Speaker 1: Welcome to the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Graham. If you have a comment, email it to me Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com slash Radio Detectives. Well, before we do get started, I do want to let you know the programs brought to you by the financial support of our listeners. You can support the show through electronic contribution monthly at Patreon dot Great Detectives dot net, and you can give a one time contribution at support dot Great Detectives dot net, where you can also find our mailing address to mail in a donation. Also over at Great Detectives dot net. This weekend, check out my review of the Last Detective Series one and you can get all of my reviews automatically delivered to your kindle and you can try that service out free for two weeks. But now it's time for today's episode of Dragnet. The original air date July the twenty seventh, nineteen fifty The title The Big Gent Part two.
Speaker 2: The story you're about to hear is true only the names have been changed to protect the innocent.
Speaker 3: Dragnet.
Speaker 2: You're a detective sergeant. You're assigned to Robbery Detail. Three persons are shot down in a twelve thousand dollars hold up. One of the bandits is apprehended, convicted, and sent to prison for life. The other one is still at large.
Speaker 4: Your job, get.
Speaker 5: Him Dragnet the documented drama of an actual crime. For the next thirty minutes, in cooperation with the Los Angeles Police Department, you will travel step by step on the side of the law through an actual case from official police files.
Speaker 3: From beginning to end, from crime to punishment. Dragnet is the story of your police force in action.
Speaker 6: Whose Tuesday, June sixth, it was cloudy in Los Angeles. We're working a day watch out of Robbery Detail. My partner's Ben Romero. The boss is Captain ed Walker. My name is Friday. I was on the way back from Communications. It was eleven thirty five am when I got to Room twenty seven to eight Robbery Divisions. Oh all right, Oh hi Dave. Message in the book for you.
Speaker 7: They men a couple of minutes ago.
Speaker 6: Oh thank you, woman's boy.
Speaker 7: How did you call?
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank you Dave.
Speaker 8: I'll get it now, George State Juvenile Room at.
Speaker 6: Bentley Policewoman River there, please.
Speaker 9: Since a minute, River, hold on, please miss River.
Speaker 6: Dorothy Joe Friday.
Speaker 9: Oh yes, Joe, you got the message.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're worrying about your purse.
Speaker 9: I can't find it anywhere. Did I leave it in your car last night?
Speaker 6: Found it this morning. I can leave it at the desk here if you like, you can pick it up some time today. Thanks a lot, Sure, Dorothy, I.
Speaker 9: Had a wonderful time last night, Joe. I certainly enjoyed it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, pretty good movie, huh they Dorothy?
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 6: Mother and I were talking this morning at breakfast, like him over the house sometime for dinner. Mind'd like to meet you.
Speaker 9: Oh sure, that'd be fine. I'd like to meet your mother.
Speaker 6: How about a weekness coming Monday? That's my day off? Is that okay?
Speaker 9: All right? Weekness Monday?
Speaker 6: The weather's good. Well, maybe we can have a barbecue out in the back.
Speaker 9: It sounds wonderful.
Speaker 6: Okay, see you later then, bye, Joe. Hi, how to work out?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 11: It didn't another force alarm?
Speaker 6: Sure there's a scorch. You're up today?
Speaker 11: Four months working that one solid lead where are we going? I haven't got the answer. I've run down so many bum tips. I don't think I know the real thing would hit me in the face.
Speaker 7: Joe Wire and.
Speaker 12: Mark Gear from San Diego just got here.
Speaker 13: You want to come in, Yeah, right away?
Speaker 6: All right, sit on.
Speaker 7: Hope you two have more than we have.
Speaker 11: Sell on that report on the skipper's desk, four month's leg work, gold, nothing at all, lots.
Speaker 6: Of phony tips, bum leads. We've got three steak outs going. His mug shots plastered all over town.
Speaker 7: No go, huh.
Speaker 6: I don't know. I think he's got the perfect face for a killer. You can hang his description on a million guys. Got nothing on him at all, been here, just ran down the last lead we own.
Speaker 11: Yeah, force nothing on the app and got the dust on it cold enough to bury.
Speaker 12: How long has it been since it happened back in January?
Speaker 8: With me?
Speaker 7: Yeah, twenty seven Stanley Finance Company, San Diego.
Speaker 6: It's all right there.
Speaker 12: And the report in Yeah, I see ald up shooting. Got twelve thousand suspects of Frank Cheney Church Weber Cheney did the shooting.
Speaker 7: That's what stops me. What's that took us?
Speaker 14: A couple of weeks to grab turk. Weburn put him away here. It's more than four once and Cheney's still on the loose.
Speaker 6: Doesn't that he can't be that smart? Well, he's free. I can't think of a better testimonial.
Speaker 12: What about the other angles Friday? Besides those three steakhouts.
Speaker 6: We covered the town for Cheney. He had four months of his hotels, rooming houses, motor courts, bars, restaurants, the works. Must have a couple of thousand copies of his mug shots. Bet around, no response. I get four or five calls a day on him. Been going on for weeks now we check him out, never the right man. What about his wife? She's still supposed to be with Cheney.
Speaker 7: Isn't she funny thing? We haven't had one report on her.
Speaker 6: Last time all two of 'em are supposed to have been seen together was five weeks ago. That was up and stopped him.
Speaker 12: Cheney's mother in law lives in Marysville, still had a steak out in her house.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no leads there either.
Speaker 7: How about it?
Speaker 6: Mark?
Speaker 14: Nothing to offer? How about the SAME's up here? There is something we'd like to check on, though. Yeah, one of McGuire's informance was parole two weeks ago.
Speaker 7: He served time with Cheney and Fulsom.
Speaker 6: You have any things to say?
Speaker 7: Yeah, his idea. Frank Cheney was the most hated man at Folsom.
Speaker 6: Most of the kinds had given their right arm to cool him off. M What made him so popular? Pretty much of it.
Speaker 13: Ran at the Warden's office three times a week regular and informed in the other cans every chance he got.
Speaker 12: You figure some of them might want to even the score, do you if they know anything?
Speaker 7: I'm pretty sure they'll.
Speaker 6: Talk with the try and their leads can't mean any colding what we got anyway? Are you gonna need any help more?
Speaker 7: No? Mcguarre and I can handle a questioning. We'll go up to Folsom tomorrow.
Speaker 12: Okay, I don't think there's any argument. This thing needs a quick answer, Joe, you and Ben will have to push a lot harder and a lot faster. Jane's robbing killed before give him the chance he'll do it again.
Speaker 6: We've run down all the possible ankles they had. We check every lead wee con take up. There's one you miss, yeah, the right one. Find it. From the day Frank Cheney had been identified as the killer, and the San Diego hold up murder four months before all of us realized the danger of another killing. As long as he was loose after eighteen years in prison, Cheney had a gun and he had his freedom again. We knew he wouldn't give him up easily. Thursday June eighth, Lieutenant Mark Gear and Sergeant Tony Maguire returned from Folsom Prison after talking with most of the convicts who knew Cheney well during his prison days. They had a list of more than forty leads to run down Ben and I took half of him. We started checking. It went kind of slow and the results were thin. After running down the first dozen leads, we'd found out nothing about the suspect that we didn't already know. Monday, June twelfth, we checked with a John streezact supposedly one of Cheney's close friends up at Fulls. He'd been paroled before Chaney and he was now working at a large commercial engraving firm down on East Maine.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I know Cheney pretty well, Sag pretty well, Ustimnutally you know. Yeah, I does it, And I know why you're here.
Speaker 6: Sergeant. I can't help you.
Speaker 11: You were pretty close to Chaney up at full from Worchestrees act best friend, and everybody was his best friend.
Speaker 6: Everybody could do him some good. And you haven't seen or heard from him since he got out.
Speaker 13: No, but I don't want to. I learned fast. What do you mean he's a bump sergeant? Some people born that way tried to talk me to a break once I didn't buy. I knew we'd gone right to the warden with it. Some people have borne that way bombs.
Speaker 11: You think somebody might be hiding him up, somebody's pals? How about them? He's got any pals?
Speaker 6: I don't know. I could tell you this. They didn't come out of fulsom Did you think of anything at all that might give us some kind of a lead on Genie? I wish I could believe me. I better get back on the job.
Speaker 7: Shot form me.
Speaker 6: He's no better than Cheney. Bum alright, stree Zach, thanks a lot. Like know. If you're hear anything, I'm gonna leave you one of our cards here. Yeah, okay, so here's frasacht. What'd you go up for in here? Just what I'm doing? Huh great? We kept at it, checking out the leads. One by one the same slow, dull routine that we've been on for four months. It ate up valuable time, but it was necessary. You never know what a lead's worth until you check it out. During the past months, from the least promising sources, we'd uncovered a half a dozen bits of information about the suspect. None of them concludes, but they helped point the way. We found out Cheney's favorite sport was sailing. Yacht clubs up and down the coast were contacted and asked to watch for him. We learned where Cheney got his eyeglasses contact lenses. We went to the optician, got the prescription for them, and had copies of it distributed to all optical firms in the area. They got a request for lenses which matched those in Cheney's eyeglasses or contact lenses. They were to notify us From a former colleague friend. We found out that the suspect was once treated for tuberculosis and because of this, he drank only goat's milk. All the retailers in the area who sold goats milk were contacted and alerted. We set up a system to check regularly all the mail received by relatives of both Chaney and his wife Thursday, June fifteenth.
Speaker 12: Hi, Ha, Diego called while you were out.
Speaker 6: What year did they come up with anything? Fair?
Speaker 12: One lead told him Cheney learned the printing trade while he was up at folsom knew the business well enough to work at it.
Speaker 6: San Diego checking that out, he alerted the Printer's Union. We'll do the same up here.
Speaker 12: Picture and story on Chaney'll be in the Union newspaper next week.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and we dug up another bit on Cheney. We got it this morning. It's sat instead of ordinary. Ey had last this.
Speaker 11: Chaney has been known to work contact lenses, you know, blast fits right over your eye.
Speaker 6: Good chance he might be wearing them now. Kind of helped change his appearance.
Speaker 11: And we got the prescription for the lenses firm. Chane's eye doctor got the information to all the optical.
Speaker 6: Firms in town.
Speaker 7: Right, man out here to see you.
Speaker 6: Okay, thank you, Dave.
Speaker 12: All right, that's all better. Contact San Diego and keep them posting.
Speaker 7: Gentlemen here too.
Speaker 16: Yes, all right, chargent you remember me, Vince Pertoli, you're in my place.
Speaker 6: Last month the White House girl placed down on Alimeda. Yeah, that's right. Block the Union station. Both of you came in.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you had coffee and an omelet.
Speaker 6: You like, sure? Yeah, what can we do for you? Bertally?
Speaker 16: Remember you were talking to me, You said you were looking for somebody. You left some pictures in this car to yours here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 16: Well I lost the pictures. I don't know why I lost him, but I kept your card. That's why I came to see you. What Well, as I say, I lost the pictures, but I still have an idea.
Speaker 8: What they look like.
Speaker 6: Have you seen either one of those people, the man of the woman.
Speaker 7: Well that's why I came to check with you.
Speaker 16: A week ago, one of my steady waitresses quit and I hired this brunette with a.
Speaker 6: Hard luck story.
Speaker 7: Hey carefors take a gun?
Speaker 6: Licorice flavor? No, no, no, I think.
Speaker 16: Well, after a couple of days, I remember that picture you gave me and I thought she looked a little like it.
Speaker 7: That's why I kept her eye on him.
Speaker 6: Did you notice anything out of the ordinary? You bet.
Speaker 16: She never dates anybody, not even me, and I'm the boss. Not ugly either.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 16: She always claims she's got to get home, never gives a reason, says she lives alone?
Speaker 6: Or where does she live? A couple of blocks.
Speaker 16: From my place on North Jersey. I think I checked the place where she does her shop and me tell me she buys enough groceries for three people.
Speaker 6: She still insisted she's living by herself.
Speaker 16: Yeah, that's why I thought i'd better check with you. I lost the pictures, but I hung on your card.
Speaker 6: Would you take a look at this photograph of totally.
Speaker 16: Yeah pursing when you gave me looks just like her Mary Swoan?
Speaker 6: Who Mary Sloan? What your name isn't it? You want to turn that picture over missus Frank Cheney. Thursday, four pm, Ben and I drove down to the White House Grill and had a cup of coffee. We got a good look at the waitress, whom the owner, Vince per Toli, suspected of being Missus Cheney. We left and waited outside in the car until five o'clock when the suspect came out. We followed her at a grocery store and from there to a Rundown apartment building on Graystone Alley, just off Temple. We waited a few minutes and then we followed her in the tab on one of the mailboxes read Mary Sloan, Apartment sixteen. We went up which one Joe number sixteen? Down this way? Come on, I guess we better try the door.
Speaker 8: Who is there?
Speaker 6: Who is police officers? Hop them up?
Speaker 8: What do you want?
Speaker 6: Open the door? Anybody else in here? My brother he's sick sleeping in the next room. You can't be disturbed. Come on, Ben, you can't go in there. Honey, the cock go shoe the window, all right, get back inside here, come on.
Speaker 8: Here, all right?
Speaker 6: Are you all right? Yeah? He broke bread? You were Yeah, you got clipped for nothing, not cheney. We drove the man and the woman, who identified herself as Mary Sloan, back to the office where they are identified as fugitives from Miami, Florida. The man was wanted on charges of first degree burglary. The woman was the accomplice. We turned the case over to Bunko Fugitive Detail. A little after eleven o'clock Friday morning, Ben got a tip to the Cheenie had been seen the night before at a small bar down there. Pullark and that's a Los Angeles suburb. He's supposed to be living in the area. We spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday tracking it down and went nowhere. On Monday, for the first time in three and a half weeks, we had some time off half a day. I picked up a policewoman, Dorothy River, and drove her out to the house for lunch. We had a barbecue out in the backyard. Certainly a wonderful place you have here on Socrietay, beautiful garden.
Speaker 17: Oh thank you. It's a lot of work keeping it up. Roses didn't do well at all this year, acis you.
Speaker 6: Know much more spaits Dorothy? The fires just right now. Oh no, thanks, Joe, I've had plenty.
Speaker 17: Care for another cup of coffee? All right, thank you. I'm glad you could come today, Dorothy. Joseph's been talking so much about you. Oh you sproused me a little when I met too.
Speaker 9: How's that?
Speaker 17: No, Joseph, I don't think you look at all like policewomen. Most of them are rough looking, I think.
Speaker 6: Oh no, I don't think so.
Speaker 9: They look like most women.
Speaker 17: Nothing much out of the ordinary about them. Oh well, times have certainly changed. We didn't have police women when I was a girl.
Speaker 6: Probably could have used them.
Speaker 17: Well, I don't know. I don't think we have so much crime then times were much different. You seem so young for such work, Dorothy, Policewomen.
Speaker 13: I'm twenty five, missus Friday in the department, almost two years as.
Speaker 17: Your young girl. Joseph's thirty one. You know, yes, I know.
Speaker 6: Hey Ma, how about letting me get you?
Speaker 17: Oh no, no match, all right, Joseph. You just sit there, have your coffee. I'm used to this, have to get used to housework when you're married. Wonderful dinner, Joe.
Speaker 9: Your mother is very sweet.
Speaker 6: Yeah, real subtle, isn't she motherly instinct. Somebody has to look after you. That's the phone, Dorothy. I better grab it. I'll be right back. Okay, never mind, moll let me get it. Friday tongue.
Speaker 9: This is Walker.
Speaker 6: Joe, check back in right away. What do you got.
Speaker 12: Spring in West Tampa, the Second National Bank.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Frank Chaney just.
Speaker 8: Held it up.
Speaker 3: You are listening to drag nets.
Speaker 6: Monday, June nineteenth, three pm. I went back to the office, picked up Ben and Captain Walker, and the three of us drove to the scene of the robbery at the corner of Spring and West Temple the Second National Bank. Ricketts and Thaster from robbery details were already there. Questioning the witnesses, we talked to the bank's vice president in charge at the time of the hold up on mister Bronson. He had a weld on the right side of his head and was pretty badly shaken.
Speaker 4: He had his hand in one of his coat pockets and he walked straight over to me. It's the first thing he said, this.
Speaker 6: Is a hold up. You're a positive of The identification is brun.
Speaker 4: I'm certain this picture here it's the man, all right. The others will tell you the same.
Speaker 12: Who is that mister Bronson?
Speaker 4: The tellers eh all got a good look at him, no mistake.
Speaker 6: Well what happened after Cheney approached him. He was very calm, very quiet.
Speaker 4: Huh, he said, do exactly what I tell you, Call for help and I'll kill you. He would calm all the way through it, just like it was an ordinary business with him.
Speaker 6: Did he have you get the money for him?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 4: He ordered me from back to the front counter there and we went from cage to cage. Each time he had me say the same thing to the teller, this is a hold up. Give me all the currency you have, don't call for help.
Speaker 6: How many taillers? Did he have you collect from five?
Speaker 4: Just lying along here? Windows one to five? My knees were shaking so hard I could barely walk. I kept wondering if one of the taillers might try to sound the alarm.
Speaker 6: Answer? What happened? After he got the money?
Speaker 4: He had me walk in front of him down there to the side exit. That's when he hit me. I guess side of my head. You can see here where they by?
Speaker 12: How much money did he get to?
Speaker 4: You know, I'm not quite sure more than four thousand. I can't help but think how lucky I am. That man's a killer. I'm certain of it.
Speaker 6: Are you sure that we can't fix you up with a ride home? No? No, I'll be all right, Thank you.
Speaker 4: My wife's on the way down now.
Speaker 7: Can I answer your pause enough?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 6: Thanks to excuse us for your bronson, Yes, certainly.
Speaker 7: How did I fall to do?
Speaker 6: On the getaway?
Speaker 8: Cops?
Speaker 6: Andy? You?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 6: U two?
Speaker 15: This afternoon he went to a used car lot up and figure out about eight blocks from here, I asked to be shown a late night Ford Yeah salesman took him for a demonstration ride. When he pulled up for an Artario Cheney jabbed a gun at him and told him to get out.
Speaker 6: Salesman got out, Jady drove.
Speaker 12: Off and fifteen minutes later he walked in here and pulled the robbery.
Speaker 7: That's at the bank.
Speaker 15: Tell us tab the same fault as they get away car, broadcasting all points on the car.
Speaker 6: Nothing yet. What time you got from here? M ten minutes before?
Speaker 12: What time the alert to thanks here?
Speaker 6: Two forty five? Everything covered?
Speaker 15: Yeah, Union Station, both airports and bus depos are all alerted.
Speaker 6: Roadblocks set up in.
Speaker 11: The highways since two forty five, just about and changing somewhere in the city.
Speaker 12: Find him.
Speaker 6: Six pm, the search went on. We called into the office and had them notify San Diego of the latest developments in the case. At seven pm, the weather started to cloud up. Still no sign of Cheney or the getaway car. At eight o'clock it started to ring. A few minutes past ten, two door Ford sedan was found abandoned on San Pedro Street near South Park. A license number matched out of Cheney's getaway car, so Dan was impounded and towed to a garage for fingerprinting. Ben called the office in an emergency. Detail from Metropolitan Division was sent out to help in a house to house canvas of the neighborhood where the car had been found. By four point thirty the next morning, we got to nowhere, so we decided to give it up until later in the day. At six thirty am, we had poached eggs and coffee at an all night driving. Seven am it was still raining. We checked back in at the office. I don't know, it seems like every time we have to work late, it's gonna rain. You got in those little white tablets in your locker breakfast gaining inigestion.
Speaker 11: I think I've got a fume that. It reminds me. How did the dinner come off yesterday? Do of them get along the rye?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 6: You know how it is? My are usual? Few things to say. Well, Dorothy handled a pretty good, good sense of humor, A nice living girl sensing.
Speaker 7: It I have for Sarah, do any good?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 14: Not much phone message in the book four you are supposed to call as soon as you get.
Speaker 6: In m and had four to one nine known name.
Speaker 7: No, you're supposed to call the number. That's all?
Speaker 6: Oh okay, Well, how's new house? Though pretty good?
Speaker 7: Takes a lot of money. Got the forums in for the patty. I'm going for the cement this weekend.
Speaker 6: Got the place fenced Offia not yet.
Speaker 7: No, most pickets cost money.
Speaker 6: Fellas are telling me that you're doing all the work yourself.
Speaker 7: Me and the brother in law.
Speaker 14: Yeah, costs a lot of money in new house, so good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was Frank Cheney's grandfather. Yeah, says to come over right away. Seven thirty am it was still raining. Ben and I drove out to the older section of the Wilshire district. To the Cheney mansion represented one part of the suspect's life that we could never figure. As a child and later as a young man. Frank Cheney had had every advantage and comfort that a millionaire father could buy for him, yet for some reason, he'd settled on a career of crying. Seven forty five am, Ben and I were shown into the main hallway of the Cheney home by the butler. He recognized us from the previous visits. He took our hats and coats, and then led us up the staircase to the master bedroom. At the far Into the second floor, we found Cheney's eighty two year old grandfather popped up in a four poster bed, his face was gray and sunken. It was a nurse in a white starched uniform standing by.
Speaker 17: You couldn't go a nurse go on, I'll be outside.
Speaker 6: I didn't need to Chaney.
Speaker 11: Yes, yes, you have some information for us, mister Cheney.
Speaker 10: Of course, that's right.
Speaker 13: Carled sit down, Thank you, sir. That hold up yesterday, the bank robbery. I know all about.
Speaker 18: It as Frank contacted you. It's like the police get right to the point as he contacted you. Yes, e hand me that class of water police. No man, yeah, ah.
Speaker 13: Ugh, thank you, No, don't leave it on the table. Then, when Frank got out of prison last year he came to see me. I offered him one more chance. I told him, if he decided to earn his way up, all the helpe I could give him. He said he would, Yes, Sir, I was a fool like everyone else.
Speaker 6: I believed him. Any idea where Frank is now?
Speaker 13: I gave him everything it was possible to give him. He directed the family, his father's life, my life, everything.
Speaker 6: He touched your ruin. You know where he is, naw say.
Speaker 13: He telephoned me day before yesterday. He was going away Central America.
Speaker 6: Why didn't you notify us he was going away. I thought it'd be better. We've had enough notoriety newspaper stories. How was he going to get to South America's Swedish ship?
Speaker 13: Is going to work his way going from San Pedro, staying in some hotel there you don't know the name.
Speaker 10: Fight and take him away, bury him some place.
Speaker 6: Okay yo, Yeah, thank you very much, mister Cheney sash, Yes.
Speaker 7: Sir, Frank will have a gun, he'll try to use it.
Speaker 10: Yes, sir, kill him.
Speaker 6: Nine am. Ben and I went back to the office and put in a call to the Swedish Vice consult on South Spring Street. They told us that three days before a man answering Chene's description signed on the Swedish Motorship Southern Cross as a member of the engine room crew. We picked up Sergeant Stackster and Davis and drove down to San Pedro. The Southern Cross was still taking on cargo. When we got there. We showed Cheney's mud shot for the first mate.
Speaker 7: God the American Cameron. That's him.
Speaker 10: He signed on this trip.
Speaker 6: Was he aboard the ship? Now?
Speaker 2: Oh, he's hided up there on deck's there?
Speaker 10: I guess event, what.
Speaker 6: If you take us to him.
Speaker 10: Please hold right, ben ben ho the command and eating thing.
Speaker 4: All right, you say the game, they might just be better watch it then?
Speaker 10: Yeah, oh cool through hair.
Speaker 6: Maybe you better stay behind here, sir, we'll take him stand. Might be a little trouble here. Do you wanna stay behind us?
Speaker 10: What right?
Speaker 7: You must stay in the end?
Speaker 3: Gender room stay theyhead then to end her lesson a companion, be right, thank you?
Speaker 6: Oh come on, I'll watch you step in there. Sure, Let men, this one's my spotted it all right, Channy Holt. He's making a brain ho it's going top side hustle, Come on a ladder, look, go give it up.
Speaker 10: He's going for the game, all right, stop him?
Speaker 6: Yeah, through the shoulder, Yeah, bumped his head when he fell. Got to get the cuffs on him. Ourn everybody, this beer too. I she didn't notice when we came a boy. Huh looked top side red flag? Oh yeah, taken on fuel.
Speaker 10: Huh.
Speaker 6: There's some of the cargo right over there. Oh I explosive.
Speaker 2: The story you have just heard was true, only the names were changed to protect the innocent.
Speaker 3: On November, second trial was held in Superior Court, City and County of San Diego, State of California. In a moment the results of that trial. Frank Bertram Cheney was tried and convicted of murder in the first degree. He is now awaiting execution in the lethal gas chamber at the State Penitentiary San Quentin, California. This is NBC's national broadcasting.
Speaker 19: This is Andrew Ryans with OTR Westerns dot com, where we stream live all time Radio Westerns twenty four hours a day, seven days a week with a special twist. You select the tracks that get to be played. We've got a thousand different episodes from shows like Gunsmoke, Tales of the Texas Rangers, Escape, Geneautry, and many more. Come check us at Otrwesterns dot com slash live again. That's OTR Westerns dot com slash Live. You're listening to the great Detectives of Old Time Radio with Adam Graham and now let's get back.
Speaker 3: Into the show.
Speaker 1: Welcome back.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 1: I liked the little touch of realism where they went in and they had a fugitive, but it was the wrong person. I also thought that the way they tried to subtenly answer the question of how someone like that could turn out to be a criminal. With that background shown through. The grandfather really was a lot more upset about the difficulty that this was bringing to the family, more than he was his grandson, and certainly more than he was the victims, and that sort of callous disregard had a definite effect. Also on the ship see a very good job on the Swedish accents. I did wonder about the explosives explanation whether having those explosives on the deck it seemed like the main purpose it served was so we wouldn't be surprised that there wasn't more noise on the deck. All a good episode. Also interesting to see Mother Friday at work cross examining a potential bride for Joe Friday and strangely off it should be noted. I don't know if it should be, but I guess I will. But Joe Friday is actually a little bit older than Jack Webb, who was only just past thirty at the time of this recording, said to be thirty one by missus Friday. All right, well, that will actually do it for today. Join us tomorrow our video theater episode. It's an episode of La Queen this month and then the next four weeks we're gonna have special radio programs as we celebrate one thousand, six hundred and fifty episodes and then get into our listener support campaign in the meantime, though, if you do have a comment, send it to me Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com, slash Radiodetectives. Coming up on Monday, the Saint and then next Saturday, another episode of Dragnet from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Grahamson and off