Speaker 1: This is India Today Podcasts.
Speaker 2: You are on India Today Podcasts and you are in the sledging room. Let me warn you this is not a place for the faint hearted and the weak need. If you're a sports puff and like challenging everything you see and hear, stay If you're a Sooner Bodatya fan, walk away right now.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the sledging room.
Speaker 1: Some of the usual.
Speaker 3: Suspects you know, have boycotted us today, have snubbed.
Speaker 1: Us when they come back after an hour.
Speaker 3: Nicol naz Man from Sports Today, he's going to Dubai to bring us, you know, some exclusive updates from the super for stage of the Asia Cup.
Speaker 1: And we have Alan and Debutino.
Speaker 3: Alan back from behalf back from his long vacation, but you know he's back in the mix. He has come to the he's come back at you know where he critical juncture where you have to track updates probably every minute. That's how the Asia Cup has been. But not for the quality of cricket or for the cricket per se. Right, if I ask both of you name one sensational not from the Asia Cup, what would you quickly recollect.
Speaker 4: H time scratching my head right now.
Speaker 3: Otherwise you do that. But yeah, but this Cup, I'll give it to you. It's been really tough, you know, to talk about cricket in the Asia Cup, at least in the at the end of the group stage, India take on one on Friday. With that the group stage is over and the Super Four start on Saturday with Bangaladesh and rivalry resuming. But you know what happened in the last few days has been If you're on one side of the fence, it has been okay, befitting reply.
Speaker 1: You would call it a befitting reply.
Speaker 3: If you're another side of the fence, you would say an unfortunate turn of events.
Speaker 1: I just dive straight into it. Could we have avoided all this drama.
Speaker 3: Starting from the handshakes nub Could India have not done the handshakes numb and carried on with just another game?
Speaker 1: See or what do you think?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so if you look at the context of it, like we have seen the Ukraine War also happen right where Belarus has been one of the people who have So there was a game I don't remember who the opponent was. She was in Ukrainian and she did not shake her hands with realitis.
Speaker 1: It is happening. It is happening, and.
Speaker 5: You know, for the for the best part of it, probably a person like Sablanca has come out and said that, you know, I'm not somebody who's supporting the war. Now with the Pakistan team, you do not see any such kind of things, right, You do not see any kind of comments from there side. Or they're strongly condemning what has happened and being in support of the Indian team. And in that case, you cannot expect them a very warm reception from the Indian team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, put aside the rivalry and all that.
Speaker 5: These guys might be, you know, friends outside of the field, but in the field during such a situation, you cannot expect them to be very happy and cordial with you. So might as well just take it and just leave the field instead creating a whole problem with the handshake being there. Going after the match referee, I was like you said, I was out of all of this for some time.
Speaker 1: I was expecting good cricket.
Speaker 5: When I did not see good cricket, I was like, okay, final, this Asia Cup is going to pass by. It's not going to create a lot of you know, a lot of moments and all that, but it's been a drag in terms of quality. And then you have all these nonsense. It is nonsense that is happening in Pakistan.
Speaker 4: What were they expecting, like what would happen in Loy'll be chirpy and it will be happy, and we'll have a good match and they'll hug it out.
Speaker 1: This was supposed to happen.
Speaker 4: And like a couple, they said they rather than focusing on all of this, they would rather like to focus on cricket itself, like because their cricket has not been good at all, Like ask Simony, you for that matter, that it has not been good, So rather focus on it and after the match is over, rather than talking about your entire performance, what it was, how it turned out, they're just taking to how oh no they didn't they didn't shake hands with us.
Speaker 1: We're very angry.
Speaker 4: We don't like this.
Speaker 5: Also also with the fact of the kind of quality of cricket that they've produced, it's better that you don't shake hands with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, I think I think I think we will our editor bus and should discuss this copy And they wrote this, but they wrote this copy. Boycott would have been an honorable exit for Parkists exactly. And this looks like that because.
Speaker 5: At this point in time, when you look at the competition, India has just breezed past every single team that they have played U a match finished in two hours basically. Uh, the Pakistan game, it was, it was almost a foregone conclusion the moment that India started bowling and then all this hype about free getting getting pasted all over the place by his thing.
Speaker 1: Was who's also our expert?
Speaker 3: You know, he kind of made a very sly remark yesterday as remark he said that just then Pakistan and I think he put them in the same breath.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he said let them let him prepare.
Speaker 3: For imagine imagine that. See people like have had high regard for Pakistan. Pakistan exactly if you talk to, if you talk to have been part of the tribal try, they have you know, seen the best part of the liblry.
Speaker 1: Now it's nothing absolutely.
Speaker 4: Like Funnily enough, the only inciple comment that came out of a man with a Pakistan jersey and was that fan after the match who said, if they can please boycott the next match so that India India please boycott the next match.
Speaker 5: That UE game, when all this ruckers happened. Now after one hour, I expected, okay, Pakistan to probably steamroll Ue because apart from a couple of players in the UA team not they lack a lot of quality. Then the next thing I see is one of my friends saying, look at the scorecard. I saw eleven for two. I'm like, why why did they even come come to the field. It would have been honorable for them to just let Yue win the match.
Speaker 4: For a guy who is supposed to smash Bumra for a six. That comment inl did.
Speaker 1: It it is?
Speaker 5: It is like the quality is not there now rather than focusing on it. Pakistan, apart from everything else they have, the main thing that they've not focused over the last couple of years has been their cricket and we can see the results. We have seen the results on the field. Instead of that, they have changed n number of coaches, They've had any number of bier orders when they came came to India for the World Cup. And that is about it. That has been all about Pakistan cricket right now. And now you have a problem with the match.
Speaker 1: What is your best memory of the twenty World cup I think is better? Which better? Yeah, there is nothing else.
Speaker 3: If you ask Alan, he'll say Kerala is the best.
Speaker 1: Yes, probably. If you ask me, I'll say probably Tailor made is the best.
Speaker 5: But that is how cricket has been for them. And instead of all this drama, just focus on your cricket play. Well, yeah, you might not. This is a team in transition. Probably a lot of people might say there's a team in transfer.
Speaker 4: Now does a transition go on anyway you think about it?
Speaker 1: Like consistent transitions?
Speaker 4: There coming made that comment it's getting depressing to watch Pakistan.
Speaker 3: So so the thing is people are asking whether what India did was right. But like you pointed out, unless and until you don't offend someone asn't like, it's not a mandatory thing that you have to shake shake hands with.
Speaker 1: It's not part of the ICC rules.
Speaker 3: Yes, there is this thing called sporting spirits, uh.
Speaker 1: Spirits, which is has always been grey. Right.
Speaker 3: When Ashwin did that man cutting as we shouldn't call it marketing, when he ran the batter at the non strikers end, he was questioned, But then he was questioned based on the spirit. Sporting spirit, the spirit of cricket, which is a little gray. So as long as sur didn't offend anyone, as long as the NID team didn't offend anyone, it was their right asn't like whether they want to shake hands or not. After all that has happened over the last few months, after the terror attack in Pahlgam and the cross border, you know, the tensions, it's it's it's you can't just like you said, you can't just ask them to be normal.
Speaker 1: But what pack Pakistan were also right?
Speaker 3: Okay, they got hurt, they got stung, they boycotted the press conference. Okay, I'm okay with that. Salman A, you're not doing the press conference, Okay. Immediate heart will be their guilt will immediate heart because on a big stage you've kind of been humiliated, like you've been told that the opposition will not exchange pleasantries with you. But then what was that which hunt after Anty Piker? What did it resolve to confusion? One hour before the toss. I just felt for Pakistan players. You imagine being Salva. You know that UE is not going to be a straightforward game considering Pakistan standards, and you're preparing for that game and then you're being made to wait in the you're you're getting your kids stream. My whole thing is and then you're waiting for one hour and then you're saying you're getting caught in the white traffic. Thankfully they didn't play in Bangaluru, they wouldn't have. Yeah, all this drama for nothing. In the end, the PCB pc BE Chief most In Naqui attends a press conference in Lahore with former to former piece of with Chiefs Rami Raja and Adam City and then says, okay, we have given the go ahead because the matter was resolved after an apology from Andy Pykroft and created confusion. Now the ic C is thinking of taking action against the Pakistan Trikeet Board for filming that video. They had a discussion, okay, after all that that happened, the ic C agreed that Andy Pikroft will come and meet you. They had a concern with Anty Pakroft. The concern was that he kind of didn't oversee things properly and he also enabled the handshake snub when said we won't shake hands back.
Speaker 1: To during the toss that was during That is entirely up to the.
Speaker 4: Sum than whatever the India team does.
Speaker 3: So they had this gribe. They went after Antipakroff. They wrote to the ice C saying that we need the Antipacroft removed. Icic said no. And then eventually what happens the range of meeting. They agree for a meeting and you filmed that meeting and release it without audio, saying that you apologized and that's why we are playing.
Speaker 1: Who are you cheating?
Speaker 3: What was the point of all this drama over two days when it in turn affects your player. Imagine they are under so much pressure already after losing. Now they have qualified, yes by by you know, scraping through u A they qualified.
Speaker 1: Imagine if you lose to India again on.
Speaker 4: Sunday in the same dominating, disastrous fashion.
Speaker 1: So what will all that mean as a board? Are you?
Speaker 3: Are you not meant to protect your players? Yes, you protest against Piecraft, you protest against India, but there's a way to do it, not this circus that you put in front of the media, and then you know, in turn hurt your own players.
Speaker 5: And one of the things that I felt bad was for the UA players also, like see they are a very young team.
Speaker 1: They are a team that.
Speaker 5: Is yes, that's place for yeah, the place forts also, so obviously there's a consion. But these guys are building up and you know, one of the sad things for me was their captain Mohammad was him sitting in a press conference being asked the question, you know your team is full of Indian and Paristani players, so how do you guys sell well with all these tensions and he had to say, no, we are a family.
Speaker 1: That kind of a team is being forced to wait.
Speaker 5: For one hour. Now their preparation goes for a toss as well. So either you could have just said that, oh no, we are not going to play this match a day before or one day taken a stand. Now you took a stand. After that you're like, okay, we are not going to play this match. And then you're like, no, we are going to play this match. You create a whole lot of confusion. You go there, you play the match, You scrape through. It was a scrape. There is nothing glorious. Yeah, there was nothing glorious. Were convincing about that win. If that Shahinha free the knock was not there, Paisan would have struggled. It would have been a very very poor look on them. And after all this drama, After all these things have happened, you then go on a press conference, you basically put a put out a negative picture of anti Pipps, saying that he has.
Speaker 1: Always favored been towards Indian UH.
Speaker 5: We have always seen him being there for India matches and he's not the one who's selecting UH.
Speaker 1: And that strat is also overblown. Yeah, in as many Pakistan matches as in India matches.
Speaker 4: I like to ask both of you this thing that like, if you look at it, Harristof's comment that he was trying to just get to.
Speaker 3: That say, I say, my PCV president was foolish in exactly not doing all this drama. No Indian cricketer might also be able to do it. But what else will he say?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 4: Why is there that that only screams the board and the players they have no bridge in between, There have absolutely no bridge in between.
Speaker 3: Have been used as pawns exactly instead of giving them exposure, instead of you know, tell me something. It's a tragedy, like something that someone like Barbarasam, who's undeniably talented, has ended up like this twenty twenty three World Cup.
Speaker 1: What happened? He India.
Speaker 3: Like we discussed, Pakistan had a very poor campaign. Barber was asked to leave or he quit himself. Something o that Shahin was made the white ball captain at least in T twenty eyes. He lasts one series and then straight out of the blue, Barber is back. Barber is back, Barber is back. Where another horror Tree twenty World Cup. He's thrown out Now he's not part of the team itself. You know what will happen if Pakistan crashed out of the checkup without me in the final Salmon Aliaga will be sacked. Mike Kasen will be sent home. He'll be lucky if he sent home only Yeah, and then and then Barbara and Rizman will be back, Yeah, only to last another six months till they come to Sri Lanka and India for the T twenty World Cup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then lose that Barber will go. Yeah. I'm not using maybe could and all that here. It is true. I know, we all know.
Speaker 3: Chaos is the only constant there. It's like a cycle goes down. It's like a cycle and barber As is the one checkpoint that arrives genuinely feeling bad for their players as int Can you tell me that Shine is any less talented that some of the Indian bowlers maybe not as talented as butch see any world later.
Speaker 4: Don't be bullying. He's batting saving Pakistan at the more.
Speaker 1: Exactly would love to have.
Speaker 4: Without Shine. Imagine what would have happened during the India match and the U match. It would mean disasters even more.
Speaker 5: But the whole point, like you said, the whole thing is that instead of focusing on like maybe three years ago, we would have talked about barbarism, Mahmaduzwan and China Jafri in a very different light. Why because they pulled out a great win against India. Okay, But now when I was talking to Sabia today, I said that now when you look at it, that defeat feels more of a fluke because India had a bad day and Pakistan were lucky to capitalize on you.
Speaker 1: That is what it all boils down to. It was nothing else.
Speaker 5: You're talented players, the talent that you have, Like you look at a team like Afghanistan. Yeah they did not make it to the Super six, but the kind of talent that is being like that is being produced in that in that country, right now it's probably amongst the world's best. And the fact is that they are still they have a lot of chaos within themselves, a lot of politics and whatnot, which we don't usually go into. But the fact of the matter is their players get so much exposure. They play all around the globe and when it comes to the team, there is so much unity. There's stability also, stability that coach Jonathan trot I, I'm not sure whether he lost kill t twenty World Cup, but he might, yeah, because for all the good work that he has done. Mickey Arthur that day during the I think Barber during the Pakistani imaged tweet it, I can't understand why Barber is not part.
Speaker 1: Of this team.
Speaker 3: So a coach comes in Pakistan, triget, he has a plan and then by the time the next but by the time the sacking happens, that is scrapped. The same with the boat chiefs. Also, a boat chief will have a plan, He'll call for some state team twenty tournaments, appoint big names as coaches, but that that plan is crapped.
Speaker 1: It happens every two years.
Speaker 3: It's a cycle that you know, the these changes, that coaching change and all that it doesn't even happen in you know, Okay, okay, it happened six years ago.
Speaker 1: The next one is happening now. It all happens in one after the other.
Speaker 3: The coach goes, a captain goes, a boat change about president changes.
Speaker 5: It's cricket does not have an era they have. I was actually surprised that was standing there next to both these men because from what I know or some of the reports that I heard, his chairmanship of the Powistan Cricket Board ended with him being forcefully picked out from the office.
Speaker 1: And thrown up, and for him to go there be standing there. It is a little bit of a united against one common image. Yeah, maybe that is the case.
Speaker 5: Anty Pycraftft has gotten so much heat and I think for a long period of time, I think these referees, the match officials don't get a lot of light. We usually make fun of them while we're watching the match and whatnot. But Antipikroft has been the main headline of this asia. Antiparcraft can do some ads in India, I think, yeah, yeah, one credit ad with that is it.
Speaker 4: If is listening right now, it probably ends probably the hand that.
Speaker 5: Is the script is there right, So this is what at the end of the day, like when when you look at the Asia Cup. I mean we have talked about the quality, the quality we expect now I have been someone who has seen the likes of use of Yuhana not that old also, but yes, so these guys coming in and giving a fight to this Indian team and that it was a very even battle and you could always expect that tension. You know what will happen, what will happen in the next I think the last time we saw it was the twenty twenty two World Cup, right in that that game in Melbourne. Apart from that, there has been nothing there is you look at Paisan, it's actually just become it's become a circus. And unfortunately these players have been their faces have been painted with color to make make them look like clouds exactly, and that is sad.
Speaker 4: And at the end of the day, focusing so like if you look at it, hardly any one of the coaching staff for the player itself, are getting the chance to talk about their perform ways.
Speaker 1: They are so occupied the entire.
Speaker 4: Handshakes and are you or the controversy is that they are not even being able to talk about it, so that only screamski this is going, this graph is going nowhere for them, and whatever happens is this Sunday match, if they again end up talking about oh, this is not right, this is so against the sportsman spirit. And if they again going to lose by eight wickets or some ninety runs or something that we have again the cycle repeats itself.
Speaker 5: No, So for me, I would say something that it might be a little controversial, but the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Is that I am, or the national platform is I am someone who always believes that we should not mix politics with sports. Right away, I panned for saying this in a couple of yeah, that is fine, I'd rather.
Speaker 5: I'd rather take it off because for me, sports always stands different from all these things. Now, an attack or whatever has happened in this country over the last few months, Yes, I understand the situation.
Speaker 1: But as players, you could have made a stand as well.
Speaker 5: Yes, you could have just said that before the match or before whatever it is.
Speaker 1: You could have.
Speaker 5: Offered a piece with your with the other team. You could have just said that, you know, we understand what is going on, we understand the situation, but this is not something that we and dogs.
Speaker 1: We don't want it, and we.
Speaker 5: Stand united with these players and we hope that this match could probably become something that you know, kind of unites the countries and whatnot. Like whatever it is there, It might all be a pr run at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: But at least do that. You don't do it because the players are hand tied.
Speaker 4: So against the whole fact that such formal cricketers coming up and saying hands and like, what is this, Like, what do you expect is going to turn out from this?
Speaker 3: You're right, but expecting that from Pakistan cricketers. It's also a bit too much asn't like far pest itself as't like I'm not I'm not talking about the cricketers themselves, but you're saying like their hands are tied, asn't what will they do even if they feel even if they feel the same goes with Indian crickets, when do they speak up for you know these things? Tell me when when was the last time they spoke up for something that they should have? They don't so expecting yes, So sports and politics have always mixed. So that is the thing, especially in cricket at least exactly when the when the bilatal ties are so all time, you can't expect I said, like, I don't know, cricketers can't take a stand, but they can't take a stand, you know the reality, right, So it's it's a difficult thing to do. But again I said, like that's why I said, you're okay, you didn't shake hands, They didn't shake hands. Get done with it, focus on the match, come here to play. But by doing all this drama, you only put more pressure on your own players.
Speaker 1: I mean the Pakistan credit board.
Speaker 5: And like the Pakistan cricket boards, things like what happened with their jerseys as well. That was also sad, to the point where former cricket is saying that they're sweating to sweating through those things. That was the funny part where I went so always in my mind I thought I thought it was ces. Now I went back to the website to see, like what is the case. There's no mention of a kid sponsor. You're such a big boat. That means that obviously you're giving the tenders to people who are close to you. And that was absolutely you know, it was it was sad to see, like because like I said, Parsan was always a team that used to compete with the best.
Speaker 1: Now there's this relegated to tier two.
Speaker 5: And it is See I went to cover like you said, the Hockey Asia Cup, and the whole thing was that India is the top team there and the others are just fighting it out to be the second best.
Speaker 1: The second best.
Speaker 5: Now in this case, in this Asia Cup, I feel India should not be even.
Speaker 4: There, said like the rest of the teams, India is just too good for the rest of the team.
Speaker 1: You don't need an India to be there.
Speaker 5: Like, even if we send our second or even third string team, I think they'll just win the tournament hands down.
Speaker 3: So is that your prediction for the Super four. Let's let's dive a little bit of cricket before we wrap this up.
Speaker 1: India going all the way? Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 5: Maybe the only team I feel can trouble India is maybe Sri Lanka because they've got some they play a lot of cricket in ue with all these leagues and all that, and India, like when it comes to ICs events, that's the only thing and give.
Speaker 1: Credit where it's due, played good cricket to you know, make it three and three Group B.
Speaker 5: So that so that is there. But apart from that, I don't see any other team Pakistan. No, I will be surprised if Pakistan even get into contention for the final. I don't see them even defeating a team like Bangladesh for that matter.
Speaker 1: So you're saying Pakistan might end up without a winning the super Bow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you India like running through entirely, Like as he said, the Sri Lanka match would be the first match where India might be able to put on a show like further courtsake, but like other than that, I don't see anyone troubling given that game.
Speaker 5: If you look at the schedule, India play Pakistan, Bangladesh, by that time, they might be.
Speaker 1: Already through, already through.
Speaker 3: But like even if they play with there were some of the players who haven't got the chance, or they bring up someone from the bench to still there might be a possibility for a show out there.
Speaker 4: And in terms of Pakistan, tho, I don't even see. I think Pakistan would have like this will be the most competitive edge for Pakistan here because they'll be necked up completely.
Speaker 1: Will they be fired up?
Speaker 4: Is that what you say, no neckt fired up to they are fired up they are always fired up. They are more than the players. The board is more fired up.
Speaker 1: So quick prediction for Sunday's game, what do you think India? Is India clear.
Speaker 3: A dominant win or dominating than the nine wickets in ninety runs? Are we all shaking hands and agreeing that Pakistan or not making the final?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I would, I would. Let's see.
Speaker 5: Maybe I'll turn up Sunday a little late, maybe one hour break. I'll decide it at home and then I'll let you know.
Speaker 1: And then depending on the traffic, let's see what happens.
Speaker 4: But but don't forget to load your bags.
Speaker 1: It will be ready.
Speaker 3: I hope our producers don't delay the production of this. Yeah, but it's important we, you know, bring in our listeners and viewers like they might have contrasting views. We have shared our views. We have been panned also for that a few times. But it's always good to have, you know, open conversations. That's why we live in a country like India where you can speak out. So if you have your you know, thoughts on what has happened in the Asia Cup, whether India is shaking, India avoiding handshakes was right or not, whether Pakistan doing all that drama meant and meaning to nothing could have been avoided or not. You can send in your thoughts on eighty five, double eight nine, double six, double nine six. If you're listening to us on Spotify and Apple Podcast, please do rate us. And, like we always say, if you're watching us on YouTube, please leave your comment. Will be more than happy to learn your feedback. Thank you have a blockbuster weekend. We hope to join you soon with more updates on Asia Cup.
Speaker 1: Thank you,