Speaker 1: Hey, Carl, here, we're on a mission to find new fans of the show. I mean, where else can you get real life comedy and horror in one podcast. You can do your part by leaving us a review on iTunes, Spotify, or wherever you get Security this week. Also, you can get an ad free feed by becoming a five dollars a month patron. Go to Patreon dot Security this week dot com and sign up, and don't forget discord Discord dot Security this week dot com. Lots of good stuff happening there. Yeah, I think that's it. So on with the podcast.
Speaker 2: So, my wife asked me this morning why I was speaking so softly around the house. I told her I was afraid Mark Zuckerberg was listening to me. She laughed, I laughed, Alexa laughed, Siri laughed. All right, let's get stated here. We got a story from the record, Russia laked malware operation collapses after security failures and developers arrest.
Speaker 3: Poetic justice.
Speaker 2: Poetic justice.
Speaker 4: I love it. I love how it says after security failures, this guy's a malware developer. It wasn't security failures on what he was exploiting. It was on his own side. Yeah, so this developer built a piece of malware called clay rat, and clay rat would in effect systems and whatever, right Android devices, But in a.
Speaker 3: RAT, you should explain, a RAT is a remote access trojan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, Oh okay, so pretend. So that's if you want to watch somebody's phone and watch them play you know, candy crush on the potty like a RAT. Yeah, exactly, on their phone and you can see what they're doing. Keep that in mind kids when you're you know, using your phone. But anyways, so this guy develops a RAT. He has it all obviously communicate back to what we call SEE two, which is a commanded control structures. You know, he can rake in the doze and then come to find out his site has like hundreds of security vulnerabilities, plain text passwords that everybody can read, all sorts of stuff. So was not hard for the authorities to take a peek at the site and take it down and then obviously attributed to him.
Speaker 2: He was not listening to our career, criminal career, right, come on, now on, it's.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you're gonna if you're going to create a command and control structure first stuff which you really need to do is route it through AWS, right, because nobody's going to block that. And at that point, I mean, corporations don't even notice that type of traffic. And if you really want to rinse it, then you put it through azure. At the same time you no.
Speaker 2: I didn't mean go ahead and give the guys oh sorry and everybody else for that matter criminal career?
Speaker 4: Was that not worried? Put that jumped right in. It's one of those days people.
Speaker 2: Right, So that's just a fun story to start off the week.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Let's talk about q NAP q NAP Patches for Vulnerabilities exploited it, pone to own to own, pone to own. We've talked about this. It's a great yeah sort of conference, right where ackers get together and they try to they try to hack in and they.
Speaker 4: It's like the it's like the super Bowl of nerds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you get yeah, and they put up a reward and you know, motivate people to help them find vulnerabilities.
Speaker 4: And they're the competitions are awesome. It's like sometimes it's against printers. Sometimes they they roll in a tesla and say go ahead. Yeah. Absolutely, There's there's a lot of really cool stuff that they do, but in this particular case, they were targeting.
Speaker 3: The q NAP any human contestants or.
Speaker 4: Less and less, less and less.
Speaker 2: So so this being like a router show, Yeah, this is a good first router story. So que app has a sd WAN, routers and there were four security defects.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, and they also have NAS devices network attached storage, so it's the box you plug on a bunch of disk. Yeah, they do that. They have routers as well. Yeah. So for for very interesting flaws, there are patches that have already been created last Friday were released. So if you do have the q NAP, whether it's the q net switches, whether it's the q NAP NAS device, you just go out and patch these. But one of them is actually arbitrary code execution, which.
Speaker 3: Is who wrote this article, Twain.
Speaker 4: It wasn't me, I I O nut our Guyer, Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: It's good pirate names.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pirate name.
Speaker 4: Guyer.
Speaker 2: All right, shall we move on?
Speaker 4: I talk all day, we can move on.
Speaker 3: Well, it's good that it was found in a own a.
Speaker 4: Pone yes or pone own, you know, whichever one is fine. What's interesting? So digging into the digging into the four different exploits though, because they're a bunch of CVEs in here. One of them requires the attacker to gain physical access of the device. So if the attacker gains physical access, they can exploit improper restrictions and communication channels intended for certain endpoints. Okay, so okay, that's one of them. The next one if the attacker gains access to the local network, right, so they broke into a different device, Now they can exploit weak authentication uh, through certain protocols. The third one is if the attacker gains an administrative account okay, uh, then they can actually exploit SQL injection, getting execution and arbitrary code execution. And then the fourth one is if they if the attacker gains another administrative account, there's another improper neutralization of escaping meta sequences that allows control of the device. So we say there's four. I think the team, if I remember correctly in the article, got paid out one hundred grand for finding these four. But if you look at them really deeply, like they're pretty critical, severity is huge. But two of them, the dude needs to be on the network with you, and the other two the dude needs an admen account so do debt or do debt? Right? I use dude in a sort of neutral Well, okay, dude, dude.
Speaker 3: Which is astic bias.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I'm I'm I'm an equal dude, opportunity guy. Okay, I still don't know what the hell you're talking about. That's all right, nobody ever does, really, Carl. That's the charm of this show.
Speaker 2: That is it is you can you can pretend to know what Dwayne's talking about and laugh and everybody will think you're super smart. All right, let's move on Aqua's Triviy vulnerability scanner hit by supply chain attack. So the so the Triviy vulnerability scanner, what is that? Just what it sounds like?
Speaker 4: First off? Can we can we also address this is also written by I owe nut our guyer? Ok are our guy? This guy's on fire this week people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's he's everywhere you want to know.
Speaker 4: He is absolutely well done, our guyer. This is this is an open source security vulnerability scanner, which is ironic that will has worth every penny right exactly has vulnerability has like extensions for vs code and we'll look for things like you know, top code issues and that sort of stuff.
Speaker 3: So it's this is not a tool we used typically.
Speaker 4: No, no, but I mean, you know, having a tool that does Stata code analysis and that sort of stuff not a bad idea. The problem came, and this is where the supply chain risk comes in. They had an automated sort of CDCI pipeline, right, Continuous development Continuous integration pipe ce IC. Yeah, CICD pipeline. Sorry, a lot of those were automated through GitHub actions. Okay, So imagine that you have a bunch of keys to a bunch of sort of secret places, and then you allow somebody in an open source repo who maybe they've made changes before that have actually been great, and you allow them on the repo and et cetera. But they still don't have access to the keys. But what they do is they make a build and push it as a PRS as a pull request, and the automated actions GitHub actions then start building that code and testing the code and making sure it actually runs and making sure right because there's this entire you know, hey, we're not going to allow it into the mean, the main branch unless the code builds in runs. Well, during that process, when the code goes to run, you have no idea what this person just added in the code. And what they do is they dump the worker process for GitHub oh, which has the memory to coded keys, and then they steal those keys and now they have access to do whatever they want, approve things, push malicious stuff up into the code repo, and that's what which.
Speaker 2: Is what they say they did here. So is this a technique you often use? Dwyane?
Speaker 3: Oddly enough? No, defind often.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, how about publicly for our customers?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean a lot of times it's easier for us to go through and look at your pipelines and how you have been configured than it is for us to just kind of hammer away at them. But this is an interesting one, right. Nobody really thinks, okay, the code that you're actually running in that pipeline may actually be vulnerable, and.
Speaker 3: No one expects the Spanish inquisition.
Speaker 4: Nobody sea Takamata.
Speaker 2: So you can't talk about it.
Speaker 3: You can't talk about it, and all of the people under forty have no idea what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of show So HubSpot if it's not really it's not related to this, But this HubSpot is mentioned here. I heard not HubSpot, get get up, get Up. I heard as now you have to opt out for your code to not be used in training AI.
Speaker 2: That is right, and I just learned that yesterday before this recording, and I same day went to get up settings to copilot and right down at the bottom there's a you know, allow co pilot to use your code to train its models, and it's allowed by default. Now you have to opt out.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I'm happy with them using all the code in my repost as a training model.
Speaker 3: I have custom and they're not counting on it.
Speaker 4: I'm counting on it. Honestly. I'm really hoping some of the code that's in my private repos makes it into some massive pieces of software.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well that's true for you, But.
Speaker 4: No, so is it just for public repos or is it private repos as well? Wow, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: At up until now all private repos they said they would not use the right.
Speaker 3: Right, all right, So is there a oh they gave us a year, Is there a give us ad start.
Speaker 2: Patch for this?
Speaker 4: I don't even know what we're talking about anymore?
Speaker 2: Trivy trivy?
Speaker 5: Oh, no patch, they don't use the bad version? Yeah, it's it's literally like, don't approve people for your repo, especially if you have a CICD pipeline that exposes keys. Right, if you're doing automated builds of software, know the randos who are submitting stuff.
Speaker 3: So version version zero point sixty nine point four is the Mount Militia's version. Don't use that.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, exactly. So that's a good point. Patrick. The fix quote unquote for get Hub issue is just be careful in who you give access to that pipeline. But you're right, there was some malicious code built and you really should update update to the latest.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so let's talk about Oracle.
Speaker 4: Now, let's talk about Oracle.
Speaker 2: Oracle patches critical CVE twenty six twenty one, nine ninety two enabling unauthenticated RCE in Identity Manager.
Speaker 3: Remote code execution. Oh no, that's the one. So like you got two. I mean you have major categories is remote code execution and this privileged escalation PRIVEESK you have to have access. Remote code execution gives you access. Yeah, so they kind of go hand in hand. Yeah, I mean, is this is unauthenticated that's a bad one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is a bad one. Honestly. So if you are running the Identity Manager or the web Services Manager, I mean web Services Manager by its nature is connected at the so's identity. So you really do want to go out and patch our patches for this. But you want to go out and patch.
Speaker 3: It's like if your bathroom door doesn't lock, that's one thing, if your front door doesn't lock, that's quite another.
Speaker 4: Right, exactly, So if you are running Oracle Identity Manager version twelve dot two dot one dot four and fourteen one dot two dot one, or web Services Manager twelve dot two dot one dot four or fourteen one dot two dot one, right, a lot of numbers, just go patch.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, fake, it's time to take a break. M So we'll be right back after these very important messages. All right, and we're back. It's Security this Week. I'm Carl Franklin, that's doing the Flott and Patrick Hines. Next story from Security Week. Not Security this Week, that's Security Week. They had a good idea there with that title critical Langflow vulnerability exploited hours after public disclosure Langflow, what's that?
Speaker 4: Okay, So what's interesting about this story is not langflow at all. Like lang flows. Their framework for AI and what they call RAG retrieval, augmented generation whatever. It's how you store physical documents and then pull them in AI. Blah blah blah. Super interesting. I'm sure what's really interesting about this article is the fact that the moment that this attack, this security risk was there was an advisory that came out about it. Within twenty hours, attackers made a POC based on the advisory.
Speaker 3: So this is based on what we were talking about before, is the zero day clock is ticking down. It's taking less and less time from when something is revealed to hey, there's a problem here, we'll probably patch it this week, or we patched it today, and then twenty hours later you've got people actually using an exploit. Well, that's got to be AI, or it just happens to be that much more qualified hackers are are working quicker. I think it's more likely the former than the latter.
Speaker 2: It also, yeah, yeah, I think so too. And it could be a combination, right, It could be somebody who gets a notification and then goes to an AI and says, hey, exploit this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you're absolutely right. If I can take a look at an advisory and start off with that AI piece, right, like, Hey, here's an advisory. What do you think what might be the issue? Here's the open source quarter, here's whatever, right, and AI goes, oh, this is exploitable. Oh Grey, can you give me a script that tests my systems? Right, which most the AIS will do because they're trying to help you, and then you weaponize it right without an AI. So I think you're starting to see the pairing of and this is us speculating. Of course we're not sure, but you're starting to see the pairing of initial reconnaissance and code evaluation based on an advisory being done by potentially AI. Right.
Speaker 3: So I don't think this makes everyone a super hacker. I think what this does is it makes every malicious actor one level high or more dangerous.
Speaker 2: So that's bad.
Speaker 3: But the script kitties who don't understand networking and don't really understand the language that they're looking at, they're not capable of doing this because there are steps that are still manual.
Speaker 2: Yep, So I got a question. So this was patched. Version one point eight point one was released on March seventeenth with patches. Was it then that they after that patch was available, that they did the advisory no, or did they do the advisory before it was patched.
Speaker 4: Generally, the advisory comes out before a patch, like, hey, guys, just you know, we're seeing XYZ as an attack surface. We expect to have a patch out in the next couple of days, but you know, shar up your firewalls or whatever it is. Right, They like to give an advisory beforehand, before they even have a patch, to give advice to people who are using this pipeline.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's a good idea in general?
Speaker 3: It might have to stock.
Speaker 4: That is a good question. In the past, I would have said, yeah, absolutely, right, absolutely, you should let people know if there's a risk, Like, hey, guys, this, you know the street out in front of my house, there may be a sinkhole. We've had so much rain. You should you should know about it. If you're going over it, just you know the risk, right, and maybe drive around it. But now it's you know, I say, hey, there might be a sinkhole there, and somebody goes over and says, oh, wow, I know I can exploit this sinkhole. Yeah, drop Patrick's car into it. Well, and looking at that zero day clock right twenty eighteen, it took two and a half years to create an exploit, right, a zero day exploit, and now.
Speaker 3: Well for us to see an exploit didn't necessarily take that. It's that's when that's the average time it took for an exploit to surface in the wild.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: So SISA, the cyber agency that basically helps watchdog this kind of stuff, they have a known exploitable vulnerability no one exploited vulnerably k ev list. And it used to be that, you know, once a quarter they'd throw something on the key. It's like every day there's something new on the k ev less. So it's coming faster and faster. So think of it this way. Elite hackers like people like Dwayne I think there's a thousand of them around the world, people with that level of capability. Maybe maybe this two thousand, But now the million people are rung below that can do what he was doing two years ago because of AI. And so that's a big that's a that's three zdos a magnitude increase, and so you're going to see a lot more activity. It doesn't mean one hundred million or a billion people can do it, but a million is a big number to do. To have this kind of power. So it's like.
Speaker 2: Dwa any feeling obsolete, not at all.
Speaker 4: Oh if we could only talk about the deeper things well to do.
Speaker 3: Honestly, honestly, I only say this. Oh, yeah, Dwayne's moved up a level too, so good because now he can use it. So we're starting to get to the point where a lot of these like you know, top level hackers are starting to get scary, like nation states used to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't want to talk about nation states because that's just like.
Speaker 4: You know, massive opinion right there, it is, Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: Well, we're already we already know. Yeah, we already know that. It's like the you know, espionage on the population and all the things that Anthropic warned us about.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, we moved on TP link and the TP does not stand for toilet paper, although doesn't discuss that in.
Speaker 4: The past, because that's cool.
Speaker 3: TP Link is trying to convince us that they're not a Chinese company anymore and they're based in the US.
Speaker 4: Wait, we don't know why yet. We're going to talk about that in a little bit a little foreshadowing.
Speaker 3: I wonder why they do that.
Speaker 2: So let's start. Let's start with the headline tp link warns users to patch critical router off bypass flaw. That's that's the story.
Speaker 3: It is the story.
Speaker 4: So the big story is they call it a flaw with this up. I'm pretty sure most of those are shipped with an off bypass, but I could be wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you're not supposed to know about them.
Speaker 4: So this is Listen, we've seen this before where especially actually we've seen this before with tp link, where there is a way to send an unauthenticated request. Maybe it's for configuration, maybe it's for DHGP, maybe it's for whatever. Right, there's a whole bunch of different requests that can happen to a router, and then it gives us the ability to run code. So in this particular case, yeah, if you do, if you're running one of these and you really do, you really should go patch, right if you have Uh, these are the Archer series. If you're running an Archer NX two hundred six hundred router, go patch. You're going to pull the patch down from tp link. Although in somewhere in Asia and hopefully it's stops.
Speaker 2: We'll find out very shortly. The next story might make this whole thing moot.
Speaker 4: Maybe it is crap.
Speaker 2: Maybe it is crap. Well, maybe patching is not.
Speaker 4: Then maybe it's not.
Speaker 2: Does heath kit give you a router kit? Can you do that? Can you like make your own router from a electronic No?
Speaker 4: Right, I mean we might want them to do that after this next story. So could you actually, that's an interesting thought, could you? Yes, you could easily get a tiny, cheap little box like one of those little Dell Knucks or whatever, right, and then put a PF sense on it as a firewall, and then plug in a couple you know, wireless network cards and put it in an ape. So could you build your own? Yeah? You could.
Speaker 3: Actually to be enterprise quality, you'd have to know, you'd have to add vulnerabilities.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's enough vulnerability secure.
Speaker 2: All right. So let's get to the next story, our clickbait story. The FCC bands foreign routers, meaning those not made in the United States, putting enterprise network risk in focus.
Speaker 3: Dwayne, can you help us out? Can you give us the list of a US made routers?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 4: Ken, Okay, you're done. Yeah, that's it. I'm done.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 4: This isn't funny, but it's so bad, you know it points out an interesting supply chain risk. Right, all of the routers used in enterprise and in homes are made in somewhere else, made somewhere else, right, Yeah, And it's not just all like, oh we're against you know, China making routers who they might put exploits in. Like, this is all foreign routers. So whether it's made in France, whether it's made it doesn't matter. Right. And what's really crazy is it also says whether major components, a major component of the router put together in a foreign country as well. So even if the router is designed here but made somewhere else, it's still on the band list. And if the router is designed here and forty percent of it is still built here, it's still on the band list because it's a major component.
Speaker 2: I thought Cisco was a Silicon Valley company.
Speaker 4: Cisco is a Silicon Valley company.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. They haven't made routers in a long time. They they're all offshore. Yeah, they don't have massive, you know, farms of places building routers in the United States.
Speaker 2: So are we starting a new company?
Speaker 4: I know, right, Hey, maybe we do that. We have sense thing, Maybe we start building routers. Yeah, And it's tough too, because you know, Cisco may produce some of the router here, but not all of it, right, and that that then can also make it susceptible too. Well, it wasn't made here. Even if it was, even if it's a US friendly country, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: He gets got to come back.
Speaker 3: I mean later in the article they say that the US produces ten percent of US but maybe they're bending the rules to allow some rut of these routers to be considered American made, or.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's maybe it's ten percent of the router itself is American and the ninety percent of that same router as foreign. That's what they're talking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, Yeah, I think there's still some vagaries here. Hopefully they're they're not going to have. I mean, they could pick a winner and say only Cisco qualifies and we're giving them an exemption, or only you know, pick a vendor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want It depends. So here's the other thing. I work a lot with DoD and DD contractors and that sort of stuff, And when I talk to those guys, they will buy a piece of hardware, a router, a switch or whatever, and then they will look at all the components on that device, and then they will pull the components off that have any type of code on them and replace them with chips that they sourced and that they put from where and whatever on. So could you, you know, make one? Yeah, you could, you could? You could do that. I just asked. I just asked, chetch Ebt. Apparently there's a company called iron Link out of Virginia, So everybody should go rush and buy some iron Link. They do make, unless it's a hallucination ruggedized wireless wireless routers. I got a picture right here. There's a company called Netgate never heard of them, out of Texas apparently. And uh, protectile that sounds like a disease you'd take a pill for. But protect tile apparently.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, hold on, protectile dysfunction wa tile vomiting?
Speaker 4: You know what? I didn't even think about what? Oh, never mind. I got all excited. It was like firewall, and I was like, yeah, I love fire wallace and then in the bottom it says is not US made and is often confused as such. Oh I got really excited about firewall, like the yeah, well we got to do something about this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure there'll be more information coming and they'll be tracking or exceptions or something along those lines. But it's it's pretty silly.
Speaker 2: So if they're banned, does that mean you can't buy you won't be able to buy them new? Like is the best buy router area completely shelf empty?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, what will happen is they'll stop getting shipments. They won't make it through customs. So what we'll see what happens. But yeah, a lot a lot of the routers that are being now there are something companies that order parts overseas that aren't routers. Right, broadcom chips come you know, from overseas. A lot of CPUs are from Taiwan, right, PCBs from Asia, but they're not it's not a router when it comes in and maybe it's assembled here. So we may see some companies trying to bypass regulations that way.
Speaker 2: I have no idea. We'll see what we're gonna have to We're gonna have to start at this our channel about this because this is going to require some brain power to figure out.
Speaker 3: I think the big result is we're going to see increase in prices.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, or or a decrease, a decrease honestly, seriously, in supply until there is a you know, till Cisco decides listen. I mean, here's the other problem. Where do you get chips? Right, Like, there's there's not a massive amount of CPU slash Wi Fi chip makers in the United States. Qual COM's not here, Broadcom's not here, right, So.
Speaker 3: I like freedom lay good chips.
Speaker 4: And on that note, good listener.
Speaker 2: We'll see over in discord. It's that's all the news that happened last week, and we'll see you next week on security this week, bye bye bye weeks