Speaker 1: Initial Life Sequencing coming to you live from Houston, Texas, home to the world's largest medical center in the.
Speaker 2: Approach ras everything looking ability.
Speaker 1: This is your Health First. It's the most beneficial health program on radio with doctor Joe Galotti. During the next hour you'll learn about health, wellness and the provention of disease. Now here's your host, doctor Joe Galotti.
Speaker 2: Well, good Sunday evening to everybody. Doctor Joe Glotti, thanks for tuning into your Health First. We're here every Sunday between seven and eight pm. And our mission year after year, twenty two plus years that we've been doing this, it is very simple to make you better consumers of healthcare, raise your health IQ and give you some insight as to how to take care of your body. Being a good consumer can certainly, without a doubt, prevent a lot of the chronic disease that we see. By now, everybody should know our website. It is doctor Joegalotti dot com, d R J O E G A L A t I dot com. Go there and sounder from newsletter send me a message. All of our social media posts are there, including YouTube and Instagram and Facebook, and our website Doctor Joegalotti dot com all right, So the month of February is American Heart Month, and that is the time of the year where we raise awareness, have a conversation about heart disease, heart disease and men heart disease and women. Making sure you understand your risk factors, because really, if you know your risk factors, you can look in the mirror and say, hey, I did not realize I am at risk for premature heart disease or a premature heart attack or stroke or heart failure, or these palpitations I'm having may be something more serious that needs a more formal workup. So that is the idea. And on the program tonight, we have to we have doctor ran Deep Sunasia. He is an acclaimed cardiologist here in Houston, and I had the opportunity a little earlier in the week to sit down and have a conversation with him. So that is what we have tonight, a conversation with doctor ran Deep Sunasia, a cardiologist here in Houston. Listen and take in for yourself what information do I need to know? Look at it that way?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Well, as I was saying earlier, it is American Heart Month, a month of February, and if it was up to me, it would be part month every month of the year, but we have to deal with what we're dealt here and no stranger to your health. First, doctor ran Deep Sunasia. He is one of the finest cardiologists, not only in Houston but in the United States. And I've known him a very long time. And when sometimes we are lacking compassion in the medical field to our patients, doctor Snasia certainly excels in that area. It's great to have you on tonight, and thanks for participating in our little contribution to American Heart Month.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Joe, thank you for inviting and always look forward to our yearly meetings here on and during this month.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. Now, just a little background on doctor Sunasia. He has been here is it twenty three years now? Well, thirty three thirty three thirty three years, over one hundred thousand patients. That was a landmark just recently and he has founded the Cardiology Center of Houston. He's on staff at Houston Methodist Hospital West right or is that in Katie. It's in Katie, Texas, and you've held various positions there over the years. Board certified in five separate areas ranging from internal medicine, cardiology, nuclear cardiology, cardiovascular ct which I want to hear about, and what I think is most important is lifestyle medicine. So I would say, there's so much to talk about here, but let's really orient everybody with some of the basics and risk factors for heart disease, cardiovascular disease, and the way I look at it, for everybody listening tonight, if you do not have a good understanding of what your risk factors are, then you're really not paying as much attention as you need to. So knowing risk factors is very powerful. Doctors in Asia go over the list of risk factors people need to know about.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 3: I think risk factors get divided into two, which is modifiable and non modifiable. Non modifiable risk factors are where you cannot modify them. That includes family history, age, and race. So there are age where premature Corno disease happens before the age of fifty five, a family history or in women before the age of sixty five does strong family history. Age as is basically is when you get older, higher the risk and number. Some races where you have African, American and even some Asian population, I had highly Soccardivasca disease compared to Caucasian population. And then we have the modifiable risk factors where we can modify the risk factors and those are most importantly hypertension, diabetes, history of smoking, hyperlipidemia, lack of sleep and in activity, and weight is a very big factor. Now we are talking about sitting is the new smoking risk factor we're all been setting for our specially post COVID and during COVID, people have been working on their desk for eight eight hours a day and on average, people have gained between ten to twenty pounds. And Joe you, I'm sure you've seen this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know the people people in many times they aren't able to shake it off. They gain the weight during COVID. You know what I would share with you, and I think from my own personal experience, and so we when COVID hit in the pandemic, and we did, or at least I did some remote work from home seeing patients online. And I remember the very first day and I got my Apple Watch. On my very first day, I came up to my office, saw my eighteen twenty patients. Then I went down for dinner. That was basically I was up here for breakfast. Maybe I went down for lunch to go to the bathroom. I don't know. I walked only about three hundred and fifty steps the entire day. We're normally at work, it's seven to eight thousand steps just doing the normal work. And I'm sure you're the same. And it dawned on me that the adults that have desk jobs is a horrible, horrible situation to be in.
Speaker 3: Ye And you know, as you know, the percentage of and prevalence of obesity in the US now we are talking about on an average, forty percent the adult US population is obese, thirty percent is overweight and painfully, but to twenty two percent of the adolescent kids are no obese. Right, So, yeah, it's an epidemic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's really getting out of control now, you know, with with the risk factors. When when you see let's say a new patient and they have hypertension and it's gone undiagnosed for years, and they have these other either family or lifestyle risk factors, and you alert them and you educate them and teach them and enlighten them, what do they say do they say? Gee, I had no idea smoking caused high blood pressure. I had no idea that no exercise caused hypertension. Where is a public on this? Are they just in more denial than really being completely ignorant on this? What do you think?
Speaker 4: I see?
Speaker 3: The question is that if the patient comes with hypertension, when we do the echocardiogram and we measure the wal thickness and we see that their val thickness is increase, and they've got leftritical hypertrophy, and I show them the statistics. You know, when you show the patient that you got leftritical hypertrophy, your heart is working harder. It really dawns on them that you know the amount of blood fruit to the heart is fixed, and if you have leftritical epotrophy then you're going to have someone to call it ischemia.
Speaker 4: Your heart is working harder.
Speaker 3: And when you present these facts, it makes them aware that they must take very proactive measures. You define that you have to control the blood pressure very well. Every ten percent drop in systolic BP reduces the cardiovestor complications by but to twenty two percent. Yeah, so it's critically important to control the blood pressure and along with that other dis factors and you know weight gain leads to elevated levels of lipids, metabolic syndrome, sugar is up, the blood pressure all go hand in hand. And if you're addressing one factor, I think the key factor here is managing the weight and that will improve all the parameters. But you have to make an effort and it requires a lot of effort. Proactivity, regular exercise one hundred and fifteen minutes per week, as you know, thirty minutes five times a day and then ah and American artizens also emphasize that you must do weight training about two times a week because we are being muscle as we're getting older, so it's very important.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a quick break on down to Joe Glotti. We're talking with doctor Ran Deep Ssunasia, cardiologist here in Houston, Texas. Is website to get more information is Houston Cardiology dot com. Stay tuned, We will be right back. Welcome back, everybody, back with doctor Ran Deepsunasia cardiologists here in Houston, Texas, talking about American Heart Month and all that you need to know about heart disease.
Speaker 5: You know, the other thing just to shift to symptoms, because again the patients that I see, they are you know, limping around with symptoms.
Speaker 2: They're short of breath, they have palpitations, they're not sleeping well, they have some swelling in their legs. And again, you know, I asked them, what were you thinking?
Speaker 4: And I think people are not.
Speaker 2: Putting all the dots together to say, you know what, this might be a problem with my heart. Let me get it checked out. So what do you see from a symptoms standpoint?
Speaker 4: One point?
Speaker 3: I think that varies from anywhere from chestice comfort, tightness, heaviness in the chest, which are signs of precipitated by exertion, activity or stress, indicating anginal symptoms. You can have shortness of breath, which can be related to again, symptoms of high blood pressure. Exertional disney can be an anginal equivalent. Also palputations that can be related to rhythmia. As we are seeing a ton of atrial fibrillation all these days, almost an epidemic of a FIB, right, Yeah, so yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: Is it just to stop you there for a second, would you say, twenty five years ago you saw as much a FIB as we all see now.
Speaker 3: No, definitely, not definitely, not right, Yeah, And I think that there's multi factorial aspects in that age is one of the biggest risk factors. People are living longer, aging longer than we have people we are treating them well with if they have microinfunction, they'll be treating with intervention. They may have allued dysfunction, and as they are aging, then they will ultimately develop interfibrillation liter in life. So it is and then presence. People who have been affected with COVID also have had disease processes from that, and we have seen a higher amounts of aphibian patients who are bad COVID also and other rhythmias. So definitely seeing a whole lot of a FHIB. And again obesity rate is going up. That leads to sleep apnea, which is sleep apnea is putting increases or intrifibrillation. So every patient with a FIB, we are screening them for sleep apnia. And then fatty liver is going hand in.
Speaker 2: Hand, right, Yeah, I mean data doesn't go by that. I think you're contacting us about a fatty liver patient and it's it's really really we we say obesities that have been a FIB is an epidemic, Fanny livers an epidemic. We're we're just exploding with complications. And it is so said. You know one one thing you know again Uh, I like to say, I am a cardiologist in the closet, uh, and I leave the expertise to you and your colleagues. But imagine if we could wake up the American public to know their blood pressure. And I've even spoken on the radio here that wouldn't it be great if every household had a blood pressure cuff, even if you did not have blood pressure, a blood pressure issue, high hypertension, that and that would be great. But imagine if once a quarter you just check the blood pressure everybody in your heart okay, and just say get the kids, your young adults, your wife, your husband, your mother, whoever, and just say, okay, it's the first quarter of the year. We're going to check and document everybody is okay. We'll do it again next quarter. But create alertness to blood pressure. The numbers are staggering on the amount of people that have hypertension. What do you think regarding the value of home monitoring. I think that's phenomenal.
Speaker 3: In fact, when patients come in with hypertension, you know sometimes many times you see you know, white foot hypertension, Also, patients blood pressure at home is okay and when they come to the office they are elevated. So it's critically important to get good data and we recommend Actually AHH never endorses any products, but American Heart as Solcition has stated that for us to treat hypertension, we must collect data. So omron VP arm cuff, ARM cuff not a risk, cut the risk, not the risk, not the risk. Aren't cuff done in a proper way with patient preferable lying down and this the sigam monometer right next to you, done two three readings after taking a few minutes of rest. Collecting data over period of time because if pressure is elevated, you don't want to just start it right away because if the BP readings are higher in the office, so you want to collect data for at least two to three four weeks.
Speaker 4: But if the patient comes in with significantly.
Speaker 3: Elevated blood pressure they got left final hypertrophy on their EKG and on their eco cortagram, obviously you're going to start treating. But when they are borderline elevated, then you make them aware lifestyle modification, making sure their resalt intake is reduced, their calory intake is being monitored. I mean I talk about the Suneja equation, which I've talked and created that video which almost hit thirty six thousand views on LinkedIn that I posted on New Years about the way production formula where you reduce thirty fi hundred where thirty five hundred calory count negativity is leads to negative balance leads to one pound of weight loss of fact.
Speaker 4: So if you have five.
Speaker 3: Hundred caloriy negative balance per day and multiply by seven aver day of the week, you lose thirty five hundred carries. And that five hundred I'm dividing into two parts, two and fifty negative balance by eating less mostly carved everybody. Everybody loves carves, bread, pasta, dessert, snacks, potatoes, rice, alcohol, a little bit less consumption per day, two and fifty cars less per day, and two and fifty car is burning more per day. That's half our of brisk walking. And third component, which is also equally very important as long as there is no history of congest of heart failure, drinking sixty to seventy ounces of water, right, and you combine that and if you do it consistently, seventy is a week lose a pound a week.
Speaker 4: If you do three to four days a week, you lose a half a pound a week. So life cell modification is critically important.
Speaker 3: And I think, I, you know, just for my own curiosity, last Tuesday, I have plied a continuous glucose monitor myself CGM, which are now available without a prescription a month ago, and I have myself reduced my sugar. I have an AVNCY of five point seven, which is minimally elevated. I want to make it better, bring it down, so you know, you can modify it by reducing.
Speaker 4: And within a week I've noticed that I have cut down the.
Speaker 3: Foods and I could monitor my sugar and react the intake so that I can bring the glucose in a completely normal level.
Speaker 4: So I think awareness and education is critically important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that the CGM, the continuous glucose monitoring, the deck scam is probably one of the more popular ones. I think if if you know you're overweight, you have pre diabetes and hypertension, lipids, and you know that doctor Sunasia or doctor Galati is not looking at you twenty four hours a day. But if you get that little hatch you on your arm and you're contemplating a piece of chocolate pie and you see that your glucose is just a little too high. That may be enough to stop you and in the end be beneficial. So as you know, we need oversight, we need accountability, and I think electronically AI in a sense is doing this.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I think this is one of the finest examples of how we can utilize AI and technology because this is continuous glucouse mountor is actually AI.
Speaker 4: And when you're able to see your sugar.
Speaker 3: And then that is automatically going to have a positive impact in eating, making you eat better because you're going.
Speaker 4: To see if you eat particular food, your level is going up.
Speaker 3: Within the last five six days, I have myself modified my own eating habits, even though I consider myself a good eater. And you know, I did my fifteenth half methon last weekend. That's great, but there is room for improvement, right Nobody's room for improvement. And within a week I've noticed that I'm making some very positive changes in what I'm eating, eating a little bit less and watching the cobs, and I'm noticing this reduction in my lucas is amazing today and the entire office day I was running around.
Speaker 4: My peak sugar was only one twenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm morty eating, you know, I eat very healthy breaksace with white omelets and lunches salad.
Speaker 4: And you can make modify it, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think it's just a willingness to do it. You know, it's a willingness to do it now. You know, of course, one of the big pillars of heart disease and prevention is cholesterol. And there's still a lot of sort of misunderstanding of cholesterol. Patients will still come in and say, well, the ratio is good, so nothing needs to be done. Is it true that the ratio of good lesterol to bad cholesterol? And that may not be a good way to say it is sort of outdated. Now we need to look at cholesterol a little differently.
Speaker 4: What do you say?
Speaker 3: Absolutely so, I think the entire emphasis noise on the Lder number. The ratio is pretty much outdated. But Lder number in relation to risk factors and presence of corneatic disease, and here comes as utility of the cornaty cassium score. Right, we are utilizing I've been doing this for almost twenty four, twenty five years, I have been a very big proponent of calcium score and potentially probably are practiced at the biggest database of cusum scores in the state of Texas. So when you do the cornerity custum score on a patient and then we are able to use that number and put them into the mesa registant calculated persentile. Now, if you've got a fifty year old male coms and his custom score is one hundred and his persentile is ninety, his LDL will.
Speaker 4: Need to be below fifty five.
Speaker 3: But if you have one hundred year old mail with the custum score of zero and his LDL is one fourteen, there is no data that we need to be that aggressive.
Speaker 4: That is life sele modification. So the castium score is able to guide us how we need to manage the eldeal number and if you're ELDAL.
Speaker 3: Now November of twenty twenty three, high the spaces American hunt as American conture cardiology.
Speaker 4: Now we're talking about high risk places where they have cornea.
Speaker 3: Intervention, corniati bypass graft surgery, they have diabetes and other equivalent corneaty disease reris factors.
Speaker 4: We are talking about bringing the ldeal below fifty five.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a quick pray. Come down to Joe Gladi your two did your health first, don't forget go to doctor Joegalori dot com. Stay tuned, we'll be right back. Welcome back, everybody, to your health first. Comes out to Joe Galati. And in honor of the month of February, it is American Heart Month, that one month, even though it really should be twelve months out of the year that we think about our heart, heart disease, heart disease prevention and understanding our risk factors. And in the studio tonight is doctor ran Deepsunasia, a well known cardiologist here in Texas, trying to explain the key points that we all need to know with regard to how to take care of your heart. You've taught me a lot about the calcium score corrintory calcium score ct score. And with all of the patients with fatty liver that I see, almost all of them have diabetes, hypertension, they're overweight, high cholesterol, et cetera. I have been recommending and sending a lot of these patients for calcium scores. Is that overkill? So people that are listening tonight, and let's say they're fifty five sixty, they're over weight or obese and have a cholesterol problem, Okay, they're asymptomatic, yes or no? Should they go for a carnary calcium scan?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? Yes, okay, absolutely yes.
Speaker 3: Forty year old male with one res factor, fifty year old female with one risk factor. And if you are risk factors, you talk about forty percent of the population is obese, thirty percent is olverad.
Speaker 4: That's seventy percent of them.
Speaker 3: A body called one respector already mentioned hyperlipidemia, pre diabetes, you name it. I am screening patients as young as forty and forty five any res factors, and then we repeat the scan in five to seven years, depending on their scores. And the beauty is the moment you do the calcium score and you've got premature corneoder disease.
Speaker 4: Both the doctor and the patient.
Speaker 3: You share the data with the patient, tell them, hey, you are in the seventy fifth percent. Time, sir ma'am you're in the eightieth percentile. They become very prove active. They taking care of medications, whether we're going to give them aspen, give them statin or something more, piece of.
Speaker 4: Skin and inhibitor. We have other tools available now.
Speaker 3: So we and the patient will become very, very engaged, pro active and including the lifestyle modification.
Speaker 2: Right, is there in your in your generic patient here an age that's a little too young now we're seeing and you're seeing them, oh piece, twenty year olds with hypertension and diabetes. Would you engage them in this type of screening at twenty That's a tough it's a tough point.
Speaker 4: Well, I have done as young as thirty five year old. I have screened with multiple res factors with hyphpertension, hypilipidemia. I had a young.
Speaker 3: Patient, twenty five year old patient who had came to me in fact in the last one month, and he was his father had a heart attack at the age of thirty five, okay, and uncles, so he was young and he was just totally worried and he's almost having these almost anxiety attacks that I got heart disease. And I had I kind of screen him and gave him a customs score and tell him I'm going to see you in fifteen years or ten years and if go okay, you know what I because they have people are reading about cornerity custom scores and they are you know, the information is out there, so you know that young typically I don't, but there's an unusual cases.
Speaker 4: One may do it. But around the age of thirty five forty, if you've got multiple.
Speaker 3: Distractors, and I'm picking up corneaty disease and young patients, absolutely young WROLD the score of one hundred fifty seventy five, they should be absolutely should have score of zero.
Speaker 4: So these people have premature corneatter disease.
Speaker 2: Right, No, exactly to get more into the social pray make America healthy again? What is your take?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: What I've told everybody is trying to separate the intense political reaction people are having too RFK Junior, they love them, they hate them. I say, just forget about that for a second. We have to think about making America healthy again. Someone like you is right on the front line every day. What do you think of that?
Speaker 3: Well, I think in any way we can improve the health of the common people and the general population. Increase awareness, increase our I mean, our food industry has not done a good job. As you know, there's so much is this commercialized food products and processed foods. We need to clean up our foods. Absolutely, education has to be improved. So I think there's a lot of things that it can be done at multiple levels, but ultimately it all comes down to the individual. And I think increased awareness, increase knowledge just as simple as measuring your blood pressure you talk about at home and getting yourself a glucose monitor, and now with the availability of getting a CGM by yourself. And I'm telling you, the moment you start looking at data, you will automatically become proactive and it has a very tremendous impact in patient awareness. And then they start executing, will increase walking, increase activity, and obviously you have to have cardiologic clearance if they're having any symptoms. You don't want to start running preparing for a marathon if you've got symptoms. But obviously you can make some lifestyle modification changes and help yourself in more ways than you realize.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: You know, probably thirty years ago there were some initial studies where they found that people that just weigh themselves every day, we're losing weight. So we're just seeing that feed back. Now, let alone you add you're weighing yourself, you're being conscious of the food you're eating, you're taking your blood pressure. It goes a long way. But as you've said so many times, it is the engagement. We need the engagement. Everybody listening tonight. You know, one of my sayings is that good health doesn't come by chance. You have to work at it.
Speaker 4: You have to make an effort, and you have to be proactive.
Speaker 3: And you know, whether one hundred and fifty minutes of exercise per week, making sure you give plenty of water, as long as you know history, condut are field, and then incorporating lifestyle modification degree including yoga, meditation. And interestingly, in our textbook of cardiology, we call it our bible, the Bronz Wall's textbook.
Speaker 2: Get asked.
Speaker 3: In the last edition, this is a two volume, one thousand page each book. For the first time, we have five six page chapter on integrative cardiology.
Speaker 2: Okay, so tell us tell us about that. People may have heard of this, but it's really worthwhile to talk now.
Speaker 3: So you know, in the past, the textbooks of cardiology never incorporated anything like this, and this is a paradigm shift. If one may say, having a chapter of integrated cardiology in our Bible of Cardiogies is the Bronz World's textbook, and they talk about multiple things have been addressed. They talk about yoga, meditation, tai chi in patience for helping lifestyle modification. As we know, meditation techniques help in reducing the sympathetic nomber system, increasing parasympathetic symptom, reducing the activation of amygdala, and also improving the connection between amygdala and ventromedial frontal cortex. All these techniques have been shown to reduce stress, manage the stress, reduce the sympathetic activity. So they have mentioned in this chapter that you can incorporate these in managing for stress high pretension. The concept of coqute ten also has been added into that chapter where I am a huge believer. Where As you know, statin associated muscle symptoms started to induced muscle symptoms is very very common. In fact, in clinical practice we see much more than its described on textbooks. But when because when you give the statins and they inhibit the hmg coins and retectives inhibitors. Also, it reduces the synthes of co q ten and coqutin is a very important molecule important in the respiratory life cycle in these skeletal muscles. By exogensy supplementing coq ten minimum two in the millions a day, we can definitely reduce the symptoms. Although data is somewhat conflicting, but in my practice I have seen that it absolutely helps. In our practice we emphasize that patients taking status must take two milliums of coq ten with food. It is a fat soluble vitamin that should be taken food so that it reduces the chances of statin associate meddle center.
Speaker 4: So the concept of.
Speaker 3: Coq ten has come, then Ready's rice has been incorporated in that chapter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is you know, you know, look you know better than me. But that has been talked about for probably twenty years. And I remember twenty twenty five years ago patients coming in with red rice yeast and at first you'd sort of say, well, it probably won't hurt you. But now it seems like there's some pretty.
Speaker 3: Decent data and patients who are not receptive who taking statins or they cannot take any statans.
Speaker 4: It is pretty much like a natural statin.
Speaker 3: And in this textbook of Cardiologia Braunold, they said, yes, this can be considered an alternative for patients who are not able to handle.
Speaker 4: It's literally and like a natural statin, and there has.
Speaker 3: Been some data that it may reduce you a deal, maybe between fifteen to eighteen percent in some percent of cases.
Speaker 2: Well, now with that, would it ever be a case where you take a statin or maybe a little bit less of a statin and the red rice yeast as a as a combo or is it one or the other?
Speaker 3: I try not to combine the two because it becomes difficult to really objectively know if they're having any problem work contributing to it.
Speaker 4: But typically I keep.
Speaker 3: Those I'm keeping for patients who are resistant or taking statins or they would like to have a natural alternatives and READI strize. I do offer patients who are but I'm a very big believer in statin and they have been shown with so much data for all these decades, would be so useful. But if people are totally resistant, then this is a reasonable alternative.
Speaker 2: All right, final segment of your health first coming up. Don't forget If you want more information about autorin deep sination is practice, it is Uston Cardiology dot Comuston Cardiology dot com and don't forget. Go to doctor Joeglotti dot com. Stay tuned. Final segment coming right up, the final segment of this week's Your Health First, and don't forget. Join us at doctor Joegalotti dot com and you can sounder forraur newsletter. Send me a message as a tab there that says contact me, and all of our social media is there, and all of our past programs, podcasts, other educational material is there. But you have to go to doctor Joegalotti dot com.
Speaker 4: All right, so.
Speaker 2: Doctor Snasa has been in the office with us talking about heart disease, heart prevention, heart symptoms, some new therapies, how to manage your cholesterol, things that you need to know and do. Keep in mind that the number one killer for all of us is going to be cardiovascular disease. So we need to raise the bar and really pay attention to heart disease. If you have heart disease, pay attention to it. If you have risk factors, really do get it checked out.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: One other area and the golp one agents, the oxepics of the world. Of course, they started off in the diabetes circle and then into obesity. But now there are some studies on being protective for heart disease and heart failure. What are you seeing and where do you think the future lies with these GLP one agents GLP one.
Speaker 3: Initially I was to be very frank, I was quite apprehensive of giving them to patients. But the more and more I'm studying the data, we have seen that they definitely some percentage of population of patients who are struggled to lose weight. Right an effective, very effective class of drugs, and they absolutely help you in reducing weight. However, you know you have to be mindful of the fact that there are some significant side effects, and I'm sure you've seen fair share of that. But you cannot just prescribe a GLP one and not emphasize lifestyle modification because that is not the right way to manage your diabetes and hypotension and overweight problems and obixity. However, the data that is coming out in benefit of reduction and heart failure and other cardivorskit benefits is all. If you lose the question is that is it the weight loss that is helping you reduce it or there is some question that the drugs are And my thought process is I say weight loss is the best medicine.
Speaker 4: Way, your blood.
Speaker 3: Pressure will get better, your liperds will get better, your everything will get better, your exercise.
Speaker 4: Todance will get better, and your heart failure.
Speaker 3: Of course, you sleep will get better if it will get better, and your heart failure will get better.
Speaker 4: There's no quest about it. So, yeah, is the best medicine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, no, I mean it is. And unfortunately with all of the advertising and marketing and things on social media, that message gets lost. They think this the medicine. Of course, the weight loss they see it. But you know, the gop ones, You're right, there are a whole host of gastro intestinal side effects, nausea, vomiting, constipation, people are miserable. But weight loss through lifestyle, the Sunasia formula, of course is it might not be as fast as a golp one. You know, you have to be patient, you know, you know, fifty pounds was not gained in six months, you can't expect to lose it in six months. But it's that lifestyle change that it is, learning to eat better, learning to cook, learning to exercise, and just integrating this all in there. So we've got a couple of minutes left here, doctor Sunasia and for those that might just be joining us late this evening. Doctor ran Deepsynasia. He is a very very well known cardiologist here in Texas Cardiology Center of Houston. His website is Houston Cardiology dot com. A couple of parting remarks. If you had to tell a patient people listening tonight, let's say one intervention. Now, there's many things to do, right, But if you were going to start off with one win, one thing that you could cross up and say I was able to start doing that tomorrow and I stuck with it, what do you think that would be?
Speaker 3: Just start walking fifteen minutes a day and increase with thirteen minutes a day. I think regular exercise does wonders right. Journey of one thousand miles begins with a single step. Just start walking and tell patients you know, doesn't matter. Could be ten minutes, fifteen minutes, please, best thing is just start walking and you will see it will transcribe into benefits beyond your belief. You know, you don't have to walk ten miles or three miles, just ten minutes, fifteen minutes, and gradually you will see then you can increase it. And with that you need to work on diet and reduce the card consumption, reduce the carry consumption, and weight loss has to be the most primary thing. But seventy percent of the population with fortys in thirty percent overweight, absolutely is critical importance America healthy. Again we miss a control of the epidemic of weight gain.
Speaker 2: All right, Another scenario, So most patients are being seen by a primary care physician or internest or maybe even there upstir g yn and somebody is sitting there tonight and saying, look, gee, gosh, I am overweight. I've got this touch of blood pressure. The doctor said, my glucose was just a touch elevated. What is the conversation you want to have the patient initiate with their primary care doctor to say, please address these heart risk factors or maybe even symptoms. How do you frame that conversation?
Speaker 4: What do you think?
Speaker 3: I think controlling getting your lipids done, collecting data on your blood pressure, and as a doctor they can refer for calcium. School Houston Methodist does it for one hundred and forty dollars any of the Methodist system and then you have the heart scan.
Speaker 4: Plus they can scan.
Speaker 3: Your carotis, aota, the legs and including the heart scan for two hundred and five dollars. I tell them that is the best two hundred five dollars that you'll ever spend. And once you have the data and then based on the results, it is going to have a very positive impact. Once you have the data with you, share that data with your cardiologists, let the cardiology explain to you where you cat some scores, what it means, and then you take it from there. I think these are critically important issues that you brought up and it is so important for us to take care of our patients and increase education and awareness.
Speaker 2: Right And that's and that's my gosh. You could you could be in front of a microphone three hundred and sixty five days a year, doctor Sunesia, and get get the word out there. So as always, thanks for coming on tonight, doctor Suonisia. Don't forget you can catch up with doctor Sunesia at Houston Cardiology dot com. Randeep. It's been awesome. It's always great to have you on.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you so much for the ortunity. Look forward to always working with you and enjoying your conversations with you, and look forward to many more