Speaker 1: Welcome to the two seventeen Recovery Broadcast.
Speaker 2: If you don't make mistakes, you won't learn.
Speaker 1: With your host Corey Winfield, you.
Speaker 3: Know how you know fish as bad as you can't put it on pizza.
Speaker 1: And special guest Justin Burke.
Speaker 2: I said something about that to our master radio broadcaster and he said that he didn't hear nothing got your ass.
Speaker 3: It is Friday, January tenth, twenty twenty five. My name's Corey Winfield and I'm Justin Burke. Welcome the two seventeen Recovery Podcast. Justin Burke. Very special day for you yesterday. Yeah, it was is your five years continued? Sobriety?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 3: How that feel?
Speaker 2: It felt amazing? Actually five years five years. I never thought I would achieve the things I did in five years. Like when they talk about the promises and stuff, you know how things take time, and just trust the process, and like really trust the process. And even though it's going to take some time, be okay with that because evidently there's somewhere else in your life that needs improving before the thing that you want to happen happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah them stack Guy used to be a huge stack guy and I'm so dumb. I would look up treatment centers based on their success rate and I will call them and be like, what's your success rate? And because I wanted to know that, and they'll be like, oh, seventy eight percent. If you ever call a place and you ask them that and they give you a number, hang up, Yeah, don't go to that place because they're straight uplying to you because they don't know. They don't call back, like they can tell you how many people successfully complete treatment. But that's not what I was wanting to know. I wanted to know was I was I going to be healed? Were they gonna fix me?
Speaker 2: And I think that's where they get their success rate from, is how many people actually complete their program from the people that don't.
Speaker 3: Right, which is not what I want to know. I want to know. I wants to be fixed. And I didn't realize at the time that was like early on when I was going to treatment, I have to fix myself. Yeah, you know, like you can't go to treatment and expect them to fix you. Like, no one's going to fix you, not at all. It's all on you.
Speaker 2: It's on you being willingness to have the willingness to be guided through a process of recovery. And by guided, I mean by the peers that are around you, whether if it's your sponsor, a recovery coach, or whoever that you talk to on a daily basis. Those are the people that's trying to guide you. It could even be the people in the treatment center while you're there for the thirty sixty ninety days that are trying to show you the right direction to take. And like when I went through treatment, I found that out very quickly. Like a lot of people told me don't go to this sober living house because I wouldn't fit in, and you were like, no, you should really go there, Yeah, Like you want a good life, go there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And Jason the Beck was one thrown out numbers and I remember he said one time, and they could be bullshit numbers or whatever. I don't know, but he was like, if you live in sober living for six months after treatment and you do what you need to do and successfully move out of sober living, you have like a seventy eight percent chance to make it to a year. And then you start throwing other numbers out, and I remember one, I want to say it was him, threw it out there. But he said, if you make it to five years, you have like a ninety or ninety five percent chance to remain sober the rest of your life. Yeah, And I was like, hell yeah, so like a five year mark. It was a big deal. And so congratulations on that job. And then we had to go to a meeting last night. Yep. He used to be Families Against Narcotics. They changed their name to Face Addiction now. Yeah, so they're still fan, but just different fan. Yeah, and we were there, the two seventeen guys. We all showed up. Martie came, Little Parker was there, Corey jes see, Mitch. I mean the whole crew pretty much missing a couple of people, but the whole crew is there to show our support for Face Addiction now in Grand Travers County, and they support us and they actually have I guess you'd call it a scholarship for one of the services we provide as a transportation. And you know how it's funded. Right now, if somebody is in the Region two, which is NMR Northern Michigan, if they have Medicaid and they go to treatment and they have that, we can hook them up with a ride. But people who live in Lansing in southwest Michigan and in other areas they can't use the services because they have a different they you know, does their medicaid and stuff. And there's also people who have insurance but don't have three four hundred bucks to get to treatment, you know, and and that sucks. But Fan stepped in and they're like, hey, you know we can, we can help out and kind of get those people where they need to go. So we're like, all right, cool. So they did I don't know, five rides they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much out average, like five to seven rides.
Speaker 3: Yeah, since September when they started talking about, hey, we want to help out. So yeah, big props to them on that. And we wanted to shore Sport for them. And Jeff who's the president, comes to our events and he supports us. I'm like, we have to support them. You know. The last few meetings, they didn't have one in December, but I think November and October we were busy and nobody could make it.
Speaker 2: I actually went to the one in November, did you yep? Because that's when he said there was going to be board opportunities on DH that's right, And I came back to you because I took Justine because you said I actually really go to that. Yeah, I actually had the time. I said, well, if you don't mind me cutting not a few minutes to work early to be able to go get my daughter and take her to it, because she enjoys hanging around Jeff and and the rest of the board members there, like she's actually become part of who I am up here, and everybody knows. They're like, well, where's your daughter at? Yeah, you know, and it's it's kind of a great feeling to actually have that. But he said there was open board seats in November, and I came back past you. I was like, would you support me if I did that? You know, because sometimes they do their own things, you know, and on the weekends, it means I would be doing stuff for them, and if that was okay, you know, And you're like, no, I totally support that, and I fill up my applicate, finished filling it out what yesterday I had. I asked Mitch for a little bit of help. I was like, don't worry about hurting my feelings, just tell me the truth because I'm not really good at really deciding, like skills for myself, if that makes any sense, And like sometimes I'm a little too blunt, and so I'm like, well, oh, I don't think this one would work. And he's like, yeah, no, he was like, you're you're not the best at that justin He's like, you know what you're talking about, but you don't articulate good enough to be able to do that obviously. So thanks Mitch.
Speaker 3: Having fun with the board. Yeah, and Mitch's on the board as well for fan and I suggested he do that like last year and stuff because he wanted to be more involved in the community and the recovery community and stuff like that. And it's like it's a good way to be involved, you know, is to get out and do things. You just come to work and go home, Like sure, you accomplish some things, and but to be a real part of it, you know, and kind of step into a different role. And I think it's it's kind of big that we do kind of stuff like that. But you get accepted onto the board, yep. And then then then oh, they say, does anybody want to be Uh, we have some open seats in our you know, executive board member positions and we're looking for vice president we're looking for treasure secretary.
Speaker 2: Well, secretary was already off the table for me, right, Yeah, I'm not I'm not good at typing. I mean I can type, but it's like chicken peck. I never learned how to type in school. I may have allegedly paid someone else to do all my typing lessons the past typing class.
Speaker 3: So you're just like, I'll just go for a vice president.
Speaker 2: Well, treasure, I mean I could handle numbers.
Speaker 3: You know, like SCEL a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well right, I do know a little bit from doing our invoices here and stuff and how we record our data. We're how we've talked about recording our data and everything else. So I'm pretty fluent in that stuff. So treasure wouldn't have been too bad. But vice president why not?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Why not the least responsibility role, and you're the vice president, it's like being the vice president of the United States.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my god. And then Corey Smoker, our very own Corey Smoker, She's like, wait a minute, I just get my board application to you then too, because I'll be secretary. So then she steps in the secretary. Yeah, It's like wow, like we're two seventeen recoveries taking this over and I jokingly said, then, I'm like, they're not on our boards, but they're on this board. That's great, you know, but we'll see. I hopefully you guys aren't biting off more than you can chew. And like you said, what does the vice president do that?
Speaker 2: Filling for Jeff when he's not there right, which he told me in April he won't be there. Which I'm kind of nervous about that because, like I mean, I've gone to a few fan meetings over the years, but to actually have to step in and fill that role, I'm actually kind of nervous.
Speaker 3: How mad would you be if there's a fan meeting the night that we go to the Tigers game and Jeff's there and you're not sorry to the Tigers game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I think we would invite.
Speaker 3: Them to cancel the meeting that night.
Speaker 2: Well, if it's just a board meeting, just a board meeting, I mean, I'm sure we could rearrange that a little bit. Say sorry, two seventeens invited us all out to the Tigers game with them. You know, do you guys mind postponing in the game the meeting for a week. You know, let's go have some fun and recovery.
Speaker 3: Lots of fun and recovery.
Speaker 2: We had because we took Jeff last year to the Tigers game, right, So I mean that's nothing new that we don't. I mean that we do play well with others and in our community and everything else.
Speaker 3: With inviting them, do you believe they're still together? Who all the ship they've been through? Fan where the Tigers not your butt cheeks? I was waiting this whole podcast to do that joke that's triggered. Nah, But yeah, congrats on the five years and you know, on the role of being vice president and you know you're continuing journey in recovery and then the recovery community around here. It means a lot to be involved, man, and to have those responsibilities. And you might look at it like, oh, you know, there's not a lot to do, but there are some responsibilities. You know, like you said, you're already kind of nervous about it, but it'll all work out how it's supposed to. But to just sit back and go, I wish I would have been on the board. I wish I would have done this. I wish I would have done that. You know, like there's a lot of things I don't have to say because I just went out and did it. You know, I was on a fans board for a minute and it was a little too much for me. I had to step down. I was he and Rights Commissioner here in Traverse City for a while. Then Parker's birth. I was like, I really don't have time for this, and we're trying to expand and do different things at two seventeen Recovery, it is like I can't do it. Like I got on the MARCO board, which MARCO is the Michigan Association Recovery Community Organizations, And I don't know how much long' I gonna stand that. You know, I'm so busy trying to do this thing and do this and we really don't have a lot of time for tom foolery too, you know.
Speaker 2: And you have and you hold a lot of meetings just for what we do here and what we're trying to do in the future. And so like when someone says, oh, well we got a MARCO meeting, where a qRT meeting or whatever, You're like, man, can I just skip says today? Like I got it's more important to it.
Speaker 3: I know, and there's a lot of times where, you know, I would skip those meetings, and I thought to myself, like, how do these people have time to go to this so many meetings? Like they stink that in radio, you know, they would have meetings in Ben Harbor anyway. They would have meetings just to have meetings. They have a meeting of they had One time, I had a meeting about a meeting that was up, and I said, You've got to be shitting me, Like I have a radio station to run, I have stuff to do, and you guys are having a meeting about the upcoming meeting. That is stupid, like nothing's gonna have wasn't like an important like oh we got it. No, it was just they had nothing else to do in their job, and so they like to have meetings. It makes them feel good. But I'm not a big fan of that, Like I'll have a meeting when I need one, right. But and I'm not talking about AA meetings or recovering me. I'm talking about just like a meeting, a business meeting, you know, but some of these are just like oh my god.
Speaker 2: Well, honestly, if you're actually running things right, I mean, as the executive director I mean, like you have a lot on your plate with just day to day operations, looking for new grants and everything else, Like these grants just don't land in your lap.
Speaker 3: Sometimes. Not just kidding, no, but yeah, but you're right, and you know, like I said, the things that we want to do, and I know Marnie's a big part of that too, and she's picking up the slack and that aspect of like it's spinning off a totally different direction, which I think would be great for us. I personally can't invest much time in that project because we have to do what we're doing now because we do have funding, and we do have things that we have to accomplish with these grants that we have now. So it's like we got to take care of business here. But doesn't mean we can't expand and do other things. It's just I can't be that much invested in that project, you know, like in the end that I can just look at some things. Okay, maybe this may bee that, but you know, if you guys want to make it happen, you know, this is this is your baby, And I told her, this is your baby. You you can go figure that one out and.
Speaker 2: I'll help you with it, but just bring me like abrough draft of the project.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and yeah, I've been praying yeah, you know, that's a huge part of it right there. And some people are like, I don't believe it that. Oh that's cool, don't I do? And God has set with me and he will come to me in dreams. You know. He doesn't come down and be like, hey, do this, but I'll just have a dream, a weird dream, and I'll be like, why didn't I think about that? You know? And then I'm like, damn, there was a grant that came out that said those exact words, and let me go back and see it. I'm like, yep, we could have funded that with that dang. But when I saw it, I didn't even think about it because it wasn't on my mind. It wasn't on my radar. And that's why I'm saying, like God like talks to me, because he puts it in my head and it's like boom, like do this yeah, and they're like damn.
Speaker 2: And that's actually been well known through a lot of different cultures that the creator, God, whatever your pathway is, will come to you in dreams, and things like that were just maybe by hearing a clip on a radio station or something, you know, like ding light bob oh, he was definitely talking. That was there for that exact time for me to listen to it, because that was talking to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I do my praying and then as I'm praying about it, and then all of a sudden, people start reaching out like, hey, how come that this doesn't exist and how would we do that? I'm like, that's what we're working on. You want to be a part of it because we can definitely use the support. Yeah, you know, if you guys are saying, hey, we need this and let's talk, let's chat, you know, because we're already kind of going down that road. Yep. So it'll be interesting. But yeah, it does take up time though, and when you're involved in other things. But it's a good thing because at least you won't ever look back and go Man, I wish I would have been on the fan board. I wish I would have just went for it. I wish I would have done it to gain more experience and you know, to meet more people and to be more involved. And you can sit on the sideline all day, but sometimes you got to get in the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know a few of the four board members were fans from a previous organization I worked at. So I mean, it's not horrible.
Speaker 3: Right, And our phone is ringing?
Speaker 2: Yeah I heard that when obviously phones start ringing in your office.
Speaker 3: When people don't answer it at the front desk.
Speaker 2: I thought that thing was on silent.
Speaker 3: No, oh you changed it. Yeah, someone changed it. It rings and irritates this what we're doing podcasts now, it doesn't irritate us, but it does irritate us when it's the people calling that the wrong numbers are not the wrong numbers, but they have a right number. But just that person hasn't lived here in five years? Is chain? There is merry there. Yeah, that gets old and we're like, no, please don't call back, and then they cuss us out. We're like, I just said not to call back. Man.
Speaker 2: We both experienced that, Yeah, in the same day. Take us off your list.
Speaker 3: No, Mary doesn't live here, right, And sometimes we get animated with it. Sometimes it is fun, though, but a lot of times it's more irritating because you'll be on the other side of the building and then phone ring in and you got to go find it, and you get it and they're like hello, it's marry there like no nop click and then say bye, no hang up on you. I'm like, okay, cool, So I shouldn't feel bad hanging up on them next time, not one bit. Yeah, but yeah, today though, is a Friday in Michigan. It's it's a little little cold. I mean it's January, that's what happens.
Speaker 4: But out in California, man, man, they are burning up, dude, are they? Yeah, the whole LA region are they? It's on fire?
Speaker 3: Are they? Are we getting fake news?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's fake news. I do think. I do think there has to do with something with the president to be elected telling them four or five years ago that hey, you really need to fix this before something devastating happens, and no one bothered to fix it. They were giving monies to build reservoirs, and reservoirs were never built in these areas, and just so happen to be, these strong winds come in, like hurricane force winds they call him, like the Sierra winds or something, and someone decided they were gonna go light some fires where maybe televopole broke and sparked a fire.
Speaker 3: I heard it started in someone's backyard garden.
Speaker 2: I'm really not for sure. The one fire, the newest fire. They did catch someone leaving the area where the fire was started. Now, is he just the fall guy?
Speaker 3: I don't know, he's the patsy. Yeah, because my brother who lives out there, because I was like, bro, like what's going on? He lives in West Hollywood. I'm like, dude, why are you starting fires in your back garden? And he said it wasn't him, And he took a picture and sent it to us and you could see some some kind of burning or whatever. And I was like, so are you going to evacuate? And he's like now, I was like, this is not that bad? Is the news? Are they exaggerating it? He's like both. He's like some under exaggerated, others over exaggerate it, you know. And I think the national ones are over exaggerating it. But some of the videos coming in are crazy. Man, Like I saw this one dude. He had like this sprinkler system or what, I don't even know what it's called, but it's set up to like just kind of it just kind of just seeps out water all over his house. And he's in there with his kid or whoever it was, and their dog and they're just watching the fire like we'd be watching the snow fire. I mean it looked crazy.
Speaker 2: I did see that video. Actually, I'm like, how did someone take that video?
Speaker 3: Like? How would they stop? Be out?
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't trust that little sprinkler system or whatever he had, you know, on his house. And my brother was telling me that that's that's kind of a common thing out there, and a lot more common than you'd think. And I don't think he has it in his house, but he knows somebody who does. And he's like, yeah, they're fine, and like everybody else's house burned, not with theirs.
Speaker 2: And then I heard California defunded the fire department in LA like traumatically.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know about that. I know that they like the little fire hydrants that they have, like you were talking about the water system, like it's only enough like a house, yeah house, not the whole block, right, Like they didn't they don't have it like that.
Speaker 2: It's not like Michigan, you know. I mean it's really not.
Speaker 3: But you think though, because a lot of those homes, they won't And I guess six months ago they went ahead and stopped doing fire wildfire insurance in LA, like they wouldn't even offer it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because well, and that's then everything that really strikes me funny is okay, All State State Farm where the two major ones that pulled out because they're like, well, if we were to charge them wildfire insurance, that would be like through the roof California limits how much you're allowed to charge for insurance has like a premium. They're like, well, it doesn't fit our budget at that rate, so we can't offer it. And I do know years ago they were talking about how much shrub and just stuff needed to be cleaned up, you know in certain areas in cases did ever happen, and here we are it happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But they think, though, though, with the money that you'd save on that not having to get that insurance, you would just buy a sprinkler system and put it in your house or roof for what those other people did, because okay, that costs ten grand to do it, all right, I think the money you're saving that you don't have to pay insurance, you know, and at least fire insurance. I mean, I don't know if I have fire insurance.
Speaker 2: Well, well, I'm kind of curious how these people still had water to protect their home when all the hydrants were empty.
Speaker 3: I think that comes from a whole different water system. Like if you turn on your tap water, it's not going to be the the fire. You're not taken from the fire hydrant.
Speaker 2: No, not typically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so maybe they haven't hooked into their water. They have the highest water bill probably, but at least they have a house. You can work with the water department.
Speaker 2: Right And for anyone listening, we're not being insensitible to anybody.
Speaker 3: I don't know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Really, do go out to the people that live in LA and who have lost their homes because they said two days ago the damage exceeded over fifty billion dollars. Wow, And today I think that numbers probably at least doubled, if not tripled. I mean there's Malibu beach homes gone.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it's devastating out there right now. It's it's just as devastating as the hurricanes that hit the hurricane that hit Tennessee and North Carolina. D you know, just a different natural disaster. One was water, one was fire. You know, and it's it's devastating.
Speaker 3: And I was going to play a clip on the podcast. It's about this news reporter that was doing a news report about, Hey, the fire is happening and we're out here, and this guy just nonsintly walks up and he's like, hey, what's going on and she's like, well, nothing, the fire and he's like, yeah, there's fires, huh. And she's like yeah, there are and he's like that's wild or something. And then she's he asked how they started and she's like, well, I don't know, I don't know they started. And then he blames a certain group of people for the fire starting, and the other news guy said it was very inappropriate. Yeah, and they kind of moved on, but it was it was way better. Remember that was going around back in the day when people would jump on and say blank her right in the blank. Yeah, that was like kind of a national thing, like it was for a long time. Yeah, the one dude started it and then other people just continued it, you know, and like you're right in the blank, right, And so at least it's moved on from that, I guess. But who he blames for the fire, I don't think is it.
Speaker 2: No, not not at all.
Speaker 3: That's wild speculation, very wild. It's still kind of funny to say it, though.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't even guess that spectrum of people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wouldn't either.
Speaker 2: You know, not from what they portray at all, because that's just not them.
Speaker 3: Maybe, But for that being the reason, it's just stupid. Yeah, but it was funny and you you said, no, we should not play that. We're not going to play you the audio. But if you just google search, you know, man on the news in La blames fires on people, you'll you'll find it. It's it's all over the internet, so you can't find it if you want to seek that out. But yeah, we're going to go ahead and not play that audio just because, yeah, obviously it's inappropriate.
Speaker 2: Maybe fifteen fifteen years ago we could have got away with it.
Speaker 3: Automated song out of it, oh, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: But in today's day and age, no.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would hurt some people's feelings maybe, but you know, well, my brother living out there though, he does say that, you know, some some of it seems a little overkill and the others and the others are just kind of like way under killing. Yeah, but the damage is happening, and yeah, that would suck, man, And I told him I just have snow to deal with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, the part that really sucks is like the whole palaes Tin if I believe I'm saying that part of La right, that's just gone. And I think that's where the first fire started. And that's just that whole community is gone. And I wouldn't say they're necessarily like overly rich, but people that have done well for themselves live there. It's it's a family area, if that makes any sense. You know, it'd be like kind of living like where you live at. You know, it's not crazy expensive to live there, but it's not the cheapest place to live neither.
Speaker 3: You know, call my mansion petty.
Speaker 2: I didn't call it petty. I didn't call it petty. I said, you weren't in the hood. But but but you're definitely not in the gated community in the hills. You are in the hills.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on the Holiday Hills, not the Hollywood Hills. But that's all right.
Speaker 2: But but but that's what I'm saying that that's where I would kind of graft that one area that dead burn drastically the most devastating area would be kind of like your community where you live at.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were saying that celebrities and stuff that have lost our house and stuff feel bad for them, the musicians you know fires, no joke, Yeah, like tornadoes and fires. Not a fan, No, I mean.
Speaker 2: I do eventually one year, I do want to go out to like Oklahoma during tornado season. I really do.
Speaker 3: I have nothing. There's no that's it's stupid. The most thing I think you said in the last thirty minutes.
Speaker 2: It probably is, But I don't know. Tornadoes have always fascinated me ever since I was a kid.
Speaker 3: Tornadoes don't care. They don't They don't even like fire, like fire doesn't care either. No, I've been struck by fire. I I've had a house burnt down, been struck by fire.
Speaker 2: Yep, well not like struck, but I had a house burnt down when it was two thousand nineteen, also recently kind of Yeah, lost everything I owned, damn. Yep. I actually dug through the ashes of the house fire to find my grandmother's ashes because I knew kind of where they were at.
Speaker 3: I was sitting there. You're like, I have back in there.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I can't even open the urn anymore. It's all seas together from being through a fire and stuff. But I actually because I had a dresser set up like a long dresser, and where I was staying at we didn't have room for the night stands, so we put the night stands up on top of the dresser. It was kind of weird.
Speaker 3: I know what in the Baldwin, Michigan you have going on there, buddy?
Speaker 2: Maybe it may been a little tweakers status for a little bit, maybe a lot of it.
Speaker 3: How'd the fire start?
Speaker 2: My guess would be a faulty extension court because when I went to go unplug my girlfriend's phone from the charger, I got zapped, and I'm like, okay, whatever, because that's most likely high amth.
Speaker 3: I'll just plug that back in later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I left. I went to go take her to work, and by the time I got back home, which was her actually her mom's guest house, it was already engulfed. And I just from sitting where I was sitting at because the house was down this crazy hill in the wintertime, there was no getting a car out of there unless you had a four wheel drive. I didn't care how good at tires you had on the front wheel drive car. It wasn't climbing that hill, and so I would park on top of the hill and walk down. And well, when I parked, I just got downe putting in a woodstove like a week before that.
Speaker 3: Maybe it was the woodstole.
Speaker 2: You think that's why I thought. When I was just sitting there talking on the phone, seeing smoke, I'm like, oh, this is cool woodstoves going. House is nice and warm, and here I am for forty for like forty minutes, sitting in my car, and after I realized what was going on, I'm just like, fuck, I just watched my house burnt down and just didn't give two ships because I was high, and I just thought, was my woodstove going. Talking to somebody on the phone.
Speaker 3: This house is just some golfs and flames, and you're like, oh, wood stove look look looking pretty good today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it was weird, man. But I did lose everything I owned, and that was the only thing that I actually found out of the fire.
Speaker 3: Did you go get your girlfriend from work like yo, or use let her finish her shift, not worry about.
Speaker 2: It Toiler's basil, stay at work we need that money go buy new ship. Now, I mean, I mean, what else do you do? You know at that point, it's not like you can come home and save anything. You don't have anything to come home to, you know. I mean I did tell her, but at the same point, well, you may as well keep working because we're going to need to figure out something to get new clothes and everything. Dude, it was rough.
Speaker 3: Hmm. Yeah. I don't wish that upon anyone. No, it's bad stuff, bad news, but at least you're safe. I guess weren't there when it happened. I mean even if though, if you were there when it happened, maybe you could have called the fire department or something, but it.
Speaker 2: Would have took the fire department twenty minutes to get there. It would have been gone anyways.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was an old sixties trailer that had an addition built onto it, almost like the full length. So and that was the guest house in Baldwin. Man. Don't don't act like you and don't ever see a trailer with an addition in Coloma.
Speaker 3: Nope, I never have.
Speaker 2: Never.
Speaker 3: No. If you go almost fancy place, that's where I grew up. That's where I was went to school.
Speaker 2: But no, well if you go a little further north, like Pullman and stuff, like, it's rather.
Speaker 3: There's nothing on Pullman. There's just meth trailers out there. That straight up told the police about it, and they're like, yeah, people don't make their own meth anymore, they just all they just buy it from Mexico. I'm like, dude, it's not Walmart. Yes they do, they just don't bust them anymore. They don't care.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, it's crazy, but yeah, that, yeah, that happened to me. And then like I just dove deep into addiction for about a year and a half after that and ended up coming up here.
Speaker 3: So did the whole trailer burn down though, or just your little.
Speaker 2: The addition burnt down and then like the front part of the trailer burned up, like the back half was all like okay, but it was heavily smoke damaged. Like there was nothing in my daughter's room salvageable, and the fire didn't even get back there just from all the soot and smoke damage that carried to the back.
Speaker 3: That's what her mama say about it.
Speaker 2: Her mama didn't really know what to say, you.
Speaker 3: Know, my trailer gone, yep, Oh lord Jesus, there's a fire.
Speaker 2: But you know, what do you do? You pick up and you just you got to move on.
Speaker 3: With Life's where'd you go after that? I ended up.
Speaker 2: Turning one of the sheds in the property into like a living.
Speaker 3: Space back Yeah there you go, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I mean, tweaker status all the.
Speaker 3: Way, like nothing. We've been waiting to living this shit anyway.
Speaker 2: You know, it works for We ended up getting a fifth wheel I got from a friend of mine for I don't know, like a thousand bucks, and another buddy of mine hauled it there for me. So I mean, that's as far as I know that. She still stays in that fifth wheel, and it was kind of ran down when we bought it. It was just like a temporary thing, like cheap, but it was like thirty eight foot fifth wheels.
Speaker 3: So wow. But yeah, she'd start a podcast called the Baldwin Files or something. Oh no, let's talking about how people living in Baldwin, Michigan. Let me do it.
Speaker 2: It's some subspontsorve rough, very redneck killed billy engineering.
Speaker 3: That's finest. Yeah, well cool, I'm glad you came on the podcast today and we can celebrate your five years with a little fun podcast and talk about fires in Baldwin.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you, man, and I hope you have a great weekend. And go Lions on their bye week.
Speaker 2: Go Lions.
Speaker 3: Bet you they're not going to lose this week. What do you get in the playoffs? Real quick? What like this week? It's what the Chargers versus the Texans, and you got Pittsburgh versus Baltimore, and you have the Eagles playing somebody and hang on, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna go look it up right now, So won't you Google it on your computer? And I'm gonna look it up and then we can figure out how this is.
Speaker 3: And we'll think the Eagles are playing the Packers.
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 3: And then Minnesota and the Rams. They should change their name to the La Fires e La Fire. No. I like Minnesota to win, and it'll be interesting because if Minnesota wins, it won't be interesting because they're gonna come back and play Detroit and Detroit. But if Stafford can win and then have to come back again, would they make that the primetime game Stafford coming back to Detroit or would they still be all over homes.
Speaker 2: Probably still the late game repeat.
Speaker 3: I hope Detroit doesn't have late game because they're gonna have a watching party at the two seventeen Recovery Center.
Speaker 2: But as far as AFC goes, you know, I'd really kind of like to see the Broncos try to go somewhere. I know, they gotta play the Bills and Josh Allen's just because they're murder them. They're playing in Buffalo, so that game's kind of goes to the Bills. Who else is above them? And then you got the Ravens versus not really for sure right off him.
Speaker 3: Steelers.
Speaker 2: Yes, Steelers, Now that could be a nasty little game, depends on how Russell Wilson wants to play.
Speaker 3: And Baltimore hasn't been good in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: For a while, so no, So I mean all I honestly I'd like to see the Steelers win and then the Texans beat the Chargers. But Texans have kind of like shot themselves in the foot lately over the past five weeks, so I don't know how they even made the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was surprising like they made the playoff because they've been playing a crap So what about the Packers Eagles.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, that one's hard. I'd like to see the Packers win, even though not Che's head. I just Eagles don't need to do nothing. Yeah, you know, but they rusted everybody, so they got pretty much like a bye. They did the same thing the Chiefs did pretty much all week eighteen. We're gonna rest everybody, you know. I heard some players that was their decision to sit on the bench and not break records.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I like, I don't want the Eagles to win, but I think the Eagles will beat the Packers. Yep. I think that the Texans will lose. So I got the Chargers on that one. I'm gonna take the Ravens even though they haven't really played well in the playoffs lately. And I'll take the Bills over Denver.
Speaker 2: How about Buccaneers and Commanders.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna take the Bucks.
Speaker 2: Really, Yeah, I'm gonna take the Bucks. Yeah, I'm gonna take the Commanders.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna take Minutes over La.
Speaker 2: I I want to do that. I'm going to take La over Minnesota. Sam Donald had a good year, but I mean, after watching last week's game, shoot, the Rams ain't no slout this time of year, like they've been playing on fire for the past six seven weeks.
Speaker 3: And I still don't know how the Seahawks didn't get it in the playoffs. I'm so confused. The same record as the Rams, Like, I don't know whatever the deciding factor of that was. But I think with the Rams during the regular season.
Speaker 2: It came down to divisional games, and I think the.
Speaker 3: When Rams had a better divisional record. Yeah, yep, yeah, I would have liked to see Seattle in there. But whatever, we'll see. And that's our playoff picks as we wrap up the podcast, but thanks for listening, and if you want more episodes, feel free listen there on the app and at two seventeen recovery dot com.
Speaker 1: Later, thanks for listening to the two seventeen Recovery podcast. Listen to over nine hundred episodes on the two seventeen Recovery app that's free in your app store or online at two seventeen recovery dot com.