Speaker 1: Sword and Scale contains adult themes and violence and just not intended for all audiences.
Speaker 2: Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 3: I had a nice in my hand, and I think the blanket was over his head, and I pulled the blanket off.
Speaker 4: I think I started stabbing him in the throat.
Speaker 5: I sold it lifely his eyes and everything.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 1: So I put the videos in a higher tier, and you guys complain. So after a while I bring it down and I make it available to the lowest tier available, and then the guys in the higher tiers complain. And it seems like, no matter what I do this year, you've all woken up in twenty twenty six with something shoved up firmly up your ass. It's like everybody is on their period or something. Yeah, I said it. That's what it's like. From my end, I get it from every one of you. All of you complain to me for some reason as if I give a shit. I mean I do give a shit. I do want you to enjoy the show and what I'm producing here, but you gotta stop. I'm gonna produce whatever I'm gonna produce. I'm the one deciding that, as the creator of this program and you can like it or you can not like it. And that's why there's a million choices available online. You can just go to something else you'll like. You don't have to attack me personally and you know, try to dig up secrets about me and like, you know, try to ruin my life and all that shit, Like what is that? What's wrong?
Speaker 6: Would you be?
Speaker 1: Grow? Ah Buca Raton, Florida, sits on the Atlantic Coast, manicured neighborhoods, gated communities, palm line streets, a sun drenched tropical paradise where tourists find it easy to forget that life just kind of happens here, and residents have to get a move on with their routine and get things done. Just a few miles north, in the smaller city of Delray Beach, that routine continued on the night of February two, twenty twenty. Traffic moved through intersections, patrol cars idled at lights. Nothing was unusual, that is, until the traffic cop pulled over a white Ford Explorer.
Speaker 7: It's gonna be the eleven hundred block South Federal, so I Ford Explored reference snow lights. Can you put your hands on the little body okay, hey, there almost just was the reason why.
Speaker 4: Uh I pulled you over?
Speaker 8: You don't have any lights on?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Tuck behind the wheel was a man in his mid twenties. He didn't appear intoxicated. His speech was steady, his demeanor calm. If anything, he seemed apologetic. But something about him stopped the officer cold. His face, his chest, his hands were all spattered with blood.
Speaker 5: Are you okay on?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I just had a note lead?
Speaker 7: Do you share?
Speaker 5: You don't need paramax anything? Okay?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Are you able to turn your lights on?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Are you sure you didn't get like beat up or anything?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: I just had a nosebleed. I get him all the time.
Speaker 7: Okay, do you have your license on your body?
Speaker 4: I don't actually, but I have my Yeah? Yeah, do you have your idea?
Speaker 1: The strange man with a nosebleed handed over his license, which identified him as twenty six year old Jared Noyman. As the officer returned to his patrol car to run Jared's information, another unit pulled up. The second officer immediately noticed the blood.
Speaker 5: He's got blood all over his face. You seal the blood on his face?
Speaker 1: Say he's headed like that dude, it is no fucking.
Speaker 7: That's why I was like, bro, you need have to be okay, got a fight, Like no, I just had a real.
Speaker 5: Bad, none oly shit.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately for Jared, the blood wasn't the only issue. When officers ran Jared's information, they discovered something else. Driver's license, which was actually a learner's permit, had expired.
Speaker 7: All right, so I'll say you know that your license isn't good.
Speaker 10: This is not good.
Speaker 7: It's been expired since twenty sixteen, and it's a E class learners, which means you're supposed to have someone twenty one or older that's licensed with you.
Speaker 5: Oh so I didn't know it was about eight.
Speaker 7: It's fine. I'm only giving you a citation. You do have to show up to court. You just take your indu back. You just got a sign saying that you're gonna show up, all right, and you can keep my pen because you're.
Speaker 9: Covered in blood.
Speaker 1: The officer issued a citation for the expired license and told Jared that he could not drive away. He would need to call someone to pick him up.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna tell you this, You're not allowed to drive, okay, So I'm gonna pol over the thing again.
Speaker 5: That's what I suggest.
Speaker 7: Yeah, listen, you're an adult. You get caught driving, I mean, it's started going to show that you got a court tate, you know what I mean. So they're gonna they're not gonna give you any breaks, just gonna arrest.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Next, the officers returned to questions about the blood. By now they had noticed the scratches, the small cuts on Jared's hands and forearms. They knew that all the blood did not come from a nose bleed.
Speaker 4: I don't know what else to tell you besides how to.
Speaker 5: The butt all over your toes and it's like you bathe the blood.
Speaker 9: That's not just a note.
Speaker 7: If you're part of something actively bleeding from your elbows, so it's not just the nose.
Speaker 12: Uh yeah, just quick.
Speaker 1: After stepping out of the vehicle, Jared changed his story. He admitted the blood hadn't come from his nose.
Speaker 8: From the blood all of your feet, it wouldn't run from.
Speaker 4: The nose your feet. They're bleeding from the elbows currently.
Speaker 5: The knuckles are bleeding.
Speaker 9: So what happened?
Speaker 5: For real?
Speaker 4: I gotta fight with somebody and they they hit me and beat up.
Speaker 7: Where this is happening in Boca.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you want to report this?
Speaker 9: I mean.
Speaker 4: No, it's no big deal to me. I mean, you beat the shit out of me pretty bad.
Speaker 5: Who's this person?
Speaker 4: I don't really know him like that. He was just somebody it was arguing with me.
Speaker 1: After hearing his new explanation, the officers requested EMTs to the scene and asked them to do a basic check up on Jared. At the same time, they contacted Boca Raton Dispatch to check for any reports of a fight.
Speaker 7: Hey, it's Alcor Smith with del REPETI. Hey, I just pulled over a guy. His name's Jared Neuman. He said he got into a fight in Boca with somebody. I'm trying to see if you guys have any batteries recently that you're looking for this dude.
Speaker 5: He was covered in blood.
Speaker 1: The Boca Raton Dispatch reported no recent calls about a fight. No one there. I was looking for Jared. So the Delray officers had a decision to make. What should they do with Jared and what should they do with this Ford explorer?
Speaker 7: Or I got to tow the car And it looks like you're living in you work out of it, So are you able to call somebody.
Speaker 4: I'm really not Can you please like not totally.
Speaker 5: Call That's what I'm saying. If you can call somebody.
Speaker 4: An if you take that car, I have nothing, I'm gonna be sleeping on.
Speaker 7: I understand that, but it's also a liability on me. If I knowingly let you leave with the car and then something happens, it looks bad on me.
Speaker 5: It's gonna happen. I'm just going to pull over in the nearest spot.
Speaker 4: It just that's it, you know.
Speaker 1: Jared pleaded with the officers not to tow his vehicle. He told them he worked out of it, lived out of it. It was all he had, So the officers gave him a break. They allowed him to move the vehicle to a nearby parking lot on the condition that he wouldn't drive again until has expired licensed situation was resolved. Jared agreed, and just like that, he was free to go. The next morning, about ten miles south in Boca Ratan, a parking garage employee arrived for work and discovered something waiting outside, something horrible.
Speaker 12: He comes up the.
Speaker 1: Show for work.
Speaker 12: He comes up the ramp, he sees the black peg right on the other side of that pillar.
Speaker 5: There's a black peg.
Speaker 12: Don't know if it's connected enough, but he sees it, and well, he didn't see the blood Yetcause he's in his car. He sees the bag, and he's been here for like fifteen years, so he's used to seeing homeless people here. So right away you say, no, there's a homeless guy in here somewhere. Makes the turn as he's coming up the ramp. He's looking straight at that. He sees that, doesn't know what condition he's and he sees the blood. She shoots up top, parks the car, walks down, sees him and calls nine one one.
Speaker 13: What's the location of your emergency?
Speaker 8: It is in the parking ride of one South Ocean Boulevard in Boca ratone. There is a dead gentleman here with a knife wound, blood all over the place, and he is dead, not breathing. Yep, he is dead.
Speaker 13: Is he in a car?
Speaker 5: No, He's laying on the ground.
Speaker 8: Is he white black or Hispanic white?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 8: The handle is right by his head and the nice part of about though, four feet away from him on the ground. And where is the staff? When I'm there's blood around his head and shoulders and there is there any kind of car around him? No, there's no car. It looks like a homeless person because he had his mats here and his coat and his flip floped sandals, and nobody else is around. Did you see anybody going to leave as you were coming in? No?
Speaker 13: No.
Speaker 1: After the parking garage worker discovered what appeared to be a homeless man stabbed at death, he called nine one one and detectives quickly arrived. What they found was an area saturated with blood and clear signs of a very brutal attack.
Speaker 12: Almost looks like he was sleeping there and got attacked. Yeah, all right, stay back over here, because you got some blood over here, I got footprints here. Just please watched the stairs, blood footprints coming away from him, don't so? Yeah, please.
Speaker 1: As detectives processed the scene, they noticed a trail of bloody footprints leading away from the body. It didn't take long for them to form a theory about what happened. They assumed the homeless man had been sleeping in the parking garage when he was attacked and stabbed repeatedly. There were signs of a brief struggle. Then the killer must have fled.
Speaker 12: Yeah, there's knife handle is next to him up there, and then the blader's over here. It looks like he was sleeping and got attacked and then wound up over here and dropped. But whoever was with him walked out this way.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Nearby detectives also recover a murder weapon, a cheap knife, long, sharp and broken. Yeah, he fought.
Speaker 12: Yeah, he's got you can see slice wounds, defensive. His hands are up on it. Yeah, he's guys. He's got a stab where he broke the knife off the hand, broke the handle off the knife.
Speaker 4: It's a pretty good, pretty good played.
Speaker 5: Knife still up there and everything.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: After several hours, the body was removed from the parking lot and transported to the Medical Examiner's office for an autopsy and hopefully an identification. As detectives continued their work, word began to spread the local media reported that a man had been found dead inside a Boca Ratan parking lot. Residents woke up to the news of a violent crime in their community, with few answers and no suspect and custody.
Speaker 14: Bogertrump police closed off the One Ocean Plaza parking garage on Monday as they investigated how a man ended up dead with a knife wound. This section of A one A is a popular place for walkers and cyclist. Kevin Metz says he's never seen this kind of crime around here.
Speaker 12: You know, pretty shocking, and you know East Booker Ratoni, you think it'd be very safe for.
Speaker 14: Hopes it's an isolated incident.
Speaker 15: It's sad, and it could be just a one weird accident that happened.
Speaker 7: It could be something odd, because I wouldn't anticipate.
Speaker 15: That this would be the norm, because this is a very, very lovely community.
Speaker 14: And as of right now, Boca Raton police haven't released any information about who the victim is and their death investigation continues.
Speaker 1: For a moment, the Boca Ratan police had no suspect, no name, no clear direction, just a body in a parking lot and a trail of bloody footprints leading away. What they didn't know, what no one in Boca Ratan knew, was just a few hours earlier, Adelray Beach traffic cop had already stopped the man responsible for this murder. He had blood on his face, on his chest, on his hands, and they just let him go. On the morning of February third, twenty twenty, Boca Raton detectives were investigating a fatal stabbing inside a parking lot. A man had been found dead, bloody footprints led away from the scene. There was no suspect in custody. Just hours earlier, in a neighboring city, a patrol officer had stopped the white Ford Explorer driven by a young man covered in blood. The two encounters had not been connected yet, but that wouldn't last. After reviewing surveillance and processing the scene, detectives began zeroing in on a name. An arrest warrant was issued for twenty six year old Jared Neuman, and it didn't take long for Boca Raton police to find him. Once again, Jared was behind the wheel of a white Ford Explorer, but this time when officers pulled him over, they approached him with their guns drawn.
Speaker 6: Burn your vehicle.
Speaker 16: Off, driver, roll down your window, river lake, your hands outside of the vehicle. Full hands outside of the vehicle, full pands, keeping your hands outside of the vehicle, use your left hand to open the driver's side door and step out.
Speaker 1: During this traffic stop, Jared was taken into custody without insident. His explorer was seized and Jared was brought into the police station where two homicide detectives were waiting to question him.
Speaker 10: So, your first name was Jared, right in your last name theoymany An?
Speaker 17: And what's your birthday?
Speaker 4: One sixteen ninety four?
Speaker 6: And you have an address? No? Where do you currently stay? At?
Speaker 9: My car?
Speaker 6: In your car?
Speaker 17: What kind of car is up for deploys?
Speaker 6: It registered too?
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, you been doing that.
Speaker 4: In the car a couple of years now. Oh well, I have a job though, I'm trying to get a place.
Speaker 5: So I heard you doing.
Speaker 4: I do like like a restaurant and firehouse huves?
Speaker 17: Oh good here in the city.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, do you like it?
Speaker 4: I don't particular who like it? Put a need to money, so make sure I go every day.
Speaker 1: Before outright addressing their murder investigation, the detectives took their time and began the interview by asking Jared about his background.
Speaker 6: You said your.
Speaker 10: Parents had a divorce when you or twelve, but then but then you lived with mom.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you stayed in Ohio.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: When did you move down here.
Speaker 4: In Florida when I was eighteen?
Speaker 17: You're eighteen, okay? And who did you stay with what you got down here.
Speaker 4: I just moved down here. I stayed with by myself in.
Speaker 6: Like an apartment, a house.
Speaker 4: Or like I was just gonna stay in my car.
Speaker 1: From the start, something about Jared's responses felt a little off. You didn't appear nervous or confused, but his answers were guarded and they didn't always add up. Follow Up questions about his background often contradicted details he had just mentioned moments earlier.
Speaker 5: So your parents don't lived together, right, Okay?
Speaker 9: Do you see them often? My parents?
Speaker 4: No, I don't know. I'm down here.
Speaker 9: How long a se me?
Speaker 5: Did they come visit or anything?
Speaker 6: Or did they work?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: My mom's working.
Speaker 17: What do they do?
Speaker 4: My mom was a nurse. I'm I'm really sure my dad does that. I I stopped talking to him.
Speaker 6: Oh, you guys have fallout.
Speaker 2: I like a fall I just you know, nobody in the family really talks to him, Like I don't talk to him.
Speaker 4: I probably don't talk to him.
Speaker 6: Why is that?
Speaker 4: It's just I don't know. He's just a weird person.
Speaker 2: Do you have mental problems or drug I think he does, but he won't admit it. He's like the type of person that says, tells everyone else there crazy, and then everyone else is saying, no, you're crazy, and he's like.
Speaker 8: No, I'm not.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 4: So you know, it's just distance yourself and people like that was the.
Speaker 5: Last time you saw him?
Speaker 9: A few years? How about your mom? It's just every years. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Next, the detectives shifted their focus to a key piece of the investigation, Jared's vehicle. The white Ford explore that car.
Speaker 9: That you have, does anyone else drive it? No, You're the only one that drives it. Yeah, because there's there was like some tools and stuff in there. Those that's for works. What are you to do with those?
Speaker 4: There was a paining job.
Speaker 9: Uh what kind of painting?
Speaker 18: What do you mean?
Speaker 19: What kind of like interior exterior finishing business?
Speaker 4: Just uh, exterior pan I will go to do that.
Speaker 9: This is this is like we're just curious. We're just trying to get to know.
Speaker 5: Because we saw that starting there, Like it almost seems like there was more than one person.
Speaker 4: Really weird questions.
Speaker 5: She seems like this more than one person living in the.
Speaker 2: Car and stuff like that went on personally in the car.
Speaker 9: I'll stop for more than one person.
Speaker 10: Yeah, just you Yeah, Okay, and he said it was registered to you.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: First, Jared told detectives he worked at fire house sucks, but when asked about the tools and supplies and his explore, he claimed to also be a painter. The story didn't really add up, and detectives already knew the vehicle wasn't registered to Jared. They also knew that he wasn't the only person living out of it.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, that car, oh man, two years and you lived in a car.
Speaker 4: And that's where you in the car.
Speaker 6: Where do you normally stay? Like where do you park it at night?
Speaker 4: Like you probably like in the part of the whole parking.
Speaker 2: Lot here, Yeah, park the front, in the back, just towards the back.
Speaker 6: Okay, what are you doing to get cleaned up and stuff?
Speaker 9: I remember?
Speaker 4: Fitness? Okay, fitness show.
Speaker 1: The detectives also questioned Jared about his criminal history, even though they already knew this wasn't his first encounter with law enforcement.
Speaker 6: Have you been in trouble before? And what have you ever been in trouble before? Have you ever had him right written to you?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 17: What were you in trouble before before?
Speaker 2: Just like just like small tercations and all stuff that you know, I just made a mistake, and you know, to make.
Speaker 5: Not the major not at all them done the same thing.
Speaker 9: Yeah, bull had decisions.
Speaker 5: Anything recent, not really.
Speaker 1: None of what Jared told detectives about his record was true. At just twenty six years old, he had already accumulated a growing list of pretty serious criminal charges.
Speaker 20: Police say this isn't Neuman's first run in with the law. He was arrested on February twenty second. In June nineteenth for simple battery against strangers, and he was interviewed by law enforcement in October after posting Facebook comments with threats to kill, do bodily injury, or conduct a mass shooting or an act of terrorism.
Speaker 1: After hearing Jared lie about his record and the ownership of the Ford Explorer, detectives shifted their focus to the night before the bloody traffic stop in Delray Beach. When the Delray cops asked why Jared had been covered in blood, he offered a simple explanation. He claimed he'd been in a fight.
Speaker 10: So taking back to again, this didn't happen last night, because this is the that's the main thing that we're concerned about, is this person trying to locate them.
Speaker 4: I don't have any information.
Speaker 17: You don't have anything else, you know their phone number or anything like that.
Speaker 4: I don't know them like that.
Speaker 10: Okay, So after you left the traffic stop at del right, did you go anywhere to clean yourself up?
Speaker 4: I mean, what is all this for? Why am I being questioned in all this?
Speaker 9: So?
Speaker 10: Well, you're pretty you had a lot of blood on you right last night when they came into mart right.
Speaker 6: But when a violent crime.
Speaker 10: Happens in Boca, then it becomes our problem because we have somebody out there who'd already are people.
Speaker 4: I can't go get the guy for you. I don't know where he lives. I don't know him like that.
Speaker 10: Well, there's this certain things that you've been telling us that just kind of don't like they're like really easy questions, Like it seems like you're not telling us the truth.
Speaker 1: On After pressing Jared a bit more, detectives were able to get him to give up a few more details about this supposed fight that he had.
Speaker 4: He just approached me.
Speaker 2: He was very aggressive and we argued for a minute, and then he started attacking me and I fought back, and we just kind of got into a fight and eventually, you know, he just stopped and got tired.
Speaker 4: And just walked off, and I walked off and that was it.
Speaker 6: Where did this happen at?
Speaker 4: It was in Boca well like where it was like somewhere on your motto?
Speaker 2: Like I was walking, you know, and he just approached me and I've seen him a couple of times.
Speaker 9: Like he kind of knows me not really.
Speaker 6: Do you know? Like your mom's a pretty big route.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I don't know, Like I was like just walking in and like Patent was specifically where.
Speaker 6: I was, And who's the guy that confronts you?
Speaker 9: I don't know his name?
Speaker 6: How do you know? Like how have you seen?
Speaker 2: I've just seen him a couple of times, Like he's talked to me before, like briefly, but.
Speaker 17: Like where have you where have you seen him at?
Speaker 4: I was just like around like here and there?
Speaker 9: Can you describe him?
Speaker 4: I mean, like how male?
Speaker 5: Female?
Speaker 9: Lack?
Speaker 6: This fan?
Speaker 9: Black?
Speaker 5: Black mail?
Speaker 17: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Black?
Speaker 17: Now?
Speaker 9: I thought? How old he is?
Speaker 4: I have no idea? I mean twenty thirty forty.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Do you think you got the best of him or he got the best of you?
Speaker 4: He definitely got the best of me.
Speaker 9: Oh really?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So you got the worst with the cuts and everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was fine.
Speaker 1: I mean, how annoying is it when people are vague like this, intentionally obtuse, tell me you're lying without telling me you're lying. As detectives continued pressing for specifics, his demeanor began to shift. For the first time, Jared's composure appeared to slip.
Speaker 9: Where'd you get up going after work? Where you going after work?
Speaker 10: Just in my car?
Speaker 17: There's something that's going on you want to tell us about.
Speaker 10: You look like you're episode about something. Yeah, you just looked like you got lost in thought for a second. I just want to make sure that there's not a missing piece to this that you hold him back on it.
Speaker 9: Are all right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 13: That okay.
Speaker 1: Up to this point, the detectives had allowed Jared room to talk, to explain, to revise, to hedge, but eventually that changed. Detectives stopped trying to understand the story and began challenging it.
Speaker 19: And we know it didn't happen on your motto, and we know that your car wasn't at the McDonald's, and we kind of know where you are.
Speaker 17: All right, So what can you tell us about what actually happened.
Speaker 4: I don't have any any more information. I just whatever I said is what I was saying.
Speaker 9: Will you buy the beach yesterday? What is this about?
Speaker 5: Just ask anywhere you play the beach yesterday.
Speaker 9: I don't want to.
Speaker 4: Answer any more questions. I feel like, I mean, like targeting or something.
Speaker 1: The shift in the detective's tone had a noticeable effect. Jared began to retreat. His answers grew shorter. Then he stopped answering altogether. But the detectives didn't ease up. They doubled down and confronted Jared with more of the inconsistencies in a story.
Speaker 6: We know that you were over by the beach last night.
Speaker 17: Okay, you're on video at seven eleven. Okay, we know.
Speaker 6: I don't know why you're distancing yourself from your dad.
Speaker 10: You don't want to talk about your dad. We know the vehicles registered to him. Okay, it's not registered to you. We know that you guys were together in the vehicle a month ago, right you got arrested.
Speaker 6: You got into a domestic with him.
Speaker 17: You were living down here with him.
Speaker 6: And you're lying and telling us that he's living with his mom somewhere. So there's all these things that you're telling us that you're lying to us about, and I think it's because you're upset with what happened last night.
Speaker 10: Understandably, Okay, but you need to tell us the truth about what.
Speaker 6: Exactly happened because you're lying.
Speaker 10: There's all these things that we know that you're lying about, but we just need to know exactly what happened.
Speaker 9: What did happen? That's what we need you to tell us.
Speaker 4: Jared, Can you tell me?
Speaker 9: Because I don't know what happened.
Speaker 1: After more than an hour of questioning, the detectives stopped circling. They moved directly to the reason why Jared was in that room, the bloody and fatal stabbing in the parking lot.
Speaker 6: So we saw how much blood there was on you.
Speaker 10: I also see the injuries that you have. All that blood was not your blood, okay.
Speaker 6: So that blood's going to.
Speaker 17: Be in your car, okay, and you know what that's going to come back to.
Speaker 6: What who's the blood going to come back to? What do you mean in your car?
Speaker 10: The blood in your car that was all over you, that's not yours Because you only have.
Speaker 6: A couple of small injuries.
Speaker 9: You're seeing blood in my car.
Speaker 10: There was blood all over you last night, all over your face, all over both of your arms, all over your pant legs, all over your feet.
Speaker 5: I could see it on the outside of your car and on your arm wrest and on the center console. From standing outside your car, you can see.
Speaker 6: It, that blood. That was a lot of fler.
Speaker 9: We don't know who you gotta fight with. We need you to tell us who you gotta fight We know the person, I don't know the we do.
Speaker 4: How do you know the person we use?
Speaker 9: Telling him?
Speaker 21: Just asking me about them, because we're seeing how honest you're gonna be with this, and we don't think you're honest at all.
Speaker 1: Next, the detectives turned their attention to the victim. They already knew who he was, and so did Jared.
Speaker 19: Since that's your dad's car, how do we get ahold of your dad to tell him that's his car and we have it because we got to release to somebody.
Speaker 9: Where is he? Do you have a number for him?
Speaker 18: No?
Speaker 9: What was the last time you saw him? Why even?
Speaker 5: Why is that a tough question for you? It's really not.
Speaker 4: It's just I don't even know why.
Speaker 21: I'm asked one of the last time you saw your dad because I look at this, But Mom, you need to get his car back to him.
Speaker 4: No, I'm the one using it.
Speaker 5: Is you don't understand it's a registered to him, my law. He's the only one that can get the.
Speaker 4: Okay, then he can come get it when he needs to get it.
Speaker 9: He won't know where it's at.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we need to contact I can contact him.
Speaker 9: Wow, I just don't want to answer my question.
Speaker 5: What was the last time you saw your dad?
Speaker 4: When it was the less time you saw him?
Speaker 9: Well, I'm going to say.
Speaker 1: Today today, the victim in this homicide investigation, the man found brutally stabbed to death inside a Boca Raton parking lot, was fifty nine year old Jay Noyman. He was Jareded's father.
Speaker 22: So obviously, Jared, we're here about your dad, and we can't tell with my dad.
Speaker 9: We can't be any more clear about that.
Speaker 4: Why are you here about my dad?
Speaker 9: Tell us?
Speaker 4: I would like you to tell me. Why are you here about my dad?
Speaker 10: Well, I think it's obvious that you know because all the questions that you've been avoiding today have had some sort of relation.
Speaker 13: To your dad.
Speaker 10: There are certain things that you've been honest about out and certain things that you've lied about, and every.
Speaker 6: Single thing that you've lied about is how to do with your dad?
Speaker 5: What was going on?
Speaker 1: When the conversation turned to his father, Jared responded the same way he had all along. He acted as if he didn't understand what the detectives were asking. It's like, all of a sudden, he doesn't understand English. Some people really suck that line.
Speaker 9: So forces you're what really is?
Speaker 4: What is enforcement?
Speaker 19: Because as my partner said, you're well aware while you're here, and you're.
Speaker 5: Well aware of the situation that's going on. No, I'm not to sit here and you sit.
Speaker 9: Here and act like you are. I thought you were more of.
Speaker 5: A man, and I thought you were more of a decent person.
Speaker 4: I really much souing. I'm homeless, I'm poor. I fucking I don't what do you mean an excuse?
Speaker 6: I'm just saying.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying that I'm not a great person. Okay, I'm homeless, I'm poor. I don't have a lot of stuff in my life.
Speaker 1: When confusion failed, Jared changed his approach and he cast himself as a victim. Of course, Oh poor little Jahwait yet, Even in that shift towards self pity, this story remained inconsistent.
Speaker 4: What so you don't even know this?
Speaker 9: My dad?
Speaker 5: They were talking to this, but we need to confirm it.
Speaker 4: Before we say anything.
Speaker 6: Is so you don't know? Well, yeah, so my dad's fine.
Speaker 4: You just I don't know.
Speaker 9: You don't know. I don't know. Maybe I don't want to tell you.
Speaker 5: Say what you don't want to tell you?
Speaker 4: You have to tell me anything? Yeah, I mean I know everything in my life is fine.
Speaker 9: So it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I said it shipped two minutes ago.
Speaker 1: Despite Jared's attempts to steer the conversation elsewhere, detectives kept bringing it back to his father, you know, the victim. Before long, they raised a he's an incident, one that had resulted in Jared getting arrested for assaulting his dad.
Speaker 6: So what I'm asking is I pass me off about my dad. I'm trying to figure out what set you off that day.
Speaker 2: I thought that little assault charge that they dropped because I didn't have that's worth.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it was nothing.
Speaker 5: He just he's like he was like a whim.
Speaker 6: He's just called the police, but like what what why?
Speaker 5: Like he was a whim?
Speaker 6: It's like, you know, he just.
Speaker 4: He's like the first person who like jump on the phone and calling out on one.
Speaker 6: Does he like get pissed off that you aren't working as hard as you should.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know anything.
Speaker 4: About my dad. I don't know, Like I never knew him.
Speaker 2: Since the day I was born to now, I never knew a single thing about him because he doesn't like to share, he doesn't like communic.
Speaker 6: Hat stand offish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he's in his own little egotistical world with it all revolves around him.
Speaker 4: So I can't you know, It's it's like when talking to a wall, and I.
Speaker 6: Talked to him, right, So how do you your point across?
Speaker 9: I don't.
Speaker 4: You don't know, I just get ignored.
Speaker 1: Bringing up the recent assault shifted the tone of the interview. Jared began speaking more freely about his father, about their relationship, the tension between them. So the detectives leaned into that and let Jared continue. When somebody starts digging hand them as shovel, I mean.
Speaker 6: Some people just real like that, you know what I mean. No matter how much you talk to him or how much you say you'm going to get in to him.
Speaker 2: Well, Yeah, he was frustrating, you know, trying to cooperate with somebody and they don't want to cooperate.
Speaker 6: It, and you know, well, what are you trying to collaborate on?
Speaker 4: Everything? Everything?
Speaker 2: I tried everything to cooperate and have agreement and peace, and he was not interested in.
Speaker 1: Captain Vagueness began to unload his frustrations about his father. Before long, the detectives attempted to steer the conversation towards a resolution, offering him a softer path forward. They asked him to tell them what really happened.
Speaker 9: The picture that you kind of painted. I'm kind of on your side as.
Speaker 22: To what you're going through and what your dad was putting you through and the pressures you were feeling and the personality conflict. So I didn't understand that if something happened between you guys and.
Speaker 9: It broke bad.
Speaker 19: But unless you tell us what actually happened and stop beating around the bush.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what you're even talking about last night.
Speaker 9: Okay, tell us what happened.
Speaker 2: It's not that hard, it's very basically what did I do last night?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the strategy didn't work. Jared retreated once again responding as though he didn't understand what detectives were asking. The conversation stalled, circling back over ground they had already covered.
Speaker 10: I want you to tell me about what you got into your most recent argument, about.
Speaker 4: Most recent argument. Why do you want to know what most recent argument was about?
Speaker 6: Because everything here revolves around your dad.
Speaker 4: Everything here, the.
Speaker 6: Reason why we're hearing the revalls are my dad.
Speaker 4: Okay, sorry, you gonna tell me what happened with my dad?
Speaker 6: That's what I'm wanting you to tell me.
Speaker 4: How would I know what happened with my dad.
Speaker 17: Because you're with him?
Speaker 4: What do you mean him with him?
Speaker 6: You were with him when earlier this morning?
Speaker 1: Yet again the detectives shifted tactics. They returned to confronting Jared with the inconsistencies and his statements.
Speaker 19: So the dad who you told us earlier tonight lives with his.
Speaker 4: Mom in Ohio.
Speaker 6: I don't just listen, just listen.
Speaker 21: So your dad's mom is deceased, correct, yes, okay, so he doesn't live with her. And then you told us that you haven't had any contact with him in years, which she just pointed out a case a month ago where you were arrested because.
Speaker 5: You and him are fighting in a parking lot. And then I'll just ask you a question if you and him live in the trunk.
Speaker 9: And he said yes.
Speaker 19: And then I asked you if his stuff is in the truck and you said yes, correct?
Speaker 9: Is that correct?
Speaker 4: Why do I have to answer that?
Speaker 21: You know, that's just the serials question I'm asking that showed you're being deceitful.
Speaker 5: And you said you believe in the truth and you believe in fact.
Speaker 21: Obviously you're lying because you don't believe in the truth and you don't believe in fact.
Speaker 9: Is that correct?
Speaker 5: I just set a yes or no.
Speaker 4: You just through my head to another world.
Speaker 9: I didn't mean to do that. I apologized.
Speaker 10: He's trying to explain to you all the things that you lie about today, and I.
Speaker 4: Feel like I have to put my business out there like that.
Speaker 10: You know, well, when it comes to matters that are involving the police and the reason is that we're questioning you, then yeah it matters.
Speaker 9: Well, well it.
Speaker 4: May matter, but it's still you know, my business.
Speaker 2: And if I don't want to share my personal business with other people.
Speaker 4: That I don't know who aren't doing anything good.
Speaker 15: Right, But.
Speaker 2: How do you think that's going to look for you in terms of why.
Speaker 1: Next, the detectives began laying out the physical evidence. Step by step, they explained how it contradicted Jared's claim of being attacked and instead pointed to him as the attacker.
Speaker 17: Do you know what the evidence is telling me right now?
Speaker 4: You said injured the person.
Speaker 6: It's telling me that you were the aggressor?
Speaker 4: Really mm hm.
Speaker 10: So that's why I'm asking you for your side of the story. Because all the physical evidence, or by physical evidence, I mean the blood, everything else that's on, seeing the video, surveillance, your phone, everything, all of that is telling me that you were the aggressor in this situation. And without knowing the reasoning, we're kind of stuck. And I don't want to picture you as a bad person who would just go out and do something for no reason. I don't think that's the case. I think that there's a reason for what happened. But unfortunately, unless you tell us, walls were stuck with is the facts and what we're looking at.
Speaker 17: And the facts don't make you seem very good.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that he was injured that bad. Yeah, I mean I thought I was more injured than him. I don't I didn't see them get injured.
Speaker 4: I was the one on the ground. He was standing over me.
Speaker 1: Despite the evidence, Jared continued to insist that he had been attacked, not his father, but by an unknown black man. He claimed it confronted him yet again. Detectives challenged this claim immediately. Then the tone in the room shifted. Patients were thin, and this interrogation began to break down completely.
Speaker 5: So here we are back to that.
Speaker 22: When you don't feel asking answering the question, you answer the questions and you have a good dialogue with us.
Speaker 5: But when Jared gets uncomfortable and Jared.
Speaker 9: It's stupid to me, it's not stupid.
Speaker 2: Well, and again you have you have enough evidence to going to make somebody in the hurry to your people listen.
Speaker 9: So what more do you need out of me?
Speaker 5: Let me just look? Yeah, go ahead, I said it before.
Speaker 9: You don't ire No, how do you don't care?
Speaker 5: You don't care?
Speaker 9: Okay, what do you is?
Speaker 19: That's the attitude you take instead of answering the question.
Speaker 5: You laugh. I do not care about this whole situation and the person that you heard.
Speaker 2: Okay, as far as I know, I didn't hurt anyone, So tell him.
Speaker 6: I don't know how holds and care about somebody.
Speaker 4: I don't even know what you heard. You got them with altercations?
Speaker 6: Yes, I that.
Speaker 4: Person did not look injured to me. They walked away like Wally.
Speaker 5: Tell you they are okay.
Speaker 2: Then if they want to pursue charges, then I'll do here.
Speaker 6: I do care.
Speaker 9: I didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't mean to injure them.
Speaker 6: This and just I have no know how did they happen?
Speaker 9: How did you injure them?
Speaker 4: I guess when we were fighting.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I guess I want to hit him.
Speaker 9: I mean he I can tell you.
Speaker 5: The injuries aren't consistent with fighting.
Speaker 9: Did you have a weapon on you? Did you have a.
Speaker 4: Gun with you? I had four guns.
Speaker 21: Did you have any knives with you?
Speaker 4: Maybe the hundred?
Speaker 9: What kind of knights?
Speaker 17: Uh?
Speaker 4: The machetes from.
Speaker 6: The goal.
Speaker 9: Many other women.
Speaker 4: I had a laser four so it support issues the laser. Yeah, it's a new scientific invention.
Speaker 19: Thegan the smush, she said before the smart hell againswers.
Speaker 22: When you're sitting here, I mean if you got away articular, I asked you if you had a woman, and.
Speaker 2: I already answer you sold you know, and then you didn't take my word for you can past as you take over your work for.
Speaker 4: When you lie to us so many there won't take my word for anything. You apparently have an ividence work or do you need it?
Speaker 17: Giving you more and more chances to try and be honest with us?
Speaker 6: And we already told you a live one out of you.
Speaker 8: We want the why?
Speaker 5: Why? Why? What?
Speaker 1: Eventually the detective stepped back. The interview had reached a standstill, but before they left the room, something unexpected happened, something that doesn't happen often during a police interrogation. The suspect freely admitted that much of what he said wasn't true.
Speaker 6: All right, Jared, Right, he's for everything he told me.
Speaker 10: Today's the truth to WoT truth, nothing but the truth be God, no, no, no, I.
Speaker 9: Know'm mine.
Speaker 4: Almost things I said. I told you I was lying.
Speaker 5: Do you want to tell us anything truthful before we go?
Speaker 4: I mean not really.
Speaker 1: Jared delivered this admission calmly and casually, with an unusual confidence. He acknowledged that he had lied, but when detectives left him alone in the interrogation room, his composure didn't hold up. Jared broke down and began sobbing uncontrollably.
Speaker 15: Mm hmm, Hey, I had some noises coming out of here, right, yeah, it's gone.
Speaker 6: It's crying.
Speaker 17: No, no, there's water coming out of your eyes.
Speaker 1: Believing they were on the verge of a breakthrough, the detectives re entered the room. They tried to steady Jared with that big brother, big sister thing they do to reason with him, to guide him towards a full account of what had happened, but in this moment didn't hold.
Speaker 5: I think you're torn jar between taking responsibilities for this and not.
Speaker 4: I, Like I said, I you know, as far as I know why, I didn't do anything. So I'm going to trial.
Speaker 9: You have evident answer and.
Speaker 4: You can get an conviction, and good for you. I'm going to be going to trial, all right.
Speaker 9: That's for luck to you. Good luck to you.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The interrogation finally came to an end. Detectives had challenged Jared, pressed him, confronted him with the inconsistencies and the evidence, but without a clear admission and without enough established probable cause for murder, their options were limited. Jared was booked on a traffic offense, and then he was released after hours inside that interrogation room, after the blood, after the contradictions, Jared walked out of the station a free man. For the moment, there was nothing that law enforcement could do to stop him. On the night of February second, twenty twenty, a white Ford Explorer was pulled over in Delray Beach, Florida. The driver was twenty six year old Jared Noyman. He was calm, cooperative, and covered in blood. Jared offered shifting explanations and was eventually allowed to park his vehicle and walk away. The next morning, about ten miles from that traffic stop, inside a Boca Raton parking garage, a man was found stabbed to death. Detectives recovered a broken knife near his body and a trail of bloody footprints leading away from the scene. The victim was identified as fifty nine year old j Neuman. He was Jared's father. By the time detectives brought Jared in for questioning, they believe the evidence pointed directly at him. Inside the interrogation room, Jared deflected, he contradicted himself. He blamed a stranger he broke down, but without a clear admission and without enough to establish probable cause for murder, Detectives were forced to release him. For a brief time, Jared Neuman was a free man, but then something unexpected happened. The following day, Jared returned to the Boca Ratan Police Department and asked to speak with detectives again.
Speaker 6: He said, you wanted to talk to me? Yeah, what's uh?
Speaker 2: I would just I would like to confess to the murder of my father.
Speaker 6: Okay, I appreciate you coming in and man enough and saying that.
Speaker 1: Jared didn't only return to the police station. He came back to confess to killing his father, and when he began speaking, he gave detectives what they had been trying to uncover since the beginning. Jared told them, why, I think.
Speaker 4: I just had a huge lapse of judgment.
Speaker 9: My dad.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm not trying to make excuses for why I did what I did, because there's no excuse sort. But I was very stressed out and unhappy.
Speaker 23: My dad would constantly disrespect me, and I felt like I was being bullied and harassed. And when I was in jail, in prison and around all these like criminalized people, they'd always talked about how when people do bad things to you. You have to stand up for yourself, and you have to usually, you know, retaliate with violence, and has been so grated into my head that I was consistently on it because it's a basis thinking about violence when people were mean to me and I didn't know how to make them stop otherwise.
Speaker 2: You know, my dad would always call the police on me if I got violent towards him, like physically, and then you know, it just got to a point where I was like, the only way to make.
Speaker 4: His stop is to do this, and.
Speaker 9: I didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't, you know, I didn't know what I was doing.
Speaker 5: I didn't know what he didn't deserve that.
Speaker 4: I just didn't know.
Speaker 2: Like I didn't know what I did until it was it was over and I realized what I did.
Speaker 9: I didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't understand what the hell did I just do?
Speaker 1: Like, as Jared explained why he killed his father, his tone was much different than a day ago. The defiance, the guarded answers were gone and their place was something else, whether it was remorse, guilt, or simply exhaustion. It sounded real.
Speaker 5: I didn't deserve that.
Speaker 23: I mean, it wasn't the nicest person to me, But I don't think he deserved to die like that.
Speaker 4: It was horrible. I mean remember every second of all. If you didn't do that, it just felt like I was pushed too far and I just I just reacted in a bad way.
Speaker 1: After Jared explained why, the detectives turned to the details, asking him to walk them through exactly what had happened between him and his father.
Speaker 10: Does he always sleep outside of the car and you sleep in the car even when it's cold out.
Speaker 2: I mean he usually either takes two blankets or he'll like sleep in this like corridor spot.
Speaker 6: Okay. Where so where was the car park.
Speaker 2: Just like on the first floor, and where was he sleeping at? He was upstairs on like the one of the higher floors.
Speaker 10: Okay, So what happened that let out take me to be likely what happened?
Speaker 2: I mean, nothing really like happened that made that happen. It is just like something i'd been like I just thought of, you know, It's just like kind of just came over me.
Speaker 1: Jared admitted he had been contemplating his father's death for some time, and on a cold February night, he put that thought into motion.
Speaker 6: I know this art it's hard.
Speaker 17: To talk about, but can you tell me exactly what you did to him?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was sleeping and.
Speaker 3: I walked up and I had a knife in my hand, and I think the blanket was over his head and I pulled a blanket off, and I think I started stabbing him in.
Speaker 4: The throat like blood like, you know, telling me to stop like and I didn't you know what I said. No, I didn't know what I was doing at all, you know. And he fell on the.
Speaker 2: Ground as a boy, and you know, I started choking him and I just told him just.
Speaker 4: To go to sleep, you know, to stop fighting. Just go to sleep. I sold him life, to leave his eyes and everything.
Speaker 1: Jared described the attack as sudden, chaotic, and bloody. He stabbed his father repeatedly. There was a brief struggle in the end was overpowered. The assault was so forceful that the blade of the knife eventually snapped from its handle.
Speaker 6: What where'd the knife that you used? How did you get that?
Speaker 3: I bought the Dollar's door that day or earlier that day, Earlier that day, So.
Speaker 6: You went in there and you bought that knife? Did you buy anything else with.
Speaker 4: It at the dollar store?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 23: I bought like a bunch of trash bags and some gloves.
Speaker 10: When you went to the dollar store initially to buy the knife, is that what you were thinking.
Speaker 4: About, Well, that's why I bought the knife via to.
Speaker 17: Kill your dad.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: By jared'sn't account, this killing wasn't spontaneous. He admitted to planning it, and he even admitted to thinking about the better option, which would have been to simply walk away from his father and start over somewhere else.
Speaker 2: And it was hard to decide that to just deal with things.
Speaker 4: But I told myself, you know, like maybe I.
Speaker 2: Just need to work hard and do the right thing and you know, and just like just move out when uh, you know, when the time comes, and then I can buy all.
Speaker 4: My own stuff.
Speaker 24: You know, I don't have to do anything to him and take his stuff, and you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know, like's just something like it's just something.
Speaker 2: For whatever reason, I ended up going back in there and just decided to buy the stuff anyway, and I just put it in the car.
Speaker 1: As Jared continued explaining his reasoning and his thought process, the grievances he described began to feel smaller. He characterized his father as abusive, harsh, controlling, and difficult to live with, But when pressed for specifics, the examples he offered painted a picture that was much less extreme.
Speaker 4: Like in all, honestly, I like I was.
Speaker 2: I was tired of, you know, kind of being like woking up early in.
Speaker 4: The mornings and you know, kind of being stressed out.
Speaker 2: And I made me honest, I thought things like, oh, like, you know, if I kill him, I'll just be able to like take the car and just like be able to sleep, and you know, my life will be better.
Speaker 4: It'll be free, and I won't have to deal with this anymore.
Speaker 2: And stupid shit like that, you know, you know, I you know, I tried everything I knew how to do, and this was the only thing I didn't try, so I thought it was my only option.
Speaker 4: I didn't realize what I was doing.
Speaker 1: Jared and his father were living out of a forward explorer. At night, Jared slept inside the vehicle and his father often slept outside, but Jay had to wake up early for work. When he did, he would wake Jared up as well, start the engine and drive to a painting job. Jared resented that he didn't want to be woken up. He wanted to sleep all day, and over time that resentment deepened into something very dark. Jared saw only one way out for some reason, so he decided to kill his father, and as part of that plan, he even went as far as to dig a shallow grave.
Speaker 2: Actually, I did you know about one am, I went over to the beach and actually tried to dig a hole that I was.
Speaker 4: Going to put his body in. It was right out on the beach by some grass. There's like a huge hole.
Speaker 5: I go, okay, And.
Speaker 6: Was it within view of people the whole Well, it.
Speaker 2: Was you know, dark house sticks though I don't think anyone really saw it, but like by morning, I'm sure they would have seen it.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: After digging a grave on the beach, Jared returned to the parking garage where his father was sleeping. By then, the decision to kill had already been made.
Speaker 10: So after that, where you go once you give up on digging the hole?
Speaker 4: I think I just went straight to him.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 2: I went to the car and I waited a little bit because my.
Speaker 4: Arms were hurting hi from digging the hole.
Speaker 2: And then I just I just was like, you know what, you know, it's time, basically, and I went up and I just kind of did it?
Speaker 10: And when you walked up to him, when you first walked up to him, was it slow or fast?
Speaker 2: Or I think a kind of moved like not like slow slope, but kind of like kind of creeped up on my guess.
Speaker 1: Jared approached his father barefoot, hoping not to wake him. In his hand was the dollar store knife he had purchased earlier. Then Jared struck.
Speaker 10: Do you remember where you hit him with a knife first, right in his neck?
Speaker 6: And he was sleeping when you when that first sat when.
Speaker 10: You first said he was sleeping okay? And did he wake up immediately when that happened?
Speaker 6: Did he say anything to you?
Speaker 10: He told me to stop, okay, did he say anything else?
Speaker 4: I don't think so. I don't remember, well, I don't think so.
Speaker 6: Was there a lot of blood?
Speaker 13: What happened up?
Speaker 17: Do you used to have him the first time?
Speaker 4: He jumped up and was screaming, so he stood up?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, he jumped up really fast and like started trying to fight me off and he was telling me Jared stop, I you know, I said no?
Speaker 10: And did you just stab him the one time? They get back up or did you hit him a.
Speaker 6: Couple of times.
Speaker 4: I hit him a couple of times.
Speaker 10: Do you know if you had to guess how many times would you think that you hit him?
Speaker 2: I don't know exactly what I would say several, So, I mean maybe like I couldn't even count at least four or five.
Speaker 10: Four or five times stabbed him and it was that when it was all in the neck area, or I think so, yeah, Okay.
Speaker 1: An autopsy later determined that Jay Norman had been stabbed twenty seven times, and the wounds were not confined to his neck. They were spread across his body.
Speaker 6: So it got dropped.
Speaker 2: No, the knife broke, Oh it broke, yeah, and uh so the pieces just fell over.
Speaker 10: When that first time when you stabbed him a couple of times, when did where did the other stabs come?
Speaker 2: If the knife broke, I actually stabbed him a couple of times with the broken knife.
Speaker 6: With the broken knife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like a little piece left, but I kept stabbing him.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 1: During the attack, Jay tried to fight off his son. Defensive wounds on his body confirmed there had been a struggle, but in the end, Jared, the son, overpowered the father.
Speaker 6: And then what happens now that you're both standing.
Speaker 4: For so many mechanics.
Speaker 2: I remember this part, but at some point we both ended up on the ground and I was on top of him choking.
Speaker 6: Him, and then what happens and just kept.
Speaker 2: Telling go to sleep, And so I don't remember everything I said. I just remember saying that he was very cruel to me.
Speaker 24: And you know, I think I remember I said I didn't want to do this.
Speaker 4: To him, and that it was that I said.
Speaker 24: He was very cruel to me, and I probably said a couple other things, but I don't remember what that was really until passed away.
Speaker 1: Jane Norman's final moments were violent and horrific. While bleeding out from more than two dozen stab wounds, the last thing he saw was his own son choking him to death. Burn that image into the back of your retna. Imagine seeing your own son choking the life out of you.
Speaker 6: How did you know that he was dead?
Speaker 4: I saw the life of his eyes.
Speaker 17: Okay, did you see him breathing at all?
Speaker 2: It's not like he was breathing, but like his body was like reacting, like like it was like trying to have air or something. I kept I thought, I thought, maybe it's still alive. So I kept like forcing his windpipe down. And but then I realized, like when I took my hands off, it was just his body like doing something, that he was dead, and like I took my hands off and like a huge amount of hair like sucked into him.
Speaker 4: I got off with him.
Speaker 1: After killing his father, Jared abandoned his plan to move the body to the beach. It was a pretty fucking dumb plan to begin with, because a lot of people like to go to the beach. It's a very populated area, so probably not a great place to bury a body. And again this homeless city, it was a homeless city. So he simply fled the scene, leaving Jay where he had fallen. Evidence and all the crime would not be discovered until the following morning, but that was soon enough.
Speaker 2: I tried to use the trash bag, but then I just like I saw across the apartment that there was a light on, and I didn't know if I was being washed or something.
Speaker 4: So I got really scared and I just said, oh, I can't be here or something like that. And then I got.
Speaker 2: In in the in the car and just you know, I took these keys and I got in the car and just took off immediately and then yeah, and then I just started heading north and then that's when the del Rey police stopped me and saw the blood all over me.
Speaker 7: Hey, there amongst us was the reason why I pulled you over.
Speaker 5: You know't have any lights on? Are you okay, bod?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just had a movie.
Speaker 5: Are you sure you don't need paramatics or anything.
Speaker 1: After pulling Jared over and finding him covered in blood, Delray Beach police allowed him to walk away. He wouldn't be arrested or questioned about his father's death until after Jay's body was discovered. During that initial interview, Jared lied repeatedly as detectives pressed him for the truth and tried to uncover a motive. But the following day, he returned to the police station, and this time he explained why he did it.
Speaker 6: You're upset because he wanted to wait here up in the morning.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, yeah, yeah, yeah, Like I just I didn't want to get up.
Speaker 2: Like he was saying, like you know that, you know, he needs to go to work and stuff.
Speaker 4: He was, oh right, he was.
Speaker 2: Talking about like okay, well if you don't want to get woken up, just sleep outside, you know, and you take the blankets I said, no, I.
Speaker 4: Can't do that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I said it's too cold, I can't do it.
Speaker 2: And then he said, you know, I don't know how God at this point really.
Speaker 4: Was for some reason. He said, you know, what would you make your happy?
Speaker 2: Bodes left outside, and I just said yeah.
Speaker 1: This confession eventually ended and detectives left the room. Jared remained seated at the table. The camera is still recording alone in the interrogation room. He began to speak out loud, not to the detectives but to his father after.
Speaker 11: Hearing all that, I'm sure you very furious. I don't have an excuse, so I saw then I don't know. Sure, you're very angry. He can be mad at me. I did what's wrong and stupid. I should never did that. I have to forget me. It was wrong, very wrong. I turned myself in, Okay.
Speaker 4: So I'm trying to do what I can do. May come before you, though, I can make joy.
Speaker 23: I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: I was so sick.
Speaker 1: A short time later, Jared was escorted out of the interrogation room and formally booked on murder charges.
Speaker 20: Twenty six year old Jared Neuman is now charged with first degree murder after the police say he turned himself into day and confessed to murdering his father in this parking garage Monday morning. Police also say surveillance video identified Neyman as a suspect. Police say Noyman confessed to stabbing and strangling his father as he slept because he did not like the way his father treated him. Neuman remains in jail for premeditated first degree murder with no bond. He's scheduled to appear in court Thursday morning.
Speaker 1: After his arrest, Jared's legal battle began. Any remorse he had expressed during his confession faded away as he entered a plea not guilty, much like any sympathy you may have had for him should have faded away after learning that this manipulative sociopath murdered his own father, admitted to it, and rather than accept responsibility and take punishment, he pleads not guilty because why not waste a bunch of taxpayer money. Also at trial, Jared claimed he had killed his father in self defense. That claim unraveled during cross examination.
Speaker 5: Your statement on the polices so different than it is today, right a little bit?
Speaker 13: Well, now you're saying you bought a knife or self defense, right, so you can kill your father in self defense?
Speaker 5: What you bought the knife?
Speaker 6: I wanted to protect myself, yes, So.
Speaker 4: You planned out this self defense where you were.
Speaker 13: Purchasing a knife in anticipation of self if I needed to, Yeah, and you bought trash bags and self dedaia I did.
Speaker 18: Well, no was thinking it, but if that happened, I would like I was like stupid, and I was thinking there was.
Speaker 5: Like a way to like hide this body, but it wasn't right.
Speaker 13: You're gonna hide a body in self defense too, that's part.
Speaker 5: Of the play.
Speaker 18: Well, if I kill somebody's self defense, I don't want like, you know, you gotta hide this body somewhere, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it seemed like I did your.
Speaker 13: Bod gloves to defend yourself as well.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, I didn't want to leave fingerprints.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 5: You don't want to get caught when you killed when you killed them in self defense, right, right? You donne a whole of the beach in self defense. Right?
Speaker 18: That was like stupid, but I guess yeah, I was like thinking, uh that I could have buried him, but I didn't.
Speaker 4: I wasn't able to do that.
Speaker 1: During the trial, prosecutors argued that Jared's claim of self defense was a lot because it was a story constructed after the fact to avoid responsibility. They told jurors the evidence showed something much more deliberate. Jared had grown resentful of his father, planned the killing meticulously, and then carried it out.
Speaker 13: Hours upon hours of conversations with police officers, telling them what happened in all these lives?
Speaker 17: Right?
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, and.
Speaker 13: The first time you came up with this story was today, five years after you murdered your father.
Speaker 4: Right, I just might have said it differently.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, when did you.
Speaker 9: Make up the story about what you just When did it.
Speaker 18: Come to you in your mind to make up the story. It's not a story I made up. I mean, I was just not telling the police everything.
Speaker 9: Feel like you're dead? No, right?
Speaker 4: Hated you dead, maybe a little bit.
Speaker 1: Prosecutors also emphasized a critical detail. When Jay Noyman was attacked, he was asleep. They argued that fact alone undermined any claim of self defense. You can't get attacked by someone who unconscious. Didn't we learn that from the door dash girl?
Speaker 5: When you stabbed him with the knife, he wasn't awake.
Speaker 13: Right, yes, eyes were closed, yes, and you took off your shoes so that he wouldn't hear.
Speaker 5: You coming right, yes, And do you remember telling the police that.
Speaker 9: He told you stop? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I remember that, yeah, right, and you didn't stop.
Speaker 22: No.
Speaker 13: You stabbed them multiple times, yes, some of them to his back.
Speaker 5: Because I'm back. When you stabbed someone in.
Speaker 4: The back, that's not self defense, right, If.
Speaker 18: You were trying to defend yourself and you had to like keep hitting them, maybe hit them in the back by accident.
Speaker 5: Defend yourself from a sleeping man?
Speaker 18: Uh no, No, but I mean if it was like situation where somebody.
Speaker 13: Was doing defended yourself from a person that's asleep on the ground.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: Unsurprisingly, the jury sided with prosecutters and returned to guilty verdict. Jared was convicted of first degree murder and sentenced to life in prison for killing his father.
Speaker 5: What happened to your dad that things kind of spiral?
Speaker 9: Then you and him are living out of his truck together. Did he just have a bad turn of events? Business went bad?
Speaker 21: What was the You can ask him, But that's kind of They're going from having a business and a condo and that to you guys living out of the same truck.
Speaker 9: It's kind of.
Speaker 4: That's that's his problem.
Speaker 9: I'm saying it's a problem.
Speaker 21: I'm just curious as to did he mismanage his money, did someone take advantage of him drugs with alcohol, bad luck?
Speaker 4: I'm not that involved.
Speaker 1: It's unclear how or why j Noyman ultimately found himself living out of a Ford Explorer with his son. What we do know was that life inside that vehicle wasn't easy for either of them. Living in such close quarters is hard. The space is small, the privacy nonexistent. Every little frustration lingers a bit longer when there's nowhere to escape it. By all accounts, Jay was trying to make it work. Friends had offered him a place to stay away out, but he refused. He knew his son was struggling and he didn't want to leave him alone. At the same time, Jay understood that Jared could be violent and volatile. Moving his son into a friend's home simply wasn't an option, so Jay chose another path. He continued living out of his vehicle alongside his son. That kind of loyalty is difficult to measure. It's the quiet, stubborn kind of love that doesn't disappear when things get messy, the kind that stays, even when staying is the hardest thing on earth. Jay chose to remain with his son. Tragically, his son chose something else. In the end. This wasn't a crime born of imminent danger or desperate survival. It was a calculated decision rooted in resentment, in small grievances that were allowed to grow unchecked, dealt with by an emotionally immature idiot. Jay Neuman stayed with his child when others might have walked away, and that choice cost him his life. Some people spend their entire life searching for unconditional love. J Noyman died by giving it. Well, that does it for another tragedy. I don't know why you guys listen to this stuff, but I guess it's nothing new. I mean, the Greeks loved their tragedy, right, So not much has changed in thousands of years. I don't suspect much will change in thousands of years. So until next week, stay safe, usual
Speaker 5: Begining coming completely authentic at prop