Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Coming up at the bottom of the hour, we'll be talking with Justin Worsham, host of the Dad Podcast. Always great to catch up with Justin and see what's going on in the world of parenting.
Speaker 2: The World of parenting. Jay Leno, he fell down. Jay Leno fell down a hill. Yeah, fall He fell down a hill out, a seventy four year old former Tonight Show hosts and TV personality, showed up at his comedy show over the weekend with an eye patch of broken wrist and the entire left side of his face looked like it was bruised. He was on with Conway yesterday to kind of explained what was going on, but it was it looked really, really bad. Comcast has announced it's going to move forward with a plan to spin off its NBC Universal cable TV networks, acknowledging it's going to be better off without a business that was once its crown jewel. The company last month said it was studying the idea, is now going to separate off entertainment and news channels. Like MSNBCCNBC USA, oxygen E, Sci Fi and Golf Channel. Bravo of course known for the Real Housewives franchise, and another will stay in the mother Ship, along with a Peacock streaming service, and of course the NBC broadcast network.
Speaker 1: Well, Big Food, which once was Big Tobacco, but then with a war on Big Tobacco was waged and they pivoted to big Food, and they've been marketing products to people who can't stop eating, making it seem like it's okay that you can't stop eating. In fact, it's very in to binge eat. It's very in to order six different entrees at the fast food joint. In fact, we'll give you six for two or something like that. Now suddenly the people who can't stop eating can because of ozembic, because of waygovy, because of these GLP ones.
Speaker 3: Taylor is an example.
Speaker 1: Taylor lives and Hayward used to nurse a sugar addiction, he said, but now he can no longer stomach hostess traits. He had some candy from his daughter a couple days before this interview. He said, I just couldn't it was so sweet it choked me. This is a guy whould have a midnight snack cereal. But now at midnight he gets these strange urges for salads, chicken. He doesn't want sodas, he doesn't want fruit juices. He has water with lemon and cucumber. He loves Swiss charred eats, a lot of kale. That's a nightmare scenario for big food. Yeah, they talk about just the lack of desire. Well, another guy, Larry, is a sixty nine year old from Pittsburgh, Kansas, and he described being just emptied of desire for what he used to love.
Speaker 2: He's on way govy. He says he's thirty five pounds lighter than he was in the spring. And he said his whole life was fast food. Now the first place he goes when he goes to the store the produce section. My favorite is the Mount Rainier cherries and apples, the peaches and pears. Almost everyone's cravings for those ultra processed foods were replaced with a lust for fresh and unpackaged alternatives. It's not just and I don't understand the brain chemistry of this. It's not just that you feel full, it's that you don't have a desire for those types of foods anymore. My father was diagnosed pre diabetic a few years ago, and the doctor had suggested a full change of his diet, no sugar at all, among other things. And he was a guy who always had a garden fresh, you know, not a lot, but zucchini and cucumbers and peppers and.
Speaker 4: Things like that.
Speaker 2: And he said that things like bell peppers became dessert to him, because when you take out the artificial sugars from your diet, your body begins to reacclimate and crave the actual natural sugars that occur in those foods, and that certain things like citrus and apples were almost too sweet for him.
Speaker 3: That's so fascinating.
Speaker 1: It just realized how screwed up your taste buds are, how messed up they've become. They say around seven million Americans now take this GLP one drug, and that by twenty thirty five that is going to be at about twenty four million. From seven million to twenty four million. Are they anticipating that these drugs get subsidized in some way because right now they're punitively expensive.
Speaker 4: Well, and they're going to fight again.
Speaker 2: The food industry is massive, and they are going to fight against the government any sort of government subsidies for those types of drugs.
Speaker 4: But here's the issue.
Speaker 2: We still don't know what the long term effects of being on something like this is down in the future, you'll lose your left arm. Well, let me use the example of olestra. Remember when olestra came into it into being in the mid nineties, I think something like that, and they wanted to throw it into potato chips among other snack foods, because they it was an indigestible fat substitute that didn't have any calories.
Speaker 4: The problem is you would often.
Speaker 2: Blow out whatever pant product you had on at the time because it would cause not my words, fecal incontinence.
Speaker 4: Now do you know what they use olestra for now? Are They don't use it in humans anymore?
Speaker 2: Don't they use it to paint decks and lubricate power tool Hell? And we were wow, because we're that obsessed with finding the chips.
Speaker 1: Oh my god boy, oh boys. Right, you mentioned Pittsburgh, Kansas. It's funny to me Pittsburgh, Kansas. So is Manhattan, Kansas. I'm watching a show right now in Manhattan, Kansas. A bunch of new Yorkers came out to Kansas and just decided to name it after Manhattan.
Speaker 4: They could think anything else.
Speaker 1: Guess, uh, fascinating, But it is a what you watch on Wednesday. It is the show that I am referring to is on HBO Max and I've gotten into it pretty heavy. Somebody somewhere is the name of it, heard of it and it's very good. Okay, it's not for you. Oh but it's one of those.
Speaker 3: Well it's just I don't think that you would. It's not for you.
Speaker 4: Tell me what's for me and what's not?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, a lot of that, all right, Okay, well farming we will get into say, oh yeah, we have a swamp watch. We forgot to do swamp I know, I totally forgot to do swamp watch.
Speaker 3: All right, My bad. I get confused sometimes with the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's kind of difficult lately, isn't it? With the clock on the wall several?
Speaker 3: All right, Well you didn't pull me back.
Speaker 4: Because we were talking about fun stuff, right, yeah. Fecal incontinents very upset at that.
Speaker 2: Still, about four hundred and eighty seven thousand people or households without power up in Washington State after this double bomb cyclone rattled through Washington State overnight. Hurricanes hurricane force winds hit the area. Authority said at least one person was killed. We're starting to see some of the effects of this big, powerful storm coming through northern California. We've seen avalanche warnings posted for Mount Shasta, the North Bay area, the Sonoma Marin County area expected to see as much as ten inches of rain over the next two or three days up there.
Speaker 4: JD.
Speaker 1: Vans and Matt Gates have met behind closed doors with GOP senators today in Washington.
Speaker 3: That's where we kick off Swamp Watch.
Speaker 6: Swamp is horrible, so the.
Speaker 4: Government doesn't work.
Speaker 3: Man, gonna make this like a reality TV show.
Speaker 6: Corn Pop was a bad doos always.
Speaker 3: A pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, d C.
Speaker 7: A Joe, a town all too clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways still a swamp.
Speaker 3: I have to watch Malwaukee, he.
Speaker 6: Said, drained the swamp. I said, oh that's so helle. You know the thing.
Speaker 1: Senators leaving these closed door meetings with Gates and JD. Vance had a message, just get the man to a hearing. Swaths of Senate Republicans have not committed to supporting Gates. Lisa Murkowski Susan Collins have been vocal about serious doubts and getting him confirmed as attorney general. He has a litany of allegations he's faced, including he had sex with a minor that he paid for sex. He has denied doing any wrongdoing. The House Ethics Committee today right now trying to decide whether to share the report that they've been assembling on those accusations for more than a year.
Speaker 2: Senator John Kennedy Ala Louisiana was asked about it in the halls of the Capitol this morning. This meeting that was called between the Vice president elect, Like you said, JD Vance and Matt Gabe, and.
Speaker 7: J D asked for the meeting, and you know, we may talk about the Daniel's cowboys.
Speaker 8: I think you're undecided.
Speaker 6: They think you're so I have no idea.
Speaker 7: You don't have to talk to them. They just said for a meeting, and I said, sure, I love meetings.
Speaker 6: Do you do you have concerns about Kates? Have you decided where you ben?
Speaker 7: We've got a process, as you know, and we're going to follow it and we're going to have a full hearing in front of God and Country, and we're going to vet all the nomination, not just Congress when gauged.
Speaker 2: So the House Ethics Committee, like you said, is meeting right now. I guess one of the things that they're concerned about, at least the chair of the committee is concerned about it, is that the report itself is not complete, which.
Speaker 3: It wasn't said to be in its final stages right right.
Speaker 2: But I don't know if that means they just haven't printed it on the correct letterhead yet or what does it mean that they're not complete now. Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee, since they're the ones who would be in charge of confirming or denying Matt Gates's nomination, they've sent a letter to the Director of the FBI to ask for the complete evidentiary file from the FBI's investigation into these allegations of sex trafficking of minors against Gates. The Democratic senators said that the allegations are significant in light of the fact that his associated a guy named Joel Greenberg, had pleaded guilty to sex trafficking charges for which Gates was also investigated, and they wrote in their letter in order for the Senate to perform its constitutional duty. In this instance, we must be able to thoroughly review all relevant materials that speak to the credibility of these serious allegations. Democrats note that the FBI in the past provided more than two thousand pages of interviews and summaries related to the investigations of improper fundraising by the Clinton Gore campaign, and hundreds of thousands of documents related to the decision not to charge former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for her use of that private email server. So they said, basically that if you're willing to do that, you should be willing to divulge some of the information about potential Republican that you're investigating.
Speaker 1: Details about DOZE continue to come out Trump's new Department of Government Efficiency. Of course, Elon Musk and Vivek Ramaswami have been tapped to run this thing. They say that they are expected to make a push for an end to remote work across federal agencies as they try to reduce the federal workforce through attrition. They have publicly lamented the number of employees working remotely across the government. Early priorities include an effort to immediately end all of this, making a five day work week a requirement for all federal employees. The thinking is that this kind of mandate, coupled with moving agencies out of DC, will cause many federal workers to just voluntarily leave, so then they'll be able to thin out the federal workforce ranks and say the government money. About two million people have government federal government jobs. And I saw a rundown and business insider this morning of how much people make. I mean, is it is insane. Let's see Department of Veterans Affairs. There's about four hundred and eighty six thousand people who work in that and the average salaries one hundred and five thousand dollars. Most of the salaries are upwards of one hundred thousand dollars. Department of Commerce one hundred and twenty one thousand, Department of Energy one hundred and forty three. Remember these are the average salaries. Department of Labor one hundred and twenty one thousand, State Department one thirty two, Housing in Urban Development one hundred and thirty four thousand.
Speaker 2: That is also an interesting this department of government. What is the word department of government psfficiency chenk Wiger from the Young Turks tweeted out, I asked Elon must to put me in charge of cutting the Pentagon, and he said, well, what are your suggestions? And Chenk wrote on Twitter, I run the largest left wing network online and a Democratic leader has never asked me that question. The idea that they would take advice from a populist is disdainful to them. Now, which side seems more open and inclusive, Which side seems more welcoming, and which side tries really hard to drive you away if you disagree even with a little orthodoxy. Which side is asking for suggestions and which one is demanding compliance and obedience. It's a quite a take on that.
Speaker 1: Circling back to the trans women in capital bathrooms conversation.
Speaker 4: Yes because we wanted that.
Speaker 1: Mike Johnson announced today that transgender women are not permitted to use the bathrooms in the capital that match their gender identity. This would apply to bathrooms and house office buildings, changing rooms, locker rooms.
Speaker 2: South Carolina Congresswoman Nancy Mace was the one who brought that up in the first place.
Speaker 8: So the height of hypocrisy, the height of gas lighting. They're threatening to kill me now because I, as a woman, am standing up to protect other women from men being in our private spaces, our restrooms, bathrooms, locker rooms, changing rooms, you name it. And so now they're threatening to kill me over this. I'm being bullied online.
Speaker 3: There you go the statement.
Speaker 1: By the way, Mike Johnson's statement was made on Transgender Day of Remembrance.
Speaker 4: When was that?
Speaker 1: Was?
Speaker 4: Today?
Speaker 3: Today? Day two?
Speaker 7: Am?
Speaker 1: I realized trans people who lost their lives to anti trans violence.
Speaker 2: President Trump, President elect Trump, it's hard to say that all the time has.
Speaker 4: Chosen Matthew Whittaker.
Speaker 2: Trump has chosen Matthew Whittaker to be the ambassador to NATO. Whittaker has been around, He's been a talking head for quite a while.
Speaker 3: But I said Deputy AG.
Speaker 2: He was acting AG. Well, he was deputy AG. And then for Jeff's Sessions. No, I take that back, he was chief of staff. I think for Jeff Sessions. When Jeff Sessions was Attorney General, Jeff Sessions stepped down and that's when Matthew Whittaker stepped in for a short time. If confirmed, Matthew Whitaker leads the US mission to NATO during a period where this is going to be facing one of its toughest challenges, which is how to continue to support a Ukraine. However, we choose to support Ukraine in the ongoing war against Russia. As a reminder about twelve thirty today, we're going to be talking with military analyst Brian Suits, host of The Dark Secret Place coming up at twelve thirty about what's going on, whether that has any impact, the whole discussion of anti personnel minds, the attack EM's missile systems that are now being used by Ukraine, et cetera.
Speaker 4: By the way, giggling never good.
Speaker 9: Sorry, you're your Your prayer for Shannon had been dying in God, you don't know me, and it was definitely heightened by your sheer enjoyment of it.
Speaker 6: That made it okay for all of us to Yeah.
Speaker 4: The pastors that are like, no, it's not correct.
Speaker 6: Well, even that was great. They were like, theologically it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I think you under the rail.
Speaker 6: I like that. That's scarier for you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know me at all meant to be paying attention in any way. The first time it was said, it's like, oh, that's funny, Garry, but he really knows you.
Speaker 6: Wait, what.
Speaker 9: I have to leave and reathink A lot of my choices I have so many amends to make.
Speaker 6: Evidently the next.
Speaker 2: Hour we're going to be talking about the best Thanksgiving side dish. So you can always send us a talkback feature on the iHeart apes. What's your best Thanksgiving such? I love sweet potatoes.
Speaker 9: I have a great sweet potato story too, because when my wife was pregnant with our first son, it was Father's Day weekend. We were visiting the family and she had a craving of sweet potatoes and my mom had some cans one in there, and so she put it in the thing and put the marshmallows on top, even though it was like summer, And my eight year old niece was in front of my wife to make her plate, and my eight year old niece scooped off half of the marshmallows on the top of the tray and slapped them on her plate. And my wife said, hey, some of us want to eat that to you, little bitch, and stabbed her in with a fork.
Speaker 4: She was an eight year old girl was an eight month old girl.
Speaker 9: No, eight year old, eight year old. I don't know, it makes it better. It's definitely better than eight month old.
Speaker 3: Pregnant.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, she was. She was probably about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a pregnant woman.
Speaker 9: Or Natalie just in general, my wife with food in general, man, she is she gets nasty.
Speaker 2: Like really, oh yeah, you would like put your hand next to her face when she's eating.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 9: We had a very big calf guy with a ponytail come by so I could to socialize with my.
Speaker 3: Wife food in security.
Speaker 6: I don't know. I think it's uh.
Speaker 9: I used to have a joke in my stand up BacT this is so bad for Natalie, like being married to me isn't enough.
Speaker 6: But she used to.
Speaker 9: We went to Chipotle while I was on the road and she was pregnant, and I had to resist the ear to laugh because she was this is while I'm driving the car to the comedy club.
Speaker 6: This is what I hear.
Speaker 9: Look at her and just she's there with her pregnant belly and all her adorable nust and just shoveling every hoop hole.
Speaker 6: And I couldn't resist.
Speaker 9: I'm not a good enough man, And I had to go, honey, honey, nobody's going to take that from to tell him noises.
Speaker 6: She was like a dog.
Speaker 9: It was like an asm of a dog eating a She was breathing heavy because of the spice that heightened it.
Speaker 3: But so things like is it time to feed?
Speaker 6: I love him? Uh, you believe you're so really about my wife? Then you just thought it was you. I think it's all women.
Speaker 3: I really pretty and so polite. Yeah, you know, I expect this kind of behavior from men.
Speaker 2: Justin Morrison was joined as we talked all stuff parenting. We talked a lot about phones at school and whether or not kids are actually safer with phones at school.
Speaker 9: If anybody's really interested, I don't know it says about me. But because of this new legislation that Gavin Newsom's putting out saying that you know, phones are not going to be allowed in schools right, and there's more and more states that I think are doing that are already had existing legislation.
Speaker 6: So Psychology today.
Speaker 9: Doing a series on this topic, and one of the things that they talked about is that and this is what I hear from parents. I don't know if it's the same thing, is that the pushback parents have for wanting their kids to have a phone is for their safety. And what I hear, whether it's right or not, is that they are concerned that there is going to be some kind of an active shooter situation at their school and they won't be able to get in touch with their kids and to or their kids to be able to get in touch with them, and somehow that's going to change things.
Speaker 6: I don't know why.
Speaker 9: It makes me feel like I'm a bad parent, but I don't I feel like I don't need my kid to call me like I think. If that's going on, there are people there that are working through it, and that's a lot of the arguments that they have experts like police officers and principles superintendents who weighed in on this, and they've said, we've had actual situations where there was an emergency on campus and that the system gets so overloaded from parents trying to contact their kids that they can't contact their kids. There was another example that was given where I think by a principle where he said the kids were calling and when the cops arrived, there were so many parents already at the school that the cops couldn't even get to the school easily.
Speaker 6: There was just too much traffic.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think if because when you said I don't need my kids to call me, but once your kids want to call you, if they were terrified, Like wouldn't that be who they wanted to call?
Speaker 3: Or no, Yes, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I don't know why.
Speaker 9: I'm just being honest, Like, I get that, I totally get that. But the whole time I'm reading this and every time I hear this argument from parents, like like.
Speaker 1: I don't want to think of my kids terrified in a class themselves, themselves even wanting to get a hold of me, and me not being able to be there for them like in that moment. I don't know, that's really hard to think about that scenario.
Speaker 2: But we have to remember that the as high profile as school shootings are, they're very, very very rare.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, but your mind goes to worst case scenario.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I get I mean, I've done plenty of that awful mind game stuff that you do with your own kids and their safety or health or whatever. I just would assume that kids are more likely to be in a car accident on the way to or from schools.
Speaker 9: Then That's what I was going to say, is that, for whatever, I think, Shannon's point has kind of honestly blown my mind a little bit.
Speaker 6: I'm thinking because it's for such.
Speaker 9: A joking like I'm genuinely a sensitive person, But why is it that I don't I'm not. I never crossed my mind to think that my kid would be terrified. And I think it's because I'm more thinking of like the risk reward, right if they don't have their phones, and that means that they're just paying better attention in the classroom when that's what they're that's what they're there to do, right, And I don't think I even have to worry about my sons in this regard. But still, I'm like, to me, it makes sense. I'm like, fine, take the phone. He doesn't need it. People went forever in school, including all of us, never had a phone, and we're all fine.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's the other issue that I mean, because we've talked about this before in the context of LA Unified and their plans, you know, coming up in a couple of months where they're going to ban phones from schools. Basically, the and the and the pushback a lot of times is this issue of I would I would not allow my kid to go to school without a phone, And I don't know. I guess it just seems to me like it's naive or we're now so conditioned to having immediate contact that in those moments that we don't have it, we think automatically think the worst. We talked about it just a couple of weeks ago when we were talking about who you track, who do you follow on your phone? You know, why do you need to know your kid's location twenty four hours a day.
Speaker 4: Because we've gotten used to it, that's why.
Speaker 2: Not because it makes you any better, or make your kids safer, or make it's just that we've gotten used to it.
Speaker 9: For me, it's entirely selfish. I've tracked my wife and now my kids. But I started tracking my wife's phone when I was on the road because before she knew it, before she.
Speaker 6: Even knew my name. It's because if I.
Speaker 9: Was gone on the road and I had a time that I want to talk to when I called her, and if she didn't answer, it would genuinely help me not worry. If I looked at where she was and if I saw she was at home, could be wrong. She could have left the phone. This is just my dumb brain. But I was like, if it's at home, she's taking care of the kids, or she's out, I see she's at the grocery store, she's busy, she can't talk right now, like that kind of stuff. But people thought it was because I didn't trust her, and it wasn't that. It was because I just I just it made me feel easier to be in Texas and know what was going on. To a certain extent, Yes, and I mean I have the same I tracked my wife and my kids. I know where they are, but I don't need to all the time, and it's not something that I'm obsessed with. But I wonder if there's a if I took it off my phone, or if I dis disfollow.
Speaker 4: Unfollow.
Speaker 2: Social media, if I unfollowed them from from Find my Friends or whatever, would I then constantly think about, God, how do I find where they are?
Speaker 6: I don't think I wouldn't. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 9: I'm honestly this sounds like I'm making fun, But I think Shannon's comment is going to make me do a little bit of searching of like, what is it about me that doesn't make me first go to why what my kid's terrified?
Speaker 6: I would want them to be able to reach out to really if possible.
Speaker 9: And I really think it's that the cell phones have to be such a huge problem in the classroom for teachers and the schools just to manage.
Speaker 6: I mean think about it too.
Speaker 9: For them to go to a legislative extent on this stuff is really seems like there's got to be a lot of people complaining about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Justin Warsham has joined as we talk parenting, Tom Brady has given you a run for your money, man.
Speaker 6: He is.
Speaker 9: He's coming in hot with a lot of the parenting advice. There was this clickbait thing where he said that what he screwed up his kids, But this is another interview that he did with the editor in chief of Fortune magazine, and he said, this is a quote, think of today's world, how we screw these kids up. Every time they mess up, we send them to an easier place to succeed. And he goes on to basically talk about I think what it is is that I don't know of I can't think of a specific example where anybody that I know has looked put a kid in a situation and go, let's take them out of this and find someplace else where they can succeed.
Speaker 2: I know people who have moved out of the state so that their kid would be a starting player on a football There.
Speaker 9: Seems to be a growing trend though of like these players who are transferring to different schools just because it's a better opportunity. It always made sense to me because it's like, well, for they need to get exposure so they can hopefully get a better draft spot or even a draft spot in the NFL. But his point is is that you have to learn to overcome that adversity. And I think all of us would agree with that. I think that this growing trend of making things easier for your kids is taking away their ability to overcome struggle and difficulty. And I think that's really what he's going at, Like, if you don't make your kids push through and overcome something like even says, let me see if I can find it. He basically says that whatever's great. Oh, we've all faced different challenges in life, We've all faced our own adversities. Look at the hardest thing, that hardest things that have happened ever happened. We look back at those and realize they're the best things that could have happened.
Speaker 6: And I don't I would agree. Like usually when.
Speaker 1: Usure Tom Brady, of course, winning that many super Bowls is the best thing that has ever happened in the heardest.
Speaker 6: I don't think he's talking about that. I think he's like, he's saying that like struggling in.
Speaker 9: High school to become the starter and doing the same thing I think at Michigan. I think he's saying, overcoming all of that that's more important to him than those successes because they define his character.
Speaker 6: Am I am I putting too many words in. I mean, don't get me wrong, Shan.
Speaker 9: I think it's very easy to listen bad advice when you're Tom Brady because it all worked out.
Speaker 1: I'm not exactly. I'm not a hater of Tom Brady. I don't hate excellence. I don't hate complete dedication to being the best.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I applaud it. But I'm not going to Tom Brady for parenting advice. If you know one thing in the NFL, he was in the NFL for how many years?
Speaker 6: Twenty three?
Speaker 3: Okay, he never saw his kids. And that's not me being rude.
Speaker 1: That's seeing how much time players and coaches spend at the facility and playing football.
Speaker 3: And at a high level, and to do it.
Speaker 1: For that, he didn't parent there was no parenting there, So like maybe that's why he's now talking about it because he actually has eyes.
Speaker 3: On his kids, and it's not a knock on him personally.
Speaker 1: It's just that schedule does not allow you to raise your kids the way you raise your kid.
Speaker 6: True.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I would not be tumb Brady because I would like, I quit being a stand up because I wanted to be home with my kids.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: There's this secondary issue here too that I think is that at least he may be pointing to, which is it's good to have a kid get a win every once in a while. I mean, the struggle is one thing, learning how to struggle, learning how to cope, learning how to pick yourself up and start over. Do the constant failure. Constant failure is bad. I mean, if you're not of the right mindset, you're done. It'll be hard to get win back in your sales.
Speaker 1: I have a girlfriend whose son is I believe he's thirteen, twelve, thirteen, and we have a conversation recently where he was trying out for a play and he didn't get the role that he wanted, and then something went wrong at school, and she's like, just this kid needs to have a win, like at that time of his life, you know, that that middle school time, how boys in particular can get really down on themselves when it feels like everything's against them, you know. And it was just like, I just got to figure out a way to get.
Speaker 3: This kid a win. And then he ended up having.
Speaker 1: Like a great soccer game or football I forget what sport he was playing at the time, but you know, it was just great that he had a good night, you know, and it kind of made everything go away, But that he was really down for like a week or so because it seemed like things were stacking up against him.
Speaker 6: Well, and that.
Speaker 2: Doom loop that we talked about before is really it's really easy to lean into that, especially when it comes to things like social media or whatever, where you see other people succeeding when you're not right. The other people are posting about their wins and you don't have any to post.
Speaker 4: About, and that it just you know, continues.
Speaker 2: We've talked before about the algorithm that once you start seeing that stuff, you can't not see it anymore, right, And that's kind of one of the right Shannon, because and Gary, like I'm looking back, middle school has so far has been the most difficult part of parenting. I would say it's even more difficult than when they were babies, like just with the lack of sleep, because there's there's just this different weight of emotional like there their emotion, they're learning about how to deal with their emotions, and there's just bigger stakes at what's going on in their life for them and I think even for me as their dad. And when my son was real he was he was failing a lot, like things were not going well with him. But what ended up happening was he did not get cast in the dance ensemble, and without being asked, he came home very upset, like in tears. He just said he went to the choreographer and said, can I just come to the rehearsals. I just this is to this day so far, this is one of the most proudest things my son has ever done. In my opinion.
Speaker 9: He went in there and said, I just want to be here for the practices even though I can't do it, because I want to learn. And eventually the teacher respected it and put him in the dance ensemble by the end of the year, even though he said at the beginning he's like, you're not getting.
Speaker 3: In this is it's really incredible?
Speaker 9: Right he was he was twelve years old to be that vulnerable at that age and just commit saying I just want to do this. And the reason why I think I came in here all hot, saying I think Tom Brady brings up a lot.
Speaker 6: Of good points, even the chips. Right he never talked to his kids when they were little.
Speaker 4: Is that he might need to.
Speaker 9: Maybe I projecting myself into what he's doing, because when I looked at that opportunity, even though overcoming that is a big reason why my son is as self confident as he is, and it's hard to break his self confidence.
Speaker 3: That wasn't something he overcome.
Speaker 1: He took the matter into his own hands and changed his fate in the in the matter, yes, like that's incredible.
Speaker 9: With no chance of reward, no promise of anything. Did it just blindly because he felt that's the right thing to do.
Speaker 3: That's something you would do, I think.
Speaker 9: So I don't know. I don't think I would have done it his age. I really don't think I would have done it as twelve, I was so weak. He also like he's got a character of like get a girlfriend. He gets into high school.
Speaker 6: He's a good looking dude. He's my son. Come on, he's got a comment.
Speaker 9: How could he not be The jeans are there, regardless of what his mom was bringing to the soup.
Speaker 6: Okay, but the point.
Speaker 4: Is, I swear one day we're gonna have her in here.
Speaker 6: We'd be like, no, that could never happen.
Speaker 4: Natalie comes out of the closet change.
Speaker 6: I wish I was.
Speaker 9: Different, not like when she was around. That's not that's that that's what makes me worse. But yeah, these girls that were liking him, that were older, and he just he was always into his girlfriend at the time. And I could tell you without a shadow of a doubt that if a freshman justin had a girl that was like a sophomore or junior that was firting with me, I'd be like, it's been lovely, thank you for your time. I'm just gonna go see what's going on over here for a quick sec. But there, he's a good kid. They're both good dudes.
Speaker 4: Horribly long as it could last. Sorry, it's what.
Speaker 3: Dudes, I'm a lady.
Speaker 4: Okay, tell where.
Speaker 6: God he's on fire. Stop we have to stop. He said, where with such a perfect intonation.
Speaker 4: It was so my godness.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap