Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbary Lane. Welcome to the season four finale of Full Circle the Podcast. Here's a look back at every episode from the past twelve months, brought to you by Decanta, jug wine and chairis that don't Creak?
Speaker 2: I am your host, Charles Tyson Junior.
Speaker 1: And I'm your host Martha Madrigal. Welcome to the Full Circle Table. Season four is coming to a close.
Speaker 2: Who to thunk it besides me and you?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I you know, I guess I assumed there would be multiple seasons back in the beginning. Yeah, I just realized we are down to recording about a third of the time, so we've got to do something, try to do something about that. But because we listened back to the intros to each end of season and season one, I think we had about sixty four yeah shows, I've got about what twenty six this year, So we're we need to pick up the pace a.
Speaker 2: Little bit because your ass was scarce.
Speaker 1: That is really what it comes down to, both of us working full time and you know, multiple commitments. Yeah, and mental health as well. You know, sometimes we've got to be fortified prepared to delve into the news these days.
Speaker 2: I mean fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've got a toddler running rampant, you know.
Speaker 2: A drunken toddler. I believe you referred to.
Speaker 1: Him, drunken toddler. Yeah, he the insanity of the entire Republican Party. They need to snatch him while we have a country. I don't know what they're waiting for, but I'm sure they have a plan, right, it just doesn't include any of us, and that's a problem.
Speaker 2: At this point. They should just trip him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I doubt it would take much. I'm saying he's shuffling as it is.
Speaker 2: He's bunch the rug up a little bit, just.
Speaker 1: A little Yeah. At any rate, it has been quite a year. We started this year saying we were going to try to focus more on queer excellence and queer joy a little bit less on the nonsense. I think we've tried to do that.
Speaker 2: We did speak to a lot of fabulous queer folks. Yes, we have.
Speaker 1: The nonsense is coming at such a rapid pace that it's hard to ignore exactly. Yeah, so it's still a part of the show. But we also said at the beginning of this season, you know, we're going to find out what it's like to put a fascist, corrupt, convicted criminal back into office. And it's been every bit as bad, and I would argue worse even than we predicted.
Speaker 2: Not sure how it's worse, but it is. Well.
Speaker 1: Bombing Iran is worse than you know. I had hoped that we wouldn't go quite that far, but we will apparently do almost anything to avoid the Epstein files.
Speaker 3: Chaw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy, huh chaw, and still blaming the trannies full on, especially in Kansas at the moment. Crazy stuff, crazy stuff. It's been a crazy year. This is not normal, this is not sane, this is not okay. But we're still here, yep.
Speaker 2: And we'll be delving more into those topics and more when we get to see five.
Speaker 1: So let's get to it. Here is a bit of every show from our fourth season. I hope you enjoy it. I hope you made it enjoyable. Huh, maybe we made it enjoyable. Well, there's that, and we will be back for season five.
Speaker 3: Who I am so.
Speaker 2: Real to have TJ kluon at the Full Circle table.
Speaker 3: Hi, TJ? How are you? I am good?
Speaker 2: Charles? Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 4: I truly appreciate it, and the book follows his journey with these two other characters, Artemis and Alex. And what I love about the book for the most part is, yes, there's the big sci fi adventure that goes on on top of it. There's all there's a big cast of characters, but at its heart, it is about Nate and Art and Alex. They are a triangle. Without them, Without any one of the three, the picture wouldn't be complete. They are pieces from a puzzle, from different puzzles, but when they go together they still somehow fit and still form a picture. And you know when you're writing, when you include romance in books and stuff like that, that there's a tendency to focus on just the two main characters that are as part of the romance. But with this Art, she is ten years old and she is on every single page because she is just as important as Nate and Alex are, and her journey is what sends Nate off into a world where he realizes it's not what it seems and he has to go and figure out how to do what Nate or what Alex and Art have started out to do trying to get her home.
Speaker 2: That's yes, it's so It was so much fun to read, and the character of Artemis is very charming, it's so charging and the you know, I had suspected what made her special a bit beforehand, but I was almost wrong. And I love that, and it kind of gave me. The dynamic between the three kind of gave me louis La Statt and Claudia vibes, except not quite as creepy, right, not quite as screepy. We do not want to go to that direction.
Speaker 4: Yes, and I doubt that art art can be a little creepy sometimes, but she's not a child vampire queen.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: Wayne Scott is here to talk about his memoir The Maps. They gave us One Marriage Reimagined, and I am here to tell you that it is a wonderful read and I can't wait to talk to him about it. Wayne, How are you welcome to the Full Circle Table?
Speaker 6: Oh, thank you very much for inviting me. It's an honor. About the fifteen year mark, we had a bit of a crisis and I realized I had kind of lop off this huge important part of myself. It's almost like I had forgotten who I was in a way that I just kind of I couldn't tolerate anymore. The loneliness and the desperation and the desolation was too much. And I also I didn't know how to talk to her about it because again with the script that was a supplied to us about what a heteronormative marriage is supposed to look like, for me to initiate the conversation would be to initiate a conversation about divorce. That's that's how it felt like. We have a very binary way of thinking about all these different you know, whether it's male or female, or monogamy or gay or straight, or marriage or divorce or monogamy or not. Like it's they're very polarized ways. And and in fact, human humans, human relationships and humans are messier and more fluid than that. Right, And we need and we need to find containers. Maybe we need to reinvent, reimagine containers that are going to allow us more room to grow, to evolve, to heal sometimes.
Speaker 2: Right, And I think it also comes down to I think wiring because some people I was actually just having this conversation a couple of days ago, how like, I don't think I'm wired for something like an open relationship mm hmm, like I And I think part of that is, you know, in my twenties and thirties, I was such a hoe. So when I'm ready to settle down, I'm ready to like settle down.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And I'm seeing more and more with friends that they're exploring open relationships, and to me from the outside, it just looks so messy.
Speaker 6: Yep, No, you're right, it is messy.
Speaker 2: But if it works, I mean, you know, I try to like not sit in judgment because if it's working for you and no one's getting hurt, who am I to have anything to say? But yeah, I just don't think I'm wired that way. So if you are good, the god speed, you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Well, And I actually appreciate you saying what you just said, because I think it's very important to come into any conversation like this without an agenda and without being prescriptive or dogmatic that one relationship form is superior to another. We all have to find our way, right And actually, you know, when you first said I am not wired for nominogamy, honestly, Charles, I would have said that. I would have said had a couple of years ago to you know, and the period of time that's depicted in the memoir is a period, it's a crucible, It's a period of intense struggle with this couple trying this marital experiment. Can we transition into a non monogamous form from what we had? And we didn't know it was going to work?
Speaker 3: We really did today.
Speaker 2: I am delighted to be sitting with our guest, Tony Keith Junior.
Speaker 3: Tony is a wonderful.
Speaker 2: Poet, spoken word artist, hip hop educational leader from Washington.
Speaker 7: D C.
Speaker 2: So you know we're going to have an interesting conversation today. We're going to be talking about Tony's collection of poems called Knucklehead, and I would really love to get into this. Tony Keith Junior, Welcome to the Full Circle Table.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, Thank you so much. Y'all's glad to be here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love I love your use of language. And you know, I felt like this was coming from someone I knew, you know, because you know, hopefully when we are young, coming up, gay people, gay black people, hopefully we have a few figures in our life that are there to like help bring us up and show us the way. And your voice called to that.
Speaker 8: Oh, I really appreciate that, because Charles, something that I think so much about is if only I had a book like this when I was a.
Speaker 2: Kid, Oh my god, how seen?
Speaker 8: You know, I would have like felt and although I was reading this is what's interesting is, you know, I was reading Langs and Hughes as a kid, but nobody was talking to me about Lens and Hughes and his sexuality or his masculine like I was. No One was saying to me that, Tony, you're reading the works of queer writers gay like I didn't know then, right, And then of course, you know, I grew up in the era where I was reading, at least in college literary works by Elan Harris, you know, and so right, so I remember like literature me through. Okay, So I'm thinking about like I remember sort of discovering black gay court authors, I guess sort of in my twenties, but like, what about my like teens in middle school years?
Speaker 3: Where were they?
Speaker 8: And all I keep thinking about is like right now, in this moment, I'm like, I really want these young black boys, whether they're queer, gay or not, are questioning or whoever, to like to know that they exist like right now, like, here's a book for young adults, Like here's something written for you, specifically for you. Yeah, I really, yeah, I really wanted that. I was like, this is the book that I needed. The poems that would have been like, oh, this makes sense.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by my return to the mic as a married woman and wine straight from the drug. We had the best flower girl ever.
Speaker 2: Facts.
Speaker 1: We had a formidable trans woman who wore a beautiful green dress and fairy wings and distributed petals yes, yeah, gaily forward all the way up to the front where she dumped the rest of them on your head and then sat down.
Speaker 2: It was fabulous. Yeah, they were silk and the fairy wings were definitely my idea because I was like, well, if she's going to be the flower girl, it just makes sense to me for some reason that she needs to be wearing.
Speaker 1: Fairy in black combat booths. And she was totally just representing queer joy indeed, and you know.
Speaker 2: And even if that weren't her like actual position, she would have anyway by being.
Speaker 1: She's just right. But it was like, what did Tyr and Brian say? This was not only the most fun wedding I've ever been to. It's the funniest. It's like, well, good, we are us after all. Yeah, it was supposed to not be somber. Dear god, it's almost thirteen years, so yeah, I mean lighthearted was perfectly good.
Speaker 2: Do you feel different?
Speaker 1: I do. I didn't think I would. I really didn't think I would.
Speaker 2: How do you feel different?
Speaker 1: It feels good that we're married. I mean it does feel good. You've been different I have. Yeah, You've been so sweet and attentive, and it's like, you know, you finally don't think I'm fucking around with you and like gonna throw you out tomorrow or something like. That's my That's what I'm surmising.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're not incorrect.
Speaker 1: It's okay, it's finally real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is a lightness about me now, like you know, there's no more doubts. There's no more doubts or questions, like we end this together and I didn't really not believe it, but you But.
Speaker 1: That's a fair assessment given me. I mean, it is like it's fair to say h didn't always feel solid.
Speaker 2: But I'm happy and I am too, and you know, just I'm your husband.
Speaker 1: Every signature on our marriage license is uh belongs to a person of trans experience because we got married the day before transdave visibility and it just as I thought of it, I was like, oh, that's what has to happen right here, because efficient it was jo At Miller, who is the first trans woman elected to partisan office in the state of New Jersey. That's right, the Woodburry City council person. And she officiated and she did a wonderful job. That kid is going places.
Speaker 2: Indeed, I love it.
Speaker 1: And again like so the witnesses had to be turned to right.
Speaker 2: Like she was one of a very short list of people that we were thinking of for that, but she was the one.
Speaker 1: Well, Kathy wouldn't do it. I said, you gotta marry us, and she went, I don't want. I don't want that, do right, But she walked me up the aisle.
Speaker 2: She was the one who I like pictured in my mind. Mm hm oh yeah. I could say, like everyone on the list would have done a fabulous job, but joe was the one who I saw. Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Joey would have been wonderful too, But like Joey and I do do the dinner together. Joey and I have you know, known each other longer, and I mean it's fair to say we're closer. And I wanted her to be able to be a guest, right, That's what I wanted. But she did sign the marriage license, right, And I.
Speaker 2: Love that actually, And it didn't even occur to me until after the fact, what you did with that? And I was like, oh, oh, I see you.
Speaker 1: And that was the thing. I mean, we had a lot of trans folk there, We had a lot of queer folks there. We had certainly a lot of people of color there. And everyone was fine. Everybody was good. I mean, this staff was wonderful, and there were some streets in there too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean they can't help, but they were born that way exactly. This episode is brought to you by Decanta jug Wine and a brand new bed excuse me sleep system.
Speaker 2: So many things have happened since the last time we recorded, up to and including Pope Francis Van sent kicked. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think they're related. I think he went this motherfucker and just decided life was no longer worth living.
Speaker 2: I saw a meme that said I have to go tell tell on you to Jesus myself.
Speaker 1: Personally, Yeah, I'm not sure they know what's going on down here, but they need to.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Pope Francis was eighty eight when he died, and he had just given the Easter.
Speaker 1: Man, yeah the day right right, just.
Speaker 2: Which leads me to believe that he was hanging on for that.
Speaker 1: I think I think he was hanging on for Easter, not JD. But I think JD just went okay, I'm done right, you know, that would be reason exactly know what else happens, because and then there's.
Speaker 2: Like people saying how the Pope was murdered or something like shut up, oh please.
Speaker 1: If he was going to be murdered, they'd have done that early on, because he was saying, who am I to judge? He was saying all kinds of shit that pissed all of them off at the tea dance that is the Vatican. They did not like that or that smoke. And you know, if somebody was gonna kill him, yeah, they'd have done it in the beginning, not now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The second he said faggots ain't so bad.
Speaker 1: Right right, which you know all the fagots and that they went, well, we're not, but yeah, we have to keep up this d.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean they're not they as their dresses matched the drapes Jesus Christ, Yeah in Prada pumps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, as popes go. Right, pretty good one, I guess, I mean, based on what we've had and his predecessor.
Speaker 2: For Christ Sich, Dear God, did more demonstrable good than harm that this one.
Speaker 1: This yeah, not the not Ratzenberger, Oh God his name was.
Speaker 2: He looked like a red he looked like evil and was Yeah, he scared me.
Speaker 1: So this one was better and hum and I believe lived his faith to the best of his ability. And I think had he not had all the other queens go and not so fast, you know, we would have heard more of that, more of the who am I to judge, more of the message I think he was trying to say and shared before he was made pope, right, so you know, as they go, I don't get. But I was raised a Catholic, no secret, you know, and they abandoned me. It wasn't the other way around.
Speaker 2: Word.
Speaker 1: I just found out there was no place for authenticity an honesty within that religion for me. They weren't making room for me. And that the begrudging room that they've made of late is you know, as long as you stay celibate, I guess you get to exist. And I felt like saying, Queen you first that this episode is brought to you by Decanta Jugline and a desperate need to go grocery shopping as not away plantation burns. I saw this picture. I didn't know what it was about. The ancestors and social media rejoice chald.
Speaker 2: The memes, especially from people that were like from the area, Like my favorite was it's burning in the background. You see a black woman in the foreground, just dumping water onto the ground.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Yeah, this monument to southern grandeur, built on the backs of the enslaved a black people, has been destroyed by a fire that raged for nearly forty hours. I guess if you don't add water.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 1: It began late May fifteenth. The inferno gutted the one hundred and sixty year old estate turned resort good God, once the largest Antebellum mansion remaining in the South.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they turned it into a motherfucking resort. Uh.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: I hope every single white person that ever vacation there has a partnering like black ghost following them home and like stealing.
Speaker 3: Their mayo and.
Speaker 2: Wow taking away the startup app for their tesla or whatever the fuck?
Speaker 1: Wow, damn.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It started on the fourteenth when staff noticed smoke in the south wing, and the fire quickly spread through the sixty four room fifty three thousand square foot property, including a three story of rotunda. It's been on the Historic Registration since nineteen eighty. Despite efforts from multiple fire departments, the Yorkshire was lost. Many I'm not even gonna talk about the fire department. Many see poetic justice in the ashes of a plantation that never meaningfully confronted its legacy of slavery. Right, it became a fucking resort, right, not a museum, No, a resort of that sort.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was built in eighteen fifty nine by sugar magnet John Hampton Randolph, powered by the forced labor of more than one hundred fifty enslaved people, a fact that is often glossed over in the tourism.
Speaker 2: For sures, I bet it is.
Speaker 1: I imagine that for many it feels less like a tragedy and more like a reason to celebrate. One social media user pointed out the lack of acknowledgment of the property's racist past as a reason for indifference, not a way as burning.
Speaker 2: I have not a care yep.
Speaker 1: Rebranding a plantation as a resort is wild and diabolical. They don't even acknowledge the history of plantation. On their website, they refer to it as a southern mansion. Yeah yeah, Black Enterprise is a website that is impossible to read from. But I think we caught the gist.
Speaker 2: Well, I was going by the I was going through Google because I sought this story out to include in the notes today, and I was going by the headlines. Who I was going to pick because there was like Fox News was like it was a devastating fire. Yeah whatever. Next the building was lost, all right?
Speaker 1: Next anyway, it's gone exactly, it burned, baby, it burns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the mother wants to rebuild.
Speaker 1: Who's going to do that at today's prices and actually having to pay labor?
Speaker 2: Let's see that part.
Speaker 1: How many the one story, three bedroom structure? How does that work?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I didn't even get that farm work.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Decanted jug Wine, the start of Pride Month and a week chock full of divas. So anybody who says, you know Pride is dead. They had a waiting list of about one hundred vendors, so you know, there was no way at the late date that we contacted them to get a table, but you know, they graciously gave me the opportunity to write, so I did. Yeah, it's just going to be a busy month. I'm speaking at Pittman Pride on the fourteenth, so that I'm excited about that because that's you know, that's hometown right there. Yeah, yeah, full full circle, that's my full That's another full circle moment. Many I love it. I'm excited. And Woodbury, New Jersey is having their very first Pride on the twenty ninth. Our friend Joe Miller is helping to organize that and I believe the MC so there's probably a chance my big mouth will be there as well. So so much Pride, so much fud. Yeah by July Firs, if I never see another rainbow exactly.
Speaker 2: We started our Pride month by raising a new, brand new Pride flag.
Speaker 1: We did it was tattered, our Progress Pride flag, which is up year round, was tattered.
Speaker 2: And it was cute as a little metaphor of the current state of things for a while, but then just started to look lower.
Speaker 1: I deserve a brand new flag, right, And then I noticed that the American flag, the flags above it is a little tattered. But that seems an apt metaphor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's still we march into Yeah, still working as a metaphor. You can't know shit. Yeah, we got a lot of that today. Need to be happy it's flying right side up? Mm hm.
Speaker 1: No kidding, that's the distress, correct right. Yeah, good thing you didn't mention that while I was working the pole, because I think I might have turned it upside.
Speaker 3: Do well, I was working.
Speaker 2: I love the pole, the flag pole. Yeah, that's what you meant.
Speaker 1: That is what I mean.
Speaker 2: I know that's what you meant.
Speaker 1: What are we talking about this morning? We were talking about silly women. And I forget what you said. I forget why I sat up. I said, there are women who don't get off the poll until I fall off. I meant that ship.
Speaker 2: Almost fell out of bed. Well, all right, and our bed's higher now, so it is that would have hurt. It's more of a drop. We have a wonderful artist, author.
Speaker 7: Performer, and all around fierce diva.
Speaker 2: She has written a wonderful book called The Queen Bees of Tybee County. Kyle Casey Chu, Welcome to the Full Circle Table.
Speaker 12: Thank you so much for that illustrious opening. It is a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 2: You are one of the founding queens your your what am I trying to say? Your artistic counter part, Panda Doulce, you are one of the founding queens of Drag Story Time. Right, It's true, which is thank you for your service.
Speaker 1: Thank you chaull.
Speaker 2: So, because of your experience dealing with the Proud Boys and and Drag Story Time, you definitely have first person experience with triumphing over adversity, which is, you know, an integral part of being a queer person in America, especially right now, and you're like an authority on in that area. I would say, thank you.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think I think a lot of any resilience that I have I owe to my community. We're just such a queer answer, right, But it's real for a reason, Like after it happens, I was just inundated with press and journalists asking me over and over to to just relive it in a really excruciating way, and like asking for all these details, and like it felt like it felt like I was being quartered into being triggered so that they could have that sound by it for what they wanted the story to be right, as well as just you know, like trauma dumps and love letters and death threats and transphobic hate and and so in the aftermath, I couldn't really make any decisions in my life, Like my executive functioning was shot. I couldn't get out of bed. I couldn't even order food. I was just so overwhelmed. And and my friend stepped up in a really big way, and Queer dreads people from across the world, Like I got letters from like Norway and Sweta, and people sending me like tea and Crystal and like you know, organizing meal trains and coming to cook like larm for me, like ty food, and just volunteering to come watch movies with me. And it kind of clarified what pride meant for me, that it's less about the ostentatious floats and it's more about this network.
Speaker 2: Of people who we've cultivated together.
Speaker 12: And I thought that was a really beautiful thing and it gave me a lot of help in the future.
Speaker 1: James Baldwin's groundbreaking novel Giovanni's Room has been extended through June twenty ninth. It's playing on stage at the Quintessen Theater at the Sedgewick and today we're going to talk to Midgney and Jada von Regersberg from the cast. Welcome to the Full Circle Table.
Speaker 13: Thank you for loving us. There's a lot of letters throughout the show, and the very last image of the show, which we had to work on as a special for a really long time, is that he gets a final letter from me from Jacques that he rips up and he throws it away, but there's end and the and the piece of letter blowback at him, which is the sort of beautiful idea that you you can try to destroy the evident, you can try to destroy what's happened, and you can try to say I didn't I didn't mess up anyone's life, I didn't lie to anyone. But truth is going to blow back to you.
Speaker 2: Uh always does.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 13: But I think part of what heartbreaking and and strange about what happens to David is that he he ends up lying a lot, and you start seeing through him more and more and more, and and just you start to see that those lies are destructive and his lying to other people, on him, lying all of that, treating up.
Speaker 2: And sadly, that's a story that we've seen play out in real life way too many times. People hold on to the line and eat you up inside and it starts to extend out from inside of yourself and affects everything around you and your whole life. Authenticity is the only healthy choice, but unfortunately it's not the available choice for some people.
Speaker 13: And for some people's it was not encouraged in their families, how they were raised. So that's it's a journey to find how to speak authentically.
Speaker 2: Which I always think about when people say, you know, hearkening back to the good old days, talking about this time period. We've got to think about, like not even just queer people, but like how everyone must have been walking around with so much repression all the time, just like even like you're your cis had white folks, like because there's so many constraints about what is a man, what is a woman? And no one is those things like naturally, really I don't believe. So it's like that's what we want. We want to go back to this place of repression and inauthenticity and lying to ourselves.
Speaker 1: Great but the people who want us to go back are the ones that always worked out for mostly well, I mean they're having the good old y yeah, yeah, yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 13: It's easy to be nostalgic because because it's it's sort of imaginary. It's sort of like when I think back with time that is gone. I think it was a great time, but there's no proof that it was a great time. And as saying time and you're particular right world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I was really cute in the eighties, but we were scared to death to have sex. We didn't know what's fun, you know, I mean, like we had great music.
Speaker 13: But yeah, you can't desire a thing that you have.
Speaker 12: You can only desire the thing that you either have yet to achieve or the thing that you've lost.
Speaker 1: Fair yeah, fair, quick and dirty.
Speaker 2: Prior episode, I know, I'm all here, Hey.
Speaker 7: Well I'm trans Did I mention that I am not a problem to be solved or something to be eliminated. I like to believe that I add some value in this world. Time will tell my story, just as it will for those who would see me go on here and now, at this point in our history, my existence is being politicized as a distraction. The rhetorics around me and mine is meant to confuse and divide. It's meant to instill fear, because when we are afraid, we do not make good decisions, especially about people we've seldom or never bothered to call human in the first place.
Speaker 3: When we are.
Speaker 7: Fearful and distracted, it is impossible to summon our best selves. When fear takes hold, Kindness is an act of resistance. Anyone who says they come from a place where there are no trans people comes from a place where we are oppressed and fear for our lives. The fact that safety might require us to hide is no measure of our existence. Our stories matter, and I, for one, will hide from no one, not anymore.
Speaker 1: Not anymore.
Speaker 7: When the rhetoric gets so far out of hand, humans hide in fear for their lives. Solidarity is an act of resistance. Here in twenty twenty five executive orders prohibit federal recognition of trans people in any aspect of civic life. I find that childish, churlish, and chilling. The history somewhat erase tells us you cannot order people from existence.
Speaker 1: You know, resistance doesn't.
Speaker 14: Always carry a Bullhorn in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 7: Existing openly as a transgender expansive person is an act of resistance. Supporting us with your entire voice is.
Speaker 14: An act of resistance.
Speaker 7: I'd like to say, We're all still here, in every color, shape, size, origin, and all the beautiful intersections black brown, butcher them, all the glorious and valid expressions in between, speaking every language and raised in every culture. I'd like to say, all of the people my government is telling you to fear are still here, but some have already been gathered up. So only some of the people my government is telling you to fear are still right here. Who I assure you we are going to church this afternoon.
Speaker 1: Blame me, grant. Welcome to the Full Circle table.
Speaker 15: Thank you for having me. It's a treat to be here.
Speaker 2: Basically, how can you have a concrete answer to an abstract question? You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, How can you talk with certainty and in facts and truth about something that you believe?
Speaker 2: Right? Thank you?
Speaker 15: Belief by default is not true. Belief is an untrue thing because it can't be, It can't possibly be. Otherwise we would use the word truth. And that's why we have to use the word believe, because that's something we hope, we hope it's true. I'm gonna face my faith in that thing, trust in that thing, but I can't know it and I can't prove it, And so why am I trying to do those things? Why am I wasting my one wild, precious life, thank you, Mary Oliver, to try to prove something that I can't like it. It's just it's a whole different mindset when you finally do come to that place where you're like, oh, I don't know, and guess what, I don't need to. I'm gonna live a gorgeous, beautiful, full life without knowing, and that is going to be fine. And the fear that gets instilled in so many of us in these really cult like religious spaces, the high demand religious stuff, is that there are horrible consequences right hell obviously being the biggest one, but even more immediate consequences of losing your community, getting kicked out, excommunicated, whatever your your particular brand calls it. You know, like, those are scary consequences when you're told and taught and indoctrinated and groomed. Thank you, leeve, thank you that there's that there is only one way that there is only uh, you know, the the binary, and that you have to choose the good over the evil and all that. So it's I hear you on that it takes a long time to unravel and extract yourself from the clutches of that kind of that that that that grip of the requirements of certainty.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Decanta jug One, the fan running in the background to keeping up Live and my last queer Nerve.
Speaker 2: This is from a few weeks ago, but it's still so juicy that it's worth talking. It really was.
Speaker 1: The pictures were so sad.
Speaker 2: The hetero Awesome fest and Idaho. First of all, if awesome is in the name of your event, it ain't.
Speaker 1: I know, I know. It's like when you call yourself a DV.
Speaker 3: A girl exactly girl, you is not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the festival go sit down. It was. It was barely hetero.
Speaker 1: It was awesome, nothing awesome about it, And I wouldn't call it a fest.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 1: Tens of people showed.
Speaker 2: Up, threes of sevens of people.
Speaker 1: Fighting, low attendance and a racism scandal. How exciting.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because some fucking podcast was recording live and they were saying, how you know the town was so nice and clean and quiet, and then he leaned to the mic and said, there's no black people here.
Speaker 1: Who said that the host of the podcast? Oh wow, yeah wow. So was one of those podcasts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the ones that give everyone else like because there's.
Speaker 1: That whole name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where we're going, Yeah, there's that whole thing now, like how podcasts are bad and not helpful. It's like, no, y'all are just seeing these white yahoos with microphones screaming lies and hateful rhetoric, and those are the ones getting attention. Joe Rogan, I'm looking at you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But then you have folks likes but never the right question exactly.
Speaker 2: You have folks like us who actually give a shit about what we're talking about.
Speaker 1: You know, what was that meme that said he never asked questions about the patriarchy or capitalism exactly where any of the things he should be asking questions about. Right, It's almost like he ain't about.
Speaker 2: Shit, right, That's that double edged sword. Anyone can have a podcast, however that means, that means anyone anyway.
Speaker 1: I know, but they flocked to them, I know. He placates all of their insecurities. He makes them feel better about themselves because women have had, like most of us, are done trying to make you feel better about that little dick. So you need Joe Rogan to help you explain your life to you and say it's our fault.
Speaker 2: I was in an uber and the white driver was like, is it okay if I'm listening to a podcast? And I was like, sure, I don't care, that's cool. He's like, it's Joe Rogan. I immediately gave him one star.
Speaker 1: Dagan, Yeah, nope, not that one. And baby, if you don't know better, you know I ain't here to cheach.
Speaker 2: I was already listening to whatever I was going to listen to anyway, Just why didn't But once he said Joe Rogan, nope, one star, fuck you. And I believe my my justification for my one star was the lack of cleanliness in the vehicle, because I counted that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well that did filthy it up right anyway.
Speaker 2: So the fucking hetero awesome Fest held in Boise Idoh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people actually go to Pride events exactly. They managed to draw attention for all the wrong reasons. I say, just four dozen people.
Speaker 2: Attended two's of fives of people.
Speaker 1: About thirty to fifty I guess, depending on whether AI was involved in your photograph or not attended Hetero Awesome Fest across the two days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and most of those were queer people looking to see what was.
Speaker 1: Up right, Like, what the fuck is you doing?
Speaker 2: I think there were more queer people at the Hetero Awesome Fest than hetero people.
Speaker 1: Is roughly the size of the self proclaimed world's smallest Pride parade in twenty twenty three, held in a neighborhood of around forty people. Similar straight pride events have a long history of attracting laughably low turnout. UH one event in California in twenty nineteen turned out just twenty attendees in comparison to the two hundred pro LGBTQ plus protesters, and an event the same year in Texas organized by the people who hosted Boston's failed straight Pride parade attracted just three people, one of whom later said she did not know what the event was whatever, and rebuked it a street she could have just been walking by and stopped to look.
Speaker 2: A straight pride parade. Isn't that just traffic? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, it is. It's traffic on any given day. The Sal Paulo Gay Pride in Brazil is considered the largest pride celebration in the world, attracting about three two five a million attendees every year.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of fags.
Speaker 1: The largest celebrations in North America are Toronto Pride and New York City Pride, which each attract millions annually.
Speaker 2: Yeah. New York Pride is its own animal, Joe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they tried it once again. They got a wall and they limited the women who are willing to fuck them. All in all, it worked out well.
Speaker 2: Now. The best though, is the musician who performed Okay, that's this thing.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Daniel Hamrick was the was one of the musicians and he mocked. Yeah. He got up on the stage and he like took off his overshirt and underneath he had a jacket with a rainbow and pink triangle patches on it and a crop top that read Key Canyon County Queer. And then he played a song titled Boy about a young trans boy. I saw the video and the song was fun and it was like you could it like took people a while to realize what he was saying because nobody's paying attention.
Speaker 1: Right, and well all forty eight of them were talking amongst themselves.
Speaker 2: Right, and they cut his mic and then like made him get off stage.
Speaker 1: Mm hm no, what that's fun?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got a healthy t he behind that shit ones of twos of people.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Decanted jug Wine and a list that doesn't exist. But if it did exist, the Democrats wrote it, and while it doesn't exist, Republicans unanimously voted not to share it. If it existed, which it does.
Speaker 2: Not, it makes us extra proud to have listeners in Norway. Hey, y'all.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I had worked with a client for several months before we started doing groups, yes, because we didn't have enough folks to do groups with. And you know, in those groups, you know, I told my story, you know, and talked about being trans right, But she and I had never had any conversation like that, because you know, it wasn't your meane. I was working with har I was trying to help her get some stuff that came up, and she whispered to Nicki, or whispered but went to Niki later said more less trance, and NICKI said, I know, and she said, I had no idea. I thought she was Norwegian.
Speaker 2: Because you're tall and blind.
Speaker 1: Apparently yes, and so it's kind of become a little running joke.
Speaker 3: Martha is Norwegian.
Speaker 2: I am Norwegian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Because there was a there was a dude who is I guess new talking not not knowingly, but talking to one of my clients who are very masculine, male identified, and they were way down the hall and the guy looked at nodded at me and said, that's a dude. I guess My solo is quite tall. And my client went where and he nodded, and the client went, that is not a dude. That is Martha. She's Norwegian. So it's just it's a running Yeah.
Speaker 2: I told you every time comes up says something, you should just respond yeah, yeah, right right.
Speaker 1: Clearly, I do not deny the fact that I'm trance. It's just funny whenever you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I mean, it makes sense. Tall, blonde, yeah, I guess, striking figure there you.
Speaker 1: Go, cheek bones, cheek bones that you do like yogurt? Okay, is that a Norway thing? But not herring?
Speaker 11: So.
Speaker 2: Jano Diaz is a wonderful author and artist. And his autobiography, entitled Slumboy, has been called by the Guardian one of the most moving accounts of non fiction ever written, and I cannot help but agree. Wanah, thank you so much for joining us. How are you.
Speaker 14: I'm good. Thank you so much, Charles. That's some introduction.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank goodness for to thank goodness for art. So and I and I saw how in your teenage years, in your early adulthood, it felt like a lot of your relationships were like transactional, Like how how did all of that affect your adult relationships?
Speaker 3: If I may ask, I didn't.
Speaker 17: I doesn't have many adult relationships. I mean, we've we've all we've all kind of done stuff. I had a few I had a few relationships where I allowed people to walk over me and I got into stupid situations and stuff I think we all have when we're when we're younger. I've been so, honestly, I've been so sort of laser focused with creating art and photographs in film that it's kind of over it overtook all that for a long long time. And I've had a I mean, I've had a couple of relationships. The relationship I mean just now is probably the most like level one.
Speaker 2: But yeah, well I do love that for you. Yeah, I imagine, you know. I mean we all go through that period of wanting to please others, but you had to go through that for a sense of like stability and survival, especially with your.
Speaker 3: Adoptive parents.
Speaker 2: Wanting to be the kind of person they wanted you to be, which meant not being who you were. And I felt like, you know, that was a constant struggle.
Speaker 14: It was, but I fought so hard against them.
Speaker 2: You think you were a difficult child.
Speaker 17: They would say that. They would say, my father to this day would say you were such an artful to us, and then in a joking way, right, Well, I just I couldn't help it. I had to express myself. I had to, you know. When I was at that age where I understood what was what, I didn't give a shit.
Speaker 14: I went out.
Speaker 18: In the village and wore high heels and making these big camp paintings and just being myself. You know, I wasn't going to conform to working in a scrap yard and living in a boxing gym, which is what my dad done. I hated it.
Speaker 14: It wasn't me, It wasn't my it's not my nature.
Speaker 2: You were so much bigger than the life that you.
Speaker 17: I just was. I just have creativity connected to my core and in a small village in Scotland, there's no reference at all for that. So one wonderful thing happened was satellite TV when that appeared back in the eighties and we suddenly were exposed to like fashion, TV and TV and all that visual stuff.
Speaker 14: I mean, I just drunk all in and went with it.
Speaker 17: So it's almost like an explosion waiting to happen, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, favorite supermodel, go Naomi Campbell.
Speaker 3: That better have been the answer.
Speaker 17: Also my Pessa, Okay, she's sensational.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a Naomi fan myself.
Speaker 14: Stunning.
Speaker 2: Every now and again I whip out my name, Naomi Campbell walk just because.
Speaker 14: Hey, why not you have to exactly.
Speaker 2: Hey, y'all, So today it's just me. I have you all to myself.
Speaker 3: But that's okay because.
Speaker 2: It's my birthday. Finally, I've been hearing everyone talk about how the spin off series, the sequel series, the follow up series to Sex and the City, and just like that is ending. I never really cared, but someone accused me of being a bad queer for never having watched an episode. So I was like, fine, I'll watch the fucking show. See what all the hu ha and whoplas about. I couldn't make it through the first episode of season one. I made it exactly twenty minutes through, and it took me three tries to get that far. I am not exaggerating three tries. I don't know why I expected anything different, because, like I said about the first series, you know, after the first episode, I can see why y'all are single, because y'all are like hateful, ungrateful bitches. But and this go round, they're older and they're supposed to be dealing with that. But it's I never thought I would long for the New York that the first series took place in, where there were no black people, because now the comedy, or at least what I gleaned from the first episode, the comedy comes from, you know, I have to deal with with people that are different from me, and I'm just so white and it's so awkward. Isn't that hilarious? Cringe cringe cringe ha ha ha. I First of all, I hate cringe porn humor, and this is dumb, like, Okay, you don't deal with people of color that often, but it's like it comes across as if this is the first time they've ever interacted with people of color. It's like, come on now. So I did my due diligence and I watched half of one episode and I can safely say that it's some bullshit, and I'm glad it's ending because between Miranda being an indvertently racist to her law professor and fucking and Carrie not being able to comprehend they them pronouns, oh, my goodness, child, fuck y'all, just fuck y'all and your white nonsense.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Hot Coffee on the last morning of a much needed vacation.
Speaker 2: Word so the Immortal Bard Snoop dogg ha ha ha, I'm kidding. Recently on some hotep ass podcast said basically that there shouldn't be LGBTQ plus representation in kids movies. Quote, they're going to ask questions, do we have to show that? Now? The film in question was light Year, which we've talked about on the show, which was the spin off film about buzz Lightyear and his partner voiced by Uzzo, A Duba, her character. In one scene where they're flashing through time, it shows her and her presuming the wife or female partner, and they have a two second kiss and shows that they have a baby together. Yes, And he's talking about how he was at the movie with his grandson and his kid was like, oh, there's two women. How can two women have a baby? And all he would say is just watch the movie and how why do we have to see that? Because it's kids movies and they're gonna ask questions and what am I supposed to do then fucking answer them?
Speaker 1: And he said he doesn't have the answer. Yeah, yeah, and true women can.
Speaker 2: Love each other and you know, right, And that just shows how little you actually think a about queer people and be about women that you're not fucking because if you had any kind of social conscience at all where related to the LGBTQ plus community, you would have already made answer for the kid.
Speaker 1: Sure, people who love each other sometimes raise children together exactly period, Like it's not hard, but truly not hard.
Speaker 2: You're a lazy bitch, and we want to talk about you know, he wants to get hung up on things that are appropriate for children, like I've seen. I was looking at some of the lyrics to his songs, and there was one particular song, just the one song I read about him running trains on women and never referred to any of the women in the song in any way other than bitch. He talked about being a pimp and selling this one girl's pussy fucking another dude's sister. And it's all in the same four minute, three minute span. But a two second kiss and a frame or two of two women and a baby is too much for children and causes questions.
Speaker 1: I wonder how does he explain his lyrics to his grandchildren.
Speaker 2: You know, hmm, like put my dick on your forehead so it stays on your mind, that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that, mm hmm. I guess he's gotten a problem explaining.
Speaker 2: That he featured on a song where the chorus was bitches ain't shit but hosing tricks. They lick on the nuts and suck the dicks, so you know.
Speaker 1: But that's okay, Yeah, his grandchildren, Yeah, that's he can explain that, you see. Yeah, he just can't explain that, you know, two women might be in love and raising a topic.
Speaker 2: Well, love and women are not two words. That go together in his Vernacube problem. He has written a fabulous book, and I'm not saying it's fabulous just because.
Speaker 3: I'm in it.
Speaker 2: It is about black fandom, and it is called fandom for us by us, the pleasures and practices of black audiences. Alfred L. Martin is in the house. Hello, how are you so much?
Speaker 17: Thank you?
Speaker 19: I am well, thank you so much for having me on the show.
Speaker 2: There is that element of for queer folks. I know, the idea of chosen family plays it huge part in it, I'm sure, and then also the shadiness of it. Yeah, you know, like, yeah, one of the best moments of my personal life this is when I'm still barretadd and someone asked me can I ask a stupid question? And I just, without missing it beat better than any I know. Yeah, I was like, I can't. I'm good now. Yeah, That's that's the thing that that kept me. It's the cleverness of the writing and the it's just funny. Mm hmmm.
Speaker 19: I think one of the really interesting things about the show and black folks' engagement with it is that they're obviously like, as black folks, we know we're watching a bunch of white folks, but there was also there's also this and I hate to say it as work because it sounds like it's work, but it's not necessarily like but it's the work of us sort of trying to fit the Golden Girls into a pre existing pattern that already exists in our brain.
Speaker 2: So it is about the way.
Speaker 19: So one of the things that emerged was this kind of verbal sparring to sort of you know, say to someone you can I or to ask someone can I ask a stupid question and the response being better than anyone I know that for many black folks felt like they were kind of sort of playing a version of the Dozens. And so what was really fascinating for me was the ways that this very white show and in some ways, like we don't really even love the episodes where Negro show up because it's like, just leave us out of this, like and we like because we could just enjoy the white lady right right, right, But so like this show with these white ladies on it, like we can figure out how to read it blackly. H. So it's like it's like, don't worry about like you just do what you do. We'll take care of like making it make sense for us. And so that's one of the things that is really was really fascinating to me as I was doing these interviews is figuring out the ways black folks were making the show.
Speaker 2: They're like mean something for them, right.
Speaker 3: He is an.
Speaker 2: Author of a fabulous and thrilling new book called The Dead of Summer, and I am very excited to talk to him about it and its themes and all the wonderful things contained within the brightly colored covers. Ryan Lesala is in the house. Hi, Ryan, how are you.
Speaker 1: I'm so good.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me. Yeah.
Speaker 20: I definitely loved the element of the bachelorette party being the moment that fucked it up for everyone, because that much is in life.
Speaker 21: Yeah, that's not fiction.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's truly not.
Speaker 21: I mean, the thing is, though I don't know, like, I'm friends with a lot of drag queens and they can't necessarily speak ill about the bachelorettes because my bachelottes have.
Speaker 2: Money, right.
Speaker 21: They bring in like an infusion of tourism that like we kind of need in order to provide what we need for like the rest of our community in those spaces, And so I like the idea of like a necessary evil, being part of part of this particular world. That's how I think about them. But even when you go to these places, right like Rovin Sound, or like if you go to like gay bars and stuff, like even the physical invasion of a bachelorette party, like all of these people dressed identical. And I'm talking about like the straight bachelor parties, because you've seen plenty of lesbian bachelor parties roll up and they look fantastic, right, and I'm glad that they're there, But I'm talking about the like you know, like the Savannah girls, and like they'll probably be a little bit more at home in like Nashville, right, but they've decided to come to like this gay bar and the girls, the WU girls, right, and like there is this out like there is this sense of like invasion about them and the way that they look and there it kind of feels fungle right to see all these people, like they're like pink buzzy shirts with their ciaras, Like I'm sold and I'm gonna, like, you know, I'm scared that I'm gonna like leave the bar and find like a feather boa.
Speaker 2: Like snaking around my neck, right, Like it.
Speaker 21: It feels contagious.
Speaker 2: All of a sudden. The only thing you that will sustain you is rose.
Speaker 21: Right, I know, I know, and I need to cry off my mescara twice in one night, but then reapply it in the bathroom and be like built back up by my girls, right, Like I do feel a tender thing for these these bachelor parties. But you know, I wanted to write about that particular like entitlement and how it can sometimes spell disaster for a place.
Speaker 2: She is a New York Times bestselling author. She has written an amazing and fun and dark book darkly fabulous will call it. It is called girl Dinner, And I am excited to have Olivi Blake in the house. Hi, Olivi, how are you?
Speaker 13: Hi?
Speaker 16: I'm great, Thank you so much for having me. Really, Girl Dinner started as a punchline. I mean it was when obviously obviously it's a reference to the meme I'm not on TikTok, so like it reached me like last I like to joke that it reached me as you know Anne Hathaway's Cerulian sweater. You know, it trickled down to me. And so then I was like wouldn't it be funny if I wrote a satire about a cannibal sorority and called it girl Dinner and enough people laughed.
Speaker 2: That here we are. Okay, So I'm glad you said cannibalism because I was trying to figure out how to talk about it without talking.
Speaker 16: About it, right, No, no, no, we can just talk about it. The thing is that I when I wrote this, or when I when I told my editor and she's like, you have to write that, I was like, don't you think there's been a lot of cannibal books recently?
Speaker 2: Like I had read a lot, at.
Speaker 16: Least four or five books in twenty twenty three where it was like the surprise twist is cannibalism. And I was like, if we're if I'm going to do this, if I'm going to contribute to the cannon of cannibalism, then I want it to be to not turn on the twist like that. You can kind of know the whole way through that you're like, oh God, they're cannibals, aren't they.
Speaker 2: So well it was funny because I was like, Okay, so they're cannibals. Wait they're witches. Wait they're vampire they're gonna be all of them watched. Luckily there was no wrong answer.
Speaker 16: Yeah it's maybe, and yeah.
Speaker 2: I love it, and and part of me is like, hmm, do I have a list? But I don't think many of the people on my list would be very nutritious for anyone. I also love the themes of.
Speaker 3: What is a good woman?
Speaker 2: I'm putting that in their quotes and is there such a thing?
Speaker 21: Right?
Speaker 16: Yeah, that's really the question, and the book is not trying to answer the question. I will just say that straight up. I think there's been a lot of people have been like, oh, girl Dinner is like the start of this femgor trend or something, which it absolutely is not. Girl Dinner is very much like in conversation with what I already see as an identifiable trend, like there's you know, the woman having a meltdown is like pretty much my favorite literary subgenre, and this is a book that is very much one of those. But I think what's different about Girl Dinner is that it's like it already it already knows about those books.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you once again by Decanted jug Wine and my return to the mic after a three months hiat us. Oh my goodness, and four months without a cigarette, I have missed being here. I'm jumping to Manuel Miranda, who was an owl dot com saying it was an easy decision to cancel Hamilton at the Kennedy Center, another institution that Trump has trashed law while I was away. Yeah, they refused to perform, and good.
Speaker 2: And not just them like Isa Ray was supposed to perform and didn't. It was a bunch of folks. And it's basically like, fuck, y'all.
Speaker 1: Is your monkey ass happiness?
Speaker 2: You got? You got?
Speaker 1: Let's see kid Rock, Nicki Minaje, right and Chachi.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so enjoy that.
Speaker 2: And just because you put a house faggot in charge doesn't mean that it's going to be art.
Speaker 1: No, it does not, No, it doesn't. I have an anecdote. I would love to add to that, but I'm not going to. But I have one right at the tip of my dad.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he does know how many minutes make up a year. He's not the one, got dad, He's not the one.
Speaker 1: No mm hmm no, no, no, no, no. It's going to take a long time to get these institutions back to look at all the mess, because we've got like it's kind of like a drunken toddler just running through the country.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's an apt image.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, just just smashing things, including the Kennedy Center.
Speaker 2: The arts community had five hundred and twenty five six hundred ways to say fuck you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, now had said that this was a publicity stunt that would backfire, and of course, you know, this is the Center's new president.
Speaker 2: Of course he deleted that tweet. Mm hmm. They don't need to do a publicity stunt. They're fucking Hamilton.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And of course, Harvey Ferestein said he was banned from the Kennedy Center after he criticized Trump and called Crenell a self loathing queer because he is that part, you know, and self loathing queer is a little more eloquent than.
Speaker 2: Housewaggot, but it's the exact same thing.
Speaker 7: It is.
Speaker 1: Distinction without a difference, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Very much. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Today we're visiting with artistic director Deborah Block and actors Ariana Gaile and Scott Career from Theater Exile in South Philadelphia. We recently saw their play job and it stuck with me. What an incredibly intense experience. We're really excited to talk with you.
Speaker 2: How are you all?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: All speak at once. It's fine.
Speaker 2: You mention your choice for intimate plays that can exist in intimate space, and I have. I've only seen a handful of productions from Theater Exile. Loved every one of them, but every one of them has been exactly that intimate taking place in one location. And if I may really fucked up, and it's low key, what I come to expect, and is that the the fucked upness? Is that something that you go you look for in each play or that's just a happy accident for me in the times that I've got no I think.
Speaker 22: That's that's a little bit of of our dna. I really like to dig into the human condition. We like things to feel timely, to feel like current, like we should be seeing this right now, that it makes sense that we're watching it right now. But when you get into the truth of the human condition, we're messy there and and and we all have a little fucked upness within us, and most of us I think try and put the good face and do our best journey. I think both of these characters we're trying to be their best selves through the whole journey, because I think that's what we try to do. But when you reveal what's going on underneath, it gets complicated and messy and dirty. And I don't think we can fix things or understand things if we don't dive into that. So I'm not surprised that of the handful of things there was a through line of fucked upness.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, So it wasn't just a happy accident, Okay, No, I mean, I mean.
Speaker 22: There might be some things that you wouldn't describe that way, But I don't know, Scott. You know, our work is as well as anyone.
Speaker 21: What do you think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I like that that Exile chooses plays that challenge and engage with you. You know, it is not you don't go to theater Exile to be nostalgic or to be you know, modified, or you know, have you know, nice easy experience. But it's always entertaining and engaging and sort of asks you to look at things from a different perspective, ask you to re examine things that you thought you understood really well and h and so it's and again it is the audience knows why they're there and is excited to be there, and that's very gratifying to be a part of.
Speaker 2: Just don't come expecting forty second Street. Yeah, I said, we said, Charles said, well, no, Second Street.
Speaker 5: Who doesn't want to watch, you know, incredible tap dancing for two hours?
Speaker 1: That's not this?
Speaker 2: Ain't that.
Speaker 1: We got outside and Charles said, well, and I said, that was not a musical. Today, we have gathered two wonderful friends to talk about one of my favorite holiday movies, The Family Stone with us First. She has a two time Peabody Award winning children's radio host from Philadelphia and our go to media guru on all things media and entertainment, and our dear one, Kathy O'Connell, welcome back back.
Speaker 10: You very happy to be here, kidscorner dot oorg. Okay, that's the end of my ad from now on Family Stone.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: And he is doctor Alfred L. Martin, Junior Chair and Associate Professor in the Department of Cinematic Arts at the University of Miami, author of The Generic Closet, Black Gayness and The Black Cast sitcom, editor of Rolling Blackness and Mediated Comedy, and co editor of The Golden Girls. Essay from the Lunai. He's also the author of Fandom for Us by Us, which contains you someone in there, You're in it. I am your host, Martha Madrigal.
Speaker 2: And I'm your host. Charles Tyson Junior and Alfred.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Full Circle Table.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me. Well, I always say The Family Stone my favorite Christmas movie about a problematic white family, and they're problematic white house guests. Yes, that's what this is. I do appreciate though, the fact that you know, because that is hearing impaired. They sprinkle asl throughout the dialogue of the film, and it's it's kind of like Spanglish. They go in and out of it because they don't sign everything they say. They just sign like pointed phrases and things.
Speaker 1: Which, yeah, and you know, I've read up some on that. I did two things. I read up on that, and that is very much how it's pretty accurate in the ways that a hearing family does interact.
Speaker 10: Well, I was telling Alfred about this earlier. I watched A Q and A with the actors who played the siblings, which is how I finally figured out that it's Luke Wilson who's in the movie now, and they talked about the naturalness and how everybody did get to use because tied John, I was said, is right there on the panel with them, and how everyone was very comfortable learning like Christmases, except for Craig T. Nelson, who couldn't just like gracefully get any of them. He had the most trouble with the ASL. And they commented on that very thing, how very real it was, and how natural every body in the family.
Speaker 2: His lack of grace actually read to me as someone that's just been doing it for so long that it's just casual and it's like a household dialect. Even it's like, you know, I do this, I mean Christmas.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So it does ring true that idea of span English.
Speaker 1: But I sent the particular clip where, you know, because I could not find an answer online.
Speaker 2: And Grandma signed something really very bad, but we never know what that is. No one knows, and so I heard speculation.
Speaker 1: Well, I sent the clip to my friend who is an ASL interpreter, and she said, honestly, I don't know. I can't see enough to tell you what she just said. And that was kind of what I heard. So I still don't know, the world will never know what Grandma's on. You know, I assumed it was go fuck yourself, That's what I assumed it was.
Speaker 10: But I assume that's what it was. I just assumed that from the beginning.
Speaker 2: Well, whatever it is, it wasn't the first time that little girl saw it. Point it out.
Speaker 10: Let me talk about that little girl. Can we get right to it?
Speaker 1: But you can, because if that starts right in the hallway.
Speaker 10: With that kid has two D syndrome, you know, the rottenest kid who has ever been in a movie, who's in my favorite movie Meet Me in Saint Louis, who never learns that actions have consequences. And I tell you right now, if I had broken the heel on some guest shoe right they wouldn't be saying, oh, it's okay, it's okay, Elizabeth, or I think we have glue somewhere. And the mother, I mean, Susanna is my favorite of old siblings. She's the only one I could truly stand and she just accepts it.
Speaker 2: Well, we talked about that last night. Susannah is the middle child, one of them, one of the middle middle children, and so like she has that whole, like, I'm not rocking the boat, I'm not causing waves energy like she never really like, so I'm it probably carries over into how she raises that child. It's fine, and we got two of those, right, yeah, Like well.
Speaker 1: Big, But I keep saying in the child's defense, she asked a question and she was ignored.
Speaker 2: She didn't get an answer, so therefore she didn't have permission to touch anyone else's shoes.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, well, she tried.
Speaker 2: She tried. If I say, can I play with your shoes? And I don't get an answer, that is not an implied yes, that is, leave it alone until you get the answer to your question.
Speaker 10: Exactly and obviously upside stranger i've never met, exactly can I play with your shoes?
Speaker 2: Especially when you said to her, I like your shoes and she acted like you spat at her feet because she didn't know how to take a fucking compliment. So I wouldn't want to touch your shoes.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Decanta jug Wine Surviving the Holidays and a country I wish I didn't recognize, but I do.
Speaker 2: So I've seen this. I've seen multiple camera angles of this happening. Someone took the time to do a three D model to read like, to show it from all angles. There, there's no way any of their arguments hold any kind of water. She was not advancing toward any of them. She was turning to get a way to move the car that they fucking told her to move. Okay, and.
Speaker 10: She was right.
Speaker 2: The one Ice agent was in front of her car. She did not aim at anyone, and she wasn't moving that fast because she was trying to not hit anyone or anything. But he was mad that she didn't like.
Speaker 1: She wasn't afraid of him, and she wasn't going to get out of the car, so he fired, which surprises no woman, Right, so you fired three shots? Yeah, this is a very fragile white man. This is what they're capable of when when they feel not taken seriously threatened in the not even threatened, laughed at in the least, not given the full dignity they want because they now have some stupid title. Whatever the fuck, that's what this is, right, that's all this is. This woman did nothing wrong. I hope this has been my thought. I hope this is the televised fire hoses. I hope that is this moment, right, you know, it moves the needle when it is a person of color. Now it's a white lady.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Now what and they're trying to use the fact, right, you're trying to they were trying to use the fact that she's queer to like diminish her fucking value as if that you know what I'm saying, of course, like, of course, like so that is discussing Like I am not trained in law enforcement, and my first thought would be, okay, fine, if you're in that situation, you feel that that's a threat, you shoot the tires, not the driver, right, m just me. Apparently after he killed her, he could be heard saying, fucking bitch, like really really, So that's right. That goes to show that really all it was was you were trying to show that up aty woman a lesson for not.
Speaker 1: Listening to her at that is correct, That is not That is not a man in fear of his life. No, that's a man whose ego has been brushed against.
Speaker 2: Not to mention, she was moving at such a low rate of speed that he had three to five business days to get the fuck out of the way. I'm threatened. My life was threatened, like get the fuck out of here. No, no, And then there was a candlelight vigil for the woman that they murdered, and there's agents there and there's video of this one kicking over candles, just kicking them over, and someone was like, do you understand what you just did? And all they have to say is back up, Like do you know why that was there? Back up? Do you know why that candle was there? Back up? It was this is a vigil for this woman. Back up? And then he pushed the guy back. It's like they're bullies. They're the fucking Gestapo. That's all they are. This is Gestapo two point Oh you can't tell me different. They will be starring in the one person show Draw The Circle Present my Hedgerow Theater Company in Philadelphia. We're going to hear a lot about that, I'm sure, plus countless other fabulous and fears things from our guest, Joseph Ahmed. Welcome to the full Circle Table.
Speaker 14: Joseph, thank you.
Speaker 11: It's a delighted to be here. This is the first time I have played outside of my own work or staged reading a South Asian person on stage. This is the first time outside of those contexts that I have had to use any South Asian accent, had to do an Indian accent. It's also the first time therefore, also that I've played like a Nonsis South Asian person age.
Speaker 21: I have played so.
Speaker 3: Many other people.
Speaker 1: I have been.
Speaker 11: Mexican, I have been Hawaiian, I have been Haitian for some reason.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, from the north side.
Speaker 11: I really like this been inside for a while from the so it's really amazing to be in a story that is so salve Asian. It just like feels like such an honor and such a rare circumstance for like the moment and the person to align that I actually get to be in this way.
Speaker 3: Nice and.
Speaker 11: Similarly to Transnis, I think in like, in stepping into this show, I've had to struggle through a lot of feelings of not being trans enough and not being Asian enough to do the plan and I have and these are also just like struggles I have in my life. I have the constant struggle I'm feeling Asian enough. A lot of this for me comes back to the fact that, unlike I think a lot of South Asian families and Dean's family. In the play, where there is this weight of a whole bunch of cultural expectations that get put onto kids, I didn't really have them because of the way that my family has made up.
Speaker 15: I was sort of more of is like.
Speaker 11: You're kind of like my white kid, like you're kind of your mom's kid, and like I'm gonna not and there's some decision between the two of them of like sort of which expectations would be laid on me and which weren't. In some ways, that's been very freeing, and it's always it's been very like alienating and distancing from my identity and for my family, and so it's been really interesting because I have had to navigate a lot through those feelings of not being Asian enough, and it's been really lovely. The moments some moments in the story I'm like, oh, yeah, man, this was not my experience at all. And then there's these other just like small moments that will come out where I'm like, oh.
Speaker 2: This is so truely. There's this moment where a.
Speaker 11: Lot of the play is based around this one thing, like intense thanksgiving that they had together, and at the end of that thanksgiving, the mom is describing like packing up food to go, and she's putting it in the yogurt containers and labeling it and then tying those up tightly in a plastic bag so they won't leave.
Speaker 14: And I was just like, this is exactly what my mother family does, like to a tee.
Speaker 11: This is just like right on the notes. So it's really lovely of finding those bits of connection moments.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Decanta drug Wine and my disdain with Sis's male fragility. Notice I didn't say Sis had because if they were actually straight, we probably have far fewer issues and reserved ice for beverages where it belongs.
Speaker 2: The story that went out is in direct conflict with the eyewitness accounts of not just Keith Porter's family, but other residents of the of the the neighborhood, like, for instance, the off duty agent Ice agent was saying how Keith had fired on him when he's gone at him, when actually what happened was Keith went outside to celebrate as many others had done before him, and shut the gun in the air by shooting his ar fifteen in the air and that was it. He was on his way back into the house when his neighbor. The off duty ICE agent, after having gone inside and put on putting on his tactical gear, came outside and threatened him and shot him dead, and.
Speaker 1: We go put my suit on, right, because black people aren't supposed to have automatic weapons, right. They didn't mean that.
Speaker 2: And the biggest, the one point that stuck out to me was the family member was saying how the ICE agent reported that Keith fired three shots at him, and that someone was saying how three shots were heard, and she was like, it was an AR fifteen.
Speaker 1: You can't fire three shots, right, which.
Speaker 2: Is an automatic weapon. Yeah, so even if you the trigger once, it's going to be more than three shots.
Speaker 1: Which arguably should not have existed in the first place. But you know what it did, right, it did. And the people who you know who would defend the ICE agent are the ones who defend you know, citizens being able to be so armed.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: But you only met white people probably, right, Oh of course, yeah, along with your friendly So it was a neighbor white. Yes.
Speaker 2: And it has recently come out that the agent is facing allegations of abuse and hateful remarks, according to a new La Times report, and given the new allegations, the family of Keith Porter and their attorney believe that this could qualify as a hate crime or a race related well, even though we knew that before.
Speaker 1: Right now, right, because there's a history here and the LA Times is reporting on it right good, So I just wanted to.
Speaker 2: Make sure that in this episode we made a point of mentioning Keith Porter Jr. And the fact that his death was just as significant and wasn't getting the talk and the press that it should.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by a decanted jug wine snow days and frigid temperatures is currently sixteen degrees here in New Jersey.
Speaker 2: And I related to lamont on Sanford and son, you know, the whole like wanting more for yourself, no matter where you happen to be from.
Speaker 1: Right, you know, right? And his actual first name, which I thought was interesting, was Grady.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Great, And there was the character a great friend of Red Sandford who was Grady, right, So I wonder if that was.
Speaker 2: Because it's not that common of a name. It really is not, so really it is not like even then, I don't think.
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, Sanfordan's son, I did not realize was only on between seventy two and seventy seven. Yeah, so about six year of sixth seasons. I guess part of that seasons maybe was Red Fox.
Speaker 2: Didn't want to be type cast as an old man because he wasn't as old as he played.
Speaker 1: No, he wasn't, was he He was not all that.
Speaker 2: Old, and he was starting to like get put in that box.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: And he was like I still got like host to fucking cocaine to snort that I can't be right right right, I'm not speaking out a term by saying that either he.
Speaker 1: Was yeah right, I remember he uh, Wanda Page right, Lawanda, Lawanda Page?
Speaker 2: What played his and esther? Well, his sister esther?
Speaker 1: No, No, his wife's sister, his dead wife who was because I'm coming, I'm coming Elizabeth Elizabeth? Yes, yes, and apparently and I don't remember when I heard.
Speaker 2: This, but she was filthy.
Speaker 1: Yah my god. She worked Dark Blue.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you that, Midnight Blue. Because I discovered on Apple Music all these old old school comedian sets, like I discovered Dick Gregory and Red Fox and and and hmmm, and I came across Lawanda Page and I was like, I okay, So when I was in college used to buy all these house tapes, and there was this one like Triple X house tape, and there was a set of Hers that was on there, and I was like, Okay, that's nasty, but you know I can handle that. It's it's kind of funny. And then I found an actual comedy album of hers.
Speaker 3: I couldn't listen to the whole thing.
Speaker 1: It was too much for me, really that much. I was like, God, damn, that offended your sensibility with.
Speaker 2: The where and the what until you fall in the witch and you're wiping it from what off your ooh child, I can't I might walk past the child or want to eat food later, I can't listen to them.
Speaker 1: Right, That's funny because not many comedians worked filthy.
Speaker 2: That was philth A. I have never heard any comic more dirty than Lawanda Page.
Speaker 1: And I never knew that.
Speaker 3: And that's that's oh that's handsome ship.
Speaker 1: I never knew that. But yeah, I remember that. I think I think we talked about that when she died. Yeah, that they you know, people were talking about this early days.
Speaker 2: She also did. She was a talented burlesque performer who.
Speaker 1: Okay, well they used to call us party albums. I think to the comedy albums that were.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that album would bring the party to a screeching, fucking.
Speaker 1: Risque but not right yeah, because like.
Speaker 2: Bred Fox, that was a party album. Lawanda age is what you, I guess play to let people know it's time to go. I don't know.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Decanta jug Wine and the exhaustion of the Ancestors.
Speaker 2: I remember I watched, especially the first season of Top Model, Like Lisa and I had a standing date at her apartment where I would come and we would watch this show and it was just like, you know, this is the early days of reality television. So it was the Wow wild West Child and you know, seeing these young girls be put through the ringer for the chance at a career as a model. And I realized that part of the reason why I accepted so much of the stuff that happened on this show was because at the time I was an up and coming artist trying to make my way in the dog eat dog world of performing arts. Sure, so you know the whole thing of like you got to pay your dues and these things you got to do, and this things you got to put up with, and you know, you can't complain and you can't bitch, and you got to do this, and you gotta do this.
Speaker 1: So like all that just aligned thing raped on cameras shouldn't be one of.
Speaker 3: Them, thank you.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so so many things came out that happened to these girls in the process of making the show, and you know, a lot of it just wasn't cool. And it was supposed to be. It was supposed to be a rejection of the fashion world at the time. Well, at the same time, it was a reflection of the fashion world.
Speaker 1: It really was, because you know, while that there was lip service page to this, you know, I don't know, being some new frontier, I heard an awful lot about that's the way things are. Yeah, that was confusing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like Tyra claimed that her whole reason for starting the show was to show the fashion world that there's more than one body type, there's more than one skin color, there's more than one look, right, and then as she was quickly reminded she was making a fucking television show. So all of a sudden, you know, oh, you have to watch your weight, Oh you need to look like this, right, It's like, oh, five seconds ago you said, oh, okay, and these girls are just gonna do whatever they are told.
Speaker 1: As children looked like they had not how to meal, and.
Speaker 2: Exactly like the PLU because I remember, like every season there's always one plus size model, at least one plus size model, and looking back, I'm like, she's plus size in that she's a size sex right, right, And that was fucked up because one of the girls was talking about and there was one plus size model that actually won like far now in line when I had no longer been watching the show, and she was talking about how you know she's being uplifted as like, you know, you're doing this for the big girls, and this for the plus size models. But yet nowhere they sent her had clothes that fit her, you know, of course, and all of these challenges and all of these things were basically designed to break these girls down and.
Speaker 16: Right.
Speaker 2: And one of the things that that like totally horrified me was cycle two. I remember watching in real time with everyone else. The storyline of the girls were sent to Milan and they had to go on their go seas, and so each of the girls was assigned an Italian man on a vespa to take them to their go sees and so the challenge was they had to communicate with their guy because they didn't speak Italian and they didn't speak the guys didn't speak English. Had to get to their go season time and everything okay, fine. Then afterwards they come back to the house and oh, surprise, surprise, here's the guys again. And they're all like drinking and laughing and having a good time, and some of them are in the hot tub, and Shandy ends up like making out with one of the guys. And she has a boyfriend back in the States, and so you know, we're shown that, like, you know, they hook up, they have sex, and then she starts freaking out because she cheated on her boyfriend.
Speaker 1: That that is how it was all framed.
Speaker 2: That's how I remember seeing her moral failing on the television. Yes, right, and she was a wreck for cheating on her boyfriend. She you know, called her boyfriend, who handled it very badly, called her a fucking bitch and all this stuff. When she broke down and told him that she cheated on him. Right, come to find out, what ended up happening was she was sexually assaulted by this young man.
Speaker 1: Her account at this point is very different from what was their yet, right, and that she you know, and they filmed it all right, They kept filming copious amounts of alcohol, no food, right, and that she blacked out at some point and you know in the hot time, she doesn't no memory.
Speaker 2: She said, at one point, I could feel that sex was happening, but I wasn't aware of what was going on. That's rape, yeah, period, And they filmed it so and I'm sitting here like, oh my god, oh my god, because a that's what happened to her, and be the way they framed it, because like I said, I remember being like, why is she like reacting so like this so dramatically over you know she hooked up with because you know, I'm thinking, like, you're an eighteen year old girl, you're on top model, you're in Milan, you hooked up with an Italian dude after being in a photo shoot. Like, okay, you cheated on your boyfriend. But girl, come on now, I understand that's not why she was upset. That's horrifying. Full Circle is a Never Skurred Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, produced and edited by Never Scured Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Berries. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders.