Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to the show. I'm Martin Willis, your host, and we have a great show for you this evening. I met our guest, Scott Guerin, out at Contact in the Desert, and he was hanging out with a future guest coming up, Jeff Nucicelli, who will be coming up sometime, I believe it's the first or second week in October. That'll be another great show. Tonight's guest has a book that's called Hiding in Plain Sight, and it's a book about Objects that he's seen in the upper atmosphere and has documented and filmed and taken pictures of. And so just a couple of things upcoming here. Next week, I have Rich Hoffman on Tuesday. But this coming Thursday, I do have a show and it's going to be Grant Lovick. It's going to be on at the regular time, Thursday at 8 p.m. However, I'm not sure if I'm going to be available or not. I'm going to be on a plane, I do believe, at that time. and heading to the MUFON symposium. And so if you happen to be out there, please do look me up. All you have to do is reach out to me through my website, podcastufo.com. There's a contact form right there. And while you're over there, check out the blog. We have blogs every week. And this week is another great one from our longtime blogger, Charles Lear. And that's called UFO Landing Reports and Unique. Trace Evidence in Ontario, Canada. So make sure you check that out. And while you're over there, if you want an ad-free experience, there's a couple of ways you can do that. You can watch the show live, always here on YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter. And you can also go over to Patreon and just for $ 2 or more a month, you can get an ad-free experience for audio on any audio player. They have a full setup for that over there. So I do hope to see some people at the MUFON event coming right up. And then we'll be back and at it. We have some great guests coming up. I know that I do believe that next Thursday will be Philip Mantle. He's always a he's a British longtime UFO researcher. And I think I've had him on the show for almost 14 years, something like that off and on. And so, yeah, check that out next Thursday. That'll be right here. on wherever you are watching live, or it will be an audio podcast as well. So time to bring in my guest. Scott, welcome.
Speaker 2: Hey, Martin. Glad to be here.
Speaker 1: Glad to have you. And it was really, was that your first time at Contact in the Desert? Yes. Yeah. What a fun event that is, isn't it?
Speaker 2: That was a great time. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. I know this is That was my second one. And I just plan on going every single year. I was just, I don't want to miss it. But yeah, Nick Pope, who we lost months ago, used to call that the burning man of UFOs. I thought that was well put. And not really that far from there.
Speaker 2: Good description.
Speaker 1: And so at some point I want to talk to you because I had mentioned as I was announcing you upcoming on my show that you also had quite an experience where you fell out of the sky, basically over 3000 feet. And here you are, you're still here today. That's quite a miracle. But we'll talk about that a little bit later on. So how did you get interested in the UFO topic to begin with?
Speaker 2: I guess as far as the topic itself, certainly a wide area to that and began probably in childhood with television shows from Lost in Space, Star Trek, My Favorite Martian, I Dream of Jeannie, all those things that kind of alluded to extraterrestrial or outer space. And then there were reports now and then about the UFO being sighted. And so there was always a little bit of interest that way, and then the, just the idea that it was always possible just because of the indoctrination through, through the TV shows that were there. Over the years, I didn't always think about it, busy with life, busy with, once I got older, working, and then later in, in the Air Force, and I had certainly an interest in things that I saw in the air, and always paying attention, thinking that maybe someday I'll see something. A few years later, the shows come out with ancient aliens and things like that and unsolved mysteries and really more interest when those type of things would come on. And then at a time when I was working overseas with talking to one of my friends and we'd talk about the different things that were shown and I'd always say, man, nobody ever gets a good picture. Everything's always blurry. And I was like, one of these days I'm going to get I'm going to see something. I'm going to get pictures. I always, from then on, I always kept the cameras with me just about probably 98, 99% of the time. It was always sometimes when I couldn't have it for different reasons, but, and then I had it with me when I was in Panama city beach, Florida, and saw something that I didn't know what it was. I couldn't identify it as a normal aircraft or helicopter and, Something weird that I thought. And so I started taking pictures. And that's later after different attempts to find out what it was through different UFO organizations. And I'm going to publish a book with it and see where it goes from there and share my story that way.
Speaker 1: And how's that gone for you? How's the book? Has the book been well-received?
Speaker 2: I think it's been well-received. I've had a lot of people that have spoken to me one-on-one since the book and said, hey, I saw this and I didn't know what it was. I never told anybody. People, I saw something. It's a range. Some people talk about they saw something come out of the water. They didn't know what it was. Other people talk about seeing something in the air. As far as reception that way, people that have spoken to me they liked it i'm sure not everybody does and as far as i say how it's been receptive in sales i wouldn't say it's a blockbuster or anything like that but it keeps plugging along.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah what's up it's hard to get first of all to capture anything and for you just to have done that a few times i think is really something because i have to tell you when i had I didn't have a situation like you where I would think that I would, I'm that way now. I could grab my phone out of my pocket and film something quickly. But when I had my first, when I had my UFO sighting at first in 2007, if I had a phone next to me, of course they didn't have that ability at that time, or much of an ability for pictures. But if I had a camera next to me, I would not have thought to pick it up and film or take pictures. I just, Just it wouldn't occur to me because I was in the moment. What is this thing? That type of thing.
Speaker 2: So I get it. Yeah. So in that sense, I did when I first saw it and looked at it. It's not an aircraft. It's not a helicopter. I had my phone right there and was quick to get it and take pictures and video. And I did that probably snapped off probably about 30 pictures right away with that. And then I set it down and then I picked up like, a regular camera, 35 millimeter camera with a zoom lens and started taking pictures. Cause I had that with me as well. And that, when I say keep my camera with me, that's what I'm talking about. Not just my phone. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the phones today are much better. The newer phones that will actually zoom because the old phones, when you'd zoom, it would be all distorted and you just couldn't get it. But the new ones are, they're much more capable of doing that. But yeah, to have a real good camera with you with a zoom lens, that makes a difference. So I actually have some of those pictures up and I had grouped some of them together just to show our audience. And also, if you're listening to this audio, I will have the images in the show notes. All you have to do is click the show notes that are inside of the right inside the text of this show. So this one is I do believe this one was. One you have on your book, right? This particular one? Yes. And I wasn't sure if you were able to see that or not, but now on these, these pictures here, what are these two that we're looking at right here?
Speaker 2: To tell you exactly what it is. I don't know what it is. So I know you've taken them out of sequence there a little bit. I don't know what the one on the left is from a 1012. So that is a section of it that looks like it's an eye. of the craft. There's one on each side of it. And when I used a filter on it, I was able to see different areas in the object. And this is one of them that came out that just looked very odd to me. It could be natural or it could be something that was machined. I'm sorry. Sorry about that. That's all right. Yep. Put it on do not disturb, but that doesn't matter. I guess some people are still going to come through, but I just thought that was odd in there. It looks, it's very weird in the section of it where I say it looks like an eye. The other picture that you had up was that object 112 that changed the Very distracting. It changed into, it went from that object 112, so that next picture of the team. And so it's doing some type of change. I don't know what it's doing other than to say it's transforming itself like a metamorphosis. I don't know exactly what it is, what it's doing. And then after that circular shot, Then it came out, and a few seconds later, back into a shape that was very similar to the one it started in. Okay.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry I have these out of sequence. I'm just looking to see if I can find the original.
Speaker 2: That's okay. Those are more in sequence than I thought. Just to see that one section of it threw me for a section versus the whole picture. That was good.
Speaker 1: I see. Okay. All right. And were these taken, you said 2000, did you say 2012? 2012. What are the spans of all these pictures that you've taken?
Speaker 2: These were taken in 2019.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And the span is about a three-hour section of time over the course of three hours. They're all in sequence of that three-hour time that I was able to see it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I got it. I got it. And the video as well?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Oh, so this was all one sighting? Yep. Okay, but this is what's really strange is when I put up these pictures, these were part of it as well? Yes.
Speaker 2: Oh, wow.
Speaker 1: That is weird how it could have changed as much as it did. And how about this one right here? Is this, this is showing, and I was wondering if you, if it was just filters that you used to see this?
Speaker 2: Yes. I think that is picture 1065. When I took the picture, I could see the object with my glasses I was wearing. But sometimes when I was not wearing the glasses, I could not see it. So I was wearing the glasses, which I should have probably put them in front of the lens of the camera. But wearing the glasses, I could see it through the lens finder and I took a picture. When I downloaded the pictures, all it showed was a blue sky. I knew that I had taken a picture of the object, so I thought since I was able to see it with my polarized sunglasses, which are filters in itself, and our eyes, like our ears, have a limited range of frequencies that we hear and see, I thought I could probably put filters over the picture. and maybe be able to see it like I did with my glasses and eventually I was able to find it on filters and it's that very light circular object the arrow is pointing to which when you look in the video you can see the object itself go through those transformations and it goes into that circular shape disappears and then it comes back into visibility so That is what that is right there.
Speaker 1: And these images here are different filters or things that you used?
Speaker 2: A couple of them have filters on them, yeah. The two on the top right do not have a filter on them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I combined all these together just because of the limited space that I have, so I'm sorry if they're not in order of any type.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So one of the, one of the, the, the, the order I thought was important for several of them was to note that was the object itself that was in a shape. Then it went through the transformation and then it came back in, in a similar shape. So that was why when I see them in that order.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. So I apologize for that. It's the, the program that I have here, I just can't get them up that many pictures. It just does not have the capability. But I did get the video. I don't know. Would you like me to play that now? Sure.
Speaker 2: I'll see how it comes up.
Speaker 1: And also anyone in chat that's in there, if you have any questions for the guests, just make sure you put them in all caps and I'll try to get to them. Here we go with this. So this starts out for slow motion here. And so would you have any guess at all about how far up this was far away from you? It would just be a guess.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a couple of miles away, maybe 5,000 feet high, 10,000 at times when it was moving around. And I've heard people say, well, could you see something like that? And I said, what I saw initially was the bright shining part of it, which is you can think about in a survival situation, many people are saved by using a mirror. shining it at the sun and flashing it to an aircraft passing overhead. And that could be 5, 10, 15 miles away. You could see these flashes. So that's what I saw initially. And then I started videoing it and taking pictures of it.
Speaker 1: Yep. Some of this is your handshaking, I believe.
Speaker 2: Oh, that little bit right there was handshake, yes.
Speaker 1: Yep. Now, is this with the better camera of the two that you had with you? Yes. And so you took this and this is where you got the stills from? You enlarged and you got the stills from?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: No? A whole different thing?
Speaker 2: All the still pictures were taken separately as a separate image of each picture.
Speaker 1: I see. Okay. And So once you took those, that's when you started looking at them, you could see that the thing was morphing and changing and all that?
Speaker 2: Yes. I could see I was doing that with my eyes. Something weird was happening to it, but I couldn't see the detail until I zoomed in on it.
Speaker 1: And was there anyone else there with you also seeing this, or were you by yourself?
Speaker 2: I was by myself in the We're in the hotel. I was on a balcony. But there were many people, ground level. None of them were looking up that I could see.
Speaker 1: Oh, really?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of times that, I don't know, I've had. I was on the back of a boat in Miami and thought I was seeing a UFO. Ended up being, I think it was a plane pulling a banner and just the angle of it. It looked like this thing morphing. And I took video of it. And I was saying to other people around me, look at that, look at that over there. And they're like, all right, buddy, go away.
Speaker 2: I did it. And there's some things look weird. And when you try to take pictures and identify them, but nobody's identified it yet. If they haven't come forward or I suspect somebody, person or agency or whatever group may have seen these things before, may be aware of them. but nothing has officially been identified.
Speaker 1: Has anyone suggested that it might be like a partially inflated mylar?
Speaker 2: I've heard that a few times, but what happens to a partially inflated mylar?
Speaker 1: It inflates the higher it goes. Really, the gas expands, and they usually break in the upper. They usually expand and pop, basically, what happens.
Speaker 2: And then what?
Speaker 1: Then it would just come down.
Speaker 2: They stayed up there for three hours.
Speaker 1: Oh, three hours.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow.
Speaker 1: And what was the wind like that day? Do you remember anything like that?
Speaker 2: At the surface level, it seemed to be mild. But when you get into altitudes, it's hard to say. Different layers.
Speaker 1: That's right. That's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's really interesting. And I'm glad you were able to share that and get that out there and move on. And you said you reported it a couple of different places? Yes.
Speaker 2: Did i think it's a national ufo organization i made a report that was public became public knowledge because i saw it was picked up on on other websites had posted it and posted some of the video that i have out on youtube and that was the british earth and aerial mystery society was the first website organization that I saw had it. They speculated that it was a crypto creature. I had never personally thought about creatures, crypto creature, or any type of biologic being And our atmospheres are flying around in outer space until then. But then I thought about it and why couldn't it be true? I think that's certainly a possibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I have a audio blog that I put out in a blog written by Charles Lear that has to do with that exact same thing. People claiming over the years that these things could be alive in the atmosphere. And, and yeah, check that out on our YouTube channels there. That I can't remember exact creatures in the sky, I think it's called. So this is we have a couple of questions here. How steady was the directional movement of the object?
Speaker 2: It's hard to say directional movement since it stayed in the relatively the same section of the sky that I was looking at. But the fast movement of it was when it was transforming itself, as you see in the video and then. It's certainly stable on its own. I don't perceive it to be unstable. I just perceive it to be doing something that I don't know what it's doing.
Speaker 1: And so sometimes it would stop and then you could see the movement. It's kind of hard to tell on the video. It looks like it's moving in the video. And then, but it would stop, would it hover for a while and then move again? That type of thing?
Speaker 2: Yes. And so some of that movement, when... The object itself, when you look at the pictures, you look at the video, you can see that those bright areas, at first I thought they were lights blinking, but when you look at the pictures, you can see it's not an ordinary light. It's part of the skin of the object. And it's moving to me like an octopus or a cuttlefish would move the colors around on its skin. Those bright areas are small, they're large, they move around, and then it seems that they consume it, and then it spins at a tremendous high rate of speed, like that other picture you saw, number 13, looked like a large donut. And then it disappears, like it's a solid object, and it's just so fast, not even a second, and then it comes back into view, and it's in a new shape, multispectral.
Speaker 1: It is an intriguing, that's perfectly round circle right there. That's something. And did it eventually go away?
Speaker 2: Eventually, yeah.
Speaker 1: And how did it leave? Did it go quickly or slowly?
Speaker 2: Very quickly. I was not going to be able to stay there all day where I was because I had an event that I was going to that evening. And I remember thinking, like, I hope this object goes away pretty soon. I'm going to be late. I'm going to stay here all day looking at it. And then it just faded right in pretty quickly, just went right out of sight.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: There's another question here. Do you think it was from Elgin Air Force Base? Did that cross your mind? That would have to be some type of experimental craft or something if it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's Eglin. Is that how it's pronounced down there?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all right. That's all right. Not a problem. But anything's possible there. Eglin's not the only base in the Panhandle. The Panhandle has a lot of military activity, probably one of the largest, if not the largest by landmass, what would be considered base property, hundreds of thousands of acres where they do all kinds of experiments out there. And I was actually closer to Tyndall Air Force Base than I was to Eglin Air Force Base. So anything's possible. I would want usually experiments and things like that. Maybe I've never noticed them before, but that was something that would be highly classified in nature. I don't think they generally test them over populated areas along there, although they could get up in that. Eglin Air Force Base or up in the National Forest up there, and they're not as populated, but they're still. You've got the middle of the day populated areas. Testing grounds for those ultra-secret projects are generally considered to be somewhere over the desert, one of the secret bases out there, which Area 51 was long associated with experiments like that. So anything's possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's right, yeah. So this person wanted to know what you thought about the files. I don't know if you looked into them, about all the video files that are released and documents, things like that. I want your opinion, what you think about it.
Speaker 2: I think that what's being released is mostly all information that's already been released over the years or recently. There's really no groundbreaking findings. proof of anything that's been released other than you do have officials. You had President Obama a couple of years ago, and he said, hey, there's something out there, something up there, and we don't know what it is. So that's disclosure right there, but just not seeing something that's an actual craft or object or humanoid or non-human intelligence. I think when it's time to be released, it will, and the probably the government won't have full control of it. It'll be apparent to everybody when it happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've often wondered about that, if this is going to be like a controlled situation or what they really know and don't know. Hopefully we'll find out eventually here. So this is from Chief Von Beef. Thanks for the question. Scott, given your pararescue background, did the weather balloon explanation ring true to you at the time or did your training make you question it?
Speaker 2: When I heard it, it did not ring true at all. Look at that. That's been the common, maybe the common, one of the very common explanations is the things we see are weather balloons. If you can go online and you can Google pictures of weather balloons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've seen them.
Speaker 2: You can see a lot of different amazing shapes of weather balloons, but they don't change shape. They don't disappear. They stay in a fixed shape. So I didn't think that at all. I've been part of releasing smaller weather balloons, just small round ones out with combat control team members and some of the things we've done there when we're out in the field or wherever it might be and getting weather data and releasing the smaller weather balloons, which I did not think that this was in any way, shape or form, anything that I'd ever had a part of as a balloon. And I just thought it was a brush off to me to be told that it was a weather balloon and where that came from. I know Martin, if you've read my book or not, but I detail my whole story in there. And that part of it was early on when I took these pictures. And then I downloaded them to my laptop a few weeks later. And I saw the object much clearer. And I thought, wow, this is weird. This is like nothing I've ever seen before. I don't know what it is. But it might possibly be a government project. And my thought was, I'm not going to release it if it is. I've been in the military 22 years. I'm a patriot, all that kind of stuff, where it's like, hey, if we got a secret project, I don't want anybody but our own government to be aware of it. So I contacted one of my friends, military, active, still active, told them what was up, going on. They could say, I can see you're pretty excited about it. Send me some pictures. I'll get them to an analyst and find out what this is. I said, great. A few weeks later, I got word back. My friend said, contact. The analyst said that they don't know what it is. I think, okay, this is a highly trained military analyst that doesn't know what this is. So, but they will send them, they're going to send them to another agency that has a better capability to analyze pictures. And I said, great, that'd be great. We'll find out what it is. And I don't know who that was. And I don't know which agency it was. I never asked and said, all right, that's great. and if it was something that came back and said, yep, this is classified, and you have signed previous NDAs for your job and things you've been involved in, and we want you to sign another one, I would have done it, but a couple weeks later, I get back word that from whoever analyzed them said that it's a weather balloon, and when I heard that, I thought, man, that's just the same brush off that everybody gets.
Speaker 1: I think it's like the number one, someone just wrote in the chat, the number one, it's in the number one debunk column is the weather balloon.
Speaker 2: Then I reached out. It's okay. Nope. They don't care. Obviously, if it's a weather balloon, they're going to tell me that they don't care what I do with them. So I reached out to a few different people that were well-known in the UFO community. And the one person that I went back and forth with was Nick Pope. We communicated about these pictures and we had a little in common ground because I was stationed in England, two of my assignments. And I was at Woodbridge and right there at Rendlesham Forest. So we talked about that a little bit. And I sent him some pictures and he said, he didn't know what it was. I said, I don't know what to do with them. He said, you should submit a report to MUFON and other organizations. And I did. And I also, in the back of my mind, knowing that these reports will never go anywhere. And I'm thinking the only way to get this out is to publish it. So it is my report in my own, I don't know what it is. I'm just taking pictures and writing what I see and what I think it might be or might be doing. I don't know. It's all guesses. But Nick said, yeah, get it out there. Maybe somebody will come out of the woodwork that knows what it is. And so that's what I did. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Let's see. This is another question here from Dr. Richard. Can't lightweight materials be carried high into the sky by the air currents? Yeah, but they're not going to be flying off fast. That's the difference right there. So, in my opinion of the story you're telling me, if this thing took off fast, then that kind of makes all those theories, including a weather balloon, just fall apart, really.
Speaker 2: Certainly, lightweight things, other things can be blown into the air by the wind, but When the wind stops, they fall to the ground or they just continue to blow away. This didn't do that.
Speaker 1: And how long did you, could you repeat how long was this in the air that you were there watching it?
Speaker 2: On my sighting, it could have been there longer before I first noticed it. But over the time I saw it was about three and a half hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a long time to see something in one area. A long time. If it was something just drifting in the wind or whatever, it would have been gone forever. within 20 minutes, really, realistically, I would think. I'm no expert, but I'm just thinking that makes sense that it would be gone pretty quickly. And wow, so that's a long time. And that's a lot of patience because I've heard other people say that they have, my producer's mother, they were all watching this UFO and she just got bored and walked in the house. That's what people do a lot of times.
Speaker 2: Looking back on it, I had my focus on a couple other things that day where I had my goal set for the pushups. I had a goal for the year, so I didn't want to get too far behind and end up making up 10 or 20,000 pushups in a day. I was focused on my pushups, and then I was also preparing for a presentation that evening. So I would do a set of pushups, and then I was kind of preparing to go over a little bit of my rehearsing process. for the night's presentation and extemporaneous speaking. A lot of rehearsal goes into that. And so when I was doing pushups and I caught that light, that flash, that bright object, and then I looked up, I watched it, realized it wasn't, started taking pictures, but my focus did not stay on that object. Looking back, I wish it had have stayed there and I could have put the pushups off for another day. and just focus more and taking more video and more pictures and everything like that. But so I do a set of pushups. I see it. Oh, it's still there. I'll take more pictures. I do a set of pushups. Oh, it's still there. Take more pictures. Do a set of pushups. Go rehearse. Oh, it's still out there. Take more pictures. And so that went on. And then later, I was like, I got to take a shower. I took a shower. 30 minutes later, oh, it's still out there. I took a few more pictures. And then this went on during that time period, like say three, three and a half hours. And so I didn't give it the full attention that I wish I had have given to it. Hindsight looking back, it's like, man, if I ever see that again, take pictures until I run out of battery or disk space. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was out last year, I was out at Mount Shasta and they had an object like that. I think it was for a whole hour. And everybody was outside taking pictures of it. And it was in the local newspaper and all that. I have a picture somewhere of it. But it was just like an orb just floating there. And it looked almost like a moon, that bright during the day, bright white, just sitting there. It's so bizarre. But I'm glad that you did that. You took the time to at least document what you saw. And like you said, I don't know if anyone will ever know what it really was or not, but There are sightings in that area. The Gulf Breeze is not that far from there where there was all those sightings. And some people, there's some part of that that may have been some hoaxing going on. I don't really know 100% of that particular case, the Gulf Breeze. There's stories about that both ways. There's a lot of controversy about that. But I know that in Florida in general, there's a lot of sightings. Part of that has to do with the nice weather and people out a lot of it. time, but was this object actually over the water itself?
Speaker 2: No, it was inland probably, you know, how many miles? I don't know, five miles, 10 miles inland. When I saw it, it was not over the water.
Speaker 1: Ah, okay. All right. Here's a question here for you. Scott, what did you learn from the photos that you didn't realize while you were watching the object?
Speaker 2: So the photos, being able to enlarge it and study it and seeing more detail in there and seeing the more detail that I have with the photos itself, I lean toward this object being biological under some type of intelligent control. maybe of its own intelligent control or an outside source controlling it. But it just appears to me to have on certain pictures, eyes, a mouth, and it's really weird in that sense. So I didn't learn what it was. I don't know what it was. It's just what I see and what I might perceive. And I'm not to say that you look at everything, you see a face and everything, but I've seen large creatures on different documentaries from three or four, five, six, seven, eight miles deep. And they have these huge eyes and all these different characteristics to them, fluttering wings and things like that. And I think that resembles what this object is doing at certain times. And even in closer to the surface, you catch a 800 pound creature. blue marlin and it's got an eye that's half as big as your head practically.
Speaker 1: Right yep i was just looking to see if i could find any information on the sky creatures audio blog that's out there but i can't right now so let's talk let's shift gears because i think this is fascinating that you're here today with what happened to you can you tell everyone exactly what happened when you were skydiving.
Speaker 2: Military we didn't always call it skydiving even though that certainly may have been what it was and we would go we would go out to other drop zones and to our on our skydiving stuff the incident you're talking about was a parachute accident that i was involved in 1987 i was my job in the air force as a pararescue man combat rescue is the main mission but humanitarian missions around the world oceans mountains jungles everywhere but In the military, with the focus being what it is with combat, we have an alert teams that we're on call for different incidents around the world, whether it's combat related or not. And at the time I was attached to a SEAL team in Virginia Beach and we were in an alert status, but we were going out to do a, we called it a fun jump. And that meaning that we were not jumping with hundreds of pounds of gear on our body. And it was in the daytime. So it was going to be a nice, easy jump just to stay in the local area and conduct training. We jumped out of a Marine CH-46 helicopter at 13,000 feet. Our plan was to free fall to 3,500 feet. And whatever formation we had grouped up into, we were going to break it off, fly away from each other, and open our parachutes. So I did that. This was my 90th parachute, my 90th parachute jump. And I felt very comfortable, able to fly to and away from other people and link up and whatnot in the air. And so I opened my canopy. Again, I don't remember any of this. This is just going off of what I've done my previous 89 times. I remember, I remember jumping. And so the normal procedures for our parachutes that we were wearing at the time, we had a deployment handle that was in a little pocket right here. And you reach in, you grab the handle, you pull it away from you. The pilot chute pops out and the parachute opening sequence. And once the parachutes open, First thing that you do is you reach up and grab risers, looking for your steering toggles, and you're looking up to make sure that the canopy's open and functioning properly. Sometime in that opening sequence, there was another jumper still above me in free fall, unable to turn away and avoid hitting me, and he balled up in a cannonball position and crashed through the parachute, destroyed the parachute, Knocked me unconscious, shattered my skull. And then I went the rest of the way. I think I had two cells. It was a canopy with cells. I think there were nine cells in that particular canopy. And there were two remaining open, which really didn't do anything but spin me in a fast circle and estimated that I hit the ground at about 100 miles an hour. God. Wow.
Speaker 1: And you don't remember any of it. Any of this really to speak of?
Speaker 2: No, none of the accident itself. I don't remember any of that. I don't remember jumping. I don't remember that part on the ground. And only a couple of days later, coming to at the ICU, intensive care section there at Portsmouth Naval Hospital.
Speaker 1: In Virginia. What was the, what was the ground like at that, where you landed?
Speaker 2: It was a frozen shrub area. I didn't land on a tree. I landed on the ground, but it was, there were trees around. It wasn't a, it wasn't a clearing for the helicopter to land and they didn't have a rescue hoist on that helicopter. So they loitered in the air as long as they could and they left and later they had to call a life flight. So we landed on the ground about a mile away from the drop zone. Another pararescue on the ground, Larry Hikamoto. And we were, him and I, he and I were taking turns. pulling the rescue part of it where we had to have a medic on the ground and so he was on the ground I was jumping and so the two guys that got to me were two of the Navy SEALs and they started the sequence of actions that ultimately saved my life and took about an hour for them in a makeshift litter out of some small saplings they cut down and poncho liner that somebody had and dragged me out to a clearing, life flight was called in and I got a life flight ride to Portsmouth. So I had mentioned, you asked me what I remember. So that I told, like I'm talking, that memory right there is my conscious memory. On the helicopter, I don't remember jumping. I remember standing up and then in ICU. So my unconscious memory between them was at the time of the accident, And I don't realize it's an accident. I'm not really sure what's going on. But I'm hovering above my body. But I'm not in my body. It's very weird. But somehow I'm able to look down at my body. I see the guys coming in. I see them trying to take care of me. I'm disassociated with it. It really doesn't affect me. I'm not interested in that anymore at that point. And I'm surrounded by a light, a white light, a soft white light, like if you're going to go romantic, 40 watt light bulb, you're embraced in it. And it was really, it just felt good. I felt loved. Looking back, I know that was energy. It was energy where we were all connected. But I also realized that there was a very bright area above me. And in that light, it was so bright, I could see three figures that were standing there. And I knew telepathically, somehow I knew that I was going to them and that they were there to meet me. And I was going to them, which is weird. I'm not walking, I'm not running, I'm not in my body. But I look at it as there was a transition because I feel like I'm in my body, but I'm not in my body. And once I got really close to them, I thought, I'm going to get to see who it is because I know them and I want to see who it is. I know them, but I don't know who it is. And I heard that voice that said, it's time to go now. And it seemed like a second very quickly, I'm sure. I had a million thoughts in my head. I turned away from that light, which is weird because it's not physically turning, but I'm turning away from the light and it's like, God, I'm not ready to go yet. And then that's the last part I remember there. And then I wake up in the hospital. Wow.
Speaker 1: I wasn't expecting this. This is really amazing. Really amazing. I've heard of so many accounts of these near-death experiences, and I believe them. There's so many amazing things. Like you said, you saw those people coming to you and all that. People say that so many times over and over.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they were people. Could have been people. I perceived it. All I could see was the figures. So I don't know, but it felt like it.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And that's amazing that you survived, really. It's just, and as we talked about off air, who knows if you were awake and falling, if you would have tensed up when that could have been, that could have been your end right there.
Speaker 2: And if any of your listeners, anybody likes country music, my good buddy, retired, medically retired pararescueman Donovan Chapman, he was injured in Afghanistan and He's wrote a song. He's got some songs. He's got a lot of songs out there, Donovan Chapman. And it's called God, I'm Not Ready to Go Yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's totally amazing story. Like I said, I wasn't expecting it. And I really appreciate you telling us that. And I'm just going to take one quick look here. And the book, I'm going to have your book in the link in the show notes. So anyone that wants to check that out, you'll be able to buy it. Is it on Amazon? I can't remember.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yep. It's on Amazon. Okay. So that link will be in the show notes and just a couple of comments here. Thank you for your service. And talking about bent waters there and just real quickly. And, oh yeah, here's the question I had for you when I was hearing you talk to all that whole thing. This person here wanted to know, did it change the way you look at risk and things like that? But I wanted to know also, did you ever dive? Did you ever parachute again? After that?
Speaker 2: Yep. Just over 500 more times.
Speaker 1: Oh my God.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: You kind of remind me of this guy that I had on here called Scott Cassell. He was, he's has 20,000 hours under the water. He's been on a rebreather more than any Navy SEAL. And he's the first one to film a giant squid in the wild. And he's was on shark week and all that, but he had a USO encounter. But anyway, you remind me of him. He's, There's a certain breed of people that are just extremely hardy. And when you're telling them, talking about doing all those pushups and things like, wow, superhuman.
Speaker 2: I'm an average guy. The guys I work with, there's a lot of above average guys. I just struggle to keep up with them. You know, the jobs, the special ops, especially full of them. I saw one question. You scroll through there. Someone said their father had served in Vietnam and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm going to pull that back up again if I can.
Speaker 2: Those guys definitely didn't get the credit they deserve for everything they did. Definitely heroes over there. Yes. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was very hard for them when they came back. Oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: In Bentwater. Yeah. That was the sister base to a wood bridge there at Bentwaters. And the Rendlesham Forest was right there around there. Yeah, those guys definitely, they deserve a lot more credit than they got for what they did. And gals, a lot of women too. Exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay. Thank you so much, Scott. It's been a real pleasure. Enjoy talking to you tonight.
Speaker 2: All right. Thank you, Martin.
Speaker 1: All right. Take care. All right, everyone. So we'll be back. Just remember this Thursday is Grant Lovick. I will be, I'll be in the air, so I will not be in chat during that. It's pre-recorded and ready to go. So it's a great conversation. So make sure you check that out. Next Tuesday is Rich Hoffman. So thank you all for being here. I appreciate your questions, everything in chat. And we'll see you next time. And remember to keep your eyes to the sky.