Speaker 1: All right, let's get a drive time Monday afternoon, twelve minutes past the hour of two o'clock. It is a very aggressively April day outside. It's about fifty eight sixty degrees. We had a little rain this morning, cloudy with a little bit of sunshine this afternoon here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. And as it is every single day, it's going to have you along for the ride.
Speaker 2: Spence Check. It's back behind the mic.
Speaker 1: After a little Friday off, a little John to San Diego with our little local soccer club over the weekend, RSL get to win. We'll get into a little soccer on the show today. But there's a lot to do the Monday after the NFL Draft. We kind of lean heavy into that, so we'll talk NFL Draft from a local standpoint. Kind of a quiet year. We've talked about it for a few months now. Was not expecting Jalen Royals and Caleb Loner to be the only two names that we heard called throughout the course of the NFL Draft, but that's where we're at.
Speaker 2: We'll update you on.
Speaker 1: The local college football players that we're able to sign, some unrestricted free agent or I should say undrafted free agent deals some mini camp invites too. Of course, the big story today is shoud Or Sanders sliding all the way to the fifth round of the draft after a lot of mid season college football projections had him both as a finalist for the Heisman Trophy and the favorite in Vegas at one point to be the number one overall pick that of course ended up being cam Ward.
Speaker 2: So we'll do some NFL today, We'll do some NFL draft today.
Speaker 1: We'll do some college football today on the program as well. The latest with the NCAA transfer portals, Zach Williams is on his way to USC. What will the University of Utah do at that wide receiver position? As the transfer portal has come and gone now there will be more opportunities to have talent prior to the start of the season at fall, so we will get to that. NBA playoffs have been awesome. They have just been so much fun, and they continue tonight with well, one good game tonight. I don't think Miami has a pulse. I think they are cooked. Of course, down three to zero, you know the math on that's never happened in pro basketball before.
Speaker 2: Donovan's been really.
Speaker 1: Good Man, Donvin Mitchell and the Cleveland Cavaliers will march on, I think tonight to the second round. We'll see if Miami can get one in their arena and then series that a lot of people are tuned into with the Houston Rockets and the Golden State Warriors. Reports are that Jimmy Butler went through shoot around this morning and may give it a go tonight after he sat. In Game three, we had a vintage Stephan Curry performance. One of my favorite things about this NBA Playoffs is a lot of the old guard has shown that they're still doing their thing, even at advanced stages like Steph.
Speaker 2: But an old guard that might be done.
Speaker 1: It's not his fault. Lebron James and the LA Lakers are in trouble. I don't know if JJ Reddick was trying to send a point to Rob Polinka and the LA Laker front office staff by not sitting any of his starters in the second half. He played the same five man unit. Timberrel's are deep. You can't do that against Minnesota. Lebron ran out of gas, Luca got tired. Even Dorian Finney Smith had a wide open dunk and he short armed it.
Speaker 2: So the Lakers on the brink elimination.
Speaker 1: Boston Celtics no issues with the Orlando Magic some competitive games, so that one's over.
Speaker 2: The Knicks have a three to one series lead against Detroit.
Speaker 1: That's been kind of an unexpected fun testing back and forth. After splitting at the Garden, New York goes to Detroit and they get two. And the Indiana Pacers have been a really good team since the All Star break, so this series is not surprising me. But unfortunately, the storyline coming out of Indianapolis against Milwaukee is that our local legend, Damian Lillard might be done. I hate to say it, but the news became official about two hours ago after an MRI. It is official that Dame has torn his left achilles tendon. Dame turns thirty five this offseason, and even if you're twenty one twenty two, that is an injury that's really difficult to come back from. He is on the books for a cool, wait for it, sixty million dollars next year. I don't know what Milwaukee does. They're cooked a lot of conversation about maybe they.
Speaker 2: Look to move on from Giannis.
Speaker 1: Let me just say this into this microphone the Utah Jazz will not be making the deal for your honest because that's not realistic. So if we could stop sending out silly tweets and such, that would be great. But speaking to Utah Jazz, we are high speed ahead to the next date of intrigu which is May the twelve, when the Jazz will find out their lottery luck and fingers crossed knocking on wood. Hopefully it's the number one pick. And hopefully we have Cooper Flag playing basketball in our city coming up next year.
Speaker 2: Be awesome. So a lot to do.
Speaker 1: Jam pack show, busy show, Happy Monday to you. Hope you had a great, great weekend, full of a bunch of NBA hoops, full of some RSL soccer, some NFL drafts, maybe a little golf, maybe got outside a little bit too.
Speaker 2: The weather is very spring like. We've not had a very sunny, warm spring.
Speaker 1: Hopefully the consistent sunshine is on its way all right. Our first guest today, excited for this Matt Brown, who writes the newsletter Extra Points. It's kind of a north star for me. Utilize it to prep for the show. With the business of college football, we'll talk to Matt about house first NCAA settlement kind of where we're at with that structure and when we can see something final and what it means for the world of collegiate athletics, namely college football.
Speaker 2: Richard Smith will do.
Speaker 1: A little jazz basketball, little offseasonal NBA draft, little playoff basketball with Smitty today live in the studio. Thorn Nystrom stops by. Decided to catch up with Thor. His name is Thor, so you can guess that he's a football guy. We'll do some NFL draft with Thor on the program today, and then we'll welcome in a special guest. I've never had an opportunity to interview Sam Junkqua before. Sam scored a great goal for RSL over the weekend. Diego had embrace Diego continues to see that star of his shine and rise, but Sam had the goal to kind of put the cap on his RSL got a three to one win against San Diego over the weekend. So Matt Brown, Richard Smith, thorn Eystrom, Sam Junqua, me Spence check its Hello.
Speaker 2: How are you happy Monday?
Speaker 1: All of you the great listeners, and that guy Porter Larson who held the fort down on Friday with Andy Larson had the Friday show.
Speaker 3: I thought it went pretty good.
Speaker 2: It's not what I heard.
Speaker 3: It went fun, went well.
Speaker 2: Not what I heard.
Speaker 4: It was Andy and I notable fun fun. Uh, guys who love fun things right and optimistic the ultimate tie.
Speaker 2: The opposites that you are curmudgeons.
Speaker 3: That's kind of what I was saying.
Speaker 2: But but it went okay, you guys had a good time.
Speaker 4: It did go It did go well, I thought, so. I even got Andy to talk some NFL Draft. Obviously the bulk of the show was NFL Draft NBA playoffs, but we had plenty to talk about on a on a Friday that that had live action. We talked about the the coverage of the NFL Draft and the live stuff there and and had plenty of NBA playoffs to talk about. So it was fun with Andy. Always good to catch up with him, uh, talking rs L and and whatnot.
Speaker 3: And we'll do the same today.
Speaker 1: Before we get into it, you're a football guy big time. What do you think happened for real? What do you think happened with should or why do you think you shoulid all the way to the fifth round?
Speaker 4: First off? And not to like hot take, you know, not a huge surprise. It was a slide. It was a surprise to see him taking in the fifth round, But the one hundred and forty fourth pick in the NFL Draft is kind of relative to being like a top one hundred and fifty college football player. He was thirteen and eleven at Colorado. Yes, he's really talented, but when you're talking about the next level spence from the NFL draft standpoint, you're talking about pocket presence, You're talking about your ability to talk through a playbook with guys in an NFL room, You're talking about a whole different class of things. And you know, we can talk about the entitlement stuff, the stuff with Dion, but ultimately it doesn't sound like they really handled the process that well. They actually told almost half the teams in the league to not draft the shador Deon and shadoor or told them not to draft him. That is a specific request that has been kind of confirmed through multiple sources. And then they they publicly put out like which teams they were okay with. So number one, you're you're doing it a service there, and then when you start to slide spends, it's not just about the one the one guy.
Speaker 3: Quinn Ewers.
Speaker 4: A bunch of quarterbacks slid in this draft because it was a heavy offensive line, defensive back, defensive back, defensive tackle in the middle of the draft. But when when no one else is picking quarterbacks, you don't make that pick. So it wasn't as surprising as I think the the firestorm led out to be, because that's how everything with Dion, with the Sanders, with Shador is and that's fine, but that's just kind of the reality of it.
Speaker 3: And yeah, one hundred and forty fourth pick.
Speaker 4: Hell, that's some guy's dream, that's most people's dream, and I think it's it's it's okay to say that out loud.
Speaker 3: Awesome human feet and achievement one hundred and forty four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt, no doubt. So we'll get into it. Of course, the hot takes have been flying all day. Some of the same media members that were very confident in their intel on Wednesday of last week that Shador would be a top ten pick or a first round pick or now talking about how confident they are in their intel about why they got it wrong. I always find the kind of the autopsy that certain media members do about the draft pretty funny. After the fact, but our first guest today will be Matt Brown. But before we get to Matt, on this lovely Monday afternoon, courtesy of our good friends at Prize Picks, it is time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the Drive with Spence check its on Utah's number one Sports talk now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show.
Speaker 3: The opening tip of the.
Speaker 5: Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: You can cash in on the basketball playoffs with Prize Picks, I miss your last chance.
Speaker 2: You have your favorite players from the court to your Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Lineup, whether it's points, rebounds, assists. Take your pick of more or less for your shots went up to one thousand times your cash. Today you can turn those playoff thought takes and the tickets to Basketball's championship series starting with the playing round. Every lineup you make on Prize Fix will enter you into the Take two ticket sweepstakes, which could get you and a plus one a VIP trip to the ship. So here's what you do. You download the Prize Picks app today. You use that promo code ESPN seven hundred a checkout, and you get fifty bucks when you place that first five dollars bet. You do not even need to win your five dollars bet. The fifty dollars is on the house. So download the Prize Picks app today, use the promo code ESPN seven hundred, and you're gonna get fifty dollars when you play that first five dollars bet tonight. I'm going more for Max Struss two point five three point shots made. I'm going up more for Jalen Green eighteen point five points. I'm going less on Stephan Curry five point five assists, and I'm going more Dotovan Donovan Mitchell twenty five point five points. So check it out. That's how I'm rolling tonight. You guys can play long, all right. So, of course, the big story over the weekend was shoud Or Sanders sliding into the fifth round of the NFL Draft after a lot of people believe that he could even maybe be a top three pick to the New York Giants. The New York Giants, by the way, traded back into the first round to take our local product, Jackson Dart, who will sit beyond Russell Wilson and maybe Jamis Winston for a year or two. So very happy for Jackson Dart his family. Of course local people. Some of the other local high school kids were drafted, but as far as the local college kid, and by high school kids, I mean the Jeffrey Bossa kid from Oregon, Jackson Hawes, the former Highland High Tide end. But on Wednesday of last week, I did not anticipate sitting here on Monday of this week to talk about Caleb Loner and Jalen Royals as the only two local players having been drafted. Caleb's going to go to Denver, as is Karente read. By the way, Denver's kind of like the Utah NFL team out this way Buffalo kind of the team out backy.
Speaker 2: So happy for certainly Caleb Bloher.
Speaker 1: We heard Sean Payton talk a lot about his athleticism after the draft process. So some of the other players that have found deals. Junior Tifuna will be a Texan undrafted deal. I mentioned Karna Reid's going to Denver. Connor O'Toole got himself almost three hundred grand as far as the undrafted contract he signed with Seattle's am I A. Vaughn will be in Minnesota and McKay Bernard I believe will be with the Browns or the Bills. McKay got a deal. Tyler Baddy's going to Minnesota. Kayler Btn will be at Bengal and then Jacob Robinson will be a forty nine or so no BYU players drafted and only Caleb blon Aer drafted from the U. Jalen Royal is the speedy wide receiver has himself a new home.
Speaker 2: So mckay'son Tennessee. Thank you porter.
Speaker 1: So Mkai got an undrafted deal Tennessee. So Jalen Royals will be catching passes from Patrick.
Speaker 2: Mahomes and playing for Andy Reid.
Speaker 1: But real quick, I couldn't help but think about this, says the Chador Sanders storyline played out, and yes, mel kiper ESPN, they're going to force feed all of us these stories that maybe isn't as interesting for some as it is for others. But as he was sliding and all of the videos were kind of surfacing online of people with hot takes about him, sandbagging interviews and how you Famously, his father, Dion Sanders, admitted throughout his career that he sandbag interviews because he didn't want to go certain places. The problem is, Chador is not you. Dion Dion still to this day by many is considered the greatest cornerback that ever played pro football and also an incredibly electric punt and kick returner. Like, if you're that good, you can sandbag and get away with it. But if you're kind of borderline with trades that people debate about whether or not you're actually a legitimate NFL prospect, you better handle every intangible the.
Speaker 2: Best possible way you can.
Speaker 1: Like, if you're Lebron James, you can show up for a free agency meeting, you can down a bottle of wine and pontificate on random, weird stuff, and it doesn't matter. You're Lebron James, We're gonna sign you no matter what. But if you're a mid tier free agent and you have to knock an interview out of the park in order to get a deal better, you better act right, man.
Speaker 2: And when it comes to.
Speaker 1: All of these interviews that apparently as Porter was outlining, Shador, some of them he just refused to show up in person.
Speaker 2: He would do it on zoom.
Speaker 1: I guess there was a comment that he said, if you don't want to change your culture, then don't get me or whatever. And he's just not good enough to not act right with the things that have to be dialed in for a prospect that has a lot of questions for a lot of people. But last year Big twelve Media Day, we're in Vegas for our first foray into Big twelve media experience because it's the first year that Utah was in the conference. We're sitting there on radio row and you know, we're doing our best to get all these interviews with coaches and players, and you know, in the background there's the dais and the podium where coaches would address the entire group, and suddenly, out of nowhere, the double doors opened with the entrance, and you know, the Big twelve did a really great job. They had these vegas like show girls at the entrance. They had these vegas like slot machine feel, and you didn't really pay much attention to who was walking in and walking out until the double doors open, and like six cameras are following Deon Sanders, Shaudor Sanders, and Shiloh, Deon's other son, and they make their way throughout the course of kind of the setup, and every school had like a helmet set up on one of these kind of situations where they were introducing everybody to each other. There was a setup I think they were doing it with a video game where they had all the uniforms on like dummies, and so you could walk through that and Shaudor and Shiloh every you know, three to five minutes or whatever, they would stop, look at their cameras and they do one of these dopey TikTok dances that all the kids do to post and you know, get engagement and get videos. And I don't mean to sound like the old guy that you yelling about what the young kids do with this social media stuff where it's all about engagement instead of anything entertaining or anything of truth or of substance. It's all about eyeballs and it's all about entertainment or excuse me, it's all about engagement.
Speaker 2: That's all it's about.
Speaker 1: That's why you see people like the Paul Brothers doing ridiculously dumb things in order to get attention. And yes, all these people are making a lot of money, and good for you, go get your bag. I'm not a hater that way, but it was a circus at Big twelve Media Day, just to watch Dion and his two kids walk into the facility, let alone what they're doing throughout the course of the season or what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Throughout the course of the draft process.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can't speak for any NFL general manager about how they feel about having to deal with a circus with a prospect that isn't considered to be a home run. Like That's what I think a lot of people are missing. Even a lot of the analysts that thought Shador should be a first round pick or even higher than that, maybe a top ten pick, all talked about maybe the lack of size, or he's only played for his dad his entire career, or are there entitlement attitude issues. This was not Peyton Manning come out of Tennessee. This was not Andrew Luck coming out of Stanford. This was not a can't miss prospect. Should or had a lot of questions that a lot of very smart football people brought up. And because of that, if you add the circus to the questions, I'm not really surprised that we saw him slide. I'm surprised that we saw him slide to the fifth round. I think a lot of people figured Cleveland with that first pick in the second round was sitting pretty or Pittsburgh who badly needs quarterback help throughout the course of their mid round picks. But to slide all the way down to the fifth round just has to indicate that it's not just the questions about who he is as a player. You do not want to back up quarterback who's also part of the circus. I mean, as a Jets fan and Tim Tebow and should are much different people and much different players. But as a Jets fan with Tebow was in New York, it was wild because Tim Tebow had this thing where he was the celebrity. He was the main act, even though he was not a good NFL quarterback. But he goes to Denver and actually they've got a nasty defense, a good run game.
Speaker 2: They were able to win some games to go to the playoffs.
Speaker 1: So all the Tebow supporters were like, se told you Jesus lives and all the tee bou haters are like, okay, just wait, it's not gonna work because he's not very good at it. Like it didn't change anybody's mind about who Tim Tebow was but from an organizational standpoint, that has to bring a lot of headaches. Johnny Manzel after he lost his starting job and became the celebrity backup, only caused issues. So when you do the math here a little bit, I don't think it's that much of a surprise that he did slide. I think it is a surprise that he's slid all the way to the fifth round. And now we'll see if he uses this as juice and motivation and fuel to prove a lot of people wrong. But from a local standpoint, a quiet NFL draft cycle, hopefully that is not anything that last consistently.
Speaker 2: Ila got Smitty Live in.
Speaker 1: Studio, Richard Smith, who spent forty years with Utah Jazz. We'll do some jazz basketball, some lottery, some playoffs. You're gonna do some NFL draft later on, do some RSL with Sam Junkwall, who scored a goal over the weekend. But one of our favorite spats lead off on this Monday afternoon, Matt Brown writes the college football, well college athletics, but football heavy newsletter extra points that we use on the show quite a bit.
Speaker 2: Matt, Happy money man.
Speaker 6: How you doing, Hey, I'm doing great. It's sunny, it's eighty degrees here in Chicago. There's no way I could possibly be upset, even if it means that I'm going to be writing a lot this week about legal stuff.
Speaker 2: I know you will, and we'll get into it.
Speaker 1: I've got to give you my hot Chicago take, though it's my favorite summer city in America, and then on either side of summer, I'm like, I gotta get out, i gotta do something else.
Speaker 6: I mean, I've lived here for post for a decade now, I don't think that's a hot take. Most people who live here think the same thing. From May until September. I think it's the best place in the entire country, and it's good enough that I still want to live here. But in January, and I've lived most of my life in the Midwest, I still want to walk in front of a truck by the inch. And it's not just because it's like six degrees, because it's it's less of that now, just you don't see the sun right. Even even every time I land in Utah step outside the plane, it's like, oh yeah, it turns out my body does need vitamin D to like not want to die. I understand why people are happier here. That's that's part of it.
Speaker 2: Now for sure.
Speaker 1: When the weather warms up, you're like, you know, I'm not depressed. I'm just cold, so now bad? I feel better now, I feel better now? All right, Matt, I'm just stealed thirty thousand foot viewpoint here.
Speaker 2: Like, where are we at with House.
Speaker 1: B NCAA, Like, what's the timeline and what's the latest?
Speaker 2: What should we know as of today, on this Monday, Well as.
Speaker 7: Of today, there's been a little bit of a wrinkle, right Like, over the last honestly six plus months, almost everybody in at the highest levels of college athletics and in the power conferences and conference offices have been operating on the assumption that.
Speaker 6: This is going to get approved essentially as is in early April, And all the revenue sharing and IL deals that have gone out to athletes in the last recruiting class, and a lot of like vendor hires, you know, have been pretty explicit like this, all of this is contingent upon the settlement being approved Evan. Last week, Judge Wilkins says, if you guys don't fix this roster limit issue that I've pointed out now multiple times, I'm going to blow up the settlement. So what we have now is that theifs, the plaintiffs Council, and the NCUBA and the power conference folks have to get together and have to make a decision. Do we want to blow up this settlement and take this thing to trial where if we lose, the liability for the NC DOUBLEA and major conferences is twelve billion dollars, which I believe would essentially liquidate the NC double A if you want to roll the dice on court, or do we want to grandfather in roster limits and figure out some sort of way to make restitution to the athletes that have been harmed by our refusal to grandfather in roster limit clauses. And on the surface, you would think, well, that's that's an easy decision. Of course, you should grandfather in the roster limits. Why are we gonna let the thirty first person on a track roster blow this whole thing up? But as we wrote today, it actually gets pretty messy because a lot of athletes got cut last year, and you might have some people that are on other schools now entirely or maybe out of the game, And do you let them back in do you allow a waiver to let some Olympic sport athletes potentially compete for two schools in one calendar year? You might have to if you're gonna want to comply with this ruling. We're gonna find out in a little over a week what they decide.
Speaker 2: To do a little over a week.
Speaker 1: So is that can we finally say we actually have like a hard deadline, like a drop dead date?
Speaker 2: Is that what we're expecting?
Speaker 6: Now I'm gonna have to go double check on my computer fit exact date. But when Wilkins letter last week was you got fourteen days figure this out? Yeah, we can finally you know, crap or get off the pot. I would, I would. I would still be pretty surprised if this settlement is not approved. But given the way the NCAA and Power Conference attorneys have kind of acted over the last couple of months, I can't say at zero percent.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's why I followed up, because you know every day, I mean, you're one of my first stops because we utilized a lot of the stuff you ride for the show. And then I try to see if Ross has anything the usual suspects, and it seems like all you guys that are plugged in are doing the best you can to nail down a date, but it seems to be fluid. Are you Is there any part of you that's surprised that we are sitting here now looking May right in the face in the next few days and we are still dealing with all this ambiguity.
Speaker 6: I'm a little surprised, and I probably shouldn't be. You know, one thing that was just reiterated to me by so many athletic directors oh for February and March, whether they were at big schools or small schools, was we don't know what's going on right. We are intellect actually aware of this settlement. Charlie Baker sent him out a couple of messages, But honestly, we hear about it from you or from Ross or from the Coleus often before we do anybody in Indianapolis. And that's just because all of this is being done by a handful of of attorneys, some of who moved you are outside council, and I think it was pretty clear that the folks that were doing the negotiating over the house settlement were not plugged in and didn't really care all that much about softball players or soccer players or how any of this stuff might affect Utah Valley University. And it turns out the judge has held a little bit differently about that. So if you were going to limit your decision making and your inputs to this very small group of people and this very small class of athletes, yeah, there are a lot of problems here that I think could have been addressed a couple of months ago and are not. That's sort of the story of the NCAA though.
Speaker 1: For college football fans college but I mean fans of collegian athletics, but mainly you knowllege football fans. Uh in college basketball too, both of the revenue generators have been adversely affected. What would you say as far as what's realistic to hope and expect once this is across the line, Like on the scale of there will still be a ton of chaos on one end of the spectrum, and this will finally bring guidelines and guardrails on the other end of the spectrum that will clean this stuff up. What's realistic to expect pretty quickly after this is across the line?
Speaker 6: I think I think if and when this is this is settled. What I would tell for what I would tell fans is now you can have some measure of structure for the next academic year. And honestly, that's about all I would say. The folks from at Indianapolis and at the Power Conferences are really hoping that this settlement would create something of a de facto CBA that would provide cost certainty and structure over the next over the next decade, and protection from additional litigation. At this point, I think there's no chance of that happening. As soon as this is done and dusted, there there will be three other lawsuits ready to go to challenge this on titleline consideration to challenge this from the athletes that opted out and still want another another crack at the antitrust tonata, and the second that Deloitte or whoever ends up kind of functioning as this intermediary clearing house tries to invalidate a Bagman deal, They're going to be in federal court two weeks later, so that going there's gonna be some stability, just because you know, millions of dollars of contracts have been sent out that are contingent upon this thing happening. In July. But I can't tell you what's going to happen in twenty twenty seven. Your athletic director and your football coach can't tell you. And I think anybody that says they absolutely can is selling you something.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's move over here because I feel like, yeah, I don't know, Matt, maybe you've been coming on the show for four or five years. And after nil and transferport will became a reality, and it was clear that administrators and leaders had failed everybody because they're there wasn't anything that was prepared as far as okay, now, now we know that this is the reality, but here's how it's going to work. Here are the mechanisms, okay, And none of that was in place, which has led to a ton of chaos and sports that we all love. And I've asked you at different stops whether or not we are at some point going to move into a reality of college athletics looking very much like professional athletics, and the players will be able to unionize and they will be able to collectively bargain with whatever the governing body looks like.
Speaker 2: And where will there be a commissioner?
Speaker 1: Will college football look like the NFL will college basketball look like the NBA? And you know, a smart guy like you has been able to help us understand based off of you know, the Trump administration and changes they're going to make. How you know things have changed in that direction. Where where are we at now as far as your belief of what I know? You just said you don't know what twenty twenty seven is going to look like. But my opinion, Matt, is the only thing that will settle most of the the issues that are causing the chaos is a pro model. I still believe that to be true. Do you think at some point we are going to see that?
Speaker 2: Whenever?
Speaker 6: That is what my opinion on this I think is pretty different from most of my national reporter colleagues, and they may very well be right. Maybe this is me being you know, too much of a chicken little or something, but I legitimately think there is a better than fifty percent chance that this Congress passes some sort of college sports bill. Now that bill may be something that every single economist and agent and lawyer on Twitter absolutely hates. It might be a bill that I really don't like, but I think I think there is more momentum and a political coalition that's that's more equipped to make that happen than there has been over the past couple of years. And my professional opinion, like the dry Little Secret, is no matter whether you want a clusive bargaining agreement and and and athletes as employees and a union and that kind of structure, or whether you want to try to roll this thing back to nineteen ninety seven and give the schools a lot more empowerment to enforce amateurism rules, either of those solutions is going to require Congress, because right now the NC double A is not empowered to make or enforce virtually any kind of rule without the forts system ruling and shipping away at it. So I don't look at that and necessarily think that was lack of administrator leadership. The lack of administrator leadership was probably more in two thousand and seven than in twenty twenty four. But you could come up with the best plan in the world. I can sit out here and I can write a three thousand word compromise that a lot of people would agree with tomorrow, and a second it's enforced, it's going to get smacked down on anti trust grounds. I personally think that there are there are sixty votes in the US Senate to pass something that says, Okay, we're going to give the nc DOUBLEA a limited and conditional antitrust exemption to enforce or some of these rules, and we're gonna say that college football players cannot be employees, and that designation only is true if the NCAA commits to X, Y Z, and we can reassess it every two or three years. And it's gonna make it's gonna make a lot of trial lawyers pretty angry. But that might be the most reasonable, the easiest path here, because I mean, you know this even better than I do locally, Right, there's a lot of states that don't allow or don't want collective bargaining for public employees. And if you're in a place where you're not gonna let the firefighters and the cops and the teachers do it, you're not gonna let middle linebackers do it either.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's operate off the hypothetical that what you just outlined will be the direction. Do you agree with the direction? Is that what you would like to see happen for the sport? Do you think that's the right move? Because I maintain mad that I and I will stay on the hill where I do think the right move is the pro model. I mean, if players sign contract actually at least they're on campus for a couple of years, if there is a salary cap, and I'm using professional terms, then maybe it does even the playing.
Speaker 2: Field a little bit.
Speaker 1: And of course there's always money paid into various ways, but that's not new.
Speaker 2: That's been going on forever.
Speaker 1: So if if there is a salary structure, a salary cap, and contracts where players are on campus for a couple of years, I believe that to be the right route. If the congressional bill that you're talking about is the route, do you think that will go a long way to alleviate some of the issues that we always talk about.
Speaker 6: I think the bill that's coming is something that's going to be written by Ted Cruz, and I admit I am generally not the kind of person who's going to go and say with my full chest, I love this bill that Ted Cruz wrote, or that that Senator Lee is also going to support that. I'm sure we agree on something. It's a it's probably a smaller list and my understanding because I've heard about drafts of this of this bill is kind of circulated around and is not. It's not really a secret anymore. It wouldn't look like that very much like it wouldn't move to that professional model like now in my opinion, which I know makes for lousy sports radio. Is I think it depends on the kind of athlete you're talking about. Like, do I think that professionalization and employment status and contracts of track athletes and Division one college athletics makes sense? I'd say probably not. It's very rare that I run into somebody who wants that, and and that model will probably lead to worse outcomes than what we have right now. Do I think that Big twelve football players and Big twelve basketball players should be employees and have a union and head collectively bargain. I do, But I also am am, I can't. I don't say that with like deep authoritative absolutely, because I it's one thing to say we want collective bargaining when a union doesn't exist. It's another thing to have somebody on the other side of that table to do that negotiating. And that doesn't exist right now, and if it's created by management by Congress. By Jim Cabay, at athletes dot Org out of kind of siat. I think it's going to get its butt kicked for the first several years, which is often what happened to athlete unions. So then it's like, Okay, do I well this do I want something that will make my life easier as a reporter, my life easier as a fan, and will probably benefit my personal fandom. I went to Ohio State. I root for the bluest of the blue blood football programs like it would probably benefit me, and hope that it would benefit athletes in twelve years, even if it sucks for people in the short term that's harder. I as not a cop out, honest to God, Like, I don't think there's a I just don't think there's an easy answer out there. If there is, we probably would have done it by now.
Speaker 1: So for college football and college basketball fans that cannot stand the fact that we no longer get to know these kids, we no longer get to you know, the great Rick mcjari's teams always had the Keith van Horns and the Andre Millers and the Britton Johnson's that stayed until they were juniors and seniors. And you and I have talked about the dynamic of the best Utah football teams were comprised of kids a coach with recruited that maybe weren't all that highly thought of and then developed into juniors and seniors and NFL players and those who have been the best Utah football and basketball rosters. I think it's pretty much the same thing with Breagham young. So fans that cannot stand the fact that they're losing their favorite players every year, would you just say that you better get used to it, because that's how it's going to be.
Speaker 6: Probably unless the Byus and Utah's of the world begin to recruit a very different kind of person and begin to really go out of their way to offer value independent of just money. And a lot of programs like to talk about, hey we want to be transformational, we don't want to be transactional like and I believe in their heart they mean that, but it's hard to get a twenty year old to buy into it when you don't under a twenty years Like if we legal back at time and talk to our twenty year old selves and look at various schools, I mean like, hey, well if you going to this school, look how much money their forty year old alumni make and look how this is connected to US world and news report and look at it. All these things that will pay off in your thirties. We wouldn't care. We would care about the amount of money that's available right now, playing time, maybe availability of cute girls, and maybe proximity to mom and dad, right. And I know that schools try to do this. I know that both BYU and Utah don't recruit every single five star guy because you need somebody who's going to be comfortable in Utah, somebody who's going to be successful in this kind of environment. Probably not somebody who wants to be on every single commercial. But I think it will be very difficult in the foreseeable future to keep eighty five percent of the kids that you sign as high schoolers, or eighty percent of them on your team moving forward. It's it's difficult to look somebody in the eye and say, no, you shouldn't go accept that eight hundred thousand dollars check at Arkansas.
Speaker 1: That's hard, Yeah, for sure. And you know one more thing here than I do. I would by you questioned, because we were talking about this earlier in the show, Like the dynamic of NIL. I don't think is a bad I don't think it's a bad thing. I don't think in theory. I think it's a positive thing. NIL itself, to me, isn't the problem, right, It's the way it's administered.
Speaker 2: It's the lack of guidelines and guardrails.
Speaker 1: So you know, ultimately to your point, I would never have the nerve to tell anybody to turn out a bag like we're all trying to make our way through the world. And if you could parlay your newsletter into ten times what you're making right now, then go do it.
Speaker 2: Whatever that looks like.
Speaker 1: If I had a different offer to do the show in a different market for five times my salary, I want to go be able to do that. So I don't necessarily begrudge any young athlete for going to get their money at all. But is there any sort of way that we haven't necessarily discussed to make sure that those decisions.
Speaker 2: And I know they've tried to close the portal.
Speaker 1: Here and and and the calendar is not as wide open as it used to be, But outside of signing a contract, I just don't see any other way of keeping these kids on campus if they can I mean, we've had a couple of transfer portal losses for the Utes just over the past couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: You know, Zach William's going to US seed and there's.
Speaker 1: All this debate online about you know, there's the incestuous nature between the Utah and BYU coaching staff.
Speaker 2: Right, and so are you poaching on Twitter?
Speaker 6: Right? Right?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they're poaching our player and like you can't call it poaching because it's allowed.
Speaker 2: It's not against the rules. Like nobody is doing anything to fari us here.
Speaker 1: So is there a way, uh to you know, because again to your point, go get your back.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying I'm not saying don't.
Speaker 1: But is there a way to at least keep these kids on campus for a couple of years. That's a good situation for them and the institution.
Speaker 6: So I think there's there's a couple of things. If I can wave a magic wand right, because we actually we do have contracts, right, Like I in addition to running a newsletter, I have a software product that that collects coach and administrator and vendor contracts and I sell that to newsrooms and agencies and other people. And there are contracts between schools and athletes that are in there. And we're seeing this right now with Arkansas about Arkansas's ability to recoup some of that buyout money from you know, from from Nico's little brother, and and there's there's a good legal case to be had that those those posits are not enforceable. So then even a contract doesn't necessarily help, Like it kind of depends on what some judges and lawyers end up saying. One policy that does not get discussed very much federally that I think would meaningfully help, and this is something that I think lawmakers could do, even in Utah, is to have actual, aggressive and meaningful agent licensing metrics and a law enforcement body or some kind of enforcement body, maybe it's the Utah State Bar maybe it's the FTC maybe I don't know, and anybody short of the Highway Police that basically requires you, if you're going to represent an athlete in these kind of deals, to pass some kind of baseline competence and ethics exam, just like we do for lawyers. If I want to practice law on the state of Utah, I have to be barred in this in the state. I'm on a registry and if I act on ethically, I can lose my license and not continue to practice law. There's and and and for professional athletes in the NBA, in the NFL and NHL, their agencies have created these kind of benchmarks. To the extent that state laws or federal laws exist governing sports agents, they're almost uniformly not enforced. And I think a lot of the problems legitimately in college athletics roster management come from unqualified, unscrupulous and and you know, agent with with poor ethics. And if there were meaningful professional consequences to the guys that are trying to you know, push people into the portal who aren't in there right now so they could collect twenty percent, I think that's going to drop some of this stuff down, because it's not the people at CAA and Rock Nation and Wassermen that are escalating what we're seeing so much, particularly in college basketball.
Speaker 1: All Right, before I say you lose, you know, there's continues to be I think it's a fascinating story. You know, for years and years and years, as soon as the ability to pay players became a reality and we kind of understood what NIL was, I did a show the next ask said This is great news for BYU.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: If they want to get in the game, if they want to get involved, if they want to start really opening up their checkbooks. And I've got to be careful here because people get mad. I'm not saying the church. I'm saying a lot of the alums that have gone on to start MLMs, whether they're.
Speaker 2: Legal or not, they make a lot of money.
Speaker 1: And you know these CEOs of companies, Silicon Slopes and such, and the number I've been told Matt is BYU currently has nine seven figure donors. And the irony is a lot, a lot of the a lot of the money spent, a lot of the resources spent is being spent on the basketball program. And I wonder how this lands with Collatate. But since you and I last spoke, the reports are aj the bans is being paid seven million dollars for five months in basketball.
Speaker 2: You reference that we do have contracts.
Speaker 1: Well, according to Jeff Goodman, Robert Wright, the Baylor freshman, signed a contract with Baylor for a million. BYU offered three and he said, okay, I'm gone. Richie Saunders is coming back. Reported seven figure deal for Richie. When you do the math based off the reporting BYU Basketball has a roster that's going to cost whoever's writing checks for the Royal Blue Collective about thirteen to fifteen million dollars. I wonder what you make of you know, Travis Hanson who played at BYU and others. Here's what Travis had to say said, quote, there's this narrative that we outbid people.
Speaker 2: We don't.
Speaker 1: We outlove them, We outdeveloped them, and we outpurposed them. And it just makes me want to throw up in my mouth because don't tell me I'm not seeing what I'm seeing. I just wonder why they can't, because look, I don't think you should run from it like you should be doing victory laps. That you have enough donors and you have enough economic power to attract players and give Kevin Young a roster the most people believe is a top five roster in college basketball next year. Why don't they just say the thing that's actually happening.
Speaker 6: You know, boy, that is a really good question. And I would love to have that conversation, even if it has to be off the record with some folks that have BYU dot edu email addresses. And I say this not to point a finger at BYU. I think some of that approach is almost universal everywhere in college athletics. I remember when I was at the National Championship game in football and Ohio State one and the castetti had fallen, and I'm standing next to Ross new York, who's Ohio State's athletic director, and I wrote a story about this. One of the first things he told me was we did not have the highest pay role in college football, which I actually believe, and I would as I would talk to agents on the football side, they would say, like, Ohio State was very competitive, but they're usually not the highest bidder. And I don't know anybody that says, hell, yeah, we're the highest bidder. Absolutely, we're going to go drop the most money other than Texas, A and M, and we kind of know they kind of know how that happens. I think personally part of the issue. And when I'm about to say here is not me being critical. This is just my what what I have perceived and seen through, you know, having lived most of my life as a latter day saying the BYU and the church as an extension of that, do not really drop the bag on anybody.
Speaker 7: If you're going to go.
Speaker 9: If you're being a professor, if you're going to be a professor of YU or a software developer or somebody else, you're usually not paid top of market. And part of that is because like, well, don't you want to come work here and be in provo and then be in the heart of everything. And for some people, they absolutely do, and that drops you know, that that's drops the labor price.
Speaker 6: Down a little bit. The you know, we all know that the folks that are doing a ton of work at an ecclesiastical level are unpaid. Like there is a a huge culture of I'm not doing this for the money, I think anywhere at a church affiliated institution, And I am not criticizing that. In many ways, I think that's very noble. But if that is true, and you're anybody working within an LDS enterprise, and then you look out and then you see a donor, you know, not an LDS employee, but you know a donor you suddenly paying top dollar for basketball I and and that, and that's kind of what's going out there in the marketplace. I can see how that might revi you the wrong way. I again, not a criticism, but I feel like I get mixed messages from listening to people at CEES or or are really close to the program about like, we don't want to be the high bidder. We want to be a value centered program. We want to do X, Y or Z versus the numbers that can get reports bi secular basketball media. And I don't know if there is a way you can square the circle with we want to do things the BYU way, however you define that, and on what's happening now. I don't blame anybody for going. I don't know if this makes sense, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, for sure, for sure.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting time out this way, and that's a good team.
Speaker 2: Kevin has done a good job.
Speaker 1: And I'm you know, yeah, Like I said, I have no yeah, for sure, and I have no issues with you doing what you have to do within the landscape of what's allowed to acquire talent. Just don't tell me I'm not seeing what I'm seeing. It's very flood the zone, muddy the water, Steve Bannon like. But anyway, I've kept you too long, Matt. Where can people go get the work?
Speaker 6: You bet you can find my work which covers off the field stories in the college athletics industry at extra Points MB dot com. Working on some other original reporting and some stuff related to video games, which I know is the most consumers would rather hear you talk about than antitrust law. So you can find all of that at extra Points MB.
Speaker 2: Enjoy that, Chicago Sunshine Man, thanks for the time.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, yeah, thank you. I appreciate you all right.
Speaker 1: Matt Brown stops by today courtesy of our good friends at IFA Country Stores. As the weather gets warmer, you might want to start looking and thinking about your lawn care and he drive to the basket begins with the first step on the court.
Speaker 2: That's the ultimate power move.
Speaker 1: IFA step born crabgrass Preventer and Lawn Food is the first choice to give your yard the healthy green look you admire.
Speaker 2: The neighbors will be green with envy.
Speaker 1: You can shop IFA online at IFA dot co Oper stop by one of their neighborhood stores today.
Speaker 5: He's the Pride of Norwich, Connecticut and an adopted son of Salt Lake City. After forty years with the Utah Jazz, there's no one better to talk some hoops. Richard Smitty Smith is back on the drive on ESPN seven hundred.
Speaker 1: Get back to some NFL draft takeaways. Good stuff with Matt Brown today. Always a challenging interview or guy that is that bright and talks that fast, So so many interesting storylines around the world of college athletics right now. Matt does a great job writing Extra Points, a newsletter that is a daily stop for me. But live in studio our guy who's getting ready to take a trip that is making me very, very jealous. He's heading down south. He spent some time with their friends at Black Desert. Richard Smitty Smith's SMITTI Happy Monday, sir, How are.
Speaker 8: You, Spence? Were doing great?
Speaker 10: I'm excited to h to be going down to Ivans or Saint George and see the Black Desert and first time ever I'll be in an LPGA tournament, So to see the best women golfers in the world tear it up in person and see how precise they are. You know, when I watch them on TV, they just they're always in control, They got everything lined up their hands and show they you know, they're just so good at that, you know, and so excited to see that in person and see what it looks like.
Speaker 1: Good field too, right, I was seaking that they have like seven of the top ten golfers on the Lpgah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, I think the I think the tournament if I understand it correctly, and and I don't know this for sure, but my understanding is that they've they've arranged with whoever they could get from the UH from the first major of the year last week in Texas UH to come up to this tournament and are flying them all up in private jets and said, hey, you come to the tournament.
Speaker 8: We got you covered. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 10: You know, we'll get you from A to B and make sure you're all situated at the at the resort, and and and and for professional golfers at any level, you know, anything you can do to to entice them, you know, to be part of your thing is you know, is a big deal. And so that's UH, that's exciting for the for the organizers.
Speaker 1: We had Patrick mannon on last week and I kindly offered UH to allow the plane. No, I kindly offered to allow me to be picked up by a private jet to go play at Black Desert, and he plightly declined, well really, yeah, I was surprised.
Speaker 10: Well, he probably declined because he thought, well, Spence is just pulling my leg. He's got his own private plane. He's just trying to say.
Speaker 1: Time, let alone a private plane at this port, Smittie. But I'm jealous, man. You'll have a good time, all right. I want to start with a non NBA story. Shador Sanders slides to the fifth round of the NFL Draft. And you're a guy that for forty years, throughout the course of your time with the Jazz, you were in a lot of war rooms. He worked with Franken Scott and then Kevin O'Connor and Dennis Lindsay, what is the process like? Because clearly, and look who knows we were talking about this during the break. The NFL draft media cover just full of grifters. It's full of people that claim to know what they're talking about, and the same grifters. So on Wednesday, I'm listening to all these draft experts and it's Shador is three to the Giants.
Speaker 2: It's twenty one of the Steelers.
Speaker 1: But he's not fallen out of the first round, and if he does, the Browns are right there in the second.
Speaker 2: Nobody said fifth round.
Speaker 1: And the same grifters today are saying, well, my intel over the weekend said well, this is why he slid this, that would I don't know what to believe exactly, but throughout the course of analyzing these young prospects the interview process, what what what's your take when you see this precipitous slide for a player that a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Thought would go very early on.
Speaker 10: Well, that's the thing that that that's really fascinating to me about the whole Shoodo Sanders thing. And I'm just a casual NFL fan. I follow it, you know, like anybody else sitting up in row forty five, you know, on the on the end zone, you know, at games, but they you know, all the stuff leading up to it, right was was him going in the top ten, you know, maybe he gets to the mid first round or something, but he's one of the top quarterback prospects. And then to fall that far from what everybody was saying, especially your guy mel Kiper, you know, was one of the loudest voices in the room about it. And that was a very interesting exchange they had towards the end of the get with the panel that he was with trying to defend himself and and and all those kinds of things. And that's what happens when you stick your neck out like that, you know, and make predictions that that you you know, you really don't quite know what's going to happen. But but for a guy like Sanders to slide all the way to the fifth, fifth round from what he did in college and also what everybody was saying ahead of the draft was going to happen regarding him, it's fascinating to me because that says to me, Spence, having having worked in these kind of environments over the years, there's other things behind the scenes that no one's talking about, whether they know them or they're not aware of what they are, and they can't talk about them simply because of lack of information or knowledge. But other things, whether it's you know this thing about you know that that he called half the teams ahead of time and said, don't don't select me. He did the the Eli Manning thing that everybody forgets about, you know, way back when when Eli Manning and his dad said, hey, we know we're not going to go to San Diego, so don't you know or you got to trade them or something, you know, now, how it all fell out or the John Elway thing and all that kind of stuff way back in the day. That's not unprecedented, that happening. But if you do that, then the front offices you're talking to, the organizations you're talking to, you know, they're sitting in their rooms and they're going, Hey, the guy called us and he doesn't want to play here. Do we like him enough that you know, we don't care about that, because this is the process and we're responsible for our own organization and to make it better or is it a borderline thing where it's just not worth it and we just go to Plan B whatever. And that's why he kept sliding, sliding, sliding, And then you have the issue with you know, position in football. Obviously, there's so many different positions. We get to our pick in the third round. Yeah, we like shud or Sanders, but we really need a middle linebacker, and the kid from Ohio State still there, we got to take him. And so if you went over everybody's boards and draftless, you'd probably see teams that would say, oh, yeah, we like standers, but we had four other positions that we had to you know, take care of first before we got to that point. And so there's a lot of those those kind of a moving parts that are involved, but something as precipitous is supposed to be in the first half of the first round to the fifth round is really saying something about people don't like his act off the court, they don't off the field, they don't like, you know, all the social media stuff. They don't like the circus that surrounds him. He's not really that good to have to deal with that stuff. I don't know. It's just there's something in that regard that I think is fascinating because at some point it'll start leaking out where teams will say, yeah, well, you know, I talked to the other four of my colleagues around the league, and we all said, why are dealing with that thing? You know, because that's not worth it, you know, you know, whatever it is. And so that that, to me is the fascinating part. Now, the flip of it to me was when they showed him being selected by the Browns, and you know, you would have thought he just was the first first pick of the draft the way he reacted right, the dancing and doing the stuff, and they didn't show any any kind of you know, sulking or head down or any of that kind of stuff. So you know, if if that's the real reaction or if that's just for for you know, made for TV, as we say, or or what have you. But they were smart and you know and saying, hey, when this happens, dude, whenever it is, you know, you can't be looking like that guy over in the corner who just broke up with his girlfriend.
Speaker 8: You gotta you gotta make it look good. Yeah, I got it. I got it.
Speaker 10: And it seems like he's probably savvy enough to understand that and handle it that way.
Speaker 1: You referenced the reports that Shador and his reps, whether it was Dion or what have you, contacting certain teams and saying don't draft him, We're not gonna come. He doesn't want to play for you. Over the years that you spent with the Utah Jazz. You know, we were talking off air a little bit. There are a lot of public reports that people know about the Derek Harper's of the world, the Ronnie Seycheles of the world. Your former boss, Dennis Lindsay went on a podcast last year and actually talked to Dennis about this because I heard it, and he said during the height of the Mitchell Gobert Conley group, he had an opportunity to make a trade for what he characterized as a star player, and the agent called Dennis and said, don't do it.
Speaker 2: He's not coming.
Speaker 1: So you know, whether it was through the draft or whether it was via free agency or trades over the years, whether it was Scotty and Frank or Kevin O'Connor or Dennis lindsay, when you guys received intel that my guy's not coming, doesn't want to play. If you don't draft him, don't trade for him, don't sign him, how'd you handle it?
Speaker 10: Well, it's always a difficult thing because, first of all, your responsibility, first and foremost is to the organization, to your ownership group, and obviously to your fans to do the best you can to put the best product out on the floor. And so you have to balance. You know, what you think is going to make sense for your group, and you know what the attitude approach, the the overall mindset of the individual is who you're going to try and add to the group. You know, nobody wants to deal with a male content. Nobody wants to deal with somebody who you have to talk them into you know, playing nice with the other kids in the room, like it's you know, nobody wants to have to do that. Sometimes you have to do that. And I always call that the uh the Iverson effect, meaning like how good is the player and how much does he bring to your group to offset what the headaches and and all the other issues are you know, off the basketball court, and so how do those balance each other? And and and you call it the Irison effect because Allen Iverson in his career was such a good player and so impactful and so dynamic on the floor that the people I know for a fact who had to work with him all during his career said, yeah, it was a lot of heavy lifting and there was a lot of pain on our part, but we just had to figure it out from day to day because he's so good. So how much of that is in the equation? And so you know, when when agents call you and they say, hey, look, my guy doesn't really want to come to the Salt Lake. He doesn't want to do this, you know, it's always a long discussion because because you're trying to sell yourself, but at the same time you have to realize, you know what, how is this going to impact our overall group? We're trying to add in that regard to the group. We're trying to improve our situation as it currently stands. If we bring in a guy who doesn't want to be here and a guy who says ahead of time, Hey, I don't want to come, but if I have to come, I'm not going to be happy about it, then you have to deal with that. So how does that going to impact the rest of the group. So there's a fine balancing line there, Spence, because because you have to do your business to to what you feel is going to help your group, but at the same time, what the business you do, do you think then it's going to be some kind of detriment to your group because of the attitude that's that's coming with it. So it's always a fine a fine balancing act that that's that's never there's no blueprint for every single one in that regard is its own entity and comes with its own set of challenges.
Speaker 1: And it's tough because you know, look, Ronnie Seychlee wasn't a chem olaju on, but he would have. I don't know what that team would have looked like. But that's exactly what you needed. And the player Dennis was talking about to make the trade to kind of supplement the growth that Rudy and Donovan he told me off the record, and it would have been a great addition.
Speaker 2: That's what you needed.
Speaker 1: How do you how do you balance that where it's like, look, I know you don't want to come here, but then on the other side, you're like, but if you do, we got a shot to win the thing. I mean, do you have a conversation with a player or is it is it back and white? If they're gonna be a malecontend and they're not an Iverson type talent, you say, okay.
Speaker 2: Go kick go kick rocks.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Well it's again, every single one is handled differently, and you have to take in all all facets of what uh, the the situation is, all the different areas that you're that you're involved in there in terms of skill ability, talent, attitude, uh, work, ethic, all those kinds of things, uh, and then figure.
Speaker 8: In you you have to know what your group is about.
Speaker 10: So then you have to figure out, well, if we if we can do something like this, maybe the guys in our group that are here can win that person over okay, But it's really a sticky situation when when it comes up, and it's not always uh, it's never the most comfortable because you always feel like we're trying to do what's best for our group. You know, this guy we think can help us, this guy says he doesn't want to be here.
Speaker 8: Whatever it is.
Speaker 10: Now we have to balance that, like, well, do we still want them? Do we still try and make that work because that's our job and the responsibility we have to the organization to try and do these things if and when they become available. Or do we just say, oh, it's too much work, forget it, We're going to plan B and we move on, which is it may not be in the best interest of the organization. So then you feel like, well, I'm not doing the job I'm supposed to do for our group.
Speaker 8: So it's always it's always a balance.
Speaker 10: It's always juggling and trying to figure out what really makes sense. Is the addition going to be better than the subtraction of not doing it at the end of the day. That's always the balance and the juggling act you have.
Speaker 1: I can remember the year Paul Pierce was coming out of Kansas and I was doing some work with the Knicks during their draft prep and process, and the Knicks had Paul Pierce as their number one ranked player that year, famously fell to tend to Boston and had a Hall of Fame career and won a championship with the Celtics. The most famous Jazz draft story of a player who slid that benefited you, guys, I think is Carl right. Whenever I look at that eighty five draft, that was a stack draft. Ewing went and one, of course, but players like Xavier McDaniel, Chris Molin, Debt of Shrimp, Charles Oakley, even a player like Waymon Tisdale, you know John Conkak. That was a good draft. But Carl slides, you guys at thirteen and I've heard Frank tell the story a million times, which is a great story. And then of course I was a kid, but I remember him getting up to the podium and saying, we're drafted a mailman. So I want you to talk us through what that was like to watch Carl slide when you guys had him analyze as one of the top I don't know two or three players. Any other stories as well come to mind about players that slid to you guys that you benefited.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, well, Carl, you know, it is obviously the biggest one there.
Speaker 8: He was.
Speaker 10: He was projected during that draft to go so between four and seven, and everybody believed that he would be going no later than seven to Dallas because he was from that area and it was going to be a regional type pick, and and the people in that area that part of the country knew him well from Louisiana Tech. And and then when when Dallas took I think it was Bill Garnett, Is that who was Delas shremp Was it Dellas Trump?
Speaker 1: Dallas traded with Cleveland according to the draft have up. So Mullen went seven in Golden State, Deallas, Shrimp went eight, Oakley went nine.
Speaker 10: Okay, yeah, that was and then and so he started sliding. And part of the slide, as we understood at that time, and I think it's still the case, is that, you know, looking back on it was just that there were teams that are a little bit scared off because his his college coach wasn't his best advocate in that regard. He had some some things that he wasn't quite sure about, you know, uh, how Carl worked and and and what he was bring to a group, and so he didn't. He didn't do the best selling job for his player in that regard. So that scared off some teams and he started sliding. And then I know Kenny Green from Wake Forest was taking number twelve by by Washington just before the Jazz and and I remember Scott saying, Scott Layton saying to his dad at that moment in time on the draft stage, hey we got we got to take the kid from Louisiana Tech. And and Frank said, well, what's the matter with him? I thought he's supposed to go like top five, six and now he's at thirteen. Something's wrong. And Scott said, not that I know of. I haven't heard. I haven't heard anything.
Speaker 8: I'm not we don't have any intel in that regard.
Speaker 10: And Frank was like, are you sure that he doesn't have a bum knee or he didn't have some kind of legal problem we're not aware of or something, because something's going on, And Scott said, no, I don't. I don't know if there's anything. We don't have anything. He said, but he is good enough, he's talented enough that we just have to take him, and then we have to figure it out. And Frank said, okay, I hope, I hope you're right, and that was and that was the deal, and then we go and then Frank makes the call and then and then I do remember the subsequent press conference talking about it, and someone asked him about you, you know, think he's going to come in and help you with your scoring and and Frank said, well, we don't have a promise scoring. We have we have Adrian Dantley, and we have John Drew, and we have Darryl Griffith, and we have Ricky Green, who's kind of a scoring point guard sort of, he said, and then you know, we have them developing Mark Eaton, and we have a young thorough Bailey. He goes, but we are third, third to the last in the NBA and rebounding, so we hope that he can this guy from Louisiana Tech, Carl Malone, can come in and help us with our rebounding and some of our defense and stuff. And then if he scores eight or ten points a game, that'll be a bonus for us, and you know, thirty five thousand points later or whatever, or you know, so that's you know, and Spence, you have a million stories like that where where you can take a guy or work with a guy and think, well, we can put him in this hole and we think he can do such and such here, and then the guy ends up doing something else. It's far beyond that that you're going, well, I didn't know he could do that, you know, and then you look like the smart guy in the room. As Frank would always readily say when people said, oh, John Stockton, how'd you know he's gonna be such a one of the best point gauds of all time? And Frank would always say, well, first of all, if we knew he was gonna be that, we would have tried to trade up and get him in the top three or whatever, you know, which we didn't. And you know, that's just you know, there's a million of those draft day stories. You know, probably the biggest one about guys not wanting to come or whatever. It happened even before that with the Jazz in eighty three with Dominique Wilkins and the Jazz had the third pick and they took him, and he was he would have been a main cog in the Jazz group at that time and he simply said, I'm not I'm not moving to the Salt Lake City. I don't want to come. So you got to figure something out. And that's when the jazz said, well, then we will figure out some other thing. And they ended up making the trade that brought them John Drew and and and and Freeman and and some other stuff. But it was but that was a big deal because you're you're talking about a talented guy who went on to obviously an All Star and in the Hall of Fame career, and Dominique Wilkins and and uh so those are the things you have to deal with if if somebody's gonna stand their ground. Now see, domic Wilkins had a little bit of, uh, you know, leverage in that regard because he, even though it's not as prevalent as it is today, he was standing on the idea that hey, I'm not gonna come if if if you're not gonna move, make a move for me. I'll just go play in Italy or I'll go play in Spain. I'll make a living somehow doing that. Well that's that's that, that was the information we had. But but at the same time, but then you somebody like a Shador Sanders. We bring it back to there. Shador Sanders doesn't have anywhere else to go. He's not going to play football in China or playing football in Europe or whatever. So he wants to be a quarterback at the professional level. He's got one place to do it, and that's the NFL. So that's what's intriguing to me if some of the stories are accurate that they were calling teams saying, don't draft me, because I don't know why you would want to cut out anybody who may help you to get to where you want to be professionally.
Speaker 1: That eighty four draft, De la Juan won, of course, Jordan famously. Three after Portland goes Bowie Barkley at five, Charles Barkley at five, Alvin Robertson, Otis Thorp, Kevin Willis, and John john Stock and Michael Cage too, a great rebounder.
Speaker 2: That was a great draft.
Speaker 1: YEP, before we catch break, one more draft question, and I don't want to catch you off guard here, but is there a memory of a player that you guys passed on, that slid passed you and past some other teams that was drafted later on and you look back, and you say, oh, I think Tony.
Speaker 2: Parker Ral Lopez.
Speaker 1: I mean, was there was there a player that comes to mind that you guys wanted passed on went on to play really well.
Speaker 10: I mean, you know, you big up a good one with with Raoul Lopez and and Tony Parker.
Speaker 8: Those are the two guys we were zoing and on at the time.
Speaker 10: And and uh, you know, Raoul had an unfortunate knee injury right after we drafted him, uh, playing in the world what's now known as the World Couple World Basketball Championships and in Indianapolis, And he had never been hurt up until then. In fact, he had been a real durable young player and was really good. And the question at the time was we didn't know if Tony Parker was really a true point guard or if he was more of a combo guard that that maybe wouldn't be what you what you wanted at the time. And of course we're we're coming off at the end of of one of the greatest point guards of all time with John Stockton, so we're looking for a guy who we think fits that mold of a past, first, past, second guy, and Raoul Lopez was was all of that, and we had a lot of calls about Raoul right after the draft, about teams going, hey, you're gonna keep the Lopez kid because we're interested if if you're gonna stash him or do something else or whatever. And you know, so that was one that that still hurts today because you know, I think I think Raoul was all set up to be, you know, a really top level point guard at the NBA level and would have helped the Jazz a lot in that transition period.
Speaker 8: And and but.
Speaker 10: Then again, if we have Raoul Lopez and he's healthy and he's doing what he did early in his career in in in Spain and in Europe, then we might not have had Darren Williams because we might have said, oh, we got Raoul Lopez.
Speaker 8: We don't we don't need to pick it on Derek. You know.
Speaker 10: So all the all those things that domino type effects that are sometimes fascinating to look back and I go, oh, what if if this happened?
Speaker 8: Then what about that? You know, the old sliding doors theory.
Speaker 1: Sure, it's always so easy because every NBA front office has a lot of misses, a lot of misses. It's always so easy to say, oh, I think it was Alec Burks instead of Kawhi or Clay or something like that. Like it's easy to do that, you know, you swing and miss, and then if you're going to be critical of that, you have to say, well, Donovan late lottery, go Bear late first. The crazy thing, Smitty, before you catch a break, is the majority of the best players that you guys drafted, they weren't your highest picks, right.
Speaker 2: It was the.
Speaker 1: Karl in the late lottery, and John and the later first and Donovan late lottery and go Beart and Carolinko in the second round and mill Set right, like a lot of the best players we've had here have been great value picks later on.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, it's it's all to do with your scouting and the way you evaluate personnel. Andre A Lanco at twenty five, but he was also the third. We had three first round picks that year. Yeah, weirs, and we were trying to get we were trying to move Scott Laden was trying to move you know, at least one, if not two, of those picks, and we couldn't move them because other teams knew, you know that, well, they're not gonna take three first round guys, which we ended up doing just because you know, well they were offering us pennies on the dollar in trade scenarios.
Speaker 8: They said, well, am I gonna do that? We'll just say so.
Speaker 10: So it was actually Dave Friedman, you know in our in our group, who you know, said, you know, propose the idea of what if we take the carolinco kid and we just leave him in uh in Russia because he's under contract for another couple of years. And that really, in my opinion, you know, started Alwa was part of that wave of drafting guys who you knew were under contract overseas and just leaving them there for a year or two or three while their contracts ran out and let them develop over there where you didn't have to pay them and start that that clock on on on a contract. But guys like Paul Millsap who's drafted forty six, Well Williams has drafted forty six, uh, Jeff horniseac forty seven, you know, Mono Jenobili fifty two, all these guys, you know, guys that you you can find good players anywhere in the draft. Uh, but you just have to you have to do the homework. You have to you have to dig into the soil and really get your hands dirty, and then and then have the conviction of what you're seeing, uh, that that you think makes sense for your group. And so sometimes sometimes you get you get guys like that who can play, and they're they're undervalued and uh and you just have to say, well, we should have taken him one of the with our first round pick instead of our second round pick.
Speaker 1: The ninety nine draft wasn't great. Elton Brand was the number one overall pick. Steve Francis at two had a good career, Baron Davis at three.
Speaker 2: Lamar owed him at four.
Speaker 1: You know, Gordy talks about how can equally talented Lamar was coming out of college while he's Irbiak Hamilton, Sean Marry and Andre Miller, Trajan Langdon Corry mcghetty, Frederick Weiss, Ye New York Nick Fans root our test Ak at twenty four was probably the best value pick of the entire draft, to be honest with.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and he and uh, even at that time, I think most people would have most NBA people would have said, well, he's one of the more talented guys in the draft. But again, the teams that are drafting, usually especially Spence. When you're drafting early, that usually means it's because you haven't had a good season. Yeah, And if you haven't had a good season, you're looking for some kind of immediate help. And Andre Andre was smart because it was actually Andre and his agent both both thought hey, even though he was nineteen at the time. He said, no, I want to uh and this is this is this is very unique and interesting.
Speaker 8: He had said to his agent.
Speaker 10: His agent, well, you might not get drafted until later in the first round if you stay in the draft, but if you if you wait a year or two and you develop and play more in Russia, then we might get you higher and the draft. And Andre said to him, well, if I go now and I get drafted by a team later in the first round, that means more than likely I'm being drafted to a better team, and so I would rather have the opportunity to play with a better team when I go to the NBA, and I'm happy to play out my contract, which is another two years in Russia, which is what he did. So the Jazz drafted him, left him in Moscow for two more years, playing for Chesca and then when he was twenty one, he came over and he was ready to go, you know, compete at the NBA level. But a lot of guys, a lot of teams aren't going to take Andre you know, at eight or ten or twelve in that scenario because it's like, well he's not coming for two years, right, Well, we need help now because if we don't get help now, I'm out of a job next year if we lose again, right, I mean that's all yeah, that's all the the way the thinking goes. So so that was kind of a unique situation with Carolinko and the Jazz.
Speaker 1: All Right, it's made me some rough news and you just feel so bad because so much hope. When the Milwaukee Bucks traded for Damian Lillard to pare him next to Giannis, and you know, I was watching it live and when it was a non contact injury, as we were discussing off air, and when I saw the look on Dame's face, I said, he knows that he just just did something. And I hate to be the sports soccer radio guy that pretends he's a doctor, right, so I always wait until the actual diagnosis. MRI this morning tour and left Achilles tendon and Dame turns thirty five this offseason. I hate to say it might be it, but it might be it. So what do you make of the news.
Speaker 10: Well, that's such a tough injury for him, and because we all know how hard Damian Lillard works to get himself in the best shape possible and to be the ultimate competitor.
Speaker 8: He's always been that.
Speaker 10: That's how he's gotten to this stage of his career, Spencer being an All NBA Player, All Star, part of the seventy fifth anniversary team. It's all out of his hard work and determination. And then when you watch that sequence and you see how how silly it was the movie made to what happened to him, you just feel for him.
Speaker 8: The issue going forward, not just for him in his career.
Speaker 10: But also for the Milwaukee Bucks organization is if they get end up, say they get knocked out in this this first round of the playoffs, you know they still have Damian Lillard under contract for two more years at like in the.
Speaker 8: Mid fifties, six.
Speaker 10: Sixty, and then you got Giannis as well, who's making a similar type money for the next three years, and so you're you're really strapped as an organization without having, you know, one of your best players on the court and having to pay that kind of money. But it's not just the money paying to him, it's the fact that it keeps you from adding other guys to replace him. And so so that really is is such a u such a heartren during a thing for him individually and also for their organization, because that's a that's a big, big pill to swallow right now, and in terms of what they're trying to get done.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you about where we stand with this Lakers Timberwolves series. You know, I don't know if JJ was trying to send a message to the front office, like I have no depth on this team, but I found it an ear to be a very irresponsible coaching move to play all five of those guys every minute in the second half, because what we saw Smitdi is the Timberwolves are now three to one and on the precipice of eliminating the Lakers. We'll see if they can get back into it. But in the fourth quarter, Lebron didn't score. In the fourth quarter, Luca's legs went Dorian Finney Smith had an open dunk and he short armed it because he was tired. Now look Jared Vanderbilt, who we had here, gave Vincent Jordan, Jordan Goodwin.
Speaker 2: It's not a deep team.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying that it is, but a Minnesota's got depth, and I think that depth ultimately proved to be the nail on the coffin.
Speaker 2: An ant was great.
Speaker 1: But what do you make of the way JJ elected to go about that coaching decision to play all of those five guys every minute in the second half.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, you know what that is for me, Spence, that that is a rookie coach who hasn't coached before at all, even as an assistant coach, comes in. You know, Okay, he played in the league. Okay, he's a smart guy. Okay he knows his team. All those things are are true. But when you get in the heat of the moment and you're in a you're down two to one, you're on the road, you're competing, you're in the game, you've got a lead, you you lose the lead, you come back, grab the lead, back and forth game, one of those pivotal games in a series. You know that that is a that is a to me, it is a rookie move where the guy where he was not comfortable subbing out the guys who were on the floor, who were keeping the team in the game for fear that the game is gonna quickly slip away in some ten to two run by the other team. And so I just got to keep my guys out there, and I got to try and use my timeouts where I can to get them blows. But that's you know, that to me, is is someone who's not used to making those decisions and they're they're not really comfortable with the guys they've got, which, by the way, is probably true. He's probably right in the fact that I don't know if I can count on the guys who I would put in to be able to hold this in on the road in such a pivotal game against a tough team that's got all their their weapons out there. And so that's that's a tough deal for him. And look, it came down to a player too, right, So none of nobody would be talking about this if Lebron makes a three, if Luca makes some game saving play at the end, and they go, how great was that that those guys pulled it out And now they're back in the series, going home and all those those kind of things. So so that's one of those things you make your roll with what your gut tells you, and his gut told them, I think we can get to the finish line with our guys playing the way they are, and and it just didn't work out, and the other the other guy, you know, in the horse race, beat you by a nose at the at the finish line.
Speaker 1: Teams that are up three to one win ninety percent of the time in pro basketball.
Speaker 2: So it's it's a tough ask.
Speaker 1: I suppose if there's a team that can do it, it's a team that has Lebron James and Luka Doncis for three to one Minnesota. Do you think it's You think it's Curtains, You think that cup?
Speaker 10: No, No, because look, Lebron's been here before. In fact, he's been here, you know, on on the the in a different circumstance where he was down three to one and had to go on the road for Game five and one Game five, went home in won Game six, came back in one Game seven on the road, and the famous Kyrie irving a three pointer at the end of Game seven to win the championship for the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Speaker 8: So so anytime.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And I've always said this, Spence, I'm a big Lebron James fan. You can say whatever you want about how he, you know, manipulates things and how he's got He's put himself in a position where if he's healthy and now, if Doncic is healthy, and if they can play the way they played yesterday and they can get any kind of help, then I don't put it past them to be able to do it. Because they're playing game five at home, right then they just have to go back and scrap out a game six somehow, and you never know how how that's gonna go.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 10: Each each game is really its own series. If you look at games, you know, an individual game chopped into quarters or even chopped into segments from time out to time out, if you can get in a flow. And you know, they get into game six in Minnesota and Anthony Edwards picks up early foul trouble, and and you know Rudy Gobert, you know, you know, tweaks his ankle or something.
Speaker 8: You know, blah blah blah. Anything can happen.
Speaker 10: So I don't anything any team that has James and Doncic healthy and playing the way that capable of play.
Speaker 8: And I don't put anything, but I never bet against those guys.
Speaker 2: Before we get to tonight.
Speaker 1: And then I'll set you loose because I know you got to hit the road so you can go down to the golf tournament. And those those of us that are humble, working men of the people will continue to be in day to day.
Speaker 2: But you do your thing. I don't know that I've ever asked you.
Speaker 1: There was always this narrative, sojj jj Reddick and most teams that play against a Rudy Gobert led team like to go small, and you know, they're trying to isolate Luca on Rudy every time they can, and they're trying to make Rudy guard on the perimeter.
Speaker 2: And we saw that happen here with Quinn.
Speaker 1: And you know that Clippers series where Terrence Man has a career night, Maxi Kleba hits a bunch of threes for Dallas. And there's always been this debate about what's fair to say of you know, when it comes to the criticisms of Rudy in a playoff series, when a team goes small, does the coach have to sit him.
Speaker 2: Now, Minnesota ask now is Reed who's been awesome?
Speaker 1: And I think at times Quinn just elected to be stubborn and play Rudy no matter what, no matter what the other team was gonna do, because Rudy was so important to what you guys did defensively, what's fair to say in that conversation, the space of this team goes small?
Speaker 2: What do we do with Gobert?
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, I'm probably the wrong guy to ask that question to you because I'm in the I'm in the Rudy Gobert camp. As far as how he affects the game, what he brings to Yeah, you want to you want to isolate him out on a wing against a guy He's gonna get beat. You know, it doesn't matter who the ball handler is. That's not the way to play it. You know, taking him out late in games, you take away a lot of stuff that he does. You know that isn't in the so called public eye or the glare of the spotlight at that moment, like when you do a switch and he gets isolated out. Okay, that's that's not That's not the way to play it. That's not the way if you're smart to do it if your team. But okay, teams have done it. But you know, he's too valuable player to me to take off the floor because he does a lot of other things, not not just within the scheme of the thing of what's going on at the moment, but just in terms of his approach and attitude and what he wants to do for the group. He's not out there, you know, being Anthony Edwards trying to say, hey, everybody, look at me. Watch me put it between my legs ten times and spin and do this and make some you know, wild fall away you know, you know, jump shot or something, you know, some hero play. He's out there to try and help you as a group, to try and have success and win the game in whatever way he can. So you know, I'm I'm the wrong guy because you know those things. I think it amplified, especially a playoff time. There's a reason you won you know, sixty plus games during season with him in the starting lineup and him doing stuff and okay, you get in a playoff series, there's other adjustments you can make that that that don't put him in that kind of a space that that that's that's not advantageous for him and therefore not advantageous for your group. And that's up to coaches in terms of how they game plan that and how they adjust to that.
Speaker 1: All right, final thing, let's get a thought on tonight. We'll leave calvs. Heat to the side, because well, you know, it's three to zero. But Golden State Houston, Jimmy Butler went through shoot around this morning. He is officially a game time decision. Steph had a classic Steph game to get them Game three. It's still so fun to watch Steph when he's doing stuph things, even at this age.
Speaker 2: Houston a fun story.
Speaker 1: And I actually thought, because of their athleticism, their strength, and their length on the perimeter, that Golden State was gonna have an issue.
Speaker 2: Now they still might. It's only two one.
Speaker 1: But before I set you loose so you can get down to Saint George, what are your thoughts on this series?
Speaker 11: Is?
Speaker 2: What do you think happens tonight?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I think that Golden State will play play the same way. You know, I don't know if I don't know what Butler's situation is health wise, Obviously they're better off with him on the floor than without him. If he doesn't play, then that just means Curry has to have another type of game, which he's capable of doing at home, especially, you know, to be able to to keep them in the lead in that series. But you know, Houston's a young, scrappy, tough nosed, hard nosed defensive team, and so you're gonna see them getting added because obviously.
Speaker 8: They don't they don't want it.
Speaker 10: They're gonna have the specter of falling behind three games to one. If they can't figure out a way to win the games. You're gonna see them scrapping and clawing. And and maybe that means that Steph Curry spends a lot of time on the free throw line, which would be advantageous for Golden State because because he's almost automatic there. But but I expect it to be a tough game, another tough game, and I expected to, you know, come down the last two minutes and and who may to play, who misses a shot, who steps in and takes a charge, you know, whatever it is. Let's just hope we don't have an ending like we had in the Detroit Nicks game yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, foul, wasn't it?
Speaker 8: It was?
Speaker 10: It was a foul, But the NBA is wrong in not having an ability to be able to look at something like that at the end of the game, that rule. I'm sure they'll discuss it this some of There's got to be some way of dealing with the situation like that, especially when it when it's such the stakes, the way they are right at that moment, and you're saying, well, the whistle wasn't blown, there wasn't a call made, so therefore we have nothing to review and we have nothing to discuss that that that just isn't right.
Speaker 8: Something something's got to change in that.
Speaker 2: But I'm just glad that the next one there you go.
Speaker 10: I know, I know you and your boy Tony Jones, I know you're you're all behind well, Porter some kind of you.
Speaker 8: Know it's Porter from Oakley.
Speaker 1: In God's Country, because would you like to order yourself young?
Speaker 4: He has People have fair points when they bring up my the randomness of my my sports agency.
Speaker 2: It's not just random.
Speaker 1: You also made horrible choices, like you were a free agent. You went Mets, Nicks and Cowboys.
Speaker 3: I know it's a lot of losing lately.
Speaker 8: See he's a bandwagon guy.
Speaker 1: I could tell no, no, he's He's say he should be more of a bit like it's just a broken bandwagon Mets Cowboys, Knicks. I mean that is decades of just suffering. Yeah, all right, my friend, I know you got to get going. Have have a good time down there. Send some pics, enjoy, It's gonna be fun.
Speaker 8: It'd be great. Have a good time. Yeah, we'll miss you.
Speaker 1: Everybody will see you next. We all right, we'll catch a quick point. Quite excuse me, we will catch a quick break. More coming up on the other side. Don't go anywhere. The Monday after the NFL Draft is completed. I always give poor to the same marching orders. I want a grinder of tape on the show. I want somebody who settles in. He puts in the work, he reviews film, and he comes away with some hot Monday takes. So we're bringing in JP today, John Paul Chonga the Monday after the NFL Draft. Is it depression that it's over? Is it gratitude that it happened? How does that land with you?
Speaker 11: I'm just glad I was there to watch it all, all of the rounds, sitting down imagining the fits, imagining the way these players will be in the schemes. It's it's revelatory to watch the draft and I'm glad to be on the program today.
Speaker 2: What is your favorite fit of player in scheme?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 11: I mean, come on, where can I get started? Jalen Royles with Patrick Mahomes. Wow, I love the fit. That's a good match of player and scheme. Caleb Loner getting draft hoot? How about the basket college basketball guys that end up being NFL stars? You know, people forget Donovan McNabb, former Syracuse walk on the basketball team. He played pretty well as a quarterback.
Speaker 2: He did, he did. That's that's good knowledge.
Speaker 1: How much NBA draft tape are you currently grinding right now?
Speaker 11: So I had to take off obviously the last four days because NFL Draft consumed me. That's that much is clear, but plenty. I absolutely love this time of year when it comes to the NBA Draft. You're just watching all these players. You know you do the same thing? Is the other thing? You you've been watching college basketball in the entire year and looking and projecting how these guys will fit on NBA teams.
Speaker 1: Oh of course, I mean that's why we're kindred spirits, knower of ball, knowers of hoop and grinders of tape Jazz postseason media availability. Of course I was there on time and stayed late, because that's how it is when you grind day to day. One thing really stood out. A couple of things stood out, but Will. When Will Hardy was asked about Isaiah Collier, Keante George and Bryce Sensibah, he said some various things about all of them, but the one common thread was their conditioning. John Paul, that stood out to me. It wasn't anything I was expecting. So what did that say to you about what this very important offseason is. My good friend Jay Z pointed out during his postseason media availability, how important is this offseason for these youngsters for the Jazz?
Speaker 12: What's big?
Speaker 11: I think you look at Taylor Hendricks, who is hopefully going to have a good year up until you know, game three of the regular season, how much he transformed his body, how he really went into the summer and accepted challenges. You could even look at Walker Kessler in the big year that he had in the year three in playing in Summer League and taking feedback from Will and the entire coaching staff and realizing he has to get to a level where the peaking is coming around now, because this is when the playoffs happens. This is when in a second half you might play the entire final twenty four minutes of a game and not get subbed out. You have to be in the best condition of your life. And for those players who were first year guys who probably hit the rookie wall in January, he still realized, oh, there's a couple more months left. And I even think about how Cody Williams was playing two schedules in the G League form as well, like he had to adjust to being available not only for the NBA team but for the G League squad. And there's no reason that these guys next year should be surprised by the ridge of an NBA schedule because of how long eighty two games is. And if you're going to be on one of those good teams with those APEX predits, with the top players in the entire league, you're going to be playing even more than ay two games. And hopefully for many of these players, you're on national teams like Larry market is with EuroBasket, so you're adding even more wear and tear on the body. So as they focus and look forward, to their future NBA careers. They've got to definitely be cognizant of realizing that they've got to be in the absolute best shape.
Speaker 12: Of their life.
Speaker 2: Tell me what you know.
Speaker 1: The complicated part when it comes to analyzing the team that isn't winning at a high level and is developing young players and is giving high usage to young players is figuring out what is real about some of the good numbers that the young players put up and will these players be able to put up similar numbers for a team that.
Speaker 2: Is trying to win.
Speaker 1: You know, Kyle phil Powski down the stretch, I mean that game against Portland he had like thirty eighteen and five. I mean, some of these guys put up some pretty audacious stat lines, but in losing endeavors for a team that wasn't winning a high level. And you can talk about whichever young player. You can go Kiante, you can go Bryce, you can go Walker, you can go Philipowski.
Speaker 2: I call him Flip. It's not a big deal.
Speaker 1: You can go Isaiah, like of the young players that had games where you look at the box score and you go, wow, he did what what sort of skill set or production do you believe can be translatable when the team is winning again at a high level.
Speaker 11: I look at Zay because, as you know, I call Isadiyah Collier's day. I like it, and I think about the passing that can definitely translate to when this team is ready to contend and ready to win at a serious clip. But being able to run an offense knowing exactly where everybody on the floor needs to be, and as the point guard, as the league guard, as whatever kind of guard you want to call him, he has to make sure that he has all the chess pieces in the right place. Defensively, I look at Walker Kessler. I was courtside in Memphis, and these seats are right next to the to the court. You can hear exactly what everybody is talking about. And when joh doesn't have a defense figured out, I'm able to hear Walker Kessler calling out every single Memphis set. His communication, his style of knowing where everything goes defensively is something that you want to see Isaiah translate offensively and for him, I mean it's clear that they're pretty invested in making him the best he can become at that position, because it when you're tasked is leading a club in a league with so many elite guards, you're going to go through so many growing pains, and that's tight of the factor on whether you're going to win in the league. Remember a couple of years ago they had Mike Conley and they go off to the ten and two start. There's a difference between veteran leadership at the guard position and young guys trying to figure it out. And Isaiah Collier certainly has a long way to go, but learning from a Walker tester what he communicates defensively that need to translate for Isaiah Callier offensively for them.
Speaker 1: Got to ask you about Cody who is still very young, and you know we had Smittian studio. It's a really interesting dynamic with Jazz basketball historically speaking, where the majority of the better players we've had here, I say we it's not a big deal.
Speaker 2: A family on.
Speaker 1: Three have either been mid first round picks, late first round picks, some of the second round, and a lot of the early picks that the Jazz have made, some hit, some didn't. That's part of analyzing NBA basketball. But I think it's fair to say that if you're going to be a pick, you just want to show more than what he showed. And I'm not ready to annoint or dismiss, nor should anybody else be. But what's the hope over there on the organization of what this offseason brings us off For Cody.
Speaker 11: It is that transformation of the body. Everybody knew that he had to transform his body from just being a nineteen year old in the NBA. He was always going to be a long term investment because at his position where he's drafted, you can look at the projection of starter NBA skill what they are at each pick slot. That's why they wanted to put themselves in every position to get into the high draft. But Cody Williams is so early on in his development journey. I had to look this up earlier on this year about how many minutes that he played in college, and it was around the six hundred range, and in the NBA he got a thousand minutes. We're talking about somebody who at high level basketball has played sixteen hundred minutes. I don't know if you can make broad brushes in future tails on his future career early on in the development part, because you even look at the fact that he comes from NBA stock with his brother and Jalen came out very much seasoned at the college level, having gone to Santa Clair for a couple of years, so very different spots for them. But knowing that he has an NBA player on a pretty good team, he knows exactly what it takes to get to the level where he needs to be to start contributing to an NBA roster. But it's definitely early and he has a huge way to go before he's probably satisfied with the way his NBA career is going.
Speaker 2: Tell me what you're hearing about Taylor.
Speaker 1: You brought out Taylor earlier, and as you know, Bullish over here remain hasn't changed his health, his conditioning, his mentals. I mean, I can't imagine what That's a lonely thing, man. You know, I'm not the radio host that is analogous with injuries that regular Joe's haveing players. But I've had a broken leg, as you know, I had knee surgery last year. It's a lonely thing when you're recovering and you're not mobile and you've got to deal with what it's like being isolated. But what's the buzz around around the organization with Taylor, how's he doing and what do we expect in the summer.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it was good for Taylor to be around the team for as much as he could be because it can be very lonely. But he was still in the facility, being around the guys, showing up to every single practice, watching the games, making sure that he was being available there, but even going on the road and seeing what it takes alongside the season because it's still early on in his NBA future. He was only a couple years removed from being at UCF where I don't know if that's necessarily an NBA factory, but he had to have really widened his eyes once he got to the NBA and he's playing against Kevin Durant in his very first game. The good thing was that he was able to make those road trips. He's getting up shots.
Speaker 12: Now now it's.
Speaker 11: Adding those big movements and making sure that he's going to be able to get to contact. The idea is still for him to be available after Summer League, But as far as the connectivity of staying with the team and still feeling like he's a part of it, I think that the staff and he himself he's done a really good job at being very open. And heck even saw him in that dumb hat that he was wearing on the bench towards the end of the season that I think we can all agree he looked like Bobby.
Speaker 2: BACALAA nice No, you're not wrong, You're not wrong.
Speaker 1: I just it's very rare to hear you knock on somebody for taking a fashion risk because you were very fashion conscious.
Speaker 8: JP.
Speaker 2: Let's be clear, I am very oh.
Speaker 11: No, fashion conscious. But he didn't even get the reference when I said Bobby Bacala, like, he's not watching the Sopranos, He's just wearing a hat because he thought it was something that was cool to wear.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm stunned that he didn't get your Bobby reference. That's that's shocking.
Speaker 11: Don't appreciate the soprano.
Speaker 1: No, they don't, and they should rewatch it if you've already watched it. If you haven't watched it, you should. You should run to watch it as soon as you can. So you brought up the ten and two start with team forty nine, that's what I called him. But whatever, A little inside and I want to get into a conversation with market In for a second, because that team, uh, you know, you reference Mike Conley. They also had Chris Dunn, who's starting for the Clippers in the playoffs. They had Kelly Olnok I call him the clinic.
Speaker 2: No big deal. There were veteran pieces.
Speaker 1: I mean your guy Thht, you know, like, there were veteran pieces on that team that.
Speaker 2: Knew how to play basketball.
Speaker 1: And I always bring it up because market in that year obviously All Star here in Utah, he was twenty five point six points. He was basically nine boards. He was close to fifty forty ninety. And I don't know really what's fair to say about anything critical of Lowry, even though the numbers have dropped since then, because he is a veteran playing with children. And I think it was the Laker game when the Jazz beat the Lakers here in saw Lake and Lowry had thirty two. He was six of ten from three, and it was like, oh, yes, that's right. He is still awesome on the scale of marketing team forty nine All Star and marketing playing with kids. Numbers completely fallen over the past couple of years.
Speaker 2: Where do you land on who he is?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think there's definitely nuance in Lowry's game because he's so dependent.
Speaker 12: On what's going around him, the.
Speaker 11: Surroundings within an offense, and he saw it earlier on in his career when he was in Cleveland Chicago, but really blossoming once he came on that Team forty nine with Mike Conley. He needs confidence at to guard positioned it get him the ball.
Speaker 6: He needs the.
Speaker 11: Ability to have spacing on the floor, and for a team that really didn't have necessary shooters alongside Lowry, it was very difficult for him to be.
Speaker 12: The number one guy on a scout and report.
Speaker 11: It's very different from being concerned about Mike Conley shooting, Malik Beaveley shooting. Jared Vanderbilt even could stretch on that Team forty nine squad, then looking at a team that has Walker Tesler taking threes at the end of the season, that's not necessarily the same spacing that Lowry market is going to be getting. So he lands we're in the middle. But that's still a really elite player, and those flashes that you saw in that Laker game are exactly what you want to see on a day and day out basis. Once this team is more built out and has better compliments around him.
Speaker 1: May twelfth, NBA Draft Lottery. What's the John Paul routine? What sort of lucky charms will we be exercising that day as we're all hoping that the number one pick is their reward for this painful couple of years.
Speaker 11: It's a big day. It is a big deal, is a big day in the franchise. And then look, I look this up of all the teams in the lottery. Do you want to guess how many teams have not had the number one pick?
Speaker 2: I hope it's more than one. Is it more than one? Because one is certainly the Utah Jazz.
Speaker 11: It is only one. Wow, one team in the law this year has never had the number one.
Speaker 6: Overall pick, and so Utah Jazz.
Speaker 11: And I even went further, I was like, what about top five? How many of these teams have had top fives? Only one team in the lottery has had fewer top fives than Jazz. In the history of the Utah Jazz, they've only had it five times. New Orleans has had it three times, but they've gotten two number one all picks. So when I look at just who should morally get the number one overall pick, I am confident in saying that it's the Utah Jazz. So I don't have to do anything. I don't have to find the four leaf clover. I don't have to get the lucky horseshoe. I don't have to go swing a couple golf balls at the range at Eaglewood. I will be fine just knowing wherever it lands is where it will land, and it's fine. You know, the Lakers, they got that pick from Magic Johnson on a coin flip because they had that pick from the New Orleans Jazz because they on Gail Goodrich. Luck happens in a weird way, and it would be very weird for the Utah Jazz to jump in the lottery, but hey, weirder things have happened in this league. Just look at the playoffs.
Speaker 8: How is that.
Speaker 2: Golf game, young man? How are we doing? We improving still?
Speaker 11: I played a couple weeks ago and I did all right, but it was only nine holes. I think that's the only capacity that I have for golf right now.
Speaker 1: That makes me so sad. I cannot express how sad that is. I was with our guy travel over the weekend and we were promoting the fact that we can't get you out anymore.
Speaker 2: But here's where I want to go next.
Speaker 1: You had a front row seat to watching the new Utah men's basketball coach develop some young bigs, namely Rudy Gobert. In one year with Walker Kessler, the MAVs lose to the grizz and the play in. So Alex Jensen has now allocated his full time and energy to his new job. What would you say to you fans about your experience watching him coach when he was with the Jazz before you went down to Dallas.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Alex is tremendous as a coach, tactician and being able to bring all the experience that he has not only from his playing days but.
Speaker 12: To what he had in the NBA.
Speaker 11: I think it was good for him to see an organization beyond Utah. Talked to Will about how advantageous that was just to leave San Antonio and go to Boston to see how somebody else does it, to see how an organization outside of your comfort zone he's able to operate. And I'm sure the same thing applies for Alex in going to Dallas and learning how Jason Kidd runs a program. But his expertise in cutting through things and telling a George and Yang, if you shoot forty percent from this spot and you defend capably, you're going to be a tens of millionaire in this league. And boy, to get down to just that, be a capable defender. Shoot the three at forty percent, you'll be fine. And George does that, still is in the NBA and has one of the best winning records of any player out there. I think it's him and Royce O'Neil because of the fact that they're on good teams. Not so much for Royce this year, but still you get the point. Alex being able to get it to that specific point helps players along and I think that will help in the future for the Utah men's basketball program when you're thinking about do we want to produce pros? Are we going to get these guys in there? They got to commit things on the Nile front. But you've got a good one in Alex Jensen.
Speaker 2: All Right, I hope that you are standing on your feet and you're shouting it out. Real will end with a little.
Speaker 11: I told you, I gave up.
Speaker 12: I'm done.
Speaker 2: No, don't do that, don't do that, don't do that.
Speaker 1: We have listeners, namely one little birdie source of mind that will have his heartbroken if you continue just to stay out. You've been an RSL fan since day one, meet the team day pictures with our guy Jason Christ so I understand the sentiment. But we got big Willie Goles coming in, we got Johnny Russell coming in. We've got a three to one victory over San Diego, so the vibes are high, John Paul, are you inching closer and closer to getting back in with our local soccer club?
Speaker 11: So all right, I am out, But admittedly the Johnny Russell signing got me a little moved because my fiance's father is from Scotland, so he'll he'll be able to rally behind Johnny Russell and the beard is spectacular, so I'm in on that aspect. But I didn't see him play, and I want to hear from you because I asked ahead of the game. Over the weekend at San Diego, you were boots on the ground.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 11: Dumbshoe reporting. So how much longer am I going to have to wait for Johnny Russell to get his debut in the Clarendon Coco.
Speaker 2: He should be available coming.
Speaker 11: Up sometimes the grid City Yeah.
Speaker 1: Indeed, well said he should be available coming up this weekend. He hasn't been with a club in almost seven months. He needs to get into shape. But big Willy Goles, my guy was on the ground and you know we saw him for a little bit, so but we should we should see Johnny as early as this weekend.
Speaker 11: How many goals has Willy scored this year?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I believe that number is close to zero. If it's not zero, so how is he Willy Golds? He scored ten last year.
Speaker 11: But this year it's Willy no goals.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm trying to look at this optimistically. Remember we were all encouraged to call it Johnny Menendez Johnny Goles too when he only scored one, so he became Johnny one goal. But I'm just trying to look at this through rose colored glasses because, as you know, I'm both an mpath and an optimist.
Speaker 11: Okay, I and I get I understand the names on the beam. There's a connection there that will never be broken. But I still need to be one over and it needs to start by seeing Johnny Russell on the on the field for r SOL. I also love how delicious it is that he was on SKC which clear RSL rival.
Speaker 1: So the one way that we can get you back is Johnny Russell healthy fit in the lineup and performs, and then maybe we can get John Paul back.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and then maybe he makes an appearance on Foothill, you know, at the former mccool's.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll be in. I like it all right before I set you loose.
Speaker 1: What's got I know you're you got three jobs, So what's got most of your energy right now?
Speaker 11: That's true.
Speaker 12: I do have three jobs right now.
Speaker 11: Listen to Roundball round up Utah Jazz Podcast Network. I spoke to Kyle Mann about the top guys at the draft, not to get anybody anticipating one lean either, but info on Cooper flag As Bailey, Dylan Harper, vj edgecome kon Kak Nippa, all those guys at the top of the draft. Just search the Utah Jazz Podcast Network in your podcast feed. And then, of course, the NWSL got a game this Saturday, Utah Royals against the North Carolina Courage. Ali Sentnor, the number nine, best number nine in the entire state, taking on NC and Jaden Shaw, who's also a really bright young player for the US and wins. The national team playing to look forward to on the Utah Royals front as they are only six games in with twenty more to go.
Speaker 2: Thank you, young man.
Speaker 1: I want you to give Corey just a big hug and tell her from me, Okay.
Speaker 11: We'll do get Johnny Russell on the field.
Speaker 2: We will, we will. That's the deal, all right, JP.
Speaker 1: John Paul check out the round Ball Roundup podcast. He's also the voice of the Stars and the Utah Royals, and of course, probably the pinnacle and peak of his career in life is the producer of this radio show a number of years ago. JP stops by today courtesy of our friends at Advanced Window Products, where you can get twenty five hundred dollars off when you buy ten windows or more local Salt Lake company operated by Nate Orchard, the mayor of Sac Lake City, an NFL football player. So definitely give them a call. If you're looking for windows right now, call today because you get that twenty five hundred dollars off. But if you anticipate needing new windows, like for instance, before it gets really warm, because if you have old windows, here's a little two plus two equals for it. Your home will be very hot and you have to jack up the AC and then you're going to spend a lot of money. But if you're anticipating needing windows, call today two because you lock in that twenty five hundred dollars savings just by getting on the schedule. Our good friends at Advanced Window Products at eight oho one eight five zero ninety one hundred eight oh one to eight five zero ninety one hundred eight oh one eight five zero ninety one hundred, or visit Advance windows dot com. All right, we're back to some NFL draft takeaways in the five o'clock hour, and then of course we'll get you ready for some NBA playoffs.
Speaker 2: But RSA with a result over the weekend.
Speaker 1: Sam Junk is going to join us coming up next right here on ESPN seven hundred. All right, show rolling along today, my friend Melissa from Sound Sleep Medical joins us live in studio once again.
Speaker 2: Melissa, how are you doing great?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 1: Oral appliance therapy to treat sleep apnea. It is not a seapap let's underscore it, So what exactly is it?
Speaker 8: Melissa?
Speaker 13: It's just like a custom made mouthguard that you wear on your teeth during the night. So maybe you your a partner is snoring. That's an easy red flag. Snoring is much more than annoying noise. It actually shows us that you're probably not getting enough oxygen during the night, which is essentially sleep ATNA And if you don't fix it with the oral appliance, you're gonna end up with serious health issues down the road, like high blood pressure, high blood sugar levels, more serious stuff even like stroke and dementia down the road as you age.
Speaker 1: So I've had some friends that have tried the seapap and it's extremely uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: It's not very convenient.
Speaker 1: You can travel with this oral appliance, and it's very convenient to take around.
Speaker 13: Yes, for sure, it's so small and slim you could throw it in your pocket. I have business travelers that don't want to snore on the plane, so they'll bring it on the plane with them. And this is a studied, proven device. This is not some gimmick. I mean, it's FDA approved. Your health insurance actually will likely pay for it. It even qualifies for stuff like HSA flux spending. We also have zero percent financing for those.
Speaker 8: Who need it.
Speaker 1: Before we get to the special offer, tell us some of the pieces of feedback you've received people that have gone through your program and started to sleep better. What sort of improved quality of life have the experienced.
Speaker 13: Well, they're so glad they're not wrestling with their seapap anymore, and it's just great to wake up and actually feel rested. You know a lot of people out there, Spence, they've forgotten. It's been so long they don't even remember what it feels like to feel good during the day and not feel like you're gonna fall asleep every time you sit down.
Speaker 2: And what's that special offer? Unless you have for our listeners, will call you today, Okay, call now.
Speaker 13: The number is eight oh one three three five nine, eight two four. You can also find us at soundsleepmedical dot com. When you schedule today during the show, you're gonna get a free sleep screening, which is the test you get to do at home in your own bed, as well as a free sleep consultation. We do have six offices and this means you get to sit down with a sleep specialist, get those results and learn what you can do to fix your sleep and start feeling better.
Speaker 1: All right, call today, It's eight oh one, three three five nine eight two four RSL went to San Diego over the weekend and got a result three to one over the expansion side. You came here earlier this year and actually beat ral saw Lake. Our next guest scored a wonder goal, a great, great strike. Sam Junk joins the show on a Monday afternoon.
Speaker 8: Sam.
Speaker 2: How you doing, buddy, I'm doing great.
Speaker 12: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: I appreciate the time. So we got to talk about the goal. Did you know that you so? I always find it fascinating to talk to soccer players that scored goals the way that you did over the weekend. When you struck it, did you know that you had put it on frame? Did you feel that good about it? Right instantly after you struck the ball.
Speaker 12: I felt like I got good contact on it. The difficulty with shots like that is there's a lot of people in and around the box and a lot of times get blocked when it's on frame. This time it didn't happen, and so fortunately went into the side netting.
Speaker 2: How much of a relief was that result.
Speaker 1: I mean, we'll get to some of the other storylines, but the start has been rough.
Speaker 2: It's been up and down.
Speaker 1: So How good did that feel, Sam, to go to San Diego and get that three points?
Speaker 12: It felt really good. We've been in need of a win and it's never easy to win away, and to be the first team to win the same San Diego was special.
Speaker 1: So tell us about yourself a little bit. First time we've been able to have you on the show. You're one of the new players. You were acquired from you were required from Dallas and the Anderson Julio deal.
Speaker 2: Tell us about yourself grown up?
Speaker 1: When did you first start playing soccer and how do you feel about, you know, landing here with RSL.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I started playing maybe around six years old, just recreationally, and got more serious as time went on. I really excited to be here in Salt Lake, and I feel like me and my fiance are settling in here and calling it home now.
Speaker 1: So instantly, of course, it was probably a little bit jarring. It's kind of the interesting thing when you're a pro athlete, you don't really have control over where you live. Did you know much about our market or is most of the dynamics about Utah pretty new to you and your fiance?
Speaker 12: Most of it's pretty new. I had a little bit of an idea of what it might be like, because I actually thought when I was leaving Houston that I might end up in RSL, But you know, I ended up in Dallas and that was that. And now two years later contunity came up again and it happened this time, and so we've gotten more familiar with the valley and you know all that you has to offer.
Speaker 1: This time around, you are competing with Alex for that spot.
Speaker 8: What's it?
Speaker 1: What's it been like to h and look when it comes to healthy competition, of course, that's something Pablo wants, and the season is so long, you want multiple options at each each position. But tell me about that kind of positional battle that you and Alex are kind of fighting for.
Speaker 6: I think it's been good.
Speaker 12: I feel like the left back position has been a strong one for us this season, and the competition is good. Alex is a great player, and I think that we've both pushed each other to be at our best, and you know, I think that's helping the team this season.
Speaker 1: Tell me what specifically Pablo is asked for from you when it comes to that positional battle and the other things you're expected to do for the.
Speaker 12: Club, So specifically, for that position. They want us to not just be defenders, but to provide some help in the attack and to get forward. And it's a physically demanding position. They want us to provide a pretty high output, usually the highest of the team in terms of distance covered and running back and forth. And you know, it's a position where we do a little bit of everything, and you know, we play on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 1: So far through the season, throughout the start of the season, you know, it has been a little bit up and down. Tell me what you feel like, you guys excel at when you're getting points.
Speaker 2: What are you doing well.
Speaker 12: I think that we're a team that brings energy and grit, and I think we showed that in this past game because the first half wasn't easy. They had a lot of the ball and we were kind of weathering the storm for a lot of the first half. But we were the team that struck first and then we carried that into the second half where we kind of grew into the game and put the game away.
Speaker 1: We saw another brace from Diego Luna Sam and that young man star continues to shine and continues to rise. What's it like training with him? What's it been like to be his teammate and tell us maybe your thoughts on how he continues to evolve and really rise up the ranks as a genuine legit superstar in Major League Soccer.
Speaker 12: It's been great. You know, you always want to play with great players on your team, and he's been somebody that's been doing a great job for us this season. Funny story is he actually played with my little brother growing up when they were both playing for the center of the Earthquakes, and so I knew about him a little bit. It's kind of funny to be playing with, you know, people that my little brother has played with or against now in the league. But yeah, he's been somebody that I think has shown that he can produce at the club level and now on the national team level. So it's really exciting to see kind of where his career takes him.
Speaker 1: Just one brother, what's the family dynamic? Like, you grew up where you're a southern California kid, right, So is your family still there?
Speaker 2: Is it just you and your one brother?
Speaker 12: No, I'm the middle of three boys. So I've got my little brother, the one that has played with Diego, and I've got an older brother nobody actually lives in California anymore. My parents and my little brother, they currently reside in nearby Cordelaine, Idaho up north Sure, and my big brother is actually going to be returning to California to be nearby UC Davis, but currently he's in Beaverton, Oregon.
Speaker 1: Very does who put a soccer ball at your feet?
Speaker 2: First? Was it Dad? Was it Mom? Was it your brothers? How'd you get involved in the game?
Speaker 12: I had to think that I saw my big brother playing. He played all sorts of sports, soccer being one of them, and I saw him playing, and so I got involved when I saw that.
Speaker 1: Did you play any other sports? I mean, you're legitimately six feet tall. Some of these soccer guys are like five to five and they only played soccer.
Speaker 2: Did you play any other sports?
Speaker 12: I played a little bit of basketball. I did a little bit of swimming growing up, but otherwise it was intramural you know, baseball, football, those kinds of things, but primarily soccer basketball.
Speaker 1: Did you have a soccer hero growing up that you wanted to be in, a favorite club that you liked to watch growing up?
Speaker 12: I think the one that inspired me the most was probably Ronaldinho. The things that he did on the field and with the ball were just, you know, they looked magical, and I always liked to watch his YouTube videos and try to recreate them, and I think that's what really inspired me.
Speaker 2: When did you know that you were really good at this?
Speaker 1: When did you know that if you put in the work and had some health luck and did the things that you could potentially be a professional player.
Speaker 12: I would say sometime when I was a teenager. I started to, you know, believe that I had, you know, the ability and the opportunity to maybe make it. But you know, it's always hard to say because there are players that you grew up with that you think are going to make it for sure, and they don't, right, And so I think what I started to realize was that it wasn't just about the talent, and that there were other factors and other you know, non controllables control goles that went into it. And I really tried to focus on everything I could control and and just you know, figure out the paths from there. Because I didn't really have anybody for my family that's with this path, so I was kind of winging it and trying to figure it out as I went.
Speaker 1: Tell me what it's like playing for Pablo here a new coach juxtaposed other coaches you played for, or what makes Pablo Pablo?
Speaker 2: What's it like playing for him?
Speaker 12: It's been awesome. I really enjoyed it when I was in Houston. I'm enjoying it again being here at ourself. You know, the teams that he coaches, they show a lot of grid, a lot of fight, you know, and.
Speaker 8: Not just.
Speaker 12: A strong tactical sense. So I think that there's a good balance there. I like that he's a good man manager. He you know, is the players coach who and knows what it's like to be in our shoes, and so I think all that experience allows it to be the coach that he is.
Speaker 1: So tell me your thoughts on where you guys find yourselves and the kind of the conversation at that locker room. With the win against San Diego, you're now four to six, and oh, I think you're the only team in all of Major League Soccer that has not tied the game.
Speaker 2: And so you know, Sam, you know the deal. You're a vet.
Speaker 1: I think he played in one hundred and forty four games and ultimately some of the best teams we've ever had here have been off to really bad starts, and some of the worst teams got off the great starts. I get is such a marathon long season. But through through ten games, where do you guys feel like you're at right now? What do you have to do to maybe get more results coming your way.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think that, you know, we feel a sense of urgency knowing that we're, you know, getting close to being a third of the way through the season. At the same time, we know that it's a long season, and you know, you win a couple of games in a row and suddenly you shoot up towards the top of the table. And so I think, you know, in the past couple of games, we've gotten back to playing a little bit more the way we want to and playing more complete games. And I think, you know, the things that we've been doing in training and going into these games, we have to keep doing that and just be continue to be better in our defensive end and in our offensive end in the boxes, and that's the focus that we've been talking about. And I think that everything in between has been quite good. It's just being better, you know, not letting goals in and scoring our chances, and I think we'll be just fine.
Speaker 1: Primary transfer window comes and goes, two editions are made, both from SKC, ironically enough, which is kind of a rival of RSLs.
Speaker 2: It battled for the Cup back in the day.
Speaker 1: So tell me what sort of what sort of kind of access or what sort of experience you've had so far communicated with Willy and Johnny And what are you guys hoping that those two acquisitions do for your team.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I think it gives us a big boost offensively getting Willy and Johnny into the team. I think that this past game Willly showed a little bit of his ability and I think that it's very promising what he brings for the team. Johnny's still kind of getting going. He hasn't been training with the team. He's been a free agent, and so he might need a little bit. But you know, he's been producing in the league for the past seven years or so, and he's a well known name around the league, and so that experience that he brings to the team, and you know what he'll have to attack, I think will be really valuable. Going forwards. We have had a little bit of difficulty producing as much as we'd like offensively, and so I think that these guys will be really helpful in that category.
Speaker 2: What do you like to do, Sam when you're not playing soccer?
Speaker 1: I've read that you and your fiance like to foster animals and at one point, am I reading correctly that you had twelve cats in twenty twenty.
Speaker 12: Yeah, something crazy like that, just because we had I think a litter of kidden that was in the process of being adopted out, and then there was another kiddens that we were asked to foster or else they were going to get put down, and you know, it was either we take them in or they were going to get put down that day. So we took them in and there was a little bit of an overlap, and but yeah, it's something that we're very passionate about. We love animals, not just cats and dogs, but we we tend to foster or work with with those animals. And otherwise we both my fiance and I both really like nature. I like, uh, you know, walking around Ochre Lake with my dog. I helped to visit the National Parks sometime soon when we get some days off in a row. And otherwise I've enjoyed cooking some nice meals at home, cooking dinners with my fiance. We live right by Harmon and so being walking distance to a grocery or it's made it much easier to go grab some things for dinner. And it's been a lot for all.
Speaker 1: Of our listeners. RSL listeners. Do you do the social media thing? Do you do the Instagram thing? I think the kids love the TikTok? Sam, is there any anywhere that our listeners can go find your stuff?
Speaker 12: Yeah, they can find me on Instagram. Att Junka, All.
Speaker 1: Right, buddy, Well, congrats on that goal. It was quite a strike. And keep up the good work and most importantly stay healthy.
Speaker 12: Okay, thank you very much, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Sam Junker Rsel left back. He and Alex catron Is kind of battling for that position. Had a pretty stunning goal. I didn't know Sam had that in him. It was from I don't know, twenty five twenty six yards out beat the keeper lower right hand side and was able to get that goal to help RSL get that three one victory against San Diego. The road continues for RSL. They have been on the road for a while. Three of the next four on the road. They're going to take on Vancouver, who's the best side in the West right now. Then they'll be in Dallas at Toyota Stadium, a quick trip back to Salt Lake. I guess I should say Sandy to take on Portland, and then there'll be a Dick Sporting Goods Park to take on Colorado.
Speaker 2: So three the next four on the road for real salt Lake.
Speaker 1: Kimmy Butler expected to play for the Golden State Warriors tonight as the Warriors are trying to take a three to one lead over the Houston Rockets. Unfortunately, Damian Lillard it was confirmed earlier today that he has torn his left achilles tendon in the Bucks lost to the Pacers over the weekend. So we got some NBA playoffs tonight, some Stanley Cup playoff action as well. Of course, the Utah Hockey Club high speedhead their offseason. Hopefully Bill Armstrong can make a couple of additions to the team to take the right step in the right direction. I think they've got about eight million dollars to play with, fifth most cap space in the NHL. They got the fourteenth pick in the first round of the NHL Draft. Then they're on second, third, and fourth round pick. So there you go, all right, porter, right football guy. Of all the utes that did not get drafted, which one surprised you the most?
Speaker 3: Hmm, that's a good question. I don't know that.
Speaker 4: I was entirely surprised with a whole lot of them, except Junior Tafuna. I thought that Junior would be a mid round or laid round draft pick. I thought there was little doubt about that. I thought there was even littler doubt about that when he showed well at senior Day's, senior camps, stuff like that. But this was a really, really good class when it comes to a lot of the interior defensive linemen, a lot of the interior offensive linemen. So these teams that were building up, they're insides.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: There was a long list of both defensive tackles and guards and centers on the offensive side. So that was kind of the story. It was Junior Tafuna, a guy that would have been drafted in spence, I would say eighty percent of the year's eighty percent of NFL draft classes. He's gonna go late round and maybe even earlier. But this was one of the outliers there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and oftentimes.
Speaker 1: You know, as we've talked about, I always go back to that anecdote, the anecdotal story I share. When Trevor Riley was drafted, and I think it was the seventh round by my Jets, I sent him this text. I'm like, dude, congrats, that's awesome, and he sent me an expletive leaden text and return about how pissed.
Speaker 2: He was because he wanted to choose his landing spot.
Speaker 1: If you're going to go in the sixth or the seventh round, you might, like Conrad o' toole got a nice guaranteed deal to go play for Seattle, you might have the preference of choosing where you play instead of being told where you live.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little inside there. I was in the know when it comes to Britain Covey's situation during that process, and it was just kind of the same situation where at the end of the draft we were actually sitting in a room hoping he didn't get drafted, which is kind of a weird feeling, because he had a prompts at that point for a couple of different teams that he felt really comfortable with the situations, one of those being the Philadelphia Eagles ended up okay for the guy. So that's a that's a pretty common situation in some draft situations. And yeah, it happens more than you think.
Speaker 1: We should uh, we should get Britain Covey on on the radio show.
Speaker 3: I know, right, apparently busy guy.
Speaker 1: Do I need to book that because he claims that he's down, I know, is he lying to me?
Speaker 4: He Britain and listen, it's my guy, it's our guy. Of course he is and would love to do it. I'm sure he's just sometimes a little a little tough to nail down, all right, But we'll we'll get him on the show. He has promised, he's promised you, he's promised me, and he has a golf tournament.
Speaker 3: He wants to to push.
Speaker 4: So we'll, uh, we'll make that happen. The real hold up is I've been trying to get it in the studio fair enough. Well, we'll make it work.
Speaker 1: Don mcchenry is your newest member of the Utah men's basketball program. The news was announced ab two hours ago. Seventeen points three boards to assist for Western Kentucky. Dorian Singer has signed an undrafted deal with the Las Vegas Raiders, So little little bit of breaking news as we sign off for this Monday, All right, Porter, what comes our way? On a busy Tuesday edition of the show.
Speaker 4: On a Tuesday show, Tim mcban stops by for the NBA Daily Assist, of course, talking NBA playoffs and the latest in the association. Kaylin Jones our old friend, a bunch of different stops Kaylen's had, but currently right now doing untold with Netflix. On the sports side, Dave Fox stops by as he does each and every other Tuesday, and then we'll hit some NFL Draft topics. Apparently those guys are pretty busy these last forty eight hours, so we'll hopefully talk with either Thorne Eystrom or potentially Field Yates tomorrow. Nice working on some times with those guys, so we'll continue the draft coverage.
Speaker 1: Field Yates the human boat shoe boat shoe, Yeah right, like like the Sperry's a lot of aggressive vineyard vines for our guy, Field Gates.
Speaker 3: Yes, you knew a lot of Field Yates.
Speaker 1: Coroda, Oh I did, surrounded by them, yes, no doubt? Oh yeah, Greg, And does a really good job be great. I've never interviewed Field that'd be fun. All right, will Sega and I special thank you today to Matt Brown, to Richard Smith, to Sam Junka, as well as the legend himself, John Paul JP Chunga for to the sound you may miss from the program today. The website ESPN seven hundred sports dot com, download our mobile app and take us on the go. The ESPN seven hundred app is available for free in the App Store in the Google play Store. Then, finally, for what we do in our space for four hours every afternoon, check out our podcast page which is called wait for it, the Drive with Spence. Check it's available wherever you get your show. Subscribe, rate, review, and say nice things in the comments. Give us all the stars. It does help for porter. I'm spencing tonight, Joyce some good playoff basketball tonight. We'll talk to you on a Tuesday Drive. As always, you know where to find that. It's right here on ESPN seven hundred and ninety two and FM. We are proud to be part of utah Z ESPN Radio Network