Speaker 1: The Magnificent Montcule, stirring Marty Wolle Yes, it's the Magnificent Monlegule. The Saturday Night Transcribe feature on NBC's All Star Festival of Comedy, Music, Mystery and Drama, brought to you by Chesterfield. Always Milder, better tasting, coolest smoking plus no unpleasant after taste by Addison for fast relief from pain of headache, New writers in Neuralgia and by RCA Victor world leader in radio, first in recorded music, and first in television.
Speaker 2: Before we hear from the.
Speaker 1: Magnificent Monticule, let's hear from Chesterfield.
Speaker 2: You see it in the newspapers.
Speaker 3: No unpleasant after teast, you hear it on the radio, No unpleasant after teath, you see it on television, No unpleasant after.
Speaker 4: Taste when you smoke Chesterfields.
Speaker 3: It's the biggest plus in cigarette history.
Speaker 2: Science discovered it.
Speaker 5: You can prove it.
Speaker 3: Science discovered that of all brands tested, Chesterfield and only Chesterfield leaves no unpleasant aftertaste.
Speaker 5: Prove it yourself. Smoke a pack of Chesterfields.
Speaker 3: They're always milder, better tasting, cooler smoking, and Chesterfields is the cigarette.
Speaker 5: That leaves no unpleasant aftertaste.
Speaker 3: That's the biggest plus in cigarette history.
Speaker 5: No unpleasant aftertaste.
Speaker 3: Science discovered it. Prove it yourself by Chesterfields today.
Speaker 1: Allow the Magnificent Lautagule. Although Edwin the Magnificent Molegule left the States to become Uncle good Heart, here off an Afternott Radio, for he has remained a member and the moving force of the Proscenium Club. That's stalwart organization of Shakespearean actors who live in an unemployed world of their own all year long. The Proscenium Club waits for their one big event, their annual Fourth of July picnic and outing at Shakespeare Grove.
Speaker 2: It is the morning of the great event.
Speaker 1: In the Boticu apartment, his wife Lily and Agnes the maid are making up lunch baskets.
Speaker 2: Agnes is very happy.
Speaker 6: Have you got the mustard, mustard, mustard? Have you got the pickles, pickles, pickles? Have you got the elish wellish rellish?
Speaker 7: Have you got that ragness?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Honey?
Speaker 7: Oh do you have a lunch basket almost packed?
Speaker 2: What a picnic?
Speaker 6: Look at this food, fried chicken, potato, salad, deviled eggs, chocolate cake, boieah, those ants are gonna.
Speaker 7: Live oh everything looks so wait egg news. Why, honey, I just remembered Edwin hates deviled eggs, So what little spoiled the picnic for him?
Speaker 5: What picnic?
Speaker 7: Isn't that lunch for the Prosinium Club Fourth of July picnic?
Speaker 9: Are you kiddness?
Speaker 7: Is the my picnic? Your picture?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: My social club?
Speaker 6: The unattached girls of East thirty seventh Streets throwing one.
Speaker 7: Dear, I thought that lunch was.
Speaker 6: I don't worry, I'll fix in one right now. Oh good, have I got the poison? Poison poisons? The r snake, ar snake, ar snake?
Speaker 7: Why'd you come along with us?
Speaker 2: Honey?
Speaker 6: Please don't trap me into one of those outdoor memorial services. The Proscenium Club calls a picnic.
Speaker 7: But was great fun that picnic with Edwin's old actor friend.
Speaker 6: Fun with those stuffy old actors.
Speaker 7: Because you know on the picnic they're very informal.
Speaker 6: Oh they're a real fun loving bunch of madcaps, sitting around under the trees with their spats on buttons.
Speaker 5: Miss.
Speaker 6: You know, there's always swimming, now, that's worth saying. The swimming suit says, old foggies, climb into it.
Speaker 7: May be a little conservative and old fashion.
Speaker 6: Whatever it is, it's the only place you can still see a double breasted bath and sit with a belt in the back. Oh, come now an the campfire with those long, dull recitations from Shakespeare. And then your husband takes over with his annual rendering of hamlets. Soilloquy. I can still hear the voice ringing through the woods. It really gets them at Moss last year, two hundred moose came running looking for me.
Speaker 7: Oh, it won't be the same without you.
Speaker 6: Now, honey, I'm all set to go. The unattached girls of East thirty seventh Street. The entertainment committees land up a boat ride up to Bear Mountain. The invitation says, campfire songs.
Speaker 7: And dancing dancing at Bear Mountain.
Speaker 6: Oh, then you all have dates dates those girls you can Who are you going to dance with the bears?
Speaker 7: I guess, oh.
Speaker 2: Brailer bears.
Speaker 6: Get aload of my club. There'll be on early hibernation this year.
Speaker 7: Oh, I come along to the Passonium Club picnic with us. Agnes Edwin will be Oh, I hear him.
Speaker 6: He now comes the warming of the magnificent mined Use.
Speaker 8: Time are y go on your shoulda Agnes her good morning the mor Edwin, Dad, you look lovely this morning, the live.
Speaker 6: Good morning, mister Montague gad.
Speaker 7: Oh, Now when Agnes is very attractive this morning?
Speaker 5: Attractive?
Speaker 8: They must she always wear those curlors in her hair when she's trying to attract lightning.
Speaker 6: Look who's talking about beauty? The face with the hanging gardens.
Speaker 7: Oh, please stop, both of you.
Speaker 6: It's so nice to have a man around the house, and we're stuck with a monster.
Speaker 8: Ah independence dare this is the beginning of the fourth Must we have a maid who talks as if she'd just finished.
Speaker 5: The fifth.
Speaker 7: Answer?
Speaker 8: Bring in Edwin's breakfast, breakfast my morning, tussle with Tomay.
Speaker 7: Or start picking on her. You have a big day in front of you. Right after your radio broadcast this afternoon, we're going to the Proscenium Club and your picnic.
Speaker 8: Yesterday tonight around the campfire, with all my faithful friends at the stage around me, I can forget for a moment that I the magnificent money you deserted. The Yeta for radio from Hamlet to Uncle good Heart is five times a week.
Speaker 2: I a rug and.
Speaker 8: Peasants slave mind My offense's ranco, youthy, conscience villainy, I am my chief.
Speaker 9: What do you want with your eggs? Ham? I mean, what do you want with your eggs? Ham? Stop at the town.
Speaker 5: I missed that tongue of yours.
Speaker 2: Ever slept, it would have hit.
Speaker 5: The ground.
Speaker 10: Edwin.
Speaker 7: Don't feel Sodd'll you about going into radio tonight? When you give your annual reading of hamlets soliloquy, you'll again be the magnificent molecule. Don't you think you'd better rehearse it?
Speaker 8: I rehearse hamlets to the guirl A shame on you delay.
Speaker 2: I know that I know the back of my own hand.
Speaker 5: To be or not to be? That is the problem.
Speaker 7: That is the question.
Speaker 5: That is the question, whether it is safe on.
Speaker 8: In the mind, to no blu in the mind, no blow in the mind, to suffer the arrows and slings, swings and arrows of courageous possum, outrageous fortune, outrageous fortune. Ought to take arms against the pack of trouble, a sea of trouble, a mess of travel, a.
Speaker 5: Mess of trouble.
Speaker 8: That is fine fire today to sleep, to sleep, but chance to wait, per chance to dream, perchance.
Speaker 7: To dream, perchance.
Speaker 11: That's not.
Speaker 5: What go on.
Speaker 2: To sleep, to sleep, perchance to dream.
Speaker 8: Hey, there's the love, bra Edwin.
Speaker 5: And you thought I didn't remember it.
Speaker 6: Mister money, you sure know it like the back of.
Speaker 9: Your own hand.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 6: It must have been wearing gross for fifty years.
Speaker 8: Excuse be An for exposing your delicate brain to culture. Hereafter, with you in the room, we will only quote from the racing pall.
Speaker 7: Oh, never mind, Agnes said, when you sounded wonderful, they'll cheer you at the campfire tonight. Now, I've got to get things ready for the Picnica.
Speaker 5: Ed I'm not going.
Speaker 6: Edwin.
Speaker 7: Well, you have mister Prescinium Club Fourth of July picnic in your home.
Speaker 5: I know, but this year I can't face it. Edward. The club never found out I've deserted their ranks for the Gold Radio. I'm not going.
Speaker 7: It's a mockery when the Passenian Picnic is more than just a group of Shakespearean actors having an outing.
Speaker 5: I know, it's the fourth of July.
Speaker 7: It's more than just the date of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. It's where we first met and the day.
Speaker 2: It was signed.
Speaker 10: Fire Lily, Now I remember we.
Speaker 8: Did meet at a Presidium Club picnic.
Speaker 7: I was in the Gagatti's at the time and came to the picnic with one of the fellows in the show, and I was.
Speaker 5: Playing King Dere. Now what girl did I bring?
Speaker 7: Please? Remember we sat next to each other at the campfire, singing the big song of that year. Now, what was it?
Speaker 6: Marching to Georgia?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: I like mister for that.
Speaker 5: No Kennel ration for you tonight?
Speaker 7: Oh what a picnic that was? You were at me all day? Are you?
Speaker 5: How you ran from me? How are you acting so coy? You played so.
Speaker 6: Hard to get you, We're so hard to take.
Speaker 5: Please?
Speaker 7: These are our memories, oh Edwin. We must go to that picnic, lily.
Speaker 8: We'll find that same tree we carved our initials in that little brook you carried me across lay, the same tree, the same brook, same moon, the same two people.
Speaker 5: You and I young robbers.
Speaker 9: Who are.
Speaker 6: I'm just trying to help you recapture that mad moment?
Speaker 7: Oh yes, we were mad.
Speaker 6: Mad you must have done not.
Speaker 8: When we see that little tree again where we carved our initials, something new is going to be hanging from.
Speaker 7: It, and man, and you're going to the picnic, ed me.
Speaker 8: And I promise to kiss the moonlight from a certain beautiful lady.
Speaker 7: If a certain handsome and dashing gentleman is there to carry a certain lady across the brook again, how can I refuse?
Speaker 5: I'm going to be there.
Speaker 7: I'm going to be there.
Speaker 6: I'm going to be stick.
Speaker 5: I'll help me alive.
Speaker 7: Late to your broadcast, and we all have to get ready for the picnic.
Speaker 8: I'll pick you and Agnes up right after my broadcast.
Speaker 7: Oh, Edwin, Agnes can't go on the picnic with us.
Speaker 5: She can't.
Speaker 7: No, she's going up the river with her friends.
Speaker 5: I knew it. The Kala Committee is back.
Speaker 7: I know Edwin. Agnes has an outing of her own to go to for the first time. She won't be with us.
Speaker 8: Shakespeare, Grove and No, Agnes, this is really going to be a picnic.
Speaker 5: Goodbye.
Speaker 1: We'll be back with a magnificent molecule in just a moment. If you suffer from pains of headaches, neurritis, and euralgia, you.
Speaker 2: Should discover what many thousands have.
Speaker 1: Known for years, that Alison brings incredibly fast, effective relief.
Speaker 2: Alison is like a doctor's prescription.
Speaker 1: That is Alison contains not just one, but a combination of medically proven active ingredients.
Speaker 2: In easy to take tablet form. Probably at some time you have received an.
Speaker 1: Envelope containing Alison tablets from your physician au dentist. Thousands of people have been introduced to Alison this way. Try Alison yourself. The next time you suffer from the pains of a headache, neurritis, and euralgia. You'll be delighted at how quickly relieved can come. Alison is spelled anacin. Your druggist has Aison in handy boxes of twelve and thirty tablets and economical family sized bottles of fifty and one.
Speaker 2: Hundred for your medicine and cabinet.
Speaker 1: Ask for Alison today and I'll back to the magnificent Montago. When thoughts of the picnic on his mind, he is just finishing his uncle good Heart radio program.
Speaker 8: Listen, Come Ronald, All fun loving boys celebrate the Fourth of July. Some shoot firecrackers, some light the skyrockets you rubbled like to blow open bank.
Speaker 5: Say, dear listens, this is just an example of the trouble you can get into on fourth of July. That is why your.
Speaker 8: Uncle Goodheart has been urging you to spend the fourth of July.
Speaker 5: At home see from accidents, and you will live.
Speaker 8: Once again to greet the new day with your eyes high into the sun.
Speaker 1: And so ends another episode of Uncle Goodheart. And now stand by us, we announced the lucky winners of the Uncle Goodheart Letter Writing Conference.
Speaker 2: A prize winning letter on.
Speaker 1: The subject how I would spend the fourth of July at home with Uncle Goodhart was written in by mister and Missus Stonewall for two of Hemlock Hill, Tennessee. Mister and Missus Potuu are on their way to New York, all expenses paid to fulfill their heart's desire. They will spend the fourth of July in the happy home of Uncle Goodheart.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're off.
Speaker 8: The air, mister montagu good show.
Speaker 5: Oh that was abute? How do I keep out of jail?
Speaker 2: Ask our director?
Speaker 4: Mister Sinja had a lot of heart.
Speaker 2: To it, didn't it, Sinza three?
Speaker 11: That would they will do?
Speaker 9: There?
Speaker 5: Shot? Yes, Springer?
Speaker 2: What is he mumbling about?
Speaker 8: I distinctly heard the announcers as I think about someone winning a contest about the fourth of July. Oh, you mean the how I would spend by fourth of July and uncle good hearts, Oh.
Speaker 5: How I would spend by what with whom? Sinza?
Speaker 2: Didn't you explain?
Speaker 7: You tell him?
Speaker 5: Sinza?
Speaker 11: Dear well, you see, mister Montague, the people who won the contest get to spend fourth of July in your house.
Speaker 10: Don't hit me, Sinza.
Speaker 8: My home is not a one night stand but drooling idiots dragged in from the interlands by flugel soap.
Speaker 11: Yeah, but mister Montague, mister and missus Pettu won the contest in good faith.
Speaker 3: That was a national contest.
Speaker 4: The federal government have lost, guaranteeing a prize.
Speaker 8: Good Let the government be their host. Let the said blairhouse. Miss Montague, this will mean trouble for.
Speaker 5: You, and use the word loosely.
Speaker 8: I'm going out on a picnic today, a montacule.
Speaker 5: You can't go out.
Speaker 7: You've been campaigning for people to stay.
Speaker 4: Home on the fall.
Speaker 11: We announced the winner would spend the fourth of July with you and get everything they mentioned in the letter.
Speaker 5: Get everything they mentioned. Where's the letter? Read it? Go off?
Speaker 11: It says round about sundown, Ma and I would climb into our Sunday go to meet and clothes and show up at dear Uncle Goodheart's diggings. Yee Ma would give Uncle Goodheart's wife her own recipe for Southern Dixie gulash, which dear Aunt Goodheart would start cooking for dinner.
Speaker 4: Yea.
Speaker 11: Then we would all sit around the fireplace, singing, gossiping, and playing the melodeon, and just to sitting and listening to Uncle Goodheart's homie philosophy. Yea, din, mister and missus Stonewall put two.
Speaker 5: That's all mister it is?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Oh no, you think I'm tell you about pother do a sharecroppers villa. Mister Montague, you have a contract.
Speaker 5: I must go to my picnic.
Speaker 7: Mister Montague.
Speaker 4: They're coming in by bus after two days a knife riding.
Speaker 7: They'll be dead tired.
Speaker 11: They're probably falling sleep.
Speaker 5: Can't see it.
Speaker 8: Cousins there, when you get them all that bus, I want you to take them to sight see tight thing.
Speaker 11: In this heat, they won't make it fine.
Speaker 8: And you arrived my apartment with them at six o'clock when I opened the door, I want them to fall in out cold.
Speaker 7: If there was any other way, I think this is.
Speaker 6: A fine time to tell me to cancel my picnic. I got to write to lift too.
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 8: I told you were expecting, Missus Peto.
Speaker 7: I think it's shameful getting those people tired just so we can walk out on them.
Speaker 5: And what did you want me to do? Sit around all night with them? Hog calling?
Speaker 7: They kill them?
Speaker 8: Come blessings and the pattoos come in cinsa water, water fall, nursing. That's the water Cinsare you all right?
Speaker 11: I'm dehydrated walking walking in?
Speaker 5: That's easy, old man.
Speaker 8: There where are the patoos?
Speaker 6: Right here?
Speaker 11: Mister and missus Pattoo? This is Uncle good Heart.
Speaker 4: Howdy, it's Uncle good Heart?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What's that?
Speaker 11: That's the rebel yell, mister Montague. He does it every ten minutes. My ear drums went on the third one.
Speaker 8: Oh sinsor you're shocked, you're for a go.
Speaker 4: Uncle good Heart begging your pardon, sir. But it gives me great pride to present the little lady who I'm proud, might have proud or say, is my wife?
Speaker 6: Mma well land, if last week anyone was to tell me how he lived only yog and meet y'all, I want to say.
Speaker 4: You're just jes you get a b alright, she's a little loose in the lift.
Speaker 5: Well, where do we start?
Speaker 9: Uncle?
Speaker 8: I guess you're kind of tired.
Speaker 10: If you'd like to lie down, the beds are all.
Speaker 4: Uncle good Heart, But if you don't mind, I'll just stand stand. Been riding on a bus two days of free nights. I'm kind of saddle sore.
Speaker 5: If you get what I mean.
Speaker 9: I'll get them on crown.
Speaker 6: Why do Chelsea Fana come up to him on the box and this stranger set him all past?
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 5: She does take off?
Speaker 7: Did theos all?
Speaker 5: Why? Uncle good Heart? Don't tell me?
Speaker 4: This pretty little heifer sidling up to us is your wife, Andy good Heart?
Speaker 8: Yes, the pretty little heifer is by wife, the miss Pattoos.
Speaker 7: Welcome to New York and welcome to our home. I do declare.
Speaker 6: I thought when we left that little Mason Dixon and I, we left hospitality behind.
Speaker 9: And here y'all talk, I keep knows on order.
Speaker 4: Well, what are you women folks standing around?
Speaker 7: For get in the kitchen?
Speaker 6: Well, I got the beat out of elk. Stay here.
Speaker 4: This is Agnes well well, and am I half on the honor of meeting the fair daughter of your family?
Speaker 8: Mighty beautiful, I'm beautiful, my dear mister pittou, do declar you are stretching Southern.
Speaker 5: Shivelry to the breakhead. Pois, this is agnes.
Speaker 4: I made your maid got one of those. Huh your abe Lincoln took ours away?
Speaker 5: What are your plans? Uncle?
Speaker 8: Right now, I'm see you personally firing on Fort Sumter and started the whole wall over here?
Speaker 2: What are you?
Speaker 4: Women? Folks stand around here gassing for I'm hungry. My stomach's hollering. Send it down, boys, send it down. You're all gonna eat on a patoons tonight, just like I said in our letter, Mma, fetch me.
Speaker 5: The suitcase suitcase.
Speaker 10: Yes, we've brung our own victuals.
Speaker 4: Hey, missus, goodheart. In this suitcase, we got all the makings for MMA's Dixi goulash.
Speaker 2: It's shocked full.
Speaker 4: Of hogjowls, ton of greens, how many grits? Fat back Chitling's black eyed peas, And for flavoring a couple of squirrel hairs. Careful when you open it up, honey. Then riding on top of the bus for two days might be a little high.
Speaker 5: What's the matter, uncle? You look a little green? Love your rids.
Speaker 4: Can't wait to wrap your gums around.
Speaker 5: He tell us, missus, how to make it.
Speaker 7: Mma, let's goes.
Speaker 6: Okay, you don't mind if I eat the suitcase?
Speaker 5: Get Agnes.
Speaker 4: Now, let's sit down by the fireplace, like we said in the letter, and sing some of them oldies, but goodies.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm afraid I.
Speaker 4: You blue wrench mountains up Virginny on the trail.
Speaker 2: Of the Lord.
Speaker 4: Now that was a meal, How about it, missus goodheart? There's still one squirrel head left?
Speaker 7: No, thank you?
Speaker 5: Why honey, you.
Speaker 4: Didn't taste enough to keep a ball? We were crawling?
Speaker 5: Hey, whatever it did happen to Uncle good Heart?
Speaker 4: He swallowed one mouthful and took off like a hound dog dipped in turpentine.
Speaker 5: Don't explain it to him, emmy.
Speaker 7: He'll be out in the it of Agnes. Will you clear the table?
Speaker 2: Clare it?
Speaker 6: I wouldn't touch it.
Speaker 5: Here's uncle. Excuse me, excuse me.
Speaker 8: I'm still a little shaky, Lily, you would you step out here?
Speaker 2: What is it that, Lily?
Speaker 8: We've got to get them to sleep, Edwin.
Speaker 7: After that meal they put down, they can only stay awake another few minutes, Lily.
Speaker 5: We've got to put them to sleep.
Speaker 7: We'll do your hamlet soliloquy that hasn't missed yet.
Speaker 5: Look I saw him yawn. I'll go back mighty tired after that meeting. But out here take this easy chair, just sick into it.
Speaker 6: Usually after dinner, Stonewall usual just sets around, sucking on his teeth with his belt or and his stomach.
Speaker 7: Just a growl and the growl.
Speaker 5: Say how about another song?
Speaker 4: Camp down?
Speaker 8: Wait you just relax. Let me read you by philosophy, like you said to your letter. Have we hear a writer called Shakespeare?
Speaker 4: Shakespeare can't say that I have, but Am Mayor she was a high school teacher in Hemlock Hills, Am may you have a hell Shakespeare?
Speaker 7: No, but I weed the heap of reading out his robots.
Speaker 8: All right, Agnes, when you play the melode in the studio said.
Speaker 5: Just like we're asked for in the letter.
Speaker 8: Go ahead, Agnes, stand by with the pillows.
Speaker 10: Little mighty putty, isn't it, Am may.
Speaker 7: Whoa I do declare?
Speaker 5: I'm alright there.
Speaker 8: Remember relax, my dear mister missus patul Let me read you hamlets to the gay watch out, uncle lell Women in.
Speaker 5: The room listen, listen to be or not to be. That is the question, party.
Speaker 8: My party, whether it is noble in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows are rageous? Fortune to sleep, to sleep, the chance to dreams already?
Speaker 6: Congratulations, that's a new record.
Speaker 5: Let's call it.
Speaker 7: No, no, let's make sure they're asleep.
Speaker 8: Mister Petou, missus Patou, hit the maid, the lunch baskets on the picnic here, and let's.
Speaker 7: Go hurry out and coming.
Speaker 10: May is the old goat and his wife gone.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I thought we'd be hung up with him forever.
Speaker 9: Yea god.
Speaker 4: I Now let's celebrate the fourth as it should be celebrated, missus. But if you'll take my arm, we'll go out and get load dead. It's a glorious fourth in July.
Speaker 2: Here's a word from RCA Victor.
Speaker 1: It will pay you to remember this name, the RCA Victor Regency. Yes, remember the regency. Remember the regency. When you buy television. If it's value you want, remember the regency. If it's performance you want, remember the regency. And if it's quality you want, remember the regency. Here is the world's finest television RCA Victor seventeen inch million proof television quality proven in over two million homes television with the clearest, brightest, steadiest pictures ever. And the Regency is more than a television set. Its superb console cabinet is a fine furniture piece too, a magnificent example of RCA Victor craftsmanship that you'll be proud to have in your home. The Regency is available now. It's your RCA Victor. Dealers, ask for it by name. Yes, remember the Regency, the console television that brings you more for your money. Write that name down now, the RCA Victor Regency. Listen again next week's plans to the Magnificent Montague Stirring Matey Wale, the Saturday Night Transcribe feature on NBC's All Star Festival of Comedy, Music, Mystery and Drama, brought to you by Alison for Fast Relief from pain of headache neurritis in Euralgia and by RCA Victor world leader in radio, first and recorded music, and first in television. The Magnificent Montague was written by Nat Hiking and Billy Friedberg. Anne Seymour was Lily Pert Calton was Agnes. Also heard tonight for Art Conney, Johnny Gibson, John Griggs and Anne potoniac Jack Ward was at the organ. This is Don Pardo speaking