Speaker 1: Welcome to Katy r. H. Garden Line with skin, Richard.
Speaker 2: Shoes, pass.
Speaker 1: A trim, just watch him, as well.
Speaker 3: As so many good things to seep bout basic in great gables.
Speaker 1: Backing, not a sun glass gas the sun beamon down tweets gas all right, start well, good morning, Welcome to garden Line. Glad you're here. I hope you got a cup of coffee and at least one eye open. I've been working on coffee for a little while now I think I got both eyes open. Hopefully we'll find out here as I start to talk whether it can make sense or not. You know, we got a lot of rain over these past few days, and I say we, meaning the whole listening area. Pretty much start rained a lot down in the Houston area early on, and then it kind of moved up north a little bit. Some pretty good storms come through, so we've got a good soaking, which is a good thing. We don't like to have to sit inside and look outside and rain. We rather be outside gardening, but anyway, we know we need it. So I was looking at some areas of the landscape that aren't draining as well as i'd like them too, and I'm gonna have to put in some subsurface drainage just to get that water out of that area. For a couple of reasons. Number one, plant roots don't like to sit in the soggy, wet conditions. They just don't. There are plants that can take that. Certainly, ball cypress can take that lives in swamps for crying out out. Most plants can't. There are some that can. So what do you do when you got an area like that? Well, one thing is you just plant it to things that want to be there.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Button bush is a big native bush that attracts butterflies. Got some very unique little round blooms that look sort of like you know after a dandelion, flowers that stalk coming up that's kind of round, and then the seeds go flying away. It's sort of but the flowers sort of look like that, they're round, and they attract butterflies that can put up with wet conditions. Louisiana iris, especially in a very very bright shade area, does very well in wet conditions. And there are other plants that can do that. Can as can put up with that, and on and on, but most plants won't get drainage, and so then if you're not gonna plant something that wants to be in a wet area. In other words, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. That kind of approach. Well, the next step is why is it wet there? And I know you're thinking because it rains skipt No, I'm talking about why is that area staying so wet for so long? Maybe a down spout of the house is dumping extra water there, and that could be rerouted to another area, so we still get rain, but we're not getting all the thousands of gallons off the roof also dumping into that area. So that's another option that you can do. And then finally there's subsurface drainage. They call those French strains. Basically what it is, it's a pipe underground with holes in it put into a bed of gravel. So as the water goes to that area, it just goes into the pipe and it moves downhill to a lower area to drain out. If you don't have a downhill a drainage installing place, if you will, they can come in and they can put up a little sort of little pit there with a sump pump in it. And when it hits a certain level of water in there, it just pumps it out. So now you're sending it out even uphill a little bit off to another area where it can drain out. So any of those are a couple of options that you can do. By the way, Pierce Scapes does that kind of work. They're excellent at doing that and they will pretty much do anything that needs to be done in the landscape, you know, fixing, irrigation, installing lighting, I just mentioned the drainage, of course, doing beautiful custom landscape installation. They know how to do it all. They are our preferred landscaper here on Garden Line, been around since nineteen eighty eight and they're your one stop shop. So I don't care. You need a rock border, you want a hardescape, a walkway, they can do it all. They can also do quarterly maintenance, which by the way, is a very nice thing to have them come in and do. They sprish up the beds, they you know, add some more malts into them, they get any weeds out that might be there. They're doing a little trimming that might need to be done. And as you go through the seasons, as many as many times as you and your contract. When I agree with them that to put new color in, they can do that. I mean they do four color changes a year. If you want to go that route Piercecapes, all you need to do is go to the website Piercescapes dot com, p E A RCEE Pierce Pierce Scapes dot com if you want to give them a call two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty two eight one three seven oh five zero six zero. But anyway, I've got that area in the landscape I need to to address, and so having a professional come in is helpful. I know, we got some do it yourselfers out there that if you really really know what you're doing and do it right, that's fine. Otherwise, uh, it doesn't drain, it doesn't drain well. And you need to have sighted that area so that you've got just the right amount of drop per ten or one hundred feet you know down the way, so about per one hundred linear feet it needs to drop a certain amount of place. You need to put it where the water can get into the pipe properly, and on and on and so it just I think it's better just to hire somebody that knows what they're doing to do it. If you've not trade sweet green fertilizer from night fish, you ought to. Sweet green is first of all, it's smells sweet, and it's base on a sugar type based carbon chains, which makes beneficial microbes very happy, especial especially beneficial bacteria. And they've done their research and homework there at Nitrofoss when they created this. It reacts with water and it aids not only does it dissolve away and go into the soil, but it is really a good amendment revitalizing this in the sense of increasing those microbe populations. Now it's got one of the highest analyzes of an organic plant food when it comes to nitrogen, like eleven percent nitrogen and smells really good. As I say all the time I'm talking about sweet green, you can get it at places like an enchanted forest down in the Richmond Rosenberg area, but the Ace Hardware at Single Ranch on Mason Road, or perhaps you're up in the woodlands at all Spas Ace. Those are all places where you can find sweet green another Nitrofoss products. Let's see here, Oh I did you know? Oh I haven't. I want to talk a little bit about the vegetable garden in this transition season, and I think we'll do that when we come back. By the way, it would help, since this is a call in show, if I gave you a number right seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two five eight seven four. When you are looking at creating a beautiful garden bed, whether it's vegetables or herbs or whatever you're trying to plant, it all starts in the soil. That's why I say brown stuff before green stuff and airloom soils is they know how to do it. They're just professionals at it. And they have so many options from leap mo compost of veggian herb mixes, to mixes for fruit trees, for acid living plants, for roses and other blooming plants, heirloom soils. Here's the website airloomsoils dot com. Go check it out. Look at their soil mulch calculator that's on the website is awesome. Airloom soils. You can go up to porter and pick it up yourself. If you can them deliver it, you can have them bring it in a cubic yard supersack and put it right there in your driveway neat clean. I've done that myself. It really really is convenient. Heirloomsoils dot Com. Go there, learn about the products and I'll tell you this, You're not going to find a bad run in the bunch. I've used them. They work. Time for me to take a quick break. We'll be right back with your calls in just a moment. If you can listen to that song and your foot doesn't tap, then you check your pulse. If you, at this time of the year are not interested in growing something, planting something, check your pulse. It's spring.
Speaker 5: This is it.
Speaker 1: I mean, if there is one drop of garden blood in you, this will be a time when you know it's like, hey, look at that green stuff. I think I'll spurush up the flower beds and do something like that. All right, you get the idea.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: Super turf. Super Turf from nitrofoss is the silver bag that feeds for four months. That's what you need to remember. Silver bag four months. It is part of our summertime fertilization schedule. The fertilization scheduled for summer is designed with slow release products that will just you do them now and you're done at this. Plus returning grass plippings because they decompose and release nutrients too, carries you all the way into fall. Really, I mean you can, you can fertilize more if you want, but I'm saying just as a basic program, this is an excellent long term product that gradually releases those nutrients and it works really really well. By releasing them gradually, you cut down on mowing. You know, you put a fast release fertilizer down, you put too much of it especially, and that grass takes off growing like crazy. But it comes at the expense of a root system development. The grass actually gets top heavy, if you will, lots of top, not as much bottom. And we need that root system in order to take up water nutrients during the summer heat. Well, NIGHTE Fass super Turf does that. You can find it at I am Janet Gardens down there Richmond Rosenberg. You go to Hiding and Feed, which is stupidor Airline by the way, I forty five North area uh and then Pasadena go out of Fisher's hard around Sophomore and you'll find nitro frost products there as well. All right, Well, you're listening to garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter and the phone number seven one three two one two K t R H. Let's head out to Wilson in Riverside Terrace. Hello Wilson, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 6: If I'm not in Riverside anymore, I'm up here in Burlson.
Speaker 1: Now, Oh, Okay, Burleson County.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah, west of College Station.
Speaker 7: Anyway.
Speaker 1: I listen to the guy over there on KM you on Jerseys, Uh, okay, I know what I know that other guy used to do that show.
Speaker 6: I got you what's good stuff for getting rid of these pill bugs? I'm out here on two acres of land in this house built in the seventies. Then, uh that manage to get in the house and the garage all the time. What's good were getting rid of them?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You know, having a number one exterminators have access to stuff that is more persistent, and they can come out and do a treatment of the entrances, the thresholds and things, or you can do that. It needs to be a product that's going to be persistent, that's designed for treating, you know, in the home, especially the threshold around the outside pill bugs. Actually you know, just from an ecological standpoint, they're a beneficial insect and that they decompose organic materials. You get out in the garden with strawberries and you don't like them because they decompose your strawberries by eating the berries, and they have some other things like that. But just doing a treatment like that of some sort would be the way to get rid of them. If you're mostly concerned about them coming in the house, then I would just mainly treat those thresholds and brick and something that contains by fenthren b I f e N t h r I n is something you can get with counter do household treatment sprays. But mainly you're you're not, you know, blasting the whole floor of the house. You're you're you're stopping them from coming where they're entering in the house and on the sides of your foundation, you know, they're wherever they're going to come up and get in. That that's primarily what you need to do.
Speaker 8: Pikes, sir, I appreciate it, all right.
Speaker 1: All right, well thanks for the call up there in Burlas and Kenny, he take care you do.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 1: We go ahead to find the button. All right, Well, you're listening to Garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter. We're here to help you have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape. That's what we're trying to do here. That's what I would like to see happen. At least that makes sense. All right? Well, Uh, I wanted to talk about some products that know some plant food has been putting out for a good while. Uh, color Star is I would say, just like a national leader almost and when it comes to color fertilizer for color beds now and you can grow any plant with the color Star but I'm just saying it's focused on those flowering plants, annuals, perennial shrubs, trees, and other things too. It has fast acting effects and it has organic nutrients sources as well that help enrich that soil it's going to feed for about three to four months. Now, there's a version of it called color Star Plus that includes a systemic fungicide. Now, if you wanted to do a preventative for plants that are more prone toward fungal issues, well, the color Star Plus would already have in it that systemic to help plants against those type of disease problems. Color Star is extremely popular all over taxes. In fact, the Dean and Nelson's they get, oh gosh, I don't know, shipments all over the country. Really, people that try it out and had one just the other day he was talking about the somebody try it out a sample and they call and they go, I need more of that. They ordered the shipment of it. You know, once people try it, they find out it works and they use it. It's one of the there's a number of plant foods actually, the Nelson's had that are in the little jars with the screw top lid, and they're for specific things. They got one for hibiscus and flowering tropicals, which hey, we're in that season too. It's called nutristar Hibiscus and flowering tropicals. Go check those out. There's about a dozen places around town where you can refill the Nelson jars of various the primary types of products that come in the jars. Just like you're getting peanuts in the grocery store, you know, you pull a little handle and fill the bag. That's how you do your fertilizer from Nelson's at about a dozen places around town. It's less expensive to do it that way, but it also avoids throwing more plastic away into the environment.
Speaker 5: We already know we got.
Speaker 1: Enough of that. Where you're listening to garden Line, I was talking about a minute ago some drainage areas that I'm going to have to deal with and getting those right. I'm bed by bed revamping the whole backyard. The backyard has been needing some major rework since we moved into the high House, and we just got through planning some gingers in one bed, and I have a goal to plant as many fragrant plants as I can around the back patio area because I want to sit there, especially on summer evenings, and enjoy that fragrance. And there are so many good fragrant plants. We'll talk about a few of those as we go through. But in this bed I planted some of the Headicium, which is the genus genus of butterfly ginger. The white butterfly ginger is heavenly in its sense, like guardenias. And when our let's see a bit of a third child was born, I took a stem of that into the hospital room after the birth, and nurses were literally coming down the hall following the scint going. What is that smelt? They could smell it out in the hallway.
Speaker 9: It was.
Speaker 1: That's how fragrant white butterfly ginger is. It's awesome. Another plant that we put in is Brigmancia called Angel's trumpet. They're so beautiful, very tropical. They die of the ground. You need to mulch over them to protect the base so it re sprouts up again the next spring. Brigmancia has these tall, long, tubular flowers. I mean they're how roughly about eight ten inches long. They vary though some are even longer than that, but they emit a very nice fragrance at the end of the day. They're moth pollinated. I guess that typically is plants at bloom and had the fragrance late in the day and in the evenings. That typically is a sign they're probably bringing some moths in. Anyway. Brignancia angels trumpet, wonderful plant and beautiful to see that little structure. It's almost like a little miniature tree, and it has these pendant hanging down. That's what I'd call it. Angel's trumpet says if trumpets hanging down from heaven kind of thing, that's the idea. And we've got some others going and maybe I'll talk about those as we go through are mourning here, But anyway, it really really makes sense to take care of the soil first, to get everything right so that when you go ahead and plant something, you know that you are going to have success with it. That's kind of what we're aiming for, is success, right. Nobody buys plants to waste time and money. They buy plants to enjoy, and that's why it's so important to get the soil right and to get the plants that want to grow there. And then I guess I could keep going in then, but another end then would be and to make sure they're where they get the amount of sunlight that they want. Angels, trumpets light light. They need light, but especially if they're in a container, it's hard to keep them from welting because they need constantly moist soil to do well. And if they have a good, extensive root system and a little bit of shade, it's easy for them to do that. You don't have to pamper them along. But I had one and a half whisky barrel a couple of years ago that I just was having trouble getting out too enough to keep watering it, because I'd keep forgetting it for a day or two and then it'd be it'd be in trouble in Channi Gardens. That in Richmond is on the Katie Fullshire side of Richmond FM thirty or three fifty nine, three fifty nine, so you had north out of Richmond and in Chenny Gardens is one of those places you go and you want to take your friends and you want to go again too, by the way, so I would say never visited alone, take some people with you. That it's just an expanse of beauty and cool things from really nice pottery, beautiful gift shops. But plants in every category you can imagine, and they they evolved with the seasons. You know, at certain times there's certain vegetables being planted and they'll have them, the herbs, the flowers, the perennials. I love salvia's and boyd, they are a good salvia collection out there, Roses and so on. In Channy Gardens is cool. And another thing is the knowledge of the team. The team is helpful, they're enthusiastic as they come. You can bring them photos, you can bring them samples for assistance with that, and they will help you. They do a great job of combinant combining plants and hanging baskets and other planters out there. And maybe you want to do a little that yourself. We'll just go ahead and tell them here's what I'd like to do. They will tell you how to do it. That is really cool. I think that's an extra special thing. Let's see here. Oh, I know, I was the other day.
Speaker 10: What was I?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 1: I was talking to somebody and they were discussing fruit trees and the fact that their apple did not produce any fruit. And I was talking to them about pollination. You know, with some fruit trees you need a second variety, a different variety to pollinate. With some they pollinate themselves. So, for example, peaches pollinate themselves. Berries mostly pollinate themselves, but are much much better if you have a second variety for pollination, you have bigger berries and more of them. We can explain that later if you want, but just trust me on that when you have bigger berries and more of them. With blueberries and have a second variety. Plums mostly require a second variety. But methyle for example, would be an example of one that can pollinate itself. Pairs mostly require a second variety due to that. Absolutely need two varieties or so for apples. But it just depends on the fruit that you're trying to grow. But look into that first. Because you don't want to have a lonely Hearts club going on out there in the orchard. Make sure and get in a good garden center. We'll tell you that they'll guide you. Another reason to go to a good independent garden center that knows what they're talking about. I'm going to take a little break when we come back. We'll go to Lauren in Spring. All right, little Brad Paisley there, welcome back to Guardenline. Good to have you with us. Listen, But if you're looking for a place to find anything, you're looking for anything for your garden. We're talking about products to control paest diseases. We're talking about fertilizers of all types. We're talking about tools. Just you want to make your garden and your lawn and your landscape look good. Ace Hardware has got you covered. You can go to ACE Hardware Texas dot com. That's the website for our Houston Ace Hardware group for Garden line. Here is ACE Hardware Texas dot com. And if you go there put in where you're located, you'll find all the Acesardware stories that are right near you. And that way you can find a very convenient location. And there are so many of them that it is convenient. If you were to go out to Plantation Ace for example, out in Richmond, Texas, they're on Mason Road by the way out there, Well, that's convenient. If you go to J and R's up in Porter on FM thirteen fourteen, that's convenient. Maybe you're at in Burnham and you go to Brenham Ason North Austin Parkway. Just some examples of the mini ace haarders you're going to find at ACE Hardware Texas dot com. And when you go into any of them, you're gonna find what you need to have beauty and bounty when it comes to the place. All writing you are listening to garden Line our number seven one three two one two kat r H. We're gonna go to Lauren in Spring, Texas. Lauren, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 8: Yeah, good morning.
Speaker 1: I've got.
Speaker 8: A patch that kind of sprung up over the winter, a good section that from what I can tell is that I looked it up online and said pola annua and it's got a little thin white grassy leat uh and then has a little white seed on top. I don't know how whyatt got there, but it's a good section, you know. All of a sudden, it's just there. And so I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. And then uh, if if there's something that can kill it, but then what do I how do I restore that area with my Saint Argus?
Speaker 1: All right, well, first of all, it's dying now, it's going to be gone here for too long. The problem is that is loaded with seeds, and that is that grass is one of the banes of golf courses and other turf managers because it's so prolific, and also some varieties of it now have become resistant to certain pesticides and so certain herbicide. Excuse me. The way to what you can do now is to the extent that you can get seeds out of there, try to do it. I do hand pulling, because I have it here and there all through the yard, and little tiny little single plants here and there, So hand pulling is not that impractical for me if if you've got a large patch, maybe setting a lawnmower down low and trying to get those seed heads out, but that's not going to be super effective with POA, just because it can set seeds down so low and response. Then the next thing to notice is the pre emergent herbicide application in fall. That's very important for POA. And so if you go to my schedule gardening with skip dot com, the lawn Pest Disease and Weed Management schedule has a fall pre emergent application on it, and that one is the one that prevents you from being back here next year in the same situation. These seeds, the plants your see and now germinated in October November last year, and so getting a pre emergent down ahead of that is very important.
Speaker 8: Oh okay, so but for right now, and just pull the seeds and.
Speaker 1: Just get the seeds as best you can, you know, if it's practical to do it. Sounds like you've got a pretty solid infestation, and so trying to get seeds out may not be super helpful, but be ready to do the pre emergent and just know that some pre emergence, depending on the genetic characteristics of the poet at your house. It may be resistant to some pre emergence, but let's hope not. And unless at the edge of a golf course.
Speaker 8: What about any post emergents like something?
Speaker 1: Well, the problem with post yeah, yeah, like if you were to spray in the cool season or in early spring a post emergent, you would kill your your grass too, because grass. Post emergent kills grass and didn't care whether it's a weed or a lawn. So that's the problem with post emergence on poa. Okay, St Augustine, I do yeah, okay, so so all right to fill it in though, like once it's died, died out or whatever. And so now I've got some damaged lawn.
Speaker 8: There is there anything I mean, I don't think that there is, but is there anything like uh, Saint Augustine seed that I could kind of help fill in there?
Speaker 12: Now?
Speaker 1: Just just getting some side pieces and or if you want to make them go a little further then you can. You can cut them into three or four strips and plant those strips about a foot apart to fill in an area, to spend less on grass more more on labor and time that you can break those up. But those are the two options. Really, if you have an area it's more than one foot between Saint Augustine, that's healthy, then I would fill it in with something because it will fill in a foot over the course as we get into summer and stuff. Pretty well, okay, all right, hey, I gotta I gotta run, but good luck with that. I appreciate. I appreciate you giving us a call. You take care, sure, take care already. Yeah, there we go. Yeah, this is the case.
Speaker 13: Hey.
Speaker 1: For those of you up in the in the Greater Willis area, I bet you never heard that term. Greater Willis well, Growers Outlet in Willis is the place you need to check out if you haven't already been there. That's the website and the name as well. Growers Outlet in Willis. Go check it out. They list their plants on there, they list their prices on there, which is really unusual for a garden center to do. But they have all kinds of plants and what do you want, you know, vegetables and herbs and flowers and hanging baskets and fruit trees and shrubs and just on and on, and then the products to go with them. Products from Microlife and Nitrofoss and Medina. For example, Growers Outlet and Willis are on seventy five south of Willis, just a few minutes from Interstate forty five. So all of you up there in the April Sound, for example, by the lake down in the Woodlands, even it's not up too far of a drive to get up there to Growers Outlet, and then certainly up in the metropolis is around Willis Lake, New Caney. Excuse me, Nukunie's other direction from that, but anyway, check it out head on out there. I've been impressed every time I've done that. You can purchase for pickup online if you want to do that, and they keep those things updated online. So bookmark the Growers Outlet in Willis dot com and when you go in, check out the little gift shop too and some of the nice cool things that they have inside. We're going to go out to West Chase now and talk to Patrick. Hello, Patrick, welcome to gard.
Speaker 14: Good morning, good morning, Well thank you skip listen Ben listening to you since you came on, and really enjoy your show. But I've got an issue here with a grape vine. It's a Zinfandels grape vine. Probably have no damn business growing it in West Chase to begin with, But it's thriving. It just it's a gorgeous plant. But I have a leaf infestation of a worm. It's a yellow and black striped worm. At maturity there may be half an inch long, and they will defoliate this thing if I don't get ahead of them. Yesterday I took every leaf off that I could find any trace of them. But but there go be back. What can I how can I get rid of those?
Speaker 1: Well, here's the thing. It could be. It could be more than one thing. You may well have something called a grape leaf skeletonizer, but there's some others. I would get a product containing spin no sid s p I n O S A D spin no sid and apply that that. When you apply it, anything that eats that leaf is going to get killed. But you need to do it early. When the caterpillars are very very young, it's easy to kill them with stuff.
Speaker 15: You know.
Speaker 1: As things get older, well, number one, they've already done the damage to the leaf and they're a little harder to kill. But find something with spino sid. Spray your grape leaves at the first sign of those things, and you ought to be that ought to do an okay job for you on it.
Speaker 14: Okay, great, I appreciate that, all right.
Speaker 1: And now you bet and just remember on garden Line, we don't charge for advice, but we do ask for half the produce you grow as a result of it. So I'm looking forward to getting load a truckload of grapes at the at the station.
Speaker 14: Well, thanks, it is a yielder, it's a it's it's throwing them out there. So and I don't I didn't grow them to I didn't grow them to feed the birds, squirrels or worms.
Speaker 1: So okay, well you're on the right track. Hey, thanks man, Uh, I got to run, but thank you for the call. Thank you for the help. All right, we'll be right back. Welcome back to Guardline. Hey, if you'd like to give us call seven one three two one two E t r H. Seven one three two one two k t r H. I was getting out some microlife hummates plus that I have on hand.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 1: Basically, that product is going to contain, uh think of it this way as con concentrated compost in a bag. It's going to contain a lot of decomposed organic matter concentrated into the final decomposition one of the final decomposition stages of organic matter. Why does that happen? Why does nature? Why is nature set up to take what was once alive and turn it into essentially humous by the time it gets through. The reason is it's good. It's good for the soil. It helps microbial activity, it helps sol structure in a lot of things. And when you fertilize number one, you're going to grab the microlife six y two four. That's the green bag. It's a three one to two ratio fertilizer. The green bag put it out, and then the hemates plus is just icing on the cake. You're not putting it on to make the grass green. Six y two four does that. The green bag makes it green, good color for the bag, and the purple bag the heum mats plus. That one is going to give you the benefits to the soil over time that you want. And so I would do it into as many times a year as you want. Doesn't have to be done when you fertilize, but you already got the spreader out and your heading across the yard. Just do your six y two four green bag and then come back with the purple and finish up on that. You're going to find more information on microlife at Microlifefertilizer dot com. They've got a great website with lots of information on their granular and their liquid products as well. You know, while we're talking about, you know, benefiting the soil and the benefits of those those humates, Nature's Way Resources was set up for that very purpose that the name is Nature's Way. What is the way nature takes care of plants? Think about that? The Redwood forests in California, the Great Plains of America, when the settlers came across in wagons and grat wild grass deep as the horse's belly, right, Who took it? Who fertilized that? Who took care of that soil? Nature did the system? Did organic materials die, They decompose, They feed the soil, The micropes go nuts, the soil gets better. The nutrients are there, the structure is there, the internal drainage is there. From a tropical rainforest that hasn't been touched to the Grads Lines of America to your yard, the same system is in place, and Nature's Way has designed products for that and whether you're growing vegetables or whether you're growing roses and other bloomers. If you've got acidic plants, acid living plants like blueberries and azaleas and camellias and gardenias and even roses like some acidic they've got all those products, plus the mulches that go on top of the soil, which, by the way, nature does too. Basically, Nature's Way dis stilled all their ideas from the design of nature. That's that's a silly way to put it, but it's true that they follow the principles of nature to help you have success at home. Brown stuff before green stuff, and Nature's Way gets you all set up on the bronzeff. By the way, the website is, they got a new revamped website, Nature's Way Resources dot com. It's really good. Go check it out Nature's Way Resources dot Com. You can give them a call. Nine three six seven excuse me, two seven three twelve hundred nine three six twelve hundred. We're gonna head out the surfside down and talk to Mike. Hey, Mike, welcome to jarden Line.
Speaker 15: Hey Skip, good morning. Hey, I've got a question for you regarding tomatillos Uh, all, my tomatoes are setting fruit perfectly. And I've got tomatilla plants growing right next to tomato plants, and they're not setting a piece.
Speaker 4: Of fruit yet.
Speaker 1: The tony tillas aren't.
Speaker 15: The tomatillos are not. The regular tomatoes are loaded with tomatoes and the tomatas's Different's going on?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, that happens. It's happened. It's happened to me a lot. You got. These plants are getting bigger, they're blooming, and the blooms are just falling off. And I am not a tomy teo expert. I'll tell you that. But someone had told me one time that they do benefit from some pollination. I'm saying that is something I heard, not something that I have determined is absolutely true. But I when I plant differently more than one. Uh, they seem to do better in cross pollinating, as long as they're not genetically identical or whatever? Uh is that is that chicken griping about something back there or what they bragging about?
Speaker 5: An egg?
Speaker 11: Foo?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they show me eggs. I'll show you food, all right. I love it. I love chicken anyway. The toy tellos having others helps. I think, I don't know how much. It just the plant settles in and kind of begins to set in time. I found that to be true of ground cherries and to their cousins, to may tillos as well. But I I just do you have more than one plant? And did you plant them from seed or transplants.
Speaker 15: From well, they should purple and a grain tomatio and they're loaded with the balloons or super healthy looking plants. They're there's not just fruit. Tomatoes are loaded.
Speaker 16: Weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I've had that same problem early on, especially in the season. So I'm gonna do this. I've kind of told you what I think on it, but let me let me look into it and I'll mention something on the air if I can can hunt down a better answer further than that.
Speaker 15: Okay, I listened all morning, so thanks, Skip, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot. I appreciate you listening all morning. You take care, calculator. That is a good That is a good thing. We call this stump the chump hour, and he just kind of about half stumped me there, and I'm gonna I'm gonna find out though, because I have had that happen, I have noticed that happening, and I'd like to give a better answer than what I think. Prefer to stick with what I know. See how well that goes. RCW Nurseries is an awesome garden center. They're located there at Tomball Park, win About Way eight, the corner of Tamball Park, win Boat Wait. You can go to the website RCW Nursries dot com. You can follow him on social. RCW always has a nice selection of whatever you're looking for. I was out there shopping myself this year and I just love visiting the place. You know, the whole team there, the Willimsonce. They've been in this business since what nineteen seventy nine, I think same family still runs it. And when you go to RCW, you're going to find the brown stuff too, meaning fool products, fertilizer products to go along with the wonderful plants that you're bringing home. Look at the beautiful hibiscus that they have. They carry that Cajun series of hibiscus that I really like, and they're just gorgeous plants. In fact, I have two that are brought home the other day and they need to go into the garden and they will be doing that this week. As we get going, you'll find good succulents, good annual flowers. It's certainly an excellent selection of all of that. And some really gorgeous hanging baskets too, by the way, really beautiful hanging baskets. Stop by RCW again. They are the place for roses. I mean, they so many stunning roses, just beautiful, beautiful roses, and you get to see him in bloom and pick out the one you like. RCW Nursery's corner of Beltway eight and Tombol Parkway, which is Highway two forty nine. That works out. Let's see, I need to figure out when my out time is here on this hour. That doesn't look quite Oh, there we go. Okay, got it, which means I'm almost there, almost there. Houston Powder Coats is the company you hear me talk about that will take that outdoor metal and make it look new again. Powder coating is a process better than painting. And you will not believe what they can do with some old furniture you got out there, even if it's rusty, even if it needs you know, things replaced like sling fabric and vinyl straps and hardware like bolts, and nuts and things. They will powder coat that and have it looking like new. The website is Houston Powdercoders dot com Houston Powdercoats dot com. Now, if you want a quick quote, send a picture of your furniture or any kind of outdoor metal that you want to get powder coded to. Sales at houstoncoders dot com. Sales at houstoncoders dot com. Hey guess what I'm gonna do today. I Am going to head to Southwest Fertilizer. Southwest Fertilizer. I will be there from twelve noon to two pm, and you need to come out and see me. For those of you who you know you don't live right there in Southwest Houston, you just haven't been over there before, or those of you who do who somehow have avoid getting in there, I don't know how that could happen. Come on out and see this place. It is unbelievable. You hear me brag about them all the time. Excellent. We're going to be doing some giveaway. I'm going to give away some what they call skip bucks and stuff like that. I'll tell you more about that when we come back. But there'll be some cool give boy stuff and I'll be there looking at your samples and helping you have success. Whatever ales your garden. You're going to find the solution to a Southwest fertilizer. And the dogs out working outside this week with my two Golden Retrievers who love to go outside with me. And these dogs are not gardening dogs. Well they think they are, but they're not. You know that American Kennel Club AKC, they have groups of dogs. There's a sporting group, there's a hunting group, there's you know, so on like that. There's not a gardening group in the AKAC. And they need to have a gardening group. And someone who does dog training, you know, makes them sit and stay and obey and roll over and do tricks and all the amazing things dogs can do needs to train dogs to garden. And I so have any out there looking for a new line of work, maybe that will be a teach a dog to garden. Ellie are female Golden retriever. When she was little, I went out one time. I was planting plants in a back bed, little four inch pots. I was sitting out in a bed and I got you know, worked for a while and then got out and went inside. Gud drink water whatever, and came back out and Ellie was sitting on the back in the back, right by the back door mat, and there in front of her, with the little dirt all over her face was a four inch pot that she had retrieved. She's a golden retriever and brought back to me. So what I suggest is, let's train dogs to retrieve weeds and to not retrieve plants, and to not dig in flower best. Do you think we can do that? Is that possible? Is that asking too much? I would like that if that would be the case in a vegetable garden. My dogs, I don't know why it is. There's pathways where you walk, not my dogs. They hop up in the bed and they walk down the bed. That's how they get from one place to another. We're working on that. But anyway, we love those dogs. But oh my gosh, there's a new line of work for some buddy. I talk about the importance of soil all the time, and I guess I will continue to be a broken record on that because it is the single most important thing you do, because it's what we do. At the beginning of any kind of planting, you're gonna put in a lawn, you're gonna put in flower beds, you're gonna put into a flower or a vegetable garden rather or a herb garden or rose bushes, whatever you're gonna do. It starts with the soil. And ciinum Altch down south of Houston is the go to place for as I put it, the brown stuff that comes before the green stuff. Saw first, then plants. Now you can do them both. You can get them both at the same time. You get your green stuff and your brown stuff at the same time, bring them home, but start with the brown stuff. Cinamult has quality blends like a rose mixes and vegetable and herb mixes and all kinds of composts, and they just have quality stuff. That's what they do there. And then to top it off and literally that's what we do. The mulches that go on top of the ground. That keeps the soul moist. It prevents erosion, it prevents crusting in summer, it cuts down on heat. There is a humongous difference between how hot it is a couple of inches deep where roots are with and without malts. I mean, it's dramatic. I don't even know how roots live in the top three inches of soil. With the summer blazing summer heat we have around here. Cana Malts will get you the malts to fix that. They also carry the fertilizers of all types that you hear me talk about. Have you ever heard me talk about Microlife or Nelson's turf Star line or their their plant food jars or Medina products or products from nitrofoss or airloom soils or azamite. All of that is at Ciena Maltz. They are on FM five twenty one. It's kind of close to where six and two eighty eight come together. Here's what you need to do Ciena Maltz dot com. Write that down, go to that website if you are within twenty miles up and down there. They will deliver for a small fee, but you can just go get it yourself. But when you let Sienimals provides you what you need, you are seventy five percent on your way to success. And I mean that, I mean that literally. Let me let me put it this way. I'm taking too much time on this, but it's important. When you put a seed or a plant in the ground and you step up and walk away you're seventy five percent of the way to success or failure, maybe more. And you're thinking, yeah, but it's got to be watered, and it's got to be fertilized, And yes, I know that, you got to do pesca.
Speaker 4: I know that.
Speaker 1: But by the time you stand up and walk away, you've either prepared the soil or you haven't. And so that root system is either going to strive, thrive, or struggle one or the other. It has the amount of sun at once, or it doesn't because you've chosen a spot that soil is raised up so that it excess drains away or it's boggy and it doesn't, and the plant hasn't a p about that. The nutrient levels are there or they're not in the soil. Do you put the fertilizers and things in to help that foundation that bank account have what the plant's going to need to grow. You've chosen the plant varieties and species that are either going to thrive in your yard and our location here are they're not. So that's what I mean by seventy five percent of the way to success, and soil is a huge part of that, all right, that Dante, I'm going to take that little clip and probably post it to Facebook this week that that is something that needs to be said and said and said very important. It's easy to get excited about the flowers and the vegetables and all of that, but it starts with a soil. You either have done it or you have it. Let's head up to Tomball. We're going to talk to Beth. Hello, Beth, welcome to Guardenline.
Speaker 11: Hik skip.
Speaker 7: How are you this morning.
Speaker 1: I'm doing well. Thank you well.
Speaker 7: I sent you an email with a picture of one of my apple trees that I'm concerned about and I was hoping you could help me.
Speaker 17: And so the.
Speaker 7: This particular one, if you look kind of down on the base of it, the bark is having an issue. And then all my other apple trees, so I've planted five at the same time, and they're almost a year in the ground and all of them are leaping out except for this one. Now they're different varieties. There's this one is a Red Delicious, but I have two Red Delicious, and the other one is doing fine, and all the other ones they're doing okay, but this one, I'm worried. I don't know what's going on with the bark and then also you see the growth coming out from the bottom of it.
Speaker 18: Yes, so anyway, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: All right? Well here, well, here's what I think. First of all, you've done a great job with the mulch and with putting the cajor. You must have deer around there, but it looks the setup's all good. The problem is apples come in different chilling requirements, meaning they have to have a certain amount of temperature around forty five degrees in order for the buds to wake up in the spring, and if they don't, they don't leave out, and then in time you'll get a leaf bud break here and a bud break there. But it looks just like half awake and it Red Delicious does not have a long term future in our area. Sorry to have to tell you that, but that one requires way too many hours of chilling to thrive in our area. Now there are variations on Red Delicious, but you're going to need to I think that's the problem with that plant. I do see that I don't know how much water it's getting. There's some being applied in that picture, but you want to keep the soul moist, but not overwater. That's also important, But I think the number one thing you're seeing is chilling hours. I can't see the damage at the bottom in the photo. It's just too far away. But it may be that the root stock has sprouted, and maybe there was damage to the trunk and the rootstock has sprouted and that's the growth you see coming out at the bottom. I don't know. I can't tell that. The biggest issues you could, Yeah.
Speaker 7: I was hoping you could zoom in on it. When I zoom in on it on my phone, I can see it pretty clear. And I'll tell you what I was concerned about, too, is you know some kind of bug is getting into it. That that either either the water is or some kind of bug was getting into it.
Speaker 1: But all right, so I'm gonna have to I'm gonna have to go back, but I can't zoom in. It's too pixelated. But if you want to go up closer, if you can get a camera in there closer, I'll be happy to take another look. Just we send a photo. But the bottom line is it's red delicious and you just need to replace it with something else. Sorry to have to run, but I gotta go. Doris in Austin County. You'll be first up when I come back. All right, and welcome back to the garden line.
Speaker 5: Good to have you with us.
Speaker 1: Looking forward to visiting with you about the questions that you have. Give me a call seven one three two one two KTRH and we will visit about it. I am in the process of plant mentioned the beds I was putting together and the planting. Some of the planting plants I have at the house. One of them in the back was fragrant plants. Love fragrant plants. I got some more going in soon. Maybe we'll continue that conversation here as time allows this morning, at some point. But another part of my planting scheme is planting for the birds. Planting things that brings birds in, not not just the seeds and things of the plants, but like with hummingbirds, what are flowers that they love? They love salvias, by the way, I loves salvias, and they love anything with long tubular red flowers, but not just that, like some of the Salvia garanitica that have the purple dark dark blue purple flowers, they love those too, And that's not a red flower. And you can plant things that are shade loving that will attract them. You can plant things that are some loving that will attract them, but I love those things. We have our hummingbird feeders out that we have from our wild birds, unlimited feeders, but plants. And that Salvia leucantha is a fall blooming, late summer and fall blueing sage. I just love it. There's a variety called Santa Barbara that's a little bit smaller compact. You can get Salvia leucantha in an all. I don't know the color. I'm color challenged, but it's not purple. But it's at fusha and I don't know. You guys tell me anyway. It beautiful spikes. Oh, by the way, I saw that Arburgate has that Santa Barbara and other salvius, and in fact they have one of the best selections of you're gonna find anywhere. Arbigate is up in Tomball for those of you who don't know. It's just west of Tombol on twenty nine to twenty, just about a mile and a half west of two forty nine. The main north south through Tomball turn west on twenty nine to twenty about a mile and a half on the left, while you're there. You are gonna number one. Go park in the back. Go off Trishel Road. It's a loop that goes behind Urburgate. Park back there and have fun with plants. But remember always the brown stuff. So before you go home, grab their three bags. The organic food Complete that is an organic fertilizer that also includes calcium, the Organic Soil Complete, and the Organic Compost Complete. And with those three pretty much team thing you want to grow, you can grow it with success. Now, if you're doing a major bed renovation or something you need more than just a few bags, Arbigate can deliver in bulk those soil complete and the compost Complete by the Qbkyard. So just talk to them about that. But go check out their salvias and uh and and all the plants that they have that will attract not only pollinators but also hummingbirds to your garden. Let's head now up to Austin County and we're going to talk to Doris. Hello, Doris, Hello, how are you? I'm well? Thank you.
Speaker 18: I have a question about my sun Sunshine lagustrums. They have some type of pipe, white powdery stuff on their trunks and stands. How do I get rid of it, Uh, that.
Speaker 1: Is probably powdery mildew. Powdery mildew likes mile temperatures and high humidity, and we have a lot high humidity here period, but especially you know these with the rains and things that we often get, humidity levels go up even more. And then when you add that in the condition of a plant that can get powdery mildew like many lagustriums can. That's what you're dealing with. So you can sway to prevent it. Spray to prevent it. On an organic option to prevent it would be nim oil. Nim oil spray to the plants. But you know, once it's on there, that means it's also in the leaf. So spray in the surface of the leaf is not It's not going to make the leaf turn pretty and green again, right, It'll just kill the powdery mildew. So we spray to prevent it. There are synthetic products that will prevent powdery mildew like beloton is one that is it moves into the plant and it lasts a little bit longer in protecting it. But either way, you've got those options.
Speaker 18: Okay, what was the first one you said?
Speaker 1: Nim oilnem oil.
Speaker 18: Okay, got that, and do you.
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 18: Do they make a liquid rose food that you can just spray on.
Speaker 1: They make there's a lot of liquid products that you can apply. The folks at Medina have a number of different products that can be applied as a folier feed. The folks at Microlife have several products that can be applied as a folier feed too. The best way to feed plants nutrients is through the roots. Now, some of the folier products will have other things in them that can be helpful for plants, for protecting the surface of the leaves and things. But you know it, if you're going to grow roses with success, you need to have a really well prepared bed soil that has a good level of nutrients. And we're constantly adding little bits more, especially of the nitrogen to keep those roses doing their best.
Speaker 18: All, can I ask you one more QUI.
Speaker 1: Real quick?
Speaker 18: I have a ivy tree. Okay, it's one of those that the little I can't think of it.
Speaker 16: What is it?
Speaker 1: I don't know what an ivy tree is. I just don't know what an ivy tree is. Good. I'm gonna put you on hold and get my email and would you send me a picture of it with your question, i'd appreciate that if you want to hang on, if you can send me a picture, I'll try to answer that. We're gonna go out to Willowbrook now and talk to Steve. Hello, Steve, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 19: Hey, thanks, good morning. I've got some areas under my trees where the Saint Augustine is really struggling, and I'm thinking that I'm gonna have to put a groundcover in place of the grass. And I saw noticed that I've got some areas where something that's been identified on my app as straggler daisy. Yeah, it's done, and it's doing very well and it looks nice, and I'm wondering, Yeah, I've never heard of it before. I was wondering if that was a reasonable groundcover.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. It'll do really well there. And I know Buchanan's Native Plants and the Heights on eleven Street sells it. Straggler Daisy has a little tiny yellow flowers. It does well in a dry shade too. Out if you go out west, you know Austin direction and hill country, you'll see it used a lot out there by native plant enthusiasts and just growing wild. I mean it's basically a weed that makes a nice, low growing groundcover, and it's tough. I guess if you put it on a swamp it would die. But basically, I mean not even round up kills that stuff. It is a good, low growing groundcover that's native and attracts certain kinds of butterflies in too, by the way, So yes, that's good choice.
Speaker 19: Well good, this stuff is growing like crazy and propagating.
Speaker 1: I don't know that I need to plant it.
Speaker 19: I might just let it go, but okay, would like a pre emergent herbicide.
Speaker 16: Thwart it.
Speaker 19: Do I need to avoid pre emergent herbicides while I'm trying to get this to grow.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know to what percentage receding is, how it spreads versus just spreading. It's a you know, it's a very persistent spreader. So yeah, I don't You could probably get away with that because you're gonna have a lot of weeds coming up in it. So anyway, I wouldn't worry a lot about the pre emergent on it. But the main thing is just get it filled in. You know, you want it to be nice and solid and pretty and so that's why I was suggesting maybe throwing a few extra plants in or doing some dig and move around your area, you know, to get some of your plants spread out in other areas. All right, Steve, I need to run, but thank you for that calling. Good luck with it. Yeah, good choice, good choice. By the way, we talk about nutrients all the time and fertilizing your plants, and asamite is a trace mineral supplement that you use it as a way to build your nutrient bank account of micronutrients that are essential for plants. Okay, this isn't the fertilizer bag with the three numbers on it. We still need to do that. Asamite contains minerals that are not part of those three numbers on a fertilizer bag. And you can apply it when you fertilize in a separate application, or you can apply it any time of the year. It doesn't matter. When you put an asmite down, it gets watered in, you get the nutrients in the soil, and that's how it works. So asumite Texas dot com is the website and where do you get it? Everywhere? You're going to find it at garden centers. You're going to find it at Aceard Restored, You're going to find it at some of our stores. Uh, just a lot of different places. Southwest Fertilizer carries as might. Of course they carry everything. But that's just another place that you get it. And it's a good time now to go ahead and get that down. We are going to head now to Netherland and talk to Randy. Hello, Randy.
Speaker 20: Skiff, how are you this morning?
Speaker 1: Good? I should have said Neiland, shouldn't.
Speaker 9: I yep, Needland.
Speaker 15: That's it.
Speaker 16: That's it. I've got I've got a.
Speaker 1: Problem with what.
Speaker 4: I have.
Speaker 1: I have a little minute, and we can hold you after. We can hold you after break. But I have less than a minute. So let's see what we can do.
Speaker 9: I just wanted to warn you white fly white flies on vegetables. Had a real problem with them last year, already have a problem with them this year. I've sprayed for me, thrown soft Lutheran malathion and rotated through that.
Speaker 10: Stuff in there a problem, Yeah, they are?
Speaker 9: Is there is there a systemic that I can use on vegetables.
Speaker 1: For white flies? I don't know. I would hesitate to do that anyway, Since you're eating the things. But off top of my head, here's the thing on white flies, and I got like five seconds. They the more you spray, the more you kill the things that keep them in check, and the worse the white flies get. So once you start doing that, it just like it seems it seems like they're getting worse. So I would try to back off the sprays.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna hold you until after break because I want to continue entering this. Just one second. We'll be right back, folks. All right, we're back. Welcome back to the guard line. Good to have you with us. I was checking my mosquito buckets before the rain we got yesterday, and we're starting to get those larvae in there, which is what we want. Mosquito buckets. By the way, I get Pest Brothers is the survey that provides that they cover the whole Houston area. Of course they do everything. They don't just do mosquito buggets. But whether you're out there and Katie or all the way across on the east of Baytown or the Woodlands all the way down to Texas City, they cover your area and they do any kind of pest environment type things you need. You got dealing with rats and other things. They can handle that termites. Gosh, we live in termite heaven down here, and there's more than one kind of termite we get and you got to know what you're doing to prevent them, and they can do that. They have something that lasts ten years literally and it's just a little trench right beside your house that they do. So it's very minimal in terms of any kind of an environmental concern at all. They focus on that. They know how to treat things effectively, and they know how to do it in the safest manner, and this new technology they're using does both of that. It's really really good long term control without worries. You can call them for a quote two eight one two oh six forty six seventy. You can ask them about those mosquito buckets too, by the way, or go to the website thepestbros dot com. Thepestbros dot com. Visiting Randall just the other day, we're talking about some of the insect issues going on and whatnot. And I'm telling you, the guys know what they're doing, and they take care of you and they treat you right. Let's head now to Randy in Neederland. Hey, Randy, we were in the process of talking about white flies on vegetables and I had to go to break before I could tell you what I wanted to say next. And that is the best way I think to deal with white flies is to use a oil, a vegetable oil type spray spray it upward from under the leaves, and do so about weekly. And here's the thing. White flies lay eggs under the leaf that become pupa that turn into the pupa look like a little tiny almost fish scales, but real tiny. In other words, they're flat kind of chartrus's looking to clear and the oil, the oil smothers and kills those. And it's not a poison that's going to kill all the white fly enemies as easily and periodically doing that to get that back under control and get the natural enemies back. Otherwise it's you versus white flies, which means just spray spray, spray spray, And nobody wants to do that in their vegetable garden or or with their time.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 4: Well, so you said that was a vegetable spray.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a horticultural oil, is what I should have I put it. But horticultural oils can be from petroleum products or they can be other types of oil, but they're very lightweight. They're not dorman oil. Dorm and oil would burn your plants, and even horticultural oil, you don't want to spray it when it's hot and the sun is baking down, you know, maybe late at the end of the day or early in the morning, very early in the morning, and you want to spray upward to get the undersides of the leaves, because that's why the white where the white flies life cycle is going on on the bottoms, undersides of the leaves.
Speaker 10: Yes, sir, yes, sir, okay, skip, I appreciate it, thank you, yes, I bet.
Speaker 1: Thanks for hanging around. Appreciate appreciate you hanging around on that. In Enchanted Forest down in the Richmond Rosenberg area, by the way, they're on FM twenty seven fifty nine south of fifty nine or I sixty nine. Now. Enchanted Forest is the one stop shop for native pollinator plants, for plants to attract the birds and especially especially the bees and butterflies and things and the hummingbirds of course, and the native plants just do such a good job of that, and they have the kinds that do well. You know, Salvias of various types, and one of my favorite type of plants there is is Salvias lentana. Did you know there are native lentana too, as well as the improved types of lananna, and they have a huge range of varieties and they're not just beautiful, but they're really drought resilient plants. They thrive in our climate. You know, when and you get a plant that is from this region and it's going to do well here, well, you don't have the water as much, you know, watering and fertilizing and pampering and trying to keep them alive. It kind of gives way. Do the plant take care of itself pretty much. I mean, of course you can push it along with some good care and have better results from it. But in Chenna forest carries those kind of fun They understand that sort of thing they do, and so when you go in there, they have a greenhouse now where they're growing a lot of their own stuff. And so they got Salvia gara garaz another native plant lantanah rebeccia cone flowers. We have wild cone flowers here in Texas and native cone flowers, and they're constantly bringing new things out that look good. I just want to mention tomorrow, I hope there's still openings on this. But they have a living wreath making take so it's what you would expect. Imagine a wreath with kind of some sphagnum moss in it, and you're planting plants into it, a living so you get to learn how to do it, and you get to take it home with you. So that's a I mean, a value item when you get done learning and making ones forty five dollars a person out It intended for us tomorrow at noon, So go ahead and give them a call makes and see if they're still openings for it. But number one, you need to go out there anyway to see all their pollinator plants and all the butterfly attracting plants and whatnot. And I head now up to Spring Branch and talk to Herda. Hello, Herda, welcome to.
Speaker 12: Garden Line, Thank you, good morning.
Speaker 1: My question, good morning.
Speaker 12: After that awful storm and everything. But anyway, I have a lot of little baby oaks in my front yard. They had to take down a giant oak, but anyway, they're mostly that just the native oak, some be a live oaks. What is the best way to I'd like to put them in like a gallon pot, no more than twelve inches tall summer eight and either give them the neighbors or you know, someone wants to give me a dollar or two form.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So here's what you do herd. You dig down around the plant. You don't need to go wide. You can dig the width of a gallon pot. That's what you're gonna put them in. But dig down deeper because they have a tap root. Seedling oaks have a tap root, and so you want to go down rather than wide, and just dig them up, disturb the soil as least as you can. You almost need like a little sharpshooter or something to get down in there. Uh, and then slide them into the pot. And I would move them to a bright shade location. So because they've lost roots, you want the demands to be not as high as they would be in full sun. Give them a few weeks in that bright shade, and then get them into more light after that. The best time to do that is in the fall. But since they're little tiny seedlings, go ahead and do a few of them now and see how they hold up. Let me know how they do for you over the coming months. But that'll do it.
Speaker 12: All right, Thank you very much, take care well.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for calling back. Don't be a stranger. Bye bye, bye bye. Southwest Fertilizer. I was talking about them earlier. They're in their seventieth year now, a business done the last seventy years. In fact, thrive get better and better as the years go by. Without them treating their customers right and having what the customers want. You don't walk into Southwest and walk out going well, I was a waste of time. I couldn't find anything I was looking for. It's the opposite everything you're looking for. Everything is there. I mean, if they don't have it, you don't need it. Herbicides, instants, insecticides, fertilizers. If you're an organic gardener and you go I don't use chemicals, well yeah, you do use organic ones. But they have the hugest organic selection in Houston. They widespread products, lots of good things. By the way, I'm going to be there today. I'll be at Southwest Fertilizer today. Be a great day to come out at noon to two pm to be there for two hours noon to two pm. We're going to be giving away some skip Bucks. Bob is thrown in a couple of really cool items. I'm going to tell you a little bit more about them later, but that are a battery operated electric tools that are going to be as part of a drawing for a giveaway. While you're there too, bring me samples. Let's talk about them. But while you're in there, I guarantee you this, you're not going to bring anything in to me today that if it needs a product, they're not they are going to have it there. There's nothing that they won't have the product you need for At Southwest Fertilizer. It's corner of Bissinet and Runwick, corner of Bissonet and Runwick in Southwest Houston. I'll be there from twelve to two. I hope that you will come on out. I gosh, I've got to take a little break here. When we come back, Charles and cold Spring and Jim and Spring, you'll be our first two up. All right, we're back. We're gonna jump right back in on this one. I was mentioned I'll be at Southwest Fertilizer from twelve to two, and I wanted to tell you a little specifically, I'm going to give out some ten dollars skip bucks. What does that mean? It means you come to the table, you visit with me, ask a gardening question, let me look at a sample, whatever you want to do. I look at pictures on your phone. Help you have success, and I'll have hand you a ten dollars six skip buck that you can use in the store to purchase something. Now we're gonna have door prizes. Here's the two that Bob is putting up there. A Touro battery powered blower and a Touro battery powered string trimmer. Can we give both of those away? So as I wrap up my appearents, I'll make the drawing for them. You know, if you can't hang along around that long, we'll get your name and address, phone number whatever or not address but name phone numbers so we can contact your email. But Tourol battery powered blower and Turol battery powered string trimmer. Now we're going to have some samples that I'm gonna be given out from Medina Products. And uh, of course Diana's wife will be there as serving refreshments as always, and they always have refreshments, so we have a good time doing it. I hope you come out and see me. I love that place, love to visit with people that listen to garden Line. While you're there, you can grab some Nitrofos Super Turf. The silver bag. You know, Bob carries every kind of fertilizer in the world, but that nice slow release silver bag of Nitrofoss Super Turf. It's going to carry you all the way through summer and for our soils, for our climate. It is an outstanding product designed for soils and climate. Here by the way, Saint Augustine Bermuda Zoisia. Whatever kind of loan you have, it is a product that will work well for you. That's from Nitrofoss and it's time. Don't delay, go ahead and get it down. We're going to go now to spring or a cold spring and talk to Charles. Hey, Charles, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 19: I want to skip.
Speaker 1: Morning.
Speaker 13: I have a few lime trees that I protected over the winter, stuck them in the well house that kept the light on seventy something degrees close to eighty, and they decided that it was spring. So when it did thaw out, I moved them outside.
Speaker 5: They had.
Speaker 13: Abundance of limes in blooms, and now the leaves are turning yellow and the limes are falling off.
Speaker 1: Well, that yellowing is not unusual. It's it's probably the oldest leaves that are that are turning yellow. Or is it the new growth at the end of shoots. Well, it's a big leave, so okay, Yeah, that is a transition that they'll do. Sometimes they do it just a little sometimes, aren't things almost lose all their leaves, But they will keep growing. Just make sure that the soil is not too wet, too soggy wet, that they have decent drainage so roots can get oxygen, and I think they're going to be fine. I would throw a little bit of fertilizer on them. You can get you a good quality citrus fertilizer, or you can just use a lawn fertilizer if you in a pinch, there's no problem with that. But give them a little bit just to kind of give them a boost, and I think they're gonna be all right on that. As far as the yellowing leaf drop wells fruit like that, yeah, sixty six from microlife would be fine. Just scratch it. Into the soil surface a little bit so that the microbes can It stays moist and the microbes can get a hold of it and it'll be fine. You could even use the Microlife's orange label Biomatrix. It's a liquid, it's got seven percent nitrogen. It's high in the nitrogen, and give them a boost with that to encourage some growth. You can drench the soil, you can spray the leaves either way, but primarily put it in the soil. That's where it's going to do more good. Now, as far as the line's falling off, when a tree is stressed, it will abort, and when trees are young they do more of that. You know, they have blooms all over them and then little little fruit form and they all drop off. You can get them to stay on there longer. They don't abort them. They don't have the ability to throw them off like they do when they're little. So that's just a stress factor and you know, hopefully as things settle down, they'll set fruit better for you. But in a container, it's easy for them to get stressed from a lack of water temporarily, or I think on this one, it's more that they probably bloomed more than they could set and maybe that change from being kept a little too warm. And then now they grow and then they come out and they get exposed, you know, to the new environment, and that may be part of what's going on with the fruit of boarding.
Speaker 13: Okay, okay, so just all right, make sure they're moist, but not do moist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and give them plenty of sunlight. Thanks Charles, appreciate that call. You take care. You bet good to visit with you. League City Feed is down in guess where, League City. But that doesn't mean it's only for folks in League City. I mean if you are in the region, you know, from Webster, San Leon, Alkamena, Reale, Clear Lake, Dickinson, Santa Fe, Dimensional, Lamark, that whole area down there. This is your hometown. Feed store been around for forty plus years now. League City Feed that old fashioned service. You go in, they carry your bags out for you, and then the supply of what you need for your success in your garden and in your lawn, in your landscape. Products from nitrofoss. I just was talking about a'smite a minute ago. They carry the a's mite down. Of course, they have microlife. They are going to have products from heirloom soils too, whether it's controlling pests, controlling weeds, controlling diseases, They've got you covered at League City feet again. They are in League City on Highway three, just a few blocks south of Highway ninety six. If you're coming across ninety six, you just turn south on Highway three a few blocks. You'll see them there on the left. Two eight, one, three, three two, sixteen twelve. They're open Monday through Saturday nine to six, so you can stop by after work. Closed on Sunday. League City Feed. Let's go to Spring. We're going to talk to Jim. Hey Jim, welcome to garden Line. Good morning, Skip.
Speaker 4: How are you.
Speaker 1: I'm doing well. I'm doing well. How can we help today?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 21: I got one simple and maybe one a little bit more difficult. My irises in my bad just bloom beautifully this year, and I got tons of but now they've all died out. And so my question, Skip, is do I just nip off the bloom at the top or do I take this whole stalk all the way back down to the ground. You know the iris is there's a big heavy stalk and cut them off at the base.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just I would just take them down out and get them out of the way. They're not going to get pretty or that's for sure, so just just take them out and take them out.
Speaker 21: Okay, that's definite enough. My other one skip is in my front yard. I have like nine pretty good sized day lilies. Three of them are three years old and the rest are two years old. But I'm getting I'm not getting blooms like I do with my day lilies in the backyard. They come up and they bloom. They're small buds to start with, and then they bloom for a couple of days, and then they close up and they just don't hope up again, and they kind of fall off to the ground. And I have a fair amount of kind of brownish.
Speaker 1: Rust looking on the leaves. Okay, there is a disease called rust on day lily, and I suspect that is part of what's going on. Day lilies need lots of sun. Not all day lilies bloom equally. Different varieties performed a little differently for you. But the rust is a disease that's very difficult to control. And if you will send me an email, I don't have time to try to read out all what you do on the air. But if you'll send me an email, I'll give you a response to it. Basically, you're going to cut off a lot of the top growth back to the ground, let them come out fresh again, and then do some things in the way of treating for it. But I send me a picture, send me an email if you would send me a picture of what you're seeing, and I'll be happy to give you a better answer because I'm running out of time here.
Speaker 21: Yes, understood, all right, I'll shoot you an email. I appreciate your time and your information. Thank you for your health.
Speaker 1: You bet, you bet, Thank you very much. Plants for All Seasons that is a garden center bent around so it's nineteen seventy three. This family owned operation is where you get expert advice, perfect plants for our area, plants that want to grow here, and whether you need to take them a sample to diagnose, or whether you're just going with a picture and go my neighbor's got one of these? What's that? And where do I get it? Plants for All Seasons dot com. They're located on Highway to forty nine, just north of Luetta two eight, one, three, seven, six, sixteen forty six. You can get your green on there because they are truly lawn and garden experts, plants for all seasons. You need to visit them, need to visit check out the pottery too. We got some pots from there a while back, and we love those things. Yeah. I don't know if you've thought about this, but when you buy a quality pot instead of a cheap pot, well, you know, like a lot of things in life, the cheapest thing is probably not the thing you need to buy. Right, You buy a quality pot and year after year after year after year, you just enjoy it. There'll be a lot of plants to go through that pot, but the pot remains looks good. We try to invest in one really nice pot each year. You know, it's a good idea. All right, it's gonna take a break. We'll be back after the top of the hour. News. All right, welcome back to Guardline. Good to have you here, Glad you're joining us today. Just want to remind you I'm going to be at Southwest Fertilizer today from twelve noon to two pm. So come on out, come on, grab you a bite to eat, and come on out. They're gonna have some refreshments there too. By the way, to hold us over, I will be giving away some Bob's providing a couple of things that Toro battery powered will and a Toro battery powered string trimmer that is worth alone right there coming out for I hope you come out to see me and to see the cool supply of things that they have there at Southwest Fertilizer, because they do really do. Now I'm going to also be given away for everybody that comes to the table a ten dollars skip buck. What is a skip buck? Well, it's a printed piece of paper that you can use to buy something in the store. Ten bucks. That's a nice little off there. So come on out. Where is Southwest Fertilizer. It's on the corner of Businet and Runwick, Southwest Houston. Come on and see me. I need to mention something. If you are emailing me a picture, please attach it rather than embed it. What's the difference. Well, attachment is when you click on that paper clip on a computer and you attach it so you get your message and then you have something that's sent with the message. An attachment embedding is pasting it into the text of the email.
Speaker 10: I can't.
Speaker 1: I have to open up in a photo browser if it's embedded, and then try to zoom in and I just you know, I can't walk into your gum at the same time, So just attach it and that would be helpful. Secondly, if you send an email and there's no name, you know, maybe it's coming from like my picks messages dot com. That's one of the ways people send photos and things. But I'm not going to open them because who knows. I mean, this unfortunately is day in time we get all kinds of junk where people are trying to trying to infect your computer, and so I'm sure this is legit, but I'm just not going to be So whoever sent me the pictures just a little bit ago, go ahead and put something in there that tells me who you are and what this is about, and I'll be able to open them. All Right, sounds fair. Let's go Southwest Houston. We're going to talk to Carolyn. Hello, Carolyn, my.
Speaker 11: Friend has a muldberry. My friend has a mulberry bush that's dropped berries on her driveway. What's the best thing to use to sweight up the stain.
Speaker 1: That is a good question. To clean up a stain, I don't know there I would, you know, if I were doing it, And the first answer is the correct one, and that is I don't know. I would probably use something like maybe a TSP, which is something you use to put in a hoseen sprayer and spray on the side of your house to get mold and junk and stuff like that off. See if that works a little bit, the stain will in time get less and less. You might, you know, I don't know if there's a way to use bleach in a small amount, because you know, bleach urt plants. But if you had a little spray bottle, maybe that would work. But then you'd probably have white spots on the drive. You stump the chump on.
Speaker 10: That one, Carolyn, Okay, My other question is about collars.
Speaker 11: She also had a kind of collared plant that she didn't know she had. She's kind of a nonchalant gardener.
Speaker 10: But it had gotten.
Speaker 11: Had gotten huge, so she cut everything down and gave it to me to cook. They were really hard and tough. Is that because they probably went through the summer and the winter together and just grew to the others too old?
Speaker 1: Yeah, those are older leaves. You know, leaves when they grow fast, they can be bigger and still be decent tenderness. But as they age, you can't just go by size of the leaf. But it's the age of the leaf that they get kind of tough. Yeah, that's it. You can take the I was I was just gonna kind of kid you. I was gonna say, take the the mid veins out and put them in your smoothies. Grind them up and you get that you get all the nutrients out of them. Anyway, I do that with kale.
Speaker 11: By the way, speaking speaking of nutrients, all the leafy greens have oxalic acid, So would those old leaves have increased the rate of oxalid acid in each one?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't worry about that. On the the cruciferous, those blue lee vegetables, uh, spinach has higher oxalic acid, and soil the tangy lemony sorrel can have high higher oxalic acid. But I've never heard about worrying about that, whether it's collars or tale or you know, those blue lee vegetables.
Speaker 11: Oh good, I'll keep eating them.
Speaker 1: Then there you go. All right, great, tell me what let us know. Let us know what works on the blueberry the blue bird poop, mulberry stains. I'd like to I'd like to land from that one.
Speaker 10: All right, okay, well do bye bye, all right, bye bye.
Speaker 1: You know, I've been doing this for thirty seven years now, answering gardening questions both the radio and people coming into the extension officer calling, and it amazes me that I get a call. To my knowledge, I've never been asked about the blueberry bird poop on the sidewalk. That's a new one. So there you go. Congratulations. Jungle Land is a quality potting mix that distributed by Nitrovoss that comes in two forms. There is the flour and vegetable jungle Land it's a planting soil and then the jungle Land Water Savor potting soil for your indoor plants. Both work, both hold enough moisture, but also both drain. Well. That's important. That's what you're looking for. You're going to find jungle Land another night Us type products at ospase Ace up in the woodlands on Kirkandal. You're going to find D and D feed and Tomball carries Nitrofoss products, as does M and D on Luetta up there. In Cyprus. Where are we now? We are about to go to a break. So I'll tell you what, Dave and Katie, you're going to be our first up when we come back. If you haven't been to Buchanan's Native Plants in the Heights, you need to go that place. They've got their new They just did the new checkout area. It is a metal structure that is strong. Do you know, Bless their hearts, Ay Buchanan's. Twice in the last twelve months they've lost their checkout area to storms, trees falling, crushing down on the thing and everything. Now they've got a structure that is awesome. So if it's raining, you can check out and you stay dry. If it is blazing hot in summer, you can check out and you're protected from the on. It really works well. They have worked hard to keep that place looking awesome, and they always do, you know, they always do. Now I want to remind you Tuesday, April twenty second is Earth Day and to celebrate Earthday, all of the drought tolerant perennials at Buchanans are thirty to fifty percent off. You can go to their website and check the perennial section to learn about all the things that they carry. Also, on Earth Day, thirty percent off their rain barrels kind of helps a little on the water bill. It certainly conserves some water, but I would say the main reason for a white rain barrew is to get the best water on Earth for your plants. There's nothing better than rainwater. And here's your chance thirty percent off rainbarrows at Buchanans. Go to the website Buchanansplants dot com. Buchanansplants dot com. If you haven't been there before, you need to go. You need to check that out because when you get there, you're going to see a wealth of quality information, a lot of quality information. Do an awesome job providing that. Buchanans Plants dot com. Hey you welcome back. Welcome back to garden line. All right, So we get all this rain and what happens to clay soil? It swells up. Did you know clay shrinks and swells it moves. That's why in the middle of summer, you know, you go it and you have a heavy clay soil, the kind you walking across the clay and you take five steps and each foot feels like you got a bowling ball attached because all the heavy clay sticking to it. Well, you get these cracks in summer that are so huge you could lose a toddler out there in the yard. I mean it's huge. That's the shrink when it gets dry, swell when it gets wet. Fix my slab. Foundation repair is who you need to know about, because here's the thing that happens when that happens. When the shrink swell happens from white to dry, sidewalks crack, driveways crack, by the way, they can refloat and fix your driveway if that's already happened to it. But the slab of your home, most valuable thing you got, the most valuable concrete thing you got on the property that is important to take care of. Now, are the bricks outside showing some crack lines, especially look under the windows. That's where you typically see it on the corners of the windows. Same thing indoors, by the way, on the corners of the windows. On the sheet rock, but anywhere, I mean it could be anywhere in the house. On the sheet rock. When the slab moves, cracks form. Maybe a door is sticking those are all signs of a foundation issue. So here you need somebody that you can trust that's going to tell you the truth, that's going to shoot straight, that's going to show up on time and fix it right and charge a fair price. That's what you're looking for. Ty Strickland fix myslab dot com been doing this for over twenty three years now. He's a local small business. In fact, Ty is a Native Estonian, fifth generation tax and he knows ourselves. He knows these issues and he knows how to fix them. Go to fix myslab dot com or give them a call. Two eight one two five five two eight one two five five four nine four nine. We are going to head out to Paarland and talk to Kay. Hey, Ky, welcome to Guardline High Skip.
Speaker 22: I just have a little information. I've had a couple of stains in my draw on my driveway and I have gotten a couple of products that worked, and I thought i'd pass them on to the lady that's having problems. None of mine were berries, one was oil, and I got a Clorox outdoor bleach destroy stains from dirt, mold, mildew, analgae, and I think it might work on the berries. You can use it in a pump sprayer.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 22: It's used on all sorts of things. Okay, that's why I used it with poor some some of the bleach on and use a wire brush.
Speaker 4: It takes a little elbow grease.
Speaker 22: And I have a young man that does my power and pressure washing on my concrete, and I had him come and give me a hand on this.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 22: The other one was for rust on the driveway that an old car had been there and it left a rust stain. Uh. This is white white Ox rust strain stain remover. And I had him to do this too, and it white Ox rust cain remover.
Speaker 10: So I'm thinking it might work in a very stream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, thank you. I appreciate appreciate.
Speaker 22: You hopefully, because I called every place I could think up to get white off locally around Pearland and I couldn't find it, but I ordered it online.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sure Carolyn will appreciate that. And thank you for calling hell letting us know that I really appreciate that. Thanks.
Speaker 22: Uh.
Speaker 1: I mentioned Medina earlier. The folks at Medina have so many quality products. You know, I talk all the time about has to grow six twelve six plant food. That's the one that when I put a plant in the ground, you put it in a I put mine in a watering can drench it in really good because it's got the nutrients in at six twelve six plus, the Medina soil Activator, humic acid, seaweed extracts and everything, high quality stuff. And you know there's Medina Plus that's another excellent product from the folks at Medina. Right now, I would just suggest you go online and go to medinaagg dot com medinaag dot com, and I want you to look through all the products because I don't have time to mention them all here. But Medina carries a wide variety of things that are very helpful for your lawn and for your landscape. Whatever you're looking to do, you're going to find those quality products. Now, there's one on there that's one of the newest things they have on the market, and it's called has to Grow. Super Grow Plus comes in a little bottle that you hook up to the garden hose. It's a sixteen zero two fertilizer that's a lot of nitrogen and and don't worry, it's not too much. You hook it up to the garden hose and you go over whatever you want to give a boost to. It could be your lawn, it could be your tomato patch. Whatever. You're putting a liquid out there in a quickly available dose. Medina has to grow. Super Grow Plus got a little green ribbon across the label super Grow Plus sixteen oh two. You need to try that out. I tried it out two years ago. Year two ago, I can't remember. Works wonderfully, does an excellent job. It ought to be We ought to talk about that one more. We're going to head out now to Katie and talk to Dave. Hey, Dave, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 23: Hey, thanks Yip, thanks for taking my call. Yes, sir, I probably have a quick and you've had many a time, but I'm not sure. I had two large oak trees in my backyard. One of them started destroying the pool plumbing, so we took it down. We grounded down the roots. The other one is still standing. Okay, we grounded the stump. I mean, all of a sudden on both the ghosts of the of the old tree and the new tree, along with the roots are I'm getting all these oak tree seedlings popping up, and I want to get rid of them without destroying the remaining tree, you know, so.
Speaker 20: Or the grass.
Speaker 15: So do you have any ideas?
Speaker 1: So these are you're saying, they're roots sprouts from a tree you cut down?
Speaker 17: Yeah, along, but what is it?
Speaker 1: What is it that you don't want to destroy because you cut down the tree. So what I don't want you?
Speaker 23: I don't want new trees coming up. There's hundreds of little oak tree you know price several long?
Speaker 1: Was this was this a live oak?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right? So the seedlings, first of all, they could be one of two things. They could be a seedling coming from an acorn. That's possible, root sprout, all right, So so roots sprouts, Uh, you got to kill that the root that is causing those. And so what I would do, Uh, if you go online to my website gardening with Skip dot com Gardening with skip dot com, there's a publication called Controlling Woody Weeds in the Landscape and a product ingredient called tricle Peer, and I give you examples of the brands on the publication. You apply that to the stems of those little oak shoots coming up, and normally we're cutting a Normally we would have done this when the tree was cut off, you would immediately put tricle peer around the stump and it would have it would have prevented this. But now at this stage that stump is old and blood.
Speaker 23: There's a live tree that it's doing it too also on the along that root line, and I don't want to kill that tree.
Speaker 1: Well, you can't put track up here on that there. There's just not a way other than going down and trying to dig them out. I've seen people use the very very heavy, heavy groundcover fabric that garden centers used to set plants on on the ground. They'll put that down and then they'll weigh it down, you know, with a gravelly kind of material on top. But live oaks, there's there's two types of live oak in terms of this issue. One kind along the Gulf coast are typically not suckering live oaks, not very much. The other kind, the seed stocks come from places like Central Texas and there you see oak mots out in pastures and if you go over to Quero or you go up to Central Texas and areas, you'll see some of that. That strain of live oaks is really bad about root suckering. And there's No, you can get a product called sucker stopper and try to use that. I've never tried it on live oak root shoots. Uh, but if you know they're attached to roots of a desirable tree, don't do the tricopear.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 23: Okay, so sucker stopper with proud I don't see. I don't want to kill the grass either, so I've got to be very certain I won't it won't.
Speaker 1: Now, a sucker stopper is a hormone, and I I've never tried it for this, so I'm just saying you might want to give it a shot to see.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 1: Basically, we use it to keep those basal sprouts that come out like it, for example, at the bottom of creat mertle trunk, you know, to stop that from happening.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: But anyway, that's that's about all I got for you on this one, h Dave. Hopefully, hopefully one of those ideas is going to work, okay, and what's sorry?
Speaker 10: So all right?
Speaker 23: The first one with the tr sound is how do you pronounce that.
Speaker 1: Tri clop here tri i clo pyr. But go look at my free publication online. It talks about it and gives your brands and stuff. Yeah, anytime you're trying to deal with poison ivy or hackberry's coming up in a fence line, or any kind of woody weed in the landscape, that publication will tell you what to do. I'm gonna have to run, but I do appreciate your call. Hey, hadn't talked about Affordable Tree Service in a good while, and Affordable Tree Service is back here on garden Line. Now's the time to get on their calendar to get your trees in shape for hurricane season. Even if they're in a hurricane, we can have some really devastating summer storms like we learned about last year twice. Thank you well. Affordable Tree. They'll do trimming, they'll do feeding, they'll do everything you need to do to make your trees survive. And don't follow your house, are your neighbor's house? Are your neighbors Maserati party? We don't even want to go there. Martin Spoon Moore's company, Affordable Tree is a family business. You can call seven six nine nine two six six' three and make your appointment. Now you're probably most likely you're going to talk To martin's, mom a. Teller you heard about us on Garden. Line gardenline customers are their. Priority so here's that number. Again seven one three six nine nine two six six. Three if you want to learn more about the specific services that they, offer you can go To Afftree service dot. Com Aff Tree service dot.
Speaker 21: Com.
Speaker 1: Uh they do, consultations they do they do, pruning they do deep root, feeding they do past disease, control stump, grinding and most, importantly perhaps pre construction. Care if you're about to build something and there's a tree you like, nearby Call Affordable Tree service. First let them help you prepare so you don't end up killing that. Tree seven one three six nine nine two six six. Three time for me to go to a. BREAK i will be back. Shortly Here david in Bel, air you will be our first up and when we come, BACK i just want to remind you That i'm going to be At Southwest fertilizer today from twelve noon to two, pm twelve to Two Southwest Fertilizer Corner bisnutt And. RUNWICK i want you to come. Out you got to see this. Store we're going to be giving away some cool, things including Skip. Bucks if you come by the table worth ten dollars apiece to spend on whatever you're interested in in the, store and trust, me you're going to be interested in a. Lot we'll be right. Back, hey welcome. Back good to have you back with us here On Garden. LINE i thought It Warren Southern gardens a few weeks ago and didn't appearance out. There always love going to that, place you. Know In kingwood you've Got Warren Southern. Gardens there On North park you Got Kingwood Garden, center which is On Stone Hollow. Drive and each nursery is a little. Unique you, know one may be featuring something and then another one featuring something. Different so you just need to go to both of them and see. Them, really both of them are open seven days a. Week makes it really, easy you, know to find whatever you need to because when you're ready to go, there they're pretty much open and ready to. Go, now when you go to Warn Southern garden you're going to find an outstanding selection of everything you can, imagine including the products to take care of the soil and get it. Right but we are about to enter into, summer and if you've been here for one, summer you know it is infernally hot here in The houston area and, humid and we need plants that can survive. That and we have plants that can survive. That they're not the little wimpy things you see On National GARDENING tv from some show In New jersey Or california or someplace. Else there are things that know how to live down, here and runts can help you create a very beautiful heat tolerant landscape by providing the flowers and the shrubs and really the plants to carry you through the different blooming. Seasons there are things that. Bloom of, course, spring it's easy to get. Blooms everything blooms seems like in the. Spring summertimes more, challenging but there are a lot of plants that can do, it and there's a lot of foliage color that can do. It And Warren Southern, gardens kingw Of Garden center both are going to be able to provide you those kind of plants so that you can have. Success simple as. That we're going to head out the phones now and go to Bel air to talk To. David, Hey, david welcome to Garden.
Speaker 16: Line, Hello skip SAY. I first of, All i've got a solution for the woman with a. Mulberry it's chainsaw a change saw.
Speaker 1: Me so does she need to dress like a ninja so she can go at midnight across to her neighbor's yard and do? THIS i think that might wake them.
Speaker 16: Up oh so it's her. NEIGHBORS i didn't catch. That, okay well, yeah, yeah well, yeah.
Speaker 1: You're suggesting horticultural. TERRORISM i just need to let you know. That SO i, haven't BUT i.
Speaker 16: Understand, YEAH i have a couple of. LINE i have a couple of lines of slender silhouette tweak on TREES i planted last. Year these are trees that get only about four feet around with but they get twenty or forty feet. Tall and last year it was the first year in the, ground and of course the end of the season they got attacked by a web worm and are a. Bagworm And i've seen worse than fest stations around the. Town But i'd like to preclude this happening this, year And i'd like to use a systemic something that translocates into the leaves that when they were the offending insect chomps on, it they die rather than but do You i'm we're leary of The amiddo cloprid or any other kind of neo nicotinoid that might harm pollinating. Insect all, right got?
Speaker 1: You all, right here's what you. Do don't worry about the meticloprid on sweet. Gums sweet gums do not have flowers that attract pollinators or bees or that kind of. Thing so if you put that down in the root, system you just drench it, in it goes up in that. Plant, NOW i wouldn't just drench your whole yard in, it first of, all that'd be economically, challenging but just do it for the sweet. Gums, now you, know if you have a tree like a crape myrtle that is going to have blooms that do attract, bees then the ametacloprid would be something you can make a case for being concerned, about for, Sure but with the sweet, gums you don't need to worry about. It the alternative to using the systemic would be to get a spinosid or end or a bee t spray and when you see the first sinus sweet gum of the, webworm start to spray the. Foliage so the webworms have to eat foliage with that sprayed on. Them if they've already got a web you got to break those webs up with either a powerful stream of water or a long, pole which on a slender silhouette means a pretty long pole in order to get the spray to the foliage where the webworms are. Feeding but those are your two. Options is to do a contact insecticide on the, leaf those are the two organic, options or to do the systemic and again a medical opri. One sweet, Gum i'm not concerned.
Speaker 16: About, okay and one one application or repeated applications in a medic opriate.
Speaker 1: One and it's going to take it a while to get up.
Speaker 5: There and.
Speaker 1: Webworms you can have some webworms earlier in the, summer but typically when we're getting into you, know Late, July, August, september that's when they're making their main. Hit SO i would probably look at putting something down maybe Mid, july second or third week In, july getting it so it has time to get up in that tree and be in the foliage when the webworms.
Speaker 16: Arrive, okay so right now they're just butting out a few of them have already fully leaped. Out, yeah do it now or wait Until? July, NO i, MEAN i.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't you, know every year is, different but generally the first population isn't as big of a. Concern you could do it earlier, on BUT i think more often than not it's not. Needed but when we start getting into mid to late summer and early, fall that's when we need to have that product already up in the. Plant, Okay Hey, DAVID i got a. Run i'm up AGAINST uh.
Speaker 10: Bank all, right, yeah you.
Speaker 1: BET i appreciate your call very. Much thank. You Nitrofi Super. Turf the silver bag is the product that they designed for summer. Now it's based on research from SOUTHERN langra universities across The, south the turf, specialists places LIKE TEXA a and M, Lsu Oklahoma, State, auburn and The university Of. Florida all these Folks Mississippi. State the researchers will all tell you that this is the kind of ratio you're looking for for, summer and it's better to feed your plants gradually because in, summer, listen a grass plant fed not that enough is going to be less, green chartruse struggling and. Thin that's how the lawns are when they get no, nitrogen no fertilizer. Boosting when you overdo, it you get top growth at the expense of root growth that's bad for summer heat and, drought and you, mow, mow, mowing trying to keep up with. It when you get a product like nitrophile superturf that gradually, releases you get an even release and everything is. Good you've got a good balance between drop and bottom mowing like you would normally, mow and the lawn looks. Great and you're gonna find super turf and other nitro fross products at places Like plants All seasons On, Luetta Katie hardware out there on Pin oak The Mason, road And katie The ace At Sinko. Ranch you're going to find it at In TOMBALL d AND D. Feed you go down To laport At Fisher's hardware On, broadway you're going to find it there as. Well they all carry nitrofoss products at those. Places if you're interested in visiting with me about a gardening, question you can dial seven to one three two one two kt R h seven one three two one two kt R. H Nature's Way resources is located On interstate thirty. Five like you're heading up To conroe right where fourteen eighty eight comes in from the, left it's coming in From magnolia or where you would turn to go To. Magnolia instead you turn right and cross the railroad. Tracks then you you, know Hit Sherbook circle and that is right Where Nature's way. Is it's easy to get.
Speaker 13: To.
Speaker 1: Now you can call them and have them deliver. Stuff you can go out and pick it up. Yourself you can get it by the, bag you can get it. Bulk however you want to go about, it just do. It whatever you need to make your soul better is going to make your plants better and your gardening more. Successful And Nature's way is the grandfather in the. Industry, Really John ferguson years ago created this and way in a way to create success in londs and. Gardens now is Send Ian ferguson's run in the. Place the whole team out there is, great. Folks they got a two acre plus nursery on site now where you can get all kinds of things from fruit trees to native plants and. More but main things just Go Nature's Way resources Dot. Com that's the website nine nine three six two seven three twelve hundred nine three six two seven three twelve. Hundred you can find their products, too in retailers around The Greater houston, area like their newest ONE JNR a hardware up there in porter they CARRY i believe they carry their fine leaf more, composts a doubble ground, mousse a rose, soil the garden and flower, bed the blueberry, mix and Citrus. Mexi those are just a few of the great products From Nature's. Way let's see. Here, OH i wanted one other. Thing if you haven't been out To Nelson Water garden And, nursery you need to go check this place. Out Nelson Water garden And nursery Is it's just a show stopper. Destination it's Your West houston go to garden. Center that's the WAY i like to look at. It and when you go out, there you're going to find color and, beauty all kinds of. Things by the, way today this evening from six to eight, pm they're having their sipping stroll Today april twenty six. Six now they'll you, know they have some drinks there on hand you can relax and. Enjoy And i'm telling you the sound of water is soh. Therapeutic their water lilies are. There they even have night blooming like types of water. Lilies they've got various kinds of fish for your. Ponds and then, plants plants and. Plants you need to go see the. Nursery their selection of plants is. Outstanding, Well i'm gonna take a little break here and we'll be right. Back when we come. BACK i believe we're going to go To bob in. Spring, First, hey welcome. Back what it's uplar time At welcome back to garden. Line you know if you've downloaded my, schedule you know that on there it's the lawn care schedule At gardening With skip dot. Com it shows you what to fertilize or when to, fertilize and what products THAT i would suggest you. Use and.
Speaker 5: We tend to.
Speaker 1: Divide things into the early spring, greenups you, know which are fast, release and then the THINGS i recommend through the summer that are slow. Released, now you can use a fast release all, year but you just need to break it up and do it in small doses because you don't want to have a whole dump of nitrogen and suddenly being available at one. Time so as we get into the growing, season you know you would have to break it. Up SO i like to go to the slow. Releases the technology in there really really. Works but there's a product that kind of straddles, that and That's Nelson Plant, Food Turf, Star Bruce's, Brew Bruce's. Brew Bruce's brew has an initial fast release of, nutrients but over time it evens out for regulated. Growth so it's not all fast release and it's not all slow. Release it's kind of the different nitrogen sources That nelson's puts in there release in that. Way and so basically number, one it does feed sil more the carbon based nitrogen, sources and it feed so all. Microbes it helps in root development to sustain grasses through the summer. Heat and you, know without any kind of, plant healthy soil leads to healthy, grass it's less vulnerable to pests and. Diseases Bruce's brew is part of the Turf star line and it's widely available here in The houston. Area product quality, product in, FACT i buy the folks that know some plant. Food let's head out To. Spring now we're going to talk To. Bob, Hey, bob welcome the Garden.
Speaker 24: Line, skip good, MORNING i love your. Show my, question thank you excuse. Me funny you should MENTION i have been following you. Schedule i've put this low release down this.
Speaker 1: MONTH i did have a bunch of. Weeds the weed and feed took care of.
Speaker 25: It but right Now i've got a war going on out back Between bermuda grass And Saint, augustine And i'm, wondering you, KNOW i try to pull those little seed antennas as they pop, up But i'm trying to figure is there a way that The Saint augustine could take over To bermuda.
Speaker 1: Or what COULD i? Do not, really not, really not. Really, uh if it were in a lot of, Shade Saint augustine would have the edge And bermuda would. Struggle, okay if it was in a real drowdy, Situation bermuda would have the, edge full, sun a drought and full. Sign but bottom, lines they're going to. Coexist and so you got two. Options one is to kill everything and. Replant that would be one that's, Drastic but you, know how do you do? IT A you live with. IT B you kill everything and. Replant and then, see there are products that professional turf care folks can use that will kill the bermuda of The Saint, augustine but they're very hard to come by and if you were to buy them, individually they're extremely. Expensive, uh and so it just is not a practical thing for non professional folks to. Do, now if you want to know more about, that IF i can give, YOU i can put you on, hold you can send me an, email AND i can send you some information so you can learn more about. It i'm not going to go into great length on it here because in, GENERAL i don't just don't need to tell, people, oh go do this and this and here's what you. Do but if you're interested in that, Approach i'll put you on hold and just send me an. Email, okay that'd be.
Speaker 25: Great the other question is you show something on their CALLED i guess amazonite to apply that once a.
Speaker 1: Year i'm not familiar with. That is there any tips on WHAT i need to do el apply what you do with?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah you go to Azmite texas dot Com Azomite texas dot com and you can learn a lot about the product. There it's mined out of the ground up In. Utah. Okay so the asmite product itself is to provide trace, minerals not the big three that you see on like a fertilizer, bag but the things that are needed is that are, essential but they're needed in very small. Amounts and so with when you use, something, well when you use, asmite basically you're putting about a forty four pound bag on six to twelve thousand square. Feet so it's a very very low rate that you're putting it. Out and if you're it's a vegetable, garden you're about ten pounds per thousand and just put it. Down you put down any time a year because you're not putting it down to make the grass grow fast and turn. Green you're putting it down to create that bank account of those micro nutrients that the turf is going to be withdrawing from every month of the.
Speaker 24: Year, okay, Great and IF i could, Sneak i've got some guardia real. Quick i've got some gardenias and they're pretty. Stagnant they've got a couple of leaves on, them but they're not doing. Anything DO i need to prune them or just wait for them to come into.
Speaker 1: Season i'd give them some, time give them a boost of a nitrogen fertilizer for acid loving. Plants microlife makes a fertilizer kind of a pinkish bag for acid loving, plants AND i would use that on them and get some growth on. THEM i think they'll be all. Right i'm sorry to have To, rhyn But i'm Gonna i'm gonna put you on. Hold if you want that, information all, right my producer will pick. Up Jungle land is a product distributed By nitrophis that is. Designed there's an outdoor version Called flour And Vegetable Planning Salt jungle And flour And, vegetable and then an indoor version Called jungle And Water. Saving the difference is that indoor version has got crystals in it that swell up with, water and even after the soil mix itself dries, out the roots can go up against that crystal and can withdraw water to get it through that stressful. Time so if you forget the, water either way you, go you're gonna find nitro foss products at many places Like Fishers hardware down In Mont, bellevue or The Fisher's hardware And, laporte or the one In baytown for that. Matter if you got To Clute Lake, Hardware clute And Lake hardware And, angleton both of those carry nitrofoss. Products we're gonna go now To andrew In East. Houston Hey, andrew how can we? Help how are you?
Speaker 26: Doing thank you very, much short and. Sweet i've got some brand new milk milk wheat plans in the. Ground i'm done.
Speaker 9: Good.
Speaker 26: Okay the question IS i got some yellow blood BUGS i woke up to yesterday morning and they're still there on the.
Speaker 1: Stem, OKAY i need are those are? Called, yeah if they're yellow and they're, tiny that's called ole under. Aphid and you, KNOW i look at those as a. Positive and here's. Why first of, all they Don't they are sucking, juices sucking juices out of your plant that we don't like. That but those milkweeds they. Do they survive just fine with those aphis on. Them what will happen is everything that eats aphids will come to that, plant wasp that lay, eggs and aphids lace, wings lady beetles and so, on and you will raise the biggest crop of beneficials that will then fly over to the aphids on a rose, bush or the aphids on a, tomato or the aphid's on a crape. Myrtle and you're raising beneficial insects off that milk weed. Plant SO i tend to leave. Them if you don't like, them blast them off with. Water but that that's the bottom line on.
Speaker 26: Those, okay all, Right i'll leave them alone because AGAIN i just want to all, right, thanks you, know thank, you thank you very. Much i'll leave them you.
Speaker 1: You, bet thank you very. MUCH i appreciate. That, hey if you're looking at getting a, generator and after last summer storms that put us out a power for two weeks at a time Twice Quality Home products Of texas they carry The Generac automatic standby. Generator but here's the reason you go To Quality. HOME i, mean, yeah they got great, generator but eight times they've won The Better Business Customer service. Award in twenty, three The Houston chronicle made them best of the best in the home contractor. Division this family owned business knows how to do business and they take you through the whole process and people love. Them i'm talking about fourteen thousand and five star. Reviews over seventy seven thousand homeowners have re seed their customer. Service that's award winning dot com seven to one three. Quality you need to write that DOWN qualitytx Dot. Com go look it out or just call them seven to one three quality there's a process in getting a. Generator, okay you don't call them today in they're putting one out there. Tomorrow they'll talk you to. It they'll hope you find the right. One but even if you're thinking about, it give them a, call find out more about, it and get that process. Going because hurricane season is just around the, corner. Folks after the show, Today i'm going to head over To Southwest fertilizer from twelve to. TWO i will be there answering your, questions giving away some cool products and some skip bocks worth ten dollars apiece for things In Southwest. Fertilizer all, right let's do. This we've got another hour garden line to do here. Today looking forward to doing. That by the, way really enjoy visiting with you your questions that you might Have our phone number seven one three two one TWO ktrh seven one three two one two k t R. H Rcw nurseries is the garden center there Where beltway eight And highway two forty nine also Called Tomball parkway come. Together when you go TO, rcw you're gonna find whatever the season, is quality plants that fit that. Season like right, now they've got Their Cajun hibiscus series in because it's getting hot right, soon and cajun hibiscus, laughs the tropical hibiscus thinks that our summers are a. Joke not to, me but cajun. Hibiscus they are all the tropical. Hibiscus they've got a good selection of. Those they have good roses that do well. Here in, fact rosarians know that's one of the best selections of roses you're gonna find, anywhere is right there AT Rcw. NURSERY i, mean pages and pages of roses on their list when it comes out in late winter for what's coming up in that. Season they grow their own trees and shrubs, too by the, way most of the shrubs and a lot of, them probably almost all the trees at their store or a store at their growing location up there In Plannersville Williamson Tree. Farm and so you're getting a quality grown, tree but you're also getting a species in some cases of variety that wants to grow, here that's gonna do well. Here they'll come out and plan them for. You you can hire them to come out and plant the, things or you can plan them. Yourself it's. Small either, way you go they'll advise you on. It but when you come out OF, rcw you have set the stage for success with what you're growing because you're getting good plants from an, honest straightforward company that's going to shoot straight with you and provide you the kinds of plant material you need and the advice you need TO rcw nurseries dot. Com that's the, WEBSITE rcw nurseries dot. Com we're gonna head out now To spring and talk To. Tom, Hello, Tom welcome to Garden. Line, thanks good.
Speaker 3: MORNING i plan it a cold a cold party avocado tree last year and it's turning it's turning. BLACK i have green sprouts coming up from the base of.
Speaker 15: It it's pretty ugly.
Speaker 3: Looking i'm just wondering SHOULD i cut it down to the base or just dig it?
Speaker 1: Up, well avocado occasionally you'll get one that's own, rooted but usually they're. Grafted and so the question is is that green sprout coming up from the rootstock or from the grafted variety that you, purchased the cold hearty, Variety and you, know could.
Speaker 3: It appears the rootstock.
Speaker 9: From the.
Speaker 1: Rootstock, well in that, case you, know if you want to try your hand at. Grafting you could certainly try. That OTHERWISE i dig it up and get me another. One you'll be way ahead of the game and there won't be any wondering if it's gonna make it and be, sick accessful or.
Speaker 15: Not sounds like a good.
Speaker 1: Decision thank you for your. Health you. Bet, Yeah sorry you're having to do. That take care appreciate. That Sweet green from nitrofoss is a quickly available fertilizer that is really. Based, basically you take a molasses type substrate and you turn bacteria loose on it and they turn it into a carbon chain. Substance you put it in the. Ground bacteria just go nuts over. It they love. It it breaks. Apart it's got eleven percent nitrogen in, it so that is really high for an organic type. Product smells. Wonderfully that's why you. Know the name Sweet green tells you a couple things about. It but it works on the, lawn you put it, out you water. It in, Fact i've used it on other, things you, know vegetables and flower beds and things WHEN i wanted to just give a boost a nitrogen and get them. Going so it's a good choice for the. Summertime widely available here in the Greater houston. Area you can go to a place amplants for all. Seasons In, duada you head over TO m AND. D beamer In, sagemont Perhaps Plantation Ace hardware on three fifty nine in The Richmond rosenberg, area or places that carry nitrophost type products here in our. Area, next let's head out to Sugar land and we're going to talk To. Bill, Hello, Bill welcome to garden. Line, hey good.
Speaker 2: MORNING i have a eight redleaf bush THAT i have no new growth on. IT i had a little bit last, year but not. Much not the full bush with new. Growth and, okay stump to WHAT i can do to improve?
Speaker 1: This, well any chance you might know something about the name of it or what kind it is other than just red.
Speaker 4: LEAVES i just know it's a red leaf.
Speaker 1: Bush i'm. Sorry, Okay, well there's a chance that it's called readily. Fatinia those get much larger than four by eight but in. Time but that's the thing you're saying is it's not growing Redly fetinia is going to benefit from a boost of fertilizer and nitrogen, fertilizers especially to promote growth and so to get whatever you would use to put on your lawn and go up to that bush and give it about a half cup of fertilizer spread all the way around the, bush not just in a, line but sprinkled, around you, know a foot or two out in all, directions and do that about once a month and watered in really good and see if we can get a boost of. Growth the thing about it not, growing it's either lacking nutrients or occasionally lacking, water especially when it's, hot or it's not getting into a sunlight to support good. Growth so if you feel like it's getting a decent amount of, sunlight, yeah go.
Speaker 2: Ahead so the sunlight and, Water i'm pretty much regular on. THAT i did put some miracle growth steaks at the base kind of around, it just just on the, hope so that would would start. Something, Yeah BUT i Mean i'm not can those bushes get too old where they don't grow?
Speaker 1: Anymore not. Really they last a long. Time but if it's only if it's only four by eight, FOOT i, mean if it's a red tip, oftennia it'll get. Huge.
Speaker 2: Uh and so whatever kind of bush it is, Though, yeah with the trimming and, Stuff i've kind of kept it about that. SIZE i cut out some dead branches in it to kind of open it up a little, bit and LIKE i, said well maybe the nitrogen will.
Speaker 1: Help, yeah it definitely. Will and forget about the little for. Spikes now going, forward just get you some lawn fertilizer and do WHAT i was suggesting. THERE i think you're going to see some growth on. It, Hey, BELL i got a run for a break, Here but thank you very, much appreciate your, Call. Carmen when we come, back we will visit with you in just a. Moment by the, way if you're in The tombol, AREA d AND D feed three miles west Of tombul On highway two forty, nine you head out twenty nine to twenty to the. West no excuse, ME i said that, backwards three miles west On highway twenty nine to twenty west of two forty. Nine there there we. Go So Dandy feed is the kind of feed store where you find every product that you need to have. Success And i'm telling you've been in there a number of times looking to go this is hard to find, stuff and they got it. There they got it at Dan De. Feed and that includes things to control. Pests things to no, weeds, things no. Diseases it's a weed. Stores they have livestock. Feed but they got some high end lines of dog food for example Like origin And diamond And victim or In Star. Pro if you're looking for products like you hear me talk about from, nitrofoss From, microlife From Nilsen Turf, Star medina heirloom, soils The neilson plant food. Jars they've got that there AND d AND d. Feed here's the number two eight one three five one seventy one forty, four just west Of tomball three miles twenty nine to twenty two eight one three five one seventy one forty. Four i'll be right. Back welcome, Back welcome back to Guarden. Line thanks for joining us. Today great, day by the, way isn't it really looking forward to getting out and about and doing some. Things by the, Way i'm going to be At Southwest fertilizer from twelve to two pm, Today so after the, show grab you some, lunch come on out and see Me Southwest houston corner This nutt And. Runwick i'll be giving Away bob's provided a giveaways of A toro battery powered blower and A touro battery powered, string trimmor. Cool these are valuable prizes. There i'll also be given away to everybody that comes to the, table comes out and sees come to see, Me, come bring a, question bring samples things we can help you, with bring photos on your. Phone if we can help, You i'll be given to a ten dollars skip. Book everybody shows up at the, table you can spend in the. Store so And i'll be give away some samples Of medina product as. Well so they'll have refreshments on hand as. Usual so come on Out Southwest fertilizer corner Of businet And. Runwick Wild Birds unlimited is the place that you need to, know the place you need to. GO i was not a big bird person BEFORE i walked into a Wild Bird's. Unlimited AND i just got to warn you it's. Addictive it is so. Cool now every TIME i see a, BIRD i get My Little merlin. App it's a free app From Cornell, UNIVERSITY uh and it can take a you can take a picture of the bird and tell me what it is and. Are if it's, SINGING i can just say listen and it'll listen And i'll tell me what the bird. Is it's Like i've become an annoyance to my family BECAUSE i keep showing them this app how cool it. Is, well the folks At Wallbirds unlimited have designed the perfect blend of seeds to provide birds what they need most this season when the birds are. Nesting by the, way it's Called nesting Super. Blend it's available only At Wallbirds, unlimited And nesting Super blend's got all the good stuff that makes a bird's mouth. Water i've never seen a bird, drool but, Anyway nesting Super blend's got sunflower, chips, peanuts dried meal, worms, bark butter, bits safflower tree. Nuts it gets that extra, protein gets a calcium they need for eggshell. Formation is there laying eggs for skeletal development of the birds as. Well you can purchase excuse, me The nesting Super blend loose and just bags the, seed or you can buy it in the little compacted cylinders that the birds have to peck the seeds out, of so you can use it all kinds of feeders you want to look For nesting Super blend any of the Six Wildbirds unlimited stores here in The Greater houston. Area that Includes kingwood And Clear, Lake pearland And, cyprus and then here In houston On Memorial drive and also on in Bel, Air. Oh and while you're, there pick up A wildbird's unlimited Hygh perch hummingbird. Feeder it's my favorite nectar feeder for. Hummingbirds let's go To cleveland and we're going to talk To. Carmen, now, Hey, carmen welcome to garden. Line do we have A? Carmen, okay you're, breathing are you, There? Carmen, okay, YES.
Speaker 11: I want to make a flower bed and the soil is real, sandy SO i thank. You how much of that sand to take out and want to put back?
Speaker 10: In?
Speaker 1: Okay, uh you don't take any. Out you just get you some high quality. Compost if you just drive up the fifth nine there To. Porter There's Porter rock And mulch and they sell heirloom soils products there and you can. Buy if the flower bed is, tiny you can just buy some. Bags but if the flower bed is, larger you probably want to get a bulk amount of. It so you can put about four or five inches or maybe four inches and mix it in as deeply as you can into that, sand and you can use a regular composts or you could use something called a rose and bloomers blend rose and bloomers blend, soil and either one of them will create a wonderful soil out of that sand that you.
Speaker 11: Have would that also be good for hygieneas and?
Speaker 15: Hostage, yes it.
Speaker 1: Would now hostas struggle here in our. Heat there are a few that do, okay but you need to keep. Moist you need to keep them out of direct sun for, Sure but that soil will be fine for hostas and pretty much any kind of plant like. That if you're going to grow something like a gardena that you want to be a little, acidic you might tell them that when you go to buy your soil, mix, SAY i need if you have anything for acidic types of, soil and definitely fertilize them with. Fertilizers for acidic. Plants microlife makes a product in kind of a hot pink color bag or it looks like that to. Me that is for as elias and blueberries and gardenias and those kinds of.
Speaker 11: Plants, okay then thank, you.
Speaker 1: You, bet good luck with, that good luck with. That thanks for the. CALL i appreciate. That let's head out To conro now and talk To. Bill. Hey, Bill, HEY.
Speaker 20: I laid down some news odd AND i about a month, ago AND i used Sweet green AND i had some, leftover AND i thought that would probably be some WHAT i and now Now i'm thinking a month from, NOW i should go to something. Else what do you think of slow And? Easy that's WHERE i was. HEADING i just wanted to confirm that's probably a decent.
Speaker 1: Choice So slow And easy is an excellent product From Nelson Plant, food and slow And easy will give you that. Night it has a very long. Release you're going to at least four months out of. That and so when you do, that now to your, lawn your next fertilization is look on my schedule for the like The october fertilization for. Fall that that's the next time you're going to be fertilizing if you do a slow and.
Speaker 20: Easy, Now, oh that's, great great to. Hear and another really quick, Question, yeah what's what's the difference between mulch and? COMPOST i kind of know the, difference but h, yeah so.
Speaker 22: So.
Speaker 1: So the basic difference is compost is already decomposed and you put it in the soil to improve the soil the plant's root. Zone mulch tends to be, chunkier but doesn't have to, be and you put it on top of the soil to protect the soil from hot and, cold to block out the light from weed, seeds to hold in.
Speaker 20: Moisture, well the compost breakdown ultimately like the mult. Breakdown like compost, ultimately.
Speaker 1: It does look at nature like on a forest, floor leaves fall on the ground and they sit there looking like dry leaves all, year and then more leaves fall and those that got covered up start to stay wet and they start to. Decompose so whenever you, maulch don't get rid of the. Oulmultch always just add fresh mulch on top and the olmalts decomposes, away just like nature does it and the soil gets better from that over. Time but initially mulch is to protect the surface of the.
Speaker 20: Soil, okay very, Good and can you use compost to protect the, Surface and then it's.
Speaker 1: You know the fun you?
Speaker 15: Can?
Speaker 1: Ok, yeah, right you? Can, yeah that's, it all, right good?
Speaker 16: Luck really quick question, peanuts.
Speaker 5: How do you grow?
Speaker 20: PEANUTS i have some for my birds and they're starting to root the left of. Them think they grow some, peanuts peanut.
Speaker 1: Peanuts interestingly, enough peanuts do best in a, sandy loose, soil a very loose. Soil you don't want to over fertilize. It they are a legome like clover and blue bonnets and other. Things they put nitrogen in the soil. Themselves but the peanut plant has to be happy and growing is it spreads. Out it sends a shoot out of the branches of the, plant and it pushes it down in the, soil and the peanut is on the end of that. Shoot so peanuts don't grow on the roots of the. Plant they grow on drop down shoots that get pushed into the soil from. Above isn't that? Weird but so you need a loose. Soil it needs to drain, well and you don't want over fertilize. It you don't Want you want the peanut to get plenty of sunlight and have a well drained, soil and you can grow.
Speaker 16: Them, Here yes you, can, yeah, good all, Right well that's.
Speaker 1: It thanks a, lot all, right you, bet thanks a. LOT a good line of questions. There don't Think i've had a peanut question in a long. Time Moss nursery down In seabrook is an outstanding garden. Center it when you go To moss allow yourself. Sometime first of, all it's eight acres crammed full of gorgeous, PLANTS i mean from trees that flower like red buds and The japanese magnolias and the white spring Blooming chinese fringe. Tree they have all that, stuff and then flowering. Shrubs you, know they have twenty different kinds of. Azaleas they have beautiful, hedranges they have you, know. Roses Moss nursery has it. All if you like hanging, baskets there's hundreds and hundreds of hanging baskets, there and flats all over the place of seasonal, color like we, say From melissa To zenia MEANING a to z and everything in. Between if you are interested in something, unusual maybe an unusual house, plant their houseplant greenhouse is that right there is worth going to see that. Alone and then when it comes to things like maybe a hobby like bones, eye they have both the mature bones eyes and starter, plants maybe fifty to one hundred different kinds of bones, eye from baby plants to fifty year old. Plants so you got to check out that area, too allow yourself. Time Moss nursery and just another garden, center seventy year, old family operated eight acreor source for everything you. Need they're On Toddville road In, Seabrook. Texas Toddville road In, Seabrook. Texas and That's Moss. NURSERY i keep talking About microlife and a couple of times this Morning i've mentioned their plant food for acidic loving. Plants, well you, KNOW i also mentioned earlier The biomatrix orange label for just a. Boost biomatrix is a liquid in an orange labeled quart or gallon. Bottle it's a seven one three fertilizer seven to one three, fertilizer so you mix it in. WATER i use it from a houseplants all the. TIME i love. It it works good for that that. Nitrogen you, know most of our house spuns are basically foliage plants and the nitrogen really. Helps but you can use it on a, rosebush you can use it on a tomato. Plant you can spread on your lawn if you want. TO i, mean it's a good product that just. Works always keep a court on hand Because i'm always going to need it for. Something and if you just do, this go To Microlife fertilizer dot Com Microlife fertilizer dot. Com you'll see all the places that Carry, microlife which is basically everywhere you, know feed, stores garden, centers, ace hardware, stores you, know softwarest, fertilizer and you will see all the products that they have THAT i don't even begin to have time to mention them all here on the. Air i'm gonna take a little break now and i'll be. Back doris In, Netherland. Neederland you'll be first, up and Then fred In. Houston all, right welcome back To Garden. Line good to have you with. Us we're here to help you have success in your. Garden and if you'd like to give me a, call here's a number seven one three two one two kt R h seven one three two one two k t R. H and from the lady who fussed at me one time BECAUSE i wouldn't give the actual numbers seven one three two two five eight seven four fifty eight seventy. Four there you. Go all, right everybody's, Happy well, maybe, uh just. Kidding i'm going to head out To, Netherland. NEDERLAND i don't know WHY i keep Saying nettherland this. Morning i've lived. HERE i know the name of that. Town we're going to talk To. Dora Say, doris welcome to Garden.
Speaker 16: Line thank.
Speaker 1: YOU i need y'all to. SPELL i need to respell the name and put two e's in the in the beginning. There AND i think that WAY i wouldn't look at the word and say. It.
Speaker 4: OKAY i had a question about.
Speaker 1: Gardenias there you, go all?
Speaker 20: Right are you?
Speaker 4: There, yes?
Speaker 1: Ma'am, okay, yes can you hear?
Speaker 4: Me six Guardenias And i've had them in the ground for at least two, years and they've never, blamed and they have off and on will have yellow. Leaves.
Speaker 1: Okay how much light are they? Getting are they parts? On, okay they get a. Lot don't have any.
Speaker 4: Shade they have some shade in the early morning and then late, evening but all day long they had.
Speaker 1: Fun well that guardiania ought to be. Happy if THE i saw you were having some yellowing leaves too on?
Speaker 5: Them is that?
Speaker 1: Correct? Yes is the yellowing on the older leaves further down on the chute where the end of the shoot looks, good or is it on the new leaves at the end of the shoot.
Speaker 4: Some of them or, Mope i've got one that has it's going pretty. Much it looks like it sticks them to diet's going all the way down that it's mostly you, know at the top the.
Speaker 1: Distance, okay, OKAY i, see, well guardenias or acid loving, plants and as the pH gets, higher they don't do. Well and so h that shows up as new growth. Yellowing the new growth comes out yellow and with green. Veins. Maybe uh and that's an that's an iron. Deficiency but it's caused by high pH and high. Hyphosphorus so anything you do to lower the pH sometimes you have to do. Something drainage is also a problem on guardinas when when the soil stays wet for too long of a. Time in that, case you almost have to kind of, like, okay well getting that pH down by continuing to put acid loving, PLANTS i mean acid loving fertilizers around the. Plants. Uh So microlife has the WINE i was telling, Well microlife has one that is for acid loving. Plants it's a. Granular you can also add some sulfur around the plant in very small, doses sprinkle it. Around if you take a spading fork and go around the plant and just push it straight in and wiggle it and then pull it straight up out of the hole you've created, holes and then put a good, compost an acidic compost top dressing over it and it'll fall into those. Holes and as you do that a couple times a year even you'll start to get that soil in a better condition for these. Plants and then the combination that.
Speaker 4: Block that going down with good and.
Speaker 16: Good but they're still not.
Speaker 1: Blooming, Okay, well if it's getting on and the plant is, healthy it ought to be, Blooming SO i think something's going on with the. Health and the yellowing leaves are usually a sign of. Stress, now guardenias are, evergreens but that doesn't mean leaf individual leaf lefs. Forever so it's not unusual for the older leaves to turn yellow and fall off at certain times of the, year and so that could be a stress related or just part of the. Transition oak live oaks do, that and so it's not that in and of itself isn't necessarily a. Problem BUT i would keep working on that soil AND i would get the soil. Down if you can go to a garden center and buy something called keylated. Iron keylated is spelled c h.
Speaker 4: L a.
Speaker 1: Ted put keylated iron around. Them also so oxygen in the, soil compost over the, top acid loving fertilizer and all that following down in the, hole and then kelated. Iron that's everything in your power THAT i can think of right. Now if they're getting good, drainage.
Speaker 4: OKAY i think can put the abs and sauce around.
Speaker 1: It and you, know, well don't don't do. That don't do that. Anymore that's not. Needed, HEY i got to run to another call to thank, You. Doris, yeah appreciate, it thank. You take care all. Right three sixty tree. Stabilizer it does whatever your tree. NEEDS i, mean you know it. Basic well me let me put it this. Way it does whatever your new planeted tree needs to successfully. Establish, Okay so trees. Movement it is important that a new planeted tree can move a little. Bit that's part of developing a strong growth and root system at the. Top when a new tree is put in the, ground you don't want it to be perfectly, still but you don't have to move too. Far and three sixty tree stabilizer allows that. Movement it has a soft, strap you're knocking to damage the trunk like you will with wires and, things trying to hold the tree. Still and whatever size of the tree, is that's a younger, tree it's going to adjust to fit. That the arm goes, longer, shorter the straps go wider or, smaller and it just. Works you're going to find these at plants for all. Seasons you're going to find them at sea in them, Malts you're going to find them At Buchanan's Native. Plants you're going to find them AT rcw down In Jorges Hidden gardens and At arburgate, too all places that carry the three sixty tree. Stabilizer if you're going to put a new plant, in AND i say a, TREE i even mean like multi stem crape, myrtles you need to get one of. These i've got two of them right now that are in new citrus trees and my, landscape And i'm about to put another one out on a tree THAT i pruned a lot and it's got a, long lanky trunk now and needs some stabilization that allows some. Movement three sixty tree. Stabilizer let's see. Here we are going to go To andrew And Conro, Now Hello, Andrew welcome to garden line.
Speaker 17: MORE i had a couple of questions about trim and a peach. Tree, NORMALLY i know you don't do it tellor dormant and. Stuff but this YEAR i didn't really get a lot of, peaches SO i was kind of wondering IF i could do a heavy prune BECAUSE i was trying to get some of these scaffold branches back down low to like a more manageable.
Speaker 1: Height, yes you can do some pruning now if you need. To do you have fruit on it? Currently or did?
Speaker 17: It maybe a handful of peaches per, tree so not a lot this. YEAR i didn't say a lot of.
Speaker 15: Bees so.
Speaker 1: The secret to fruit on peaches is sunlight down in the, tree and we usually prune them to an open bowl, shape an open chalice, shape so cutting out any water. Sprout so that's that kind of blondish colored wood that shoots straight up to the sky and grows. Fast take those out where they. Attach you want small things that ARE i don't, know maybe not even a quarter inch in, diameter that grows slower and get that reddish burgundy color to. Them that's fruiting types of wood and you're gonna have to do it over and over again through the summer to keep light into the interior of the. Tree but, yes you can do some pruning in small amounts now and then in the, future try to get most of it done in the.
Speaker 17: Winter, Right so probably don't try to take a third of a scaffold branch off to bring it back. Down that's probably a little too.
Speaker 1: Much oh, boy you could do. It if you won't do, that do, it but remember all the new growths can be out at the end, anyway so you kind of don't accomplish a whole. Lot you can lean some branches out a little, bit open it up when you get sunlight down in the. Interior you're going to develop growth down there in. Time but as long as the branches are growing straight, up the lower areas are just not going to develop good. Growth all.
Speaker 17: Right, Yeah i'm just trying to do it before it. DOES i don't have fruit this, year but it wouldn't be a big, deal so, OKAY i appreciate.
Speaker 1: It, yeah all, right good luck with, that and thanks for the. Call appreciate that very. Much by the, Way, andrew if you're still listening to the, radio you can go To Aggie horticulture Website Aggie, horticulture click on the fruit and nuts section and click on the free peach publication and it tells you how to. Prune that's something you probably want to pay attention to as. WELL i got to take a little. Break when we come, Back jim And crosby And fred And Northeast, houston you'll probably be our last two callers for the. Day all, right well you're back And i'm. Back we are here on Garden line to answer your gardening. QUESTIONS i just want to thank the folks that have called today and send in photos As i've been a real good, day lots of, good good. Questions we have part of this segment left still today and we're going to get through. That BUT i want to remind You i'm going to be At Southwest. Fertilizer so if you got questions and you'd really like to spend more time on, it more THAN i can spend on the, air come on out To Southwest fertilizer corner Of bis And nut And runwick between twelve and. Two i'll be given away the ten dollars in purchasing power Skip bucks right there and we'll be given away some other cool stuff as well. Well first of, all Jungle, LAND i want to talk about Jungle land one more. Time Jungle land for the outdoor. Plants it's called Jungle Land flour And Vegetable Planting, Soil flour And Vegetable Planting. Salt now you can grow herbs in, it but it's primarily designed for those containers on your. Patio and if you have not gardening, containers you need. To AS i said, EARLIER i add a container each year to my. Landscape AND i love gardening and. Containers maybe you don't want to go plow up the back forty for a vegetable. Garden you can grow tomatoes and peppers and eggplants and all kinds of things in. Containers containers are. Versatile grab you some Jungle Land flour And vegetable planting. Soil it's a nitrofoss distributed, product so you're going to find it at places that carry nitrofoss. Products you, know plants for all. Seasons In, luetta for, example they carry a lot of nightfost products, There Langham Creek Ase Hoord run five twenty nine And cypress carries night frost type. Product h And Katie hardware On pinoak carries Night fiss type. Products let's head to Uh jim And. Crosby Hey, jim welcome to Garden. Line Hey, schip how are you?
Speaker 13: Good?
Speaker 1: Good how CAN i? HELP i?
Speaker 5: NEED i think you need to turn the radio. Down i've got a problem in my in my. YARD i need to top dress. It and you had said there's a product THAT i could you can get that you just spread over the whole yard that's completely.
Speaker 1: Organic, yes, yeah there's a We we generally recommend a leaf what's called leaf mold. Compost it's been finely screened and so uh if if you're gonna do aeration or with the top dressing or just the top, dressing it's a good way to. Go uh and uh it finally screened, product high quality. Product now sometimes you can also get a product called fungal based compost That Nature's way. Sells but you're you're kind of over closer to The kingwood. AREA i think the closest place for you would be to head up To porter or call up To porter And Warren's rock And mault and have them deliver you a bulk load of. It because it's gonna take a few yards to do. That you can also hire a. Company are you inclined to do it do it yourself or to hire a company to come in and spread?
Speaker 5: It, WELL i. DON'T i don't really know right. Now i've gotta, Okay i've got a lot of. Issues and, yeah what WHAT i heard was that this was something that you can spread over your whole. Yard but it's got my crobes and.
Speaker 1: Yes yeah that's. All, yeah that's a leaf more COMPOST i WOULD i would call up to heirloom Soils, Porters rock and mult is the location of it up there where the heirloom soils and things are, made and they can do a delivery after your. Area you can hire some people to spread it around a little. BIT i usually put mine in a wheelbarrow and and dump a little bit, here a little bit, there and Then i'll turn a garden rake upside, down those soil rakes and and it's like you're playing shuffle. Board you, know the the teeth of the rake are sticking up so they don't get hung up in the, turf and you're it's like you're using that rake playing shuffle. Board and it's a fast easy way to spread it around or you can take a shovel and sling. It either, way but it's not hard to. Do AND i think that, YOU i think you find good results with. That it does cover the. Soil it helps a little bit on blocking out sunlight from the weed, seeds but it. Works and that's in that's in. Quarter, Yes Warren Rocket Molt. Importer so let me give. You let me give you a phone number, Here, okay give me one second AND i will pull this up to do there we. Go, okay the number For Warren Rocket Melt importer. Is where's their? Number? Here we go uh to eight one three five four nineteen fifty And i'm Just i'm just remembering. Now they actually also have a humble, location which is is closer to, you And i'm going to give you that. Number you ready for, It, yes, sir two eight, one eight five two seventy four. Hundred so for folks that are listening out, there you know A, Tascasita, huffman Summerwood Fall, Creek eagle springs all through that area down, there Even beltway Eight north in The houston area. Northeast, uh The humble location probably be a better or reach for. It but just call them and they'll get you set. Up all, Right, fred thanks for the. CALL i appreciate and you can you mail that? Up, no you want to spread it then about a third of an inch, Deep so about a third of an inch. Deep if you go to The Heirloom soil's, website there's a calculator and you've you, know if you've got x thousand square feet you're going to cover and you want to make it a third of an inch deep or a half inch, deep it'll calculate how much you. Need i'm SURE i got to run here to another, call but good good luck with. THAT i think you're on the right. TRACK Ace hardware stores are all over the Greater houston, area and you're going to find AN ace near. You that's the bottom. Line you can go To Acehardware texas dot. Com Acehardware texas dot. Com they're everything you would expect from hardware st of, course but everything you need for your lawn in your, garden from fertilizers to pest, control weed, control disease, control oh. Gosh they ever have cool barbecue pits for that patio and a string of lights to create that ambiance and on and on and on down the. LINE ace is a place for your outdoor living in the outdoor beauty of your. PROPERTY Ace Hardware texas dot. Com that's what you need to know. About let's head To fred In Northeast. Houston Hey, fred welcome to garden.
Speaker 16: Line how you DOING i do? It i'm trying to pit up spots in my yaw with them sent on the same.
Speaker 20: Grant and what's the best way to put that sawt.
Speaker 1: What you want to? DO i generally will, uh first clear off all the debris on the, surface whether it's old sad or weeds or. Whatever get it out of that. Area. Uh and then if the area needs, yelt needs. Filling maybe you got some, holes you go, on twist your ink or trip fill those with soil first so it's all nice and, level and then wet the soil pretty. Good. Uh and about a day or two after you wet, it then go ahead and do your put your sod. Down it could be a day after you wet.
Speaker 9: It.
Speaker 1: Uh and you want to press that sod down so it touches the soil. Below that sod comes in with black clay soil on, it and you want it to touch the soil. Below and then here's the key for, it the number one key on. Success water it twice a day with a little bit of. Water for the first, week twice a, day just a little, bit because that's when grass, dies is that first few days and the. Sun the second, week water once a, day and by the time you get through two weeks you can start backing off of that real frequent. Watering don't worry about fertilizing for a. Month just water is the. Key and if the grass ever drives, it the grass comes in with a little half inch long root and you know it can't survive on. That you got to get those roots in the ground and that's where keeping it wet. Health thank you for the. Call appreciate THAT i hear the music SAYING i gotta, go, Folks i'm heading To southwest. Fertilizer come on out and see. Me Corner abyssinut And, runwick twelve noon to two. Pm