they used condoms or if their viral load made it impossible for them to transmit the virus. It didn't matter. Yeah, these were. These state laws proliferated in the nineteen nineties and some before, but after Congress passed the Ryan White Comprehensive AIDS Resources Emergency Act, which linked HIV and AIDS treatment and prevention funding to laws that criminalized knowingly exposing others to the virus through sexual activity. While Congress removed most of those swunding requirements from the Ryan White Act in the year two thousand, twenty six, states still have laws on the books criminalizing transmission of or perceived exposure to HIV and or laws mandating HIV specific sentence enhancements, including four where such laws may require sex offender register.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean advocates have long criticized these laws as misguided and ineffective. Philadelphia Fight Chief Medical Officer, doctor j Costman said laws criminalizing those living with HIV only led to further stigmatization. That stigma discouraged people from getting tested and treated, fueling the epidemic, particularly among marginalized populations. Facts. Yeah, we know today that when people living with HIV are taking medications and have an undetectable level of virus in their blood, they can't transmit the virus to other people. Therefore, there's no scientific basis for criminalizing HIV. Boom yay and In a statement on July twenty sixth, Tito Valdez, the director of LGBT Affairs with the Philadelphia Department of Public Health, look at him doing stuff. I know it's like well anyway, called the signing an important step toward ending outdated policies rooted in fear and stigma rather than science. No one should face harsher treatment under the law because they were living with HIV. We applaud Governor Shapiro and the advocates who worked for years to make this change possible and remain committed to advancing policies that promote dignity, equity, and public health for all Philadelphians. Comments from the Mayor's office in Philadelphia. I know, I know how about that. I remember when we used to have them. I almost forgot that was a thing that happened. I know, how about it? Cool? Go teeto, right, So I want to really quickly, I'm gonna go right into the segment we like to call employer people taking pleasure real Maine. So this is fun. This just came out today, Yeah, reading out a Broadway World geno seegers won't be joining Hadestown after all. Yeah. Just days after it was announced that Disney star whatever his name is, would join Hadestown along with other cast changes in September, the production has announced that he will no longer be joining the show. The announcement of his casting was met with a backlash from fans of the show YEP, after viewing the performer's past statements on transgender people and other social issues. YEP. He had previously posted YouTube videos now deleted, targeting the transgender community, including video titles such as trans Fairness and no More Trans.
Speaker 2: It's like, I'm sorry, motherfucker, you want to be going Broadway?
Speaker 1: I know right of all places. A short statement reads, the producers of Hadestown and Geno Seegers have mutually agreed that mister Siegers will no longer join the Broadway production. Additional casting will be announced shortly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was supposed to play Hades.
Speaker 1: Yeah hm he was. Hell now yeah, you know, you know, fuck around and find out. Okay, yep, good good, I got not good.
Speaker 2: Good, sorry about it. Yeah, I would have watched your mouth.
Speaker 1: You should have. You should have and and the Internet is forever friend.
Speaker 2: So you know, I know, think before you hit sin people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I thank you Broadway for being Broadway in that part, yeah, because because that would be ridiculous, and you know, just nip it in the bud, which they did, yeah, which they did. So an anti transactivist what a title lied about a trans athlete injuring cis women because that's almost always a lie, right and they spelled it like anyway. Now she has to pay the price. Kirilee Smith admitted in court she didn't have any evidence to back up her claim about a trans woman injuring to SIS women. Huh yeah, this is Australia. And she lost her appeal on an unlawful vilification ruling. So now she has to pay ninety five thousand dollars in damages and to issue a public apology to the two trans women she targeted.
Speaker 2: Good, exactly good.
Speaker 1: I'm so tired of liars.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: Really she is actually the CEO of the anti LGBTQ plus organization Binary Australia. Shut the fucko. And she posted pictures in twenty twenty three of Riley Dennis, a trans woman, playing on a semi pro soccer team in New South Wales, the state that includes Sydney. She claimed that Dennis was a man appropriating womanhood and that she had injured two SIS women during a match so badly that they were both hospitalized. The claim wasn't true, and Smith would later admit in court that she had no evidence for the claim and couldn't even say when or where it supposedly happened or who the injured women were. I didn't injure anyone, I didn't hospitalize anyone, Dennis told the local news. Smith also posted on Twitter in twenty twenty three that she wanted men to help her with the bloke playing on the women's team. Oh please and ignorant con Shortly after, she traveled to an area on the coast with a group of men impersonating trans women. Aren't they clever now, according to the Guardian, and had them play soccer while she filmed them in order to mock trans women. This is what she does with her one life. Yeah. Men started showing up to Dennis's games and posting footage of her on social media, and Dennis told the court that she feared for her safety. Of course, she did quote all of a sudden, I just felt like there were one thousand eyes on me, that every move that I made was going to be so scrutinized. Dennis noted that she wasn't able to get a spot in the same league the next season. She believes that was because of all the attention on her. Right, teams knew that if I was signed onto their team that it would come with all this negative attention and it would be a political statement that they were making, which I understand and I don't want that for any team. But at the same time, I'm not trying to be a political statement, right. We don't generally set out to be just want to play the goddamn game. For some reason, a court issued a restraining order against Smith in February of twenty twenty five. She appealed, she lost. The judge at the time noted that Smith's behavior was objectively threatening and disturbing. Uh huh. Later in twenty twenty five, a court found Smith's guilty of unlawful vilification. The judge also rejected Smith's defense that she was engaged in political speech, noting that Smith misgendered and attacked Dennis in bad faith. Smith appealed and she just lost that appeal. Q News reports that the appeals judge made some small changes to the original verdict, but kept the finding and the ninety five thousand dollars fine in place. Smith and Binary Australia will also be required to publish a court approved apology that must remain pinned on their social media channels for three months.
Speaker 2: Ha ha, that's what you get. That's what you get.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They always have to make shit up to make their little points.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love it when common sense and justice Actually when yep, and that's going to be pinned to their ugly, foul lying probably website for three months. And that's what we call shine employer people taking pleasure real name.
Speaker 2: Yay. I'll take whatever we can get.
Speaker 1: So before we take a break, I already know the answer to this question, but would you like to share a fifteen minute phase? I would? What you guy?
Speaker 2: So, the fabulous and wonderful Spilata, Yes, who already has a song on the fifteen minute phase playlist, has got another one because he released another song. I'm sensing a trend.
Speaker 1: I am too. I don't if he thought about you when I released sharing anyway.
Speaker 2: So the song is called Haiku and it is upbeat and jazzy and klubby. And my favorite thing is that each verse, and there are many, each verse of this song is in what form haiku? It's true. Haiku is the Japanese style of poetry where there are three lines. The first one is five syllables, the second is seven syllables, and then the third is five syllables. Yep, it's I love Haiku's It's very specific. You have to be very intentional about the words that you choose. And he he did his thing.
Speaker 1: It's adorable. It is, it's adorable. We are going to go out to the break with Haiku by Spilata, right because you know, you know we'll be right.
Speaker 3: Black time to make some art thought. I put it in jazz simply for the class Haiku. Me. I'm Spilata, the one you've been waiting for. Here to give you more haiku. Time to cleanse the vibe. Get this music back in line. It's been on deep by haiku. Yeah, I went viral one share, darling. Then it flew thank you miss Badu haiku.
Speaker 1: Hiko m hm, and we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: The entire song was in haiku. It's true. Well, okay, fun, that was fun.
Speaker 2: It gave me an idea for a little creative project.
Speaker 1: Okay, loving Spilada once again. Oh yeah, we should chat with them one day. Yeah, you should have a kiki.
Speaker 2: I'm definitely gonna hit him up and let him know that he made the fifteen minute fave again.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, do it. But it's time for the cavalcade. Nonsense. I mean, no, we don't have to do anything but die, and I guess pay taxes.
Speaker 2: I don't want to do that either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely don't want to pay taxes. I don't like where my tax dollars are going at all, and I don't feel like I'm getting much representation these days, right, and didn't we I don't know, dump stuff into the water for nowurisation without representation.
Speaker 2: And now that non representation is dumping other stuff in the water.
Speaker 1: Funny that it was tea. So that's where do we start here. There was a deadly Berlin Pride attack which we know of. The suspect was killed in a confrontation with police. The mess left one person dead by twenty nine injured and he was shot and killed by police and during a confrontation in a suburb of the city. Yeah, he was killed following a search that lasted nearly twenty four hours. He had previously sought to join the militant Islamic State.
Speaker 2: Group, which they loved to latch onto.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He is suspected of driving a van into a crowd near Berlin's Pride festival Saturday night, before apparently stabbing others with a machete. Jesus in what authorities believe was an Islamic extremist terror attack, saying is the nonsense part? Yeah, I mean good that they got him, that it happened, you know, Jesus Christ. These people have no life, for real, How do we get them? One spend like the next one, you know, what I like.
Speaker 2: You spend so much time focusing on things that have nothing to do with you, then you have to make up a whole like scenario to justify all the time in brain space you've been attributing to it, and then you make it more important than it is. And then this is what happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am hmm, that's all. I got much else news. Now it happened. It sucked. They killed the dudes who drove the van, and that was that. Yeah, So let's look about Michelle Visage.
Speaker 2: So Michelle Visage has been the face of prep education for at least the better part of this past year.
Speaker 1: It's being the face of prep. I just never mind. That's why I said education.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, she's been doing commercials for a good minute of seeing them on Pluto TV, right, and she has a new one, and you know she never mentions HIV sex any of that.
Speaker 1: She actually doesn't.
Speaker 2: It's for people that need to know, and you know what prep is if you need to know.
Speaker 1: However, however, one million Moms is about thirty seven frigid bitches raising.
Speaker 2: But that's not alliterative.
Speaker 1: So you can't really blame them because their husband thins are gay, which explains so much. And they're fucking each other. In fact, I think they started a new gym. Anyway, they're raging more on that later over campaign urging people to educate themselves about the HIV prevention medication long acting injectable prep. Yes, they aired the commercial on TV Land, right, which you know, aren't they the ones they rebroadcast like all the fifties and sixties wholesome sitcoms, that whole thing and so all of these chad wives, you know, addicts. They declared is no place for edgy programming. First, the only think edgy is Michelle's wig, which is a bit much.
Speaker 2: I will say, wait till they hear about almost all the actors who played the husbands on those shows.
Speaker 1: God, I know both, It's true both Darren's Darren's every uncle on The Witched, the Brady Bond anyway, I guess because it features Michelle Vissage.
Speaker 2: They automatically associate her with faggotry.
Speaker 1: Which kids aren't that busy though, you know, I mean their kids are. God, these people, I want them to have a life. I want them to marry straight men who want to fuck them. I just I want them to have more right, so they'll leave us the fuck alone. But yeah, it doesn't even mention sex or HIV specifically. It assumes the viewer already knows the basic concept right of long acting injectable prep. Vissage merely explains the kinds of questions folks interested in taking the medication should ask their doctors.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so one million Moms believes that children who see the ad will be immediately corrupted. First of all, they would be.
Speaker 1: What are they talking about, mommy?
Speaker 2: And how do I get some? Right? They would be educated, They wouldn't be.
Speaker 1: Correct juice bop candy?
Speaker 2: Can you imagine what SA right? Can you imagine what goes through the mind of a child, tween or teen when seeing this ad? A parent never expects to discuss it.
Speaker 1: I have to pee, I want some popcorn? Right, it's a commercial.
Speaker 2: A parent never expects to discuss sexuality or homo sexuality while sitting at home enjoying family time. Maybe not in your house is on the website. Ironically, there are acronym spells oh, which is funny because these bitches need to relax they do. It then asks people to sign a petition to TV Land stating that the ad is unacceptable. Around seven thousand people have signed I am extremely disappointed that TV Land is currently airing commercials for prep Wisdom, a campaign targeting the prevention of HIV through sexual activity. The petition states these inappropriate ads are highly irresponsible.
Speaker 1: Now they're actually responsible exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like, think about what you're saying, how dare you try and save lives?
Speaker 1: And maybe just maybe they're trying to figure out how to reach your husband well, and they thought maybe he was sitting there watching tv Land with you rather than out fucking his boyfriend, so they tried it. I mean, public health is really their number one concern, just saying how do we reach the down low?
Speaker 2: I was just thinking of when we were watching Ain't Misbehaving, and I was thinking of the song. Find out what they like and how they like it, and let them have it just that way. So in this case that would be pegging.
Speaker 1: At least, But sometimes they just want to you know.
Speaker 2: This stick on mustache itches.
Speaker 1: It's not the same as when Haraldo does.
Speaker 2: I don't even know where to find a lifelike mask of Mateo Lane.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, you're too hippy and too lippy, and you don't swallow, which is probably why Michelle Visage's presence upsets you to such a degree. Oh my god, I mean, I guess that's why they put it on TV Land. I can't think of another reason. I guess Hoppy wasn't home watching with you. I no, No, If your man gets gets all sweaty and gets up and leaves in a huff, it's not because he's offended by Michelle.
Speaker 2: No, it's not like that. Reminds me, I'm running low.
Speaker 1: That was close to home one minute.
Speaker 2: I got to run to the store and get a pack of cigarettes. I'll be back in an hour and a half.
Speaker 1: As if those men have sex responsibly. Oh good god. Anyway, so the Right, here's here's our theme, making shit up, eh, Because boy don't they the right is so hungry for anti trans stories, is that they're turning to AI to make them up.
Speaker 2: So now we're balluting the water with our nonsense.
Speaker 1: All the fish are dying because you have to make shut up. Several non stories that portray trans people in a negative light have gone viral in the past several weeks, and others were completely fabricated.
Speaker 2: It's not even good AI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they've been ginning our patriot against trans people for years, as we know, in order to pass bands on sports and gender. Anything but the Epstein Files, anything but them. What the what is this show I was just watching on on on Hulu Betrayal, Betrayal. I mean it's all the married Christian CIS white men who did Ale kids. Yep, they even have a TV show to tell you what's going on now. But yeah, let's fuck with the trans people. So anyway, the people who are doing that are are using AI to create fiction, because that's all they got. The right clearly wants people to get angry, dropping words like creepy into their stories about them and complaining about taxpayer dollars going toward woke, even if their arguments about the funding make little sense.
Speaker 2: Wait they did they used woke as a noun.
Speaker 1: I don't know. They want people to be mad at trans people, even though there is not much left to get mad about. War on woke. Well, these recent stories all have in common another thing. It's that they're not news.
Speaker 2: Woke is not a now.
Speaker 1: They don't involve anyone being harmed, they don't involve elected officials or celebrities. They're not even originating in local news sources that might be interested in them because they tell locals about events happening around them. Several originated in UK media, and we're almost immediately picked up by us outts hungry for something to be mad about. Isn't that that should just be their campaigns? Well, they are literally creating shit to be mad about. Sometimes there's an AI watermark, but sometimes there isn't. It is unclear how much of an appetite the public has for this sort of hate propaganda. The public has made it clear that they just plane don't think about trans people as much as Republicans do. No, they don't, we don't, even for Christ's sake. Surveys have shown that while voters aren't supportive of trans rates across the board, their votes are unlikely to be swayed by translates issues. More on that later anyway. Anyway, it's just frustrating because this is what they do. I mean, it's what they do. They're creating videos for people to get mad at so they can get mad at trans people, so that they can join the fight against people that are harming you. So you don't pay attention to Billy Bob, your son's coach, who By the way.
Speaker 2: It makes me think of that meme where it's a picture of a kid screaming with a boot on his neck, and then it zooms out and he's got his own hand in the boot, pressing it into his own neck.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, yeah, that one. I love that one. It's like that.
Speaker 2: It's a metaphor.
Speaker 1: It's like the keep going Christian food bank shelves are empty right after a pastor rejects supplies from LGBTQ plus allies. This pisses me off. Yeah, really, A West Virginia food bank shelves are bear after refusing supplies from organizations that are allegedly part of the gay rights movement because they support LGBTQ plus. People starve them, right, they would rather people starve that.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, because Jesus loves you.
Speaker 1: Or something. Wait, this is a quote. Wait. Wait to let you know. The reason why we're in this position is because I done some research. I made the phone calls. I talked to the proper people, said pastor Alvin Christian really in a sense deleted Facebook live video, are y'all tied in or partners with LGBQT whatever.
Speaker 2: I knew that wasn't going and they said yes.
Speaker 1: I'd done some more research and they said yes, sorry, that was still him. I'd done some more research and found out that they are part of the gay rights movement. He runs the Gods store House food bank in Bluefield, West Virginia, poorly, which until recently was serving over eight hundred families daily and eight thousand unique families every month across four Virginia and West Virginia counties. But in a video which was archived by another Facebook user, Christian shows bearshells, he notes that he's had a lot of messages and a lot of concerns wondering when and why we haven't given out food. As you can see, our cupboards are empty, our frasers are empty. We have nothing in the warehouse as far as food wise as of this.
Speaker 2: Moment, because but fuck them faggots though.
Speaker 1: Because it was dick sucking food, we don't use that.
Speaker 2: It sticks to your tonsils.
Speaker 1: He makes a clear connection between his face and his decision to reject food supplies from organizations that support the LGBTQ plus community. Well as a man of God and standing in face with God, I refuse to receive food from anybody that is tied into that. I make a stand right here, right now. That's why we haven't had no food here in a while, because I will not be part of a gay rights movement. Because the America is partnered up. Feeding America's the group with them, and I will not be with them. Feeding America is a nonprofit, nationwide network of food banks that tried to give this jerk off food. He then goes as far as to call gay people an abomination, the ones who tried to offer food. I refuse to be tied to something of that nature. That's totally an abomination against God.
Speaker 2: God said to feed the hungry.
Speaker 1: I no, he missed that part well. He appears to be punishing the local needy because of the perceived sin of his supplier. He wants to make it clear that he does not discriminate. Now hear this. I will not turn anybody away. You've got no food, Jack, guess. I will not discriminate against anybody.
Speaker 2: I will be honest.
Speaker 1: I will love you the same, I will pray for you. I will give you food if I got it.
Speaker 2: But it don't, butter don't because I'm a dickhead.
Speaker 1: The fuck.
Speaker 2: I can't even call it logic.
Speaker 1: There is none. There is none. Yeah, he is searching for a new food supplier who is not associated with LGBTQ plus people. Much of that hope seems to rest on God handling it for him. Capis in your prayers. Pray that God will open another door because the food belongs to him anyway. Well, then why didn't you accept it? If it belongs to God anyone, sweetie, why not take it and feed people, which is the only fucking reason you exist in the first goddamn place. You're a food Oh my God.
Speaker 2: Cut to two months when everyone wants a dick in their mill because at least it's something, because they're so hungry.
Speaker 1: It's protein. Oh my God. Always remember all you need is faith in God. I hope you starve to Oh they will. I hope he does. I hope he does.
Speaker 2: We'll see who means it.
Speaker 1: Sad for the people that were counting on his ministry, which is clearly conditional. I thought the whole Christian thing was supposed to be unconditional. Jesus the worst.
Speaker 2: Well, you better hope that whoever makes the aspirin doesn't support the lgbdkeys.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't care. I hope they do. I mean I want gay aspirin.
Speaker 2: There's an anal option.
Speaker 1: I won't pay sexual ibuprofen.
Speaker 2: Oh god, it cures everything.
Speaker 1: And in case you were wondering, once again, why we say stay away from hobby Lobby, they're funding the latest push to end marriage equality, Thank you very much. Conservatives announced a new campaign in January to end marriage rights for same sex couples. It turns out it's getting money from Hobby Lobby's founder, a group of forty seven anti LGBTQ plus organizations. They organize around us, around hating us. That is what they organize around, Like, really, people, you need a better hobby. The campaign, called Greater Than a response to the push for equality by claiming that straight people are greater than queer people. Oh know, they immediately got the media's attention. The Seattle Times has revealed that a key organization behind the Greater Than campaign is being funded by the conservative Christian business Hobby Lobby, the same business that got the Supreme Court to rule in twenty fourteen that for profit corporations don't have to pay for employees healthcare that covers contraception if that contraception goes against the corporation's religious beliefs. K Faust is the founder and president of them before US, an organization devoted to ending marriage rights for same sex couples in the US. Faust's mother is a lesbian who came out after marrying Faust's father, and her parents divorced when she was ten, So we have longand daughter.
Speaker 2: The fact that her name is Faust is so ironic. I know.
Speaker 1: She converted to Christianity of years later, when she was in high school. She insists that she didn't devote her life to attacking al rights out of some kind of resentment towards her mother. Yeah, yeah, did, although she now says she no longer considers her mother a parent. Of course, you don't. She's been campaigning against marriage rights since at least twenty twelve, when she started a blog called ask the Bigot. Oh It's funny gets you? Oh, I get it. A website she claimed would the notion that marriage rights opponents are bigots.
Speaker 2: But your Yeah, I know, but now I have a headache.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. She saw an opportunity for a renewed push after the Supreme Court overturned federal reproduction rates protections guaranteed and Rovy Wade in twenty twenty two, and this recent push is getting more funding than before US was founded in twenty eighteen. SIRS report shows that it received less than fifty thousand revenue for its first few years of operation before Rowe was overturned. In twenty twenty two, it received two hundred thousand and twenty twenty four that became nearly a million, and Foust collected a salary of one hundred and thirty five thousand dollars then before US. This filing show with three hundred thousand dollars donation from the Servant Foundation, a Christian organization funded by Hobby Lobby's founder David Green and his family.
Speaker 2: Oh it's the same organization behind those he gets us ads about Jesus that ran during the twenty twenty four and five I knew it. I knew it.
Speaker 1: Oh Hobby Lobby. Oh my god, in part Hobby Lobby. How's that? Yeah? So, oh my god, I knew it. Go to Michael's for Christ's sake. Yes, go to Michaels.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Now I need one of them. Queerbew profens, because say I.
Speaker 1: Need here too. I am this bitch, Fouls claims that marriage equality has made children's lives worse, contrary to what social science says on the matter.
Speaker 2: Oh, we don't go for that fancy book right now.
Speaker 1: She's Saturday March, uncloseted media interview that there is no right to adopt, but that children have a natural right to be known and loved by their mother and father, even if daddy loves them in inappropriate ways. I just I add at that part, I hate them the stupid it burns. Yeah. Democratic Ohio governor candidate Amy Acton scheduled a meeting with LGBTQ plus advocates and then didn't show up. Oh and by the way, she kicked out trans people who did. The meeting was supposed to be Acting's way of making up for calling trans girls boys. This is the Democrat. This is the Democrat running for governor. M Yeah, she has seen her relationship with a queer community go from bad to catastrophic. Weeks after she endorsed a transgender sports ban and called transgender girls boys. The fallout has been intense. The Ohio Democratic Party forced its own Progressive and Pride caucuses to delete their criticism. Really, yeah, the party. This is July nineteenth, banned criticism of Amy Acting calling trans girls boys wow, wow wow. She declared she would enforce Ohio sports ban, which she cast as a matter of fairness and kids health and safely the fuck up. Yeah, she sounds like Gavin Newsom. The rebuke from her own party was severe. The Ohio Democrats Progressive Caucus, an official advisory group of the state party, issued a blistering, pagelong statement, declaring that its members were now less willing to door knock for her before the post puzzling vanished shortly thereafter, prompting days of questions about why criticism of Actin's anti transtance had been scrubbed. After prodding by Erin in the morning, the caucus revealed the answer. The Ohio Democratic Party itself demanded the criticism be removed, effectively barring those within the party from publicly critiquing a major candidate's transphobia. I hate it here, so do I. So this was the meeting where I guess we're all gonna make nice, which I don't see how you do. I don't.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was a zoom meeting, was it?
Speaker 1: Let me say? A meeting? The campaign promised would begin repairing the damage, instead further inflame tensions inside. Sources who have gone public now say the listening session was a debacle. Actin did not show up. Her campaign manager barred Arian Childream, vice chair of the party's Pride Caucus, a transgender candidate for the Ohio House, and Ohio's first openly trans city council member, from even entering the zoom call okay, so shouldn't let her in where they didn't. When another advocate demanding to know why Childrey was barred, she was ejected. The chair of the Progressive Caucus, Kim McCarthy, was locked in the waiting room during the entire listening session, and in the end, the campaign ultimately refused to apologize for calling trans girls boys, refused to retract Acton's support for a transgender sports ban, and ended the meeting with no plans for what comes next.
Speaker 2: So they were just doing it because they were told to do something. They had no plan to do anything progressive or have any solutions.
Speaker 1: Or Childre said, myself and a number of other LGBTQ plus leaders were refused entry into a meeting we had been invited to attend. One trans advocate, Sarah Keaton, was booted from the meeting entirely just for pointing out the campaign's refusal to allow transleaders into the room when we were digitally locked out. It took the chair of the Pride Caucus calling my personal phone and putting me on live speakerphone inside the room just for my voice to be heard. According to notes obtained from a source who attended the meeting, the session opened with a blow Dwayne Steward of Equality Ohio reading what appeared to be a prepared statement announcing the organization was rescinding Acton's a rating on its LGBTQ Plus candidate scorecard. This is not about punishment, but partnership, he said. Harm has been done. Attacking trans people isn't just wrong, it is a losing strategy and it is idiot. From there, the meeting devolved. Multiple attendees demandaged to know why Childry had been barred from an event about the LGBTQ plus community. Campaign manager Philip Stein responded only that the meeting was mostly a space we want to listen to the folks that we picked here. When pressed on why the event, I swear to christ and they're not Republicans. A oh my god. When pressed on why the event had been titled a conversation rather than a one way listening session. Stein conceded that running this kind of meeting was not his area of expertise, and that he could only apologize for the way that the event was titled, So it was never meant to be a conversation, you dirty bitches. In the aftermath of the meeting, multiple attendees went public with their accounts say I was shocked. I could not have prepared myself for the sheer contempt the campaign's staff demonstrated toward Pride and Progressive Caucus leaders and the hundreds of grassroots constituents we represent when they kicked the Pride Caucus vice chairwoman from the meeting without a chance to speak. It was as shocking as watching a friend be physically assaulted in front of me. I mean, when they retaliated against our trans rights advocate for the crime of demanding an explanation. I was forced to abandon hope of rationalizing the original Act and recognized it for what it was, intentional targeted suppression of minorities, a preview into a future act, and administration drunk with power, unbeholden to the people, believe you know, believing behind closed doors it is safe to shed its sheepskin. Well you know what, ooh, you know what, Republicans are not going to reward her for baseline levels of transphobia. The Republican opponement, I believe, will run ads against her when any number of trans issues regardless. What this anti trans turn does is depressed turnout among Ohio's LGBTQ plus voters and allies in a race separated by less than a single percentage point. She's cutting her own throat.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Republican is going to win in Ohio. Yes, she's guaranteed it. So I don't you know, I wonder if that was the plan all along? Yeah? Yeah, she has given Ohios LGBTQ plus community every reason to believe that she would govern exactly the way her campaign has conducted itself, with the people she claims to represent locked in the waiting room. There you go. So that's why I was going to have a Republican governor. Yep, because the Democrats not a Democrat.
Speaker 2: Nope.
Speaker 1: And she shot herself in the foot yep, God damn it. So I want to wrap up with those one oh mega men are fleeing women for all male gyms, and somehow calling it straight was in the Advocate. Apparently working out next to women is so tempting. These guys just have to pack into the sauna together tempting. Didn't we call these bathhouses?
Speaker 2: I know I did. I'm like, this is not a new idea. Who wants to tell them? I suspect they already know.
Speaker 1: One of the most commonplaces affairs and infidelity begin is the gym. Uh huh. God called meet to create a different kind of space where men can grow stronger physically and spiritually without the distractions of lust and temptation. Uh huh, yes, because Christian men famously never succumbed to luster or temptation for men, especially not at the gym.
Speaker 2: Mommy daddy goes to the gym twice a day every day. How come he still has a gut and no ass I know his next getting bigger though? Sorry?
Speaker 1: Wow? Oh god?
Speaker 2: Oh shit?
Speaker 1: And why does the echo when he want.
Speaker 2: How did you learn that, lady Gagasa?
Speaker 1: I swear I read something right after that that like they've already you know, banned some members for you know.
Speaker 2: Fucking in the locker room.
Speaker 1: Uh huh yeah, yeah, this is like, it's hilarious.
Speaker 2: It really really is fucking hilarious. It really really is.
Speaker 1: As grinder goes off, and you know, come one, boys, uh, this is the logic they use O ship.
Speaker 2: You know what I want to do?
Speaker 1: This is it?
Speaker 2: I think I want to start like I want to get the grinder notification sound just isolated and just walk into a room full of men and just play at once and see how many people check their phone.
Speaker 1: Right, it's a thing. It's a thing. Oh yeah, they maga. Men are creating bath houses for themselves to the temptation of women, which they do anyway because they hate women. Uh huh, by and large and many of them are not anyway anyway, that's happening.
Speaker 2: It's happening, yo, bro, what Jim do you go to the white swallow?
Speaker 1: Let's just I can't. I can't do it anymore. Take another break. We'll be right back and we'll cleanse ballets. Please, We'll be right back.
Speaker 4: Hello everyone, Welcome to Life Spot a Song, a bi weekly podcast likes to live in the land of musicals. I'm your host, John, and this podcast delves into musical movies, musical TV shows, and sometimes filmed stage productions. Don't worry how we watch these with a special guest or two or more. Tune into your life's put a song wherever you're listening to this podcast, and be sure to rate, subscribe, and follow the socials at Puttasungpod and have a musical day.
Speaker 1: And we're back. Qu're back, Cat cat pow m hm. I'm gonna let you start a song.
Speaker 2: Oh so they're canceling wonder Man, like season two is not gonna happen.
Speaker 1: I didn't know there was a wonder Man.
Speaker 2: Wonder Man was great. It starred Yahya abdul Matine the second and uh, you've seen his penis? Have I? Yes?
Speaker 1: I enjoy Watchman.
Speaker 2: Yes, remember the blue Dude, the naked blue dude with Regina.
Speaker 1: King saw his dick kind of yeah, trust me. Anyway, I have seen a lot of dick and my.
Speaker 2: Dad passed three hundred.
Speaker 1: Well, this was like five years ago. I only remember the one I need to remember. Well that's good a married woman.
Speaker 2: Man, good answer.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I don't remember.
Speaker 2: I'm not surprised that wonder Man got canceled. I'm mad, but I'm not surprised because no, he was not. Okay, wonder Man was about like it's.
Speaker 1: There is no season two, there is no season too.
Speaker 2: Wonder Man. The care briefly about, right, is he's a character. He has like this superpower where like he can release this energy from his body whenever he like gets stressed, he can like just release any like explode shit. And so the the theme of this series was basically he was an actor who was trying to like make his way in Hollywood mm hm, as a black man who wanted to like have loftier roles than just like you know, hood number three on the left right, you know. And he was classically trained and he like really like cared about the process and everything, but he was trying to keep his powers a secret because there was this rule in Hollywood that you can't have superpowers because this one dude fucked it up for everyone. So it was like this interesting character study about a young actor trying to like make it in Hollywood and trying to get his big break and like his family getting tired of him saying, my big break is coming. It's coming. I swear. I know you're tired of paying for shit, but I swear it's coming. Like it was all this was happening.
Speaker 1: And it's not coming now.
Speaker 2: And it ended on a cliffhanger that yeah, and it was like there was a glimmer of like hope and and that's kind of how I knew that it was. I was like, if this makes it to season two, I will be thrilled and surprised. Okay, it was a different kind of I didn't It was a different kind of role for yah yah, and I was really enjoyed people. Some people said it was boring, okay, and I get it in that if you're looking for a traditional superhero story where like it's flashing lights and people blowing shit up in big fights. It's not that it's not. It wasn't meant to be there. You had to like pay attention and shit right there. I know, but I thought it was interesting. I wasn't the only one. But you know, it's a shame they love to act shit. That's good. Meanwhile, there's like eight seasons of shit on Netflix that you didn't even know was a thing until like season eight premiering on Wednesday, and you're like, what the fuck what? I never heard of this before.
Speaker 1: There's lots I haven't heard of it didn't wonder man, No, idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: I liked it well, I was only watching it on my lunch breaks at work, so I never like actually talked to you about it. That was then, But it's a shame.
Speaker 1: One glimmer of hope came out of Cat's The Angelical Ball. They are releasing a cast album, yes, through Atlantic Records, because that we were mentioning of all the things that they haven't done or won't get to do, it was one of them. So that's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy about that.
Speaker 1: I am too.
Speaker 2: Were don't play the fuck out of that because I am Those children sang their faces off, and I swear to god, if they have the interlude where the one kid goes I thought it was cud I will fall over.
Speaker 1: We'll gon find out.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna use it as my text message notification.
Speaker 1: And final performance is still Saturday, August Ay. Yep, married everyone, Yeah, marred everyone.
Speaker 2: But I saw a video of of the cast members expressing their excitement over the fact that they're going to get to do this cast album.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, sure, I love it. So The Vampireless it's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we finished this the season of The Vampireless thatat what did you think.
Speaker 1: It sucks?
Speaker 2: Same m hm. I'm excited now because they're going to come back with the Queen of the Damned.
Speaker 1: Right, So it's returning, we think, right something Yeah, Queen of the Damned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm excited and that's gonna be some ship because that's when a Kasha goes rip shit riot ah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's when it gets good good Okay.
Speaker 2: But I am grateful to the Vampireless that for providing a wonderful soundtrack, right, because that music was good, well, most of that music was good. It was the first couple of songs. I was like, what is this bullshit?
Speaker 1: But no, some of it was really good, really good. Yeah, so that's over for now. This is all you.
Speaker 2: Oh, for fuck's sake. So the big thing with RuPaul's drag race down Under versus the world, so Australia, so it's like the Australian Queens versus like the other franchises, and raven Is was competing and it was like this big thing because raven is RuPaul's makeup artist and everything. But it's like, well, RuPaul doesn't judge down Under anymore. She passed the Reins one to Michelle Vassar, so there wasn't a conflict of interest. And then there was a twist. Raven's not a contestant, she's a judge.
Speaker 1: Oh she like yeah, and everyone's like or I knew it.
Speaker 2: Or like this is dumb, like that those are the three because they're trying to drum up eyes and and there was like this whole thing years ago with All Stars three when Bibi Zahara Binet, who won season one, was a contestant and everyone was like, she's a mole. You just wait, she's a mole. She's not really competing and and she's and that ended up not being true. But they've been waiting for that to be a thing for so long that they made it happen with Raven and it was met with a resounding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's all.
Speaker 2: And the other bit of drag race news that you actually cared about a tiny little bit.
Speaker 1: So I'm not sure about that, but a try.
Speaker 2: Kennedy Davenport is having a big birthday celebration at a club and there doing this big show, and the lineup for the show was released and Channgela was on it, and so queens started dropping out, left, right and sideways because they refused to be associated with her.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And Kennedy even came up with with a statement. She was like, I didn't cast it, so I know.
Speaker 1: So is she officially canceled? Now? Is that the deal? Angela?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's this is the cancel.
Speaker 1: I liked her for a long time. And you know why, I don't want I do know why when we were having quite, when she was chilling for the White Man, Yes, when we were having quite, the kerfuffle at one of the the gay bars in Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: That's changed hands three times since then.
Speaker 1: Basically Chandela was scheduled to perform and instead of you know, being in solidarity with the people that were hurt. And this is back when daryld D Piano was the owner and said the end word repeatedly and repeatedly, and somebody captured it on video.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it had just released that time. Yeah, it had just leased that day.
Speaker 1: Right, it was either that day, right, everything was fresh. There were protesters out front, yes, and Changela arrives and rather than just go, oh no, I'm getting back on the plane, she decided that she would come into this complicated ongoing situation and she would bring everyone together, right, why don't you fuck yourself?
Speaker 2: I'd have performed out front for the protesters.
Speaker 1: Well, that would have been that at least might have been a something I could have gotten behind. But when she went on and performed and then she she started this kumbayas shit when she didn't know anything about anything. We'll see just so she got her coin, I was like, you know what, whatever.
Speaker 2: I gave her a slight pass. I didn't on that one only because I was like, all right, there's no telling how far in advanced this gig was booked. Okay, fine girl, get your coin.
Speaker 1: You have got a bunch of brown bodies, I know, walking in a circle in front of the door. Did you bother to esk?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 1: I'm not even sure you did.
Speaker 2: The moment that I was officially done in fuck her was when she came back to the club, to the same club. That's when I was like, oh, you really don't care.
Speaker 1: I fuck you all right, because it's like we know we can get her.
Speaker 2: So get her, right, yeah, And that's when I said in that crowded bar, I was like, Channgela is a fucking coon, and everyone went and it was like I said what I said.
Speaker 1: There's still such they're still static around the whole thing and around the people and around the allegiances and you know with the white people whisper.
Speaker 2: And I'm tired of it that and even why she's canceled now?
Speaker 1: But yes, he was like two owners ago. Yeah, why is she canceled? And now it's just because she is.
Speaker 2: There are several many allegations against her that she has uh sexually assaulted others, yeah, fans and yeah, like drug people and and and like she bill cosbats some people. Is basically the story.
Speaker 1: Great, yeah, great, so good, she's canceled. Yeah, I didn't like her that much anyway. Well that was the thing she's always gotten on my nurse. And she was part of that HBO show too, We're Here, We're Here.
Speaker 2: She was part of that, Yeah, with a Eureka and Bob, And Bob won't say anything about her good or indifferent?
Speaker 1: Right, I wonder why, like nothing part like everything, you won't speak out against that if you know it's true.
Speaker 2: Every time she comes up, he's like, I'm not speaking on that. And I'm thinking maybe he might know something and he might be involved in a legal thing, so he can't that. I'm thinking that might be what it is.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe because if someone sued, Yeah, yeah, it could be because I mean they were working together and somebody could sue them all and say, you knew, right. That could be.
Speaker 2: Because he did a whole thing on his YouTube channel about controversial queens and ranked them in order of their offensiveness, and he was like, Changelo, I'm not going to talk about her right now, So just I'm putting here, I'm mentioning her because making this list, was she number one? No?
Speaker 5: I think that might have been Sharon, Oh, Sharon Needle. But yeah, well anyway, anyway, yeah, there's that.
Speaker 2: I when speaking of Eureka comes out, She's going to be portraying Divine in a one woman show about Divine's life off Broadway, and I'd.
Speaker 1: Be like, Carrie, I don't even he who that is? That is that a person you think is talented.
Speaker 2: I am not a fan of Eureka. I never kind of have been. She's problematic and she's just extra for the sake of being an extra, and apparently other queens have been. There are many different kinds of relationships surrounding her. I'll say that and everyone's like, oh, well, she's been dying to perform Divine for years. She did her on Snatch Game and I'm like, yeah, and I saw so did you?
Speaker 1: I heard it badly? It's not good. So actually this falls under who cares?
Speaker 2: Right, because I saw someone say, oh, she looks just like her, this is going to be great. I'm like, she still has to like speak and say words and shit.
Speaker 1: So so because we went to see Hades Town. Yes, we watched the pro shot of Along, which is on Netflix with Jonathan Groff, Daniel Radcliffe. Daniel Radcliffe and so what did you think?
Speaker 2: I mean?
Speaker 1: I I don't love it. I like a old friend. I like that song. I don't hate it, but I don't love it.
Speaker 2: It's that period of not Sondheim's best but he's Sonheim. Yeah, same ilk as Company, which I love.
Speaker 1: You love Company? So you like Company, but you doesn't like Merrily.
Speaker 2: What you're saying, Yeah, it's like Sondheim was in his like, look how clever I am?
Speaker 1: Bag and right.
Speaker 2: It's a little pretentious, but I mind it so much less with Company than I did with Merrily we Roll Along.
Speaker 1: But he didn't. Company doesn't go backwards, does it?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Merrily we Roll Along goes backwards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it was. I I am glad I saw it. I don't know that I'll watch it again like I've seen Company like dozens of times. I don't know I'm going to go back and watch Merrily We roll along and.
Speaker 1: It makes this version makes better sense than some. But still, yeah, it's it's a it's a it's a weird what do.
Speaker 2: We call that device?
Speaker 1: Device? Yeah, I didn't love it. I don't hate it, but I didn't love it.
Speaker 2: It wasn't as effective as it could have been.
Speaker 1: I think I wanted to see, Well you didn't go when I went to the theater. I went with my cousin, and it was essentially the same show. Nothing was clearer or less clearer. Having watched it on Netflix, it exists. I won't watch it again, but we saw it. But yeah, and then we did watch Ain't Misbehaving on YouTube because yes, we're.
Speaker 2: Going to be revisiting our buddy John over at Life Spud a Song podcast, and we're going to talk about Ain't Misbehaviors. Yes, my favorite.
Speaker 1: Musical, so we can talk musical.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love it. My introduction to Andre and I loved Fats Waller growing up, so This was like fabulous for me.
Speaker 1: Now Carter at her best. Yeah, it's it's a good show. It's a good show, Ken Page, yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so many like like that whole cast went on to have great careers.
Speaker 1: Oh what's her name from Pose?
Speaker 2: Oh Charlene Woodard.
Speaker 1: Charlene Woodard, Yes, a young Charlayne Water. I'm that young though she wouldn't do it much younger than the other ones. But she looked at just dinner. Yeah, so she looked like the child. But yeah, she's Folks may remember her as the dance instructor in Pose, but she is in a Miss b Yeah.
Speaker 2: She's the the first thing I saw her in after Ain't Miss Behaven. I mean, she's been in so many things. The first thing I remember seeing her and she played Roseanne's one of Roseanne's good friends.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: She would show up every now and again on Roseanne and I'd be like, oh, Charlie Woodard.
Speaker 1: Was she a friend or was she married to his friend? As I think about it.
Speaker 2: Well, her husband was Dan's friend and she was sort of because of.
Speaker 1: That, right, but he was the buddy and she was the wife of the buddy. Yes, ye, yep, yep. But you know, it was fun. It was fun to see it again and remember seeing it in real time or you know, when it was out wherever the hell it was, PBS or whoever did it because of nel Carter, because she was at her prime at that point, you know, with with giving me a break and they were doing this and it was it was yeah, and Andre was so young, right, I mean, not that young, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that show so much. And we're gonna watch it again before we go in the podcast because.
Speaker 1: No, yes, okay, we can do it again, dang it. I mean, and you.
Speaker 2: Can actually watch it this time.
Speaker 1: I did watch it.
Speaker 2: You spend some of your time wigipeding people.
Speaker 1: And we saw it recently the show itself and performed live. Mm hmm, we did. This was a good refresher. But if you want to watch it one more time, we've got to fit that in before we sit down on Sunday. So I guess we should probably wrap this up so we can go watch more television.
Speaker 2: We've been doing a lot of musical theater lately.
Speaker 1: I love it. Yeah, it's fun, it is fun, but.
Speaker 2: You know it's also fun. What podcast business. Okay, let's do that. If you haven't already, why don't you swing on by Apple Podcasts, goodpods, YouTube, or wherever you enjoy our show and leave us a review or a rating, or hit that subscribe button five stars and more. Please follow us on social at Full Circle the Pod on Instagram, threads and blue Sky, and Full Circle the Podcast on TikTok. You can follow Martha at Imartha Madrigal everywhere. Her writing can be found at i Ammarthamadrigal dot WordPress dot com. I am at never Scurred Everywhere. If you have a story, idea, or some gossip, or just want to say hi and tell us we're doing a great job, drop us a line at ask Full Circlepod at gmail dot com. We'd love to hear from you. Explore our new web store and get your own piece of Full Circle the Podcast merchandise. Just go to our website, Full Circlethepod dot com and click shop our merch There's bound to be something to suit your style. Join our Patreon Patreon dot com slash Full Circle Thepod starting at just a three dollars a month. Here you get access to all of our episodes add free and before everyone else, and it only gets better from there. It's fun over at the Patreon. You can also check out our Discord channel, Full Circle the Podcast podcast Business over Yay.
Speaker 1: I think that's all I've got for this time.
Speaker 2: Good enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's like stories pop and I'm already writing next week's notes or right next months notes. However this works, oh stop because they won't it us alone, I know. Yeah, So I'm gonna go make dinner. Yay, yay, because yeah, that's my career attenda.
Speaker 2: Thank goodness.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to Full Circle the Podcast. I am your host Martha Madrigal and.
Speaker 2: I am your host Charles Tyson.
Speaker 1: Thanks sall, bye everyone.
Speaker 2: Full Circle is a Never Scurred Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, produced and edited by Never Scurred Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Berries. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders.