Speaker 1: Welcome to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Guardians Radio Network. Guardians Weekly is brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance.
Speaker 2: Hi, everyone, welcome to Guardians Weekly. Jim Rosenhouse along with you this weekend from Progressive Field in downtown Cleveland, where quite a Saturday is shaping up. If you're tuned in on the radio to our show live here in downtown Cleveland, of course, if you pick it up in podcast for him, a lot of this, any questions that need to be answered will have been by that point, But we hope you enjoyed today's show. We have a good one lined up for you. We will hear from Stephen Kwan, one of the stars from that memorable Game four on Thursday night in Detroit in the American League Division Series, with Game five, the decider, on tap for it later today on Saturday. We'll also visit with Austin Hedges, Guardians catcher, and here from former Cleveland pitcher Josh Tomlin, who threw out a first pitch earlier in the series and had some great memories of postseasons passed with Cleveland and he was such a big part of that big run back in twenty sixteen. So some good stuff there, but a lot to get to on our weekend review. What a week it has been, and we'll get to that shortly as we get rolling on the Cleveland Clinic. Guardians Radio on Netboard.
Speaker 3: October Baseball at.
Speaker 4: Its best, Progressive Presents, Renters, MVP's most Valuable Possessions. Today's MVP Tom Kelly's carbon fiber mountain bike because more than riding his carbon fiber mountain bike, Tom loves telling people about his carbon fiber mountain bike. Friends, family, even a local barista knows about his carbon fiber mountain bike. And that's why Tom's carbon fiber mountain bike, if you haven't heard about it, is today's MVP. Keep your most valuable possessions protected by bundling your renters and auto insurance with Progressive Progressive Casually Insurance Company Affiliates. Another injury is not available in all states.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Progressive Field and Guardians Weekly. Jim Rosenhouse along with you this weekend the Guardians and the Detroit Tigers. They will play later to day earlier though than originally planned, due to a bad weather forecast for tonight, so the teams will meet at one eight with a first pitch time for the deciding Game five in the American League Division Series. How did we get to this point? Well, the series started last Saturday and an impressive win for the Guardians to get it going with their ace, Tanner Bybee on the mound, he had progressive field rocking in the top half of the first.
Speaker 1: Inning Byby's ready all right hander out of cal State Fullerton, lets it fly a swing a Suna change up, so Biby strikes out Meadows to start October baseball. Here at the corner of Carnegiean, Ontario.
Speaker 2: For Detroit their cy young candidate and likely winner, Trek Scubel. He had pitched in the Wildcard Series, so he was lined up to pitch Game two. That meant that it would be a bullpen game for the Tigers, and starting this one was Tyler Holton and the Guardian's leadoff man, Stephen Kwan got things started in a big way.
Speaker 3: The pitch a.
Speaker 5: Swing in a line drive, deep right field, feeling going back. It is off the top of the ninth football Quan on his wait a second in sliding with a double. What a way to jump start this ballpark left on left, and Steven Kwan barely missed a home run, hitting it high off the ninth football and right, his second career hit off Tyler Holton.
Speaker 2: David Fry followed Kwan with a walk, and then Jose Ramirez stepped in.
Speaker 1: String is out on Ramirez, two men aboard, nobody out. The payoff pitch swing in a chapter to third, off the glove of mckisstory down the left field line. Batt'll score Kwan. Fry stops it far in with a double Ramirez, how bad hop double off the glove of McKinstry at third, down the left field line, and the Guardians take a one nothing lead and have runners at second and third and nobody out.
Speaker 2: Josh Naylor was next, and he kept the early onslaught going.
Speaker 1: The pitch swung on ground bow pace hitting the right, that'll score Fry. Rimira stops at third and with a drawn in infield, Naylor poked it through the gap between the first and second basement. Two nothing, Guardians runners at the corners, nobody out, and aj Hinch is going to the bullpen and this place is up for grabs.
Speaker 2: You know, the Tigers didn't waste any time going to their bullpen. Reese Olsener, right hander, came on to face Lane Thomas.
Speaker 3: Infield back double play depth and.
Speaker 5: The pit swagon pit huh pit deep to left howay back.
Speaker 3: Lay Thomas, in his.
Speaker 1: First at bat as a Cleveland Guardian in postseason, pounds one into the bleachers and left.
Speaker 3: A three run home run. A five run first inning and still nobody out.
Speaker 2: Wow, I want to start for the Guardians, and then Tanner Bibby went back to work. Rogers struck out his first time up right handed hitting catcher. Here's the two two swag and a miss strike three. The curve gets him and Bibby just racked up his sixth strikeout. Kate Smith came on to get the final out in the fifth inning, and then he was back out there for the sixth.
Speaker 1: Now got them swinging on the heat ninety seven miles an hour cade Smith into his postseason debut. Four batters faced four strikeouts and Cleveland stays up five nothing in the middle of ending number six.
Speaker 2: The Guardians added to the lead, or at least tried to. In the bottom of the sixth inning with two men on after a walk to John Kenzie Noel and another one to Stephen Kwan. That brought David Fry to the plate.
Speaker 3: Here it comes, swinging a light right pace hit to left down the line, headed toward the wall.
Speaker 1: That'll score no Well Quan flying around third.
Speaker 3: Here's the front of the plate.
Speaker 1: Not a time. David Fry hooked a two run double down the left field line. There's a backbreaker. Seven nothing Cleveland and a big postseason start for David.
Speaker 2: Fry and with the Guardians comfortably in front, next man out of the bullpen was Tim Herron in the seventh the two.
Speaker 1: Swing ANmS slider wiped them out. Herron strikes out Swingy a dozen strikeouts for Cleveland pitching. It's strench time at the corner of Carnegie and Ontario. It is Cleveland seventh, Detroit nothing.
Speaker 2: Hunter Gatis got the call in the eighth inning, the.
Speaker 1: One to one swing on ground ball to a second. He mentos a second. There's one Rocchio relay get him and an ending double play. Middle of the eighth, seven nothing Guardians.
Speaker 2: And even with the big lead, and Manuel Classe came on for some sharpening work to close things out in the ninth.
Speaker 3: Now the set by Class A.
Speaker 1: Here it comes swinging a pop up shallow left, Stephen Kuan near the line makes the catch ball. Game Game one of the American League Division Series belong to the Guardians as they shut out the Detroit Tigers seven to nothing.
Speaker 2: Well, what a way to start things for the Guardians in the Division Series. Monday Game two, late afternoon, great pitching all day long. In this one, Tiger starter Trek Scooble showed why he's the front runner to win this year Cy Young Award.
Speaker 1: Now the kick in the two two what strength three call looked at a fastball rake down the slot that was not debatable. So Scooble has struck out four in a row. Six overall. He is perfect through three Cleveland and Detroit scoreless.
Speaker 2: And for the Guardians, who is Matthew Boyd facing his former team and matching zeros with his good friend.
Speaker 1: The one two from Matthew Boyd sweet a strength three fastball, high and tight. Rogers had no chance and Boyd works out of it.
Speaker 3: We had to the bottom half half of.
Speaker 2: The fourth inning still scoreless in downtown Cleveland. The Tigers tried to get the offense going in the fifth, but the arm of John Kenzie Noel in right field stopped that notion in its tracks. Here's the one two pitch swung on and that's driven down the right side. That's gonna drop fair cut off near the line by Noel.
Speaker 3: Here's his throw. It's a beauty.
Speaker 1: Beside the tag pis out up John Kenzie. Noell with a bullet terrific throw. Rochio applied the.
Speaker 3: Tag and malloy is cut down a second.
Speaker 2: Josh Naylor doubled in the bottom of the fifth. That broke up Schooble's perfect game. But the good pitching continued on both sides as the game remained scoreless through seven. In the eighth, the Tigers threatened to break the tie with two men on, but another great defensive play for the Guardians, this time Stephen Kwan saving the day.
Speaker 3: Here's the one.
Speaker 1: Tune delivery swung online, drive toward the gap left center, diving Kwan.
Speaker 3: He made that catch.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable on diving backhanded catch in the alley and left center. Now the Tiger's still running the bases like the ball wasn't caught.
Speaker 3: This will be challenged the cofield.
Speaker 1: Stand the runners out.
Speaker 3: This boy has one challenging groupe wow. Middle of the eighth scoreless in Cleveland, so.
Speaker 2: Onto the ninth the game went Emmanuel Classe was back out there after he had come on to get that final out in the eighth inning. He retired the first two Tigers batters, but then he gave up a pair of singles, and that brought the dangerous Carry Carpenter to the plate.
Speaker 1: The two to two runner goes pitch it high, hit deep to right. This ball is on its way to the seats. A three run home run for Carpenter to right. They're out of the Tiger dugout on the first base side.
Speaker 3: Of the park. Carry Carpenter with a towering three run home run.
Speaker 1: Emanuel clause Say had given up two home runs all year, and the Tigers, after there were two outs nobody on have scored.
Speaker 2: Three and the Guardians were unable to respond. In the bottom of the ninth inning. Three nothing would be the final, as the Tigers even the series by winning Game two Wednesday. Game three in Detroit pretty much all Tigers in this one, as the Guardians pitching did a solid job. Alex Cobb gave up a pair of runs in three innings. In the bullpen allowed just one more run, but three runs was plenty for the Tigers on this day, as they put together a bullpen day and held the Guardians at bay, making all the right moves in this one. Here's the set delivery swing in a miss, there's your vag game. Back to back shutouts has put Detroit in the driver's seat.
Speaker 1: Their one went away from the American League Championship Series. This improbable run continues, but Cleveland still's got a chance, but they have got to figure out this offense. Back to back shutouts, Cleveland's gonna club record twenty consecutive innings without scoring, and the Tigers win it three to nothing, So that brought the.
Speaker 2: Series to a Game four and an elimination game for the Guardians. A loss there season ends a win and the series would shift right back here to Progressive Field in downtown Cleveland for the Game five. And obviously you know how this one turned out, But the fun is how did it get there? It was a winner go home, and the Guardians came out ready to roll as once again, Stephen got it started in his first at bat of the night. Olson, third base side of the rubber angled toward home plate, delivers and the pitch swung on line drive base hit in the gamp and left center cut off by Riley Green and now it's a nine game hitting streak in postseason play for Stephen Kuan. Kyle Manzaro followed the base hit of his own. Then after Kuan stole third, Cleveland had runners on the corners with two outs for Lane Thomas.
Speaker 1: The pitch a swing and a Croupball base hitting the right Kuan will score. Man Zardo stops at second and Lane Thomas gives Cleveland its first run since the sixth inning on Saturday.
Speaker 2: The Tigers answered in the second inning. A sack fly from Trey Sweeney tied the game at one, and it stayed that way until the fifth when Jose Ramirez stepped in the one to zero and he swings it drives one high and deep left field, hold Road, Jose Ramirez there It is a star being a star, and the Guardians grabbed the lead two to one Cleveland. But again the Tigers responded with a solo home run of their own, Zach McKinstry going opo in the bottom of the fifth inning, and that tied the game of two. Then in the sixth, Detroit got a two out RBI single from Winceel Perez, and for the first time in the game, it was the Tigers who were in front, this time by a score of three to two. In the seventh, the Guardians tried to respond, and they did two quick outs, but then Stephen Kwan delivered another clutch base hit to keep the inning going. That brought pinch hitter David Fry to the plate the.
Speaker 3: Two to two, delivering swung on pitch, a ton deep what green back track?
Speaker 6: Whof gone?
Speaker 3: David Fry.
Speaker 1: Off the bench, a two strike, two out, two home run, and Cleveland's back on top for the third time tonight.
Speaker 3: Four to three.
Speaker 2: And how about that first time in Cleveland's postseason history that a pinch hitter had hit a home run. From the seventh inning on, it was still four to three. Top of the ninth, the Guardians had runners on the corners with one out, looking for a big insurance run, and that's exactly what they got again thanks to David Fry.
Speaker 1: He squares to bunch safety bunt coming home with a backhanded flip. The tag on Rokie a not a time he's in with a head first slide. They pulled off a safety squeeze and a beauty of a bunk by David fry Man.
Speaker 2: What a huge insurance run it turned out to be. Is In the bottom of the night, the Tigers got a lead off double from Justin Henry molloy, who later scored to make it a one run game, five to four Cleveland, And once again the pressure was on closer Emmanuel Classe as he faced Matt Vere with two outs. Claus brings the hands up jin high, he lets it fly, veiling a swing and anss ball game and this incredible division series has one more game remaining, a deciding Game five, winner take all Saturday in Northeast Ohio, as Cleveland comes off the map to beat Detroit five to four. After the game, Guardians manager Stephen Vote talked about the back and forth instant classic that was Game four in Detroit on Thursday night.
Speaker 7: Just such a great baseball game. I feel like every game this series has been a good baseball game. And for our guys to score first, they come back, take the lead, we come back, you know, back and forth, back and forth, and just a tremendous job by you know, our bullpen guys off the bench defense. It was just a well played baseball game on both sides and a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Boy, what a game it was, And when we come back, we'll hear about it from a couple of the contributors to that ballgame, Catcher Austin Hedges and Stephen Kuan, who finished with a three head night. That's next down the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Plante's ready, here it comes and he bunts it safety squeeze in a beauty that'll score strong Goldsmith the first baseman thirty feet from the plate fielded it threw back to first to the second basement covering boy. Hedges has done that three times this year. He lays down a perfect safety squeeze bunt and manufacturers are run. And that's something they'll have to be able to do come November or October. Wait, oh, November, if the World Series goes headlong. Welcome back to Guardians Weekly. Austin had just joining us as the Guardians. Later today will take on the Tigers in a winner take all game. Here, Austin, and you had a great run in the postseason a year ago, and there were a couple of elimination games for your club, the Texas Rangers. We saw one the other night in Detroit, and is is why you play the game games like this, even though I'm sure a sweep would be nice, but when you get in these games, how enjoyable is it?
Speaker 8: Yeah, those the sweeps are nice, you know they it feels like, you know, you don't have to go through all the crazy roller coasters of emotions. But the games that come down to a Game five or Game seven, those are I mean, that's what it's all about. Those are the ones that that's ultimate glory. When you win those ones, there's no better feeling in the world.
Speaker 2: And it seems like it's just such a roller coaster in certain series, and this is one of those. It just felt different the other night, Game four as opposed to Game three. Is that just because of the way the game turned out, or was there a significant difference either in the dugout, how the team was approaching things things like that.
Speaker 8: I mean, you know, we got a score, you know, we scored early. Scoring in the first was a big deal. I think when we score first, you know, it really it really gets the boys going. And then we're really good at keeping leads. That being said, we're also really good at coming from behind. But I think that was a little bit of the difference that you know, obviously we knews winner go home, and we got the same thing going on now, so we just know we go out there and score a handful of runs, we know we're in a good position to win.
Speaker 2: With this team. If you don't start a game, it seems at some point you're going to make an impact on a game, regardless of the position that you're playing. And in game four, you were there at the end catching a manual class a. What can you bring when you come into a game like that, especially for him trying to get through more than one inning, that that can be helpful for him because it seemed like he was on his game.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, it's just about you know, having having the right type of energy in the you know, without you know, being able to talk right. You know, we're just he's he's out there just looking at me, and I'm looking at him, and I got to be able to, you know, look confident in what I'm calling pitches and my targets and my setups and and if there's ever a time for a mound business, just remind me that he's the best in the world. But you know, I'm just trying to stay prepared. As the as the game goes on, and watch what what Bo has been doing, because I know he's going to be out there making all the right decisions and trying just to pick up where he left off.
Speaker 2: Maybe not to get too far off track. But I talked to Bow before the game and he credited you with with helping him develop this season. He's a young catcher who has come a long way, and he talked about that reading hitters during the course of the game and that you've been so helpful to him. How how can you help a young catcher was seemingly a really hard part of a game.
Speaker 8: It is, It is really hard, But I just I just challenged him from the beginning of the season too to know how many pitches he's called in his life, and uh, with that he has, he has all the reps. You know, it doesn't matter what level you're calling pitches. It's still an important situation in your life in that moment, and you know what the reactions of hitters and the strength of your pitchers are. And the more you can watch the game, the more information you can soak in in the actual moment versus all data and information is all previous information, all past games and past games just you know, they give you a good idea, but they just really don't matter in the in the moment, and in the moment, the hitter is going to tell you something. And you know, from the beginning of the season he started really really paying attention to that stuff. And I mean his uh, he's grown up in that, in that in that area of the game so quickly, Like I feel like it took me four or five years in the big leagues to even really know how to do that, and he's doing that an elite level already. So I'm very proud of him for that.
Speaker 2: When you look back at the other night after the game one of those quote instant classics from a fan standpoint, do the players feel that too? Can you appreciate the ebbs and flows? Or are you so locked in and worried about what's next that it's hard to.
Speaker 8: Do In the moment, you just know that it's it's a grind because it's there's so many of you're going up and down with all your emotions. But after the game you kind of feel like, man, that was a that was definitely a playoff game that we're gonna remember for a long time.
Speaker 2: So heading into a game five, what's the biggest key pregame to making sure this team is ready to go to play a good one today?
Speaker 8: Honestly, it's just nothing changes. We got to go out and just do the exact same thing we've done all season. When we do that, we're really good. When we try and do too much, and you know, everyone, when every guy tries to be the hero, that's not our identity. But when everyone's just passing the baton to the next guy and playing our game, I think that's our our best recipe for success.
Speaker 2: Have fun out there today. Thank you, thank you. Well you heard us reference in that interview with Austin Hedges some of the comments from Stephen Kwan after the game. He had a chance to visit with both myself and Tom Hamilton just after the ballgame was complete and talk about what a great game Game four was, especially for Cleveland.
Speaker 1: Congratulations a three hit game. You got some big hits all night long to get things going. Have you ever been in a game that was much more entertaining or excruciating than this one?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I was gonna say that that's pretty stressful. I don't know if that's how I draw it up, but we'll take a win anyway.
Speaker 3: That was awesome, Stephen.
Speaker 2: You know, in the clubhouse before the game, it didn't seem like a regular season game in July certainly, but look, you guys have very little margin for error at this point, but it seemed like a regular day. And how important is that for your team and your teammates to have that type of attitude in pregame.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think it's important. You don't want to change everything that's been working so far, you know, Like, I know, we definitely know what's at stake, but we have our routines, we have what we have to to get through the day, and so I mean, I think that's that's huge for the boys. You know. I think if you start getting a little panicky, things can go wrong.
Speaker 1: Stephen, take us through the emotions of that dugout when you had two different leads and couldn't hold them, and then Detroit takes the lead, and then David Fry with a pinch at home run.
Speaker 3: Can you take us through what goes on in a dugout in a game like this? Yeah? I mean I just thought of faith.
Speaker 9: I think you have to have a lot of faith, you know, voter talk before you know, nobody's gonna be the one here. You gotta pass a baton and keep it rolling. And I think we really embrace that today. We work some really good at bats we had for the big hit, and then you know, we're just riding the roller coaster as we.
Speaker 2: Go, and three of those hits belong to you. It looks like you are dialed back in. And what's been the biggest key here in the postseason for you?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 9: I mean hard to say, you know, I don't. I think it's hard to assign meeting to that. It's just seeing some good pitches and the tough ones. We kind of have an idea of what their plan is, but you know, at the end of the day, once you make contact, you don't have any control over the ball. So I mean some good swings and some good fortune I think go a long way.
Speaker 1: Steven, you have been a big game player in the postseason in just three years of your major league career. Does any of this date back to Corvallis and winning a national championship in college?
Speaker 3: Do you take anything from them? Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 9: Obviously those were some really high pressure games as well, But in that same stride. I try to take that attitude to the first game in twenty twenty two and didn't have the results I would like. So I think, yeah, I've leaned on that a little bit. But at the same time, I have to recognize that these are these are different games as the big leagues and the big Leagues for a reason.
Speaker 2: So yes, but no, you got a big game coming up Saturday. But I feel like you and the rest of the team have the right mindset going in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, it's just another day to play with the boys.
Speaker 3: I was talking about about it before.
Speaker 9: We obviously want advance and get to the next one, but I think also we just want to play play with the boys. We don't want all season a star. I mean, we're living the dream every day with each other. So it's kind of just gonna keep rolling.
Speaker 3: Hey, great job, Steven, thanks so much, thanks to anything, Rosie Stephen Kwan. What a series.
Speaker 1: He has had eight hits in the four games, and we have said it all season long. As he goes, so goes this line up.
Speaker 3: So what a night.
Speaker 2: It was Game four, and I look for the same this afternoon in downtown Cleveland. Again, It's not an eight oh eight first pitch. It was supposed to be, but due to a bad weather forecast. The game will begin at oneh eight this afternoon, and you can tune in beginning at twelve thirty five for the BET three six to five Guardians warm Up Show. Stay with us when we came back, we'll hear from one of the former Cleveland pitchers who is such a big part of the twenty sixteen World Series run. Josh Tomlin will join us. That's next on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio.
Speaker 4: On at Work, bred Messi brings out renters MVPs Most Valuable Possessions. Today's MVP Emily Neils seventy inch TV because after watching her second grade students yell at each other for hours, there's nothing Emily enjoys more than watching super rich housewives also yell at each other. Why because those women are not her responsibility, and that's why her TV is today's MVP. Keep your most Valuable Possessions protected by bundling your printers and auto insurance with Progressive Progressive Casually Insurance Company Affiliates and other Injuri is not available in all states.
Speaker 1: The two swing in another little looping fly into right. Going back to Gravity's Lennie Chisenhol and Josh Tomlin.
Speaker 3: What else is new?
Speaker 1: Seven innings, he's given up three runs. He's on his way to a nine and one record.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Guardians Weekly House. Back with you from downtown Cleveland and Progressive Field for our final segment of this week's show, and we check in with former Cleveland pitcher Josh Tomlin, who threw out the first pitch prior to Game two of this American League Division Series earlier this week against the Tigers. Josh spent twelve years in the Major leagues, nine with Cleveland. His best season was twenty sixteen, when he won a career high thirteen games, and then the postseason, he made four starts, had a couple of wins. Most memorable his start in World Series Game three at Wrigley Field, all one, nothing, shut out win for the Guardians. He didn't go long enough to get a decision, but pitched four and two thirds innings, allowing just two hits that night against the Mighty Cubs, and it was an emotional night for him as his dad, who had some major health issues, was able to make that game in person and that meant everything to Josh and his teammates as well. Him about that in just a little bit. But when we caught up with him prior to throwing out his first pitch prior to Game two earlier this week, he talked about what it was like to come back and see some old friends.
Speaker 6: Oh it's the best, that's all I was telling the guys from the radio earlier. Was this this place made me into the man I am today. I came in here as a nineteen twenty year old in the lower levels and being around Cleveland and being around the city for as long as I was, it turned into a man. It made me understand, you know, how to do things on my own, and what a great time to kind of become a manner.
Speaker 2: And you come here this time of year, and I imagine that a flood of great memories of what postseason means here must be coming back.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, there's the first thing you think about is twenty sixteen, seventeen, the years that we were, you know, so close to doing the things we want to do, what we set out for that year and the accomplishments. But yeah, so many friends of ours still to this day, close friends of mine. We're on that twenty sixteen team, and you know, seeing some of the pictures on the walls here of us celebrating a lot of those moments is really cool to see. But it does bring back a lot of memories, a lot of fond memories and a lot of sad memories of the same sense.
Speaker 2: And for you personally, you had one of the great moments at Wrigley Field starting a game there, and your dad was able to make it at a time where there were some questions as to whether he would be able to. And when you think back about that day, I don't know how much you share with him about that on a not a daily basis, but occasionally, what are some of the things that come to mind about that stretch of time. Oh, it was just.
Speaker 6: Kind of surreal, like to be able to experience that with my folks, and then to have the doctors telling him the type of things they were telling him about, No, you can't do this, now, you can't do that, and then just a will for him to be able to just to do it in my aunt and uncle getting on the fly with him and sending to Chicago, and you know, I don't even know if you would have been able to make it if he was healthier. Then the ABM happens to him and thinks that he will never been to happen, and then you know, just by the unluckiness of the draw of him getting hurt in the year that we get to the World Series, and you know, he even told him, like, you know, I'm going to be there, And we talked about the all the time of like how was Will was just you know, I'm going to watch my son pitching World Series. I'm like, what are the odds if I get to the World Series the year that that actually happens to you? But we laugh about that sometimes, but yeah, it was as a moment we both will never forget and I'm so glad we got to experience that together a part of that team that we were on.
Speaker 2: And oh, by the way, you you were a big part of that rotation in the World Series. Is so many things happened toward the tail end of that season and it turns out that that you had a really good postseason, And what do you remember about that in terms of being able to get on a roll and have the opportunity to pitch in some big games.
Speaker 6: I think it was probably a little bit starting started to happen. The role kind of started to happen before the postseason started, but you know, once it did start, it was one of those situations were like, you don't look at what you're trying to do for yourself. It's the guys behind you that you're trying to accomplish this feat for That's always been my mentality anyway, but like understanding what was actually at stake at this point, or Cleveland the city for our team, ourselves, you really had this extra sense of like locked being locked in and you understand that you know you're not gonna be able to do it by yourself. So the the you know, being having the guys behind us in that year, the napolace of Jay Rams Lindo wors the Brandley's it says, and you can I can name all them Yon Perez or b Perez, like the guys that step up when when situation let that happen where you know you're kind of called into a role or thrown in some situations that you might not have been thrown into prior to some of the injuries or prior to some of the flu incidents that happened that year. You get a sense of gratitude and and the accomplishment of being able to go out there and say, you know, I don't want to let my team down. I want to try to do everything I can. It's a really good feeling to have, and it just gives you the extra sense of, you know, being locked in to the point where it's like nothing else even matters, where you can't hear anything else or see anything else. It's just that tunnel vision of what they say, and it's truly a thing of beauty.
Speaker 2: There's no stopping time. And there's not many of the players on that team who are left still playing except for a guy in the clubhouse right now and Jose Ramirez. And when you think of where he was then what he's doing now still and still not all that old in the game, how impressed are you with what he's done.
Speaker 6: Listen, we've talked about this, me and Branley, even the old special assistant here, Jason Bray. I mentioned something to these guys in twenty twelve. I was rehabbing in Akronam watched I watched Jose play, and I said, that is one of the most special players I've seen in the minor leagues in a long time. Then fast forward to I think it was fourteen or fifteen whenever he got called up and then got sent back down, and then Lindor came on the scene, and Lindor was Lindor who still is an unbelievable player. But there was always something special about jay Ram, not just about his talent. Let's people honest, he's one of the generational talents in this game that people don't ever talk about. Unfortunately, he's probably the most underrated player I've ever seen. But that the leadership that you can see this team have right now is not telling me why this is a little bit a little bit together, But this is a Jay Ram team that's led by him. The culture that's created around here about winning, playing, showing up, playing your best, it's probably all because of him, just because of what we what we saw a guy coming in from in twenty sixteen, playing center field, left field, center field's, third base, shortstop, second base. Wherever he was asked to be to play, he played, and he was an absolute superstar and he did it with you know, grace and gratitude and never complained or anything about it. And now it's one of the staple third basements in this game, and it's good to see. But those every mirrors is the generational talent that people need to start talking about more often.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, Does he have the best walk in the game? Just general walk, No doubt.
Speaker 6: There is not a better There's not a more confident walk in the.
Speaker 3: Game, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Josh Tomlin's joining us just a big part of the twenty sixteen team, and he threw out a first pitch on a Monday before Game two. Josh, bring the fans up to day. What are you doing now? I know you're still in the game with the Atlanta breaks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I do a specialis system work for them on the pitching side, do advanced scouting work for them as well. But I do also I do have a baseball academy in my hometown called Catch forty three. While I'm helping the youth kind of do what I got to accomplish and try to do everything I can to help them and try to achieve their dreams and be the best baseball player that can possibly be and see what leaves them.
Speaker 2: And we record this before you throw the first pitch. A lot of pitchers they get done with their career, and the last thing they're doing is throwing. Can you uncork a cutter here in a couple of minutes, no.
Speaker 6: Doubt, no doubt about it. I'll play catch every single day, so I'm gonna try. Not saying it's gonna be a perfect strike, but i'm gonna try. I'm gonna try to let one.
Speaker 2: Josh, great to see it. Thanks, good, Thanks fathers, you appreciate you having me. That's Josh Tomlin, one of the good guys in the game, and now with the Atlanta Braves in their front office and always great to see him. One of the more popular players from that group back in the twenty sixteen season that took it all the way to a Game seven in the World Series against the Chicago Cubs. This group trying to do the same, but they'll need to get past the Tigers. It's a deciding game five later today A one toh eight first pitch twelve thirty five airtime for Guardians warm up, a winner take all game to see who plays the Yankees in the American League Championship Series. Had a li it for this week's edition of Guardians Weekly, thanks as always to Brian Motsey. We will talk to you once again from right here in downtown Cleveland next week, regardless of how today goes as it's another edition of Guardians Weekly and you've been listening to it on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Boy, this series, outside of the seven nothing blowout win for Cleveland in Game one, has been a tense affair, to say the least. Runs hard to come by, dominant pitching and a spot in Game one Monday in the American League Championship Series is up for grams. Guardian's Weekly has been brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds of car insurance