Speaker 1: He'll be a don't be bad. It's the Internet. You're busy. Let's do this for December second, twenty twenty four. For the next hour or so, let me help you sort through the world of gaming. Game Mess Mornings Live with me Jeff Grubb. Today the industry comes out of its Thanksgiving slumber with ripoffs and delistings. But first, please join me in welcoming today's co host to Game Mess Mornings. It's Emma Fife. Everybody, Emma, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: Hello, I'm you know, it's it's getting to be the end of the year. And the thing about the month of December being now is that, you know what they try to fit in about a month and a half's work of work into about maybe three weeks of work.
Speaker 3: So that's, uh, yeah, that's where I'm at.
Speaker 2: I'm in that end of year, uh, that end of your crunch rush, et cetera.
Speaker 3: It's good, like it's all good stuff, but I will I will be glad to have a holiday brink. Let's put it that way.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, it's it's it's a lot, it's it all does have to get like somehow snugged into a lot less time than it needs for sure. But it does remind me when I used to work at the FedEx warehouse during the holidays and I would I would sleep there because it would just we could be going constantly. So uh, yeah, it's a busy time of year. Uh. And yeah, like you said, exciting stuff. We were looking forward to doing GB at night of course coming up the day before the Game Awards. Uh then you know our pre show, our our handoff to the to mister Keeley show right before the Game Awards. It's gonna be a good time. Really really looking forward to all that, especially you know, I should be looking forward to it because it basically is happening any minute now week.
Speaker 3: It really truly is it truly?
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 3: I know, I'm I'm definitely fully at that.
Speaker 2: Like starting next week, for example, like I will be building our set for Giant Bomb at night on Monday, you know what I mean. Like I'm doing that build a week from today. So yeah, it's it's it's all, it's all coming up. I picked up some props for the background yesterday.
Speaker 1: So I'm excited about it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Other than that, you've been keeping up on any games? I am. I got to the point where it's just so many different like barely started things all falling out of my eyes. I just decided, like, I'll pick one that it isn't out yet, so I'm like, I can get ahead of the curve on at least one of these.
Speaker 3: Sure, I totally get that. Right now, what am I playing?
Speaker 2: I got a copy of Lorelei and the Laser Eyes for PlayStation. I got a code for that. It is December second, so I can say that I did.
Speaker 3: I haven't.
Speaker 2: I have not had a chance to start it though, because I was away for Thanksgiving and just working on a bunch of stuff. But I'm very excited to play that because I I've heard really good things about that game and I never got around to it.
Speaker 3: So when they said, hey, you want a PlayStation code, I said, sure do.
Speaker 2: And then right now I am playing a thousand times.
Speaker 1: Resist Oh yeah, a lot of people are checking out right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's uh, it's I'm like, I'm in I'm very I'm very intrigued by what's going on. So uh yeah, I've been enjoying that so far. I'm only just finishing chapter one, so uh but it's still it's.
Speaker 1: Great and Jan very excited that you're checking out that good.
Speaker 3: Good yet, I'm glad. I'm glad that you're happy about my gaming choices.
Speaker 1: I did boot up Laura li in the Laser Eyes on my Steam this morning, and then I didn't didn't touch it. I got I'm like, I should be getting ready for the show instead. So I views and some reviews of Infinity Nikki, which apparently reviews coming after that. We'll talk about that in a little bit. I have access to that. We should stream it on the saite. We should just do that. That's how that's what we should do this week. It's some Infinity Nikki. But yeah, it's uh, it's kind of all out like trying to catch up on some games. But that I'm like, I don't know, I'm really what all I want to be doing is going back and doing those levels in Astrobot. Yeah, but I can't. I can never justify that, So I don't know. Maybe maybe Michael just say, hey, let's play more Call of Duty and I'll jump in on that.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: All right, let's explain what we do here most weekdays, I Jeff Grubb, will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you were watching live on twitch welcome, You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mess Mornings, or find the RSS on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with this wild copy of Horizon zero Don is just begging for Sony to sue. This comes from John Walker at Kotaku. As Nintendo gears up to take down Powell World for its aping of Pokemon game design elements, another high profile court case seems inevitable with ten cents announcement of Light of I never even tried to say this out lout. It's here, light of Motoram, Motorum, Motoram. I'm gonna say, motorva, yeah mad, a game that looks uncannily similar to Sony's Horizon zero Don. To be clear, we're not saying, oh hey, that kind of reminds us of Horizon. This is a more more a oh my good Lord, what are they thinking? This is outrating?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Light of Motoram is one of those cases where you feel safe to type the words complete ripoff without worrying about any of without worry about getting a letter from someone lawyers. Yeah, that's the kind of I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, whoa, I did, and I this kind of like glazed by me because I think I saw this and I thought, why is there like Horizon news happening right now. I thought we didn't have any new Horizon games right now, or I thought it was like, oh, it's coming to some other platform or getting some update.
Speaker 3: I did not realize it was fully a different game.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I just put the image up on the video. So anyone watching the video feed that image right there is not of Horizon. That image is of Light of the Motoram. And you, I don't blame you for me. I'm like, no, Jeff, that's Horizon. It's not. It's not. This is there's just several examples here where it's just so you could see here, like, let me bring it up here, Kataky. This one's from ten cent. Yes, like the game. Uh, Emma. I am someone who is a little bit of a defender of copying ideas from other people. I should I believe. I believe, like in fashion where it's like it's a knockoff business, video games thrive when everyone could just steal ideas from everyone else, and then occasionally a ripoff comes along where I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, holy, yeah, so okay, let's let's take the example of Pow World. Yes, obviously this is a Pokemon ripoff sort of wherein there's different game mechanics. It is taking the idea of Pokemon and it's subverting it. It's not just doing Pokemon again. That would just be here's another game where you're a child who, for whatever reason, is ten years old and being sent off into the world on your own to fend for yourself in a world that actually is inhabited by monsters, and you got to and you have to figure out ways to make your own disposable income in order to care for your monsters and survive.
Speaker 3: That would be a ripoff of Pokemon.
Speaker 2: This one has guns, so it's it's different.
Speaker 3: It's different.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, exactly like gorgeran Chat says, it should be predected as parody.
Speaker 3: I agree, it is a parody.
Speaker 2: Oh ye, this is a look I and I'm with you that, like, I think that there are a lot of really good games ideas because no idea is original. Okay, there's been too many years of the world. Somebody else has already had that idea. It's the thing that I would always say in podcasting workshops, panels at conventions when I would be on them, was yes, the podcast you want to do?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: And a lot and largely this was like an anime convention, so I was like, I want to do a pods about dragon Ball or whatever, right, And I'm like, yes, there's a bunch of those, but what it's missing is your voice.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I think that that happens in gaming a lot as well. Of Yes, this game is very similar to this other one. However, it has a different perspective, it has a different uh you know, art style, whatever the case may be, there's something original about it.
Speaker 3: This is just a straight Horizon clone.
Speaker 1: It looks like, Yeah, so there are some gameplay differences because hey, it's a mobile game. It's about survival and crafting a little bit more than Horizon zero done every once. But there is a Horizon zero done online multiplayer game coming. I bet that has survival whatever. Though, really they're doing kind of very similar what they did with Genschen Impact or what happened, Like, it's very similar to what happened with Genchen Impact for sure, where like, hey, we're trying to evoke Zelda Breath of the Wild here, and this one's like, oh, we're going to veer even closer to trying to be exactly like the thing that inspac Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that that's the thing is that, Yes, obviously you look at Genchen and initially it was very much a Breath of the Wild clone in terms of.
Speaker 1: Just the way that present.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Very first that very first impression was this will help us get get the attention if people are like, hey, that looks a lot like a mobile Breath of the Wild.
Speaker 2: Correct, correct, But ultimately the game is a live service game.
Speaker 3: It's continued to grow and it is.
Speaker 2: Not Breath of the Wild at all, Like it's not a one to one of Oh, and if it were trying to be that, then it would then it would just be a cheap.
Speaker 3: Breath of the Wild knockoff.
Speaker 2: But it's become a lot more than Even from the beginning of the launch of Genchen Impact, there was always the oh, you have a team of four characters who you can circle through.
Speaker 3: The combat was extremely.
Speaker 2: Different, Like there was a lot that was making Gensen different from Breath of the Wild.
Speaker 3: It's the same thing.
Speaker 2: There was a Ubisoft game that was it was like a mythology one. I'm totally blanking on what the actual title of the game was, Immortal something like that.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Somebody in chat I'm sure we'll remember.
Speaker 2: But it was a similar thing where it evoked the idea of Breath of the Wild, this big, colorful open world Phoenix Rising, Thank you so much Immortals Phoenix Rising, which actually I thought was a very fun game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: But again, it's like bringing up a like evoking that idea of something that is familiar, but ultimately not being the same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I and I, you know, I think there should be a wide sort of door that developer can walk through with these borrowed ideas and borrowed aesthetics and presentations the aditial like first impressions that they're trying to make by saying, hey, we want you to think of this game when you see our game, and that door should be very wide so that people can get through with a lot of things that are very similar to other things, so that the maybe the ounce of new ideas that they do have can have an umbrella under which to thrive. And I think that probably should cover this as well. Like I show against Shameless and uh and I feel a little embarrassed looking at it, But so what. At a certain point, I think that like a lot of other mobile games, uh this, you know, when we look back in five years, if this thing is successful, it will have also changed in a number of ways and will be like remember when this thing just looked like Horizon? Uh yeah, So yeah, I mean, if Sony wants to do something about it, that is also their right. If I were them, I wouldn't. I think this thing's already been able to get a lot more attention just from all this, and you know, good for them. At a certain point. Yeah, I think it's you know, it is creatively bankrupt. But again, so what, I just won't spend my time on it if that's how I feel, and if other people feel differently, I kind of don't want to stop them from being like, hey, maybe this mobile version is more my speed. I don't know, go play it. Yeah, all right, let's go move along here. Lego James Bond footage allegedly leaks, but don't expect to see it get made. This is from Darren Bond th Use at GameSpot. Several big film franchises have gotten lego video game adaptations over the years, and at one point developer TT Games was reported looking to leave players shaken but not stirred pretty good with a lego James Bond adventure. A sizzle reel for a proposed game starring the British secret agent briefly surfaced online, although it has since been taken down from YouTube. According to their original poster via euro Gamer, Caeser was randomly leaked on a discord server less than a minute long. The video shows off action inspired by decades of James Bond films, from Goldfinger to Casino Royale, as you'd expect from a lego game that would have been further developed by TT Games. The proposed project looks like it would have included a cheeky sense of humor, with one example in the video being Goldfinger's main henchman Odd Job, having an arsenal of hats to fling at Bond. Yeah, so it's it's like like that would have been a very very cool thing, I think to a certain extent, but also like I don't need everything to have a Lego game some kind of in betting on this one. I know.
Speaker 2: It's very funny looking at chat right now because there's a lot of talk about Lego misogyny because James Bond.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: The thing is is, I do I think that they are a good example by which to lead your life, particularly in regards to the way you treat women and minorities.
Speaker 3: Absolutely not. But I love James Bond. I would have loved a James Bond Lego game.
Speaker 1: I could have had fun with that where it's like, onto my next Adventure and it's just the woman from the last one, but she like just changes her hair, changed her hair, so interchangeable they are or something like that. Yeah, they could have poked fun at that, but a hundred for time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing is like the Lego games do poke fun at the thing that they are about, yes and so and again it's like I would want.
Speaker 3: This, but I don't know. Lego does a clever job of like.
Speaker 2: Making their games kid appropriate by having very subtle humor. And yeah, I mean I think that it would be pretty funny. Yeah, I think that James Bond actually would be a great candidate for Lego Games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does sound like that is very unlikely to happen. The Lego group wasn't convinced due to the Bond films being violent and full of sexual innuindo themes that went against the family friendly nature of the company. The Lego group these days seems more willing to try different things in games, so it could potentially be revisited. Lego Game Museum on Reddit set in a separate comment, the biggest barrier for t T would be Warner Brothers forcing them to stick to owned IP right. That's uh, James Bond is a Metro you know, MGM, Amazon GM, and that is not Warner Brothers, at least not yet. Give it time, give it a couple of years when they're all in their own.
Speaker 3: Company.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah, I believe that Warner Brothers would be like, yes, let's just stick to the many many IP that we're trying to promote. Uh. And they've done a lot of that. They've got they've really just ransacked all the DC universe and Harry Potter and stuff like that. I guess I'm not sure what else they could do to do a No Rocky is also MGM, isn't it trying to think of a Warner Brothers franchise.
Speaker 3: Like Brothers franchise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, kind of they kind of gotten like the couple there and that set. Yeah, so I think that I would love to ce t t continue to try different stuff.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: At the same time, they probably are like, hey, these games are taking longer than ever. Look at Star Wars, the last one, which did very, very well. It was one of the one of the best selling games of the year it came out. But you know, that means each one is a huge bet and you got to like get it right. And I think the days of them being able to like take these sort of creative chances with the with the the model that they're using is probably over and we just get the very safe ones, and you know, they start Star Wars and they maybe do Harry Potter and maybe maybe they go to Indiana Jones if like the new Indiana Jones game does very well or something like that. But yeah, I don't know. Outside of that, I think it's unlikely we get something as even as interesting as James Bond, and I think that's only limitedly interesting. Yeah, we'll see. Uh, what's the weirdest, like leg or Lego sort of game that you think you could you would they could get away with, or that you would want.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to like, well, yeah, I mean I have to give seven credits. Yeah, who said in chat?
Speaker 3: I'm trying to I'm trying to. Okay, So we have Lego Highlander in news.
Speaker 1: Okay, sure, oh it.
Speaker 2: Was It was Nylock, And I'm sorry if it's nill Lock, my brother. If you spell Collin backwards, it's essentially the same thing. And we always said Nylock. Uh. Lego Dune is something that I think you could get away with because again Warner owns it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. True, Yeah, Lego Oppenheimer, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Lego Lego Barbie piece to.
Speaker 1: Piece building a nuclear device? Yeah, sure, why not? Uh all right. Triangle Strategy has been delisted from the Nintendo e Shop. This is from Chris Scullion at VGC. Critically acclaimed tactical RPG, Triangle Strategy has been delisted from the Nintendo E Shop. A post on the official Square Enix account on Twitter confirmed that the game is temporarily unavailable and that while it's set to return, there's no confirmed date for this yet. Triangle Strategy is temporarily unavailable to purchase on Nintendo Switch E Shop. The message reads, those who have already bought the game will be able to download it. We are working on this and will update when the game is able to be purchased again. This isn't the first time a Square Enix RPG has been delisted from the shop. In March, Octopath Traveler was removed from the e Shop, but it took more than six weeks to return, as is the case now. Score Innix didn't provide a reason for Active Octopath Travelers delisting, but it was speculated that it may have been related to score Inix recently acquiring the publishing rights for the game as they lapsed from Nintendo. So basically, what very likely happened here is Nintendo in some territories, maybe all territories published these games on behalf of Scoring inx on the Switch, and those rights laps eventually and they revert over to Square Innix, and then Square Inox needs to publish the game, like republish the game. I guess maybe that's part of the agreement what's always way and weird is well you knew that was coming, right, you do this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly? Couldn't you have been prepared for that?
Speaker 1: Well? Why why it takes six weeks in that one case? Is it gonna take six weeks? Again? That's crazy?
Speaker 3: Just I don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because in you know, both cases this was with uh a Nintendo property or a Nintendo published game. So it does make me wonder if it has something to do with a Nintendo Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, like, and there's possibilities that like, hey, we would love to have been ready for this. We're actually we were legally prevented from doing work like like submitting it for certification or something like that. Yep, So we have to start all that stuff from scratch right now. Maybe I doubt it. Maybe I doubt it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, again, I don't know. It's just a it's just a light speculation, curiosity, shall we say? But yeah, I mean obviously they if the publishing rights.
Speaker 3: Have lapsed there now theirs.
Speaker 2: In a few more weeks, they'll be able to push it and then it'll probably turn up on more platforms.
Speaker 1: Do you ever play Triangle Strategy? It's one word I sure did, Yeah, you like it?
Speaker 3: I did. Yeah, I liked.
Speaker 2: The thing about Triangle Strategy was like I loved the politics, I loved the world. I found the main characters who I was following to be a little lackluster. Like that to me is what made it not live up to something like a Final Fantasy Tactics.
Speaker 3: But overall, I did like Triangle Strategy. I liked the gameplay.
Speaker 2: I love strategy RPGs, you know, so I was Yeah, I did enjoy it. I just kind of it didn't fully keep my attention because the main characters I felt like they didn't really get enough development, and sometimes there was way too much jumping around the map to be like, here's what's happening in this corner of the world, and it's like, okay, I kind of like to get back to the actual game.
Speaker 1: Right. There's a Medaquest version of Triangle Strategy there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw that too.
Speaker 1: That's we that's I kind of want to try this.
Speaker 3: That's why I know we do have a metaquest. So yeah, you know, Gabe can keep boxing and I'll just uh huh play a Triangle Strategy.
Speaker 1: Man. I like it because it's like you're playing around with little the two d sprites on a diorama and you're just moving them around. That's that's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just like physically move them as if they were chess pieces.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I might. I might give that a shot. I have this on Steam and I meant to play it. I'm a tactics fan. I would like to spend some time with this. Ok Ye, I'm gonna I'll give that a shot. Maybe we'll do another rodeo or something. Everybody all right, Uh, let's see that. I do. Oh yes, this next one is also a delisting story. Let's do that one first. All NASCAR video games are being delisted from digital stores next month. This is from Jordan Midler at VEG. All NASCAR video games are being delisted from digital storefronts next month. This is due to the fact that Motorsport Games, the company that handles the rights to the popular racing league, recently sold the NASCAR license to I Racing. NASCAR twenty five has planned to release next year on all consoles in PC. This change effects around fifteen games, most of which are console titles. Ahead of the delisting, it's been announced that the games will undergo a discount in the next month, so the players can purchase the games they are missing. After the games are delisted, players will still be able to play their previously purchased games. It's just always a weird thing. I mean, this is a the whole league, I guess is being licensed to a different to a different company. But I'm sure there's like issues like licensing the vehicles themselves and things like that. There's probably a lot of sub licensing deals that make this even more complicated, which always does seem to happen with vehicle based games. Cars. It's weird, it's annoying.
Speaker 2: If they have any sort of basis in reality, then yes, because you know, you're you're talking about cars that exist in real life, that have real life sponsors. So there's a lot of different uh licensers involved basically, So that's uh, look, this is this is not my particular realm of video games. When it comes to racing games, I'm pretty much strictly a cart racer. Uh but yeah, there's yeah, as Marino says, so many stickers on those cars, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I racing. I you know, I'm also not super my scene. I I like, you know, as simmy as I'm gonna get as going to be a Fortza. But my understanding is people really like the I racing games, at least in the past. Maybe that's changed. I don't know, and I don't God sewert Over at Player one podcast used to write for e gm uh. He was a he's a big NASCAR fan, and I'm I think in the last couple of years he's not been super happy with these NASCAR games, So I wonder if he'll he'll be happy if they move on in like the fan base would be like, hey, we we would We're happy that this is no longer going to be with the developer it's been with We want to see I race and take a crack at it. But remember the past, when like we'd get like fifteen different like yames based on every sports league yeah racing, like yeah, and then like you know, ten different NFL games and things like that. That was clearly better, right that would have that was just a better time for these kinds of games in general, Right Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean absolutely, And I think now you basically have one company that has the license to all of the sports and it just yeah, there's just.
Speaker 3: A sort of create It's like it's creatively stunted.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, it's okay, Well, since there's nobody else that's able.
Speaker 3: To do this, we don't have to innovate, right.
Speaker 1: Exactly, Yes, I mean that was one h percent. The strategy behind EA getting maddened in the first place was we're getting real competition now from two K, and there's two ways to compete. We could spend a lot of money innovating, and there's no guarantee that we'll be able to out innovate them even if we outspend them. And we could also just go ask the NFL if we can have the exclusive license and give them a whole bag of money, and that will pay dividends in the long run because that will completely clear out the entire market of our competition. Everyone knows this story, but it's just it's just frustrating, And you know, there's not there's not always the situation where a company, a developer goes to the sports league and gives a bag of money. Sometimes there's just not that many developers don't want to make these games anymore. So there's a lot of different reasons this is happening. But you know, God, it was a time the n sixty four, the you know, PS two where we would just get a lot of different sports games for every single league, and it was you could just find the best one. Some would have different characteristics. There a lot of arcade sports games, a lot of arcade racers, and that's just not the case anymore. It's real shame.
Speaker 2: I loved some ESPN Extreme Sports back on the PlayStation. You could rollerblade, bike, skateboard or street loose.
Speaker 1: That's right. What if it snowed in San Francisco? Uh all right, let's take a quick break when we can come back. Plenty more to talk about, including a reverse net ease where instead of someone going from Square Inx to net ease, someone's gone from net Ease to Square Inex. We'll talk about that right after this break. We're back. You always got to watch out for the reverse net ees. Visions of Mana director leaves net Ease to join Square Enix. This is from Chris Scoe and f VGC. The director of Visions of Mana has joined Square Inox following the reported closure of the Net East owned studio that developed the game. As spotted by Canoble, race K Yeah, Rosk Yoshida, yoshuld excuse me, rice k Yoshita post a message on x announcing the news. Although the Mona series is owned by Square Innix and it published Visions of Mana, it was developed by the net Ease owned Uka Studios. However, following the game's release on August twenty ninth, it was reported that net Ease had cut all but a handful of jobs at the studio and plan to close it. Visions of Mono director Yoshouda has now revealed that he left Oka two months after the game's release and has now joined Square Enix itself. On a personal note, I quit net Ease on October thirty first. Yo should have wrote we were a new student studio, but we were able to release Visions of Mana. I am grateful to the development team and net Ease for their support. It was a very good experience. Thank you all. Yeah. I think this is a good pickup for Square Enix. Right where it's like, hey.
Speaker 3: You neat pickup for Square.
Speaker 1: You need to keep looking at other franchises and ips that you own in the RPG space. You can't just go all in on Finals Fantasy, especially when you're trying.
Speaker 2: To figure out totally, especially when they're trying figure out reach audience.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, like yes, like take your time figuring out what Final Fantasy is going to be outside of Final Fantasy seven Part three, and and you know, while you're doing that process, you should still be the RPG company, right And that means having studios and creatives that can handle that. Hey, partnering with net East to make visions and Mona was a good idea in the first place, Like, hey, it make make those deals so that you can make that happen when they pull out of that game you need to or when they you know, pull out of that space. And Nettie's is like, well, we're not gonna be able to do the next one. We're closing that studio then stepping in and providing a place for this at least this creative leader is a good.
Speaker 2: Thing, right, Yeah, oh absolutely, I mean, you know, it's it's interesting because obviously with Square they didn't sell as well as they wanted to on some big titles, particularly Final Fantasy seven Rebirth. And you know, there's this whole conversation now about you know the fact that they're kind of shooting themselves the foot having this deal with PlayStation and they want to expand outside of that, which is all basically what I'm saying is like Square is making smart moves. They're aware of their shortcomings and they are taking steps to correct it. And to me, this falls under that because Visions of Mana was pretty well received and people really like those titles. You know, I remember playing Secret of Mano when I was a kid, and you know.
Speaker 3: There are other and.
Speaker 2: On top of that, they had the Uh Dragon Quest HD remake, which was incredibly well received. So I think that, you know, they are aware of the fact that there are more than just Final Fantasy fans, and they have all of these other great ip that they can and should be doing something with, especially if you look back to the earlier days of Square, wherein yes, they did have Final Fantasy, but you also had the Mana games and you had Chrono Trigger, and you know, they are realizing I think that Xeno Gears, Yes, Stan Fiasco. So it's like the way that they're able to re think their own strategy. Like everything that they're doing is showing signs of the fact that they are interested in aware, yeah, and aware, which is you know, great and unusual to really.
Speaker 1: See this kind of awareness that they seem pretty serious about getting it right. They see pretty serious about recognizing that there are issues, and you know, I think everyone's got a different opinion on exactly what those issues are and why they prevent some of these games from breaking out. Whatever. I think the fact is they needed to know, Hey, at first, we need to diagnose that there is a problem, and we're going to have to come up with solutions on our own. That will be why we're getting paid the money. And we can listen to all the suggestions out there, but really we've got to find our own way forward. But the fact that they are now here listening like, Okay, we are going to think about Final Fantasy in a different way, and we are we are going to maybe do fewer releases that are a little bit better and take some time to let's give these things some space. And I think if they come back in the next five years and they do have you know, and they announce a Final Fantasy seventeen that really hits yep, and they they come with a maybe a chrono sequel, I think that they can very easily find themselves back in the conversation of oh this. They are building up a fan base in a way that Psona has been recently, right.
Speaker 2: And I think too that you know, by getting back into these other spaces, the dragon Quest, the mass spaces, there's those games are not as expensive as Final Fantasy because they don't think of Final they don't think of them as being their flagship title the way they do Final Fantasy. And I think that you can learn learn a lot from reactions to your smaller games. Again, it's the it is the uh, it's the thing I've been preaching all year long about film and television, that like, let's not make anything that costs more than ten million dollars. I think that in the gaming space there's a lot to learn there as well.
Speaker 1: Yep, exactly. Yeah, And I think you know, they canceled a lot of stuff recently, and I think that they, you know, refocusing on what has worked, which has been like Dragon Quest, those games have you dran Quists eleven very well received and has very well received. It's only seemed to like grow an estimation in the last couple of years. It's yeah, it's like, oh, that is already you know, a long running franchise obviously, but it does feel like it's it's building a similar sort of crest a similar sort of wave as Persona and some of these other franchises. So it's like, okay, can we maybe add to that a little bit, and then can we do something similar with these other ones? And it's like the good news for squarre Inix here is there is an RPG audience that wants this stuff real but definitely is yes, and it does seem like that that is only getting bigger as more people like make you know, hey, playing these giant RPGs become people's entire personalities, and Squarenix needs to find a way to like be the thing that they're thinking of as actively as an atlass right now.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, you know.
Speaker 1: And it's possible, and you know, I think it will Dragon Quest twelve and we haven't heard about that and forever when that comes out, will be just fine, right and then oh yeah, squaring expelling, filling in the gaps with other stuff from like a director like this, that that will really help.
Speaker 2: But it's like, even to your point about Dragon Quest eleven, another coworker of ours, our event directors act, he was talking to me about how he's playing dragon Quest eleven right now, and you know, I don't. He definitely is a gamer like he plays video games, but Dragon Quest eleven is not where I thought he was going to go when he was saying, Oh, this the game I'm playing right now, and I'm really enjoying it and I find it really relaxing. So again, it's like the desire is there, and I think that Square does have the opportunity to capture even more casual people, particularly with some of their titles that are not Final Fantasy.
Speaker 1: So definitely, all right, let's keep going here. Epic Mickey Rebrushed sales have been slower than the publisher expected. This is from Jonas Mackie at Game Reactor. Many people were delighted when THHQ Nordick announced earlier this year that Epic Mickey was making a comeback in refreshed form, with development led by the team behind SpongeBob square Pants The Cosmic Shake. In September, Disney, Epic Mickey Rebrushed finally premiered, and we gave it a pretty good rating, but noted that it was developed with so much respect for the original that even its flaws remained. Since then, we haven't heard much, and now my Nintendo News points out that there might be a reason for this. According to owner Embracer, sales have been slow, and in their latest support they write the most notable new release Disney Disney's epic Mickey rebrushed Late in the Corner was late in the quarter. Excuse Me was well received by players, but initial digital sales were slower than expected. Yeah, what do you think happened here? Is it just maybe the epic Mickey name was already a little bit tarnished from the previous two releases, being something that kind of people got excited for and maybe got a little burned by.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's a little bit of that.
Speaker 2: And I mean I think it's some of it is the oversaturated gaming market, right, you know, because I was aware that this was coming out, but I totally missed it actually being released, you know. I it's and and like, this is happening to other large titles as well, like long standing ip not just Disney. But you know, I was having brunch yesterday with some people, and my buddy AJ was like.
Speaker 3: Oh, did Echoes of Wisdom come out? You know, Like it's just it's kind of an oversaturated market.
Speaker 2: So it's it's like difficult to know when these things are even happening unless you are somebody who's actively paying attention in a way that goes beyond just kind of oh it comes up for me on the in general advertising in my Internet browsing.
Speaker 1: Yep. It's the kind of thing where, yeah, when you already have a lot to play and you're kind of keeping a mental list, something like this easily gets set aside. You're like, that is something that's been up for a while. I can always come back to that when I'm ready. And then I think a lot of people do that collectively, and then it kind of creates this void where people aren't talking about it, so it doesn't rise the level of like, oh, yeah, I should play that for many others. It's also you know, not to cause an aneurysm for Mike MINAUGHTI and give a win to Dan Reikert. Like, my kids weren't asking for this, yeah, you know. I think I even brought it up to them a little bit and they're like, yeah, sure, sure maybe, And now we did get back from Disney, maybe that would change. I think I still will. I think I'm going to go put this on in front of them and see what happens. Yeah, but but but what are.
Speaker 3: Your kids asking to play like, that's that's something.
Speaker 1: That Tiny Terry's Turbo Trip has been on two devices constantly this entire Thanksgiving late weekend. It's been on the TV on the Mini PC connected to that, and it's been on my Steam deck because they like my account because I beat the game, so I have every everything on lock there's my old Steam deck. They could play it on there. They want to play it online, so it's been a hassle for me. I have been trying to track down a plush of Tiny Terry because they both made the Christmas list. I think they both put Tiny Terry on there and I'm like, kids, come on. And then they, you know, they tell me like, no, Santus Magic, he could just make it.
Speaker 3: You can just make it.
Speaker 1: Come on, dad, you little bastards. So I did. I did reach out the developers. Sounds like we can make maybe.
Speaker 2: Oh see that to me is that's that's all I need to know, because I feel, you know, anything that is Disney recognizable Mickey, you can imagine, oh, this is something that a child would.
Speaker 3: Be asking for.
Speaker 2: But like all the kids I know, they just they still want to play Mario Tart eight.
Speaker 1: Deluxe YEP that, and uh, it was before that, it was Tears of the Kingdom NonStop and they haven't played that.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yeah, yes, my ten year old nephew played Breath of the Wild and also Tears of the Kingdom like he loves it. But yeah, I mean like his younger brothers like they want to play the Paw Patrol game and Mario Kart, like that's it.
Speaker 1: Exactly all right, let's keep going here. Animal Crossing Pocket Camps micro transaction free version is out now for ten dollars. That price is going to double soon though. This is from Eddie mccoit game Spot. We talked about this couple of months ago. But I'm a Crossing Pocket Camp, a free to play game launched in twenty seventeen for mobile devices. It's getting delisted, but is now available in a complete edition instead for ten dollars, So got delist is maybe not the right word. They're updating the game to be this complete version that it's going to have everything. You just buy it as a video game and that will be how it lives from now on. Again, very cool that they're doing this. I'm going to go out and get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna definitely get it regardless of whether or not I end up playing it ten bucks. Yeah, might as well, might as well get in on the I think it's very smart marketing on their part to have this period of time wherein it is ten dollars for a complete game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna buy it. I'll probably check it out.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah. And of course you have people like the foam all marketing. This happens all the time, but there's an initial price decrease and you got to act now or else you miss out on it. Yep. That's a yeas an old trick.
Speaker 3: Yep, it's an old trick.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I sort of can't get too up up in arms about these things because I'm like, yeah, that's they're doing that thing that everyone does. So yeah, yeah, let's see, uh, you know, before we get the Infinity Nikki reviews. Uh, there is the PlayStation thirtieth anniversary thing that they did where I guess you can replace the boot up sequence with previous boot up sequences. Oh, let's see here. I might not play the audio enable external media, yeah, to go play the audio a little bit. Let's see here. Yes, so yeah, I'll contain some spoilers pre prease perceived a caution, is this the whole thing? Maybe it's the wrong thing. Actually, let's see with Tom Warrenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just want that classic OG PlayStation.
Speaker 1: Yes, me too, that's that's my my favorite. Yes, and and then goes to just thirtieth anniversary after it does the and then it goes five. So that's awesome. Yeah, this love Also, if you haven't seen seen at this PlayStation thirtieth anniversary trailer, it's about you, thank you for thirty years of play. It's very very good. People should watch that as well. But yeah, I love this. Apparently you could just go in the settings and you could set it to be the Boots boot up sequence from PS one, PS two, PS three or PS four, And you said that, and then there's a special thirtieth anniversary one. I don't know what that is. I don't know why you would do anything other than the PS one though, personally, and I totally agree.
Speaker 3: I know people look, I guess there's some people who are younger than me.
Speaker 1: Yes, and a lot of people really do like that PS two boot up sequence. I do too, Yes, but the PS one is just it clears it's it's above them all. Yeah, yeah, you gotta do a ranking of console boots for UPF. I think they did that over at Uh not at REMAP. I think is where they do. I was gonna say next time up I think Remap did it, and I think they did it during their big live show and I was watching some of it, and when I did, I was there. I was watching when they got to the PS one and they were all like, We're going to create a new tier above everything else for this. I'm like, they know what they're talking about. Hell yeah, glad they gave it respect to the one that deserves it, all right. Infinity Nikki reviews are up and beginning to drop, not everywhere but a few a handful of places. Jessica or at Eurogamer gave it four stars and says, if nothing else, it sure is nice to see mijo Yo have some proper competition for once I suppose chin impact, then I realized and I know I'll be still be returning to miro Land whenever I'm in need of a while of a mood boost, whether that be in the form of humming along to catch you tunes while whim cycling that be in the forum or yeah, or whim cycling my way towards hot air balloons or laughing at the melodrama in the future story updates. I hope Infinity Nicki manages to find an audience, because if it becomes the Gentchin Impact Killer, I know it has the potential potential to be well. I'm excited to see what kind of game could possibly rise to become the Infinity Nikki Killer in another four years. Infinite Nikki is that like dress up game for play games on PC? It was in the Game Awards or Summer Game Fest. Maybe it must have been some Yeah, and and I guess also a place like bensin Impact. I have access to this thing, I haven't is it like? Is it?
Speaker 3: Is it Gotcha in that it's similar Tonsion Impact?
Speaker 1: I think it is Gotcha? Yes, yeah, Gotcha Yeah. Osama mcmood at Dual Shockers gave it an eight out of ten, says Infinity Niki is a delightful dress up experience worth checking out on a whim. Its creative gameplay provides countless opportunities to create a perfect look for Nicky, with near limitless clothing options and accessories, Nicky always yeah. While the open world may sometimes feel bland, the various activities and puzzles you discover pull the engagement levels back. Even during its uninteresting st beats, it'll surprise you with an all inspiring set piece that'll make you adore the quality and effort put into the details. If it continues to expand the charming world of Mira even further with new story arcs and events, it'll surely be a top notch adventure title that isn't too dependent on the controversial gotcha elements. There you go, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I remember playing Benchen Impact at launch and thinking, yes, the gotcha mechanics. I see how these are going to be addicting, But I felt the game was playable even without spending a bunch of money on the gotcha mechanics that was at launch. I'm sure that is not the case anymore. I did not keep up with Benchen Impact. But this is an interesting point going back to the first story we were discussing today about the Tencent using Horizon Visuals to make a new game in that again, with Bensin Impact, you start by invoking that feeling of breath of the wild.
Speaker 3: People show up to play it.
Speaker 2: And then it becomes its own entity, and so now you have this game that is visually not like.
Speaker 3: Benchen Impact, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, it definitely has cute characters, but the art style is very different, and et cetera, et cetera. And this is a variation on what became the game that rose to be the dominant gotcha game. And as you know, the various reviewers are saying, you know, specifically like Jessica Eurogamer is, oh, it's good to see that it Basically, this is a this is a positive reaction to the existence of something like a Denschin Impact. Yeah, and this just shows that again, if you have an idea and you have somebody else who goes, ooh okay, there's a market for that, and they take that idea and they expand upon it and they make it their own, then you end up with something more interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Did that persona mobile game ever come out? That is like a lot of games. Is it the Phantom X Maybe that didn't come out yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like I feel like, yeah, that's the other side of this is these traditional developers and traditional I p are like, we could we could just do that, We could just have one of our instead of having these ones like hey, you know this game is kind of like a Persona but it's not. But it's you know, mobile, and it's a full RPG right here on your phone. Don't you want that? And people are like yes, yes, yes, please, and then uh, some of these other companies are getting left out, but you know, Persona's gonna have their own. I guess soon. I'm looking at up Persona. The Phantom X is coming out. It's out in China now, okay, and open beta? I see all right? One one more. A review quote here from dan record dot com for Infinite Nikki says it's an anime PERV thing and what else do you say? Uh? Yes, if someone's looking too hard at anime, I'm calling the cops. So there you go, everybody, just watch out. The anime police are out there.
Speaker 3: I wanted I want to see Nickcki play Infinity Niki. I think that that's that's a stream. It's just called Infinity Niki.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think we can make that happen. I was just thinking, my god, I know way to make that happen right now? Okay, let's see that does it for the headlines? Got a pull question? Let me get that up and Adam While I do that, Am a Fife. Why don't you tell people where they can find you on the internet, what you have going on all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm on blue Sky. Now that's the place to be, y'all, so follow me on there. I actually use that one, and I'm also on Instagram just at Emma Fife. Honestly, if you just look for mfif on blue Sky, it's me too. I have to I've been going in to try to change my uh uh at dots because I own am afif dot com, so I'm working on that.
Speaker 3: I just did something wrong when I was trying to do that.
Speaker 2: And also, as Deek Freed points out in the chat, thank you so much. My husband's company, Boss Fight Books, has a humble bundle right now where I believe it is eighteen dollars for a large collection of ebooks, So if you are an ebook reader, this is a really great deal. It also supports a charity that goes to the prevention and care of malaria. It's one of the gave does a ton of research to basically make sure that the money that's going to the charity it's the maximum amount of money that can be going to it.
Speaker 3: So you should definitely do that, and then.
Speaker 2: Of course if you go to boss Fight books dot Com as well, it is cyber.
Speaker 3: Monday, so there's all there's all kinds of deals going on there.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's my shameless nepotism promoting my husband's company.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitively take evangelist deals. Everybody, it's yes serverce Monday, get in there and get that before they're over. Okay, let's see here full question from before the Thanksgiving break. If so acquires the parent company company of from Software, will from Soft games in the future be exclusive to PlayStation and the results here are interesting. Forty nine percent say no, say yes, so basically fifty to fifty split right down the middle. People, you know, yeah, I think a lot of people are probably on each side, are pretty sure, but overall I'm a little uncertain about the future here. I I kind of go back and forth a little bit, but I tend to lean towards most of the games that come out of from Software. If Sony Corporation were to acquire Kata Kawa, the parent company of from Software, a big part of that deal, of course, as everyone always points out, is the tons of anime and manga ip that Kata.
Speaker 3: Kaya a show Ton.
Speaker 1: Yes, Sony would still be very happy to have from Software. So it's not like they would be like, well no, just from Software go free. That that wouldn't happen. But you know, the the From Software's games are only getting bigger, and they're kind of to the point where it's like they're so big now it kind of it doesn't make sense to make them exclusive. Yeah, you know outside of Hey, if they if they acquire them and they do something like a Demon Souls or a Bloodborn follow up, maybe those maybe because those Sony owns those ip maybe that is exclusive. I think it's one maybe a market second Shooes situation.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I don't know that it would be exclusive exclusive. I think the worst that would happen is there would be some timed exclusivity.
Speaker 1: Right. That sounds plausible, right, there's just room for them to do something here that wouldn't be like and it's available on Xbox Day one as well. Maybe it's like Indiana Jones, like what's happening there? But I think, yeah, the games, they're just too big and the sales potentials are potential is too large to ignore. And so I think if you have a frum Soft you kind of have to keep putting their games out everywhere going forward. If I were, then that's what I would do, all right. New poll question, what is the best PlayStation boot up sequence? PS? One, two, three, or four will get that post it up on the YouTube community channel. You can vote there. Just go to giant YouTube dot com slash at Giant Bomb and the community tab there you can vote. We'll get the results of that and talk about it here on Games Mornings on Giant Bomb on Wednesday. Speaking of Giant Bomb tomorrow, Tuesday BombCast will be back Wednesday. We should have a Blake club. I think there should be a mostly normal week this week. Other than we are also going to be on a lot of meetings still because of things coming up next week. But yeah, for this week, we'll try to get as much normal stuff done as possible. Maybe do it an Infinity Nikki stream or something like that. Should be a good time. Okay, let's see here. Anything else that I need to mention or take care of, I don't know. I think we're good here. Emma Fife, thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talking about video games of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, happy to be here and to beat the news.
Speaker 1: Yes, got we got out ahead of it and we put it in its place. Get back that it does feel like, you know, we came back from Thanksgiving. Is there gonna be a lot now that everyone's sort of like, you know, Europe has been waiting for us to come back to it. I know, I think everyone else in this industry kind of just begins to take time off right around now. They like you might have noticed, like a lot of big service games and big services and GPUs all got big updates right before Thanksgiving. That's like the real deadline. They want to get that stuff done so that they they don't have to work about on it going into Christmas.
Speaker 2: Now some start but officially and let's circle back after the holiday season.
Speaker 1: Yep, definitely. So it might not be a lot to talk about, but we will find stuff to talk about, and of course, you know, the Game Awards will be here and then we'll have stuff to talk about after that. So looking forward to it all right, Thanks again, Emma, appreciate it. Thank you everybody for listening and watching. You're the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye,