Speaker 1: Here is your Channa nine first morning weather forecast. What a great forecast. Sunny skyes today, drive sixty seven for the high overnight little forty three, a couple of clouds, maybe mostly sunny tomorrow with the highest seventy three, fifty four overnight with clear and dry conditions and a clear and dry Mother's Day sunny in seventy six. It's forty nine degrees right now, Chuck, what's going on out there?
Speaker 2: You see tramping center. When it comes to stroke, every second counts. That's why you see Health as the clear choice for rapid life saving treatment. Learn more ad you sehealth dot com. Southbound seventy five continues slow out of Lackland. Westbound two seventy five heavy at coal rain. An accident has the right tube lings be blocked off. I continue to see having traffic in northern Kentucky on eastbound two seventy five between Madison Pike and the Double A. Chuck Ingram month fifty five krs the talk station.
Speaker 1: It's say forty fifty five KRCD talk station, Happy Friday, away from the headier news and talk about something that I learned a little bit about and I was unaware of I'm want to welcome to the fifty five Carsey Morning Show, Gary Walton, who's with the Cincinnati Type and Print Museum. Gary, it's a real pleasure to have you on the program. My mom took the tour of the Print and Type Museum and brought it to my Attention's like, wow, I didn't even know we had one of those. And then she starts going on about the Cincinnati having such a really big connection with printing, this whole concept of the art of printing. It's good to have you on the program. Gary, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Oh my pleasure to be able to share with Cincinnatians our motto, which is life revolves around print.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, and was a Guggenheim event to the printing press bringing print to the masses. What an amazing transformation, transformative moment in history that was. But it is an art form. It does take skills, and it does take training to learn how to do this. But the point that you do, there are career opportunities printing.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Cincinnati has over three hundred printing establishments. When I say that, people look at me funny, And how would you know there's three hundred Because we mail our newsletter to over three hundred printing establishments. There is a huge shortage of graphic arts people going into print. Most of abody's being design, which is really a crowded field. But you need to consider the idea of going into print. And when you think of print, you're thinking probably the newspapers, which are not doing very well. But the print is way more than newspapers. And next time you go into a Walmart, just take a look at all the packaging that's there. There's over three hundred and fifty thousand packages that all need to produce every day. Your foreign matual is printed, your wallpapers printed, your appliances are printed, the clothing that you wear is printed. And in the future, the new technology which I want Cincinnati be a leader in is something called printing electronics, where we actually print electronic circuit boards. And we can do that right now, print electronic circuit boards, print parts of batteries, and I actually print antennas and other devices. So in the next five ten years, every electronic device starts in a press room. So and I can say I went Cincinnati, Ohio to be a leader in print electronics. And that's one of the things we're really pushing here at the Cincinnati Tick and Print Museum.
Speaker 1: Well, Gary, you just hit upon something that takes me in a different direction. That's the last thing I was thinking about. When you talk about printing, I'm thinking about, you know, the the paint and block where you stamp it in old school methodologies, and when you type, set and all that. Of course, a lot of that going the way of the DODO with modern computer printing, but that it's outside of the realm of just printing things that you view visually or that you read. And I guess you're talking about a form of three D printing.
Speaker 3: No, this is people immediately seeing three D printing. We're talking about traditional presses that every printer in Cincinnati has, and all the magic is in the ink. The ink is the magic. The ink is what conducts the flow of electricity. Batteries are just liquids of chemicals, so why can't we print liquid chemicals instead of liquid aks. So it's just traditional presses, not three D printing, not anything magical, just traditional presses. Now, the advantage of printingletronics is huge cost savings. So if you're manufacturing it's a cell phone, for example, I don't know if you noticed but the iPhone thirteen sold for one thousand dollars because I had one. I fell off the back of a truck the other day and cracked it, so I had to get an iPhone sixteen. The sixteen only cost me eight hundred dollars. Now why did it drop two hundred dollars Because of printed electronics. Your cell phone at this present moment now eighteen percent of its twenty percent is printed on a press. I can show you a picture at the museum where we have fifty phones up on a press sheet and the circuit board is printed, the antennau was printed, and parts of the battery. So this is the future. And also the other using we the printing industry are going to say the world of by reducing the use of fossil fuels. We have samples here at the Museum of printed solar panels. No we're talking about it is it's a plastic that you have it that we printed and the costs went from three hundred dollars to twenty dollars. See, this is going to change everything. And in the future your whole car will be a solar panel.
Speaker 1: And people who visit it is my mind is blown. I mean I've learned more about printing here in the last couple of minutes with you, Gary than I ever thought was even out there. Now people will learn all about this and when they take a tour of the of the type in Print Museum. This is how my mom stumbled upon it. But you talk about all this when you do tours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we want to encourage people to make an appointment, to go on our website and make an appointment, because this is a working museum. You don't come and just look. We put an apron on you and you actually physically print, and so we'll talk about the future of printing, and we'll talk about the past of printing. So when you leave here, you will become an ambassador for print like your mom had. Yeah. Actually, you to reach us, and that's our goal to make everybody and bachelor's a print in Cincinnati. You realized one hundred years ago was the second largest printing center in the world, and we said, we just have this history. And today twenty twenty five, we're still very strong. We're the twelfth largest printing center. There are forty cities in this country that are bigger than we are, but we do more print the printing industry in Cincinnati is still extremely strong.
Speaker 1: Eye opening reality going on here. It's Cincinnati Typeprint Museum dot org and Joe Streker will add that to my blog and podcast page fifty five caroc dot com. I saw an article on the Wall Street tran was either today or yesterday talking about the trades and high school juniors that are you know out there in the world. There's a lot of companies out there that are interacting with juniors and folks in the shop programs and hiring them right out of high school with career salary level jobs. And I would imagine this type of trade would be a wonderful opportunity for a young person. Do you have high Are you working with high schoolers along those lines at the Type Print Museum?
Speaker 3: Yes, we worked with Cincinnati Public schools and are training some of the individuals there. I also go out to I taught printing for thirty five years at Cincinnati State, and I'm happy to say that many of my graduates are making more money than some people with four your degrees. We had one hundred percent placement of our students when I was there, Just showing you the need for people going into the printing industry. So people who are making c's got really good jobs because the demand was so high and the supply was so low. And that's the case of all printing cities across the United States. There is a choice. Our number one problem is a lack of qualified, willing workers in our industry, and that's our fault. We did a bad job of promoting ourselves. And here at cincinnt teme In Print Museum, we're going to change that well.
Speaker 1: And I'm glad to be able to help you achieve that goal. I just I find the whole thing fascinating. Now, do you do his historic type printing? Like going back to my idea when I was in high school or in elementary school, you carved a wood block and then you put different colors and stamped it to make a graphic design poster. Does that work still being done there?
Speaker 3: Yes, the arts community still enjoys doing with a called minodum blocks or woodcuts, and so that's being done and we will be offering in the future classes on that. But when you come to the museum, the first thing you can see as an authentic Johann Gutenberg printing press from fourteen fifty five, and Gutenberg's main invention wasn't the press, but it's something called mobile type individual letters that he could assemble the form words, send this paragraphs and actual pages. And we'll go ahead and give you a litt announcement here on June twenty fourth, twenty fifth, and twenty eighth, we're going to be honoring Gutenberg's six hundred and twenty fifth birthday, and you can come to museum and you can actually print page one of the Book of Genesis the way that he would actually have printed it, and the individuals be the one actually doing that printing, not mean you'll be doing it and then take a copy home.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a lot of fun and interesting and historically informative as well. Type and Print Museum since any Type in Print Museum online, it's Cincinnati Type Print Museum dot org. Schedule the tour and do it in advance. I'll just show up. Obviously, it's a very busy place. And man, I'm telling you real eye opening reality that there's a lot of opportunities for careers out there in the print world. Gary Walton, I really appreciate the time you spent with my listeners with me today. It's been really enlightening, informative, and I'm going to head on out there myself at some point. Good good, all right, brother, good luck out there. I'm sure you're gonna get your phone rigging. I'm sure you're gonna get your phone rigging a little bit. There's interested young people like you. Mean, I don't have to go to college and I can do that. Yes, absolutely, cutting edge stuff. Have a wonderful weekend, Gary, keep up the great work. It's eight forty nine fifty five kc DE talk station. One more mentioned from Gata Heaven Cemetery. You know, I think about the stress of modern life, and you know, people need a time to exhale, be a little contemplative, maybe getting a prayerful mood. And you're looking for a change of environment, and you want to be in a beautiful, beautiful outdoor setting. Well Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Montgomery is the place to be. Gorgeous landscaping, beautifully maintain setting for remembrance and reflection, rolling hills, mature trees, peaceful, very well landscape with the seasonal flowers coming up in the springtime and the trim lawns. You got reflective water features, a perfect location for a stroll and of course prayer and reflection. So find comfort and peace in the cemetery's quiet reverend surroundings. And it's open to everyone, non denominational, Welcome to all folks out there. Administering to the Tri State for more than seventy seven years, an honoring life on sacred ground. Learn more online. It's gateof Heaven dot org. Fifty five KRC. Did you hear a recent stash of t