Speaker 1: We're Tom of Lorenzos and this is the Bitter Kitten Movie Club. I do not have an intro nailed down yet, and this is the third time we're trying to record it. Yeah, I just don't have a Hello kittens, welcome back to the tablet. But this is the Bitter Kitten Movie Club. It is a supplemental edition of the Pop Style Opinion Fest where each week we look at a movie and unpack its themes, motives, whatever. It's just a little short supplement and it gets attached every week to a review of said movie. This week's movie is Zola from twenty twenty by director Janique so Bravo, starring Taylor Page and Riley Keyo and Coleman Domingo and Nicholas Braun. Now part of the reason I picked this, and at the moment I am picking all the films, but I actually do want us to do something a little more collaborative here.
Speaker 2: We wanted something you know, quick.
Speaker 1: Right, And I'm the film guy. He's the fashion guy.
Speaker 2: He went to film school.
Speaker 1: Hello, right, and he was the fashion guy. But I've mentioned this before. What we're trying to do is is a range of genres of styles and of eras. But the one thing we need to have for this to work, at least as I have envisioned it, is that all of these films should be available on streaming platforms. If you have to go and rent them and stuff like that, Hey, more power to you. I'd love it if you were following along. They're very different, but I want the most number of people to be able to watch whatever we're watching every week. So we pick from streamers and we try and and mix it up a little bit. And when I looked at the first month last month's movies, I was like, that's awfully white. Like I just picked four very white movies, no female directors, anything like that. And I was like, all right, so we need a little bit more diversity in our in our picks. I wanted the next film to be fairly recent, so that's how we settled on Zola. Jennie Sabrava the director, as a black woman. And it's a rarity to get any Hollywood movies directed by black women. And I felt like this movie, in particular, you kind of needed the black woman to be telling this story to give it the the the verisimilitude, the truth that it required. I actually think you needed a black woman to do that, because there are uncomfortable scenes, There are uncomfortable things being said, and there are even funny things being said that in the hands of a white director or a white male director would not have worked. Real quick because I just set it before we flipped on the mics. There's a scene with ts Madison which we absolutely cannot quote. I cannot quote a single word that she says in that scene. She's so funny, hilarious. But it's also a white director could not have directed that scene in no way. I mean, it would have been problematic for a white director to direct that. And that's just a classic. That's like the best example I have. I mean, Jenique Sobravo is a talented director. I'm not suggesting that only her identity is. Actually one of the things that I loved about her direction, and especially in the early parts of the film, was the way she pritified the world of stripping like it was harp music, harpstrings plucking, really well done, and you know, she's trying on different outfits in front of a mirror, and who do you want to be Today's and that sort of thing. And I did I loved that. There were certain aspects of the film that I didn't love. But I'm moving ahead of my up too quick. Why don't we start with this, Zola, if you don't know, is based is a film, as far as I know when, it's the only major Hollywood film that is based entirely on a Twitter.
Speaker 2: Thread, which is insane.
Speaker 1: Yes, a woman named Aziah King started a thread on twenty fifteen on Twitter and it went viral and it was this long. I don't even know how many tweets were in it, like one hundred, Yeah, like one hundred tweets telling the story of how she hooked up with another dancer, a stripper. They were both strippers, went down to Florida to make some money stripping, got caught up in sex trafficking, and all these things unhappened, All these wild and insane things happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's a and then he got picked up by Rolling Stone magazine that wrote the article, David Kushner, I believe, and he wrote the article and that's why that's how everyone found out about it.
Speaker 1: Well, it did go viral first, and there were like, I don't know, I think it was Nicki Minaj Eva de Verne, like a lot of prominent black women on social media, were the ones that caught up with this story and said, you all need to read this. This is amazing. And I will say I have read the tweet threat and Isaiah King has away with words. She is witty and funny as hell.
Speaker 2: She said that she kind of embellished he in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah she did, but it's all true.
Speaker 2: It really happens.
Speaker 1: The other girl, Stephanie has Jessica. Oh Jessica, she's Stephanie in the movie. She does not agree, And I do want to unpack a little bit of that, but let's start it with the movie itself again. I think only a woman could direct a story about sex trafficking in a manner that allows it to still occasionally be funny. I do think the film suffers from some tonal ships that it cannot reconcile. But in the beginning of the film, all of the directing is just kind of joyous to watch. There's just such a joy in depicting these characters. And you know, when you get into films about sex workers, I'm always like, I have my antenna up, like are they treating them with respect? Are they putting them up on a pedestal, or are they dirtifying everything that they do, because you know, there's various ways to look at sex workers. I mean, respect would be the number one thing. If you're not respecting them, then that's not a story worth telling. However, I don't know. I think the film did a wonderful job of threading the needle of showing that sex work doesn't necessarily have to be the sole, crushing, horrifying thing, like Riley Keo's character couldn't give a shit either way. By the same token, there is that scene in the hotel room where she sleeps with like twenty guys on one night, and they keep showing Sola cleaning the sheets off and everything, and the sheets are very clean, like, but they are making a point that this is still dirty work, Like this is she's still having sex with twenty guys in one night, Like there's there's a toll on the body, there's a toll on the room that you're doing everything.
Speaker 2: I mean, they show her taking a shower and then you can see that you know it's it's yeah, it's no fun for them.
Speaker 1: Of course, there's also a very very clever scene with the two of them in restroom stalls, side by side, and at first they're showing she's showing like Sola's ass, and I'm like, why is she showing the black girl's ass and she's not doing this with the white girl. But then the white girl gets up off the toil and this is mean. But like Zola, who is not a sex workers, she does stripping, but she doesn't have sex with clients. I have to be blunt here. Sola gets off the toilet and the toilet's clear. Stephanie gets off the toilet and her pee is like very very you know, not clear, and stuff like that. As good as the film is about depicting sex work and not falling into a lot of traps, I do feel it was a little judgmental. And I think part of that is because Zola herself is judgmental about women who do sex work, And that is one of the issues with the film is that it's based on this Twitter thread. But a Twitter thread is not a movie, and if you are, if you try and turn it into a movie and keep everything about that intact, including the woman the writer's somewhat judgmental attitude towards sex workers, then it sort of permeates the film itself. I'm sorry, go ahead, right.
Speaker 2: I have to say that I watched the movie back in twenty twenty and I loved it. Absolutely love the movie. It's my kind of movie. I love movie about real people. I like movie about someone who struggles or who doesn't have a lot of money. It, I don't know, it grounds me in a way. I know it's fantasy. I know it's a movie. It's created, it's not real real, But when I watch movies like that, I always go like, Wow, I am a privileged person and.
Speaker 1: I'm checking into that shitty hotel, and at least I.
Speaker 2: Feel like I am and uh and then people, yeah, struggle. So I do love movies like that, and I think the movie does a very good job. I also like the fact that the movie tries to tell both stories, both sides of the story because in a funny way, yeah, because later on, Jessica, the real woman, said that she it was all a Ziah. You know, it wasn't her. She is the one who convinced her. There's this, you know, these two versions of the real story. But the story is that as I used to work at a Hooters, Hooters restaurant as a waitress, and then Jessica was was a customer and then offer her, you know, got her caught up in this thing and said, you know, let's go to Let's go to Florida, Let's go to Miami.
Speaker 1: But I do have a little bit, you know, It's fine. The film has a perspective, and it is Sola's perspective, but at no point does the film give Stephanie Riley Keo's character. It's not terribly sympathetic to her. And I get it, she's a crazy bitch and everything, and she's a user and whatever else you can say about her, but at the end of the day, she's being sex trafficked, and that is very very clear at the end of the movie that she is being trafficked, and the movie just doesn't have a lot of sympathy of her. She's just some crazy bitch, And I get it. Like I said, it's Zola's perspective, it's Sola's story. But the film is enjoyable and watchable, but I think it is flawed because you cannot base an entire movie off of someone's Twitter thread with out there being some deficiency in the storytelling or tonal shift. That's the big one. Like I said, the first half of the movie, there's a lot of comedy in it, not like rip roaring comedy, but more like cringe comedy.
Speaker 2: Half the time you have the whole thing, I think.
Speaker 1: But then the second half of the film it's like, well, no, this is a hostage situation, like these women are in serious danger and are being asked to do things that they don't want to do. Well, one of them at least doesn't want to do and I and the film couldn't handle that shift. And so at the end of the film you have this very tragic figure in Riley Kieu, but the film is not willing or able to unpack that she's just the crazy white bitch, and that is a failing of the film, I think.
Speaker 2: I think because his sides more with the tweets that were they should have developed that we're produced by Zariah Zoah and not Jessica.
Speaker 1: I just want to say. Jeremi O. Harris, the celebrated playwright, is a co writer of the film along with Jenny so Bravo, and they did good with it. They did well with it. There's there's wit, and there's there's pathos and there's a lot going on in it. But like I said, I don't think unless you're willing to rewrite parts of that story to tell something a little more holistic, then you're just getting a very one sided tale. I'm not I'm not coming to the white girls defense. Like she's she's a pretty awful person, but she's also clearly come on, she's compromised, she's not very smart, she doesn't have a lot of opportunities, and she has the kids and she's been traffic I.
Speaker 2: Do appreciate that they make these characters complicated.
Speaker 1: I agree with that as as they.
Speaker 2: Are in real life. As the whole boyfriend thing, it's pathetic.
Speaker 1: Nicholas Brown is very funny but also pathetic, pathetic.
Speaker 2: Aesthetic, and you're like, wow, there are guys like that out there.
Speaker 1: There are guys like that. Apparently the real guy is married and has a kid.
Speaker 2: Now, Oh really? Yeah, but I was like, my god, how can he do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's real, And he says, like I mean, at some point, Sola finds out that she's been doing this for a while now, like girls in yeah, and line to him about what the trip is going to be about, So you know, she's not that.
Speaker 1: No liepending her. But I don't think the film has much room, has any sympathy for her. And at the end of the day, it's like, well, she is a trafficked.
Speaker 3: Woman, Like come on. One of the things I want to talk about when we get back is uh is that I want to unpack a little bit more of that when we get back.
Speaker 1: So let's take a break and we'll be right back. We are back and we're talking about in Sola, and I do want to reiterate I think Sola is a very entertaining film.
Speaker 2: I think it is.
Speaker 1: I think the performances are great. I think the art direction and costume design are great, and it is well worth your time. But I mean I also think there are some flaws. One of the things I read I read an interview with Iszaiah after the film came out, and she said something that I was like, yeah, that should be in the film, because I struggled with this. Zola has a cell phone and about one thousand dollars in cash on her Why why didn't she just I mean, there were opportunities for her to leave, to call an uber or call a cab whatever. At one point she's she goes and she sits by the pool in the hotel, and I'm like, well, okay, why you're being trafficked like you're in a very dangerous situation. And I couldn't. I couldn't reconcile that during the whole film. I'm like, Okay, I need some sort of statement here. Why is she so hopeless? Why why does she feel she can't leave? And as Iyah said in an interview, I stayed because I was worried about her. I felt that someone needed to take care of her because I was. The film severely needed that, it needed something to indicate that. I also would have changed that.
Speaker 2: I don't want to take that whole situation lightly exactly by the fact that what I want to say, you said, you know, sometimes it's very hard to leave a situation, to leave, Yeah, you were the abuse or I mean we see that all the time. Women stay because they they were afraid to leave, And I think that was kind of the situation.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that I didn't get that in the performances. I well, I think I mean she was scared, of course.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean Colmen Dominga had a gun and he said, I'll go after you, and I think they had a life back home, like she had a boyfriend of life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she married him. I think, yeah, it's so cool.
Speaker 2: Anyway, so they had a life back you know, in Detroit, right, I believe. Yeah. So it's not like they could just go someplace house. And I think the common Domingo's character knew that that he could go.
Speaker 1: I said he was going to go after them and threaten them. But even so, get out of that situation, like you are in a danger. That gang bang scene, like they walked into that, and I'm like, why, I don't I don't quite get this. I don't get why. I guess the film was saying that, Like I didn't get how she was able to just not have sex like she just did, Like, Okay, you're being trafficked. Your pimp has a gun, but so far and not so far through the whole movie, she never once has She's able to turn down all these guys.
Speaker 2: I think the point they were trying to make in the beginning that they were always going for the white girl and not the black girl. Yeah, they made that point in the beginning that the guy said I was expecting a white girl or something like that. So I think they lightly.
Speaker 1: Touched that, but too much missing from I think the story. There's there's just stuff that I feel like they could have touched on a little bit better. But I'm going to drop that. What did you want to talk about?
Speaker 2: Well, maybe she got away with it because she pretty much made uh Riley's character make more money, So maybe she was like a second pimp kind of.
Speaker 1: Well he did treat her like that, Yeah, but maybe that's why. I just felt like some of that was not quite making sense to me in terms of what I know about sex trafficking and prostitution. Like, Okay, you can just say no, but I do few.
Speaker 2: I mean, was watching the movie. I felt, really, I felt like the whole thing was real. I mean, I can imagine them.
Speaker 1: Can I imagine the hopelessness of being in that situation?
Speaker 2: And I can't. It made sense that those guys were the Pamson Town and they were Yes, they were mad that these people were traveling and making money, So that whole thing made sense.
Speaker 1: Yes, it all goes to a very to a sort of violent ending that actually the film did a good job of setting up.
Speaker 2: You see that happening.
Speaker 1: No, it's good filmmaking. The one thing I wanted to point out Jennicks se Bravo took over as as a director because originally James Franco. And this is something that I get into in the in the review that we wrote up for this is that the film feels like such a snapshot of like fifteen or ten years ago. James Franco was originally on to direct it, but then all of these me too allegations came out and his whole career crashed, And and that's to the benefit of the film because a black woman took over. I can't imagine that.
Speaker 2: I can't even.
Speaker 1: I cannot imagine any white man directing this story and doing it justice.
Speaker 2: No, I can't. I can't imagine.
Speaker 1: I mean, it would have been exploitive, it would have been racial language everything.
Speaker 2: I mean it. It had to be a black.
Speaker 1: Person at least at least yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: Even better a black woman. Yeah, because you needed that language, you need those situations, And I don't think you could get away with the.
Speaker 1: Entire movies the eyes of a black woman. Yeah, it's not just that, but she's dealing with like crazy white people and a threatening black man. Like there's a lot there. I do want to say the two leaves.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, they're both so good.
Speaker 1: I don't understand why. I know Taylor Page is working, but I would have thought that this would have made much bigger star. She is so good in this, and so much of what she has to do is like deadpan because she cannot react.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate the fact that they played two different characters. They make sure that there are two different people. They're together in this, but they are two different people. And God, that woman has no no shame in nothing, meaning that she will go there and she will.
Speaker 1: Do She created a person that is not her, and she created her from the ground up, and she is a fully believable person.
Speaker 2: I went back and read the tweets again and and people say, should you read the tweets first before you see the movie, and there's different opinions about it. People say, no, no, no, see the movie and then read the tweets because the tweets are a terre hill I mean, very very funny, and she has pictures and they used a lot of the language using There's one of the tweets that cracked me up. She said, y'all want to hear a story about why me and this bitch here fell out. Yeah, and then she said, it's kind of a long story, but you know, and they they quote that they used that in the movie, but they also give you know, Riley's character that she has to tell her story, which is.
Speaker 1: Also yes, Christian completely. I didn't think. I don't know if the irony was built into it or whatever, but I was like, all right, that's Elvis's granddaughter, Elvis who made his entire career off of ripping off black artists. And I'm like watching her through the entire movie speaking in African American vernacular, and I'm like, there is there are levels. This very meta and that's it. I enjoyed it. I recommend it. It's like an eighty six minute watch. It goes into some dark places, as it would have to given what it's about, but it's actually a fairly entertaining story. And the four leads, the four people at the center of it, they just.
Speaker 2: First movie's first movie.
Speaker 1: No I have no, I can't.
Speaker 2: I don't remember.
Speaker 1: You were always bringing these questions right.
Speaker 2: Now because you always know everything. I have to see. I'm this is me. I was entertained by it. I left out loud many many times, but at the same time made me think, made me, you know, as usual, reflect and think about, you know, life out there, and I think that's that's that's I think the movie does a good job when he does it.
Speaker 1: I agree. I Oh, and one final thing on the costume design. What I really liked about the costume design was that it was very, very specific and it tended to avoid cliche. And and one of the things the costume designer, whose name I do not have in front of me but is in the in the review, she said, I thought this was an interesting choice. Zola never wears a skirt in the whole movie. Oh, she's only in pants or shorts in the whole movie. And she did that because she didn't want to fall into cliches about how sex workers, yeah, always like an easy access skirt or whatever. And she's got a great little outfan on through most of the film. It's a blue plaid like bra top and blue pad boy shorts. And that was a reference to Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: As soon as I read that, I was like, that's clever, and that's correct for the character.
Speaker 2: I think. I remember the Cosum design saying that she was like inspired by Clueless. She wants character to have.
Speaker 1: She was also inspired, yes, she said she was inspired by Clueless. Where she wanted Dereka Cole Washington, that's her name. She wanted to give them memorable costumes that popped on screen. The other thing is at the end of the film, Zola's wearing and it's from ASOS. I looked it up. Hysterical look the glitter pants, the glitter pants and the crop top. And again it's not cliche. It's not the cliche of what you think a stripper would dress. But it actually I'm like, yeah, that kind of is stripper would wear something from Aso's like that in twenty fifteen. So anyway, a recommended film, And if you're listening to this podcast, first please head to our site because we'll have a full review with pictures and clips and everything else. So and we'll be back next week with oh oh, Actually, I wanted to mention this. Part of the reason we picked this film for this week is because it's lighthearted, it's modern, et cetera. And next week I'm gonna cry through most of this podcast.
Speaker 2: His favorite movie of all time.
Speaker 1: Yes, Wings a Desire nineteen eighty seven foundational text in my life and I'm probably going to Yeah, he loves loves throughout it. Anyway, we'll be back next week with that, So take care of yourself, love you mean it. Bye bye bye