Speaker 1: Now your host walking you up to first pitch. It's Tim kays.
Speaker 2: Hi, everybody, and welcome in to Morongo Casino Dodgers on dak. The off season is over, Spring training has wrapped up in Arizona, and now the defending World Series champions are in Tokyo, Japan to begin the twenty twenty five season as they play a two game series against the Chicago Cubs. There is a buzz in Tokyo with the Dodgers being there, show hey O, Tania's return, Yoshi Yamamoto, Roki Sazaki, all back home in Japan wearing Dodger blue. Sellout crowds for both games in Tokyo. In fact, it's the hardest ticket to get anywhere worldwide. Right now, today the twenty twenty five series season opener for the Dodgers. Yoshi Yamamoto will get the start for the Dodgers. Shotta and Minaga on the mound for the Cubs. First pitch from the Tokyo Dump is coming up in a little over an hour. Coming up here, I'm Arago Casino Dodgers on deck. We're gonna hear from the manager himself. Dave Roberts will dive deeper into this pitch. Matchup with is a historic one. David Vatse will go one on one with Freddie Freeman. We've got your Dodgers magical moment. Shortly we'll check in with Kirsten Watson live on the field at the Tokyo Dome, and in just a few minutes we'll send it out to Tim Neverrid and Rick Monday on the call from the Galpin Motors broadcast booth. Well, it's in new year, a lot of familiar faces, some new ones, but expectations are still the same. Win a championship, Will Smith, Max Munsey, Freddie Freeman back and ready to repeat. Freddie coming off an ankle surgery following last year's World Series, but he had a great spring.
Speaker 3: Freddy Freeman base is empty. Two out east swings HiT's a high drive left field and deep going back and Freddie Freeman has hit it out his third spring home not at opposite field shot.
Speaker 2: Home runs this spring for Freddy. The Top Tier played the game sponsored by Arco Quality Top Tier Gas for leuts. Mookie Betts was having a good spring, but god sick in Tokyo. Flew home all ready to rest up for the start of the domestic season, Tommy Edmund entering his first full year with the Dodgers. Keiki Hernandez is back, Miguel Rojas is back, Chris Taylor is back, Guys who play multiple positions, tay Oscar Hernandez is back.
Speaker 4: He resigned and couldn't be be happier.
Speaker 5: One of my biggest thing was trying to get a deal done with the Dodgers, and you know, excited that our team is way better now and we have a big chance to do it again this year.
Speaker 2: Danny Pajez is back roaming center field after a really good spring for the Dodgers. Michael Conforto a new addition to the outfield. The veteran we'll see a lot of time in left field. Pitching wise, backer Yamamoto, Glass Now Kershaw show Hey Otani will take them out at some point this season. The Dodgers went big during free agency, signing two times Cy Young Award winner Blakes.
Speaker 6: Now think I'm just getting into my prime.
Speaker 7: I got a lot left.
Speaker 8: I really want to see how good I can really be and invest everything I can into these next five years.
Speaker 7: But I think I really have like eight years left.
Speaker 2: Dodgers also won the Japanese jewel of free agency, right hander Roki Sazaki, who turned a lot of heads at spring in Arizona.
Speaker 3: Now the pitch swinging in this strike three right out front was the Cincinnati hitter.
Speaker 2: Two start, seven innings, no runs, three hits, seven strikeouts in Arizona for Susaki. So the Dodgers have retool for twenty twenty five, primed and ready to repeat. First up the Tokyo Series, two games against the Cubs at the Tokyo Dome, and with more we head out to the Gallpin Motors broadcast booth as we say hello to Tim Nefritt and Rick Monday.
Speaker 3: Guys, the Major League Baseball regular season gets underway.
Speaker 7: In just a little while.
Speaker 3: Is the Dodgers take on the Chicago Cubs and begin defense of their World Championship. They're at the Tokyo Dome in Tokyo, Japan, pitching Shota Imanaga for the Cubs and Yoshinobu.
Speaker 7: Yamamoto for the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Hi and everybody with Rick Bunday, I'm Tim Neverett, glad to be here on the maiden voyage here in twenty twenty five. It is very early in the morning. We understand in Los Angeles. But this is going to be a spectacle. It's the one hundred and fiftieth season for the Cubs, but they've never seen anything like this.
Speaker 7: This is the earliest a Major.
Speaker 3: League Baseball regular season game has.
Speaker 7: Ever been played.
Speaker 3: Fifty five thousand are expected to jam into the Tokyo Dome for the ballgame, and it has been a spectacle already with the first two exhibition games.
Speaker 7: But Yamamoto gets the start.
Speaker 3: We know that tomorrow Roki Sasaki will make his major league debut and Moe couple of things.
Speaker 7: Mooki Bets not in the lineup.
Speaker 3: We know he's had some sort of stomach virus and the Dodgers sent him home. He's already back in Los Angeles.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he's back in LA and they said they want him to get back into more of normal routine. Lost fifteen pounds is what we're hearing. So for best to come back in and get ready when the Dodgers open up their home series, that being against the Detroit Tigers. But the Dodgers really at the top of the list to tim try to be the first ball club since a two thousand to win back to back World Series. It was the New York Yankees that did it back then. So the Dodgers tried to right the ship here early they're down one man, but one thing about it, it's a new beginning and his Dodger ball club perceived is again the goliath of baseball.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 3: The last twenty four World Series champions have not repeated, but the Dodgers are the favorite. And show he Otani down the left field line throwing and he is putting on a show. I mean basically just playing catch right now. But people are standing, all the cameras are out every time he comes to the plate.
Speaker 7: He has been the main spectacle.
Speaker 3: Even though there are other Japanese players playing in this series, there is none more famous.
Speaker 7: There is none more popular than show Hey Otani.
Speaker 9: Well, there was a huge crowd at the airport when the Dodgers arrived on their charter. They scoured the players in the traveling party into a different area, but you got a sense of what the importance was with his native Japanese following to come out. In particular, there was one gentleman and his wife that came to the airport. They said, we probably will not be able to get him, but here was the as far as get to be able to see him. He says, we just came to be able to breathe the same air as show Hey Otani.
Speaker 3: And people have been dressing up not only as Otani, but as Otani's dog decoy, the most famous dog in the world.
Speaker 9: Now, well, there were ten thousand seats that were sold just to watch the Dodgers work out when they first arrived. So this has really been this has been an historical trip. But if we really look at it from overall standpoint, you know, baseball was introduced to Japan over one hundred and fifty years ago, so this is a big, big deal Baseball. It's a huge deal now because Major League Baseball opens up their official season in Tokyo just minutes away.
Speaker 3: So the Dodgers and the Cubs, we're counting it down to the first pitch as they'll play the first regular season game of twenty twenty five in Tokyo, Japan, and defense of a World Series title starts right here this morning. We'll have the lineups and the first pitch still on the way.
Speaker 2: Tim All right, thank you guys, as we got you down to first pitch. Dodger fans, get your game day meal. On a Shaky's Pizza Parlor, or to your Shanky's Pizza, Chicken and Mojo's at Shakys dot com. Coming up here on Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, you are gonna hear from manager Dave Roberts. We'll check in with David vas Say, we'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. We got your latest injury report.
Speaker 4: What up next?
Speaker 2: Your o tani rewind and we'll visit with Kirsten Watson live on the field at the Tokyo Dome as we lead you up to Dodgers and Cubs. First pitch of twenty twenty five is coming up in just a little bit.
Speaker 4: Thanks for being with us. I'm Tim Katson.
Speaker 2: This is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Is Morongo Casino Dodgers on Todgers on Deck. Y'all on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's a Dodgers and Cubs from Tokyo, the first of two Yoshi Yamamoto showta Amanaga the pitching matchup. First pitch coming up and ten after the hour.
Speaker 1: This is the otanias Rewide Old Toy right soon, Old.
Speaker 2: Tony Tony soon in Tokyo show hey Otani fifty to fifty player a year ago MVP season for the Dodgers, and he put on a show against the Tokyo Giants in an exhibition game over the weekend with a home run at the Tokyo Dome. Off and run. It is show Hey o Tani in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: This is Kirston's Corner with Kirston Watson.
Speaker 2: Hey, Kirston's brought to you by Cars for Kids. Ready to donate your old car? Call one eight seven seven Cars for Kids Right now, friendly agents are standing by to take your donation. That's Cars with the K donate your car today, Kirston. The Dodgers have been in Japan for a few days now. What has the experience been like as we get close to first pitch?
Speaker 6: It's been absolutely incredible. I think, first to play this for two games against the Giants and the Tigers and the NTV for the team to see just what the atmosphere is like in those games. And now you have a regulations the game between the Dodgers and the Cup. There's been how much excitement you see how sho hey Rokie as well as Yoshinobu have just been welcomed home to their home country, so it's been really special. The guys have been able to explore the city of Tokyo, whether it's going to different markets and trying to food. They obviously had a team dinner that's shoh and Roki Yoshimobu had planned and how everyone's saying it's the best meal that they've had to set here. So getting to see it through their eyes has been really special. And now the regular season is here, they're ready to play, and the guys have been saying, especially those who had experience, whether it's with Winter Ball or the World Baseball tossic, they're saying that's been the most similar when it comes to help passionate these fans are so Pika said today, you know, he hopes it's loud in here. That's his kind of party and he's looking forward to seeing just how the fans are and everyone's hoping that the Dodgers are going to be the home team, so lots of loud music and chants while those guys are what.
Speaker 4: Do we expect for that first pitch?
Speaker 2: For that first of bed Jota and Monaga against Tani Honestly.
Speaker 6: From what we saying in the two exhibition games whenever show Hey is that the it has been just this moment of silence in awe and every time you fouls off a ball or something, it's like a gas like everyone's just holding their breast to see what happens. Obviously we did see him at a home run and second have that in that first game against the Giants, and so he has been there's so much excite in everyone's phones and cameras are up. So now it's a regular season game. You have a situation in which you have two Japanese starting pitchers, one for each team, going against each other. It's opening day in Major League Baseball. That's history itself. Then you add another layer in that first at bat of this game today is going to be Shota Imanaga going up against the show Hey of Hahani. So I think it's I think it's going to be silent, like you could hear a pen drop, maybe even like a faulting experience. I think it's going to be like that. By also think it is going to which everyone is just going to be like, wow, look at this talent in this game. Look at the talent on the field, the talent from this country of Japan, and I think it's going to be very very special for everyone to witness.
Speaker 2: What about you, Kirsen, What has been the best thing? Maybe the best food you've tried while in.
Speaker 10: Tokyo the best?
Speaker 6: So I went to an Omakase experience that night. I went with the Cub supporter to a regard and it was amazing because I tried things that I probably would have never tried just going to a Smishi restaurant, whether in La or even here in Tokyo. So that, to me, I think is the best. And you know I'm a monster connossur, so trying all the most here as been incredible.
Speaker 2: Awesome Kirisa. We appreciate it. We will check in with you after the game. Still to come here on wronggo Causino Dodgers on deck. We'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. David Vesey goes one on want with Freddy Freeman. But up next your injury report and we'll hear from the manager himself, Dave Roberts leading up to Dodgers and Cubs from Tokyo.
Speaker 4: I'm Tim Katson.
Speaker 2: This is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers Hunter on your Home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck continues as we leads up to first pitch from Tokyo, Japan. Dodgers in Cubs, Moronco Casino Resort and Spa, A Grand Slam, four Good Times Yoshi Yamamoto and showtime in Monaga.
Speaker 4: The pitching matchup first and two for Japan.
Speaker 1: This is the LA Dodgers Injury Report.
Speaker 2: Presented by UCLA Healthy, official medical partner of your Los Angeles Dodgers. Nine pitchers start the season on the injured list for the Blue. Tony Gonsolin on the injured list with back tightness, Eduardo Henriquez fifteen day IL with the left foot fracture. Kyle Hurt recovering from right elbow surgery. Clayton Kershaw starts the season on the IL, recovering from offsea and toe surgery. Michael Kopek on the IL right shoulder impingement, Evan Phillips fifteen day IL right rotator cup strain, imacheon right elbow surgery, brusdar gratterol right shoulder surgery, and Michael Grove done for the season right shoulder surgery as well.
Speaker 4: All right, let's head back out to Tokyo and check out the Dodgers. Get burned anything.
Speaker 10: The questions for Dave Dave, can you just describe Dave? Can you talk about the pressure.
Speaker 1: In the dugouts with Dave Robberts.
Speaker 11: Yeah, David Arizona, you talked a little bit about second base in center field being undecided a little bit. How have those questions resolve themselves now going forward?
Speaker 8: I think it's just going to be remain fluid. I think that's a position where we have different players that can play second base, can play center field, so it's not going to be one certain situation verse left, verse right. I think that just kind of rotating Tommy, key K and Migy ro at second base, Tommy center field, Andy in centerfield, So it's going to kind of remain fluid. I think each of those guys are going to play between three and call it five days, outside of Tommy, who's essentially an every day guy.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Dave, tonight's obviously going to be a spectacle. What's that balance of like obviously recognizing that it's regular Sea's name, Also like embracing just what sort of lights this moment in what this moment kind of means.
Speaker 8: It's a I mean, I think it's really it really takes a concerted effort on all of our parts to understand that this is a meaningful game. Now. I think there's been a lot of stuff built up exhibition games, obviously, travel, and so you really got to be intentional about ramping up the focus because today's game does matter. It's different for everyone, but it's still a big event. But we got to try to now focus on, you know, playing nine innings tonight.
Speaker 13: Dave, when you when you guys got here, you mentioned that this is a special trip for you because you get to kind of represent your mom's side of the family, even though you're going into a game that counsel and everything that goes into that. I wonder, have you been able to take a moment to just sort of reflect on the significance of playing our regular season game here and what it means for you personally?
Speaker 8: I have, I think the best I can, probably not as much as I could or should, but I know the significance of this moment in time. You know, my mom's very proud. She'll be up in the middle of the night watching back home, which is great. I understand that. I'm just very grateful that we could be a part of this moment in time and making history. As someone said earlier, two Japanese born pitchers starting against each.
Speaker 10: Other an opening day.
Speaker 8: It's something that's never happened, and so just very very grateful.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's Dave Roberts talking to the media just a little bit ago at the Tokyo Dumb When we can tell you here on Morago Casino Dodgers on Deck, we will head back out to Tokyo and checking live with David Vaz saying, as we lead you up to first pitch the Tokyo Series, Dodgers in Cubs first pitch coming up at the top of the hour.
Speaker 4: I'm Tim Katson.
Speaker 2: This is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on your home for the blue all Season.
Speaker 2: Law Dodgers in Cubs Tokyo Series to dart the twenty twenty five season. Yoshi Yamamoto and show Dale Minaga. The pitch you matchup. First pitch coming up in ten after the.
Speaker 1: Hour, Joining Tikates on Dodgers on deck.
Speaker 14: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 2: This is Dodger Insider David and David is live and the Tokyo Domos is starting to fill up leading up to first Bitch and David. Some big news in the last two minutes here Freddie Freeman not in the lineup any longer.
Speaker 14: He is not, and Freddy is going to join us later in the show. We had our conversation yesterday. Freddie Freeman obviously is managing that right ankle. And this is a turf surface here at the Tokyo Dome, Tim and they have not changed the surface in quite some time. It reminded players of the Tropicana field playing surface, and it's really hard on the lower extremities. So you know, Freddy played in those two exhibition games and he's been out here for the workouts. You'll hear his answer in our conversation. But this is not a very forgiving surface, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some soreness in that right ankle. Goal, so he is out of the starting lineup. Key Y Hernandez will now move from left field to first base. Michael Conforto is now on the starting lineup in left field, and Will Smith is now hitting clean up with Taioscar Hernandez hitting third. So in case you're joining us late, Freddie Freeman just scratch from the Dodgers starting lineup. Keyky Hernandez starts at first.
Speaker 2: Keik was scheduled to start and left David and that was something big that Dave Roberts elected to go with him instead of Michael confort Tony was asked about it at this pregame press conference. He said, yeah, Keyk is a guy who deserves an opportunity and is going to get as many at bats as possible this year.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that was a little surprising because when the Dodgers signed Michael Confordo, they were adamant that he was not going to be a platoon player. They signed him for a one year contract at eighteen million dollars, so they said he was going to play every day. And in case you don't realize it, Confordo's average against left handed pitchers last year was two eighty three. It was higher than it was against right handed pitchers. So he's not a guy that is platoon. But Dave Roberts obviously did not love the matchup against Imonaga, but now he's forced to put Kenfordo in there.
Speaker 4: David has driven by Ford.
Speaker 2: If there's one thing we like, its choices, fine yours with the four f one to fifty gas hybrid all electric tough, this mark can only be called f one fifty. Mookie Bets, damn not with the team anymore.
Speaker 14: Yeah, Mooki Bets flew back to LA yesterday because he has had a severe stomach virus since the Dodgers took off for Tokyo, Japan. In fact, he was feeling ill the day before they left for Tokyo. And this raises another possibility. You know, whatever Mooki Bets had, he was flying on the plane and he's been around the team. Could Freddy Freeman have contracted the same sort of stomach virus that Mooki Bets did. We have not gotten any word. This late scratch came out of the blue for all of us. So you know, it could be the right ankle, but it also will could be the same stomach virus that Mookie Bets had to deal with and was forced to leave Tokyo, Japan. So as soon as we get more information, we'll pass it along. But yeah, Mooki's in La and the reason why they did not put Muki on the IL is because if they did, he would miss the home opener and that part of the schedule. So that's why he's still on the twenty six man.
Speaker 2: Roster outside of Mookie's virus. David, what's the experience been like in Tokyo.
Speaker 14: Well, for me, it's been great, and for the players it's been great. Nobody else has reported any sort of stomach virus until possibly now, But you know, the kershaws kershaws on this trip.
Speaker 7: He really wanted to be here.
Speaker 14: He flew himself and his family out here, and for everybody, they've really been taking in all of Tokyo. So guys are not just staying in their rooms and playing video games. They're actually leaving their rooms and experiencing this great city, this great country, and these great people.
Speaker 2: All Right, Dave, it's time now for the Dodger Derby, brought to you by san Anina Park. David and I select the race at Santa ed In. Then we picked the horse we think is gonna win. We'll see who's correct at the end of the season with their total guesses. We're picking Friday's second race at Santa Anita, currently a five horse race, six furlongs on the dirt.
Speaker 4: Who you like, DV.
Speaker 14: I'll go with Irish Rose in honor of Saint Patrick's Day.
Speaker 2: All right, I'll go with Becky's Dream, the three horse Good luck to you, DV.
Speaker 4: Dodger fans.
Speaker 2: San Anina Park is celebrating ninety years of racing every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day. Get on track experiences like thirty thousand Paddle, gold Fried Chicken Day.
Speaker 4: And San Anita Derby Day.
Speaker 2: For heart pounding action and new experiences, visit Santa Anita dot com Slash events coming up here on Dodgers on Deck, you're gonna hear from Freddy Freeman. We're gonna dive deeper into this pitching matchup. But on next your Dodgers magical moment leading up to Dodgers and Cubs the Tokyo Series coming up at the top of the hour.
Speaker 4: I'm Tim Katson.
Speaker 2: This is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, yes, it's Marongo Casino Dodgers on Jack on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball it's.
Speaker 2: A Dodgers and Cubs to Tokyo series, first to two. To start the twenty twenty five season, Yoshi Yamamoto and showed out in Monaga. The pitching matchup first pitch coming up at ten after.
Speaker 1: Hot Dog, who Wants Hot It's time for the Hawfe Magical Moment Bitch Magical presented by Hawby Hot Dogs.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the second straight time the Dodgers have gone across the seas to start the season. Last year, the Dodgers went to South Korea to take on the Padres in late March. In the season opener, the Dodgers, thanks to Mookie Betts with the late single, got the win.
Speaker 9: That's that's a tough way to give an air when you can clearly see that.
Speaker 3: Equipment malfunction on two pitch swine out of the ground, ball through the whole left side of base, ship ILMN round MC third coming to the plate head first slide. He scores rookie Bets with an RBI based ship and it's.
Speaker 7: Four to two Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Smookie with the RBI single in the eighth inning in Soul, Korea. Dodgers go on and win the season opener. A year Ago against the Padres five to two. This Hofey Magical Woman brought to by Hoffey hot Dogs. Hoffey as the winning lineup with its own MVPs Premium B Franks Bacon Wrapped hot Dogs and natural casing B Franks Hoffey hot Dogs. When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, we will check you in with Rick Monday as we are leading up to first pitcher in Tokyo Dodgers and Cubs. I'm Tim Kass, the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio network.
Speaker 1: Is Lorono Casino, Dodgers on Dodgers on Deck. Y'all on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and Cubs Tokyo Serious to start the twenty twenty five season. Yoshi Yamamoto and Showtime I Minaga, the pitching fans, Dodger Fans. Start your future at a California community college. Financial aids available to help you with tuition, books, and sometimes even rin It's time to take that next big step. Classes can fill quickly, so enroll today at I can go to College dot com and.
Speaker 1: Now joined by David Bass saying, here's LA Dodgers Broadcaster and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 14: Well, it is opening day, the fourteenth Opening day. I get to share with Rick Monday. We are a Pacific ocean apart.
Speaker 1: Rick.
Speaker 14: But man, you are so close to my heart, even here in Tokyo.
Speaker 9: David David, David, I been waiting for months to do this. Yeah, I mean the stage is it's lights full. I mean, the Dodgers defending world champions and coming on. I want to ask you right off the bat, give us a sense from the moment the Dodgers really got off their charter plane, because I know there was a huge crowd at the airport. First of all, everyone was shuttled kind of off in a different area, going through immigration and customs and the whole routine. I told Tim Nevertt about one comment that was made by a couple, a man and his wife that came to the airport to try and see show hey Otani and the Dodgers, and he says, I knew I was probably not going to be able to see him, but here was his quote. We came basically just to be able to breathe the same air as Otani. I mean, this is a big, big deal. First of all, Major League Baseball. But if you look at Otani coming back, I mean he's a national hero Japan Rick just.
Speaker 14: Walking around the streets of Tokyo. We've heard about the number of endorsements Otani has here. It's come to life larger than life, especially in an area called Shabuiah Crossing is similar to Times Square in New York. And he just has billboards all over the place. And I sent you one outside of the Tokyo So make no mistake about it. Looking out at this crowd that's been here for three hours, it is all Otani.
Speaker 7: It is all Dodgers.
Speaker 14: It feels like the Cubs are here just to be part of this TV series, this reality show that is show Aotani and Tokyo David.
Speaker 9: They sold ten thousand tickets just to watch the Dodgers workout before they had the series against the two Japanese teams. I mean, this is a big, big deal. Give us a sense, if you will, you're there the Tokyo Dome. From my understanding, even immediately surrounding the Tokyo Dome, is there not an amusement park or something like that. On top of it, major League Baseball has put his best foot forward. If you look at the baseball. First of all, you know, it's over one hundred and fifty years that baseball was introduced to Japan.
Speaker 7: This is a big, big deal there, It really is.
Speaker 14: It's so much different than a year ago in Soul Korea where it was. It's not a base ball country per se. This is a long history going back to when Babe Ruth visited Tokyo in the nineteen thirty So you're one hundred percent right, Rick, And yes, there is a roller coaster outside. This is the Tokyo Dome, and the area that the Tokyo Dome is in is called Tokyo Dome City. So this is a baseball fever at its best. And unfortunately they're not going to see Mookie Bets and Freddie Freeman because Mookie's back in LA and Freddy Freeman's a late scratch with maybe his right ankle, maybe he contracted the same stomach virus. We just don't know.
Speaker 9: Okay, Well, that's quite frankly, that's something that we just heard as you're speaking it that Freeman has been scratched from the lineup. So no other report that we get. Let me give you a real quick history lesson we're talking about. Really baseball in Japan goes back before that series. In nineteen thirty four, Babe Ruth, Luke, Garrett Jimmy Fox were also coming over to Tokyo in an All Star game. The game was actually introduced in eighteen seventy two in Japan by an American professor by the name of Horace Wilson who taught his students at may be mispronouncing a bit Cassi Academy in Tokyo. So just a little history lesson you can throw that out there too, eighteen seventy two as an American professor, Horace Wilson.
Speaker 14: Thank you, Rick, you always come up with something good, even in this setting, a grand setting here in Tokyo, the Dodgers and Cubs. And we'll check back in with you and Tim neverd a little bit later in the show as we get set for first pitch on opening night here in Tokyo.
Speaker 7: Thanks Rick, enjoy David.
Speaker 14: There he goes Rick Monday, Tim kats He is certainly our Dodgers Radio treasure, the longest active broadcaster on Dodgers Radio and Dodgers television. Rick Monday been in the booth since nineteen ninety three. We'll send it back.
Speaker 4: I'm glad to have mo with us.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Zen She hand Crafted Sushi.
Speaker 10: Dave.
Speaker 4: If you're on the road on the way to the game, we're just listening. Check it out. It's a quick meal.
Speaker 2: If you're looking for something affordable the whole family can enjoy, don't forget to pick.
Speaker 4: Up Zen She hand crafted sushi.
Speaker 2: It's made fresh on site daily by professionally trained sushi chefs with precision, passion, and tradition. You can taste find Zen She near the deli counter. Ralph Zen She hand crafted sushi, Always fast, fresh and easy. Still to come here On Dodgers on Deck, we'll get your preview this pitch matchup. Rick and Tim will be back with the keys to the game. But up next we go high and tight it with Freddie Freeman. Dodgers Cubs the Tokyo Series. First pitch coming up to ten after. I'm Tim kass the World Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Cassino Dodgers Hunters game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and Cubs the Tokyo Series. To start the twenty twenty five series Yoshi Yamamoto and Shota Imanaga. The pitching matchup first Bitch, coming up at ten after the hours still to come, Tim and Renk will give to the Keys to the Game will dive deeper to this pitching matchup as well.
Speaker 1: But first and now, what will likely be vast fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 4: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 1: This is high and tugged.
Speaker 14: It's opening day, this time in Tokyo, Japan. Last year was in Seoul, Korea, and we're joined right now by a man that has meant so much to the city, the World Series MVP and just a guy that has led this Dodger team in so many ways, and that's the great Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 4: Freddy, thank you for the time.
Speaker 10: Yeah, thank you for having me. David got that's all I got so far.
Speaker 7: Same here, same here.
Speaker 14: But I mean you've been all over the world literally with the Dodgers, and here we are in Tokyo, Japan.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's pretty special.
Speaker 15: I mean, back to back years starting overseas in Asia.
Speaker 10: It's pretty crazy. Really.
Speaker 15: It's we were doing practice the other day and show he came out and the fans were just going all crazy for them. We're hitting home runs and they're clapping for us. After everything, it makes you want to hit more and back practice. But it's cool. I'm glad we're over here, you know, kind of growing the game and letting the fans of Japan CEUs play.
Speaker 14: What do you believe the vibe is from not only Shohei but Yamamoto and Sasaki.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's pretty special. You can feel the buzz. I mean they got showed out and say over there too. So five really really great Japanese players being able to come over here and complete compete and come back home for them and play in front of the fans that they grew up playing in front of. And for us to come over and experience it with them. I mean, it's special. These are once in a lifetime moments that you get that experience and you're trying to take it all in but hopefully get the win tonight and tomorrow.
Speaker 14: Freddy, you've had a few days to practice on this playing surface. Does it remind you of Tropic Caana Field's.
Speaker 10: Not like that.
Speaker 15: It's actually a little different because not used to like only a little small parts of it being dirt, you know, and there's a lot of pebbles popping up, so it's a little different. The lights are lower, so there's a lot of things that you just kind of get used to, and that's what you've got to get here in practice and do all that and try and figure it all out and do the best you can out there.
Speaker 14: It seems dark in this Tokyo dome. Is that a good thing to pick up the baseball?
Speaker 15: I mean, I guess we're gonna find out. We'll see, I mean throughout the practices. It's the lights were a little bit lower, so maybe a little pop ups. You can lose them really easy, but then you can pick them back up. So you just got to really stay focused on every single pitch, nothing like we don't normally do, but just a little bit extra more because it's just a different planning environment that we're used to.
Speaker 14: You know, I'm thinking about your right ankle when I think of this type of artificial turf surface.
Speaker 7: How has it felt.
Speaker 15: It's okay so far. The metal spikes on this turf is a little different. We're doing the best we can to combat it. A lot of treatment, a lot of treatment after the game, so We're gonna hopefully get through these two games and be okay.
Speaker 14: Ready, the Freddie Freeman doctor plan really paid off in Arizona. You laid out how you saw this happening, and it came to fruition.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it did.
Speaker 15: I'm glad because you never know if an ankle or lower body injury, if there's gonna be a little sit back or anything like that. But thankfully we got through it things. I was able to get enough of bats where I felt pretty comfortable up there, so hopefully that leads to some good things here in these two games against the Cubs.
Speaker 14: Freddie Freeman is our guest just in front of first pitch between the Dodgers and Cubs here in the Tokyo Series, and Freddy, we talked to you at Dodger Fest. It's hard not to continually be reminded about what the team did in October last year and what you did in October last year. How much have you had time to reflect? And is tonight the night that you officially turned the page?
Speaker 10: I mean I still reflected.
Speaker 15: I mean all the spring training, all the fans, it's every single day they were out there letting us know how appreciative they were of what we did for last year year and getting a championship. I don't know if you can officially turn the page until we get back home and do that for I mean, we got to experience it with the Dodger fans back at home and get our rings and put the banner up. We can still focus on today and the Cubs and still be appreciative of what we accomplished. And I know our fans are excited for us to get home and play against the Tigers and get the rings and the banners, so we can still focus on today, but look forward to getting those that opening weekend at home.
Speaker 14: Hey, I got breaking news for you. You signed a fans calf I believe at Dodger Fest.
Speaker 10: Yes, I did.
Speaker 14: The fan has been dming me on Instagram the tattoo that complimented the signature. So I got to show that to you. If you have not already seen it, I have not seen it. I will show it to you after this.
Speaker 10: I can't wait to see it. That is crazy.
Speaker 14: The first time ever.
Speaker 15: I think this is the first time it's been I've seen about four tattoos now of me on people.
Speaker 10: It's pretty cool, you know, just since it put me on them forever.
Speaker 15: Hopefully, hopefully they when they're a little bit older, they still like me.
Speaker 14: That will live forever, Freddy, no doubt, I hope. So all right, well, thanks a lot for the time, Freddie. Great to spend time with you here in the tunnel of the Tokyo Dome.
Speaker 10: This is awesome things, David, I appreciate it.
Speaker 14: Oh the man, Freddie Freeman. We love him and we'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 2: Tim, all right, thanks a lot, DV. Thank you, Freddie. Freddy's been in a late scratch here in the last couple of minutes. From the starting lineup. Kiki Hernandez will not get to start at first base. Michael Conforto, who was out of the lineup, now in the lineup in left field. Dodgers being introduced on the field at the Tokyo Dome as we speak, high five and pikachuw from Pokemon as they make their way onto the third base line with introductions happening. Dodgers Baseball brought to you by Shaky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers Audio broadcast.
Speaker 4: When it's game day, it's group Day, and.
Speaker 2: Shaky's dot com lead you up to first pitch Dodgers and comes from Tokyo. Up next, we'll dive deeper in this historic pitching matchup. I'm Tim kas Is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Well, this is Morongo Casino Dodgers, hunts on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 4: Dodgers and comes the Tokyo Series. The first to two.
Speaker 2: They'll play it again tomorrow, then head back home to the States.
Speaker 4: First pitch coming up at ten afters and.
Speaker 1: Now before the Dodgers hit the dinack, we look at the pitching.
Speaker 2: Matchups presented by your Southern California Toyota Dealers. Work hard and play hard in a new Tacoma with an I Force turbo charged engine. It's a truck built for the bull See your Toyota dealer today.
Speaker 4: They make it easy.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the first effort opening day match up featuring two Japanese born starting pitchers for the Dodgers. Yoshinoba Yamamoto twenty six year old right hander out of Okayama, Japan. He pitched seven seasons in Japan before coming to the Dodgers, where he was dominant over in Japan, winning MVP three times his second season now in LA last year eighteen starts in the regular season seven and two with a three RRA and one hundred and five strikeouts. He was great in the postseason last October. Who can forget the five scoreless innings in the Game five of the NLDS against the Padres and then allowing one run over six and the thirty innings in Game two of the World Series against the Yankees in four starts in October two and oher with fifteen strikeouts showed to Imanaga, thirty one year old left hander going for the Cubs, entering his second season with Chicago since coming over from Japan last year fifteen and three with the two ninety one ERA and one hundred and seventy four strikeouts.
Speaker 4: He was an All Star.
Speaker 2: Also a pitch to combine no hitter last September at Wrigley Field, Dodgers and Cubs the Tokyo Series. We're fifteen minutes away for first pitch keys to the game. Our next I'm Tim Kases, the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio.
Speaker 1: Nowek this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on tap on your home for the blue all.
Speaker 2: Season long Dodgers and Cubs in the Tokyo Series from Japan. Yoshiamamoto on the mound, first pitch coming up in just a few minutes before that, head back out to the two guys on the call, Tim Neverttrick Monday.
Speaker 3: Getting ready for the first pitch of this one tonight as the Dodgers and the Cubs take on each other game one of one sixty two. The Dodgers will be the visiting team in both of these games. Yoshinobu Yamamoto gets the start. He comes off a seven and two season with a three ERA opposing left handed chote I Monaga. Imanaga had a tremendous first season in Major League Baseball. He went fifteen and three with an ERA of two ninety one. He made twenty nine starts for the Cubs. He in a short period of time, became their ace.
Speaker 9: You're going to find out about Yamamoto one of the issues that he had last year. I mean, he was very good once he got to the wheels back on the track, but the first inning was problematic. ERA in the first inning of games that he pitched, ERA right at six. After the first inning, it went down to two and a quarter, so there was a big transition in the big pitch obviously is the splitter, because his off speed pitch is a very low batting average against a season ago.
Speaker 3: Key Ke Hernandez is in the starting lineup tonight, a right handed bat against Iemon Naga.
Speaker 7: Again, no Mookie bets tonight. He's already back in.
Speaker 3: Los Angeles as the Dodgers and Cubs get ready to set sail on this twenty twenty five season and defense of a World Series title. Dodgers Cubs coming up from Tokyo.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you very much, guys, first pitch, will we come back? Don't forget David vat Day's got all the postgame best sabbies. When this one is over, enjoy it. It's the Tokyo Series where we come back on, Tim Katson, this is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers audio nowhere