Speaker 1: Teen thirty two dot Org.
Speaker 2: KCAA is your CNBC News affiliate where the station that gets down to business.
Speaker 3: The views and opinions expressed by individuals on the following program do not necessarily reflect those of the network, Guys Guy Radio and its platforms.
Speaker 4: It's Guys Guy Radio. Here's your host, Robert Manny.
Speaker 5: Welcome to Guys Guys Radio. This is your host, Robert Manny, welcoming you to the show where men and women can be at their best and everyone wins. Guys Guys Radio. We're here to inform you, inspire you, empower you, and get you to think, feel, and who knows, maybe even act by virtue of the journeys, stories, experiences and insights of the guests I bring you each and every week to the show, and once again this week is no exception. Today we're going to talk about acting in Hollywood and all kinds of stuff about the entertainment business with the Hollywood icon legendary actor Eric Roberts, star of movies such as Stared, Star eighty, The Pope of Greenwich Village, Runaway Train, King of the Gypsies. Let's see what else. The Dark Knight, a Batman movie. I think It's My Party, and so many others. Eric is just an amazing talent. He's been in over seven hundred and fifty projects in counting, and he's a really nice guy. And he's written a wonderful, very telling, very open hearted book called Runaway Train or the Story of My Life so Far. We're going to be joined by Eric's lovely wife, Eliza, who's his creative partner and manager, and also Mike Tove, who put together a project called Yard Sailing, a short film that's on the festival circuit now. Along with Eric and Eliza, so a lot to talk about right here on Guys Guys Radio. So strap in and get ready because we're going to have some fun today.
Speaker 4: It's Guys Guy Radio.
Speaker 5: Okay, Guys Guys Radio. It is the interview portion of our show, and today's guests are one of Hollywood's most fascinating and enduring couples. Eric Roberts has appeared in over seven hundred and fifty films and TV projects, are an Academy Award and Golden Globe nominations, and build a career unlike anyone else in entertainment. Alongside him as actor, casting director, producer, and creative partner Eliza Roberts, who's on waivering support and perspective have helped shape one of Hollywood's most remarkable love stories. And we're also going to meet filmmaker Michael Toe who, along with Tom Logan, created and developed Yard Sandling, which I just watched today for the second time, a short film featuring Michael, Eric, excuse me, and Eliza. And today we're going to discuss Eric's candidate and compelling autobiography that I just finished. It's called Runaway Train, book that explores fame, family, addiction, redemption, resilience, and the power of second chances and his ongoing legendary actoring career, along with Eliza's perspectives and Mike's journey to getting a filmmate in Hollywood in these crazy days. So welcome the three of you. Welcome, Mike, Welcome, Eric, Welcome, Eliza, the guys, Guys Radio. I'm so thrilled to have you here. I'm not used to having three juggling three at a time, but we'll make a go of it. So Eric, before we got on the air, Eric, you mentioned that Eliza had urged you to run to write Runaway Train. Why now and why is the title Runaway Train.
Speaker 6: Well, there is no why now, because it could be why anytime, Because for years the people said to me, when you're you gonna write your book? And I've said for years, I'm not writing a book. And then and then all my friends are coming to me, when a're you gonna write your book. I'm not writing the book, guys. And then and then publishers started calling me, when are you going to write a book. I'm not writing a boat. Guys. My wife comes to me and goes, when you're writing a book.
Speaker 5: Now you're writing the book.
Speaker 6: So he said to her, will you help me? And just what do you mean? I said, well, I'm going to embellish. I need help because I knew I would. So I asked an editor and I wrote a book. Well, it took me two years to write the book. I did not name the book. The publisher named the book because they said your life is a Runaway Train.
Speaker 5: And of course that's an Academy Award nominated film that you were in and you got a nod for Best Actor in that. I believe we're best supporting our best actor. You and John Voyd were together.
Speaker 6: He got a nod for Best Actor. I got a nod for Best Supporting Act.
Speaker 5: Here You Go and a great film. And I also watched that one with my son. He said, I want to watch that again. Oh, I love that fantastic. He's got really good taste. He's thirteen. So Eric's also been a star of Popa Gruner's Village, one of my all time favorite movies with Mickey Rourke and Eric Dark Knight, and Star eight and so many other projects. I believe obviously over seven hundred and fifty. So you started out in New York and I think we're around the same age, even though you look a lot better. But we were in the Upper West Side of New York City back around nineteen eighty or so, and it was very different. You weren't used to hang out at Cafe Central. I remember there was a place called Ruel's on Columbus Avenue, and I don't think people remember that the Upper west Side was nowhere back then. Tell us about your experience back there and how it shaped you for future performances.
Speaker 6: Well, when I got hip to the Upper west Side, it was nineteen seventy six. Okay, buy an entire roundstone for forty thousand dollars that had water and no electricity, and it was like that, and you could buy these whole buildings for no money that had nothing in them, and he had to redo them and everybody was doing that. He's haventy six, seven, eight, nine, eighty one and two, and by eighty two it started to get hip and by eight five, eighty seven, eighty eight it was the place to be. You know, I just love the other web side because it had it had the park, but it was a little bit away from the action. But then it became the action, so.
Speaker 5: I left. Now, you've experienced extraordinary highs and lows along your career. Looking back, what period of your life was the most difficulty for you to write about? Because I have to tell everybody out there, first of all, read this book. It's the best autobiography I ever read, because it's so from the heart. You just opened up and let it out there, and there's things like WHOA, I don't even Eliza, were you surprised at some of this stuff that was that came out during the writing process a little bit.
Speaker 7: And that's kind of fun because when you're married for a long time, you're like, wow, do we know all the stories new? And then to learn a couple of new things or just new details.
Speaker 6: Was great.
Speaker 7: So yes, I was surprised.
Speaker 6: Like a great a great face she made one day shows you what you robbed a drug store. That was kind of fun.
Speaker 5: Now you draw on in your acting career. I forget the name of the technique you mentioned in the book where you know you can make yourself cry. You think about something that happened earlier in life, and you had such a tough childhood because you were getting it from both sides, your mom and your dad. How how did you, first of all, how did you get through that? And secondly, how do you draw off of that those experiences to make you such a wonderful actor.
Speaker 6: Well, thank you so much for all those kind words. Well, I thought I invented method acting because I'm eight years old and I realized I could make myself cry by thinking of something that would make me cry. And so I thought I invented method acting. And and I and I and I told all the older kids about it, like, oh, guys, I've got a great plan, and I would tell everybody how to do it, and and and I and I thought it was mine up until I got older and I found out it was just sence memory, and it had been patented by many people many decades before my birth. But I didn't know that, and so I kind of looked at myself when I got hit to that, I kinda I kind of realized I was a born actor and and I just wallowed him it.
Speaker 5: Well, that sense memory. I remember while I was watching popa Grienwish Village the other day, there's a scene early on where Charlie and Paulie get fired from the restaurant and and Paulie's giving Charlie a hard time, and he's oats and he's got the two bottles of Remy there, or the bottle of Remy and his jacket. And at the end of the scene, you there's a shot of him and there's a little tear welled up in his eye. Do you remember that and what what if so, what did you draw on to to bring you that emotion? Because I read like, oh, he's got he's giving Charlie a hard time, but there's some shame there.
Speaker 6: Well, that's the point you have to You have to let the audience know that your character does know better or else on givable and if they're unforgivable, they're they're they're not umbraceable, and and Pauli was such an f up. You had to embracing or you had it discarding, and I was hell bent on making him very embraceable.
Speaker 5: Now, I remember reading that you had a hard time kind of pushing through your vision for Paulie, and I admire you because in a lot of roles, you you have a vision for how you want to play the character and you're very committed to it and you stick to your gun. So that's great. Now with Paulie, you got some pushback because you made the character more a little bit more a feminine, a little weaker than I don't say a feminine in a bad way, but in like a less masculine traditional It wasn't a macho guy, and you had the perm and everything. And then there was also you and Charlie would walk arm in arm And I'm an Italian from New York City and I know the village and I lived back there. But that was cool that the way that you did that. What was your thinking around that, because I know from reading your book that Mickey had some type of issues with that kind of behind the scenes, like he didn't know if he really was buying into the way you were attacking the role. Yet it worked perfectly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he. He was a big help by the way. He was not a hindrance at all. You know, make Make Make Mick was a team player for me in that role.
Speaker 7: It was the first director who wasn't right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the first the guy that brought into to direct the movie originally did not agree with my portrayal. He thought it should be much tougher as is written, and blah blah blah. And I tried to reason with him and said, no, but that's been done a lot, and I want to play something different that we all know about. And we all we all go, oh my god, yeah, I've like seen that well and uh, and he didn't want me to do it, so uh. They brought in a another director, Shot Rosenberg, who directed a great movie.
Speaker 5: The book was very good also. I don't know if you had a chance to read the novel, but it's a really good story, well written.
Speaker 6: The book is one of my favorite books. It is fair fantastic and it's exactly like our treenplay. We're very honest with the book. We're very we're very loyal to the book because the book kicks ass dude.
Speaker 5: Now, out of all your roles, what what one when you think back and immediately say this is that was my That's it, that's my number one. Do you have one or they like babies where you kind of love them all in different ways?
Speaker 6: Well, uh, I've got, I've got. I made many movies, so I have many favorites. King of the Gypsies, Aby, Runaway Train, It's My Party, Love is a Gun, Purgatory. Those are my six favorites?
Speaker 5: Really? Okay? Uh? How come you choose them? You have them right at the tip of your tongue there, what's what's the what's the thinking?
Speaker 6: Because they're they're o my brain's tip because I'm asking this question a lot, but also because they they all change my life. Those parts, all those parts change personally.
Speaker 5: Now as working actors, you and Eliza and Mike, it's so busy out there, there's so many roles. Is this is this? What do you think? What do you think of what's happened to Hollywood where it's not as centralized anymore? That there's so much, so many more, there's a need for stories. There's so many more films and TV shows being made. I mean I guess it's great for a guy like you, But how do you navigate that and is it a good thing? And how do you pick and choose because you've got so many roles and I'm sure you haven't lined up from like Eliza's got them lined up for you between now and the end of the year.
Speaker 6: I want to I want to interject something at the top of that question. You called us working actors. We called our school Working Actor.
Speaker 5: Okay, fantastic. Where is the school.
Speaker 6: It's right here, it's you're looking at it.
Speaker 7: Well, you teach. You teach every Saturday here in La Okay. And also we do a lot of coaching and stuff. So and we call it working actor because it's also a double entendre besides the actual work as an artist. We teach the business, the realities of the business, and you know just how to filter through the advice you get from your agents and from other friends, and what our view is of how to do this job.
Speaker 5: Okay, guys, guys radio, My special guests are Eric Robberts, Eliza Robbers and Mike Tobin. Forgive me, Mike, We're going to get to you. The reason I've been focused more on Eric and Eliza now, because they're going to have to jump at some point in the broadcast, and we'll know.
Speaker 8: That's great because I'm just enjoying it.
Speaker 5: So I love you, Mike.
Speaker 6: Thanks.
Speaker 8: I love you guys too.
Speaker 5: Now, Eliza, you have so many different roles, whether it's manager of Eric and he sounds like he could be a handful casting director, actor and mom and really kind of the son and the solar system of your family. Is there one of those roles that you enjoy more than the others are all equal?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean, obviously the mom and grandma thing is just huge to the two legged creatures and also the four legged creatures or various different kinds of animals Finns and whatever. But you know, centrally, I'm I'm an actress and and everything else kind of stems from there. So casting was sort of a natural outgrowth of that, even though it's not viewed that way or didn't used to be. And and then managing Eric was, as you say, it just it just seemed like we should bring this in house. There was there, it was nobody had the sensitivity. It's also just a lot you can't expect that of somebody, and there's so many layers to managing an artist because a lot of it has to do with, you know, how they're feeling. A lot of it is psychology, a lot of it is emotional, and you know, there's just it's it's a very holistic approach. So but I acting is my thing.
Speaker 5: Got it? You know, the entertainment industry it's often celebrates success but at hides struggles. Eric, what do you what do you hope that readers experience from your experienperiences from drug addictions and recovery. What do you want the readers to take away from this from your story?
Speaker 6: Well, many many things. But but since you brought up the the drug addiction to to let people know there are second chances that you can start over, and you can start over even better than you were before because you're older, you know more, you have more, you've experienced more, you understand yourself and uh, and you stop lying to yourself at about at about thirty five thirty eight, you finally get tried to line to yourself and you stop. You just stop. When they get to go what was they doing? And and you and you realize that you were but you didn't know it when you were in it but once you're above it and once you see it, it's just an asset to understand. And then if you have somebody, then then then you can share it and you from it and you get oh yeah, and you cannot repeat yourself because that's that's that's the pitfall. We repeat ourselves because we think we can get away with it. Now you can't. You can't that.
Speaker 5: Now. I'm going to assume that a lot of this, a lot of your personal struggles came from your family struggles, and both of you really had tough family situations at times. How did you manage to get through that? And how do you manage to put that into your work in a constructive way? Because to me, you are nobody can be you Eric or Eliza based on your experiences and a lot of it I think comes out your personal experience come out through your work. That by design.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna let you answer that, but uh, I just have to say that that that that question. Everybody has their story. Everybody has an issue to deal with or many, and it's how you how you do it that that makes your winner or not. And my wife is my whole understanding of myself help. I saw myself through her for many years after. I can see myself from myself and she was very kind to me, and I apparently needed that because it altered me and it was it was fun to do.
Speaker 5: Do you want to add anything, Eliza to that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I you know, that's that's really true. Kindness is like huge. Alice Miller wrote a book, well, many books, but The Untouched Keys, and she explores whether trauma is necessary in order to be creative and why some people who've, you know, had some kind of abuse in their childhood become serial killers and some people are fine. No one's fine. But she explores that, and I really think it's a matter of really starkly questioning what you're going for. Some people, for instance, become parents because they want to boss someone around. It doesn't come afterwards. It's not like your parent. And then you find yourself bossing these kids around. That's kind of your drive. So I think we all have to be really honest with ourselves about our drives. And in that sense, you know, and that drive comes a lot from how you process the stuff that happened in early childhood and what you're still trying to do even though it's you know, it's not fixable. You can't you can't turn the clock back. You can't choose a different family when you have to figure out what path that set you on, and that will really affect how you play your characters, what characters you play, whether you screw up your whole career, in your life and your relationships. I mean, it's just a matter of really taking an honest look, not at the people who influenced you yourself.
Speaker 5: Now, Eric, you passed on a couple of big roles earlier in career. In your career, like Jesus, you're going to work with Scorsese, and your manager talked to you out of that, and I think there was a few others mentioned in the book, and then you had an opportunity, I think, to work with Tarantino. It didn't work out exactly the way you want it, but obviously he's interested in you. Who are the folks that you want to work with? Now, I mean, you've done it all, you must have some like Okay, I still haven't gotten that one. I still haven't worked with this person.
Speaker 6: Well, I hate I hate I hate naming people because if you name one, you know you leave out three, right, But Tarantino and I have a date that's that's yet to happen, and we need to make it happen.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 7: I like to see him work with Nancy Myers. See I mean that's like whole polar opposite end. But I mean, listen, there's some fabulous directors coming up, you know, just coming up through the ranks. There's there are It's true, there are so many. There's so many times we go to the movies that we see something on TV and I go nuts, and he's like, I want to work with them? Who are go that guy, that guy, that girl.
Speaker 6: I got over with them. We got to do it.
Speaker 7: Whoever's doing Paradise for instead of Reach and we are friently with Sterling K. Brown. I mean, there's just it's endless. There's a lot out there.
Speaker 5: Yew As a Hollywood couple, obviously, Eric, you've been like a chick magnet for forever, and I think from what I read that you kind of took advantage of that for quite some time. And now you're with your rock for many, many years. How do you make it work? Because Holly, you know, people see you when they think you're the role and they just they just want to you know, bag a star type of thing. How do you manage all of that?
Speaker 6: I gotta be honest with you. The undoing of it all is the hard part. Because I had like I had, like I had like a dozen seward this is in a dozen cities, and a lot of good stuff lined up for my for my fun and travels and uh, and it had to stop like overnight. And that was hard because I had a lot of phone calls to make, and it was it was difficult. So the first six months of our marriage were dicey, and she kept saying, where have you been? Oh? No, But then after everybody was informed, it's been great. Ever since it has been, it's been really something. And I did not expect it. I did not think it was ever going to happen, but it did.
Speaker 5: That's fantastic and really inspirational story. I think it was Roger Staubach said. He was asked, you know, well, how come you don't have all these different women, your famous Dallas cowboy quarterback, And he said, you can go deeper with one woman than you can spreading yourself around. And I've always remember that. And when I met my wife in New York, she said, why are you still on these online services and stuff. Why don't we just go out and see if it works and if it doesn't work, then you go out with who you want. But if it works, well, we've been married sixteen years and we have a beautiful son, so it can work. So your story is an inspiration and thank you.
Speaker 6: Thank you man. Yeah, I'm so in love with her, even more now than I was then because I know what I have now. It's fantastic.
Speaker 7: But you've done a lot of interviews about the book. You're the one who brought that up, and I'm so glad you because that was something that we decided to talk about and it's universal, God knows, so so I'm just glad you did because that's that's a fascinating subject and could go on and on forever and ever and ever. That's sorry. Our travel agent. She she's great.
Speaker 5: So what was the toughest area to write about Eric in the book?
Speaker 6: Well, the hardest part is the drug addiction because you're so you're so you're so subjective when you're in it, and you're also intoxicated, so you're not honest on two levels. So you have to undo the dishonesty in order to write about it. That was the hard part. And because you have to be very specific, can very pedantic as it were. You have to really spell it out. You can't talk about it generally. And so I did.
Speaker 5: And and was it very cathartic for you, Eric to write the book?
Speaker 6: Well, it was, but it was also and also even not just thinking about it, I could cry because such are wasting my time and my life. And then and then to write about it kind of confirms that. And so you get very depressed and you get very unhappy, but not as excuse but as a matter of fact. But I came out of it with this yes, and it's right now, this counts right, Yeah, And I'm so proud of her and I like her so much, and uh, there's so much fun to have her. And she's funny. We had the best, funniest relationship and that's that's half the package. Dude.
Speaker 5: Awesome. So my special guests on Guys Guys Radio, Eric Roberts, Eliza Roberts, Mike Toe. Let's get to Mike's project. I know Mike worked with Tom Logan, and I think you guys know Tom, is that how did this whole thing yard sale or get.
Speaker 7: Together heay one set before we start, Eric does have to go to do his photo session, and just so, do you want to give like a nutshell while he's still here? Michael, Yeah, yeah, I do.
Speaker 8: But I want to take a half step back and make an observation because one of the things, and I'm just going to say this, one of the greatest things about you guys, is just what an incredible couple.
Speaker 5: You guys really are.
Speaker 8: It's just remarkable to me. And tomorrow is my wife Mira's in my thirty fourth anniversary, and I know that you guys are only less than two months off for that, so you're coming up on thirty four, right, yep. And awesome, awesome, awesome. But you guys are just amazing and wonderful and I tell everybody about you constantly because you really are. Anyway, so Yard Sailing, well, well, it was a film I kinda devised years and years and years ago and just never had the opportunity to be able to put it together, because it's a whole lot harder to do something like that than what people who've never been in the industry understand. I mean, oh my goodness, gracious, talk about an eye opener and so it fundamentally took the right people, and that started with Tom Logan. And you guys have known Tom for Tom says forty years. So but Tom and I about just over two years ago, we were just talking about some other stuff. I've known Tom for oh my god, ten years or more now, and I literally go out, I said, hey, are you at all interested in doing a short? And he basically said, let's see what you got. And so I sent him the script and he goes, yeah, this is good, and he says it needs work. But so we spent work and six weeks tweaking the script. And then the next thing, I know where you have a crew in San Diego, an amazing crew, and then we start casting and Tom literally.
Speaker 9: Calls me up because Eliza, you sent in the tape. And Eric was in the background and Tom called me and he says, you will never believe who just sent a tape in And he sent it to me and I was going, oh my god, is this for real? And I said I want him. I did, and immediately and we you know, and I mean it.
Speaker 8: Took a little while to go through all of that. One of the concerns that Tom had was that he didn't want it to look like we were doing any inside favors and and and so. But I but Eliza, you were amazing from the get go. And Eric, I always thought you would be fabulous as Senator Deppon from.
Speaker 5: The very start.
Speaker 8: I just saw it. I don't know how, I don't know how to describe it. And so what happened was is that there was a Tom had a medical situation when we were first supposed to shoot, and we had to delay it. And because of that.
Speaker 5: That's how we got the both of you.
Speaker 8: And literally, I mean as recently as yesterday, Tom was saying how great it was that he had to go through that medical thing, because it's how we got you guys.
Speaker 6: I mean, well, and is this is a great example of like of like people hearing this story annoying. I make movies because it's so freaking fun. Yes, you meet such cool a people and I have such fun every day of my life.
Speaker 7: Okay, on that note, I have to take him downstairs, are you guys?
Speaker 5: Okay guys? Yeah, Eric, Oh my god, Eric, thank you so much.
Speaker 8: I have a great time.
Speaker 5: Eric. Yes, okay, Okay, Eliza, you coming back or are you going coming back? Okay, So Eliza's coming back on Guys Guys Radio. We've got Mike Topes. So tell us, Mike, before you got to your kind of quote unquote lucky break that you work so hard for. What was your path getting into the kind of system?
Speaker 8: Oh? My god, So I way back, and I'm talking about forty years ago. I knew I was a storyteller and I wanted to do that even even further back than that. But I just made the decision or just not even that, that I wanted to make movies because I'm a visual oriented person. I love film, and so I didn't have a clue. So what happened was is I answered a cattle call for a feature film for The Handmaid's Tale, and I got in and from the moment I showed up on set the first time, and that was literally when I went to the the location office for for Just Wardrobe, I got bit by the bug so bad and it was it was transformative.
Speaker 5: Did you have your say? How did you deal with the whole you know, getting on?
Speaker 8: Oh I didn't. I I did a lot of films, always as a either non union or or union, as a as an extra or a featured extra, hoping to get a SAG card and never did. And then finally when I am now doing yard Sailing and I'm in it, but I'm also the writer and I'm the producer, I sign my own TAFT Hartley, so I'm SAG eligible. I'm not joining because A I'm not really trying to be an actor anymore. Secondly, I'm in North Carolina, which is right to work. So if and when SAG makes me join, I guess I will. But I'm not rushing to join the Screen Actors Guild or for that matter, the Producer's Guild or the Writer's Guild. I you know, I'm at a point in life where the benefits of it are just minimal or not there, and why give up? Well, I give up a portion of my earnings and so forth.
Speaker 6: So but yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, do you have a manager? Does Eliza work? Do you work with Eliza or no? Okay, no, I don't have a manager. I have a pr rap Glori, and that came from Eliza. But other than that, no, I don't have an agent. I you know, I'm writing my own stuff. I've got multiple multiple scripts I'm working on. Well, I was working on three projects and we kind of pushed one to the back burner for a little while.
Speaker 8: But I've got well four projects anyway, three So I've got I've got a couple of projects that I'm doing right now and it's because I make friends in the industry and then we just do stuff. And then I'm working on a feature that Tom will direct and and hopefully we'll have Eliza maybe more in it, and well we need but so you know, and I mean after that, I've got I don't know half four or five cent scripts.
Speaker 5: Let me ask you this, Mike, the different hats you wear, which is the most challenging, and production is very obviously being a producer line producer is really tough. And writing, of course, you know it's all about the writing. But for you, what's been the biggest challenge and where have you? What are some of the lessons you've learned?
Speaker 8: Well, man, the hardest part is just getting the financing. I mean, that's the tough part. But I'm not the one that's doing that. I have a production partner who is pretty good at that, and so I just leave that to her to do it. But everything else it isn't hard. I know, it's supposed to be but writing to me is easy literally and and and then the producing is it's just because I'm pressing forward with the vision and mentally I'm always organizing this stuff.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 8: It's just the way I think, in the way I am, so to me, it's kind of logical.
Speaker 5: Okay. My special guest, one of my special guests today, Mike Toe. We're talking about Yard selling his short film, award winning short film which features our other guests, Eric Roberts, who had the lead to go to a photo shoot and his wife Eliza, who's going to be back in momentarily hopefully. So when the different parts of the filmmaking process, how for those out there who are interested in following your path, Mike, what would be your advice? It is a financial business and you have a production partner. How did you get your production partner and to review the script and say I can get behind this, I'm going to go pitch it.
Speaker 8: No, no, because these are people that I've known for a long time, and you know, it's funny. Eric talked about how it's fun and to me, it really starts off with making friends with people in the industry and then just collaborating. Colatt and I have been working on multiple projects for a long time, and and Eric in Eliza. Though this was the first project I've worked on with them, I have complete confidence and certainty that I'm going to be working with them again. And Tom and I are just really good friends and we just you know, it's there's no there's no magic, Elick, sir, to do this. It's about developing connections. And people ask me how do I break in? And it's like, well you have to start, hey, Eliza, Eliza.
Speaker 10: And.
Speaker 8: I'm talking about just how do you break into the industry? And in my case, I'm saying, you just have to develop connections. And then I was about to say that you have to become an absolute student of the industry. You have to train, you have to learn, you have to devote yourself to it because it doesn't come easy and it doesn't come quick and if you're if you don't take it seriously, it won't take you seriously.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're a master of that.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 7: It's changed so much as you were saying Robert before, and these days you really can. I mean, you create an actor's access profile, you start submitting yourself. You make sure that you consider it to be a job, and you don't slack off on updating your pictures and all your stuff. And it's marketing. It's like you've got to be as good at that. And it's intuitive, so you know you're looking for that tipping point, but you can't force it, but just start creating content. I mean, now we can do that. We're not sort of reliant as we used to be. But what Mike is saying is really true. To get an education so that finally the language sounds like your native language and you don't feel like an outsider anymore.
Speaker 8: The other thing is is that people who are outside trying to shortcut their way in and want a fanboy. It's recognized very fast by people in the industry, and at least in my feeling is it's a turnoff. I don't want to be around people who think that just because they're entitled for some bizarre reason, that they should just jump in and and they haven't paid their dues and they haven't they don't know what they're doing, and they think it's so easy, and they think that anybody can do it because the greats make it look easy.
Speaker 5: Interesting. So it seems like when you read about projects nowadays, it's like you have to because it's a financial business. They want to have a star connected. And it seems like with Eric and Eliza, they're like, you seem like regular people and I say, I put that in quotes, but like real people that and Eric's got to be in demand because of that. Do you find that people sometimes take advantage that's he makes himself available to good material, whereas some other people make it really like hard to play, they play really hard to get.
Speaker 7: Yeah, definitely, but it's just definitely that affects it. There's no question but that, you know, we'll do a show and you'll find that somebody with kind of a lesser name and maybe a lesser contribution is getting a lot more money whatever.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: But we can't force ourselves to be different from how are It would be very uncomfortable and and so therefore we kind of have the same headspace as the first day that either of us ever heard the words you got the part that that's never you know, we've preserved that it's it never really disappeared, and I think for some people it doesn't disappear, but an affectation takes place where they feel that they can't show that they're still excited about it. And and yeah, people take advantage sometimes or they'll take advantage of who who Eric's related to and try to get to them through us and stuff like that. But it's not a big issue. It's not it's it's it's always very manageable and very dealable. We're really grateful to be working period. I mean, we really appreciate it. We continue to take care of our family. You know, our kids are grown and everything, but but there now they have kids. I mean there's always you know, people need stuff and that's why we're doing this, and and so we're just really glad to be working.
Speaker 5: Now. You have I'm not sure you have a son. I don't know if it's a son or it's stepson who's in the music business. Who's done very well with.
Speaker 7: Steps and they say, bonus, he's in the music business. You know, those those businesses are cousins to each other. There are very similar stuff going on in both businesses. He's the music business. He's doing great. But it's listen, it's really it's really hard. Even people who have made it go through a lot of stuff, a lot of disappointment. And then my daughter, she's a chef and she caters movies and she's a creator. She does those incredible cakes that look like other things and stuff. And she and her wife live really close to us, thank goodness, and they have two little girls and her wife's a labor and delivery nurse. My family refers to her as the person in the family who has the real job, and we kind of envier. I mean, you know, there's retirement and stuff. I mean, that's those jobs in the world. Are they offer a lot that we can't offer.
Speaker 5: People don't realize that. I remember in Eric's buck he mentions the fact that, you know, those people think that actors are just kind of printing money, and it's not necessarily the case. Being a working actor and working actors it's it's uh, it's challenging, and you have to be on it all the time. And one of the things I admire about what you're some of the decisions you've made, and how you've driven the process aize it is that Eric, you know, he was open to music videos and he's a huge music video icon because of that. And it's just I guess if you're trying to break into the business, you have to be open to a lot of different ideas. You have to be selective, of course, but you have to have an open mind. Is that Is that true?
Speaker 7: Absolutely? Because I mean it's it's all a gamble. So otherwise, what you're trying to do is protect predict algorithms, trends, you know, outcomes. That's that's exhausting and not fun to try to predict all that. So instead you find one element that compels you to say yes, and then you just have a good time and let go. I mean, you're not there for the result. You support the project like we're doing right now, you know, with your because we love it, believe in it, we love all the people. But yeah, you don't. It's in the old days. I think they used to try to do that. It didn't work. It's never worked it, so yeah, just jump in.
Speaker 5: Okay, one last question for both of you. What's your best piece of advice to our audience out there burgaining filmmakers.
Speaker 12: Oh my god, My best piece of advice is is to become a student of the industry and never ever ever give up, never quit, and never listen to the people who tell you what makes you think, what makes you think you can blah blah.
Speaker 7: Blah okay, Eliza, I would say it's do it. Start doing it right now, put in that Malcolm Gladwell, practice and and and absolutely just kind of eye on the ball and keep going in every way that you possibly can. And you know, so that would that would be a definitely also study, you know, study the trends and the artists and what's going on. There's room for new filmmakers. Every year there are new people who come along. And in terms of what you said about it, it feels like you have to attach a name first to get your financing. Look at anor I mean, you know, look what happened there probably who god knows how many people turn that movie down, and there are a lot that happens a lot, and then we make stars. I think the whole star thing first needs to end because it's ridiculous and and it's never been necessary. But I think just go for it. That would be my main advice.
Speaker 5: Fantastic, Mike Toe, good luck. Yard sailing is the move. Look for it everybody where can do Where can people see it out there? Mike?
Speaker 8: Actually it's on my website.
Speaker 5: So what's your website?
Speaker 8: Yeah, Emeraldoakproductions dot.
Speaker 5: Com fantastic and Eliza anything new we need to know about where everybody to look for. I know Eric, so every time I go online, I see he's appearing someplace else.
Speaker 12: I know.
Speaker 7: There's so much. There is actually so much cool stuff. I would say for everybody to look at Hippo, which is Dan McBrien and company production. And definitely yard Sailing because we really do love yard sailing. It was really fun and we really love it. And then just I kind of keep up with our IMDb pages because there's so much. There is so much new stuff happening.
Speaker 5: There really is, so Thank you, Eric Roberts, Eliza Roberts, Mike Toe hang on for a second, but I'm going to close out our interview now. Thank you.
Speaker 4: It's Guys Guy Radio.
Speaker 5: Okay, what a fascinating conversation with Eric Roberts. I mean, wow, you know, Runaway Train is more than a Hollywood memoir. It's a testament to perseverance, accountability, love, and the possibility of transformation. I think the listeners and viewers will you come away if you read this book inspired by Eric's journey and his willingness to tell it all with such authenticity. It's really a wonderful autobiography, and I urge everybody to pick up a copy because he doesn't hold any puncheons. It's very true and very telling and very inspirational. And you know, Eric and Eliza are really They're regular people and really nice people and super talented, and they give a lot back to the industry, and they have some positive things to say about Hollywood. They're working actors, they do their work, they show up, they do their work. They're professionals, and they're really nice people. So it is possible we read all this stuff about Hollywood and all questionable stuff what's going on there, But there are good people in the business, and Eric and Eliza, as far as I can tell, are top quality people, really nice to work with, and great, super creative talents. You've seen Eliza in uh an Animal House. She was one of the gals the co Eds who gets left at the roadhouse, and that one of those fable scenes in Animal House. And Eric's been in such great movies. My personal favorite is popa Greenwich Village, and I love the artistic choices that he makes, and I love the fact that when Eric gets into a role, he really commits himself. So I hope you enjoyed the show and then our conversation with Eric because wonderful actor, really good guy, and hopefully we'll get him on here again at some point. Thank you for listening to Guys Guys Radio. We'll be back next week with a brand new episode. And until then, like I always say, guys, guys finish First.
Speaker 1: NBC News on CACAA Loma, sponsored by Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two, protecting the Future of Working Families Teamsters nineteen thirty two, dot Org.
Speaker 5: NBC News Radio.
Speaker 13: I'm Scott Carr. President Trump says he signed the Memo of Understanding negotiated with Iran, confirming that to reporters while leaving a dinner at the Versailles Palace in France with President Macron to wrap up the g seventh Summit. The White House says the memos now in effect, that it includes the reopening of the Strait of Horror moves and easing of financial restrictions against Iran, and expectations moving forward regarding discussions on the country's nuclear program. Millions across the Midwest are in the path of a severe weather system. Major cities across the region, including Chicago, Kansas, City and Saint Louis could all be hit for Castors say damaging winds and large hail are expected to be the main threats, but they say long track tornadoes are possible. This after many of the same areas have been hit recently by severe weather. Rex Huerman, the Manhattan architect who led a double life as the Gilgo beat serial killer, came face to face today with families of his victims before being sentenced to multiple life terms. As Sarah Lee Kessler reports, Humeerorman was given a chance to address the court, and he did, though briefly.
Speaker 14: It took Rex Hewerman just four seconds through on.
Speaker 6: Awards like you say Irish fossible whole were set in this Rosta.
Speaker 10: The sixty two year old Manhattan architect in Massapequa Park resident, was sentenced to life in prison, no parole possible. Heuerman had admitted murdering eight women on Long Island overse seventeen year period. Judge Timothy Mazzy asked Huerman if he was sorry, and he said yes. Maszi responded with.
Speaker 15: A discussing and despicable small man, and you're a coward.
Speaker 14: To him at you, I'm Sarah Lee Kessler.
Speaker 13: World Cup actions well underway today with games in the US, Mexico, and Canada. In the first match of the day, Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal settled with a one to one draw against the Democratic Republic of the Congo in Houston. Later, England took down Croatia four to two in Arlington, Texas. Scott Carr, NBC News Radio.
Speaker 16: Located in the heart of San Bernardino, California, the Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two Training Center is designed to train workers for high demand, good paying jobs and various industries throughout the Inland Empire. If you want a pathway to a high paying job and the respect that comes with a union contract, visit nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org to enroll today. That's nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org.
Speaker 15: There's never been a better time for men to be whoever they want to be, Yet it's never been less clear who men really are. Guys Guy Radio, starring author Robert Manny, is on Caseyaa every Wednesday at eightp Whether it's relationships, sex, wellness, or spirituality, join Robert as he interviews the experts about how men and women can be at their best. Guys Guy Radio, Better Men, Better World.
Speaker 17: For casey AA ten fifty AM NBC News Radio and Express one of six point five FM. Artemis two astronaut Victor Glover returned home to Ontario High School, his alma mater. Glover was a resident of Pomona and halfway through his freshman year he attended Ontario High School, where he played sports and graduated in nineteen ninety four. He would go on to attend cal Poly San Luis Obispol on a wrestling scholarship, and then serve in the Navy as a test pilot and fly fighter jets off an aircraft carrier during the war in Iraq. He would ultimately go on to travel into space to the Moon and travel further into space than any other human has as the second in command and pilot of NASA's Artemis two mission. After speaking to the crowd about his journey with his wife at his side, he was surprised to learn that the math and science building at the high school will be named in his honor. The nonprofit California Restaurant Foundation has launched its sixth Restaurant Care Resilience Fund, offering grants for eligible independent restaurants and commercial caterers across the state. Those who qualify can apply for five thousand dollars grants. The grants will help owners pay for kitchen equipment upgrades, technology improvements, employee training, retention, and recovery from hardships. The program was born during the pandemic in twenty twenty one and is provided eleven million dollars in funding to two thousand, eighty seven independent restaurant operators and caterers in fifty California counties. Eligible restaurants, owners and caterers must be customers of PG and E or SoCal Gas, operate in California and meet program requirements. Applications will be accepted up to June thirtieth. To find out more information, go to restaurants care dot org slash resilience for NBC News Radio KCAA ten fifty AM and Express one of six point five FM. I'm Lillian Vasquez and you're.
Speaker 4: Up to date.
Speaker 2: Ten fifty AM. Don't forget that number. And for you young people who got here by accidentally fat fingering your FM band, select there. We're an AM radio station, and AM refers to more than just the time of day.
Speaker 18: It's a bird, it's a plan no, it's super raw. Okay, a gimmicky opening for a commercial about super Roth universal life insurance, but I'm sure it got your attention.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 18: What is a super Rath, you ask. It's a permanent indexed universal life insurance that's totally liquid and easily accessible once it matures. Can be used to supplement retirement savings or a death benefit or both. Has no income or contribution limit, has no five year rule like roth iras, has no ten percent penalty for accessing the funds before age fifty nine and a half.
Speaker 4: Oh, and the.
Speaker 18: Average historical returns are five to seven percent annually tax freight. Super Roths also lock in gains, which means you don't lose your money when the market is down. It sounds incredible, right, sounds super super Rocks are the way of the future, specifically your future. To see if you qualify for a super Roth, go online to the super Roth dot Com.
Speaker 2: E digits Lock them in for more information, recreation and guaranteed fun KCAA ten fifty am.
Speaker 11: This segment sponsored by our friends at the All News Sammy's Restaurant. Sammy's is now open in Kalamesa at Exit eighty eight off the ten Freeway next to the Jack in the Box in the former Bob's Big Boy Restaurant. Not to name drop, but Sammy's in the former Bob's is a lot like Norms. It has a densive menu. With multiple restaurants in Royalto in places like Upland and Ranchukumonga. Samm's is a great place to dine. Their menu is very similar with their American trio of delicious steak, shrimp and chicken and an expansive menu. You won't go hungry and you won't go broke at Sammy's. You can come meet Sammy and his family. Sammy was a chief cook for Norms for years and it shows in his menu. Sammy's is a great place to meet the family, friends, or have a community meeting. You can ask about their private meeting room available for parties of fifteen or more on a first come, first serve basis. Sammy's is now open from six am to nine pm every day. At five point forty Sandal would drive off of XIT eighty eight at the ten Freeway in Kalamesa. Look for the Big Boy statue. It's still there. We thank Sammy for returning to this station as a loyal sponsor. You can find more info about Sammy's at Sammy'scafe dot Net. At Sammy'scafe dot Net well, you can also find discount coupons to save money. And by the way, Sammy's has free WiFi too. Sammy's and Kalamesa Raalto but one of their other locations are ready to serve you. Sam is now open in Kala Mesa.
Speaker 16: The Tahbot Club is the only FDA registered manufacturer of original pure powdy rco to ebot in the United States. The t is great for healthy people because it helps regenerate new cells and it can truly be miraculous for someone finding a potentially life threatening disease due to an infection, diabetes, or cancer. Just fifty nine to ninety five with free shipping. Call us at eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight. That's eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight, or visit to Hebot Club dot com. Tahibo is spelled ta h ee b like boy oh, then the word t and then the word club, So the complete website is Tahbot Club dot com or call us at eight one eight sixty one zero eight zero eight eight. That's eight one eight sixty one zero eight zero eight eight.
Speaker 1: NBC News on CACAA Lomelanda sponsored by Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two, Protecting the Future of Working Families Teamsters nineteen thirty two, dot.
Speaker 13: Org, NBC News Radio. I'm Scott Carr. President Trump says he signed the Memo of Understanding negotiated with Iran, confirming that to reporters while leaving a dinner at the Versailles Palace in France with President Macron to wrap up the G seventh Summit. The White House says the memos now in effect that it includes the reopening of the Strait of horror moves and easing of financial restrictions against Iran, and expectations moving forward regarding discussions on the country's nuclear program. Millions across the Midwest are in the path of a severe weather system. Major cities across the region, including Chicago, Kansas City, and Saint.
Speaker 5: Louis, could all be hit.
Speaker 13: Forecasts say damaging winds and large hail are expected to be the main threats, but they say long track tornadoes are possible. This after many of the same areas have been hit recently by severe weather rex Huerman, the Manhattan architect who led a double life as the Gilgo beat serial killer, came face to face today with families of his victims before being sentenced to multiple life terms. As Sarah Lee Kessler reports, Huerman was given a chance to address the court, and he did, though briefly.
Speaker 14: It took Rex Hewerman just four seconds through on the.
Speaker 6: Awards like you say, Irish fossible whole were set in this roasta.
Speaker 10: The sixty two year old Manhattan architect in massive People Park resident was sentenced to life in prison, no parole possible. Heuerman had admitted murdering eight women on Long Island over verse seventeen year period. Judge Timothy Mazsey asked Huerman if he was sorry, and he said yes. Maszi responded with.
Speaker 2: A discussing and despicable small man and you're a coward.
Speaker 14: Get him out of you, Earlie Kessler.
Speaker 13: World Cup actions well underway today with games in the US, Mexico, and Canada. In the first match of the day, Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal settled with a one to one draw against the Democratic Republic of the Congo in Houston. Later, England took down Croatia four to two in Arlington, Texas, Scott Carr NBC News Radio.
Speaker 16: Located in the heart of San Bernardino, California, the Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two Training Center is designed to train workers for high demand, good paying jobs and various industries throughout the Inland Empire. If you want a pathway to a high paying job and the respect that comes with a union contract, visit nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org to enroll today. That's nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org.
Speaker 2: Ten fifty AM. Don't forget that number. And for you young people who got here by accidentally fat fingering your FM band selector, We're an AM radio station and AM refers to more than just the time of day. For several years, KCAA has been marketing the Youngevity brand of nutritional and personal care products. Our experience with Youngevity has been one hundred percent positive, so we are pleased to recommend them to you. Regarding nutritional supplements, we recommend pollen Burst in the berry flavor and tangy Tangerine two point zero in the tablet form. For regularity issues, we recommend three day cleanse, and for personal care, we recommend morning hydration cream. You can shop online for Youngevity at www dot KCAAA team dot com, or you can order by phone by calling eight hundred ninety eight two three one ninety seven and tell customer support that you are part of the KCAA Team. Youngevity is an American company based in San Diego. Call Youngevity at eight hundred ninety two three one seven and ask about monthly autoship that allows you to buy Youngevity products at wholesale prices that number again eight hundred nine to eighty two three one nine seven.
Speaker 15: There's never been a better time for men to be whoever they want to be. Yet it's never been less clear who men really are. Guys Guy Radio, starring author Robert Manny, is on CASEYAA every Wednesday at eight pm. Whether it's relationships, sex, wellness, or spirituality, join Robert as he interviews the experts about how men and women can be at their best. Guys Guy Radio, Better Men, Better WORLDPS.
Speaker 2: Hey you yeah, you do? You know where you are? Well, you've done it. Now you're listening to casey AA Lom Linda, your CNBC news station, So expect the unexpected. This is casey AA