Speaker 1: If you are a follower of Jesus Christ, you are a representative of Jesus Christ. You are an ambassador. You have an assignment, and your assignment is to build relationships. Now, if you're going to follow Jesus as an ambassador, it's going to have to affect the way you live. It's going to radically change the way you live. In fact, the Bible says this Philippians one twenty seven. Be sure that you live in a way that brings honor to the good News of Christ. Says if you're going to be ambassador, you're going to be a representative of Jesus. You got to live like it. You can't just name the name without playing the game. You've got to back it up with your life. I think it's a good phrase we need to ask ourselves quite frequently as we get up in the morning, when you're getting going out for the days, Remember who you represent when you're out playing a pickup game of ball. Remember who you represent. When you go into a grocery store or a theater, or you're in line with traffic. Remember who you represent when you're frustrated with a clerk and you want to chew them out. Remember who you represent. If you name the name of Christ, the Bible says, you are an ambassador of Jesus. Now, the Bible says in Ephesians, chapter four of this.
Speaker 2: Live a life.
Speaker 1: Worthy of the calling you have received as an ambassador. You have three responsibilities here on earth, and these are the things that God wants you to do as an ambassador. Number one, I must be an example. I must set an example for other people. The first thing God wants you to do is help other people know what God is like by being example of his character qualities love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, faithfulness, kindness, meekness, self control. Now, the Bible says this in One Peter chapter two. People who do not believe are living all around you. That's kind of obvious. People who do not believe are living all around you, and they might say you're doing wrong. So live such good lives that they'll see the good things you do and will give glory to God. What's he saying there? The first job of an ambassador, whether it's of a country or of Jesus, is you set a good example. What if you lived your life like that that you realize that you're always on as an ambassador of Jesus Christ, then no matter where you go, you are the only Christians some people will ever know that the people around you, you're the only Bible that they will ever read. You are a living Bible. And as a representative of Jesus Christ, as an ambassador of Jesus, you're either a Bible or you're a libel. You either make God look good or you make God look bad. And there's plenty of Christians who make God look bad. Would you agree with that? And they say stupid things, and they're dogmatic, and they're mean and they're cranky, and that's not a good day.
Speaker 2: See, there are two.
Speaker 1: Reasons why people don't know the Lord. One of them is they've never met a Christian and the other is they have. And they say, if that's what a follower of Jesus is, no thanks God. And so you need to realize that your life is to be an example in everything you do. When my kids were growing up, particularly in the teenage years, it used to bug them that I greeted everybody no matter wherever we went, you know, they said, Dad, do you always have to smile at everybody? I mean, you're in the grocery store and you're talking to people, and you're greeting people. And doesn't matter if we're at the theater or we're at a baseball game, or you know, we're driving down the street, or you smile at everybody.
Speaker 2: You have to always smile. I said, I'm an ambassador. That's true.
Speaker 1: I'm an ambassador not because I'm a pastor, but because I'm a follower of Jesus Christ. And there are people out there in the community go, I know who that guy is. That's Rick, and they want to know he does his walk matches talk. Is he two different ways? One way at church and another way in the community. Is he genuinely kind to everybody? Is he friendly? Is he compassionate? Is he merciful? Is he polite? Does he take it into consideration other peopleeople's feelings. I am an ambassador of Jesus Christ, and so are you. And people are watching you all the time. So you must set an example. So my question is how well does your daily life represent Jesus? Can anybody tell from your example what God is like? I mean, if they look at you where they say, you know what, Jesus must be very kind because that guy's kind or she's kind. Jesus must be very patient because Jesus is in his life and he's patient. Jesus must be very forgiving because that guy doesn't hold it against you. He's forgiving. He returns good for evil. What does your life say about God to the people around you? You may not like it, but if you claim to be a follower of Christ, you are an ambassador. You may be a lousy one or you may be a good one, but you are an ambassador. You represent Jesus in everything you do, whether you like it or not. So the first thing is I must set an example. Second responsibility of an ambassador, I must share the message. I have a message that God has given me, and he wants me to share it with other people. That's interesting that in politics or in diplomacy, ambassadors are often used in history to end wars. Ambassadors are sent to negotiate the peace. Ambassadors are sent to sign the treaties. Ambassadors are sent to bring a reconciliation between warring entities and conflicting groups. And it's not an accident that God shows that term to refer to you.
Speaker 2: Where to help people make peace with God?
Speaker 1: Where to help people reconcile their relationship to God to help people.
Speaker 2: Make their peace with Him.
Speaker 1: Now, God is very clear about the message he expects you to share, so let's read it. Tewo Corinthians, chapter five, verses seventeen and nineteen says this, anybody, anyone who is joined to Christ becomes a new person. The old is gone, he says. You know, all your past is wiped out, forgiven, forgotten. You get a clear conscience. He says, you get a chance to start over. And most of the world is hungry for that. They want to know, how do I get rid of guilt? How do I get rid of shame? How do I get rid of regrets? He says, anybody who's joined to Christ becomes a new person. You get a fresh start in life. It's like being born a second time. In fact, the Bible calls it being born again. It's like getting a fresh start. All this is done by God in the words you don't do it, who through Christ changed us from enemies into his friends and gave us the task of making others his friends. Also, that's our task as ambassadors, to make others the friends of God. Our message, here's the message is that God was making all human beings as friends through Christ.
Speaker 2: That's why I sent Jesus.
Speaker 1: God did not keep an account of their sins. He forgave it all, and He's given us the message which tells how he makes them his friends. This passage is filled with spiritual truth. So let me point out a couple of things. Number one, the first part of our message is this, Jesus offers everybody a new life, so that anybody whos joined to Christ becomes a new person. This is the message of regeneration, the message of a new birth, or message of you get a brand new life. Would you like a chance to start over? Ever been halfway through painting a room? He said, wish I could start over, halfway climbing up a mountain, Wish I could start over? Halfway through life? Go wish I could start over? God says, you can. I'll give you a brand new life. Jesus offers everybody in new life. Second part of our message is Jesus ends our war with God. Did you know that you're at war with God until you.
Speaker 2: Make peace with him?
Speaker 1: Where's the war? The war is the conflict in your soul on who's going to be God? You are God? And the Bible says every human being and all of humanity is in rebellion against God because I want to be God. I don't want God run in my life. I want to run my life. I want to make my decisions. I don't want God telling me what to do. I want to do what I want to do. That is the attitude that got Satan kicked out of heaven. It's pride. The middle letter of pride is I, and the middle letter of sin is I. And he's saying, it is I that causes my problems, and that rebellion against God puts me at war with God. You may not realize it, but you're at war with God until you accept what Christ has done for you. And that conflict causes all of the problems in your life. This unknown stress, the subconscious pressure, the guilt, the the anxiety, all those different things come from being out of whack with your creator.
Speaker 3: You know this. Christmas, you can enjoy the beauty of God's word with a brand new set of fifty two stunning scripture cards, each featuring verses about the birth of Christ and adorned with elegant Christmas artwork. These are perfect for memorizing scripture, tucking into gifts or placing on your holiday table. These cards are a simple way to bring meaning to the season and share God's love with those around you. So whether you're starting a new tradition or looking for a unique way to share the Gospel with friends and family, well, these cards are a perfect fit today. When you give a gift to help Daily Hope take the certain Hope of Jesus to people worldwide, be sure to request this very special collection of Christmas scripture cards. It's our way of saying thanks for supporting Daily Hope.
Speaker 1: And so he says, we're at war with God. But God says God wants us, says its friends. That's the message of reconciliation. And then he says the third thing here, all of our war crimes have been forgiven. God just wipes him out. That's salvation. How does God do this? He does it through Jesus, and he does it out of love. Look of the next couple verses. God was in Christ making peace between the world and himself. That's what Jesus died for. In Christ. God did not hold the world guilty of its sin. That's good news. And he gave us this message of peace. God has said, we have a message of reconciliation. We have a message of peace. We have a message that says the warring parties are being brought together. God did not hold the world guilty of its sin, and he gave us the message of peace. So we have been sent to speak for Christ. It is as if God is calling to you through us. We speak for Christ talking about every believer when we beg you to be at peace of God. Christ had no sin, but God made him become sin so that in Christ we could become right with God. In other words, God took all of our badness. God took it out of us and poured it on Christ. And he took of all of good Christ's goodness and poured it into us. And he said that made the peace. And we are workers together with God. And once you circle the phrase we've been sent to speak for Christ. That's the second thing we do as ambassadors. We share the message. Anybody bought a car in the last two or three years to see your hands, Okay, everybody's bought a car probably at some point. Do you know this game that they play where you go to like a car dealership and you find the car you want, and the young you know, salesman is there, and then they take you inside and you sit down in the showroom and you start the deal and how much you're going to give me for my car, and how much you're gonna cut off the price of that car, and you think you got a deal, and all of a sudden, the salesman goes, excuse me, I have to go check with the manager, you know I'm talking about, And they play this game and it's a good cop bad cop. I really want to give it to you like this, but I got to go check with the manager. So they go back into the inner sanctum where you can't go, and they're there for a little bit, and they wait along for a while, you know, And then they come back out and say, well, you know, I'm sorry, but my manager won't let me give this.
Speaker 2: We're all good.
Speaker 1: Well, then I'm going to go and win it. You're not authorized to close the deal. Then I don't want to talk to you. I want to talk to the manager because I don't want to play this game of good cop bad cop. Of I'd really like to help you, but the bad guy won't let me. So let me just talk to the manager. And this little game of give and take there means that I say, if you're not authorized to close the deal, why am I talking to you? Let me talk to the guys is authorized to close the deal. Here's the amazing thing. When it comes to offering the deal of salvation.
Speaker 2: You you, you are authorized to close the deal. You don't have to go to the manager in the back office.
Speaker 1: You can say to anybody, I'm an ambassador of Jesus Christ and i am a plury potent potentiary, which means I'm authorized to make the offer in Jesus's name, and I don't have to go check with anybody else. And here's the offer. All your sins from your past can be forgiven. You get a purpose for living, You get a home in heaven, and God promises to take care of your life here on earth until he takes you home to heaven. If you put your trust in faith in Jesus Christ, that's the deal, and you don't have to go check with anybody else. You are the ambassador. God has authorized every one of his children to speak on his behalf and to make that offer and to not have to go say, well, let me go get my priest's opinion, or let me go get my pastor's opinion, or let me go get somebody else's authority. No, no, you have been given the authority to close the deal, to make the offer of the message of peace to anybody out there. Would you like to have your sins forgiven? I can offer that to you to Jesus Christ. Would you like to have a home in heaven. I can offer that to you in Jesus Christ. And I don't have to check with anybody else, because you are an ambassador. Number three, the third responsibility of an ambassador. Number one, I must set the example. I must share the message. I must show love. I must show love to everybody. Because if you're an ambassador, you've got to have a big heart and you got to show love. Why must an ambassador of Jesus Christ show love to everybody? Because God is love and if you show anything but love to other people, you're not representing Jesus. God is love. Now, how do I show love to the people in my life? The people I work with, my neighbors, my family, my coworkers, my enemies, my boss.
Speaker 2: How do I do it? Three ways? It's the next three verses.
Speaker 1: The first way I show love is by using my life life to meet others' needs. When you use your life to meet the needs of other people in a practical way, whether it's taking them a meal, or helping them with a project, or offering them a ride, or praying for them, or you know, picking up something at the grocery thing, or helping them with a plan or a deal. Every time you do practical help to somebody else, you serve others, you're ministering to them. You're showing love to meet their needs. Now, this is what an ambassador does. The Bible says this. In First Essalonians two. Paul says, we loved you so much. He's talking about the people in this town in Greece called Thessalonika. He said, we loved you so much that we gave you not only God's good news that's number two, but number three our own lives as well. Now, if you're going to be an ambassador, some of the time you got to get out of the embassy.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: If you spend all your whole Christian life is spent inside the four walls of the church, you're not much of an ambassador. You've got to get out where people are hurting, where they're needed, where they're love, need love, and now they need help and concern. So you've got to get out out of the embassy and into the interior, using my life to meet others need. Second way, you show love by giving respect to everyone. By giving respect to everyone, as an ambassador of Jesus Christ, you are not allowed to be disrespectful to anyone. Why because God values every person. Doesn't matter who they are, what they've done, who they've done it with, or how long they've done it. They have the dignity of being created in the image of God, and the Bible says this on the screen one Peter two seventeen.
Speaker 2: Treat everyone you like with dignity or doesn't say that?
Speaker 1: Does it treat everyone you agree with politically with dignity? No, it says treat everyone you meet with dignity. That means even the people who voted differently than you, you may not put them down. You may not use sarcasm and slice and dice and use the same kind of words that the world does for people you disagree with. Treat everyone you meet with dignity, Love your spiritual family, revere God, and respect the government. That doesn't say respect the government. If you voted for him, you didn't. Maybe you didn't vote for the city council, you still need to respect them. Maybe you didn't vote for the governor, you still don't respect them. Senator President whoever, it doesn't matter me. The Bible says respect the government. Why because as representatives of Jesus, we show dignity to everybody. Everyone, We show love and kindness. Let me ask you, this is an ambassador dogmatic or diplomatic, diplomatic They don't stay as ambassadors very long if they're not diplomatic. When you find a dogmatic Christian, they are not an ambassador of Jesus.
Speaker 2: They may be on the radio.
Speaker 1: They may be on television, they may write books or blogs or whatever. If they're dogmatic, they may be right, but they're wrong because they're not being diplomatic. The Bible says we're to do everything in love. We're to respect everyone, doesn't matter who they are, what they are, what they've done. I don't know if you've noticed this or not, but most of the time when I'm not at saddleback, I'm speaking to people who totally disagree with me. Almost all the time, I'm speaking to groups, and that gets me in a lot of trouble. Okay, I speak to other religions, to atheists, to Muslims, to Jewish, to Buddhist, to secularists, to gay groups to I speak most of the time when I'm not saddled back to groups who totally disagree with me. Why Because I am an ambassador. That's my job. And you are an ambassador too. You know, no matter how bad things seem, you can always trust that God is active in your life, working things out for the good. While you are waiting. God is working. God always has your best interest at heart. He's a good God. Today, I want to give you the example from a note that I got from a young man named Tyler, who has seen how God is always there even when circumstances seemed to be their worst. Tyler wrote me, said, you know, Rick, I haven't had a close relationship with Christ. But then several events occurred in my life all at once. First, my girlfriend broke up with me and that was the biggest heartache that I could imagine for both of us. Then my friends left for college the same week, and third, my dad left for California to start a new job, leaving me in Ohio. All of this hit me at once, and I was a complete mess. But with guidance from others and realizing this was a scheduled appointment from God himself, I found Christ through your Daily Hope podcast and through prayer and in going to church, I finally found the joy in my life again. And I'm a changed person. Every day now. I listened to you, Rick, and I read my daily devotional, and I look at life with a whole new perspective. You know, before I was living for me, I wasn't living for God. But this journey has been so amazing. God is so good and the best part is that I can wake up every day knowing that He loves me and will listen to me, and that Jesus Christ will take my worries from me. I'm so thankful Rick, that God woke me up and changed me into a better and healthier person that I am today. And I'm thankful for my savior, Jesus Christ. So God bless you well. Thanks Tyler, Thanks for writing that encouraging letter. You have experienced firsthand how much God cares for you, even in the smallest details of your life, and through this what was a very difficult season. He led you to Jesus, the greatest gift you could ever receive. So did you know that the Bible says in Luke fifteen, right now, all of Heaven is rejoicing because you're a part of God family. The Bible says they have a party in heaven every time one person steps across the line.
Speaker 2: And what that.
Speaker 1: Means that you and I are now brothers. Did you know that we're brothers in Christ? And your church family are your brothers and sisters here to walk alongside you. So, Tyler, welcome to the Family of God. And as you grow in your faith, staying connected with a strong church community is so so important. I want you to surround yourself with people who will encourage you in the Lord, who will pray for you, who will help you stay strong in your journey with Jesus, and just watch and see how God moves in your life as you faithfully follow Him into your future. By the way, you also mentioned that you listen to the Daily Hope podcast. For anybody who hasn't checked that out yet, it is completely free. It's completely available on all major platforms. It's on Apple Podcasts, it's on Spotify, It's on wherever you get your podcasts. You can also listen anytime by just going to a pastor Rick dot com on the internet. Now, friends, we're able to share daily hope with people around the world because of your generosity listeners just like you, So let me just stay here.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot, Thanks for being a part of this community. Thanks for your contributions to care for other people so that they could get the word of God and build the hope that they need. And they can keep seeking God and He will guide them.
Speaker 2: God let him you know.
Speaker 3: This Christmas, you can enjoy the beauty of God's Word with a brand new set of fifty two stunning scripture cards, each featuring verses about the birth of Christ and adorned with elegant Christmas artwork. Are perfect for memorizing scripture, tucking into gifts, or placing on your holiday table. These cards are a simple way to bring meaning to the season and share God's love with those around you. So whether you're starting a new tradition or looking for a unique way to share the Gospel with friends and family, well, these cards are a perfect fit today when you give a gift to help daily Hope take the certain hope of Jesus to people worldwide. Be sure to request this very special collection of Christmas scripture cards. It's our way of saying thanks for supporting Daily Hope