Speaker 1: They were identical twins, raised the same and living nearly identical lives, but how they differ from other twins is that both of them would become killers. The first murder came in nineteen seventy one, and then nearly twenty years later another series of murders would leave four victims dead and investigators without answers. Between the two of them, there would be five victims total who lost their lives. But the fact that they didn't operate and kill together left behind a very interesting question about how they both became murderers, and the age old topic of nature versus nurture suddenly found itself at the center of the story with a whole new perspective. This is the story of the Spahalski Brothers, a k a. The Killer Twins.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked Ingram.
Speaker 1: A true crime podcasting. The following material in more maturial audience listener discretion. Okay, so last week I said I was in a bit of a funk. I'm doing a lot better, I want to say that, but there's still a clear separation between Nicole's energy levels and mine. Oh my god, you need to tone it down.
Speaker 2: I know, we probably this is where we would have benefited from recording this because I was just unhinged. You what you mean camera Yeah yeah, yeah, oh yes, with a video.
Speaker 1: You were unhinged for the last ten minutes for sure. For the record. When I say tone it down, I mean live your life. But I just I'm not there with you.
Speaker 2: I know we're at very different levels lately, very different, which is actually usually opposite typically because usually yeah, it's very much so reversed. But yeah, I don't know I'm doing I'm doing good over here.
Speaker 1: I guess you guys should have seen her hit the record on on her soundboard. She like did a like raise her arm up above her shoulder and like did a bunch of circles like she was winding up, and then came raining down on the record button. It was it was something to see.
Speaker 2: It was a lot. It was a lot, I'll admit it was a lot, but it felt really like natural. It just felt like I had to get it out fair enough.
Speaker 1: I mean, if it's natural, do it, just like if it feels natural to sign up over on Patreon. So a big shout out to our patrons who signed up this week Jennifer Sarus, Natalie Smith, David g Hattie, Dustman, Elaine l Beverly Boher Elle, and Brand Dizzle. They all signed up over on Patreon, and it just felt natural for them too to look at that exclusive content behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. I just set you up, so damn good there.
Speaker 1: No, I'm just good at taking a setup and figuring it out from there. It's all on me, not you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all you.
Speaker 1: It's all me.
Speaker 2: It's all you. I'm just here, You're just here. I'm just here, as I was being completely not spend just like sat there staring at me so pretty much. Maybe I need a better audience for my shenanigans. Yeah, whatever that was.
Speaker 1: I do have to say, though, before we get any further, this is another two parter. We're having back to back two parters. My bad. I'm sorry. That's totally on me. I found this case and I'm like, oh, I got to do this story. So I started researching, and by the time I was like deep into the research and it was too late to switch cases, I realized it was going to be a two parter. So I did not plan back to back two parters.
Speaker 2: It all happens, and we hadn't had one for quite some time. That's true. I think you're okay.
Speaker 1: I think you think so.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I appreciate that. I'll try not to do two partters here for in the next few episodes, but we got to get through this one, and ding dang, it is a story and a half. I gotta say that.
Speaker 2: Well, I just also have to say, some people really like two parters. That's that's true, and there isn't a crazy wait in between, so we can do it.
Speaker 1: That's true. I mean, when we first started this podcast, we were only releasing one episode a week, and you had it to wait. You had to wait a whole week for the second part. So the fact that you know, two episodes a week, it's it's a lot better for that.
Speaker 2: Regard now totally. But yeah, this does sound like a.
Speaker 1: Doozy, it does. Are you ready for it?
Speaker 2: I am okay.
Speaker 1: Well, let's dive right into the story, shall we. There is something inherently strange about growing up alongside someone who has lived the exact same life as you, not in the general sense of siblings sharing a household, but in the much rare case of twins, two people who arrive in the world at the same moment, raised under the same roof and shape by the same parents, the same routines, and the same expectations within the same environment. From the outside, it can seem almost like a controlled experiment. If two people are given nearly identical starting points, how different can their lives really become? No, of course it's not an experiment their children, we understand that, But for most families the answer is simple. Even identical twins grow into their own person. They develop different interests, different personalities, different ways of seeing the world, different tastes. They might look the same, but over time their similarities begin to fade beneath everything that makes them individuals. One might settle into something stable and predictable, while the other drifts into a completely different direction. There is usually a point where their paths begin to split clearly enough that no one would confuse their lives ever again. But on the other hand, sometimes that separation never really happens. Now, when people look back on stories like this, they often search for a clear explanation, something in the upbringing, sometimes in the environment, sometimes in the psychology that makes sense of everything that happened, But the truth is rarely that clean. More often, what you find is a collection of ordinary details taken on their own, They don't seem like they should lead anywhere significant. It is only when those details are placed in order, when the full timeline is laid out, that the weight of it all starts to become clear. And even then, though it doesn't always answer the question people keep coming back to, how can two people begin in the same place and end up leaving behind something so difficult to explain? Now, this is a story that unfolds in two different pieces. At first, it looks like one life going off course path that leads into violence, into prison, into futures that seem contained within consequences of one single act. But as time goes on, another story begins to take shape right alongside the other one. Robert and Stephen Spahalski were born on December twelfth, nineteen fifty four, in Elmira, New York, a small city in the southern part of the state that at the time offered a fairly ordinary kind of upbringing. Elmira was not a place that people typically associated with extreme violence or high profile crimes. It was the kind of community where families stayed rooted, where their lives and routines were rather predictable, and where most followed a linear path forward from school to work to family. It was in many ways the American dream kind of life, you know, the happy family life. Now. Right from the beginning, Robert and Stephen shared everything. See. They were in fact identical twins, the only children of Bernard and Anita Spihalski, and their early lives unfolded side by side in a way that few people ever experienced. They grew up in West Elmira, attending Elmira Free Academy, moving through the same classrooms and neighborhoods, and having the same social circles. People who knew them during those years often saw them as a pair two boys who were closely connected, not just by appearance, though, but by the way they moved through the world together. They were both athletic, both involved in gymnastics, and Robert in particular also spent time competing in track. They were social, outgoing, and didn't stand apart from other teenagers in any dramatic way outside of being twins. If anything, they just blended in. There was nothing in those early years that clearly pointed towards but their lives would eventually become no obvious signs that would have stood out to teachers, neighbors, or even people close to them as something deeply concerning teenagers. They were energetic, restless, and at times unpredictable, but nothing hinting towards you know this darkness. It was honestly just regular behaviors that adults often expect young people to grow out of as they move into adulthood. But there were changes happening beneath that surface. When the twins were around twelve years old, their parents divorced, and from that point forward they were raised primarily by their mother. It is difficult to measure exactly how much that shift affected the two, but it marked a very clear turning point in the structure of their home life. The stability that had been there in the early years was now altered, and like in many family situations, that change carried some very quiet consequences. The routines they once had became a lot less consistent, boundaries were less defined, and the sense of order began to loosen. As they moved into their teenage years, the lack of structure started to show. Now that shift wasn't some that was immediate or dramatic enough to draw any sort of concern, But it was steady things regarding the kinds of decisions that they were making, the environments they were moving through, and the way that they responded to authorities. It all pointed to a direction that at the time may not have seemed extraordinary, but in hindsight it clearly marked the beginning of something much deeper now. Robert in particular, began attracting attention from law enforcement in July of nineteen seventy one, at just sixteen years old, he was arrested for driving a stolen vehicle. This was, of course, no minor incident by any means, certainly not something that could be brushed off as a misunderstanding. For example, the theft itself required, you know, intent, taking something that didn't belong to him, then using it and getting caught in the process. It was an offense that placed him firmly on the radar of local authorities, even if the consequences at that stage were still relatively limited, being the fact that he was a juvenile.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, but I wasn't expecting that crime to be so intense. I was thinking it would have been something a little bit more minor, you know, but right boom.
Speaker 1: Bang, right into the theft of a vehicle.
Speaker 2: That's a big deal.
Speaker 1: It is, It definitely is. It's not something that should be downplayed. I mean, it's certainly not murder or anything, but it's definitely more than stealing a chocolate bar or a couple.
Speaker 2: Dollars from someone you know exactly.
Speaker 1: Now, what made this more concerning was how quickly it was followed by something else.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 1: That's the thing here, because only weeks after that arrest, Robert was charged once again, this time for setting fire to part of his high school. Oh now, this arson introduced a different kind of behavior into the mix, something more destructive, far less impulsive than taking a car for a drive, but still escalating. It showed that there was a willingness to cause damage without a concern for the broader consequences, a mindset that was beginning to move beyond simple teen rebellion. He was suddenly no longer concerned for infrastructure, for jobs, for people's safety, that sort of thing. And by October of that year, he had pleaded guilty to the earlier charge and was sentenced to serve time in jail on weekends. The fact that he was a juvenile, right.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, I mean that's super minor, but it could have a big impact.
Speaker 1: I see. Yeah, So this sentence was meant mostly to be like a corrective behavior rather than being like, you know, you're just going straight to jail, and it's being purely punitive. That way, it allowed him to still remain in school, have an education, and be home during the week while still experiencing consequences of his actions and being behind bars on the weekend when typically kids his age are out with freedom.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's what I was going to say, was that would be when he has a bit more free time to get in trouble exactly.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of a rehabilitation, serve some time, and still don't miss a beat.
Speaker 2: In your life, which I don't hate.
Speaker 1: I don't hate it either, to be fair, I don't, but maybe I don't. I think that's there should be a little bit more to it than just oh, go home for the week. You know, maybe you should have counselors following you through school or something like that, or maybe you're still getting your schooling while behind bars. You know, there's a classroom and a juvenile facility something like that, yeah, because there's still a lot of freedom that comes with that, and it gives a sense of are you really serving the full consequence for your actions? You know, almost kind of like, well, I set fire to this and I stole a freaking car, and now I only have to serve two out of seven days in jail for a little while. What kind of consequences are those really?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's something, but yeah, you can still get in a lot of trouble during the week. But I don't know. But he is in an age that he can definitely be reformed, right, So it's difficult. I'm kind of in the middle of it.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a point I want to make here, but I do have it written in this next few sentences in paragraphs, so I'm just going to continue here. Okay. So, for many teenagers, the kind of intervention often serves as a massive turning point, you know, a moment where the reality of the legal system becomes tangible enough to shift the behavior moving forward. However, in that moment, it didn't seem to have the intended effect on him. Instead of acting as a warning, the experience appeared to reinforce something else entirely the idea that he could engage in criminal behavior, face consequences, and still return to mostly his normal life without lasting consequences. So that fact, did it really do serve its purpose the jail time he's out still doing his regular thing. Yeah, just slightly reduced.
Speaker 2: I think for some kids it could probably really work, but for some it really wouldn't. And it's kind of a catch to one to where you find out later whatever dinner work.
Speaker 1: I think you're right on that. Actually, it's a good point now. Stephen during this time was also known to police, though his interactions definitely were not in the same degree as his brother Roberts were. However, on the night of November twenty third, nineteen seventy one, a man by the name of Ronald Ripley was going about what should have been a routine evening. He was forty eight years old and managed a local business in Elmira Heights called the Salad Master Kitchen. Witnesses would later place him inside the store around eleven thirty pm, moving through the closing process, you know, finishing up all the tasks of the day before heading home. For someone in this position, it was likely a very familiar routine. You know, locking up, checking everything one last time, turning off lights, preparing for another ordinary shift close and at that same point, shortly after that, he was seen again. A witness reported seeing Ripley driving at approximately eleven forty five, his car moving through the area without anyone or anything appearing at a place. There was no identification of distress in the situation, no sign that anything was wrong. It looked like the end of a normal day. But some time after that moment, something had changed, because in the following day, November twenty fourth, concern began to build when Ripley did not return home. Now, because Ripley was nowhere to be found the next morning, it was enough to prompt someone close to him, his mother in law, to go looking for him, and when she arrived at the store, she didn't find anything at first, but when she made her way to the basement, that's when she made a horrific discovery. The scene there was violent in a way that left little room for any sort of interpretation. Ronald Ripley had been killed. Investigators were soon called to the scene and quickly determined that the attack had happened inside the building, in a space that Ripley would have felt comfortable with a place where he had control of his surroundings, and that detail alone suggested something very important that whoever was responsible had either been allowed inside or had entered without raising any sort of suspicion. Investigators believed that Ripley had been approached from behind, but there were no signs of a struggle, so this likely indicated that he didn't see this coming, and from there he was struck on the head with a hammer, a forceful impact that would have immediately either disoriented him or at the very least rendered him unable to defend himself. But however, the attack didn't end there. After the initial blow, the assailants switched and used a knife. Ripley was then stabbed over and over repeatedly, and the sheer number of wounds made it clear that this was not a momentary act of panic. It was sustained and carried out with a level of intensity that went beyond what would have been necessary to incapacitate someone. The violence continued, and it was clear that this attack was about ensuring he would not survive, and so Ripley died right there in the basement of his own workplace, right where he was found.
Speaker 2: I just hate that, Like when someone is in an area that they're comfortable in and you know they're not really checking behind them and they're just doing their day to day and something like this terrible happen. Something this terrible happens. I don't know. It makes you just question life a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well, that's supposed to be when you're the most safe, right bail your surroundings, a place where you oh, nor you operate. And yeah, it can make things feel so dark because.
Speaker 2: He's probably was doing what he's done thousands of times. Yeah, and then but this night it just and.
Speaker 1: Then all it took was for some fucked up individual to enter that space and he's no longer safe now. There were there were no clear signs of fourth century I want to make that clear. There was no obvious indication that there was a robbery that had gone wrong or anything, no immediate suspect who could be tied directly to the scene through any physical evidence either. Early theories explored the possibility that Ripley had encountered someone early that night, perhaps offering a ride or coming into contact with someone outside the store, but the evidence inside it suggested otherwise this had been a controlled environment, and whoever was responsible had been close enough to strike from behind without alerting him, and that implied a level of familiarity, or at least a calculated approach that allowed them to move without being noticed. Now, as investigators began working through potential leads, they turned their attention towards individuals already known to local law enforcement. Elmira was not a large city, and police were familiar with those who had a history of criminal activity, particularly younger offenders who had recently come into contact with the system, and one of the names that surface during that process was one of the brothers, Stephen Spahalski. Now, he was known to police, but not in a way that immediately placed him at the center of a crime like this. He was brought in for questioning like others were, and initially denied any involvement. At that stage, there was nothing concrete that forced investigators to press harder. There was no physical evidence that even tied him to the scene. There was no witnesses that placed him in the building at the time of the attack. There was nothing. But as the investigation continued, something shifted, and during a subsequent round of questioning, Stephen changed his account and he admitted that he was the one responsible for the attack, telling investigators that he had killed Ronald Ripley.
Speaker 2: Damn and he's still a teenager at this point, sixteen. Did he freaking work there or something new? Did he know this guy?
Speaker 1: Not that I'm really aware of.
Speaker 2: Holy Hannah, Okay, that is, I don't know. For someone that didn't really get into trouble much, I guess, well a little bit, and is that young and then does a crime like this. It's kind of just I'm freaking hinged.
Speaker 1: Now. I do have to be clear, I don't know if he knew him or not. There definitely has to be some level of connection, whether it's a short term they met that night or what, because being in that store with him shows that they knew each other to some degree, right, Yes, And according to Stephen, the encounter that happened inside it escalated after Ripley actually made an unwonted sexual advance towards him. Now, whether true or not, that account also has some level of familiarity because they are inside the store together at least having a conversation when this alleged sexual advance occurred. Huh, okay, so they must have known each other to some degree the extent, I have no clue. Now, he framed this violence as a reaction something that had been triggered in that moment with that sexual advance, But even within his own version of events, the nature of the attack raised a lot of difficult questions. The level of force that was used, for example, went far beyond what would be expected in a brief confrontation. You know, maybe you're offended by the advance. Sure, maybe you might hit and punch someone quickly. You're not going to all of a sudden go to that.
Speaker 2: Level of murder unless you're almost mentally unstable in a way.
Speaker 1: For sure, or extremely homophobic or whatever. Right, but you've got to have something deep in you to start that and ignite that to begin with. Also, the initial strike with the hammer was delivered from behind, suggesting that whatever had happened, Ripley had not been in a position to defend himself when the attack began. So that would mean if there was an advance, the advance had occurred the situation was de escalated. Ripley then turned his back. Then he was attacked after.
Speaker 2: The fact, Yeah, he had kind of moved on and thought everything was.
Speaker 1: Okay, exactly so the repeated stabbing that followed also extended the violence well beyond a single impulsive reaction. So these details did not disappear simply because there was an explanation attached to them, and they remained part of the reality of what had taken place. But still, even if the details didn't quite match the story, they had their man. Now at that time of the killings, Stephen was just sixteen years old. That alone shaped the legal strategy that followed. Rather than pushing the case through a full trial on a murder charge, which would have carried the possibility of far more severe sense than what he got, the defense moved towards a plea agreement and ultimately Stephen pled guilty to an extremely lenient charge of manslaughter, and instead of facing you know, life in prison, he was given only up to eight years behind bars.
Speaker 2: Oooh okay, that is not enough time for taking someone's life like that.
Speaker 1: Abcinitly not now. It was a resolution that brought the case to a close, at least in illegal sense. Stephen was sent to prison, and what stood out in the years behind bars that followed was interesting because the way Stephen spoke about what he had done. Yeah, you'll like this, and I'm being sarcastic. Clearly, there was little indication of remorse regarding any of his actions. When he addressed the killings, he continued to frame it as something that had a reason behind it, something like something he could justify. Rather than distancing himself from the violence. It seemed like he was just accepting it as something that made sense, something that, you know what, just happened.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, Okay, yeah, I really don't like that, know meither, and.
Speaker 1: That perspective of his didn't soften or quiet over time either. After his conviction, Steven Spahalski's life did not diverge from his criminal behavior. Instead, it became the beginning of a longer and more entrenched cycle, and it would keep bringing him back to the criminal justice system again and again. He was eventually released from prison, there was an opportunity, at least in theory, for him to rebuild some kind of stable life outside of it, but that opportunity never seemed to take hold in any lasting way. Within a relatively short time, he found himself right back into trouble again. The offenses vary between things like robberies, parole violations, and a bunch of other small stuff, but a pattern kept hold. Each time he was released, it followed by another incident that led to his return behind bars. The periods of freedom between incarceration just grew shorter, while the time spent inside became more familiar, and prison became a defining feature of his life. But what made this pattern more unsettling was not just the repetition of his arrests, but the way he continued to frame the violence that had first put him in prison in the very beginning. When he spoke about killing Ronald Ripley. Over the years, he didn't describe it as a mistake or anything he wished he could undo. He maintained that there was a reason behind it, and he justified his actions every single time.
Speaker 2: I wonder if he's doing that because the sentencing was so lenient. Do you think?
Speaker 1: I don't know, But there is that sense in this story between both brothers of actions and the lenient consequences, And it seems like those lenient consequences build up and give them that sense of I don't know, entitlement, of sense of power, sense of untouchability, all these sort of things like well, I'll just get away with it, it doesn't matter I can brag. I can do what I want, because hey, I don't really serve much time anyways.
Speaker 2: But it's pretty fucked up to take someone's life and brag and to think that that was okay or justified or to have no remorse whatsoever.
Speaker 1: But that's exactly what he did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what was he doing for those eight years when he was serving that time? Just counting down the time and tell freedom and he's here because he has to.
Speaker 1: Be basically and just talking about it like it was something that had to happen in the meantime.
Speaker 2: Damn. Yeah, that's that's pretty gross.
Speaker 1: It is. Now, as time went on, Stephen's presence in the public eye began to diminish, his case faded into the background, and if the story had ended there, it would have followed a pattern that was mal disturbing, was not entirely uncommon, a violent crime committed at a young age, with a confession and a conviction. But that was only part of what had begun within that family, because while Stephen's life continued along that path, moving between prisons and brief periods of release, his brother was still living outside of it all, and for a long time, no one realized that his story was beginning to take a very dark shape as well, because it didn't look that way at first. Now, Robert had shared the same beginnings as Stephen, the same house, the same upbringing the same early drift into trouble during his teenage years. He had already accumulated his own criminal record by that time, and his arrests for theft and arson had suggested a similar disregard for boundaries and consequences, But there was no step into murder. For a while, it appeared that though the two brothers were moving along parallel tracks, each testing its own limits and similar ways. But as the years passed, their lives began to separate in a very specific way. Stephen's world became increasingly contained behind bars, while Robert, on the other hand, remained outside of that structure. He was spending time in and out of jail for various offenses, mind you, but he was never becoming anchored in the system in quite the same way that his brother was. In nineteen seventy three, Robert was convicted of breaking into a music store and stealing thousands of dollars in cash and equipment. When he was caught, he was sentenced to several years in prison, but like many of his later sentences, he didn't serve the full term, and when he was released, the pattern resumed almost immediately. By nineteen seventy six, he had returned to custody, this time for breaking into a high school. Another conviction followed, another sentence, and another stretch behind bars. Now there were moments during this period where his life intersected with his brothers. At one point, both Robert and Stephen were even held in the same correctional facility. Despite the years that had passed and the different directions of their lives, they found themselves in the same environment once again.
Speaker 2: Okay, just a second, I just have to say something here. Why the hell is he getting released early when he's already been in and out. I feel like, if you're in there repeatedly, there should just be no way that you can get out early.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, that's the justice system even today.
Speaker 2: It is. But I just think that's wrong. If you say this is your second or third or fourth whatever, like you need to, it's no that you then serve your whole term, like there's no chance for good behavior to get out early or anything.
Speaker 1: I agree, but there's also more than just good behavior there. I mean today we're dealing with facilities that have way too high capacity of prisoners in them. Yeah, they should only have like one hundred and twenty, and they got like one hundred and fifty, or they got more coming in than they can handle, and they need to move people out so they can fit these higher risk individuals who are coming in.
Speaker 2: Gosh, which is just if you sidn't think about that, that's even more messed up. Really, it really is. Okay, this guy only broke into a music store and stole thousands of dollars, but this guy murdered someone. Okay, so we have to release this person so this other person can be in jail.
Speaker 1: Lesser of two evils. I don't mind whether an individual's rehabilitated or not. Guess what, well, we got to push them out so we can.
Speaker 2: Make room yike swhich is just terrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now back on track a bit though, So the two brothers are put back into prison together. It was like a converted that it wasn't particularly significant, but it really did reflect how closely their paths continued to align even as the circumstances around them shifted. Now, one incident from that time actually stands out in a way that illustrated how those two connections between the two twins could blur. In nineteen seventy eight, there was an attempt to escape from the facility. The plan involved hiding inside a compartment of a vehicle that was being worked on by inmates, using it as a way to bypass security and leave the grounds without any sort of detection. It was a very calculated approach, one that required coordination and timing. However, before it could be carried out, it was exposed someone had informed the authorities, and the attempt was stopped before it could go any further. Now, what made the situation even more unusual was what happened afterwards. Because Robert and Stephen were identical twins, and because neither of them admitted to being responsible for the attempt, authorities were unable to determine which one for certain was actually trying to escape.
Speaker 2: Well, that's bizarre.
Speaker 1: So rather than isolating them, as you know, trying to find the primary individual, they were both punished and both placed in solitary confinement, each serving time. Well, if we don't know which one of you it was, you both get it sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Which is fair enough. But gosh, that's so, I'm sure that's such a unique situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, after his release in nineteen seventy nine, Robert found work as a mechanic helper in Rochester. It was a structured and legitimate work situation, and it was removed from the pattern of criminal activity he had defined much of his early adulthood. For a time, it suggested the possibility that his life might begin to shift in a more conventional direction, but that possibility it didn't hold. By July of nineteen eighty one, he was involved in another major theft, this time targeting a coin collection value at tens of thousands of dollars. At the end of his arrest, although he was sentenced to several years in prison, he served only a short portion of that time before being released once again, and the cycle continued through the early and mid nineteen eighties. Robert moved in and out of custody, accumulating charges and sentences. When he was released again in February of nineteen eighty nine, it was simply another return to the same freedom. Following a period of confinement, he settled in Rochester, a city larger and more complex than the environment he'd grown up in the neighborhoods he moved and went through were not uniform. Some were quieter, some were more stable, but others had a constant flow of activity that made it easier to blend in without any sort of attention being drawn. It was in those spaces that Robert seemed to find his footing, places where anonymity was possible, where people came and went without much scrutiny, and where interactions were often brief and transactional. He also became heavily involved in drug use, particularly crack cocaine, which at the time was spreading rapidly through many urban areas. Now, the addiction became central to the way he lived, influencing his decisions, his relationships, and the way he navigated each and every day. Now, supporting a habit like that requires money, and without a stable or consistent source of income, Robert turned to whatever means were available to him. That included petty crime, small scale drug dealings, and working as a sex worker. The people he met and encountered in those spaces often moved through similar cycles too. Within that context, his behavior didn't necessarily stand out. In fact, it became part of the background a pattern that was just not uncommon in the areas he frequented. Unlike his brother, whose life had been defined early on by a single violent act that changed everything, Robert had not yet crossed that line, that same threshold that Stephen had, but that would change. By the final weeks of nineteen ninety, Robert's life had settled into survival in the moment. Rochester, in particular, the neighborhoods surrounding the Lake Avenue area where he spent much of his time provided the kind of environment where that lifestyle could continue without drawing much attention, and it was within that environment that Robert met Moraine Armstrong. She was twenty four years old, and like many others in the area, her life was not extensively documented beyond the circumstances that connected her to part of the city. What is known, though, is that she was working as a sex worker, navigating the same conditions that Robert was moving through. At some point in the final days of December nineteen ninety, their interactions turned into something other than typical. The exact sequence of events inside Moraine's apartment cannot be reconstructed with complete certainty, but the outcome is clear. There was an argument, likely over money, drugs, or possibly both, but something had shifted the tone of the encounter from transactional to confrontational, and at some point Robert turned violent. He used what was immediately available to him in the apartment, taking an electrical cord from an iron and wrapping it around Moraine's neck, and he pulled tight, draining every ounce of oxygen from her body. Ultimately, on December thirty first, nineteen thirty, Moraine Armstrong was found dead in her home on Lake Avenue. When investigators arrived, the scene was treated immediately as a homicide. The cause of death strangulation was very clear, and the use of the electrical chord stood out too. It indicated that the person responsible had not come prepared with a weapon but instead used what was present. That suggested spontaneity, or at least lack of premeditation in the traditional sense. But there was another detail that noted that was noted on the scene too. When Moraine's bought bo he was discovered she was wearing only one sock. It was odd and they didn't really know what to make of it. So for now they just recorded it like everything else, and they began working through standard process. They canvassed the area, spoke with neighbors, and attempted to identify anyone who had seen or interacted with Moraine in the days leading up to her death. In a neighborhood where people moved in and out very frequently, gathering consistent information was extremely difficult, to say the least, not everyone was willing to speak, and even when they were, the details were often incomplete. It was during this process that Robert Spahalsky inserted himself right into the investigation. While officers were outside the apartment building speaking with residents and potential witnesses, Robert approached them. He asked what had happened to what was going on? It was a natural enough question given the circumstances. I mean, police presence tends to draw attention, but it also placed him directly in contact with investigators at a very early state. When they explained that a woman had been killed and gave Moraine's name, they asked him if he knew her. He told him they didn't. He said he never met her, He had never seen her and had no connection to her whatsoever. Now the officers weren't exactly suspicious, Remember he had approached them and people in the same building don't necessarily know each other. It was entirely plausible that he was simply just another residence who had no involvement, and at that moment there was nothing to contradict what he said, No physical evidence tying him directly to the scene or the act, no one placing him inside the apartment at the time of the killing, no immediate reason to press further, and without that, the conversation ended and Robert walked away. For investigators, though the case remained open, but without any sort of direction. They had a victim, a clear cause of death, and an understanding that the environment in which the crime had taken place, and all that sort of stuff, but no suspect they could build a case against. For Robert, the situation meant something else. Entirely. He had just committed a murder, and for the first time, just like his twin brother had, he had spoken directly to the police during the investigation, even and nothing had come back to him. He had crossed the line, one that could not be undone, and so far as he could see, no one had noticed, which meant no consequences. Once again, now roughly seven months after the death of Moraine Armstrong. Robert was still living in Rochester, moving between apartments, maintaining unstable relationships, and continuing his dependence on crack cocaine, which dictated much of his day to day existence. The neighborhoods in which he spent his time were the same place, the same people were all drifting around, and the connections were often very temporary. It was during this period that he became involved with a woman named Adrian Berger. Now, Adrian was thirty five years old. Unlike Moraine, she was not simply a brief encounter where they kind of knew each other and there was only transactional interactions. This relationship between her and Robert had some level of continuity. They spent time together and he was known to be in and out of her apartment regularly. Now that familiarity would later become a central part of how he explained his presence there. But it was some point in July of nineteen ninety one when Adrian was killed inside her apartment on Emerson Street. The circumstances surrounding her death were not immediately clear in a way that Moraines had been. There was no prompt discovery of her body or anything Instead, what drew attention to the apartment was that neighbors began to notice a smell. At first, it may have been a faint enough odor to dismiss something that could be explained away or overlooked simply, but as the days passed and the summer heat intensified, the odor became stronger, more persistent, and impossible to shake off. Eventually it reached a point where someone had contacted police to report it, prompting officers to respond and investigate the source. When they arrived, the condition of the apartment made it clear that something was wrong. Before they even entered, flies had gathered around the window, which was a very common indicator in situations where decomposition has begun, and once officers gained access to the apartment, they found Adrian's body in an advanced state of decay. The heat inside the space had accelerated the process, breaking down much of the physical evidence that might have otherwise provided clarity about what had happened. That was the main problem investigators were facing Because of the condition of the body, determining the exact cause of death was not immediately possible. There were no clear signs that could be definitively identified as the source of the fatal injury, and without that the case lacked a crucial piece of information. It was difficult to establish not only how she dies, but also whether the death was the result of natural causes, an accident, or even murder. Despite that, though, investigators began working through the case as they would with any suspicious death. Investigators did their due diligence and canvassed the building and surrounding area, speaking with neighbors and anyone who might have had contact with Adrian in the days leading up to her death, and it didn't take long for Robert's name to surface. He'd been seen at the apartment. People recognized him as someone who had spent a decent amount of time with her and was someone who had been inside her place on multiple occasions. At least one witness, in fact, was able to place him there with enough certainty that a warrant for further investigation was gathered. So police, with that warrant brought Robert in for questioning, and they already had a starting point. His connection with Adrian was not a dispute, and when confronted with that, he didn't attempt to deny it either. Instead, he leaned right into it. He explained that he and Adrian had a relationship, and he told investigators that he'd been in her apartment frequently, so his presence was normal, and that there was nothing unusual about finding things like his fingerprints inside.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: As for when he had last seen her, he claimed it had been several days prior to the discovery of her body, and that she'd been alive and well at the time, but without a confirmed cause of death, there was little direction to challenge any sort of version of events that he explained. There was no forensic evidence tying him to the scene outside of the obvious of being in the apartment, and no clear indication that the death had even been the result of violence, so he was released.
Speaker 2: That's crazy that there was so much decomposition there that they can tell Hey, yeah, it's really gross, but it's also really sad that she was just like that for so long before being discovered.
Speaker 1: I know now. The thing is, though, for Robert, like this again reinforced that same sort of thing that had begun Like with earlier situations, and in the death of Moraine as well, he'd been connected to He'd been connected to someone who died, he'd been connected to a death. He'd been questioned by police, and again he just walked away without being charged. So you have that same repetition of committing a crime with either minimal or no consequences. And since killing two people now there have been no consequences in murder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is just wild. And if it's something I guess you want to do, I can only imagine what it does for your ego or your confidence or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Really it's twisted, yucky to say.
Speaker 1: Now, there was a very clear pattern that was forming, and with each instance, the distance between what had been done in any of those consequences just seemed to widen. And then, on the night of October second, nineteen ninety one, a police officer on patrol in Rochester observed a vehicle moving in a way that seemed like something was off. The car had drifted slightly within its lane and then corrected itself, and then it did it again, just enough to catch the officer's attention and justify a closer inspection. Now, situations like this or routine, you know, drivers who might be under the influence, or might be distracted, or people simply having a moment of inattentiveness while all, this is very common. It's enough to have a stop that's not going to carry much weight. Possibly something illegal, yes, and definitely needing to be checked, but it's not something of high profile by any means. So the officer activated his lights and pulled the vehicle over. It was as simple as that, another stop. When the officer approached the driver's side window, the man behind the wheel appeared very calm and cooperative. There was no visible panic, no attempt to flee, no signs of intoxication that would immediately escalate the situation. When asked for his name, he provided it without hesitation. The man identified himself as Charles Grand. He went on to explain that he owned a landscaping business and apologized for his driving, often offering a casual explanation that didn't seem out of place. And based on what he observed, the officer made a decision that there wasn't going to be anything concerning that night. He gave the man a warning, told him to watch his driving, and he simply let him go. The man smiled, drove away, and the encounter ended there. It was filed away mentally, alongside countless other stops the officer had done in his mind that ended much the same way, But by the following day, though, that brief interaction took an entirely different meaning. On October fourth, nineteen ninety one, police were called to a residence in Webster, a town located just outside of Rochester. Inside the home, in a bedroom, they discovered the body of a man laying face down. The victim was soon identified as Charles Grand, the same name that had been given during the traffic stop. The timeline, however, created an immediate and serious problem. Based on the condition of the body and the circumstances at the scene, investigators determined that Charles Grand had been dead for more than twenty four hours at that point, which meant that at the time of the traffic stop, when the officer had been speaking with a man who identified himself as Charles Grand, the real Charles Grand was already dead.
Speaker 2: Oh it wasn't him, Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the man behind the wheel was not who he claimed to be, and he had stolen a dead man's identity.
Speaker 2: Damn. I don't know why I didn't see that coming at all.
Speaker 1: But okay, and that's where we're going to stop part one today.
Speaker 2: Of course, it is, of course it is huh okay, but this is freaking wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: This story just following these two brothers. It's just I don't even know how to feel about it because it doesn't seem well, it's very rare, right, oh well, it's just so terrifying that these two twins are ending up like this terrible.
Speaker 1: Doing the same thing. Now, there is also a lot of discussions online and in psychology and stuff about connections between twins, and I'm sure we'll talk about some of that and at the end of part two and everything, but it's very fascinating to see the timeline between these two. I mean, yeah, it differs. One committed a murder very early and then was back into like the petty crime and one was petty crime at first and then starting into the bigger like murders and stuff. But they're essentially living the same committing the same sort of shit, and it's it blows my mind that you have these two individuals, same upbringing, same sort of kind of DNA. They're not the same person, you know, but I'm getting at but they're just doing the same thing. They're committing this.
Speaker 2: Both a menace to freaking society.
Speaker 1: And that's the light way of putting it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we have no idea this Charles is the next victim here, right, Charles Grimt, And we honestly are leaving it where we have no idea who necessarily killed him? Is that correct?
Speaker 1: Correct? We'll talk about that in the next episode.
Speaker 2: Okay, you really said.
Speaker 1: That's where we're ending double.
Speaker 2: Checks, like did I miss which brother killed this man?
Speaker 1: And technically, technically we don't even know if one of these brothers killed him yet. All we know is that he's found dead and someone was using his identity. I haven't said anything in regards to these brothers connections to it yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, we better stop here because you're gonna just dig yourself in a hope.
Speaker 1: I might also, I don't know if anyone's heard yet in the recording of this episode, our rooster outside is going a little bit nuts today. So he's crowing away right now. Yeah, so we should probably go give him some treats or something, make him.
Speaker 2: A little haspill treats after this performance.
Speaker 1: Not really, but he's definitely crawling and Cohen for some reason, well, maybe calm him down. Maybe we'll go give him some pets or something. He needs something, he needs something. Anyways, thank you for being here. We appreciate you, looking forward to doing part two with you. If you want to give us a review or anything of the like, all of our links and descriptions are well. It's in the description of this podcast. We're an independent podcast, so your reviews go a long way in helping others find our show. Seeing the positive reviews, you're leaving and thinking, hey, I want to support that show too. So thank you for what you have done for us and what you're continuing to do because we get to do this because of that.
Speaker 2: And until part two, stay wicked a bo