Speaker 1: All right, this is the dumbest show on the radio. Can't wait to get into a discussion about a sports reporter who's in hot water. But before we do, this segment has brought you by her title barbecue locations in Mansfield, Fort Worth, Arlington, two locations at Globe Life Field. So we're going to the game tonight, like the Rangers are playing at home tonight, right they are, And the roof is open, Ben, Okay.
Speaker 2: The roof is open.
Speaker 1: Go get you some Hurtato while you're at Globe Life Field tonight. There's also a location in Dallas at the Farmer's Market and it is good, Brandon, Hurtato's spent on Mexicue. Mexican barbecue. Some of the best barbecue could ever have in your life, Hertato Barbecue. But with more on this new story about a sports reporter in hot water, here's Kevin.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you said that about baseball, Ben, because Braves reporter Wiley Ballard is his name, which I would go ahead and just say red flag already with the name Wiley Ballard.
Speaker 2: But he's there, a roving field reporter.
Speaker 3: He's their Noxie and he is they're in Toronto So he's up as a Braves reporter talking to what you I think would be Blue Jays fans, but he's looking for Braves fans up at some sky lounge.
Speaker 2: So here is the audio from last night.
Speaker 4: I had a lot of fun up here off the coroner rooftop. Who do we got here? What's your name? My name is Lauren Lawrence? All right, and I'm Kayla.
Speaker 2: Okay, who's Lawrence? She said, my name is Lauren, and he call her Lawrence. Let me hear it again.
Speaker 4: My name's Lauren Lawrence, all right, and I'm Kayla. Kayla. And you guys hang out the rooftop lounge often once a year I come out to visit. Okay, well we timed it pretty well. All right. Good. How are you guys feeling roof for the Braves today?
Speaker 3: You know I should I should describe the women yep, blonde, probably early to mid thirties.
Speaker 2: It's dangerous.
Speaker 5: Maybe late twenties, I would say, more mid twenties, late twenties.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I thought it was two. I thought an older and a younger one.
Speaker 5: Oh they look the same age.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe bad scatting for that other one to tell that. It's so pixelated. You just can't tell. That felt like more of Ben's projection on what he wanted it to be.
Speaker 5: Both very attractive women.
Speaker 2: We can see period. You can't say that as far as we know from the neck up.
Speaker 5: Ye started tell Yeah, once a year, I come out to visit.
Speaker 4: Okay, we timed it pretty well. All right, good. How are you guys feeling root for the Braves today?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping for the best.
Speaker 4: What about you? Are you Braves fan? Now? Not quite quiet? All right, I'm gonna I'm gonna go to work up here, guys, come luck the rest of the way. Okay, Wiley, we've got five innings, four innings to get the numbers. Come on it, get us some more Braves fans. All right, So they want me to get your number.
Speaker 2: They want you to get that.
Speaker 4: I'm dead serious, they're saying to my right now. Shouldn't believe it because she thinks you guys are are not making this up. Even if you guys weren't to, I might use that in the future. That's actually pretty good move. This is unbelievable. So the best part of this right now is that Wiley could totally be faking and this might be the new move. You just walk around with a fan duel microphone and the ear piece in and convinced fans that they're actually on TV. I should have thought years ago. I am speechless. I got the number. We're good.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got the number. We're good.
Speaker 4: So he did.
Speaker 2: She did pull out her number her phone, and he's playing his phone, and he got the better one, the one on the right. Oh, you think she's the better one.
Speaker 5: I mean yeah, if you read the comments, a lot of people were saying that he missed out on the more attractive one.
Speaker 2: Wait, the one on the left is the more attractive one.
Speaker 4: That's what?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: All right, again, I think they're both attractive.
Speaker 5: We can get into actual conversation of whether it's creepy or appropriate or not.
Speaker 2: Just trying to fill time in a baseball game is what it felt like to me. So I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think he would he would have taken whatever, because they were He was about to throw it back to those guys for thirty seconds, and then they made a comment you got work to do, and he on the fly off, Mike went for it like he.
Speaker 1: Been to me, this is all just a broadcast bit. Now you know it started because of the other guys. He's trying to interact with them and have chemistry and they're like, come on, man, get her number, and so he's just doing a bit almost like remote control.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't find that to be offensive, and as a woman, is that offensive the whole bit, because if it.
Speaker 5: Is, I'm I think, well, I think they just said it not thinking he would actually do it. I think it was a joke like all right, man, you got a few innings to get those numbers, we'll come back to you, not actually do it on the microphone. I don't think it's professional in any way, but I do agree it made me laugh. I thought it was funny.
Speaker 2: Isn't that what it is?
Speaker 5: More of a minor league, not major league, dude.
Speaker 6: I think I think all this, I think all this is fair. Okay, So, first of all, what happened, in my opinion, is that the play by play and the color guy that are not there revealed that they think he's talking to hot chicks. So that's how the whole thing gets going.
Speaker 2: Like beyond a man.
Speaker 6: In the stands, they're not there, and they're the ones like, hey man, you got a couple more innings to get a number. So they're immediately starting this thing, this whole separate thing.
Speaker 2: Oh, get out there and throw the football with dead exactly. It used to be, it used to be more commonly.
Speaker 6: Accepted that men could go that chick's hot. And then there was a backlash against all of that. Yeah, okay, And then especially within the world we're realm of sports broadcasting where it's hard for a lot of women to break through and all these kinds of things. It takes on all this other But at the base level, here's three men going, these chicks are hot, you should get their number. That's basically what's just happening, kind of impromptu, and then he is like, okay, I'm gonna continue the bit, so he leans in. And the real hero to me of all of this is the chick on the right going, oh, they want you to get the numb it's then that wants the number hut right, and she's like, I'm game.
Speaker 4: Let along.
Speaker 2: She's playing along with it. It's all fun and yucks. It's all fun and yucks.
Speaker 6: And I when I start seeing these sorts of things and how they unfold on the internet, you know, just public discourse is like one of the things that happens with these broader conversations about how men act and how women act in public and what they project and all that is people have sexual instincts.
Speaker 2: They have them.
Speaker 6: That's how the world is repopulated and produced and all of this time, time and time again, people are attracted to other people, and we've kind of gotten into this thing where like, Okay, you kind of have to suppress that because it's like you said, it's quote unquote inappropriate or this isn't the time and place or all this stuff.
Speaker 2: But this realm, the jock realm, it.
Speaker 6: Used to be perfectly acceptable to behave like that, and now there's all this backlash, and if you really want to go deep into it, there's all this now backlash.
Speaker 2: The other way of look.
Speaker 6: At how we've treated you know, masculinity and public and public and look at this generation of young men and how they don't even know how to go out into the world and court women anymore because they're just on their phone. And like that's why this is blown up on the internet, because these conversations have been going on for like the last ten years of masculinity, what masculinity means, what's acceptable all of that stuff.
Speaker 3: I'd like to know because the most down chick that we know is Emily Jones, and that is her job. Because the people who are really mad are female reporters who are like, okay, so that she was putting a position where she kind of couldn't say no on TV, and if she does say no, then she gets slut shame forever because it's on TV. That's all these people are saying, and a lot of these women, female reports are saying reverse the roles, like I would be fired for this. Like if Flora Stickles for the Rangers went out and did that and got the number.
Speaker 2: Of two guys. Yes, well some hot guys down there, could you get their numbers?
Speaker 1: I would love to know how broadcaster who told her to get the numbers would be fired.
Speaker 6: No, No, I mean, you guys are right, And it's like this, this sort of behavior fifteen years ago, nobody thought anything about it. But the Me Too movement happened, right, and the way people talk about gender and masculinity and all these things has changed dramatically. But there's also this thing out in the world where, especially for young attractive people, it's okay, to go out there and court one another.
Speaker 2: Okay, and you know, so she took her phone out.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: So are people saying that the entire broadcast crew should be fired the color of the play by play and the end the stands guy, because they're all culpable, right if they're all doing a bit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, should she never be allowed to be back in a stadium?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: What are what are we doing here? Who else canceled? Why don't we continue to talk about this?
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we'll carry this over and have this conversation in the next half in about four minutes. Don't go in here less than a little over three minutes. We'll be back with the second half of that conversation.