Speaker 1: Dad. You like to drink, so have a drink once in a while.
Speaker 2: Have two. If you devote your whole life to completely avoiding something you like, then that thing still controls your life and you've never learned any discipline at all.
Speaker 3: But maybe I'm just the kind of person who needs to have it all or nothing.
Speaker 2: Now, all or nothing is easy, But learning to drink a little bit responsibly, that's a discipline. Discipline come from within kick as.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Going down to south Park, the podcast where we always have ourselves a time and we're here to review the finale called a season finale course, the season finale, Season Finale, Season finale, the final episode of season nine of South Park, one of the more controversial episodes, which we'll get into. It's bloody Mary, I'm Dando.
Speaker 4: And guy, Yes, we're gonna have a bloody good time, an't it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? As we go down to south Park with this episode, what was the old slogan, where the bloody hell are you? Is that? Yes, bluddy, how are you? No?
Speaker 4: I was meant to get all men or tourists in Australia and ever it was like, oh no, this.
Speaker 1: Is a bit naff. The thing is that Lara Bingle. But that's why everyone who doesn't come from Australia thinks Australia is like so basically they try to appeal to the stereotypes, Like you go to England, it's oh, do you want to foster I'm like, I've never even seen a fosters, a littlone tasted one, you know. So they just have this perception of what Australia is over seas and the appeals to that, Oh yeah, yeah, trying to get in, like what do you mean as a kangaroos in your backyards and stuff? Your Prime Minister doesn't swim in a damn.
Speaker 4: I had to wait thirty something years to see a kangaroo in an urban environment. I mean I saw I saw one hopping down my street in herne Hill, Geelong. Was like what the hell? Yeah, I mean that that was like a real Twilight Zone moment. But yeah, they were very much trying to sell the.
Speaker 1: Whole Oh we're laid back, relaxed, you know, me home amongst the gum tree.
Speaker 4: So yeah, well the bloody hell are you? But that fizzled out fairly quickly. I mean it had one of you wouldn't call Lara Bingal a supermodel, but she was very much the sort of the quintessential.
Speaker 1: The supermodel, sixteen year old dannag She was a supermodel, for sure. There's supermodels in the super bottel. Yeah, she's the one that was with Michael Clark. She bred.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure about that. I know that she's been married to Sam Worthington for years.
Speaker 1: Didn't she have an affair? Didn't someone didn't someone famous have an affair with her? She was the she was the action on the side. I'm pretty sure it was Brendan for Vola, the AFL footballer, not Brendan Nana the podcast. Oh no, no, don't talk about that. Let's talk for Vola Bingle before we get into our Bloody Mary review. Yes, let's devastating Lara Bingle portrayal. Yeah it was Brendan Favola.
Speaker 4: Okay, then yeah, that show was just poor taste on Lara Bingles park because you know, not no oil.
Speaker 1: Painting, good footballer. Fine, I guess give Bluddy Mary. So, as I said, one of the more controversial ones, which we'll get into, but I just want to start off. I say it's not very often that I get emotional watching south Park, right, you know South Park. It sparks, sparks emotion in you with it. It's zaniness and it's wackiness in the way it appeals to what was your touchy themes and whatnot. But I thought the ending of this one was so sweet in a sense of it can be applied to many things. So the story here is that Randy gets caught for drink driving and gets sent to AA and I like this angle of well, not an alcoholic. I just made a bad decision, which was discussed that theme as well. But it's a case of you are able to control this. It's space jam methodology with the with the special stuff. It's like you did it yourself, it wasn't God. You have it in you to stop. And it's like, well stop drinking all together, and stands like, no, no, no, you don't have to stop drinking because if you if you eliminate it from your life, then it's still controlling you in a way. It's all about I won't say the accent, but discipline. I was going to use that.
Speaker 4: I was going to use the accent all the way through.
Speaker 1: Well they do, isn't it discipline? Rack, discipline, work, discipline, right, And he's basically saying that you can have these vices in your life, but you're going to learn to control them. Have them. What's what's what was Nicolaus say, in moderation, in moderation, Yes, so you can have in moderation, shot, you can have hot chips in moderation. And as I say, it can be applied to eating because I've been trying to like not eat deep fried foods and cut out sugar. And it's like, you know what, No, it's okay, do you have sugar in moderation of up, But it's up to you to be able to do that. Some people obviously don't have the ability to do so. And you know that's where alcoholism comes into it and whatnot. But it's I just thought, you know what, it's sort of changed my perspective. I've been trying to eat healthy recently. I'm like, I will treat myself because I've I deserve to treat myself. If you don't treat yourself at all, ever, then it's still controlling you.
Speaker 4: Well, that's the release, that's the pressure of alves. You need to let up a little steam every once in a while because eventually have a blowout a six pack of Tenders or a six pack of beer or whatever, because otherwise you have that blowout and then you feel even worse.
Speaker 1: You need to do that. Or maybe that's how my brain works, Yes, exactly, but it's horses for course.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I found this episode really interesting because, as I've said, I liked it. I'm a perpetual fence sitter now I'm very much of This is a really good example of matt and tre pro personal responsibility message, which they push a whole lot.
Speaker 1: I do a lot.
Speaker 4: It is really their guiding ethos.
Speaker 1: I come back to the Rob Ryiner episode I think is a good one of that, where it's all about it's your control. You're in control of all this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, some people, whether by virtue of their brain chemistry or whatever. I don't want to say some flaw in their character because that's passing judgment.
Speaker 1: I don't want to do that. But I mean, I'm looking up at your bookshelf, for instance, and.
Speaker 4: There's a copy of Matthew Perry's autobiography, and yeah, he basically talks about addiction as a desertion she gave me I And you know he does it in such an eloquent, eloquent and sort of heartfelt way. It's like I'm buying that this guy wants to stop. I mean, he says he would give up all the riches, all the fame, all that stuff to be rid of this desire, this compulsion to tamp down these demons with the help of drugs, booze, what have you. I believe him in that regard. I mean, when an episode like this says no, no, it's all in your it's all in your mind and it's all under your control, it's sort of painting it as a moral weakness, which is something I'm not exactly a fan. I get the whole pro responsibility thing, and it is something I actually believe in.
Speaker 1: So that's where I find this upsetting on the fence. So I had, I won't say issues with this episode.
Speaker 4: I found it really entertaining, kind of funny in a lot of ways. And because that final message that Stan is talking about, that whole thing about no, you like to drink, have a drink everyone, So some people aren't able to, and some people just aren't able to no matter how hard they try. Yeah, So I was actually reading a Reddit thread about this episode. He said, look, it wasn't necessarily my thing, but I think they got a lot wrong talking about A and sort of presenting it as a cult and certainly presenting it mocked it, they really did. Yeah, and that's something that Parker and Stone do as well. I don't think they're fans of organized religion, and certainly not the cult like aspect that a lot of organized religions can take.
Speaker 1: I think they were using it for their joke of Randy isn't an alcoholic, he just made a bad choice. But still, in doing so, you really made AA meetings look ridiculous. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And the way that you're presenting all these AA people is either pathetic as yeah, just by virtual of the way that they were drawn and voiced, as well as the things that they were saying. I mean, they will all kind of schlubby.
Speaker 1: And they did the can you voice when someone's a bit pathetic, as you said, pathetic, yeah, or just like I'm just having a great time drink a lemonad. Yeah, it's like, well you're clearly not having any clue, clear not having a good time. Yeah. I've found that rubbed me the wrong.
Speaker 4: Way a little bit, shall we say. Having said that, mostly enjoyed the episode. I've got all this, I've got all the bad stuff out of my system that I'm so I'm killed.
Speaker 1: As someone who isn't religious, I don't get I do, and I don't I get the controversy here, and they wouldn't want their beloved figure depicted it in such a ridiculous way. Yeah, well we'll talk it. Yeah, Virginiy iconography as well. Yeah, but I'm watching this going this is so absurd. I don't think you could honestly believe that anyone's watching this thinking taking it seriously either. But in saying that it's your beloved figure being represented in such a ridiculous way.
Speaker 4: There is that certainly. I mean, as with anything in life, you've got varying degrees of how you feel about things, right, I mean I was raised Catholic, and I still consider myself Catholic to some degree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, there'll.
Speaker 4: Still be times and I was sort of going to do the side of the Christ when I'm about to take a big risk on something or whatever. It's like the toilet or actually when I'm leaving the house, respectacles, testicles, all that kind of stuff. I had no issue whatso whether with the betrayal or depiction of the Virgin Mary in this. My feeling on this, and it's it's sort of aligns with the whole pro personal responsibility thing is like, and I'm not saying, oh, this was disrespectful to the Virgin Mary or you know this.
Speaker 1: Icon of the Catholic Church.
Speaker 4: It's more like, your disrespect of this and that's quote marks around disrespect, by the way, does not negate my again, quote marks respect for it. If you feel strongly about it, fine, that's your thing. Go with God. As they say via condos, where I was like, Okay, well you don't feel the same way I do. That's cool. I'm not about to push my beliefs on you, just as I was hoping you were not about to push your beliefs on me.
Speaker 1: Because were they in any way? They weren't really mocking the religion, were they. They were just it was sort of almost just sort of using her as a symbol for.
Speaker 4: Any kind of snake oil cure, yeah, I think, or any.
Speaker 1: Sort of quick searching for a miracle. Yeah yeah, with the mord Flanders the gas leak, yeah yeah, I mean.
Speaker 4: It goes back to whole the whole personal responsibility things. You are responsible for your decisions and direction you take in life. Maybe don't go to a Virgin Mary. That's a bleeding out of its butt, but apparently well known.
Speaker 1: But that's what it was intended to be. It was meant to be shitting on the face of people. That's where it was implying with the visuals. And then you're like, oh, it wasn't okay, But so here's the controversy. So the episode was aired on December seventh, two thousand and five, which is the eve of the Feast of the Imaculate Conception. Do you want to explain it? That is to listeners in what I know? I've died. I don't know myself. I don't know. I thought you might know, okay, because you're there's a feast, because you're a Catholic, I thought you might Okay.
Speaker 4: It celebrates We've got a lot of holidays.
Speaker 1: It celebrates the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary on eighth of December, nine months before the feat of the Nativity of Mary on eighth of September. It is one of the most important feasts in the calendar of the Latin Church. Okay, so there's that get this is for real sort of diodes. Yeah, a Catholic observance related specifically to the Virgin Mary. Bloody Mary was considered a very controversial episode, even by south Park standards. In the US.
Speaker 4: I'm just look at them poking Catholics in the eyebar, like, we're not just going to do this episode, We're going to air it on this particular Yeah, okay, Da and Matt, you scamps.
Speaker 1: In the US, the Catholic League demanded an apology and that the so be permanently retired and not be made available on DVD. I love that idea of if something of David a you're never going to see it again unless you because that's how it used to work. Things went released on physical media and they weren't allowed to re air something. You have to find bootleg tapes of people who at the time, and it made it even more special. Oh yeah, when he's like I've got a copy of it's like, oh, ship.
Speaker 4: Trading, you're saving the little batch of vhs in there.
Speaker 1: Someone's written on It's like bloody Mary south Park. A board member of the Viacom, Joseph Califano Junior Califano Junior. It's a very catholic sounding that. Yeah. The parent company of Comedy Central, and a practicing Catholic, issued a personal statement. He did later release a statement call in the episode an appalling and disgusting betrayal of the Virgin Mary, and pledged to have it reviewed by Viacom's president and CEO, Tom Freston. It seems like a lot of hoopla, doesn't it. Oh yeah, over a TV episode. I just don't know whether this would happen anymore. You get like, yeah, yeah, you'd have a few people angry on like Twitter, and there'd be a few new stories saying fans are outraged by this, and then new cycle's over and it's onto another thing.
Speaker 4: In all, honestly, you know, paramount of Comedy Central, who or whoever would probably gin up the drama themselves, because we are living in the attention economy.
Speaker 1: But the idea of banning an episode, it just wouldn't happen. It couldn't happen anymore. He could not, in today's word, he couldn't ban it. No life finds away, Yes, yes, torrents find a way. I was talking the other day to somebody about the price of streaming services and whatnot. And I was like, I think we're about to see the revival of torrents. Like there's always pirates have still existed, but it used to be I downloaded is down, and people just like that is don't downlat Anymorecau's just easily accessible on streaming services. But now people are like, it really costs a lot of money. I was like, yeah, it costs a lot of money. And they're putting ads and they're putting ads into it. It's like, this is TV, but I'm paying for TV. Yeah, I think people are going to go is Pirate Base still a thing? Pirate Base like the Boys? The answer is yes it is, and buckle down, boys, We're back in business. Time to sell the high season once again. Like Trratton the Closet. The episode Bloody Mair did return to the air, appearing on August seventh, two thousand and six, so they did take it off rotation for a while.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, look, I mean the the Catholics have got a bit of power. Yeah in the US, the church has got a bit of power worldwide.
Speaker 1: Still in New Zealand. In February two thousand and six, leaders from the New Zealand Catholic Bishop's Conference, the Council of Christians and Muslims and other religious Groups's sound like a super team? What is it? Back? Did that themselves? They literally did. Yeah, they lobbied together. They lobbied the media conglomerate to can West to stop a planned airing of the episode in New Zealand on the music channel Sea four. The network rejected the plea and said that the episode would air as planned. Leading Catholic bishops then called for a boycott of Sea four and assisted network TV three. Can West again resisted and aired the episode sooner than planned. Oh to take advantage of the media attention. See that's what you do. That is what you do. New Zealand's Minister Halen Clark issued a statement saying the episode sounded revolting, but that the network was free to air it. One advertiser withdrew their ads from the network. Catholic group Family Life International, set up a website for boycotting other advertisers. Another company named C for Productions, which has no links to the c FORMSSA channel, applied to a core order on the eve of the air and to stop the episode, citing damage to its business because it thought people would link it to their channel. That judge ruled against the order. What a drama, isn't it? It is?
Speaker 4: But this is how a functioning sort of I guess democracy should work. It's like, okay, we're gonna air this. I don't think you should fine say your piece. You know, if you're a business.
Speaker 1: Please your case.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you're a business that finds this repellent or disgusting, pull your advertising.
Speaker 1: That's fine.
Speaker 4: And then that's yeah, that's how the free market works as well as like enough people do. That's like, all right, well, it sounds like there are a lot of people out there who don't like this or this is going to be damaging to our bottom line.
Speaker 1: C four air the episode on February twenty second, two thousand and six, and drew two hundred and ten thousand viewers, which apparently was six times South Park's normal audience in the country. So only thirty thousand people were watching south Park at this point. Maybe mental right, Sure, thirty five thousand people watch South Park. I can't I'm wondering how many people.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, it's the population New Zealand reve relatively Australia or anywhere else. And secondly, you know what's airing on what see what's Sea four.
Speaker 1: The thing is, though, this is the era of torrents. We're just mentioning torrants, right and this is five months after the episode aired. Okay, South Park fans were torrenting the shit out of that episode. Good point, they weren't waiting for it to air. Yeah. Yeah, so it got six times a normal audience and received After receiving one hundred and two formal complaints from viewers, the network issued a statement a month later saying, the seafall acknowledges the strength of feeling in relation to the program, and we sincerely apologize for any offense taken. Better apologize.
Speaker 4: Well, the horse is well and truly bothered. So you know, yeah, yeah, what's that?
Speaker 1: What's that? Lines like it? Better better to better to apologize later, Yeah, forgiveness and ask for permissions it. Yeah, that's how I that's my mentality. I know you're offending people all the time. And in Australia, in February two thousand and six, Archbishop Dennis Hart in Melbourne, Australia, down the Road wrote to television network SBS asking them not to air the episode. The network's programming director originally rejected the request, but later decided to postpone the episode, citing the controversy over the Muhammad cartoons. So they must have been going on that episode must have come out and caused chaos anyway. The episode was, however, shown on the Comedy Channel on August thirtieth, two thousand and six. Almost were almost the year behind. Maybe they delayed it, that's why. Yeah, could be so we didn't get it. We didn't get it on TV what eight months? Nine months later?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but where it used to be in the early early twenty first cent.
Speaker 1: Yes, but a lot of drama. But that's what But this is the thing. Did they need to be using the Bloody Mary? The only real reason they used the Bloody Mary is because they wanted to get this reaction. Oh absolutely.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, we're nine seasons into South Park, but they're still you know, there's cheeky little lads. They're still provocateurs, their storytelling chops are definitely evolving. Their status within industry is definitely rising. But they've also built their brand on light and fires and they've done that here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've got to get that reputation furnished. It must be exhausting, don't you reckon having to keep up that reputation if you established for yourself. I mean you built a billion dollar empire around it. But it's like, how do you? And I think that's why they fall into the truck doing the Trump stuff, because it's like what else could they possibly do to get people talking? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I mean here's the thing to me, Parker and Stone are as we said in their fifties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I say, this is someone in the fifties. I'm tired.
Speaker 4: I can't be I can't be asked being provocative.
Speaker 1: What's the Simpsons thing? Star Trek so very tired And I was like thirty years ago, see Shatton to put it thing out of ninety five and he's out smoking a cigar. I know, he looked great. It looks like he's sixty. He looked really good. He looked really well. Yeah, man, good good one big bill. Yeah. Maybe going to space like maybe just like Dasian a bit goold. Well. Look, it made him see life different than you could tell when he got back. He Yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 4: You heard so many people saying, oh, so many people have gone up into space and looked like, oh.
Speaker 1: Well, I realized that, you know, we're all part of one big community here.
Speaker 4: We got to start to look at come on people, now smile on your brother and shatnows came back and list this sucks man. Yeah, we're alone at the universe, one of this deep existential funk.
Speaker 1: By the way, so the story here of Randy, we mentioned how he got corpate drink driving. Apparently this really happened to Trey when he was nine years old. This is pretty much evaidivele way. Oh my gosh, she's dad got done for drink driving. Where the kids are in the car when he was nine. Mister Parker, mister Parker, what are you doing good? Have you ever been in the car when you're like a parents always been pulled over? No? Oh oh when pulled over? Yeah? Absolutely once I have. Once my dad was doing like sixty five and a sixty zone and it was just so weird. I think because it stuck with me is because my dad's always been a very like gruff, you know, tough guy, and just seeing him become this yes epicode.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, like Randy mister knows how to deal. Yeah, But well dad was a speeder. I mean dad had a real foot.
Speaker 1: Bobby demon Oh yeah, I was able to get away with it.
Speaker 4: Clicks Bobby, Well he get pulled over and then it'd be like maybe so Bobby, Yeah, I think I think if he was really pushing it, then you know, he'd get a ticket or something like that.
Speaker 1: Did if you're on the charm? Did your dad wouldn't know how to put on the charm? Right? Absolutely? He was charming twenty four cents. Yeah, I don't imagine the Yeah, just sitting in the back and going, my dad, can we t him all to have to speed? Yeah, which I did do. I was going to say, do you think that you when you were a teenager you sort of felt inclined, well, my dad can get me out of stuff, did you know idea? No?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: No, maybe maybe now. The idea for the Virgin Mary apparently came from a member of the staff. Did you read this? Have I read this or heard about this? Tell me more? They're joking. The commentary the bleeding statue idea came from Anne Garriffino, a producer on the show who was Catholic and was inspired by the real life phenomenon of the weeping statutes, because usually they're crying. To explain the weeping statue concept, is they bleeding on their eyes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're either weeping or they've got the stigmata, which are the christ wounds in the palm?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is the Is it the Life of Prayer film clip that had a lot of issues because it was a bleeding statue or was it just the black Jesus. You're going to have.
Speaker 4: People saying it was because of cathletic iconography.
Speaker 1: It's because Jesus was black, is what it was. Yeah, when people were willing to say that, they were using a different excuse. People just racist. Yeah, people just say shit. Speaking of just saying shit, favorite moments from this episode, mister David, that's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I already I've already dropped one, which is I know how to deal His deal is very relatable.
Speaker 1: That kind of what seems to.
Speaker 4: Be the problem you really seems to be the opposite problem, of course. Yeah, but you really put it. I mean you've done this, I'm sure. I mean you've been pull over and get yeah, and you put it in your game.
Speaker 1: Be polite. One thing I've always I've always say this to the kids, I'd tell you to the kids all the time. Manners will get you everywhere.
Speaker 4: Of course, no, I've said this to anyone who I've even the slightest bit of influence on or authority over.
Speaker 1: It's like, be one man it, yeah, be one man, because I used to be well managed. Like the bosses at Forward and what they go, are you kiss us? I'm like, I'm just being polite. Yeah, there's a difference between kissing us. But if you want to see any kiss uses, puck her up, pucker upup. But the thing is I'm the kissing us. I'm just being polite, Like what are you asking?
Speaker 3: How?
Speaker 1: They're asking how they go and kiss us? I was like, I'm asking out he's going, there's a reason you've been stuck in this spot.
Speaker 4: That is because you're walking around you think you're better than me, but we're pretty much on the same level. Or Yeah, I'm trying to sort of establish a bit of a.
Speaker 1: Just report manners, we'll get you over.
Speaker 4: But the other thing is, I mean, I know there's a lot of like all crops of barses and deep under police and.
Speaker 1: All that kind of shit. I don't think we'd really do that in the sty so much. I think that's not a lot of bleed over me. We do get some smart asses, but of course you do.
Speaker 4: But the majority of cops are just you know, people doing their job. Yeah, but particularly with like traffic.
Speaker 1: Cops and yeah that so I mean, what the fuck do you pull me up? Well? You if you start like, I guarantee that ticket, dickhead. I love when you watch the Highway Patrol and they just start off like that, and you're like, what are you doing? Like, even when you get the smart ass cops right, if you're polite to them, they usually go they usually tone it back because they go, Okay, you know, you're not a dickcad. Sometimes they are smart asses because they want you to get to The reactions just sort of justifies I'm going to give you a ticket now. But when you when you're the body game on on what's what's it called Highway Patrol Patrol? Sometimes you watch it and there is one there's one guy. It nois Nikola to nowhere because when he talks people, he looks away like this when he's talking to you, Nicholas, like, just look at them, Why are you looking away? He's like, yeah, you thought you're pretty funny, didn't you. Yeah, he's one of those kinds of cops, right, just playing it up for the TV. But sometimes the people who are just like yeah, yeah, I'm sorry. I've got no excuse. I just made them own choice. It's just like, don't do it again? Yeah, well that sorry, I'm really sorry. What was if? If it's obvious what you were doing wrong? Cop to it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you're not sure to say I actually you do the rams? Is there a problem?
Speaker 1: Off?
Speaker 4: Sorry, what's the problem? And not like what's the problem? Like, sorry, what I do?
Speaker 1: So I know? Not to do it again?
Speaker 4: Sometimes yeah, And that's that's not being a suck up. But it's not sort of being a being a child. It's just like all right, well go along to get along. Sometimes, I've said on the podcast before. He's passed away now is Gary Edmondson. He was one of my bosses at Ford passed away when I'm working Afford. So the best advice I've ever been given was by him, and he said, I'm gonna give you a bit of advice now that will because it he gets it's going to happen and how you deal with it is going to dictate what happens going forward. He goes, if you fuck up, if you make a mistake, you tell someone straight away and you own up to it. Don't try and cover up mistakes anywhere in life. If you fuck up, make a mistake and own up to it, the punishment would be far less.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, because if you try cover it up and they catch you out for line, then you're fucked that I broke. I've said I've broke something that was really expensive, and I was like that was me, yeah, and the bosses like, you can do it again. I I'm like, get out there, because because you owned up to it, we're not going to do anything about it. It's just smart guy. Just make sure you own up to your mistakes. But I enjoyed just purely for the just absurdness of it all. I mentioned it before, just the visual of the Pope getting real close to the art of division and just shitting blood over its face like that is Southmark to a tea, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's I'm not sure if that's a shout out to Looney Tunes or Bugs Bunny or something like that. Certainly, when Pope Bennett comes and I think when he does it bling, yeah, it's like, sure, that's a shout out to Looney Tunes.
Speaker 1: Guys. I hope you're enjoyed this week's show. Remember, if you do love everything we do here at four Finger Discant, the best way to show your support is by joining the four finger Discat family on Patreon. You can do so for as little as just one dollar per month, but for five dollars you get access to one hundred of hours of bonus podcast, our exclusive discord Facebook groups, early add free access to the show. The list goes on. Obviously, we know you'd probably be happier with the dollar, but if you do have a spared dollary doo each month, we'd love for you to show you support and join the four Fingered Scamp family on Patreon. Other stuff that I liked, Whack of Discipline was pretty funny and the way they is the thing They said that accent right throughout the episode of My Stances, but Stan wasn't saying it to be mocking. No's that's that's just how it comes across to a kid.
Speaker 4: My karate teacher. He's really smart. Yeah, yeah, he's He's obviously not respect for the guy. He's not racking on his accent. It's more like it's well, that's the way he says it, so that's the way I'm going to take it in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lack discipline, racked discipline.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Cartman adding little wrinkles to his whole, to his training because he's a bit better than everybody else. I can't remember the exact phrase he was, and I was about to say sanchoi bout, which is actually a really nice Asian dish, but such.
Speaker 1: It was something like that, adding like at least a bond choy or something adding like bonds eyeo letters. Yeah. I thought that was actually pretty funny.
Speaker 4: But when Randy has to come into the classroom and give that little speech, first of all, stand was like, let's just not tell any about this, and then he just gets busted. But just Garrison really not rubbing it in. But I don't think he was doing it deliberately, but he stand Yeah, but he's like, so there you go, okays, you get end up being a big loser, like Stands Dad, and I just love the emberss they've gone Stands Dad.
Speaker 1: Every time he kept saying that, I love that.
Speaker 4: There was a callback to Kolfax Alley, which is the the you will never find a great hive of scum and villainy.
Speaker 1: This is South Park's version of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, with the guy going down with guy then where blowing goes and colfaxally for this cowboy.
Speaker 1: Great for something, and when Randy has.
Speaker 4: His conversion after he gets a shot of blood to the face and yeah, basically goes full Christian slash aa. He got the new haircut and everything like that. But you know he sits down on the table, Praise Christ, praise him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's crazy, yes, yeah, which is yeah, I mean that's it's a.
Speaker 4: Little throwaway thing, but I think it really steers into what Parker and Stone are about in terms of like, have you believes it's fine, just don't push him on people? Yeah, And they've done that in so many episodes this season.
Speaker 1: I know I've mentioned in the podcast. We have the sign on the door says, please don't knock right if you just you just a door knocker. We just we just don't want it. I don't want to be interrupted. I told you how the Jehovahs witness Jehovah's Witnesses came into my house. I was like, I was like, what does that sound? And they were stepping inside the front door, going I was just seeing if anybody's home were just it's just lovely, old man. But I was like, see we didn't knock. I was like, you seem nice, but get the fuck out of my house. I'm sure Jack, the rivers seem like a really nice it was this you would have been eighty. It's just really has like a guy with him who was obviously like his helper almost. It's just obviously in old Jeovahs whness just trying to I'm like, don't step into someone's house. That's how you get killed.
Speaker 4: So so you're eighty something years old, you should have learned this by now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I also enjoyed. So there's things in South Park where you can tell they didn't write it. They may have had a line and a delivery was funny, and they go that sounds great, let's stick with it. I'm glad they've run with Stune. Done Done. It's become a thing. You know, they realized that people dug it. Yeah, yeah, that's okay.
Speaker 5: Remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Speaker 1: All right, trivia time. My first question for you, mister Davis, is the kids didn't get home till about what time?
Speaker 4: They didn't get home till two thirty? Kyle didn't get home till two oh, Kyle was okay, yeah, yeah, two thirty am. That was I do have as one of my questions, but not one that I highlighted. How about that anyway? So I don't have to cross that one out because I wasn't going to ask it anyway. But I will ask you this one. When is the next karate class?
Speaker 1: Oh? Next Tuesday, next Tuesday. It must have been stored in there somewhere, well done. Next question is the kids don't want to miss an episode off which show? Lost? I thought they said the finale of Lost? So I don't know that Lost didn't finish in two thousand and five. It started, not two thousand and what.
Speaker 4: Well, maybe it was like the season finale, much like this is the season finale?
Speaker 1: Yes, there you go, Well when did this? So? What season? When did Lost start? Let's see if the Lost finale was airing on the same night, because they like to do that, don't they. Oh yeah, and they're probably the only show that could do it, especially at that time anyway, where they could make things in real time.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, they're running and Gunning aren't lost.
Speaker 1: Let's go to so what season would have been airing in two thousand and five. Let's go to here, two thousand and five, season two. When did it end? It ended in May two thousand and six, So yeah, it was an episode December seventh. That's a look. No, there was no episode December seventh. There you go. They definitely said lost, didn't they. They certainly said lost. Yeah. Yeah, anyway, next question, My next question to you, Randy gets pulled over by a cop. But the cop is a cop car. There was a motto on the side of the car. That's probably just this. It's probably been a million times. Never noticed that. What is it?
Speaker 4: It said, to patronize and annoy. I don't think I've ever noticed that, because you know how I think to serve and protect? Yeah, I think is that just is that every police car in America?
Speaker 1: Or is that just like the l A p D or the NYPD. Yeah, I don't know. To protect us, that's the one we know protect service.
Speaker 4: This is to patronize and annoy.
Speaker 1: My final question is whose daughter has alphonitis? Damn it? Now, this is Josh. It's Josh Garrett. Just Garrett looked into like the South Park wiki is.
Speaker 4: Just a gag kind of like, oh man, I mean not not. It was to a larger point, I guess. I mean it's sort of played. It did double duty, and its like this, get get where you're com get where you're coming.
Speaker 1: From here there are people.
Speaker 4: Going to this thing with actual, actual ailments. But I also did it just like let's have a weird looking kid.
Speaker 1: But the thing is, I don't appreciate when the butt of the joke is mocking somebody for something they can't control. So Ali the other day sort of giggled at someone who was really really overweight and when they ran, like their belly was jiggling right out of their shirt, and he sort of giggled me. I was like, I know you don't think it's funny, mate, but it's important that we don't laugh at people for things that they can't control. He might be able to control not being so fat. Okay, I take that.
Speaker 4: At the same time, but were they were they jogging or were they like.
Speaker 1: Running for a bus. He was trying to get to somewhere fast. So I was just like, look, we don't mock people for how they look, because how people look for most of the time. They can't control that. And I think it's just one important message in life is you just don't joke about people who can't control things. And I thought two things. Alpha nitis is the thing that people actually have it. I'm sure it's actually got alphaitis, but people have disease. Who's that actor that has it? Was with Sculptor Hansen in that film, and he has the disfigurement in his Adam Pearson. Yes, right, so it'd be be like mocking him, right he is. He didn't choose to look this way. No, that's just something he has, right. And the other thing too is being a child as well. I was like, I just wasn't. Maybe it's just the dad coming out me, but I don't like mocking people for how they look.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But at the same time, I mean, I think you've got to consider the context as well.
Speaker 1: Certainly not the butt of the joke.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying that you're not getting the context. And I'm saying, yeah, she's certainly not the butt.
Speaker 1: Of the joke. She's the butt of the joke. I think the butt of the joke is the fact I know he's the butt of the joke because he thinks it's going to heal his daughter, but it was supposed to.
Speaker 4: Be Like that's why I'm saying it's playing. I think they're using it as a check, but they're also using it to make a larger point.
Speaker 1: Piece of a puzzle. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that Adam Pearson guys himself.
Speaker 4: There's another There's a movie called A Different Man that came in I think last year with Sebastian Stan better known as Bucky from the Marvel movies.
Speaker 1: Wasn't he going to be playing or suggest that people were hoping he was going to play Mark Hamore like a young Mark Hamill. Yeah, because he sort of has that look about him. It's weird.
Speaker 4: I remember seeing him in Hot Tap Time Machine, which we cover on the Movie Guide with Marlin.
Speaker 1: Davis, much to Lennard's dismayed to bring her around.
Speaker 4: In my way of thinking, I was looking at him going, you're one of these guys who looks like a bunch of different people. Because he looked a bit like Bill Paxton, he looked a bit like Michael Bean, and he looked a bit like Michael ham looked a bit like Mark Hamill. It's like you're one of those guys. Aren't you say anything, play anything?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: In Different Man, he Sebastian Sam plays a guy he's got that same sort of I want to say, deformity, which is a disease. Disease, yeah, affliction whatever, disease, Yeah, who has his face turned into Sebastian stand by by surgery, but he still sort of feels like the same way inside. And yeah, but this this guy, Adam Pearson plays a guy who actually has the same disease but is just very comfortable in himself and is a lot more sort of confident and happy and all that kind of stuff as a result. It's a really it's a really good movie and good performances by both those guys. So yeah, Adam Pierson props of.
Speaker 1: That guy film. Adam Pearson Scarlett, she gets a gear of yeah, under the skin, under the skin, Yeah, what was that film about.
Speaker 4: She's like an alien who comes to Earth and assumes the form of Sculejo Hansson. She's trying to understand humanity and because she's Sculptor Hanson, a lot of dudes want to sleep with her. But when she sort of lures them in and then devours them, it's weird.
Speaker 1: Species. It's like a really peta version of species pretty much. Yeah, species, man, that that got me through. I want to say private school. It was in primary school, prim school, I know. It was like, no, we're grades six were like a high species, you make alien, except the alien is a hot cheek who gets a gear off. That's the most standing I've ever said. And then you're like, there's a two three. Two was absolutely dreadful and we didn't care. No, no, no, no, no, no number three half the guy was at the number two. That was two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hemstridge and oh yeah, but a guy goes to Mars and comes back and he's got the species disease or whatever, and three and four are just like cheap.
Speaker 1: I made the video. We couldn't get his storage, so we'll.
Speaker 4: Just get another anonymous blonde.
Speaker 1: They're good fun. I remember you.
Speaker 4: Like I said the other night, was like, sometimes you just want to do a late night MACS run and watch a piece of shit movie and the species sequels and Species itself, quite honestly is made for that.
Speaker 1: I have vivid memories of it would have been my grade six, my great sixth birthday party, putting Speaker's species in and it was fast forwarding like boobs come Back. We didn't watch the movie. It was just on fast Boobs we go back.
Speaker 4: I've got the earlier version and the reverse of that. I remember going to a might have been a twelfth birthday party at my friend Ollie's house, and we're going to watch the movie Excaliburate. You know that one, Yeah, about King Arthur, But it starts off with what is I've come to discover an orgy?
Speaker 1: No, no, it's a it's a fairly.
Speaker 4: Tame sex scene. But let's just say, does have some bouncing boobs in it? Doctor Ollie, Ollie's dad. It's like he pulled his own modified for TV. But he said, all right, we're cutting ahead ten minutes.
Speaker 1: No, the story doesn't making his sense.
Speaker 4: Now you've ruined the you've ruled the story telling architecture of EXCaliber with met little film that was like, no, sounds downing.
Speaker 1: This dude is making his sense. No, but I think we all remember. I think we're all like, apparently there was boobs. That's what we're missing out on.
Speaker 4: Oh god, we were so uh, we were so innocent, and you're so horny.
Speaker 1: And then in year seven, year eight, we got the I've mentioned before, the blood sucking freaks. We're like, oh, this was a bad choice. Oh God, this was a bad choice. I had one one more than we get into it. It's do it.
Speaker 4: The Virgin Mary statue is located where Baisley, Bailey. It's in Bailey, It's in Peter's Church and Peters Church.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, all right, so try for some cheeseboom shoutouts. Sure, I love cheesypoofs. You love cheesypoofs. Weed didn't cheesypoofs. Weety game started with the amazing Katy g with her one hundred dollars support. We've got Glenn Gomez, Justin Parker, Zach prut, Shaney, Macker, Elliott, j O'Neil, Isabella Murphy, Rach Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Sean DV, Pete Anderson, Timothy Belson, Andrew Davis, Kevin Dental, Planned Flood, Bella Window Bank, Jack McFadden, Heath Appleby, Adrick McLeod, March Eleven Ginger and Pickle, Preston Murray, Tillia, Enriquez, Declan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Logan, b James Shephard, Joe Readenseec, Dave Pretzels, McNelly, Gavin Lang, Demi Miller, Charlie Joe, Abigail b Sharpcater and Craig Alti Smash Globster. We love it every one of those people, don't. We miss the Davis, Yes, very much, so so indeped.
Speaker 4: I'd think about it for a second. I had to think about each and every one of them. Was like, there's not a single person there I.
Speaker 1: Dislike, No, not at all. All right, So the original ed of Bloody Mary was December seventh, two thousand and five. The top three films at the US box office were walked the line at number three. How do you say that movie aon flux fl a on flux. Yeah, that was with ch Yeah, and Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire was still number one, be number one for a few weeks. I'm assuming everyone loves Harry Potter, Well, they used to. I thought they came out was it must have been Lord of the Rings came out on the boxing day? Yeah, I thought Harry Potter was the same.
Speaker 4: I think Harry Potter started at the the end of November or the start of December, and it would have like December to itself and then Lord of the Rings would sort of take over.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, cause it's just like, okay, it's Potter, It's Potter Lord of the Rings.
Speaker 4: The time was, man, honestly, you look at the early two thousands, I mean it was just geek heaven you got these dope Harry Potter movies.
Speaker 1: Star Wars. You still like Star Wars is back.
Speaker 4: They brought Spider Man to the screen in a really good way.
Speaker 1: Of course, you know, they did a Lord of the.
Speaker 4: Rings, the X Member doing well. X Men did great. Yeah, even had weird outlines like the whole movie.
Speaker 1: It was the It was the time when nerds started to become the norm. It was like it was okay to be geeky. We knocked the jocks off the mantle, and then the jocks we had your varsity blues.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then the jocks started wearing Star Wars T shirts and gave us a wedgie, and yeah, threw us back into the into the into our lockers.
Speaker 1: That is indeed, all right. The other the top three films that Yours Box Office was of course written and directed by Trey Parker. The episode kicks off at Itchy Barn Karate and Cartman's just I.
Speaker 4: Need to look up itchy barn I gets the thing. It means something.
Speaker 1: It's it's the numbers, itchy Sonshi, so it's one too correct, Yeah, itchy barn So no, it's itch son she it son she go Japanese. I used to learn Japanese like kindergarten at a pramate school. Likewise, so I can count attend it she barn translation number one. Yeah, I thought it was itchy bar sonh yeah, itchy ni son she so. Itchy bar means number one and itchi is one. Okay, So so itchi ban is number one two very different things one and number one one too great? It need son she yeah it son she go rock got you? Yeah, I always get lost in the middle there.
Speaker 4: And at the end of my apologies to any of our Japanese listeners, that was not he putting on an accent.
Speaker 1: I'm just a condition from you, toul discipline.
Speaker 4: I racked discipline to change my pronunciation.
Speaker 1: Yes, so yeah, that Eric's doing his own thing. He says he likes discipline. It says true discipline. I don't rack discipline, no, and true discipline comes from within. And they all rush home because they want to find if they wash the file ups at a loss, but they find out that Randy is not there. He went and got drunk with Nelson two dollars. It's great. Yeah, down at the pub. They're not sure if he should drive home, but he's got some beers to keep his butzer going, so he'll be fine. And he's I'm not sure if you should be driving while you're drinking. No, No, I'm not drinking while i'm driving.
Speaker 4: No i'm not I'm not drink driving. I'm driving. I'm driving while i'm drinking.
Speaker 1: Driving while i'm drinking. Yes, and then he does the ping in the bottle. There was this a dumb and dumber reference. There's a reason God gave us a made up penis to look like little host any coils in the bottle. And when saw the cop arrive, I'm like, are they going to really the jump and dumber gag where the cop drinks it? But no, that's what happens.
Speaker 4: No, this cop is just a regular ass cop. Yeah, just doing his job.
Speaker 1: Feez him maybe all over the road, who knows, Maybe you're speeding, he says, what seems to be the officer problem, and he can't touch the finger to the nose. His pants are falling down. Reminds me of the recent you see the arrest of j T justin tim Bleake. No, I know that the footage came out. Yeah, I watched it. So he's clearly off his head. But he makes his awesome gag and makes the office like second guess himself. So he's going through his details. Can you can fund all these details are correct? He's reading it. He pauses and he goes, white goes. He goes just joking the guy go, oh fuck, he goes what.
Speaker 4: I don't think JT has been canceled, but I think he has been sideline. I think everyone's kind of like, oh, JT's so corny now, but no.
Speaker 1: No know what the thing is. Enough time has passed where to kids, they don't know who the fuck he is. That's true. Like a lot of people who were like famous, the same with Jim Carry. All these people are hanging shit on Jim Carried. They didn't live through the Jim Carry era. He's just this guy from like to the equivalent of someone from the seventies.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, the people who sort of came up with JT and who lifted him up need to come back and say, you know what, we really like this guy as well. You should you look at him? And I said, snl, you look at him in movies.
Speaker 1: We's jes like a beealing all this. Yeah, she's probably god justin again. But just the white Edigan says the cops like, oh, what's the race version of misgendered someone? It's racialized. I don't know, I'm not sure, but yeah, just and honestly what it's the delivery of white.
Speaker 4: I'm saying, bring just as we brought Sexy back, let's bring JT.
Speaker 1: Hey. Look, he has the troll movies. They're doing fucking well. Yeah. Yeah, like he's just he just live with that troll money. Now you're going to find a franchise. But here's the thing.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think you know, if you've been in the public eye as long as JT has, because I mean he's one of these Mickey Mouse kids, he's like Ryan Goslin or Britney Speakers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you get a little hooked on. Not even you or I.
Speaker 4: If we had jten money, I think I think you'd close the laptop now. I think your podcast maybe once a month or something.
Speaker 1: I'd do it once like I do the fourth a discapt maybe that's it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And as I always like to say, sorry, I mean, and we've got my catch trays, but I'll be sitting on the beach only twenty percent. That's exactly what I'd be doing. Yeah, but I may get the thing. If you've been doing this all your life. The adulation is the juice just as much as the actual actual money.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like wrestlers. The wrestler they can't stop doing it. Sure, obviously they don't have the money, except except they have to have interested it be able. I saw the arrest yesterday was we're doing the review. I was like, oh me a JT. Because yeah, it was it was clearly pissed off his head, like he couldn't do the things that maybe you're trying to do. Is just it was he had that face of when the window went down, and it's like he knows his farm and the guy didn't know who he was. And I think that would be the most that would be the hardest part of someone like JT. A young officer. I'm just Tim Blake, and he's like, sure, okay, okay, but like that means anything. Can't see your idea and you can see the moment he's like, oh, this guy has know who I am. I find that a bit odd in.
Speaker 4: Order to see just I mean, it's pretty much a brand. It's also a very recognizable name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's I don't know. If I reckon a year old cousin who's justin Timblad, she'd have no idea. Why would she? Why was she?
Speaker 4: They would have heard the name though, at least and go, oh, that's someone who used to be even if they're not Sabrina Carpenter like, oh yeah, that name rings about. It's like, I mean, but I'm not comparing the two in terms of fame or impact or anything like that. But it's like Elvis Presley, you know the name. You know the name at the very least, maybe I can understand. It's like, let's say Nick Carter got pulled over. Nick Carter's like, well, that's a fairly sort.
Speaker 1: Of nondescript who Nick Carter is?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: See the one is still alive. They're all still alive. No, I think one of them is dead. The Backstreet Boys name. No, I mean I'm talking about the Carters Carter passed away. Yeah, yeah, Okay, this took a turn I Want Candy Kid on the cover of that in the early two thousands.
Speaker 1: Okay, the song I remember the original? Yeah, the original one. Yeah, yeah, that was that was cool. But anyway, so this is where Randy gets arrested. His pants fall down, he's at the station. He throws up whilst he's blowing into the thing. The kids are waiting there. They've got to say game member one side and a prostitute on the other, and your dad wacks disciplined. We're out of school and they didn't get home till about two thirty and stand asking you just keep this to yourself because it's embarrassing from me. Any want he wants to find out about it, it would be it would be yeah, absolutely, we don't anyone to know about it. And then they say they've got a motivational speaker here to talk about the dangers of drunk driving, and it's Randy, of course, who's been given community service. Randy's just not that into it. He's clearly of the mind's like well yeah, he says later in the game meeting, it's like, so, so he's been arrested, being to court, being given a court order, and the following morning, he's already at the school.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, we're playing a little fast and less the time for compression purposes.
Speaker 1: But yes, you're right, you.
Speaker 6: Shouldn't drink because it leads to bad things. I was in jail for the night, and well, I guess I don't know. I just don't drink. But if you must drink, definitely don't drive. I've definitely learned that firsthand, that's all I guess. Well, I think we've all learned an important lesson, haven't we.
Speaker 5: Class If you don't make the right choices in life, you could end up being a big loser like Stan's dad. Drinking and driving is for idiots. Nobody wants to end up like Stan's dad, do they. I want you all to take a good look at Stan's dad and say, is that who I want to be in thirty years getting tickets and having to go to elementary school classrooms and talk about how pathetic I am.
Speaker 1: Thank you, mister marsh I think you made your point. We're now at the AA meeting and Michael says he's lost his job in his family goes drinking. Because of drinking, he's now being sober ten years. Bill is on the twelve step program. Was always steps, isn't it. It's always a twelve step program or twelve step program. Okay, yeah, he's been doing it for two months. No more blowing guys on Corfac's avenue for a pint of foger for this cowboy. I love the cowboy. For this cowboy man is now here for his first meeting, and he just won't admit that he's an alcoholic. And I can understand the wild be people that were thinking. He goes, no, I'm not an alcoholic. I just made a bad choice. But is Randy an alcoholic? He probably is. I mean what is that alcoholic though? Is as someone that can't live without alcohol in their system on a daily basis? Like what defines alcoholic? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I really think it varies from it's a case by case base, but I think if it's if you can't make it through the day without a drink or want to make a.
Speaker 1: Couple of beers with his dinner every night. You know, he's a manager at his work. He makes shiitloads morening than I do. He's fully functional. But is he an alcoholic or.
Speaker 4: Maybe he's a functional cohol I mean, there's so many.
Speaker 1: He doesn't get drunk. He has like two or three beers with his dinner other night because that's just the way I calm down before I go to bed. I'm like, but does that make him an alcoholic? I don't know what is an.
Speaker 4: Alcoholic when you can't live without alcohol? Or I mean, if you said, okay, we're taking away those two beers, how do you feel after a week. I'm not saying about your monde. No, yeah, it'd be interesting to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is where they basically start hammering down that you are powerless, and it's the rule cult like mentality of you must, you know, dedicate your life to God, God, the anyone can save you. That kind of yeah.
Speaker 4: Now, the other thing that I did read about this was that while I think AA did have its initial sort of origins in religion, they'd actually say God in the twelve steps. It's more you have to turn yourself over to a higher power.
Speaker 1: They mentioned God here, god like power of it. They say, yeah, but they could be anything you're believing yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah probably, yeah, probably could be your wife or your family. It's like, yeah, if you're going to do it for anyone, do it for them or something. So you need to have a bit of a north star.
Speaker 1: But is it doing it for them or is it you need them to help you get through because but what they're doing here is they're saying that you need to rely on this person to help you through it, as opposed to you you have to do it yourself.
Speaker 4: That Yeah, I think that's why we became alcoholics anonymous as well, so you don't have to sort of spilling your guts completely. But it's also you know, we're all here for one another, and no one member of the group is lesser or greater than another.
Speaker 1: There's no judgment. Yeah, but Brandy points out that I don't I'm not an alcoholic. I just need to cut down to my drinking. No. No, you have a disease and you can't cure it yourself as deadly and this is where things take it to over for the worst.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now, how much this is I don't think it would be like.
Speaker 1: This not there to make you feel bad. No.
Speaker 4: Again, from from my brief reading to this, I mean you can actually show up to an AA meeting under the influence you don't share. You don't sort of get up and say, guy, I'm an alcoholic. You just you sit there and you sort of take it all in. But I mean, yeah, it's from what I can gather, it strikes me as a fairly non judgmental environment, which is I think, yeah, that's what it is, exactly what it was designed to be.
Speaker 1: So he stand gets home and he finds and he drinking. You on the couch. She says, I have a disease. Daddy's very sick. He runs off crying, shaves his head. And I thought, here though, and they kind of were to an extent mocking people who have cancer, or no, they won't mock people have cancer. Randy was meant was designed to look like someone who has cancer, and he thought he was going through the same things as I guess, aligning himself with people who have genuine diseases but out of their control. Cancer. It is out of your control. Absolutely.
Speaker 4: The other thing that I wanted to sort of talk about real quickly is that rehab and recovery, well, it may have the best intentions, it's a big, big industry, and I'm not going to say, oh, it's in their best interest to sort of make you think, oh, you're sick and you need help in this regard and we're the ones who can provide it, but I'm not not saying that either.
Speaker 1: Now, guys, I hope you're enjoyed this week's show. Remember, if you do love everything we do here at four Finger Discount, the best way to show your support is by joining the four Finger Discount family on Patreon. You can do so for as little as just one dollar per month, but for five dollars you get access to hundreds of hours of bonus podcast are exclusive discord Facebook groups, early ad free access to the show. The list goes on. Obviously, we know you'd probably be happier with the dollar, but if you do have a spared dollar we doo each month. We'd love for you to show your support and join the four finger to Scare family on Patreon. He says, the sense that you gotta take it easy. You're gonna get me another beer. It's hitting me up. I hate my illness and the anything to concure is a miracle. I can't. I'm sick. Yeah. We cut to the Mary statue at Saint Peter's Church. It starts bleeding. We get the news report it's bleeding out the ass and that's just playing that up. There's bleeding at the ass because at first, when it first bleeds, you don't see where it's coming. So everyone, a lot of people have come to see the miracle and they want to find why do you think that vege Mary is dripping blood? And she gives out some excuses, why do you think out of her ass? Then Randy says, the news report stands done. We're now at AA once again, and Harry has been sober for five years. He says, drinking nice tea and working a relationship with God is more fun than partying. As you're saying, they're the ones are like, it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: I feel bad for people who probably actually did get something out of AI. I mean, it feels like that same particular is kind of rubbing the rubbing in the faces.
Speaker 1: Well, it's basically what they're doing here is they're mocking people who go there almost to an extent, Yeah, which they shouldn't have done.
Speaker 2: Once I accepted that I was powerless to control my drinking in my life, I put it in God's hands, and now these meetings are the most fun thing I do.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, who's in charge here?
Speaker 1: None of us are in charge. We're all powerless.
Speaker 2: Look, my dad was here yesterday and you all kind of messed him up by telling him he.
Speaker 1: Had a disease. Alcoholism is a disease.
Speaker 2: No, it's not. And you can't just go around saying stuff like that to people like my dad. He's kind of a hypochondriac.
Speaker 3: It is a disease because it's a physical dependency that makes you a disease.
Speaker 2: No, cancer is a disease. My dad needs to drink less.
Speaker 1: He can't quit by himself, none of us could.
Speaker 6: He needs divine intervention, spirituality.
Speaker 2: No, he just needs a discipline. But thanks to you people, my dad now thinks he has a disease that he can't cure himself.
Speaker 6: Young man, do you know anything about the twelve step program?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I also know a thing or two about cults. I was the leader of one for a while.
Speaker 1: God damn it. He's got a disease. No cancer is a disease. My dad just needs to drink less. It's not that simple. No. No, But for comic effect, I get what they're going for here for some people.
Speaker 4: But it's also yeah, I mean the underlying thing of that is yeah again. Parker and Stone's message of take responsibility for your own shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he says he needs to. Sometimes you're trying to and sometimes it's a little harder than you're making that to be. He calls himccult and he knows what a cult is because he used to run one himself. And they throw him out. Now there's a big crowd to watch the Mary statue. Cry blood out of her ass. They say, cry blood of her ass. I think so something like that. Anyway, they've caught him. The cardinal from a Vatican to determine if it's a miracle or not. And we get them yet leaning in shits over his face, squats sali over his face to blood. It's a merry girl. Then Stan sees Randy getting into a car to drive to the church because he wants to go have a miracle himself himself. Stand says no, no, no, and he says, a divine ass blood has miraculous healing powers. We have to go. His license is suspended. If you get caught driving, you have a job for ten years. So he tells standard drive him with his only hope. Randy has put his faith in a higher power. You have to believe. I have to believe it's going to work and they join the long line. Here at the statue, we've got the guy who is suffering from brain cancer, got a disease, alcoholism. It's pretty serious, pretty serious. Yes, he sees Josh Garrett. This is where he says, ye, that the pretty serious stuff. And Josh's daughter has alphanis. He says, we are the same, she and I, and then everyone yells a stand for cutting the line.
Speaker 4: It's a cutter's dirty a butter. He's a dirty, dirty line butter. The butter is a dirty line cutter.
Speaker 1: Runs a cutter. Yes. Then they're at the statue and they're wiping the blood off the old lady. Then Randy wants to take a spot in the line where there's a guy who apparently has clearly kidney trouble, so he's going to the toilet all the time, and the guy directed behind him is blind. So Randy thinks it's in line there, it's in there in the line. What's your thoughts on cutting in line? I'm a big no it, don't do it. No, don't do it, and I'm never letting you in. I really despise. I've mentioned on the podcast the people that think they can fly up the outside lane and just want to cut it into the end. It's like, no, no, you're gonna sit there and wait. Absolutely, I don't care if you go behind me, but you ain't getting in front of me.
Speaker 4: The lines are it's democracy in action. Yeah, and it's like great equalized and I.
Speaker 1: Love it, and Nicola goes or maybe they didn't know they were part of this line and they decided to try and skip something they knew exactly what they were doing. Yeah, I've never let anyone cut in line, would you? How are you for letting a friend cut in line? Or it's the whole saving a place. I found the only time we wrote the adventure part on the weekend and our friends were in line and our friends go, oh, we're gonna go a toy that just save a spot for us, and I'm like, mother fuck it. So we're gonna wait in line, you're gonna talk short whatever. So did you all go together? Yeah, yeah, that's fine, right right, And then we get to the end of the line and all of a sudden they just ride like, oh yeah, we'll we're back now. I'm like, you guys were going for like fifteen minutes and to's are right there. Okay, you go, and then it's like everyone's looking at us, and I'm like that sounds sas.
Speaker 4: I'm like, eh, like I don't think they should be your friends anything.
Speaker 1: Because what why I felt bad was because the person who was directly behind me their kids would have gone on the ride. Because our friends rocked up at last minute, they had to wait for the next rotation. I was like, I'm not a fan of this, but you know, I can't really say anything, but I didn't like how they did that. And I'm telling you, they didn't just go to the talks. The torts are right there and they came from around that corner. I was just was a bit call them out on No, I didn't. I didn't do they listen to this podcast?
Speaker 4: No, the only time I will allow cutting in of lines or sanctioned that such buffoonery. Supermarket mm hmm. If so you're in a queue, I've got a I've got a big basket of stuff. Oh you've got you've got one zucchini?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, common sense prevailing, of course, what common decency? Yeah, common decency. But sometimes it just it is common sense. Oh sure, it's like or you're playing golf. It's like you're in a group offom and this guy by himself behind you waiting. You're like, dude, just go through, okay, Carlo, Yeah, well you should have to wait. Just go go through, mates, It's all good. But yeah, so they're the only standing for cutting in line, and I would be these people as well. I would not like cutters. Yeah. Then I think I've mentioned before the Space Mountain. I was like, you a fucking getting in front of me. New way, I'm getting on Space Mountain right now. Randon puts it. But I've got what do they call.
Speaker 4: That thing in Disney where the you can pay like super extra and you get to the gut to.
Speaker 1: The fronts everything park. It's the Express Pass. Yeah I like that.
Speaker 4: Why, Like said I, I'm a big believer in the great equalizer of the line.
Speaker 1: I bought these Spress pass everywhere. Okay, fine separates. What was it the program? The amateur? Yeah, so stand here. So they get sans getting yelled at. He demands that we go back, and then Randy tells the officer I need it more. You know, I'm an alcoholic. My brother, he's an alcoholic. Quick cut Through pushed him to the front of the line esquirts on Mandy's face, and so I'm not going to drink again. It's a miracle. Good morning family. The Lord is truly blessed us with another beautiful day. It's just amazing. I haven't had a drink in five days. Praise Christ, Praise him. Praise Christ, Praise Christ. And we're now at the AA meeting at there's going to be an AA meeting at Whistling Willies and you want everyone to come, and stands like, no, no, We're going to be going to Carle's place to watch footy game. They want you to come, and he's like, no, no, no, I'm going to go to this meeting. I've got new friends, now friends friends. He drags stand there. So we're now at Whistling Willies and they see the news report on the on the TV about the statue and Pope Benedict the sixteenth has visited the statue is examining closely. As we said that the sound effects, and that's a that's a.
Speaker 4: Real sort of representation of Pope Benedict as well. He was, I say, with all due respect of the late Pontiff, he was a scary looking guy, a look and it's fine. I don't know if he was the one who followed up Pope John Paul the second. It was a very friendly looking fellow.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, this guy does look a bit. Yeah, and Pope Benedict kind of.
Speaker 4: I don't want to say you look like Voldemort, but a little like Voldemont.
Speaker 1: Going to first he want to go over right? Yeah? Yeah, tough gig. Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Check out the movie Conclave if you want to learn a bit more about it.
Speaker 1: Good movie. Yeah, Conclave. What's it about the pope?
Speaker 4: It's about they have to elect a new pope and there's all manner of sort of.
Speaker 1: It's a documentary film.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, it's a it's a drama. Oh okay, with Ray Fines and John Lithgow and Stanley Tucci.
Speaker 1: John lefth gowh I want to mention in the podcast we watched a movie the other day. I thought, I thought the guy about this, we're gone to big detail. What do you think of early nineties? John Lithgower, villain ricochet Chet? Have I not told you about Rick shou We found it unlike what a movie? Oh man, We're gonna do an episode just about Rick.
Speaker 4: I saw that in Hong Kong back in ninety one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, what the fuck is this? But just sawing people with chainsaws and yeah, man, it's insanely violent. It's morally bankrupt. Yeah yeah, and Liftgow is this insane villain and just as insane end sequence as they did in I literally turned Nicola push pauls I like guys says it them like they don't make these movies anymore like we used to make things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, Ricochet directed by Australias and Russell Malkaye.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, what a movie. Man, that's absolutely ridiculous. That's exactly what you want in these movies. Yeah, but it is morally bereafed because I don't think I can buy John lygot as like this this bad guy. I know, there's something about it that he has that look in his eye. You're like, I believe you would do this ship Oh yeah, I mean it's funny.
Speaker 4: He's a really interesting career because I mean he started off and in a couple of early movies he played like really cold blooded villains and then he started being nice guys. And this was Henderson's Yeah, and this was a real sort of return to was like Oh no. This guy does cold Psycho as well as anybody. He says a line that's gonna stay with me.
Speaker 1: Oh the parole board. No no, no. When he says you stay away, or a boyfriend would have left of her, she's gonna need a paper bag over her. Him and a boyfriend fos what's left of her? I was like, Oh, I was like, holy shit, John liftgout. What's a parole board line?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, the mother and daughter? Yeah, well, what's it?
Speaker 4: What will you do when you released mister list time? My first thing I'll do. I'll pay a visit to your house to thank me. I suppose no, no to fuck your wife, your daughter or probably even your dog.
Speaker 1: And then chainsaws get cut out. Man Ricochet, we're doing a movie. Goo on that one and get landed on board and like just at the start, it's like gin Ricochet on the bullet and stuff. Iced tea is in it? Yes, with hair yeah, oh that's well he still got hair, hasn't he? But when he had long hair. Yeah, it's it's very, very very this is this is long flowing, yeah, this is initialized. Yeah.
Speaker 4: When he does the does the song over the closing credits, Oh it dropped your side by dropping in knees by your head like a bitch, on and play.
Speaker 1: You'll get hit by the ricochet. Turns out Washington's getting his gear off to try and young Denzel in rippon Shape. Yeah, fantastic, Rickachet a movie on your on your HBO Max service. Yeah, yeah, we were very happy, but we found that film.
Speaker 4: I get mean to write, there's an artist as a series in the Guardian newspaper called My Comfort Movie, and I keep writing the sort of write an article about Rickchet.
Speaker 1: Really rickget because I said to Nicolas, said, it's because we're talking about the cop film A Cop and a half whatever recently, right, yeah, and I'm talking about how just that the movie industry was just so pumping at that point, right, I said to Nicola, this is all you gotta do. Yeah, someone like a Denzel and you gets someone to play the villain like John lyth Gow and he's surroundoed by those guys, and you just have a basic plot that you know might be a bit ridiculous, but you don't care. Have a few action sequences, some fucking some language, some violence, boom ba boom, throw it out there for fifty twenty million dollars, make a hundred, make more movies like Rickockhet. Of course they're not a fucking hard they're not well. No, I mean the structure, to take away from Ricochet, No, no, the structure is fairly basic. Yeah, famous villain, famous hero, surrounded by people that you know, you know, Yeah, give them some snappy lines of dialogue. That's the other thing I mean.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I told him sorry, we'll get will turn to bloody marry as soon as possible. But I watched this movie the other night on Netflix called war Machine.
Speaker 1: You're aware of this one.
Speaker 4: If you've seen this, you have you heard about this starring Alan Richson aka TV's Reacher, And it's basically Predator but with a Transformer, with an evil Transformer as the villain, and it's so boring. None of the characters has got any defining characteristics at all, but kills aren't that great, and none of them say anything even vaguely cool. We will are Predator, right, because it's at the start. All these characters are different, but each of them will say something kind of vaguely cool or funny. But you know, even what's his name, Hawkins will telling them the jokes about the pussy all the time.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic.
Speaker 4: Big Jesse Ventura is saying, why don't you choose some of that Tobaco him again, goddamn sexual Tyrannosaurus.
Speaker 1: Just like me. I don't want I can't wait till these guys get killed. But at the same time, I don't want them to get killed. Yeah, with war Machine, was like, I don't care if you die. Was that that guy that got killed or the other guy? I don't know what? What is this? Make more movies like Rigochet is what I'm saying. And who's his partner of the Little Guy?
Speaker 4: Yeah he suspects no no, no, no, oh yeah, Denzel's partner, Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, Kevin pol Pollack, Yeah yeah, he's good.
Speaker 1: Yes yeah.
Speaker 4: But also Litho has got a little offsider as well. Oh yeah yeah, who's a real sort of like freaky weirdo kid who was the son of legendary Hollywood producer Robert Evans. He's got He's one of the most creepy lines in it as well. I think Lithgo has knocked out Denzel Washington, knocked him unconscious.
Speaker 1: He said, I better ship his pants. I can't wait to look, what's wrong with you? What's wrong with you? But Nicolay goes, I don't understand. Why does he just kill him? I'm like, because the whole point is he wants to ruin his life. Yeah, spend years behind bar If anything, this is the worst villain than the guys. Just gonna kill him. You're gonna put him through why torture? Yeah, kids a hooking to give him a clap? Yeah? Wow, I love Ricochet. I was.
Speaker 4: I was Facebook buddies with the co writer of it for a while and we were sort of having DMS and I asked him, said, oh, then we about Ricochet And he said, you why don't get him on the movie? Goal about because we're not We're not buddies anymore.
Speaker 1: For some reason. That just yeah, the relationship just ended, as in like you, he doesn't like you, or you know. I think it just stopped. Just contact him again. I tried doing that. Do you think I didn't want to stop doing He just stoped writing back to you. Were you ask One of those people was like, I'll rope back to you once and then he kept writing back and they're like, oh, I didn't want to start a friendship. With you.
Speaker 4: I think it might have been something like it's unfortunate. But he did say that Rickchet was actually designed as a Dirty Harry sequel. And then when Clint said that's a bit much. It was going to be Kurt Russell, then he pulled out and you know, make it with Denzel what's his name, Oh, the co writer. His name is Fred Decker.
Speaker 1: We'll get we'll do Ricochet in the movie right at some point. Okay, I'm sure Lender would love that. It'd be like, I think we should see other people. Yes, all right, let's wrap up. This is going to stay in the show. Let's wrap up Bloody Mary. Okay, so yes, So this is where they announced that the pipe has gone to you see the statue exqueests of blood.
Speaker 3: After witnessing the phenomenon firsthand, the Pope then cleaned himself off and then declared that the bleeding Virgin Mary statue is not a miracle. What Having investigated closely, the Pope determined that the blood was not coming from the Virgin Mary's ass, but rather from her vagina, And the Pope said, quote, a chick bleeding out her vagina is no miracle. Chicks bleed out their vaginas all the time.
Speaker 1: Back to you, Tom.
Speaker 4: I love how they had just the picture of bo bendit and that sort of that wide on the screen like a legitimate news story.
Speaker 1: But thinks on parerless again, I still have a disease. I my god. He orders a lot of drinks. Everyone else starts doing as well, more powerless.
Speaker 4: It was going to be one of my trivia questians is what does he order? Because I think three shots of whiskey, two little bowls of vodka, like it's like six beers.
Speaker 1: And some jello shots on there. Yeah, sellots. You ever had any of those? I have a long time ago, and yeah, not a fan. I never had, just had shots. It used to be like the cow like cowboys mud muddh yeah, mud, something like chocolate milkshakes, almost cock sucking cowboys. It wasn't that it was like mud. It was something mud. It was like chocolate. Yeah, I don't know anyway. But Stanton orders him to stop, don't drink, explains that you have the power. You did this on your own, and he says you don't have to have a drink. You know, you don't have to not drink, you just have to it goes on any spiel. Here you don't have to slid it from your life, and then it still controls you to an extent. You have to learn some discipline. He says, all or nothing is easy. Learning to drink a little bit responsibly is discipline, and it comes from within. And he said, how do I manage a research to smart kids? I had a great teacher, not your dad, my karate teacher. He's really smart. Yes, yes, we've already talked about this enough. I mean, but yeah, saying all or nothing is easy. I don't know if it is easy. Maybe the nothing part, maybe the all part is easy. Yeah, just just not yeah, just drinking all the time. Is going without it all the time? It's not easy? Oh no? And I mean I guess that's where you know.
Speaker 4: You get guys at the AA meeting like it's great fun drink eleven AD and hanging out with my AA bud is.
Speaker 1: But some people need to have nothing in order to stay is it on? Yeah? Because they go all yeah, they can't. They go tilt. They have no discipline, and that's not their faults. Some people don't have discipline, Yes, But I did like the scene here at the end where they're walking off together. It felt like a Simpson's ending to an extent where Ranny's walking off and he's like we'll be here or two three, don't push. It's like twenty that's not disciplining. And as the end of Bloody Mary and the end of season nine of South Bark, we have come to the end. It was a really solid season, certainly was. And guess what. Next week we're going to be doing our top ten episodes of season nine season wrap up. I guess you did? Yes what, I know what? But yes, Thank you guys for all of your support at Going Down to South Park. Don't forget too. Please continue to rate and review us on Apple Podcasts, Stify wherever you are listening to this show. If you can't support us on Patreon, that'd be much appreciated as well. But until next week's season I wrap up, mister Davis Davan, you find the words of those incredible listeners out there.
Speaker 4: We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Going Down to South Park, the podcast that does not orrack a discipline