Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, and welcome to a brand new episode of Second Take Cinema, coming at you from the glorious Simpala Film's headquarters in sunny South End on Sea. I am your host, Jamie Evans, joined as always by mister Rory Jocelyn Well. Hello, and today we are going back to the Year of Our Lord nineteen ninety two for a film with a stacked cast including al Pacino, Jack Lemon and Alec Baldwin. Ladies and gentlemen, we are giving a second take to nineteen ninety two's Glen Garry Glenn Ross. Glengarry Glen Ross is a nineteen ninety two American black comedy drama film directed by James Foley and written by David Mammott, based on his nineteen eighty four Pulett Surprise winning play. It stars Al Pacino, Jack Lemon, Alec Baldwin, Ed Harris, Alan Arkin, Kevin Spacey, and Jonathan Price. It was made for a budget of twelve point five million dollars, but sadly post only ten point seven million dollars, later becoming a cult classic on home video release. The film holds a ninety five percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on fifty six different reviews, with the site's critical consensus reading this adaptation of David Mammett's play is every bit as compelling and witty as its source material, thanks in large part to a clever script and a bevy of powerhouse actors. Owen Glieberman, in his review for Entertainment Weekly, gave the film an A rating, praising Lemon's performance as a revelation and describing his character as the weasley soul of Glengarry Glen Ross Willie Lowman turned into a one liner. In his review for the Chicago Sun Times, Roger Ebert wrote, Mammeett's dialogue has a kind of logic, a cadence that allows people to arrive in triumph at the end of sentences we could not possibly have imagined. There is great energy in it. You can see the joy with which these actors get their teeth into these great lines after living through movies in which flat dialogue serves only to advance the story. In the Chicago reader Jonathan Rosenbaum lorded Foley for his excellent feeling for the driven and haunted jive rhythms of David Mammett, macho invective and all and called the film a superb nineteen ninety two delivery of Mammett's tor Deforce theater piece. The Chicago Tribune's David care hedged his praise, writing that the film was a well written, well staged, and well acted piece, though there is something musty in its esthetic, that of the huge bellowing method performance plastered over a flimsy one set. World Newsweek's Jack Croll observed Baldwin is sleekly sinister in the role of Blake, a troubleshooter called in to shake up the salesman. He shakes them up, alright. But this character, not in the original play, also shakes up the movie's toned balance with his sheer noise and scatter logical fury, scatological.
Speaker 2: That's a word in it, Jesus, I'm guessing it doesn't mean scatters in fucal, that's no no.
Speaker 1: In his review for Time Magazine, Richard Korlis wrote, a peerless ensemble of actors fills Glengary glen Ross with audible glears and shudders. The play was zippy black comedy about predators in Twilight. The movie as a photo essay shot in more close up about the difficulty most people have convincing themselves that what they do matters. However, Gessen Howe's review in The Washington Post criticized Foley's direction, writing that it doesn't add much more than the street between. If his intention is to create a sense of claustrophobia, he also creates the presumably unwanted effect of a sound stage. There is no evidence of life outside the immediate world of the movie. Interesting because that is actually one of my points. Okay, well, let's move on then. So this film was added to the list by your good self, Rory Jocelyn. Do you want to tell the audience about the first time you saw Glengarry glen Ross? So I was.
Speaker 2: This would have been late two thousand's. I was in involved in a theater group, local androm theater group called Lindasvhan all Lindis fan players, I think they were called.
Speaker 1: At the time.
Speaker 2: We had done a film, a play called Steel Magnolias, and we were going to go on to do basically a duet film of plays, one which was an all female cast, the aforementioned Still Magnolias, and then a play that was normal male cast. Initially I wanted I pitched that we did Twelve Angry Men, but we couldn't do Twelve Angry Men because it was currently doing a stage. It was currently in London, so it was playing in London in the UK at the time, and Robert Vaughan was playing Dura number nine in that play, and we actually went and watched. It was a really cool production because they actually put the stage on a revolving platform, so as the play goes on, you get to see everyone's face and back as the platform rotates around with the table on it, which was a really cool way of doing it. But anyway, yeah, so we decided that we couldn't do that play. We'd do Glen Garry Glen Ross instead, because it is again an all male cast. We ended up not doing the Blake section because it wasn't part of the original play anyway, and that makes it a little iffy on the right side if you buy the rights for the play and then add stuff to it. So, yeah, it was an interesting play. I was involved in the behind the scenes of that one more than I was. I wasn't a performer on it, but as part of that we watched the film. The film is the script is amazing I have to say I'm a big fan. I haven't seen a lot of Mannett's work, but based on this, I'm a very big fan of how this script is. It's very it's very strong as the people as people you read out state, the lines really hit not necessarily fully naturalistic, but everyone gets kind of a moment, which is really great for an actor and for a performance. And also I kind of fell in love with the way that this film is shot. There's certain elements of this film that I think work really really well. We'll get to those as we go through the film, and the performances are very good. So, yeah, that was the first time i'd seen it. What was your first time seeing this film?
Speaker 1: This time? I've never seen it before. I had read the play as part of a me and a couple of friends, previous guests on the show, Benton and Dave. We just were getting together every now and again to read a play just for shits and giggles. We did on Calvanya as well, right, Okay, but yeah, we did Glenn Garry Glen Ross, and we swapped out all the parts and things. I played Roma at one point, nice and then I think I also got to play Shelley for a little bit as well, But it was just it wasn't for any reason. It was just the three of us hanging out. We did talk about wanting to try and put it on at some point, but without a company behind you, it's incredibly difficult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you have to pay for the licensing rights first. Then you have to pay for a studio space like a rehearsal space. If you're not going to use someone's else, then you have to play for the actual performance space. So yeah, even androm at the moment in this country is really struggling as well well. Because of that, costs are going up, but people amount of people going to theater to watch amateur dramatics is going down because access to content.
Speaker 1: Is just so much higher. But no, I enjoyed the play. Mammot has a very unique style of writing that is very much his own, and it's there in a lot of Mammot plays. Yeah, he likes a lot of profanity. Yeah, and he likes a lot of But I think the profanity is well used. Yeah, it's not. It's us.
Speaker 2: It's used to sort of emphasize stuff properly, not like say Sarah Kane, Sarah Kane wrote place like blasted, for example in the nineties, and it was just they used the F word and can we use the falsewear words? In the show she used to use words fucking cunt in almost every single line of dialogue to the point where it became meaningless. This doesn't do that. Whenever they you got the memory of a fucking fly, you know, things like that. It's the words emphasize ye.
Speaker 1: And he writes very snappy dialogue that works very well on stage. And it's not that it doesn't work in the film, it's that it gives the film a certain stagey feel mostly around and it's the one character's name I can't remember, is it arowhak Oh? What Alan Arkin? It's George Arron Now Aaron Now. I know it had error in it.
Speaker 2: It is a weird name, Aaron Now, I've never heard it before accepting his player.
Speaker 1: It's mainly around Alan Arkins's character Aaron Now who he doesn't really swear. No, no, he doesn't swear. What I mean is the word stilted dialogue where there's lots of times, at least once with Ed Harrison, another time when he's talking to al Pacino where the deal is that Aaron now never finishes a sentence and he just repeats what the other person is saying back to him. Oh it works. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but but so we might as well just get into it. So I like this film. I enjoyed it. I actually watched it twice because the first time I watched it I was not in a very good frame of mind. And although I watched the whole film, a little bit of me was like, I think I need to watch this again just to absorb it. But I will say it's even if you didn't know beforehand, I think you would watch this and go, oh, this was a play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like a play. Yeah, it doesn't really conceal that. It's a little bit like The Sunset Limited.
Speaker 1: You I was just about to say that, yeah, yeah, it's very much like another film you showed me based on a play, which is The Sunset Limited. It has that exact same feel, exactly like that reviewer said, you don't believe there's a world outside of what's happening on the screen. Would you say the same for Twelve Angry Men, which likewise was based on a play. No, I don't think Twelve Angry Men fell into that trap in a weird way, whereas the other two do.
Speaker 2: I think what it is is where you are in the building. For twelve Angry Men, there isn't much to see outside in the real world, and you do have the windows. The windows aren't covered, so you see the outside world as time changes, as it starts to rain, things like that, which gives you the impression of a real world. Plus you also have the guy who brings in pieces of evidence, who, even though he's not really a main character, he is basically an extra, or a glorified extra. It is someone outside of your main twelve who pops in and out, and weirdly enough, technically Glengarry glen Ross has the ability to have more of that because certainly in the first half, Roma and his Mark who's trying to sell to Link, are in the Chinese bar across the street, and in that bar, certainly in the first scene there's quite a few other patrons, so you had a better opportunity than you had in Twelve Angry Men to have a slightly more livable world with more people in it, at least is extras.
Speaker 1: In the back. Shelly even goes out on a call. Yes, he does sit as they call it, Yes, and yet somehow it still feels stagy in a way.
Speaker 2: I don't know why that is on the set because he's so isolated from everyone else. All the street shots as well, there's never any extras, so, which is kind of interesting because you'd think there would be, like when they crossed the street both times, or the two or three times they do it. I don't recall there being any extras walking up or down the street. And also when Shelley's in the phone booth while he's out on the set, you never see anyone walk past the phone booth, which makes it feel like a vignette more than an actual scene in a movie.
Speaker 1: And it's that combined with the dialogue. Like the way Mammock writes is very stagy because he is a predominantly a stage writer, and it has that sort of musical rhythm that you're used to in stage plays. Yeah, apparently, which isn't bad.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's for this film or for another one, but David Mammott he or at least in one of his films, he wrote it with a metronome so that the rhythm was really exact and you had to perform to the rhythm of the metronome so that it had this like everything hit on time and on beat, which is a really cool way of doing it. You know, I haven't seen that other film, but this film doesn't. This film is never boring. It's mate of the fact that it's mostly men sitting around talking. I counted it the Alec Baldwin scene, which is added just for the film that was not in the players mentioned before. That starts at eight minutes thirty. It finishes at sixteen minutes in so it's a seven and a half minute scene with three guys sat down. Kevin Spacey just stood in the background basically as an extra for that scene, and Alec Baldwin just shouting at people. And that's it for seven and a half minute straight and it doesn't lose you.
Speaker 1: It's never boring.
Speaker 2: It's gripping, which again to me shows that modern filmmaking ideology is probably not right because there are a lot of films like this where that scene can hold it.
Speaker 1: And I think that would hold for most people.
Speaker 2: Shown that scene to a lot of people when I worked in sales, which will come to it in a bit and also, outside of working in sales, I've never seen anyone get bored watching that scene, regardless of the fact whether or not they really are into film or not. So modern filmmakings suggests that you should do a scene for a very short period of time and then quickly move on. I don't think that's right. This film is way more engaging than say Your Man of Steals, et cetera, which man still feels like it's built to that modern aesthetic where it's like, well, this film, this scene has already been two minutes long. It's already over loong. Let's trim it and then fuck off. So nothing ever sits this. Everything sits. The performances obviously help as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean this is a stacked cast. Yeah, Like everyone in this is like one of the greatest actors of the twentieth century. Yeah, like al Pacino before he degraded into his weird phase, Yeah, where he was just screaming every line. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Jack Lemon, even though he was in his twilight years, was still doing great, and this is one of his greatest performances from that era.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I would say he's I think he's probably the best in the film, which is which is hard to say because they're all good. But I think Jack Lemon is the one that makes the film personally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the heart of the film realistically. Whether or not you think he's a good character is a different question. His performance really anchors the film into its meat and potatoes.
Speaker 1: Roma is the.
Speaker 2: Smooth, buttery guy who really is all about the lion the double speak. So is Levine played by played by Jack Lemon. But he's the guy with everything to.
Speaker 1: Lose, and he's the guy who is outdated. Now. His sales techniques are all old hats. Yes, so that's the thing. Actually, he's a terrible salesman. Yeah, but he was a good salesman at one point in time, he says. Well, yeah, he says, but we are given reason to assume because we know he was the top salesman for several months out of the year under Roma. No, he says, at one point he was number one on the board. No, he says he was above Oh I thought he said he was top. No, he said he was above Moss.
Speaker 2: Oh I see, yeah, But he does, to be fair, he does mention that Mitch and Murray, I think the name of the guys around the company are you never see them came to him and were like, hey, you bought me that car with all your sales, Shelley, So yeah, that's suppose. There is the problem is all of his techniques are outdated now because time has moved on past him and he's still trying to sell in that cheesy, hey I'm here to save you money type way. He's a snake oil salesman out of time. So that's that whole thing of you, well this or heal all your ears.
Speaker 1: He's kind of that because you call someone up and he'll be like, uh, well, I've just been flown in from out of town and I've got one of these parcels and you've or he does this other one where it's like you've won our sales contest and things like that. It's like, no one fucking wants to talk about this ship.
Speaker 2: Like, as soon as you go he you've won our sales contest for this season, and you've gone, I've not signed up to sales contest. Clearly this is ship, Yeah, and you just hang straight the hell up. He's not realized that that probably worked when it first came in, yeah, because no one knew it was a scam. Yeah, now everyone knows it's a scam.
Speaker 1: Whereas Ricky Roma is doing that more modern way of selling where he doesn't try and actually sell you the product. No, he sells you the lifestyle. Yeah, and that's the thing with Link.
Speaker 2: We'll get to Roma in a little bit, I think, because we've got to talk very specifically.
Speaker 1: The cast. First. Ed Harris is great, probably the least impressive of the cast, just in the sense, Yeah, this is this is like the typical Ed Harris role that you've seen him do a bunch of times. It's still good. It's great at doing it. Alan Arkin, I want to shout out Alan Arkin because he actually died last year. Yeah. I'm actually a big Alan Arkin fan. He's a very good actor. He's a brilliant actor who is underrated in this day and age. Yeah, definitely in his older years. I've actually got an earlier film of his from the sixties with Audrey Hepburn in it called Wait Until Dark. It's a cool little thriller, so it's kind of Audrey Hepburn's a little bit older in it, and she plays a blind woman who lives alone, and Alan Arkin is a burglar who breaks into her house interesting, and the whole film is set in the house and she's blind and he's like a murderous burglar.
Speaker 2: That's interesting, I know. So he's also just before he died as well, he was in a series on Netflix.
Speaker 1: With great show and it's you really miss him in the last season yea.
Speaker 2: And it's understandable they couldn't bring him back in the last season because he passed away.
Speaker 1: He hadn't passed away.
Speaker 2: But I think I'm guessing he was ill. I think he was ill and on his way out. But his character, again very different to Aaron Now in this. His character in the Cominsky Method is sharp, he's razor tongued, he's you know, he's a complete bastard.
Speaker 1: He's in Little Miss Sunshine as well. He's good. I haven't seen that yet. That's good. That's him. That's a powerhouse cast as well. It's him, Paul Dano and Steve Correll, right, okay. And I think the little girl is Abigail Breslin, and I think the mum is Tony Collette, So they're all like great actors. Steve Carell plays the uncle and he's like suicidal and keeps trying to kill himself. It's the way Steve Correll, but it is dark funny. It's not half funny. It's that sort of uncomfortable laughter where it's like, oh, if this wasn't Steve Correll, this would be horrifying. Yeah, but yeah, Alan Arkins great. Kevin Spacey is just I know nowadays even more so because it turns out he's a bad bad man. But even before we knew that, you so badly want to punch him in this film, I love the big yeah right near the end. So spoiler alert, I'm just gonna say now, spoiler this is one of the few films where actually, if you haven't seen it, you should turn the episode off and go watch it. Yeah, because I'm about to give away the twist at the end, the subtle but very their joy on his face. Yeah, when he reveals to Shelley that the sale that's going to save Shelley's career is his bollocks, that it's because he's chewing gum, isn't he ego? They just like talking to say it?
Speaker 2: So can we talk about that? Because each what's great about this story as a play but also as a film is each of these salesmen are competent or incompetent in their own way. They each have a story arc, and that story arc sometimes connects to the other characters, and you get a lot about them as salesmen or about who they are in the terms of Williamson played by Kevin Spacey, based on what happens and who they interact with. So Roma he's a slick guy. He's selling the lifestyle. He's a bit of a bullshit merchant. Again, we'll come to him in a minute. We've talked about Shelley Levine. He is a guy who was a great salesman he picked, but he's been slow to change or hasn't changed his sales pattern, and he's now become a failing fool because he can't Actually he's not progressed. He needs to be more like Roma, but he's so fixated on the old ways will work, and he just needs to give it enough time to make them work, but it won't. He needs to move on. So he's not a good salesman anymore because of his arrogance with So and his connection in this really with Williamson is the interesting one because Williamson, when they first get given the task that they have to sell the most or be fired. He immediately goes to Williamson to try and bribe him into giving him some of the new Glengarry Leeds. Williamson's answer is, you've got the same chance as everybody else, because basically he's given the same tract to everybody. Now, over the course of the story, Williamson actually gives away that he doesn't give an equal amount of Director w eevery won and actually Levine's poor sales pattern is one issue, but it is very likely Williamson has been fucking him over from the top all along, because he makes out he's given him two. One of those is someone that basically goes and Williamson just know this. The guy goes, we filled up one form and now we've been accosted for ages. I don't want to sell. So that's the guy he goes out in the sit with. He then goes out on the second sit to get to the Nyborgs, makes the sale, and spends the second half of the film gloating about his amazing Nyborg sale. And then right at the end Williamson, as you say, reveals the dares the information. Yeah, if it sticks, it will be a miracle. They're nuts. Did you see the way they were living? They just and he says he knew them from a previous job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a memo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just like talking to salesman. And it's like, well, then you gave him those two leads knowing he could never ever sell them. He was working Levine to basically to failure.
Speaker 1: We even see that before that because in the scene I noted this down specifically as a possibly a suggestion about how capitalism changes the work. Work changes the goalposts all the time. When Shelley is begging him to give him some of the Glengarry leads, Kevin Spacey, you know, he keeps changing the deal. Yes he does, Yes, so he'll agree with Shelley ever going to agree to the deal.
Speaker 2: He's just he keeps on just pulling to see how far he's toying with Shelley.
Speaker 1: And it's partly because he's enjoying it. You can see it because he's enjoying it, and it's also because he's spineless. So Kevin Spacey's character is typical middle management. He has no actual power in the grand scheme of things.
Speaker 2: And he has no talent either, has shown at the end when he sucks over Roma's last sale.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the little bit of power that he does have he enjoys exploiting. Yes, so he and he's not a brave man, so he will never go against Mitch and Murray and give away the Glengarry leads. He won't do that. You can see that in the fact that he had and this is something that is added to the film and obviously isn't in the play. The fact he has to bring Alec Baldwin in to give them a talking to. Yeah, that shows that. Yeah, why isn't Williamson being the one because he just stands there impotently through that whole speech, doesn't.
Speaker 2: He Yeah, as I say, he's essentially you've hired Kevin Spacey in that scene as an extra. Yeah, because he doesn't really have any words at what I think. Right at the end, he takes the Glengarry leeds off of Alec Baldwin and then walks into the office with no dialogue. That should have been a Williamson talk. But the reason it isn't is because, as you say, Williamson is spineless.
Speaker 1: So he keeps saying he'll break the rules, and he's like, okay, I'll give him you, but I want twenty percent of your sale. Then it becomes twenty percent and fifty quid, then it becomes fifty quid, then it becomes I want the fifty dollars now, yes, that's one hundred dollars each, because it's fifty dollars each. Yeah, and that I love the way he changes. He goes fifty. He just keeps looking and goes, what one hundred dollars fifty dollars.
Speaker 2: It's oh, I don't have it right now. Oh I'm sorry, I can't do it. Shelley immediately turns to I ken do it. It can't be done, like you were just selling them you And that's a fantastic which in a way he is a good salesman. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And that's a fantastic bit of acting from Jack Lemon. The absolute despair when he says, I don't have it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't have it. I've got thirty dollars. It will have to do. Let's do something. Yeah, that is heartbreaking. Like I said, Jack Lemon, I think is the emotional core of the film. I just want to say, because we skipped him and we shouldn't have done. I also want to shout Jonathan Price is a great performance from Jonathan Brice, fantastic, much like Aaron Arkin is another actor I think is underappreciated in his time. Yeah, definitely. I've never seen him be bad in anything. He was the high Sparrow on Game of Thrones. He was fantastic. Yes, he's the only one in this cast who was a previous Oh no, no, Kevin Spacey has never been a Bond villain. I think he's the only Bond villain. He's the only Bond villain. He's from Tomorrow, never dies where he Let's be honest. He played Rupert Murdoch. Yeah, well that is the point that I think the cat is actually called Elliott Carver, but he's Rupert Murdock. Who that character is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, he does very well. So the other one I want to talk about as well is Moss, played by Harris. His character ironically, he's basically the second best seller in the in the place at the moment, because that's noted by Williamson when he's trying to downplay Shelley's sales pitch. So it's who's under who's under? Romos Moss, fucking Mass. Moss is actually a very good salesman as well, but he wastes the whole night rather than making an actual sale. He spends the whole night selling the crime instead of the real estate. Yeah, and moaning that life's not fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he's he's actively trying to make it less fair by not playing the game, by not making the sale.
Speaker 2: Instead, he tries. He spends most of the evening that we see him selling Aaron out on doing the crime.
Speaker 1: Because and we'll go on to this at the end. My main nugget is this is actually a film about cowardice. Yeah, the cowardice and I relevance or the sense of irrelevant. He is not brave enough to do the crime himself, No, he wants Aaron Ow to do it. And then when he can't get Aaron Now, he ends up roping Shelley into it.
Speaker 2: Yes, but we don't see him rope Shelley into it. We only find that out at the end. The thing I find interesting is he basically does kind of wrap Aaron Ow into doing it in as far as the scenes go. Obviously, it's designed that way so that you think Aaron Now is the one who robbed the office. And then the twist is that he didn't, but he's not wrong now that he's by the end of his dire tribe to Aaron Now, he says, well, look if I get arrest, if I do it and I get arrested, they're gonna ask whom my accomplices were, and I'm gonna name you. Why were you're an accessory before the fact?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: Because you listened. And it's the danger of listening to people like Moss, people who sell this real estate shit, this sales patter. The danger of listening is they might find a way to talk you into a loophole that you're now trapped within. Because he essentially does he could say, Aaron now because Aaron Al didn't tell Williamson, and it doesn't show that Aaron Al told the cops that.
Speaker 1: Moss was in on it either, and he said he wouldn't. Aaron said he wouldn't sell anyone out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he got into say that first before he then told him basically, I fux you over either way. So yeah, it's interesting that Roma spends his night doing the sale and makes a legit sale. Lavigne spends his time trying to bribe Williamson and fails makes a sale, but the sale won't stick because Williamson has been acting against him. Roma sorry, must spends his night selling the crime and because he's a good salesman, gets the crime. Also, one thing that did confuse me with this, because it might be difendwe in American companies and British companies, what real estate place is open at night doing sale?
Speaker 1: They're all working overtime because their jobs are on the line. But who answers phone calls? Like if a salesman rang me at ten o'clock at night, I'd be like, look, turns about that guy's house at night. I wouldn't even that. That guy's way more polite than I'd be. I'd literally shut the door in his face, like fuck off.
Speaker 2: That may be a difference in American culture. We also don't know what time it is there, because it could be that it's a winter time because it is raining, so it kind of darkerly. Yeah, so it could have been like three pm when it got dark. But I do see your point. It does seem a little bit weird that people are still answering the calls at night, but I suppose that's kind of also the point. The people that they've got left to contact are so desperate to talk to salesmen that they will talk at night. The Nyborgs would pick up the phone because they just like talking to cells.
Speaker 1: And is that a thing that husband and wife have to sign at the same time, So does that mean they can't sell land to single people.
Speaker 2: It might be if it's signed as a marriage thing, then they both have to sign, because he did say it was his wife, so it could be that she's gone, oh, I'd like to sign up for some property. But in order to sign for the property, both of them need to sign because it essentially both of them are then legally obligated to the debt. So that leads us with Willia with Roma, who we did say with come back to Roma. Sales pattern is very interesting in that, as you say, he's not selling the property, he's selling the lifestyle, and he's also selling the freedom. He's selling the American dream. You get to choose what you want. You can do whatever you want, you can say whatever you want. This is a safe space where you can say.
Speaker 1: And act however you want. And you know what, you're the big fucking guy. Because again we'll come to this in a minute.
Speaker 2: I'm sure this film is all about toxic masculinity to some level, and part of that is built into romas sales pitch. He sells link Jonathan Price on the idea that even though he knows Jonathan Price is a weak willed man, by the way that he talks and responds, he's gonna build up. Look you can do this, fuck it, you're the man. You get away with it. You're the you know, you're the big guy. It's almost that Andrew Taint mentality in a way in which it's kind of like it builds up the masculinity in a toxic sense by basically going, look, you're the man, you do what the fuck you want you And the sales patter is in here. He says you fuck little girls, so be it.
Speaker 1: Yeah that was so weird. Yeah that was such a weird line.
Speaker 2: I was like what and he's he has the line you think there's an absolute morality, think what you like, but fuck that. Basically it's no, there is no absolute morality. What is correct is what you do, and you choose if it's correct, which is why he goes through that sales patter in that fashion.
Speaker 1: It's quite clever because it's psychological sales rather than you know, just would you like some land please?
Speaker 2: It's giving, it's trying to build link up as this real you know, he's the math well because.
Speaker 1: He's deliberately picking on a weak man. Yeah, of course he is.
Speaker 2: But that's also when it goes wrong, because the weak man goes home and his wife then talks him out of it and basically basically goes, no, you've got to have it and also get in there.
Speaker 1: And when he comes back, he's like, and this is why Jonathan Price does do such a good job in there. Yes, he does. Like you feel his desperation and you feel that he is this guy he's torn, trapped between what his wife is saying and what he really wants to do and what Ricky's saying.
Speaker 2: He's torn between two strong personalities and he's a weak one. Yeah, and so he apologizes, obviously apologized to his wife all night long, and then he comes into the office and he spends the whole time apologizing to Roma for hav Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love when Roma starts trying to talk me into it, and he's just like, I can't. I'm not allowed to. I'm not allowed to.
Speaker 2: Wife will always override, and he's like yeah, and it's like who says, who says you're not allowed to negotiate?
Speaker 1: You know, it's trying to chip away at the wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but in the case of Link, the wife is probably a good This is because it's they spent the whole night basically saying, you do what you want. You know, let's be honest. Fuck that bitch, you do what you want. And then in the end she's like, you've just been conned by this idiot.
Speaker 1: This is the only the only woman in the film who doesn't. So the only woman who physically appears is the waitress. Yeah, but the only woman who of any consequence is Link's wife, who never appears on screen. But you feel it and it is represented as I say, as you've said as well. There's a whole toxic masculinity thing going on here, which I think is born out of desperation and fear, which I'll get to in a minute. But she is sort of the only sensible person like she she doesn't fall for the bollocks we can do that. She's gone that, Yeah, go down there and tell them no. And that adds to this idea of the toxic masculinity because the office is oppressively anti female's.
Speaker 2: So bleak as well. There's no there's no real color, and everything that's pinned up around is about sales.
Speaker 1: And it's all about men specific Yeah, there's quotes on the wall. Oh is that what you've written down? Yeah, I wrote some of them down. Salesmen are born, not made. Ye. A man only hits what he aims for. A man's reach should exceed his grasp. They're all men, and all the dialogue is about men. You know. It's like you canna.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Alec Porlwin says, you think you can play in the man's game, You think you can take it? Are you man enough to take it? It's there is literally no space welcoming for women in this frame. And it's also interesting though that none of them try to sell to a woman.
Speaker 1: Because women are too smart to see they'll see through it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well no, technically the wife of not Link's wife, but the one that Lavine goes to see is obviously the stupid one because she's the one who signed up for it, and it's the husband that drives him off. So there is not to say that women are all too smart to see.
Speaker 1: It, but their sales techniques don't work on especially romas doesn't work on women. Oh yeah, because it's all about selling this masculine idea of you the man, freedom, you do whatever you want. Look, you can be like me. Look how cool I am, a fucking al pacino like me.
Speaker 2: It'd be like trying to relate to a woman by telling them about how much you love Andrew Tate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it doesn't work. Yeah, women have just be like that's stupid. So I want to talk about There's a couple of interpretations I have of the film, but the first one I want to talk about, because it ties into where we've just been going, is and it kind of ties into the situation we're living through today and why so many men are turning to the Andrew Tate toxic masculinity, red pill movement. Every man in this film is terrified, yes everyone, and I don't just mean terrified of losing their jobs. They are all terrified of irrelevance. They also terrified of not being seen as real men. Yeah, yeah, that's kind of what I mean by irrelevance. So, because the thing that kept striking me was when they kep talking about it a man's game. It's a man's game. I don't think of sales as a particularly manly thing, and it hit me that's why, Well, this is thing. It hit me. It's basically, these men do nothing productive for society. They don't make anything, they don't farm, they're not providing a service that actively helps people like police officer, fireman. They're a middleman, you know. They are leechers. They exist to help a corporation make money, which ironically they rarely see it, which they really see and they live off of table scraps all so they're literally leachers or parasites. In order to allow themselves to live with that knowledge, they've built this cult of masculinity around it of only a real man could do this. It takes brass balls. The fact he actually gets the brass balls out thing is I would call bullshit on that, except I have seen motivational speakers, not literally with brass balls, but literally with weird props that they get out just to say one point, and you're like whatever. I wonder how many of them were inspired by this film. Well, I did watch a thing where it was a guy saying and this is the damage of this film, the unintentional damage of people missing the point of the film. I watched a video where this guy who's been in sales for ten years says he's had three different bosses show him the Alec Baldwin scene unironically and be like, this is what you're aiming for. So what they've done, though, is they've built this cult of this is a man's game, only men matter. All of the talk is gonna be super butcher and masculinely. It's all based around that joking, putting each other down, swearing all the time thing, all of the decor is. And even Williamson because he's not a salesman, he's just a middle manager. He's a He's be honest, I'm not gonna say it, but the F word gets thrown around a lot in this film. That and pussy gets thrown around a lot. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's the one time where the F bomb comes out is Alec Baldwin.
Speaker 1: It just sort of comes out nowhere. He goes get mad get mad Well, cocksuckers. There's another one actually, but there's also a bit where he goes, you get that you fucking and then he says the word. You're like, is that necessary? Yeah exactly. But this is the thing. The whole and then you have to picture Alec Baldwin is the Andrew Tait of this scenario, or I hate to make it super political, he's the Donald Trump in this scenario. He's come into a group of desperate men who feel that they're growing irrelevance because sales, as you've said, increasingly, sales has become a more and more disrespected field because people know they're being played. Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people know that you're not making the cell for them, you're making the self for yourself. And a lot of people now prefer to go direct to the source to buy. They don't go when's the last time you heard of a traveling salesman. Yeah, they don't really exist anymore. It's because even if say you were to do that, though you okay, I'm going to be a traveling salesman. I'm going to buy this product, and I'm going to sell it this price, and I'm going to travel around the country to sell it. The vision you get of a traveling salesman is the snake oil salesman of like the Old West, sitting there going well, there's a cure all your eels. You know, as soon as you see a traveling salesman you just think scam artists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Alec Baldwin is basically the Trump because look at his speech. Every time a character and it's usually Ed Harris says to him, who are you that we should listen to you? He doesn't talk about his sales record, he doesn't talk about his achievements. Well, just flashes his wealth. He kind of does this watch, this is worth more than your car. You drove a Hyundai to get to work today. I drove.
Speaker 2: He also has no proof of his accomplishments other than the wealth he's got on him. So he says, I can go out tonight the materials you got make myself fifteen thousand dollars, can you can you? Well, we get no evidence that Blake will make fifteen thousand dollars. The truth is, though, people like that who have that the brass balls, let's be honest about it.
Speaker 1: That's actually a very good the brass.
Speaker 2: Bulls to come out and just say I am the one who has the money. Therefore I'm the one who makes the money. There is something about the confidence that drives people.
Speaker 1: Exactly flash the confidence and they flash the wealth, the watch and the BMW to these desperate men who are becoming irrelevant, and these men because they're desperate, go, that's what I should be aiming for.
Speaker 2: I wanted to state something about sales, because I don't believe you've ever worked in sales, have you.
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: So I have worked sales. I initially started working for John Lewis, which isn't sales in the same way, that's a lot more ethical sales. The benefit of working for something like John Lewis it's the benefit of not having so there was a pronocn Number one. The pro for the consumer and for me in a way in terms of the stress levels is there was no commission. The negative is that there's no commission. So I made the most sales in a day of TVs for John Lewis, the one I worked for.
Speaker 1: But still get paid the same and still got paid minimum wage. So but on the positive side, when it came to sales, it was so much more ethical because it was a case of they go, are you sure that one's the best for me? Because I mean, like, this isn't the most expensive TV in the range, or this one's a bit more than that one, And I'd be like, the reason I'm selling you that one is because it's got for what you want, this will do this the best, and that was legit because there was no commission. So I was like, we don't get paid commission here, so literally, I'm only trying to sell you the TV that will suit you best. When I then moved on from that too, so I was there twelve a half years. I then went into carphone Warehouse, which is direct sales telephone sales. I was very good at direct sales because I do patter quite well, but I didn't realize they did sales. I thought carphone whare else was a shop where just people come in and then you sell and you buy it contract. Oh that's never worked on me, I always refused. Yeah, I didn't go on to a contract until like way after everyone else did. It was only because we got offered alone.
Speaker 2: To be surprised, how rare that is now. So, but when you meet someone like that, you will get some people that can't see it and well, could we do have contracts?
Speaker 1: Like you?
Speaker 2: You seed it a couple of times if they're really like I just want to buy a phone mate, just sell the phone, get them out the shop, because essentially, when you sell the phone direct, you make no money for yourself really right, so that the because they basically it doesn't. They could spend like one five hundred pound on a brand new iPhone, you make twenty five pence on that commission seal right, whereas if you sold them it on a contract.
Speaker 1: Actually, iPhones were the worst because you could.
Speaker 2: Sell them a really expensive contract and still only make like seventy five p on that sale, whereas with something like a Huawei or a you know, one of the other brands, you would get up to six quid for that one sale.
Speaker 1: So you'd always try and move them away from Apple, not only because Apple's shit, but because they were the ones that broke the most as well, I'm gonna be honest, but also because you'd get.
Speaker 2: More money for the other brands. So in it, I would always try and be more ethical in that I would try and move people towards ones that would pay me more, but that's still fit what the patient, what the customer needed, so I'd always make it a match. I never really had complaints. There were some people that weren't that good for that. They would just go, well, that one makes me more money. So I would take a slight hit on commission because let's be honest. If the person returns the contract within twenty eight days, I don't make the commission anyway.
Speaker 1: That's another difference, isn't it. In this day only get three days. Yeah, And I was like, in Britain it's at least fourteen is the lowest I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you have twenty eight days to cancel, right when I worked in it twenty eight days to cancel. So I was like, I might as well Summer's phone that they're gonna be happy with, because just selling them at a phone that makes me slightly more money that gets returned makes me nothing, whereas selling them a phone that makes me a little bit less but definitely is stuck with the with the customer I'm going to keep. But yeah, so there were ethics on that however, And you're gonna hate this, but.
Speaker 1: It's one hundred percent through. If my sales call it like that, my number of cells have started to decline. I would watch the scene from Glengarry glen Ross of Alec wallin Bollocking the others my cells would improve immediate toxic. But it's the let edit in Britney spears as toxic at that point, which is a great song.
Speaker 2: How I'm not suggesting it's not toxic. What I am suggesting though, is that it works.
Speaker 1: And atational speech it was, but it also it also works. I think it's mostly to do with it's because it's not necessarily anything in there that was directly comparable to phone sales. So the reason I think mobile phones hadn't even been invented in ninety two, had they?
Speaker 2: They had, but they were very like they were like that consumer product, not really, No, you had to have a briefcase for a battery and shit like that. What you had, I think was the injection of confidence. You cannot sell without confidence, no, which is why Aaron aw is a terrible salesman. He has no confidence and he's a fuck up. When he first when they first get this, when they first get told they have to go out that night to sell, he calls the first person and he uses the wrong person's name. He picks up and goes, is that mister I don't know, mister Mitchinski. Oh sorry Space, mister Space. It's like you've already lost them because now they know, And he's.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, I'm just calling I've been trying to call you because of it. It's like, no, you haven't because you gave the wrong name. So well, he's someone completely beaten down by the system. There are certain people who are like Aaron now, where they're so beaten down by their job that even when they are offered a potential lifeline or a potential solution, will not take it because they have been comfort They become comfortable in this lane of just I'm going to moan and bitch and whine about everything, but I'm not going to change anything about my approach.
Speaker 2: But actually, weird enough, Levin has the same problem. The only difference is Levin is a little bit Levine hasn't given up.
Speaker 1: Difference. Yeah, Aaron, I was kind of giving up. He's like, I'm fucked on the board. Okay, you know he didn't. That's a great line, though, I'm fucked on the board. The irony being.
Speaker 2: What I do like about this film is that the best salesman Roma and the worst salesman in Aaron Ow. They had to lose two out of the four. Well they did because Moss Bugger's off to go and work for someone else and Levine's going to jail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Moss is the one character that I have from It doesn't make a lot of sense to me in the sense that the whole reason he leaves he gets angry about the way they're talking to him. But he did he did it, Like I know, he didn't physically rob the office, but he planned the crime. Yeah, but he's got to pretend it's all bollocks. He gets, But then why does he still quit what he should do.
Speaker 2: Because he's going to work for the other guy. He's using it as an excuse so that it doesn't look suspicious that he's then buggering off.
Speaker 1: I see, Yeah, I miss that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the whole thing is, well, it's not really That's how I took it, because he made it clear he was going over to Jerry. Yeah, Jerry graph because that's who they've sold the Glengarry Leeds too is But he's gonna look, it's gonna look weird if he just decides to jump over to Jerry Graff and he's leavin over on that deal as well, an't he? He tries to fuck Aaron.
Speaker 1: Now Over on it, Yeah, because he says he's got a line only with because you're half's five or whatever, it is. My half is my own business. Like that's not half then, is it? No? No, And Levine even says Donny, he says, I got five grand from I think he's got more. Yeah, but that's again that's Moss being a great salesman. But he's selling the crime, not the property, which suggests that he doesn't always sell the property. Also, the way that Moss is so vocally aggressive about how shit his job is, that's got to come across when he's trying to make sales, which might explain why his sales numbers aren't that good. If you go up to someone and go, oh god, my job is a bit shit, you know, it's really fucking difficult. I don't really like it. Would you like to buy something? They're gonna be like, nah, you're all right. So I think he's kind of again it's where you put your focus as a salesman. However, something else that I find interesting about him, Sorry, you starting to sick. When he's still trying to sell the crime to Aaron. Now he mentions griff Jerry Graff. Sorry he mentioned Jerry Graff, and he says that Graff had the right idea. He bought a bunch of leads of nurses and started selling homes to them. He was thinking, you know, who has extra money? Who has you know, blah blah blah blah blah. Nurses he's thinking, he's thinking. Aaron now goes with him for a little bit, and then Aaron Ow says, oh, I heard I heard they weren't doing very well the nurses. Yeah, I heard that they that had fallen through. And it's like, oh no, no, they're doing well. They're doing really well. It's like Jerry Graff has been selling to.
Speaker 2: You because it's quite likely that the nurses aren't selling, which is otherwise why would he need the Glengarry leads? Why would he need to steal Glengarry leads?
Speaker 1: There was a little bit of me that thought there was going to be a twist where when one of them did go to Jerry Graphic, turns out he's also fucked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, basically I think he is, because he's he bought the leads of the nurses that's doing exceptionally well, says the only man who's spoken to him, Moss, who is trying to convince to steal the Glengary leads. Why does he need them if the nurses are doing well and Aaron has already heard that graph isn't doing well. Why would he have heard that? It sounds to me like it's all bollocks, every even the salesmen are being sold to, because it is all the way up the chain, it's all sales.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One thing, just going back slightly because I forgot to make it in my point about toxic masculinity. The other key thing as well, that again it has in common with this modern day red pill movement. Notice none of them ever for a second consider that their own performance is the problem. Now, none of them sit there, especially Moss, sit there going ah, maybe I'm selling too aggressive, maybe I'm doing this. It's always just the leads a shit, Yep, these people are goddamn dead beats, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Nay, even Levine doesn't. Even Levine does the same. Levin actually is the only one with a legit reason. But Simon taneously he doesn't know that yet. Yeah, and it's probably because he keeps on money that the issue is the leads.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which again I just meant to say, ties into this interpretation of toxic masculinity, where these people they're not soul searching, they're not looking in themselves and going well, actually, maybe I shouldn't do X, Y and Z. They're just going, oh, it's all women's fault. They make me feel bad. It's never well, okay, I'm not saying everything's your fault. Sometimes it's not. But some of these men, they'll sit there and literally be like, yeah, I forgot her anniversary every year, but I don't understand why she left me. Well, maybe that's why, you fucking moron.
Speaker 2: Like I think the problem is is there's a lot of toxic women and a lot of toxic men.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of people.
Speaker 2: It's who is the toxic one in each relationship or in each thing. It's actually not as straightforward as well. It's the woman being a bitch, or it's the man being a lazy asshole. It's different for each Sometimes one leads to the other, of course.
Speaker 1: So and I recognize as well, I'm putting a very modern interpretation on a film that is from thirty years ago from and a play that's from even older than that, Yeah, play nearly forty Yeah, I think nineteen eighty four. Ifact that is forty years now, isn't it. It is? Yeah, So I know I'm putting a modern interpretation on it. I also don't know how intentional that is, given that David Mammott himself is quite right wing from what I understand, So I haven't kept up with David Mammott himself. So I'm just taking the play in the film as it is within its own context. Yeah, which I think is best because we always talk about separating art from artists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, However, it is important sometimes to think about the mindset of the person who created the art, not necessarily to say that the art is valued or not valued based on that. If I'm not right wing, so I probably If David Mammett is right wing, as you say, I probably wouldn't agree with him. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the film is about that, even though it includes toxic masculinity. I suppose the question would be does it discuss toxic masculinity by choice or is that a you know, a a happy circumstance of how right?
Speaker 1: Well this is fascinating, isn't it. The question is has he deliberately written a scathing indictment of toxic masculinity or has he written what he thinks men are and it's by doing that has accidentally exposed toxic masculine And the truth is we will never know unless someone goes actually asks him, and even then you probably won't know because, let's be honest, he would have reason to lie because we've said before there's probably a billion writers and directors. I've done it. I've done it with Haunted, where people come up to you and go, I really like this symbolism here, and you've not done it intentionally. Yeah, you just sit there and go thank you. Yes, Yes, I am that smart, thank you very much. Yeah, whereas I am that smart Jamie. Of course, I have one other interpretation I just want to talk about, which is of the film as a scathing indictment of capitalism, okay, yes, which I think mostly centers on Shelley the Machine Levine. Yes, where you know, at the start of the film, Shelley is desperate. He is a man who's worked all his life. He's now in his twilight years, probably at an age where, at least in this country, you would long since have expected him to retire, because we have pretty good retirement plans in the UK. Yeah, I mean, yeah, okay, because as I understand it, I could be wrong, but as I understand it, he's still working in seventy four. So this is the nineties though nowadays nowadays, Yes, nowadays, the economy is in the fucking toilet. Yeah, people can't afford to stop working anymore. I could be wrong, so someone can fact check me. But I don't think America has the same state pension that the UK has system. I think if you're not in a private pension, you're basically fucked.
Speaker 2: Quite possibly, it's a bit like being self employed in the UK though, so he probably is that. Actually, it's probably is directly.
Speaker 1: Because they do all their own taxes. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the reason my dad is still working is because he's been self employed his whole life and as wow, yeah, and because he's been self employed his whole life, he doesn't have a pension put away.
Speaker 1: He still pays tax though, so he should. Tax and pension is separate. No, No, you know, your National Stamp is your pension, but you have to pay your stamp. I think the drop in pay would be That's what I'm saying. It's probably this is the thing. You can't live on the state pension anymore. No, No, it's not. Actually you can't actually exist on it, no, because it's only something like one hundred and fifty quid a week, I think, Yeah, which for someone like me, who I don't I doubt I'm ever going to own a house. I'm probably going to rent my entire life. Yeah, one hundred and fifty quit a week does not cover rent. No, he doesn't let alone everything else. Yeah. Yeah, Anyway, Shelley the machine Levine is this old guy. He's worked his whole life and he's desperate. He's put in a position of desperation that again, this is something that makes the play uniquely American. He needs to pay for his daughter to have treatment of some kind. So Shelley is this older guy has worked all his life, he's now in a position of desperation because he needs money to pay for his daughter. And Kevin Spacey is the He symbolizes the whole of the capitalistic industry, the free market, which is it doesn't give a fuck about you. You can put years of your life into a company. The minute you falter or you need help, they turn their back on you. They're indifferent, they don't.
Speaker 2: Care because it is predatory, and it's predatory against itself. So the whole thing is the reason it's manly is because you're the predator and your customers are the prey. The thing that they don't see coming is that they are also the prey to the people above them. He then gets driven to a point where he has to do something desperate, which I'm from a working class background, I know that happened. The reason there's a perception of some working class people being criminals is because a lot of them are forced into it.
Speaker 1: He is forced to do something desperate to protect his daughter, Yeah, and immediately gets punished for it. Yeah. Like the film off, she ends a little bit ambiguously, but it's reasonable to presume he goes to jail at the very least loses his job.
Speaker 2: And we also hear earlier on the phone if he can't pay the next bill, she's being thrown out of healthcare. And if he goes to jail, he won't be able to afford that bill because he can't afford it. Right now, I'd like to just say as we end that the film does a really good job of building tension as well, and really proves that tension doesn't have to come from something life threatening.
Speaker 1: Like fans what yeah, or like no or psycho or something like that, you know, always be closing. It doesn't always have to be something life threatening. You know, this film perfectly builds tension with Roma and yes and the oh, the contract's fine, it's fine, definitely judge it. And the whole time you kind of suspect that, at least I did, that Kevin Spacey has lied about the contracts No, no, sorry, let me take it back. You know that Kevin Spacey is saying the contract has been filed. So when Kevin Spacey comes out, every time he comes out, you're like, don't open your mouth, don't give the game away, and he does, and when that happens, you're like, fuck.
Speaker 2: But that's why Roma says the first thing, you know, if you'd ever worked a day in your life, you don't open your mouth until you know what the shot is yea. And another because Williamson has no life experience in sales.
Speaker 1: And another interesting thing about the Roma character, just as I wrap up, that might talk to why he's a better salesman than the others, and maybe not, I might be reaching. This might just be a film because he's got the most so oh yeah, but this reason might just be me trying to find a nice message. He's the only one who seems to care about previous generations. Yeah, No, other character wants to hear about Shelley, mostly Moss, who's literally like foot the machine. Yeah, but al Pacino, I kept expecting it to be a twist, you know, and he's like saying to him, I want to learn from it, even though he's already in the position of power. Yeah, he still wants to learn from the old generations. I was a little cynical bit of me. He was expecting a twist where he was just like, ah, fuck you, you old geezer, I've stolen your leads on something like that. So what it is is because he actually says he learned from Shelley Levine. So he learned Shelley Levine's thing, and then he took it in a more modern direction. What he needs, what Shelley needs is to change. But that doesn't mean that what Shelley learned is irrelevant. You take the best bits of it and you move on. The reason that Roma is such a good salesman is because essentially, by doing the psychological sales pitch that he does, what he.
Speaker 2: Ends up doing is. The reason he's not selling the land is because he's selling to a friend. And when I worked in sales. That was the main thing that you have to do is build up even though it's much shorter, I had like twenty minutes to build up a relationship with someone.
Speaker 1: That's what you do.
Speaker 2: You find something on someone that you can connect with, maybe a necklace they're wearing, something like that. You try and find something you can connect with, grow a relationship within that twenty minute timeframe, so that by the time you're making the add on sales, you're selling to a friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've experienced that. So that is it for Glen Garry, Glenn Ross. I presume you will agree that it still holds up Rawsham one hundred percent brilliant film. Yeah, I agree. I really liked this. I don't think I like it quite as much as you, but I found it really enjoyable. I would definitely recommend that people check it out. It's a really interesting film, and I think it is a film that even if this interpretation wasn't intended back in the day, it certainly applies now, which is one of the fantastic things about film is that the interpretations can change over time. Thank you everyone for listening. We will be back next week with more Second Take cinema until next time. That's a wrap