Speaker 1: The makers of Campbell's Bout with Him, the Campbell Playhouse Wars, and well, what.
Speaker 2: Is the.
Speaker 3: Good evening? It is often well.
Speaker 1: Last week, if you remember, I asked you to put yourself in the position of a certain Matt Dennant, who is the center of some interest.
Speaker 3: In this week's broadcast.
Speaker 1: I invited you to conceive of yourself as a decent young man. Just out of thinking the rest of your trousers. I sketched in for you the outlines of the scene to be played by yourself as this Matt Dennant and a certain lady played by Miss Wendy Berry.
Speaker 3: Then I said good night. We went off the air tonight. My better instincts.
Speaker 1: Obliged me to admit that, while there were no misrepresentations of.
Speaker 3: Facts, my whole appeal was.
Speaker 1: Designed simply and frankly to lure you back to the Campbell Playoffs. Probably my choice of Hi spots will not be yours. Perhaps I have led you to expect something between an Hallwood Spots and a Drury Lane melodrama. If so, you will be pleasantly surprised, because John Goldsworth is a escape in spite of it faintly catch penny title and even abetted by certain elements of undeniable adventures, is a highly civilized high comedy. Indeed, in London theater audiences remember it for Nicholas Hannon's and Sir Jerrey Morier's death performances of Matt Dennis, and in New York, Lesley Howard made another of his very considerable successes in the same part. We shall strive to please, but you'll be glad to know that Wendy Berry has promised is here to help us. And now before escape and before Wendy Berry and est Chapels, mister Chapel.
Speaker 4: Thank you, orson Welles.
Speaker 1: If I were to ask each one of you to name aloud right now your favorite soup, and if I could hear your replies, I'm almost certain the soup that would top them all would be Campbell's Tomato Soup. The reason, of course, is the magic, matchless flavor of tomato soup, as Campbell's make it a flavor that speaks to have the appetite. Watch a hungry man enjoy to the last drop the racy flavor of this smooth blend of luscious tomatoes, delicate seasonings and fine table butter set a fragrant plateful of Campbell's Tomato soup before a tired appetite, and see its lively tang take hold of that appetite from the very first slip, and the way a child and a spoon and the bright glowing bowl of Campbell's tomato soup make friends is a delight to mothers. Indeed, because everybody from the youngest to the oldest in the family enjoys this soup so much, I'm tempted to call tomato, of all soups, the soup of the seven ages.
Speaker 3: It's always a happy choice for the main dish.
Speaker 1: At lunch or supper, a welcome beginning for the day's main meal. That's why Campbell's Tomato soup is the steady favorite with most families. The soup serves often and enjoyed. Always have it again soon, won't you? Perhaps tomorrow? And now our Campbell playoff's presentation of Escape with Wendy Berry and here is Dawson.
Speaker 3: Wells to set the scene.
Speaker 4: Our American version of The Golds where they play.
Speaker 3: The scene is New York.
Speaker 1: In New York, there's still a placer to where a civilized man can take his nightcap rather late it with leisure and without a flaw show. One of these is the grill room of the Plaza. Across from the Plaza the last of New York's almost extinct horse carriages, a brace of withering Victorias.
Speaker 4: Some of us still charter.
Speaker 1: These autumn nights when we'd like to take a girl around the park or smoke a pipe before turning. In the night of the Murderer, Matt Dennon found himself alone, and after a spot of something in the grill the pipes to smoke.
Speaker 3: And an urge to smoke it in the open air.
Speaker 1: He hired the dowdiest of these now the old Dowagers, and started off.
Speaker 3: That's where our story begins. Yes, were the everyone used to be. But I remember when I bought this there Elsie, the name.
Speaker 1: Alone there twenty eight years ago. That was you perhaply get.
Speaker 3: Through the park on a Sunday morning with a handsome the fla and the historic and on a night evening like good driver, Yes, will you tell me about the lake please?
Speaker 1: Thirday wore the wall. Yes. Nowadays you're lucky to get to ride a night whoa, oh, I have it once for a few steady customers like you, mister Dennant. Then that's fund of her.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 3: Here you are get nositer dinner. Yes, I think I'll walk from here.
Speaker 2: In this part of the park at night.
Speaker 3: Sure, what's wrong with that?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Good night at the dinner and then good.
Speaker 1: Night up.
Speaker 3: There? You let stay around?
Speaker 1: Hello? Hello? Is that a life?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I think so? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Nice, I've been holding a cigarette for a half an.
Speaker 6: Hour, won't one?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Thanks? I have a pipe? Oh that's right, I didn't know it. I sad thirthing? Are you sure?
Speaker 2: Sometimes?
Speaker 5: I know where you've been today?
Speaker 1: Yes, you've been to the track.
Speaker 3: How'd you know that?
Speaker 5: Down on the bench? Here'll ten you alright?
Speaker 3: Well, how easy?
Speaker 5: There's a racing form in your pocket and you got few glasses.
Speaker 1: I had to make up.
Speaker 3: Fella took me to goalie last year for the previous Did you have a mother? And it shouldn't?
Speaker 1: Right? Beautiful?
Speaker 3: Not beautiful things in the world more beautiful than women, I think so present company accepted. Of course.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 3: You mean that as much as I mean a lot of things.
Speaker 4: You learned to say a lot of things about.
Speaker 3: Women and horses.
Speaker 4: You don't like women, do you unreliable.
Speaker 3: Compared to horses.
Speaker 4: Not so much spirits.
Speaker 3: Thanks, of course, there's nothing wilder than the wild horse.
Speaker 4: Used to break them out west?
Speaker 1: What about a wild woman? Women have an excuse of horses, they've been telling ever since Eve gave at him his coffee.
Speaker 3: I guess I've been getting a lot.
Speaker 5: What's your hurry?
Speaker 3: I don't want to take up too much of good time? So on, Well, thanks for the life.
Speaker 5: I'll be asking you again sometimes maybe if you have.
Speaker 3: To feel like giving me a ring?
Speaker 2: It's my phone number, I see it.
Speaker 1: What's a man?
Speaker 6: Doesn't you like me?
Speaker 1: I'm sure I do? Why the rush?
Speaker 5: Say?
Speaker 3: Aren't you scared? Sometime you will ask the wrong guy for a light?
Speaker 6: Sure, I'm scared.
Speaker 1: What am I gonna do about it?
Speaker 3: That's right? What do you do?
Speaker 5: Horset?
Speaker 3: I used to, but now just walking around.
Speaker 2: That money's around?
Speaker 6: If I had money, do you know what i'd do?
Speaker 3: Get rid of it fast? That's just what I wouldn't do.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was used to talking.
Speaker 3: I didn't mean to hurt you.
Speaker 1: Just give me the guy the choice every time.
Speaker 6: He doesn't hurt half so much?
Speaker 3: What the whole business?
Speaker 4: But I'm mansterious now about the human race.
Speaker 3: Give me horses and dogs anytime. I got a cat person?
Speaker 1: Sorry of me, she's a beauty.
Speaker 5: Why don't you come out with sims?
Speaker 1: No thanks, I'd better at getting along all right?
Speaker 3: Go ahead, don't be angry and eye on the point. Good night.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's Molly to make sure.
Speaker 3: Take my word for it quite a minute.
Speaker 5: Hey, don't go to the past.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm going your way too.
Speaker 3: Why you're not going to any place?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Who says so I do?
Speaker 5: No, I ain't done nothing.
Speaker 3: I was only talking to a friend of mine anyway.
Speaker 5: Spoke to me first, ask himthey didn't you?
Speaker 3: Ted? You your take?
Speaker 5: Ted? I didn't bother you, mister?
Speaker 1: Did I?
Speaker 5: You talk to me because you wanted to, didn't you?
Speaker 1: Yes? This is cood, sure I did. It's got approach you. I saw it. Sit in here when you come by?
Speaker 4: Who are you take?
Speaker 1: You? Murphy's funny? Tell me? Please think I'm watching this woman for some time now. Here's the first time I've seen her.
Speaker 3: I don't know about the other time. So to be wrong about this, I spoke to it my own accord.
Speaker 1: Well I know that's a lie.
Speaker 3: It does the matter. Can't two people talk together I'm making no complaints. Look messy, you keep your eyes out of this.
Speaker 1: I know what I'm doing. I got my orders. It's the third time I watched her, that's all lie. I've never seen them in my life. I've seen you said. They're plenty. So come on, get gone.
Speaker 3: I have to go off on your way.
Speaker 4: Wise god, run you into let me, let it go.
Speaker 1: You want to come it on too? Huh? I like you at what I'm gonna have a little company. I actually let you go.
Speaker 3: I have to do it for you went off with her hand had up out of you. You need to live another there.
Speaker 1: You brought that black jack drp it hit him to show you are gonna make her go.
Speaker 3: Don't hit him?
Speaker 1: Done hit him?
Speaker 2: You shoot me?
Speaker 5: Done that?
Speaker 4: Go on now better beat it?
Speaker 3: Break comes to nobody, run go on, run Look at him. I know I hit him hard, sure you did.
Speaker 2: But look at his head.
Speaker 1: He hit his head on the railing.
Speaker 3: Railing here.
Speaker 5: Say that, copt will look right to me.
Speaker 3: What do you mean?
Speaker 1: Look at his head?
Speaker 3: Come on, let's get out of here before they come. Oh yeah, take us. I get the water to the fountain, Come on, so body go on get some water. Hey, look out, there's somebody coming. You better go. What about your wand do as I say? Run for it quickly?
Speaker 1: Right, good luck?
Speaker 2: That's yours.
Speaker 3: Hey, what's going on here? Give me that life?
Speaker 1: It's a mersey. He's hot cold? Yeah, hey, phebe's hart. I'm afraid here his head? H who are you?
Speaker 3: What are you doing here? He had an argument. I hit him. He selling hit his head on the railing. I'll say that. What's your name, Matt Dennis? You say you hit him?
Speaker 1: That's right, Ryan, put in the car, the headquarters, but the dinner you come along with me?
Speaker 3: Okay, m sure, sure I hit him. I didn't kill him, though, with a railing that killed him. They gave me five years for the railing. Five years. Yeah, manslaughter, cap Lucky you didn't burn town.
Speaker 1: If a girl had saved me, she hadn't turned up to trial and supported my story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a break. That kind of a dame don off and stick a neck out like that?
Speaker 1: How much more time you got to do? Three years?
Speaker 3: Three years of.
Speaker 1: Making shoes and hoeing potatoes. I never did like potatoes.
Speaker 3: He had kind of a high toned guy. It's high toned. I don't know. I was thrown out of college and I objected being spoken to.
Speaker 7: Like a dog.
Speaker 3: If that's what you mean by it, it's no matter at the school. Just crossed the fence. Then you can't see us be far.
Speaker 1: That's starting from here.
Speaker 3: Five kipping sickond Yeah, I think it will last this time of year. Yeah, they'd be round us up at a minute. You see it.
Speaker 1: They know it's fogging. Rain makes them nervous. That's when the boys make the breaks.
Speaker 3: Breaks, they say. No one ever gets away from this.
Speaker 1: Maybe not.
Speaker 3: It's just done some good trying here. I wonder.
Speaker 1: I'm say I'd like a try.
Speaker 3: A break, And why don't you do it now? Not alone?
Speaker 1: You gotta have clothes, money and a can, friends on the outside eating. Then they get you.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Once you get going, kid yourself, brother, it can't be done. Here's the screw again.
Speaker 1: Oh h look at us hair. Here's a nice big spot, nice cower, aestate working. When you finish that roll, line up with the rest of them on the road. Why are you hear me?
Speaker 3: Okay, wait, get it, thanks, do and get gone?
Speaker 1: Nice? Kay?
Speaker 3: Wonder putting mister bed Alley tonight like a dog. Three more years of it like a dog.
Speaker 2: They ain't said, there's the fog in the rain.
Speaker 3: That's what it take some nervous. When a man's nervous, they get used to it. Yeah, well I can't get used to us.
Speaker 1: Right, ah, right, And it touches you high tone guys, angie and used the way it was.
Speaker 3: Brought out, and.
Speaker 1: Listen less have a straw over the left about three miles and us today not a five and Iaknaq was not a twelve. And it's tough going all the way.
Speaker 3: Good, don't do it, buddy, you haven't got a chance. The only thing you get in this land in the case alone.
Speaker 1: And it's better than this.
Speaker 3: And after they pick you up, it's bread and water in solitary for three months. But to try. They don't have any dog here.
Speaker 1: Do they now?
Speaker 3: But they get a school between him and a war with a gun about the war.
Speaker 1: But fifty yards did one hundred school and century yeah, and not out that you didn't look at a nuts tow.
Speaker 3: Let's school plug you before you can count five. They can see in a dark damn guy, nice quick slug in the back. Well, at least better be a change.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the.
Speaker 3: Way you feel about it to get over the wharf, stake to the main road and keep going.
Speaker 1: And this far will have to take us back before they start after you. There's some woods about a mile down the road on the left.
Speaker 3: Your safe, dad. It'll be dark in an hour. Thinks we lived on raw potato.
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna try to here.
Speaker 3: Take this order the piece of bread I say today. Thanks, hope you'll make it.
Speaker 1: Wishell's going.
Speaker 3: I think I think that's okay.
Speaker 1: I'll turn you out the other way.
Speaker 3: And start counting. When you get to twelve, I won't be here.
Speaker 1: And uh.
Speaker 3: Give my love to the ward and.
Speaker 1: Hollo M.
Speaker 3: One two.
Speaker 6: Three fine lake seven say nine.
Speaker 2: Ten.
Speaker 5: Eleven, sineteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteenth, seventeen morning ma'am eighteen nineteen giving the mat of man twenty twenty one. Other thing I brought your aunt juth ma'am twenty two, Thank you, twenty three, twenty four, twenty five, twenty six, twenty seven, twenty eight, twenty ninety thirty.
Speaker 3: That's better.
Speaker 2: Are you sure there's nothing the matter?
Speaker 3: Ma'am just said a nightmare.
Speaker 5: I dreamt it was a man in my room. Until nightmare. I always come up the city to make sure I'm awake, So I brought the curtains.
Speaker 3: Ma'am.
Speaker 5: Please, Ellen, what sort of the days? I start the saying of yesterday, ma'am it's so foggy and rain and yeah, you know that's fundy for the state.
Speaker 2: They haven't caught him yet. Oh exciting, been out almost.
Speaker 4: Two days now. You know who he is within the papers.
Speaker 5: He's the one that killed a detective in Central Park three years ago. Remember the playboy killer, the one that made.
Speaker 2: Such a fuss Denmont, Yeah, that was his name.
Speaker 5: Who it might have been worth? I should thinking Weather. I guess you wouldn't have any trouble keeping.
Speaker 1: Away from the police. Yeah, but he's got to eat.
Speaker 5: And get closed, don'ty. And when he's consent for that, that's when they'll catch him.
Speaker 2: I'll close the window, ma'am. I suppose I have to get up.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's over with.
Speaker 5: He can't ride a fish, can't even go walking.
Speaker 2: Ellen, Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 5: Oh, Ellen, shall I get up?
Speaker 2: Or should I stay in bed all day? Yes?
Speaker 3: Did you please?
Speaker 2: Ma'am?
Speaker 5: Says I better get up, so I'm run the bat on there? Yeah, and hand me that dressing gun with him, the one on a chair.
Speaker 3: There has run like an ice house.
Speaker 5: Here are ma'am.
Speaker 3: Thanks, sorry, ma'am boy not very hot this morning.
Speaker 5: How I've settled it. I'll not take a cold out. Yes, ma'am, Ellen, you go right down and find out what's the matter? When the waters?
Speaker 3: How?
Speaker 1: You call me?
Speaker 3: Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 5: Until then, I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying right here in bed, yes, ma'am.
Speaker 3: A day.
Speaker 5: Hey, Hey, what's going on there under my bed?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Shure, there's better than them?
Speaker 3: Yes, one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight times? Everything's all right?
Speaker 5: Ten eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen sixty.
Speaker 3: What are you doing in my room? I'm terribly sorry, I'm eighteen ninety quiet. I wonder if you'd mind very much speaking Peanis I know who you are? Yeah? That's right?
Speaker 1: How did you get in through the window? Ben?
Speaker 3: Under the bed?
Speaker 1: Frowers?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry? How was I to know it was a lady?
Speaker 5: Because I don't know?
Speaker 3: That's not an infallible test of sex. I didn't either. You'd have heard me you say you went to sleep under my bed?
Speaker 4: Or quite sound of course?
Speaker 3: If i'd know, really, well, aren't you going?
Speaker 1: I'd like to But where?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: I can't look at me Where.
Speaker 3: Can I go in these clothes?
Speaker 2: The strips? Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Do you expect me to lend you some hardly? I would be eternally grateful if you'd give me something to eat, anything, some candy on the table?
Speaker 5: I have one.
Speaker 1: You know you've got quite a nerve.
Speaker 5: I'll turn you over to the police. I could do it, you know, just by ringing yoursell.
Speaker 3: Of course you could. But then I don't think you will.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: No, I know who you are. Your name's in the paper.
Speaker 5: Now, look, do you really like my position?
Speaker 1: Sorry?
Speaker 3: I'm afraid I only realized my own.
Speaker 5: What am I going to do? Suppose I don't hand you over? How are you going to get out of here without being seen?
Speaker 1: Mind? If I finished the candy, very good, I've been forty hours.
Speaker 3: On two raw potatoes and a piece of bread mine.
Speaker 1: If my parmits a water, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 3: I should go over it so quick?
Speaker 5: Aren't know I didn't signify?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: Well of you must know I put my things into a draw.
Speaker 1: It's runs all.
Speaker 3: Do you know that you're only three miles from the prison. Yeah, I do, I do.
Speaker 1: The first night I thought i'd get to have a straw, but I walked around in circles, I.
Speaker 3: Say, is that a raison?
Speaker 2: I underwashed?
Speaker 5: If my husband I've known you dare touch it, I've tawd.
Speaker 1: There's a limit, you know.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to hand you a weapon, of.
Speaker 4: Course, not that you wouldn't mind if I shaved?
Speaker 5: Would you with this?
Speaker 3: I haven't a chance even if I did have clothes. I'm a very quick shait.
Speaker 1: It hits me one minute, I'll oh, I go ahead? Does his brushing is soaky? I'm sorry? There's no hot water?
Speaker 4: The hell?
Speaker 5: Have they come close to catching you yet?
Speaker 1: That's why.
Speaker 3: Twenty feet of the hall the human there's nothing so awful as a shade like I'm sorry, that's of course not having it. Can I use this to take the blue one? Thanks? Huh? That's why I have put on my shoes out of the bed. Go ahead, Thank you so much?
Speaker 5: So you actually touched under my bed?
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 1: Well, that's amazing, amazing it will be if I got away.
Speaker 4: No one ever has you know from that place?
Speaker 5: Tell me, mister Genals, weren't you todd with my brother? He used to talk about him at Genals who did one hundred yard dashing ten three?
Speaker 3: Quite like that. I was the Todd with a lot of brothers. What is his name? So now I can't hill that. You're right.
Speaker 1: Never tell a convict anything he can tell anybody else. Why? Really don't see what else I can do to help you.
Speaker 3: I don't know either.
Speaker 5: I read your trial.
Speaker 1: Is everything you said true gospel.
Speaker 2: I suppose the police do keep it after those girls.
Speaker 1: No wonder you lost your temper?
Speaker 3: No I didn't. I wasn't really angry with him. I hit him.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry enough with the poor guy. O, mister Jannet, Watch what happens now.
Speaker 3: You've been very kind. I don't want to impose on you anymore than I have to. But you know I'll never get out of here this way. Take a look out of the window. See that man down there is the police.
Speaker 5: Oh I could signal to him.
Speaker 3: Just not so easy, good.
Speaker 1: Night, good night.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't. People don't give away their own kind.
Speaker 5: No, go try down to the other room, to this space.
Speaker 2: Try the couple next towards to me.
Speaker 3: Yes, no, no, thanks, not right now? Do you think she had it? I hope not. Well thanks again. You don't know how to swear. It's been out to two years in jail to talk to a lady. I won't leave any traces.
Speaker 2: What are you going to do?
Speaker 3: Wait till the gent downstairs and looking the other way, sneak along your dualk and they drop down at the end of it and run through it again. It's still an pretty fair. I wasn't so stipid.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I look here.
Speaker 5: When I go to my bus, I'm make sure as no one in the hall. If I don't come back, go to un the stairs.
Speaker 3: Hanging by the door.
Speaker 5: You'll find my husband's raincoats, a long tweed run the stains, and a fishing run in the basket. And I'm all half a slide with p some morning.
Speaker 1: Go out the front door.
Speaker 5: The river's down to the left.
Speaker 1: Can you fish?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Are you better?
Speaker 1: Then I won't be able to see you.
Speaker 5: But if you get by safely, whistle whistle the ladies in love with you?
Speaker 3: Do you know it? You know?
Speaker 6: But sure?
Speaker 3: He used to hear it in jail on the radio. I can't thank you enough. I think you're wonderful.
Speaker 2: Good luck. I'm gonna wait here, take a desk.
Speaker 5: If you see anyone looking at you, drink.
Speaker 3: Nothing gives people more confident than the land and to see him take a drink? Right, what are you going to say to your husband?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I'll worry about that when he comes home.
Speaker 5: Oh oh, and here's ten dollars. It's all I've got with me.
Speaker 3: You know, I think you're sublime.
Speaker 2: I doubt it.
Speaker 3: If I'm caught, I'll swear I stole everything. If I get out of this frug get it, I get behind the doornot.
Speaker 2: Here we go, all right, the coach's care.
Speaker 1: Oh luis get back?
Speaker 5: She comes to me, Era, Yes, ma'am, would you mind getting me the dress I sent down to.
Speaker 2: Be pressed last night? Yes, ma'am. Is your husband back, ma'am?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: I thought I had to talk.
Speaker 5: And oh I wasn't talking to anyone, Ellen, just counting, just counting to myself. All right, ma'am, I'll get the dress.
Speaker 2: Now. That's the very one, isn't it sad?
Speaker 1: That's right?
Speaker 5: Ellen, Very well, ma'am.
Speaker 1: This is getting a little hectic.
Speaker 5: Now go on quick, and when you get into the streets safely.
Speaker 1: Don't forget to whistle.
Speaker 3: Oh I won't.
Speaker 2: Goodbye, goodbye, that's good.
Speaker 1: Good afternoon.
Speaker 3: Oh hello, my an advice it here a while?
Speaker 1: Are you paish uncan. My name's Underwood, Judge Underwood.
Speaker 3: I'm retired. How do you do? Say? Too well for you?
Speaker 4: I'm afraid it's a bit bright now. Yes, for fishing, I mean, yes, they're.
Speaker 1: Seating in the world, our local croud, except maybe the Blue Croud out in Washington see one, two eight of them. Ay and delicious with butter and potatoes.
Speaker 3: I'll see Paugy this morning, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: There's quite a lot of these polls here in the valley.
Speaker 4: Only good for convicts and escape.
Speaker 3: You mean, but they never get away? I believe, no, so I'm told.
Speaker 1: But they try, you know, they do try, and always wanted what I'd do if I bumped into an escaped convict. Yes, you'd have quite a problem, there, wouldn't you? Out between the law and one's didn't prints as a gentleman. If it's a gentleman, like a whole conversation with a felon.
Speaker 4: What do you think?
Speaker 1: It seems to me anyone who tries to escape must have a lot of nerves.
Speaker 3: It's taking a long chance.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't envy him. This is getting to be a pretty law abiding country these days. Evading the law isn't quite the glamorous thing.
Speaker 3: It used to be.
Speaker 1: Someone's probably appeal to me. I've done some escaping. My soul was that songs from school when I was.
Speaker 3: A boy ran away. That's right. I was ahead of them for two days before they caught up.
Speaker 1: Two days. Very interesting, good.
Speaker 3: Way to lose weight. Ever been on a raw potato?
Speaker 2: Dat?
Speaker 3: By the way, I hear convict go way Melsworth this day before yesterday? Yes, I saw that.
Speaker 4: Yes, well the name of Matt Dennis. I really scaped the time.
Speaker 1: Very interesting. I strike you don't believe I remember it? What that central part case? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yes, there was some girl they were trying to wrist. You know, in a case like that, they might wait till someone complain, don't you think.
Speaker 1: Well, technically, I suppose the detective were doing his duty, and yet in those cases there's always an element of doubt.
Speaker 3: The young man didn't complain.
Speaker 1: I think you have to remember father. I remember it said that he and the girl were having an intellectual conversation.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: I remember that as Segt.
Speaker 3: Thanks, I've got into a bad habit of coming out without the back home that thanks.
Speaker 1: As suppos one might run into that convict fellow in a minute, unless they've caught him.
Speaker 3: Do you a little like meeting a copperhead? We got a lot of them around here. Poor thing only wants to get away from you, And.
Speaker 1: Yet if you don't break us back into one, it'll bite something. I had two dogs die of snake mine. So it's a duty, perhaps, do you think so, Tody? Probably I don't always do mine?
Speaker 3: Oh don't you?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad of that need to do.
Speaker 3: I do you know that prison he got away from the dreary, sir, PRIs from the outside. I mean that was worth Yes, I know.
Speaker 1: And the fact is I've had the misfortune to send a good many people to prison in my time, And in those days I made a point of seeing a prison now and then, I remember I used to give my juries a past to go and see where they sent their fellow human beings. And out of a lot, how many do you think I had the curiosity? None?
Speaker 4: How'd you get.
Speaker 3: Who'd want to go into a prison?
Speaker 1: I just assume visit the more the bodies there aren't living. Anyway, you tell me, prisons are much improved nowadays. They've introduced a human feeling, have they splendid.
Speaker 4: What was the date of that? I mean, they don't shave their heads anymore?
Speaker 3: You know any convicts?
Speaker 4: I no, Well, yes, I know one?
Speaker 1: Really is he interesting?
Speaker 3: The most interesting man I know.
Speaker 1: And tell me suppose this man we were talking about this escape country suddenly it turned up here.
Speaker 3: What would you do? Run like a hare?
Speaker 4: Yes, I suppose it would depend.
Speaker 1: Partly on whether anyone else was around. Human nature is very sensitive. Do you like the climate? Hudson Valley has.
Speaker 4: Quite a reputation, overrated.
Speaker 3: I think been here before.
Speaker 1: No, this is my first business staying long, I hope not beautiful spot Lassy Point.
Speaker 3: I liked it better for up the river. Well, I think our call of the day anything wrong. You're not here, are you?
Speaker 1: I'm afraid I'll have to abandon the excellency guy who gave me. I've enjoyed it, but I'm.
Speaker 3: Smoking on a rather empty stumble.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, I know, best feeling.
Speaker 1: I got it one step before I was to speak at some sort of testimonial dinner. Tobacco must be one of the things you really miss in prison. And as I suppose, they get tobacco now and then though empty stomach too, I guess Yes.
Speaker 3: Here's another cigar. Try it later after you've eaten. I will, but you're passing my back. Thanks really going.
Speaker 4: Eh where I must be getting onto? It's been very pleasant.
Speaker 1: I have enjoyed our little talk. My time of life, one doesn't often get new sensation.
Speaker 3: What heaven have I given you any well?
Speaker 1: I don't remember ever having talked before to a man who'd escaped from school.
Speaker 3: Goodbye, sir, goodbye mister Dennant.
Speaker 1: Huh. I hope you have a pleasant journey, especially because no one seems to have noticed.
Speaker 3: The real chat. Would you mind telling me how you spotted me?
Speaker 4: Oh where you kept looking at your trout? Wopeishly, I think that's the word.
Speaker 1: Then, if you'll excuse me those type of trousers of yours that cotally goes so far down you know, I guess I hope you'd think I was the lead a.
Speaker 3: Fashion and there was another.
Speaker 1: Thing you're obvious sympathy for yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a prison habit.
Speaker 1: You're not allowed to sympathize with other people for fear of contaminating them.
Speaker 3: So you sympathize with yourself. Before I got stand up, I don't remember ever feeling sorry for myself. Now, I doubt if I ever feel sorry for anyone else.
Speaker 4: It's very natural.
Speaker 3: Well, it's been most interesting because.
Speaker 1: Now you see, if I were to meet an escape convict, I know what I should do. Do you mind if I ask, well, mister Demmont, this time I say, this time, I wink the other eye. It's a good day, you, good day, thanks.
Speaker 3: From you. The moment I feel quite human again. You know that's been rather the effect on me.
Speaker 1: Well, good day. This is radio at ninety point seven w FVSM, New York. If you are listening to the Campbell Playoffs presentation of Escape, Starry Watson Wells.
Speaker 3: And Wendy Bardy. This is the Columbia Broadcasting System.
Speaker 1: LID to Ernest Chapel, Ladies and gentlemen, welcoming you back to the Campbell Playhouse. In a moment, we will resume our presentation of Escape for just a moment. Now I'd like to talk about another kind of escape, I mean, the happy escape for mother from so many of the labors of the kitchen. Time was, and it was only yesterday when Mother all but lived in the kitchen. She had to do so in order that her family might have tempting and wholesome dishes. Soup making in particular was a long and tedious family need, and so she patiently devoted herself to her soup kettle. Today times have changed, the home soup kettle is more and more going the way of the candle mold and the spinning wheel.
Speaker 3: As women everywhere have tried.
Speaker 1: Campbell's soups, They've tasted these soups of candles and realized that they are indeed made the true homeway, delicious and wholesome and nourishing. Women have watched their families enjoy them, and they've heard their husbands say, there's just.
Speaker 3: No sense either are going to all the bother of making soup anymore, not when.
Speaker 1: We can buy such fine soups disease. And so I'd like to invite you, if you haven't already done so, to try some of the twenty one tempting Campbell soups. Try, for instance, Campbell's Chicken Soup for its rich chicken flavor. Or try Campbell's Vegetable Soup with its hearty beef stock and fifteen different garden vegetables if you will. I'm pretty sure that when your family tastes.
Speaker 4: Them, they'll say to you too.
Speaker 1: Let's have these soups of Campbell's right along. Now we resume our Campbell playoffs. Presentation of escape starting Orson Welles and Wendy Very, Matt.
Speaker 3: Dennis, Matt Dennis be on lookout for Matt Dennis's age twenty eight fight five eleven inches serving five year cent or second degree murders.
Speaker 1: Escape from Elsworth's Christon Farm, October thirteenth, reported.
Speaker 3: Last night off Highway number nine w leave heading south. What last scene wearing gray raincoat, gray felt.
Speaker 1: Hats, no trousers. All right, so it cleared up my narrow thought cleared up. I made a mistake, So.
Speaker 5: So it's cleared up. So maybe as it did, you wouldn't be so smart about the climate.
Speaker 3: It's rain to rain, and you missus spotty.
Speaker 1: You'll never makes mistakes.
Speaker 5: I don't suppose you gotta have arguments here.
Speaker 2: Too all the time. Just because you're married.
Speaker 1: I don't mean you got a legal right. People are already mama, certainly. So now we're here, we're having effect making. Everything that's nice. Certainly, I think smart. Everything's very nice. I sure was hungry they to sell it there, y'all even help yourself so he please everybody remember it's free, restlessend for nothing, enjoying yourself.
Speaker 3: Oh, Jess, take for Deighton next, I mean special for your digitious cake.
Speaker 5: Say, I think you brought your clarinet?
Speaker 1: Oh I got up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, give a two.
Speaker 1: I think makes a little level in the party.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: How about the when you played the other night?
Speaker 5: It's Spanish?
Speaker 1: Is something Spanish?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I know how this is going.
Speaker 1: Lamping the last some moments pop place catchall see that. I'm thinking you could thinking, but I know how it's going. And they that technical give you exact lamp hind impersona release. I know the song gets Rancho Grandel, right, go ahead, play somebody's coming. Hello, that's no good absolute.
Speaker 3: I wonder if you could put me right for Nayak, I think you've.
Speaker 1: Got lost nayank. Oh that's some high body. That must be about ten miles fifteenth that parson. Yeah, are sure you'll see your ghost out full Pearl river? You want to stand or may you walk the hell and through the left and you will see the Farnes. Maybe if you're wait a while, would give you a west No thanks, I like the exercise them. Uhhon my question profession trout I mean luck he t rather small.
Speaker 4: Here they are on the basket.
Speaker 5: Oh, I didn't mean that.
Speaker 1: Don't refuse Brodie.
Speaker 4: This is an insult.
Speaker 6: That's very nice to you.
Speaker 1: Mister certainly is thanks.
Speaker 5: Hey, you give me the newspaper serving on wrapping up here?
Speaker 2: You want want thanks?
Speaker 3: That's all right, I let it all. Roddy cut up and I atternoon, didn't it? You drive a.
Speaker 1: Spring volley even he's rolled his boyfriend.
Speaker 3: He put that in his machine.
Speaker 1: He's got relations you know anything? I have an escaped convict of scape fun. I sure thing I told you about it this morning.
Speaker 2: You remember I was speaking to your USh.
Speaker 3: He got away on the fog the night before left. I'm sure. Do you know what it reminds me?
Speaker 5: Yes, like in the movie I saw with Georgie Rats where he comes into the bedroom, you know, and then you see your hand come right.
Speaker 2: Over the pillow that I can't say.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's hearing the taper there about him.
Speaker 3: Move the fishal and give a look.
Speaker 1: I score set from the paper.
Speaker 2: Pop.
Speaker 1: Can't I tell you about it this morning? Postal number ESTEFI here fella from park? Have you the one who killed the top or centcal Park? Won't your number, Pop to play boy killer everything. He knows everything you know, for he's got mentioning the weather or the produce. Never mind, Pop, never mind. I'm a policeman. I had the cups in the state I have to have right now. So let him look, and I hope they'll catch him. There's no good.
Speaker 3: I thought he had some tough luck, you know, so.
Speaker 1: That stuff he hits the detective, he boisted his head and he killed him. So then if he come out to catch him, pathet, I found it was a quarrel. The man made no attempt to a vadeerestracides, and the detective said he hit his head on a radiar, and the doctor said he died of concussion concussion. And if I would have been but judge, I would have governed m Pop solue.
Speaker 3: For they are already is a judge now.
Speaker 1: He only got out to get you with society stopsolutely, you understand, party. The whole thing is where the social struck.
Speaker 3: If I'm sure a car out there on the road, sure.
Speaker 1: Rose, buddy, how.
Speaker 3: Does she run ops?
Speaker 1: For like twice? What you believe, mister, that I could take you on places on that machine, But have your big cars wouldn't even get you in there? Nice mechanics, I mechanic?
Speaker 3: He is that a charge?
Speaker 1: I also say it. Listen, come on, everybody here, all right? Place pop, never mind.
Speaker 3: And I hope you enjoyed the fish.
Speaker 1: You're sure you want to? Forgive you a wap? No thanks.
Speaker 3: And thanks for the.
Speaker 1: Follow it charming my shongfellows, A nice boys, a nice young man.
Speaker 3: The cheers. Please, how did you see what he did? Did you please to pet me the cheese?
Speaker 1: But how did you see what he did?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 1: What did he did?
Speaker 3: He snicked some of the food.
Speaker 1: He sneakeed some of this food. Why would a man like him sneach other people's food? Listen?
Speaker 5: I thought, with my young nice he took the cheesecake.
Speaker 1: He took the cheesecake, ridiculas, What are you talking about? Rolls? It took the cheesecake. Why shouldn't he take a cheesecake?
Speaker 5: He fight?
Speaker 1: I just thought something I've already thinking. Stop that you know was a fans under us? Call I am not interesting in thanks, I'm looking at his cake an his hand.
Speaker 2: He wasn't wearing anny.
Speaker 1: Listen, listen, I did a judge that he's an mechanic. That is a force player top he said, Pop, Please, don't you get on the pants. He wasn't wearing any pan.
Speaker 5: But like living a shady shop hens the mashine.
Speaker 1: Hey, sassy fatty, can you madam that fop to one of the papers. That's him, He crook, the maid of pop, the plea boy killer.
Speaker 5: That's him.
Speaker 1: Wait, like an a hold of that guy.
Speaker 3: I'll show him.
Speaker 2: Who's that?
Speaker 1: All right? Ving? All right, don't get the second because the best to take the fish can get out of here ready, he's fresh for a shove alet. How's that for a trade?
Speaker 3: Did I tell you this morning that it should have ring?
Speaker 7: Hey, Joe, look where a hind the haygetag?
Speaker 1: It's your man?
Speaker 3: Man? Yeah, you just sleep swearing a raincoat? Share? Yeah, what I think you sink?
Speaker 1: Joe?
Speaker 7: Look at his legs sweak enough?
Speaker 1: Is that known?
Speaker 3: He do the trouble? What seems to the trouble? He was just talking? Would you mind pointing out tiscot the other way?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 3: Told us to be on look out for an escape convict, and we thought maybe you was it.
Speaker 1: That's good and now you see that I'm not. We don't know who you are whose place is this? Oh man conforms the conquer the recognition, constantly wanted to see you too, Joe, you go get oh Man lash his arms and to beato patch. Okay, I'll be back and Sam Well. This convict thought I must be out here somewhere, stole the car, found his little ways up the road in the ditch after cor got doing me, and he's saying, he thatt Miss Conlans decide.
Speaker 3: I don't want to be waiting for the I don't see this, mister con no. I reckon, you bet shit.
Speaker 1: Right here for spout anything. He's saying, Uh, the how are the crops that he it is?
Speaker 3: The rain must have done him a lot of good?
Speaker 1: Eh the rain?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Come on? Now do I talk like a convict?
Speaker 1: Can't say? Never heard the convict talk? And if you hate him? What was he doing hiding?
Speaker 3: He had hiding?
Speaker 1: He say he had pitch log with the totition through. Okay, I've had enough of this, he say, are runny clean through this bitch park coup there.
Speaker 3: To what's going on here? Mister content? That's me.
Speaker 1: My name's Matthew, John Matthew. I'm staying in New City.
Speaker 3: These many of you have seen to think I'm a common thing.
Speaker 1: Well, key, you every kind of toast the state prison.
Speaker 3: Yes, I know, I gotta be careful when this break and.
Speaker 5: The state cooper says, this is the worst thing this man they've never had.
Speaker 3: Get along with here, want to stay the youngest daughters here. Hello, Sarah, Hello.
Speaker 1: State Cooper here less than a hour goal give a description of you pretty well, mister, You've got to get him back here.
Speaker 4: And then they talked to him.
Speaker 1: It's an ideam. Joe went down to the house called San Kelly at the courthouse. Tell me come over all right, Sarah, go along with Joe. Want to say, mister gott you say your name is Matthew Man Matthew So you're staying in New City? Yes, maybe you can tell.
Speaker 3: Me the name of the place you're staying. I'm never paying attention to the names. You remember the name of the place you're staying. And I'm right hide Joanes. That ports on the side of three winners.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, Tian breakfast that morning that porch burned down two years ago. I guess you left in a hurry after breakfast because you forgot to put your pants on on your coat all right, it's content you win. Sheeeesh kind of thought you. Yes, let's another house run cast your heads contract, all right, don't bring out the wagon.
Speaker 3: Yes, your shame come on the fort. Give me a chance, don't you asking me? I suppose not?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: I gave him a good run for them. One half had forty eight dollars free. Do you have a cigarette?
Speaker 1: You just a plug myself?
Speaker 3: Have you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: Joe?
Speaker 2: Would you sign my book?
Speaker 3: That's no whe Well, I gotta get somebody, don't I.
Speaker 5: It's no fun collecting autographs. I don't get somebody.
Speaker 3: All right? He missed you signed the book for the little Girl?
Speaker 1: All right, sir, I'll sign it if you want it in ink or in blood. See that'll be swell mine or yours. Never got a pencil here. She's got a fountain with him?
Speaker 5: What to my friend Sarah Confence devoted you?
Speaker 3: My friend Sarah Conklan devoted me? All right?
Speaker 1: Yeah gee thanks mister mister dinner.
Speaker 3: Oh you're an old lady.
Speaker 1: You'll be able to say you've met murderous mats.
Speaker 3: That's a compliment. Won't you give me a chance? He's a better criminal, not me, of course, not as soon?
Speaker 4: Ashould be to ask you. Well, that's that.
Speaker 3: I guess there's nothing more to say, is there?
Speaker 1: Goodbye?
Speaker 3: Are you talking about?
Speaker 1: I said goodbye?
Speaker 3: I'm going going where?
Speaker 1: You can't do that? Why not? I don't see. You've got to stop me.
Speaker 3: Can you put on a pitch for Joe Sam?
Speaker 1: Too bad?
Speaker 3: You sent them away?
Speaker 1: Jem come back here for them no longer? Boy said to Dinner, come back here, come.
Speaker 2: Back Joe Sam.
Speaker 1: Quite a chance?
Speaker 2: Just so well?
Speaker 1: You there ahead, boy, mister Dinner had a for nothing for he hasn't a pastor get in.
Speaker 3: I hope he gets away.
Speaker 5: I sure hope he gets away.
Speaker 3: Sanctuary? Who are you? Have you been here long? I was hiding behind those coats in the vestry? Or you're the convicts they've been looking for you? Oughtn't to have come here into a church.
Speaker 1: I don't know where I'll go now, wait, close the door.
Speaker 3: I think I read about you. You're that Matt Dennis. Yes, poor fellow. I didn't mean to kill him. I've been sorry. Where have you come from?
Speaker 4: Who was chasing you?
Speaker 3: Farm down? A great contain farmer to hired hands a stake tub.
Speaker 1: The Lord knows?
Speaker 3: Who are my oparishioners.
Speaker 1: That you came to me for.
Speaker 3: Thanktual, thank you? Mind I wonder this is a situation I've never had to face, mister Dennim you just let me rest of it, That's all I'll ask, of course, sit, thank you. I locked the door, not that window. Oh no, no, they can't see him. I expect you're hungry too.
Speaker 4: No thanks, I'm beyond it, you know that feeling.
Speaker 3: No, I'm afraid we of the church lead to regular lines.
Speaker 1: Poor father, how does it look? Can you give me up? There's one man to another.
Speaker 3: Who am I to give you up? I can't help you to escape, but if you want rest, you're welcome.
Speaker 1: Wonder what our Lord would have done for that, Mister Dennis is the hardest preaching in the world.
Speaker 4: Nobody ever knows. Very tired.
Speaker 3: I never thought long to feel such. I have a little brandy here. Sometimes someone gets saint church. Thank you, Yeah, drink it down.
Speaker 1: Thanks, I do, mind you, I wonder if you return this fast form. It's empty and here's the address herat the La Coup. You might say, with unending.
Speaker 3: Gratitude, but please don't give that name away. I'll see to it.
Speaker 1: What made you escape and stick up Bob jat nccage and open the door.
Speaker 3: I'm mistaken to see what happens. Yes, I know what you're thinking. I've done my time and more. If you have a fair trial, you can't try bad luck home bad well. I oughtn't to have hit him, of course, but for an orderly knock out six weeks or something like that. About you get I got five years because of a railing. If you're quiet in your own mind.
Speaker 1: That's the only pay yountn't worry if I'll be caught, all right, I'm not worrying about that.
Speaker 3: What bothers me is my own piece of mind. I don't like the thoughts that keep rising in your op parishioners. Ah, yes, when you've gone, Shall I be entitled? Who have been silent about you? Without telling them that I've been silent? Am I entitled to refrain from helping the law without letting my parishioners know it? And if I let them know it, can I keep what little influence I now possess.
Speaker 1: It is right for a priest to go on where he.
Speaker 3: Has no influence. But that's my trouble, mister Dennis. I say I hear who is that? No, Thomas, I'm busy now. I can't let anyone into the church. Will service time my sex, hospitality demarg.
Speaker 1: Shan'ner good, fam, I don't want to be on your conscience.
Speaker 3: I'll be moving. No, wait, I'll have vestors in a few minutes. There will only be a few gathered together that I'm afraid you can rest in the vestry through the service.
Speaker 1: Nobody comes here, thanksfully, all right, I'll go and take my chance again.
Speaker 3: It's dark now, and I don't like to give up. I'll give them another run in decotiny open. You might give me your blessing. I'm not certain enough of myself. Not certain. It takes supticious police to give a blessing a real thing this time?
Speaker 1: What is it? Who is it?
Speaker 3: I give up on it. Get behind those coats and.
Speaker 2: The propp.
Speaker 1: Sorry, it's about that escape convict. I told you, Thomas, I could see no until after vests.
Speaker 3: I know, father, I know that it's this officer here. Thought you ought to be told. I saw a man coming in here a while back, the escaped convict fatherow.
Speaker 1: This man says he found him in a haystack on the South Mountain road, but.
Speaker 3: He gave him a slip and he came in here.
Speaker 1: You've been here long, honey, ah a please, Lord's lock, but I haven't done the side.
Speaker 3: Sure he's not in tide the church.
Speaker 1: I don't know whether you have the right to chearch a holy place, but but look for yourself as quietly as you can. Please, look you go with him to it?
Speaker 3: Then I suppose that concreet quite all right? Yes, father, quick? So he used to coming back? Oh, Pomplin looked already.
Speaker 1: Who can't you get through? He got away from me? Yes, he did run into it like a rabbity.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 1: He's fought for he is. Say, I'll find them, coach more, coach.
Speaker 3: I think I'll look. Yes, that's old, has been there a few quotes.
Speaker 1: Now, that's sure is a funny Thing's gotta tryme coming in here. He's all I saw him all right outside of cause you all the trouble power.
Speaker 3: It's got to be done, you know, quite all right? Father, it's time to ring the bell for best. Yes, father, and.
Speaker 1: I'm afraid I'll have to ask you all to go to please, unless, of course he'd like to stay for the sir. No, No, can't do that I keep backward.
Speaker 3: Yes, I understand.
Speaker 1: All right, Hey, just a minute, you're part of my asking father, Are you certain you haven't seen this man?
Speaker 3: What is it you're asking me?
Speaker 1: Father? I am asking you, on your honor as a Christian, whether or not you've seen the escape convict.
Speaker 3: He hasn't. Sorry, Father, I was hidden in there. I give up. Office said okay, but we.
Speaker 1: Weren't looking here.
Speaker 3: Didn't you let me say you're.
Speaker 1: Heading this way? You think we wouldn't see you? Right? Then?
Speaker 3: The party is over.
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 4: Please, please.
Speaker 3: Be quiet? This great forgive me father? Important was coming here? Wasn't fair? It's all right.
Speaker 1: Trouble is.
Speaker 3: It's one decent self. One can't escape. Let one decent self.
Speaker 1: This concludes our Campbell Playoffs presentation of Escape, starring Rson Wells and Wendy Berry. In just the moment, mister Wells will return to the microphone with miss Berry.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, I'd like to take long enough to tell you just.
Speaker 1: What it is. It gives Campbell's tomato soup. It's superb. It's really mashless flavor. First, of course, are the tomatoes Campbell's shoes only tomatoes grown under their supervision. Tomatoes that are extra luscious, heavy with fine flavor and decent colors. Then Campbell's take these specially grown tomatoes and smoothly blend them with golden table butters.
Speaker 3: And a delicate seasonings to bring out all the full.
Speaker 4: Rich tomato flavors.
Speaker 1: Have you had Campbell's tomato soups lately? I say lately, because this has been a great tomato year, and you'll enjoy more than ever the taste these fine tomatoes gift to Campbell's Tomato soup. So won't you take this as a friendly reminder of the rare good eating that awaits you in a stealing plateful, And remember, too, you can delightfully vary your way of serving it, sometimes by adding an equal.
Speaker 3: Quantity of milk instead.
Speaker 1: Of water to enjoy a luscious, extra nourishing cream of tomatoes. Won't you want to put on your grocery list tomorrow Campbell's Tomato Soup and now here is awesome. Well, ladies and gentlemen, it gives me great pleasure to introduce to you, our guests of the evening, one of the gayest and most charming ladies in Hollywood, and it's Wendy Berries.
Speaker 3: Thanks awesome, good evening, Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: Miss Berry's brief life has been full of surprises, Ladies and gentlemen. She was born in Hong Kong, China. By the time she was seventeen, she'd been around the world.
Speaker 3: Six times, heaven and in aff in, in and out of no.
Speaker 1: Less than seven Young Ladies Academy six.
Speaker 4: I'll never get this right.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Wendy here going into Tatures with accident. I'm sure I'm right about this. Alexander Corner caught sight of her at a luncheon table, dinner, dinner table. Within a few hours she was playing one of the lovely ladies who brightened Charles Lawton's life as Henry the Eighth.
Speaker 5: Well, that's roughly the way it happened, and in her latest.
Speaker 3: Picture RKO is highly successful. Five came back? Is that right? It was only by the closest of.
Speaker 1: Margins that she did not remain on the banks of the Amazon, afraid to blood thirty savages head Hunter's Eye for one. And I'm sure all of you ladies and gentlemen are extremely glad that she did not escape from the headhunters and survived to be whether it's on the Campbell playhoffs to night and I'm glad to Auston's terriby Dad. It's been a lot of fun playing here with you the nicest.
Speaker 4: Thanks, and I hope you will be back with us very soon, Wendy.
Speaker 1: That night in our Campbell Playhouse presentation.
Speaker 3: Of Escape, it's Wendy barret O guest slay the Lady in the Hotel.
Speaker 1: Ray Collins was more than ordinarily busy in.
Speaker 3: The roles of the murdered copy forgiving Judge and the unforgiving and.
Speaker 4: The order names Brigoli number.
Speaker 3: Two with everetts Phone, who started off as the.
Speaker 1: Convict, made a quick change into the character of Irving the young Picnicker, and routed out the evening as.
Speaker 4: The second farm hand.
Speaker 1: Edgar Berrier was the priest and the Cabby Jack Smart was another cap.
Speaker 4: And another farm hand.
Speaker 1: The Girl in the Park was played by b Bennaderrett, who was also president of the picnic Henriette Kay was the maid and Mabel Albertson with.
Speaker 4: Betty and here comes with surprise.
Speaker 3: In case you didn't guess, the foremost picnicker of.
Speaker 1: Them all was that really great and really inimitable Benny Rubin music for the camera playoffs, as always, was conducted and in part composed by Senor Bernard Hermann.
Speaker 3: And now just worry about next week's story. Next week we transflam another sign play from the other side of the Ocean, and.
Speaker 1: Hope it does as well here on the radio as it is there on the stage. If this one does not, you can blame me for it, because this one is probably the big makest hit that ever clicked in seven languages and plays have been written in trolls.
Speaker 3: The story is Lillian. Need I say more?
Speaker 1: The stars Helen Hayes, Can I say more than that?
Speaker 3: Until then?
Speaker 1: Until next Sunday night, at the same time, when Helen Hayes rejoins us on the Campbell Playhouse, my sponsors, the makers of Campbell Soup.
Speaker 3: And all of us on the Campbell Playhouse remain as always obedient to your.
Speaker 1: The make up the Campbell's Soups joint Arton Wells and inviting you to be with us at the Campbell Playhouse again next Sunday evening, when we will bring you one of your most favorite plays. WILLIAMS. Peach bring Auton Wells and Miss Helen Hayes are exclusive Campbell Playhouse stars. Remember Campbell Playhouse next Sunday evening. Meanwhile, if you've enjoyed the night's presentation, once.
Speaker 3: You tell your grocery show tomorrow when you order.
Speaker 1: Campbell's to make. This is Ernest Chappell saying thank you and good night. A great new daytime show for radio listeners. Lanny Ross Radio's popular star singing your favorite songs. Hear him every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning over most of these stations. See your daily paper for time and station. Why not make a date for tomorrow with Lannie Ross