Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray ONU BZY, Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back everybody, as we are head into our nine o'clock hour, and tonight we're going to spend an hour talking with two sheriffs here in Massachusetts. We have only fourteen sheriffs in Massachusetts, and we have two of them with us tonight. Delighted to welcome Norfolk County Sheriff Patrick McDermott, Sheriff McDermott, welcome back to Nightside. How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great, Dan, Thanks for having me on tonight, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome in joining us from the other side of Massachusetts, from the western side, from Berkshire County Sheriff Thomas Bowler, Sheriff Bowler, welcome to Nightside.
Speaker 4: Thanks Dan. Great, great to be on and thank you for having us.
Speaker 2: Have I got that name? McDermott's an easy one for you know?
Speaker 3: For me?
Speaker 2: Is it bowler? A bowler? Want to make sure that I did it correctly?
Speaker 4: It right with Bowler?
Speaker 2: Bowler? All right, all right, now you've been a sheriff out there for about fourteen fifteen years, as I understand it, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: So you come from a law enforcement background. You worked as a police detective.
Speaker 4: Yep. I started my career as a police officer in nineteen eighty five, and I was signed to detective Brull in the latter part of eighty eight and eighty nine, and then ran for sheriff at the PD for twenty five years and ran for sheriff in twenty ten.
Speaker 2: All right, and Sheriff McDermott, you had a little bit of a political pedigree, I would say from what the research I've done, so both of you have come to a very important office, but sort of by a different path, correct Sheriff McDermott.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I started right after law school. I was a prosecutor at the Suffer County District Attorney's Office at the Boston Municipal Court, and then became a city councilor in Quincy and then ran to Norfolk County Register of Probate and served for eighteen years running the probate and family court before the opportunity presented itself to run for sheriff in Norfolk County and I've served there now for in my fifth year as sheriff and going along with.
Speaker 2: Stride, and you're also the president of the Sheriff's Association here in Massachusetts.
Speaker 3: Correct, correct, Yeah, we get elected, we kind of share the position over a couple of years. It's forth to only fourteen of us, so it goes back and forth for a time. But the president serves two years as the leader of our fourteen sheriff's offices, advocating for the office of sheriff, whether it's at the legislature or out in the community or with our friends like yourself and the press.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's let's talk again. You're in a county that is very much more of an urban county, urban and suburban county. Norfolk County. Sheriff Bowler is in a county that's I don't think it's fair to call it rural sheriff, but I certainly it's not a highly urban Berkshire County. How would you how would you want us to describe your county?
Speaker 4: Well, I'd say Berkshire County. If you really look at the state of Massachusetts, there's thirty towns and two cities in Berkshire County, and going north to south from we cover from from the Vermont line to the Connecticut line. It's a good of the state, yes, but it was only we only have a population about one hundred and forty three to one hundred and forty five thousand here in Berkshire.
Speaker 2: County, Okay, and Sheriff McDermott, I'm guessing that your population is a multiple of that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Norfolk County kind of surrounds, you know where we're abutted by Worcester County, Middlesex County, and Suffolk County to the north and east I guess of US or west, and then to the south of US is Plymouth County well as Bristol County, so we're kind of locked in the middle. But Norfolk County is considered kind of a medium sized county in Massachusetts. We have about seven hundred and sixty thousand residents in this county, so it's definitely different.
Speaker 2: So that's good size county, that's sure. Okay. So first question is what are the are the commonalities that and both of you can answer this in any order that you like. What are the commonalities do you think that each of your counties are dealing with in terms of prison population, crime, you know, problems at the top of the list that each of you are dealing with again, different circumstances geographically, perhaps different circumstances, different situations demographically, but what are the commonalities? Is it all? Is it always going to be drugs that's going to be the driving force for your clientele?
Speaker 3: Well, I could probably say Dan Sheriff McDermott here that you know, the there's commonalities across all of our county, throughout the Commonwealth, and certainly sheriffs have a predominant as a primary role of care and custody of inmates justice involved individuals that are serving up to two and a half years in the House of Correction or awaiting pre trial. But when it comes to offenders that are in our respective jurisdiction, one of the challenges of many, but the biggest one is the fact that we do have on average, you know, sixty five seventy percent of our individuals and custody or having a diagnosable substance use or mental health disorder. I think that's something that is significantly different than it was about twenty thirty years ago, you know, when crime was still crime. But I think the population that we're serving is a little bit more complex than it was back in the day, but across the board, across the commonwealth, that's a big challenge for sheriffs as well as members of the Department of Corrections who are challenged with, you know, the care and custod of these men and women who are largely going through a lot of a lot of significant trauma and problems which caused the criminal behavior in the first place. It gets them jammed up into the criminal justice system.
Speaker 2: Sure ball of similar situation out there are a little different in any respect, No, it's.
Speaker 4: About the same. We have. You know, about eighty five percent of of our justice involved individuals are you know, have a substitute disorder. Probably about seventy four percent are dealing with mental health challenges as well. You know, we deal with the individuals that we deal with. We find that and keep in mind in not everybody that comes to our facilities at the direction of the courts are all bad people. They've just made some bad choices and so, but we deal with we have people with a lack of education, the mental health challenges, medical challenge. We have seen the chronic disease or sickness or is skyrocketed from even when I started fourteen years ago. People that are coming to our facilities. Are are you know, more sick than they were years ago. So that presents a big, big challenge economically or financially for our office, in a strain in our medical medical health departments as well.
Speaker 2: I should also mention, if I'm not mistaken, that this is a period this week of awareness. Mental health awareness is this month actually, and also this week we observed National Correction Officers Week. Next week is National Police Week, and of course later on this month we deal with Memorial Day and remembering those who who have served in uniform. And you know, we we forget sometimes the sacrifices that people make, both from the military but also from the law enforcement division. So that's why we're talking today. We have two sheriffs, the president of the Massachusetts Sheriff Association, Sheriff Patrick McDermott in Berkshire County Sheriff Thomas Bowler. If you'd like to join and ask questions, you're welcome to join the conversation six one, seven, two, four ten thirty six seven nine three one ten thirty entertain calls. Again, I ask you to just keep it pretty much on topic. When I get back, I want to talk about a little bit about the challenges that you have in terms of the clientele. What percentage of the people who you're dealing with do you think really are looking to get their lives straightened out and get back on the straight and narrow, and what percentage cheff giving up whole? And how do you deal with and do you do you recognize that differences those differences amongst your population. We're back on Nightside. My name is Dan Ray. We're talking about crime and punishment. Really, crime and incarceration would be the way to talk about this hour tonight. Feel free to join us back on Nightside right after.
Speaker 1: This It's Night Side with Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: With me are two sheriffs from Massachusetts, Norfolk County Sheriff Patrick McDermott and Berkshire County Sheriff Thomas Boehler. And we will get to phone calls, and we have phone calls waiting, so I want to get to them fairly quickly. But I'd just like to finish up with a hot topic, and that is cooperating with the federal government. Federal government has changed. I know both of you are democratic officials. How can can either or both of you explain how this system should work when you have someone in custody that the federal government wants to to get in contact with or take custody off. I'm sure you're not putting up roadblocks, but what did the Feds have to do and what are they not doing that is that's causing a lot of the controversies.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, this has been something that we've dealt with. You know, with the change of administration comes with change of policies or more aggressive policies, as we've seen in Massachusetts in terms of the ramp up towards ICE and you know, we're working towards you know, you know, illegal immigration. So the Massachusetts Sheriffs are kind of on the forefront of this. You know, we've been having discussions with ICE and with with with folks in the federal government about the difference with Massachusetts law. And you know, the Massachusetts Sheriffs pointed out that the Supreme Judicial Court in twenty seventeen ruled that it is unlawful for the state and local law enforcement agencies in Massachusetts to detain anybody solely on the basis of the US immigrations and a Customs enforcement detainer beyond the time that that individual would otherwise be entitled to be released from our custody. So if an individual is coming up on release, we do have ongoing discussions with ICE. When an ICE attention comes in, we do notify that the ICE representatives they come in. They will often interview the people that are in our custody, but it's the ICE obligation to make sure that they're in the facility. When those individuals are preparing to be released, we're not allowed to hold on to them any longer than they ought to be. So it really is somewhat in the past that's been a big disconnect with ICE. We've had documentation in the Norfolk Sheriff's Office where ICE has been contacted and specifically we have been told we're not coming to get the individual. So the head that are disconnect in the past think that because of the more ramped up, you know, efforts by ICE, there's a lot more activity going on within our local jail system and the Massachusetts sheriffs will uphold the law. That is our obligation, and we will make sure we're upholding Massachusetts law, and we are happy to cooperate and work with ICE, but we will not violate the oaths of office we took to uphold the Massachusetts laws.
Speaker 2: Now, sheriffmcdermott, I believe I recognize your voice. You recently went to Washington, as I understand, and actually met with the new Attorney General, Pam Bondi, and the new head of the FBI, Cash Ptel. Correct.
Speaker 3: Correct, And you know I said, you know, with all the politics that surrounds yeah, you know, the Trump administration and Massachusetts being kind of a targeted state, and there are targeted states relative to those that don't necessarily see IDI with the new administration, my attitude and as sheriffs, and I think sure if Fola would share this with me, And you know, we're both members of national organizations of sheriffs from across the county the country. You know, when you take the oath of office as a sheriff and you put a badge on your chest, politics really kind of goes by a little bit of a wayside. We actually just look towards public safety issues. So my obligation, you know, as a president of the Massachusetts Sheriff as just the sheriff, you know, I need to be in the arena if I'm going to do battle. But I needed to see to I with Attorney General BONDI with the FBI Director Cash Bettel. I've met with Secretary of Education Lynda McMahon on some of the problems with grants. So we need to be as as Teddy Roosevelt talked about the man in the arena, if you're going to at least have of debates and articulate and argument, you've got to be where you know the debate is, and that's going to be in Washington, d C. And I intend to spend a lot of time down there just kind of educating Washington bureaucrats about what we're doing in Massachusetts, on all the great things we're doing, but also letting them know that we're just not going to be necessarily bullied by statements by federal officials about how we should handle things in Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: How do you balance that off with US versus Arizona the twenty eleven decision, which basically said that federal immigration law preempts the immigration law nationally. That was the case where the governor of Arizona, Republican governor Governor Brewer, decided she wanted to have stricter immigration enforcement than was being utilized by the Obama administration back in twenty ten, and Supreme Court basically ruled, hey, the FED set immigration law, their word was preempted. Now, I don't know how you reconcile that decision with the Lun decision. Is it kind of puts I think Massachusetts sheriffs in a difficult, awkward position. Or am I misreading one or both of those cases.
Speaker 3: The Arizona case was twenty twelve. I believe with the Supreme Court ruling says states cannot enforce federal law, we we won't be enforcing federal law. Lun just simply your firms that we can't do ICE enforcement outside of what and then we get into the weeds with a formal contract with ICE, which is under this much know as the two eighty seven gen contract. And there is always, as you know, Dan, and you know, as both of us are lawyers, you know, there's there's consistently conflicts of law that come up, and there's usually those particular matters that that settle things a little bit differently in states. By states, you'll oftentimes have different outlooks as to how laws can be enforced. And you know, we've never had Arizona come down in the twenty twelve case, and it was discussed in the twenty seventeen case in Lun. But that's the case as far as we're concerned in Massachusetts that we are obligated to follow.
Speaker 2: So you you follow Lun is what I'm hearing you say. Correct, correct, But you know as well as I do that in recent memory, going back to fifty seven in Arkansas with Governor Farbas and President Eisenhower, those cases involved desegregation cases where Arkansas and eventually Alabama two were forced rightfully so to integrate their school systems. They said that they had state laws in their states which we were in conflict with the federal law, and the federal law tends to prevail. It's going to be interesting to see how how this all works out. You guys are in a tough spot, no question about it, and they don't envy your position. But both of you, I think understand the circumstances and the concern that people have with people who are here illegally, who have committed some pretty serious crimes. I got to take a break, Sheriff Buller. We're going to get your take on that as well.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: We'll get to phone calls along the way as well. We'll got a quick news break here at the bottom of the hour. We the only line open right now. We get two lines at six, one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. I'm going to ask everyone when you do call, please be polite. Ask whatever questions you want, but again, don't need to make speeches, just just simple direct questions and they will give you direct These these two gentlemen, I think are very capable of giving direct answers as you've just seen. We'll be back on Night's Side right after this.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on w B Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back everyone. We're talking with the two Massachusetts sheriff's tonight in Norfolk County, Patrick McDermott, Berkshire County Sheriff Thomas Bohler Shreff Bowler.
Speaker 5: You didn't get a chance to comment on how you deal with immigration issues, and certainly in the context of yous versus Arizona and the lung lung decision, which seemed to me to be have some inherent contradictions between the two of them.
Speaker 2: Do you want to comment on what the status is out in Berkshire County?
Speaker 4: Sure, I go along with what Sheriff McDermott has stated earlier, we have always worked with ICE in the past. We've had incidents as well where we've notified ICE on certain individuals that they've had detainers on and we basically put the onus back onto ICE whether they want to pick these individuals pick them up or not. We have had in the past where they never showed up. Recently, obviously with this new administration, they seem to be following up on a lot of the individuals that we call them on. And of course we don't have a lot up here in Berkshire County, but we've had a couple here and there. But basically what Patrick mcdervis, we follow the law and we work with our law enforcement partners in this, and I think it's very important that we continue to have a good positive dialogue and relationship with them when it comes to the public safety issues with this. You know, we will not hold anybody on just a detainer. The only way we would hold somebody if there is a judicial warrant UH or a judicial warrant from signed by a federal judge that would allow us to keep somebody beyond their detainer. But as far as the detainers go, we notify ICE as we always do, and put the onus back on them whether they show up for the release or not.
Speaker 2: So what I'm hearing you saying, if I'm incorrect, please correct me that during the the Biden years, if you will, the attitude of ICE seems to be a little bit different. You know, we have a deputy director, Tom Lyons from todd Lyons excuse me, Tom Lyons the Sun from from the Boston area, and they're a little bit more aggressive. It sounds to me like they're moving more quickly. When you notify that you have someone in your custody for whom they have a detainer, you're not going to hold them for three weeks or two weeks or a week for that matter. But it sounds to me like the Trump administration's ICE are a little more aggressive in terms of moving quickly then the the Biden administration was. Is what I'm hearing you say. If I'm missing that, please correct me.
Speaker 4: Well, it's not so much. The Biden administration was also even prior to the Biden administration, So it just seems with this new administration that that things have obviously ramped up a little bit. But we still we still follow you know, we follow our law here. If it's a detainer, which is just a simple request from an ICE agent to hold somebody, we do not have the authority to do that. So we put the onus back on ICE. If we notify them the individual could be getting released, either either from court or from our facility, then we notify them with ample time so that they can arrive and then you know, take that person to custody.
Speaker 2: Right. So it sounds to me what I'm hearing you're saying if I'm wrong here, please, I don't want to put words in your mouth. Is that ICE at this point will move as quickly as they can, depending upon the individual, depending upon their their availability of personnel, with a little bit more alacrity than you were seeing with the ICE that was functioning under the Binding administration. That's I'm just trying to make I'm trying to understand that to be really honest with you, because if it's changed a little bit, it's a change. You're following the same pattern and procedure, and ICE is being a little more responsive under this administration or under this administration of ICE. Correct, fair, okay, am, i We're on the same page. I just want to make sure we're on the same page. I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth misleads you. I want to understand it better because, frankly, it's one of the advantages of doing a show like this is I can talk to and my listeners can hear from folks who are in positions of authority, like both you, Sheriff McDermot and Sheriff Bowler. Which Bowler, which is really important for us to hear. Let's get to some phone calls if if you gentlemen are ready, I'm gonna go to Jason, Jason and Walt Walthy. Jason, you were first tonight with the two Massachusetts sheriffs, Patrick McDermott of Norfolk County and Thomas Bohler of Berkshire County.
Speaker 6: Go right ahead, Jason, Yes, thank you for taking out call, and thank you John Man for being on the show tonight. I got a question. I'm futuntly. Unfortunately, I have a history of being a guest in your houses, not particularly well.
Speaker 2: Well put, Jason, Jason, well put nicely put go right ahead.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 6: No, not specifically Norfolk or Baksha, but in Atlanta. Full Thin County, copp County in bear Rica. But I know it's a difference. In Joja, we don't have no tablets. But when I came to bear Rica, when I was a guest in bear Rica a few times for free, they got tablets. I'm like, what's the state wasting money on the tablets? All these inmates walking around listening to music. So when I was against in Capp County, I was able to complete a semester at a graduate degree. I was able to contact my professors, the Senema, teast books, the Sendema my curriculum, and I was able to complete a semester. So I spent most of my time fixing my credit writing creditors. So I was just very focused. I didn't I didn't want to become a part of that. I was in there because I made a bad decision. But anyway, come to bear Ricords, they got tablets. Even Souftfolk got tablets. I don't know if you guys got tablets in Norfolk and Baksher, But I'm like, instead of spending money those kinds of things, why not start up programs to help these inmates. Granted there's a lot of programs drug rehabs, a meetings. But most of these inmates they come out, they don't got no financial litistry, they ain't got no education. They could get a ged years granted, but when they come out, they're gonna make me my wage? How do they gonna support their lives? So don't they don't end up in the same lifestyle that got me in that place to begin with. Right, So I offered to go in there and teach these people because I made by decisions. But now I run my own self a multi million dollar real estate company, and I've been not guessing you guys h households or hotels for freeing multiple occasions, I'll say more than fifteen times. But I changed my life around.
Speaker 2: Right Jason, Jason, congratulations, congratulations for what you have done. Let me get one of both of the sheriffs to respond to your suggestions, which to me are pretty solid. And I'm so happy you listen to Night Side. Uh You're You're a credit to my audience. Thank you for for succeeding.
Speaker 6: I want to I just want to one more, one more thing, five seconds, five seconds. I volunteer to go to bear Rica to offer my services how to teach them financial real esty, how to put their life together, to connect their dats, to change and mindset. You know what, it told me, you have a criminal rate. I don't got no failing these, but it told me you're not welcome coming in here and offer your services. So how can I somebody who been in their shoes come and help because creditbility is not dead. Most of the people that go before this inmates, they don't have no credit buility, never been in jail. They don't know how it's like to be an inmate. Them stuff. I've been in the shoes, so I have the credibility to tell them what it's like to become an eMate, to become my self employed and employee and put your life together.
Speaker 2: That's my question, Jason, Jason hold On, I want to hear from the sheriffs, and I'm going to make a suggestion if you don't mind, go ahead. Whoever wants to take this first, Sheriff Bowl or Sheriff mcjermalth.
Speaker 4: Sure again, this is Sheriff Bowler Jason. First of all, congratulations and turning your life around. You know, we do use tablets for a variety of things. We also use tablets are using our educational programs that we have at our facility. But you talk about the financial literacy, and I also agree with you that some of the best mentors are those who've experienerience these uh these challenges like yourself in the past, and we utilize those mentors in our Second Street Second Chance program, that's our re entry program, and those of those we utilize those individuals to help guide and instruct those who have gone through this in the past to help others so that they can find that straight and that straight and positive pathway to success. But inside, you know, inside our facility, we use the tablets for all sorts of educational programs. We have financial literacy individuals that come in and explain things to our to our individuals, our justice uh uh involved individuals. So there's a lot of programs and things we do to create the resources, to give the resources inside our facility. But then we enhance that even more out when they when they're released through our re entry programs and we guide these and navigate these individuals through all the challenges that they'll face. Educational we set up with educational programs like yourself where you went back to school. We do housing, we do employment, we do financial literacy programs, educational programs with our Berkshire Community College that's up here in Pittsfield. So we do have those programs available. It's unfortunate that maybe on the state side that they don't. But that's the beauty of being the House of Corrections, so and being community oriented and involved in our community that we have those resources, we're able to provide those resources to our individuals.
Speaker 2: Jeff mc dumott.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, we Masters of Sheriff's across the board are leading the corrections industry nationally in terms of programming and how we address corrections in the twenty first century. And it really starts with a very simple phrase of re entry begins on day one. You know, when people come into our facilities in the House of Correction, we're immediately getting involved with who they are, what they're where they are, what keeped them into the prison system in the first place. And a lot of times it's based upon education and Jason, congratulations, we make sure that people get an education while they're incarcerated at the very basics their ged I know, in Norfork County we had partnerships with Boston College, Massassonia Community College, Mite. You can get educational credits in MIT at the Norfolk County House of Correction. Those tablets provide enormous opportunity for us to share resources with those people that are incarcerated so that they can be a step above when they get ready to go out into the community. And shaff Bohler and I both as well as many of the shriff's around the commonwealth, we believe that there needs to be a continuum of care, not just that starts in day one of incarceration, but continues post incarceration. That's why Seriff Fola has his program, the Second Street Program, and in North Fork County we call it the Hope Center. And when people come out of they're introduced with rehiny specialists within seventy two hours, and they're immediately hooked up with people on the outside that can help them reintegrate into the community, because that's what it comes down to, a better chance for them, but also a great chance for the community to be a safer place for them as well as the community members.
Speaker 2: Sheriff McDermand, I don't want to put you on the spot here, but would do you think it would be at all helpful if Jason wanted to leave his number with my producer that maybe someone from the Sheriff's Association could call him and see if he could perhaps, I don't know, do some work within the system which would help some other inmates, or is that something that would be beyond where you would be able to go.
Speaker 3: That would be fantastic because, as Sheriff Foller said, and I agree with them, because I have at least two, maybe three instructors in the Norfolk Sheriff's Office who are formally incarcerated individuals. I agree with Jason. They can talk with the people on the inside. They will as much as I want them to listen to me. They'd much rather hear from Jason and his success stories because that.
Speaker 2: Would be good. He let's do this, Jason, would you be willing to leave your phone number and someone from Sheriff McDermott's office, he is the president of the Sheriff's Association, try to work something out with you where maybe you could help people again. Whatever deal you work out, that's between you and them. So you want to leave your phone number with my producer and he will give it to Sheriff McDermott and hopefully someone will get in touch with you before the week is out. Is that? Okay? Yes?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 6: And one more last thing right the programs. That's great, but the thing is though, right, just like being in jail, you may have a case work up, but he got out of out of inmates, right, you may see him once a month, the same thing that happens when this inmates ruler.
Speaker 2: Jason. Let me do this because I'm Jason, I'm way past my time, and I got a bunch of other commercials and calls I got to get to. I would really appreciate it. Leave your phone number with Rob, my producer. He will pass that number on to Sheriff McDermott and I'm sure Share mcdermmer will follow through and they'll have someone get leave a daytime phone number so they can reach it during the day, and let's see what they work out. No promise is made in advance, but you never know. It might lead to something that's beneficial to you, to inmates and to the Sheriff's department.
Speaker 6: Okay, I thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Hang on, give Rob that number. Gentlemen. I'm we passed my break here, so I got to take a quick commercial break. Try to get a couple more phone calls in. I thought that was an interesting phone call, and I think it's just one of those opportunities that you got to feel your way through. Sheriff mcderbith, thanks for being open to the suggestion. I appreciate it very much. We'll take a quick quick break and we will get you that phone number from Rob when we finished at ten o'clock back on night side right after this.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on waz Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, we're tight on time. I'm going to go to Caitlin Is in Quincy. Caitlin, you're next on Nightside. I know you've waited a long time.
Speaker 7: Go right ahead, Hi, I'm looking to talk with the sheriffs about the affordable camps that they have for kids across the state. I'm looking to see who's eligible. I'm wondering, what's it like. Is it like dare from when I was a kid? Insight on programming? How to sign up?
Speaker 2: Okay, Shreff Bullet, you want to take this one for us?
Speaker 4: The which camps are those for the for youth camps?
Speaker 7: Yeah, the youth camps, the sheriff's camps across the state. I've heard of some neighbors kids going. I just like similar information. I'll what to expect and how to get my kids involved.
Speaker 3: So maybe Dan, because Caitlin's from Quinsy, we'll go to the home ahead We've got, you know, in Norfolk County, we've got our Youth Leadership Academy that is a popular summer youth leadership camp that is for kids from ages ten to fourteen. That's going to be that's currently being offered from June sixteenth through August fifteenth, and that's right our Branch Republic Safety Complex. Great opportunity for kids to get together to challenge themselves on leadership skills as well as good team building and creative goal setting and allows people to even take to take a little risk on going up on our ropes course. We've had twenty thousand kids go through that camp who have consistently come out loving every minute of it, making vifelong friends. And that's in brain Tree. Norfolk County also has a Medway Youth Leadership Academy, So anybody interested can go to our website Norfolk Sheriff dot Com go to our Youth Leadership Camp page get all the information you can register your kids, and it's very affordable and we're happy, but we also don't want any kid left out, and we try to make spots available, so we don't want finances to hold you back either.
Speaker 2: All right, sounds great, DABLET hope that helps.
Speaker 3: Thanks, dam You're welcome.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm going to try. We only have a little bit more than a minute and a half left if I'm reading it correctly, Mike and Newton, can you do something with this in a real brief period of time. You've only been on a few minutes, so I'm not I'm not guilty asking you to be quick, go right ahead.
Speaker 3: No, wait'll be really quick.
Speaker 4: Well up in their facility?
Speaker 3: Are they going to uh be treated?
Speaker 2: We're not going to the read case. Simple, simple as that. Mike. It's it's out of bounds. I'll rule it irrelevant. I'm sorry about that, gentlemen. Thank you very much for you. I run a tight ship, guys. I want you to know that.
Speaker 3: Okay, Mike, we definitely know that. Dad.
Speaker 2: Uh First of all, Sheriff McDermott, I do hope that you get an opportunity to have someone on your staff get in touch with Jason. He sounded to me the real deal, and it sounds like he's just dying to give back. So thank you for your time tonight. Thank you for dealing with some tough questions. Sure if Buller never had a chance to deal with you before, but you have impressed me. Both of you have impressed me. I thank you both for your time tonight, and uh and I thank you again on behalf of all my listeners for what you do every day, every day. Thank you both so much.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having us Dan.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it, great pleasure.
Speaker 2: Welcome, gentlemen, we'll talk again. Okay, thanks very much. All Right, we are done for now. When we get back, we're going to talk about Donald Trump. He met today with the Prime Minister of Canada, the new guy, Mark Carney. It was interesting and we are going to have some fun with this. I actually think, uh, and you may agree or disagree with me, but I actually think that Donald Trump is having a ball trolling people over Alcatraz and Canada. And then he may be a little more sophisticated on Canada than we're giving him credit for. We will see. So what we'll do is we'll take a quick break here. Well, thank you again, Our guest Norfolk County Sheriff Patrick McDermott and Berkshire County Sheriff Thomas Bohler, and the callers Mike and Newton. I just hope you understand the read cases not something either of them are dealing with directly, and I just did not want to put anybody on the spot unnecessarily. I appreciate your effort, but I had to issue that ruling irrelevant in the court of public opinion, at least in terms of tonight's subject at hand. We'll take a break. Here comes the ten o'clock news. The Red Sox are losing six' to one to those Pesky Texas. Rangers coming back On night's. Side