Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Mythic Mind, where we prodsue wisdom in the past between primary second eight worlds. Andrew Snyder and I'm glad that you're here. Hey, Roll, and welcome to our next book club conversation on Augustine's Confessions, Book three and four. I don't have a lot of front matter to provide you with for this episode, but there's one thing I want to mention is that I'm running a special right now where to reward all of my Tier three patrons, whether you pay annually, whether you pay monthly, I'm running a special bonus gift to you at this point, and so that if you are a Tier three patron by the end of this week, and so that would be by the twenty fourth of May twenty twenty five. If you are a Tier three patron by that point, then I'm going to provide you with a link for access to the Life, Death and Meeting with Beywolf and Boethia's course, which I ran last I think fall Winter around that time. It's an eight week course that has something like twenty four to twenty five videos attached to it that walk through the whole story of Beowulf, as well as Boethius's Constellation of Philosophy. And so if you again your Tier three member check Patreon, find that link and follow that link that will give you access to the Google classroom for that course. Now, once you take that link, you will have indefinite access to the course. However, that link will only be valid for this week, and then the invite link is going to change. And so if you are not already a Tier three Patreon, then go ahead and upgrade or sign up this week to get that access. But for now, let's go ahead and jump right into our conversation on a Gustin's Confessions book three and four. Wells jump right into it here. Talking about books three and four, this is I think we really start to really get into it as we get into Augustine himself. You know, the first couple of books are anyways just setting up what we're doing in orienting himself toward God. I mean, he goes a little bit into you know, some of his past, looking at the Pear incident, but even that's mostly to set up sort of theologically, like what his sin is, what temptation is, what sin is, and that's just kind of example. But now we're going a lot more more methodically through his life, kind of step by step with the progressions that he takes, and so right at the beginning of book three here we get this pretty just powerful diagnosis of his condition when he says, I came to Carthage, where a cauldron of illicit loves left and boiled about me. I was not yet in love, but I was in love with love, and from the very depth of my need, hated myself for not more keenly feeling the need. I saw some object to love, since I was thus in love with loving, and I hated security and a life with no snares from my feet. For within, I was hungry all for the want of that spiritual food, which is thyself, my God. And so he starts off by saying, like, I loved the idea of love, but I didn't yet recognize what love was for who love was for, And so he loved love while simultaneously hating himself. It kind of reminds me of what Tolkien says about Gollum about how he loved and hated the Ring as he loved and hated himself. It's because he didn't recognize the proper object of love. And then so from there on we just we get his his traveling and his restless heart, loving various things that he ought not loved with the Manicheans and whatnot. So I just I love the way he sets us up. But I'd love to hear some of your thoughts. And I'm going to use the word love apparently as many times as they can. Right, Uh, Kyle, you're umueded. Tell us something about book three?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Uh, I actually don't know. If there was book three, I might have been thinking about book four, just going further along that same theme. But it's really interesting, like he sees his life so clearly in hindsight, because even in even in book three or book four, I think it's like, if you love material things, love them and that they are in God, rather than love them for themselves. And so it's like there is a it's like it's not like there's a true dignity and the things in themselves they're good in and of themselves. But if you stop there, you're it's still vain, it's still empty, you know. It's it's like Ecclesiastes, Solomon or the Teacher, and it's just like this, there's no there's no value here unless you follow these things towards their tell us. And I, oh, gosh, I don't remember who it was. I was listening to a conversation maybe two months ago, and it was about how aros is meant to be a ladder towards one of the other forms of love, and that Aros is sort of like that that earthly affection we have, but it's always just meant to be that compass that points us towards that love for God. And he seems to like here in the beginning of book three, he's showing like he's not he's not looking at the like, he's not looking where they're pointing. He's just looking at the things themselves. And he sees how clearly in hindsight, how why that's what left him empty.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And the way that you phrase about how aroos is meant to lead to the higher divine love, I mean, honestly, I could equally be said by C. S. Lewis or Plato himself. In the symposium, the idea was that the lesser love of things like Aros are meant to lead us to the higher love of the good. That when we love the good, well, now we have the proper perspective for loving good things, whereas when you love good things separate from the good, we lose the good that makes good things good. And in so doing, the things themselves may still be good, but our desires are evil because they're turned away from the good. Right. That's a very platonic way of seeing things, and especially in Augustine way of seeing things. Who you know, Augustine's going to reteem redeem the material world and see that a little bit better than playto himself does, because he recognizes like anything that exists exists by the will of God. Therefore existence itself is good. You know, I'm still wrapping up some of the Tolkien materials, so I've got Tolkien still running through my mind here. But you know, Tolkien says that, you know, he doesn't believe in absolute evil. Yeah, absolute evil would be non being.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember Freeman touches on that in Tolkien dogmatics, like, there's no such thing as as just the total deprivation of good, like all things being God's creation. Just there's there's some virtue that's that's given to all things, even if it's just in the goodness. What was it?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I was reading paradise lost yesterday for the course on Wednesday. And it's interesting because Satan is saying in Book one, he's like, God has given us our mental capacity so that we would feel our pains more fully, right, because it is a good thing that justice would be done. And so even though even though like Satan is an object of wrath, there is a total goodness in his preserved acuity, his preserved perception and all that, so that he can receive wrath more fully. So there's no such things as that complete absence.
Speaker 1: Right, which is why you know in the inferno that that hell is frozen over because it's as close to non being as you can get, but it's still there, that there was still a thing that we're talking about. And so yeah, so being itself is good, and that actually is a I think I believe that is a Christian philosophical position that I don't know theologically how you get out of that. Recognizing that you know, all things are you know, from God, and all things are held together by God, existence itself is fundamentally good, which really, if we believe that, then we have reason for joy at simply being itself, regardless of particular circumstances. This is why this idea is going to get a lot of play in Boethius a little bit later on in time, that Boethius can say that, no matter how much injustice I'm facing right now, the fact that I'm here able to recognize injustice means that high exist, and existence is good existence. The affirmation of existence provides a straight line to the beatific vision followed, you know fully, to its course or to its source, kind of same thing, beginning and end. And so this, this idea that being is fundamentally good, it gets a lot of play in medieval Christian philosophy. And I think that's one reason why you know, as much as as you know, we we talk about the dark ages. I think philosophically, these are the bright ages. They make so much, give so much priority, just the luminosity of existence, and I think that's something that can deeply enrich and really re enchant our lives. I often quote this, this Thomas Aquinas line when he says that all the efforts of the human mind cannot exhaust the essence of a single fly like existence is far more wondrous than we tend to think. It just it's just it's marvelous, all right, reach why you share something with us about and thing from from the section of reading whatever foot to boot.
Speaker 3: I was meant to reread it last night, but I took my book to Bible College and I'll just finish off. I was reading, like Luther's one of his books, and I just kept going on and I don't know.
Speaker 2: So I didn't.
Speaker 1: I got my reading done. Thing you need but fair enough. I mean Augustine Confessions, Augustinian Monk. I mean, you know it works, They're.
Speaker 3: All write right, But just flicking through I kind of I found it quite interesting his fascination with the theater and the performances and that sort of really.
Speaker 1: So I've got lots of kids around at the moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just being really like emotionally invested in these theatrical performances. Just Luke, can you take your Pokemon somewhere else? Do you do courses on Pokemons?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Give it time, give it time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I just thought like, in a similar way, how much we watch TV shows or films and things for entertainment, and we we love them but hate them for the emotions that they bring out of us. Yeah, I think it's I guess it's similar in this, you know, it's like fifteen hundred years ago more similar. Similar entertainment can bring out a similar response in human kind.
Speaker 1: We're not all that different. No, that's absolutely true that human nature has not fundamentally change, and even the ways that we engage in entertainment is not fundamentally change. I mean it's changed in form, but not so much in substance. And I do think he makes some important points there regarding the theater, regarding you know, literature that he was taught to, you know, to pity, you know that the characters in the play, to mourn for these characters, these fictional characters. But that's kind of where it ended. The idea of Catharsis is that you're supposed to sort of let something out in a way that allows you to actually better integrate your own psyche together. But what he was doing, and what we often tend to do, is, I mean, we might sympathize with a you know, some situation in a show we're watching, but we don't take that step further and actually recognize what this means for us. We don't mourn for ourselves in the appropriate way. We don't sorrow for ourselves in the appropriate way, And so I do think he makes some pretty important points regarding the way that we engage with entertainment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I'll keep skin reading.
Speaker 1: Perfect perfect, all right, Chase, what do you have for us?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I like that.
Speaker 5: His kind of use on the plays and break him down why I enjoyed it and kind of why people he thought people enjoyed it.
Speaker 4: How he just talks.
Speaker 5: About how is it that a man wants to be made sad by the side of tragic sufferings that he could not bear his own person. I think he definitely picks on something good where sometimes we almost want to see like a sometimes like a train wreck or something go bad in somebody else's life that we can pity them, but also kind of realized, like which is something that's a bad feeling to have, But you're like, you know, like, oh, other people go through suffering too, right, And it's it's weird that we feel that way sometimes, And he later on says, may it be that whereas no one wants to be miserable, there is real pleasure in pitying others, and we love their sorrows because without them we should have nothing. We should have nothing to pity. Yeah, And then he follows it up with some imagery of kind of not wanting them to bite too deep the sorrows, but just to scratch his heart basically causes information and sores and us flowing and just kind of pondering if that's even a life to have, you know, the life that he was living, was it even a life?
Speaker 2: Cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just it's a great commentary on the superficial. He talks about how, you know, he used to pity characters in a stage play who lost something that made them happy, but then he learned that, no, what I need to pity is not just when people lose things that make them happy. Oftentimes, do I need to do is pity people because they're happy, he says, But today I have more pity for the sinner getting enjoyment from his sin, then when he suffers the torment from the loss of pleasure which is ultimately destructive, and the loss of happiness, which is only misery. This is clearly the truer compassion. But the sorrow I feel him gives me no pleasure. And so, you know, he used to feel sorry for people when you know they lose the things that make them happy. Now he sorrows for people who, in their happiness don't recognize their misery, don't recognize their sin, because it's exactly where he was, right, he didn't recognize what his misery truly was. And so now he has a new kind of perspective. You know, it makes me think of and you know, it's getting a little bitead to the next course that I'll be teaching. But you know, to Plato's allegory of the cave that you know, when the guy gets out that now he has not pride in that judgment of those who are still stuck in the cave, but now he has pity for them. He has compassion for them, and he's able to willingly now to send back into the darkness out of pity for those who are where he was. And so you know, we see this idea in Plato, but I think even more profoundly in Augustine, of pity for those who don't recognize their pitiable state. You know, Augustine is an interesting kind of figure that on one hand, he's obviously interested in dogma, he's obviously interested in philosophy. He's going to advocate for, you know, taking out certain sects of heretics, and so on one hand he is a very theologically driven guy, but also as you read him like, he reads as somebody of a contrite and broken spirit remade by God. And so you have both strength as well as real meekness, which obviously those aren't opposites, rightly understood, And you know, Kyle mentioned in the chat here this line that's had underlined as well, the very limit of human blindness is to glory in being blind. We celebrate the very things that are handicapping us and keeping us from fulfilling our purpose. Which, again, because Augustine's idea that evil is principally in the will, we decide to be blind, essentially we glory in it. We don't want to be healed.
Speaker 2: I think he does a good job in sort of creating that delineation of what is uh well ordered pity and what isn't because like you should never he says, only in the impossible event of goodwill beingnevolent malevolent could a man who is truly and sincerely failed with pity desired that there should be miserable people for him too pity And so it's like, I don't know how to articulate it. But it's just it's just the point of like goodness descends to it. But yeah, I don't know. It kind of seems like an obvious, obvious state. Maybe I'm just wowed by his words, but just in terms of like how how twisted it is to like, it's a twisted thing to almost to desire that people are in the situation so that you could serve them like the well the well ordered desire is that that they they are they're off or they're in right relationship with God, and that they're not miserable.
Speaker 1: I suppose, Yeah, I think that's that's an important point, and it's it kind of continues the same theme of being in love with love but not knowing the proper object of appreciating pity, but not knowing that the the object of pity is wellness of somebody else. You know, I've I've brought in Talkien here now to bring it. Lewis mands you until we not till we have faces. When Orwall says of Psyche, you know, I wish I were or I wish he was my slave so I could set her free. It's like this this twisted kind of idea where I want to feel like I had the moral superiority by expressing pity, but I don't actually want them to be well, it's yeah, no, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's also interesting this sort of slavery theme that runs through right because at the end of what is this section one of book one, when it's got the Roman numeral, I don't know what's secondly called, but the last sentence, I wore my chains with bliss, but with torment too, before I was scorged with the red hot rods of jealousy, with suspicions and fears and times and quarrelds, And I don't want to read that out of context. But then later on he goes on and he says, I wandered from you and my arrogance, going ever further away from you, loving my way and not your ways, in love with my runaway liberty, which my footnote says is an allusion to being a runaway slave. And so it's interesting because it's almost it's like these passions for for a disordered pity, these passions for disordered friendship. He likens them to like the slave masters of him, it seems almost. And but it's also interesting because he's he talks he's glorying in that in that slavery, because he says he wears his chains with bliss and that that he is in love with his runaway liberty. And it's like, I know, my favorite quote from the Oxford Classics comes in book nine, and it's how sweet it became to me to be without the sweets of folly. What I want, feared to lose, became a delight to dismiss. That's in book nine. That's the Oxtra Classics translation. And as you see the progression of he he's loving his chains, so that he's loving to be without his chains, as as his affections are becoming better ordered throughout the confessions.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 5: I thought this portion was that he was like the first the first one is basically that he's like chained to his loss.
Speaker 4: But then later on when.
Speaker 5: It talks about like the runaway slave, it seemed like he was he's moving further away from you, loving my way and not your ways, in love with my runaway liberty.
Speaker 2: Just meaning like, yeah, I'm not I'm not claiming that. Sorry, I'm not claiming that he's referencing the same thing. I'm just making the observation of their There seems to be that narrative theme that he seemed to paint the image.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I think this one's like more of.
Speaker 5: Like a disobedient slave running away enjoying the little bit of liberty that you have, rather than like staying with the faithful master whatever. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And and the way that you frame that, Cole, it reminds me of a quote from the City of God where Augustine says, the good man, though a slave, is free. The wicked, though he reigns as a slave, and not the slave of a single man, what is far worse the slave of as many masters as he has vices, And so again maintaining that this slave kind of language, that the good man may in fact be an actual slave, but he's free because he's living in accord with the purpose of human nature. He has his loves rightly oriented. Whereas the bad man, you know, he may be reigning, but he's he's a servant to his lust. He's not in control of his own passions, and that's not freedom, And that I think speaks pretty directly to our modern understandings of freedom. I encounter this all the time teaching philosophy, at a public university. You know, I'll ask students, you know, what does freedom mean? And with various wording, they basically say freedom is being able to do whatever you want to. But then, you know, I follow up with, Okay, why do you want what you want? And if you want the wrong things that are constantly leading you to a less free kind of life, you're becoming addicted to your own vices. Is that actual freedom? I mean, I take a little bit longer to lead them to in that direction, but eventually, you know, it starts to become obvious that simply doing whatever you want is not freedom because very often we want the wrong things. You know, Plato says, one of the worst things that can happen to you is you want the wrong things and you get them.
Speaker 2: Mike Tyson says that too.
Speaker 1: Well, Plato probably got it from Mike Tyson.
Speaker 2: Probably great minds think alike.
Speaker 1: Yes, obviously that that great philosopher. Mike Tyson reminds me of video. I don't remember. It was a couple of years ago or so, when it's like a kid, it's like a six year old kid or something was asking interviewing Mike Tyson and asked him like what's the meeting of life or something, And he just said to this kid, there is none. Just go do stuff.
Speaker 2: I just want to your name, Mike Tyson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a good question. So that's kind of on on them. I guess, all right back.
Speaker 4: To years with what you were saying.
Speaker 5: I read a preface to Paraise Losses for some and it was the Milton and Saint Augustine chapter and it was just saying, for us, he shows his benevolence in creating good natures, he shows his justice and exploiting evil wills, kind of going along with what you were saying of he's going to use He's going to allow you to like go with what you're doing, kind of to exploit you, to break you down and break you back up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then it's moving continuing in his narrative here, so he goes from highlighting his superficial engagement with the entertainment, with the theater with plays, and then he brings up when he first had his philosophical awakening, and it's when as a rhetorician, he was studying Cicero, who has principally studied for his rhetoric. That's what he was known for. But Augustine goes a little bit deeper. You know, while his colleagues are reading Cicero so they know how to speak better, Augustin's actually reading Cicero to see what he's saying, and out of that he he is awakened to a desire to study philosophy. He's awakened to the early stages of a love for wisdom, which is going to lead him in the wrong places along the path. But ultimately this is the beginning point of his like intellectual movement toward God, even though he doesn't know that's where he's headed yet. And it reminds me of In I can't remember for his Screwtape letters or Screwtape proposes a toast, but in one of them, Screwtape is talking about how the how they they've you know, the forces of Hell have say, convinced moderns to study the ancient text, the great Text, for kind of form for style to learn about like you know, historical realities regarding you know the text, or you know how people are talking, how people are thinking. But what they don't want people to do is actually read the text for what they are saying, as if they're actually saying things that may be true, that may actually come into terms with the way that we understand wisdom, the way that we understand the world today. And Augustin does exactly that. That. Yeah, all right, well thanks for sopping by, rah hope see next time.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes sta fortnit a gone with.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, absolutely all right. So so Augustine he he he actually reads his for Cicero, and he actually discovers something of wisdom, and now he's going forth to actually, I mean pursue that wisdom. And so we get that again substance over mere aesthetics, I suppose, which is probably rare for rhetoricians.
Speaker 2: There's a part Augustine's hard to read in some ways because in the same section he says that book excited and inflames me in my ardor the only thing I found lacking was that the name of Christ was not there with my mother's milk. My infant heart had drunk in and still held deep down in it that name cordn sheer, mercy, Lord, the name of your son, my favor, and whatever lacks that name, no matter how to learn it, and excellently written, and shrew could not win me Holy and I find that so strange being where this is in his life that I almost I almost just don't know how to interpret it, as if this is something that he's like saying in hindsight retroactively, or if it's like this subconscious thing because he's, to my understanding and I'm in my reading comprehension is far from the best. He's he's still living in rebellion. Yeah, for whatever reason, Like he says that it lacks the name of Christ, I don't know. I got to that, and I just it just put questions in my mind and no answer. So I was wondering what you guys thought.
Speaker 4: I think what I got was.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's writing all of this reflections from later on, right, this is stuff that he's grappled with his over the years, and so looking back on this time when he saw like, Okay, maybe this is why I didn't like what what did I find lacking the sister? Why did I seek out scriptures even though they were less majestic, like what would be their reason? Name is how I'm interpreting it, and him basically saying, like Ray says, for with my mother's milk, my infle heart had drunk in and still held deep down in the name, according to your mercy.
Speaker 4: So even from like his mother he was.
Speaker 5: Had gotten some, but it wasn't it hadn't taken root, you know, like he shouldn't know what it is, but he's so blinded by his lust and probably is schooling also and just surroundings, that he didn't recognize it at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's true. I think that even though he's in a state of rebellion mortally as well as intellectually, that he did get something from his mother, and that he did have a desire for something of what she provided him with. And so even when he falls into with the Manicheans, that that's kind of a Christian Zoroasteryan heresy, but there is some some Christianity to be found there. The Manicheans would certainly claim that. And so it's like, even though he's engaging in all these these these I don't know, these cults and these heresies and these vain philosophies, like there's still something of his mother. There's faith there at the very least in name. And so it's like he he desires the name of Christ, but he doesn't desire Christ. And I think that's yeah, And I think that honestly, a lot of people today can probably relate to that, and you know the whole like expangelical movement or you know, people so deconstruct the faith, but they still want to maintain certain labels. They still want to maintain, you know, certain wordings that they want to maintain the appearance of what they came up with, even if they projected the substance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I do I imagine part of it. I think he's so he's so insightful. I think there's there's a part of him that knows where the fullness is, but there are things he doesn't want to give up. And I'm remembering, Sorry, it's been less than six months since I last read this, so some of this is still fresh in my mind. I'm going to jump ahead, but I don't. I don't even remember where it is. But like during his final conversion, he's talking about how he had read a story of an Egyptian saint that had inverted immediately. This would be so much more insightful if I remembered quotes or what the book was. And I remember, I remember he was saying, it's like, oh, how that convicted me? How how quickly he turned from his sin when I have still been trying to hold onto mine. And it's almost it was kind of just like this watershed moment where he finally realized that he needed to give it all up. So I wonder how much of it is that, but it, yeah, I mean, it's it's interesting. It's interesting how he's he seems to have his toes in the water, but he just doesn't want to jump. And then he's even like later on the next section, he finds another excuse to be repelled by Christ again, because he says, because now he's reading the scriptures, and he says, I can see it was repelled by their simplicity, and I had not the mind to penetrate into their depths. They were indeed of a nature to grow on your little ones, but I could not bear to be a little one. I was only swollen with pride. But to myself I seemed a very big man. And so he's constantly finding these things to excuse himself to walk away. Again. It's really interesting. It's a very interesting relationship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what a line to say, my conceit was repelled by their simplicity and not the mind to penetrate into their depths, and so he was too proud to see the simplicity, but also too proud to recognize the depths of what's there, and so he just he was repelling against I think, as you mentioned there, he's repelling against what he already knows to be true. He's looking for excuses not to believe. And so this is one reason why he is attracted to the Manicheans, because they maintain certain Christian ideas, the very ly certain Christian vocabulary, but it seems a lot more complex and sophisticated than playing Christian faith, the Plaine Christian faith that he would have most keenly associated with, the Plane Christian faith of his mother, who was not a learning theologian. She was not a great philosopher. She was just a simple woman of faith. And so to him, that's probably what Christianity was, and he wanted something more sophisticated, more more learned than that, which kept him from recognizing just how deep and profound the scriptures are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that that line.
Speaker 5: Just round me of like when Christians read and they don't understand what the parables are, and they they like put it out and they're like this doesn't make any sense, or this is this is what it's supposed to mean, and then everyone else is like, no, that's not what it means. You're you're not understanding.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: A lot of this section too, just reminds me of kind of my journey through our faith of you know, not growing up in the I did grow up in the church, and then kind of was trying to find like a good church my entire adult life and kind of like just throwing myself all the way in. And it wasn't like it was a theoretical cult or something like that.
Speaker 4: It was like a Christian church.
Speaker 5: It was just maybe their emphasis was on stuff that wasn't you know, the depth I was looking for, which kind of shows down here where it says these names are always on their lips, but only the sounds and kind of voices for their hearts, for their heart was empty of the true meaning.
Speaker 4: And it just makes me.
Speaker 5: Think of either all the people that are like they'll use the name of Christ or call out Christians, or you know, there's people on social media that will just say, you know, like I'm gonna use Christianity to fight Christians and stuff like that that it.
Speaker 4: They don't. They don't.
Speaker 5: They aren't actually the truth. They don't believe the things where they're twisting it to make it kind of their own thing. And you think you're getting taking into the depths of wisdom, but you're really just very surface level.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And in the language that Augustin uses, I mean he's ultimately he's looking for the fountain of truth and not just some true things. I mean, ultimately speaking, that's where he's being led, even though he takes some missteps along the way. Yeah, Kyle, what are you going to say?
Speaker 2: Well, I was gonna say this seems like Augustine is a guy that we can't read in absolutes because he starts out talking about how pity is disordered, at least in most cases, and then like there is that exception that's made for it, right that we already talked about. And now he's talking about how scripture is simple and and just for children. And then he also wrote, I'm going to push to the pronunciation day turnichate whatever. It's like this big corpus on the trinity, And I don't know, I wonder if it's maybe I guess I'm asking your advice if we should read him with that nuance or should we should we read him more absolutely and just sort of taken for his word.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think that it's simultaneously true that the Christian faith is simple. I mean in that you know, Christ says that you know, my my yoka is easy, that you don't have to be learned to understand the faith. But at the same time, any statement made in the scriptures, if we recognize as divine wisdom, is going to have infinite depths that we can plunge. And so you could have Augustine truly saying that the scripture is simple. You don't need a summary degree to pick up the scripture and get the basic meaning, to read the Gospels and understand the basics of what Jesus is saying. But at the same time, you could study for an eternity and not mind the depths of what's revealed there. And so I think it's simultaneously true as he says that it's simple and that it is complex and infinitely profound. And by the way, side note, I definitely endorse his day trinitat or is on the Trinity. It's just it's a beautiful expression of Trinitarian theology. My first paper publication was a chapter showing the Augustinian, specifically his doctrine of the Holy Spirit in the Calvin's Institutes, and so I worked a good bit with it with that day trinatae is. It's beautiful, highly highly recommend it. But that's kind of a side note. I guess.
Speaker 2: I got to get through smaller books first, fair.
Speaker 1: Enough, But that's not a bad follow up. So maybe maybe it goes Confession on the Trinity and then City of God the first.
Speaker 2: This is another tangent. The first audiobook I ever attempted was City of God. So I was driving to my wedding for four hours listening to the City of God on Audible, and I'm gonna be honest, I don't think I understood any of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is not an audiobook kind of book.
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 2: Granted, listening is never as good for me as reading. Like I listened to Consolation Philosophy recently, and I I mean it was simple, like it was a real quick listen, But I still listening just doesn't work for me.
Speaker 1: But yeah, for a book like Consolation or City of God, that can work once you're already very familiar with the paper text. But you know, I would love in the future. I mean side note. We'll get back to our study in just a second. But I know, I know, I know, but I would love to do more with Augustine moving forward. One of my best classes I ever took was a seminar class on Augustine in which we read pretty much all of his major works, the Confessions, on Christian Doctrine, on the Trinity, City of God, some of those Antipolagian writings. By far, just the best single course I've ever taken. So I recommend reading anything.
Speaker 2: Augustin as to have you read the dam.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can use English.
Speaker 2: Give me two seconds. Sure, Sorry, I'm still here. I just need to it is Brown, Peter Brown, the biography. Yeah, Peter Brown. I have not no, okay, I haven't. I haven't gotten to it yet. I've picked it up, but I've heard it's very good. Okay, you're looking to have something that you're reading Onst. Peter Brown, a best of Hippo. Cool, all right, we can go back to it. Sorry, Chase, all.
Speaker 1: Right, I see where where are we now?
Speaker 4: So so.
Speaker 1: He gets in with it. The Manicheans. You know, he has these various questions. He's trying to rapple with, you know, a big thing for him was the problem of evil, dealing with this questions, but where does evil come from? What is evil? You know, if you have an all powerful, all sovereign God, then how do we account for evil as something other than a creation of God? Like, That's something that's he's trying to deal with here, as well as the question of like what is God? What does it mean to have an immaterial being? Because Augustine, you know, coming out of Roman culture, like the Romans, didn't have a category for a transcendent, purely immaterial God, which is why the Romans accused the early Christians of being atheists, because they assumed that Christians were just denying deity altogether, because they had a very different understanding of what the deity actually was. And so these are just some of the philosophical issues that he's dealing with that the Manicheans, at least for a time, provide him with some answers for, but ultimately he just doesn't find them to be satisfactory, which is going to move him back in the direction of Christian orthodoxy.
Speaker 2: Are the Manicheans a different group where they're the same group as the astrologers.
Speaker 1: They they're related. I mean the Manicheans as a sort of melding Christianity and Zoroastrianism. Yeah, they would definitely incorporate astrology. So I believe that's part of the same arc, same arc.
Speaker 2: I thought I thought it was that was so funny from the one bishop. It was just like, looking, if he's smart enough, and if he does the reading, I'll see that that's.
Speaker 1: Wrong, right, And I mean, I appreciate that patient kind of approach, and his his mother is pleading, like you got to go talk to this guy. You gotta go talk to Augustine. You gotta gotta set him straight, and yeah, he just says, like, just give him some time, hook him around. It's just finally he basically out of frustration, tells Monica Gustin's there, don't worry about He'll come around. Stop pestering me. Essentially like there's there's no way that a mother could shed this many tears over her son and not have them get a response. And so that was enough for her, And then of course she receives this dream that confirms that idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think watching the sort of the arc of Monica and her life over the course of confessions, really encouraging and just how you see how her prayer is rewarded. Yeah, it's it's kind of tough to read. Sorry I'm saying something else, but again, it's kind of tough to read because it's like, so, all right, so we're talking about Ciso, we're talking about how he's too proud for scripture, talking about all of these things, and then and I'm sure it's related, then he kind of breaks off and what seems like a tangent of divine justice and how it doesn't change but it seems to change, or it doesn't it doesn't even seem to change, but it's just it relates to people differently depending on their time period. And then we're at the Manichees and it's kind of it's like, how I read that, And it's like, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to place this in this narrative because it's like where we got We have like your life, and then we have a theological tangent, and we're back to your life, and then we're back to a theological tangent and he's just he's just writing whatever goes into his mind. And I'm yeah, I don't know. I digress.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think here he's like basically using all of that with like a theological tangent right here of the patriarchs and how they're actually they were righteous even though they were still human. To counteract with that line of one of the questions that Manicheans asked was and are those patriarchs being esteemed righteous who had many wives at the same time and slew men and offered sacrifices in the animals? So kind of just like rebuking ignorant self, I.
Speaker 2: See and miss that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's bringing up these questions that he had that he couldn't answer the time, but now he can, and so he's answering his former self here, which I mean he raises some of the same kind of issues that secularists will raise today against Christianity, like oh, did God changed his mind between the Old and the New Testament? And Augustine's giving us. I think a pray solid answer to that that even today, you know, what may be lawful in the morning or at a certain time of the day might not be lawful another time. I mean, you know, in my own household, like the children are allowed to be awake at certain times and they're allowed or they need to be asleep other times, and so too with the course of history, that there's no reason why the standard transcendent justice of God can't demand certain things at some time and other things at other times. Yeah, but to I mean, really respond to your your question. Yeah, it just you seem to be answering his younger self. And then yeah, I mean, as you mentioned the astrology bit, that he's drawn into these astrologers, and you know, it's kind of an interesting topic when you start talking about astrology and what's gonna happen with medievalism, you know, especially coming out of studying Lewis the discardant image, that sort of stuff when you get into medieval cosmology versus astrology. And really the dividing line here seems to be that pagan astrology is fatalistic, where they say, basically, I'm not responsible that, you know, the heavens are responsible for the way that I'm living my life, and so it robs you of your own agency and your own responsibility, Whereas what seems to be the prevailing consensus with the medieval theologians regarding the heavens is that the heavens do have influences over this life. And even that word like or even like influenza has a relation to the influences of the heavens. And so the heavens have influences, but they aren't ultimately a deciding factor in the way that we live our lives. They're simply that influences that then we choose to relate ourselves to positively or negatively. And so the difference here between pagan astrology and Christian medieval cosmology really comes down to where is agency located.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's humbling, I think for me, it's humbling to me to see a gust and fall into these things because like I guess, I don't know. I mean, I'm raising a different time period obviously, right, but they seems obvious. I'm like, all right, you say something so vague, eventually it's gonna in some ways it's going to ring true, right, Like it's that game of chance that he was speaking with that one man about, and you have this great saint of the faith falling into these cults that otherwise I might make like a rash judgment on a person, and if I knew them that were going to fall into it. So it's humbling for me to read it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I suppose that this is I mean, it's a major temptation of those to us who might have more of a romantic kind of impulse. I mean, Augustin definitely has a romantic impulse where he is very much led by his heart at the same time we all are, whether we recognize it or not. We're led by our desires. As you know, Pascal says, the heart has its reasons of which the mind knows not, and I think that's fundamentally true. We just see that in particular display in someone's so intellectual but also so passionate as Augustine. I mean, even in his attachment to the astrologers, it's not even so much that at this time he thinks that they have the better argument. It's that they seem to have the more powerful argument, the more compelling argument, and that's enough for him at this point. And so as much as he's an intellectual, he's first and foremost him, he's a romantic. He's someone who follows his passions, which can be good or dangerous depending on where you're directed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess it's kind of like that idea that that beauty is its own apologetic which there's definitely truth in that. Right in terms of beauties is a transcendent cottributeund on God. So if something's beautiful, it gets that from God. But I don't know, what do you perceive it as beautiful? I don't know. I'm just talking. I don't.
Speaker 1: Again, it's very Augustinian. It's just say stuff and go go over the thoughts take you well. So, after dealing with this, or not really dealing with but moving past the astrology bit, at this point we go to his relationship with his friend back home who was sick. You know, they both grew up together with some experience of the Christian faith. This guy maintained his faith, whereas Augustine rejected it. And you know, in he his friend gets sick to the point of near death, and so they baptize him while he's unconscious, and then he wakes up and has reaffirmed faith and you know, doesn't want any of Augustine's mockery or his his scorn. And you know, at that point there's this dividing line between them, which you know, obviously we're getting into the territory of baptismal regeneration. You know, I don't know your theology is of baptism here, but it's it's clear that Augustine's and he's he's not unusual in this in certainly believing that baptism actually does something like it's sacramentally, it's not simply a ceremony. He seems to believe that baptism actually basically confirmed faith in his friend, even though he wasn't conscious for it.
Speaker 4: Don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know what do you guys think of that?
Speaker 2: Well, that's something that I wrestled. So I come from an evangelical background and I've slowly been drifting away from just that. But yeah, it's interesting as you read this, and don't I don't know where I am in the regeneration, but it's true, I mean something. I'm not going to call him a liar, right, and so if he's saying that this happened, then okay, this happened. And then also you have the same thing even later on, which is like the relic experience where there's that healing episode from the bones of the saint, and it's like this isn't even like this is Romanist almost. It's like, again, I'm not going to call him a liar. But I guess how do I grapple with these things? That's a good point. I also just think it's funny because, like it's not creato baptism because as far as I know the guy's unconscious, well it's not ideo baptism. But he's a full grown adult, So I don't I'm wondering what baptistic school thought does that does this episode belong to. It's a whole new thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, as you mentioned last time, I mean it was typical practice at this time to delay baptism with this idea that baptism, you know, literally watched the way you're staying confirmed faith. You know, they would push it back, basically tell you're about to die, because that way you would, you know, wash it clean before you die, before you stain yourself up again. This is why Constantine wasn't baptized until his deathbed experience. And you know, I feel comfortable saying that's not the right approach. I do have a lot of questions. I don't know where I stand really on a number of issues. I've I've come to the point of I think my favorite label for myself is reformed LOWERCASEE Catholic, whatever that means I don't know. I don't really know either. I'm comfortable saying don't wait until you're dying to get baptized, but beyond that, I don't know. I'm still working through some of this myself as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's a problem I've especially worked through with my daughter that was born, because like we go all right, our church is fully I'm definitely and we we can move on after my personal but I'm definitely I've becommon the paido Baptist camp. Like I think that is seeing. I think that is seen as historically normative, and if scripture is ambiguous, that's how I'll read it. At the same time, though baptism is not Baptism's more than church membership, is not less than church membership. And so do I feel have I felt a sort of call from God to leave church? I haven't. I think church membership is significant enough that there should be clarity, right, I don't want to treat it vainly as though like that shopping. So I don't know. It's something I've thought about a lot, and this I remember reading this the first time. I was thinking about it a lot. So it's it's interesting, it's very outside what is within my frame of experience, which is why it's reading historical text is one of those wonderful things, because it's like we don't recognize the water that we're swimming in until we jump out of it and go into a different ocean.
Speaker 5: I think if we start now, we might have just enough time to get to the end of the pedo baptism great baptism debate.
Speaker 4: We can have it out.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's not enough time and all of our lives put together for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as long as we don't start drowning each other like the Protestants of old the baptismal debates.
Speaker 4: And we may move past this.
Speaker 5: So just one last thing with this book three, when he talks about his mother, says, she did not cease to pray at every hour, awail me to you, and her prayers found entry into your sight. But for all that, you allow me still to toss helplessly in that darkness. Yeah, it's just cool seeing like how faithful she was and reminds me of the men and women in my life that has prayed for me or my brother, anybody, just constantly, and you're not necessarily seeing the fruit.
Speaker 4: Of it so years later.
Speaker 5: Because you still need time to be polished.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the story of Monica is so encouraging in that Augustine in I mean, I guess I don't know if I want to say he's a household name. Maybe he's not anymore, even in Christian circles. But Augustine is obviously a major figure in the history of the Church. But you don't have Augustine without Monica. You don't have so much of either Catholicism or even I would argue you don't have a Protestant Reformation without Augustine. When you look at where the Protestant Reformers drew their inspiration from, you know, between Luther, between Calvin, you don't have them without Augustine. And you don't have Augustin without Monica. And it just shows how world shaping the prayers of a Weeping Mother can be. And I think that alone is something worth pulling out of the confessions.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I heard a brief like clip from Richard Nixon talking about his mother, and it was recently this week. It was like, they're probably not going to be any books written about her, but and just compared to like books written about him, good or bad, but just interesting to see, like how much I guess this has talked about and there was someone that led him being Monica led him there.
Speaker 1: Yes, Augustine is just like Richard Dixon, who we're getting out of this Nixon and Mike Tyson.
Speaker 2: That's where we're at.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, so his friend, his friend dies finally in the faith, and Augustine celebrates this, celebrates looking back, the fact that his friend was spared his consolation, his consolation which inevitably would have contributed to his abandonment of the faith, his apostesy, and so he sees this as a grace that his friend was taken home at the time that he was. But then Augustine sort of just spirals out into this despair over the death of his friend and probably really the double death of his friend that at the time he's sparing not only that his friend is taken away, but also that his friend recognized a good that he did not know, and so there was that relational break as well as the physical break of a physical death, and and so that leads him into despair. But it's the right kind of despair that allows him to look beyond himself that you have to you have to descend before you can ascend, as he says a little bit later on, and so even this despair itself was a grace. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just I mean, praise God, because I couldn't imagine the weight of guilt had he not repented of his apostasy and then died, that Augustine would then have to reconcile with forever. No, it's yeah. I mean he kind of shows the full the full range of like an emotional experience, and it does a great job cutting through all of it, showing like where is this any Where is this point? Where is this pointing I'm looking for? Where it's okay, you guys can talk.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean even even the feeling like at the time, the despair that he began, but you even later on, years later, when he's grown in his faith, coming back and being like, oh my gosh, like feeling the full weight of that.
Speaker 2: Most of the part, I think, I think this is interesting. This is what I was looking for. So he's talking about how he makes new friends. Time goes on, he makes new friends, and its therapeutic. But he says, and it was all one huge fable, one long lie, and by its adulterous, caressing my soul, which, like itching in my ears, was utterly corrupted. For my folly did not die whenever one of my friends died. And it's like it's he's continuing to go deeper into the foolishness, and he's replacing the one friend that I obviously couldn't satisfy his soul and perished with more friends that obviously can't satisfy his soul and will perish. And so he's tracking down that folly further down the road, despite the pain and the torment that has already just assailed him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we just see this ongoing working out of this restless heart idea that comes from that iconic statement at the beginning of the Confessions that his heart is restless, that he's looking for peace while scorning the path two piece, and so he just continues to throw himself into various things. And you know, even when he experiences this despair, he doesn't yet recognize the value of despair, the value of despairing over his own condition, and so he just does whatever he can to hide from that reality. He's simultaneously hiding from God and hiding from himself because to recognize either one truly is to recognize the other. You know, you can't note that. So Calvin says that you know, all knowledge comes down to love, or to knowledge of God and knowledge of yourself. And so if we in our our neglective one, we're ultimately neglecting the other as well. And we definitely see that playing out here as he's he's afraid to stop and just to be. It's like a stone skipping across the water. As soon as it stops, that's when it sinks. So he has to do what he can to keep moving.
Speaker 2: And it kind of just reminds me of that that quote earlier in terms of like our the end of our blindness is like the glory of the blindness, Like it just leads into itself, and it just gets thicker and it gets darker the more that you follow your blindness.
Speaker 1: I did like toward the end of book four when he reads the Aristotle and he says he reads the ten categories, and he says, basically, everyone else read this, they didn't understand it, but I understood right away, and it was incredibly simple to me.
Speaker 2: He's the master of the humble brag. But I didn't. I didn't even register. This was supposed to be difficult.
Speaker 1: Right, so he just understands it right away, and then he tries to put on these categories but it doesn't work. Which, you know, all of these experience, he has, these highs that he has in his philosophical and his religious pursuits. You know, he understands Aristotle more than his colleagues. He he sees deeper than even the rags of the Manicheans are able to see. And he just is going to recognize again and again that any value that these different systems had to offer ultimately fall short of what he's pursuing. And so he gets frustrated again and again and again, which is helping to build the sense of despair of Okay, maybe wisdom isn't where I'm seeking it. And so that was preparing him for his conversation with Ambrose, which I believe is coming up in the next section or the next couple of books.
Speaker 2: I thought it was also really neat because he says, not only did all this not profit me, it actually did my harm. And then I tried to understand you, my god marvelous, and your simplicity, and you really and that whatsoever had being was to be found within these ten categories. So it's like he's recognizing, all right, I attempted to fit God within this box with it. I attempted to use this Risitilian metaphysic and use that to understand God. But God transcends that, and and so it's leading me down paths that aren't fruitful. And then it seems like right after he invented divine simplicity, where he says your greatness of beauty as if they might inhar a body. In fact, your greatness in your beauty are yourself. I was like, whereas, And yeah, he goes on, which I thought was interesting, just as like a little easter egg. It's my understanding is that he actually did invent that doctrine, so I thought it was neat to see it there in play. But yeah, and I mean, I've I've never read Aquinas. I know nothing of Aquinas except what I've heard other people say of him. But my understanding is that he loves Aristotle, Augustine loves Plato, and I guess it would be interesting for them to like to dialogue on this passage of where is Aristotle appropriate? Where is he not appropriate? Maybe in heaven with the virtuous pagans, if they get there.
Speaker 5: The it's interesting because it's kind of bring you bring up the point that we talked about in other classes and stuff. People can be, you know, too intelligent for their own good of finding the faith, you know, whether it's like somebody like Jordan Peterson, it's like almost there, but you know they're they're like trying to dissect everything. They're trying to Like even with the man Kens, he's like asking all these questions that like really aren't important questions even though they seem like they're deep and they're that type of stuff, and it just kind of like slowed.
Speaker 4: Slowed.
Speaker 5: Even though he eventually got there, it slowed how fast he was to find the real truth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like people getting a big fuss about dinosaurs. Yeah, where were they in the Bible? Not in this narrative. It's like that's really not the point. That's really not the point of the writings at all, and you're trying to read it in a way that is not to be read.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, wait, are you telling me there aren't dinosaurs and job.
Speaker 2: Maybe not that I know, I'm doubtful. Yeah, maybe dragons though, I.
Speaker 1: Mean that's more compelling to me personally. There's a good reason for that. So yeah, and so he he reads Aristo, he sees some value in that the other books of the liberal arts, he says. But he says that I enjoyed the books while not knowing him from whom came whatever was true or certain in them, For I had my back to the light and my face to the things upon which the light falls. So he was looking at true things, but he was looking away from the truth.
Speaker 2: Is that a direct allusion to the k allegory? Is that what he's doing there.
Speaker 1: It's very platonic language, probably, so he's looking at the shadow rather than the substance.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I didn't think about it reading it, but you mentioned it earlier, and now that jumps out like that must be what he was doing. But yeah, no, it's wonderful and I and it's nice because again me coming from like my evangelical background, sometimes there's this really naive idea of like things have to be explicitly missional or like explicitly theological to be good. And it's like, no things are good in and of themselves, right, like light is casting on these things, Light is casting on these images, and that's true light, and that's good light, and that's beautiful light. It's just and you can be satisfied in that light, but it's just that you won't be fully satisfied until you find the source of light itself. And I love I love the the the way it dignifies, just like the surrounding things as well, that imagery.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Augustine makes this point in his book on Christian Doctrine that some people, even Ema then, would criticize Christian use of pagan things, of pagan text, pagan ideas. You know, what has Jerusalem to do with that? Or what has Athens to do with Jerusalem? That kind of idea, And Augustine says, well, wait a minute. We in order to even read scripture, you have to learn language. There's something inherently Christian about Greek language, and so you have to learn things in order to even approach scripture that aren't themselves explicitly scriptural. And so too, you know, why not, you know, why can't we recognize the value that comes from pagan sources, recognizing all true value ultimately comes from God anyways, And so he compares it to the Israelites plundering the Egyptians saying basically, we're putting things back into the proper context that we actually have a right to the truth. And so it's this idea that all truth is God's truth wherever it can be found. Very very august in me, any.
Speaker 2: Idea, Yeah, it I did a I studied math in college and I remember having just thinking it's like, if God has a native language, it probably sounds a lot more like mathematics than like Hebrew. And it's just like things are ordered everywhere, right, It's like you you look at the way the trees blowing the wind, and that teaches you something about God, right, like if nothing else, it teaches you the order and the meticulousness and sort of like the particularity which with which He makes things. And I'm gonna I'm gonna quote John Piper here, which you guys might really rise at. And that's okay, I roll my eyes. But he he has, he does have this really nice imagery of like the fact that God paints the same sunset every day and every day and every day, and it's like He continuously delights to do these things for eternity because the sun is always rising somewhere and it's like we look at that and we are filled with awe, and God again says again and again and again, and he paints the thing brush again and again and again, and it's just like his glories everywhere. Yeah, I'm I'm just I'm rehashing the same thing I said. But I just I love it. I love to I love to see that reflected.
Speaker 5: I am in trouble if we have to do any type of proofs in Heaven to understand anything.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that approach to mathematics being the divine language is very Pythagorean.
Speaker 2: Well, hey, all truth of Scott's truth fair enough?
Speaker 1: Cool? Well, I mean we've been going on for a little while. Is there anything else that from either of these books, book three or book four that you want to mention?
Speaker 2: I think we got through everything I would have wanted to talk about.
Speaker 1: All right, So next time we'll cover five and six. But I'll end by reading just this concluding paragraph here from book four. O Lord, our God, let us hope in the protecting shadow of thy wings, guard us and bear us up. Bear us up, Thou wilt as tiny infants, and onto our gray hairs. For when thou art our strength, it is strength. Indeed, but when our strength is our own, it is only weakness. With THEE, our good ever lives, and when we are averted from THEE, we are perverted. Let us now return to THEE, O Lord, that we may not be overturned, for with THEE lives without any defect our good, which is thyself. We have no fear that there should be sorry. We have no fear that there should be no place of return, merely because by our own act we fell from it. Our absence does not cause our home to fall, which is thy eternity. I think it's a good place to wrap. Next time, we'll get the next couple of books.
Speaker 2: Right, is the History of Ideas? This week? Is that next week?
Speaker 1: That begins next week? So yeah, so this week we've got Latin and Paradise Loss starting, and then next week we've got History of Ideas.
Speaker 2: I do not have the capacity for Latin, but I will try and be at I'll be at Paradise Loss. I'll try and be ideas cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm trying to keep up with both of those. We'll see what happens. I really want to. If nothing else, I'll I'll backtrack at some point. But I'm going to try to keep up with those courses as well as we move forward. All right, cool, well, I will see you guys around.
Speaker 2: Thanks see ye.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks for following with us for that conversation. Our next CAN Sessions conversation will be on the twenty sixth, Monday, the twenty sixth, at nine pm Eastern, And if you want to participate, then all you need to do is sign into our patreon, enroll in our Patreon community, whether as a paid member or a free member. This is open everybody, and so just enroll with our patreon at any level and you will be able to find that link and join us for the next conversation. But otherwise, just feel free to continue following along with us. And now before we go, I do want to thank all of my patrons for supporting me and helping me just continue doing the various things that we're doing. We've got so much going on and even more that's in the works, and I'll talk about a little bit more that next time. But my name I would like to thank all Tier three patrons in higher and so that's Mark, Amanda, Chase, Chas, Christopher Clinton, David Don, Aaron Hevy, Jamie Justin, Justin, Kyle, Paul, Roger, Ross, Tyler, and William. That list is getting longer and longer, which is fantastic, and I hope that more of you will consider joining us, more of you will consider going up to that Tier three level, which is the way to get most access. And even still, if you purchase a Tier three annual patronage, then I'll give you access to all the upcoming courses that start within that term, and I'll even throw in for a limited time, I'll throw in the Brief History of Ideas course, which just started, but that will soon drop off of that annual deal, So go ahead take advantage of that now. But whether you become a paid patron or not, I appreciate you walking these trails with us. And until next time, godspeed,